View Full Version : Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

IfAnyoneCan
24th Oct 2023, 15:57
Anyone from the FTE assessments still waiting to hear anything? I attended the Friday assessment day myself and yet to here good/bad.

Pylot1999
24th Oct 2023, 16:15
Yeah but TUI is a huge company that probably has many recruitment people to interview contestants. Skyborne is an independent flight school with probably only a handful of people interviewing. From sources, I know at the video interview stage they cut it down to 2000, 3000ish. Whoever passed the video assessment I would then imagine was cut down to about a 1000 for the assessments. From then it was likely to cut to 500 at most. Also FTE only had like 3 or 4 days of assessments and group exercise. That in itself suggests numbers are much lower now in the few hundred likely. My guess is that they will have 20 to 30 per day at the skyborne interviews. Thats a heck of a lot of in person interviews for 1000 people. Therefore more likely that it's now a few hundred

They told us on the FTE day it's down to 800 for the assessment stage across the board. 70 slots instead of the 60 they mentioned at the start.

MarmalAbe
24th Oct 2023, 16:29
using this as my third post so I can DM members haha. Will DM you once I’m able to. Thank you for setting it up.

Gonna try use this as my third aswell as they’re not getting through elsewhere haha.

marinecitro
24th Oct 2023, 17:08
I’d like it to be lower to improve my chances but I remember reading that Tui interviewed 2000 for half the number of jobs, and probably fewer applicants. I’m sure we will find out soon enough though.

Were these online interviews?

PPRuNeUser0195
24th Oct 2023, 18:39
Were these online interviews?

I’m not sure, it was just in an online press release about a month back that they said it.

Buccaneer29
24th Oct 2023, 20:09
I’d like it to be lower to improve my chances but I remember reading that Tui interviewed 2000 for half the number of jobs, and probably fewer applicants. I’m sure we will find out soon enough though.

This is well out on all fronts. Tui had 30 places available and invited around 100 for in person group exercises, role play assessment and interview. Not sure where you read these numbers, but completely wide of the mark.

For what it is worth, during the BA/FTEJerez presentation at Waterside, they informed us that at that stage (pre last round of cuts for both) there were 800 applicants remaining from 23,000 or 26,000 (depending on who you asked) for 70 spaces across the two schools.

PPRuNeUser0195
25th Oct 2023, 06:18
This is well out on all fronts. Tui had 30 places available and invited around 100 for in person group exercises, role play assessment and interview. Not sure where you read these numbers, but completely wide of the mark.

For what it is worth, during the BA/FTEJerez presentation at Waterside, they informed us that at that stage (pre last round of cuts for both) there were 800 applicants remaining from 23,000 or 26,000 (depending on who you asked) for 70 spaces across the two schools.

It was in this article here. May have meant the digital interview if that’s the case, I wasn’t at the FTE day so didn’t know the numbers they had specified.

https://www.pilotcareernews.com/tui-welcomes-diverse-group-of-new-cadets/

nirip27
25th Oct 2023, 09:22
The 2000 interviewed from tui was likely done as a video interview assessment. E.g. They were being asked questions and then would've have to record their answers to it. If there were 800 in total at the assessment stage for both FTe and skyborne combined they are going to be well down now to 200 to 300 I reckon.

Kilo2708
25th Oct 2023, 14:02
Set up a WA group for people to chat. Ping me your number on DM if you want to join.

Could you send me a message also? Didn’t realise you had to have 3 posts to DM!

CTO04
25th Oct 2023, 15:01
Gonna try use this as my third aswell as they’re not getting through elsewhere haha.

I've had an email saying you DM'd me but it says I was unable to receive it due to my inbox being full... It's empty. I'm not sure if there's a fix for this?

avi_tech_93
25th Oct 2023, 17:00
Yeah seems like it should be enough! I've emailed them to ask about it so will post if I hear anything otherwise
Hello, you have the same question as me. Did you get any reply for it? If not, I'll just take the stuff which they mentioned in the short 'what to expect' guide.

avi_tech_93
25th Oct 2023, 17:04
Hello, you've got exactly the same question as me, did you get a reply for it? If not, I'll just take the documents which they said in the 'what to expect' guide.

Flyer124
25th Oct 2023, 19:26
Set up a WA group for people to chat. Ping me your number on DM if you want to join.

Not sure if I can DM yet, if not, if you could DM me that would be appreciated!

incognitoaviator
25th Oct 2023, 19:30
Hey, no I haven't had a response from them unfortunately. I think it's probably a copy and paste error, so I reckon it's fine to just bring what's in the guide we have

DawnChorus01
26th Oct 2023, 07:10
People who have been to a skybourne interview, was it just an interview or did they make some people redo tests or maybe have a group interview ?

was there anything special in the presentation they gave ?

avi_tech_93
26th Oct 2023, 12:29
Ok, sounds good! Not too sure what I can bring for 'proof of right to live and work in the UK', hoping that my passport is good enough to show!

krankenhaus145
26th Oct 2023, 14:24
What did everyone think of the online FTE aptitude assessments? I thought all were reasonable apart from the memory one, rather difficult!

flyguy21
26th Oct 2023, 15:24
not bad. agreed in the memory one, didn't get any of the 'level 3' questions. struggled with the deductive reasoning somehow despite doing well on the practice ones. also thought monitoring was very hard as per the practice ones, got quite a a lot wrong. i'm not sure if you need a certain score on each individual test or if only combined score is considered.

krankenhaus145
26th Oct 2023, 17:08
Yeah, same here. I struggled with that memory one, and I misclicked once on the reaction speed test, so I hope that I made up for it with decent scores in the other tests. We’ll see! Any idea when we might hear back?
Glad many are on the same page about memory! I should think it shouldn't be too long. I believe that today was the last day of FTE assessments? If so, surely it shouldn't take them too long to gather all scores - and if it's purely data driven - knock off the lowest scorers? So I'm hoping it's some point next week?

IfAnyoneCan
27th Oct 2023, 13:36
Anyone still waiting to hear back from the FTE waterside assessments a couple of weeks back? Still yet to hear anything me

PPRuNeUser0195
28th Oct 2023, 11:45
It’s interesting that people are so willing to put their numbers on here for everyone to see, especially considering that recruiters are probably watching the forums. They now know who you are as they have your number on record, and can see every post you’ve made here and in other places. Nothing against a WhatsApp group if that’s what people want to do but people ought to be more careful with what they put out there for everyone to see.

pilotHS24
30th Oct 2023, 22:33
What’s the parking situation like at waterside? For those that have drove where did you park?

3seatmaniac
30th Oct 2023, 22:51
What’s the parking situation like at waterside? For those that have drove where did you park?

No parking available for us at Waterside but I booked parking at the Premier Inn by T5 through Your Parking Space. Very cheap for the day (when I booked at least) and only a 10-15 minute walk to Waterside.

pilotHS24
30th Oct 2023, 23:11
Thanks, I’ll look into it! How did it go for you?

Jake98
31st Oct 2023, 11:04
Anyone hear back from FTE's aptitude yet?

krankenhaus145
31st Oct 2023, 11:33
Anyone hear back from FTE's aptitude yet?
No, I haven't. If it's raw scores and they just chop off the bottom set of scores, then I don't see why it wouldn't be announced at some point today. Maybe there's other factors in consideration, such as age. It's so nerve-racking, though! I need to know......

Jake98
31st Oct 2023, 11:38
I think Waterside assessments are still happening for Skybourne so may be a case of waiting for those to finish so they can gauge final numbers. Agreed though, horrible waiting game!

krankenhaus145
31st Oct 2023, 11:47
I think Waterside assessments are still happening for Skybourne so may be a case of waiting for those to finish so they can gauge final numbers. Agreed though, horrible waiting game!
Could be, but I would have thought we were a seperate batch of applicants than them at this point? Not sure though. Some FTE applicants still haven't heard back (from their waterside testing). It may be a while but I sure hope not!

3seatmaniac
31st Oct 2023, 11:53
Thanks, I’ll look into it! How did it go for you?

I've not had my interview just yet so I can't say.

3seatmaniac
31st Oct 2023, 12:06
Could be, but I would have thought we were a seperate batch of applicants than them at this point? Not sure though. Some FTE applicants still haven't heard back (from their waterside testing). It may be a while but I sure hope not!

Skyborne interviews are going on until 08/11 so it's likely going to be the case that both Skyborne and FTE candidates won't hear back until w/c 13/11. I imagine all candidates will be notified at the same time as it would otherwise give FTE candidates an unfair advantage in terms of preparation time over Skyborne candidates. That's just my understanding so I could, of course, be wrong.

Buccaneer29
31st Oct 2023, 13:09
As far as I understand, FTE candidates have still yet to have the flight school interview, so are actually behind Skybourne at this stage.

krankenhaus145
31st Oct 2023, 13:11
Skyborne interviews are going on until 08/11 so it's likely going to be the case that both Skyborne and FTE candidates won't hear back until w/c 13/11. I imagine all candidates will be notified at the same time as it would otherwise give FTE candidates an unfair advantage in terms of preparation time over Skyborne candidates. That's just my understanding so I could, of course, be wrong.
FTE hasn't had any interviews yet. We've just completed the final testing stage. Surely we should hear back fairly soon so we can start interviews - to get up to the same stage as Skybourne applicants? Unsure of how FTE candidates would gain an advantage?

Jake98
31st Oct 2023, 13:18
I believe Skybourne applicants are basically doing the stage that FTE candidates done prior to the aptitude testing now - so once they've finished them, I'd imagine everyone will be notified at the same time for the final stage (BA Assessment day) so it gives everyone the same amount of time to prepare.

3seatmaniac
31st Oct 2023, 13:26
I believe Skybourne applicants are basically doing the stage that FTE candidates done prior to the aptitude testing now - so once they've finished them, I'd imagine everyone will be notified at the same time for the final stage (BA Assessment day) so it gives everyone the same amount of time to prepare.

This was also my understanding. Krankenhaus145, although the FTE stage at Waterside was different to Skyborne’s with FTE not having an explicit interview, that is perhaps down to how each flight school recruits. The next stage for Skyborne candidates following these interviews will be the final assessment centre with BA and it’s my understanding that this is also the case with FTE.

That being said, the selection process for the Academy isn’t detailed by FTE on their website like Skyborne’s is and so I could be wrong.

speedbirdcc
1st Nov 2023, 04:04
I heard back on Monday from FTE regarding the cut E tests to say was successful and invited to an online 1-1 interview the following day

ultrahummus
1st Nov 2023, 09:54
I was invited on Monday for an FTE online interview and did it yesterday - they only gave 1 day notice! Was that the same for you guys as well? Especially those that did the cut-e on Wed instead of Tue last week

ChippoPilot
1st Nov 2023, 17:06
Has anyone on this thread been invited for a 1-1 interview at FTE?
Edit: The previous posts hadn't been published when I asked that, oops! I also was given one day notice and felt like the interview itself was quite short, but packed in lots of questions!

flyguy21
1st Nov 2023, 18:28
I was invited on Monday for an FTE online interview and did it yesterday - they only gave 1 day notice! Was that the same for you guys as well? Especially those that did the cut-e on Wed instead of Tue last week

congrats on making it to the interview stage! curious when did you do your cut e tests?

ultrahummus
2nd Nov 2023, 05:38
congrats on making it to the interview stage! curious when did you do your cut e tests?

Thank you. That was Tuesday last week.

krankenhaus145
2nd Nov 2023, 10:58
I heard back on Monday from FTE regarding the cut E tests to say was successful and invited to an online 1-1 interview the following day
That's great!

I did my cut-e tests on Thursday and haven't heard anything back yet. So, hoping it won't be too long!!!

OpticFS
2nd Nov 2023, 19:50
[QUOTE=krankenhaus145;11531896]That's great!

I did my cut-e tests on Thursday and haven't heard anything back yet. So, hoping it won't be too long!!!

I did my test Tuesday really struggled to concentrate unfortunately due to having to have an operation the same day for the first time ever (not an excuse) I didn’t find the majority of tests too difficult however I did find the memory and monitoring quite tough. Haven’t heard anything back as of yet but with those having interviews now and no new comments of any more passing the waterside testing stage it does feel like I’ve been unsuccessful now. However no reason to keep down about it as I got this far on only my first attempt at applying for a scheme of this sort so with more work and practice on the Cut-e tests hopefully I can be successful next time round. It has been a good experience and a great opportunity and good luck to those remaining in the process as you’re all in the final stages and have done amazingly to get that far.

speedsynthesis
3rd Nov 2023, 10:08
That's great!

