Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Disruptive Jet2 passenger getting a big bill

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Disruptive Jet2 passenger getting a big bill

Old 19th Jul 2019, 19:18
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,389
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google finds this isn't the first time Jet2 have sent a bill but it does seem to be the biggest....

2015 - £5,000
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/t...ear-5k-9615769

2016 - £12,000
https://www.jet2.com/News/Lifetime_B...ert_Passenger/

2017 - £25,000
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/513743...mophobic-rant/
cwatters is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 22:11
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: uk
Posts: 301
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
I'm guessing you're not a company director. Nor a lawyer.
I'm a customer and and an employee at some stage, as are we all. If you want to shirk your moral responsibility these are the idiots you end up dealing with.
Order of priority:
Employees
Customers
Shareholders.
Sort out the first two and the third group will be happy.
Show me where that isn't true.

16024 is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2019, 08:23
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 14,593
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 16024 View Post
I'm a customer and and an employee at some stage, as are we all. If you want to shirk your moral responsibility these are the idiots you end up dealing with.
Order of priority:
Employees
Customers
Shareholders.
Sort out the first two and the third group will be happy.
Show me where that isn't true.
No argument with any of that, only with the suggestion that legally it's fine for a company to put customers' and/or employees' interests ahead of its shareholders' (should those interests differ, though often they will coincide).

It simply isn't.

And now, back to discussing disruptive passengers ...
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2019, 22:35
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: uk
Posts: 301
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
No argument with any of that, only with the suggestion that legally it's fine for a company to put customers' and/or employees' interests ahead of its shareholders' (should those interests differ, though often they will coincide).

It simply isn't.

And now, back to discussing disruptive passengers ...
Friedman speak, 40 years out of date.
Long gone are the days you could say “The shareholders made me do it”.
Anyway, entirely a propos the discussion, although the J2 zero tolerance approach has the interests of the company, the staff and the public perfectly aligned.
16024 is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2019, 22:55
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 436
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duties of Directors Companies Act 2006
RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2019, 10:17
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Uk
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently she works in Costa coffee. Gonna take a lot of lattes to be able to pay £85k
Meester proach is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2019, 11:59
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the original news article 'It was previously revealed she had been banned from the roads for 28 months for drink-driving just two weeks before the incident.' - what a pillar of society.

This brings to the surface the age old argument of whether you should have any alcohol or drugs in your system as a passenger on an aircraft. The state of some people on board these holiday flights, in an emergency they are going to be a massive hinderance to those of us who are sober and want to get off. Maybe it's time the same rules that apply to driving are applied to being a passenger on board. How is someone who is drunk co-ordinate themselves to a safe evacuation?

I like the Jet2 no nonsense approach. I once boarded an early morning flight on Easyjet, two chaps who boarded last sat in row 1 in front of us were inebriated as they got on, shouting, swearing 'lets get on it' and the like. Tracksuit clad oiks. Crew and other passengers looked uncomfortable. I had a quiet word with the cabin manager explaining my concern that these two are not suitable to be flying. He said he would 'refuse to serve them any more' once we were in the air and that they were 'just a bit boistrous'. Unacceptable. Once the drinks service commenced and we were airbourne, the crew had to spend the flight trying to appease them and stop it all 'kicking off' becuase they weren't allowed another five vodkas. Offload them on the ground.
milhouse999 is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2019, 12:45
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Korea
Posts: 121
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milhouse999 View Post
I like the Jet2 no nonsense approach. (...) Offload them on the ground.
United Express Flight 3411 style? But where does the Jet2 manifesto say to offload before takeoff thou?
Euclideanplane is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2019, 13:45
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 14,593
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Euclideanplane View Post
United Express Flight 3411 style? But where does the Jet2 manifesto say to offload before takeoff thou?
It's in their terms and conditions: "we may take any other measures we deem necessary ... including ... your removal from the aircraft".

https://www.jet2.com/new/terms

Though we'll have to take it on trust that they mean removing you before takeoff, not after.
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2019, 13:51
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
It's in their terms and conditions: "we may take any other measures we deem necessary ... including ... your removal from the aircraft".

