PDA

View Full Version : Durham Tees Valley-7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

highwideandugly
1st Feb 2019, 20:39
That’s another thing on the Mayors shopping list...snow clearing equipment!

expensive business running an airport!

VentureGo
1st Feb 2019, 20:44
This evening's Amsterdam flight KLM 1539 diverted to Newcastle. - (A/C is PH-EXJ)

Seemed to go direct to NCL without attempting to descend from 23,000ft overflying Teesside. ( ref.FR24)

Cautious Optimist
1st Feb 2019, 21:11
Airport closed until 2300 so he knew it was not practical to make an approach.

N707ZS
1st Feb 2019, 22:18
Note to mayor, needed more snow equipment and staff to operate it.

SWBKCB
2nd Feb 2019, 05:22
Note to mayor, needed more snow equipment and staff to operate it.

If the mayor reads his big book on managing an airport he'll find the question is how much income is lost by snow closures versuses the amount of taxpayers money that would have to be spent on staff and equipment to avoid them :ok:

VentureGo
2nd Feb 2019, 11:57
Today's KL1533 also diverted to NCL with KL1534 departing NCL to AMS at a delayed time of 13:00 - Busing passengers -possibly?

highwideandugly
2nd Feb 2019, 12:27
Anyone care to come up with a “needed” list to bring the airport up to speed..post PEEL?

Will they take much with them when they depart..or maybe sell/lease back,at a cost of course!

highwideandugly
2nd Feb 2019, 17:13
Just looking at the great DTVM( soon to be renamed!) site.What a depressing day at the airport movement wise.
It just shows how far it needs to go to even get a foot on the ladder?

As I repeat..it’s an expensive business running an airport!

N707ZS
10th Feb 2019, 15:46
Parish Council Doris Jones showing her true colours about the airport and telling more lies, hope the new Mayor can take her aside and tell her to stick to more parish council stuff like dog mess. Note, no idea why the quote comes out like it does.
Cllr Doris Jones, Conservative ward member for Sadberge and Middleton St George, has been both a backer of the airport deal and a critic of the housing boom.

The veteran councillor said she didn't know anybody who'd bought a house in Middleton or Long Newton who hadn't considered they lived next to an airport.

Cllr Jones added: "I don't object to it to be honest. It's four minutes of a plane landing and taking off and then it's gone."

But training flights which used the airstrip for "touch-and-go" landings irked her more.

"If it's a trainee pilot, they shouldn't be doing it over the top of houses - that worries me more," said Cllr Jones.

highwideandugly
10th Feb 2019, 18:56
Don’t think these views are too controversial?

Away from that council speak..wonder when concrete(pardon the pun..) announcements and plans will filter through?

No-More-Bullschit
11th Feb 2019, 13:01
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/were-used-planes-noise-what-15808732?fbclid=IwAR1IuqxxQxYW3MXwF4LBFEk1ClFRC9Ks1ryQ42vkA-O6gzmWae_9JFwdW6g

I bet the hypocrites will soon change their tunes once the flights start turning up!!!

SWBKCB
11th Feb 2019, 13:07
"If it's a trainee pilot, they shouldn't be doing it over the top of houses - that worries me more,"

I'd have thought that coming out with phrases like this would immediately disqualify you from public office...

N707ZS
11th Feb 2019, 15:13
Probably the reason why the RAF don't come as much as they used to the old bat phones them up and complains.

Fairdealfrank
14th Feb 2019, 23:47
Anyone care to come up with a “needed” list to bring the airport up to speed..post PEEL?

A link to Heathrow, but, regrettably, that's easier said than done. Its the loss of the Heathrow link that almost killed off the airport.

Just looking at the great DTVM( soon to be renamed!) site.What a depressing day at the airport movement wise.=left
It just shows how far it needs to go to even get a foot on the ladder?=left
=left
As I repeat..it’s an expensive business running an airport!

Renamed to something geographically relevant, such as "Middlesbrough-Teesside" would be a good idea, Even "James Cook Airport" would be better than the present nonsensical name.

jensdad
15th Feb 2019, 00:13
... "Middlesbrough-Teesside" would be a good idea, Even "James Cook Airport" would be better than the present nonsensical name.

'Brian Clough International' would be good :) Joking aside, they would still need a geographical name as in the case of John Lennon and George Best airports. 'Teesside' didn't do them a great deal of harm for the many years it was called that, although the name 'Middlesbrough' might be better known internationally.

SWBKCB
15th Feb 2019, 06:00
The people have already spoken....

Durham Tees Valley Airport 'would revert to Teesside International' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-46630857)

GrahamK
15th Feb 2019, 06:22
What happens if/when the new owners cannot attract new business to the airport?

SWBKCB
15th Feb 2019, 06:30
The mayor has stated that if the airport isn't viable the land will be used for development.

oldart
15th Feb 2019, 08:52
Are TUI going to come back after being given the elbow not so many moons ago? They helped to give Teesside it's core bucket and spade business, I believe schedule flights will be harder to find in the short term. Heathrow would seem to be a long way off at returning, Dublin and Brussels might work, however a low cost airline is the only solution as far as I can see.

SWBKCB
15th Feb 2019, 09:15
We are going round in circles again, but the mayor sold the deal on connecting Teesside businesses to the world, not cheap holidays for voters.

So what would a loco be the solution to?

tigertanaka
15th Feb 2019, 10:31
We are going round in circles again, but the mayor sold the deal on connecting Teesside businesses to the world, not cheap holidays for voters.

They mayor might have sold it as connecting Teesside businesses to the world but voters probably went to the ballot box thinking of cheap holidays.

N707ZS
15th Feb 2019, 12:54
With Peelexit on the horizon the airport staff don't seem to distracted by it!

Robert-Ryan
15th Feb 2019, 13:22
Thomson are said to be chomping at the bit to get back in and that was before the takeover. The Mayor sold the deal on both connecting businesses and cheap holiday flights, his turnaround plan leans heavily on getting the latter in, apparently favouring Easyjet as crazy as that may be.

Skyflier
15th Feb 2019, 14:15
A link to Heathrow, but, regrettably, that's easier said than done. Its the loss of the Heathrow link that almost killed off the airport.

As a Londoner who is a regular visitor to Durham, on every trip these days I lament the loss of the LHR-MME service on British Midland Airways (not the confused mess bmi became). It would be amazing if it came back but somehow I doubt BA would ever even consider it but maybe it might be tested out be the new incarnation of FlyBe which seems to be becoming know ans Virgin Connect. Hopefully a couple of services a day on a DH8 would be sustainable and at least as profitable as their current LHR-EDI and LHR-ABZ operations where they are using a DH8 up against BA A320s.

Here's hoping.

N707ZS
15th Feb 2019, 14:40
It was a shame that Little Red the Virgin LHR shuttle flights weren't started at DTVA it might of ended better for both parties.

highwideandugly
18th Feb 2019, 15:29
Credit the great DTVM website..sad pictures of GFRAP going the distance..what an amazing career..wonder how many flying hours?
Anyone in the know...is this a one off or the start of the Falcons leaving the NE airspace scene?

Think the contract is up for tender..so will the age of these amazing aircraft have any bearing on the award?

Anone any updates on the progress of the takeover completion pre end of March?

Robert-Ryan
18th Feb 2019, 16:21
Start of the end. If Cobham lose the tender the Falcons will be retired, if they win the contract the Falcons will be retired. They are no good for the F-35 crews. Reports suggest those ex Spanish Mirage F1s Draken bought would head our way...let's see how long good old Doris remains pro-airport then!!!

highwideandugly
18th Feb 2019, 17:52
Cost to the airport if a negative outcome is this worry?

Don’t think Doris has seen too many Mirages!

onion
19th Feb 2019, 16:18
Are the Mirages actually earmarked to replace the Falcons if they won the current tender or is it that they are actually to replace the Hawks?
Can the Mirages actually replicate the work done by the Falcons? 🤔

Convair 440
19th Feb 2019, 18:47
Credit the great DTVM website..sad pictures of GFRAP going the distance..what an amazing career..wonder how many flying hours?

G-INFO has it with 26940 hrs up to 21st September 17

come back Beafer

SWBKCB
19th Feb 2019, 19:23
The proposed contract is a completely different beast to that which Cobham currently have. From a quick look at the history and the shifting alliances of participants, I would say that the prospect of finding it who does what from where is quite a distant one...

However, MME still has the same advantages that led to Cobham chosing it in the first, so might be attractive to whoever wins.

Fairdealfrank
21st Feb 2019, 00:17
'Brian Clough International' would be good :) Joking aside, they would still need a geographical name as in the case of John Lennon and George Best airports. 'Teesside' didn't do them a great deal of harm for the many years it was called that, although the name 'Middlesbrough' might be better known internationally

Oh yeah had forgotten about good old Cloughie! Agree that Middlesbrough should be in the name.

Are TUI going to come back after being given the elbow not so many moons ago? They helped to give Teesside it's core bucket and spade business, I believe schedule flights will be harder to find in the short term. Heathrow would seem to be a long way off at returning, Dublin and Brussels might work, however a low cost airline is the only solution as far as I can see.

Regretably, Heathrow is a long way off, but it's needed to connect the area to the world and to the businesses of the Thames Valley.

We are going round in circles again, but the mayor sold the deal on connecting Teesside businesses to the world, not cheap holidays for voters.=left
=left

Why can't it be a bit of both if TUI was willing to come back? Take what you can get to rebuild the airport.

They mayor might have sold it as connecting Teesside businesses to the world but voters probably went to the ballot box thinking of cheap holidays.

