View Full Version : Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Speedbird2712
26th Apr 2024, 21:44
I received the email to complete the PA exercise on Wednesday, I’m under the impression I have until Saturday (23:59) to complete this, I’m just wondering does the email stating ‘register’ take you straight onto the recording section, or do we have to register and then take the interview at a convenient time before the deadline?

Thanks in advance

Chris the Robot
26th Apr 2024, 22:14
Appreciate the reply. I know some of us might get slated for asking about salary so early on but as you’ve said, we need to see if this is realistically feasible for us as all of our circumstances are different.

I’ve obviously had a good read through the FAQ and other BA documents, am I right in thinking they that for the first 6 years, you’ll only be doing short haul flights and by short haul is that all around Europe? After six years, you can then transfer to long haul where you’ll get to go to Asia, Africa and Americas? Is it like the railway where senior links get the “better” and longer distance work? Thanks again

I start with a very big caveat that I don't work for BA but that from scouring PPRuNe and PPJN and speaking to a few people, I've gathered the following info. Some of it might be a bit out of date, after all the airline world is fairly dynamic, it's really intended as a rough guide.

My understanding is that at LGW or LHR you'll be on the A320 series and if posted to LCY you'll be on the Embraer 190. There is a fleet freeze for I think around 5 or 6 years, so you won't be going any further from the UK than North Africa or the Middle East during that time as things stand.

Seniority is where it all gets a bit complicated. On the railway as you'll know we have links and each link has a fixed roster so at most places you know what your days off are months ahead. When your seniority reaches a certain number you move into the link above, the higher links having better work etc.

BA's system seems to be much more fluid, if you're at LHR or LGW, you'll have a place on the Master Seniority List (MSL) Rather than having links, you bid for the trips you want and the most senior pilot on fleet (aircraft type) and seat (captain or first officer) gets first preference followed by the next senior and so on until you reach the bottom. I think the following month's roster is published midway through the month. I believe you have a certain number of "golden days" or something to that effect which are days you can nominate to be guaranteed off. Therefore you generally can't plan ahead as often at BA as you can on the railway unless you're very senior compared to others on the same fleet and in the same seat. On the plus side, it's possibly easier to bid for permanent earlies or lates, depending on seniority. There's also the additional dynamic of overnight trips thrown in. Some people prefer day trips, some prefer spending multiple nights away from home etc.

Aircraft fleets vary in seniority, I believe the current time to command (captaincy) on the Airbus A320 after passing a command assessment is very short, whereas on the Boeing 777 it's much longer, close to twenty years. Most airlines will require at least a few years as a first officer before you get the experience to go through the command upgrade process. It's not a process everyone is guaranteed to pass. You bid for fleet and seat by seniority and I believe that there are a couple of windows a year in which to bid. I think there is a freeze after you move, like changing depots on the railway the additional training costs the airline money and they want a return on investment.

BA LHR has a 34-point salary scale which you've probably seen on PPJN. LGW has a different scale where I think the maximum pay is capped around year 12. LGW currently has a single fleet (A320 series).

At LHR, a long-haul captain's role would be analogous with top-link work on the railway.

You'll have noticed I haven't really mentioned BA CityFlyer yet. BACF is effectively treated as a separate company, as far as I'm aware they aren't part of the MSL, so time spent here doesn't count towards seniority at LHR or LGW. They have a single aircraft type, so I presume seniority is less complicated. I don't have much of an inkling as to how their rostering system works. My understanding is that you have to apply as an external candidate if you want to go to LHR or LGW but you skip part of the early application process.

Of course the above could all change, maybe some of it has already and it possibly will in the next few years (the airline world can change very quickly) but from my research that's pretty much how it seems. I'd very much welcome input from anyone who has first-hand experience of the system.

fawes786
26th Apr 2024, 22:18
Hey guys ! nice to know I'm not the only one. I've heard some people got rejections straight after the checking test, other people got the audio assessment straight after and then there are a few people like us who are just waiting to learn our fate just a bit longer haha. I did my checking test on Sunday last week and thought I would hear by Friday 26th the latest! Will keep you all posted, stay positive :)

HighSpeedTrainDriver
26th Apr 2024, 22:57
I start with a very big caveat that I don't work for BA but that from scouring PPRuNe and PPJN and speaking to a few people, I've gathered the following info. Some of it might be a bit out of date, after all the airline world is fairly dynamic, it's really intended as a rough guide.

My understanding is that at LGW or LHR you'll be on the A320 series and if posted to LCY you'll be on the Embraer 190. There is a fleet freeze for I think around 5 or 6 years, so you won't be going any further from the UK than North Africa or the Middle East during that time as things stand.

Seniority is where it all gets a bit complicated. On the railway as you'll know we have links and each link has a fixed roster so at most places you know what your days off are months ahead. When your seniority reaches a certain number you move into the link above, the higher links having better work etc.

BA's system seems to be much more fluid, if you're at LHR or LGW, you'll have a place on the Master Seniority List (MSL) Rather than having links, you bid for the trips you want and the most senior pilot on fleet (aircraft type) and seat (captain or first officer) gets first preference followed by the next senior and so on until you reach the bottom. I think the following month's roster is published midway through the month. I believe you have a certain number of "golden days" or something to that effect which are days you can nominate to be guaranteed off. Therefore you generally can't plan ahead as often at BA as you can on the railway unless you're very senior compared to others on the same fleet and in the same seat. On the plus side, it's possibly easier to bid for permanent earlies or lates, depending on seniority. There's also the additional dynamic of overnight trips thrown in. Some people prefer day trips, some prefer spending multiple nights away from home etc.

Aircraft fleets vary in seniority, I believe the current time to command (captaincy) on the Airbus A320 after passing a command assessment is very short, whereas on the Boeing 777 it's much longer, close to twenty years. Most airlines will require at least a few years as a first officer before you get the experience to go through the command upgrade process. It's not a process everyone is guaranteed to pass. You bid for fleet and seat by seniority and I believe that there are a couple of windows a year in which to bid. I think there is a freeze after you move, like changing depots on the railway the additional training costs the airline money and they want a return on investment.

BA LHR has a 34-point salary scale which you've probably seen on PPJN. LGW has a different scale where I think the maximum pay is capped around year 12. LGW currently has a single fleet (A320 series).

At LHR, a long-haul captain's role would be analogous with top-link work on the railway.

You'll have noticed I haven't really mentioned BA CityFlyer yet. BACF is effectively treated as a separate company, as far as I'm aware they aren't part of the MSL, so time spent here doesn't count towards seniority at LHR or LGW. They have a single aircraft type, so I presume seniority is less complicated. I don't have much of an inkling as to how their rostering system works. My understanding is that you have to apply as an external candidate if you want to go to LHR or LGW but you skip part of the early application process.

Of course the above could all change, maybe some of it has already and it possibly will in the next few years (the airline world can change very quickly) but from my research that's pretty much how it seems. I'd very much welcome input from anyone who has first-hand experience of the system.

Fantastic - appreciate the detailed reply, thanks!

chris09
26th Apr 2024, 23:28
How did everyone find the pax announcement? I only used a minute out of 2 for the first part (I did provide all the info given and don’t think I spoke too quickly) so im a bit worried, wonder how much everyone else took?

I think I took about 1:30/1:40 but this was the 4th and final attempt so I lost count a bit 😂

ted_striker87
27th Apr 2024, 07:46
Hey guys ! nice to know I'm not the only one. I've heard some people got rejections straight after the checking test, other people got the audio assessment straight after and then there are a few people like us who are just waiting to learn our fate just a bit longer haha. I did my checking test on Sunday last week and thought I would hear by Friday 26th the latest! Will keep you all posted, stay positive :)

Hey, I took my checking test yesterday, didn't get a rejection straight away which I hope is a good sign. But also on the screen before the checking test there was a line that said something along the lines of "Please note this is the final assessment and it may take 4-5 working days for us to respond to you this time". I have not done a PA announcement yet,

Zardoz_x
27th Apr 2024, 08:42
I've just completed the detail checking test, and I must say I found it difficult. I've answered 7 and pretty sure I got 1 wrong plus 1 of them was a bit confusing so I picked the surname if you've done this you know what I mean. I'll be super lucky if I go through, I guess it's the painful modular route for me. Does anyone know what the Salary is for BA Direct Entry Pilots?

TOPS
27th Apr 2024, 10:02
Hi all, just a quick question I was invited to the Audio Recording test on Wednesday according to the below I would have until Saturday 23.59 to complete, right? I caught a really bad Flu and my voice sounds horrendous!

‘Just like the online tests, you have been allocated 3 full calendar days from now to complete this (e.g. if you are invited to this on a Thursday, you have until 23:59 on Sunday to complete it).’
With the online tests you had 2 days to complete. If you were invited anytime on Thursday, you had until 2359 on Saturday to complete.
But with this Audio test, it looks like you have an extra day - so if you were invited anytime on Thursday, you now have until 2359 on Sunday to complete.

In your case, you received on Wednesday, so you have until 2359 Saturday to complete - lots of lozengers, and have some tea and honey to loosen up and warm up those vocal chords!

Zardoz_x
27th Apr 2024, 10:19
The instructions for this were quite ambiguous in my opinion, led to the loss of valuable time to anyone who made this consideration and I suspect it was not part of the objective to trip applicants through this lack of clarity. Though, I guess it won't bother them as long as they get a bell curve to cull a great many and have enough that passed the threshold.

To my detriment, I started second-guessing myself and changing my answer on at least one question. This was after reading this forum, otherwise I don't think I would have considered it in time and just went with the first value in the row as the check row identifier. Anything we impart about info that can only stem from doing the test is essentially a clue, despite our efforts, but this shows that it can both help and hinder.

After this stage is complete, it would be interesting to poll how the successful approached this e.g. Checked correctness by:

1. using surname to identify row and then compare all other values against same row
2. used first value in table to identify row and then compare all other values against same row
3. compared against row with most matching values and determined exceptions from this
4. checked column by column and if value appeared in any column, deemed correct i.e. entire table check
5. checked for correctness against some other criteriaI only managed to get to that question and lost quite a bit of time on it. Initially, I based my approach on the surname, but then I changed my strategy. I’ve answered 7 questions and am pretty sure I got 1 wrong. Hopefully, I still manage to get through.

Best of luck to everyone, and I hope you succeed! 🌟

Asad_325
27th Apr 2024, 10:25
Absolutely gutted for myself and others who have failed the checking test, especially for us who would have been an amazing fit for BA. The most annoying thing is how ruthless the removal of applicants is in the online assessment phases.

I had good internet but for some reason the columns to compare to were appearing a few seconds after the actual question appeared, casing further confusion and for me to only complete 9 of the 12 questions.

That being said, congratulations to all of you who got through to the PA, a massive well done!

My dream has been halted for another year by the sounds of it.

Sajymundo
27th Apr 2024, 11:27
Didn't complete the checking test, think I was 1 question short.

Got rejection email today. Oh well lesson learned - answer faster next time! Lol

weep
27th Apr 2024, 11:43
Made it onto the passenger announcement! I think it was the hardest section because its quite a different format and whereas I had done math's tests previously this was completely new! I think 100% View some example passenger announcements before you complete the task

oneredpanther
27th Apr 2024, 13:27
I think I completely screwed up the announcement. I didn't see the countdown timer that auto-submits your first answer if you don't click re-record in time, because my screen is small and my notepad was in the way. So my first completely fluffed practice where I stopped talking halfway through was the one that was submitted. Absolutely gutted and not sure what to do about it. To come all this way and probably bomb out due to a website interface rather than ability would be a shame.

weep
27th Apr 2024, 13:33
I think I completely screwed up the announcement. I didn't see the countdown timer that auto-submits your first answer if you don't click re-record in time, because my screen is small and my notepad was in the way. So my first completely fluffed practice where I stopped talking halfway through was the one that was submitted. Absolutely gutted and not sure what to do about it.

