PDA

View Full Version : Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Yamarrie
20th Jul 2023, 14:26
Looks like BA have decided to start funding training through their training partners.

60 slots, I will definitely be applying. :)

Can't post links but just give "Speedbird Pilot Academy" a google.

bafanguy
20th Jul 2023, 21:57
The competition for those slots will be fierce.

V_2
20th Jul 2023, 22:06
Up to 60

fly744
21st Jul 2023, 03:19
Do you have to be a UK citizen/resident in order to apply?

ETOPS
21st Jul 2023, 08:44
Here's the link...

https://mediacentre.britishairways.com/pressrelease/details/17264?fbclid=PAAaZigiIl2msZgxyRt7RfxHNtwEFGXTX-EfMb6S4HnsOQ_MNg-qMh1mXd-tU

antonani1
21st Jul 2023, 10:09
great to hear, will be very competitive!

future_pilot_di
21st Jul 2023, 11:51
Do you have to be a UK citizen/resident in order to apply?
I'd imagine you'd need to and/or have rights to work within the UK.

class2ldn
31st Jul 2023, 05:31
Its times like these I wish I'd paid attention more at school, don't have the grades to apply,
only got gnvqs and btec diplomas from college so i don't believe they'll be enough for equivalents unfortunately, guess il have to stick to driving trains.

gerpols
31st Jul 2023, 07:23
It`s more fun then driving a bus .!!

VariablePitchP
31st Jul 2023, 08:23
Its times like these I wish I'd paid attention more at school, don't have the grades to apply,
only got gnvqs and btec diplomas from college so i don't believe they'll be enough for equivalents unfortunately, guess il have to stick to driving trains.

Get some GCSEs? No reason to assume you’re stuck with whatever you left school with.

If you wanted it enough you could easily get the last few GCSEs you need by next year.

Angle_of_Attack
31st Jul 2023, 09:04
Get some GCSEs? No reason to assume you’re stuck with whatever you left school with.

If you wanted it enough you could easily get the last few GCSEs you need by next year.

I love this suggestion. Great to see this kind of encouragement! It's never too late :)

RichardH
31st Jul 2023, 11:14
Get some GCSEs
Just be aware there are two tiers of GCSE most school students will sit the higher tier where grade A is possible but there is also a foundation tier with a maximum grade of C or 5 because it's easier. However, lots of colleges, universities & employers do not recognise foundation tier passes as a high enough entry standard & having seen some of the questions I agree. Do maths & physics as that will help with ATPLs.

class2ldn
2nd Aug 2023, 20:12

Well to find a fully funded program like this seems quite rare?
No way I could afford something like easyjet offer where you have to pay the money upfront so even if I did get the grades it wouldn't be in time for this campaign anyway.
Also just turned 40 so not exactly an ideal age is it compared to the amount of younger individuals who will be applying.

Chris the Robot
2nd Aug 2023, 22:20
No way I could afford something like easyjet offer where you have to pay the money upfront so even if I did get the grades it wouldn't be in time for this campaign anyway.
Also just turned 40 so not exactly an ideal age is it compared to the amount of younger individuals who will be applying.

I wouldn't rule yourself out, if you joined the railway after Train Driver training followed the Apprenticeship model, then you'll have the passed the "Functional Skills" assessments in English, Mathematics and ICT (each I believe equivalent to a "C" grade at GCSE) or had the equivalent GCSEs, which would likely boost your academic qualifications. You'll also have an Apprenticeship Certificate. They'll probably get applications with people who've got qualifications abroad but who have British residency etc. and sometimes what is equivalent or not is a bit of a minefield.

You've also mentioned BTECs and depending at the level these are at, they may be equivalent to GCSE or A-Level.

If in doubt, I'd be tempted to apply anyway, you have nothing to lose by doing so and the fact you've had a year of intensive training for your current job and passed it, along with the responsibility and experience your current role offers, should add a lot of weight to your application.

Angle_of_Attack
3rd Aug 2023, 08:38

My guy - don't give up! The age range is 18-55, if 40 were too old they wouldn't waste their time accepting applications.
They also plan to run the programme for at least the next years, hopefully indefinitely, so it's not too late to apply next year after getting any relevant qualifications.
They'll also be VERY interested in your passion, dedication and maturity. GO FOR IT!

SimonPaddo
3rd Aug 2023, 08:46
Interested to see how many more mature candidate make it in. I applied 30 years ago and max age was 30, I was 2 months past but applied and was rejected due to age. I appealed, but to no avail. I assume these days they cannot discriminate on age so good luck to all who apply.

Nino24
9th Aug 2023, 13:54
Hey guys,

did anyone record the speedbird academy teams call today, they had a live Q&A on teams

icedchailatte
9th Aug 2023, 17:50
Hey guys,

did anyone record the speedbird academy teams call today, they had a live Q&A on teams
I tried to, but was having technical difficulties, did anyone manage to get in the call? Anything interesting that they said ?

Pablopal
9th Aug 2023, 21:11
Some key points included:

Accommodation, food allowance and substance allowance provided
Application window will open in September
Flight school assessment in October
BA assessment in November
Offers made in November
Training commence Q1 2024
Could be based at Heathrow, Gatwick or London City (BA, Euroflyer, Cityflyer) on either A320 fleet or Embraer
Choice of 5 different fleet types after initial freeze (6 years).
Starting salary of £34,000

Selection:

Online application - you'll be asked about your motivation to join British Airways and Maths and situational judgement test.
Video interview - you will have to record your answers
Flight school technical test - assess your ability to work under pressure and see how you react to increasing workload with various computer based tests from the cut-e suite
Flight School Group exercise - assess your ability to work in a team, with a scenario you may face in your day-to-day role as a Pilot at British Airways.
Flight School Interview - demonstrate you have what it takes to become a BA pilot.
British Airways Assessment - interview and group exercise. There will be a presentation from the team to talk to you about life as a BA Pilot and also a chance to visit Speedbird Heritage Centre at Waterside​​​​​​​

sudden twang
9th Aug 2023, 22:10
Very helpful thank you Pablopal

future_pilot_di
10th Aug 2023, 00:09
very helpful. Thankyou

realECMLdriver
10th Aug 2023, 07:18
Interesting info and thanks for posting! Does anyone know if this varies much from the FPP application process? I was training to be a driver with Virgin Trains when FPP was open, so I didn't apply. Going to throw my hat in the ring this time and see what happens.

TheLandLubber
10th Aug 2023, 07:34
To add, you’ll be training with one of two yet-to-be-announced schools and it’s an fATPL programme, not MPL.

icedchailatte
10th Aug 2023, 13:12
Does anyone know if BA or the flight school that they’re working with will use Logical reasoning ?

rockwing
10th Aug 2023, 15:11
Nice one Pablopal! Any idea on being able to bagsy a spot for 2025 instead? Currently on a 9-month notice period...

PPRuNeUser0203
10th Aug 2023, 19:07
I couldn’t get on the Teams call either so thanks for sharing the info.

One quick question: did they say whether it’s an MPL or fATPL course?

Pablopal
10th Aug 2023, 21:16
Nice one Pablopal! Any idea on being able to bagsy a spot for 2025 instead? Currently on a 9-month notice period...

They asked to only apply if you are able to start in Q1 of 2024, they will not allow candidates to postpone start dates.

However they also said that they will be running the same course for the following year, so if you aren’t ready to start on this one, you can apply for the next one when it’s announced.

VariablePitchP
11th Aug 2023, 05:15

What’s the worst they can do if you just give them three months? Likely absolutely nothing!

icedchailatte
11th Aug 2023, 13:34
I know that BA has advertised UP TO sixty places, but did anyone catch on onto whether is actually sixty spots indefinitely in the teams call?

Paddyt03
12th Aug 2023, 18:47

Offers made in November
Could be based at Heathrow, Gatwick or London City (BA, Euroflyer, Cityflyer) on either A320 fleet or Embraer

Selection:

Online application - you'll be asked about your motivation to join British Airways and Maths and situational judgement test.
Flight school technical test - assess your ability to work under pressure and see how you react to increasing workload with various computer based tests from the cut-e suite
Flight School Group exercise - assess your ability to work in a team, with a scenario you may face in your day-to-day role as a Pilot at British Airways.
Flight School Interview - demonstrate you have what it takes to become a BA pilot.
British Airways Assessment - interview and group exercise. There will be a presentation from the team to talk to you about life as a BA Pilot and also a chance to visit Speedbird Heritage Centre at Waterside

Does anybody have any recommendations of websites/providers to help prepare for the application process?

What is the ‘ situational judgment’ test in the initial online application?

Nino24
13th Aug 2023, 12:42
Does anyone know what flight school it’s going to be with? I have a friend at L3Harris and apparently it’s not with them, which I’m surprised!

hobbit1983
13th Aug 2023, 15:36
...I have a friend at L3Harris and apparently it’s not with them, which I’m surprised!

......why?

Nino24
13th Aug 2023, 15:52
......why?

not sure, our flying won’t be done in the UK it’s going to be either in Florida or somewhere in Europe

cryptoknight
14th Aug 2023, 18:35
training in Europe and US are so much cheaper and cost effective.

PilotDoctor
18th Aug 2023, 17:48
I'd imagine you'd need to and/or have rights to work within the UK.

it was interesting that they did not include the citizenship or right to live and work which i was sure had in previous announcments so i checked it from wayback machine and yes they kept all the requirement except that. i will definitely apply from outside uk

mavisbacon
22nd Aug 2023, 19:00
Does anyone know what flight school it’s going to be with? I have a friend at L3Harris and apparently it’s not with them, which I’m surprised!
Given that BA are a Spanish owned airline going to be FTE I'd have thought.