Doesn't matter if it brings business to the airport. Everyone's a winner?

As a Londoner who is a regular visitor to Durham, on every trip these days I lament the loss of the LHR-MME service on British Midland Airways (not the confused mess bmi became). It would be amazing if it came back but somehow I doubt BA would ever even consider it but maybe it might be tested out be the new incarnation of FlyBe which seems to be becoming know ans Virgin Connect. Hopefully a couple of services a day on a DH8 would be sustainable and at least as profitable as their current LHR-EDI and LHR-ABZ operations where they are using a DH8 up against BA A320s.=left
=left
Here's hoping.

Me too, also used the British Midland service a few times visiting friends, bloody convenient!

Any remedy slots left for this? Not convinced that all 14 are being used. Might have been a better idea than duplicating existing routes......What about a PSO arrangement?

PS how to get rid of all the extra bits in the quoted text. Doesn't appear till the post is saved, and unable to edit out.

Skyflier
25th Feb 2019, 16:38
Me too, also used the British Midland service a few times visiting friends, bloody convenient!

Any remedy slots left for this? Not convinced that all 14 are being used. Might have been a better idea than duplicating existing routes......What about a PSO arrangement?

There aren't any remedy slots because BD had ceased to operate the route before the sale to BA and for that matter there weren't any for GLA for the same reason. Remedy slots were there for EDI, ABZ and MAN but AFAIK they were all used on EDI and ABZ.

In the new world FlyBe/Virgin Connect are introducing one rotation LHR-GCI in the late afternoon each day but that's all that has happened so far and it's using a VS slot that had been leased to Cobalt - timings are exactly what the Cobalt LCA service was using.

I doubt MME would qualify for a PSO and again AFAIK they only relate to some of the Scottish Islands with nothing on the mainland and given the service from Darlington to KGX there would never be an argument.

SWBKCB
25th Feb 2019, 17:08
Isn't NQY-LHR a PSO route? I agree the train service would probably rule it out, not to mention the AMS flts and LHR from LBA and NCL

Cautious Optimist
25th Feb 2019, 17:35
Does anyone have a load factor for Flybe's EDI-LHR? Just with the prospect of common ownership between us all I suspect there may just be enough empty seats to justify it becoming an EDI-MME-LHR...perhaps with an upgrade to E175? Wild speculation of course but probably the most plausible of all the LHR theories, which before now were completely pointless.

In other route news KLM are dropping the afternoon flight during July/August again...:ugh:

SWBKCB
25th Feb 2019, 18:03
Does anyone have a load factor for Flybe's EDI-LHR? Just with the prospect of common ownership between us all I suspect there may just be enough empty seats to justify it becoming an EDI-MME-LHR...perhaps with an upgrade to E175? Wild speculation of course but probably the most plausible of all the LHR theories, which before now were completely pointless

Would this meet the remedy slots criteria?

Fairdealfrank
26th Feb 2019, 00:19
There aren't any remedy slots because BD had ceased to operate the route before the sale to BA and for that matter there weren't any for GLA for the same reason. Remedy slots were there for EDI, ABZ and MAN but AFAIK they were all used on EDI and ABZ.

In the new world FlyBe/Virgin Connect are introducing one rotation LHR-GCI in the late afternoon each day but that's all that has happened so far and it's using a VS slot that had been leased to Cobalt - timings are exactly what the Cobalt LCA service was using.

I doubt MME would qualify for a PSO and again AFAIK they only relate to some of the Scottish Islands with nothing on the mainland and given the service from Darlington to KGX there would never be an argument.

Seems a bit silly: duplicating what already exists when increasing connectivity would make more sense. Whose idea was that?

Fair point about KGX but consideration has to be given to connecting pax and those pax headed to points in the south other than London city centre.

Does anyone have a load factor for Flybe's EDI-LHR? Just with the prospect of common ownership between us all I suspect there may just be enough empty seats to justify it becoming an EDI-MME-LHR...perhaps with an upgrade to E175? Wild speculation of course but probably the most plausible of all the LHR theories, which before now were completely pointless.

Novel idea, would need to be a very quick stopover at MME and this is definitely possible because it's a small quiet airport. Also doesn't need to be on all five (?) of the LHR-EDI flights.

Would this meet the remedy slots criteria?

Who knows! Shouldn't do because it's bringing another non-BA airport on-stream .

No-More-Bullschit
26th Feb 2019, 08:26
Smooth Radio reporting that DTV is best airport in the country for delays! I laughed at first cynically thinking 'there's no flights to be delayed' then I remembered about Eastern's performance and decided it was quite the achievement!

SWBKCB
26th Feb 2019, 10:41
Who knows! Shouldn't do because it's bringing another non-BA airport on-stream

The aim of the remedy slots is to maintain competition on routes where BA bought out the existing competitor

Robert-Ryan
26th Feb 2019, 20:21
It seems a perfectly reasonable suggestion to me but no doubt it would be met with more red tape and bureaucracy than would be worth the hassle

Robert-Ryan
27th Feb 2019, 12:59
Anyone know if Middlesbrough hosting Radio 1s Big Weekend is likely to generate any extra traffic? Some helicopters and a couple of private jets perhaps?

tigertanaka
7th Mar 2019, 10:06
January CAA stats:
Terminal passengers: 9,803 - down 7% v prior year
Aberdeen: 1,533 - down 44%
Amsterdam: 8,221 - up 8%

Amsterdam shows year-on-year growth for the 16th month in succession and it was the best January on the MME-AMS route since 2008. Aberdeen down again due to the extra Loganair flights last year but was up slightly on January 2017.

Rolling 12 month passengers: 138,851

No-More-Bullschit
13th Mar 2019, 16:40
Just been told there's a press conference at the airport tomorrow, new operator announcement?

highwideandugly
13th Mar 2019, 18:33
Well , as we approach the end of March..it should be the new operator?

However..could be a short period charter operation? I honestly don’t know!

fjencl
14th Mar 2019, 10:43
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17500357.stobart-group-announced-as-new-durham-tees-valley-airport-operator/

mmeteesside
16th Mar 2019, 11:41
Should come as no surprise to anybody that Stobart are the new operators (and part owners) - here's hoping they can hit the ground running by bringing in new business links. It's not going to be easy of course... otherwise it would have all happened in the past few years. Can't help but wonder whether a link to Southend would appease those wanting a link to London, only an hour by train to the city, similar timing to Heathrow and Gatwick. Seems a logical step now really.

SWBKCB
16th Mar 2019, 12:23
Stobart are the new operators (and part owners)

Stobart are part owners (25%) of the holding company which will run the airport - the airport is 100% owned by the various bits of local govt.

PDXCWL45
16th Mar 2019, 12:29
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17500357.stobart-group-announced-as-new-durham-tees-valley-airport-operator/
Is the $300 million figure for the Stobart Ryanair deal correct?

SWBKCB
16th Mar 2019, 12:48
Probably a question for the Southend thread

DC3 Dave
16th Mar 2019, 13:07
Does the airport need money spent on its infrastructure? Stobart will be more than happy if 75% of the cost is met by the public purse - not least because the main contractor for major upgrades is likely to be part of the Stobart Group.

SWBKCB
16th Mar 2019, 14:08
Does the airport need money spent on its infrastructure?

Do bears sh*t in the woods?

N707ZS
16th Mar 2019, 19:43
New lights were installed a few years ago, new radar is being fitted right now. Terminal is currently suited to low capacity. New entrance road was built. Who paid for all this is a long story.

SWBKCB
16th Mar 2019, 20:37
Who paid for all this is a long story.

Given the new era of transparency promised by the Mayor, what is done, who does it, etc should all be a matter of public record, given as it will be taxpayers money paying for it.

Robert-Ryan
16th Mar 2019, 21:43
I thought Look North showing the derelict parts of the terminal and saying Peel have let it go to rot was harsh, they made no secret of moth balling 40 percent, what kind of state were they expecting?!

oldart
17th Mar 2019, 09:34
I presume that if traffic at MME was to increase, surely an improved Cat ILS system would need to be installed, that won't come cheap.

Robert-Ryan
20th Mar 2019, 14:18
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/03/19/defence-chiefs-ditch-contract-private-airforce-raf-train-against/?fbclid=IwAR2tx42nUjizB8ixBon-gSRQEVe7i31s9Bu6mTL9clBzxNB3TWbilQtZnOc

Not looking good for Cobham

SWBKCB
20th Mar 2019, 16:50
Not looking good for Cobham

Depends - they're the ones currently sitting with a contract. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.....

highwideandugly
20th Mar 2019, 18:06
That was a 2 million pound contract keeping the airport going over the lean years.

So..let’s hope there are not too many lean years ahead..or else the good old Teesside tax payers will be picking up that tab as well!

N707ZS
20th Mar 2019, 20:10
Its the Mayor's money not the Tees Valley tax payers.

highwideandugly
20th Mar 2019, 20:30
Think you will find it all filters down.
Will there be enough money in the windfall for a new Tees crossing..which I think we all agree is probably ,for the region ,a more major need?

Fact is that’s 2 million which the mayor was probably relying upon to a degree..has gone ?

just feel the airport was fine with its connectivity through Amsterdam...now who knows? Alicante is not the answer.

SWBKCB
20th Mar 2019, 20:54
Its the Mayor's money not the Tees Valley tax payers.

And where do you think the Mayor gets his money from? Central Government - so it's all taxpayers money which is being used to subsidise MME.

Jamesair
21st Mar 2019, 09:01
Completely off-thread but people need reminding sometimes that there is no magic money tree....Central Government has only two sources of funds.....Taxation and Borrowing....the latter has to be repaid.