Ah fingers crossed. I had this issue too, as I was rewatching my first draft by the time I noticed the countdown it was too late to re-attempt. At best we can just go again next year.

petersimonpurse
27th Apr 2024, 17:34
I think I completely screwed up the announcement. I didn't see the countdown timer that auto-submits your first answer if you don't click re-record in time, because my screen is small and my notepad was in the way. So my first completely fluffed practice where I stopped talking halfway through was the one that was submitted. Absolutely gutted and not sure what to do about it. To come all this way and probably bomb out due to a website interface rather than ability would be a shame.

Hey don't worry I was the exact same, Even on the second part I realised but i felt my 4th attempt was worse than my first. Remember the chances are BA will look at your entire application not just the PA announcement. I am sure you did better than you think!

elkchocolate
27th Apr 2024, 18:04

If it makes you feel better, you weren't the only one. I didn't see the auto-submit timer at the bottom either so my first attempt on the first question was the one that has ended up being submitted. I'm really quite upset by it as I was very happy with my answer, but not happy with the way I delivered it at all. I think my recording ends completely randomly without me having conveyed all the messages they wanted.

I was happy enough with the second answer but I suspect it was done and dusted after the mistake on the first one. Same issue as you in that the screen was too small and I didn't see the auto-timer. Very poor interface.

Ah well, I'm pleased I made it this far. Hopefully if I'm lucky enough to make it through again for next years batch I'll know what to do properly. Good luck to everyone involved!

AlessandroCoglione
27th Apr 2024, 19:43
Hi, I just complete the checking test unfortunately I thought too much about the last even though I had time to spare, and I didn't click on "next" one time so I might have one error. For those who passed the checking test successfully. Is there someone that passed and got at least 11/12 ? And how did you answered to the "rows" questions ? Good luck y'all

A320R348
27th Apr 2024, 22:05
According to the zoom calls they look at your application answer and cv after completing the three initial screening tests.

I got timed out just as I was clicking on my final checking test answer so don't even think it was selected, but still managed to get through to the PA announcement. If you got the others right there's still hope.

27th Apr 2024, 22:13
Looking at the previous selection information and threads, you should be able to find that the in-person assessments are the aptitude tests with the flight schools. You will get placed into one of the two flight schools (FTE Jerez or Skyborne), and then you have a date to choose from. On the day of the assessment, there will be aptitude tests to complete. If you pass this stage, then you will be invited to the British Airways Assessment.

Any idea what the aptitude test entails please?

ZaraH
28th Apr 2024, 10:43
Hi All,

Just trying to understand where I went wrong. Does this email mean I passed the checking test but failed the application? Are you specifically told if you fail the checking test? Thanks.

Thank you for completing our testing for the role of Speedbird Pilot Academy . We greatly appreciate the time and effort you've put in.

Unfortunately, we've decided not to progress your application on this occasion. We appreciate this may be disappointing news.

Should you wish to try again for the same or a similar role, you will need to wait six months from the date of your assessment. However, you can apply for a different role at any time.

oneredpanther
28th Apr 2024, 11:21
According to the zoom calls they look at your application answer and cv after completing the three initial screening tests.

I got timed out just as I was clicking on my final checking test answer so don't even think it was selected, but still managed to get through to the PA announcement. If you got the others right there's still hope.
From what I'm hearing, I think most/all people got timed out on the last Checking answer, whether they hit submit or not.

L12345
28th Apr 2024, 11:46
Did anyone else get an invitation to the public announcement with another email saying the original email was sent in error?

aviation_exp
28th Apr 2024, 11:48
No, I completed my checking with 45 seconds to spare and didn't get timed out.

flying0304
28th Apr 2024, 12:01
Hi, I completed the checking test on Sunday 21st and still haven’t heard anything back? Has anyone else had the same thing? Thank you:)

Oasis
28th Apr 2024, 12:17
Hi All,

Just trying to understand where I went wrong. Does this email mean I passed the checking test but failed the application? Are you specifically told if you fail the checking test? Thanks.

Thank you for completing our testing for the role of Speedbird Pilot Academy . We greatly appreciate the time and effort you've put in.

Unfortunately, we've decided not to progress your application on this occasion. We appreciate this may be disappointing news.

Should you wish to try again for the same or a similar role, you will need to wait six months from the date of your assessment. However, you can apply for a different role at any time.

Good question, I had the same email. Is it the standard email you get when you mess up the last online test or something else?

jsmith98
28th Apr 2024, 12:19
Sorry to hear you havent progressed.

Unfortunately you are not informed if it's the checking test of the Motivational Question and CV.

Some have said that who got the rejection email within 24 hours of the checking test - was due to not passing the checking test. If its more than 24 hours than they have reviewed the application and then sent out the email.

A learning experience for sure - use it and apply again in the future!

jsmith98
28th Apr 2024, 12:20
From my understanding a variety of Math/Physics assessments and tests from the CUT-E suite.

RossM
28th Apr 2024, 13:12
I think the general consensus is that if you received the email the day after the checking test, you failed the checking test and if it was recieved a couple of days later then its the application.

icedchailatte
28th Apr 2024, 13:13
Hi guys i’ve been seeing people on the internet claiming that we can only ever apply to this program three times… I’ve already applied twice and if this is the case, then i’ve only got one shot left. Can anyone confirm?? or is this a rumor ?? The Ba website doesn’t say anything about this.

Oasis
28th Apr 2024, 13:22
Hi guys i’ve been seeing people on the internet claiming that we can only ever apply to this program three times… I’ve already applied twice and if this is the case, then i’ve only got one shot left. Can anyone confirm?? or is this a rumor ?? The Ba website doesn’t say anything about this.

easy fix: change your sex and name, get facial reconstruction in Bolivia.

BA hate this one trick...

RingleRider
28th Apr 2024, 13:29

and ask them to remove all data they have on you, as a right to be forgotten under GDPR rules

Chris the Robot
28th Apr 2024, 13:41

Would you suggest they Roll With It or would you advise that they Don't Look Back in Anger?

Oasis
28th Apr 2024, 14:17
Would you suggest they Roll With It or would you advise that they Don't Look Back in Anger?

At BA, "Some Might Say" , "Whatever", after you've taken your first flight on their "Electric" and "Supersonic" jet into the "Morning Glory", without "Falling Down"

Banksy83
28th Apr 2024, 14:21
So on Friday I received my congratulations email to say I'd progressed from the checking test to the Audio Passenger Announcement. Then approximately 15 minutes later a following email to say they'd sent it in error. However I haven't received any other emails, or a "We won't be progressing any further". The issue I have is that if I have got through to the passenger announcement, which doesn't show on my BA Portal, the 3 days from the congratulations runs out 23.59 tomorrow (Monday 29th). I've emailed various BA emails, including the academy email, and also contacted Guy Bowen on LinkedIn. He did say he'd look into it, just hoping he sticks to his word. At present I'm in limbo and really puzzled what's happening.

nadster
28th Apr 2024, 17:22
Just finished the math test! Rushed through as was conscious that others had run out of time, and somehow managed to complete with 3 mins remaining... hoping that does not end up coming back to bite me!!

For those that have already received outcomes do you know whether they give an indication of how well you did in each of the tests?

ParkBrkSet
28th Apr 2024, 17:47
Relief...just got the email invite for the PA session which was a surprise as I didn't realise they were processing over the weekend. Just to ease some peoples mind, I too ran out of time to submit my answer for the final error checking question (although I had selected the answer).
With regards to the PA recordings, it mentions you have a set time to record your annocument, but you get multiple attempts. Does it mean you have to record all attempts within the stated time, or you get the stated time for each attempt?

Ara.
28th Apr 2024, 19:07
So on Friday I received my congratulations email to say I'd progressed from the checking test to the Audio Passenger Announcement. Then approximately 15 minutes later a following email to say they'd sent it in error. However I haven't received any other emails, or a "We won't be progressing any further". The issue I have is that if I have got through to the passenger announcement, which doesn't show on my BA Portal, the 3 days from the congratulations runs out 23.59 tomorrow (Monday 29th). I've emailed various BA emails, including the academy email, and also contacted Guy Bowen on LinkedIn. He did say he'd look into it, just hoping he sticks to his word. At present I'm in limbo and really puzzled what's happening. same situation here, very weird.

Banksy83
28th Apr 2024, 19:35
Just finished the math test! Rushed through as was conscious that others had run out of time, and somehow managed to complete with 3 mins remaining... hoping that does not end up coming back to bite me!!

For those that have already received outcomes do you know whether they give an indication of how well you did in each of the tests?

Unfortunately they don't let you know how well you did, just that you passed to the next stage

MB12
28th Apr 2024, 19:46
So I am out of the running after completing the checking test unfortunately. I felt pretty confident about that test so I am wondering if I may have been rejected on the basis of CV/motivation.

I wondered if anyone who has been progressed would be happy to share some information on their motivations and what they have done outside of the application which demonstrates it?

This is the second time I have passed at the assessments and then been rejected (probably) on the basis of my career history and/or motivation, so I'd be keen to get an idea of what other people are doing which I could potentially do before the next cadet programme opens up.

Oasis
28th Apr 2024, 20:14
So I am out of the running after completing the checking test unfortunately. I felt pretty confident about that test so I am wondering if I may have been rejected on the basis of CV/motivation.

I wondered if anyone who has been progressed would be happy to share some information on their motivations and what they have done outside of the application which demonstrates it?

This is the second time I have passed at the assessments and then been rejected (probably) on the basis of my career history and/or motivation, so I'd be keen to get an idea of what other people are doing which I could potentially do before the next cadet programme opens up.

How long did it take from your test to the rejection. Was there enough time for someone to go over your motivation and cv?

Oasis
28th Apr 2024, 20:23
Just a general message for anyone here being succesful. Well done and good luck for the next stage!

For the unsuccessful, don't take it personally, the tests and the result are not a reflection of you suitabilty of being a great airline pilot. They have to bring the numbers from 20 thousand (I read somewhere) down to 100.

They will be cut-throat, because they have to be.
There are many way you can achieve you goal without this free golden ticket, some of which may include an only-fans account, robbing a bank or marrying in into money. Joking aside, this just means you didn't win the lottery, not a reflection of your possible future airmanship.

The only thing that can stop you is you.

GuillaumeB
28th Apr 2024, 20:46
Hey guys,
I got an invitation today to take the math test.
Could someone tell me a little more about this test? Are the questions difficult or rather simple (what kind of questions), is the time manageable (17min for 25 questions)?
You can contact me by private message if it is easier

Thanks in advance for your help

PPRuNeUser0218
28th Apr 2024, 22:09
Hey guys,
Could someone tell me a little more about this test? Are the questions difficult or rather simple (what kind of questions), is the time manageable (17min for 25 questions)?

Maths test is 25 questions in 17 minutes. Personally found the questions fairly simple, the difficult part is completing them within the allocated time. The example questions within the FAQ document on the BA website is a good indicator of the type of questions that will come up. As a few others have put, don't be too concerned if you don't get to complete all the questions. Think I read somewhere on this thread, that someone passed to the next stage only answering 15 or 16.

flying0304
28th Apr 2024, 22:28
I haven’t heard anything since doing the checking test and I did it on the 21st. Anyone else in the same boat?

dmst
28th Apr 2024, 22:53
Hey guys,

The questions are very similar to that of GCSE Maths, which is the exam taken in the UK at age 16. There are a few example questions from last year's test on the preparation materials.

I found the time manageable, personally, finishing with just under five minutes spare.

Banksy83
29th Apr 2024, 05:11
I haven’t heard anything since doing the checking test and I did it on the 21st. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm waiting after getting told I'm through, then told it was a mistake if that helps lol

Beerongi
29th Apr 2024, 08:39
My advice is to focus on getting a smaller number of questions correct. I completed 20 questions and passed. Other people answered fewer questions than that and passed.