Has anyone who completed the tests on Thursday been informed of their result?

173plogger
3rd Nov 2023, 13:45
Just got invited to my interview with FTE there, I had almost given up hope. I did my assessments on Thursday last week.

ChippoPilot
3rd Nov 2023, 19:14
Optic, you're absolutely right to not be disheartened with your progress in the application process, making it from 20k+ down to a few hundred is really something to be proud of.

I feel your pain of being in a situation whereby you've not heard anything and are left to assume that no news is bad news. I had an interview that I think could have gone better. Now, late in the week, I'm finding myself thinking that it's late on a Friday, I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming no news is bad news.

There's always a possibility that the FTE interviews are going on for a few more days and perhaps your time will still come, and perhaps that is why they haven't made any decisions on who to progress from this stage.

In a perfect world it would be nice if there was complete transparency, e.g. an email from the schools/BA each week to summarise where the process is at would be nice. Something along the lines of "We are reviewing the first round of interviews for FTE and outcomes of the first interview batch will be sent out by Tuesday next week".

I'm being an idealist here and fully understand that BA and the schools have a massive task in front of them so I don't expect them to add to their overhead with extra communication. However for those of us who don't have the means to fund our own flying training, every stage is a step closer to a life changing opportunity and the suspense is killer!

Keep hanging in everyone, and try to avoid the 'no news is bad news' thoughts!

krankenhaus145
3rd Nov 2023, 19:29
Has anyone who completed the tests on Thursday been informed of their result?
I haven't yet. Did my test at 10:30 slot I think.

krankenhaus145
3rd Nov 2023, 19:30
Just got invited to my interview with FTE there, I had almost given up hope. I did my assessments on Thursday last week.
Was it over email?

173plogger
3rd Nov 2023, 20:51
Was it over email?

Yeah mate earlier today.

Karen1
3rd Nov 2023, 23:19
It’s interesting that people are so willing to put their numbers on here for everyone to see, especially considering that recruiters are probably watching the forums. They now know who you are as they have your number on record, and can see every post you’ve made here and in other places. Nothing against a WhatsApp group if that’s what people want to do but people ought to be more careful with what they put out there for everyone to see.

Have you got accepted? Or are you waiting for interview?

WanderingMinstrel
4th Nov 2023, 14:19
Has anyone on this thread been invited for a 1-1 interview at FTE?
Edit: The previous posts hadn't been published when I asked that, oops! I also was given one day notice and felt like the interview itself was quite short, but packed in lots of questions!

How long did yours go on for? Mine was around 40 minutes, but the questions kept coming. Unsure whether I answered them well, but I guess we will find out in a couples weeks. 🤞

ultrahummus
5th Nov 2023, 14:00
Does anybody know for certain how long till we hear back for FTE?

krankenhaus145
6th Nov 2023, 10:48
Does anybody know for certain how long till we hear back for FTE?

I heard back today, through to an interview this Friday.

krankenhaus145
6th Nov 2023, 12:44
On Friday? I only had one day’s notice!
Yep, Friday the 10th! I was expecting one days notice, but I suppose I got lucky! Did yours go well?

Alex Whittingham
6th Nov 2023, 12:48
Spoke to BA over the weekend. There were 30,000 registrations and 22,000 completed applications for this.

fly744
7th Nov 2023, 16:43
Was the FTE interview online? or had to travel to Jerez for that?

WanderingMinstrel
7th Nov 2023, 16:45
Was the FTE interview online? or had to travel to Jerez for that?

It was online.

WanderingMinstrel
7th Nov 2023, 19:02
Just an online interview on a software similar to Zoom. No need to travel just yet! :)

There’s no travelling left other than those who get invited back to Waterside for the BA final assessment/interview, right?

Oh, and of course the lucky few who get to move to Jerez next year. ;)

krankenhaus145
7th Nov 2023, 22:55
To be honest I’m not sure - I keep second-guessing how I answered the questions, but I suppose everyone will be in the same boat. I asked the interviewer when we’d hear back about this, and she said we’ll have results by the 13th at the latest. I assume Skyborne will get their results at the same time, giving successful candidates the same chance to prepare for the final stage!
What is the final stage? Isn't it a second interview?

Gordomac
8th Nov 2023, 08:33
Getting tense. Just to lighten up ; Final interview also with Psycho. Goes like this :

Psyche shows candidate diagram. Lots of squigely lines and asks; "What do you see here ?"
CAND. "Boobs. Biggens. Not a boobs man myself but, nice."
Showing a second diagram. More squigley lines, asks;
"Well, what do you see here ?"
CAND." Ooooh. My fave. I call this 'Club sandwich' -. Two naked chics, me in the middle."
Psyche, now looking exasperated shows final diagram. Lots of coloured squigley lines and head cradled , asks........
"Well, what do you see her ?"
CND; "Yuck. Full blown orgy. five guys, five gals. Not my scene !".
PSYCH. " Yeah, we know, you like club sandwich but, look, you know, you are obsessed with sex !"
CAND;" "ME ????".........Whatabout you,showing me all these dirty pictures !!".

Damn, just given you bods answers to the final quiz. Good luck.

nysm
8th Nov 2023, 16:25
Does anyone know when applications will reopen?

sudden twang
8th Nov 2023, 18:52
[QUOTE=Gordomac;11535358]Getting tense. Just to lighten up ; Final interview also with Psycho. Goes like this :

:ugh:

WanderingMinstrel
9th Nov 2023, 08:17
Does anyone know when applications will reopen?

Spring time, around March.

PPRuNeUser0195
13th Nov 2023, 11:24
Anyone heard anything yet? I was under the impression we’d have heard back by now!

I was told at my interview no earlier than the 14th we would hear back.

Airplane987
13th Nov 2023, 11:26
Anyone heard anything yet? I was under the impression we’d have heard back by now!

Same here - I think earliest we'll hear back is tomorrow afternoon.

PPRuNeUser0195
13th Nov 2023, 11:42
No earlier? Okay, that calms the nerves a little! Hope it’s not too much longer to wait🤞

Yeah they said the earliest we can expect to hear back is the 14th so anytime from tomorrow onwards.

krankenhaus145
13th Nov 2023, 12:48
Yeah they said the earliest we can expect to hear back is the 14th so anytime from tomorrow onwards.
At my interview they said the same thing, but its more likely to be end of this week or beginning of the next, becuase the last interviews are today and then they have to review each application to choose who to send through. I'm not sure how quickly they'll do it, but we'll see

flyguy21
13th Nov 2023, 13:33
Did other people have just one person interviewing them for FTE? I assumed there'd be maybe two on the panel as interview responses can be very subjective and up to the interpretation of one person. I guess that it makes sense as it would be a lot for them to invest in the recruitment process if every candidate had two interviewers, but can't help but think that interviewer holds a lot of power!

lemony
13th Nov 2023, 14:18
I have had an e-mail response today at around 13.30, hope you all get yours today too and get the news you are hoping for. We just need to remember how well we have all done in getting to this point, and how competitive the process has been. (Skyborne candidate)

swannley
13th Nov 2023, 14:30
I have had an e-mail response today at around 13.30, hope you all get yours today too and get the news you are hoping for. We just need to remember how well we have all done in getting to this point, and how competitive the process has been. (Skyborne candidate)
Was it the news you were hoping for?

ChippoPilot
13th Nov 2023, 14:31
Congratulations to lemony and anyone else who has received good news! You must be so chuffed!

Has anyone from the FTE pool received a response? I haven't but then again I really don't think my interview went well so I'm not exactly expecting a good response...

WanderingMinstrel
13th Nov 2023, 17:46
Congratulations to lemony and anyone else who has received good news! You must be so chuffed!

Has anyone from the FTE pool received a response? I haven't but then again I really don't think my interview went well so I'm not exactly expecting a good response...

I haven’t yet, I’m so anxious! Also feel quite crap about my interview. I just want to know so I know if I need to move on. :sad:

krankenhaus145
14th Nov 2023, 13:30
I haven’t heard back yet, no. Like you, I think my interview wasn’t the best, but I suppose they’re all subjective so it very much depends on what my interviewer thought!

Wishing everyone all the best for when the emails get sent out!
I haven't heard back either. It's hard not to worry but nothing can be done now, it's just a waiting game! I'm sure you all did fine :)

Buccaneer29
14th Nov 2023, 17:11
Does anyone know if there were candidates for FTE who sat the cut-e tests but didn’t get invited to the interview, or did everyone get an interview and the two will be judged together?

joey7415963
14th Nov 2023, 19:34
Hi All,

Forgive me as there are many more things I bet you guys are concerned with at the moment. After some time licking my wounds, I was wondering if anyone who got past the video assessment could give me some pointers? (I know that must feel an age ago for you guys!)

What format did you go for with your CV? Was it stylised, fancy and laid out, or to the point and plain?
With the essay question, what types of things did you write? I'm especially interested in those that have limited to no flying experience.
The questions that followed the video interview felt quite rushed after having read the text, did you find the same? Did you spend very long describing your answers?

No worries if you're too busy or would rather not answer, but it'd be really helpful for my next attempt. Either way, never thought it could be a possibility but to even get to that stage on my first try I'm quite please.

Sorry again to go a little off piste and good luck to those still in the race!

krankenhaus145
14th Nov 2023, 20:12
So, it's through to the BA in person interview? Or you're literally now on the scheme? Congrats either way

krankenhaus145
14th Nov 2023, 20:14
Congrats!! Very pleased for you and all those who have heard good news already.

Has any FTE candidate had anything sent yet? I’m slowly losing hope :(

No one has heard back from FTE regarding their in person BA email yet. We've all had our online interviews however. Don't lose hope!! Try to stay positive unless you actually hear otherwise

TrackingFlights
14th Nov 2023, 20:14
So, it's through to the BA in person interview? Or you're literally now on the scheme? Congrats either way
It's the final stage - BA assessment centre - for the Skyborne people now. Next week and the week after.

krankenhaus145
14th Nov 2023, 20:44
It's the final stage - BA assessment centre - for the Skyborne people now. Next week and the week after.

Very nice. Hopefully won't be too much longer for fte candidates to find out!! Should be this week some point

PPRuNeUser0195
14th Nov 2023, 21:32
Hi All,

Forgive me as there are many more things I bet you guys are concerned with at the moment. After some time licking my wounds, I was wondering if anyone who got past the video assessment could give me some pointers? (I know that must feel an age ago for you guys!)

What format did you go for with your CV? Was it stylised, fancy and laid out, or to the point and plain?
With the essay question, what types of things did you write? I'm especially interested in those that have limited to no flying experience.
The questions that followed the video interview felt quite rushed after having read the text, did you find the same? Did you spend very long describing your answers?

No worries if you're too busy or would rather not answer, but it'd be really helpful for my next attempt. Either way, never thought it could be a possibility but to even get to that stage on my first try I'm quite please.

Give me a PM and I’ll give you some tips, heavily caveated with the fact I’m not a recruiter so it’s just my thoughts!

joey7415963
14th Nov 2023, 22:23
Give me a PM and I’ll give you some tips, heavily caveated with the fact I’m not a recruiter so it’s just my thoughts!

Thanks so much, that's kind of you!

krankenhaus145
15th Nov 2023, 00:20
Hi All,

I don't mind giving you some help either, feel free to pm me too.

joey7415963
15th Nov 2023, 05:34
I don't mind giving you some help either, feel free to pm me too.

Thank you too, pm sent 😊

adelta
15th Nov 2023, 06:56
Hello,

I have now received the generic thank you but no thank you email. In this email it states that no feedback will be given, however at Waterside they told us we would indeed receive feedback.

Has anyone else been rejected at this stage and received feedback?

Secondly, I was near the upper age limit. I've heard that the age limit being 55 is a tick box exercise and anyone over 45 is going to be disadvantaged.

Now I'm not saying this is why I was unsuccessful, as I totally let myself down in the interview, but I would be interested to know how many mature applicants (around the 50 mark) made it through.

Best of luck and congratulations to those that are moving to the next stage and for those of us who aren't, never give up the dream!

WanderingMinstrel
15th Nov 2023, 09:04
Hello,

I have now received the generic thank you but no thank you email. In this email it states that no feedback will be given, however at Waterside they told us we would indeed receive feedback.

