Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

NATS interview process

ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS interview process

Reply

Old 1st Jun 2018, 11:00
  #10581 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Caged_phoenix View Post
Hi everyone, am delighted to have passed stage 2 , I've received an email saying I need a valid passport to attend my stage 3? Has anyone without a passport been able to sit a stage 3 interview ? Happy to get one if need be
I forgot my passport to my Stage 3, but I did have to send it in the post afterwards when I was offered a place. I'd get in touch with recruitment if I was you and ask for alternatives.
Venyx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2018, 12:32
  #10582 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London
Posts: 3
yux5 - Did you ever get a follow up regarding this?

ATCkmmbbh1 - Congrats on your course date, man. How long after the Stage 3 Assessment did you get your confirmation? Also quickly did you get booked into the medicals and security clearance? I also heard that there are two medicals: the NATS one that is a precursor to see if you will pass the Medical 3 Certificate. Is this right?

Finished my Stage 3 a while ago and just waiting for the outcome! Ahhh!
GreenATC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2018, 14:01
  #10583 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Southampton
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Venyx View Post
I forgot my passport to my Stage 3, but I did have to send it in the post afterwards when I was offered a place. I'd get in touch with recruitment if I was you and ask for alternatives.
Thankyou that's very reassuring , will give them a call this week, I've applied for a new one and been told via text it should arrive a month before my stage 3 interview 🤞
Caged_phoenix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2018, 18:17
  #10584 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by GreenATC View Post
How long after the Stage 3 Assessment did you get your confirmation?
For me it was two weeks, but other peoples accounts were 5 days to a month.
Originally Posted by GreenATC View Post
Also quickly did you get booked into the medicals and security clearance?
Took a week to book the medical, medical was about 3 weeks after that.
BARRY_SCOTT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2018, 21:59
  #10585 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London
Posts: 3
Smile

Originally Posted by BARRY_SCOTT View Post
For me it was two weeks, but other peoples accounts were 5 days to a month.

Took a week to book the medical, medical was about 3 weeks after that.
Thanks BARRY_SCOTT. 15 days has passed for me but sadly not 15 *working* days. Blast that term haha. Good to know about the medicals.
GreenATC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 08:13
  #10586 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by GreenATC View Post
yux5 - Did you ever get a follow up regarding this?

ATCkmmbbh1 - Congrats on your course date, man. How long after the Stage 3 Assessment did you get your confirmation? Also quickly did you get booked into the medicals and security clearance? I also heard that there are two medicals: the NATS one that is a precursor to see if you will pass the Medical 3 Certificate. Is this right?

Finished my Stage 3 a while ago and just waiting for the outcome! Ahhh!
Congrats! Hope all goes well for you. It took me 10 days to hear back and then I got a medical date for about 6 weeks time. There are 2 medical forms to fill in, one the NATS use to judge whether they think you will pass the medical and the other official form you need to take to your medical with you.
ATCkmmbbh1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2018, 08:11
  #10587 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 2
Alright folks, just signed up to the forum.

I have my Stage 2 in July. Of course I have a long way to go but was wondering a couple of things for those successful in Stage 2 and Stage 3. Obviously as has been said many times, it is up the them where they put you, but if you end up on the area control path you will be in either 1 or 2 places, Swanick or Prestwick, is that correct?

Does anyone have any idea how often Trainee positions become available at Prestwick? Being from Glasgow this would be ideal for me so I'm hoping if I am fortunate enough to make it to the stage of being offered a position I would end up there.

In terms of the training plan, it's 8 months at a training centre(s) then you are placed in the work environment, if I am reading things right? If you were to be placed at Prestwick or Swanick after 8 months does that pretty much mean that is the centre at which you will be employed?

Any info much appreciated!
chips1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2018, 16:49
  #10588 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London
Posts: 3
Talking

[QUOTE=chips1;

As I'm led to believe, basic training is in either Swanwick, Gloucester or Jerez and lasts two months or so. Then for area control, yes, either Swanwick or Prestwick.
As for how often training positions become available in Prestwick, I personally do not know the rate of recruitment for Prestwick; I regret to say the answer is probably "in line with the demands of the business". On that note, I was told by a NATS employee that once, a group of trainees completed their area control training and then right before they were to be posted, NATS needed more tower controllers, and so they ALL retrained to become tower controllers. Based on this, your guess is as good as mine when it comes to recruitment rates.