MB12
29th Apr 2024, 08:47
How long did it take from your test to the rejection. Was there enough time for someone to go over your motivation and cv?

It was the next day, so possible I did just fail the checking test. I would be quite surprised though as I felt very confident in most of my answers and had time left over at the end. Obviously possible I just got it badly wrong, though.

TipTopTaff
29th Apr 2024, 08:56
Still anxiously waiting the result of my checking test - hopefully my motivation answer is good enough if they're checking that as well. I was very conscious of the word count and worried I over-corrected a little.

Completed checking test Friday afternoon, so I'm hoping I get good news today.

Roll on 11am!

joey7415963
29th Apr 2024, 09:02
It was the next day, so possible I did just fail the checking test. I would be quite surprised though as I felt very confident in most of my answers and had time left over at the end. Obviously possible I just got it badly wrong, though.

It's so difficult to know so I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I would imagine there's an element of the tests being normalised - so you may do really well, but if everyone does really well, the pass mark gets tougher, if everyone got everything correct, then maybe it's down to the reaction time.

MB12
29th Apr 2024, 09:07
It's so difficult to know so I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I would imagine there's an element of the tests being normalised - so you may do really well, but if everyone does really well, the pass mark gets tougher, if everyone got everything correct, then maybe it's down to the reaction time.

Yeah I know it's super competitive, I'm not beating myself up about it. I'm just curious about what people's motivations are and what kinds of things people are doing to demonstrate their commitment. I know I can practice maths and logical reasoning for the tests, but I'd like to know what else I could be doing to make my application stand out in future.

Strarlight
29th Apr 2024, 09:17
Are you sure that the difficulty increases with the higher level that candidates are able to reach? Doesn't it lead to an unfair level?

max2610
29th Apr 2024, 10:43
Does anyone know what time the results for the checking test come in at? I sat mine on Wednesday and have been checking my email at 11:30 every morning.

Airplane987
29th Apr 2024, 11:07

Yep, did mine a week ago and still nothing. Hopeful that if I had failed I would have found out by now...

darkroomsource
29th Apr 2024, 11:19
They let you know how well you did on the maths if you don't pass to the next level. But don't give you any idea how well you needed to do to pass.

liamjack
29th Apr 2024, 12:13
Completed the audio recording on April 25th. Checking my inbox at unprecedented rates, knowing full well it could be another two weeks before I hear anything (torturous)... but wishing everyone else still in the running the very best of luck!

G-VCED
29th Apr 2024, 12:41
Yeah I know it's super competitive, I'm not beating myself up about it. I'm just curious about what people's motivations are and what kinds of things people are doing to demonstrate their commitment. I know I can practice maths and logical reasoning for the tests, but I'd like to know what else I could be doing to make my application stand out in future.

I don’t know your age / circumstances but anything where you put yourself in a position where you are learning skills which lend themselves to being a pilot/are speaking to pilots/learning leadership skills etc… Things like:

Gaining work experience/working in aviation related role to understand the industry
Attending BA employee events / online workshops
Flying on a BA flight
Getting involved in flying clubs
If at uni joining the university flying club (if there is one)
Air cadets
Doing some flying lessons
Taking on a leadership role in some way
Playing team sport
Getting a Class 1 Medical so you know you have no health concerns
Arranging a meeting with a pilot/s to ask them about their job

Things like that come to mind for me

MassivePilotMan
29th Apr 2024, 12:47
Are there any stats from last year's applicants on how many got through to each stage? I know 20,000 applied in 2023 but would be good to have a breakdown.

Banksy83
29th Apr 2024, 15:13
ANYONE WHO HAS HAD CONFLICTING EMAILS REGARDING THE AUDIO ASSESSMENT!!!

Hi everyone.

So I've been trying to network with British Airways regarding having conflicting emails with getting through to the Audio assessment stage.
I've spoken to Peter Spisiak, and have received the following reply

"Apologies for the confusion with the emails.

We encountered an error where an incorrect email filter was applied and audio exercise emails were sent to candidates in different stages of their application progress.

This was only a communication error and no one’s application or their relevant progress through the individual stages was impacted by this."
"I am aware that it is taking longer than we promised when it comes to communicating the outcomes post testing. Bear with us 🙂"

Hope this helps those of you in a similar situation to me.

fawes786
29th Apr 2024, 15:24
Hi Both,

I'm in the same boat I did my checking test on 21st of April, and still I have had no response. Feel a little out the loop as some people have had the PA announcement test, and others were swiftly rejected. Then there’s us guys in the middle with the unknown haha, I mean gives me some comfort knowing it’s not just me. How did you all find the tests ?

TOPS
29th Apr 2024, 20:52
Unfortunately they don't let you know how well you did, just that you passed to the next stage
Hey up fella - how'd ya get on with TUI? I thought I'd recognised the username

I got to the digital interview then got knocked back - where are you up to in this application?

Irishflyer24
29th Apr 2024, 22:08
Hi Both,

I'm in the same boat I did my checking test on 21st of April, and still I have had no response. Feel a little out the loop as some people have had the PA announcement test, and others were swiftly rejected. Then there’s us guys in the middle with the unknown haha, I mean gives me some comfort knowing it’s not just me. How did you all find the tests ?

Hey, I also did the checking test on April 21st, heard nothing back until today around 6pm when I got the negative answer, gonna assume I passed the checking but failed on the manual review of the application. Hopefully you hear back in the next few days with a positive answer. Best of luck to everyone else still in the process!

Flapjack321
29th Apr 2024, 22:35
Been reading these posts avidly the last few days. Thank you all before me for the advice.

Just submitted my passenger announcement tonight, it went okay, but made a slight error with the time - hoping it doesn't go against me! I got so focussed on saying certain things, I forgot others.

Now begins the long wait. Good luck to anyone who is still going.

Banksy83
30th Apr 2024, 00:32
Hey up fella - how'd ya get on with TUI? I thought I'd recognised the username

I got to the digital interview then got knocked back - where are you up to in this application?

Hello mate, same as you. Got knocked back after the video assesment.

At the moment waiting to hear if im through to the Passenger announcement with BA

HighSpeedTrainDriver
30th Apr 2024, 01:46
Maths test- Like someone else, I managed to do it with just over 5 minutes to spare.

Checking exercise- After 2 days of waiting, I got an invite for the Passenger Announcement Exercise yesterday.

To the people that have been waiting several days without a response- from what it sounds like, you haven’t failed but you haven’t necessarily passed either. Whether you get through to the next stage or not is dependent on how others who got higher than you perform in the passenger announcement exercise.
E.g. For the checking exercise:

8 or below = fail
11 or 12 = pass and invited to the Stage 4
9 or 10 = will only be invited to Stage 4 if not enough people in the 11-12 group pass Stage 4

It goes without saying that this is just speculation but might explain why some people have been waiting for a week without a response whilst others have got an invite for Stage 4 after only a couple of days. I’ve used arbitrary numbers for the “pass” and “fail” scores but you get the point. It may well be more complicated than that and they also take into account scores in the SJT and Maths tests too.

PILOT12302
30th Apr 2024, 08:25
Hey everyone,

Just curious as to what people who got to the PA put for one of the checking test questions where the name matched another person’s data – I unfortunately got rejected so wondering whether I interpreted that question wrong and that’s the reason or because of my CV.

TOPS
30th Apr 2024, 08:51
Hello mate, same as you. Got knocked back after the video assesment.

At the moment waiting to hear if im through to the Passenger announcement with BA
I'm one stage ahead of you - just about to do the PAX annoucement
There are a few other cadet programmes around so keep applying!
Best of luck

TOPS
30th Apr 2024, 08:53
Been reading these posts avidly the last few days. Thank you all before me for the advice.

Just submitted my passenger announcement tonight, it went okay, but made a slight error with the time - hoping it doesn't go against me! I got so focussed on saying certain things, I forgot others.

Now begins the long wait. Good luck to anyone who is still going.
They said they're not assessing technical details but more about the communication style and how you articulate the message. So yes, it shouldn't go against you as long and more of how you said counts more

Flapjack321
30th Apr 2024, 09:10
They said they're not assessing technical details but more about the communication style and how you articulate the message. So yes, it shouldn't go against you as long and more of how you said counts more

That puts my mind at ease thank you. I tried to be clever with stating a time of arrival and messed up time zones in the rush of it all.

Hopefully the delivery was good enough.

Has anyone else completed their PA?

Daniel_Goodnews
30th Apr 2024, 09:56
Heads up guys,

I finished my math exam with complete answers, but they rejected both me and my girlfriend.
The funny thing is, she is a math teacher.
They are eliminating candidates to make more room for the early applicants.
That's so unfair
Damn

nadster
30th Apr 2024, 11:12
For those that have completed the checking test, how long are you generally waiting for an outcome? Is anyone hearing back next day or are most people waiting ages at that step?

JoeFrank
30th Apr 2024, 11:21
For those that have completed the checking test, how long are you generally waiting for an outcome? Is anyone hearing back next day or are most people waiting ages at that step?
I’ve completed the checking test on 25th with a few seconds to spare and still waiting for a reply.

JamieFox
30th Apr 2024, 11:40
Just to add more to the mix, I also completed my Checking Test on the 20th (Saturday) and have yet to receive an email. I assume this fault they have had, caused more strain on the recruitment team so their 4/5 Days SLA has breached. Planning on sending them an email at the back end of this week to see what's happening. Hopefully, it means nothing and the delay is just because of that. Waiting game... haha

carragreaves29
30th Apr 2024, 11:59
Did the checking test on the 21st at 11am and still haven't heard back. Kinda stressed though because I want to start revising for the flight school exams, but then again might not have passed the checking exam. Anyone else in the same boat?

carragreaves29
30th Apr 2024, 12:06
I submitted Mine on Sunday the 21st March and still haven't heard back :(

benair11
30th Apr 2024, 12:24

Took 2 days for me from completing the checking test to getting an email inviting me to the PA announcement task.

Flapjack321
30th Apr 2024, 12:54

I completed mine Thursday afternoon 25th, and got an email on Sunday 28th - wishing you best of luck, hope you hear soon. I seem to have been fortunate with how soon after I got a reply

edlutterloch
30th Apr 2024, 13:00
Any chance you could let me know what they asked you to do for the PAX announcement? I'm just about to take that one.

Yorki
30th Apr 2024, 13:32
E.g. For the checking exercise:

8 or below = fail
11 or 12 = pass and invited to the Stage 4
9 or 10 = will only be invited to Stage 4 if not enough people in the 11-12 group pass Stage 4

It goes without saying that this is just speculation but might explain why some people have been waiting for a week without a response whilst others have got an invite for Stage 4 after only a couple of days. I’ve used arbitrary numbers for the “pass” and “fail” scores but you get the point. It may well be more complicated than that and they also take into account scores in the SJT and Maths tests too.

I think you're bang on here; I only answered 11/12 on checking but convinced I got all of them right (before it submitted my answers for me) and I got an invite to PA. I'm betting no human has looked at any pre-PA application and it's all computerised, but a human may look at the middle-pool of people depending on how many people make it to the PA-test.

Further backing the above point, I think BA messed up and accidentally sent the middle-pool of people the PA invite and then rescinded it 15 mins later which conincides with a few people's experiences above and explains why they've not heard anything in awhile.

The checking test was definitely harder to finish than the rest, and effectively splits people up into brackets that BA want.