Secondly, I was near the upper age limit. I've heard that the age limit being 55 is a tick box exercise and anyone over 45 is going to be disadvantaged.

Now I'm not saying this is why I was unsuccessful, as I totally let myself down in the interview, but I would be interested to know how many mature applicants (around the 50 mark) made it through.

Best of luck and congratulations to those that are moving to the next stage and for those of us who aren't, never give up the dream!

Hi adelta,

Sorry to hear you’ve received this news. Definitely press for feedback since they did indeed promise it to those who made it to Waterside.

Were you streamed into FTE or Skyborne for the selection process?

PPRuNeUser0195
15th Nov 2023, 09:21
Hello,

I’m not sure of the ages of people who got through, but honestly I don’t think people would be disadvantaged based on age, they were quite clear that there were no barriers to entry. If you made it to the first waterside stage then realistically it would’ve been just based on the interview letting you down sadly.

adelta
15th Nov 2023, 11:19
Hi adelta,

Sorry to hear you’ve received this news. Definitely press for feedback since they did indeed promise it to those who made it to Waterside.

It was for Skyborne

PPRuNeUser0195
15th Nov 2023, 15:16
Hi adelta,

I think when they said those who get through to waterside they were referring to the final stage, given that FTE individuals didn’t go to waterside for their interviews.

WanderingMinstrel
15th Nov 2023, 15:47
I think when they said those who get through to waterside they were referring to the final stage, given that FTE individuals didn’t go to waterside for their interviews.

FTE did mention when we went to Waterside that anything after the video interview (so the parts they run) such as the written exam, aptitude testing and personal interviews would be provided with feedback if we were not successful.

PPRuNeUser0195
15th Nov 2023, 15:50
FTE did mention when we went to Waterside that anything after the video interview (so the parts they run) such as the written exam, aptitude testing and personal interviews would be provided with feedback if we were not successful.

Ah fair enough! I guess they’re still doing a lot of work processing applications and some feedback for people may come out at a later date when they have a bit more capacity.

WanderingMinstrel
15th Nov 2023, 18:26
Ah fair enough! I guess they’re still doing a lot of work processing applications and some feedback for people may come out at a later date when they have a bit more capacity.

I guess so, they are certainly taking their time with updates! Surely have to be released this week though.

ironduke043
16th Nov 2023, 14:39
Does anyone know if there were candidates for FTE who sat the cut-e tests but didn’t get invited to the interview, or did everyone get an interview and the two will be judged together?
I Sat the FTE Cut-e, I thought I did well but apparently not as I found myself with a rejection letter last week. Obviously It's not fantastic but I will keep trying. However, what confused me was that the letter initially reads "Thank you for attending your interview". Is this the generic rejection letter from BA as they don't know exactly where I failed with FTE or have I genuinely missed an interview?

WanderingMinstrel
16th Nov 2023, 18:53
Received an invite to Waterside for the final stage. FTE applicant. :)

TrackingFlights
16th Nov 2023, 18:57
Well done!
What are the dates for FTE? Skyborne is all of next week and all of the week after .

WanderingMinstrel
16th Nov 2023, 19:00
Well done!
What are the dates for FTE? Skyborne is all of next week and all of the week after .

From the 4th of December to the 8th of December, unless there was another page of dates which I didn’t notice.

krankenhaus145
16th Nov 2023, 19:25
yep, same!

krankenhaus145
17th Nov 2023, 14:23
> think my odds atp must be about 1 to 2 or 1 to 3 with the amount of applicants left.
> today BA announces that they're now taking on 100 people to the scheme instead of 70.....

The odds are now looking in whoever-is-left's favour...
Best of luck to you all :)

BAW pilot wannabe
17th Nov 2023, 15:10
That announcement was very interesting - I was doing some 'calculations' based on the final interview dates.

I believe there are 9 dates for Skyborne and 5 dates for FTE - I was thinking there are 8 candidates per day (based on what is said in the what to expect about the interview part)

I'd guess that is 72 skyborne candidates, and 40 FTE left. Although my guessing could be well out if they now have 100 spaces.

If there were 16 people a day then there are 224 people to be interviewed and then that's a 45% chance at being successful. (if there are 8 a day, then 90% chance)

The odds are looking good, so now its time to do more prep to increase my odds!!

Good luck to all remaining

krankenhaus145
17th Nov 2023, 19:05
That announcement was very interesting - I was doing some 'calculations' based on the final interview dates.

I believe there are 9 dates for Skyborne and 5 dates for FTE - I was thinking there are 8 candidates per day (based on what is said in the what to expect about the interview part)

I'd guess that is 72 skyborne candidates, and 40 FTE left. Although my guessing could be well out if they now have 100 spaces.

If there were 16 people a day then there are 224 people to be interviewed and then that's a 45% chance at being successful. (if there are 8 a day, then 90% chance)

The odds are looking good, so now its time to do more prep to increase my odds!!

Good luck to all remaining
Assuming there was 70 places beforehand, and now there's 100, that means that there's an extra 15 places going, per flight school. (Assuming it's distributed equally). As, if you say, there is around 40 people left for FTE, then that would mean (35+15 = 50) places left, that everyone at fte would have a place, presuming they met the requirements? Almost insane odds😅. Unless my maths is wrong or it's an uneven distribution between skybourne and fte then my goodness those are the best odds I've ever bare witness to.

BAW pilot wannabe
17th Nov 2023, 19:33
I wonder if Skyborne will increase the number of Speedbird cadets per course, maybe to 15cadets: 5 self-funded so that there are 45 cadets over a 6 month period instead of the initial 30? if the numbers we're thinking are correct the FTE guys are pretty much through, unless they do something to convince BA otherwise.

For everyone at the final stages it is very good news, although it will make it far worse to be unsuccessful at this stage knowing they have increased the number of places and reaching the final hurdle.

It would definitely be interesting to know the actual number of people still in at this stage and the split of spaces at each ATO

RoloPolo39
17th Nov 2023, 21:26
Assuming there was 70 places beforehand, and now there's 100, that means that there's an extra 15 places going, per flight school. (Assuming it's distributed equally). As, if you say, there is around 40 people left for FTE, then that would mean (35+15 = 50) places left, that everyone at fte would have a place, presuming they met the requirements? Almost insane odds😅. Unless my maths is wrong or it's an uneven distribution between skybourne and fte then my goodness those are the best odds I've ever bare witness to.

Initial 70 wasn’t split equally.

Skybourne 50
FTE 20

173plogger
17th Nov 2023, 23:51
Initial 70 wasn’t split equally.

Skybourne 50
FTE 20

When I spoke to one of the recruiters at Waterside they said it was a 30-40 split FTE-Skyborne.

mz98
18th Nov 2023, 09:30
Been told by Skyborne that there will be between 8-12 candidates on each course, with courses commencing in March, April, May, July, August, September

Also on the number making it to the final assessment - I am reliably told that BA were initially planning to bring c.150 to the final stage (from both FTO combined) when there were 70 places. I cannot imagine they would lower that number to the 120 calculated above especially when there are now more places. I am operating under the assumption that there will be 16 candidates on each day, so 240 total left. Another piece of evidence which points towards this is the "Networking" section of the information doc which states "It is important that candidates do not discuss the activities with each other". This to me implies that there will be 2x groups of 8 sitting the different sections at different times.

I could of course be completely wrong as well! But as I say, can't imagine they'll have lowered the number of candidates whilst increasing the number of places.

mz98
18th Nov 2023, 19:05
They said at the last interview stage there would be ten per course, with courses every other month starting in March so March, May, July and September. So I’m guessing this has changed if what you have been told is more recent?

I was told the same at my Skyborne interview (including the info above about a 30-40 split), and I believe that was their plan with 70 places available. But I think they have revised this with the additional places becoming available - it was one of the flight training advisors at Skyborne itself who told me of the update earlier this week.

Ultimately we're all speculating but I imagine it will become clear on the day how many are left, and I'm sure they will give an update on course dates/numbers for each process individually - assuming they have indeed changed.

tinshifter
19th Nov 2023, 09:44
Been told by Skyborne that there will be between 8-12 candidates on each course, with courses commencing in March, April, May, July, August, September

Also on the number making it to the final assessment - I am reliably told that BA were initially planning to bring c.150 to the final stage (from both FTO combined) when there were 70 places. I cannot imagine they would lower that number to the 120 calculated above especially when there are now more places. I am operating under the assumption that there will be 16 candidates on each day, so 240 total left. Another piece of evidence which points towards this is the "Networking" section of the information doc which states "It is important that candidates do not discuss the activities with each other". This to me implies that there will be 2x groups of 8 sitting the different sections at different times.

I could of course be completely wrong as well! But as I say, can't imagine they'll have lowered the number of candidates whilst increasing the number of places.

I'd say 240 is far too many. There were only 7 at my last stage, and I think that was about average for the 2 weeks spread. Only 3 of my 7 made it through. I think there was about 160 left for the Skyborne pool last stage, and I'd say that there are about 70-90 left for either 50-60 jobs. 8-10 per day. I think the standard has been that high that they have increased the number of spaces and that the odds are really just that good!

beepbeeppullup
19th Nov 2023, 09:51
I'd say 240 is far too many. There were only 7 at my last stage, and I think that was about average for the 2 weeks spread. Only 3 of my 7 made it through. I think there was about 160 left for the Skyborne pool last stage, and I'd say that there are about 70-90 left for either 50-60 jobs. 8-10 per day. I think the standard has been that high that they have increased the number of spaces and that the odds are really just that good!

In my last stage I was told that they initially planned to work on everyone having a 1 in 3 chance going into the last stage. So were planning on taking 120 Skyborne through for 40 places and 90 FTE through for 30 places. If they kept those numbers, would give a current chance of roughly 1 in 2, but they may have increased the number they put through to maintain the 1 in 3 with the increased capacity

RoloPolo39
19th Nov 2023, 11:44

When you say your “last stage” do you mean the interview you done at Waterside prior to the final assessments coming up?

Them numbers seem good. I would have imagined there’d have only been a max of around 10-12 on each day of the final assessment.

As the initial jobs split was higher for Skybourne, I’d imagine their pool is bigger than FTE (also by the fact there’s more dates for final assessment for skybourne compared to FTE).

If your roundabout estimate for Skybournes 70-90, I’d imagine FTE would have to be at most 60-80.

So fair average being about 150 left in contention for up to 100 spaces.

With them numbers, it’s looking at about 10-11 candidates on final stage per day. Which would make the most sense for interviewers to really be able to judge and get an opinion on someone, compared to if there was 20+.

mz98
19th Nov 2023, 12:25

When did you sit your Skyborne assessment? At my one towards the end of the 3 weeks, I would say there were at least 25 people there (morning + afternoon sessions combined). We were also told at the presentation that there were around 300 Skyborne candidates invited to the interview stage in total - would estimate 150-200 from FTE given the split of places. The 240 figure I cited is just what I think their MAXIMUM capacity would be for the 3 weeks - it is likely as you say that the reality will be less (maybe closer to / just under 200). So the odds do look good!

PPRuNeUser0195
19th Nov 2023, 17:47

I think there were about 10 or 11 at mine, although I’m not sure how many got through.

PPRuNeUser0195
19th Nov 2023, 20:48
When did you sit your Skyborne assessment? At my one towards the end of the 3 weeks, I would say there were at least 25 people there (morning + afternoon sessions combined). We were also told at the presentation that there were around 300 Skyborne candidates invited to the interview stage in total - would estimate 150-200 from FTE given the split of places. The 240 figure I cited is just what I think their MAXIMUM capacity would be for the 3 weeks - it is likely as you say that the reality will be less (maybe closer to / just under 200). So the odds do look good!

We’ll find out soon enough I’m sure given they start this week - will be interesting to see!

adelta
20th Nov 2023, 08:45
After the interview and subsequent rejection email I have received a couple of emails from Skyborne promoting their ATPL course. Unfortunately for me, the appeal for this scheme and one of the main points of it was that it was for those that don't have the funds required to self-sponsor. I don't have the funds and never will have the funds.

I get why they're doing it, they're a business but still.

Had anyone else who was rejected received feedback yet from the interviews?

krankenhaus145
20th Nov 2023, 09:07
We’ll find out soon enough I’m sure given they start this week - will be interesting to see!
We can debate on numbers all we like but all that the increase in numbers really means is an increase in odds (Assuming there's not any more people being pushed through to the last stage!).

Good luck everyone!

