Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded

Old 23rd Aug 2023, 18:10
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I right in hearing on the call yesterday that anyone who has passed an ATPL exam is not eligible to apply?
Arena_33 is online now  
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 18:26
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Troposphere
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arena_33
Am I right in hearing on the call yesterday that anyone who has passed an ATPL exam is not eligible to apply?
Correct, they require first-time passes so technically it would be considered a second pass as you'd have to re-do them regardless.
Angle_of_Attack is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 18:57
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Turkey
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagarpatelatpl
Hi DawnChrus01,
You have not missed anything if you have attended the first session on 09 August. However, now there are 70 places instead of 60. Which is good. The recruiters have not confirmed eligibility queries related to non-UK citizens or permanent residents.

Additionally, you can not live at your home while under training as BA will have paid the cost of accommodation and food to the chosen flight school.

Besides, if you have previous flying experience, then the Head of the Flight Training School will decide on how much reduction in flight training will be allowed.

I hope this helps you and other on the forum.
Thank you for the information i also could not attend the meeting. Is anybody there asked about non-uk citizen requirements? did they say we are working on it or?
PilotDoctor is offline  
Old 24th Aug 2023, 07:24
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: UK
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theyíre working on it - complexities of immigration law given you wonít be employed during training.
TheLandLubber is offline  
Old 24th Aug 2023, 10:11
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotDoctor
Thank you for the information i also could not attend the meeting. Is anybody there asked about non-UK citizen requirements? did they say we are working on it or?
Hi PilotDoctor,

Unfortunately not. They are still debating internally with their employer law team and immigration team to finalise on the eligibility criteria for candidates. My best guess is that non-UK Citizens may not be allowed to apply as UK Home Office Immigration Rules want to restrict people from outside the UK to come and work for a UK company.

It is political! General elections are within a year's time and British people want their fair share of employment and politicians want to please as many local people as they can. (i.e., classic politics)

I am not sure if this helps.
Sagarpatelatpl is offline  
Old 24th Aug 2023, 12:02
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: London
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preparation

Originally Posted by Pablopal
Some key points included:
  • Accommodation, food allowance and substance allowance provided
  • Application window will open in September
  • Flight school assessment in October
  • BA assessment in November
  • Offers made in November
  • Training commence Q1 2024
  • Could be based at Heathrow, Gatwick or London City (BA, Euroflyer, Cityflyer) on either A320 fleet or Embraer
  • Choice of 5 different fleet types after initial freeze (6 years).
  • Starting salary of £34,000

Selection:
  • Online application - you'll be asked about your motivation to join British Airways and Maths and situational judgement test.
  • Video interview - you will have to record your answers
  • Flight school technical test - assess your ability to work under pressure and see how you react to increasing workload with various computer based tests from the cut-e suite
  • Flight School Group exercise - assess your ability to work in a team, with a scenario you may face in your day-to-day role as a Pilot at British Airways.
  • Flight School Interview - demonstrate you have what it takes to become a BA pilot.
  • British Airways Assessment - interview and group exercise. There will be a presentation from the team to talk to you about life as a BA Pilot and also a chance to visit Speedbird Heritage Centre at Waterside​​​​​​​
Invaluable - thank you for sharing this for those of us that could not attend.

I echo what others have asked -- does anyone have any suggestions for how to best prepare for the assessment? Any recommended aptitude test sites or training modules that are not just a cash-grab?
BH98 is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 19:10
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Turkey
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagarpatelatpl
Hi PilotDoctor,

Unfortunately not. They are still debating internally with their employer law team and immigration team to finalise on the eligibility criteria for candidates. My best guess is that non-UK Citizens may not be allowed to apply as UK Home Office Immigration Rules want to restrict people from outside the UK to come and work for a UK company.

It is political! General elections are within a year's time and British people want their fair share of employment and politicians want to please as many local people as they can. (i.e., classic politics)

I am not sure if this helps.
thank you. i will keep hoping
PilotDoctor is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2023, 15:18
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On this Teams call, was it mentioned how the salary changes with time? And how do they decide who goes to mainline, Euroflyer, Cityflyer after completion of training? As the T's and C's are different at each one...
Lawrence2725 is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2023, 11:54
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: London
Posts: 91
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawrence2725
On this Teams call, was it mentioned how the salary changes with time? And how do they decide who goes to mainline, Euroflyer, Cityflyer after completion of training? As the T's and C's are different at each one...
they didnít mention nothing like that just yet, we was just told we start at 34000 after our training as a second officer.

i have also heard rumours from BA people that they are going to open applications first for internals only then externals can apply. On the bright side they have increased the intake from 60 to 70.

Iím just hopping they open the applications on the 1st of September, the sooner the better!
Nino24 is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2023, 20:15
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Uk
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how long the application window will be open for ?
icedchailatte is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2023, 20:30
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: London
Posts: 91
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icedchailatte
Does anyone know how long the application window will be open for ?
I am guessing nothing more than 3-4 weeks as their on a very tight schedule.

