PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Australia recruitment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Low Pass
7th Dec 2022, 04:54
Yes I think the closer we get to 2026 (recall expiry) the further up the list the recalls we go/happen. I and many are in the States having a burn on a wide body with Atlas and the like, full intentions on returning to VA but not quite yet. Having too much fun getting this out of our systems.

Colonel_Klink
7th Dec 2022, 05:52
Anyone in the know re how many redundant 73 drivers there are still out there to be called up. I assume VA will be turning to their EOI external list in the new year

There would still have to be over 500 pilots left on the list who are inactive. How many of those have retired / left the industry / have no intention of coming back to VA - well your guess is as good as any.

Good on those that are off doing the Atlas thing who are hedging their bets with a position to return - you’d just have to be careful not to leave your run too late if you were planning on coming back. This level of recruitment is unprecedented and there has to be a time approaching soon enough where you think the doors will close and recruitment will stop or at least slow significantly.

mates rates
8th Dec 2022, 01:02
With VA being set up for sale and a possible economic recession pending as interest rates rise its a risk for those on the inactive list delaying their return.

kjvmw
15th Jan 2023, 03:45
Has anyone been through the interview process recently and made it onto the hold file? What timeline are the giving for a possible start date?

Swept-Wing
16th Jan 2023, 00:14
Has anyone been through the interview process recently and made it onto the hold file? What timeline are the giving for a possible start date?

I was told mid 2023 by recruitment.

Theflyingsosijman
16th Jan 2023, 02:04

I've heard people say mid-2023 at the earliest. But, also heard people more recently say towards the end of 2023. Either way, there are still a few handfuls of inactive that haven't had the opportunity to come back yet. A solid 2 or 3 pages on the list, it seems. How many have bids in? How many above those pages have put bids in recently? Recruitment of inactive has been slow and quiet since November. You'd assume the time of year contributes to that.

"Somewhere" in the second half of 2023 is probably as accurate as anyone can be at the moment.

big buddah
16th Jan 2023, 03:06
I wonder if there’s a reason that so many are in no hurry to go back to VA?

Chronic Snoozer
16th Jan 2023, 04:45

Maybe this.
​​​​​​​
https://www.watoday.com.au/business/companies/bain-capital-to-seek-advice-on-virgin-australia-float-20230116-p5ccs2.html

Bumble_Pilot
23rd Jan 2023, 07:03
Finally some good news on recruitment. March/April grounds school are filled and not far off the bottom of the list. Externals aren’t far away!

WannaBeBiggles
23rd Jan 2023, 10:02

Or the ever growing number of active VA pilots, many with double digit years of service, that have left to come to the US...

Jetdream
24th Jan 2023, 00:35
Anyone know how many are on the external hold file (not inactive list)? Thanks

davidclarke
24th Jan 2023, 02:06
Have also heard that VA are paying for flights and accommodation in BNE for external applicants to interview. About time!

brokenagain
13th Feb 2023, 04:26
So 200 more pilots needed by the end of this year. A similar number over at Jetstar. Plus QF and all its subsidiaries. Smaller operators who might already be feeling the pinch with crewing problems might find things are about to get even harder.

Servo
13th Feb 2023, 04:31
So 200 more pilots needed by the end of this year. A similar number over at Jetstar. Small operators who might already be feeling the pinch with crewing problems might find things are about to get even harder.
90 captains and 200 first officers at VA needed.

LostWanderer
13th Feb 2023, 06:36
So 200 more pilots needed by the end of this year. A similar number over at Jetstar. Plus QF and all its subsidiaries. Smaller operators who might already be feeling the pinch with crewing problems might find things are about to get even harder.

I think you’ll find a bunch of the now jet rated and experienced Aussies who left for a US stint (and aren’t able to move on to a major there for immigration reasons) may come back and fill a number of slots at JQ/VA/QF. Probably not enough to fill the holes completely but should make a nice dent.

Servo
13th Feb 2023, 07:00
I think you’ll find a bunch of the now jet rated and experienced Aussies who left for a US stint (and aren’t able to move on to a major there for immigration reasons) may come back and fill a number of slots at JQ/VA/QF. Probably not enough to fill the holes completely but should make a nice dent.

Come back to what? 20% paycut at VA and 14+ years to a command. Most that have gone to USA have not even needed to renew their Visas yet. Oz aviation is far from the be all end all.

SITTINGBULL
13th Feb 2023, 07:26

Now I reckon you be soundin' likes one of them delusional HR desk jockeys... we don't take no kindly to your types round here.

soseg
13th Feb 2023, 08:07
Why would anyone at Rex, QLink subsids NJS 717, Network, Dash8s, Cobham or Alliance Ejets sit around when there’s 200 seats opening up at VA?

If you’re in Q Group you ain’t coming to mainline anytime soon. They’re heavily hiring externals taking up seniority and if you get offered an interview as an internal, and IF you get through onto the hold then expect to be held for potentially a few years as they trickle pilots out just to dangle that carrot in front of you.

Go to VA. Fly a brand new 737 Max. You’ll have also a higher chance of applying to QF as an external if that’s your thing.

Ramboflyer 1
13th Feb 2023, 10:12
Why would anyone at Rex, QLink subsids NJS 717, Network, Dash8s, Cobham or Alliance Ejets sit around when there’s 200 seats opening up at VA?

If you’re in Q Group you ain’t coming to mainline anytime soon. They’re heavily hiring externals taking up seniority and if you get offered an interview as an internal, and IF you get through onto the hold then expect to be held for potentially a few years as they trickle pilots out just to dangle that carrot in front of you.