N707ZS
21st Mar 2019, 16:19
Jamesair, read the local press and come back, the Conservative Mayor has a magic money tree it is fruiting millions for him, as well as the airport he has 500 million to buy the local steelworks site. The local labour councils tried to grow a magic money tree but failed.

Jamesair
21st Mar 2019, 16:50
That may be a political spending decision made by the Government of the day but the source of the money remains the same. Governments of whatever colour make political decisions on how to spend in accordance with their political agenda.

EGPO
22nd Mar 2019, 01:12
That may be a political spending decision made by the Government of the day but the source of the money remains the same. Governments of whatever colour make political decisions on how to spend in accordance with their political agenda.

Having followed this story for years and , I genuinely feel sorry for all of you who of course not only support your local airport .
But it's your right as with all ' public transport' , This is a point government forgets , public transport is a necessity and a right - from reopening wrongly closed rail lines to this situation.

Why is Alicante for example a bad idea , if offered they'd have to take it, because as car use costs increase. Plus more and more conjestion, getting to Newcastle from the south ,the road to it is nigh on impossible due to traffic volumes . I don't know about public transport to it.

But Teeside it's catchment area must have potential, I fear it's slow decline was down solely to mismanagement imho.

For the future , another ' Hub ' Destination would be good, for example Dublin , preclears ' US Immigration , so a Stobart air service to Dublin should do very well.
A London route should also do well , Southend likely if again Stobart air offer any routes , which we can but hope.
It would be a strange move not to .

So I guess the question to you guys up there , if you could have any destination served ( it has to be in the realm of possibility) but what would work well , could the above ' suggestions I made ' work with Stobart, starting small say using I'd guess an ATR? .

SWBKCB
22nd Mar 2019, 07:24
Plus more and more conjestion, getting to Newcastle from the south ,the road to it is nigh on impossible due to traffic volumes . I don't know about public transport to it.

Ok - I'll bite - is the A1 from the south to NCL that bad? At peak times maybe, but given the main waves of departures from NCL what really is the impact? Also, the alternatives aren't exactly a breeze - Edinburgh by-pass, A1/M18 junction to DSA, A658 to Leeds, M62/60/56 to Manchester and dare I mention the A19/A66 and the "Yarm crawl" to MME?

As for public transport, mainline train to Newcastle Central station then Metro directly to the terminal

https://www.newcastleairport.com/passengers/getting-here/by-train/

N707ZS
22nd Mar 2019, 07:54
Do we really need to re-open the Durham Tees Valley versus Newcastle and Leeds debate.

SWBKCB
22nd Mar 2019, 14:53
He's not a shy bairn - buys the airport with taxpayers money and now wants APD cut.

Politicians clash over future of airport tax (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/17518313.politicians-clash-over-future-of-airport-tax/)

tigertanaka
22nd Mar 2019, 18:29
Ok - I'll bite - is the A1 from the south to NCL that bad? At peak times maybe, but given the main waves of departures from NCL what really is the impact? Also, the alternatives aren't exactly a breeze - Edinburgh by-pass, A1/M18 junction to DSA, A658 to Leeds, M62/60/56 to Manchester and dare I mention the A19/A66 and the "Yarm crawl" to MME?

As for public transport, mainline train to Newcastle Central station then Metro directly to the terminal

https://www.newcastleairport.com/passengers/getting-here/by-train/

I agree. The road is only a big issue if you are on the A1 around Gateshead at 7:30-9:00am in the morning. On Monday, I left Darlington at 6am, drove to NCL, parked in the long stay and comfortably got the 7:55 BA flight to LHR. Last night I landed at 9pm and walked in the house an hour later.

The train can work quite well but as the first train from Darlington does not arrive at Newcastle Station until about 7am, even if you get straight on the metro there is no way you would dare take a flight before 8:30 in the morning.

highwideandugly
22nd Mar 2019, 21:15
Road traffic is a major problem wherever you are.Yes the Western bypass is not good at certain times..however the Silverlink A19 super! Triple flyover opens this week..I would guess that will take a massive amount of traffic off the Western bypass?

More need for for a second Tees crossing on the A19...oops..where is the money for that?

jensdad
22nd Mar 2019, 21:35
..however the Silverlink A19 super! Triple flyover opens this week..I would guess that will take a massive amount of traffic off the Western bypass?

It was until this happened... https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/work-starts-125m-scheme-cut-16006569

SWBKCB
22nd Mar 2019, 22:21
I would guess that will take a massive amount of traffic off the Western bypass?

I'll not be holding my breathe... :eek:

N707ZS
22nd Mar 2019, 23:42
Silverlink A19 super, will be ideal for Scottish travellers to fly on the DTVA summer flights again.

sixchannel
23rd Mar 2019, 09:23
It was until this happened... https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/work-starts-125m-scheme-cut-16006569
Lack of joined-up thinking - again.

OMGitsDAVE
23rd Mar 2019, 21:22
Lack of joined-up thinking - again.

Actually, I know someone who's working on the scheme. It was agreed to delay Testo's until after Silverlink so the whole team could move across - same contractors. Therefore, rather than run both parallel to each other, it was agreed to extend the start date so the issue is only in one area at a time, but more workers on the section.

sixchannel
23rd Mar 2019, 21:46
Actually, I know someone who's working on the scheme. It was agreed to delay Testo's until after Silverlink so the whole team could move across - same contractors. Therefore, rather than run both parallel to each other, it was agreed to extend the start date so the issue is only in one area at a time, but more workers on the section.
I was thinking more from the Motorists POV. We visit Northumberland often and were looking forwards to a clear A19 run, having abandoned the Western Bypass some time ago due to high traffic volumes overflowing its capacity and utterly bonkers driving standards.

highwideandugly
3rd Apr 2019, 20:06
Does the panel think the FLYBE problems will have any bearing on a Teesside base? Lots of chat that they ,through The Stobarts connection! Might be the based operator? Doubtful now?

SWBKCB
3rd Apr 2019, 20:17
Does the panel think the FLYBE problems will have any bearing on a Teesside base? Lots of chat that they ,through The Stobarts connection! Might be the based operator? Doubtful now?

Money talks - how deep are the Mayor's pockets?

N707ZS
4th Apr 2019, 13:10
Deep enough to have a Cessna flying around with a banner saying "Ben Houchin buys airport" two one hour slots.

highwideandugly
4th Apr 2019, 19:28
Hope he covered that cost and not the local taxpayers!

SWBKCB
7th Apr 2019, 07:35
New owners swing into action?

However, disaster struck on Saturday 30th March when the previous land occupiers, Goosepool House & Cafe, informed the organisers that the event simply couldn’t go ahead. They had been issued with a letter from Durham Tees Valley Airport to state that this event was simply too big for the area and had a number of risk factors involved, the organisers were told to cancel the show with immediate effect.

Local Businessman Saves Classic & Retro Show by Bringing it to Aycliffe (https://www.newtonnews.co.uk/local-businessman-saves-classic-retro-show-by-bringing-it-to-aycliffe/)

Robert-Ryan
7th Apr 2019, 09:15
I think it's a case of the organisers/cafe should have asked first rather than just going ahead and arranging it

N707ZS
7th Apr 2019, 10:27
Though Goosepool House and Café was still open? And never heard of the show past or present.

highwideandugly
7th Apr 2019, 17:08
Fly Be thread makes depressing reading at moment..along with Eastern!
Therefore concerns over future or potential routes from Teesside Airport.Im still not sure where this low cost carrier is going to materialise from? I think you can rule out Jet 2 due to local competition from Leeds and Newcastle.
Easy Jet ,doubtful as again it would dilute Manchester and Newcastle.
Ryanair...they work in a different world to others..so..probably the best option? However due to the hard bargaining they employ..doubtful much inward revenue for the airport.
Anyone else?...who knows.

PDXCWL45
7th Apr 2019, 18:10
Fly Be thread makes depressing reading at moment..along with Eastern!
Therefore concerns over future or potential routes from Teesside Airport.Im still not sure where this low cost carrier is going to materialise from? I think you can rule out Jet 2 due to local competition from Leeds and Newcastle.
Easy Jet ,doubtful as again it would dilute Manchester and Newcastle.
Ryanair...they work in a different world to others..so..probably the best option? However due to the hard bargaining they employ..doubtful much inward revenue for the airport.
Anyone else?...who knows.
With Ryanair the airport would be earning revenue off the passenger boost in the shops eateries and car parking.

pug
7th Apr 2019, 18:42
With Ryanair the airport would be earning revenue off the passenger boost in the shops eateries and car parking.

Not sure how much revenue can be gained to offset the cost of Ryanair presumably wanting to operate for nothing and have concessions on top. The catch-22 situation of running a small regional airport these days. I imagine the airport would deem it appropriate to stipulate a minimum passenger throughput to sustain the operation at a hugely reduced rate, but then would invariably mean the airline would have to offer a significant number of seats at a much reduced cost to enable the passenger numbers to be met. Simply unsustainable for both parties. This is the reason airports either introduce a ‘pax tax’ (MME past) or decide to forego low-cost airlines altogether as is the case at HUY. Also the reason airlines focus on the larger hubs where there is the critical mass - both from the much larger catchment areas, and from the higher airline interest - to absorb the costs and ultimately reduce the risk.

highwideandugly
7th Apr 2019, 19:42
PDXCWL..yes that goes without saying...have you been to the airport..no shops or eateries to speak of..car parking very cheap at mo.

its a long road/runway ahead!