Nino24
22nd Aug 2023, 19:25
Given that BA are a Spanish owned airline going to be FTE I'd have thought.

I heard it’s with FTE Jerez the rumours.

Alex Whittingham
22nd Aug 2023, 20:40
if I was BA it would be FTE Jerez and Skyborne

DawnChorus01
22nd Aug 2023, 23:03
I couldn’t get in, what were the main point brought up in the 2nd BA call

SP747
23rd Aug 2023, 15:19
Hi DawnChrus01,
You have not missed anything if you have attended the first session on 09 August. However, now there are 70 places instead of 60. Which is good. The recruiters have not confirmed eligibility queries related to non-UK citizens or permanent residents.

Additionally, you can not live at your home while under training as BA will have paid the cost of accommodation and food to the chosen flight school.

Besides, if you have previous flying experience, then the Head of the Flight Training School will decide on how much reduction in flight training will be allowed.

I hope this helps you and other on the forum.

Arena_33
23rd Aug 2023, 17:10
Am I right in hearing on the call yesterday that anyone who has passed an ATPL exam is not eligible to apply?

Angle_of_Attack
23rd Aug 2023, 17:26
Am I right in hearing on the call yesterday that anyone who has passed an ATPL exam is not eligible to apply?

Correct, they require first-time passes so technically it would be considered a second pass as you'd have to re-do them regardless.

PilotDoctor
23rd Aug 2023, 17:57
Hi DawnChrus01,
You have not missed anything if you have attended the first session on 09 August. However, now there are 70 places instead of 60. Which is good. The recruiters have not confirmed eligibility queries related to non-UK citizens or permanent residents.

Additionally, you can not live at your home while under training as BA will have paid the cost of accommodation and food to the chosen flight school.

Besides, if you have previous flying experience, then the Head of the Flight Training School will decide on how much reduction in flight training will be allowed.

I hope this helps you and other on the forum.

Thank you for the information i also could not attend the meeting. Is anybody there asked about non-uk citizen requirements? did they say we are working on it or?

TheLandLubber
24th Aug 2023, 06:24
They’re working on it - complexities of immigration law given you won’t be employed during training.

SP747
24th Aug 2023, 09:11
Thank you for the information i also could not attend the meeting. Is anybody there asked about non-UK citizen requirements? did they say we are working on it or?
Hi PilotDoctor,

Unfortunately not. They are still debating internally with their employer law team and immigration team to finalise on the eligibility criteria for candidates. My best guess is that non-UK Citizens may not be allowed to apply as UK Home Office Immigration Rules want to restrict people from outside the UK to come and work for a UK company.

It is political! General elections are within a year's time and British people want their fair share of employment and politicians want to please as many local people as they can. (i.e., classic politics)

I am not sure if this helps.

BH98
24th Aug 2023, 11:02

Offers made in November

Selection:

British Airways Assessment - interview and group exercise. There will be a presentation from the team to talk to you about life as a BA Pilot and also a chance to visit Speedbird Heritage Centre at Waterside​​​​​​​

Invaluable - thank you for sharing this for those of us that could not attend.

I echo what others have asked -- does anyone have any suggestions for how to best prepare for the assessment? Any recommended aptitude test sites or training modules that are not just a cash-grab?

PilotDoctor
25th Aug 2023, 18:10
Hi PilotDoctor,

Unfortunately not. They are still debating internally with their employer law team and immigration team to finalise on the eligibility criteria for candidates. My best guess is that non-UK Citizens may not be allowed to apply as UK Home Office Immigration Rules want to restrict people from outside the UK to come and work for a UK company.

It is political! General elections are within a year's time and British people want their fair share of employment and politicians want to please as many local people as they can. (i.e., classic politics)

I am not sure if this helps.

thank you. i will keep hoping :)

Lawrence2725
27th Aug 2023, 14:18
On this Teams call, was it mentioned how the salary changes with time? And how do they decide who goes to mainline, Euroflyer, Cityflyer after completion of training? As the T's and C's are different at each one...

Nino24
28th Aug 2023, 10:54
On this Teams call, was it mentioned how the salary changes with time? And how do they decide who goes to mainline, Euroflyer, Cityflyer after completion of training? As the T's and C's are different at each one...

they didn’t mention nothing like that just yet, we was just told we start at 34000 after our training as a second officer.

i have also heard rumours from BA people that they are going to open applications first for internals only then externals can apply. On the bright side they have increased the intake from 60 to 70.

I’m just hopping they open the applications on the 1st of September, the sooner the better!

icedchailatte
29th Aug 2023, 19:15
Does anyone know how long the application window will be open for ?

Nino24
29th Aug 2023, 19:30
Does anyone know how long the application window will be open for ?

I am guessing nothing more than 3-4 weeks as their on a very tight schedule.

September - Applications open
October - Online Tests and Online Interview
November - BA assessment Waterside / Offer

Lauda
30th Aug 2023, 09:05
Correct, they require first-time passes so technically it would be considered a second pass as you'd have to re-do them regardless.

How about PPL exams? If you sat PPL exams before (theoretical knowledge) would that make you unable to apply too?
I think I heard them say if you do have a PPL you are still eligible to apply but I’m not so sure now!

FuturePilot_123
30th Aug 2023, 21:17

Surely this can’t be true? An applicant that’s already passed some ATPL exams is surely the reassurance they are looking for.

Most other cadet schemes will consider an applicant who have some ATPLs under their belt. Especially if passed first time.

Nino24
30th Aug 2023, 21:20
Surely this can’t be true? An applicant that’s already passed some ATPL exams is surely the reassurance they are looking for.

Most other cadet schemes will consider an applicant who has some ATPLs under their belt.

unfortunately this is true, I was on the live call which they have stated anyone that has over certain amount of flying hours PPL / any who already has ATPL modules are deemed as over qualified.

they are looking for people with literally 0 flying experience under their belt, I don’t know why!

FuturePilot_123
30th Aug 2023, 21:33
unfortunately this is true, I was on the live call which they have stated anyone that has over certain amount of flying hours PPL / any who already has ATPL modules are deemed as over qualified.

they are looking for people with literally 0 flying experience under their belt, I don’t know why!

this is a real shame. I’m a few years in to my modular journey, and I dedicate almost every minute of my spare time (alongside a full time job) to get as much done as I can to fulfil my dream.

I literally bank on these opportunities. I see them as a golden ticket to the flight deck. I am quite surprised as most cadet schemes allow some ATPL exams. A lot of good pilots will fall between the cracks here if this is the case.
I imagined that having some ATPLs under your belt would reassure BA that you are competent in the most difficult part of the whole course, as most will know - the ATPLs require a lot of hard work and dedication.

Nino24
30th Aug 2023, 21:36
this is a real shame. I’m a few years in to my modular journey, and I dedicate almost every minute of my spare time (alongside a full time job) to get as much done as I can to fulfil my dream.

I literally bank on these opportunities. I see them as a golden ticket to the flight deck. I am quite surprised as most cadet schemes allow some ATPL exams. A lot of good pilots will fall between the cracks here if this is the case.
I imagined that having some ATPLs under your belt would reassure BA that you are competent in the most difficult part of the whole course, as most will know - the ATPLs require a lot of hard work and dedication.

100% agree with you, I heard Aer Lingus cadet scheme take on candidates with some ATPL modules also check out TUI later in the year!

jedro
31st Aug 2023, 06:15

I don't believe this is correct, having been on the calls myself. As others have stated, previous ATPL passes are not acceptable as you would end up with some passes under one "series" (I think that's the term they use) and the remainder under another. This breaks their rule for pilots having passed all the exams in one series.

It's not a question of being "over qualified" and they never mentioned anything about having a maximum number of allowable PPL hours. They stressed that you aren't at a disadvantage if you haven't done PPL, although they recommended doing at least a taster flight if you had never had that experience before.

VariablePitchP
31st Aug 2023, 06:21

It has always been the case. It can get real fiddly if you’ve already had sittings. I’d suggest you’re perhaps mistaken by the type of cadet programmes on offer if they accept ATPL attempts. Big difference between a cadet programme and just getting a type rating somewhere.

You either go the Modular route, generally the better route anyway, or hold out for one of these schemes, you can’t do both.

FuturePilot_123
31st Aug 2023, 06:53
It has always been the case. It can get real fiddly if you’ve already had sittings. I’d suggest you’re perhaps mistaken by the type of cadet programmes on offer if they accept ATPL attempts. Big difference between a cadet programme and just getting a type rating somewhere.

You either go the Modular route, generally the better route anyway, or hold out for one of these schemes, you can’t do both.

Roger that. What you are saying makes sense seen as though this is for an fATPL? Most other cadet schemes are for an MPL, however still require ATPLs to be completed.

FuturePilot_123
31st Aug 2023, 07:16
What if you’ve got all ATPL examinations complete in one series? First time passes? With an average above 85%.

The reason I’m questioning this, is because having ATPLs is still a fair distance away from having the requirements to apply for their other future pilot programmes. I will still struggle to find the funding to complete a CPL ME IR? And an UPRT?

If I didn’t have a full time occupation I could clear my remaining ATPL exams in few months.

