Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

NATS interview process

ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS interview process

Old 26th Apr 2018, 23:37
  #10561 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Leigh
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Caspian1 View Post
@ cunners7 - Yep, that feeling exactly. Seat of the pants the whole way. I think absolutely everyone who took/passed stages 2 and 3 would agree.
Yeah, I just got an email to say that I've passed stage 2, it's hard to judge how well you've done at the time and also it's easy to be self critical In these situations.
cunners7 is offline  
Old 27th Apr 2018, 08:22
  #10562 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Satyricon View Post
Theres being helpful and being vague...
When you say distances in the UK, is that in regards to the wake turbulence between aircraft?

I said it is just distances, this because they will ask you to estimate the distance between 2 cities within the UK. And about the wake turbulence, just remember the example in the booklet.
BrentvdP is offline  
Old 27th Apr 2018, 08:34
  #10563 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Near VTUU or EGPX
Age: 60
Posts: 262
Expect to be asked how to tell the time too, it is essential for avoiding action !

Schools in the UK Are Removing Analog Clocks Because Students Can't Tell Time
The Fat Controller is offline  
Old 28th Apr 2018, 13:05
  #10564 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: .
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by BrentvdP View Post
When you say distances in the UK, is that in regards to the wake turbulence between aircraft?

I said it is just distances, this because they will ask you to estimate the distance between 2 cities within the UK. And about the wake turbulence, just remember the example in the booklet.
Thank you for that. I have to admit I have read nothing about distance between cities in the uk in my booklet.

Can I just confirm the booklet attached to your email was: Version 3, 2nd February 2016?
Satyricon is offline  
Old 28th Apr 2018, 19:12
  #10565 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hants
Posts: 1
Distances

distances in atc probably refers to separation standards. In TC it’s 3 nm in AC it’s 5 miles. In tc it may extend to 5 miles after 80 miles from the radar head. I think, maybe wrong been a long time
Exdshurtsbad is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 08:57
  #10566 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Satyricon View Post
Thank you for that. I have to admit I have read nothing about distance between cities in the uk in my booklet.

Can I just confirm the booklet attached to your email was: Version 3, 2nd February 2016?
Yes it is that version. The information wasn't in the booklet however there were in my test 2 questions about it. Same as the calculations, they weren't in the booklet, but were on the test.
BrentvdP is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 12:33
  #10567 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: .
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by BrentvdP View Post
Yes it is that version. The information wasn't in the booklet however there were in my test 2 questions about it. Same as the calculations, they weren't in the booklet, but were on the test.
Oh, well that's worth knowing, thanks for the heads up BrentvdP and well done on getting through Stage 2.
Satyricon is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 15:17
  #10568 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Norwich
Posts: 1
Is anyone else attending the stage 2 assessment day tomorrow?
Erakat is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:36
  #10569 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Whiteley
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Aviation67 View Post
Congrats on getting thorough, I also look forward to meeting you. I got sent my conditional contract about 3 weeks ago. Now I’m focusing on finding a place to stay near CTC, NATS have say they have contacts regarding accommodation, do you know anything of this yet or have you already sorted accommodation.

Cheers
I would take a look at spareroom.co.uk or wait until you know is on your course and maybe share a house. It isn't cheap near CTC. You will be lucky to get anything for less than £350 a month. NATS give an allowance towards this of £60 a week.
djblu1980 is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:20
  #10570 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 20
Has anyone who had their Stage 3 in April heard anything yet?
BARRY_SCOTT is offline  
Old 14th May 2018, 12:11
  #10571 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 9
Gloucester

Hey,

Does anybody know whether the training at Gloucester does both Area and Tower training? Or is CTC the only place that gives you the option of both?

