View Full Version : Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

fredddyfred
20th Sep 2023, 20:29
Last webinar, they said the flight school assessment and interview would happen in mid-October ~ the first week of November

icedchailatte
20th Sep 2023, 21:09
Hey guys. So for the online assessments it says i have until the 25th. Is this definite or could this be cut off if the applications close early? Thanks

VariablePitchP
20th Sep 2023, 21:47
Hello all,

I won't be applying for this because of the GCSE requirements, which I don't meet. Before you ask I didn't have the best start in life. I have since then gained a first class engineering degree from a Russel group university, but that isn't acceptable to BA. Before anyone suggests I resit double science, have a word with yourself first.

I assume they've put it in to filter out applications. Which is sensible, given the expected volumes, however I suspect a lot of good candidates will miss out on this opportunity because of that.

Good luck to everyone else in this process. It's an excellent opportunity that will change some life's for the better. Sadly not mine.

Remove the chip from your shoulder and resit double science. You’ll breeze it and can apply next time round. If you wanted it badly enough you’d do it. If you’re not willing to then your lack of motivation means you’d be unlikely to succeed anyway.

pilot_dude
21st Sep 2023, 04:19
Does a rejection happen straight away (within minutes or a few hours even) if you do not pass the maths test? I think I may have flunked mine. I’ve still yet to hear though.

It could be I haven’t done maths in quite a few years. However, I found that test brutal and as if they’re looking for engineers or astronauts to fly their aircraft!

I really hope they take an applicant’s academic and work background into consideration, rather than the results of a numeracy test. What is a passing score on that test anyways?

I probably only got through more than 10 questions and had to guess some of them as the clock was ticking,

PPRuNeUser0203
21st Sep 2023, 05:50
Does a rejection happen straight away (within minutes or a few hours even) if you do not pass the maths test? I think I may have flunked mine. I’ve still yet to hear though.

It could be I haven’t done maths in quite a few years. However, I found that test brutal and as if they’re looking for engineers or astronauts to fly their aircraft!

I really hope they take an applicant’s academic and work background into consideration, rather than the results of a numeracy test. What is a passing score on that test anyways?

I probably only got through more than 10 questions and had to guess some of them as the clock was ticking,

I think people got a rejection email straight away if they didn’t pass the judgement or maths test.

pilot_dude
21st Sep 2023, 06:22
I think people got a rejection email straight away if they didn’t pass the judgement or maths test.

It also seems that those have passed the maths and judgement tests, received the checking test straight away.

So, now I am really overthinking… no news is good news. But, I would like to get the checking test done the very least!

PPRuNeUser0195
21st Sep 2023, 06:35

I’ll be honest a lot of the maths questions were extremely relevant to flying. Particularly the fuel and speed calculations. If you found the maths really tough then I’d certainly do a lot of revision on it.

AJ_Daubz
21st Sep 2023, 07:21
Good luck to everyone!
Unfortunately I failed on the maths test which was quite disheartening. I haven't done any maths for quite a few years, but didn't find the questions too bad and was fairly confident in about 80% of my answers. I ran out of time on the last 3 questions and received a rejection email within 30 seconds of submitting the test.
Hopefully get a better result next time around!

rudestuff
21st Sep 2023, 07:31
you'll know from your ppl that you have the ability to fly a plane with confidence and that's what really matters.
And in the pilot game it's your ability to be determined and never give up that matters. Both in the cockpit and getting there.

rudestuff
21st Sep 2023, 07:35
Remove the chip from your shoulder and resit double science. You’ll breeze it and can apply next time round. If you wanted it badly enough you’d do it. If you’re not willing to then your lack of motivation means you’d be unlikely to succeed anyway.
One of the most inspiring things I saw at all was a girl who wanted to be a doctor. The careers adviser had screwed her and she ended up with very good A levels in the wrong subjects. She stayed in school and got the right ones. That's when I realised that if you have determination you'll succeed.

Toots80
21st Sep 2023, 08:24
They have mentioned that it needs to be Grade 5 and that due to the high number of applicants they need to be rigid with their requirements.

Yep I figured as much, just seeking clarification, thanks :) I'll aim to box these exams off first then and register for the full GCSE's next ..:ooh::uhoh:

icedchailatte
21st Sep 2023, 09:58
So am I right in saying if you don’t answer all the questions you automatically fail ?

PPRuNeUser0195
21st Sep 2023, 10:18
So am I right in saying if you don’t answer all the questions you automatically fail ?

The only people who know the criteria are the people who put it all together. Anyone here really is just guessing.

daydream222
21st Sep 2023, 10:25
What type of math test is it, Cut-e, Aon etc.? I am seeking any place to practice...

BigMills
21st Sep 2023, 10:29
Failed on the Maths...it was never my strong suit but rejection at such an early stage is such a huge kick in testicles. Oh well back to pay as you go modular:ouch:

Nino24
21st Sep 2023, 10:57
People who have passed the tests, I would thought they start sending some online digital interviews for us to do.

PPRuNeUser0203
21st Sep 2023, 11:09
People who have passed the tests, I would thought they start sending some online digital interviews for us to do.

Me too. I’m finding the wait after completing the checking test rather nerve wracking!

PPRuNeUser0195
21st Sep 2023, 11:25

I doubt it. They will review applications first. They need to check CV, answer to the question, GCSE certificates. No point in them wasting time watching interviews if you don’t meet the criteria.

CaptSackJarrow
21st Sep 2023, 12:30
i also failed on even the SJE. Im a PPL with 180 hours, doing my ATPL theory (haven’t sat exams) and a train driver so don't worry pal. To get rid of people from a multiple choice question test, which answer choice are all very similar, will not define you as a pilot. It’s just a mechanism to get rid of thousands of applicants, a lottery. Go and get your licence, and apply for their competitor virgin Atlantic like i will 🤭 Chin up, carry on. you’ll be fine. If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again 👍

Thanks mate really nice advice. Look forward to seeing you in the sky! Best of luck

CaptSackJarrow
21st Sep 2023, 12:34
And in the pilot game it's your ability to be determined and never give up that matters. Both in the cockpit and getting there.

Thanks rudestuff keep my head up and keep pushing, fail forward. All the best mate

pilotcarmel
21st Sep 2023, 12:35
Hey everyone, I applied on the 19th in the evening. I haven’t yet received any tests or feedback. I am an international citizen but have enquired beforehand about eligibility and received a response that I am welcome to apply as they encourage diversities. I have good GCSE marks and a PPL as well.
Anyone kindly suggest prep material for tests please? THANKS

RingleRider
21st Sep 2023, 12:36
So I have noticed one of the requirements is 12 months left valid on your passport (at the time of assessment?) I have ~11 months, with the original intention of renewing it in January. Happy to apply for a renewal now if it means meeting this requirement, however unsure when this "Time of assessment" is?

Angle_of_Attack
21st Sep 2023, 16:22

Yep I figured as much, just seeking clarification, thanks :) I'll aim to box these exams off first then and register for the full GCSE's next ..:ooh::uhoh:

Sorry I didn't have better news for you. Wish you the best of luck with completing the GCSEs and I hope you make it onto the next intake you apply for!!

21st Sep 2023, 17:12
What if gcse certificates were lost can they still do background check and confirm? Also was maths test multiple choice?

gfjc16
21st Sep 2023, 18:07
i’ve lost my gcse certificates, i only have access to my a levels certificates (english one of them), will this be a problem when uploding the docs? or should i be panic calling my old gcse exam board lol

Michy98
21st Sep 2023, 20:12
DM sent
Hi guys,did anyone done the math test ?
what should I study for the 25 questions ?

Michy98
21st Sep 2023, 20:14
Can anyone help me please ?
what is the math test about ?
what should I study ?
thanks in advice

22nd Sep 2023, 00:31
Yh maths is multiple choice. Definetly will need a calculator and get used to using it efficiently. Pages loaded slow so ran out of time. Even the stupid next button took time to load on some questions. Emailed them about it see what happens. Definitely need to revise the speed equation and fuel calculations like gallons if you're going to do the maths test. If you found it hard don't feel bad about it. It's the time that puts pressure more than anything. Plus you have to factor in reading time as well as you don't want to misread the question.

PPRuNeUser0195
22nd Sep 2023, 06:42
I’ve said before and will say again. Telling people the tests gives them an unfair advantage and like it or not everyone here is competing for a few places. It’s fairly basic GCSE level stuff so just do the tests, you shouldn’t really need to revise for them.

PPRuNeUser0195
22nd Sep 2023, 06:43
i’ve lost my gcse certificates, i only have access to my a levels certificates (english one of them), will this be a problem when uploding the docs? or should i be panic calling my old gcse exam board lol

You need to upload the GCSE certificates so I would try and track them down quickly.

Angle_of_Attack
22nd Sep 2023, 10:53
Just been rejected. I completed the initial tests, situational judgement, maths and the reactions time test. I don't understand what else I can do, I've applied for 7 of these now (Aer Lingus 2019, 2023, Tui, Bristow etc) and haven't made it past round 1. Without risk of sounding like I am a sore loser I've been in the air cadets, flown in the University Air Squadron, got a Physics degree, worked for an aerospace company, have 24 hours PPL flying and now work in the city (to fund the potential training), what else can I do. They never give feedback.
The D&I is swinging dangerously in the opposite direction to the point where white males are being discriminated against - I see some of the cadets who get onto these courses with a small handful of hours (I even heard one person left the sponsored aer lingus course early). How an earth can they demonstrate more commitment than I have. Yes I am a bad loser but if I could just be told where I am going wrong it would help me so much.

It seems like the answer to your question is in your comment.

PPRuNeUser0195
22nd Sep 2023, 11:01
Just been rejected. I completed the initial tests, situational judgement, maths and the reactions time test. I don't understand what else I can do, I've applied for 7 of these now (Aer Lingus 2019, 2023, Tui, Bristow etc) and haven't made it past round 1. Without risk of sounding like I am a sore loser I've been in the air cadets, flown in the University Air Squadron, got a Physics degree, worked for an aerospace company, have 24 hours PPL flying and now work in the city (to fund the potential training), what else can I do. They never give feedback.
The D&I is swinging dangerously in the opposite direction to the point where white males are being discriminated against - I see some of the cadets who get onto these courses with a small handful of hours (I even heard one person left the sponsored aer lingus course early). How an earth can they demonstrate more commitment than I have. Yes I am a bad loser but if I could just be told where I am going wrong it would help me so much.

You need to find a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself. The attitude you have displayed in this post is enough of a reason to reject you.

daydream22
22nd Sep 2023, 11:10
Rejection at SJ stage.
Have anyone passed tests yesterday afternoon/this morning?
I have a strong suspicion that they 'switched off' passing people because they have too many applications already. However that could be just me seeking pity for my fail...

PPRuNeUser0195
22nd Sep 2023, 12:56
He has a point though, assuming two people have passed the initial tests how is it fair that the less qualified and less experienced candidate goes through? You should at least interview both before rejecting the more highly qualified. I also don't understand why they ask about gender, religion or race, none of that should matter if selection is to be purely objective. Anyway the world never has been fair, better to tread your own path if not being recognised.

Because a CV was also uploaded as well as there being a question to take into consideration. Maybe he didn’t pass all the tests, or others got a higher grade? If his CV comes across in the way he spoke on here with a sense of entitlement then BA will see right through that.

Those questions are asked but not taken into account in selection. Otherwise it would be illegal.

22nd Sep 2023, 12:59
I’ve said before and will say again. Telling people the tests gives them an unfair advantage and like it or not everyone here is competing for a few places. It’s fairly basic GCSE level stuff so just do the tests, you shouldn’t really need to revise for them.
I think if you dont revise for any of it you certainly won't pass.... revise your maths peeps.

PPRuNeUser0195
22nd Sep 2023, 13:05
Agree but then why ask those questions if they're not being taken into account?

The point is they failed on the tests and didn’t get through? They have a selection criteria that wasn’t met, plain and simple. Just because someone has a degree in physics and was part of the UAS doesn’t make them the right person for the job. A sense of entitlement like that won’t get them far - and isn’t someone I would want to share a flight deck with.

That question will become relevant and likely used to filter down those who passed the tests.