ScoobySimon
20th Nov 2023, 15:10
After the interview and subsequent rejection email I have received a couple of emails from Skyborne promoting their ATPL course. Unfortunately for me, the appeal for this scheme and one of the main points of it was that it was for those that don't have the funds required to self-sponsor. I don't have the funds and never will have the funds.

I get why they're doing it, they're a business but still.

Had anyone else who was rejected received feedback yet from the interviews?

I had emailed to ask about the feedback and they replied to say no feedback will be given, so back-pedalling on what was said at the assessment.

PPRuNeUser0195
20th Nov 2023, 16:23
We can debate on numbers all we like but all that the increase in numbers really means is an increase in odds (Assuming there's not any more people being pushed through to the last stage!).

Good luck everyone!

Exactly, just got to go and do your best and hope it’s good enough! Wishing everyone all the best who’s attending over the next few weeks!

Airbusavmech
22nd Nov 2023, 14:10
For those who have completed final assessment. Could you please share how many people were at the session?

TrackingFlights
22nd Nov 2023, 18:26
For those who have completed final assessment. Could you please share how many people were at the session?
I didn't make it to the last stage, but from someone I know that did, they said there were 14 people.

BASpeedy2023
23rd Nov 2023, 00:34
Hello Speedbird Family,

hope everyone is well, I’ve been keeping an eye out since September on this forum about the programme. I’m pleased to say I’ve just completed my final interview on Tuesday (21/11), wondering if any of my peers has also completed the interview over the recent week. Feel free to reach out to me!

happy flying!

TrackingFlights
23rd Nov 2023, 19:11
Hello Speedbird Family,

hope everyone is well, I’ve been keeping an eye out since September on this forum about the programme. I’m pleased to say I’ve just completed my final interview on Tuesday (21/11), wondering if any of my peers has also completed the interview over the recent week. Feel free to reach out to me!

happy flying!
How many people were there on the Tuesday session?

fly744
24th Nov 2023, 09:38
Since FTE interviews have already finished could you share some of the questions asked on the interview day and how many interviewers were there?
(This enquiry is about the FTE interview only)

PPRuNeUser0195
24th Nov 2023, 20:04
Since FTE interviews have already finished could you share some of the questions asked on the interview day and how many interviewers were there?
(This enquiry is about the FTE interview only)

Even though they’re done the exact questions shouldn’t really be shared. FTE May still be using them for general admissions or other schemes such as Aer Lingus etc. You shouldn’t really need to know the questions to be able to succeed at interview.

fly744
24th Nov 2023, 20:30
Yep true AJ, hope that you have completed your interviews successfully, good luck

RoloPolo39
25th Nov 2023, 13:20
Anyone got an update on numbers that were at their assessment day?

Gordomac
26th Nov 2023, 09:14
BAW : Bit lofty of one to suggest that "you shouldn't really need to know the questions".. ! Blimey, yeah, but it helps !

Very long thread and I posted elsewhere about this. We all know just how helpful knowledge of questions can be. Knowledge of answers an outright winner. But Selectors will be floored if candidates are knowledgeable of questions and answers. Defeats the whole object.

Opening up the candidate market to a wide supply where the selection devices become open knowledge and practiced is absolute nonsense.

I have been a sponsored candidate to highly experienced Transport Commander and Selector. I quickly discovered the need to know what interviewers were looking for. Throughout my career it helped to know what Instructors and Examiners were looking for. INdeed, for UK ARB Type /Technical, unless you "knew" and "practiced" typical ARB exams, you would fail .

I know of one, for a time, highly respected and desired airline that relied heavily on a "Technical quiz". Pretty soon, those in the know had examples of all questions, all answers and knocked up envious scores of 90-6100%. Pointless eh ?

Sadly, nothing ideal and I know of one fellow selector who offered the view that if a candidate had gone to all the trouble of finding out about tests and exercises and even knew the answers, as a selection device. that candidate was showing initiative.

OK, leave out the good guys and take the cheats I retorted. Had to by my own coffee during a break in interviews.

Good luck to all though. Wicked opportunity for the lucky few.

From the Selectors point of view. A field of raw recruits with no selection criteria knowledge is the ideal but unachievable in practice.

GS-Alpha
26th Nov 2023, 10:29
I was a BA cadet a long time ago. When I went for testing and interview with no flying experience, my outlook was that I did not want to con myself or the recruiters into thinking I was something I was not. Why commence down the route of becoming a pilot if you were not going to have the ability to make it to the end, or you were going to ultimately find the job stressful, difficult or unenjoyable? I therefore did no preparation whatsoever. I did not even prepare an answer to, “So tell me, why do you want to be a pilot?”

PPRuNeUser0195
26th Nov 2023, 11:07
I was a BA cadet a long time ago. When I went for testing and interview with no flying experience, my outlook was that I did not want to con myself or the recruiters into thinking I was something I was not. Why commence down the route of becoming a pilot if you were not going to have the ability to make it to the end, or you were going to ultimately find the job stressful, difficult or unenjoyable? I therefore did no preparation whatsoever. I did not even prepare an answer to, “So tell me, why do you want to be a pilot?”

I agree with the sentiment of not conning them, but not preparing an answer to why you want to be a pilot would be ridiculous. A scheme with such a high number of applicants for small number of jobs you need to be able to display motivation and not preparing answers to the basics like that will show a lack of this.

GS-Alpha
26th Nov 2023, 18:11
I am not saying I did not have an answer to the question. Rather that it was a genuine and honest answer, not one that was rehearsed. Nor did it contain things I thought they might like to hear. Indeed the pilot interviewer said he thought it was the best answer to the question he had ever heard. If you really want to be a pilot, why would you need to think long and hard and prepare an answer? The fact is, it was very clear throughout, that I had no clue what the testing was going to involve or what questions would be asked of me. They knew they were seeing the genuine me, and witnessing my unrehearsed capabilities. As a previous poster has already stated - that makes the recruiter’s job far easier.

Gordomac
27th Nov 2023, 09:25
BAW- No you didn't say anything lofty. I was referring to a previous poster who was, in my opinion, very lofty.

GS-ALPHA ; Top candidate. In m y experience (not Hamble) as a Selection Officer, you were the type we were looking for..Rare though.
The "Why I want to be an Airline Pilot" was an essay that kicked off the Hamble procedure and was used by other Independent airlines in their Sponsored Pilot Training Schemes too.

I started mine with ;"Well, it is the only job where you get free transport from pub to pub". This was reference to the lay-over fun even if you wound up in BEA and nightstopped away from Base. Of course my opener was to get the attention of the reader (bit like a headline grab) and I then got into what, I thought, the Interviewer wanted to read.

My Interviewer was hunourless. I had no idea why the wings on a BOAC VC10 were swept back or why the tail was so high. Deep into questions on car mechanics for goodness sake he asked what was the voltage of a spark-plug. I thought it was 1-5v.

Didn't get any further than part one of the three part process but enjoyed the ride in the CAT HAmble bus between Southampton Railway Station & the School. Chics looking at us thought we were Cadets rather than orrible little wannabees !

Back to thread. I did prepare like crazy for other procedures and learned to give what I thought Boards wanted to receive. Took 5 years though.

No quarrel with those who come fully prepared and rehearsed. Not ideal though.

BAW pilot wannabe
27th Nov 2023, 09:50
It would be ideal to be able to assess the raw talent of all candidates and get their honest answers. However as pretty much most candidates who want a place on this scheme will practice and rehearse, then it would be unwise for the naturally talented to not do any prep as the rehearsed candidates will probably outperform them in the interview setting.

Perhaps the more effective solution would be to ask more scenario type questions that aren't easily rehearsed without knowing the question, or from a previous career, they gave you a 20page document 48hours in advance, which was then assessed at the interview to test whether you had the learning capacity required to complete the course. This felt brutal at the time, but then filtered out those who were not able to retain large volumes of information in the timescale given.

I don't think there is an easy answer for recruiters, but for candidates, preparation is essential to succeed, regardless of natural ability

Max Angle
29th Nov 2023, 19:09
Latest news from BA is that there are now 100 places for this year rather than 70, good news for anyone still in the process.

RoloPolo39
30th Nov 2023, 17:13
Latest news from BA is that there are now 100 places for this year rather than 70, good news for anyone still in the process.

Definitely an email that was well received! Fingers crossed!

flyguy21
4th Dec 2023, 13:31
Any word on the number of people at each day for final assessment day?

mz98
4th Dec 2023, 13:56
Any word on the number of people at each day for final assessment day?

16 at mine. Seems to be between 12-16 on each day from what I have heard. Was told around 200 candidates (total) remaining by BA when I attended.

RoloPolo39
5th Dec 2023, 10:45
16 at mine. Seems to be between 12-16 on each day from what I have heard. Was told around 200 candidates (total) remaining by BA when I attended.

Yeah them numbers makes sense.

was that at the FTE assessment day? Would be interesting to know how many were on FTEs days

krankenhaus145
5th Dec 2023, 17:49
Yeah them numbers makes sense.

was that at the FTE assessment day? Would be interesting to know how many were on FTEs days
I had my FTE assessment day today. Very intense! We find out on the 18th whether we've got through. Not too long! There were 16 people. The official skybourne / FTE split is 60/40 for what they're taking on!

JN07
5th Dec 2023, 17:55
Do you mean FTE is taking on 60% of the 100 spaces or that out of the remaining candidates 60% are from FTE and 40% from skyborne?

RoloPolo39
5th Dec 2023, 17:57
I had my FTE assessment day today. Very intense! We find out on the 18th whether we've got through. Not too long! There were 16 people. The official skybourne / FTE split is 60/40 for what they're taking on!

Thanks for the info. Wish you the best of luck with it all, got mine coming up too so hopefully see you on the other side!

krankenhaus145
7th Dec 2023, 01:38
Do you mean FTE is taking on 60% of the 100 spaces or that out of the remaining candidates 60% are from FTE and 40% from skyborne?
Out of the approx 200 people left, 60 percent are skybourne and 40 percent are fte. That also correlates to the amount of people they're taking on (60/40). So, they were trying to tell us that FTE people weren't at any disadvantage because although theyre taking on less people, there's less applicants left than for skybourne.

TrackingFlights
8th Dec 2023, 17:55
That's everyone done now? Well done everyone, a learning opportunity no matter what the result is!

Velo2023
11th Dec 2023, 17:26
Someone mentioned above that the FTE cohort were told they will find out their outcome on Monday 18th December. Do we reckon this will be the same for Skyborne?

tinshifter
11th Dec 2023, 18:33
We were told it would be by the 18th, I was hoping that meant late this week!

Airplane987
15th Dec 2023, 08:50
Now that there are definitely no more assessments to come, how did everyone who completed them find their assessment day? Bearing in mind that people applying in March may have a similar assessment day, let's of course not be too specific.

For me I struggled a little with some of the speedy interviews and found the hand-eye coordination harder than I was expecting. I thought the multitasking was quite fun though!

Keep in mind that if you're unsuccessful in this intake, any information you tell people is putting yourself at a disadvantage when you reapply in March...

Chris the Robot
15th Dec 2023, 11:04
Since announcing the increase in the size of the intake they're currently recruiting, have they confirmed it is still likely to re-open in March? I'd assumed that the aforementioned decision meant that they were going to recruit everyone for both intakes in one go but I may well be wrong.

If the recruitment is re-opened in March, people who were rejected after the initial sift would be prevented from re-applying due to the six-month rule.

Airplane987
15th Dec 2023, 11:20
From what I understood on the day, the six-month wait does not apply to this scheme.

PPRuNeUser0195
15th Dec 2023, 11:23
From what I understood on the day, the six-month wait does not apply to this scheme.

I think people who had rejection emails were told they couldn’t reapply for six months from the date of application. Not sure if that same thing would apply to those who attended the final assessment or not though.

krankenhaus145
15th Dec 2023, 15:45
At my final assessment day, the recruitment team said for this one-off occasion, we'd be able to reapply in March when the scheme opened again, but from then on it would be once yearly (as the scheme would only open once a year from then). However, I'm not sure if I am getting that entirely right? I may have gotten the wrong impression. Even they seemed unsure about it.

BAW pilot wannabe
15th Dec 2023, 16:01
If I'm not lucky enough to get a place this time, then I'm hoping we can apply when the scheme re-opens, especially as we have gotten so close by getting to the final stage. It would be disheartening to have to wait 18months to try again, but we must never give up on our dreams.