Go to VA. Fly a brand new 737 Max. You’ll have also a higher chance of applying to QF as an external if that’s your thing.

Sadly this is true . It’s a shame there’s not group seniority at QF , it’s mighty unfair when you can’t shift to mainline .

ChadValient
13th Feb 2023, 10:15
There are still hundreds of pilots that could return to VA, myself included. I was a 12 year VANZ Captain, but my seniority at the moment would only let me return as an FO. I have a command with an Airline in Oceania which I am enjoying. Once my VA seniority moves to the point where I can return as a Captain I will probably go back. I have until 2026 to decide. I know a lot of ex VA guys and girls in a similar position.

TimmyTee
14th Feb 2023, 03:30
There are still hundreds of pilots that could return to VA, myself included. I was a 12 year VANZ Captain, but my seniority at the moment would only let me return as an FO. I have a command with an Airline in Oceania which I am enjoying. Once my VA seniority moves to the point where I can return as a Captain I will probably go back. I have until 2026 to decide. I know a lot of ex VA guys and girls in a similar position.

Given that, if I was hired off the street today, what would the difference be in years before command, depending on if you all come back or not? It sounds like the 14 years quoted above would be pretty optimistic if the majority did return by 2026?

That’s sounding worse than Qantas, where there’s at least WB right hand seats as an option and by all accounts, a considerably larger income for the same roles.
Lifetime NB FO doesn’t have a particularly great ring to it (unless Virgin FOs have an increasing payscale for years of service like QF which takes the sting out of it?)

startno1
15th Feb 2023, 00:01
Have they started interviewing externals again this year?

Goat Whisperer
15th Feb 2023, 01:35
Have they started interviewing externals again this year?
​​​​​​​Yes

HappyBandit
15th Feb 2023, 04:02
Have they started interviewing externals again this year?yep...all last week, this week and next week.

RustyFlyerBoy
15th Feb 2023, 13:34
I'm an expat with 12K TT and 7500 PIC on the A320. Looking to return to Oz. I received an email from Virgin Recruitment (I assume it's a stock email) noting:

"At this stage, due to the large volume of applications, we are processing candidates who are a closer match to our selection criteria. Please do continue to update your application in any changes in hours or experience. As your application becomes more competitive, we will reconsider your application and be in touch."

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to where I may be falling short? Is the fact I don't have 737 time the problem? Any suggestions as to what I could I do to make myself more competitive?

Servo
15th Feb 2023, 20:32
Had heard that the recent command upgrade course 3 just didnt turn up. They have new opportunities outside of VA.

Hothighhungover
15th Feb 2023, 21:15
I'm an expat with 12K TT and 7500 PIC on the A320. Looking to return to Oz. I received an email from Virgin Recruitment (I assume it's a stock email) noting:

"At this stage, due to the large volume of applications, we are processing candidates who are a closer match to our selection criteria. Please do continue to update your application in any changes in hours or experience. As your application becomes more competitive, we will reconsider your application and be in touch."

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to where I may be falling short? Is the fact I don't have 737 time the problem? Any suggestions as to what I could I do to make myself more competitive?

Sounds like you haven’t ticked every box on the application therefore you receive a generic email response. I’m sure if an actual human looked at your application you would have an interview tomorrow. Good luck .

Red69
16th Feb 2023, 01:36
I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would be applying to VA at the moment. It’s the worst airline job in the country. There is no progression, staff are on some of the worst t&c’s, morale is at an all time low and management don’t care about anyone or anything apart from the $$ they make for themselves. The best they can do for pilots is allow them to wear their uniform in the lounge and business class (not that it’s ever available).

People are leaving in droves. The only people who I understand who would apply for it are the young folk who have never flow a jet and think it’s some big exciting company. Really, you’re much better off at network, cobham, alliance or QF. The others can provide some form of career progression (think quick commands) or at least provide stability, good pay and let you live in the base you want. VA can offer none of that, especially if you don’t live in Sydney or Melbourne.

bangbounceboeing
16th Feb 2023, 03:58
Red69 kinda hit the nail on the head right there. Ask around, you’ll be hard pressed to find anybody who actually enjoys working for virgin. Most just take the pay check to cover the bills and provide for the family and nothing more.

startno1
16th Feb 2023, 04:21
I’m not at all disagreeing with you but what airline in Australia do people actually enjoy working for and can claim management are caring with high staff morale? I can’t really think of any.
It’s a sad reflection of the state of the industry and disconnect between management and staff.

puff
16th Feb 2023, 09:20
Red69 have a read of some of the posts on here - hardly seems like Network or Cobham etc are happy camps either. Even despite it being the 'pinnacle', there is a bit of bitching from the guys at QF too.....

Red69
16th Feb 2023, 11:00
I understand that every airline has their issues, however VA is the bottom of the pit imo. If you join now, you are at the bottom of an ever long list where you won’t know where you truely stand until 2026.

At QF, you are remunerated well. At the subsidiaries, there are opportunities for quick commands and career progression. VA provides neither of these options. You’ll be a jet FO not earning much and wondering what your future holds when the airline is floated (and loaded up with debt again). If you want any form of certainty, lifestyle or remuneration that matches or beats market rates, VA isn’t the place for you.

All I know is that resignations are greatly increasing. It will be a struggle to pitch and offload an airline if there are no pilots around to fly their planes.