Angle_of_Attack
22nd Sep 2023, 13:13
He has a point though, assuming two people have passed the initial tests how is it fair that the less qualified and less experienced candidate goes through? You should at least interview both before rejecting the more highly qualified. I also don't understand why they ask about gender, religion or race, none of that should matter if selection is to be purely objective. Anyway the world never has been fair, better to tread your own path if not being recognised.

Many people fail these tests multiple times before they make it - and they also don't receive any feedback. The difference? They had self-awareness and the dedication to figure out where to improve and do better instead of expecting it handed to them on a silver platter.
The tests check for mandatory competencies that are required to do the job successfully. If you do not naturally have the character for it, and choose to behave in an entitled manner and blame the company or others, and play the race / diversity card instead of owning your weaknesses and actively working on them, then no amount of experience or degrees will help you pass.

Angle_of_Attack
22nd Sep 2023, 13:19
If you read the fine print you'll note that the equality and diversity details were used for statistical purposes and play no role in the selection process.

beepbeeppullup
22nd Sep 2023, 13:31
Did anybody else get an email reinviting them to take the checking test today?

jimbowingo
22nd Sep 2023, 14:15
Because a CV was also uploaded as well as there being a question to take into consideration. Maybe he didn’t pass all the tests, or others got a higher grade? If his CV comes across in the way he spoke on here with a sense of entitlement then BA will see right through that.

Those questions are asked but not taken into account in selection. Otherwise it would be illegal.

I unfortunately didn’t get through and received my rejection email within 10 seconds of completing the last test. This does make me think that my CV, qualifications/skill set wasn’t even reviewed which is such a shame as I feel if it was I’d be in with a chance! But I’m sure we all feel that way, and presumably somewhere I failed, or didn’t meet the minimum on the tests.

Thesootybear123
22nd Sep 2023, 15:12
For those that got through the maths to the next test, was it instant?

Alanga1991
22nd Sep 2023, 15:50
It seems like the answer to your question is in your comment.
No offense pal but you sound pretty entitled. No one owes any of us anything. A majority of this is luck. And sometimes some skill. You didn't make it past the initial screening tests. Many people didn't. And if you're complaining about D&I, have a look at TUI's 2023 line-up of successful cadets and that should tell you all you need to know about D&I just being a buzzword for these airlines. It's on their LinkedIn page, and they rightly received some stick for it. Admittedly not enough as that line-up screams of anything but D&I. The last thing black/brown people need is people thinking we were only chosen cos of some D&I nonsense, and not because we performed well. Also I'll give you a little clue into these sorts of processes. No human looks at your application in the 1st stages, hence why it's test heavy. Pretty much all of it is automated until you get to interview stages, and even the video interviews are also automated.

Alanga1991
22nd Sep 2023, 15:56
Many people fail these tests multiple times before they make it - and they also don't receive any feedback. The difference? They had self-awareness and the dedication to figure out where to improve and do better instead of expecting it handed to them on a silver platter.
The tests check for mandatory competencies that are required to do the job successfully. If you do not naturally have the character for it, and choose to behave in an entitled manner and blame the company or others, and play the race / diversity card instead of owning your weaknesses and actively working on them, then no amount of experience or degrees will help you pass.

Really wish we could like comments on here! You and Aj2017 have hit the nail right on the head. How can you talk about being on the UAS making you a great fit when the requirements ask for GCSEs? If anything you are grossly overqualified considering your life experience and qualifications. You also "work in the city" so clearly you can afford it. Thank God self-awareness isn't a pilot competency

FSXBird
22nd Sep 2023, 16:02
No offense pal but you sound pretty entitled. No one owes any of us anything. A majority of this is luck. And sometimes some skill. You didn't make it past the initial screening tests. Many people didn't. And if you're complaining about D&I, have a look at TUI's 2023 line-up of successful cadets and that should tell you all you need to know about D&I just being a buzzword for these airlines. It's on their LinkedIn page, and they rightly received some stick for it. Admittedly not enough as that line-up screams of anything but D&I. The last thing black/brown people need is people thinking we were only chosen cos of some D&I nonsense, and not because we performed well. Also I'll give you a little clue into these sorts of processes. No human looks at your application in the 1st stages, hence why it's test heavy. Pretty much all of it is automated until you get to interview stages, and even the video interviews are also automated.

Incredibly well said. Hopefully BA Recruiters monitor these forums

Lukey31051999
22nd Sep 2023, 16:11
Upon reflection, my comment was poorly worded, and yes did come across as spoilt. I suppose my point is where do I improve - I accept better candiates get in and I don't doubt that. But I think from the volume of times I've applied, money I have invested into a PPL, work experiences, I would like to know what I am lacking (and yes I am working on self-awareness). However, I do believe often that d&i can swing too much in one direction, surely pilots should be chosen on merit? I am all for D&I of course but the recent RAF scandal about 'too many useless white male pilots' shone light ono this issue.

Lukey31051999
22nd Sep 2023, 16:19
Alanga 1991 you have misread my original comment. Of course, the right people are chosen, I don't doubt that. My frustration is my unawareness of where I am going wrong. I have invested a lot of funds to pay for things like a PPL etc. Also who are you to say I have some high paying job in the city, its a turn of phrase...

I fully support D&I, but with the RAF's recent scandal of recruiting 'too many useless white males' you can see my point about the issue of having it promoted too much - it should be based on merit with backgrounds taken into consideration.

Nino24
22nd Sep 2023, 16:20
Anyone else got an email for an online interview!

Clearmyside
22nd Sep 2023, 16:23
Anyone else got an email for an online interview!
Nice one mate! Nothing yet..

stnly
22nd Sep 2023, 16:47
Also got my invite to the video interview. I'm really grateful for the speedy process so far.

Best of luck everyone! :ok:

jimbowingo
22nd Sep 2023, 17:22
Congrats guys! Sadly I didn't get to the next stage.... I'm pretty sure I aced the first test and the maths, I only just got through all of the tables on the third test though. I fear that was my downfall... Out of interest, how far / many questions did you manage to answer on the third test? Thanks!

RexBanner
22nd Sep 2023, 17:37
I’ll be honest a lot of the maths questions were extremely relevant to flying. Particularly the fuel and speed calculations. If you found the maths really tough then I’d certainly do a lot of revision on it.

Questions on the test are absolutely irrelevant to flying. You need basic addition and subtraction skills for working out fuel bottom lines and three and five times tables for descent profiles and that’s about it. I’ve got as far as the right hand seat of an A380 for the company in question with the above maths skills. Absolute nonsense to suggest that working out the area of a triangle is in any way relevant to the job. Yes I have seen the tests.

desertghost
22nd Sep 2023, 17:43
Questions on the test are absolutely irrelevant to flying. You need basic addition and subtraction skills for working out fuel bottom lines and three and five times tables for descent profiles and that’s about it. I’ve got as far as the right hand seat of an A380 for the company in question with the above maths skills. Absolute nonsense to suggest that working out the area of a triangle is in any way relevant to the job. Yes I have seen the tests.
So primary school maths then? Do you find the job challenging?

RexBanner
22nd Sep 2023, 17:45
So primary school maths then? Do you find the job challenging?

Do you find yourself to be condescending? Yes it can be challenging but it’s not from doing mental gymnastics with maths. The actual maths used on the line is very basic, any pilot will tell you that.

desertghost
22nd Sep 2023, 17:48
do you find yourself to be condescending?
No just curious.

PPRuNeUser0195
22nd Sep 2023, 17:54

Yes because computers do a lot of the maths for you for things such as fuel burns and speeds. As someone who’s sat in the right hand seat then you’ll agree that you need to be able to do a lot of the maths in those questions in order to be able to get through the ATPL theory? And for what it’s worth I agree the angles in a triangle isn’t relevant, I’m referring mainly to the speed / fuel burn type calculations.

RexBanner
22nd Sep 2023, 18:02
Yes because computers do a lot of the maths for you for things such as fuel burns and speeds. As someone who’s sat in the right hand seat then you’ll agree that you need to be able to do a lot of the maths in those questions in order to be able to get through the ATPL theory? And for what it’s worth I agree the angles in a triangle isn’t relevant, I’m referring mainly to the speed / fuel burn type calculations.

Agreed some of that stuff (with emphasis on some) is relevant for the ground school but there’s very little maths questions with that degree of time pressure on them in the real world of the ATPLs. As people in this thread have said this is just a filter. Some good people will get through some bad will and vice versa. It’s a numbers game for the airline, they have far too many applications to go through so what’s a good way to whittle them down? A faceless process that for them is absolutely automated. Do not get discouraged if you don’t pass these tests is all I am saying. It’s not relevant to the day to day job and it’s not even relevant to the ATPLs.

(For full disclosure my 98% in ATPL General Navigation exam was achieved with decidedly average maths skills)

mizumono
22nd Sep 2023, 18:16
Submitted checking test this afternoon with five seconds to go and haven't heard anything since. The long and nervy wait begins! :bored:

Angle_of_Attack
22nd Sep 2023, 18:18

You're forgetting an important element - these tests are also designed to check your decision-making and accuracy under pressure. It's not necessarily just about the maths.

wtflyer
22nd Sep 2023, 19:14
Got the email inviting me to the video interview around 5pm today. Anyone know how long you have to complete this? I'd ideally like to be formally dressed (suit & tie etc.) as if it were a real interview, but won't be back home until after this weekend.

cherryeagle
22nd Sep 2023, 19:28
I answered all the questions with nearly 2 minutes to spare so idk, but good luck nevertheless.

garethkeenan
22nd Sep 2023, 20:14
Do you find yourself to be condescending? Yes it can be challenging but it’s not from doing mental gymnastics with maths. The actual maths used on the line is very basic, any pilot will tell you that.

You’ve got a short memory then, Rex. Ground school/initial flying/instrument rating are all fairly maths heavy, as is the necessity to perform whilst under pressure. The maths tests are not just assessing your ability to add up…

wtflyer
22nd Sep 2023, 20:17
Also, does anyone know whether the training would be ab initio regardless of experience? I have a PPL, 170 hours, and Night & IMC ratings. I just lack the funds to get the full CPL/ME/IR/ATPL, hence why I've applied.

Alanga1991
22nd Sep 2023, 20:27
Upon reflection, my comment was poorly worded, and yes did come across as spoilt. I suppose my point is where do I improve - I accept better candiates get in and I don't doubt that. But I think from the volume of times I've applied, money I have invested into a PPL, work experiences, I would like to know what I am lacking (and yes I am working on self-awareness). However, I do believe often that d&i can swing too much in one direction, surely pilots should be chosen on merit? I am all for D&I of course but the recent RAF scandal about 'too many useless white male pilots' shone light ono this issue.

But pilots ARE chosen on merit. I'd like to think my captain and FO both got to the pointy end of that metal tube taking me on holiday by working hard. But not taking people's background into consideration would be missing out on so many talented people who haven't had the chance to prove themselves. For instance you were in the UAS and now have 24hrs towards your PPL, working a city job. Some may see that as privileged and in a position to be able to fund your own training. Where as others haven't had that opportunity(UAS). But the main issue is you're failing at the screening tests, which have nothing to do with diversity. So if you don't get through and see BA have found 20 minorities out of a pool of 50,000+ candidates, please do not pull the race card. Because the screening tests, on the surface at least, do not discriminate. And finally don't be disheartened. This is COMPETITIVE and if you don't make it, try and try again. But statistically speaking some of us will never get it and will have to make our dreams happen the hard way. Like a majority of people. And that's okay too

Alanga1991
22nd Sep 2023, 20:29
Also got my invite to the video interview. I'm really grateful for the speedy process so far.

Best of luck everyone! :ok:

well done mate and good on you. Sadly I fell at the maths hurdle. Keep us sorry people updated on what Qs they're asking and what other tasks you need to do. I'm already preparing for TUI in Jan and BA again in 6 months time 😂😂🙏🙏

Aspieneil
22nd Sep 2023, 20:32
Well I tried so hard and failed at the first hurdle. But I won't be beaten. I won't give up. There is always a next time. 12 months to wait and gain experience and be better for the next opportunity.

VariablePitchP
23rd Sep 2023, 11:18
Also, does anyone know whether the training would be ab initio regardless of experience? I have a PPL, 170 hours, and Night & IMC ratings. I just lack the funds to get the full CPL/ME/IR/ATPL, hence why I've applied.

