Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 21st Sep 2019, 02:23
  #2261 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Harbour Master Place
Posts: 589
Gligg, if you look very carefully at the word used, you will able to decode QF's intent: Qantas Group Pilot Academy In partnership with FTA . Everything you need to understand is on that page, you just need to consider the inferences.

Group is the operative word. Within the group, the biggest shortage is on the DASH-8's. Graduates from the Academy could reasonably expect to go to DASH land to gain sufficient experience to go into the RHS of a B737 or an A32x. That is the current pipeline, and I would expect it to continue fore the foreseeable future.

Externals will still be important to moderate the flow out of the regionals, particularly if you have experience to enable direct to the 737 RHS . QF have to throw a bone to the regionals through mainline opportunities in a reasonable time so they don't leave the group once they have experience, but they have to balance the attrition rate to be able to keep the aircraft flying, which I believe is quite a challenge.
CurtainTwitcher is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2019, 06:41
  #2262 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,517
Originally Posted by CurtainTwitcher View Post
Gligg, if you look very carefully at the word used, you will able to decode QF's intent: Qantas Group Pilot Academy In partnership with FTA . Everything you need to understand is on that page, you just need to consider the inferences.

Group is the operative word. Within the group, the biggest shortage is on the DASH-8's. Graduates from the Academy could reasonably expect to go to DASH land to gain sufficient experience to go into the RHS of a B737 or an A32x. That is the current pipeline, and I would expect it to continue fore the foreseeable future.

Externals will still be important to moderate the flow out of the regionals, particularly if you have experience to enable direct to the 737 RHS . QF have to throw a bone to the regionals through mainline opportunities in a reasonable time so they don't leave the group once they have experience, but they have to balance the attrition rate to be able to keep the aircraft flying, which I believe is quite a challenge.
Quite right CT.

A little bit of product placement (The Qantas reference) is the bait...The fine print tells a different story...The switch sees the newly indebted graduate at any of the increasing number of entities flying derelict machines for less money than the glossy brochure intimated.

Caveat emptor.
Rated De is offline  
Old 24th Sep 2019, 02:30
  #2263 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Asia
Age: 37
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by Rated De View Post
Quite right CT.

A little bit of product placement (The Qantas reference) is the bait...The fine print tells a different story...The switch sees the newly indebted graduate at any of the increasing number of entities flying derelict machines for less money than the glossy brochure intimated.

Caveat emptor.
Derelict machines for less money? Doesnít sound much different than the G.A.route!
Gligg is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2019, 11:27
  #2264 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by Rated De View Post
Quite right CT.

A little bit of product placement (The Qantas reference) is the bait...The fine print tells a different story...The switch sees the newly indebted graduate at any of the increasing number of entities flying derelict machines for less money than the glossy brochure intimated.

Caveat emptor.
Is there a better option?

Airline job logging multi-crew hours from day one. Onto a 6 figure salary quite quickly. Employed within Australia's major airline group. Quicker to to command, major airline or jet employment.

Alternative: No guaranteed work upon graduation. Multitude of casual or non permanent GA jobs to begin with. Spend an indefinite number of years there before getting into a major airline group. Any saving on training costs would be quickly offset by lower wages. Fly aircraft that are definitely more derelict than option A.

A quick look around shows the cost of an average CPL in Australia roughly about $70k, IR about $20k, and ATPL theory and MCC about $5k each.

From the FTA website it's about $125k from zero to CPL, IR, ATPL and MCC as part of their Academy course.

Not too much of an extra expense for a more defined career path IMHO.
dr dre is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2019, 11:41
  #2265 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by A little birdie View Post
You haven’t read the fine print if you think that’s the case. Most probably will. Some/ many definitely won’t.
Nothing is guaranteed in life. Don't meet the standards on the course? Not getting through. No argument there.

Economy in the gurgler upon graduation? Probably won't get employed, but then GA employment will be in trouble too.

Still a better prospect than a random flying school with nothing really guaranteed at the end, at least there's a more defined path here. And I would probably guess a higher priority in employment for Academy graduates than those who aren't. If not all of those who graduate the academy have a position within the group upon graduation then that means there's a minuscule chance for non Academy graduates.
dr dre is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2019, 21:31
  #2266 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 26
A quick look around shows the cost of an average CPL in Australia roughly about $70k, IR about $20k, and ATPL theory and MCC about $5k each.

