Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

The South China Sea's Gathering Storm

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

The South China Sea's Gathering Storm

Old 30th Oct 2021, 08:52
  #1181 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 18,062
Received 2,123 Likes on 956 Posts
USN Aggressors migrating (sic) from Russian to Chinese markings and camouflage.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-f-a-18-hornet

China's National Insignia Appears On U.S. Navy Adversary F/A-18 Hornet
ORAC is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 10:10
  #1182 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 18,062
Received 2,123 Likes on 956 Posts
Relevant both because of the current geopolitical situation, but also in light of AUKUS and the increasing number of joint exercises between allies in the area - such as the recent QE deployment.

ORAC is offline  
Old 5th Nov 2021, 07:20
  #1183 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 18,062
Received 2,123 Likes on 956 Posts
https://www.defensenews.com/digital-...the-luftwaffe/

As Europe looks to the Indo-Pacific, so does the Luftwaffe

STUTTGART, Germany — The German Air Force is preparing to send fighters, tankers and transport aircraft across the world to the Asia-Pacific region in a little less than a year, as its colleagues in the European Union continue to assess how the bloc should increase its involvement in the region.

The Luftwaffe will deploy six Eurofighter aircraft, three Airbus A330 tankers and three A400M transport aircraft in support of Australia’s Pitch Black exercise, scheduled for Sept. 5-23, 2022. The typically biennial exercise was canceled in 2020, and next year’s edition will be the first since 2018.

Germany is ready to play a bigger role in the Indo-Pacific region, and will start with this initial sortie next fall before developing a more long-term plan, said Air Force Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Ingo Gerhartz.

This is the Air Force’s “first and biggest deployment” of air assets to the Asia-Pacific region, Gerhartz said in an interview with Defense News in October at the Luftwaffe’s Neuburg Air Base in Bavaria.. “It’s a strong signal to show our valued partners in the Indo-Pacific that we are with them.”…..

The Air Force’s deployment exercise is based on a series of policy guidelines for the region published by the German government in September 2020.

“With the rise of Asia, the political and economic balance is increasingly shifting towards the Indo-Pacific,” the Luftwaffe spokesperson said. “The region is becoming the key to shaping the international order in the 21st century.”….

ORAC is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2021, 00:55
  #1184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 65
Posts: 7,357
Received 538 Likes on 339 Posts
The Chinese are at least planning long term to do something about their energy supply.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...n-to-rival-u-s

Thanks to the greenish, blinkered morons in my country, getting a nuke plant up and running has become a nightmare.
Thankfully, our aircraft carriers are still using nuclear power.
Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2021, 01:23
  #1185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: aus
Posts: 1,346
Likes: 0
Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
The Chinese are at least planning long term to do something about their energy supply.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...n-to-rival-u-s

Thanks to the greenish, blinkered morons in my country, getting a nuke plant up and running has become a nightmare.
Thankfully, our aircraft carriers are still using nuclear power.
The issue isn't greens or even regulatory. Its incompetence in the management of the design and construction. France due to be part of the EU has a stronger green rules than the US and yet they can build nuclear plants cheaper, faster and on budget better than the US. France does it differently they effectively make a production line. The paraphrase ford, you can have nuclear power plant you want as long as its black, france uses and build the same design plant. They dont change them based on multiple factors. France has one company authorised to build plants in france and they only have one available design at any time
rattman is online now  
Old 6th Nov 2021, 02:17
  #1186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 6,048
Received 549 Likes on 256 Posts
The Luftwaffe will deploy six Eurofighter aircraft, three Airbus A330 tankers and three A400M transport aircraft in support of Australia’s Pitch Black exercise
Wonder if France will turn up this time.
megan is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2021, 03:38
  #1187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: australia
Posts: 430
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
https://www.defensenews.com/digital-...the-luftwaffe/

As Europe looks to the Indo-Pacific, so does the Luftwaffe

STUTTGART, Germany — The German Air Force is preparing to send fighters, tankers and transport aircraft across the world to the Asia-Pacific region in a little less than a year, as its colleagues in the European Union continue to assess how the bloc should increase its involvement in the region.

The Luftwaffe will deploy six Eurofighter aircraft, three Airbus A330 tankers and three A400M transport aircraft in support of Australia’s Pitch Black exercise, scheduled for Sept. 5-23, 2022. The typically biennial exercise was canceled in 2020, and next year’s edition will be the first since 2018.

Germany is ready to play a bigger role in the Indo-Pacific region, and will start with this initial sortie next fall before developing a more long-term plan, said Air Force Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Ingo Gerhartz.

This is the Air Force’s “first and biggest deployment” of air assets to the Asia-Pacific region, Gerhartz said in an interview with Defense News in October at the Luftwaffe’s Neuburg Air Base in Bavaria.. “It’s a strong signal to show our valued partners in the Indo-Pacific that we are with them.”…..

The Air Force’s deployment exercise is based on a series of policy guidelines for the region published by the German government in September 2020.