It will be fully Ab initio, but equally you’re not paying for it so who cares. If they want to pay for you to spend six months learning the art of cooking south East Asian cuisine for example or completing a foundation degree in geology… 🤷‍♂️

Rhysm03
23rd Sep 2023, 12:42
Did anybody else get an email reinviting them to take the checking test today?
I also was invited to redo my checking test. I have completed it but haven't heard anything since. Just hope it wasn't a mistake as I was sent a rejection email on the 19th after the checking test timed out. Anyone else in the same boat with information?

Wrightliam236
23rd Sep 2023, 13:18
Anyone heard about the video interview and how have people found it?

rudestuff
23rd Sep 2023, 13:29
That's a great position to be in. If you have passed the ATPL then you only need a 10 hour IR, a 15 hour CPL and minumum 8 hours of ME flying

Angle_of_Attack
23rd Sep 2023, 13:50
I happen to know someone who works in the recruitment team and they are pushing to have a better proportion of diverse backgrounds in the selection pools. So if your name sounds like it’s from a diverse background you have a better chance of getting through some of the stages.

For some reason not all the comments on this forum load when they're posted so I'm only just seeing this now, but.. wow.
In general, if you don't understand something it's better to learn about it than make ridiculous assumptions and spread baseless rumours.
Frankly I'd genuinely be surprised if you did well on the SJT or fact checking tests as the inference you made from that is astounding.
There are plenty of people with "diverse backgrounds" who have white-sounding surnames. As an example, if you had one "white" paternal grandparent but the rest of your family were BAME, you'd largely be of an "ethnic" background but on paper no one would know because you'd have a "white-sounding" family name.
When I see "pushing to have a better proportion of diverse backgrounds in the selection pool" I don't automatically conclude that it means they're selecting people purely on their race.
I don't have an HR background at all, but the first thought that comes to my mind is "How can they reach populations that might otherwise have missed this opportunity?"
This could take place in various forms, from representation to outreaches (going to schools and communities to advertise the programme) and one way to track if these methods are working is by seeing if there is an increase in applications from these populations (hence why they ask for the info on the application) andNOT that they are using that to select who gets on the programme itself.

Like someone else said, I hope BA recruitment is reading this thread (as well as other airlines) and take your comments on here into account when deciding if you make it or not.

Vanessa0405
23rd Sep 2023, 14:51
Hi all, I have just completed the maths test 2 minutes ago and I haven't got a message or anything about a checking test. Does that mean I have failed?

Vanessa0405
23rd Sep 2023, 14:56
Hi all, if you fail the maths test do you just get no response? do you automatically get the checking test?

Plain1
23rd Sep 2023, 15:35
And Fail! :ouch:

Would love to know what questions I got wrong. I screen shotted all the questions in the SJ test as I went along so I could review them later. Maybe 1 or 2 were between 2 possible answers, but I don't think I was massively out on any of them :8

Maybe once the application process has ended (Tuesday) we can all compare notes as to the different answers people chose?

pilot_dude
23rd Sep 2023, 15:50
Everyone speaking of GCSE level maths… I had a mate complete the application. He has an electrical engineering degree and even found it took him a while to get through. He did not pass!

He got 18 questions done on the test. He thinks his answers were correct.

His background? He has a PPL and IFR rating from Canada, which he completed when he finished university there.

He does think that having a computer decide whether you’re successful or not for next stages is ridiculous. He also said as someone with a PPL and IFR and has studied for some CPL training, he felt like he barely did maths in his flying - if any!

He said he’ll probably go back there and continue training in the future, if becoming a pilot is so complicated in our country.

Plain1
23rd Sep 2023, 21:02

He does think that having a computer decide whether you’re successful or not for next stages is ridiculous...

I understand why companies (aviation or not) do this, it's easier to make a website and have that sort the wheat from the chaff. (And I'm sure some applicants are below even chaff levels!) I've had this on various job applications over the year.

But, they always feel like they are set up by people who THINK they know what a job requires, rather than by people who ACTUALLY do the job day to day and make a hundred marginal judgement calls based on what's in front of them and do just fine. If you've ever had to deal with the public in a setting like face to face retail you know that there's often no "one size fits all" response to every scenario. So to have a rigid "choose 1 from these 4 options" Where 2 are obviously nonsense and 2 would probably be fine in 99.99% of situations in the real world does probably result in a lot of potential very good candidates falling by the wayside because the test is badly set up.

Such is life

LaurenC
23rd Sep 2023, 21:16
Got the email inviting me to the video interview around 5pm today. Anyone know how long you have to complete this? I'd ideally like to be formally dressed (suit & tie etc.) as if it were a real interview, but won't be back home until after this weekend.
We have until Midnight on the 1st October :)

Thesootybear123
23rd Sep 2023, 21:30
Hi all, if you fail the maths test do you just get no response? do you automatically get the checking test?

mine took a few hours before I got the checking test email

desertghost
23rd Sep 2023, 21:30
I am just repeating what I have been told from an internal source.

I ran a fake profile and set my attributes to those less represented minorities, and just like that my application got all the way through just a shame my details won’t match the profile.

lastly unlike BAs recruitment site this forum and my name is anonymous and they wouldn’t be able to tell my actual name etc.

I really hope that's not true.

GolfWhiskyKilo
23rd Sep 2023, 21:53
I really hope that's not true.

I’d like to know which boxes the poster ticked/didn’t tick to come up with this theory!

icedchailatte
23rd Sep 2023, 23:51
hey guys is it true ba are resending assessments out to people?

Vanessa0405
24th Sep 2023, 08:44
mine took a few hours before I got the checking test email

Hi thank you :) so you are meant to receive an email either with the test or saying you have been rejected?

PPRuNeUser0195
24th Sep 2023, 09:50

I ran a fake profile and set my attributes to those less represented minorities, and just like that my application got all the way through just a shame my details won’t match the profile.

lastly unlike BAs recruitment site this forum and my name is anonymous and they wouldn’t be able to tell my actual name etc.

Oh look, another person who doesn’t deserve a seat in a flight deck - ever. You’re fortunate that it’s anonymous on here, otherwise I would happily call you out if I ever found out you had a job at an airline. People like you are what’s wrong with the world, unable to own the fact you failed something so blame someone else. I’m a white male and passed the tests with no issues - maybe it’s just you.

That said I’m fairly sure I failed the digital interview!

speedbird42
24th Sep 2023, 09:52
Oh look, another person who doesn’t deserve a seat in a flight deck - ever. You’re fortunate that it’s anonymous on here, otherwise I would happily call you out if I ever found out you had a job at an airline. People like you are what’s wrong with the world, unable to own the fact you failed something so blame someone else. I’m a white male and passed the tests with no issues - maybe it’s just you.

You never know! What makes you think you failed?

Angle_of_Attack
24th Sep 2023, 10:46

Nobody is as anonymous as they think on the internet.

Cpt1234
24th Sep 2023, 11:04

hi mate, how did the interview go? What did they ask??

belugaInBroughton
24th Sep 2023, 11:39

well said!
may I ask what you think went wrong?

PPRuNeUser0195
24th Sep 2023, 11:50
hi mate, how did the interview go? What did they ask??

I won’t be saying anything about what was asked - as it would give others an unfair advantage and that’s not right.

Lewil2
24th Sep 2023, 12:25
How soon after a checking test do you get a pass/fail email? Or do you not…?

HSLF142
24th Sep 2023, 13:26
So did the first assessment for speedbird clicked submit page crashes so logged back in and says was completed but haven’t received another assessment or rejection email so emailed the speedbird help email provided 8 days letter nothing emailed every single day and CC in recruitment nothing.

rang BA said they couldn’t help and had to wait on recruitment to get back to me.

Very angry that 99% sure won’t get in not due to my fault but due to a technical problem.

A320R348
24th Sep 2023, 14:04
Hi Aj2017, totally get why you won’t tell anyone what was asked. Folk should be preparing for a whole array of stuff on their own anyway…

But are you willing to share any information on the format? Was there a time limit to your answers and are you able to re-record your response if you fluff it up?

PPRuNeUser0195
24th Sep 2023, 14:08
You never know! What makes you think you failed?

Just made a few mistakes in it sadly. We will see in the next few days though!

PPRuNeUser0195
24th Sep 2023, 14:08
well said!
may I ask what you think went wrong?

I just made a few mistakes in it unfortunately!

Angle_of_Attack
24th Sep 2023, 18:53

I hope you're successful!

belugaInBroughton
24th Sep 2023, 19:29
Just got a rejection too. Thought I did well on all tests and spent hours on that paragraph.
Just wanted to say whoever mentioned something about D&I being a factor in who gets to progress is wrong as I definitely would’ve gotten in if that was the case. And I’d like to say even if I did get it, if it’s on that basis I’d probably turn it down in all honesty.
regardless, good luck to all who got to progress. It’s my first time doing this so not too disheartened. Learning point if anything.
one thing I’d like to say though is that we shouldn’t hold our breathe on these “golden tickets”. Guess it’s back to getting my PPL and grinding it out the old fashioned way! See youse in the cockpit in 5 years I guess!

Hubble90
24th Sep 2023, 19:58
Has anyone else failed to receive the tests after putting the basic application in? I've received an email stating that I won't be progressing to next stage and thanks for attempting tests, but I've not even had an opportunity to attempt them

Soon2bflyingscotsman
24th Sep 2023, 20:04
I feel like I've done the same, stumbled over a couple of words and with the competition for places I feel like that it could be enough to knock me out.

PPRuNeUser0195
24th Sep 2023, 20:14
Same here, I'm pretty sure I did well on the tests and they took two days to get back to me - I'm an A-level physics teacher with a master's from Cambridge and their baseline is 5 GCSEs... would be helpful if they were a bit more transparent as to what they're looking for but then again they've set the bar so low for applying that they'll be inundated with applications meaning no feedback. Frustrating.

I’d expect a large amount at this stage comes down to motivation which would be highlighted in your CV and question answer - but could be wrong.

sukhster
24th Sep 2023, 20:14
Hi, does anyone know if the deadline is midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow?

Dannyboyblue
24th Sep 2023, 20:39
Hi all, I took the online tests yesterday evening. Didn’t get any email after so good start. I’ve just got an invite for online interview so it looks time the timeframe is about 24hrs after test.

Good luck all
DBB

desertghost
24th Sep 2023, 20:46
I’d expect a large amount at this stage comes down to motivation which would be highlighted in your CV and question answer - but could be wrong.
Sure, like so many others I'd always aspired to be a pilot but also had to be realistic and pay the bills hence my current career, I have a PPL - the maximum flying experience allowed. But honestly they've set the barrier to entry so low it makes you wonder about the credibility of the course, you'd like to think the people flying for BA at least have a few A levels.

Hubble90
24th Sep 2023, 20:49
Anyone else failed to be sent the tests after completing application? Had a email stating I had unsuccessful results in regard to testing but I've not even had a chance to attempt them

Alanga1991
24th Sep 2023, 21:06
Sure, like so many others I'd always aspired to be a pilot but also had to be realistic and pay the bills hence my current career, I have a PPL - the maximum flying experience allowed. But honestly they've set the barrier to entry so low it makes you wonder about the credibility of the course, you'd like to think the people flying for BA at least have a few A levels. Perhaps I should be suggesting BA as a possible career path for my less academic students.

having a "masters from Cambridge" doesn't make you anymore qualified than someone with "only GCSEs". Barrier to entry is low yes, but it's meant to be inclusive that's the point. They're spreading their net wide in the hopes of getting some very talented young people who will spend 45+ years as a BA pilot. That's some serious ROI. Also I'll day again: at this early stage a human hasn't looked at your application yet. So regardless of our impressive backgrounds if we can't pass the entry tests we shall not pass. PS: I'm a secondary school English teacher also with a masters, a PPL and an impressive CV. All that means nothing if we fall at the first hurdle. Good luck with your hour building

PPRuNeUser0195
24th Sep 2023, 21:09
Sure, like so many others I'd always aspired to be a pilot but also had to be realistic and pay the bills hence my current career, I have a PPL - the maximum flying experience allowed. But honestly they've set the barrier to entry so low it makes you wonder about the credibility of the course, you'd like to think the people flying for BA at least have a few A levels.