N707ZS
8th Apr 2019, 18:17
Was surprised to see the new radar is at the 05 end of the airfield on top of steel tower. The other two are/were located on the 23 end.

highwideandugly
8th Apr 2019, 19:28
Maybe forward thinking re obstacles at east end in the future?

N707ZS
8th Apr 2019, 21:06
On that subject there already is the metal A380 and 747/MD11 combi at the fire school.

tigertanaka
12th Apr 2019, 20:04
February CAA stats:
Terminal passengers: 10,966 - up 5% v prior year
Aberdeen: 1,438 - down 40%
Amsterdam: 9,048 - up 14%
Akureyri: 378 (one off charter)

Amsterdam shows year-on-year growth for the 17th month in succession and it was the best February on the MME-AMS route since 2007. Aberdeen down again due to the extra Loganair flights last year and a bit down on February 2017. Selling 189 places out of 218/220 available spaces on a Titan A321 for a midweek trip to Iceland's second city seems pretty good to me.

Rolling 12 month passengers: 139,358

Robert-Ryan
18th Apr 2019, 21:23
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/plan-teesside-airport-name-change-16151805

SWBKCB
19th Apr 2019, 05:09
This is all a bit curious - you'd have thought Peel would own the name "Teesside International Airport" and that the rights would have been included in the deal. Similarly, if Mr Joseph had tried to sell them the name "Teesside Airport" in 2016 that should have sold up. Anyway, should have been sorted out before going public with the name change

To be saying If he wasn’t doing this we would have been able to change the name back already looks a bit unprofessional. I know there is no such thing as bad publicity, but... :rolleyes:

N707ZS
19th Apr 2019, 12:34
All part of the current roller coaster ride.

Robert-Ryan
19th Apr 2019, 13:53
I find it odd that he would snap up the rights to Teesside Airport but not Teesside International Airport, or even Tees Valley Airport for that matter...

SWBKCB
19th Apr 2019, 14:48
Wouldn't Peel still own "Teesside International Airport"?

tigertanaka
19th Apr 2019, 19:45
The "Teesside Airport" trademark is owned by Chris Joseph who also (interestingly) owns the dormant companies: "Teesside Airport Limited", "Teesside International Airport Limited", "Tees Valley Airport Limited" and "Tees Valley International Airport Limited". Owning these companies will strengthen the argument that he has genuine rights to the trademark.

Juts to be clear, these companies are nothing to do with the "Teesside International Airport Limited" that was renamed "Durham Tees Valley Airport Limited" in 2004 and which is what the Tees Valley Combined Authority purchased recently.

It looks to me that Peel probably let the Teesside Airport trademarks lapse some time ago (it can be an expensive process to maintain trademarks) and this guy has picked them up.

The IPO website also shows that on 10 December, the Tees Valley Combined Authority applied for the "Teesside International Airport" trademark and that this application is currently being reviewed. Of course, this could well be contested by Mr Joseph who might claim that he owns a company of the same name and also a similar trademark.

virginblue
19th Apr 2019, 20:51
The "Teesside Airport" trademark is owned by Chris Joseph who also (interestingly) owns the dormant companies: "Teesside Airport Limited", "Teesside International Airport Limited", "Tees Valley Airport Limited" and "Tees Valley International Airport Limited". Owning these companies will strengthen the argument that he has genuine rights to the trademark.

Really? Setting up and "running" a dormant Ltd. costs a few quid annually, so it is not really much different from registering a domain.

DC3 Dave
19th Apr 2019, 23:45
I'm truly struggling here. If this Chris Joseph fella can truly prevent the airport using any of the the names he "owns" then come up with another and render his ownership absolutely worthless.

Or, explain this reality to him, offer him a grand for "his name" and tell him to foxtrot oscar.

SWBKCB
20th Apr 2019, 05:35
DC3D - the article at #1386 explains, in summary:

come up with another and render his ownership absolutely worthless.
The Mayor has asked the people of Teesside and they have spoken - its "Teesside International" they want...

offer him a grand for "his name" and tell him to foxtrot oscar
The current asking price is £250k, bit of an expectation gap there....

As always, the 7P's... :eek:

highwideandugly
25th Apr 2019, 12:48
After the euphoria of a month or so ago..it’s all gone quiet on the thread.

Anyone have any news,rumours or speculation we can all comment on?

Havnt been through the terminal for a while..does anyone know if the departure tax machine has gone?
Any update on the very important subject of Cobhams operation?

SWBKCB
25th Apr 2019, 12:54
Havnt been through the terminal for a while..does anyone know if the departure tax machine has gone?

No - the Mayor has said something along the lines of the departure tax is still needed while the airport is making losses

N707ZS
25th Apr 2019, 15:08
Here's a piece from the local rag about who paid for two banner towing flights with a banner saying "Ben has bought the airport". First one backfired as it had to fly from Fishburn a local grass strip! Other than this we know nothing.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/plane-spotted-flying-across-teesside-16181272

tigertanaka
25th Apr 2019, 16:51

Was still there on 14 April. Both legs to and from AMS were rammed.

SWBKCB
26th Apr 2019, 09:21
Here's a piece from the local rag about who paid for two banner towing flights with a banner saying "Ben has bought the airport". First one backfired as it had to fly from Fishburn a local grass strip! Other than this we know nothing.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/plane-spotted-flying-across-teesside-16181272As well as the knock about stuff about the banner towing, this bit is interesting:

David Soley, deputy chairman of the LEP (local enterprise partnership), told councillors he had been given "specific responsibility" for the airport and revealed he'd had meetings with Stobart staff. Mr Soley added: "I was in on the meeting in Middlesbrough and I made a speech saying that was the first day of the airport - and that the purchase was, dare I say, the easy bit. What we've got to do is make sure we control it, manage it, and we don't have the tail wagging the dog. Because Stobart is there as an operator, it doesn't mean we hand over everything to them - we've got to make sure we're in the driving seat and that we control it. "It's not just getting airlines in - it's the whole site and there's lots of things we to look. It needs to be open and transparent."

Looks like the political issues will rumble on....Cllr Haszeldine said: "Gerrymandering from higher up meant that politically, it was very difficult to call in this investment plan because you either took in all of it or none of it. I think that was a deliberate ploy, not by officers, but other areas within this building to make it very difficult to call it in. I don't think we did enough or there was enough information around the airport deal. He added: "We failed slightly in our role in bringing that to the attention of the public. "It was dealt in such a way that it made it very difficult for other members of the cabinet to make a fair and proper assumption on the deal. That became very clear when the full plan for the airport was not released until days or maybe a week before the investment plan was done and decisions had to me made."

I think he's referring to the way the airport deal was bundled with the authorities whole investment budget, rather than reviewed seperately.

'Stop moaning' mayor urges as claims of 'mistakes' made in Durham Tees Valley Airport deal (https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/stop-moaning-mayor-urges-claims-16182995)

Robert-Ryan
28th Apr 2019, 21:02
Air Ambulance update:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48084426

N707ZS
28th Apr 2019, 21:06
Good luck to them moving to that toxic place.

Robert-Ryan
8th May 2019, 21:59
New gaffers

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/introducing-new-top-team-durham-16244640

Gunfighter52
10th May 2019, 21:18
It has been anounced that Stobart Jet Centre has taken over from Consort, which was to be expected really.

Also, the 24th looks to be a busy day for the airport, with the Lourdes charters and the Radio One Big Weekend biz traffic coinciding.

Convair 440
11th May 2019, 11:26
Airport Railway station is now chained off and closed to passengers

N707ZS
11th May 2019, 11:51
A few small things are slowly getting done around the airfield which haven't been done for years like groundwork. Hopefully to encourage new companies. Station is probably the last thing on anyone's mind.

sixchannel
11th May 2019, 12:13
The only on-airport hotel (St George) a bit threadbare though it was gets closed down.
Then the dedicated on-airport railway station ( although hardly used due I suspect in part to no trains stopping there) gets closed.
And yet everyone bangs on about MME having a wonderful future.
Not from where I'm sitting.
Is there some nefarious scheme at play here?

Robert-Ryan
11th May 2019, 12:24
Whilst not recognised by the airport the Spa Hotel or Durham Tees Hotel I think it's now called is still on-site. Whilst the airport having a wonderful future may be overly optimistic railway stations and hotels ultimately have no bearing on an airports fortunes (at least not for smaller regional airports anyway) and the airport has a perfectly content future.

N707ZS
11th May 2019, 14:39
And what's DTVA go to do with Wolverhampton or are you planning on being a new troll.

Convair 440
11th May 2019, 19:19
N707ZS
Don`t you like to have competition trolling you trolled Beafers every post

Robert-Ryan
11th May 2019, 20:20
It's acceptable to troll other trolls and most on here know Beafer invited it, thank goodness he was never proven right in his arguments!

sixchannel
11th May 2019, 20:20
And what's DTVA go to do with Wolverhampton or are you planning on being a new troll.
Back in the day when I worked for an International company with factories in West Mids AND Darlington as well as design centres in Europe I spent more than a few nights at the old St Georges and many a flight out of MME, Europe bound.
So I have a sentimental interest in the old place.
So there!
No trolling.

Robert-Ryan
11th May 2019, 20:51
Am I the only one missing the Wolverhampton reference?

Convair 440
11th May 2019, 21:15
It's acceptable to troll other trolls and most on here know Beafer invited it, thank goodness he was never proven right in his arguments!

