Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 19th Jul 2021, 02:02
  #6101 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Coal Face
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by MickG0105 View Post
Possibly no one has mentioned it because they show a marked improvement on previous years.

As always, read the details (per your link).



So, zero in the Influenza deaths column and 148 fewer deaths from Pneumonia column when compared to the previous year. Form your own views as to what might be contributing to those outcomes.
Mate, I don't want to get into a debate about the statistics. I've read them. I linked them because I thought they were of interest. Obviously some of the actions taken due to COVID have affected the tally of deaths due to other respiratory diseases. I was merely reflecting on CRH's point about distracting media coverage.

And if you read the details you will have noted that influenza and pneumonia are linked for a good reason.
Chronic Snoozer is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 02:05
  #6102 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Coal Face
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by WingNut60 View Post
That is quite likely but your post conceals a common non sequitur; that because we have become inured to a certain death rate from other causes then if we just open up right now then COVID will be just like the flu.
This is a very common argument from those who just want to open up. Those people should refer back to the Victorian outbreak of 2020 or the current one in NSW.

The deaths and disability being caused now is despite the control measures being taken.
And if you're concerned about the mental anguish caused from being locked down and out of work think what losing your wife and eldest daughter might do to you.
Nowhere have I suggested opening up or that COVID is just like the flu.
Chronic Snoozer is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 02:17
  #6103 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
looks like SA about to fall as well
jrfsp is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 02:32
  #6104 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 69
Posts: 787
Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer View Post
Nowhere have I suggested opening up or that COVID is just like the flu.
Then what was your point? That media reports are distracting? Yep, I'll go along with that.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 02:56
  #6105 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 387
And the Olympics farce continues. Why the hell is it going ahead. Covid in the Olympics village and now… all before the start ..

Six British Olympic athletes and two team staff are self-isolating in their hotel rooms in Tokyo after being identified as close contacts of a passenger who subsequently tested positive for coronavirus on their plane to Japan, the British Olympic Association has announced.

According to a statement, the individual who has tested positive is not a member of the Team GB delegation but was a close contact during their flight to Japan on Thursday.

It comes as Olympic organisers revealed two athletes tested positive for coronavirus in Tokyo, as the South African football team announced that two of their players - Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi - had tested positive.
Mahlatsi and Monyane are the first athletes in the village to be reported positive, adding to the uncertainty around the Tokyo Olympics that are to open on Friday after being delayed a year by the pandemic. Video Analyst Mario Masha from the South African squad also tested positive on arrival in Tokyo as the team prepares to face hosts Japan on Thursday.
Foxxster is online now  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 03:02
  #6106 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by Foxxster View Post
And the Olympics farce continues. Why the hell is it going ahead. Covid in the Olympics village and now… all before the start ..

Six British Olympic athletes and two team staff are self-isolating in their hotel rooms in Tokyo after being identified as close contacts of a passenger who subsequently tested positive for coronavirus on their plane to Japan, the British Olympic Association has announced.

According to a statement, the individual who has tested positive is not a member of the Team GB delegation but was a close contact during their flight to Japan on Thursday.

It comes as Olympic organisers revealed two athletes tested positive for coronavirus in Tokyo, as the South African football team announced that two of their players - Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi - had tested positive.
Mahlatsi and Monyane are the first athletes in the village to be reported positive, adding to the uncertainty around the Tokyo Olympics that are to open on Friday after being delayed a year by the pandemic. Video Analyst Mario Masha from the South African squad also tested positive on arrival in Tokyo as the team prepares to face hosts Japan on Thursday.
Indeed - i do feel sorry for the Japanese though, the investment in the Olympics would be astronomical! It should have been cancelled with all the host cities pushed back 4 years. ie Japan to host it in 2024.
jrfsp is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 03:06
  #6107 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,445
Originally Posted by jrfsp View Post
Indeed - i do feel sorry for the Japanese though, the investment in the Olympics would be astronomical! It should have been cancelled with all the host cities pushed back 4 years. ie Japan to host it in 2024.

It’s just about money for the IOC. Japan is in a worse position now ( Covid wise) than it was last year, when the games were canceled. The whole thing will be a disaster.
SOPS is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 03:28
  #6108 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
This vaccination advertisement has just been launched by various Aussie arts groups and its miles ahead of the Fed Govs ad - but that's not surprising.


jrfsp is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 06:02
  #6109 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 387
Well those two removals people, the brothers who along with one other who were WuHu flu positive and went out west.., their mother in her 50s has just been found dead in her house. Dead of covid. Of course I feel sorry for them but they were quite happy to potentially spread it around so there’s that,
Foxxster is online now  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 06:44
  #6110 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Coal Face
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by WingNut60 View Post
Then what was your point? That media reports are distracting? Yep, I'll go along with that.
Yes the obsession with deaths and cases is distracting.
It’s there in my original post. Questions?
Chronic Snoozer is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 06:45
  #6111 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
as expected SA basically going into semi lockdown
jrfsp is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 06:55
  #6112 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,445
So I would expect WA to close to SA shortly. Everyone might as well close to everyone else and just be done with it!!!
SOPS is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 07:07
  #6113 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 557
Gladys said to 80% vaccination rate for no restrictions. Any one want to guess the odds of getting to that?! I reckon...... never.
SHVC is online now  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 07:08
  #6114 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
The sooner we accept the need to vaccinate teenagers the better
jrfsp is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 07:16
  #6115 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by SHVC View Post
Gladys said to 80% vaccination rate for no restrictions. Any one want to guess the odds of getting to that?! I reckon...... never.
coatsworth says 50%, then life back with some restrictions around mask use and people per square metre.
cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 07:21
  #6116 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by cloudsurfng View Post
coatsworth says 50%, then life back with some restrictions around mask use and people per square metre.
The problem with this is how palatable is that way of living, certainly wouldn't be entertained prior to an election? Particularly where vast swathes of the country live the pre-covid way of life.

I guess we can all see how it pans out in Europe, many places are re-imposing restrictions with that level of vaccination (Netherlands as one example)
jrfsp is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 07:31
  #6117 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 557
Originally Posted by cloudsurfng View Post
coatsworth says 50%, then life back with some restrictions around mask use and people per square metre.
Gladys said 80%. State premiere over rules any fed.
SHVC is online now  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 07:38
  #6118 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by SHVC View Post
Gladys said 80%. State premiere over rules any fed.
Incorrect, its "HEALTH ADVISE" that rule's over any state premiere, or fed, or common sense.
unobtanium is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 08:06
  #6119 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 568
Originally Posted by Foxxster View Post
Well those two removals people, the brothers who along with one other who were WuHu flu positive and went out west.., their mother in her 50s has just been found dead in her house. Dead of covid. Of course I feel sorry for them but they were quite happy to potentially spread it around so there’s that,
I dont think the cause has been confirmed,if she was ill due to covid why wasnt she getting medical attention?
I think there may be more to this,maybe guilt ridden & decided she couldnt face her mistake any longer,i guess we will find out soon enough.
blubak is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2021, 08:14
  #6120 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Doomadgee
Posts: 126
I agree. This sounds suspect. Did she die FROM Covid or WITH Covid .....?
Capn Rex Havoc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.