Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

COS 99 extensions- seniority is over

Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

COS 99 extensions- seniority is over

Old 18th Jul 2019, 03:29
  #101 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the road
Posts: 151
They cant train their way out of what is happening right now regardless of how many defect to new TC positions. QF are about to restart their sausage factory after they had to stop to train more trainers , BA, Virgin and Air Canada are accelerating. This is the relevant threat to Cathay, which is being turbo charged by an unsupervised HR empire and their COS shenanigans. Almost every 350 and 777 pilot above SO rank in this company is being rostered to high 90 hour months and has been since January. Christmas/CNY should be defining as to what gets offered to keep people here: accelerating resignations/retirements and the remainers on 900 hour maximums = parked aircraft.

The solution is a proper monetary response to housing and extensions or a piecemeal trickle which will offend and accelerate the departures. I think most of us can guess which it will be.
mr did is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 03:32
  #102 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The sky
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by Farman Biplane View Post
If the RA65 option was introduced to ALL CX pilots, regardless of COS/rank/base/etc, without financial penalty to any of the officers, then this would never have been an issue.

IT WAS NOT OFFERED THIS WAY BY CX.

My understanding is that there is no issue at KA as RA65 was just introduced unilaterally without penalty.

Perhaps the HKAOA should explore that precedent?

Farman - retire and enjoy your money and let the rest of us enjoy a normal upgrade time. RA65 will kill this airline.... want to see EVERY FO leave? Give these old folks RA65 and bye bye every COS08 person with any flight time..... RA65 instantly adds 5/10 years to any upgrade time. Where the rest of the world upgrade is 5-10 years to begin with, RA65 would be crewing suicide for an already understaffed in the FO level airline.
Natca is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 03:42
  #103 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Age: 51
Posts: 41
Anybody ever wondered why that mythical pilot shortage is always only about to happen ?








Sam Ting Wong is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 04:05
  #104 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: a happy place
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by Natca View Post
Farman - retire and enjoy your money and let the rest of us enjoy a normal upgrade time. RA65 will kill this airline.... want to see EVERY FO leave? Give these old folks RA65 and bye bye every COS08 person with any flight time..... RA65 instantly adds 5/10 years to any upgrade time. Where the rest of the world upgrade is 5-10 years to begin with, RA65 would be crewing suicide for an already understaffed in the FO level airline.
Wow!
How about ending CC and the training ban.

I'm surprised how most FO's can't see how they shot themselves in the foot with not accepting the last offer or the previous one that is.
el commandante is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 05:33
  #105 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the road
Posts: 151
Anybody ever wondered why that mythical pilot shortage is always only about to happen ?
WW 2 veterans in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and Vietnam vets from the 70s until now. Tens of thousands of ex military pilots in the system, all the same age. All the Vietnam vets are in their 60s now hence the huge projected shortfall in the US due to those retirements. Same in Aus (massive QF recruitment) and the UK. (BA and Virgin) Combine that with subsidence living new pilot wages and conditions that stops most sane people from even looking at this as a career...

It's actually happening now.
mr did is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 05:41
  #106 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CLK
Posts: 295
Natca maybe you weren’t here for this quote?

Nick Rhodes “time to command will decrease with the introduction of RA65”

All of the FO’s then experienced INCREASED time to command, so what is the difference with the next mob?

The whole industry has been affected by mandated RA issues.
Farman Biplane is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 05:47
  #107 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 385
Agree, Mr Did. It's a process, not an event.
OK4Wire is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 13:25
  #108 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: HK-CRoC
Posts: 550
Really ?

Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong View Post
Anybody ever wondered why that mythical pilot shortage is always only about to happen ?
Really ??


Perfect example of shortage, "you" got hired, !!
Flex88 is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 01:05
  #109 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Nyc
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong View Post
Anybody ever wondered why that mythical pilot shortage is always only about to happen ?
Sam Tin Wong,

The single most important thing in building the best outcome is forming and sustaining an effective team with unity of purpose.

The power of the team dwarfs that of the individual.

Sitting at the side and throwing rocks does the reverse of that.

It just doesn't matter if you're right or wrong if nobody follows you.

The single best thing you can do to influence for the good is join the team and attempt to improve it from the inside.

You aren't doing that.

Of course none of this applies if you are actually on the other team.
Turbine70 is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 02:25
  #110 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Age: 51
Posts: 41
Turbine,

interesting thought and you definitively got a point there, no doubt.

My counter argument would be a question: is it then always imperative to follow the mainstream, regardless of one's own conviction?

I would dispute that. There has to be a point were you just need to stand up for your opinion and refuse to follow the crowd.

The lack of commitment to a unified team you are accusing me of is exactly my argument.
You are rightly saying it doesn't matter if I am right or wrong as long as nobody is following me. But how many are following you? I did not think we have the unity in the first place, and I think history proved me right. You are asking me if I am on your team, but don't you see there is no such thing in Cathay? We are in at least a dozen different teams, all with our different priorities, may it be HKPA, RA55 or base XYZ. What might be right for one group is totally wrong for another. The unity you are asking for is not realistic in my opinion. I am just honest and pragmatic about it, and the reward is being shot as the messenger.