Didn`t think trolling was acceptable at all
two wrongs don`t make a right

N707ZS
11th May 2019, 22:27
Convair Beafer was unique, we believe he is now secure in the hospital on site. I actually work at the airport and know the staff past and present very well.

sixchannel
12th May 2019, 08:03
Am I the only one missing the Wolverhampton reference?
Can't comment on the thought process as to why I might be a troll because I live in Wolverhampton. He probably picked it up from my profile and thinks anyone from outside the area shouldn't post comments.
My attachment to the NE, not that I have to justify it, goes back many many years. (I'm even married to a Geordie) . Sadly the factory in Yarm Road closed and got demolished and for a time I thought MME was going the same way.

Convair 440
12th May 2019, 09:02
Convair Beafer was unique, we believe he is now secure in the hospital on site. I actually work at the airport and know the staff past and present very well.
I know you do
I hope you visit him and wish him well

Convair 440
12th May 2019, 15:35
I'm not sure who N7zzzz is referring to where he says WE, but he/she hasn't been to visit me in MSG or the hospital ;)
I had heard Nz7zz was the car park attendant at the airport. Again that my be a rumour as he refers to him/herself as WE so there may be more than one person / (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17634204.parish-objects-to-plans-for-dozens-of-homes-near-darlington/)

Maybe he has a split personality referring to himself as we and may be in need of
a hospital bed
Welcome back Beafer

Robert-Ryan
12th May 2019, 16:06
He's probably saying "we" because 95% of people on here share his opinion towards Beafer and his views

Convair 440
12th May 2019, 16:25
He's probably saying "we" because 95% of people on here share his opinion towards Beafer and his views

Didn`t Know there had been a vote
how do you know 95% of people on here share his opinion of Beafer and his views

sixchannel
12th May 2019, 16:29
How sad that this thread about an airfield in which I have genuine concerns and hopes for its future has descended into a personal p---ing battle.
I have now unsubscribed from it.

N707ZS
12th May 2019, 16:58
Wonder how Beafer got a phone in the Priory Hospital.
Sixchannel, if you come here and throw stones you are bound to get abuse. I will say we hope the airport is about to turn a corner after it has just been bought, the ink hasn't dried on the paper as yet. Perhaps come back in three years and make the same comments and we might agree with you if nothing has happened.

N707ZS
12th May 2019, 18:10
Signing off for good now Peel are gone. :D :ok:
You forgot something.

williamleo
13th May 2019, 10:14
very good news:)

Robert-Ryan
13th May 2019, 12:08
I feel a need to backtrack a little here, one because I've stooped too low and I'm sure face-to-face Beafer is a nice enough guy, and two because the pprune police are gonna be all over this like a rash before much longer. That said, Beafer by dictionary definition is a troll and it seems every thread on here has it's own Beafer. Whilst there has been some minor rallying around him on this occasion, the history of the thread speaks for itself, 95% was obviously a estimation but let's knock 10% off of that so there can be no mistake. I think even if myself and others receive a ban it doesn't matter so long as Beafers arguments continue to have no foundation.

N707ZS
13th May 2019, 12:45
Think we need a re-start from 1st May.

highwideandugly
13th May 2019, 13:33
Think we need d some aviation news!

Convair 440
13th May 2019, 16:12
I feel a need to backtrack a little here, one because I've stooped too low and I'm sure face-to-face Beafer is a nice enough guy, and two because the pprune police are gonna be all over this like a rash before much longer. That said, Beafer by dictionary definition is a troll and it seems every thread on here has it's own Beafer. Whilst there has been some minor rallying around him on this occasion, the history of the thread speaks for itself, 95% was obviously a estimation but let's knock 10% off of that so there can be no mistake. I think even if myself and others receive a ban it doesn't matter so long as Beafers arguments continue to have no foundation.

Every ones opinion counts weather it be Beafers N707ZS Robert Ryan`s Convair 440s or any one else who posts on this thread you don`t have to like it
it would would be a pretty boring thread if we all had the same opinion there is no needed for all the trolling on here
we all want the Airport to improve any way it can be achieved

P330
13th May 2019, 19:19
Well here is some. Apparently, we will see an A340 over the big weekend. Plus corporates!

Convair 440
13th May 2019, 20:39
A few small things are slowly getting done around the airfield which haven't been done for years like groundwork. Hopefully to encourage new companies. Station is probably the last thing on anyone's mind.
Railway Station
Was there plans about a year ago to remove the foot bridge and the east bound platform

N707ZS
13th May 2019, 22:09
Bridge was declared dangerous just before the air show and it was mentioned somewhere that one platform was to go.

P330
14th May 2019, 05:05
At the airport for an early out. A couple of largely irrelevant observations....

Aircraft are parking side on and its not windy. Anyone know why?

My beloved toothpaste was confiscated at security. The same brand and size that I have travelled with around the world for years. Different rules in Teesside this morning. A coincidence that immediately after security, there is a new stand selling toiletries?

First time through in a couple of months - looks good. Looking forward to an increase in traffic soon!

N707ZS
14th May 2019, 09:32
Side on parking has been in operation for a few months now, no idea why.

SWBKCB
14th May 2019, 10:12
Does side parking mean push-back isn't needed?

Robert-Ryan
14th May 2019, 10:27
The Embraer tow-bar has been u/s for months, I guess KLM don't deem it worth fixing

P330
14th May 2019, 14:06
The Embraer tow-bar has been u/s for months, I guess KLM don't deem it worth fixing

Interesting. Certainly no push backs needed this morning but the Eastern was also side parked so this can’t be entirely down to the Embraer bar.

Here is a question. With an A340 load of people due to come in/out in a couple of weeks, will those passengers go through the terminal like everyone else and have to pay the facility fee or are special charters like that exempt?

N707ZS
14th May 2019, 14:24
Stobart Jet Centre will probably handle the flight with vehicles escorted to and from the aircraft. Facility fee is probably nothing compared to what they will pay to bring in a VIP A340. The predicted 9H-BIG has a much reduced capacity.

Gunfighter52
16th May 2019, 11:05
It has been anounced today that Balkan Holidays will be returning for the 2020 season as well.

Convair 440
18th May 2019, 08:54

Update
Chain and sign now moved to bottom of footbridge west bound platform still accessible for passengers

highwideandugly
22nd May 2019, 09:34
More terrible industrial news for Teesside today with British Steel.

lets hope the mayor has some money left in the coffers after spending x millions on the airport to help the area?

lfc84
22nd May 2019, 09:56
how did they vote in the referendum ?

Convair 440
22nd May 2019, 16:17
how did they vote in the referendum ?

Whats that got to do with anything

highwideandugly
22nd May 2019, 17:52
Sorry..is that the mayors vote or Brexit?

Fact is...the new incumbents had a large pot of money gifted! by the government.

i have always said...the infrastructure,industry,transport links..rail and road..were of more value than 150 happy people every week flying off to Bulgaria.

A golden nest egg of government money would have been better spent on the whole region rather than a political dream?

SWBKCB
22nd May 2019, 18:14
The government money is being spent on the whole region - that was one of the complaints by the local councils, there wasn't a seperate vote on the airport, it was included in the whole budget (£700m?) for the TVCA, so it was all or nothing

Robert-Ryan
22nd May 2019, 19:02
There's a bigger picture, a functional airport will have a positive ripple effect throughout the rest of the TVCA

highwideandugly
22nd May 2019, 19:12
Yep..but still so sad..these are people’s futures,lives and families..and ironically the very same people who would fly to Bulgaria et al for holidays..if of course they could afford it.

FQTLSteve
23rd May 2019, 09:50
Rather a lot as the company said that customers in the EU 27 were no longer placing orders with them because of Brexit...tariffs regulations, delivery issues etc. etc.So be careful what you wish for comes to mind.

Beafer
25th May 2019, 17:58
Well done to Ben and Stobart. Good news. :ok:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17664660.first-holiday-flights-in-five-years-take-off-from-durham-tees-valley-airport-this-morning/

SWBKCB
25th May 2019, 18:09
Beefer - you're such a wind-up merchant. You know this contract was sorted by Peel, and has nowt to do with the Mayor or Stobart (other than providing a photo op!).

highwideandugly
25th May 2019, 19:27
Out of interest and I wasn’t there..are the departing passengers on the first..and subsequent Balkan flights paying the departure tax..or has it now been scrapped?
look forward to the next imminent announcement...

SWBKCB
25th May 2019, 19:42
Departure tax is still in place - think the Mayor said it would be around for a while (till the airport went into profit?)

N707ZS
26th May 2019, 06:47
Lack of push back tugs was causing a bit of congestion on Saturday. The A 340, which later flew direct to San Francisco filled stands 1 and 2, previous one parked nose in, Jetstream 41 not as big a problem was on 5 so when you try to fit an A 320, KLM 175 a Challenger and a Global things got a bit tight. Don't know if its lack of equipment, staff or both.

Expressflight
26th May 2019, 07:05
Talking of large aircraft I wonder if anyone remembers a Martinair DC-10 that flew a cigarette charter to RTM way back around 1980? I remember my firm chartering that aircraft and seem to remember it was the first visit of the type into MME.

N707ZS
26th May 2019, 08:41
The only other one around that time would have been a Laker Airways one I have seen large photos of them in the airport. The later Dock strike produced the Merchantman and CL 44 shuttle every space rammed with a box of fags. Gulf Wars and Balkan war provided many wide body aircraft with weekly 747, DC10 or Airbus. And an Antonov 124 with some urgent tank spares.
Most planes you can think of have been in so the airport can handle them, hopefully the management team will be good enough to go and get them without being hindered from outside interference. We have one of the largest army camps in Europe just down the road.

DC3 Dave
27th May 2019, 21:02
Talking of large aircraft I wonder if anyone remembers a Martinair DC-10 that flew a cigarette charter to RTM way back around 1980? I remember my firm chartering that aircraft and seem to remember it was the first visit of the type into MME.