Icarus2001
17th Feb 2023, 04:01
You’ll be a jet FO not earning much and wondering what your future holds An amazing lack of awareness of salary conditions in Australia.

v1bang
17th Feb 2023, 14:27
What stops someone from jumping ship from VA to Network? Is it always better having a seniority at a major airline vs quick command add network with no QF seniority aka dead end?

airdualbleedfault
18th Feb 2023, 02:14

Mate you should apply to network, pay similar and you might jag a DEC with a nice sign on bonus. I don't know too many people who are happy with the T and Cs at VA and who knows what will happen when they try to float it

Min Speed
22nd Feb 2023, 02:41
Anyone able to provide a rough idea on how many hours per roster ? And what bases are they looking for ? Cheers

hoss
22nd Feb 2023, 17:26
Average 70-80 hours per roster, obviously there are some down near 60 and some well over 90. I think recruitment would be for all bases with ADL PER and SYD being the more junior bases than MEL and BNE. BNE seems to be the most popular base and probably the hardest to get for both FO and CAPT.

All the best👍

kjvmw
23rd Feb 2023, 05:16
If you were to take the first base offered is there a stand down period before being able to bid for your first choice?

HappyBandit
23rd Feb 2023, 05:34
Yep...was told by HR that BNE can expect a few years as a very, very long list of ppl wanting to transfer here.

JeTpLt
23rd Feb 2023, 09:31
If you were to take the first base offered is there a stand down period before being able to bid for your first choice?

You can bid straight away and subject to vacancies you’ll get awarded it when you are next in line for it based on date of joining. We have monthly bid imports for upgrades and base transfers.

kjvmw
23rd Feb 2023, 09:34
Thanks for the info

belongamick
3rd Mar 2023, 08:36
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1080x915/screenshot_20230303_191510_6e17573864dc6fb5df5b7870e4796b7ba b6cfbe4.png

Looks like they've exhausted the inactive list

Neeewman
3rd Mar 2023, 10:32
Very much luck to all applying for FO roles within VA
The pays not what it was and with inflation screaming along probably it’s going to get worse
On the plus it’s practically part time. You work your balls off then you get a **** ton of time off. I’ve actually taken off a lot of weight under the new regime. The system does give you a chance to get fit and be with family and friends. Most of the skippers are very cool guys but unfortunately due to roster optimising it’s harder to form bonds. Plus is cheaper overnights
For those interviewing. Would you allow HR to pick Manchester United players ? Of course not. Virgin did it very well in the old days with the old fireside chat. Don’t take it hard if Jenny Aka from HR DOUBTS YOUR MOTIVATION . Another company will pick you up
best wishes to all

Jack D. Ripper
3rd Mar 2023, 11:33
Don’t take it hard if Jenny Aka from HR DOUBTS YOUR MOTIVATION . Another company will pick you up
best wishes to all

Really? Like HR doesn’t exist anywhere else? QF are obsessed by the psych test, Cathay by the cocktail party etc……..

If you wanna work for crapsville airlines, then great, your wil get picked up. If you want to work for a serious airline, expect a serious process.

lemel
4th Mar 2023, 10:26
10% of the pilots have left in the last year... that should say something to new recruits. I'd think twice before going to Virgin. #dontsayyouwerentwarned

bangbounceboeing
4th Mar 2023, 19:12
Plus a 15 year wait for command. Wait until Bain leaves the building to see what remains of the carcass otherwise could be a dead end job

TimmyTee
4th Mar 2023, 20:40
Plus a 15 year wait for command. Wait until Bain leaves the building to see what remains of the carcass otherwise could be a dead end job
from my buddy over there, they'd take a 15 year wait (if joining today) in a heartbeat. Sounding like it could be significantly more if things were to stay the way they currently are. There was also a suggestion that both the fokkers and 320 drivers will keep commands when moving to the 737, even if they don't hold the seniority.

davidclarke
4th Mar 2023, 20:53
from my buddy over there, they'd take a 15 year wait (if joining today) in a heartbeat. Sounding like it could be significantly more if things were to stay the way they currently are. There was also a suggestion that both the fokkers and 320 drivers will keep commands when moving to the 737, even if they don't hold the seniority.

Of course they would keep their commands!!!
It’s a 1 for 1 fleet replacement. And some of those captains have been there since before virgin even existed.

kjvmw
5th Mar 2023, 03:42
What is with all the negative comments about working at Virgin. If you disregard the long time to command (which doesn't really bother me) you have what appears to be a good roster with lots of days off, a descent (but not great) salary and new aircraft and destinations to soon be added. Is there something I'm missing?

KRUSTY 34
5th Mar 2023, 04:44
What is with all the negative comments about working at Virgin. If you disregard the long time to command (which doesn't really bother me) you have what appears to be a good roster with lots of days off, a descent (but not great) salary and new aircraft and destinations to soon be added. Is there something I'm missing?

Agreed, It is what it is.

Plenty of "Dead End" Aviation (and non Aviation for that matter) jobs out there.

12 off in 28, in the top 10% of salary earners, and Flying Jet equipment. Millions of Australians have built solid productive lives on much, much less. Listening to some here, it really makes me wonder why they ever got into the game in the first place?

Theflyingsosijman
5th Mar 2023, 05:26

Yes. Yes you are.

