Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Covid Air NZ

Old 18th Sep 2020, 11:56
  #41 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Someday I will find a place to stop
Posts: 965
Elzilcho = RubberDogPoop = InZed
DeltaT is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2020, 20:14
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NOYB
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
Elzilcho = RubberDogPoop = InZed
If everyone is saying the same thing in the room.
The media is saying the same thing.
The government is saying the same thing.
The company is saying the same thing.
But you think they’re all wrong.

Who is the crazy one in the room here?

Last edited by InZed; 19th Sep 2020 at 00:03.
InZed is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2020, 22:48
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: south pacific vagrant
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
Historically some of the rules for everyone else didn't always apply to Air NZ.
Love to hear the examples that form your views
waren9 is offline  
Old 19th Sep 2020, 05:42
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: At Home
Posts: 293
Originally Posted by waren9 View Post
Love to hear the examples that form your views
Suspect the answer will be along the lines of Elzilcho = RubberDogPoop = InZed = waren9

Originally Posted by Anti Skid On View Post
Re. the 1 metre/ 2 metre / keep the middle seat empty stuff. The positive pressure within the aircraft was always seen as something that reduced risk of transmission (harder on short haul where the ratio of ground time, air con off to flight time, air con on will be greater). The distances in public are always going to be notional, as nobody in their right mind is going to do a randomised control trial to get an exact distance, plus the uncontrollable variables of wind, etc.

Let's just celebrate NZ's lack of deaths, a health service that hasn't been wrecked (in some countries over 10% of health staff have succumbed), and we have flights that can now be fully booked, at least providing more work and more revenue
This is a real sore point for me.
There are many people, in various jobs, who are at a far greater risk of contracting COVID than Aircrew. But because overseas is deemed as "scary", we become the scapegoats. Imagine if your local GP had to isolate from their family after every shift and get a COVID test... yet as we're seeing overseas, not even medical grade PPE is protecting them because they're around sick people all day.

As an example, First Responders in NZ can work on a Patient, showing symptoms of COVID, only to go about their day/shift as normal after dropping them at the Hospital... if that Patient then tests positive for COVID, the First Responders will be contact traced sometime in the next 2 weeks. Why? Because if every Ambo had to go into isolation because they worked on a Patient with a runny nose, we'd have none left.

Plain and simple, this a COVID election. Anything the media decides to go after and scare the public with, the Government jumps at.

Last edited by ElZilcho; 19th Sep 2020 at 06:04.
ElZilcho is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2020, 05:55
  #45 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Someday I will find a place to stop
Posts: 965
Devil

I see Foran went out on the media and expressed his view that a vaccine will only be 50% effective and take years to distribute.
How dare he go out against the status quo and think for himself based on the survey of 10000 Americans.
My god thats a conspiracy in the making right there with him thinking he knows better than anyone else.
Quick he must be subjigated by his pilot workforce, and have a psychological assessment too.
The world is going to end because of this one person, oh no!
DeltaT is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2020, 10:08
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: ex EGNM, now NZRO
Posts: 482
Imagine if your local GP had to isolate from their family after every shift and get a COVID test... yet as we're seeing overseas, not even medical grade PPE is protecting them because they're around sick people all day.
Your local GP isn't likely to come into contact with a Covid case; face to face consultations are no longer the norm, and if it does happen it will be on the basis of a structured assessment that determines risk. If you are symptomatic you are seen by people wearing the gear.

