Interviews, jobs & sponsorship The forum where interviews, job offers and selection criteria can be discussed and exchanged.

Tnt/Asl airlines belgium

Old 4th Apr 2018, 09:33
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Netherlands
Age: 34
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by midnightcity View Post
Been there for the interview, did not pass it. I wonder what they are looking for...though they are very nice in front of you.
Study well your knowledges (Definitions, Performances, Jeppesen). I guess the theory test you had, is easier than the interview, You know or you don't know. The interview is different, they like you or they don't. It is all about subjectivity aftermath, IMHO.
If you're belgian with a current type rating, I guess that's a good point on your side .Management seem all belgians...so...
About the cargo night ? even if it's not a problem for you, it is not a great selling point though.
Expect some technical questions. A few may be tricky, but that's ok and very interesting (but very picky question!), if you don't know just say it, be honest and at least you'll even learn things or review some stuff. They are helper as well if you struggle.
But if they help a bit, I guess you lose points haha.
Im not sure if it really matters for them to know all perfectly. Unless they are looking for the perfect guy who knows everything. Difficult to say. Personnally I did well most of the time, but 2 questions I struggled or did not know. Im not perfect
and we don't know everything. But we are supposed to know where to find the right information aren't we ?
A few HR questions. Classic except one or two.... e.g : does your employer knows you're seeking another position? (really... and you ? are you going to tell your employer you're seeking another position? )

Wish you all the best guys.
Thanks!
Got the invitation for assessment today..
What kind of theoretical questions can I expect at the first stage?
Wezzel is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2018, 11:43
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Beek
Posts: 3
Theoretical test

Just heard that I passed the Theoretical test.

20 questions, no multiple choice.
What I remember:

-weather charts symbols like volcanic eruption and icing etc.
-abbreviations like FADEC, MTOW.
-what is the minimum fuel required to be allowed to take-of
-decode a METAR
-definition of BCMNG
-what is a great circle track
-what is a wet start and what do you do?
-what is the clearway
-what is Dutch roll?
Seperation times after take off with wake turbulance
-5 dangers of thunderstorms
-what is an inversion

Thats what I remember. They might have different versions though. I'm not sure. Hope it helps.

If anyone has some more info on the interview that would be appreciated
greenmz is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2018, 11:28
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Germany, Münster
Posts: 3
net income for a captain?

Has anyone an idea about the net income for a captain with asl?
abeiske is offline  
Old 19th Apr 2018, 13:44
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: citizen of the world
Posts: 8
Any idea if they directly recruit on the 747 and what the requirements are?
alohadje is offline  
Old 5th May 2018, 12:12
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 575
Any info about the second and third stage of the selection process?
Banana Joe is offline  
Old 7th May 2018, 17:21
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brussels
Posts: 5
Hi guys, just discovered this topic. I applied for an FO Position within ASL Airlines Belgium last September and was succesful. Currently flying on the line.
Regarding the theoretical test, since it recently got implemented I don't have any feedback to share with you guys. What I can tell however is that ASLB is a great company to work for.
If succesful you will either start on B757 or B737-400 depending on the vacancies. B737-400 is more likely though. Type Rating is entirely funded by the company. You can expect mainly night flying, not easy to cope with from time to time. On the other hand, you don't fly much, I would say around 350-400 block hours a year. As a result you get to spend a lot of time home. Would you have any further questions, feel free to drop me a pm
Genesis5 is offline  
Old 7th May 2018, 21:26
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 575
Can't drop a PM but you've got a mail.
Banana Joe is offline  
Old 8th May 2018, 07:10
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Paris
Posts: 1
Theorotical test

..........

Last edited by Alexmermoz; 19th May 2018 at 21:51.
Alexmermoz is offline  
Old 12th May 2018, 16:19
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nevers (LFQG)
Age: 37
Posts: 12
Hello folks,

I went to the two first steps. Unfortunately I under performed at the technical questions during the interview so I didn't pass.

Nothing much to add about the first step, there are twenty questions straight from the "Ace" book. It's not a traditional multiple-choice questionnaire, you have to write an answer. It seems they are different questionnaires with some variations. Here are those I remember:

What is a flat-rated engine?
What is the relationship between stall speed and weight?
What are the three purposes of spoilers?
What is a stopway?
What is Vmca?

Describe the four segments of a take-off (twin engine)
Basic QNH calculation (QFE 980 hPa at an airfield at 200m AMSL: what is the approximate QNH?)
Ten abbreviations to explain: PBN, MOCA, REIL, NADP, RNP, ETOPS, TCAS, FADEC, ...
Some SIGWX symbols to explain
What is the minimum fuel required to dispatch an aircraft?
METAR to decode
Take-off separation in minutes, from the same point and from an intermediate point
What is a great circle track?
Explain a hold entry
What are the ISA condtions at sea level?
What are the two types of taxiway lightings?