You’re not a bitter old fart who hates the world because it’s not what it use to be. Remember the glory days? (I don’t, I’m too young).

by the looks of it you could dump 20 metric tonnes of gold on most (not all) of their doorsteps and they’d still look down their nose, over their bifocals, take a sip of their $800 bottle of red wine, and tell you it’s not shiny enough

josephfeatherweight
5th Mar 2023, 05:28
You’re not a bitter old fart who hates the world because it’s not what it use to be.
Why would you not want it to be like it used to be?
Like, you know, when you got paid well and were respected by your company for your skill, experience and professionalism?
I'm 44 - am I an old fart?
It's a race to the bottom and you're winning...

Theflyingsosijman
5th Mar 2023, 05:37
Why would you not want it to be like it used to be?
Like, you know, when you got paid well and were respected by your company for your skill, experience and professionalism?
I'm 44 - am I an old fart?
It's a race to the bottom and you're winning...

certainly not implying we shouldn't fight for better. We always should, otherwise they’ll just run over us.

It’s just the doom and gloom routine gets exhausting. I may be just a lowly FO with an average but perfectly live-able salary, and I can still find plenty of things to enjoy about the job and industry. The camaraderie is second to none and they can never take that away from us even though it appears they’re giving it a good nudge sometimes

josephfeatherweight
5th Mar 2023, 05:41
I may be just a lowly FO with an average but perfectly live-able salary, and I can still find plenty of things to enjoy about the job and industry.
I'd argue that you should be on a better than a "live-able" salary for the job you're doing - but appreciate that you responded and agree we should fight for better.

Theflyingsosijman
5th Mar 2023, 05:48
I'd argue that you should be on a better than "live-able" salary for the job you're doing - but appreciate that you responded and agree we should fight for better.

I certainly feel all of us should be. It’s a shame Australian management sees us as a B grade profession these days. It certainly is not. The dedication and responsibility is up there with the best. I just personally can’t keep up with the doom and gloom that’s all. Not for a second degrading my fellow pilots good sir. That’s what management wants us to do. Never.

directsosij
5th Mar 2023, 06:30
I strongly disagree the salary is liveable, this is no longer true post COVID. During my most recent shop I observed a price rise of 15% on my usual goods. Where I live you cannot buy a family home under $1m.

the salary may have been reasonable pre 2020 but it no longer is.

Theflyingsosijman
5th Mar 2023, 07:18
But is a "live-able" salary acceptable with $100k+ of debt, and an entire lifetime career missing birthdays, anniversaries, school and public holidays with the kids, and half those "days off" walking around like a zombie? Most my friends can plan to do whatever they want on any given weekend for their entire lives, also on very liveable salaries.

certainly not acceptable.

I feel I’ve expressed myself poorly. my original statement was more a statement on my frustration on the constant doom and gloom. It certainly should be more than “acceptable” or “live-able”. We all sacrifice a lot.

also, on reflection I feel the term “old farts” was a very poor generalization. Not all of the older age bracket are doom and gloomers, and not all doom and gloomers are of the older age bracket. Have nothing but respect and admiration for the older generation that train us and mentor us. To date, nothing but positive experiences with any training and checking… I hope to do it one day myself.

Would just like to read some positivity about the job once in a while. Like it’s still something worth doing.

neville_nobody
5th Mar 2023, 09:01
But is a "live-able" salary acceptable with $100k+ of debt, and an entire lifetime career missing birthdays, anniversaries, school and public holidays with the kids, and half those "days off" walking around like a zombie? Most my friends can plan to do whatever they want on any given weekend for their entire lives, also on very liveable salaries.

I think this is really the issue for the profession and ultimately airlines as a whole. It is not a normal job you sacrifice a lot and if you are only earning what everyone else is or possibly less, what's the point?? Either the lifestyle has to change to come into line with everyone else or you need to get paid more. Then throw into the mix partners trying to work and also both of you managing a family and it becomes a very hard sell.

cloudsurfng
5th Mar 2023, 20:51

why miss any of that stuff. Haven’t missed anniversary, wife or kids bday in 16 years. Take a PRA. F&$k em. It’s a job, not a life. The only thing that matters about it is that the pay appears each fortnight. Remove the attachment and life will be much better. You dont owe them anything. As COVID showed, they’ll drop you in a heartbeat without batting an eyelid.

TinFoilhat2
5th Mar 2023, 22:25
why miss any of that stuff. Haven’t missed anniversary, wife or kids bday in 16 years. Take a PRA. F&$k em. It’s a job, not a life. The only thing that matters about it is that the pay appears each fortnight. Remove the attachment and life will be much better. You dont owe them anything. As COVID showed, they’ll drop you in a heartbeat without batting an eyelid.

Absolutely spot on. The sooner people stop believing the corporate BS ‘We are all one big family’ the better we will be. Pilots need to become cut throat in the way we treat these corporations. Stick together and make as much money as possible.

’We are one big family’ except with finances and when the next GFC strikes, then you you are on your own regardless of your mortgage, kids school fees, bills etc..

You owe these airlines nothing, stop being ‘So grateful for the opportunity’ like you see on job social media sites all the time..

When times are tough the board of directors get pay rises, you get fired and the cycle starts all over again.

Captn Rex Havack
6th Mar 2023, 22:14
Taking a PRA does not jack on the company - it jacks on a workmate who now has to fly the shift you are being paid for. If you need a birthday off
a morally intact person should do an organised swap. I've always felt a PRA is a dog act on a mate.

murder most fowl
6th Mar 2023, 22:35
Swapping is not that simple. If your work mate is on standby they now get 4 hours minimum pay to cover you. If they choose to work a day off they get 5 hours. The lack of an actual usable swap system and CMS aa promised is not the fault of the crew.

bloated goat
6th Mar 2023, 22:38
Taking a PRA does not jack on the company - it jacks on a workmate who now has to fly the shift you are being paid for. If you need a birthday off
a morally intact person should do an organised swap. I've always felt a PRA is a dog act on a mate.