Banksy83
30th Apr 2024, 14:23

There are delays in getting responses after the checking test. I posted a few posts back with a response from one of the guys from the recruitment team, after i had snags with emails sent to me

Banksy83
30th Apr 2024, 14:24
I'm one stage ahead of you - just about to do the PAX annoucement
There are a few other cadet programmes around so keep applying!
Best of luck

Good on ya lad. Keep me posted how you get on. Im still waiting to see if I've progressed or not

RingleRider
30th Apr 2024, 14:28
A friend of mine got the following email after failing the checking test:

“You have been identified by our systems team as somebody who completed the Checking test with a system error in recording your score. Only a small number of candidates have been impacted by this and all impacted candidates have been contacted. As a result, we are reinstating your assessment. We apologise for any confusion caused.”

apparently everyone effected has been contacted, so check your emails if you failed the checking test.

Banksy83
30th Apr 2024, 14:30

“You have been identified by our systems team as somebody who completed the Checking test with a system error in recording your score. Only a small number of candidates have been impacted by this and all impacted candidates have been contacted. As a result, we are reinstating your assessment. We apologise for any confusion caused.”

apparently everyone effected has been contacted, so check your emails if you failed the checking test.

Seems they've had quite an issue then

RingleRider
30th Apr 2024, 14:35
Seems they've had quite an issue then

The irony of not checking the system to check the checking scores is quite funny though!

Banksy83
30th Apr 2024, 14:47
The irony of not checking the system to check the checking scores is quite funny though!

Worse thing is the next stage is getting closer by the day, so goijg to make those of us in limbo, have very little time between stages

krankenhaus145
30th Apr 2024, 17:26
Has anyone heard back yet from the audio assessment? Completed it now as I did when I applied before, still a nervous wreck! It was certainly more difficult this time than the last.

RingleRider
30th Apr 2024, 17:33
Has anyone heard back yet from the audio assessment? Completed it now as I did when I applied before, still a nervous wreck! It was certainly more difficult this time than the last.

I’ve heard it will take 2 weeks, just got to try and be patient!

joey7415963
30th Apr 2024, 17:34

Did mine last Thursday, have yet to hear anything yet, good luck 😊

jsmith98
30th Apr 2024, 17:42

Did mine last Friday - also still waiting....and repeatedly refreshing my inbox...

LessThanSte
30th Apr 2024, 19:27
Just got email, unsuccessful post checking. I finished both maths and checking tests with time to spare, and was confident that all answers were correct. Which perhaps suggests the personal statement wasnt good enough.

In hindsight, and having only seen the presentation after submission, I could/should have put something more about BA values etc., rather than focusing as I did on relevant career and the appeal of a sponsored programme. Good learning for next time, I guess.

Good luck everyone else!

Banksy83
30th Apr 2024, 19:45
Also just received my rejection post checking. Got further last year as well. Slightly annoyed to say the least

Airplane987
30th Apr 2024, 19:59
Just got email, unsuccessful post checking. I finished both maths and checking tests with time to spare, and was confident that all answers were correct. Which perhaps suggests the personal statement wasnt good enough.

In hindsight, and having only seen the presentation after submission, I could/should have put something more about BA values etc., rather than focusing as I did on relevant career and the appeal of a sponsored programme. Good learning for next time, I guess.

Good luck everyone else!

I got to the final stage last year and just found out I was unsuccessful in even reaching the PA stage this year. I'm speechless but I suppose this will just make a great interview example of my resilience when I eventually get through again.

Banksy83
30th Apr 2024, 20:02
I got to the final stage last year and just found out I was unsuccessful in even reaching the PA stage this year. I'm speechless but I suppose this will just make a great interview example of my resilience when I eventually get through again.

There's a lot of people I know on the same boat. Something doesnt quite seem right this year with their system

fawes786
30th Apr 2024, 20:11
Hey guys just an update, after 9 days since doing checking test I had the dreaded email of rejection. I'm quite shocked just like most of you, I personally thought the checking test was quite easy, and thought I would make it through, perhaps my CV/ Personal statement needs some work, it's a shame no feedback is given as we all put a lot of effort into this. I do think there system this year was a bit broken after many things I have heard, I mean some of us that have had rejection emails we may even get an error message in the coming days, but I doubt it, it really is the hope that kills, good luck to everyone still in it, until next time, peace.

ted_striker87
30th Apr 2024, 20:36
Just got my rejection email also. Gutted. Finished the maths with time to spare and 99% sure I got everything right. Maybe 1 or 2 wrong in the checking, completed it last Friday and got the word back today just for anyone still waiting on hearing back. Absolutely gutted! But well done to the people progressing and I hope you make it all the way.

dmst
30th Apr 2024, 21:05
Rejection email for me too. Definitely need to work on my personal statement more next time.

KoalaKandy
30th Apr 2024, 21:13

Perhaps a useful data point for those wondering why they got rejected. I also got the same email above last night - was very happy to be given another chance after getting the automatic 11am rejection on my checking test. Completed the test last night with 2 minutes to spare this time, very confident of my answers (different questions, btw!).

No automatic email this morning which was great news.

But have just been rejected this evening, looking like the same time as everyone else. Although what I've noticed from the original checking test failure rejection email and this one - the language is different (the other one specifically thanks me for completing the test and saying they won't proceed), but this one just says they won't be taking the application further. This one is also signed off by a named individual, whereas the other one was just 'The Recruitment Team'.

So I'd hazard a guess, that I passed the checking, but likewise with everyone else who didn't get the automatic rejection email post-checking exam, weren't strong enough at a CV/Personal Statement stage to continue to the PA exam. A big shame, but hey! We can only but keep trying!!

TOPS
30th Apr 2024, 21:21
Heads up guys,

I finished my math exam with complete answers, but they rejected both me and my girlfriend.
That's so unfair
Damn
That's a wild assumption! What makes you say that?
Crazy idea, but could there be a chance that neither of you reached their 'pass mark?'
These assessments are automated so decisions and rejection emails, or even move to the next stage emails are sent automatically without anyone looking at the CV to see what occupation or industry the candidates are in
In the highly unlikely event they're eliminating candidates to make room for the early applicants, why not simply bring forward the closing date? These tests costs money so if they have the candidates and numbers it doesn't make sense to pay for the tests.
There are others academies that are still live so you should check them out too - best of luck

TOPS
30th Apr 2024, 21:23
Did the checking test on the 21st at 11am and still haven't heard back. Kinda stressed though because I want to start revising for the flight school exams, but then again might not have passed the checking exam. Anyone else in the same boat?
Which flight school exams? You have the PAX announcement after the check in test, then the assessment day after that.
Seems a very long time between completion and not hearing anything back

TOPS
30th Apr 2024, 21:26
Any chance you could let me know what they asked you to do for the PAX announcement? I'm just about to take that one.
It's a bit naughty of you to ask this! Plus who would tell you and you get an unfair advantage?

TOPS
30th Apr 2024, 21:29
Good on ya lad. Keep me posted how you get on. Im still waiting to see if I've progressed or not
I've just done the PAX announcement - I thought it was ok, a few urms here and there but I put my best voice on
Have you heard back yet? Let me know when you do which ever way it goes
Did you apply for Air Lingus, Luxair and Easy Jet too? I did for AL but will apply for the others in the next day or so
Best of luck

RingleRider
30th Apr 2024, 21:31
Heads up guys,

That's so unfair
Damn

that is a very bold claim, besides they’re not looking for maths teachers, but pilots, just being a maths teacher doesn’t guarantee you should pass the tests. I doubt they care when you applied.

DIAMONDDA62
30th Apr 2024, 23:52
I hope it went well!
Was it just the recording of the announcement or were there any other exercises to do/questions to answer?

ashleysly
1st May 2024, 08:41
I've just done the PAX announcement - I thought it was ok, a few urms here and there but I put my best voice on
Have you heard back yet? Let me know when you do which ever way it goes
Did you apply for Air Lingus, Luxair and Easy Jet too? I did for AL but will apply for the others in the next day or so
Best of luck
I did a few urns here and there but did much better on the second announcement. I wonder how they score the speeches

Rotate88
1st May 2024, 10:35
Hi, :)
Does anyone know a ballpark figure of how many people make it through to the Skybourne/ FTEjerez assessment stage? 100s? 1000s?

ldepo2
1st May 2024, 11:34
I see a lot of posts on this forum assuming that the recruitment team reviews motivation after the checking test. But I think that all this is just speculation and that people who think they have passed their test and who received a rejection email, it is that their test did not reach the required scores. It is probably true that the BA recruitment team has quotas and that even if we pass the tests, we are not certain to succeed.

They have to remove as many people as possible before sending the selected candidates to school assessment.

The motivation and questions related to the application are checked during the screening. That is precisely the purpose of a screening. It makes absolutely no sense to do the test if it’s to eject us after the last online test just because of the motivation letter.

That’s how it happens in these kinds of selections. It’s not always fair and it’s very frustrating, but we can’t do anything about it.

That's not true. Everybody who applies does the tests. CV and motivation question are likely screened after a candidate passes all three of these tests.

easy_99
1st May 2024, 12:16
I see a lot of posts on this forum assuming that the recruitment team reviews motivation after the checking test. But I think that all this is just speculation and that people who think they have passed their test and who received a rejection email, it is that their test did not reach the required scores. It is probably true that the BA recruitment team has quotas and that even if we pass the tests, we are not certain to succeed.

They have to remove as many people as possible before sending the selected candidates to school assessment.

The motivation and questions related to the application are checked during the screening. That is precisely the purpose of a screening. It makes absolutely no sense to do the test if it’s to eject us after the last online test just because of the motivation letter.

That’s how it happens in these kinds of selections. It’s not always fair and it’s very frustrating, but we can’t do anything about it.

As an unsuccessful candidate both last year and this year, like everyone else I can only speculate, but there is a video on YouTube where BA HR spoke to a UK magazine about the SPA back in January. I can't post the link as I'm new here, but if you search on YouTube for "flyermag livestream 11 january 2024" you'll find it. The BA bit starts around 30 mins in.

They say at around 36 mins that they had 24000 "go into testing", which I think basically means applied, and they had around "8000 pass testing" that they then manually screened. Now who knows whether "testing" includes the PA exercise or not, but given both last year and this year they've sort of referred to the PA exercise as a separate stage ("you'll get more info if you reach this" etc.), I think this is why people are assuming your CV and motivation question is read after the checking test. But I agree with others that they almost certainly only read your application if you pass the checking, so e.g. if you get less than 10 questions right on the checking (as an example), you get automatically rejected, if you get more you've "passed", someone reads your CV and then depending on the combination of how good your tests were and had good your CV/motivation is you go into the yes/maybe/rejection groups. So fast rejection after checking implies you failed the test, longer wait implies they read your application and if you then get rejected it was likely your application answer or CV that let you down. Again that is all just speculation.

Congrats to all those candidates making it to the PA stage and beyond. If any of you are willing to share (at some level) how you interpreted the checking question where all data was "valid" but split across multiple rows I'd be really interested and grateful for suggestions. I've been rejected the next day after checking test both times despite thinking it went well, so wondering where I'm going wrong. Equally it may be my CV/essay, who knows! Best of luck to those of you still in the process!

SierraLimaJuliette
1st May 2024, 12:43
Perhaps a useful data point for those wondering why they got rejected. I also got the same email above last night - was very happy to be given another chance after getting the automatic 11am rejection on my checking test. Completed the test last night with 2 minutes to spare this time, very confident of my answers (different questions, btw!).

No automatic email this morning which was great news.

But have just been rejected this evening, looking like the same time as everyone else. Although what I've noticed from the original checking test failure rejection email and this one - the language is different (the other one specifically thanks me for completing the test and saying they won't proceed), but this one just says they won't be taking the application further. This one is also signed off by a named individual, whereas the other one was just 'The Recruitment Team'.

So I'd hazard a guess, that I passed the checking, but likewise with everyone else who didn't get the automatic rejection email post-checking exam, weren't strong enough at a CV/Personal Statement stage to continue to the PA exam. A big shame, but hey! We can only but keep trying!!

I received the same email on Monday evening, completed the test yesterday morning and was happy to see no email in my inbox around 11.30 this morning...now I'm not so sure since you got a rejection in the evening!