This is going to be a long weekend awaiting the results on Monday, good luck to everyone waiting to find out and hopefully I'll be seeing you at the college soon :-)

TrackingFlights
18th Dec 2023, 07:19
Good luck today, all!

TrackingFlights
18th Dec 2023, 12:53
Email is out

BAW pilot wannabe
18th Dec 2023, 12:54
nothing for me so far, keeping hopeful!

BAW pilot wannabe
18th Dec 2023, 12:55
Email is out

Did you get the news you were hoping for?

TrackingFlights
18th Dec 2023, 13:01
Did you get the news you were hoping for?
Was not me (cut last stage) but a friend. They got rejected, unfortunately.

future_pilot_di
18th Dec 2023, 13:10
Goodluck to you all :)

WanderingMinstrel
18th Dec 2023, 13:38
Unfortunately did not go my way this time. Optimistic and hopeful to reapply again in April when applications open again after receiving feedback in January. 🙂🤞

SBwing
18th Dec 2023, 14:51
Sorry to hear that, I know what it feels like but especially frustrating having gone so far. I hope you get feedback, those of us cut at the last stage were promised feedback but have received none. What do you think let you down this time? Keep on trying!

Tomki
18th Dec 2023, 20:07
Has anyone heard back and been successful yet?

Shamrock_flyer123
19th Dec 2023, 16:01
I didn't make it past the video interview, but I've been keeping up with the application process on here. I’m sure there are a tonne of deserving applicants, but it seems like some chosen candidates benefited from obvious nepotism. Two kids of a BA training captain got in, and it turns out they both went to private schools which cost upwards of £10k per term. In another case, someone was already enrolled on an integrated course with a large ATO. BA claimed the Speedbird Pilot Academy would break down cost barriers, but it feels like a mockery for someone like me who can't afford it. The academy had potential, but nepotism limited its impact to just a few. Private school education or having parents at BA seemed to be the golden ticket for this opportunity.

Alanga1991
20th Dec 2023, 11:04
I didn't make it past the video interview, but I've been keeping up with the application process on here. I’m sure there are a tonne of deserving applicants, but it seems like some chosen candidates benefited from obvious nepotism. Two kids of a BA training captain got in, and it turns out they both went to private schools which cost upwards of £10k per term. In another case, someone was already enrolled on an integrated course with a large ATO. BA claimed the Speedbird Pilot Academy would break down cost barriers, but it feels like a mockery for someone like me who can't afford it. The academy had potential, but nepotism limited its impact to just a few. Private school education or having parents at BA seemed to be the golden ticket for this opportunity.

Theres 100 spaces. There’s bound to be people who got through based on nepotism, or those who can afford it 10-fold. If I too were a training captain at BA, regardless how minted I am, I’d still push my kids through. You’d do the same too. It’s a part of life. But I’d like to believe BA have been fair. And will reserve judgement until I’ve seen those who’ve won these. Hopefully they’ll restore my faith in aviation after the debacle that was TUI’s ‘diverse’ line-up! Also, just because you can’t afford it doesn’t mean you deserve it. 20,000 people applied. I’m sure a majority of them can’t afford it just like us. 100 won, the rest of us lost. Part of life. Move on

VariablePitchP
20th Dec 2023, 12:10

I’d be staggered if nepotism had anything to do with it. Unless there is a question saying ‘do you have a BA training captain as a parent’ how could it help? Everyone applied through a part automated and part humanised application tracking system. Computer’s don’t discriminate based on surnames or school ties.

The interviews and assessment will have been against set criteria, BA is way too big to get a cheeky CV in through the back door.

Would the kids have benefited from their parent working for BA just by the nature of that? How would they not, you can’t expect them to forget everything they’ve picked up about BA via osmosis over the last 20 years just for the application. Have you considered perhaps that they may also have just been very strong candidates?

The cost barrier is removed, that doesn’t mean it’s means-tested, that would in and of itself be discriminatory.

I’d focus less on what others around you are doing and more on what you can to make yourself the best candidate you possibly can be for next time round. Your current attitude may be what caused your application to fail this time round.

Celebrate it for what it is, a fantastic scheme, one that hopefully gets copycat schemes from other airlines.

Alanga1991
20th Dec 2023, 12:52
I’d be staggered if nepotism had anything to do with it. Unless there is a question saying ‘do you have a BA training captain as a parent’ how could it help? Everyone applied through a part automated and part humanised application tracking system. Computer’s don’t discriminate based on surnames or school ties.

The interviews and assessment will have been against set criteria, BA is way too big to get a cheeky CV in through the back door.

Would the kids have benefited from their parent working for BA just by the nature of that? How would they not, you can’t expect them to forget everything they’ve picked up about BA via osmosis over the last 20 years just for the application. Have you considered perhaps that they may also have just been very strong candidates?

The cost barrier is removed, that doesn’t mean it’s means-tested, that would in and of itself be discriminatory.

I’d focus less on what others around you are doing and more on what you can to make yourself the best candidate you possibly can be for next time round. Your current attitude may be what caused your application to fail this time round.

Celebrate it for what it is, a fantastic scheme, one that hopefully gets copycat schemes from other airlines.

I think it’s slightly naive to think that nepotism wouldn’t play a part in some regard. TUI allocated 3 or so spots for Wings for Warriors. So those guys would have gone in through the back door. It isn’t unusual for people in an org to push their own people(employees, colleagues, family/friends) for these sorts of posts. I’d like to believe it was completely fair. But I’ll be naive to think BA didn’t have 2 or 3 people who got an extra push because they know someone. It happens everywhere. It’s not great when it’s against you, but I’ve benefited from it in life sometimes and it evens out. I blame my dad for not being born into a rich family! Lol

Shamrock_flyer123
20th Dec 2023, 15:13
If my kids really wanted it and I had the money, I'd send them on an integrated course, not snatch a full ride from those struggling to be noticed. It's clear that who you know and the school you went to impacts who makes the cut.

Sure, some got in through connections, but that doesn't make it right, or fair. The system's frustrating - in an airline preaching diversity, you'd think they'd level the playing field so nobody had an unfair advantage. Two siblings getting it out of 24,000 applicants just screams nepotism - I’m sure you can agree that it is far too much of a coincidence. Theres a 1 in 48,000 chance that they’d both be on it - so it defies the odds. It's all about "jobs for the lads." Just pointing out the obvious facts.

VariablePitchP
20th Dec 2023, 15:58
I think it’s slightly naive to think that nepotism wouldn’t play a part in some regard. TUI allocated 3 or so spots for Wings for Warriors. So those guys would have gone in through the back door. It isn’t unusual for people in an org to push their own people(employees, colleagues, family/friends) for these sorts of posts. I’d like to believe it was completely fair. But I’ll be naive to think BA didn’t have 2 or 3 people who got an extra push because they know someone. It happens everywhere. It’s not great when it’s against you, but I’ve benefited from it in life sometimes and it evens out. I blame my dad for not being born into a rich family! Lol

Extra push into applying? Maybe. As would an air cadet, someone with a family friend as to one of the 40,000 BA staff.

Or someone who simply signed up to the emails about recruitment.

What they won’t have had is any favouritism in the application process itself.

Alanga1991
20th Dec 2023, 16:18
My mate works for Aer Lingus and said their past scholarships used to be full of captains kids who got pushed through. according to her it's getting better now. so i can defo see where this person is coming from in terms of nepotism. I'd like to believe it was a fair process. But if I were a BA captain, would I push my kids and flex my muscles to get them on? Yes I would. I'd be a fool not to! https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/embarass.gif

The great thing is you don't have to believe some random guy on the internets. do your own digging. In the coming weeks more and more people will announce their 'delight' and 'excitement' on LinkedIN. Just copy and paste this "speedbird pilot academy" OR "speedbird academy" into the LI search bar and you'll see who has announced it. Then do your own digging on their profile from there. Who do they know? Where do they work? Who have they already interacted with in the past, who happens to be part of the recruitment process. Now disclaimer: I'm not saying all the cadets are inside jobs, but if I'm high up at BA and my son/daughter/nephew/niece wants to be a pilot. I'm pulling all the strings I can to call in all the favors in the world to get them on the scheme. Because why not? Why work hard to get into a prestigious position if you can't use it to benefit those closest to you. that's life and good on them.

PS: Do the same search for the TUI scheme and see how many people had some sort of links to TUI in some way, shape or form. You'll be shocked. Like I said, it happens. Just don't be naive in thinking such coincidences happen.

wiggy
20th Dec 2023, 17:13
... but if I'm high up at BA and my son/daughter/nephew/niece wants to be a pilot. I'm pulling all the strings I can to call in all the favors in the world to get them on the scheme.

Speaking as somebody was at BA for thirty plus years I'm genuinely struggling to think realistically what strings would be available to be pulled, even by a training captain...

Some Sim practise maybe, and you'd expect somebody whose parent was a pilot at BA to be more clued up on the workings of the company than someone who only had the likes of the internet as a resource and so have an advantage at interview but I can't really see the opportunity for anything more sinister than that, not in this day and age...

Velo2023
20th Dec 2023, 17:14
In the interest of balance I feel the need to reply regarding queries over the impartiality of the process.

I consider myself incredibly privileged and honoured to have been accepted onto the programme and while I cannot comment on other candidates I can provide some insight to my own background to hopefully alleviate some of these concerns.
I'm 36 years old, I have a professional degree and have had a successful career in my current industry for the last 13 years, an industry unrelated to aviation I might add but one from which a lot of transferable skills exist. I have no family or friend contacts within British Airways, or any other airline or sector of aviation for that matter.

A career as an airline pilot has been a lifelong held ambition for me that simply had never been an option to date, the financial barrier was just too great. At the end of last year when the TUI programme was announced I thought all my Christmas’ had come at once. I considered my chances relatively small due to the sheer volume of competition but it was an opportunity not to be missed.
I applied and made it through to the penultimate stage. While this was disappointing at the time, the entire process and experience only served to ignite my enthusiasm and determination even further. I took on board their feedback, sought out advice from friends of friends who work in the industry, and reaffirmed that this was what I really wanted to pursue.

Fast forward 7-months and I’m now sitting with a place on the Speedbird Pilot Academy and with a conditional offer for a role with British Airways. (I still can’t believe his as I type).

This is by no means intended as a post to gloat or celebrate my success. I know how disappointed I was with TUI, and would be again this time around had I not been successful.

I simply want to highlight that while n=1 is certainly not sufficient evidence to silence the critics, there are candidates who are succeeding without these ‘magic contacts’. I would hate for someone to read these posts and feel they shouldn’t bother applying in future.

VariablePitchP
20th Dec 2023, 19:20
In the interest of balance I feel the need to reply regarding queries over the impartiality of the process.

I consider myself incredibly privileged and honoured to have been accepted onto the programme and while I cannot comment on other candidates I can provide some insight to my own background to hopefully alleviate some of these concerns.
I'm 36 years old, I have a professional degree and have had a successful career in my current industry for the last 13 years, an industry unrelated to aviation I might add but one from which a lot of transferable skills exist. I have no family or friend contacts within British Airways, or any other airline or sector of aviation for that matter.

A career as an airline pilot has been a lifelong held ambition for me that simply had never been an option to date, the financial barrier was just too great. At the end of last year when the TUI programme was announced I thought all my Christmas’ had come at once. I considered my chances relatively small due to the sheer volume of competition but it was an opportunity not to be missed.
I applied and made it through to the penultimate stage. While this was disappointing at the time, the entire process and experience only served to ignite my enthusiasm and determination even further. I took on board their feedback, sought out advice from friends of friends who work in the industry, and reaffirmed that this was what I really wanted to pursue.

Fast forward 7-months and I’m now sitting with a place on the Speedbird Pilot Academy and with a conditional offer for a role with British Airways. (I still can’t believe his as I type).

This is by no means intended as a post to gloat or celebrate my success. I know how disappointed I was with TUI, and would be again this time around had I not been successful.

I simply want to highlight that while n=1 is certainly not sufficient evidence to silence the critics, there are candidates who are succeeding without these ‘magic contacts’. I would hate for someone to read these posts and feel they shouldn’t bother applying in future.

Fantastic news and congratulations!

Don’t let the negativity detract from your achievement!

Some people will naturally want to blame something for what they perceive as their failure, and if blaming the system helps them deal with it, then so be it.

