Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Jet2 Hold Pool

Old 28th Oct 2023, 12:20
  #521 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: the land of chocolate
Posts: 427
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
Oasis is offline  
Old 30th Oct 2023, 22:06
  #522 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: London
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It took a few weeks after the assessment day to get offered a course for my first choice of base. FYI non type rated FOs are being offered 75% contracts if they donít have any previous Boeing or Airbus experience.
byrdstrike is offline  
Old 31st Oct 2023, 21:11
  #523 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by go-around flap 15
My input - as someone that lives just on the border of the 1:30 commute time allowable by the company but chooses to rent a bolthole nearby for consecutive days of flying. Some crew commute 1:30 each way every day. I don't believe this is feasible long term as the fatigue effects on the body are unsustainable in peak summer roster periods (in my opinion having attempted it previously!)

Peak summer: (late June/July/August/early September) I generally manage 60% of the nights in a month in my own bed by driving up to start the run of duties day 1, and driving home after landing the final day. [~15 days a month of flying not incl. standbys]

Spring/Autumn: 80% of nights in my own bed a month. [~8 days of flying per month not incl. standbys]

Winter: 95% of nights per month in my own bed [~3-5 days of flying per month not incl. standbys]

Hope that helps. A word of advice though is that the company has been keen to make sure that those that live on the cusp of/outside the commutable distance as per the contract have made arrangements to stay closer to the airport before a flying/standby duty. There have been instances this year of delays due to crew pushing the limits on the 60 mile / 90 minute rule.
It is not legally enforceable for a company to determine where an employee resides. Even in if itís in the contract.
flyboy146 is offline  
Old 31st Oct 2023, 21:23
  #524 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 715
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboy146
It is not legally enforceable for a company to determine where an employee resides. Even in if itís in the contract.
Maybe not, but it is perfectly legal to require a crew member to be no more than 90 minutes travel time to the airport for rest reasons. Ask the CAA.

So you can choose to live as far away as you want but youíd better not have travelled more than 90 mins to work if something goes wrong that day. Thatís why the rule is there.

Last edited by Mr Good Cat; 31st Oct 2023 at 21:38.
Mr Good Cat is offline  
Old 31st Oct 2023, 21:41
  #525 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Good Cat
Maybe not, but it is perfectly legal to require a crew member to be no more than 90 minutes travel time to the airport for rest reasons. Ask the CAA.

So you can choose to live as far away as you want but youíd better have not have travelled more than 90 mins to work if something goes wrong that day. Thatís why the rule is there.
No doubt it is a legal requirement to be well rested for your duty. That judgement is on the crew member only. The 90 minutes is moot and not enforceable.What is the 90 mins based on? One could easily get stuck in traffic on a 60 minute journey which could then take 91 minutes - so what? You call fatigued because itís ďnot legalĒ? Of course not. The CAA would say its based on the judgement of the crew member as it has always been and thatís why it is on the crew member to judge fatigue levels in a non punitive fashion.
flyboy146 is offline  
Old 1st Nov 2023, 02:59
  #526 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: aaa
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboy146
No doubt it is a legal requirement to be well rested for your duty. That judgement is on the crew member only. The 90 minutes is moot and not enforceable.What is the 90 mins based on? One could easily get stuck in traffic on a 60 minute journey which could then take 91 minutes - so what? You call fatigued because itís ďnot legalĒ? Of course not. The CAA would say its based on the judgement of the crew member as it has always been and thatís why it is on the crew member to judge fatigue levels in a non punitive fashion.
That's why the "90 minutes" is defined in the employment contract
SpamCanDriver is offline  
Old 1st Nov 2023, 07:42
  #527 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: big green wheely bin
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you’re both missing is where is “work”? For jet2 it’s the crew room. So if you’re Manchester based and in staff south you can actually only live about 45 mins from the airport for the 90 mins to work.
The whole thing isn’t legally enforceable, but that doesn’t really matter if you want a peaceful existence.
Jonty is online now  
Old 1st Nov 2023, 22:56
  #528 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: aaa
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonty
What youíre both missing is where is ďworkĒ? For jet2 itís the crew room. So if youíre Manchester based and in staff south you can actually only live about 45 mins from the airport for the 90 mins to work.
The whole thing isnít legally enforceable, but that doesnít really matter if you want a peaceful existence.
I dont know what your contract says, but that is not what it says in mine. The 90 mins is based on normal traffic conditions and a maximum distance from the airport.