Were those cigarettes Rothmans by chance, Expressflight?

N707ZS
27th May 2019, 21:26
Yes they were, both factories now gone.

Expressflight
28th May 2019, 07:43
Were those cigarettes Rothmans by chance, Expressflight?

Indeed they were. I think perhaps it was a lorry drivers' strike, but could have been a dock strike, and we organised an 'airlift' of around 60 tonnes a day if I recall correctly. It was all organised at very short notice and I sent a new employee up there in one of our aircraft to run the operation. Considering he had been with us only about a week he did remarkably well. We flew a similar operation out of SEN as Rothmans/Carreras had factories in Darlington and Basildon at that time.

shamrock7seal
28th May 2019, 08:33
Given the flurry of activity in and out of LHR by Flybe, could they be candidate to resurrect the London link? I could imagine a Teesside London link being stronger than London Newquay surely.

tigertanaka
28th May 2019, 09:54
Given the flurry of activity in and out of LHR by Flybe, could they be candidate to resurrect the London link? I could imagine a Teesside London link being stronger than London Newquay surely.

I would personally love that and agree that the local demand would be better but there are a few other things at play here:

Newquay-London is subsidised by the government to the tune of £5 per passenger each way.
Newquay is over 5 hours on the train to London, Darlington>Kings Cross is less than half that
Teesside is already linked to a hub airport, FlyBe have no competition at Newquay (apart from Aer Lingus to Dublin for N. America)
There will ge a good deal of outbound tourist traffic from London>Newquay, more than would be coming to Teesside
Unless FlyBe have any spare slots at Heathrow, they would need to find £30m for a slot pair

tigertanaka
31st May 2019, 09:39
March CAA stats:
Terminal passengers: 11,106 - down 7% v prior year
Aberdeen: 1,555 - down 37%
Amsterdam: 9,554 - up 6%

Amsterdam shows year-on-year growth for the 18th month in succession and (at 112,985 passengers in the past year) is doing better than any time since 2008 . Aberdeen down again due to the extra Loganair flights last year and still a bit down on March 2017.

Rolling 12 month passengers: 138,480

EGPO
31st May 2019, 15:08
March CAA stats:
Terminal passengers: 11,106 - down 7% v prior year
Aberdeen: 1,555 - down 37%
Amsterdam: 9,554 - up 6%

Amsterdam shows year-on-year growth for the 18th month in succession and (at 112,985 passengers in the past year) is doing better than any time since 2008 . Aberdeen down again due to the extra Loganair flights last year and still a bit down on March 2017.

Rolling 12 month passengers: 138,480

Do KLM operate routes to ' Sun ' destinations, I just wondered as seeing how at Teeside they seem to do well, would they be a possible provider , for example to Palma and Alicante.
(I'm not up on the various facts about airlines or the industry, but I have a keen interest, plus having been bombarded with emails from Ben the Mayor I've been keeping an eye on this thread ).

Or would TUI come back?, Can anyone remember what their loads were like on the bucket and spade routes?.

I.did also read the comment above about rail, but I think a Heathrow link , is more about for example a family with young kids, not taking the car , but struggling from kings cross either to Paddington to catch the Heathrow express, or the Tube , and various changes on that, with heavy luggage. Not really an attractive idea.
Wheras with a direct LHR link and a tie up with another carrier perhaps , then would that be viable ?.

Also Flybe themselves showed that map with their Aim, DTV and DSA and HUY they all on there , as future links to LHR.

inOban
31st May 2019, 15:13
I would have thought there must be very few families with kids and luggage who would be using fullfare airlines from LHR.

EGPO
31st May 2019, 17:29
I would have thought there must be very few families with kids and luggage who would be using fullfare airlines from LHR.

Fair point, but the point I was making that the above argument about the train is all well and good , but pretty sure , given it was a good seller with what was it British Midland? .
That to have a direct shuttle link to LHR, is not only good for the region , but we cannot be certain if prices would increase , Post Brexit on KLM .
But the idea back on point , to get on a plane in Teeside or Doncaster , ABZ etc etc , and simply move to another part of the terminal without carting luggage on the underground, which isn't exactly a quick journey out to Heathrow. So in answer to the post above the only good rail connection is that which GWR are taking over .
But it's still not as convenient as landing directly at the Airport, from.which your onward journey leaves .
Flybe clearly think so, why else would they release the map and their onward plan to serve , DTV, DSA, HUY and I think LDY the others I cannot recall.

I do feel sorry for folk who had a decent airport, and slowly watched it being ruined by those running it .
Here's hoping all that public money is worth the investment.

airforced
31st May 2019, 17:59
MME - LHR - MME

Dream on folks

Jamesair
31st May 2019, 19:47
Remember that map was published before the problems and the subsequent takeover so is probably no longer valid.

tigertanaka
31st May 2019, 21:52
No way Heathrow is coming back unless there is a 3rd runway. Even then, there has to be enough demand from a combination of direct traffic to/from London (so against the train) and connecting traffic (against KLM to AMS).

For connecting traffic, I think the problem for FlyBe/Connect is that Virgin does not have anything like the route network out of LHR to feed that BA does. FlyBe do not seem to have made much a success of offering codeshares to mainline carriers and even if Virgin/Connect was to join SkyTeam, you couldn't really fly that many extra places via LHR that you couldn't via AMS today.

SWBKCB
31st May 2019, 22:10
Domestic connectivity is being put forward as a major benefit of the third runway at LHR - there is a proposal to ring-fence slots for additional domestic services, I think with preference for unserved routes.

jensdad
31st May 2019, 22:15
Do KLM operate routes to ' Sun ' destinations, I just wondered as seeing how at Teeside they seem to do well, would they be a possible provider , for example to Palma and Alicante.

They operate to Malaga etc from Amsterdam. As far as I know they don't do anything from outside the Netherlands. Their 'low-cost' arm, Transavia, do more traditional 'holiday flights' from Amsterdam, Rotterdam and a few other places in the Netherlands. But likewise, nothing from other countries.

Robert-Ryan
31st May 2019, 22:29
I do feel sorry for folk who had a decent airport, and slowly watched it being ruined by those running it .
Here's hoping all that public money is worth the investment.
I do feel sorry for folk who had a decent airport, and slowly watched it being ruined by leisure airlines starting to want millions of pounds for services, before going bust anyway or consolidating to the bigger bases, but hey ho.

That said, interesting the Flybe booking engine is showing Guernsey, Paris and Southampton from MME, no dates available though so probably nothing?

mmeman
31st May 2019, 23:01
You can book via KLM, flights to Alicante, Malaga, Palma, Ibiza etc with the Transavia or Air Europa flights having a KLM codeshare - friends fly to Alicante this way about 3 times a year.

The routes to Southampton and Guernsey etc are connecting flights via Jersey or Aberdeen in some cases!

P330
1st Jun 2019, 09:45
You can book via KLM, flights to Alicante, Malaga, Palma, Ibiza etc with the Transavia or Air Europa flights having a KLM codeshare - friends fly to Alicante this way about 3 times a year.

The routes to Southampton and Guernsey etc are connecting flights via Jersey or Aberdeen in some cases!

It is an under marketed option. Let’s take a family of 5 wanting to go to Salou next May. Flights from Newcastle with Jet2 to Reus cost around £2k during half term. Fly from Teesside to Barcelona with KLM and it costs around £800. More expensive taxi options from Barcelona partly offset by lower taxi options in the UK. But who actually does this? I do and save a lot in doing so but I suspect few people wanting a flight only deal to the sun would even think about it.

iInterested in those Flybe rumours - Paris would be a good one!

SWBKCB
1st Jun 2019, 11:10
Suppose it's cost vs time and convenience.

Second Balkan flight has gone tech this morning.

P330
2nd Jun 2019, 09:04
Yesterday’s Bourgas had a 12 hour tech delay. Believe a replacement came in. A 12 hour delay would be horrendous in any airport, but how did the passengers cope at Teesside? What did they do? How did the staff manage? Hope there was
enough beer in the taps....

SWBKCB
2nd Jun 2019, 09:20
I think the other Balkan a/c dropped off an engineer and parts rather than being a replacement.

Was the Mayor on hand?

N707ZS
2nd Jun 2019, 09:35
Second one brought in new crew via LBA. First one was ready to go when they arrived. Don't know how well the LBA pax took it. "By the way were just dropping this group off at DTVA on the way to Borgas".

Mayor was probably at the Take That concert.

highwideandugly
2nd Jun 2019, 12:15
Welcome to the promised land of holiday flights from your local airport!

Hope the airport had the decency to refund the passenger departure tax?

sixchannel
2nd Jun 2019, 12:19
Second one brought in new crew via LBA. First one was ready to go when they arrived.

So who fixed it?

Robert-Ryan
2nd Jun 2019, 12:23
Welcome to the promised land of holiday flights from your local airport!

Hope the airport had the decency to refund the passenger departure tax?
Not the airports fault, they didn't ask it to break down

The second one brought in engineers not crew

P330
2nd Jun 2019, 13:28
Robert,

Any idea how the passengers were managed for 12 hours? All stayed in the departure lounge with all facilities remaining open? Airline providing food and drinks vouchers? Staff on overtime?

I know this is common elsewhere but just wondering how the logistics work when there are barely no other flights planned and staff were due home?

Robert-Ryan
2nd Jun 2019, 14:24
Express Cafe remained open, vouchers were provided and at least one Tesco run was made to restock!!

sixchannel
2nd Jun 2019, 17:01
Express Cafe remained open, vouchers were provided and at least one Tesco run was made to restock!!
Good for them , and on a weekend too.