I deeply believe the strategy of the last years is wrong.If you have such a diverse group you will never be able to act successfully as aggressively and militant as it appears the plan is. It will fail.

Wether I am right or not in the end is a different matter. I frankly don't know nor can I ever know for sure.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 19th Jul 2019 at 10:53.
Sam Ting Wong is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 03:27
  #111 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: nfa
Posts: 116
The conviction that yours is the only opinion that matters is exactly why you will always be on the outside looking in. The power of any collective is measured in the commitment of its members to the benefit of all.
bm330 is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 04:09
  #112 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Age: 51
Posts: 41
But that is exactly my point. The power of our collective is in my opinion not strong enough because of the lack of commitment ( and diverse goals).

The problem is you guys act as if that unity was present ( and the legal framework) and just a few "outsiders" disagree. This is factual not the case.

It is not "only my opinion that matters", the problem is that there is no unified opinion.

Furthermore, the way these different opinions were met in the cockpit, on the HKAOA forum and in here (see Flex88 above) are not helpful. It is now too often a primitive shouting and blame game, a sure sign of the rising nervousness in the face of defeat. We will see a sharp fall in union membership rates is my prediction.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 19th Jul 2019 at 04:29.
Sam Ting Wong is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 12:48
  #113 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: HKG
Age: 49
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong View Post
But that is exactly my point. The power of our collective is in my opinion not strong enough because of the lack of commitment ( and diverse goals).

The problem is you guys act as if that unity was present ( and the legal framework) and just a few "outsiders" disagree. This is factual not the case.

It is not "only my opinion that matters", the problem is that there is no unified opinion.

Furthermore, the way these different opinions were met in the cockpit, on the HKAOA forum and in here (see Flex88 above) are not helpful. It is now too often a primitive shouting and blame game, a sure sign of the rising nervousness in the face of defeat. We will see a sharp fall in union membership rates is my prediction.
Sam ting Wong,

You make a valid point. I have never agreed with your opinions in the past, like we should have taken what was on the table in either of the last two offers. I still don't believe we would have been better off by taking them in the long run. And I am glad the union sent them back. Maybe that is the only victory we will have, because as you said the lack of unity displayed has prevented anything else from occurring.

So your observations about the lack of unity in the so called union are spot on. The strategy has failed,anyone who thinks otherwise, well you get the point. It's all over and the only thing for those still Manning the picket lines is to decide if they stay or go. Some have gone already and good luck to em. But for the rest, you need to make a choice.

Move beyond speaks volumes, is it a coincidence this is the motto the company is pushing so heavily.

FOP, have addressed the issues the last two ex DFO's created by imposing corrections to the ARAPA and HKPA and RPs. The morale on the other hand can't be imposed, and that I think is permanently damaged, because nobody except for the few who have recently crossed over give a damn! I have never seen that before!

Will we ever see a pay rise. I doubt it. Not unless market forces dictate. So that means all the B- scalers will wither on the vine and the C scale will also find themselves with the target on their back like the B Scalers were and the A Scalers before them, once the D scalers have critical mass.

Basically the only hope for anything by way of improvements in life style and financial reward will be dictated by market forces. With the demand for cheap fares, the line in the sand for pilot remuneration has been agreed by way of gentlemen's agreement in the dark halls of IATA.

For Fatiguing rosters that improvement will only come from individuals when there is a shift to using their professional obligations to not sign on rather than push thru. Unfortunately we have all been conditioned to completing the next task on the roster and believe just because it says it's legal means it must be do-able. But the reality is just cos it's legal it does not mean it's do-able in the long run or in combination with previous duties, or personal circumstances.

Game over.
RAT Management is online now  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 23:57
  #114 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Nyc
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong View Post
Turbine,

interesting thought and you definitively got a point there, no doubt.

My counter argument would be a question: is it then always imperative to follow the mainstream, regardless of one's own conviction?

I would dispute that. There has to be a point were you just need to stand up for your opinion and refuse to follow the crowd.

The lack of commitment to a unified team you are accusing me of is exactly my argument.
You are rightly saying it doesn't matter if I am right or wrong as long as nobody is following me. But how many are following you? I did not think we have the unity in the first place, and I think history proved me right. You are asking me if I am on your team, but don't you see there is no such thing in Cathay? We are in at least a dozen different teams, all with our different priorities, may it be HKPA, RA55 or base XYZ. What might be right for one group is totally wrong for another. The unity you are asking for is not realistic in my opinion. I am just honest and pragmatic about it, and the reward is being shot as the messenger.

I deeply believe the strategy of the last years is wrong.If you have such a diverse group you will never be able to act successfully as aggressively and militant as it appears the plan is. It will fail.

Wether I am right or not in the end is a different matter. I frankly don't know nor can I ever know for sure.
Thankyou for your thoughtful response.

Nothing I stated is an imperative.