When you actually have to leave home to get to the crew room in order not to be late for your report, is a separate matter. Which obviously varies on report time, day of the week, road works, security queues etc etc etc

Not sure what you mean by "legally enforceable" but if your place of rest doesn't meet the contractual requirements (which you signed). Then you would be in breach of contract, which could lead to disciplinary actions.
SpamCanDriver is offline  
Old 1st Nov 2023, 23:10
  #529 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 340
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what the 90 minutes is all about? My contract says, live within 60 miles or 75 mins of base. Thatís a duty of care for fatigue purposes. Standby callout is 2 hours.
737 Jockey is online now  
Old 2nd Nov 2023, 00:14
  #530 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: aaa
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Jockey
Not sure what the 90 minutes is all about? My contract says, live within 60 miles or 75 mins of base. Thatís a duty of care for fatigue purposes. Standby callout is 2 hours.
There are obviously some different/newer? contracts out there.
SpamCanDriver is offline  
Old 2nd Nov 2023, 00:57
  #531 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK
Age: 35
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's nothing to do with contracts, it's to comply with this FTL guidance material:

GM1 CS FTL.1.200 Home base

TRAVELLING TIME

Crew members should consider making arrangements for temporary accommodation closer to their home base if the travelling time from their residence to their home base usually exceeds 90 minutes.

(My underlining)

Of course different contracts may have more restrictive rules and mine certainly did when I joined - whether those are enforceable is debatable.

To paraphrase Mr Good Cat, live wherever you want but if you have an incident then it would be wise to have proof that you didn't drive in that day from your house that's 2 hours away. I've had a letter from Jet2 asking me to consider my accommodation arrangements, as the permanent address they held for me was 5 hours travel time from my base, so they must audit it occasionally. As ever, it's unlikely to be a problem until other factors make it a problem.

I honestly don't know where it's defined, but I've always been under the impression that the staff car park is the place that matters, not the crew room (as it's so variable by airline and base). Hence why standby callout is 2 hours to the car park. i.e. 30 minutes to get out of the house and your 90 minutes travel time.

Last edited by k737; 2nd Nov 2023 at 01:04. Reason: Formatting
k737 is offline  
Old 2nd Nov 2023, 02:41
  #532 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: aaa
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k737
It's nothing to do with contracts, it's to comply with this FTL guidance material:

GM1 CS FTL.1.200 Home base

TRAVELLING TIME

Crew members should consider making arrangements for temporary accommodation closer to their home base if the travelling time from their residence to their home base usually exceeds 90 minutes.

(My underlining)

Of course different contracts may have more restrictive rules and mine certainly did when I joined - whether those are enforceable is debatable.

To paraphrase Mr Good Cat, live wherever you want but if you have an incident then it would be wise to have proof that you didn't drive in that day from your house that's 2 hours away. I've had a letter from Jet2 asking me to consider my accommodation arrangements, as the permanent address they held for me was 5 hours travel time from my base, so they must audit it occasionally. As ever, it's unlikely to be a problem until other factors make it a problem.

I honestly don't know where it's defined, but I've always been under the impression that the staff car park is the place that matters, not the crew room (as it's so variable by airline and base). Hence why standby callout is 2 hours to the car park. i.e. 30 minutes to get out of the house and your 90 minutes travel time.
I'm sorry but it is to do with contracts, it's stipulated in mine.
The reason it's stipulated in the employment contracts, is because of the fatigue management scheme, which is based on the guidance issued from EASA you quoted.

Anyway that's enough thread drift from me
SpamCanDriver is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2023, 01:00
  #533 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: England
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EZY to J2

Has anyone here gone from EZY to J2 who can share their opinions for fellow colleagues weighing up options and life considerations for potential ship jumping, before they give up all hope entirely and just take up pig farming or become a local dog walking alcoholic.
dhc1180 is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2023, 17:58
  #534 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: newbury
Posts: 72
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhc1180
Has anyone here gone from EZY to J2 who can share their opinions for fellow colleagues weighing up options and life considerations for potential ship jumping, before they give up all hope entirely and just take up pig farming or become a local dog walking alcoholic.
Id say go with pig farming over dog walking alco
Prob30Tempo TSRA is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2023, 18:27
  #535 (permalink)  
Gender Faculty Specialist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stop being so stupid, it's Sean's turn
Posts: 1,856
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Goof handful of exEzy at my base. All are happy and looking forward to the 'Bus.
Chesty Morgan is online now  
Old 4th Nov 2023, 10:10
  #536 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Neither here or there
Posts: 309
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if it's been mentioned already. What chance for the Airbus at STN in the next year?
CW247 is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2023, 10:18
  #537 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 340
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CW247
Sorry if it's been mentioned already. What chance for the Airbus at STN in the next year?

Think it has been mentioned above. 2026 is the earliest date for the bus at STN unfortunately. EDI is set to receive 3 next year I believe. With the 4/5 hour sectors of our bread & butter Canaries/Turkey/Greek routes, the 321 will be a very welcome work environment going forward.
737 Jockey is online now  
Old 4th Nov 2023, 10:21
  #538 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Not in UK
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA is next for the bus after EDI I believe.
santacruz is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2023, 13:52
  #539 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: the land of chocolate
Posts: 427
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an assessment coming up for DEC.

Where could I go to find out about the simulator profile?
Anything special for the interview day itself, group exercises or quizzes to be done?
What are the chances of a BRS basing?

Thanks in advance..
Oasis is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2023, 14:31
  #540 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just trying to gauge how long NTR FO have been swimming recently following successful assessment? Thanks for any info.
DCT_ELSIR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.