Nino24
31st Aug 2023, 07:23
I don't believe this is correct, having been on the calls myself. As others have stated, previous ATPL passes are not acceptable as you would end up with some passes under one "series" (I think that's the term they use) and the remainder under another. This breaks their rule for pilots having passed all the exams in one series.

It's not a question of being "over qualified" and they never mentioned anything about having a maximum number of allowable PPL hours. They stressed that you aren't at a disadvantage if you haven't done PPL, although they recommended doing at least a taster flight if you had never had that experience before.

sorry, so people with ATPL modules are they allowed to apply? Or maybe people with some modules may be fast tracked in the cadet scheme

VariablePitchP
31st Aug 2023, 13:37
Roger that. What you are saying makes sense seen as though this is for an fATPL? Most other cadet schemes are for an MPL, however still require ATPLs to be completed.

MPL just has a different flight training route, theoretical section is the same. You can’t get an airline job without ATPL passes as the minimum requirement is an fATPL. At 1500 hours the MPL more or less just becomes an ATPL anyway

VariablePitchP
31st Aug 2023, 13:38
sorry, so people with ATPL modules are they allowed to apply? Or maybe people with some modules may be fast tracked in the cadet scheme

Absolutely not. You are applying for an integrated training scheme which takes you from zero to hero in one simple step :}

There are strict rules about numbers of ‘sittings’ and passes etc, as well as the timeline between passing an exam and completing training. If you’ve started down the Modular path then, presumably, you probably have a plan to pay for it. Which isn’t the demographic this scheme seems to be geared towards.

Nino24
31st Aug 2023, 20:34
Does anyone know when the application will go live? Hoping tomorrow can fill out all the necessary info over the weekend and submit on Monday!

FuturePilot_123
31st Aug 2023, 21:18
Absolutely not. You are applying for an integrated training scheme which takes you from zero to hero in one simple step :}

There are strict rules about numbers of ‘sittings’ and passes etc, as well as the timeline between passing an exam and completing training. If you’ve started down the Modular path then, presumably, you probably have a plan to pay for it. Which isn’t the demographic this scheme seems to be geared towards.

agree re. your comment on sittings and timeline, but disagree with your statement on demographic.

With these opportunities comes an element of risk for BA - they need highly skilled competent people who can digest the sheer volume of theory in the ATPLs and pass all flight training exams.

Being a modular student and having some ATPLs under your belt, doesn’t necessarily mean you can and will get to the end goal of funding all the training.
So your assumption is inaccurate. I wouldn’t call a 30k loan a “plan”.

PPRuNeUser0195
31st Aug 2023, 21:35
agree re. your comment on sittings and timeline, but disagree with your statement on demographic.

With these opportunities comes an element of risk for BA - they need highly skilled competent people who can digest the sheer volume of theory in the ATPLs and pass all flight training exams.

Being a modular student and having some ATPLs under your belt, doesn’t necessarily mean you can and will get to the end goal of funding all the training.

I’m sorry but I disagree. A £30k loan is exactly that, a plan. You plan to take a loan out to finish the training. In the same way that some peoples plan is to take a loan out for an integrated course. Some people don’t have the luxury of being able to just get a £30k loan to pay for flying as they have other commitments, families, mortgage etc - so this scheme is perfectly suited for them. If you have started your ATPL exams then you will be viewed as having a long term plan. Let’s face it, the ATPLs are a hard slog to get through if you don’t think you can finish training!

belugaInBroughton
31st Aug 2023, 23:30
Does anyone know when the application will go live? Hoping tomorrow can fill out all the necessary info over the weekend and submit on Monday!

Mind if I ask how your prepping for the application process and further assessment to come?

Nino24
1st Sep 2023, 05:35
I’m sorry but I disagree. A £30k loan is exactly that, a plan. You plan to take a loan out to finish the training. In the same way that some peoples plan is to take a loan out for an integrated course. Some people don’t have the luxury of being able to just get a £30k loan to pay for flying as they have other commitments, families, mortgage etc - so this scheme is perfectly suited for them. If you have started your ATPL exams then you will be viewed as having a long term plan. Let’s face it, the ATPLs are a hard slog to get through if you don’t think you can finish training!

I don’t think the last bit is correct, people who already hold any ATPL modules are deemed as “over qualified” as BA stated this on the live teams call. They are literally taking people with little flying and PPL holders by the looks of things!

I believe people with ATPL modules should be given a chance on this scheme as well.

PPRuNeUser0195
1st Sep 2023, 06:33
I don’t think the last bit is correct, people who already hold any ATPL modules are deemed as “over qualified” as BA stated this on the live teams call. They are literally taking people with little flying and PPL holders by the looks of things!

I believe people with ATPL modules should be given a chance on this scheme as well.

The whole point of the scheme is that it’s to get people into the flight deck who currently wouldn’t be able to. If you have completed ATPLs then they’re going to view you as someone who has an option to get into the flight deck.

dakar613
1st Sep 2023, 08:21
Mind if I ask how your prepping for the application process and further assessment to come?

DM sent

belugaInBroughton
1st Sep 2023, 08:38
DM sent
thanks

VariablePitchP
1st Sep 2023, 17:27

I think you’re still missing the point. The scheme is for people who never even considered the idea of becoming a pilot because of the cost. Idea is presumably to get as diverse a talent pool as they can. Not yet more copy and paste aerospace engineering grads who have always wanted to fly and likely will end up flying regardless of Modular/integrated route.

Schwayne
1st Sep 2023, 18:29
Hello all,

Was it mentioned about the pay?

I see the statement that a salary will become available after training.

My question is how are you going to be able to support payments of a mortgage and other bills if you are not being paid from the outset.

Training is going to take roughly 18 months, this is a long time to cover with a loan.

How are others going to support themselves during the training period?

icedchailatte
2nd Sep 2023, 13:07
Hey guys i have a theory that applications will open on monday since it’s the first monday of the month but who knows lol

belugaInBroughton
2nd Sep 2023, 14:32
Hey guys i have a theory that applications will open on monday since it’s the first monday of the month but who knows lol
That makes sense.
i just want it to start already so I can start booking sims and medicals haha

toofytoofy
2nd Sep 2023, 22:29
DM sent
Can you send it to me please, How I can prepare myself for the interview and assessment?

I hope to hear from you ASAP please

Many thanks

Jazz777
3rd Sep 2023, 15:29
Can you send it to me please, How I can prepare myself for the interview and assessment?

Many thanks

I joined a live YouTube channel yesterday and some resources to use in preparation for the assessments and interviews were shared. I can’t post them here but search Stephen AV8 on YT and check the description section of the live video.

Jazz777
3rd Sep 2023, 16:14

Many thanks

search Stephen AV8 on the most popular search engine

toofytoofy
4th Sep 2023, 09:56
search Stephen AV8 on the most popular search engine
Thanks Jazz so much for you

Nino24
4th Sep 2023, 11:55
Would’ve thought the application would be open by now!

Breezy12
4th Sep 2023, 20:02
Hello all,

Was it mentioned about the pay?

I see the statement that a salary will become available after training.

My question is how are you going to be able to support payments of a mortgage and other bills if you are not being paid from the outset.

Training is going to take roughly 18 months, this is a long time to cover with a loan.

How are others going to support themselves during the training period?
I was wondering the exact same thing as you.

Also, the starting salary is £34k... what is the progression after this? - is the cost of the flight training paid back on a salary sacrifice scheme?

Lewil2
4th Sep 2023, 20:17

Thanks, Nino, Does anybody know the maximum hours that they will accept?

dkenny
4th Sep 2023, 20:27
Does anybody have a rough idea of application levels and then how many go through to each stage out of curiosity?

how many of you have applied more than once etc?

cheers

VariablePitchP
5th Sep 2023, 14:58
I was wondering the exact same thing as you.

Also, the starting salary is £34k... what is the progression after this? - is the cost of the flight training paid back on a salary sacrifice scheme?

As they’ve made public, there’s an allowance paid during training. The training is fully funded so there’s no repayment afterwards.

How would you cover normal bills during training? Pass, you’d hope that if you’ve been dreaming of this for a while you might have started saving anyway, so throw that at the problem. Interest free credit card for 24 months covers the bills. Beg, borrow, (maybe not) steal.

It’s absolutely achievable if you need it to be, phenomenal opportunity.

icedchailatte
5th Sep 2023, 17:34
my theory was obviously wrong haha

dkenny
5th Sep 2023, 17:45
my theory was obviously wrong haha but i think it’s a good thing as it gives us time to fully prepare !!!

What is actually the best way to prepare unless anybody has been through it before!

Planner01
5th Sep 2023, 21:18

Having being involved in the recruitment process for cadet schemes this is correct. Most completely underestimate the ATPL syllabus and it is a huge amount of complex theory to understand. We wanted to see something on your application that proves you can handle that, whether it's great A levels, a solid STEM degree or even some ATPL passes which shows you are aware of what is involved.
The ATPL theory is the stage most drop out at in Integrated courses and that is a huge risk for sponsored schemes.
PPL and ATPL theory are the cheap parts of modular training and in order to be able to pay for overall life costs during a full time course then you'll need to be in a financially strong position anyway unless you are still younger and living with parents.
A 30k a loan wouldn't even cover PPL, hour building and ATPL exams at current UK prices.