What else have you done though? Do you have a career in aviation? Have you done anything interesting with your ppl like a landaway anywhere? There’s honestly so much more to motivation than just saying you want to be a pilot and have a PPL. I had about five paragraphs of stuff to write and had to chop it down to fit. I disagree on the A level front I’m afraid. You can be aircrew in the military with no A levels

desertghost
24th Sep 2023, 21:29
What else have you done though? Do you have a career in aviation? Have you done anything interesting with your ppl like a landaway anywhere? There’s honestly so much more to motivation than just saying you want to be a pilot and have a PPL. I had about five paragraphs of stuff to write and had to chop it down to fit. I disagree on the A level front I’m afraid. You can be aircrew in the military with no A levels
The low academic requirements suggest to me that the course and career won't be particularly demanding.

VariablePitchP
24th Sep 2023, 22:21
The low academic requirements suggest to me that the course and career won't be particularly demanding.

Or it’s recognition that an A Level in history doesn’t correlate necessarily well to an enhanced ability to fly an ILS single engine.

A career can be extremely challenging, without being at all strenuous academically. The prime minister didn’t have to meet any academic requirements to get the job…

planesandthings
24th Sep 2023, 23:43

You'll be significantly disappointed if you think academia gets you any significant advantage in a flying career. It is nearly all about aptitude and soft skills. Something that academia does not provide a guarantee for. ATPL Theory is all about volume of content rather than difficulty.

cryptoknight
25th Sep 2023, 02:00
Were any non-British and non-European candidates advanced to the interview stage? I don't fall into either category.

I took the test alongside my British friend, and we both finished on the 20th morning. Interestingly, we both provided the same answers. He received an email for an online interview on the 22nd, while I received a rejection letter just a few minutes ago on the 25th. I'm beginning to wonder if they might not be considering international applicants even though I'm able to comply with all the requirements?

desertghost
25th Sep 2023, 06:00
You'll be significantly disappointed if you think academia gets you any significant advantage in a flying career. It is nearly all about aptitude and soft skills. Something that academia does not provide a guarantee for. ATPL Theory is all about volume of content rather than difficulty.
Interesting. I just checked back to when BA launched their previous future flying programme in 2012 - you needed at 2.1 Bachelors degree to be considered then - clearly things have changed.

desertghost
25th Sep 2023, 06:02
Were any non-British and non-European candidates advanced to the interview stage? I don't fall into either category.

I took the test alongside my British friend, and we both finished on the 20th morning. Interestingly, we both provided the same answers. He received an email for an online interview on the 22nd, while I received a rejection letter just a few minutes ago on the 25th. I'm beginning to wonder if they might not be considering international applicants even though I'm able to comply with all the requirements?

Different CV and motivation answer?

cryptoknight
25th Sep 2023, 06:08
Different CV and motivation answer?
Both were pretty much similar, motivation answer and CV format, in fact I was the one who wrote for him.

PPRuNeUser0195
25th Sep 2023, 06:21

Then I’m afraid you would be wrong.

desertghost
25th Sep 2023, 06:43
Then I’m afraid you would be wrong.
"You'll be significantly disappointed if you think academia gets you any significant advantage in a flying career. It is nearly all about aptitude and soft skills. Something that academia does not provide a guarantee for. ATPL Theory is all about volume of content rather than difficulty." Is this also wrong?

PPRuNeUser0195
25th Sep 2023, 06:49
"You'll be significantly disappointed if you think academia gets you any significant advantage in a flying career. It is nearly all about aptitude and soft skills. Something that academia does not provide a guarantee for. ATPL Theory is all about volume of content rather than difficulty." Is this also wrong?

No, but having A levels or a degree isn’t a necessary test of someone’s ability to pass ATPL Theory. The depth of knowledge and difficulty is significant - but BA have clearly got their own way of testing someone’s ability to pass including the flight school assessment. And with good enough instruction at the schools you don’t need to be a top performer to do well.

cryptoknight
25th Sep 2023, 07:03
Yes, I'm happy he made it through. Unfortunately, I didn't. I identify as Asian-others, straight man. He identifies as white-British, straight man. That's the information we provided.

cryptoknight
25th Sep 2023, 07:06
the pay isn't as attractive as compare to finance or tech sectors. But I guess it's good enough.

VariablePitchP
25th Sep 2023, 08:22
the pay isn't as attractive as compare to finance or tech sectors. But I guess it's good enough.

Actually it is for an awful lot of people, plenty of aggressively mediocre individuals in tech and finance on £40/50K for eternity. Not everyone is £500K.

And doing 60 hours a week (and more) staring at a computer screen in an office cubicle in London, couldn’t pay enough to do it. Seems absolutely soul destroying.

desertghost
25th Sep 2023, 08:36
No, but having A levels or a degree isn’t a necessary test of someone’s ability to pass ATPL Theory. The depth of knowledge and difficulty is significant - but BA have clearly got their own way of testing someone’s ability to pass including the flight school assessment. And with good enough instruction at the schools you don’t need to be a top performer to do well.

Ok, good luck to all.

mattd75
25th Sep 2023, 08:53
Air traffic controllers only need GCSE, do you think that isnt demanding either? Academic requirements only prove knowledge, when you are going into a career of mostly skills and new knowledge previous knowledge is irrelevent. Thats not to say it couldnt help, nor could the skills obtained by the qualifications but it is not an indicator of how good you are at those skills.

KyleT
25th Sep 2023, 09:21
So did the first assessment for speedbird clicked submit page crashes so logged back in and says was completed but haven’t received another assessment or rejection email so emailed the speedbird help email provided 8 days letter nothing emailed every single day and CC in recruitment nothing.

rang BA said they couldn’t help and had to wait on recruitment to get back to me.

Very angry that 99% sure won’t get in not due to my fault but due to a technical problem.

A similar thing happened to me. I was wondering what the email was as I forgot to write it down? Thank you

stnly
25th Sep 2023, 09:41
Not everyone has had the opportunity to do a degree. Perhaps they had to work to support their family after school, or had to care for others. Setting the _minimum_ entry requirements at this level is fine, and will broaden the pool of applicants encouraging people who might not otherwise have this opportunity - which is the primary objective of this scheme.

As you say, doing a degree demonstrates ability and focus, which are fantastic and I have no doubt they will take that into account during the process.

I certainly don't feel that my degree has been 'de-valued', but rather is another string to my bow.

PPRuNeUser0195
25th Sep 2023, 09:51
I agree with what you're saying about the skills required for the job but you're totally ignoring the fact all companies need ways of differentiating between people in what is a big and competitive world.

Having some decent qualifications from school shows that somebody had some intelligence, drive, focus and discipline, they've also had to perform in exams under pressure; everybody has been to school so everybody has the opportunity to demonstrate this. It's a useful marker which practically every other profession uses to set a standard and to restrict the number of people applying for jobs. I have friends with PHds who do jobs that I'm sure somebody with GCSEs could also do but that's not the point, they worked hard to get where they are and deserve their positions. Setting the bar so low (especially when it used to be much higher) indicates that the company doesn't take any of the above seriously and sends the message to people not to bother as you only need a handful of GCSEs to get in anyway. All pretty unaspirational stuff from a company which seems to hold itself in such high regard.

Not necessarily. Some people don’t have that opportunity to go to Uni or do A levels through no fault of their own. This scheme is specifically designed to give people an opportunity who don’t currently have that, be that financial or educational. The sooner people accepted that the better.

PPRuNeUser0195
25th Sep 2023, 10:00
You clearly see no value in secondary education, something to which everyone in Britain has access, regardless of money or motivation. By the way it's spelt 'doesn't' and 'don't'.

What about full time carers? People who have to leave to work and support others financially? People who failed GCSEs and A levels weren’t an option at the time, but have subsequently gained their GCSEs? There is value in secondary education of course but not everyone has the same opportunities you had. My current job requires only GCSEs and I can tell you it’s a lot more stressful and challenging than most other jobs going. I also work with people more intelligent than the majority of the population. So no, A Levels or a degree aren’t a pre cursor to success.

And for what it’s worth on the motivation for the job I had about 6 paragraphs to begin with and had to cut it down. So the people on here who didn’t pass need to own it and improve for next time. I also had the same lagging on the maths test and finished with minutes to spare. If I haven’t passed the interview I will learn from it, and take it away for the next time I apply to a scheme. The kind of individuals who can’t own the fact they failed something and blame others don’t deserves a career in flying and will very quickly be found out. Owning mistakes is essential in aviation to promote a safe flying culture.

Far too many sour people on here.

FuturePilot_123
25th Sep 2023, 10:15
I did an Aero Engineering Degree at a top UK university, and am mid way through my ATPLs. Although I am now studying for my ATPLs alongside a full time job - it is no walk in the park. Don’t be fooled. There are maths heavy subjects, and knowledge heavy subjects - but you need to pass all!

So although it is not necessary as per the entry criteria to be a wizz kid, when you have to calculate a flight plan under time constraints, remember Gen Nav formulae under exam conditions, if you don’t have a sound basic background in Maths - you will fail. I am surprised airlines like BA are willing to take that gamble, providing they have pride in all pilots to have ATPL results of greater than 85% overall.

That’s not to say the ATPLs are impossible. You just can’t go about them with the opinion that you’ll wing it by learning the banks. After all, who wants to board an aircraft with someone in the nose who doesn’t have a scooby.

PPRuNeUser0195
25th Sep 2023, 10:17
I did an Aero Engineering Degree at a top UK university, and am mid way through my ATPLs. Although I am now studying for my ATPLs alongside a full time job - it is no walk in the park. Don’t be fooled. There are maths heavy subjects, and knowledge heavy subjects - but you need to pass all!

So although it is not necessary as per the entry criteria to be a wizz kid, when you have to calculate a flight plan under time constraints, remember Gen Nav formulae under exam conditions, if you don’t have a strong background in Maths - you will fail. I am surprised airlines like BA are willing to take that gamble, providing they have pride in all pilots to have ATPL result of greater than 85% overall.

That’s not to say the ATPLs are impossible. You just can’t go about them with the opinion that you’ll wing it by learning the banks. After all, who wants to board an aircraft with someone in the nose who doesn’t have a scooby.

They aren’t taking a gamble though, they’re doing a fairly stringent selection process to make sure they find the right people. They will then have 6 months instruction to make sure they can pass the exams. I agree they’re really difficult but there’s a huge difference between classroom based and distance learning ATPL theory. BA won’t allow someone in the flight deck unless they meet the standard it’s that simple. The employment offers will all be conditional based on meeting criteria through training.

FuturePilot_123
25th Sep 2023, 10:22
They aren’t taking a gamble though, they’re doing a fairly stringent selection process to make sure they find the right people. They will then have 6 months instruction to make sure they can pass the exams. I agree they’re really difficult but there’s a huge difference between classroom based and distance learning ATPL theory. BA won’t allow someone in the flight deck unless they meet the standard it’s that simple. The employment offers will all be conditional based on meeting criteria through training.

I am speaking from experience. Not saying it can’t be done, but don’t be fooled. That’s my point.

a_craw2804
25th Sep 2023, 11:33
Got an email last night saying i've passed through to the video interview, Dont expect people to be telling questions or anything but is there any advice to give? are there re-dos if you mess up, time period?

Aero6ix
25th Sep 2023, 11:58
Does anyone know when the actual deadline is for applying?

Jamestl
25th Sep 2023, 12:09
Im surprised to say I’ve made it to video interview. I didn’t finish the maths questions so assumed I’d be out.

Whoever it is posting here about diversity is a cynic who doesn’t deserve to be in the process. I do not fit the mould of the type of person you think they’re seeking. I’m a married white guy in my late 30’s - I think the process is fair and transparent. I put effort into my 250 words talking about loving flying since I was a kid but circumstances meant it was never financially achievable. I made sure my CV & the paragraph reflected both BA values and the types of experience and qualities they’d want in an applicant.

I’ll either be successful or I won’t. If I’m not, it’ll be because I’m not good enough compared to others, not because of a quota.