Plain and simple, this a COVID election. Anything the media decides to go after and scare the public with, the Government jumps at.
I don't think that is the media creating the scares, it is the idiots with their conspiracy theories that is causing the upset; that and people ranting about alleged failures in systems. We've had nearly 50000 people cross the border and had a handful of dickheads disobey the systems. This was pounced on by the opposition to win brownie points. We are fortunate that we already had well developed track and trace systems for all communicable diseases. Yes, it is a Covid election, because the government are being judged on how they handled a very exceptional scenario. We don't have massive deaths, our systems are pretty much in tact. Inbound tourism is screwed for the time being (till who knows when), but as Kiwi's we are making the most of our own backyard and the return to nearer normal domestic schedules will create more domestic leisure opportunities for all of us.
Anti Skid On is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2020, 18:11
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NOYB
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
I see Foran went out on the media and expressed his view that a vaccine will only be 50% effective and take years to distribute.
How dare he go out against the status quo and think for himself based on the survey of 10000 Americans.
My god thats a conspiracy in the making right there with him thinking he knows better than anyone else.
Quick he must be subjigated by his pilot workforce, and have a psychological assessment too.
The world is going to end because of this one person, oh no!
I read the articles, including the Sydney Morning Herald, and didn’t see him say “50% effective” - without looking it up again to reference, I believe he referred to its effectiveness that ‘not everyone will take it and it won’t be 100% effective’.

I personally think there’s room for SOME relaxation. It will have to happen eventually. He’s got money in the game so of course he is going to have certain opinions. But relaxing borders to low risk countries (Taiwan, South Korea etc) and reduce their quarantine to one week on arrival (or arrival back into NZ if you’re going on holiday) is manageable. Compulsory mask coverings etc. will remain, but we all seem pretty used to wearing those nowadays. At least in Auckland.

It COULD work to specific countries with specific rules.
InZed is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2020, 21:53
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 991
As you say that Jacinda has come out and said that masks are no longer compulsory on flights that don't arrive or depart in Auckland. I would have thought the sensible move would have been to retain masks on aircraft and public transport for the extra level of protection.
Ollie Onion is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 09:14
  #49 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Someday I will find a place to stop
Posts: 965
I read the articles, including the Sydney Morning Herald, and didn’t see him say “50% effective” - without looking it up again to reference, I believe he referred to its effectiveness that ‘not everyone will take it and it won’t be 100% effective’.
Correct.
Article : "Foran told the Sydney Morning Herald that after a successful vaccine is found, it will only, perhaps, be 50 per cent effective and take years to distribute around the world.".
Foran quote: ""In America... they've recently done a survey over there and only half the people said they'll take the vaccine," he says. "And then, of course, we have reinfection rates."

Ollie, are you trying to tell people something sensible? You are on thin ice, watch out for the backlash, the insults, gas lighting, and that you are inciting a conspiracy accusations.

Meanwhile, UK airlines Easyjet and Ryanair for the sake of everyone ARE making masks compulsory and no longer providing food service. However Air NZ are now introducing back drinks and snacks while face masks are mandatory...(errr doesn't that mean they all take their masks off when eating and drinking at the same time of food service?!)
Masks then stop being mandatory under level 1 outside to/from Auckland.
...IATA press release 66 / 24 Aug 20: "
Wearing face coverings is a key recommendation of the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) guidance for safe operations during the pandemic, as developed jointly with the World Health Organization and governments." I guess nz govt wasn't part of that.

Last edited by DeltaT; 22nd Sep 2020 at 22:19.
DeltaT is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 07:03
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: ex EGNM, now NZRO
Posts: 482
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion View Post
As you say that Jacinda has come out and said that masks are no longer compulsory on flights that don't arrive or depart in Auckland. I would have thought the sensible move would have been to retain masks on aircraft and public transport for the extra level of protection.
A work colleague did WLG - ROT this morning and Air NZ insisted on them from boarding until arrival.
Anti Skid On is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 09:45
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NOYB
Posts: 73
Minor subject change - what’s happened to the Q300 SFM? AM standing in at the moment... and now Q300 DFM advertised?

I appreciate that the future outlook for fleet management will be:
- SFM Wide Body
- SFM Narrow Body
- SFM Turboprop

They still appear to be dropping like flies.
InZed is offline  
Old 24th Sep 2020, 00:58
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by InZed View Post
Minor subject change - what’s happened to the Q300 SFM? AM standing in at the moment... and now Q300 DFM advertised?

I appreciate that the future outlook for fleet management will be:
- SFM Wide Body
- SFM Narrow Body
- SFM Turboprop

They still appear to be dropping like flies.
Rumour has it....... on leave while his wife takes an employment case to court over her dismissal.