Haneli
20th Dec 2023, 21:02

​​​​​​
Velo2023, many thanks for your post with great oversight. I would like to congratulate you on gaining a place on this wonderful opportunity. British Airways is a great place to be especially now with a lot going on and new aircrafts coming in.
I can only echo what Wiggy and yourself have stated that it doesn't matter much who or what you know or do here with regards to training as the process is automated. I know this because I work at BA, put an application in, went through the hoops, but unfortunately came short.
But then I know it's thoroughly an open and fair process, and will do it again.
And so, I'll DM you Velo2023 for advice and guidance.
Well done and all the best.

morerudder_86
20th Dec 2023, 22:48

Celebrate it for what it is, a fantastic scheme, one that hopefully gets copycat schemes from other airlines.It has the potential to be a fantastic scheme for 100 people. It is clear that many deserving candidates have been chosen, and that is great to see, congratulations to those people.

However, it is also clear that those who have been privately educated (at least 7 on LinkedIn) and/or have parents who are BA captains (at least 3) have also been selected. Whilst I’m sure these people were good candidates, their background indicates that they are more likely to have been in a position to pay for it themselves (not always the case, but generally true!).

Meanwhile, those who are from less advantaged backgrounds and who have been scraping together money for flying hours towards a career instead have to face getting a loan. These individuals may have volunteered cleaning aircraft in exchange for flying, or applied for scholarships to try and make their way in the industry.

A harsh reality for many anyway, but if I was going through this process I’d have been annoyed to see those from advantaged backgrounds being selected too. Definitely not bitter.

Don’t get me wrong, it is brilliant that BA is running this scheme, and like TUI are setting an example for others to follow. I just seriously hope that they are looking at both CVs and background to ensure that the scheme increases financial diversity as claimed in all their PR. It could certainly damage their reputation amongst many if not.

LKnaggs
20th Dec 2023, 23:19

Congrats on your offer! I received good news on Monday as well - the email said that more information would be provided in a further email “shortly” but I have not heard anything since then. Have you received any more communications from BA?

sudden twang
21st Dec 2023, 08:59
Fantastic news and congratulations!

Don’t let the negativity detract from your achievement!

Some people will naturally want to blame something for what they perceive as their failure, and if blaming the system helps them deal with it, then so be it.

I echo your thoughts re Velo 2023 and congrats to them.

I liked the sound of Aj2017 I hope they made it.

GS-Alpha
21st Dec 2023, 10:02
If my kids really wanted it and I had the money, I'd send them on an integrated course, not snatch a full ride from those struggling to be noticed. It's clear that who you know and the school you went to impacts who makes the cut.

Sure, some got in through connections, but that doesn't make it right, or fair. The system's frustrating - in an airline preaching diversity, you'd think they'd level the playing field so nobody had an unfair advantage. Two siblings getting it out of 24,000 applicants just screams nepotism - I’m sure you can agree that it is far too much of a coincidence. Theres a 1 in 48,000 chance that they’d both be on it - so it defies the odds. It's all about "jobs for the lads." Just pointing out the obvious facts.
Shamrock, if your dad is a current BA pilot, it’s quite likely you’ll be well prepared as to which boxes might need ticking in order to gain a place. In fact there’s quite a strong chance you’ll just tick them naturally. There is no coincidence or nepotism conspiracy required. I imagine there will be a fair few successful cabin crew and other internal BA employees too, because knowing and observing a few pilots teaches you these tick box behaviours. But the scheme does also recruit from completely outside this arena. If you weren’t successful, you didn’t tick the boxes. My advice to you is to work on that, and then perhaps try again next time.

Your second sentence shows you don’t fully appreciate what this scheme is. Most people can sort out a loan to put themselves, or a son or daughter through flight training, and likely would if there was a near guaranteed job at the end of it. The issue is getting that first flying job, and this is truly where the scheme’s value lies. If you’d pay £100k on the off chance that there was a job at the end of it, rather than apply for a scheme that has a conditional job offer attached, you are too much of a risk taker to be a good pilot.

Gordomac
21st Dec 2023, 11:28
Quick observation is that most of the 100 successful candidates didn't have Daddy as a BA Capt or went to privilaged schools. Those were in a minority.

I have long poked fun at nepotism. Absolutely rife and clearcut all over the place.It has it's place and very annoying for those of us not so favoured. Very little we can do.

Having failed Hamble selection, I poked serious fun, still do at nepotism and connections. Looking back, I think, competitively, others deserved a place more than me.

Dad was a Freemason. Very wealthy. Middle East earner. Cheque book Dad. Ex Army Colonel. With three kids, he decided he was not going to fork out for all three. So, funded none. We were all ex-pat brats, failed the 11 plus and went to Roman Catholic State Secondary Moderns in total but do in part..I asked him for 5K in order to go to OATS for CPL/IR and offered to repay the entire amount out of subsequent salary. He said NO !

I stuck with total focus to the sponsored route. Failed but improved at each set-back. BKS Air Transport advertised forr a top-up course and wanted TWO Cadets. 1000 applied. By then, I was within the age and education requirement. I offered Uk PPL, IMC, R/T, , 200 hours, five years working in Ops as Crewing Walla, Crewing Officer, Loader, Ops DO and six months Nav Course at Cass College.

I got one of the two places.

Fabbo news for the 100. Others, take the punch, get up, take a breath and NEVER stop trying. Some , but not as many as you think, will have been privilaged. Put it out of your mind. Of course it is not fair. What the hell is.. I was going to say Good luck. There is no luck in it and don't plan for such.

When you have fired up all four, tell co-jo to "Set Thrust". feel a punch in the back, level off at 430000ft and a pretty young thang says "Tea Captain ?"......................S M I L E .......................

Haneli
21st Dec 2023, 11:39
I echo your thoughts re Velo 2023 and congrats to them.

I liked the sound of Aj2017 I hope they made it.
Absolutely, because some have raw cube that resonates with their goal - Glass is half full.

Haneli
21st Dec 2023, 11:59
Shamrock, if your dad is a current BA pilot, it’s quite likely you’ll be well prepared as to which boxes might need ticking in order to gain a place. In fact there’s quite a strong chance you’ll just tick them naturally. There is no coincidence or nepotism conspiracy required. I imagine there will be a fair few successful cabin crew and other internal BA employees too, because knowing and observing a few pilots teaches you these tick box behaviours. But the scheme does also recruit from completely outside this arena. If you weren’t successful, you didn’t tick the boxes. My advice to you is to work on that, and then perhaps try again next time.

Your second sentence shows you don’t fully appreciate what this scheme is. Most people can sort out a loan to put themselves, or a son or daughter through flight training, and likely would if there was a near guaranteed job at the end of it. The issue is getting that first flying job, and this is truly where the scheme’s value lies. If you’d pay £100k on the off chance that there was a job at the end of it, rather than apply for a scheme that has a conditional job offer attached, you are too much of a risk taker to be a good pilot.

GS-Alpha, I think this is excellent advise, and you are right about internal recruitment, and I know only six (06) internal applicants secured places. Those who put in the effort surely edged the competition.

Haneli
21st Dec 2023, 12:18
Quick observation is that most of the 100 successful candidates didn't have Daddy as a BA Capt or went to privilaged schools. Those were in a minority.

I have long poked fun at nepotism. Absolutely rife and clearcut all over the place.It has it's place and very annoying for those of us not so favoured. Very little we can do.

Having failed Hamble selection, I poked serious fun, still do at nepotism and connections. Looking back, I think, competitively, others deserved a place more than me.

Dad was a Freemason. Very wealthy. Middle East earner. Cheque book Dad. Ex Army Colonel. With three kids, he decided he was not going to fork out for all three. So, funded none. We were all ex-pat brats, failed the 11 plus and went to Roman Catholic State Secondary Moderns in total but do in part..I asked him for 5K in order to go to OATS for CPL/IR and offered to repay the entire amount out of subsequent salary. He said NO !

I stuck with total focus to the sponsored route. Failed but improved at each set-back. BKS Air Transport advertised forr a top-up course and wanted TWO Cadets. 1000 applied. By then, I was within the age and education requirement. I offered Uk PPL, IMC, R/T, , 200 hours, five years working in Ops as Crewing Walla, Crewing Officer, Loader, Ops DO and six months Nav Course at Cass College.

I got one of the two places.

Fabbo news for the 100. Others, take the punch, get up, take a breath and NEVER stop trying. Some , but not as many as you think, will have been privilaged. Put it out of your mind. Of course it is not fair. What the hell is.. I was going to say Good luck. There is no luck in it and don't plan for such.

When you have fired up all four, tell co-jo to "Set Thrust". feel a punch in the back, level off at 430000ft and a pretty young thang says "Tea Captain ?"......................S M I L E .......................

Hahaha, I've read your post over and again, and still smiling. I wish I was that co-jo, happy days all day long. But then again, it's that super motivation they look for in applicants. Do we have it? You decide...

Flybyfly6589
23rd Dec 2023, 09:27
Just a point on the below which I think needs to be said - being privately educated doesn’t equal wealthy. There are plenty of those 7 whom you’ve found specifically due to the education who will have been on bursary funded school fees or on scholarships due to being particularly gifted. Not all is what is seems on social media and I think it’s harsh to generalise wealth due to education or assume they are less deserving of a place on the scheme. I for one don’t have a place, but was privately educated with 100% bursary as my parents couldnt afford to send me to the private school themselves. Like I say what’s on the surface doesn’t always present face value of someone’s circumstance…

It has the potential to be a fantastic scheme for 100 people. It is clear that many deserving candidates have been chosen, and that is great to see, congratulations to those people.

However, it is also clear that those who have been privately educated (at least 7 on LinkedIn) and/or have parents who are BA captains (at least 3) have also been selected. Whilst I’m sure these people were good candidates, their background indicates that they are more likely to have been in a position to pay for it themselves (not always the case, but generally true!).

Meanwhile, those who are from less advantaged backgrounds and who have been scraping together money for flying hours towards a career instead have to face getting a loan. These individuals may have volunteered cleaning aircraft in exchange for flying, or applied for scholarships to try and make their way in the industry.

A harsh reality for many anyway, but if I was going through this process I’d have been annoyed to see those from advantaged backgrounds being selected too. Definitely not bitter.

Don’t get me wrong, it is brilliant that BA is running this scheme, and like TUI are setting an example for others to follow. I just seriously hope that they are looking at both CVs and background to ensure that the scheme increases financial diversity as claimed in all their PR. It could certainly damage their reputation amongst many if not.

DRS247
25th Dec 2023, 23:55
Some key points included:

Accommodation, food allowance and substance allowance provided
Application window will open in September
Flight school assessment in October
BA assessment in November
Offers made in November
Training commence Q1 2024
Could be based at Heathrow, Gatwick or London City (BA, Euroflyer, Cityflyer) on either A320 fleet or Embraer
Choice of 5 different fleet types after initial freeze (6 years).
Starting salary of £34,000

Selection:

Online application - you'll be asked about your motivation to join British Airways and Maths and situational judgement test.
Video interview - you will have to record your answers
Flight school technical test - assess your ability to work under pressure and see how you react to increasing workload with various computer based tests from the cut-e suite
Flight School Group exercise - assess your ability to work in a team, with a scenario you may face in your day-to-day role as a Pilot at British Airways.
Flight School Interview - demonstrate you have what it takes to become a BA pilot.
British Airways Assessment - interview and group exercise. There will be a presentation from the team to talk to you about life as a BA Pilot and also a chance to visit Speedbird Heritage Centre at Waterside

Thanks Pablopal for this. I just wanted to confirm 2 points :
1. Are we 100% sure that the tests are CUT-E based ? Maybe those who went through the process this year can confirm ?
2. You don't mention in this post but I've read elsewhere that only those who have the right to work & live in the UK are eligible... so does this mean all EU country citizens (minus those who are there under the EU Settlement Scheme) are off the list ?
Thanks again & hope to hear soon.

PolomDrastiz
27th Dec 2023, 21:31

Never stop trying? At some point if you keep getting rejected you can't keep delaying your career year on year, your total career earnings are at stake. Just use the wisdom from the experience for future airline interviews and self fund, you might have to fly for a regional in an ATR rather than an A320, but a flying job is better than nothing.

I also remember in the webinar one of the hosts said you were capped to 3 speed bird applications in a row *, however I have not seen any official clause explicitly mentioning that so I won't believe it unless proved otherwise.

*DO NOT believe this unless explicitly stated by BA themselves. I don't want anyone to miss out because of a random stranger's comment.