What is a clearway?
What is Vmcg?
What is the most efficient system for stopping at high speed?


Then I was invited to the interview. The HR part was classical: introduction, why a cargo airline, what is your plan to commute, etc.
Then, the technical questions. Boy, was I bad that day. There was a white board and they asked me to use it to answer the questions. As I remember:
- you go around at minimums after a CAT I approach. You climb following the standard missed approach gradient. What is your elevation after 10 NM? (hint: 2,4%, don't forget to add the DH)
- you fly straight to a VOR, heading 220°. You are asked to hold on radial 280 (standard hold). What is the type of entry into the hold? (I'm afraid I mixed up the radial with the inbound track)
- what is the landing climb gradient on a twin-engine? What is the associated airplane configuration? Same question for an approach climb.
- what is RVSM?

Basically nothing difficult. Just make sure to review the performance chapter.

Oh, also I suggest you spare some time to visit Liège. I enjoyed it
Le Bigleux is offline  
Old 14th May 2018, 11:11
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: holland
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Le Bigleux View Post
Hello folks,

I went to the two first steps. Unfortunately I under performed at the technical questions during the interview so I didn't pass.

Nothing much to add about the first step, there are twenty questions straight from the "Ace" book. It's not a traditional multiple-choice questionnaire, you have to write an answer. It seems they are different questionnaires with some variations. Here are those I remember:

What is a flat-rated engine?
What is the relationship between stall speed and weight?
What are the three purposes of spoilers?
What is a stopway?
What is Vmca?

Describe the four segments of a take-off (twin engine)
Basic QNH calculation (QFE 980 hPa at an airfield at 200m AMSL: what is the approximate QNH?)
Ten abbreviations to explain: PBN, MOCA, REIL, NADP, RNP, ETOPS, TCAS, FADEC, ...
Some SIGWX symbols to explain
What is the minimum fuel required to dispatch an aircraft?
METAR to decode
Take-off separation in minutes, from the same point and from an intermediate point
What is a great circle track?
Explain a hold entry
What are the ISA condtions at sea level?
What are the two types of taxiway lightings?

What is a clearway?
What is Vmcg?
What is the most efficient system for stopping at high speed?


Then I was invited to the interview. The HR part was classical: introduction, why a cargo airline, what is your plan to commute, etc.
Then, the technical questions. Boy, was I bad that day. There was a white board and they asked me to use it to answer the questions. As I remember:
- you go around at minimums after a CAT I approach. You climb following the standard missed approach gradient. What is your elevation after 10 NM? (hint: 2,4%, don't forget to add the DH)
- you fly straight to a VOR, heading 220°. You are asked to hold on radial 280 (standard hold). What is the type of entry into the hold? (I'm afraid I mixed up the radial with the inbound track)
- what is the landing climb gradient on a twin-engine? What is the associated airplane configuration? Same question for an approach climb.
- what is RVSM?

Basically nothing difficult. Just make sure to review the performance chapter.

Oh, also I suggest you spare some time to visit Liège. I enjoyed it

thank you for your information, did everyone applied for the 737 or the 747?
jflyerm is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 15:48
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Belgium
Posts: 20
sorry you for LeBigleu,
anyway, those people are looking for the guy who knows everything about these questions, but that will not make you the best pilot.
I guess you did not have any debrief ? not very professionnal...
stoneangel is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 01:03
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brussels
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by stoneangel View Post
sorry you for LeBigleu,
anyway, those people are looking for the guy who knows everything about these questions, but that will not make you the best pilot.
I guess you did not have any debrief ? not very professionnal...
i have to disagree on this. They are not looking for someone able to answer all these questions. What they want to see however is someone capable of using his knowledge in order to find its way through and give a consistent answer.
Genesis5 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 20:51
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brugge
Age: 39
Posts: 4
Feedback- Interview