Nino24
25th Sep 2023, 12:47
Did anyone today receive any invite for digital interview.

fredddyfred
25th Sep 2023, 12:54
omg is there another digital interview after the video interview 😂

DawnChorus01
25th Sep 2023, 12:59
Anyone in the same boat as me? Did the tests on Tuesday. Haven’t heard anything since, application says submitted and completed all tests ? Just thinking when to start being worried

cherryeagle
25th Sep 2023, 13:01
I wish. I completed the third test last Wednesday morning and have heard nothing since.

Well done to you if you got one!
Did the tests on friday night and nothing so far. All I can do is wait for now

ChecksD
25th Sep 2023, 14:46

Thats quite an assumption to make. Fortunately, when I started my career, the barrier to entry was low - set at GCSE. Had it been higher, I like would have ended up going a different route and not commanding a ship. The barrier is set low to draw talent, not necessarily because the course is easy. If you think getting a ship captains licence is a breeze, I can assure you its not!

mrism002
25th Sep 2023, 16:34
Completed the checking test this time yesterday still waiting for an email

IdiotLightInop
25th Sep 2023, 18:07
Jamestl I've just been invited to the video assesment, I'd greatly appreciate any advice/tips on the software.

DM if you can!

Cheers.

pwh1999
25th Sep 2023, 18:30
Does anyone know how they are reviewing video interviews? Is it automated or is an actual person watching them?

nemnut
25th Sep 2023, 20:16
Best fo luck to everyone

PPRuNeUser0195
25th Sep 2023, 21:01
Jamestl I've just been invited to the video assesment, I'd greatly appreciate any advice/tips on the software.

DM if you can!

Cheers.

Theres no advice or tips to give, it’s easy enough to do so just go for it.

Pilotguy85
25th Sep 2023, 21:05

Yes, video interview email received.

PPRuNeUser0195
25th Sep 2023, 21:11
Got an email last night saying i've passed through to the video interview, Dont expect people to be telling questions or anything but is there any advice to give? are there re-dos if you mess up, time period?

All the instructions and times are given to you before you actually start recording or anything.

Callum644
25th Sep 2023, 22:48
Guys, how many questions are in the interview? Do you have more chances to record your answers?

PPRuNeUser0195
26th Sep 2023, 06:22
Guys, how many questions are in the interview? Do you have more chances to record your answers?

Yes, you can so just go for it. Telling you things like that gives you an unfair advantage.

joey7415963
26th Sep 2023, 10:08
Anyone else still waiting for a reply after completing the checking test? Did mine Friday night, still not heard anything either way.

joey7415963
26th Sep 2023, 10:48
Anyone else still waiting on a reply? Completed my checking test last Friday night and still haven't heard anything either way.

stnly
26th Sep 2023, 14:21
Now that applications have closed, any thoughts on how many applications they received? It seemed to be really well publicised with even news outlets like the Evening Standard picking up on it and they published a video starring Emma Raducanu engaged in a bit of a q and a.

I wonder if they will tell people who get to later stages what the stats were!

ChecksD
26th Sep 2023, 15:54
Im surprised to say I’ve made it to video interview. I didn’t finish the maths questions so assumed I’d be out.

Whoever it is posting here about diversity is a cynic who doesn’t deserve to be in the process. I do not fit the mould of the type of person you think they’re seeking. I’m a married white guy in my late 30’s - I think the process is fair and transparent. I put effort into my 250 words talking about loving flying since I was a kid but circumstances meant it was never financially achievable. I made sure my CV & the paragraph reflected both BA values and the types of experience and qualities they’d want in an applicant.

I’ll either be successful or I won’t. If I’m not, it’ll be because I’m not good enough compared to others, not because of a quota.

Here, here... very similar to yourself, I'm a 40 something white, hetrosexual male and have made if throgh the initial elements of the process. Comiserations to those who havent made it through.

Gdot1
26th Sep 2023, 16:32
Is anybody else still awaiting an update from their tests? I applied on the 19th and managed to get through to the checking test. I’ve had nothing since in terms of an invite to interview or an unsuccessful email?

I presumed they’d be going through applications in date order… However noticed a few people apply after me, but already been invited to interview.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same position?

desertghost
26th Sep 2023, 17:22

BA values?

Fersytal
26th Sep 2023, 17:23
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to get back to you after you finish the three assesments as ive done them on thursday and still no reply

Nath.Walker10
26th Sep 2023, 17:29
Hi, applied yesterday and completed the three initial exams. Just wondering when I will be notified on any further interview or assessments. Is it usually instant or does it take a few days. I completed my Maths exams and only received the checking exam an hour after completion. Any advice, help or update would be massively appreciated lol! been sat on the edge of my seat all day!

fredddyfred
26th Sep 2023, 20:57
Hi, applied yesterday and completed the three initial exams. Just wondering when I will be notified on any further interview or assessments. Is it usually instant or does it take a few days. I completed my Maths exams and only received the checking exam an hour after completion. Any advice, help or update would be massively appreciated lol! been sat on the edge of my seat all day!

Some people waited a day or two, some people waited for longer. Just be patient, they will send an email in due course.

Nath.Walker10
26th Sep 2023, 20:58
Thank you mate, much appreciated!

peter.a.96
27th Sep 2023, 09:18
Congrats to all who have made it through so far! I submitted my video interview on Saturday - definitely feel like I fluffed it at some points but these things happen!

Hoping that they will be reviewing them this week and we'll see some next round invites go out!

PPRuNeUser0195
27th Sep 2023, 10:01
Congrats to all who have made it through so far! I submitted my video interview on Saturday - definitely feel like I fluffed it at some points but these things happen!

Hoping that they will be reviewing them this week and we'll see some next round invites go out!

Glad it isn’t just me! Submitted mine Saturday as well and got my words a bit mixed up at times. Hopefully they take CV into account as well! I suspect this is the first stage they actually have a person look at your application.

Fablon
27th Sep 2023, 10:40
Hi guys, I received the invite for the Video Interview. But the email has no details such as deadline etc. Does anyone know when this has to do be done by? I’m afraid to click the link and start the process. Thanks

Lat23
27th Sep 2023, 14:08
Congratulations to those who are still in the application process. I made it through the 3 tests last week, but then a few days later received the dreaded ‘thanks but no thanks’ email.

Out of interest, for those of you who have successfully made it through to the interview, do you already work in the aviation industry or in a different field?

Many thanks and best of luck for the rest of the assessments!

Mafeton
27th Sep 2023, 14:23
What are the rules (if any) around male hair length and facial hair? Wondering if I need to shave the mane before I do my video responses.

Nino24
27th Sep 2023, 15:00
Hi guys, any news yet! Still anxiously waiting!

Fersytal
27th Sep 2023, 15:22
Still havent recieved any update, does anyone know if the video interview deadline is gonna be 1st october for everyone even for the people that recieved their email later?

misticacme
27th Sep 2023, 15:34
Is there a deadline for the video interview? I work full time and received an invitation to complete it yesterday but I can’t find the time

JustOneMoreQuestion.
27th Sep 2023, 15:49
Had my email for video interview today. Curious as to whether everyone who passed the assessments got the video interview request.

Also, slightly off topic, but I wonder how many people in total applied for the scheme...

Jamestl
27th Sep 2023, 15:55
Had my email for video interview today. Curious as to whether everyone who passed the assessments got the video interview request.

Also, slightly off topic, but I wonder how many people in total applied for the scheme...

I assumed that they would have a number in mind that they would want/have capacity to assess at virtual interview and then had a sliding scale for the assessment pass to hit that number. The alternative would potentially be an unmanageable number of videos to assess in quite a tight assessment timeframe.

I agree it’s unlikely the CV/250 words have been assessed yet.

I need to compete my video interview some time this week.

PPRuNeUser0195
27th Sep 2023, 19:03
What are the rules (if any) around male hair length and facial hair? Wondering if I need to shave the mane before I do my video responses.

I would just dress and be presented as if you were ready to go to work for them really

VariablePitchP
27th Sep 2023, 19:08

One of those things where you’ve got to step back and have perspective.

It’s probably absolutely fine to have, days of being discriminated against for haircuts are more or less over in the industry.

But given it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to totally change the trajectory of your working life, would you want even the slightest nagging doubt that you’d not got the job because you hadn’t just had a haircut and a shave?

Same for suits etc. There’s a 40 year career with one of the best employers in the uk (let alone airlines) on offer, and people seem to be deciding whether they can be bothered to a jacket on or not.

Clearmyside
27th Sep 2023, 19:17
Not sure how much this would be looked at, at this stage, but I believe the oxygen masks on the flight deck are less effective with beards.

PPRuNeUser0195
27th Sep 2023, 19:24
Not sure how much this would be looked at, at this stage, but I believe the oxygen masks on the flight deck are less effective with beards.

Cant see it being looked at at all to be honest, as long as what you have is clean and tidy that’s what would count. Plenty of pilots have short beards these days. BA pride themselves on the professional image and if someone doesn’t do that in an interview then it probably won’t go in their favour.

Jamestl
27th Sep 2023, 19:27

You do realise that the BA guidance on appearance was included as a pdf document within the application?

Attention to this kind of thing matters - it’s why BA will have invested a tidy sum in the well produced document telling you what is acceptable.

Speed_Trim_Fail
27th Sep 2023, 19:27

That depends on the length - research has proven it isn’t normally an issue, current BA policy does allow well groomed and short beards and you do see them often enough across all ranks and fleets.

The mantra for airline interviews was always: dark suit, white shirt, red tie and either clean shaven or a well groomed/clipped beard and a conservative hair cut. With minor alterations for your own gender identify/religious requirements of course, I fail to see how this isn’t just as applicable today.

IvMor
27th Sep 2023, 20:31
Just adding my experience - completed 3x exams but still waiting on rejection email/video interview...

BH98
27th Sep 2023, 20:36
I was sadly unsuccessful, although it showed me where my weaknesses are and I plan on doing something about it.

I would just like some confirmation from someone, anyone, that they’re going to offer this opportunity again?!

Is it yearly? I read somewhere about six months but can’t find it now. Any advice is appreciated.

Pilotguy85
27th Sep 2023, 20:40
Yes, I saw a post on Facebook from Skyborne saying they are probably going to offer it out again in March, although I did also read I think, you can't re-apply within twelve months...

LCpl_Ghostrider
27th Sep 2023, 21:13
What questions did you get asked and how many Aj? (Asking for a friend) :p

Gdot1
27th Sep 2023, 21:22
I was sadly unsuccessful, although it showed me where my weaknesses are and I plan on doing something about it.

I would just like some confirmation from someone, anyone, that they’re going to offer this opportunity again?!

Is it yearly? I read somewhere about six months but can’t find it now. Any advice is appreciated.

The FAQ document on their page states that they’ll aim to run this programme annually but cannot guarantee it.

Pilotguy85
27th Sep 2023, 21:33

I heard them say they had low tens of thousands of hits on the page about the scheme so expected a large number to apply. I wonder how many actually did apply and secondly, how many were realistic candidates.

PPRuNeUser0195
27th Sep 2023, 21:34
What questions did you get asked and how many Aj? (Asking for a friend) :p

I won’t be saying and I don’t think anyone will be - if you’ve got an interview invite then go ahead and do it, it’s easy enough and doesn’t take long. It’s tough competition for only 70 spaces so to give others an advantage wouldn’t be a sensible thing to do.

Pilotguy85
27th Sep 2023, 21:37

Direct from the Skyborne website :

"The Speedbird Pilot Academy application window is now closed and will reopen in Spring 2024."

up and away
27th Sep 2023, 22:03
I won’t be saying and I don’t think anyone will be - if you’ve got an interview invite then go ahead and do it, it’s easy enough and doesn’t take long. It’s tough competition for only 70 spaces so to give others an advantage wouldn’t be a sensible thing to do.

here here!

Airplane987
27th Sep 2023, 22:05
Is there a deadline for the video interview? I work full time and received an invitation to complete it yesterday but I can’t find the time

According to the emails I recieved, it's this Sunday 1st October.

Wadi Ash
28th Sep 2023, 08:39
Looks like the video interview deadline is for 1st October 23:59 for all regardless if you've received the online interview or not

If you've completed the tests and not received an invite for a video interview you've most likely not made it through!

Mafeton
28th Sep 2023, 09:25
One of those things where you’ve got to step back and have perspective.

It’s probably absolutely fine to have, days of being discriminated against for haircuts are more or less over in the industry.