SWBKCB
8th Jun 2019, 07:50
Interesting comment from the Mayor here - don't think I've seen this stated before? Fair play in supporting local businesses, but I thought the business case for using taxpayers money to take the airport into public ownership was to improve the region connections with the world so as to support business, not make it easier for locals to export money out of the region?

“As part of our 10 Year Rescue Plan, our priority to secure new flights to holiday destinations, but, in the meantime, we’re also working flat-out to ensure local companies come first for new contracts.

Durham Tees Valley Airport commits to nearby firms over UK companies (https://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/news/17683858.durham-tees-valley-airport-commits-to-nearby-firms-over-uk-companies/)

N707ZS
8th Jun 2019, 09:56
Think its the case of some news is better than no news. The current situation is that loads of services were run from Doncaster, just the other day we had a discussion who is on the other end of the carpark barrier intercom and where are they. This is just an example of things that need to be brought back in house along with the businesses to run the services which the media is reporting on.

No idea when we are going to here some development news that we really want to here.

SWBKCB
8th Jun 2019, 10:52
I'm more interested in the comment about the priority being to secure new holiday flights - good use of taxpayers money?

N707ZS
8th Jun 2019, 11:41
Think we all are.

sixchannel
8th Jun 2019, 11:58
I'm more interested in the comment about the priority being to secure new holiday flights - good use of taxpayers money?
I guess holiday flights = volume and thats what the airport needs in the absence of a similar increase scheduled flights, more destinations and an airline /s interested in providing them.
Personally I'd like to see Jet2 there, taking some flights away from NCL and LBA.
Pipedream?

SWBKCB
8th Jun 2019, 12:32
The Mayors campaign to buy the airport was based on the need to connect local businesses to the world, with holiday flights being seen as a bonus. This is the first time I've seen holiday flights mentioned as a priority - a change of emphasis?

sixchannel
8th Jun 2019, 12:46
The Mayors campaign to buy the airport was based on the need to connect local businesses to the world, with holiday flights being seen as a bonus. This is the first time I've seen holiday flights mentioned as a priority - a change of emphasis?
Who's "need" I wonder?. The Airports, I guess. Has anyone heard any "local businesses" yelling out for more flights, due to their "need"?
Denigrate "bucket & spade" all you like, but it puts people IN the airport in the first place. Bums on seats, in the Cafe, Bar etc, such as they are.

SWBKCB
8th Jun 2019, 14:23
Who's "need" I wonder?. The Airports, I guess. Has anyone heard any "local businesses" yelling out for more flights, due to their "need"?

There's been plenty wheeled out by the Mayor.

40 business leaders back plan to buy airport (https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/40-business-leaders-back-plan-15553238)

As part of his election campaign the Mayor said that the airport had to be brought back into public ownership as there was a need to promote local industry and that foreign investors weren't interested if you couldn't fly there - holiday flights were very much seen as a secondary benefit.

Now they're being described as a priority. Nothing against Bucket and spade flights, but they're hardly boosting the local economy - the story seems to be changing.

highwideandugly
8th Jun 2019, 16:46
I refer..as always the honourable gentlemen to my previous posts.

Holiday flights will not benefit the area..they are well covered?

The hub airports are also well covered....all the massive financial backing for the area would have been better spent on the general economy..infrastructure,transport and social needs.

oh sorry..let’s get a couple of hundred people off to Alicante and Bulgaria..wow..what a result??

No sorry..what a waste of a great chance to get the area back on its feet..

tigertanaka
19th Jun 2019, 12:38
April CAA stats:
Terminal passengers: 12,603 - up 7% v prior year
Aberdeen: 1,638 - down 19%
Amsterdam: 10,804 - up 11%

Amsterdam shows year-on-year growth for the 19th month in succession and (at 114,092 passengers in the past year) is doing better than any time since 2008 . Aberdeen still down (due to the extra Loganair flights last year) but volumes have picked up and April was actually up on the same month in 2017.

Rolling 12 month passengers: 139,272

highwideandugly
19th Jun 2019, 17:24
Airport figures...Good slow progress ? Still only the two schedules from the airport though..been that way for...how many years?

see Lufthansa just announced Munich from Newcastle...makes you wonder..is DTV. In the market for such flights? If not why not?
rumours of a couple more from Newcastle...anything rumoured from the mayor s office from DTV.?

SWBKCB
19th Jun 2019, 18:16
Quote from the Mayor after the launch of Heathrows Masterplan Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen said: "Heathrow Airport is operating at 99.9 per cent capacity with zero landing slots available for domestic routes, so it is highly unlikely we’ll get a flight there anytime soon. We are, however, working flat out with Stobart to secure a flight into another London airport where there is capacity."

highwideandugly
19th Jun 2019, 18:52
So Stansted,Southend or Gatwick?

not sure what attraction , if any of those ,will have for the Teesside public.

no real connections..so point to point only?
with the improved!!! Trains from the area to London.....it’s Amsterdam,Aberdeen and Alicante then?

tigertanaka
19th Jun 2019, 19:59
So Stansted,Southend or Gatwick?

not sure what attraction , if any of those ,will have for the Teesside public.

no real connections..so point to point only?
with the improved!!! Trains from the area to London.....it’s Amsterdam,Aberdeen and Alicante then?

I think the only way a non LHR London link would work is if it in some way includes an element of connecting traffic as it would be difficult to see how a point to point service will beat the train connection from Darlington. For this reason I can't see how SEN, STN and LTN would stack up.

LGW might be interesting and would open a lot of destinations that are not served directly from the North East & Yorkshire. BA & Virgin fly a lot of long haul leisure out of LGW plus Easyjet & Norwegian both have extensive LGW networks. LGW seem keen on developing connecting traffic with the launch of GatwickConnects, a service that insures against missed connections and the airport is also currently building a proper domestic connections area which will avoid both using bus gates and the need for a second security scan. However LGW is pretty slot constrained which means flying 80-100 seater aircraft into the airport does not appear to stack up financially.

Maybe FlyBe/Virgin Connect could be a possibility? They have the LGW slots and are clearly changing their business model to provide feed for LGW and MAN.

globetrotter79
19th Jun 2019, 20:49
The only realistic London area airport with spare capacity right now has to be Southend. LCY will be too expensive, LTN and STN aren’t exactly reknown for encouraging regional aircraft ops, plus are pretty much full at peak times.

tigertanaka
2nd Jul 2019, 08:08
May CAA stats:
Terminal passengers: 13,688 - up 13% v prior year

Aberdeen: 1,683 - down 18%
Amsterdam: 11,026 - up 20%
Jersey: 232 - up 7%
Lourdes: 747 - up 101%

Amsterdam shows year-on-year growth for the 20th month in succession and this was the best May on the route since 2004! Aberdeen still down but volumes have picked up recently and May was well up on the same month in 2017. Lourdes numbers are inflated as the return flights took place in June last year.

Rolling 12 month passengers: 140,839

tigertanaka
2nd Jul 2019, 13:23
looks like we might need a new thread title soon....

"Durham Tees Valley Airport WILL get new name as long-running wrangle ends"
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/durham-tees-valley-airport-new-16518521 (https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/durham-tees-valley-airport-new-16518521?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar)

Glad this is resolved but it sounds like Chris Joseph did not have a legal leg to stand upon.

Cautious Optimist
2nd Jul 2019, 14:16
With all the conflict of opinions on here, it's nice to have something we can all celebrate! Welcome back Teesside International!

No-More-Bullschit
3rd Jul 2019, 17:25
Currency exchange and jewellery shop to open in the terminal.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/travel-cash-jewels-shop-open-16517016?fbclid=IwAR25zlNChDhDi-nWbg_UZW-4j_ITRoJlmP38pwroQIwHQmsACHIEVr3_8Bo

sixchannel
3rd Jul 2019, 17:42
Currency exchange and jewellery shop to open in the terminal.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/travel-cash-jewels-shop-open-16517016?fbclid=IwAR25zlNChDhDi-nWbg_UZW-4j_ITRoJlmP38pwroQIwHQmsACHIEVr3_8Bo
A wonderful leap of faith.
Good luck.

Robert-Ryan
9th Jul 2019, 16:23
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-48926204?fbclid=IwAR3InwbD1_LJLzM83BSsYPvQE_Oe2pqewbLS58R6pJ _IeVsPTaT8J-qAwUk

sixchannel
9th Jul 2019, 16:33
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-48926204?fbclid=IwAR3InwbD1_LJLzM83BSsYPvQE_Oe2pqewbLS58R6pJ _IeVsPTaT8J-qAwUk
Unsurprisingly passenger numbers don't you think as there is only one train service a WEEK ( outbound 11.00ish, inbound 12.00ish) on a SUNDAY. For goodness sake, what did tthey expect?
If the hoped for Airport expansion plans happen, and shock horror, there are even some bucket and spade flights, it might make sense for current non-stopping local trains to stop there IF a shuttle bus were available.

N707ZS
9th Jul 2019, 18:00
Is it viable to promote a train and bus service which only takes revenue away from your car park.