Gordomac
28th Dec 2023, 09:33
Polom : Your articulation is better than mine. I never meant 'keep trying' for just the BA scheme but keep trying to get into the profession by any means you can find or fund. You show the type of determination that 'll see that pretty young thang asking you if you'd like a cuppa. Who cares if it is at 20,000ft in a turbo or 43,000 ft across the Atlantic. Who cares what's painted on the side of an aeroplane. You will be exercising the privileges of your well earned "Commercial" that permits you to fly for hire or reward.<br /><br />Specifically if the BA scheme does have a limit, they will like seeing you coming back until the last try. HR often impose limits because the volume is just too high. Not fair, not just, actually pretty knee-jerked self imposed blinkered view because those who keep coming back will have, be experience, as you allude, improved and learned by previous rejection and made success at the graduation stage much more likely.<br /><br />The bottom line asked by the Selectors is "How likely is this candidate to pass that final Line Check &amp; be released into Line flying within the time frame imposed by Accountants. Given no time limit, we would often wind up with the most likeable and deserving. Given a strict timetable, it becomes very restrictive and you wind up with a bunch of space cadets ca[able of NASA selection.<br /><br />Then, as BA found with Hamble,you wind up with a bunch of sameis.They look alike, sound alike,talk alike and this then has an impact, much later on Flight Decks. BA started to look for different personality types and backgrounds as a result. Came too late for Hamble.<br /><br />But, I have to say from a Selectors point of view, widening the age criteria to 55 is just plain daft.<br /><br />Good fortune Polom. When that young thang asks if you fancy a cuppa......................mmmmmmmm................You are there.<br />

adelta
29th Dec 2023, 13:55
Do we know how many of the lucky 100 are in their 50s?

PolomDrastiz
31st Dec 2023, 19:42
<br /><br />Your second sentence shows you don’t fully appreciate what this scheme is. Most people can sort out a loan to put themselves, or a son or daughter through flight training, and likely would if there was a near guaranteed job at the end of it. The issue is getting that first flying job, and this is truly where the scheme’s value lies. If you’d pay £100k on the off chance that there was a job at the end of it, rather than apply for a scheme that has a conditional job offer attached, you are too much of a risk taker to be a good pilot.<br /><br />There are self sponsored MPL schemes like EasyJet with a conditional job offer at the end.

planesandthings
1st Jan 2024, 19:04
There are sponsored MPL schemes like EasyJet with a conditional job offer at the end.

Self sponsored I assume you mean? EZY don't fund any of their tagged courses. Except a few rare limited and targeted bursaries for minorities.

PolomDrastiz
1st Jan 2024, 19:32
Self sponsored I assume you mean? EZY don't fund any of their tagged courses. Except a few rare limited and targeted bursaries for minorities.

Edited, thanks. I thought you could use sponsored to mean "pledge/promise", which in this context is easyJet honouring the job offer on the condition of completing training.

Dracarys
2nd Jan 2024, 16:20
Huge congratulations to those who have made it through the process! It’s a fantastic achievement, and you should be rightly delighted. I was a cadet 8 years ago, so I know how exciting it is to make it through the process. I look forward to flying with you all in the future.

In terms of the suggestions of nepotism... I believe that this process is as objective as any process reasonably could be. Naturally, some people will have an advantage in various ways, perhaps helped by people they know having experience of working for the company for some years. But that is not nepotism. And it’s easy to point the finger at such individuals and suggest that their advantage is insurmountable for you, but neither is that true. For instance, everything you could possibly need to know about BA to perform well in an interview can be garnered from ba.com (History & Heritage etc). And there’s nothing unique about the tests such that only those with inside knowledge could hope to do well in them. A well-written application and strong preparation for the assessments is the principal difference between those who make and those who do not.

So, if you didn’t make it, don’t blame other people or the process, and don’t blame yourself either. Not making it through this does not in any way mean that you will not become an excellent airline pilot in the future.

Pilotguy85
8th Jan 2024, 13:57
I read that it is reopening in March 2024 - is this correct does anyone know please?

Buccaneer29
8th Jan 2024, 13:58
They are hoping to open applications in April 2024, but not confirmed set date yet.

Pilotguy85
8th Jan 2024, 14:09
Cheers, thought so!

adelta
8th Jan 2024, 14:26
At Waterside they said it would reopen in February 2024, but they also said unsuccessful candidates at that stage would receive feedback which isn't happening. That was also before they increased the available slots so imagine it would be later than Feb.

Still wondering if any successful cadets this time around are in their 50s...?

Karen1
9th Jan 2024, 16:50
Has anyone applied for Tui?

chris09
9th Jan 2024, 19:43
Not yet but planning to! Have you?

LKnaggs
9th Jan 2024, 21:07
Has anyone applied for Tui?
There might be more info on the dedicated thread, I've tried to link but have fewer than 8 posts - it's on the "Interviews, jobs & sponsorship" forum

Pilotguy85
1st Feb 2024, 12:34
Has anyone heard about if Speedbird will be opening on April?

WanderingMinstrel
1st Feb 2024, 12:53
Has anyone heard about if Speedbird will be opening on April?

I was a final stager who received personalised feedback through a phone call at the start of January. They confirmed during the call that it would be reopening in April.

Pilotguy85
1st Feb 2024, 13:17
Well done on being a final stager! Thanks for the info.

WanderingMinstrel
1st Feb 2024, 13:55
I was a final stager who received personalised feedback through a phone call at the start of January. They confirmed during the call that it would be reopening in April.

Coincidentally received an email today related to this. BA are launching a self funded Speedbird pathway, and those who made it to the final stage (and have the money) automatically qualify for it. They ended the email saying they understand this isn’t reachable for everyone and they look forward to inviting applications for the regular Speedbird Academy in that case.

krankenhaus145
1st Feb 2024, 15:14
Coincidentally received an email today related to this. BA are launching a self funded Speedbird pathway, and those who made it to the final stage (and have the money) automatically qualify for it. They ended the email saying they understand this isn’t reachable for everyone and they look forward to inviting applications for the regular Speedbird Academy in that case.
Hmm, interesting.

I got to the last stage beforehand and received the phone call, but no email about Speedbird pathway. Aside from this though, I applied to the Speedbird Academy ... because I can't afford to self fund, so it would be out of the question.

WanderingMinstrel
1st Feb 2024, 19:52
Hmm, interesting.

I got to the last stage beforehand and received the phone call, but no email about Speedbird pathway. Aside from this though, I applied to the Speedbird Academy ... because I can't afford to self fund, so it would be out of the question.

Yep, same sentiment. I don’t know who would take them up on this offer.

krankenhaus145
1st Feb 2024, 20:25
I have PM'd you, if that's ok.

ronikawantstofly
2nd Feb 2024, 10:14
I heard about that too, I think they want to reduce the numbers.

ronikawantstofly
2nd Feb 2024, 10:15
I thought initially they wanted to open it in March?

4KBeta
2nd Feb 2024, 13:05
They will likely get plenty - who wouldn't try and do this, assuming their parents(?) could help.

krankenhaus145
2nd Feb 2024, 13:07
They will likely get plenty - who wouldn't try and do this, assuming their parents(?) could help.
I suppose they'll get a few, but almost every single person I spoke to at the application process said the cost was an insurmountable barrier, and hence they're here. So, not sure now many they'll get. I did know a few people who dropped out at earlier stages who went straight on to easyJet self funded course though.

MZ350
6th Feb 2024, 20:12
Hello,
I would like to apply in the next session. Do you have to necessarily live in the UK to apply? Because in the Skyborne site it says that right to live and study for 6 months without sponsorship is ok. How should I prepare for the tests?
Also what do you think of the Wizzair Cadet Pilot Program and SIA cadet program? Anyone who has tried or has had experience in this?
Much appreciated.

cryptoknight
7th Feb 2024, 04:17
Hello,
I would like to apply in the next session. Do you have to necessarily live in the UK to apply? Because in the Skyborne site it says that right to live and study for 6 months without sponsorship is ok. How should I prepare for the tests?
Also what do you think of the Wizzair Cadet Pilot Program and SIA cadet program? Anyone who has tried or has had experience in this?
Much appreciated.For BA, they have exclusively accepted UK citizens thus far. They do not explicitly state that they will not accept foreigners or individuals of non-white ethnicity, except for specific exceptional cases, such as non-white individuals with British citizenship. How did I come to know this? I submitted applications for two friends with identical responses: (1) White & UK citizen, and (2) non-white & non-UK citizen. Only the application from (1) was successful, while (2) was unsuccessful.

Furthermore, it's worth noting that in the photos of all applicants, the majority appear to be UK citizens, with nearly all being white.

VariablePitchP
7th Feb 2024, 10:06
For BA, they have exclusively accepted UK citizens thus far. They do not explicitly state that they will not accept foreigners or individuals of non-white ethnicity, except for specific exceptional cases, such as non-white individuals with British citizenship. How did I come to know this? I submitted applications for two friends with identical responses: (1) White & UK citizen, and (2) non-white & non-UK citizen. Only the application from (1) was successful, while (2) was unsuccessful.

Furthermore, it's worth noting that in the photos of all applicants, the majority appear to be UK citizens, with nearly all being white.

You submitted a duplicate application, of course it was rejected, the system isn’t stupid!

You seem to want to make a thing about ethnicity for some reason. The recruitment team will have no visibility of it on an individual basis. It’s just for data gathering purposes. That’s recruitment 101 for anything larger than a chip shop and has been for years.

The UK’s visa rules prohibit them from sponsoring cadets that do not have right to work in the UK, because the basic salary required for the visa is not met in the first year. If you don’t like that then write to your MP, nothing BA can do about it. All explained in the live Q&As that have been run repeatedly to allow people to ask questions of the recruitment team.

Put the foil hat away.

cryptoknight
7th Feb 2024, 11:05
You submitted a duplicate application, of course it was rejected, the system isn’t stupid!

You seem to want to make a thing about ethnicity for some reason. The recruitment team will have no visibility of it on an individual basis. It’s just for data gathering purposes. That’s recruitment 101 for anything larger than a chip shop and has been for years.

The UK’s visa rules prohibit them from sponsoring cadets that do not have right to work in the UK, because the basic salary required for the visa is not met in the first year. If you don’t like that then write to your MP, nothing BA can do about it. All explained in the live Q&As that have been run repeatedly to allow people to ask questions of the recruitment team.

Put the foil hat away.
Could you please clarify what you mean by a duplicated application? Each person submitted only one application, with distinct names and credentials, and these were completed from two separate location. :ouch:

Many individuals have raised questions regarding this issue during live Q&A sessions. Repeatedly, the responses have indicated that only proof of the right to study is required. I have attended and recorded multiple sessions already and can share them with you if desired. Additionally, it's worth noting that the minimum salary requirement for a work visa is £27,000 per year. However, this should not pose an issue because my foreign friend already holds an investor visa, which essentially grants the right to work without requiring sponsorship from the airline.

So can you please explain what's happening there

VariablePitchP
8th Feb 2024, 12:15
I submitted applications for two friends with identical responses

There is your duplicate application. Two identical sets of applications and you don’t think their ATS can pick that up? Or you didn’t submit two identical applications, as you said you did, and the better one got through.

The salary threshold starts to increase to £38,700 from April 2024. That is above the starting salary for a year 1 cadet on this scheme. It’s also very hard to justify sponsorship given that quite clearly there is overwhelming demand from people who already have the right to live and work in the UK.

Loads of applications, which means loads of people won’t get the job. Have to accept that at some point.

dr.pitt
11th Feb 2024, 12:28
Hey all,
Has there been any updates on when the BA Speedbird academy will reopen this year?
I heard it could be as early as April, but no solid info.
Maybe they will say more in the Pilot Careers Live

Many thanks,

WingZeroJP
13th Feb 2024, 01:18
Hey all,
Has there been any updates on when the BA Speedbird academy will reopen this year?
I heard it could be as early as April, but no solid info.
Maybe they will say more in the Pilot Careers Live

Many thanks,
A previous poster said it would open in April.

The Pilot Careers Live would be a good place to get more info.

MichaelOLearyGenius
15th Feb 2024, 04:49
My brother's brother in law's son got accepted in November and is starting soon. He started baggage handler at Glasgow then got a job with BA engineering at Glasgow and passed the selection in November. Maybe it helps if you already work for BA.

4KBeta
15th Feb 2024, 21:39
I submitted applications for two friends with identical responses: (1) White & UK citizen, and (2) non-white & non-UK citizen. Only the application from (1) was successful, while (2) was unsuccessful.