“With the rise of Asia, the political and economic balance is increasingly shifting towards the Indo-Pacific,” the Luftwaffe spokesperson said. “The region is becoming the key to shaping the international order in the 21st century.”….
We actually have an ongoing close relationship with Germany. They are frequent visitors to Woomera and such. It just doesn't make the headlines.
golder is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2021, 09:13
  #1188 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 18,062
Received 2,123 Likes on 956 Posts
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/1...-taiwan-519689

Congress pressures Biden to defend Taiwan

China’s military provocations toward Taiwan and President Joe Biden’s mixed messages are igniting a debate on Capitol Hill over whether to adopt a more aggressive official posture — including the possibility of preemptively authorizing Biden to use military force if Beijing invades the island nation.

The conversations, coupled with the White House’s efforts to walk back some of Biden’s apparent slips of the tongue, are fueling bipartisan efforts to ditch “strategic ambiguity,” the policy that has governed the U.S. posture toward the conflict for more than four decades. The strategic ambiguity doctrine, enshrined in the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act, stipulates that the U.S. remains purposely noncommittal about whether it would defend Taiwan from an attack or invasion by China.…..

Rep. Elaine Luria (D-Va.), a retired Navy officer and the vice chair of the House Armed Services Committee, said in an interview that Congress should consider sending Biden a “very narrow and specific contingent authorization for the use of military force” to defend Taiwan. That action would effectively gut “strategic ambiguity” and allow the president to respond immediately to a Chinese attack or invasion without waiting for Congress to send him an authorization.….


ORAC is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2021, 16:31
  #1189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,831
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts
wasn't the whole point of "strategic ambiguity" to allow the US and China to be able to trade without a slanging match, a trade war or worse?

Asturias56 is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2021, 17:46
  #1190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: cowtown
Posts: 926
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
https://www.dw.com/en/german-engine-...ort/a-59740301

German engines in Chinese ships . MTUs
History rhymes again as Japanese ships used to have British engines . Engines and technology that officially were still considered secret at the time.
fitliker is online now  
Old 6th Nov 2021, 17:58
  #1191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 4,097
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by fitliker
https://www.dw.com/en/german-engine-...ort/a-59740301

German engines in Chinese ships . MTUs
History rhymes again as Japanese ships used to have British engines . Engines and technology that officially were still considered secret at the time.
And an engine of British design in MiG-15s.

Khrushchev’s boast of where he’d get the rope to hang us has some validity.


West Coast is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2021, 06:58
  #1192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,831
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts
Not long ago a fairly authoritative book on the PLA (N) pointed out that much of the electronics used in their latest service vessels was commercial stuff procured, legally, in the market. It works well, there is no development risk and you can always get spares. Problem is it's not easy to integrate all these separately designed systems, they're not "state of the art" and of course they're not exactly secret so counter measures are easy
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2021, 08:58
  #1193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
so if the Germans send a mini task force toodling around China's backyard are they ok with the reverse, it would only fair?

I'm envisioning the Russians asking their PLA friends to bring some warships, subs and long range bombers for joint exercises in the Baltic and out over the North Sea and Channel. Fairs fair and all...


Last edited by arf23; 7th Nov 2021 at 08:59. Reason: typo
arf23 is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2021, 11:48
  #1194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2,167
Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Australia isn't China's backyard - see a picture of the Earth for details.
Just This Once... is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2021, 12:24
  #1195 (permalink)  

Evertonian
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: #3117# Ppruner of the Year Nominee 2005
Posts: 12,597
Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Just This Once...
Australia isn't China's backyard - see a picture of the Earth for details.
True, but China will soon claim to be a 'Near Antarctica' Nation so...
Buster Hyman is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2021, 12:44
  #1196 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 18,062
Received 2,123 Likes on 956 Posts
True, but China will soon claim to be a 'Near Antarctica' Nation so...
Soon? Now, and both Arctic and Antarctic...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craigho...h=59d28e6f63e3

New Polar Strategy Must Focus On China’s Long March To Antarctica

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/...ond-economics/

China’s strategic interest in the Arctic goes beyond economics
ORAC is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2021, 15:03
  #1197 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 4,097
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by arf23
so if the Germans send a mini task force toodling around China's backyard are they ok with the reverse, it would only fair?

I'm envisioning the Russians asking their PLA friends to bring some warships, subs and long range bombers for joint exercises in the Baltic and out over the North Sea and Channel. Fairs fair and all...
Your question shouldn’t be if it’s fair, rather if it’s in compliance of law, treaties, etc to which the answer is yes.

The Chinese don’t have to like it, no more than the Germans would in your example.
West Coast is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2021, 16:07
  #1198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,831
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts
"Australia isn't China's backyard - see a picture of the Earth for details."

I've pointed out before that Finland is closer to China than Australia is..................
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2021, 01:17
  #1199 (permalink)  

Evertonian
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: #3117# Ppruner of the Year Nominee 2005
Posts: 12,597
Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"Australia isn't China's backyard - see a picture of the Earth for details."

I've pointed out before that Finland is closer to China than Australia is..................
Really? Where are you measuring from?
Buster Hyman is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2021, 07:38
  #1200 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,831
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts
Use GoogleEarth - the nearest points in all three countries

Tacheng (W CHina) to the Eastern border of Finland south of Pirhu 3577 kms

Sanay (S end of Hainan Island) to Sir Graham Moore Island (NE of Kulumburu) 3980 kms

I was surprised myself......
-
Asturias56 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.