Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Joining Qatar airways (Master thread)-2

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Joining Qatar airways (Master thread)-2

Old 27th Mar 2022, 19:34
  #241 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Home
Posts: 108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Greens
The problem isn’t flights, it’s the hotels (or lack of). Qatar is about the size of greater Manchester and it’s holding a World Cup!!
Il sure they would be working on this. A country which has world’s highest per capita income !
777JockeyIN is offline  
Old 27th Mar 2022, 22:33
  #242 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Doha
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely not short of $$$ but the event is fast approaching no wonder recruitment is pedal to the metal. I think the covid rules are being relaxed a bit which should help the recruiters.
Camel herder is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2022, 08:47
  #243 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camel herder
Definitely not short of $$$ but the event is fast approaching no wonder recruitment is pedal to the metal. I think the covid rules are being relaxed a bit which should help the recruiters.
Recruitment is in full swing because of not only of the World Cup, but they fired too many pilots during the pandemic. The fall out from this has been catastrophic for the company. Of those fired, not all wanted to come back. Some that did, left once their license was revalidated. The strain this has put on the 777 guys has been immense. Many have left or are leaving, with no job to go to.

The company is understaffed in the flight deck and cabin. Sometimes we fly with the minimum cabin crew, which has an impact on service.... something that is very evident if you fly Qatar. The place is a mess.
username taken is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2022, 10:01
  #244 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Varna
Posts: 111
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by username taken
Recruitment is in full swing because of not only of the World Cup, but they fired too many pilots during the pandemic. The fall out from this has been catastrophic for the company. Of those fired, not all wanted to come back. Some that did, left once their license was revalidated. The strain this has put on the 777 guys has been immense. Many have left or are leaving, with no job to go to.

The company is understaffed in the flight deck and cabin. Sometimes we fly with the minimum cabin crew, which has an impact on service.... something that is very evident if you fly Qatar. The place is a mess.
How does that reflect on the internal upgrades? What is the average waiting time for the upgrade for FOs now compared to pre-covid times? Thank you!
jadrolinija is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2022, 13:01
  #245 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jadrolinija
How does that reflect on the internal upgrades? What is the average waiting time for the upgrade for FOs now compared to pre-covid times? Thank you!
Realistically? I would say 10 years.
username taken is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2022, 14:25
  #246 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Varna
Posts: 111
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by username taken
Realistically? I would say 10 years.
Thank you for the feedback!
jadrolinija is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2022, 20:58
  #247 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: hiding around
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jadrolinija
How does that reflect on the internal upgrades? What is the average waiting time for the upgrade for FOs now compared to pre-covid times? Thank you!
these things do change randomly, so whatever is true today might not be so true tomorrow…so if to upgrade today it takes 10 years that could become 15 years, or 3 years, tomorrow! that’s QR but also EY and EK to some extent.
EPR SET is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2022, 13:06
  #248 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Doha
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things are in a state of flux at the moment due to the Gulf airlines coming out of the pandemic phase. Looks like they were a bit over aggressive with the culls and now they're left short no surprises there. Might have been more pragmatic to offer unpaid leave or salary reductions however they went heavy handed and got rid which has proved to be the wrong way to do things.
Camel herder is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2022, 13:53
  #249 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Poland
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello fellow pilots

I got an email to attend the assessment process next week in Doha.
The process takes 4 days in Doha including 1 day arrival and 1 day departure from Qatar.

I really apreciate if anyones has a feedback from technical exam/interview or Atpl questions or any study materials
I'm A320 type rated with 1500 hours on bus

You can send me a pm as well!
obelix360 is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2022, 19:05
  #250 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obelix360
Hello fellow pilots

I got an email to attend the assessment process next week in Doha.
The process takes 4 days in Doha including 1 day arrival and 1 day departure from Qatar.

I really apreciate if anyones has a feedback from technical exam/interview or Atpl questions or any study materials
I'm A320 type rated with 1500 hours on bus

You can send me a pm as well!
Well done! Please give an update on how it goes and what it is like. How long after the PSA and interview did this take?
knobv is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2022, 22:12
  #251 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Runcorn,Cheshire,England
Posts: 200
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they provide a ticket and hotac?
3Greens is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2022, 07:26
  #252 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Egypt
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obelix360
Hello fellow pilots

I got an email to attend the assessment process next week in Doha.
The process takes 4 days in Doha including 1 day arrival and 1 day departure from Qatar.

I really apreciate if anyones has a feedback from technical exam/interview or Atpl questions or any study materials
I'm A320 type rated with 1500 hours on bus

You can send me a pm as well!

Congrats, I have got the email as well but was postponed due to visa process time , Would really appreciate if some of the fellow pilots could tell us more about the ATPL and Doha experience
Ahmed Ussama Badr is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2022, 07:30
  #253 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Poland
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Greens
Do they provide a ticket and hotac?
Yeap and business Visa as well.
obelix360 is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2022, 10:51
  #254 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: hiding around
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Greens
Do they provide a ticket and hotac?
they’ve gotta pamper you otherwise there would be no attraction to it whatsoever!
EPR SET is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2022, 14:28
  #255 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Somewhere in between
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obelix360
Yeap and business Visa as well.
Weren't you asked competency based questions during your online interview?
I'm wondering what the "if applicable" here means.
Maddogrider is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2022, 17:15
  #256 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: hiding around
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a friend of mine got interview in May B787 FO thousands of hours on type and no competency based interview mentioned at all for him on Day 1…
EPR SET is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2022, 02:24
  #257 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Home
Posts: 108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EPR SET
a friend of mine got interview in May B787 FO thousands of hours on type and no competency based interview mentioned at all for him on Day 1…
Same for me.
777JockeyIN is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2022, 03:33
  #258 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In the torpedo tube above!
Posts: 212
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So no one presently has any idea what the technical interview is like huh.
Flaperon777 is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2022, 06:51
  #259 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In transit
Age: 47
Posts: 96
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doha

If anyone had the online interview with HR then you will not be repeating it in Doha.
The technical interview is a relaxed conversation with two pilots: you will be presented three documents with flight plan, wx, notam, mel on the first, the other two wind chart, sig wx chart. 15-20 minutes to have a look and make some notes, you are then to brief the flight and they will ask some questions. It can be about cold wx, low vis…there are a few scenarios
It’s all very chilled, very nice vibe in fairness.
jonjon is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2022, 08:58
  #260 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: hiding around
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jonjon thanks!

how was the webex interview? is it typical competency based and personal typo, such as “tell me why QR”? or “tell me a time when…”?
seems like some people are invited and do not go through this step online/Doha anymore.

Originally Posted by jonjon
If anyone had the online interview with HR then you will not be repeating it in Doha.
The technical interview is a relaxed conversation with two pilots: you will be presented three documents with flight plan, wx, notam, mel on the first, the other two wind chart, sig wx chart. 15-20 minutes to have a look and make some notes, you are then to brief the flight and they will ask some questions. It can be about cold wx, low vis…there are a few scenarios
It’s all very chilled, very nice vibe in fairness.
EPR SET is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.