Not at Virgin. They’re so short on pilots it means one of your workmates would probably get a day off payment because they’ve nominated to work. Everybody wins on a sickie!

startno1
6th Mar 2023, 23:41
Can anyone confirm it’s the COMPASS test they use on the assessment days?
Thanks

kjvmw
6th Mar 2023, 23:45
Yes it is

cloudsurfng
7th Mar 2023, 01:37

you must be new here.

the only time it’s a ‘dog act’ is Xmas day.

chookcooker
7th Mar 2023, 02:03
Swapping is not that simple. If your work mate is on standby they now get 4 hours minimum pay to cover you. If they choose to work a day off they get 5 hours. The lack of an actual usable swap system and CMS aa promised is not the fault of the crew.

indeed. You may have done them a favour -instead of getting zero $$ if not called out they get minimum 4.

bb_turn
9th Mar 2023, 11:15
So from limited intel I have VA checkies mostly hate life and endeavor to make everyone around them hate life too.

Honesty whats up with that? It just so toxic!

After 25 years and 10k+ hours Im out you have fixed me you strange arse truckers.

New Recruits run for the hills, Much better options than this b grade airline IMO.

flamingmoe
9th Mar 2023, 11:55
Oh bollocks, 90% of the checkies are great, there’s always exceptions, but gross generalisations like that are not at all helpful.

turbantime
10th Mar 2023, 03:42
Going to call out this crap as well. Checkies are great at this airline. As always, there will be exceptions but the vast majority of them are good to work with.

PoppaJo
10th Mar 2023, 05:58
So from limited intel I have VA checkies mostly hate life and endeavor to make everyone around them hate life too.

Honesty whats up with that? It just so toxic!

After 25 years and 10k+ hours Im out you have fixed me you strange arse truckers.

New Recruits run for the hills, Much better options than this b grade airline IMO.

Check with your limited intel source, I bet they have 717s, wrong airline buddy.

I think you will find the group that dislikes the place are line captains, and FOs who are stuck in a the never ending upgrade queue.

pyrophoenix
15th Mar 2023, 01:45
Does anyone in the know, know if Virgin plans on recruiting into the Perth base in the near future? All inactives over the past year seem to be getting directed to Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide so far.

twentyelevens
15th Mar 2023, 02:39
The camaraderie is second to none and they can never take that away from us

Ah yes, the comraderie amongst colluegues. With solidarity like we have, they'll never take that away from us!

You’re not a bitter old fart who hates the world because it’s not what it use to be. Remember the glory days? (I don’t, I’m too young).

by the looks of it you could dump 20 metric tonnes of gold on most (not all) of their doorsteps and they’d still look down their nose, over their bifocals, take a sip of their $800 bottle of red wine, and tell you it’s not shiny enough

Tbot
20th Mar 2023, 09:58
How is VA's current recruitment drive for FOs going does anyone know? Are they getting the quantity of applicants they hoped for? I hear rumors that with such a large portion of the eligible demographic having gone state-side, these aussie jet FO gigs may be easy grabs.

tossbag
21st Mar 2023, 07:48
There are a few passing on the Virgin recall and choosing Air North and Alliance gigs on the Embraer. Choosing a lower queue on the upgrade.

belongamick
22nd Mar 2023, 21:02
Since it looks like they've plumbed the depths of those that want to come back (for the moment at least), have any externals been offered start dates yet?

kjvmw
22nd Mar 2023, 22:10
Yes they have

Tbot
22nd Mar 2023, 22:12
Since it looks like they've plumbed the depths of those that want to come back (at the moment at least), have any externals been offered start dates yet?

I know they are interviewing a few each month up until at least June. All have been told there are start dates from May onwards, whether that materialises is yet to be seen but my guess is successful externals will start in the second half of 2023.

phantom menace
27th Mar 2023, 18:32
I see VARA’s F100’s are being replaced by ex KLM 737-700’s which I understand are going onto the VA AOC, not VARA’s , but the 737 crews will be VARA employees?

Lukiinthesky
12th Apr 2023, 06:11
Can anyone provide a link to purchase practice aptitude test specific to those used on the VA assessment day? TIA

kjvmw
13th Apr 2023, 06:47
Google COMPASS Test. Plenty of sites around that offer it. The ones tested on the day are maths, general aviation knowledge, short term memory, spatial awareness, advanced flight control, multitasking, verbal reasoning and personality. It really isn't something I would bother spending time preparing for. Just revise high school math, wing sweep and how to interpret fixed card tracking (spatial awareness test)

Min Speed
14th Apr 2023, 03:57
Anyone heard anything yet ? I know people who applied last year have been getting start dates but has anyone who applied recently been given an update ?

Red69
9th May 2023, 08:20
You’ll find most that are returning to the company have no loyalty anymore. It’s a means to an end. Simply a stepping stone to get current then move on. They are extremely short of crew yet they won’t put people in the base they want or assist with commuting. The Gold Coast base that was announced hasn’t eventuated and the remuneration is abysmal. Additionally the lifestyle is in existent.

It’s a shell of a company and one that isn’t worth working for. New joiners will also have no idea where they stand on the seniority list until 2026 but they are guaranteed to be waiting at least 15 years for a command. Maybe 25 years for a Bne command.