I_like_flying
6th Sep 2023, 07:54
Does anyone have an idea when applications will open? I keep checking regularly, but it seems they aren't open yet.

fredddyfred
6th Sep 2023, 16:09
Some key updates from the Q&A Session today :

NEED TO HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK & STUDY IN THE UK WITHOUT SPONSORSHIP
Working with 2 flight schools - yet to be announced
The application will open in the next couple of weeks - September
Flight school assessment - October
BA assessment - November
Offers made - November
Training starts - March,
Don't need a cover letter for the application - they said even if uploaded, they won't read it
Don't need to do Class 1 CAA, BA will sponsor it

Nino24
6th Sep 2023, 20:10
Some key updates from the Q&A Session today :

NEED TO HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK & STUDY IN THE UK WITHOUT SPONSORSHIP
Working with 2 flight schools - yet to be announced
The application will open in the next couple of weeks - September
Flight school assessment - October
BA assessment - November
Offers made - November
Training starts - March,
Don't need a cover letter for the application - they said even if uploaded, they won't read it
Don't need to do Class 1 CAA, BA will sponsor it

also to add - anyone that holds any ATPL modules cannot apply. This is deemed as overqualified.

CaptN
7th Sep 2023, 05:07
also to add - anyone that holds any ATPL modules cannot apply. This is deemed as overqualified.

I saw it mentioned that too many hours of PPL flying could lead to a rejected application; does anyone know how many flight hours? Also, would completing PPL ground exams preclude you from the scheme?

FuturePilot_123
7th Sep 2023, 05:41
I saw it mentioned that too many hours of PPL flying could lead to a rejected application; does anyone know how many flight hours? Also, would completing PPL ground exams preclude you from the scheme?

this is not accurate. Anything up to and including a PPL is totally acceptable.

Too many people on here trying to muddy the water!

CaptN
7th Sep 2023, 08:14
this is not accurate. Anything up to and including a PPL is totally acceptable.

Too many people on here trying to muddy the water!

OK, thank you FuturePilot for clearing that up! :)

Sidbob
7th Sep 2023, 22:27
Hello,
Apologies if this has already been covered. Does anyone know how long the £34k salary is paid for before increasing. I believe with TUI this similar salary for cadets is for 4 years (guessing to recover training costs). Has anyone heard anything similar timeline wise with BA?

PilotDoctor
8th Sep 2023, 07:30
really dissapointed about the decision for overseas applicants.

PPRuNeUser0195
8th Sep 2023, 07:33

there’s no real option for them to be able to make it work, it’s UK law that would prevent it unfortunately.

BH98
8th Sep 2023, 08:24

What decision was made? Where is this info being published please?

fly744
8th Sep 2023, 08:53
Have BA stated if overseas/EU applicants are allowed to apply for the cadet scheme ?

fredddyfred
8th Sep 2023, 08:58
Did BA stated overseas/EU applicants are not allowed to apply?
They didn't, but you have to sort out your own visa and it has to cover the duration of the training, so it can't be the 6 months visitor visa unfortunately.

realECMLdriver
8th Sep 2023, 09:05
Right to work/study in the UK without sponsorship would probably suggest it isn't open to EU/overseas applicants unless you have dual citizenship or something. Happy to be corrected.

Let's be honest, they'll fill their ranks with locals without breaking a sweat and until they encounter issues with low application numbers and/or lack of retention then I can't see the net being cast wider. I've long accepted that I won't be eligible to apply for the cadet scheme(s) of other national carriers. Quite rightly so if they can employ a citizen who more than meets the standard without having to go through the additional complexities of sponsorship, etc. Not what some people want to hear, but just my 2p worth.

PPRuNeUser0195
8th Sep 2023, 09:13
Right to work/study in the UK without sponsorship would probably suggest it isn't open to EU/overseas applicants unless you have dual citizenship or something. Happy to be corrected.

Let's be honest, they'll fill their ranks with locals without breaking a sweat and until they encounter issues with low application numbers and/or lack of retention then I can't see the net being cast wider. I've long accepted that I won't be eligible to apply for the cadet scheme(s) of other national carriers. Quite rightly so if they can employ a citizen who more than meets the standard without having to go through the additional complexities of sponsorship, etc. Not what some people want to hear, but just my 2p worth.

Hit the nail on the head. There’s enough people within the U.K. who will be applying, so they have no requirement to sponsor people’s applications for visas etc.

BH98
8th Sep 2023, 11:59

Makes sense. This is the first year of an annual scheme however, so I wouldn’t rule it out in the future for those that can’t apply now!

icedchailatte
9th Sep 2023, 16:54
Hey everyone this is a little unrelated but the TUI MPL scheme will no longer be accepting atpl holders ?? which is surprising because they accepted them in the first intake.

FuturePilot_123
9th Sep 2023, 17:08
Hey everyone this is a little unrelated but the TUI MPL scheme will no longer be accepting atpl holders ?? which is surprising because they accepted them in the first intake.

Hi. Where did you get this info from?

Thanks.

icedchailatte
9th Sep 2023, 17:45
On the TUI mpl website if you scroll down to FAQ’s

PPRuNeUser0195
9th Sep 2023, 18:03

It makes sense and I agree with them. If you’ve completed ATPL exams then you clearly have a plan to complete your training. These schemes are designed for people who cannot afford to do so.

Chris the Robot
10th Sep 2023, 08:28
I hope they take the best people for the job out of those who have the right to work here. If economic background is looked at too much it'll end up like the Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen sketch.

There's a lot of us who couldn't afford cadet schemes a decade ago so got careers elsewhere and through hard work we're in with a chance of being able to fund modular training. I wouldn't want us to be disadvantaged in the process as a result of that.

FuturePilot_123
10th Sep 2023, 08:39
I hope they take the best people for the job out of those who have the right to work here. If economic background is looked at too much it'll end up like the Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen sketch.

There's a lot of us who couldn't afford cadet schemes a decade ago so got careers elsewhere and through hard work we're in with a chance of being able to fund modular training. I wouldn't want us to be disadvantaged in the process as a result of that.

In relation to the latter part of your message - I totally agree. 2/3 years ago I was one of those applicants with no experience. I was up against many applicants with PPLs and ATPLs. On reflection, I could understand why I did not get a position on a cadetship.

Since, I used my degree to get myself a well paid job and as a result I could afford to start a pay as you go Modular approach to my training.
Having now started some ATPLs it would appear I am too far gone to even apply to these cadetships.

I appreciate these schemes are advertised as “cadet”, predominantly looking for people with no experience, but ultimately, this is not an easy training route (especially ATPL theory) so those who have found a way to get started on the journey should not be exempt from applying.

FuturePilot_123
10th Sep 2023, 08:45
I would also like to add.. being a modular student doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an easy funded route to the licence.

I work 5 days a week, juggle the ATPLs on top of this, keep my hands in flying while I can, pay my bills and a mortgage.

So, moral of my story - these cadetships are still very much worth their weight in gold to those who are still struggling to fund the journey, but are trying their best to make it happen!

Paddyt03
10th Sep 2023, 08:56
I would also like to add.. being a modular student doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an easy funded route to the licence.

I work 5 days a week, juggle the ATPLs on top of this, keep my hands in flying while I can, pay my bills and a mortgage.

So, moral of my story - these cadetships are still very much worth their weight in gold to those who are still struggling to fund the journey, but are trying their best to make it happen!

Spot on!

jedro
10th Sep 2023, 09:46

From everything that has been said in the presentations I do believe they are focussed on hiring the best people. For BA this is an investment in getting a pipeline of quality new pilots, not an altruistic gift to a marginalised group. There are plenty of other industries where professional qualifications are funded by employers, and those employers seek out the best people they can to maximise the value of their investment. They don't take on the neediest in society to maximise the social impact.

I think people are getting mislead by the whole ATPL theory issue, but there are plenty of reasons for this other than penalising people smart/rich enough to have started the exams. The fact that TUI have abruptly changed their approach to match BA demonstrates that there must be issues from their side that make this difficult.

Capt Pit Bull
11th Sep 2023, 07:59
9 month notice? Name and shame….. that is quite outeageous.

tobyp14
11th Sep 2023, 09:35
Good website recommendations for online testing revision?

T00theless
11th Sep 2023, 12:55
Does anyone know if there is a limit on applying if you don’t get in this year? As in can you only apply once, or if you have to wait a few years before reapplying if you don’t make it in the first 60 places?

icedchailatte
11th Sep 2023, 18:34
Pretty sure she said on the live stream you can only apply three times but idk how true this is. Not sure if that’s official.

fredddyfred
12th Sep 2023, 08:27
Guys, the application will open on 19th September, the criteria is also updated on their career site.
Good luck everyone!

Citium
12th Sep 2023, 10:51
Thanks Freddy!

Lewil2
13th Sep 2023, 11:47
How has everyone been prepping for the numerical reasoning? Only so many tests on BBC Bitesize. Also, does anyone have an idea what to expect. GCSE Maths is pretty broad….

icedchailatte
13th Sep 2023, 11:48
They’re confirmed training are with skyborne and FTEJEREZ!!!! I knew it lol 😂
also the window will only be open for a week from sept 19th

Nino24
13th Sep 2023, 13:02
They’re confirmed training are with skyborne and FTEJEREZ!!!! I knew it lol 😂
also the window will only be open for a week from sept 19th

I knew it was FTEJerez from the start

icedchailatte
13th Sep 2023, 13:33
how did you know ? or was it a good guess

Nino24
13th Sep 2023, 13:37
how did you know ? or was it a good guess

I know some people at FTEjerez, but I didn’t know about skyborne

PPRuNeUser0203
13th Sep 2023, 13:44
How has everyone been prepping for the numerical reasoning? Only so many tests on BBC Bitesize. Also, does anyone have an idea what to expect. GCSE Maths is pretty broad….