Id say you are bang on regarding fleet management going forward.
6080ft is offline  
Old 24th Sep 2020, 03:35
  #53 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Someday I will find a place to stop
Posts: 965
Trying for thread drift too now? Why would you post that in a Covid related thread? bahaha nice try.

A work colleague did WLG - ROT this morning and Air NZ insisted on them from boarding until arrival.
Looks like they are keeping masks as required on all domestic flights while AKL on level 2, though food and beverage services start from 24th.

Last edited by DeltaT; 24th Sep 2020 at 21:32.
DeltaT is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2020, 05:33
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 648
Air NZ is now using Government loan

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...aising-by-june
Chris2303 is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2020, 20:08
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: back to the land of small pay and big bills
Age: 47
Posts: 1,105
You can wear any old rubbish on your face and that satisfies the anxious. The reusable floral masks my family have on examination are useless. The blue paper ones I wear at my new job post airline are uncomfortable, get all fluffy after a few hours interaction with my stubble, and the fibers send me into coughing spasms by the end of the shift. (They’re gonna be super uncomfortable when it gets hot and humid in summer)

IMHO its just being seen to do something which makes some people feel better than doing nothing at all. (Like taking a pic of the tracing poster on the shop window even though you don’t have the tracing app because you don’t want the politburo knowing where you go and what you did any more than they already do)
mattyj is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2020, 09:48
  #56 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Someday I will find a place to stop
Posts: 965
I thought about posting a more scientific video demonstration of a mask in use, but seeing as we could all do with a uplift in life I thought this demonstration was more suitable...




DeltaT is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2020, 22:00
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NOYB
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by mattyj View Post
IMHO its just being seen to do something which makes some people feel better than doing nothing at all. (Like taking a pic of the tracing poster on the shop window even though you don’t have the tracing app because you don’t want the politburo knowing where you go and what you did any more than they already do)
It’s amazing that the public perception of pilots is that they’re smart, intelligent and adaptive to change...

You manage to prove all of those stereotypes wrong.
InZed is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2020, 23:02
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: back to the land of small pay and big bills
Age: 47
Posts: 1,105
We’ll see..the science is constantly moving to favour the skeptics..the sheeple are looking more and more foolish every day.

#followthescience
mattyj is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2020, 02:48
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: ex EGNM, now NZRO
Posts: 482
Originally Posted by mattyj View Post
(Like taking a pic of the tracing poster on the shop window even though you don’t have the tracing app because you don’t want the politburo knowing where you go and what you did any more than they already do)
The information is retained on your phone and is not shared with anyone. If there is an outbreak somewhere the app can identify who was in the locality and then it can send a request for the user to share the information. All scans on your phone are deleted after a month.

The politburo you should really be afraid of is called Five Eyes and the previous lot now allow all your internet and telecommunications to be routinely scanned by Uncle Sam at the NSA in Maryland
Anti Skid On is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2020, 04:07
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Couch
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
I see Foran went out on the media and expressed his view that a vaccine will only be 50% effective and take years to distribute.
How dare he go out against the status quo and think for himself based on the survey of 10000 Americans.
My god thats a conspiracy in the making right there with him thinking he knows better than anyone else.
Quick he must be subjigated by his pilot workforce, and have a psychological assessment too.
The world is going to end because of this one person, oh no!
What exactly is your point Delta? Every post is so muddled and unrelated to the next no-one can keep up.
Do you like masks, or not?
Is Foran the devil incarnate, or not?
Do AirNZ make government policy, or not?

And I love this one:
Trying for thread drift too now? Why would you post that in a Covid related thread? bahaha nice try.
oh, I see, you thought the entire thread was about you? Bahahahahahahaha!!!! Why on earth would you think that had anything to do with you? Did you think that you were the most important person in the room? (to the psychology students in the room thats called "fundamental attribution error").

As I say to my kids, there comes a point when the smart play is to just shut up and not make the hole any worse....

RubberDogPoop is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.