From the FTA website it's about $125k from zero to CPL, IR, ATPL and MCC as part of their Academy course.

Not too much of an extra expense for a more defined career path IMHO.
If you don't go to a big money grab school you should be able to get a CPL with NVFR for $60k or less. MEIR is about $20k and ATPL about $5k if you mostly self study (it is possible). No need to waste money on an MCC. So $85k versus $120k isn't something I can rationalize by thinking that a big name school will help you with a job. It won't and can sometimes hurt you as some employers have bad experiences with sausage factory grads
Climb150 is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2019, 23:06
  #2267 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,517
Still a better prospect than a random flying school with nothing really guaranteed at the end, at least there's a more defined path here. And I would probably guess a higher priority in employment for Academy graduates than those who aren't. If not all of those who graduate the academy have a position within the group upon graduation then that means there's a minuscule chance for non Academy graduates.
Assumptions being what they are, would suggest that any prospective applicant carefully check the fine print.
Rated De is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 21:50
  #2268 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 2
Does anyone know if the Academy is actually taking people with prior flying experience?

The FAQs on the website explicitly state that they will consider applicants with licences, but Iím yet to hear of a licence holder actually getting a spot.


NFPAR is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 00:50
  #2269 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Darwin
Posts: 3
All Qantas Group airlines hiring bar mainline. So much for the music stopping soon as previously suggested in this thread.
ThunderstormFactory is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 00:52
  #2270 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,517
Originally Posted by ThunderstormFactory View Post
All Qantas Group airlines hiring bar mainline. So much for the music stopping soon as previously suggested in this thread.
Little Napoleon and his bunch of carpet baggers would not have spent a Red cent on anything related to pilots unless there is a supply issue long term.

There is, its name is demographics.
Rated De is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 01:06
  #2271 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sydney
Posts: 929
dragon man is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 01:53
  #2272 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 402
Rated De, you opined previously regarding the academy...
This announcement appears to be a similar pattern.
A thought bubble, no research, poor strategy and shockingly executed.
It will be pushed with weasel words into the future.
So given they said it would start in 2019 and it has, would you concede that you were wrong??
Beer Baron is online now  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 02:04
  #2273 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Harbour Master Place
Posts: 589
Originally Posted by Rated De View Post
Little Napoleon and his bunch of carpet baggers would not have spent a Red cent on anything related to pilots unless there is a supply issue business model long term.

There is, its name is demographics.
Sorry to correct you Rated De, Joyce does nothing is done without a business plan, he is a startup junkie. I would suggest the strategy here is to milk pilot training as a business by leveraging off the Qantas brand reputation. Expect them to attempt to scale this beyond what is required for the the group, I could even envisage offshore "Qantas Training Academy Centre of Excellence" training being set up in Asia.

Don't get me wrong, demographics come into play, but there will be more to this.
CurtainTwitcher is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 13:28
  #2274 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 907
Originally Posted by CurtainTwitcher View Post
Sorry to correct you Rated De, Joyce does nothing is done without a business plan, he is a startup junkie. I would suggest the strategy here is to milk pilot training as a business by leveraging off the Qantas brand reputation. Expect them to attempt to scale this beyond what is required for the the group, I could even envisage offshore "Qantas Training Academy Centre of Excellence" training being set up in Asia.

Don't get me wrong, demographics come into play, but there will be more to this.
You are completely on it, CT.

This ainít a thought-bubble.

If you can significantly control or influence pilot training (or have a monopoly on it), and maybe even run it at a profit, you not only control supply, but you get to control those who even commence pilot training, let alone finish it.

You get to interview them twice, once before training, and once again before employment, gaining a much greater understanding of their worth, and you get surveillance of them during training. With that surveillance you really get to know them - not just aptitude, but you get to cull those who complain when the tea-room runs out of milk - theyíll be your future union-leaders.

You also get to control things like gender balance.
Derfred is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 21:42
  #2275 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by Derfred View Post


You are completely on it, CT.