I shelled out for Skytest which includes some great mental maths exercises.

It could be anything but I’ve been told to expect distance-speed-time-eta type questions, ground-vs-airspeed, ROD and TOD calculations maybe. Or perhaps random examples that test similar abilities.

Basically, I’d expect lots of addition and subtraction, multiplication and division of 3 digit numbers.

And it can’t hurt to brush up on BODMAS surely!

Tobias0501
14th Sep 2023, 16:38
Been scouring the speedbird details as much as possible but can’t find the answer to my question! While the course is funded, and they contribute to accomodation ect, will they still pay you while doing the training? Having a mortgage means I have bills to pay but don’t want to miss out on the oppertunity!

VariablePitchP
14th Sep 2023, 16:47
Been scouring the speedbird details as much as possible but can’t find the answer to my question! While the course is funded, and they contribute to accomodation ect, will they still pay you while doing the training? Having a mortgage means I have bills to pay but don’t want to miss out on the oppertunity!

You get an allowance, as to what that is who knows.

You’ve got maybe six months. If the mortgage is due and you have literally zero savings, this is where you pick up the second, third and fourth job to bank some cash.

Throw your life on an interest free credit card for a couple of years if you have to. To let this pass because you’ve got a few loose ends will be something you never stop regretting.

PPRuNeUser0195
14th Sep 2023, 18:51

I don’t know what you’re paying on your mortgage, but I highly doubt it’s enough to cover that if it’s anything like mine. My understanding is the allowance they contribute will be in the hundreds.

Thesootybear123
14th Sep 2023, 19:16
Does anyone know how long the bond is for once training is completed?

TheLandLubber
15th Sep 2023, 06:04
Does anyone know how long the bond is for once training is completed?

No idea, but their old Future Pilot Programme had a 7 year bond

laurex
16th Sep 2023, 14:29

Arw they reffering to UK CAA exams only? I have got exams passed under Austro control, so technically it would be my first attempt with UK CAA

PPRuNeUser0195
16th Sep 2023, 14:50
Arw they reffering to UK CAA exams only? I have got exams passed under Austro control, so technically it would be my first attempt with UK CAA

They didn’t specify CAA or EASA, just that if you’ve completed any ATPL exams you wouldn’t be eligible. They also didn’t specify the reason being to do with first time passes to my knowledge?

FuturePilot_123
16th Sep 2023, 15:00
They didn’t specify CAA or EASA, just that if you’ve completed any ATPL exams you wouldn’t be eligible. They also didn’t specify the reason being to do with first time passes to my knowledge?

it’s a shame because my exam schedule is lined up to finish in August, and so far it’s my first series sitting and I have first time passes in all with an average above 85%.

Really disappointed but keeping hopeful they launch another program for similar people to myself in near future.

laurex
16th Sep 2023, 18:20
I cannot understand why I wouldn't be eligible, as my exams are not valid in the eyes of CAA yet proves I'm more than capable of passing them. About the first time passes, I saw it in one of the comments in this chat

VariablePitchP
16th Sep 2023, 18:38
I cannot understand why I wouldn't be eligible, as my exams are not valid in the eyes of CAA yet proves I'm more than capable of passing them. About the first time passes, I saw it in one of the comments in this chat

As has been said multiple times, the scheme is evidently targeting people without the means to complete training.

You do, or if you don’t then starting training without a clear financial plan was pretty courageous.

FuturePilot_123
16th Sep 2023, 18:44
As has been said multiple times, the scheme is evidently targeting people without the means to complete training.

You do, or if you don’t then starting training without a clear financial plan was pretty courageous.

Said it before, I’ll say it again - it still doesn’t mean these opportunities are not worth their weight in gold to modular students too. You say this as if a 30k loan to complete a CPL ME IR is nothing.

PPRuNeUser0195
16th Sep 2023, 19:32
It’s fairly simple, BA are targeting people who do not have the means to get into the flight deck. If you have done exams you have the means otherwise you wouldn’t have started them.

PPRuNeUser0195
16th Sep 2023, 19:34
Said it before, I’ll say it again - it still doesn’t mean these opportunities are not worth their weight in gold to modular students too. You say this as if a 30k loan to complete a CPL ME IR is nothing.

Count yourself lucky you can get a loan to finish your training, I’m not in a position to do that and nor are many other people. The reality is a £30k loan to compete your CPL ME IR actually isn’t that bad, that’s the cost of a degree these days and I know which has the better earning capacity.

Chris the Robot
16th Sep 2023, 21:57
I would hope that places for any cadet programme are offered solely on ability, regardless of financial background. Quite simply, the passengers deserve nothing less. I've long criticised airlines which exclude people who can't pay £100k and I think it's fantastic that things seem to be changing, however someone with millionaire parents or who has had a successful career and earned enough to self-fund shouldn't be excluded if they are the strongest candidate based on ability.

Angle_of_Attack
17th Sep 2023, 04:35
I would hope that places for any cadet programme are offered solely on ability, regardless of financial background. Quite simply, the passengers deserve nothing less. I've long criticised airlines which exclude people who can't pay £100k and I think it's fantastic that things seem to be changing, however someone with millionaire parents or who has had a successful career and earned enough to self-fund shouldn't be excluded if they are the strongest candidate based on ability.

How are they being excluded? they can SELF-FUND and then join via NQPP / Whitetail.

rudestuff
17th Sep 2023, 04:59
Count yourself lucky you can get a loan to finish your training, I’m not in a position to do that and nor are many other people. The reality is a £30k loan to compete your CPL ME IR actually isn’t that bad, that’s the cost of a degree these days and I know which has the better earning capacity.
You just have to ask for it, that why they call it a loan. Anyone with a decent credit history can get £30k from the banks very easily. Especially if you apply for multiple smaller loans or cards the same day.

VariablePitchP
17th Sep 2023, 06:19
You just have to ask for it, that why they call it a loan. Anyone with a decent credit history can get £30k from the banks very easily. Especially if you apply for multiple smaller loans or cards the same day.

And if it was just £30K to train then we wouldn’t need cadet schemes.

The reality is to go from nothing to employment in the RHS of a commercial aircraft you’re, realistically, looking at close to triple that.

PPRuNeUser0195
17th Sep 2023, 06:38

Im aware of how a loan works. A £30k loan isn’t an option for some people, regardless of how you take it out.

rudestuff
17th Sep 2023, 15:00
Im aware of how a loan works. A £30k loan isn’t an option for some people, regardless of how you take it out.
Fair enough. We all make mistakes and it takes at least 6 years to clean up a dirty credit history, at least it did for me. There may be a few outliers, but for 99% of people who are condsidering modulat training debt is an option.

rudestuff
17th Sep 2023, 15:03
And if it was just £30K to train then we wouldn’t need cadet schemes.

The reality is to go from nothing to employment in the RHS of a commercial aircraft you’re, realistically, looking at close to triple that.
And this is why pilots need maths. There is no reason to be spending much more than £45k total on flight training, even at UK prices. £90k for modular? That would average £450 per flight hour!

VariablePitchP
17th Sep 2023, 15:05
And this is why pilots need maths. There is no reason to be spending much more than £45k total on flight training, even at UK prices. £90k for modular? That would average £450 per flight hour!

Type rating, accommodation, the plethora of acronym based courses that come at the end of training. That’s the reality, unless you get one of these golden tickets.

Planner01
18th Sep 2023, 09:18
Have you done recent research at all? The flying hours are only one portion of the costs.
£45k would just about cover CPL ME/IR and APS MCC if you can do both in minimum hours.

- Flying hours. £450+ per hour is the going rate in a twin engine. About £200 per hour PPL instruction.
- Exam costs
- Landing fees
- Fuel surcharges
- Examiner fees. The IR skills test with examiner and aircraft costs will be £1500 a go.
- Licence fees
- Equipment
- Medicals and any further investigation work needed
- ATPL Theory course fees

Right now in the UK from zero to CPL ME/IR APS MCC UPRT in minimum hours required you're looking at £70-80k. 5 years ago £45k was do able, especially pre-Brexit when you could run over to Poland. Even a PPL in a C152 will run £12k now all in with min hours.

Nino24
18th Sep 2023, 10:50
Hi Guys,

Did BA say straight after the online application process, a online test will be sent out?

fredddyfred
18th Sep 2023, 13:23
Hi Guys,

Did BA say straight after the online application process, a online test will be sent out?
It seems like the maths, checking test will be done during the online application from what I heard?
They're having another Q&A session at 4pm UK time today. Will tune in to find out if they specified anything else

icedchailatte
18th Sep 2023, 14:47
Hey guys I was wondering if weight can affect your initial class one?

PPRuNeUser0195
18th Sep 2023, 16:15
Hey guys I was wondering if weight can affect your initial class one?

It depends on your BMI, guidance is available here. I would always advocate getting at least a class 1 if you have an interest in flying commercially, it’ll highlight any potential issues early on and give you a chance to sort them.

https://www.caa.co.uk/media/pt5l3li3/obesity-fc.pdf

CaptN
18th Sep 2023, 16:36
A few things from today's Q&A session:

- ​​Srictly 6 GCSEs or equivalent qualifications, nothing higher will be accepted ie if you had 5 GCSEs with no maths but had maths A-Level you won't be considered.