The waiting is the killer, I feel pretty confident with yesterday's checking test but it's still hard to know. I'll be nervously checking my emails all evening now, thought I was out of the woods lol

The waiting and not knowing is the killer, so easy to speculate but realistically none of us know what is going on behind the scenes unfortunately.

Pilotguy85
1st May 2024, 13:20
Waiting patiently to hear back after the checking test. I would suggest that the checking test is not out of 12, but with multiple Qs having 2/3/4 answers/errors it would be out of say, 30 marks. Just a thought.

Waiting for the PA announcement/rejection email now!

RingleRider
1st May 2024, 16:00
Just been to a Q&A and they said they screen motivational question before PA if that helps anyone

NaW96
1st May 2024, 16:04
Just been to a Q&A and they said they screen motivational question before PA if that helps anyone

Does this mean they screen the question after completing the checking and before being invited to the PA or they screen the motivation after you’ve been invited but before actually watching the PA?

Kopf
1st May 2024, 16:07
Messed up the passenger announcement. Thought I smashed it first time tbh but it didn't record the sound and when reviewing, I clicked the wrong button. So I have actually managed to submit complete silence for the first scenario. Such a dumb way to end up out of the process but they are clear that they don't give second chances which is fair enough.

Is it a 6 monthly thing, so they'll reopen it in the autumn?

JoeFrank
1st May 2024, 16:08

How do you guys know about those calls, Q&As, Zoom calls etc.? Is there a mail list?

georgeburgess
1st May 2024, 17:39
Hello,

I don't think this can be possible. I applied for BA academy on the last day (26th of May). I completed the checking test on the 29th of May and I got invited for the PA the next day (30th of May). Awaiting their answer now.

chris09
1st May 2024, 17:42

Interesting! Wonder why then and not along with the PA assessment or maybe even later…

Hopefully a good thing 🤞🏻 thanks for sharing!

georgeburgess
1st May 2024, 17:44
Many thanks for this information. So that would mean that everyone who got invited to PA have passed the motivational question? If you don't mind me asking, where did you get this information from?
Thank you

RingleRider
1st May 2024, 21:12
How do you guys know about those calls, Q&As, Zoom calls etc.? Is there a mail list?

they hold a Q&A on the first Wednesday of every month, I can’t remember where the link was sorry!

swannley
2nd May 2024, 07:35
Bit of an ask, but does anyone have any contact details for the recruitment team or any other contact?

I had some technical issues when doing the PA exercise, and i emailed the Recruitment team. Got an auto-response to fill in a MS form, which I did on Saturday, but I've heard nothing in response and I'm beginning to worry that time is running out.

Rotate88
2nd May 2024, 10:18
Hi,

Does anyone know a ballpark figure of how many people make it through to the skybourne/FTEjerez assessment stage? 100? 1000?

TOPS
2nd May 2024, 10:56
Hello - if I read right, you just got a rejection email after completing the PAX announcement? If so, firstly, shame, secondly, when did you complete the announcement and when did you get the email?
I'm just going to compare to when I completed and I haven't heard anything at all yet
Thanks and best of luck with the next one
Cheers

TOPS
2nd May 2024, 11:00
I did a few urns here and there but did much better on the second announcement. I wonder how they score the speeches
I was probably similar but didn't stop to listen to them as I would have only over analysed it - when did you do yours? I think someone has had a rejection email after their announcement submission so while they said 2 weeks, they might rule out the definite NOs early (he says hopingly!)

TOPS
2nd May 2024, 11:12
Hello there - can you send a link to which Q&A section you read this? I've had another look and can't see anything so really curious to whether I've missed other FAQs too

If you can't add a link, please copy and paste or guide us to the page - thanks ahead

TOPS
2nd May 2024, 11:15
Does this mean they screen the question after completing the checking and before being invited to the PA or they screen the motivation after you’ve been invited but before actually watching the PA?
I read it as they screen the question before being invited to the PA

RingleRider
2nd May 2024, 11:18
Hello there - can you send a link to which Q&A section you read this? I've had another look and can't see anything so really curious to whether I've missed other FAQs too

If you can't add a link, please copy and paste or guide us to the page - thanks ahead

sorry it was a Q&A call on zoom with the BA recruitment team not a FAQs document.

RingleRider
2nd May 2024, 11:19
Hello - if I read right, you just got a rejection email after completing the PAX announcement? If so, firstly, shame, secondly, when did you complete the announcement and when did you get the email?
I'm just going to compare to when I completed and I haven't heard anything at all yet
Thanks and best of luck with the next one
Cheers

No, I think they mean they didn’t get invited to PA, and was rejected after checking.

kiana3011
2nd May 2024, 11:20

Good luck everyone else! I also admittedly did not look at the presentation and didn’t realise they were looking for a part of your answer to the motivation question being BA based, but made it through to the pax announcement? I’m hoping my cv has managed to carry me because ever since I found that out I’ve been panicking because i didn’t mention anything about why BA

TOPS
2nd May 2024, 11:20
sorry it was a Q&A call on zoom with the BA recruitment team not a FAQs document.
Fair enough - so on that basis it's good news that the motivational question was acceptable to them
Thanks for getting back to me

georgeburgess
2nd May 2024, 11:21
I also admittedly did not look at the presentation and didn’t realise they were looking for a part of your answer to the motivation question being BA based, but made it through to the pax announcement? I’m hoping my cv has managed to carry me because ever since I found that out I’ve been panicking because i didn’t mention anything about why BA

Hi there, I'm the exact same situation. I have finished my PA but I'm scared that my motivation answer was up to standards.

TOPS
2nd May 2024, 11:27
Hi there, I'm the exact same situation. I have finished my PA but I'm scared that my motivation answer was up to standards.
From what RingleRider said, your motivation was up to standard otherwise you wouldn't have got an invite to the PAX announcement

georgeburgess
2nd May 2024, 11:29
From what RingleRider said, your motivation was up to standard otherwise you wouldn't have got an invite to the PAX announcement

Fingers crossed :)

polo12345
2nd May 2024, 16:18
Anyone have any tips for the PA announcement or what the format is like? Do you just read a pre written one or have to think of your own on the spot? What is the timing situation like also?

PolomDrastiz
2nd May 2024, 21:42
That's a wild assumption! What makes you say that?
Crazy idea, but could there be a chance that neither of you reached their 'pass mark?'
These assessments are automated so decisions and rejection emails, or even move to the next stage emails are sent automatically without anyone looking at the CV to see what occupation or industry the candidates are in
In the highly unlikely event they're eliminating candidates to make room for the early applicants, why not simply bring forward the closing date? These tests costs money so if they have the candidates and numbers it doesn't make sense to pay for the tests.
There are others academies that are still live so you should check them out too - best of luck

There are no other academies that are still live, there is only TUI and Aer Lingus, both of which have ended their applications.

Phantom4
3rd May 2024, 12:21
that is a very bold claim, besides they’re not looking for maths teachers, but pilots, just being a maths teacher doesn’t guarantee you should pass the tests. I doubt they care when you applied.
Be careful with the maths test as there may well be a question which is significantly more complex than the previous in which case keep an eye on how much time you are wasting,then leave it and jump to the next question.
Just an old technique,your task is to gain as many marks in the time allocated.

TOPS
3rd May 2024, 13:31
There are no other academies that are still live, there is only TUI and Aer Lingus, both of which have ended their applications.
Luxair is live and so is the Easyjet

SierraLimaJuliette
3rd May 2024, 14:07

EasyJet is self funded though isn't it?? Had a brief look at this a few weeks ago,

Also you've reminded me to complete my Luxair application...so thank you :ok:

mj2828
3rd May 2024, 23:12
Good luck all.

aviator86444
4th May 2024, 13:49
Just got my rejection email after completing the PA last Friday. I felt I didn't do my best on the first PA, but I knew it would be a long shot to get it anyway! Best of luck to all in the next stages

PolomDrastiz
4th May 2024, 14:43
Easyjet is self funded...
and luxair requires the right to live and work in the EU...this is a BA speedbird pilot academy thread, british nationals are applying. Not people with EU citizenship.

PolomDrastiz
4th May 2024, 14:51
EasyJet is self funded though isn't it?? Had a brief look at this a few weeks ago,

Also you've reminded me to complete my Luxair application...so thank you :ok:

Yes, easyjet MPL costs circa £90k excluding accomodation if necessary.

How are you applying for luxair? Do you have dual nationality? This is a BA Speedbird Academy thread so everyone must be a UK passport holder, which does not give you the right to live and work on the EU.

Rotate88
4th May 2024, 18:29
Does anyone know a ballpark figure of how many people make it through to the skybourne/FTEjerez assessment stage? 100? 1000?

Chris the Robot
4th May 2024, 19:22

How are you applying for luxair? Do you have dual nationality? This is a BA Speedbird Academy thread so everyone must be a UK passport holder, which does not give you the right to live and work on the EU.

Irish nationals can apply for the Speedbird Academy and British nationals can apply to Aer Lingus, this is due to the Common Travel Area between the UK and Ireland.

Pilotguy85
5th May 2024, 10:34
I heard 800 got through out of 25,000 to the flight school assessment stage last time. It may be wrong and hearsay.

abhi.18
5th May 2024, 11:27
Anyone got the PA twice?

SierraLimaJuliette
5th May 2024, 14:55

I'm an Irish passport holder which gives me right to both live and work in the UK & EU

Flapjack321
5th May 2024, 16:27
Just wondering if anyone has had news back post PA yet? Submitted mine on Monday, so almost a week. I know they said up to 2 weeks. Tension is really killing me, feel closer to my dream than I ever have done, but it's so often the hope that kills you!

kaneco94
5th May 2024, 18:44
I don't believe this is quite accurate. The requirements for the BA Speedbird Pilot Academy are:

A valid passport which permits unrestricted worldwide travel (which could be a number of different passports)
Have the right to live and work in the UK without sponsorship (settled status or visa here is allowed)

Nowhere does it say it's for British nationals only :) So I'm sure a number of EU nationals are also applying to BA's opportunities - just like I am.

RingleRider
5th May 2024, 20:22
Had a rejection email today over a week after doing the PA (10 days ago), so assume it was that or my CV/motivational answer. Good luck to those still through and everyone else in their pursuit!

Nonetheless somewhat enjoyed the process and grateful for even having an opportunity like this available to apply for.

Flapjack321
5th May 2024, 20:41
Had a rejection email today over a week after doing the PA (10 days ago), so assume it was that or my CV/motivational answer. Good luck to those still through and everyone else in their pursuit!

Nonetheless somewhat enjoyed the process and grateful for even having an opportunity like this available to apply for.

Unlucky mate. Enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you for the update, I'm a few days behind so still waiting. Best of luck to you.

Pilotguy85
5th May 2024, 21:28
Out of interest, how did you all approach the PA assessment? Write bullet points and ad lib
or create an actual script?

Fingers crossed for the next stage!

weep
5th May 2024, 22:38
Also Rejected from the PA :(.. Really want this job but feeling very demotivated recently as to whether its realistic and I should give up haha

GentleMolasses
6th May 2024, 08:29
Sorry to hear that...I wouldn't give up though, getting from 24,000+ candidates to 100 is a ~0.4% acceptance rate. I think it's fair to say there's a decent bit of luck involved in the process. Making it to the PA is already an achievement, the best you can do moving forward is keep trying, keep your eyes open for additional opportunities and keep practising. Waiting for the dreaded email post-PA myself :sad:

joey7415963
6th May 2024, 08:51
Also Rejected from the PA :(.. Really want this job but feeling very demotivated recently as to whether its realistic and I should give up haha

Sorry to hear but don't let it demotivate you. These programs are hugely competitive. These forums are full of people saying the same thing: becoming a commercial pilot requires resilience and determination. Good luck, there will always be a way.

garkeen81
6th May 2024, 10:48
Received my reject email just 1 day after the PA submission
I have to admit that I did really bad in that... just a bit surprised to see the reply that fast

So good luck to all others who is able to progress to next stage of the selection

NaW96
6th May 2024, 15:57
Anyone heard anything from PA?