If you want to be heard, then you need people to listen to you.

I hope that's obvious and incontrovertible.

My view is that your approach doesn't lead to you being heard.

If you aren't being heard, then it doesn't matter what you say.

That's all.
Turbine70 is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2019, 00:16
  #115 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: No where
Posts: 687
The only certainty is for a continual, slow but inexorable deterioration of our pay, benefits and working conditions. Each year without at last an inflation matching pay raise is a pay cut. CMP has effectively gutted what little control we had over our rosters, and the benefits and overall contract terms are now backstopped by COS18. The slow boiling of the frogs (us) is well and truly in the final temperature range resulting in death (and I mean that literally, as pilots are coming down with serious illness and sudden death at an all too alarming rate at this airline). CX management do not care one whit about your lifestyle, family concerns or overall long term health and care. Chew you up, spit you out, replace with cheaper. That is the entire business model summed up. If you like the sound of that, stay and enjoy. Otherwise, wake up and take advantage of the best hiring environment in 30 years. It won't last forever, and in the meantime many others are getting on those seniority lists ahead of you.
Air Profit is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2019, 02:34
  #116 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 591
Originally Posted by Air Profit View Post
If you like the sound of that, stay and enjoy. Otherwise, wake up and take advantage of the best hiring environment in 30 years.
Serious question: what about you? Are you staying and enjoying or taking the advantage of the hiring market? I get the distinct impression that you don't enjoy it here so the logical conclusion must be that you're looking elsewhere - unless of course there are millions of reasons for you to stay? Even if you're coming to the end of your career, surely there's no reason to stay, other than financial, if you're so clearly miserable?

STP
Steve the Pirate is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2019, 03:42
  #117 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: No where
Posts: 687
Steve, perhaps if you read some of my comments a few further back in the thread you could have saved yourself a bit of trouble and effort? Still, it's always interesting to come across implied apologists for the company. Don't know what the company would do without them...
Air Profit is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2019, 04:30
  #118 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 591
Originally Posted by Air Profit View Post
Steve, perhaps if you read some of my comments a few further back in the thread you could have saved yourself a bit of trouble and effort? Still, it's always interesting to come across implied apologists for the company. Don't know what the company would do without them...
Air Profit, I've just re-read all of your posts on this thread, and the only comment that alludes to anything that vaguely relates to my question is this snippet:

Ultimately, many of us are close to leaving (as is myself) so it is academic.
However, my question is still pertinent I think. By being close to leaving do you mean looking elsewhere, or retiring? The inference I drew was that you are close to retirement, otherwise I sense you would have stated that you were close to heading off to greener pastures. In fact, I think you would have been unable not to tell us all that that was indeed the case. Either way, with reference to your leaving, define close. I think my point of staying if you're miserable, regardless of how long you have, is still valid - why waste your life?

I'm not an apologist, and the question really had nothing to do with the company but everything to do with you. However, if you'd prefer not to share then, by all means, carry on with the ad hominems.

STP
Steve the Pirate is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2019, 05:49
  #119 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: www
Posts: 474
Good grief Steve. You've spent years on this site being a sarcastic wind up merchant, and now you throw out the "ad-hominem" comment? The points that AP made were right on target. It's irrelevant what he is or is not doing personally. Doesn't take away from the cold hard truth he laid out. Seriously, thin skinned much?
Apple Tree Yard is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2019, 08:59
  #120 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 591
Originally Posted by Apple Tree Yard View Post
Good grief Steve. You've spent years on this site being a sarcastic wind up merchant, and now you throw out the "ad-hominem" comment? The points that AP made were right on target. It's irrelevant what he is or is not doing personally. Doesn't take away from the cold hard truth he laid out. Seriously, thin skinned much?
OK, where do I start? I might be seen as a sarcastic wind up merchant by some but I like to think I often pose thought provoking questions. Not once did I imply that I thought Air Profit's points were invalid; I simply asked him what I felt to be a relevant question with regard to his statement about enjoyment of CX/HKG versus moving on to elsewhere. I agree, to some degree, that his own upcoming movements are irrelevant to his position but it would add credence to his argument if he were to state what is going on in his life vis-à-vis said position: he can't have it both ways, saying on one hand that people should seek employment elsewhere while at the same time 'enduring' his remaining time here - why not simply leave?

With respect to the ad hominem comment, he implied that he thinks that I'm apologist for the company when nothing in my post suggested anything of the sort. It seems that because I had the temerity to ask what I thought was a relevant question with respect to his position on this topic, rather than answering or debating he decided instead to label me as apologist for the company which, in my opinion, was a weak argument - in fact, a non-argument. To me, that would be the very definition of an ad hominem attack. Consequently, I don't agree (naturally) with your thin skinned assessment of my character.

For the record, I think that Air Profit makes some very valid points and I would certainly not encourage any of my children to join CX as it stands today. In fact I wouldn't encourage any of my children to follow a career in aviation because the halcyon days, that we all long for, are well and truly over.

STP
Steve the Pirate is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.