A lot has to improve before VA is considered a career airline again. There are plenty of other employment opportunities available within the country. Think twice before selecting VA, they will chase you down for the bond if you leave early too.

TimmyTee
9th May 2023, 09:04
Is overtime optional or can it be dumped? How’s the new EBA otherwise? Any rough idea what a “normal” day looks like? Thanks

DashTrash.
11th May 2023, 01:25
They must have reached the bottom of the barrel as the last VARA Kadet course that got scraped before Covid is now about to start 737 ground school.

Tbot
11th May 2023, 10:36
G'day guys,

I thought I would post my experience with VA and their assessment day/recruitment recently and potentially offset some of the negativity for some balance.

Overall I was very impressed with the organisation and coordination of the assessment day. Great communication leading up to the day with flights and hotel paid for (very nice hotel). Good briefings at the start of the day on what would happen and a friendly and relaxed atmosphere throughout. Everything ran to schedule with ample time for breaks/coffee. At the completion of the day the recruiter told us when they would give us the result, They followed through with that promise and called on said day. 3 of 5 on my day were successful.

Good luck to anyone else having a crack!

Tommy Bahama
12th May 2023, 02:45
G'day guys,

I thought I would post my experience with VA and their assessment day/recruitment recently and potentially offset some of the negativity for some balance.

Overall I was very impressed with the organisation and coordination of the assessment day. Great communication leading up to the day with flights and hotel paid for (very nice hotel). Good briefings at the start of the day on what would happen and a friendly and relaxed atmosphere throughout. Everything ran to schedule with ample time for breaks/coffee. At the completion of the day the recruiter told us when they would give us the result, They followed through with that promise and called on said day. 3 of 5 on my day were successful.

Good luck to anyone else having a crack!

Thats all very well and nice and classic virgin bait and switch.......If it was such a great place to work you probably wouldn't have even been interviewed as no one would be leaving and the hundreds still waiting to return would be figting each other to get back.......

thatAVguy
12th May 2023, 05:42
Have you tried asking the recruiter directly? I hear they are happy to provide one on one feedback.

thatAVguy
12th May 2023, 05:45
Thanks for sharing! Got mine coming up in June so good to hear from someone who's been through the process.

PoppaJo
12th May 2023, 05:55
New Hires Interview, paid to fly in and all costs covered.

Long Term employees who got told NO to old pre Covid base and forced to commute to another base at your own cost.

Seems fair.

rightinitial
12th May 2023, 07:39
You have been re employed mate. Not happy with the base…don’t take the position. Fairly clear.

PoppaJo
12th May 2023, 08:54
I don’t work there but that’s the attitude all my friends told me they get. A decade of service. Your old job exists but on our terms, those terms are a place a few thou kms away.

I think your post above sums up Virgin as a whole. Engagement fell off a cliff didn’t it? Retention issues? Hmmmm….time to put the good folks first otherwise nothing will change.

kjvmw
12th May 2023, 13:30
You have been re employed mate. Not happy with the base…don’t take the position. Fairly clear.

100% Agree
​​

DropYourSocks
13th May 2023, 16:00

This right here is what's wrong with Australian aviation. All the detriments of a seniority list, but none of the protection it is supposed to provide. That and the "I'm ok Jack" attitude is why it'll never change. And for those in the "I'm ok, if you don't like it pound sand" crowd, one day that same turn of events may come for you in the seat and base that you've sacrificed everything for. I hope you'll be ready to pound sand too.

This poem from 1946 comes to mind...

First they came for the Communists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Communist
Then they came for the Socialists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Socialist
Then they came for the trade unionists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a trade unionist
Then they came for the Jews
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew
Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me

rightinitial
13th May 2023, 21:12
You’ll be a right joy to spend time on the flight deck with. Just remember where the money comes from that puts food in front of your children every night. You’d of thought Covid would have been humbling for most of us but you obviously weren’t part of most of us. Good luck bud.

DropYourSocks
13th May 2023, 22:59
You’ll be a right joy to spend time on the flight deck with. Just remember where the money comes from that puts food in front of your children every night. You’d of thought Covid would have been humbling for most of us but you obviously weren’t part of most of us. Good luck bud.

I'm not saying you shouldn't feed your family, but it would be nice to actually see Australians stick up for each other for once instead of crawling over each other. I'm also just an outsider looking in, and making an observation that's worth not much more than what you've paid for it. I hope everyone at Virgin actually gets what they deserve, but I still caution those who would climb the ranks at the expense of the more senior folk. What goes around always comes back around.

Chronic Snoozer
13th May 2023, 23:34
This right here is what's wrong with Australian aviation. All the detriments of a seniority list, but none of the protection it is supposed to provide. That and the "I'm ok Jack" attitude is why it'll never change. And for those in the "I'm ok, if you don't like it pound sand" crowd, one day that same turn of events may come for you in the seat and base that you've sacrificed everything for. I hope you'll be ready to pound sand too.

This poem from 1946 comes to mind...

Why does it come to mind? Are we on the precipice of a genocide?

Once Godwin's Law is invoked it is difficult to bring the argument back to where it ought to be, in the real world.

DropYourSocks
14th May 2023, 00:24
Why does it come to mind? Are we on the precipice of a genocide?

Once Godwin's Law is invoked it is difficult to bring the argument back to where it ought to be, in the real world.