September - Applications open
October - Online Tests and Online Interview
November - BA assessment Waterside / Offer
Nino24 is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2023, 10:05
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Angle_of_Attack
Correct, they require first-time passes so technically it would be considered a second pass as you'd have to re-do them regardless.
How about PPL exams? If you sat PPL exams before (theoretical knowledge) would that make you unable to apply too?
I think I heard them say if you do have a PPL you are still eligible to apply but Iím not so sure now!
Lauda is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2023, 22:17
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arena_33
Am I right in hearing on the call yesterday that anyone who has passed an ATPL exam is not eligible to apply?
Surely this canít be true? An applicant thatís already passed some ATPL exams is surely the reassurance they are looking for.

Most other cadet schemes will consider an applicant who have some ATPLs under their belt. Especially if passed first time.
FuturePilot_123 is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2023, 22:20
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: London
Posts: 91
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuturePilot_123
Surely this canít be true? An applicant thatís already passed some ATPL exams is surely the reassurance they are looking for.

Most other cadet schemes will consider an applicant who has some ATPLs under their belt.
unfortunately this is true, I was on the live call which they have stated anyone that has over certain amount of flying hours PPL / any who already has ATPL modules are deemed as over qualified.

they are looking for people with literally 0 flying experience under their belt, I donít know why!
Nino24 is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2023, 22:33
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nino24
unfortunately this is true, I was on the live call which they have stated anyone that has over certain amount of flying hours PPL / any who already has ATPL modules are deemed as over qualified.

they are looking for people with literally 0 flying experience under their belt, I donít know why!
this is a real shame. Iím a few years in to my modular journey, and I dedicate almost every minute of my spare time (alongside a full time job) to get as much done as I can to fulfil my dream.

I literally bank on these opportunities. I see them as a golden ticket to the flight deck. I am quite surprised as most cadet schemes allow some ATPL exams. A lot of good pilots will fall between the cracks here if this is the case.
I imagined that having some ATPLs under your belt would reassure BA that you are competent in the most difficult part of the whole course, as most will know - the ATPLs require a lot of hard work and dedication.
FuturePilot_123 is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2023, 22:36
  #56 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: London
Posts: 91
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuturePilot_123
this is a real shame. Iím a few years in to my modular journey, and I dedicate almost every minute of my spare time (alongside a full time job) to get as much done as I can to fulfil my dream.

I literally bank on these opportunities. I see them as a golden ticket to the flight deck. I am quite surprised as most cadet schemes allow some ATPL exams. A lot of good pilots will fall between the cracks here if this is the case.
I imagined that having some ATPLs under your belt would reassure BA that you are competent in the most difficult part of the whole course, as most will know - the ATPLs require a lot of hard work and dedication.

100% agree with you, I heard Aer Lingus cadet scheme take on candidates with some ATPL modules also check out TUI later in the year!
Nino24 is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2023, 07:15
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: UK
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nino24
unfortunately this is true, I was on the live call which they have stated anyone that has over certain amount of flying hours PPL / any who already has ATPL modules are deemed as over qualified.

they are looking for people with literally 0 flying experience under their belt, I donít know why!
I don't believe this is correct, having been on the calls myself. As others have stated, previous ATPL passes are not acceptable as you would end up with some passes under one "series" (I think that's the term they use) and the remainder under another. This breaks their rule for pilots having passed all the exams in one series.

It's not a question of being "over qualified" and they never mentioned anything about having a maximum number of allowable PPL hours. They stressed that you aren't at a disadvantage if you haven't done PPL, although they recommended doing at least a taster flight if you had never had that experience before.
jedro is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2023, 07:21
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: FLSomething
Posts: 361
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuturePilot_123
this is a real shame. Iím a few years in to my modular journey, and I dedicate almost every minute of my spare time (alongside a full time job) to get as much done as I can to fulfil my dream.

I literally bank on these opportunities. I see them as a golden ticket to the flight deck. I am quite surprised as most cadet schemes allow some ATPL exams. A lot of good pilots will fall between the cracks here if this is the case.
I imagined that having some ATPLs under your belt would reassure BA that you are competent in the most difficult part of the whole course, as most will know - the ATPLs require a lot of hard work and dedication.
It has always been the case. It can get real fiddly if youíve already had sittings. Iíd suggest youíre perhaps mistaken by the type of cadet programmes on offer if they accept ATPL attempts. Big difference between a cadet programme and just getting a type rating somewhere.

You either go the Modular route, generally the better route anyway, or hold out for one of these schemes, you canít do both.
VariablePitchP is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2023, 07:53
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VariablePitchP
It has always been the case. It can get real fiddly if youíve already had sittings. Iíd suggest youíre perhaps mistaken by the type of cadet programmes on offer if they accept ATPL attempts. Big difference between a cadet programme and just getting a type rating somewhere.

You either go the Modular route, generally the better route anyway, or hold out for one of these schemes, you canít do both.
Roger that. What you are saying makes sense seen as though this is for an fATPL? Most other cadet schemes are for an MPL, however still require ATPLs to be completed.
FuturePilot_123 is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2023, 08:16
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if youíve got all ATPL examinations complete in one series? First time passes? With an average above 85%.

The reason Iím questioning this, is because having ATPLs is still a fair distance away from having the requirements to apply for their other future pilot programmes. I will still struggle to find the funding to complete a CPL ME IR? And an UPRT?

If I didnít have a full time occupation I could clear my remaining ATPL exams in few months.
FuturePilot_123 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.