It clearly states you need the right to live and work in the UK. There is your reaaon, nothing more

I havent seen many photos but its probably a fair assumption that more white people, of UK origin applied versus other demographics. Does that make it more then just numbers? No.

DawnChorus01
15th Feb 2024, 21:57
I was successful, focus on why you want to join BA, looking at the people who got in from the call we had, there is no preference on gender / ethnicity. Focus on why BA, your motivation, why you want to be a pilot, BA better world campaign etc as well as how you could improve as a person, saying too much is a good thing, personally I said what other people did well that I wished I could do as that was true. Be true to yourself and your performance. Good luck for those applying. Very competitive. I had imposter syndrome in both my in person interviews. Don’t let that get that you down. Show your motivation. You’ll be fine. Ensure that you have researched everything about BA and its future goals. Good luck for those applying in April.

icemanbg33
27th Feb 2024, 17:58
Hi guys,

I was born outside of the UK and I have no idea what's the GSCs maths and/or physics contents. My home country has a rather good educational system when it comes to exact sciences, however, both subjects have never been my strong suit and I want to find a resource which will encompass all that is necessary to prepare for the initial and subsequent stages.

I know there are a lot of tests online but I'd be interested to know what you are using to revise and prepare. I am doubtful I will be successful (I also am kinda blind) but I would like to try in any event.

Flatiron220
28th Feb 2024, 07:29
Hi guys,

I was born outside of the UK and I have no idea what's the GSCs maths and/or physics contents. My home country has a rather good educational system when it comes to exact sciences, however, both subjects have never been my strong suit and I want to find a resource which will encompass all that is necessary to prepare for the initial and subsequent stages.

I know there are a lot of tests online but I'd be interested to know what you are using to revise and prepare. I am doubtful I will be successful (I also am kinda blind) but I would like to try in any event.

Hello, I am using a variety of the online aptitude assessments, mainly for Maths, English and Logical reasoning.

Check out BBC bitesize's GCSE maths pages as well, and FTE Jerez have an excellent pre-test document which covers all the basics.

If you're not a native English speaker you will need to work pretty hard to make sure your language skills are up to par and check the residency/nationality requirements if you're not a UK citizen.
Hope some of this helps!

icemanbg33
29th Feb 2024, 16:27
Hello, I am using a variety of the online aptitude assessments, mainly for Maths, English and Logical reasoning.

Check out BBC bitesize's GCSE maths pages as well, and FTE Jerez have an excellent pre-test document which covers all the basics.

If you're not a native English speaker you will need to work pretty hard to make sure your language skills are up to par and check the residency/nationality requirements if you're not a UK citizen.
Hope some of this helps!

Thanks, that’s helpful. I’ve lived in the UK for the last 8 years. I have a law degree and a settled status so right to work and language will definitely not be a barrier.

If anyone else has any tips, I will appreciate them. Good luck everyone :)!

OpticFS
4th Mar 2024, 10:12
Hi All seems the self sponsered speedbird is a rebrand of the newly qualified pilot pathway however it is now available and unlike speedbird you will not be on cityflyer just mainline BA or BA euroflyer so operating out of Gatwick or Heathrow . it doesn't allow me to add a url but by typing simply self sponsered speedbird it came up

future_pilot_di
6th Mar 2024, 17:24
Dear lads,

You can apply to the Speedbird Academy program and the residency requirement is met by non UK nationals as well, since it stipulates the right to remain in the UK without sponsorship for 6 months. And that's how long phase 1 takes: 6 months. So don't worry about a visa.
I don't think that's quite how that works. What happens after you finish the program? You're not exactly will be able to work for them would you, without RTW?

joey7415963
6th Mar 2024, 17:46
With the ssp version, anyone know how long the application window is open for?

I went to apply but can't until next month as I applied for the original back in September 😔

VariablePitchP
7th Mar 2024, 06:21
Dear lads,

You can apply to the Speedbird Academy program and the residency requirement is met by non UK nationals as well, since it stipulates the right to remain in the UK without sponsorship for 6 months. And that's how long phase 1 takes: 6 months. So don't worry about a visa.

Both of the ATO and post-IR paths have ‘Right to live and study in the UK without sponsorship’ in the description. I think it may have changed due to the uplift in the required salary for the skilled worker visas.

kripg
7th Mar 2024, 14:55
Has anyone who applied for the ssp received any replies? I did all the assessments, just waiting to hear if I got a video interview.

Robbiejones
11th Mar 2024, 23:27
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would knew in regards to the Science GCSE, can this be a Btec level 2 equivalent? I did my GCSE's in 2012 and achieved a Merit in 'Edexcel Level 2 First Diploma in Applied Science. I additional achieved grade B's in Maths and English. I have never had any issues with the Btec and went on to University and hold a First class Degree in Finance. I'm now on a big four graduate program studying towards the ACA. Do you think my qualifications will meet the threshold required?

icedchailatte
14th Mar 2024, 15:58
Hi everyone, does anyone have any idea when the applications for the fully sponsored scheme will reopen ? since it’s already “spring 2024”? i’m thinking next month or may ?

krankenhaus145
18th Mar 2024, 18:01
Hi everyone, does anyone have any idea when the applications for the fully sponsored scheme will reopen ? since it’s already “spring 2024”? i’m thinking next month or may ?
Should be April. That's what we were told at the end of the last assessment process.

Newbie103
26th Mar 2024, 16:31
Hi

Would like some insight to the video interview which is conducted online and the questions they ask ?? its for the self sponsor one and help would be appreciated

rebecca

RingleRider
1st Apr 2024, 08:52
Okay so it’s the 1st April (patiently awaiting any April fools jokes), BA said they’d be opening back up the speedbird academy some time this month. Does anyone have any ideas when the applications will be live? I believe it’s been pretty silent thus far.

martinbryson
3rd Apr 2024, 09:15
Hi

Would like some insight to the video interview which is conducted online and the questions they ask ?? its for the self sponsor one and help would be appreciated

rebecca
hi rebecca did you do the video assessment
just heard back to say ive passed and on to the tech testing stage !
have no clue what this entails

Angle_of_Attack
3rd Apr 2024, 14:18
Applications open on April 16th!

Banksy83
4th Apr 2024, 11:52
For those of you that maybe trying out for BA's fully funded scheme this year, looking at their careers page it appears that the application window is due to open 16th April.

Holia03
6th Apr 2024, 18:53
hi rebecca did you do the video assessment
just heard back to say ive passed and on to the tech testing stage !
have no clue what this entails

Hi

rebecca

Has anyone who applied for the ssp received any replies? I did all the assessments, just waiting to hear if I got a video interview.

Hi guys, how long did it take you to hear back from them for the video interview, having done all the tests?

martinbryson
7th Apr 2024, 09:44
about 7 working days after the video interview

Holia03
7th Apr 2024, 11:41
about 7 working days after the video interview

Thanks mate, when did you get invited to the video interview after the checking test? Where are you in the process now?

PoppetM
9th Apr 2024, 12:19
Did anyone else have an issue loading the webinar today? The zoom verification emails were coming through but with no code….

RingleRider
9th Apr 2024, 18:37
You should be able to access the recording if you missed it if you click the link now. If you had any questions you wanted to ask I believe the next webinar is Thursday 11th (11/04/2024), I got sent the code fine though.

Cessna144
9th Apr 2024, 21:06
Hi i've not seen any information regarding a webinar for this year, could anyone send the link please?

szi
10th Apr 2024, 17:02
Anyone have an idea of the future dates that BA will open the speedbird program?

Clearedfortkof
11th Apr 2024, 18:48
I believe I recently have read on social media that they will open it soon.

OpticFS
11th Apr 2024, 19:28
I’ve seen online too however I did message the places I saw it and they were on about supporting the self sponsored pathway which meant they offered their training at a lower price

martinbryson
12th Apr 2024, 07:38
about 2 weeks after the checking test i was invited to the video interview
passed that and was asked to get in to one of the ATO'S and once ive done that to let them know and then they will invite me for the tech testing
currently waiting for my skyborne interview
tbh the tech testing is the part im most nervous about dont really have much experience with those kinds of things

edotmdot
14th Apr 2024, 21:28
Hello everybody!
I'm now in my last semester for a Degree in Aerospace Engineering and I plan to graduate in March 2025. Is it worth to apply now on April 16th? Or should I wait for a possible turn next year?

VariablePitchP
15th Apr 2024, 12:21
Hello everybody!
I'm now in my last semester for a Degree in Aerospace Engineering and I plan to graduate in March 2025. Is it worth to apply now on April 16th? Or should I wait for a possible turn next year?

Is you aim in life to become a BA pilot? If so absolutely 100% apply, you’d be insane not to.

Would it mean you possibly have to look at other options to complete the degree? Maybe. But they do exist, and if you get on the scheme you’re not using any part of your degree at any point in your working career anyway. So frankly it just doesn’t matter if you finish it or not.

Far better to decide with an offer in hand than not apply and regret it.

A320R348
16th Apr 2024, 11:16
Here we go again...! Interesting that are you willing to be considered for Cityflyer is a question now

FuturePilot_123
16th Apr 2024, 11:23
No mention of having ATPLs in the eligibility criteria.

Can someone confirm if you can apply with some ATPLs on this occasion? Thanks

Dopsonj
16th Apr 2024, 11:41
No mention of having ATPLs in the eligibility criteria.

Can someone confirm if you can apply with some ATPLs on this occasion? Thanks

This document here: https://tbcdn.talentbrew.com/company/22348/cms/pdfs/SpeedbirdPilotAcademy_FAQs_080424.pdf

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x531/screenshot_2024_04_16_at_12_40_36_e4b4447da66db6ce6ae32fc44c f9b1d3eda98440.png

"I’ve completed ATPL exams, and have over 100 hours can I apply?

If you have completed any ATPL exams either EASA or CAA, you won’t be able to apply. One of our
training requirements is that you pass your ground school in the first series. If you have started your
hour building, there is currently no upper limit on hours for the scheme, but they will not be
credited."

joey7415963
16th Apr 2024, 12:28
So, last year there was an almost immediate invite to the online tests. Anyone get an immediate invite? I just got an email saying they'll be in touch soon with the tests.

realECMLdriver
16th Apr 2024, 12:42
Many last year experienced issues with very slow load times for the initial wave of tests due to the volume of applicants, and subsequently ran out of time. My guess is that they're trying to stagger the assessments to prevent another overload. Pure speculation and happy to be corrected if wrong.

Speedbird183
16th Apr 2024, 12:59
Here we go again...! Interesting that are you willing to be considered for Cityflyer is a question now

Yeh what’s the thoughts on this? Are you going to be restricted to city flyer and not be able to move across?

Oasis
16th Apr 2024, 13:08
I’m in the queue, what information do they need so I can get it together?
how long was the application window open for last year?

thanks and good luck!

Dopsonj
16th Apr 2024, 14:04
Most questions are being answered on their application page:

https://careers.ba.com/job/heathrow/speedbird-pilot-academy/22348/64018121712Important messages:

There will be a delay of up to 2 working days between submitting your application and being invited to the first test.

After being invited to a test, you will have a maximum of 2 calendar days to complete it (e.g. if you are invited on a Thursday, you have until 23:59 on Saturday to complete it)

After completing any of our tests, you will receive an update on the next working day after finishing the test module. Please wait for an update before contacting us to check the status of your application.

If the Speedbird Pilot Academy application window closes early, you can continue with your online testing, provided you have created and submitted an application whilst the window was open.

RingleRider
16th Apr 2024, 15:22
Does anyone know if we should be uploading GCSE certificates in the supporting documentation section of the application?

PoppetM
16th Apr 2024, 16:05
Does anyone know if we should be uploading GCSE certificates in the supporting documentation section of the application?

I would…. I have just taken photos of mine and am awaiting the 1610 people in front of me to get into the site 😳

edotmdot
16th Apr 2024, 16:58
I’ve read the application process document on BA’s website, but for ghost of you Who’ve already applied, What is required to have ready when applying on The website? What documents? Also, any UE citizens applying? What about the right to work in the UK? I couldn’t find any useful related information about it

PoppetM
16th Apr 2024, 17:08
And the wait begins…..good luck everyone!

krankenhaus145
16th Apr 2024, 17:49
You should do but last time around, when we got to the first in person stage we could just upload them on to an iPad - you had to bring them in with you.