- Contractual bond for seven years.

- Applications must be completed by the end of the 25th.

- If you don't already have a Class 1 medical BA will fund it if you are successful.

- No deferred places.

- They are planning to reopen the scheme again in March 2024.

- Number of openings: 70.

- The course is for a full ATPL and not an MPL.

icedchailatte
18th Sep 2023, 16:43
It depends on your BMI, guidance is available here. I would always advocate getting at least a class 1 if you have an interest in flying commercially, it’ll highlight any potential issues early on and give you a chance to sort them.

https://www.caa.co.uk/media/pt5l3li3/obesity-fc.pdf
Ok thankyou! Am i correct to say that if the BMI is lower than 32.5 you won’t have any issues?

gcn29
18th Sep 2023, 17:08
Anyone know when exactly it opens? Like it is midnight or 8am tomorrow?

PPRuNeUser0195
18th Sep 2023, 18:32
Ok thankyou! Am i correct to say that if the BMI is lower than 32.5 you won’t have any issues?

I would think so, but I’m not an AME so I can’t answer for definite. If you’re in any doubt then getting a class 1 will answer it for you.

Peter Ahonsi
18th Sep 2023, 19:08
Sorry but, how can you do A Level maths with no GCSE

QUOTE=CaptN;11504823]A few things from today's Q&A session:

- ​​Srictly 6 GCSEs or equivalent qualifications, nothing higher will be accepted ie if you had 5 GCSEs with no maths but had maths A-Level you won't be considered.

- If you don't already have a Class 1 medical BA will fund it if you are successful.

- No deferred places.

- The course is for a full ATPL and not an MPL.[/QUOTE]

PPRuNeUser0203
18th Sep 2023, 19:37
A few things from today's Q&A session:

- No deferred places.

Surely you don’t mean they’re excluding anyone with A levels or degree qualifications?

Peter Ahonsi
18th Sep 2023, 19:45
Surely you don’t mean they’re excluding anyone with A levels or degree qualifications?

I hope not 😩, because I’ve got a BSc and MSc. I wasn’t able to attend the Live today which is a shame, so many questions !

CaptN
19th Sep 2023, 03:58
No, not at all I'm sure they'll view applicants with A-Levels and degrees favourably! However, they said you must have 6 GCSEs, so if you have those in addition to further/higher qualifications you should be good to go :)

CaptN
19th Sep 2023, 04:07
I hope not 😩, because I’ve got a BSc and MSc. I wasn’t able to attend the Live today which is a shame, so many questions !
Apologies, I worded it quite badly in hindsight, degrees and A-Levels are fine, just that you must have 6 GCSEs in addition ie if you had 5 A*/9 grade GCSEs and a 1st in Aeronautical Engineering from Oxbridge you wouldn't meet the requirements as it's a strict on the 6 GCSEs (or accepted equivalents).

VariablePitchP
19th Sep 2023, 06:12
Apologies, I worded it quite badly in hindsight, degrees and A-Levels are fine, just that you must have 6 GCSEs in addition ie if you had 5 A*/9 grade GCSEs and a 1st in Aeronautical Engineering from Oxbridge you wouldn't meet the requirements as it's a strict on the 6 GCSEs (or accepted equivalents).

Clearly you wouldn’t have a 1st in Aero Eng from Oxbridge if you’d done your GCSEs that badly.

Or if somehow you did, you’re smart enough to fire out a GCSE in 5 minutes and apply next time.

CaptN
19th Sep 2023, 07:23

- No deferred places.

- The course is for a full ATPL and not an MPL.[/QUOTE]

You could self-study and take the exam as a private candidate... :)

Tinytimtim
19th Sep 2023, 08:01
Anyone know how long you stay on £34k for?

At 40 I could take the initial 2 year hit by paying mortgage/bills with loans/credit cards but if the salary was £34k for 4 years etc it would probably be a step too far unfortunately. I don’t live anywhere near London so would have to pay for accommodation there whilst working (relocating isn’t an option unfortunately)

Before any keyboard warriors come at me - I know how good of an opportunity this is and the eventual salaries etc but I’m being realistic and responsible with my finances/family

PPRuNeUser0203
19th Sep 2023, 08:47
So do we think 20,000+ people hitting refresh on the BA website looking for the "Apply Now" button to appear will break the internet today or what?

Nino24
19th Sep 2023, 08:53
So do we think 20,000+ people hitting refresh on the BA website looking for the "Apply Now" button to appear will break the internet today or what?

hahaha I think so! I would’ve thought the application opened after 00:00 or at 9am today. I reckon maybe end of today.

abhi.18
19th Sep 2023, 09:12
Regarding the salary and bond - isn't the usual starting salary for an FO closer to £50,000? Seven years on £34,000 living in/around London after 18 months with no job sounds miserable. Or is that figure just for year one?
Exactly my thought. I wasn't able to join the live session but I'm suprised no one asked this. Anyone have any news on this?

abhi.18
19th Sep 2023, 09:40
You may not have to repay for training but will be on significantly less pay than your colleagues... would make sense though as BA would make back the money spent on your training and then some.
But £34000 for 7 years? Thats not financially sustainable right?

Taco Duck
19th Sep 2023, 09:49
The BA website says a starting salary of £34,000, so it will go up year after year I imagine.

Planner01
19th Sep 2023, 09:50
Regarding the salary and bond - isn't the usual starting salary for an FO closer to £50,000? Seven years on £34,000 living in/around London after 18 months with no job sounds miserable. Or is that figure just for year one?
£34k in London and you'll be struggling.
Even £50k in London is not enough now. It will have you renting a room for £1000 a month in a flatshare. (Yes, that's what a room now costs with bills in Zone 3/4/5)
This is likely starting around mid £30s then progressing each year, but over X years the typical salary level minus a set amount to repay costs. This is usually over 3 or 4 years. On the lower salaries you'd want to be living outside London in a flatshare and heading in bound the the airport.

rudestuff
19th Sep 2023, 09:57
Think of it like you would a fixed rate mortgage - you'll be refinancing to a better deal anyway. With 200 hours you need 1200 more to get an ATPL. At which point you'll have far more options open to you. As long as your next job covers the bond payments then who cares? In reality the pay should go up fairly quickly. In my first job the cadet salary was 50%, 66%, 75% with 100% after 3 years.

Rolla123
19th Sep 2023, 10:16
Will they be asking the motivation question on the online application? Also has the application opened up yet?

Angle_of_Attack
19th Sep 2023, 10:21
If the application process is so rigorous and the cadets so high quality why not pay them a regular (100%) salary from day one?

Because you are not as experienced as a pilot applying DEFO. It's a bit absurd to expect to make the same salary as an experienced pilot, straight out of flight school.
You don't have the hours in comparison and the salary should reflect this. You start on a cadet salary and it goes up incrementally each year as your experience grows.

Planner01
19th Sep 2023, 10:25
Cost. 60 annually means £6 million per year spent on cadets which IAG isn't going to give for free.

Angle_of_Attack
19th Sep 2023, 10:26
Cost. 60 annually means £6 million per year spent on cadets which IAG isn't going to give for free.

70. And that figure is a drop in the bucket compared to annual profits.

Planner01
19th Sep 2023, 10:30

- No deferred places.

The course will get you a CPL with ATPL theory passed, often referred to as a frozen ATPL (CPL fATPL) as in your theory passes are frozen until you have enough hours to apply for an ATPL. An ATPL is what you can get once you have 1500 hours (some criteria about what those need to include) and is the licence you need to be Captain. Both MPL and CPL fATPL allow you to apply for an ATPL when you meet the criteria. The only difference is if you have an MPL, your ATPL will be restricted to multi pilot operations which can be removed with a few hours instruction in light aircraft.

Planner01
19th Sep 2023, 10:32
70. And that figure is a drop in the bucket compared to annual profits.
Doesn't matter. Businesses act like businesses. It's the same across every airline.

Angle_of_Attack
19th Sep 2023, 10:33
Understood but 34,000 won't leave people living in London with enough to pay rent, bills, feed themselves and actually get to work. Seems like they need to up their pay all round.

this is the pay minus allowances, which would bump up the total figure by about 10-15k annually, and each year the salary increases incrementally until you reach full pilot salary.

Planner01
19th Sep 2023, 10:34
Because you are not as experienced as a pilot applying DEFO. It's a bit absurd to expect to make the same salary as an experienced pilot, straight out of flight school.
You don't have the hours in comparison and the salary should reflect this. You start on a cadet salary and it goes up incrementally each year as your experience grows.
You will have the same hours as a direct entry FO fresh out of an integrated course. Pilot pay doesn't work on experience. It's based on seniority at the company. Spend a few years as a FO in another airline then move over to BA and you start at the bottom of the pay scale the same as someone fresh out of training.

Planner01
19th Sep 2023, 10:37
Because they are mainly targeting younger candidates with no dependents or mortgage, who can likely live with parents or happily live in a flatshare. £34k is poverty in London but you will be best living outside and driving inbound to the airport. Keep in mind that a room and bills in London is now around £1k a month.

Angle_of_Attack
19th Sep 2023, 10:42
You will have the same hours as a direct entry FO fresh out of an integrated course. Pilot pay doesn't work on experience. It's based on seniority at the company. Spend a few years as a FO in another airline then move over to BA and you start at the bottom of the pay scale the same as someone fresh out of training.