But given it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to totally change the trajectory of your working life, would you want even the slightest nagging doubt that you’d not got the job because you hadn’t just had a haircut and a shave?

Same for suits etc. There’s a 40 year career with one of the best employers in the uk (let alone airlines) on offer, and people seem to be deciding whether they can be bothered to a jacket on or not.

Thank you! I got a haircut booked for today, it was niggling at the back of my mind, can always grow it back in the future if that's what I want to do!

IdiotLightInop
28th Sep 2023, 09:27
Has anyone recieved an invite to Waterside after the video interview?

Would like to understand the lead times after submission.

Donut_Ring
28th Sep 2023, 10:12
Good morning all

A bit of a long shot but I was hoping to get peoples thoughts and hopefully some clarity about my application.

I received a rejection email this morning but I’m really puzzled as to why. I’m very confident I scored highly on the assessments, and in addition to that I have 2 degrees in engineering as well as 5 years experience in gas turbine design working on products that BA uses. However, to my surprise I have not been successful in the first stage.

None of the above entitles me to a job by any means, but I’m really not sure why I have been unsuccessful at such an early stage in the process, as I feel like I’ve ticked all of the boxes to at least go to interview.

The only thing was I didn’t upload my GCSE documents, as I didn’t have them to hand, but in place I uploaded my BEng and MSc diplomas. Do you think the system could have auto rejected given there were no GCSE evidence?

Again, I really don’t want this to come across as entitled, I just feel I performed very strongly on the assessment and have a good set of experience which is all they have seen at this stage - so I’m really confused why I have been unsuccessful at the first stage.

any thoughts on the situation would be really appreciated.

Fersytal
28th Sep 2023, 11:06
Good morning all

A bit of a long shot but I was hoping to get peoples thoughts and hopefully some clarity about my application.

I received a rejection email this morning but I’m really puzzled as to why. I’m very confident I scored highly on the assessments, and in addition to that I have 2 degrees in engineering as well as 5 years experience in gas turbine design working on products that BA uses. However, to my surprise I have not been successful in the first stage.

None of the above entitles me to a job by any means, but I’m really not sure why I have been unsuccessful at such an early stage in the process, as I feel like I’ve ticked all of the boxes to at least go to interview.

The only thing was I didn’t upload my GCSE documents, as I didn’t have them to hand, but in place I uploaded my BEng and MSc diplomas. Do you think the system could have auto rejected given there were no GCSE evidence?

Again, I really don’t want this to come across as entitled, I just feel I performed very strongly on the assessment and have a good set of experience which is all they have seen at this stage - so I’m really confused why I have been unsuccessful at the first stage.

When did you finish your three tests if you dont mind me asking

PPRuNeUser0195
28th Sep 2023, 11:25
Good morning all

It said to upload them and you didn’t - so yes it probably was because of that. If I was a recruiter looking at that on an application I would think they couldn’t follow instructions and reject it. This may sound harsh and I don’t mean it to be that way! Equally, if they have had a person read your CV or answer to the question it could be based upon that.

stnly
28th Sep 2023, 11:26
Good morning all

I think it's very unlikely that any human has looked at any applications before submission of the video interview. Therefore it's very unlikely that you were rejected because of simply not uploading the right documentation. It sounds as if you might not have performed as well as you thought you might have on the online tests, so certainly something to work on next time.

That said, having experienced the online assessments this time around will only set you up for success next time, so take heart in that. You can use your experience to direct your prep in the future.

Airplane987
28th Sep 2023, 12:17
I agree with Aj2017, given how competetive the programme is I don't think failing to upload your documents when they asked would have helped your case. The uploading files section did only state GCSEs, not diplomas. Maybe next year?

Airplane987
28th Sep 2023, 12:22
No invite yet, but I reckon they won't send results until after the 1st so that people who aren't successful don't leak the questions/answers.

Donut_Ring
28th Sep 2023, 13:27
It said to upload them and you didn’t - so yes it probably was because of that. If I was a recruiter looking at that on an application I would think they couldn’t follow instructions and reject it. This may sound harsh and I don’t mean it to be that way! Equally, if they have had a person read your CV or answer to the question it could be based upon that.

Hmmm potentially, I would feel very hard done by if that is the case. I had to apply whilst on holiday and one would like to think that if you have a masters degree this would automatically override GCSEs?

28th Sep 2023, 13:28
bet recruiters gonna think youre an arrogant little **** . Best you work on it mate or you're not getting through either

Screechase
28th Sep 2023, 13:31
All I can say is I didn’t upload any certificates and still made it to video interview as I meet the GCSE requirements. The job description specifically said: If you have equivalent qualifications, please upload your certificates and we will gain the equivalency’s from ECCTIS. meaning only people who do not hold gcses but have equivalent qualifications should have uploaded their certificates.

Pilotguy85
28th Sep 2023, 14:37
Good morning all

Almost certainly re: GCSE certificates. It was a requirement for application although it could be for a number of reasons (CV/answer to the Q).

Anonymous747
28th Sep 2023, 15:04
glad you feel like it went well.
did you have an actual interview with BA or was it the two recorded tasks you did?

jaromir
28th Sep 2023, 15:15
Rejected after passing the 3 assessments (which were pretty straightforward) which I suspect is due to not having GCSEs, as I grew up outside of UK.
Pity but I'll go back to my boring cubicle desk as someone called it earlier in this thread.

Fingers crossed for everyone in the next stage!

chris_
28th Sep 2023, 15:51
Good morning all

More likely it was to do with CV and/or your answer to the questions. They have screened applications before sending invites for video interviews.

3seatmaniac
28th Sep 2023, 16:04
Good morning all

Sorry to hear you didn't make it through to the video interview stage. I doubt the rejection will be because you didn't upload proof of educational achievements. Myself, I didn't upload any proof of educational achievements and got through the initial 3 tests and also got invited to the video interview stage. It is only once you get to the assessment centre at Heathrow that you need to provide educational certificates - my source for this is the video that BA released on the application process for the Academy.

Jamestl
28th Sep 2023, 16:17
Good morning all

Following instructions and procedure are key attributes in this line of work. You failed to do that so I assume that’s the reason for rejection.

BA are spoilt for choice in applicants, corner cutting or hoping for the best won’t get you there.

3seatmaniac
28th Sep 2023, 16:23
Re the questions on individual physical presentation, the video interviews - if anything like any other video interview stages for any other employer - won't be looked at by a human. The video interview stage will be automated and will use software to determine appropriate responses based on your speech, not your appearance. There is no harm in cleaning yourself up and dressing smartly, but I wouldn't overthink it and change a look you are comfortable with having and that makes you you at the video interview stage.

Logically, the resources simply are not there to dedicate even a small team of employees to look through thousands of recordings. With video interviews, it is a matter of confidence, clarity, and accuracy of speech, along with mentioning key words and phrases specific to the questions asked that the software will have been pre-programmed to listen out for that will determine success at this stage.

antonani1
28th Sep 2023, 16:30
Not going to moan about it, but I also got rejected today after waiting a few days after the checking test. That's life, will move on and try again next time. Like a lot of people here who also got rejected I thought the skills and qualifications I have would help mould me into the pilot-esque person BA was looking for. I have a 1.1 in Exp. Physics, have worked in CERN on the LHC, speak 2 languages, dual citizenship so 2 passports (brexit and all that hahah), have worked in different countries around the world, but unfortunately I must not have had the BA factor. As i've said thats life and unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. But my downfall is another persons lifelong dream becoming true so there's always positives to take from the negatives! Whether or not you got through to the next stage or not I wish everyone the best of luck in your future endeavours :)

Donut_Ring
28th Sep 2023, 17:21
More likely it was to do with CV and/or your answer to the questions. They have screened applications before sending invites for video interviews.

I guess it must be, it would be nice to know the reason why to get some closure. I checked my CV and to me it looks quite strong considering they only want 5 GCSEs. I’m also confident I got 100% on the checking and numerical tests, hence my confusion, but maybe they just don’t like something about my application.

Best of luck to those who did get selected though.

desertghost
28th Sep 2023, 18:11
Not going to moan about it, but I also got rejected today after waiting a few days after the checking test. That's life, will move on and try again next time. Like a lot of people here who also got rejected I thought the skills and qualifications I have would help mould me into the pilot-esque person BA was looking for. I have a 1.1 in Exp. Physics, have worked in CERN on the LHC, speak 2 languages, dual citizenship so 2 passports (brexit and all that hahah), have worked in different countries around the world, but unfortunately I must not have had the BA factor. As i've said thats life and unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. But my downfall is another persons lifelong dream becoming true so there's always positives to take from the negatives! Whether or not you got through to the next stage or not I wish everyone the best of luck in your future endeavours :)

You may just be overqualified.

FuturePilot_123
28th Sep 2023, 19:01
Good morning all

I wouldn’t take it personally at all. And it doesn’t mean you are not capable of being a commercial pilot. Over the years I’ve realised these opportunities are more luck than anything. I am in a similar position to yourself, and I’ve never had a look in.

It’s just luck of the draw.

Alanga1991
28th Sep 2023, 19:26
Lads and ladies. It’s really as easy as this: BA would have received THOUSANDS of applications for a scheme that was only opened a week. I would even hazard to say minimum TENS of thousands! They can afford to be picky. You don’t submit your 6 GCSEs but submit a DEGREE instead? Cut! Why? Cos they can. But also, you CAN get a degree without having 6 GCSEs. So just cos you have one doesn’t mean you qualify. Don’t tailor your CV to the role/airline. Cut! Why? Cos they can. But also cos you clearly don’t want it enough. Uploading your CV which you last updated last year, regardless of experience doesn’t show preparedness for this role. That’s lazy, sorry. You don’t take time to write, edit and proof-read your 250-word motivation question? Cut! Why? Duh?! Do I need to say more? 🤣🤣 So yes you CAN smash the tests and still not make it just because they’re not only looking for someone who can do 25 Qs in 17mins and can spot a few errors. These are all tests assessing different pilot competencies and behaviours. So anyone unsure as to why they didn’t make it despite ‘smashing’ the tests, that could be why

Chris the Robot
28th Sep 2023, 19:34
Tailoring the CV is never easy, do you try and sell relevant experience or do you base it more around potential? It's similar with the essay question, do you base your answer around things you have done or more hypothetical stuff? I went with solid experience on both occasions and didn't make it through.

Yesterday there was a press release from another airline about their intake, it was all about diversity and the airline seemed to take pride in saying that many of the cadets hadn't been in a light aircraft cockpit till a flight assessment which was part of the recruitment process. I'm not saying BA are necessarily the same but that seems to be where the industry is heading.

Alanga1991
28th Sep 2023, 19:38
Tailoring the CV is never easy, do you try and sell relevant experience or do you base it more around potential? It's similar with the essay question, do you base your answer around things you have done or more hypothetical stuff? I went with solid experience on both occasions and didn't make it through.

Yesterday there was a press release from another airline about their intake, it was all about diversity and the airline seemed to take pride in saying that many of the cadets hadn't been in a light aircraft cockpit till a flight assessment which was part of the recruitment process. I'm not saying BA are necessarily the same but that seems to be where the industry is heading.

which airline is this and where can we read their press release? If it’s TUI I can’t help but laugh. Have you looked at their line-up? If that’s diverse then God help us all.

Chris the Robot
28th Sep 2023, 19:41
https://www.pilotcareernews.com/tui-welcomes-diverse-group-of-new-cadets/

PPRuNeUser0195
28th Sep 2023, 19:43
Lads and ladies. It’s really as easy as this: BA would have received THOUSANDS of applications for a scheme that was only opened a week. I would even hazard to say minimum TENS of thousands! They can afford to be picky. You don’t submit your 6 GCSEs but submit a DEGREE instead? Cut! Why? Cos they can. But also, you CAN get a degree without having 6 GCSEs. So just cos you have one doesn’t mean you qualify. Don’t tailor your CV to the role/airline. Cut! Why? Cos they can. But also cos you clearly don’t want it enough. Uploading your CV which you last updated last year, regardless of experience doesn’t show preparedness for this role. That’s lazy, sorry. You don’t take time to write, edit and proof-read your 250-word motivation question? Cut! Why? Duh?! Do I need to say more? 🤣🤣 So yes you CAN smash the tests and still not make it just because they’re not only looking for someone who can do 25 Qs in 17mins and can spot a few errors. These are all tests assessing different pilot competencies and behaviours. So anyone unsure as to why they didn’t make it despite ‘smashing’ the tests, that could be why

Exactly. Nail on the head. People here are just making excuses because they didn’t put enough effort in. Tailoring a CV is absolute basics, you need to sell yourself at every opportunity and being generic isn’t good enough. Similarly answering why you want to be a pilot with “I’ve always wanted to be a pilot” isn’t good enough. So do the other 10,000 people applying.