Obviously not, but the point is who defended the sacking of the widebody crews out of seniority order? It shouldn't have happened that way, regardless of how much it would have cost virgin management to shuffle everyone down. And those that won out this time and were happy to let the senior guys get the axe might not be so lucky next time. It's just an observation

rightinitial
14th May 2023, 06:02
DropYourSocks can you please give us a break..you are really soaking up too much oxygen for us glass half full guys. The wide body guys weren't sacked or axed they were made redundant with a right of return. They went to the wide body when they had the opportunity because they had seniority. Live by the sword die by the sword. Thats the way it goes.

When you sign the cheques you can approve the training of those wide body crews back to 73.

Goat Whisperer
14th May 2023, 10:12
Is overtime optional or can it be dumped? How’s the new EBA otherwise? Any rough idea what a “normal” day looks like? Thanks

It's not optional. No trip dumping system now nor anticipated. The only way is Roster Adjustment Days. Sadly necessary sometimes.

Flyer4040
18th May 2023, 09:08
Got mine in June as well,any clue about the interview ?

Tbot
18th May 2023, 11:54
Got mine in June as well,any clue about the interview ?

HR based, “tell me about a time” etc. No technical questions. It will all come down to answering via STAR format and how you handle challenges to your answers etc. It is a straight forward interview primarily to assess your skills of communication/cooperation/compliance.

Short version: it’s a d***head check.

Gnadenburg
18th May 2023, 23:14

Oh, so Virgin is all clear of pilot d***heads?

Tommy Bahama
19th May 2023, 00:21
Short version: it’s a d***head check.[/QUOTE]

If thats the case HR has failed miserably for many many years.........some would say its the complete opposite.

spc98075c
19th May 2023, 01:00
HR based, “tell me about a time” etc. No technical questions. It will all come down to answering via STAR format and how you handle challenges to your answers etc. It is a straight forward interview primarily to assess your skills of communication/cooperation/compliance.

So there is no flight crew as part of the interview panel? The only technical part is the Sim session?

Cancelspeeds
26th May 2023, 03:19
Has anyone who applied in March heard back or been given an interview yet?

Captbossmanager
3rd Jul 2023, 07:55
I found the process relaxed and friendly overall but it’s a big day. Interviewed in June and the VA team were friendly. If that’s the way the whole company is, I look forward to it. Walked away feeling brain dead. Make sure you eat your weetbix for brekky.

Tommy Bahama
3rd Jul 2023, 21:42
I Walked away feeling brain dead.

Sounds like you’re their perfect candidate. You’ll fit in perfectly and probably fast tracked to management.

bb_turn
5th Jul 2023, 09:13
Captains on about 250k AUD? Embarrassing IMO

b787q300
13th Jul 2023, 22:35
What are the rosters like for Perth base compared to Melbourne base?

I’ve heard a rumour that base salary increase of 15% voted up recently.

kjvmw
14th Jul 2023, 15:45
No point considering the Perth base. You won't get there for a long time.

No change in salary planned.

Jack D. Ripper
15th Jul 2023, 14:06
No point considering the Perth base. You won't get there for a long time.

No change in salary planned.

With recent increase in charter flying, Perth getting less and less productivity, but more days working….

steer clear

Tbot
16th Jul 2023, 09:02
how long are people waiting for start dates post interview these days? Can't be long if the most recent cadets have been recalled already

Couple months

Cancelspeeds
13th Aug 2023, 09:48
Any updates on their recruiting? Have they filled the numbers

Stretch06
14th Aug 2023, 03:19
Still hiring 12-20 pilots every 28 days. Courses every month through to Dec at the moment. No sign of slowing down.

Some people starting 6 weeks after interview.

plotplot
14th Aug 2023, 22:55
October class full of mostly inactive pilots. Know of three people whose interviews have been pushed back to next year.

Red69
15th Aug 2023, 07:43
I am genuinely intrigued to know why people are considering joining this place.

The resignation rate is sky high, morale is piss poor and terms and conditions amongst the worst in the country. Additionally there is a lack of positions in the bases people want, a lack of progression and a future which entails at best, a LH narrow body seat in 20 years time for a new joiner. Let’s not forget the lack of lifestyle and your unknown position on the seniority list for another 3 years.

Is this really what Australian aviation has come to? Surely there are better aviation jobs in Australia.

plotplot
15th Aug 2023, 09:11
I am genuinely intrigued to know why people are considering joining this place.

Because it is still infinitely better than where they are currently.

terms and conditions amongst the worst in the country

Compared to what? Genuine question. Keeping in mind that not everybody is interested in doing 9 day trips to London in the back seat.

Let’s not forget the lack of lifestyle

Is it really that hard to have a half decent lifestyle with 12 rdo's a roster? Again, genuine question.

A320 Flyer
15th Aug 2023, 09:47

Compared to what? Genuine question. Keeping in mind that not everybody is interested in doing 9 day trips to London in the back seat.

Is it really that hard to have a half decent lifestyle with 12 rdo's a roster? Again, genuine question.

if you want to fly a 737 domestically in Australia with the odd regional trip then you can do that day 1 at QF these days. Time to command is possibly even shorter. The conditions are much better. And when you get sick of the 737 you have WB options at around 6-7 years

MikeHatter732
15th Aug 2023, 22:52
if you want to fly a 737 domestically in Australia with the odd regional trip then you can do that day 1 at QF these days. Time to command is possibly even shorter. The conditions are much better. And when you get sick of the 737 you have WB options at around 6-7 years
Yeah, well maybe half the people going there are from a certain red tailed turboprop operator who are paid crap for more work (8 days off a roster) and then QF either flat out refused to take them or told them their "indicative" start date was in 3 years time.