After the basic training (2-3 months), and the specific training (area: +9 months / aerodrome: +5 months / aerodrome/approach: +8 months), you then have 12-18 months of work placements. I do not believe that where your work placement is is always where you'll be posted once you validate. For example, if you were a tower controller in Heathrow on your work placement, at the end of the placement once you become validated, there may be a need for a tower controller in Aberdeen. Off to Aberdeen you go! (Everyone seems to hate Aberdeen, haha, I'm not entirely sure why but it gets scapegoated a lot!) However, it is probably very likely that those who train as an Area Controller in Swanwick will probably then validate and continue to work in Swanwick. From what I've read and people I've spoken to, that seems to be the case. I imagine it's probably very similar for Prestwick. Finally, while the demands of the business take priority, it is not unheard of to have your preferences accommodated for: on youtube search for this "NATS TRAINEES ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS PART 1 ASKNATS.

I tried to post a link but the forum wouldn't let me.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your Stage 2!
GreenATC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2018, 19:10
  #10589 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by GreenATC View Post
After the basic training (2-3 months), and the specific training (area: +9 months / aerodrome: +5 months / aerodrome/approach: +8 months), you then have 12-18 months of work placements. I do not believe that where your work placement is is always where you'll be posted once you validate. For example, if you were a tower controller in Heathrow on your work placement, at the end of the placement once you become validated, there may be a need for a tower controller in Aberdeen. Off to Aberdeen you go! (Everyone seems to hate Aberdeen, haha, I'm not entirely sure why but it gets scapegoated a lot!)
When you validate somewhere you are only validated for that specific sector of airspace, if you then move somewhere else you need to validate all over again. Therefore I think it'd only be in extremely rare cases that they'd send you somewhere else after you've validated.

At least that's my understanding!
DistinctlyPlain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2018, 19:25
  #10590 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, I have my stage 3 coming up soon and was looking for some advice. I've just graduated from university so have little work experience outside of part-time work so I'm a little nervous about the competency part of the interview. If there's anybody here who's passed stage 3 was just curious to know what sort of backgrounds you came from.

As for the technical portion of the interview is it mostly based off of the information pack? Will I be required to memorise all the plane statistics?

Would appreciate any info!
aviationtrainee33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2018, 19:36
  #10591 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: LONDON
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Mattb88 View Post
Hi all, new poster here. I found this page while looking for study aids for the NATS online assessments. Iím happy to say that Iíve passed stage 1 and I have my stage 2 assessment booked in for 02/07/18.

The learning material for the ATC test Iím not too worried about but from what Iíve heard about FEAST and DART thereís no real preparation - either you can do it or you canít.
Hi
Im new to this forum . congrats on passing your stage 1 assessment. Could you please suggest any reading aid for the online stage 1 assessment . Thanks
Atctrainee1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2018, 03:19
  #10592 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 2
.

Thanks GreenATC
chips1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2018, 08:28
  #10593 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: U.K
Posts: 2
NATS time to re-application?

Congrats to all successful with the NATS selection.

I recently failed the 2nd section of online tests (drat!!!) Can anybody say for certain if there is a required waiting period before reapplying? I canít find any info from NATS regarding this. Thanks
Frazman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2018, 14:09
  #10594 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Leigh
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Frazman View Post
Congrats to all successful with the NATS selection.

I recently failed the 2nd section of online tests (drat!!!) Can anybody say for certain if there is a required waiting period before reapplying? I canít find any info from NATS regarding this. Thanks
It's definitely 12 months I'm afraid.
​​​​​​
cunners7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2018, 14:46
  #10595 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London
Posts: 1
Stage 3 Assessment Day

Hi everyone,

Iíve just received an email after passing stage 2 to book in for the stage 3 interview day. Does anybody have any advice as to the set up of the day and what each part entails, especially the Eurocontrol computer-based assessment?

Thanks!
Cameron_95 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service