This ainít a thought-bubble.

If you can significantly control or influence pilot training (or have a monopoly on it), and maybe even run it at a profit, you not only control supply, but you get to control those who even commence pilot training, let alone finish it.

You get to interview them twice, once before training, and once again before employment, gaining a much greater understanding of their worth, and you get surveillance of them during training. With that surveillance you really get to know them - not just aptitude, but you get to cull those who complain when the tea-room runs out of milk - theyíll be your future union-leaders.

You also get to control things like gender balance.
Didn't work for Rex.
Ladloy is offline  
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 02:54
  #2276 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 2
Qantas Pilot Academy

Hi everyone,

*long post incoming*
I've read through the previous 50 pages of this thread, took me a while! I didn't really find the answer that I was looking for, but knowing me I probably overlooked it in the 50 pages I read

I'm currently 18 and have always wanted to become a pilot for Qantas since I was in kindergarten. When I was 16 I disregarded the dream job of a pilot and I really can't remember why I did, I think it was because mum wanted me to stay on the ground if I'm to be honest! So I moved onto something else that was in aviation which was Air Traffic Control, but of course a year later I got rid of that for some reason (but this time I don't know why). Then I moved onto IT in uni (which I'm doing now), even with my GPA of 7, I started to think about the Qantas Group Pilot Academy, long story short I *think* I have my eyes back on aviation again.

I've read a few conflicting thoughts on the actual academy throughout the 50 pages that I have read, some say it's just a gimmick and you'll end up no where whereas some say that it would be good. People say that you should get into piloting whilst your young for seniority (or just get into the airline you want your career at whilst your young), but is it just gonna give me a huge debt and no job at all? Considering that it'll cost me somewhere around $125,000, which I can loan, does it even qualify me for direct entry into Qantas? I was looking at the requirements for direct entry (either as SO or FO) and it seemed higher than what you actually get in the academy? Could someone help answer that? The academy would probably be the best option for me, I don't have the money to train through a flight school in my local area.

I've also read someone said that it is Qantas Group Pilot Academy, so does that mean QantasLink and Jetstar too?

I've read heaps of things online about the life as a pilot, and I understand that this is a Qantas recruitment thread, and whilst I'd be doing it for the love of planes since I have been young and not for the money at all, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this thread about the pay of Capt/FO/SO? I've gone through the EBA of Qantas but it's all dutch to me

All in all I just really want to know is it worth it? Will it lead into a career with Qantas or just give me a big debt? FO or SO? Do I just apply for jobs after the academy as I'd be qualified from the academy? I see that I can lead into the Qantas Future Pilot Program from the academy, but they're 'selected' people. I assume you need to be a high performer. Surely the application questions into the academy are just a short amount? They were pretty basic, didn't seem like an application at all! I've gone over the website a million times so I essentially know the whole academy website inside out, but I have applied for an ATC job which I should hear back from this week. What's the way to go? I'll still be waiting for months to hear back from Qantas, but even then, what's their selection process?

I think that's all for now, I'd still have a million things in my mind that I needed to ask but I just can't think of it all right now.

Thanks everyone
bding is offline  
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 06:51
  #2277 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Not far away
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by bding View Post
Hi everyone,

*long post incoming*
I've read through the previous 50 pages of this thread, took me a while! I didn't really find the answer that I was looking for, but knowing me I probably overlooked it in the 50 pages I read

I'm currently 18 and have always wanted to become a pilot for Qantas since I was in kindergarten. When I was 16 I disregarded the dream job of a pilot and I really can't remember why I did, I think it was because mum wanted me to stay on the ground if I'm to be honest! So I moved onto something else that was in aviation which was Air Traffic Control, but of course a year later I got rid of that for some reason (but this time I don't know why). Then I moved onto IT in uni (which I'm doing now), even with my GPA of 7, I started to think about the Qantas Group Pilot Academy, long story short I *think* I have my eyes back on aviation again.