Carpflyer82
29th Sep 2023, 00:47
Has anyone completed the video interview on a mobile device such as phone or iPad? Or is it better suited to a laptop/ desktop?

PPRuNeUser0195
29th Sep 2023, 06:20
Hmmm potentially, I would feel very hard done by if that is the case. I had to apply whilst on holiday and one would like to think that if you have a masters degree this would automatically override GCSEs?

They said in their Q&As that it doesn’t, and it specifically said in the application form you must upload GCSE certificates.

mattd75
29th Sep 2023, 07:23
Has anyone completed the video interview on a mobile device such as phone or iPad? Or is it better suited to a laptop/ desktop?

It wouldn’t even let me do it on a computer! Kept saying this is suited for a mobile device and wouldn’t let me move forward!

pilotHS24
29th Sep 2023, 07:23
Does anyone know the next steps, locations, dates etc after video interview if successful?

PPRuNeUser0195
29th Sep 2023, 07:40
bet recruiters gonna think youre an arrogant little **** . Best you work on it mate or you're not getting through either

So tell me what part of that was arrogant exactly?

PPRuNeUser0195
29th Sep 2023, 08:02
I guess it must be, it would be nice to know the reason why to get some closure. I checked my CV and to me it looks quite strong considering they only want 5 GCSEs. I’m also confident I got 100% on the checking and numerical tests, hence my confusion, but maybe they just don’t like something about my application.

At this stage it could be absolutely anything - even grammatical errors. With the competition as strong as it is it everything needs to be perfect sadly. Fortunately they open again in March, so the wait to reapply isn’t too long.

Pilotguy85
29th Sep 2023, 09:33

One of the webinars mentioned about the 6 GCSE thing. It was largely the fact that the ATPL study is similar to the way you study for GCSE level (large amount of content, not tons of depth - unlike at A level). Although the whole aim of the programme is to "remove barriers" - financial or otherwise.

Second factor is the attention to detail, they also mentioned that in webinars. They explicitly said get your CV and motivation Q answer checked by various people as they suggested grammatical errors or other errors would not be looked on favourably. If you want this opportunity, then you'll do anything possible (within reason) to follow their instructions.

Lots of people said "it's not fair I couldn't log in to the webinar as I was at work etc.." - if you wanted the chance of being in this programme, then take the day off work?

With probably 10,000 applicants, they have probably removed 5-7,000 already through SJT, Maths or error checking issues or just refusal for various requirements reasons (not uploading supporting docs possibly? although some have got through without uploading).

Anyone know how many will get through to Waterside interview? I can't imagine they would have capacity for more than 200 being whittled down to 70?

rudestuff
29th Sep 2023, 09:44
I wonder if there is a forum somewhere discussing what numbers people picked and why why didn't win the lottery?

desertghost
29th Sep 2023, 10:14
I wonder if there is a forum somewhere discussing what numbers people picked and why why didn't win the lottery?
haha yes although you don't need to prove 6 GCSEs to buy a lottery ticket!

NeonDuck
29th Sep 2023, 10:33
Good morning all

I like you have two engineering degrees, and I like you didn't upload my GCSE results but instead my BEng and MSc diplomas and I have been given an interview. So I'm going to say its very very unlikely that not uploading your GCSE results is what made you unsuccessful. Hopefully this helps so you can at least eliminate this as a reason? Best of luck, hopefully you can find some clarity! :)

pilotHS24
29th Sep 2023, 10:39
Does anyone know the next steps after video interview and the dates of the next stages? If I get through I'm hoping a pre booked trip mid October won't cause me any issues!

A320R348
30th Sep 2023, 03:29
Does anyone know the next steps after video interview and the dates of the next stages? If I get through I'm hoping a pre booked trip mid October won't cause me any issues!

You skip the what happens next video? Lol

More online assessments, then assessment day 1 with chosen flight school at Waterside, then final assessment day with BA at Waterside.

How long is your trip for? The timeline had been pushed back later than what was originally advertised in the very first Q&A sessions, from Nov offers to Dec offers… so you might be okay

Mafeton
30th Sep 2023, 08:06
Really enjoyed the video interview, very much not what i was expecting or had prepped for, fingers crossed i get to the next stage

Dannyboyblue
30th Sep 2023, 10:46

I did mine yesterday. Started using the iPad but the browser was not recognised. Hurriedly changed to my phone!
​​​​​​​

zeus2023
30th Sep 2023, 10:48
Any thoughts on those who've been accepted into flight school (so can fund themselves through training) who are using that as a backup if they don't get onto the BA scheme? I understand the scheme is not exclusively for those who can't fund themselves but it is heavily targeted towards that demographic.

pilotHS24
30th Sep 2023, 11:59
You skip the what happens next video? Lol

More online assessments, then assessment day 1 with chosen flight school at Waterside, then final assessment day with BA at Waterside.

How long is your trip for? The timeline had been pushed back later than what was originally advertised in the very first Q&A sessions, from Nov offers to Dec offers… so you might be okay

Posted this before I did the interview, so didn’t realise there was a video explaining next steps. Still would be useful to know what dates they have in mind!

Trip is Tues 17th October-Fri 20th October so only a couple of days.

Jamestl
30th Sep 2023, 12:34
Video interview completed. Will be interesting to see how it went, and I’d be very curious about how they assess the clips!

BudgieWings
30th Sep 2023, 16:26
Any thoughts on those who've been accepted into flight school (so can fund themselves through training) who are using that as a backup if they don't get onto the BA scheme? I understand the scheme is not exclusively for those who can't fund themselves but it is heavily targeted towards that demographic.

Interesting discussion point. If the candidate has gone through exactly the same strenuous selection process as everyone else and are chosen at the end based on their abilities, fair play to them. I don't see an issue.

The best part of the scheme is that it levels the playing field. Equal opportunities for all.

PPRuNeUser0195
30th Sep 2023, 16:50

I personally don’t mind, if I was offered the opportunity to have my £100k training paid for and go into a career debt free I wouldn’t think twice!

VariablePitchP
30th Sep 2023, 22:18

Utterly Irrelevant.

It’s about levelling the playing field for everyone, they start asking for P60s at interview and it’s discriminatory the other way.

The idea that someone should turn down the scheme because they could go elsewhere in an act of self sacrifice is also ridiculous.

jimbowingo
1st Oct 2023, 01:04
Exactly. Nail on the head. People here are just making excuses because they didn’t put enough effort in. Tailoring a CV is absolute basics, you need to sell yourself at every opportunity and being generic isn’t good enough. Similarly answering why you want to be a pilot with “I’ve always wanted to be a pilot” isn’t good enough. So do the other 10,000 people applying.

Also on the initial application page, there was a link to a couple of PDFs BA provided with a diagram of all of the qualities & skills BA are looking for in their future pilots. I tailored my CV and 250 word answer to reflect these. I feel lots of people here missed that helpful clue/resource!

Jamestl
1st Oct 2023, 09:18
Utterly Irrelevant.

It’s about levelling the playing field for everyone, they start asking for P60s at interview and it’s discriminatory the other way.

The idea that someone should turn down the scheme because they could go elsewhere in an act of self sacrifice is also ridiculous.

I disagree that it’s irrelevant. The whole point of the process is to attract talent who otherwise could never have previously considered it as an option due to the cost. That’s likely to mean given demographics, that a more diverse group are able to apply given the funding barriers disproportionately affecting BME groups.

That said, the process won’t differentiate between those able to self-fund or not, and it shouldn’t necessarily be a block to someone taking part.

Video Interview stage closes today, I enjoyed taking part and thought it was a pretty novel way of doing things. Fingers crossed my performance was enough to see me through.

zeus2023
1st Oct 2023, 10:46
Oh yeah for sure! I was leaning more towards those who have the funds available, and wouldn't necessarily be in debt though. Ultimately like others have said it is about levelling the field for everyone.

desertghost
1st Oct 2023, 10:52
I disagree that it’s irrelevant. The whole point of the process is to attract talent who otherwise could never have previously considered it as an option due to the cost. That’s likely to mean given demographics, that a more diverse group are able to apply given the funding barriers disproportionately affecting BME groups.

That said, the process won’t differentiate between those able to self-fund or not, and it shouldn’t necessarily be a block to someone taking part.

Video Interview stage closes today, I enjoyed taking part and thought it was a pretty novel way of doing things. Fingers crossed my performance was enough to see me through.
What are BME groups? Why are we all now labelled as being part of a particular group? Surely all that matters is whether you can turn up to work in the correct uniform and fly a plane safely and preferably on time from point A to point B?

zeus2023
1st Oct 2023, 11:24
Well said!

I wonder if these circumstances would actually sway against the applicant, as it is the same school that BA is using, they may choose to communicate with them a repeated application.

Either way, I wish everyone the best of luck and hope that it's not much longer until you hear back from BA! :cool:

PPRuNeUser0195
1st Oct 2023, 11:29

It is completely irrelevant, that’s the whole point of the scheme - to make the financial side of things irrelevant and not a factor in decision making. It’s a scheme open to everyone, regardless of age, gender, qualifications, ethnicity or financial situation.

Mafeton
1st Oct 2023, 11:40
Also on the initial application page, there was a link to a couple of PDFs BA provided with a diagram of all of the qualities & skills BA are looking for in their future pilots. I tailored my CV and 250 word answer to reflect these. I feel lots of people here missed that helpful clue/resource!
Don't suppose you've got these to hand still?

Jamestl
1st Oct 2023, 11:53
It is completely irrelevant, that’s the whole point of the scheme - to make the financial side of things irrelevant and not a factor in decision making. It’s a scheme open to everyone, regardless of age, gender, qualifications, ethnicity or financial situation.

Yes it is a scheme open to everyone, but you’re misunderstanding why. It’s to help bolster the ability for the poorest to become BA aircrew. The poorest sections of society are from BME backgrounds. You’re more likely to be from a poverty effected family if you’re of Bangladeshi, Pakistani or Black African decent - it’s removing THE biggest of barriers for these groups.

It doesn’t of course mean these groups are most likely to succeed in application, although it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s been some positive action in these communities to encourage applicants and to support them.

PPRuNeUser0195
1st Oct 2023, 12:11
Yes it is a scheme open to everyone, but you’re misunderstanding why. It’s to help bolster the ability for the poorest to become BA aircrew. The poorest sections of society are from BME backgrounds. You’re more likely to be from a poverty effected family if you’re of Bangladeshi, Pakistani or Black African decent - it’s removing THE biggest of barriers for these groups.

It doesn’t of course mean these groups are most likely to succeed in application, although it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s been some positive action in these communities to encourage applicants and to support them.

No it isn’t. The scheme is to attract the best talent regardless of financial status. The best talent may come from an underrepresented community, but they may also come from a community that is already well represented. It is to remove barriers and make it an opportunity for all. There is a big difference between removing barriers to enable it an opportunity for all, and suggesting those with money aren’t the people BA want to target.

Jamestl
1st Oct 2023, 12:51
No it isn’t. The scheme is to attract the best talent regardless of financial status. The best talent may come from an underrepresented community, but they may also come from a community that is already well represented. It is to remove barriers and make it an opportunity for all. There is a big difference between removing barriers to enable it an opportunity for all, and suggesting those with money aren’t the people BA want to target.

Which groups of people are most likely to be affected by the removal of the barrier? Answer that, and you’ve got your answer as to why it’s happening. Yes, BA undoubtedly get to pick the cream of the crop, they’re spending millions of pounds and will have significant interest from a broad spectrum of people, but this will be a corporate decision about increasing representation as well as recruiting a core of quality candidates. I think that’s an entirely fair and noble decision for the organisation.