Thanks in advance!
ATCkmmbbh1 is offline  
Old 14th May 2018, 15:47
  #10572 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Moon
Posts: 177
At the moment I believe Global can only do “Tower training”. In theory I suppose you could do a basic course there then go to CTC for an Area course. I would think this is unlikely because the course progression is Basic-Aerodrome-Approach Radar and it is easier for everyone involved to keep the same people on the course progression.
Also if you have been accepted as a NATS TATC the “option” to choose which course you go on will not be down to you!
Rgds
AyrTC
AyrTC is offline  
Old 14th May 2018, 21:20
  #10573 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by AyrTC View Post
At the moment I believe Global can only do “Tower training”. In theory I suppose you could do a basic course there then go to CTC for an Area course. I would think this is unlikely because the course progression is Basic-Aerodrome-Approach Radar and it is easier for everyone involved to keep the same people on the course progression.
Also if you have been accepted as a NATS TATC the “option” to choose which course you go on will not be down to you!
Rgds
AyrTC
That makes sense - thanks for explaining!
ATCkmmbbh1 is offline  
Old 21st May 2018, 01:38
  #10574 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Scotland
Posts: 12
Yes, NATS CTC is the only place you can do the area course, but they don't decide what route you go down until you are some way into your course (at the end of the basic course I think). So if they decide you're best suited for area control then they would send you to CTC after doing your basic course even if you did the basic at Global. They are sending a number of people to Jerez in Spain for the basic course and then following that they have to come back to the UK to CTC or Global to do the following courses, so I don't imagine they have any qualms about changing training locations after the basic course.
LaserEyes is offline  
Old 23rd May 2018, 18:09
  #10575 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Leeds
Posts: 3
Hiya been watching this forum for over a year but never posted!

So a little more than a year ago I had my stage 3 and sadly failed. However, in September I got an email from them saying

'Unfortunately though you were not successful on this application attempt, you however you did come close to the role requirements and therefore we would like to invite you to re-attend in 12 months time and allow you to progress straight through to the Stage 3 Assessment Centre. '

It goes on to say they'll email me 12 months from my original centre date, but I'm yet to hear anything!
Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I'm worried they've just forgotten about me
yux5 is offline  
Old 24th May 2018, 13:22
  #10576 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Southampton
Posts: 6
Hi everyone, am delighted to have passed stage 2 , I've received an email saying I need a valid passport to attend my stage 3? Has anyone without a passport been able to sit a stage 3 interview ? Happy to get one if need be
Caged_phoenix is offline  
Old 31st May 2018, 06:35
  #10577 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1
Hi all, new poster here. I found this page while looking for study aids for the NATS online assessments. I’m happy to say that I’ve passed stage 1 and I have my stage 2 assessment booked in for 02/07/18.

The learning material for the ATC test I’m not too worried about but from what I’ve heard about FEAST and DART there’s no real preparation - either you can do it or you can’t.
Mattb88 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2018, 10:47
  #10578 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 9
Caged_phoenix - I think someone in my Stage 3 forgot their passport and only had their driving license - I think they were ok but it delays the security process maybe? Worth calling them to check, just to be safe.

Mattb88 - Correct, there isn't any prep you can do for FEAST/DART!

I'm going to be joining the July course at CTC, anyone else on here doing the same? I've found a nice 2 bed flat to rent on the Portsmouth side if anyone is keen to share?
ATCkmmbbh1 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2018, 11:00
  #10579 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Caged_phoenix View Post
Hi everyone, am delighted to have passed stage 2 , I've received an email saying I need a valid passport to attend my stage 3? Has anyone without a passport been able to sit a stage 3 interview ? Happy to get one if need be
I forgot my passport to my Stage 3, but I did have to send it in the post afterwards when I was offered a place. I'd get in touch with recruitment if I was you and ask for alternatives.
Venyx is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2018, 12:32
  #10580 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London
Posts: 11
yux5 - Did you ever get a follow up regarding this?

ATCkmmbbh1 - Congrats on your course date, man. How long after the Stage 3 Assessment did you get your confirmation? Also quickly did you get booked into the medicals and security clearance? I also heard that there are two medicals: the NATS one that is a precursor to see if you will pass the Medical 3 Certificate. Is this right?

Finished my Stage 3 a while ago and just waiting for the outcome! Ahhh!
GreenATC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.