TSR2
9th Jul 2019, 18:23
I note that passenger numbers increased in 2018, halting an 11 year decline. At 142,000 it is still only one third of the passengers through Blackpool when they shut-up shop.

sixchannel
9th Jul 2019, 18:37
Is it viable to promote a train and bus service which only takes revenue away from your car park.
Wouldnt that be true then for the other 'International' airports with direct rail connections, bus services and (usually full) car parks?

sixchannel
9th Jul 2019, 18:45
I note that passenger numbers increased in 2018, halting an 11 year decline. At 142,000 it is still only one third of the passengers through Blackpool when they shut-up shop.
Wasnt the issue that Blackpool runway at 1869 mtrs was OK for Jet2's 737-300s but unable to take the coming -800s etc so by 2014 had no B&S flights?

pug
9th Jul 2019, 18:54
Wasnt the issue that Blackpool runway at 1869 mtrs was OK for Jet2's 737-300s but unable to take the coming -800s etc so by 2014 had no B&S flights?

No, Jet2 wanted to stay. The problem with BLK was its owner who had a history of building things like houses and industrial estates. Not so different from a certain other airport operator which owned MME until recently.

tigertanaka
9th Jul 2019, 18:59

I think this is an excellent point. There is no money to be made from planes landing in the short term so the cash will have to come from parking, taxis and retail, especially as the £6 fee will be going.

If you live in Darlington, taxis are £10 to the airport and if you live further afield, a taxi to MME will still be cheaper than getting one to NCL. A shuttle bus service to Stockton/Middlesbrough aligned with leisure flight departures & arrivals at £5 per person would possibly be interesting but the airport needs to retain the income on such a service.

In 2006, when the airport was at it's peak in terms of passenger numbers, only 85 people used the railway station in the whole year! Let's worry about the station when we get back to 1m pax annually.

jetstar.8
9th Jul 2019, 19:32

There was a electric shuttle bus which ran between the station and terminal I think it was in the 70s

SWBKCB
9th Jul 2019, 20:05
The problem with BLK was its owner who had a history of building things like houses and industrial estates.

...and couldn't make money on what Jet2 was willing to pay.

The problem with small airports like MME, BLK etc is how to attract that critical mass of pax that will support shops, public transport etc before you start making money from them.

N707ZS
9th Jul 2019, 21:29
The electric shuttle bus used to run before the days of low cost it was replaced by a service bus for a short while. Then the green fence with the locked gates appeared to make it difficult to park anywhere other than the official carpark. A subsidised bus did run between Darlington Station and the airport for a period, no idea who paid but bet it wasn't Peel.

There is a service bus again to Darlington, it doesn't reach the terminal and again the times are poor, last bus something like 4.30pm.

sixchannel
10th Jul 2019, 07:15
The electric shuttle bus used to run before the days of low cost it was replaced by a service bus for a short while. Then the green fence with the locked gates appeared to make it difficult to park anywhere other than the official carpark. A subsidised bus did run between Darlington Station and the airport for a period, no idea who paid but bet it wasn't Peel.

There is a service bus again to Darlington, it doesn't reach the terminal and again the times are poor, last bus something like 4.30pm.
Some joined up thinking required?

highwideandugly
10th Jul 2019, 09:51
Height of the summer season almost and only 3 scheduled departures today..think it’s more than trains ,shuttles and buses that are needed?

Amazing, Newly opened Carlisle has the same amount of schedules but one more destination!

Is it just me or were we expecting a little more dynamic news than a jewellery shop opening in the terminal?

Robert-Ryan
10th Jul 2019, 10:24
That's the trouble people expect an overnight fix, both the Mayor and Stobart said it would take time. At the end of the day the only potential airline in the UK is Virgin Connect when they start up later in the year, even then they'll probably get smaller before they get bigger due to the poor health of Flybe

sixchannel
10th Jul 2019, 11:24
Height of the summer season almost and only 3 scheduled departures today..think it’s more than trains ,shuttles and buses that are needed?

Amazing, Newly opened Carlisle has the same amount of schedules but one more destination!

Is it just me or were we expecting a little more dynamic news than a jewellery shop opening in the terminal?

"Baby steps" ?

SWBKCB
10th Jul 2019, 11:32
Yes, but the steps need to be in the right direction. For example, is the fate of the train station the key issue facing the airport or an unnecessary (albeit publicity generating) diversion of resource?

sixchannel
10th Jul 2019, 11:47
Yes, but the steps need to be in the right direction. For example, is the fate of the train station the key issue facing the airport or an unnecessary (albeit publicity generating) diversion of resource?
An unnecessary diversion courtesy of the Meeja.
EMA and LTN (just to quote 2 off the top) do quite nicely with railway stations that are not on the premises. But I would suspect that travellers to most airports do not go by rail. Too limited a service - EMAs shuttle to Parkway for instance only operates 9-5, no use at all for stupid o'clock Arrivals.

No-More-Bullschit
10th Jul 2019, 14:15
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-48937493

"We are looking at options on how to upgrade the current station - including shuttles and horizontal escalators - to link it more effectively with the terminal."
He can't be serious? I'd pay enough to cover the cost just to see that in action!

SWBKCB
10th Jul 2019, 14:57
He needs to have word with Manchester - they've got some he could have cheap...

N707ZS
10th Jul 2019, 17:13
We were hoping for Ramsdens Fish and Chips.

sixchannel
11th Jul 2019, 08:05
He needs to have word with Manchester - they've got some he could have cheap...
Yeah, but they're not working either. :-)

Scottie Dog
11th Jul 2019, 08:08
Yeah, but they're not working either. :-)

That's a bit unfair - they do work (sometimes) 😥

sixchannel
11th Jul 2019, 08:10
We were hoping for Ramsdens Fish and Chips.
Maybe if TIA manages to attract a loco or B&S flights, it , or summat similar, might be a Do'er.
BTW - as one who used the now-closed Hotel a lot in the 80s when traipsing back and forth to the Continong, are there 'plans' to do something with it?

N707ZS
11th Jul 2019, 10:52
There has been talk about re-opening some sort of hotel.

Robert-Ryan
14th Jul 2019, 01:10
Noticed earlier the process of removing all the various signage and branding has begun, including the entrance sign at the roundabout and the arrivals and departures signs above the terminal doors

oldart
14th Jul 2019, 08:58
Noticed earlier the process of removing all the various signage and branding has begun, including the entrance sign at the roundabout and the arrivals and departures signs above the terminal doors
I presume ATC will revert back to Teesside at some time or does that take longer?

sixchannel
14th Jul 2019, 09:01
And - when does the Header change to "Teesside International".
Or does a new thread have to be started?

SWBKCB
14th Jul 2019, 09:18
When will the road signs change?! :ok:

N707ZS
14th Jul 2019, 10:28
When will the road signs change?! :ok:

Did they ever change to DTVA.

sixchannel
14th Jul 2019, 10:32
Did they ever change to DTVA.
Sure, according to Gooley Earth. Coming off the A67 to the airport, the roadsigns say 'Durham Tees Valley Airport"
However, on the A66 it says "Teesside Airport".

SWBKCB
14th Jul 2019, 11:12
I think there was a long running row where the signs on roads controlled by the Highways Agency weren't changed as they wanted Peel to pay.

Cautious Optimist
14th Jul 2019, 12:12
Ironic that they'll now have to go to the expense they tried to avoid!

sixchannel
15th Jul 2019, 13:10
Just been looking on Gooley Earth.
Everyone but me probably knows what is it - but - There is an aircraft on far side of TIA that 'looks' like a BA 1-11. I'm sure the "British" is still visible.
Does it still exist and any details please.
Just nosey.

SWBKCB
15th Jul 2019, 13:14
MME resident aircraft (http://www.dtvmovements.co.uk/Info/Residents.htm)

Scroll to the bottom of the page - South side, SERCO

sixchannel
15th Jul 2019, 13:25
MME resident aircraft (http://www.dtvmovements.co.uk/Info/Residents.htm)

Scroll to the bottom of the page - South side, SERCO
Trident G-AWZS.
Many thanks.
Back in the day, made many a flight on them when they did the MAN-LHR Shuttle.

highwideandugly
16th Jul 2019, 06:37
Just on the telly,new route to be announced today!

oldart
16th Jul 2019, 08:42
Two calibrator a/c from Shoreham to calibrate the new radar?
Talk about taking coals to Newcastle!

N707ZS
16th Jul 2019, 09:36
Calibration all down to contracts. Thales generally do military work and Flight calibration services do civil work. Looks like the based DA-42 is going to join in later though.

SWBKCB
16th Jul 2019, 09:44
Alba Star to Palma starting 19/07/2020 - 10 flights. Tour operator is Jetsgoholidays - although a UK firm, seem to be bonded in Spain? Also can't spell Teesside!

mmeteesside
16th Jul 2019, 11:21
Well it's a start I guess, just hope it proves as popular as Bourgas has this summer. There is a strong public feeling across the area that we all need to chip in and help the airport grow so I am sure it will be. Have to admit I'd never heard of Jetsgo before though! To be operated by Albastar with 737-800.
Interesting comments by Ben suggesting they're in talks with other operators for London, Dublin and a low cost operator. I wouldn't read too much into them as I am sure they're always talking but sure hope some more destinations are possible!

sixchannel
16th Jul 2019, 12:11
As much as MME, TIA or DTVA (or any other acronym ya fancy :p) would like far more scheduled airline services than at present, its always been my view that its the mass public with their oft denigrated bucket and spade flights that puts cars in car parks, money in tills at Duty Free, Cafes, Bars any shoppertunities that open and bums on seats to put some profit into a business and create an energy circle that will help it grow.
phew, that was a long sentence!

tigertanaka
19th Aug 2019, 11:27
Wrong forum - please delete this post

Asturias56
20th Aug 2019, 07:13
I don't see the problem with the post you're complaining about - it's true and it affects small airports much more than big ones

PS can we all post on one forum going forward - I suggest the Teeside International one is now the "active" forum