If you were in any doubt about that intention then here;

’BA is working closely with Fantasy Wings, an organisation working towards diversity in aviation and a member of the BA Better World Community Fund, to promote the scheme to young people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, other communities around the country and young women.’

Jamestl
1st Oct 2023, 12:53
What are BME groups? Why are we all now labelled as being part of a particular group? Surely all that matters is whether you can turn up to work in the correct uniform and fly a plane safely and preferably on time from point A to point B?

Just in case you don’t know - Black and Minority Ethnic communities.

Of course the overarching principle should be safety - competency is key to that, but representation and inclusivity in an organisation the size of BA is the right thing to do.

PPRuNeUser0195
1st Oct 2023, 13:02
Which groups of people are most likely to be affected by the removal of the barrier? Answer that, and you’ve got your answer as to why it’s happening. Yes, BA undoubtedly get to pick the cream of the crop, they’re spending millions of pounds and will have significant interest from a broad spectrum of people, but this will be a corporate decision about increasing representation as well as recruiting a core of quality candidates. I think that’s an entirely fair and noble decision for the organisation.

If you were in any doubt about that intention then here;

’BA is working closely with Fantasy Wings, an organisation working towards diversity in aviation and a member of the BA Better World Community Fund, to promote the scheme to young people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, other communities around the country and young women.’

I think you’re missing the point. Yes they are taking positive action and rightly so, but this scheme isn’t specifically targeting them. BA will be taking the top 70 people, regardless of what background they’re from. They have the ability to choose the best and that is what they will do. If that happens to be a higher percentage from underrepresented backgrounds then that’s because they’re the ones who did best through the application process and nothing more.

firstlast5
1st Oct 2023, 19:28
Hello guys!! I was just trying to find out more info on the Speedbird programme when I stumbled upon this website pprune? I read all of the comments here (nearly 500) and I just wanted to inform some people about things they said in earlier comments. I have no idea how this site quote thing works so I'll just say some stuff and the relevant people can read and understand that what they claim probably isn't the case. I'm still in sixth form, not 18 yet but will be just before the speed bird training starts (I'm eligible, I promise) and just finished applying to universities but I thought I might just give this programme a shot since why not? I've always wanted to be a pilot and I guess this opportunity is perfect for me, the only problem I had is that I would have to drop out of sixth form and not get to take A-levels IF accepted :/ It's a huuge shame since I'm predicted 3 A* and aiming for Oxford but I'm not worrying too much since I don't really think I'll get through the entire process. This would just be my first try at something new like a pilot scholarship which I could write in my CV just as I already have for some degree apprenticeships I've applied for. I should mention that I didn't even have a CV before the application process haha. I made one super quick using Canva and just filled it with stuff so I could apply for this programme. Certainly nothing like "tailoring" it as some peeps above have done (how do you even do that??). There was talk above regarding the qualifications attached in the documents section. I only uploaded my GCSE certificates (not like I have any other qualifications...) and my brand spanking new CV which idk if they read. BUT my 250 word motivation writing was really good although I didn't have much under my belt considering my age and lack of experience. All I had to say was Air Cadets and that is it but I did make it really fancy and well sounding. That's the first application stage done!! The testing stage was also really good, someone earlier here said that they don't believe the first test on SJ is untimed and that they probably have a secret timer to reduce applicants who take too long by searching questions up...I don't think so. Once I saw it was untimed I didn't bother sitting it in 1 go, I was just doing questions here and there and by the end of this rather quick test, I actually hit the 1 hour mark lol. Nothing happened though, I moved on to maths. Maths is my strong suit so 99% sure it was a 25/25 with time to spare. Then the checking test, since you had to do as many questions as possible within the time frame, of course it wasn't 'finishable', the further you got, the better. In response to someone above, I think I answered around 15-20 questions for the checking test. After each test, they instantly invited me to take the next one until it was all done. Someone above also said they think anyone who applied a bit late would get auto-rejected because BA would've had soo many applications already and wouldn't want anymore so would've cut the process off (he claimed this cuz the person was insta rejected after the 1st SJ test which he did really late)...I don't agree. I sent off my application at 16:03 on the FINAL day of the application window but I still progressed to the video interview which I got the email for less than a day later (because I applied so late). This means their point doesn't really stand. Since I got the email on Monday, I had to wait until the weekend to do it since I had school and after-school classes. Oh, this reminds me that the person who said they had an "internal source" who told them how anyone in full-time education gets auto-rejected, is just spouting rubbish. I'm in full-time education but I'm here aren't I? Anyway I did the interview today at midnight lmao. I wonder if they can see what time I did it. Trying to do a video interview is quite tough when you have 4 siblings and a loud family constantly making noise, so late at night was my only option. I think I smashed it!! You get 2 tries per question and it was genuinely so funnn. At first, I applied because I met all the requirements and 14 people texted me about this opportunity but now I'm really enjoying the process. Maybe not creating a CV in a day but definitely the exercises in the interview. That roleplay was fantastic although I stuttered twice haha. Not to mention the 2nd task. I attended a lecture at Cambridge on that topic earlier this year and that helped me answer the question where I talked about really fancy plane mechanics and instability, amazing question. There are a few hours left until the video interview deadline is over so I think it's safe for me to post this as I doubt anyone who hasn't still done their interview would see this. The best part of the whole thing was they let you redo it if you made a mistake or if it wasn't good enough for you. I've only ever done 3 interviews before but this was the first time I was allowed to redo a question and it helpedddd sooo muchh. I keep improving after every interview and I'm happy to have applied regardless of the outcome that awaits me. I really enjoyed this experience as I learnt so much and this will certainly be helpful for my 4th, 5th and any future interviews I may have. Tbh I'm not even sure if I'll accept their offer if I somehow pass through the stages since I really want to do my A levels. I want to get as far as possible to learn exactly how this process works and then maybe reapply properly next year to actually get in (or just go uni ig), we'll see. But this will be something I'll definitely mention in my CV for the future. Hope I gave some of you people an extra perspective. To be completely honest it's kinda intimidating knowing I'm up against older people with tons of experience and whatnot when I'm not even a legal adult haha..I've only ever competed against my own age group so it'd be interesting to see how I fare against everybody else, especially in the next irl group interview stage if I make it. I really hope to meet other teens there rather than just older folk so I can make some friends and actually be comfortable. Best of luck!!

parkfell
1st Oct 2023, 19:28
Pleased to see BA have resumed full sponsorship.
A brief reminder of history. What is now BA, operated full sponsorships at Hamble which came to an end in (?)1973/4 as the oil crisis with the UK 3 day week caused serious economic implications.
It wasn’t until 1987 that the scheme restarted at Oxford & British Aerospace Flying College, Prestwick.
Students were chosen on merit where the ability to fund it was not an issue.
They were paid £27pw pocket money staying in residential accommodation.
Courses of 16 started each month on a 16 month course. The final month was what is now MCC/APS.
Then to BA for the type rating etc
The first Gulf War in August 1990 caused a rethink of the scheme, ending 2 years later with BA flight engineers retrained as pilots.

This new scheme will also choose individuals based on merit.
Individuals are trying to read all sorts of ‘social engineering’ aspects into the selection process.
It is simply not in BA interests to operate any form of quotas as this by definition will increase the failure rate.

And finally as a possible contentious point, the final decision to select from the pool of suitable candidates are best done by pilots & not HR.
“Light blue touch paper & retire”

RichardH
1st Oct 2023, 21:50
parkfell, probably the best post on this whole long saga where several posts are nothing but pure speculation. Agree about HR = Hardly Relevant.

BA did actually run a sponsorship around 1998 up to 9/11 (2001). As a theory instructor at the time I thought the better selection was the old British Midland, yes the majority of the BA were great but you had to question a couple of the selections for a number of reasons (obvious from week 1), they were often chopped during the course. Remember the BA flight engineers, a delight to instruct with their vast experience.

As somebody else with years of aviation experience stated at the end of day this sponsorship though welcome is still a lottery with no guarantees, I was there when BA cancelled a course 48 hours after 9/11.

parkfell
1st Oct 2023, 22:24
Hello guys!! I was just trying to find out more info on the Speedbird programme when I stumbled upon this website pprune? I read all of the comments here (nearly 500) and I just wanted to inform some people about things they said in earlier comments. I have no idea how this site quote thing works so I'll just say some stuff and the relevant people can read and understand that what they claim probably isn't the case. I'm still in sixth form, not 18 yet but will be just before the speed bird training starts (I'm eligible, I promise) and just finished applying to universities but I thought I might just give this programme a shot since why not?….!!

Although I appreciate that you are new to PPRuNe, your mini version of war & peace takes some reading due to the lack of paragraphs.
Think about presentation?

At the age of 18 the chances of being accepted are probably slim unless you are really something very special aka “ace of the base”.
Go to university, join the UAS, complete your degree (avoid the underwater basket weaving variants) & if your passion for aviation remains reapply.
I suspect BA are short of flightdeck crews given the opportunity for DEP LHS, & will remain so for some time.

Vicjnr
2nd Oct 2023, 05:47
Since the interviews sections are completed. I just wanted to ask if any of you were able to record whilst seeing the passenger announcement on screen? Whilst recording the camera function took up my whole screen.

PPRuNeUser0195
2nd Oct 2023, 08:42
Since the interviews sections are completed. I just wanted to ask if any of you were able to record whilst seeing the passenger announcement on screen? Whilst recording the camera function took up my whole screen.

I tried to memorise it in case that happened and so I could try and look like I wasn’t just reading a script and inevitably ended up getting some bits out of order. Hoping my answers to the questions afterwards saves me! Wasn’t what I was expecting at all.

Pilotguy85
2nd Oct 2023, 08:59
Since the interviews sections are completed. I just wanted to ask if any of you were able to record whilst seeing the passenger announcement on screen? Whilst recording the camera function took up my whole screen. Yes, mine stayed as it was but tried to memorise anyway as I expected it to be removed.

I read in/on another forum/website speech recognition may be used to check on how many words were not able to be picked up by the software or how many words out of place.

Does anyone know how long it will be for the processing of the videos?

Airplane987
2nd Oct 2023, 09:55
Since the interviews sections are completed. I just wanted to ask if any of you were able to record whilst seeing the passenger announcement on screen? Whilst recording the camera function took up my whole screen. That's unfortunate, I was able to see the message and read it off the screen, although similarly to Aj2017 I took notes beforehand just in case it disappeared. I still made two errors anyway, so don't worry!

FuturePilot23
2nd Oct 2023, 10:47
Did anyone receive a confirmation email following submission of the video interview? I haven't and so worried that this hasn't landed.

Mafeton
2nd Oct 2023, 11:09
For the first part it was meant to be visible, might be worth and email to them

zeeeee123
2nd Oct 2023, 12:50
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure age doesn't matter and you stand an equal chance to the rest of us, usually airlines actually prefer younger candidates. All you need is a love of aviation!
I say, if you would enjoy it then go for it!
If you would still like to do A levels, im sure you can work your way around it.
A levels, depend on the subject you take will run from May - June, only around 2 months after the course starts. I say you could give it your best shot and sit your a levels while continuing the course, make sure you use these next few months to really solidify and revise for your a levels so that you are confident by the time the course starts.

However, if this doesnt work, you could always sit your a levels in summer 2024, after the course has complete.

It is good to have A levels, as a backup, so i'd say you should still focus on your a levels, and see how everything goes! If you really want this I'm sure you can try manage both at the same time.

Best of luck.

Jamestl
2nd Oct 2023, 13:12
I tried to memorise it in case that happened and so I could try and look like I wasn’t just reading a script and inevitably ended up getting some bits out of order. Hoping my answers to the questions afterwards saves me! Wasn’t what I was expecting at all.

I used the practice session and 4 minutes to set my screen up with it split so I could see the camera feed and the script in full. A delay of a second or two from pressing record.

Now it’s closed I’m very interested to know thoughts on how they’re assessing. I didn’t stumble over words, and tried not to be monotone in delivery of the PA script.

Questions I thought were good;

I said it’s about offering customers reassurance and keeping them informed so they feel valued.

Icing I talked briefly about compromising the efficiency of the wing to generate lift, could be catastrophic to safety of the aircraft so absolutely necessary.

Not that I needed them but I’d also made note on the script so the answers for flight number, time delay for icing and lost passengers were all fine too.

Good luck all.