Hey all,

I was invited to ASL for the selection process. The theoretical test is exactly as described above. Fairly straight forward. There were around 18 candidates on the day.
Next stage was the interview, however it might not necessarily be in that order. Could be Sim then interview etc.
Basically they had me tell them about myself, background etc. Next they asked me 4 tech questions. Holdings, CAT 1 approach, wake turbulance seperation and RVSM. The holding I made a stupid error, but corrected it and got the right entry. Wake turbulance and RVSM no problem and the Q about CAT 1 i screwed up. Nerves I guess. Then they asked if I had any Qs. Which I did. Think I asked more Qs than they did! Overall I think I was in there for 10-15mins max! Got the thanks but no thanks email a few hours later. I have to say I left the interview very underwhelmed. My first pilot selection process since graduating end of 2016. I worked extremely hard the last few weeks as I expected more from the interview itself. How they could get to know me after 4 tech Qs and a 5min chat I dont know. I guess they just didnt like me😢. Im a bit older than most graduates - career switcher, Im from the UK but have lived in Belgium for nearly 7 years and very much settled here. (speak dutch). Overall Im really gutted and really wanted to sell myself but felt that the opportunity never arose. It was over as quick as it started. Took me by suprise TBH. At least I got that far and I appreciate that I finally got a chance to go to an actual interview. Good luck to those that get selected💪
Malkovitch is offline  
Old 24th May 2018, 06:43
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cannes
Posts: 47
Hi Malkovitch,
Try other airlines, try companies with smaller planes, look for options (FI, tow gliders etc. temporarly) but never give up
RomanK is offline  
Old 24th May 2018, 07:21
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brugge
Age: 39
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by RomanK View Post
Hi Malkovitch,
Try other airlines, try companies with smaller planes, look for options (FI, tow gliders etc. temporarly) but never give up
Thanks,
I certainly wont give up. Had an email from another company shortly after the bad news. Maybe I can go for selection there. One door closes another opens?
Malkovitch is offline  
Old 26th May 2018, 11:48
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 575
Are the theoretical test and HR/technical interview held on the first stage now?
Banana Joe is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2018, 09:23
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: france
Posts: 3
Hello guys,
I just passed the written test last week. Pretty much all similar to what described above really. You should not be surprised if you rely on this.
As I m invited to the interview in 2 weeks, I've been wondering what type of technical questions do they ask?
Thank you in advance for your help.
artgur2438 is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2018, 18:58
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: EUROPE
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by artgur2438 View Post
Hello guys,
I just passed the written test last week. Pretty much all similar to what described above really. You should not be surprised if you rely on this.
As I m invited to the interview in 2 weeks, I've been wondering what type of technical questions do they ask?
Thank you in advance for your help.
I would say don't waste your time (=money ) with them but if you want to give a try well:
-expect questions about holding patterns entries, altimetry (you are on glide perfectly, you should pass an OM at 1300feet according to the chart but your altimeter's showing 1500feet, why?), RVSM definition, and some acronyms words very useful for pilots from JEPPESEN charts (oh don't expect what HIALS mean, with them, too useful and easy, expect something you barely see and care lol). Climb gradients to know (review performances and especially CS25 certification).
that's it. Very picky questions, but they do not seem to change so much so...it becomes pointless finally. I should have read this forum before going there yes.
So review IFR mostly I would say.

There is no global mark taken into account. If you pass one stage, you'll go for sim check. But if you fail sim it's "thank you sir, you've failed, byebye" no debrief, nothing, no matter if you did great during interview and theory.

good luck mate
(PS: save the max amount for your trip to go up there or you'll regret...)
midnightcity is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2018, 20:57
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: france
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by midnightcity View Post
I would say don't waste your time (=money ) with them but if you want to give a try well:
-expect questions about holding patterns entries, altimetry (you are on glide perfectly, you should pass an OM at 1300feet according to the chart but your altimeter's showing 1500feet, why?), RVSM definition, and some acronyms words very useful for pilots from JEPPESEN charts (oh don't expect what HIALS mean, with them, too useful and easy, expect something you barely see and care lol). Climb gradients to know (review performances and especially CS25 certification).
that's it. Very picky questions, but they do not seem to change so much so...it becomes pointless finally. I should have read this forum before going there yes.
So review IFR mostly I would say.

There is no global mark taken into account. If you pass one stage, you'll go for sim check. But if you fail sim it's "thank you sir, you've failed, byebye" no debrief, nothing, no matter if you did great during interview and theory.

good luck mate
(PS: save the max amount for your trip to go up there or you'll regret...)
Thank you midnightcity for your exhaustive debrief. I am perfectly aware i am playing at an expensive game. Who tries nothing has nothing.
Can you tell me more about these bloody jepp acronyms?
Once again thx mate for your help
artgur2438 is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2018, 18:39
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: EUROPE
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by artgur2438 View Post
Thank you midnightcity for your exhaustive debrief. I am perfectly aware i am playing at an expensive game. Who tries nothing has nothing.
Can you tell me more about these bloody jepp acronyms?
Once again thx mate for your help
I do'nt remember what I got..:/ but I recommend you to check a big airport such as Amsterdam, London...and check all accronyms you go through.
Jeppesen student pilot route manual is a very good tool to get. Quite expensive though.
midnightcity is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.