Have you looked at requirements for DEFO positions? those fresh out of an integrated course wouldn't meet the requirements, hence why graduates from the academy get offered a position on a CADET salary.

Planner01
19th Sep 2023, 10:47
Have you looked at requirements for DEFO positions? those fresh out of an integrated course wouldn't meet the requirements, hence why graduates from the academy get offered a position on a CADET salary.
Whitetail and Newly Qualified Pathway are basically direct entry but with the A320 type rating bonded and deducted over X years. The academy has a lower salary because you'll be repaying the bond which I guess will be a 25k deduction over 4 years. The salary for all these pathways will likely be direct entry FO salary minus a given bond repayment. Academy entry will have higher bond repayments and therefore more of a deduction form the base FO salary. I spent years running similar programmes in recruitment at an airline so fully understand how it works.

Angle_of_Attack
19th Sep 2023, 10:51
Whitetail and Newly Qualified Pathway are basically direct entry but with the A320 type rating bonded and deducted over X years. The academy has a lower salary because you'll be repaying the bond which I guess will be a 25k deduction over 4 years. The salary for all these pathways will likely be direct entry FO salary minus a given bond repayment. Academy entry will have higher bond repayments and therefore more of a deduction form the base FO salary. I spent years running similar programmes in recruitment at an airline so fully understand how it works.

That's not the same as DEFO. If it was, they wouldn't have needed to create the NQPP / Whitetail pathways.

Angle_of_Attack
19th Sep 2023, 10:55

Plus, everything I've said above is what they said on the Teams calls. They have explicitly said that the bond isn't being repaid from your salary, and explained what the cadet salary is, what allowances to expect, and how the salary will increase.
I'm not here to argue with you or insult your experience in recruitment, just simply repeating what has been said by the recruitment team. If you hold an opinion contrary to this, that's entirely your right.

Angle_of_Attack
19th Sep 2023, 10:56
So this is not fully funded as advertised, you're paying for the training you've received through a lowered salary?

No - recruitment team have explicitly said that it IS funded, and you're not repaying the costs through reduced salary.
The thing about these forums (and the internet in general) is that people will state their opinions as facts, and muddy the water.
You'll find out more details once the application opens anyway, so don't stress.

Angle_of_Attack
19th Sep 2023, 11:18
Applications are open!

CaptN
19th Sep 2023, 11:24
And it's LIIIIIVVVEEE!! *Martin Tyler voice Good luck to everyone applying, hopefully a few people reading this will have their ambitions of becoming a commercial pilot realised :)

I_like_flying
19th Sep 2023, 11:41
Is anyone else experiencing problems with the website? It seems to be really slow loading and submitting the questions.

belugaInBroughton
19th Sep 2023, 11:41
And it's LIIIIIVVVEEE!! *Martin Tyler voice Good luck to everyone applying, hopefully a few people reading this will have their ambitions of becoming a commercial pilot realised :)
Thats the dream!
Goodluck to all

maverick20
19th Sep 2023, 11:42
Anyone else finding the site is crashing?

avk
19th Sep 2023, 12:52
Gotta be 18 by March 2024 which is very misleading as the FAQs on the Skyborne says that there will be 3 additional course starts throughout 2024 and I would be 18 by then. Also says that you can be 17 to apply on the BA website. Real bummer but there is hopefully next year.
Also told by a source they are expecting 50k applications and they're just gonna reject everyone who is still in full time education.

future_pilot_di
19th Sep 2023, 14:52
Is the page not loading for anyone else?

I_like_flying
19th Sep 2023, 14:54
Is the page not loading for anyone else? It's being really slow for me, I have to wait at least five minutes between stages for the page to load.

Lewil2
19th Sep 2023, 15:01
Is the page not loading for anyone else? I'm currently travelling out in the US so have not been able to access the page. Hoping they’ve not closed it by the time I’m back on Saturday!

maverick20
19th Sep 2023, 15:08

I've been trying since 12:30, think everyone's on it

I_like_flying
19th Sep 2023, 16:06
Just spent 5 hours applying and got a rejection e-mail. Good luck to those applying!

Nino24
19th Sep 2023, 17:17

was the rejection email after the online tests?

belugaInBroughton
19th Sep 2023, 17:37
Just spent 5 hours applying and got a rejection e-mail. Good luck to those applying!
That’s tough, did you get a chance to do the tests?
Theres always March 2024 by the way.
chin up

FlyingScotsman01
19th Sep 2023, 17:56
That was the quickest rejection ever! haha! Almost immediately after submitting. Saw the email after submitting and initially assumed it was just confirmation the tests were completed but no - rejection. Not sure what happened I thought the tests went okay and my background is suitable. Usually do okay on these kinds of applications. Aw well not to be this time.

Sidbob
19th Sep 2023, 18:34
Just had the experience of 3-4hours there about to get through the application. Most of the delay was it moving from one page to the next. Not sure if it’s my internet connection but advice is make sure yours is strong (mine usually is but it’s had a wobble today) I found the maths test count down was still going down when it was struggling to load the next question.

Angle_of_Attack
19th Sep 2023, 19:02
The online tests are cascading tests, meaning you can only progress to the next one if you've passed the previous one. I know someone who received a rejection email within minutes of not passing the maths test.
Take your time and practice, don't rush to complete the application! You don't win any prizes for finishing first.
Good luck everyone!

Kbye123
19th Sep 2023, 19:30
Just did the maths test and was cut immediately after. Try again next time I guess :/

Best of luck to all who apply!

Erjon Gaxha
19th Sep 2023, 19:57
Hello guys, on the situated judgment test (the first test after you submit your application), out of the 20 or so questions 3 of those questions were factual questions, meaning there’s a definite right or wrong answer. What I think they do for those questions is put a time limit so people don’t search the answers on the internet and if you exceed there time limit, that would mean you failed that test. Even though they say that the SJ test is time limited I don’t believe it!

PandaBabyPanda
19th Sep 2023, 20:04
Hi guys. I am an italian guy who noticed this amazing opportunity offered by BA just a few days ago. Unfortunately, I am italian and I cannot afford to live in London for more than six months, therefore I was wondering if I still have zero possibilities to enter the academy. Like TUI, I thought BA would pay for accomodation, but it seems it doesn't... especially for non-UK-citizens. My dream just got destroyed for the third time.

FSXBird
19th Sep 2023, 20:10
Anyone passed all the tests? I’m waiting on my result from the error checking test 🙃

abhi.18
19th Sep 2023, 21:24
The online tests are cascading tests, meaning you can only progress to the next one if you've passed the previous one. I know someone who received a rejection email within minutes of not passing the maths test.
Take your time and practice, don't rush to complete the application! You don't win any prizes for finishing first.
Good luck everyone!
how hard was the maths test?

FSXBird
19th Sep 2023, 21:26
how hard was the maths test?
Pretty easy basic high school math - gcse level

Wrightliam236
19th Sep 2023, 21:36
I have just competed the maths test every time I clocked next it wouldn’t load the next question for 5 seconds only managed to complete 18 questions out of the 25. U haven’t received any email saying I’ve been unsuccessful and it has been 30 minutes since I timed out the session. Wondering if I should send an email? Any thoughts on what happening?

FSXBird
19th Sep 2023, 22:41
I have just competed the maths test every time I clocked next it wouldn’t load the next question for 5 seconds only managed to complete 18 questions out of the 25. U haven’t received any email saying I’ve been unsuccessful and it has been 30 minutes since I timed out the session. Wondering if I should send an email? Any thoughts on what happening?
I don’t think I even got to 18 and still passed. You should be fine, unless you answered the 18 questions badly. Took about 45 mins for my congrats email after the maths.

3seatmaniac
19th Sep 2023, 22:50
Hi guys. I am an italian guy who noticed this amazing opportunity offered by BA just a few days ago. Unfortunately, I am italian and I cannot afford to live in London for more than six months, therefore I was wondering if I still have zero possibilities to enter the academy. Like TUI, I thought BA would pay for accomodation, but it seems it doesn't... especially for non-UK-citizens. My dream just got destroyed for the third time.

Hello. With reference to the BA website itself, BA will cover the cost of your accommodation, your food, and also will pay you a subsistence allowance (as well as your training and medical costs of course) for the duration of the course. Your dream is still alive!

Further, you also have the ability to express a preferred flight school during your application, so it is possible that you could end up completing your training with FTE Jerez in Spain before moving to be based in the UK once qualified. And, of course, the ‘fully funded’ aspect applies whether you end up training with Skyborne or FTE Jerez.

maverick20
20th Sep 2023, 00:13
When you submit your application is there a timescale for when to sit the tests? I've been up all night on the application and also due to internet issues and don't fancy sitting it in the morning? So shall I wait a little to submit the application?

nexus6
20th Sep 2023, 01:44
Hi all,

has anyone got to the essay part yet?

what is the question?

PPRuNeUser0195
20th Sep 2023, 07:26
Hi all,

has anyone got to the essay part yet?

what is the question?

There hasn’t been one, and I wasn’t aware of one. That being said everyone here is ultimately competing for very few places so posting the questions etc here is going to give others an unfair advantage.

Nino24
20th Sep 2023, 07:58
Anyone passed all the tests? I’m waiting on my result from the error checking test 🙃

hey yes, I’ve completed all the tests i’m just waiting on the next process!

FSXBird
20th Sep 2023, 08:01
oh brilliant. So you haven’t heard anything either after completing the checking test? Maybe now they’re screening CV’s etc?