Dannamak
6th May 2024, 15:59
Still waiting here! I submitted mine on 24th April.

oneredpanther
6th May 2024, 16:06
Nope!

avpiper
6th May 2024, 16:10
Not yet, completed PA on the 25th of April so getting close to 2 weeks. I'm not getting my hopes up, I think I rambled way too much and i definitely remember telling passengers the flight was cancelled...oops!

DIAMONDDA62
6th May 2024, 18:35
Hi everyone!
I didn't do my PA yet so I guess it isn't fair for you nor for the other candidates who already did the PA that information regarding the assessment is being discussed publicly in the chat.
I think if this year we won't be reading from a given text, means that both the how and the what matters. So let's keep it clean mates!
Good luck for all of us :D

Flatiron220
6th May 2024, 19:00
Not yet, completed PA on the 25th of April so getting close to 2 weeks. I'm not getting my hopes up, I think I rambled way too much and i definitely remember telling passengers the flight was cancelled...oops!

Similar situation here- mine was sent on the 26th and haven’t heard anything back yet. However my heart rate increases substantially every time I get an email!

Best of luck to you.

rebcar
6th May 2024, 20:30
I've also not heard back from PA, sent on the 26th..

chris09
6th May 2024, 22:21
Similar situation here- mine was sent on the 26th and haven’t heard anything back yet. However my heart rate increases substantially every time I get an email!

Best of luck to you.

Submitted mine on the 24th and haven’t heard anything yet. Also hoping no new is good news!

It did say it will be 2 weeks to hear any further updates after the PA so hopefully this week.

Good luck all!

petersimonpurse
6th May 2024, 22:41
Been rejected after the PA announcement today. Gutted! But oh well, thought it went okay, and spent hours preparing and listening to announcements as well as prepping CV and motivational question. They have to be so cutthroat in slimming it down from 8,000 (data from last year) to 1,000 or so for the flight school assessments. Sadly unsure if was the PA or CV/motivation that let me down would be amazing if I knew so I could work on one more. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

gchawkins
7th May 2024, 12:01
Completed my PA on the 1st April which seems a lot later than most. Obviously not got anything back yet. Keep getting normal BA marketing emails that make my heart drop every time they come in 😂 good luck everyone!

oneredpanther
7th May 2024, 12:14
Quick question in terms of timing... for Skyborne it seems we'd be expected to take CUT-e aptitude on either week commending 20th or 27th May, in person at Waterside. Is that your reading of the guidance too?

jsmith98
7th May 2024, 12:19
Quick question in terms of timing... for Skyborne it seems we'd be expected to take CUT-e aptitude on either week commencing 20th or 27th May, in person at Waterside. Is that your reading of the guidance too?Below is the timeline of the assessment process.

FTEJerez selection dates - weeks commencing 27 May and 03 June (Waterside in-person assessments); weeks commencing 17 June, 24 June and 01 July (virtual assessments)

Skyborne selection dates - weeks commencing 20 May and 27 May (virtual assessments); weeks commencing 24 June, 01 July and 08 July (Waterside in-person)

British Airways Assessment Centre - weeks commencing 22 July, 29 July and 05 August (Waterside in-person)

NaW96
7th May 2024, 13:10
Quick question in terms of timing... for Skyborne it seems we'd be expected to take CUT-e aptitude on either week commending 20th or 27th May, in person at Waterside. Is that your reading of the guidance too?

I think the Skyborne aptitude tests are virtual and can be done online and if you progress past this stage you do the assessment day in Waterside.

joey7415963
7th May 2024, 13:28
Does anyone from last year know how it works with the skyborne assessments? Will you be given a date for the online part of the assessment (if it is online), or can you choose one within that range? Hoping no news is still good news.

rebcar
7th May 2024, 14:18
does anyone know the specific cut-e tests they'll be? Or is it just pretty much all of the aptitude tests...

TOPS
7th May 2024, 19:09
Completed my PA on the 1st April which seems a lot later than most. Obviously not got anything back yet. Keep getting normal BA marketing emails that make my heart drop every time they come in 😂 good luck everyone!
Do you mean the 1st May?

TOPS
7th May 2024, 19:36
Below is the timeline of the assessment process.

FTEJerez selection dates - weeks commencing 27 May and 03 June (Waterside in-person assessments); weeks commencing 17 June, 24 June and 01 July (virtual assessments)

Skyborne selection dates - weeks commencing 20 May and 27 May (virtual assessments); weeks commencing 24 June, 01 July and 08 July (Waterside in-person)

British Airways Assessment Centre - weeks commencing 22 July, 29 July and 05 August (Waterside in-person)
So from these dates, the FTEJ in-person assessments (2 weeks) are before the virtual assessments - so that tells me that they decide on everything in its entirety rather than using the virtual assessments as a filter to the in-person assessments - I suppose the same with the Skyborne, but their in-person assessments are 3 weeks

So if the flight school assessments are a filter to the final BA assessment centre (which are 3 weeks), what is BA going to assess that the flight schools haven't?

avpiper
7th May 2024, 20:11
So from these dates, the FTEJ in-person assessments (2 weeks) are before the virtual assessments - so that tells me that they decide on everything in its entirety rather than using the virtual assessments as a filter to the in-person assessments - I suppose the same with the Skyborne, but their in-person assessments are 3 weeks

So if the flight school assessments are a filter to the final BA assessment centre (which are 3 weeks), what is BA going to assess that the flight schools haven't?
I would think BA will be assessing people for company fit. Somebody might be smart enough to get through testing, assessment centres and flight school interviews, but if their personality, soft skills, and values don't fit the company then they wouldn't be selected.

Gotta be harsh to knock 25k down to 100. Still just a guess of course!

gchawkins
7th May 2024, 20:15
Do you mean the 1st May?

Yeh, put 31st April then remembered that doesn’t exist 😂

Roewester1
7th May 2024, 20:21

Last year, the flight school assessment was just a 30 minute interview about yourself and knowledge of the company and the BA one would be something like a grad scheme assessment day, so a group activity (my guess is a planning exercise similar to the RAF OASC) and another interview.

TOPS
7th May 2024, 20:25
I would think BA will be assessing people for company fit. Somebody might be smart enough to get through testing, assessment centres and flight school interviews, but if their personality, soft skills, and values don't fit the company then they wouldn't be selected.

Gotta be harsh to knock 25k down to 100. Still just a guess of course!
Makes sense - let the flight school assess the technical knowledge and let BA assess culture fit and personality - so more like an interview than an 'assessment day'

TOPS
7th May 2024, 20:27
Last year, the flight school assessment was just a 30 minute interview about yourself and knowledge of the company and the BA one would be something like a grad scheme assessment day, so a group activity (my guess is a planning exercise similar to the RAF OASC) and another interview.
When you say knowledge of the company, do you mean the Flight School company? So they want to learn more about you and what you know of their flight school (what they do and how they do it etc)?
I don't know what the RAF OASC is so I'll be looking that up
Thanks

Ksw84
7th May 2024, 21:30
Evening all, been an avid viewer of this thread from afar so thought I'd contribute. I'm 40 years old and awaiting my results from the PAX announcement which I completed on 30th April. Spent the last 17 years as a Police Officer but this has always been my dream. Thankfully I have a very understanding family who are willing to sacrifice 18 months of their life to watch me achieve my my dream. Good luck to everyone who has so far made it through, it shouldn't be taken for granted what you've achieved

Flapjack321
8th May 2024, 05:42
Evening all, been an avid viewer of this thread from afar so thought I'd contribute. I'm 40 years old and awaiting my results from the PAX announcement which I completed on 30th April. Spent the last 17 years as a Police Officer but this has always been my dream. Thankfully I have a very understanding family who are willing to sacrifice 18 months of their life to watch me achieve my my dream. Good luck to everyone who has so far made it through, it shouldn't be taken for granted what you've achieved

Hello! I also submitted just a day before you did, the BA marketing emails are really something when I get the notification haha!

Best of luck to you

Roewester1
8th May 2024, 07:11
When you say knowledge of the company, do you mean the Flight School company? So they want to learn more about you and what you know of their flight school (what they do and how they do it etc)?
I don't know what the RAF OASC is so I'll be looking that up
Thanks

When I was at that stage last year I had 0 question asked about the flight school and it was fully about BA, the role of a pilot and myself. They might ask about the flight school this year so be prepared just in case. And the group planning exercise I mentioned is also done by direct entry BA pilots and its based of the planning exercise RAF officers will do at OASC so we have a lot of material to practice when it comes to the final stage.

TOPS
8th May 2024, 08:26
Hello hello hello (sorry, couldn't help it!)
I've just turned 55 and this is my last chance - always loved aviation, but got caught in the career hamster wheel of life, and only because of my daughter I applied. So one and only chance for me as next time, I'll be too old!
I submitted the PA announcement the same day as you so please let me know when you hear back, good or bad news. I'll do the same and let you know - we can then see whether they're in submission order but it looks like they're sending out the rejection emails first - so I think no news is good news.
Best of luck

TOPS
8th May 2024, 08:29
When I was at that stage last year I had 0 question asked about the flight school and it was fully about BA, the role of a pilot and myself. They might ask about the flight school this year so be prepared just in case. And the group planning exercise I mentioned is also done by direct entry BA pilots and its based of the planning exercise RAF officers will do at OASC so we have a lot of material to practice when it comes to the final stage.
Thanks for the reply and clarification - are you too waiting to hear the outcome from the PA announcement?

ashleysly
8th May 2024, 09:01
I've just turned 55 and this is my last chance - always loved aviation, but got caught in the career hamster wheel of life, and only because of my daughter I applied. So one and only chance for me as next time, I'll be too old!
I submitted the PA announcement the same day as you so please let me know when you hear back, good or bad news. I'll do the same and let you know - we can then see whether they're in submission order but it looks like they're sending out the rejection emails first - so I think no news is good news.
Best of luck

I submitted mine 25th April and I’ve still had no answer. I’m seeing others get rejections and just keeping myself occupied so I’m not email watching and thinking that no news is good news🤞

LeicesterFox
8th May 2024, 09:01
Rejected after the PA, completed it last Tuesday/Wednesday I think.

I recorded on my phone whilst completing it and shared it with a Captain at a different airline and he said it was reasonable. But I guess the competition is fierce and they undoubtedly are looking for something specific in it to make it easy to assess and compare. And he did counsel that it’s like a driving test where what you’d actually say and what they want you to say for this are not necessarily the same.

Alas wasn’t to be. Good luck to the people that deservedly get it. Might have been my only shot, we’ll see where I’m at in 12 months but I think I’ve got to commit to something now that probably won’t allow me to give it another go soon.

It’s good to see some older folk applying. At 28 I was thinking I was getting too old but it shows you can pivot at any point.

Ksw84
8th May 2024, 09:44
Best of luck

Thank you, I know that career Hamster wheel very well. I would be taking a significant pay cut but more than willing to in order to achieve my dream. I applied for a BA scholarship when I was doing my A levels all those years ago but the scheme was pulled due to the events of 9/11. I will keep you posted, I'm working on the assumption that no news is positive and they are waiting to collate all the passes to allocate the flight school preferences, of course I could be way off but that's what I'm hoping. Good luck to you too

Flapjack321
8th May 2024, 10:12

I recorded on my phone whilst completing it and shared it with a Captain at a different airline and he said it was reasonable. But I guess the competition is fierce and they undoubtedly are looking for something specific in it to make it easy to assess and compare. And he did counsel that it’s like a driving test where what you’d actually say and what they want you to say for this are not necessarily the same.