I've read a few conflicting thoughts on the actual academy throughout the 50 pages that I have read, some say it's just a gimmick and you'll end up no where whereas some say that it would be good. People say that you should get into piloting whilst your young for seniority (or just get into the airline you want your career at whilst your young), but is it just gonna give me a huge debt and no job at all? Considering that it'll cost me somewhere around $125,000, which I can loan, does it even qualify me for direct entry into Qantas? I was looking at the requirements for direct entry (either as SO or FO) and it seemed higher than what you actually get in the academy? Could someone help answer that? The academy would probably be the best option for me, I don't have the money to train through a flight school in my local area.

I've also read someone said that it is Qantas Group Pilot Academy, so does that mean QantasLink and Jetstar too?

I've read heaps of things online about the life as a pilot, and I understand that this is a Qantas recruitment thread, and whilst I'd be doing it for the love of planes since I have been young and not for the money at all, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this thread about the pay of Capt/FO/SO? I've gone through the EBA of Qantas but it's all dutch to me

All in all I just really want to know is it worth it? Will it lead into a career with Qantas or just give me a big debt? FO or SO? Do I just apply for jobs after the academy as I'd be qualified from the academy? I see that I can lead into the Qantas Future Pilot Program from the academy, but they're 'selected' people. I assume you need to be a high performer. Surely the application questions into the academy are just a short amount? They were pretty basic, didn't seem like an application at all! I've gone over the website a million times so I essentially know the whole academy website inside out, but I have applied for an ATC job which I should hear back from this week. What's the way to go? I'll still be waiting for months to hear back from Qantas, but even then, what's their selection process?

I think that's all for now, I'd still have a million things in my mind that I needed to ask but I just can't think of it all right now.

Thanks everyone
I canít answer most of your questions but from what Iíve seen in the industry - especially of Ďcareer changeí types...if your only acceptable outcome is a job with Qantas mainline then you probably donít have the required passion to survive the first few years in the industry without bailing. I donít mean this to sound harsh.
Mr Google Head is offline  
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 10:17
  #2278 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 47
I haven't read the whole thread here and I'm not sure if its been discussed previously (probably has), but going through this Qantas Academy, chances are you won't get the golden ticket into the Qantas Group upon graduation unless they become desperate again. Assuming you don't, you're then going to be packing your bags and heading up north like many others, except you're going to be going with the Qantas academy on your resume which is not a good look in my opinion. Questions might be asked. Why didn't you make the cut? Will you have the Qantas Workday tab open all day at work checking for the next opening? Seems far better to build a solid foundation in aviation through a neutral entity than a group that specialises in selling hopes and dreams.

As for the Qantas Future Pilot Program, once again it all depends on the current job climate. Last year they were desperate and plenty of opportunities for those who met the requirements. Not so lucky for those going through this year, far fewer places being offered and there's a very real chance that you can spend the 10K on the course at FTA and then be given a "Thanks but no thanks" or if you're "lucky", "Congratulations, you've made it through to the hold file, we'll get in contact if we need you".
FLGOFF is offline  
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 12:04
  #2279 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 178
The Qantas Academy is no guarantee of a job with mainline. If you do get through you may be placed on the hold file for the Qantas group. Most likely that would lead to an offer in Qlink or Jetstar (possibly Network aviation, Jetconnect, EFA). If you end up with one of these the door is not shut to mainline but doesn’t make it any easier to get in. It would be extremely doubtful that at completion of the course you would get any kind of direct entry as an SO into Qantas.
engine out is online now  
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 18:11
  #2280 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 1,585
Originally Posted by bding View Post
Considering that it'll cost me somewhere around $125,000, which I can loan.......... The academy would probably be the best option for me, I don't have the money to train through a flight school in my local area
Forgive me if Iím missing something, because I donít know much about the Dream Academy, but a local flying school these days Iím pretty sure will cost you a lot less than $125k for much the same outcome at the end (licenses, ratings etc.). So I donít understand why you can get a loan for $125k for the Dream Academy, but not to do it through your local flying school?

If thereís no guarantee of a job at the end I donít think Iíd want to be going through them.

Have a look around the industry and see how many different options you have. Heaps!! Donít close off 3/4 of them by going through somewhere that may be looked down upon for its original purpose (getting a job with QF), but that hasnít happened yet however could happen soon leaving someone to have to replace you. I know I wouldnít commit to hiring you if I saw it on your resume.
morno is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.