https://www.jet2.com/new/terms

Though we'll have to take it on trust that they mean removing you before takeoff, not after.
Haha the alternative would be an option for some people!
milhouse999 is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2019, 14:23
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Korea
Posts: 121
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
It's in their terms and conditions: "we may take any other measures we deem necessary ... including ... your removal from the aircraft".
Though we'll have to take it on trust that they mean removing you before takeoff, not after.
Indeed. Though if the alleged offenses occur at any point after takeoff, as in the present case apparently, the removal before takeoff is likely among those measures deemed unnecessary to take. Hence the United Airlines reference.
Euclideanplane is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2019, 18:46
  #72 (permalink)  

Controversial, moi?
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,604
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This brings to the surface the age old argument of whether you should have any alcohol or drugs in your system as a passenger on an aircraft. The state of some people on board these holiday flights, in an emergency they are going to be a massive hinderance to those of us who are sober and want to get off.
It isn't going to happen because loss of alcohol sales equals loss of profit.

To expand that meaningless cliché 'Safety is our primary concern......unless it costs money'.
M.Mouse is offline  
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 16:44
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bolton ENGLAND
Age: 77
Posts: 1,008
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M.Mouse View Post
It isn't going to happen because loss of alcohol sales equals loss of profit.
To expand that meaningless cliché 'Safety is our primary concern......unless it costs money'.
Ain't that the truth..............!!!

*
Planemike is offline  
Old 30th Sep 2019, 15:36
  #74 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colchester, Essex. UK
Posts: 62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to drag this up again, but here is an update ... https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/...rted-raf-jets/

The person has been "charged with one count of assault and one count of recklessly or negligently acting in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft or persons inside"
drichard is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2019, 12:25
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Stockport MAN/EGCC
Age: 69
Posts: 985
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Sorry to drag this up again, but here is an update ... https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/...rted-raf-jets/

The person has been "charged with one count of assault and one count of recklessly or negligently acting in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft or persons inside"
One would hope she’s listed on everyone’s No-Fly list?
David
The AvgasDinosaur is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2019, 16:59
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North by Northwest
Posts: 476
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cwatters View Post
Google finds this isn't the first time Jet2 have sent a bill but it does seem to be the biggest....

2015 - £5,000
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/t...ear-5k-9615769

2016 - £12,000
https://www.jet2.com/News/Lifetime_B...ert_Passenger/

2017 - £25,000
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/513743...mophobic-rant/
Did they ever collect on any of them?
b1lanc is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2019, 18:10
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 14,593
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by b1lanc View Post
Did they ever collect on any of them?
If the Sun is to be believed, the third listed event above resulted in the offender paying Jet2's £14,000 invoice, plus the £1,000 fine imposed by the court.

There's no evidence of the other two bills having been paid, nor of the intended prosection by Jet2 in respect of the first event having taken place.

But it is the Sun, after all ...
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 00:07
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North by Northwest
Posts: 476
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
If the Sun is to be believed, the third listed event above resulted in the offender paying Jet2's £14,000 invoice, plus the £1,000 fine imposed by the court.

There's no evidence of the other two bills having been paid, nor of the intended prosection by Jet2 in respect of the first event having taken place.

But it is the Sun, after all ...
Hard to get someone to pay when they have no means to do so or assets to levy.
b1lanc is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2019, 13:30
  #79 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colchester, Essex. UK
Posts: 62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further update: looks like they want to throw the book at her

For those not fully understanding the UK legal system, a Magistrates court deals with lesser offences, whereas the Crown court has the ability lo lever unlimited punishment

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-mid-air.html
drichard is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2019, 14:29
  #80 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 14,593
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
For those not fully understanding the UK legal system, a Magistrates court deals with lesser offences, whereas the Crown court has the ability lo lever unlimited punishment
I've met the odd Crown Court judge who would love that to be true, but it isn't.

The DM appears to be implying that she is charged with "assault by beating" (s.39 CJA 1988) and "recklessly or negligently acting in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person in an aircraft" (s.240 ANO 2016).

My money would be on her pleading/being found guilty on the former charge and either found not guilty or no evidence offered on the latter.
DaveReidUK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.