Alas wasn’t to be. Good luck to the people that deservedly get it. Might have been my only shot, we’ll see where I’m at in 12 months but I think I’ve got to commit to something now that probably won’t allow me to give it another go soon.

It’s good to see some older folk applying. At 28 I was thinking I was getting too old but it shows you can pivot at any point.

I'm sorry to hear that. I too at 29 fear the same but relieved there are others who are not fresh out of school!

I wish you luck, and thanks for sharing the update.

RHT23
8th May 2024, 10:15
Morning All,

I'm another who submitted their PAX announcements April 30th and has yet to hear back. Finger crossed.

I know its been addressed a couple of times already but I'm just trying to make sense of the potential assessment dates. Does anybody know, for sure, if it's an option between attending a virtual or in person assessment day? If taking the virtual option could this possibly have a negative impact?
I work off offshore at the moment and some of the dates available are when I'm on rotation. I'm trying to work out if I'll need to jump ship or not....if I even get lucky enough to be offered a spot.

krankenhaus145
8th May 2024, 12:02
Morning All,

I'm another who submitted their PAX announcements April 30th and has yet to hear back. Finger crossed.

I know its been addressed a couple of times already but I'm just trying to make sense of the potential assessment dates. Does anybody know, for sure, if it's an option between attending a virtual or in person assessment day? If taking the virtual option could this possibly have a negative impact?
I work off offshore at the moment and some of the dates available are when I'm on rotation. I'm trying to work out if I'll need to jump ship or not....if I even get lucky enough to be offered a spot.

Hi there
I can only speak on last year's experiences - for all of the stages from first In person stage, you could choose between a few dates (usually spanning across a week or 2) for your assessments.

I don't think it makes a difference when you do it, as that would be very unfair to those that apply later. I remember that in the final stage, everyone completed it, and then they sat down on a panel of staff and looked through everyone's full profile/application, so I wouldn't worry about when you do it.

I believe you HAVE to attend an in-person day as they have to assess you properly for maths etc, minimising risk of cheating and whatnot.

jsmith98
8th May 2024, 12:25
Morning All,

As per my understanding, there is no option.

You would have to do both, in person for the math assessments/Interview and virtual assessment for the aptitude tests.

Potential_Pilot
8th May 2024, 12:34
As a 30-something engineer, reading about all your varied backgrounds is really interesting!

Flapjack321
8th May 2024, 12:46
I don't think I've gone more than 15 minutes without refreshing my emails...

Anyone else?

TOPS
8th May 2024, 13:32
So far I'm the oldest at 55 so the rest of you have the luxury of having another go if you're not successful.

Yes, it's hard not to speculate about their processes but from the ones who have told us they have received their rejection emails, they have submitted before and after the likes of us who submitted on or around the 30th April. So on that basis, yes I'm speculating but can't help it, it's rejection emails regardless so if that's right, no news is definitely good news - the longer we don't hear anything the better the chances.

Having said that, if the first in-person assessment is on the 27th May (which is a Bank Holiday Monday (TUI ran their sim assessments over the weekend BTW)), and if they want to give 2 weeks' notice, then I reckon we'll all know one way or the other, by a week Friday (17th May) - on that speculative note, just over a week to go.

In terms of commitment, and we talked about what we're giving up, and our families to support us (which I applauded all those who are supporting you in any way or form), I'd be giving up a 6 figure salary to do this. I hope that demonstrates my motivation to BA. I start a new contract tomorrow for 6 months so if I pull this off, that'll take me to a holiday before Christmas and start in January. Wishful thinking I know, but there are always hopes and prayers

If I don't get through, I'm even considering the self-funded route as I'm going to pay for it one way or the other!

Best of luck team!

Ksw84
8th May 2024, 15:28
Hello! I also submitted just a day before you did, the BA marketing emails are really something when I get the notification haha!

Best of luck to you

Thank you, likewise, good luck with the process

Ksw84
8th May 2024, 19:17

Anyone else?

Yes, I know that feeling, becomes rather addictive

chris09
8th May 2024, 20:15

Anyone else?

I’m probably at every 10 minutes 😂

oneredpanther
8th May 2024, 20:27
35 knot crosswind landing at night in the rain, or receiving an unrelated job vacancies email from British Airways - which has the higher heart rate and adrenaline spike?

Flatiron220
8th May 2024, 20:42
35 knot crosswind landing at night in the rain, or receiving an unrelated job vacancies email from British Airways - which has the higher heart rate and adrenaline spike?

So it’s not just me!

CAVOKpilot
8th May 2024, 20:45
I'm sorry to hear that. I too at 29 fear the same but relieved there are others who are not fresh out of school!

I wish you luck, and thanks for sharing the update.

I remember telling myself if I wasn't a pilot by 26, I would give up... And it was only once I turned 26 that I really made a go for it. I'm 31 now and just secured my first flying job. Along my modular pathway, I met people younger than me in their early 20s, and some in the 30s, 40s and 50s. A chap I knew on my APS MCC was in late 40s and he's just started with Jet2 - he was also offered a fully-funded flight instructor course with guarantee of job at end. There is a lot respect out there for the self-improver route, shows strong character!

TOPS
8th May 2024, 21:10
I’m probably at every 10 minutes 😂
Don't you set your notifications to 'push' so as soon as an email lands, it pings you? That way you don't need to check or refresh?
Doing what you're doing would drive me insane; albeit I have to admit I am a bit on edge and hoping I don't get an email for the rest of the week at least

chris09
8th May 2024, 23:10
Don't you set your notifications to 'push' so as soon as an email lands, it pings you? That way you don't need to check or refresh?
Doing what you're doing would drive me insane; albeit I have to admit I am a bit on edge and hoping I don't get an email for the rest of the week at least

I do yes but I get so many emails that every time my phone buzzes I’m checking 😆

Joew8
9th May 2024, 01:09
Did you have any further in-person tests along with the interview with Flight school? Skyborne I assume?

Roewester1
9th May 2024, 08:40
Did you have any further in-person tests along with the interview with Flight school? Skyborne I assume?

Those of us who did Skyborne didn't do any other tests but the FTE guys had to them again I think.

SierraLimaJuliette
9th May 2024, 08:52
I remember telling myself if I wasn't a pilot by 26, I would give up... And it was only once I turned 26 that I really made a go for it. I'm 31 now and just secured my first flying job. Along my modular pathway, I met people younger than me in their early 20s, and some in the 30s, 40s and 50s. A chap I knew on my APS MCC was in late 40s and he's just started with Jet2 - he was also offered a fully-funded flight instructor course with guarantee of job at end. There is a lot respect out there for the self-improver route, shows strong character!

That's good to hear!! I always said I wanted to be flying commercially by 30, that's the age we started having kids so you can imagine that never quite worked out...it's only now at 37 I'm really ready, looking back, at 30 I really don't think I had the resilience and drive that I have now. Did that come with age or did my kids beat that into me...suppose we'll never know lol

All I know I'll be flying one way or another, be it fully funded through BA or down the modular pathway as I had planned all along.

Good luck to you all!!! Really hoping we get good news soon!

P.S. I didn't submit my PA until 7th May so mine is still fresh...hoping to not hear anything for a while.

Flapjack321
9th May 2024, 09:19
(Geordie accent) "Dayyy 11 in the Big BA House. The contestants are getting sore index fingers from refreshing their email apps"

I am on a serious emotional roller coaster, setting myself up to handle potential dissapointment better, whilst flittering to an occasional spike of hope.

Dannamak
9th May 2024, 10:29
Done my PA on 24th April, so two weeks yesterday. I am yet to hear anything- hoping this is a good thing!

I chose Skyborne as my preferred school, and remember seeing that the Skyborne applicants heard back a fair bit later than the FTE Jerez folk last year.

Hope that this isn’t the case this year, and that everybody receives good news soon :)

FarmerG
9th May 2024, 10:51
So what are they looking for? I had assumed it was more how you say something rather than what you say, at this stage. Is that wrong?

Wizzaofplanetearth
9th May 2024, 11:02
Did everyone else get the ability to still play back their 2 recordings within the website AFTER submitting them...?

From the main menu once logged in, when you click on "My Interviews" there is a screen with various statuses and time stamps, then another link to watch your recordings. Once clicked two video thumbnails appear and can both be played (somewhat excruciating to be reminded of them again...!) but there is a "submit" button at the bottom which is weird because I'm sure I already submitted.

Also the text on the screen says "You have finished this video interview. Your answers are available to watch below. When you are ready, click continue to leave the video interview process." But the button below the thumbnails rather confusingly says "Submit" and not "Continue".... When you click it it just takes you back to the main menu again.

Now I'm probably overthinking it but worried something went wrong with the submission....

CAVOKpilot
9th May 2024, 13:16
That's good to hear!! I always said I wanted to be flying commercially by 30, that's the age we started having kids so you can imagine that never quite worked out...it's only now at 37 I'm really ready, looking back, at 30 I really don't think I had the resilience and drive that I have now. Did that come with age or did my kids beat that into me...suppose we'll never know lol

All I know I'll be flying one way or another, be it fully funded through BA or down the modular pathway as I had planned all along.

Good luck to you all!!! Really hoping we get good news soon!

P.S. I didn't submit my PA until 7th May so mine is still fresh...hoping to not hear anything for a while.

sounds like you’re on the right path. Give you an idea about my situation, I saved and spent enough on hour building over 3 years or so to reach the minimum criteria, then withdrew an unsecured personal loan to get me over the line with the CPL ME IR. Monthly repayments are £500 but could be worse! Definitely worth the investment though! I found out at the end of my first week of flight training that we were expecting a baby, so tried to get through all commercial training, UPRT and MCC before baby arrived - managed it with 10 days to spare!

kyrorb
9th May 2024, 13:28
Anyone got any idea when the emails are coming? Mine is due today and usually it was 11:30 but this has (evidently) been missed so I'm just unsure! Going mad refreshing my inbox.

Donut_Ring
9th May 2024, 13:49
sounds like you’re on the right path. Give you an idea about my situation, I saved and spent enough on hour building over 3 years or so to reach the minimum criteria, then withdrew an unsecured personal loan to get me over the line with the CPL ME IR. Monthly repayments are £500 but could be worse! Definitely worth the investment though! I found out at the end of my first week of flight training that we were expecting a baby, so tried to get through all commercial training, UPRT and MCC before baby arrived - managed it with 10 days to spare!

how much did you spend on training all in if you don’t mind sharing?

SierraLimaJuliette
9th May 2024, 14:08

Fair play to you!! That's some timing for completion! Did you manage to secure a contract in a reasonable timeframe? That's the part that scares me...I'm happy to borrow for my training and thankfully my spouse is in a very good job but there's always the worry of "it was all for naught" kind of outcome.

kyrodevv
9th May 2024, 17:16
I was one of the first to do my PA - the 25th April, so I should have heard back today. Given that it's 6pm and I have received 0 correspondence, I will assume that I will receive my outcome tomorrow. Apparently no news is good news, but that remains to be seen. Will keep you all updated.

Pilotguy85
9th May 2024, 19:19
Having had a look at some of the successful candidates from last year, not (m)any over the age of 30!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1650x936/img_7638_9658a2b6cf9684b3c5d0e5606ff54eb0a9d0af52.jpeg

Flatiron220
9th May 2024, 21:09
I was one of the first to do my PA - the 25th April, so I should have heard back today. Given that it's 6pm and I have received 0 correspondence, I will assume that I will receive my outcome tomorrow. Apparently no news is good news, but that remains to be seen. Will keep you all updated.

I did mine the day after you so tomorrow will be the 2 week mark for me. Undoubtedly this will be the BA careers team's busiest time of year and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the sheer volume of applications is more than they anticipated, especially with the pre-test guidance pack which may well have increased the number of people progressing through each stage.