I thought that the tests were pretty simple in comparison to the applicants they will get. But then again British airways have said it’s going to be mostly attitude and personality over technicality

Ashton88
20th Sep 2023, 08:23
Hi everyone,
I went to high school in Australia but am a UK citizen and living in the UK. Can anyone advise whether I can submit my Australian high school results or would I need to get them converted to GCSE equivalent somehow?
Wish you all good luck in the application, cheers.

toofytoofy
20th Sep 2023, 08:44

Can I ask you please, how many questions in Math test please? and which source or website that you used for practicing Math test?

Many thanks and Good Luck for you.

Nino24
20th Sep 2023, 09:09
Can I ask you please, how many questions in Math test please? and which source or website that you used for practicing Math test?

maths was 25 questions 17 mins - GCSE level (found it a bit hard) did maths 4/5 years ago.

checking test was okay, can’t revise much for it

rudestuff
20th Sep 2023, 09:09

There are 3×6+(4-2)*2 questions in the maths test.

VienneseFoxSince1853
20th Sep 2023, 09:45
Does anyone know what to do if GCSE certifications have been lost? Part of the application requires proof of GCSE's. Any advice would be appreciated.

Alanga1991
20th Sep 2023, 09:46
hi mate how many Qs did u answer in the test. i timed out as the website was slow yesterday. probs should have waited till today

Nino24
20th Sep 2023, 09:47
hi mate how many Qs did u answer in the test. i timed out as the website was slow yesterday. probs should have waited till today

hi mate I think I answered around 21, I did the test quite late night so there wasn’t much problems as less people was on the site!

Alanga1991
20th Sep 2023, 09:51
hi mate I think I answered around 21, I did the test quite late night so there wasn’t much problems as less people was on the site!

awesome pal and how many Qs were in the checking test? never got that far!

Nino24
20th Sep 2023, 09:52
awesome pal and how many Qs were in the checking test? never got that far!

honestly can’t remember I think around 13

kirk170
20th Sep 2023, 09:56
Hi guys, how did you receive the links for the different tests? I submitted my application yesterday at around 3pm and I still haven't received them (nor a rejection email).

Were the links emailed to you or accessed via the BA application portal?

PPRuNeUser0203
20th Sep 2023, 10:00
And now, for those that have completed the checking test, the anxious wait for the next email begins.

I have to say, the tests are incredibly well designed given what BA are looking for. A sign of things to come for those of us lucky enough to make it to the next stages.

BullEv
20th Sep 2023, 10:50
Just wondering if there is an option to save your application as you go along the process, or does it all have to be done in one go?

Lauda
20th Sep 2023, 11:07
Is the 'Checking Test' just error checking as you've highlighted or is it more verbal reasoning (i.e read a passage and answer true/false). Good luck dude!

Nino24
20th Sep 2023, 11:56
Guys when you go on your portal does your application say ‘submitted’ or ‘progress’ mine says submitted.

gcn29
20th Sep 2023, 12:06
Guys when you go on your portal does your application say ‘submitted’ or ‘progress’ mine says submitted.

Mine says submitted 1, in progress 0

gcn29
20th Sep 2023, 12:10
Does anyone know what to do if GCSE certifications have been lost? Part of the application requires proof of GCSE's. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi, if you lost it you can ask for a statement of results. Which is essentially the same. Just search up you exam boards and they should issue you one. It might take a while, so I'd explain your situation too.

Taco Duck
20th Sep 2023, 12:33
Straight rejection after the judgement test for me! Not sure what went wrong as I normally do well on those tests, and I know I got all the questions with a definite answer correct. Oh well!

Alanga1991
20th Sep 2023, 12:46

did u submit your gcse results as part of the application in the Supporting Documents section?

Nino24
20th Sep 2023, 12:50
did u submit your gcse results as part of the application in the Supporting Documents section?

yes I did

Hgaruba21
20th Sep 2023, 12:53
Hi guys, how did you receive the links for the different tests? I submitted my application yesterday at around 3pm and I still haven't received them (nor a rejection email).

Were the links emailed to you or accessed via the BA application portal?
Yeah same thing is happening to me, I submitted at 6pm last night and I have not received anything apart from my application has been received.

FSXBird
20th Sep 2023, 13:38
yes I did
sorry mate send that DM again my inbox was full

icedchailatte
20th Sep 2023, 14:53
hey guys i haven’t applied yet because i knew the website would be slow/crash. Is this still the case or is it running smoothly?

Dwpdwpdwp
20th Sep 2023, 15:25
Hello all,

I won't be applying for this because of the GCSE requirements, which I don't meet. Before you ask I didn't have the best start in life. I have since then gained a first class engineering degree from a Russel group university, but that isn't acceptable to BA. Before anyone suggests I resit double science, have a word with yourself first.

I assume they've put it in to filter out applications. Which is sensible, given the expected volumes, however I suspect a lot of good candidates will miss out on this opportunity because of that.

Good luck to everyone else in this process. It's an excellent opportunity that will change some life's for the better. Sadly not mine.

Toots80
20th Sep 2023, 15:27
I have literally just joined the forum to locate this answer. I am 43 years of age, Police officer of 16 years and currently resitting GCSE Physics and also taking the equivalent exams of Functional Skills level 2 in Maths and English, my English exam being next Friday. This is with a view to have all 3 qualifications completed by this time next year. For most airlines, I believe grade 4 is accepted. However, I have just seen BA only accept grade 5, which is still a PASS at C grade, but the Functional Skills Level 2 highest grade achievable is 4. Do you think there would be any movement at all in that, given my life experience or for example if I applied to BA I would have to resit the highest paper? :) Thanks

PPRuNeUser0203
20th Sep 2023, 15:39
hey guys i haven’t applied yet because i knew the website would be slow/crash. Is this still the case or is it running smoothly?

Seemed fine for me today but it was mid-morning.

CaptSackJarrow
20th Sep 2023, 15:46
Same here, pretty deflating given I’m at the ATPL stage. Questioning if I can even be a pilot if I can’t get through the first round.

desertghost
20th Sep 2023, 17:04
Same here, pretty deflating given I’m at the ATPL stage. Questioning if I can even be a pilot if I can’t get through the first round.
It's all a lottery, a quick and easy way to cut the number of applicants - all the graduate schemes work in a similar way, I wouldn't get downhearted as you'll know from your ppl that you have the ability to fly a plane with confidence and that's what really matters.

Nino24
20th Sep 2023, 17:08
I have literally just joined the forum to locate this answer. I am 43 years of age, Police officer of 16 years and currently resitting GCSE Physics and also taking the equivalent exams of Functional Skills level 2 in Maths and English, my English exam being next Friday. This is with a view to have all 3 qualifications completed by this time next year. For most airlines, I believe grade 4 is accepted. However, I have just seen BA only accept grade 5, which is still a PASS at C grade, but the Functional Skills Level 2 highest grade achievable is 4. Do you think there would be any movement at all in that, given my life experience or for example if I applied to BA I would have to resit the highest paper? :) Thanks

level 2 functional skills for Maths is equivalent to a grade C

Angle_of_Attack
20th Sep 2023, 17:10

They have mentioned that it needs to be Grade 5 and that due to the high number of applicants they need to be rigid with their requirements.

Angle_of_Attack
20th Sep 2023, 17:13
It's all a lottery, a quick and easy way to cut the number of applicants - all the graduate schemes work in a similar way, I wouldn't get downhearted as you'll know from your ppl that you have the ability to fly a plane with confidence and that's what really matters.

Very well said - these things are definitely not a marker of your ability!

CaptSackJarrow
20th Sep 2023, 17:31

Thanks mate, needed to hear this.
All the bst

toofytoofy
20th Sep 2023, 18:18
Any one has any idea, Is it OK to use the Calculator in Math test or not please?
And Are there any motivational questions during filling the applications?

Kauley Hatton
20th Sep 2023, 18:29

i also failed on even the SJE. Im a PPL with 180 hours, doing my ATPL theory (haven’t sat exams) and a train driver so don't worry pal. To get rid of people from a multiple choice question test, which answer choice are all very similar, will not define you as a pilot. Its just a mechanism to get rid of thousands of applicants, a lottery. Go and get your licence, and apply for their competitor virgin Atlantic like i will 🤭 Chin up, carry on. you’ll be fine. If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again 👍

Tofu9623
20th Sep 2023, 19:10
just done the maths test a few hours ago, had nothing back. anyone in the same boat?

PPRuNeUser0195
20th Sep 2023, 19:20
Any one has any idea, Is it OK to use the Calculator in Math test or not please?
And Are there any motivational questions during filling the applications?

Yes and yes, I would recommend just applying and go from there. There is nothing that requires loads if prep and revision at this stage.

abhi.18
20th Sep 2023, 20:14
Too soon to ask, but does anyone know what the timeline is for BA to reach out to the successful candidates? Is it a month from now, or sooner, or any dates that were mentioned?

PPRuNeUser0195
20th Sep 2023, 20:20
Too soon to ask, but does anyone know what the timeline is for BA to reach out to the successful candidates? Is it a month from now, or sooner, or any dates that were mentioned?

I don’t think they said but I’d guess a few weeks. Can’t see them reviewing anything until they close applications and from there it would take a week or so I’d have thought.

Nino24
20th Sep 2023, 20:25
I don’t think they said but I’d guess a few weeks. Can’t see them reviewing anything until they close applications and from there it would take a week or so I’d have thought.

I was told flight school selection assessment starts in early October!