CAVOKpilot
9th May 2024, 21:32
Having had a look at some of the successful candidates from last year, not (m)any over the age of 30!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1650x936/img_7638_9658a2b6cf9684b3c5d0e5606ff54eb0a9d0af52.jpeg

Not passing judgment on appearance, but for the sake of the conversation and my point, I think I spot perhaps 4 people who are 30y.o +. I think if you consider the sheer number of people in their 30s/40s that don't even bother applying because they don't think they stand a chance then perhaps the few in this photo are a good cross section and representative of entire applicants that applied. After all got to be in it to win it! Fact there are older candidates in this photo is a really positive thing for those more mature people who are considering it.

kyrodevv
9th May 2024, 22:59
I did mine the day after you so tomorrow will be the 2 week mark for me. Undoubtedly this will be the BA careers team's busiest time of year and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the sheer volume of applications is more than they anticipated, especially with the pre-test guidance pack which may well have increased the number of people progressing through each stage.

Let's hope we both get through!

Flatiron220
10th May 2024, 07:19
Done my PA on 24th April, so two weeks yesterday. I am yet to hear anything- hoping this is a good thing!

I chose Skyborne as my preferred school, and remember seeing that the Skyborne applicants heard back a fair bit later than the FTE Jerez folk last year.

Hope that this isn’t the case this year, and that everybody receives good news soon :)

I’m applying for FTE, did mine 2 weeks ago today and haven’t heard anything either- there’s every chance that BA are just a bit swamped which could be delaying things.

SierraLimaJuliette
10th May 2024, 08:04
Not passing judgment on appearance, but for the sake of the conversation and my point, I think I spot perhaps 4 people who are 30y.o +. I think if you consider the sheer number of people in their 30s/40s that don't even bother applying because they don't think they stand a chance then perhaps the few in this photo are a good cross section and representative of entire applicants that applied. After all got to be in it to win it! Fact there are older candidates in this photo is a really positive thing for those more mature people who are considering it.

To add to your point, this is about a quarter of successful applicants and solely those with Skyborne. I know for my personal reasons, I chose FTE due to the location as I have a young family, I didn't want to be in Florida with time differences etc. Plus Jerez makes it easier for my spouse and kids to come out for a weekend to see me or for me to fly home for a few nights. Maybe others in the same position had the same thoughts? I don't think we can base anything off this photo really.

I remember seeing the photo for the successful Aer Lingus candidates heading on their training, there was a man easily in his early 50's...was great to see!! Definitely a very diverse range of ages in the pic too. It did seem to be a lot smaller of an intake though, compared with BA.

TOPS
10th May 2024, 09:12
I do yes but I get so many emails that every time my phone buzzes I’m checking 😆
I hear you.... my daughter has completed the sim check with TUI (the last stage of the assessment process) and they said they'd get a call if successful, and an email if not.
Even though they also said that they would let everyone know between the 20th May and 31st of May, every time her phone rings, she's a nervous wreck!

TOPS
10th May 2024, 12:18
Yup - it's looking like no news is good news as a lot of rejection emails have already gone out - please do keep us updated - I get a feeling that all the 'congrats' emails will go out at the same time

Flapjack321
10th May 2024, 12:35
Yup - it's looking like no news is good news as a lot of rejection emails have already gone out - please do keep us updated - I get a feeling that all the 'congrats' emails will go out at the same time

Hoping so. Still nothing my end. Will update either way as soon as

chris09
10th May 2024, 12:39
Hoping so. Still nothing my end. Will update either way as soon as

Same here. My email app has never had so much use!!

Flapjack321
10th May 2024, 12:41
My phone notified me earlier that my screen time was up by almost double ha!

I'm a teacher, so whenever the students are working I am sat at my desk furiously swiping to refresh :rolleyes:

Ksw84
10th May 2024, 12:42
Likewise, nothing my end and i completed my PAX announcement on 30th April. Will keep you posted

oneredpanther
10th May 2024, 12:52
Anyone got some tips on what Physics we should be revising now?

joey7415963
10th May 2024, 12:54
My phone notified me earlier that my screen time was up by almost double ha!

I'm a teacher, so whenever the students are working I am sat at my desk furiously swiping to refresh :rolleyes:

Haha, same!

TOPS
10th May 2024, 13:42
Anyone got some tips on what Physics we should be revising now?
Physics? Is this on the next batch of tests?

Masterchief2200
10th May 2024, 13:45
Haha, same!
No way, Im a teacher too, I've got my student siting down doing moments and I'm reading these forums 😂

adelta
10th May 2024, 13:56

On one of the webinars they confirmed that the oldest successful candidate from 2023 was 41, maybe 44, I can't remember for sure - blame it on age :D

avpiper
10th May 2024, 14:45
Physics? Is this on the next batch of tests?
There were some physics questions in the second round of testing last year - info can be found in this thread way back in October-December 2023. I agree it would be good to know what level of knowledge is necessary as most people won't have done physics since school!

Flapjack321
10th May 2024, 15:29
Teachers to pilots!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather and taking their minds off the lack of response - no news is good news! (Hopefully)

Flatiron220
10th May 2024, 15:35
Hey everyone, while looking back through this thread from earlier someone was asking about showing Scottish qualifications’ compatibility with GCSEs etc- I’ve got Nat 5s and Highers under my belt but am unsure whether I need to provide a letter from someone testifying to their compatibility?

Any help really appreciated.

adelta
10th May 2024, 15:49
There were some physics questions in the second round of testing last year - info can be found in this thread way back in October-December 2023. I agree it would be good to know what level of knowledge is necessary as most people won't have done physics since school!

I made it to the flight school interview stage last year, with Skyborne, and had no further physics questions after the initial online numerical and verbal reasoning tests. When were yours? There were spatial awareness tests, reaction time tests and so on, but no physics. Were you with FTE Jerez, I know their tests were a little different.

avpiper
10th May 2024, 16:00
Hey everyone, while looking back through this thread from earlier someone was asking about showing Scottish qualifications’ compatibility with GCSEs etc- I’ve got Nat 5s and Highers under my belt but am unsure whether I need to provide a letter from someone testifying to their compatibility?

Any help really appreciated.
I'm also a Scottish student although I only have my 8 Nat 5s, no highers as I left school early. GCSE (AQA? Level 2) and Nat5 (SQA Level 5) are exactly equivalent so Highers are not necessary for this program. Not sure about the letter of compatibility but I would think you won't need to do anything other than provide your Nat5 SQA certificates as the application asked for GCSE or equivalent.

avpiper
10th May 2024, 16:02
I made it to the flight school interview stage last year, with Skyborne, and had no further physics questions after the initial online numerical and verbal reasoning tests. When were yours? There were spatial awareness tests, reaction time tests and so on, but no physics. Were you with FTE Jerez, I know their tests were a little different.
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't make it that far last year but was going off what was mentioned in last year's thread. Must have interpreted the thread posts incorrectly!

Flatiron220
10th May 2024, 16:04
I'm also a Scottish student although I only have my 8 Nat 5s, no highers as I left school early. GCSE (AQA? Level 2) and Nat5 (SQA Level 5) are exactly equivalent so Highers are not necessary for this program. Not sure about the letter of compatibility but I would think you won't need to do anything other than provide your Nat5 SQA certificates as the application asked for GCSE or equivalent.

Fab, thanks very much for your quick response! I sent the latest copy of my certificate as part of the application so hopefully should be fine.

Flatiron220
10th May 2024, 16:11

Jerez’s pre-test guidance document has a few physics concepts such as work done, moments, ohm’s law etc. As someone who didn’t take physics for Nat 5 (GCSE equivalent) it’s very useful to read up about these in advance.

Flapjack321
10th May 2024, 18:25
Assuming nobody heard anything today then?

Guess it will be Monday! Although I did get my PA invitation on a Sunday

Flatiron220
10th May 2024, 18:42
Assuming nobody heard anything today then?

Guess it will be Monday! Although I did get my PA invitation on a Sunday

Nothing here, including checking junk mail. If my understanding is correct it means that a number of us are ‘overdue’ a response as per the 2 week timeframe BA set.

No shade from me, I understand this will be the recruitment team’s busiest time of year and while I’m sure we’d appreciate a quicker response it just adds on to their high workload.

I will not check my email every 20 seconds…

RHT23
11th May 2024, 10:33
Still waiting...

Oasis
11th May 2024, 13:05
Nothing here, including checking junk mail. If my understanding is correct it means that a number of us are ‘overdue’ a response as per the 2 week timeframe BA set.

No shade from me, I understand this will be the recruitment team’s busiest time of year and while I’m sure we’d appreciate a quicker response it just adds on to their high workload.

I will not check my email every 20 seconds… You can set up your phone to give you a notification if it's from a certain sender. You can make it a 'shortcut' if you have an iphone.

Flatiron220
11th May 2024, 17:12
You can set up your phone to give you a notification if it's from a certain sender. You can make it a 'shortcut' if you have an iphone.

Good to know!

kyrodevv
12th May 2024, 14:02
Been speaking to some people! Last year apparently the invitation for assessment was sent depending on your Flight School. We should have heard back by now, but if we haven't been rejected then, according to them, they are most likely waiting to send the invitation in full.

PirateAJ
12th May 2024, 16:50
Does anybody have any rough idea on how leave and breaks throughout the 18month long course would work? I fully understand and appreciate we are training and working towards a very intense career, but surely they must have at least a few days break here and there.

Catherine Mullins
12th May 2024, 17:30
Has anyone had an update?

Waiting Patiently!
Hoping to hear by the 21st as that’s when I am away!

TOPS
12th May 2024, 18:19

Waiting Patiently!
Some rejection emails have already gone out
But, as the first in-person assessment is on Monday 27th May, I reckon we'll start hearing back from tomorrow as they'll try to give a couple of weeks' notice for those who are going for that first one
I'm sure you'll hear one way or the other by the 21st

Ksw84
12th May 2024, 18:19

Waiting Patiently!

No update for me, submittsubmitted my PAX announcement on 30th April

ashleysly
13th May 2024, 06:37
Hoping to hear back today or at least this week. I know Skybourne state they have the online assessments between 20th and 27th May. I haven’t been rejected… yet. But I remain optimistic and hope no news has been good news.
I sit at my desk and in the bus (I’m a bus driver currently) refreshing emails every 30 seconds😂

Flapjack321
13th May 2024, 09:08
Really hoping to get a response today, one way or the other just to end the constant email checking!

Dannamak
13th May 2024, 10:57
Hoping to hear back today or at least this week. I know Skybourne state they have the online assessments between 20th and 27th May. I haven’t been rejected… yet. But I remain optimistic and hope no news has been good news.
I sit at my desk and in the bus (I’m a bus driver currently) refreshing emails every 30 seconds😂
Forgot the Skyborne assessments began next Monday! I guess this week is the week we find out then :)

TOPS
13th May 2024, 11:50
Does anybody have any rough idea on how leave and breaks throughout the 18month long course would work? I fully understand and appreciate we are training and working towards a very intense career, but surely they must have at least a few days break here and there.
They'll probably announce that when you start - depending which industry you're in, it's known as block leave - so they'll say 2 weeks from this date to this date, 10 days from this to this etc etc
So you'll get 5 - 6 weeks in total, obvious dates are Christmas, Easter and summer etc
But as they'll own you, they don't and won't ask you - it's implied that's it is what it is and you'll work around it - same as when you're qualified and a new rota is issued, get on with it while the senior pilots have their choice of leave dates as they'll bid for them
Best of luck

TOPS
13th May 2024, 12:00
No update for me, submittsubmitted my PAX announcement on 30th April
Same here - some submitted earlier and some much later - we're all working on the no news is good news and more so after another comment that if we haven't heard so far, then the chances are better and we'll get a full invitation to/from the flight school.
If that's the case, then they've already decided, they'll be finalising the logistics and dividing us all up between schools, dates and sessions.
I'm checking here more as I get notifications from my email so no need to check that