Red69
16th Aug 2023, 02:06

Compared to the 3 major airlines people aspire to work for in this country - QF, JQ and VA. The former now pay better, have better career progression, better base options and better fleet options.

The 12 days off are required to stay functional in this job. There is no functioning PBS or Trip Swap system. FDP are used as targets. People are exhausted. Throw in the people who commute (guessing approx 30% of crew) and there is a lot of disharmony. The resignation rate reflects how people are feeling.

It’s a good place to use as a stepping stone to greener pastures, but not many are staying for the long term.

Colonel_Klink
16th Aug 2023, 09:01
Compared to the 3 major airlines people aspire to work for in this country - QF, JQ and VA. The former now pay better, have better career progression, better base options and better fleet options.

The 12 days off are required to stay functional in this job. There is no functioning PBS or Trip Swap system. FDP are used as targets. People are exhausted. Throw in the people who commute (guessing approx 30% of crew) and there is a lot of disharmony. The resignation rate reflects how people are feeling.

It’s a good place to use as a stepping stone to greener pastures, but not many are staying for the long term.

I don’t think the days at JQ or QF on their respective NB fleets are much better to be fair. The fact is flying around NB aeroplanes under CAO48.1 (which VA aren’t on yet!) is hard going. I’m certainly thankful I have a minimum of 12 days off. I don’t know how you’d survive this job on 10.

People are resigning, but again I don’t think it’s in any great number. It definitely peaked when quite a flew left for Atlas, but since then it seems to have gone quiet (unless there are a heap to still go to QF - but that number has been big for 18 months apparently.). At a guess I’d suggest the resignation rate is around the 5% mark? I’m also not sure it’s quite right to say that people aren’t staying long term - there is a hell of a lot of people who have been in the place 20/15/10 years.

You make a good point about career progression and QF certainly offers variety in a career. It’s the one thing Virgin can’t offer, and it’s significant. It’s the one thing if I was younger and had a choice of who to apply to, that I’d be factoring in.

dive and drive
16th Aug 2023, 10:04
Something else to consider: how certain is the future of mainline QF SH?
Is the fleet size going to stay the same (or even expand) or shrink when the 737 is phased out and the flying is given to one or more subsidiaries?
Whatever one ends up choosing, it is always a gamble.

morno
16th Aug 2023, 11:00
I wouldn’t worry too much about the size of the subsidiaries long term. They will never be able to attract the numbers that they need on the terms they’re offering.

My prediction is that eventually most, not all, flying that’s been farmed out to the subsidiaries will be brought back into mainline more out of necessity.

CaptainInsaneO
16th Aug 2023, 22:30
Yeah, well maybe half the people going there are from a certain red tailed turboprop operator who are paid crap for more work (8 days off a roster) and then QF either flat out refused to take them or told them their "indicative" start date was in 3 years time.

I've heard too that out of those 8 days off a month, most pilots are working on their days off just to make ends meet. So then going from 6 or 7 days off a month to 12 is huge. Is it true it's double the wage to go to Virgin?

Cancelspeeds
16th Aug 2023, 22:43
I've heard too that out of those 8 days off a month, most pilots are working on their days off just to make ends meet. So then going from 6 or 7 days off a month to 12 is huge. Is it true it's double the wage to go to Virgin?

More than double… QantasLink starting salary is 66K

The Love Doctor
17th Aug 2023, 03:27
More than double… QantasLink starting salary is 66K
Really? That is appalling for a professional job. This needs to be spread far and wide to inspire the youth not to take up flying as a career.

Goat Whisperer
31st Aug 2023, 00:49
The hectic rate of training/recruiting at VA is slowing.

Forecasting only 80 new FOs and 27 command upgrades in 12 months. In addition to jobs announced and Fokker transfers. Fleet will plateau for a year or so when the Max 8s arrive.

Transition Layer
31st Aug 2023, 05:22
Really? That is appalling for a professional job. This needs to be spread far and wide to inspire the youth not to take up flying as a career.
That’s why they built Wellcamp. It’s the Qantas(Link) Pilot Academy

Callsign Please
31st Aug 2023, 12:42
That’s why they built Wellcamp. It’s the Qantas(Link) Pilot Academy
Book now and get a free JQ start date!

plotplot
2nd Sep 2023, 09:04
The hectic rate of training/recruiting at VA is slowing.

Forecasting only 80 new FOs and 27 command upgrades in 12 months. In addition to jobs announced and Fokker transfers. Fleet will plateau for a year or so when the Max 8s arrive.
Do you have any info on the 12 months from when? Quite a few now waiting for a start date that interviewed from late June onwards. Still interviewing until end of September I heard, others who who were due to interview after Sept have been pushed back until next year.

Colonel_Klink
2nd Sep 2023, 09:45
Do you have any info on the 12 months from when? Quite a few now waiting for a start date that interviewed from late June onwards. Still interviewing until end of September I heard, others who who were due to interview after Sept have been pushed back until next year.

Essentially 27 commands and 80 FO spots from November this year until October next year. Well at least that’s what they think today anyway!

tiger-palm
2nd Sep 2023, 09:59
There are still a good number of ex VANZ pilots who I understand have an option to return to VA until 2026 ?.

Mr Google Head
4th Sep 2023, 09:43
There are still a good number of ex VANZ pilots who I understand have an option to return to VA until 2026 ?.

Correct. As well as any other pilots made redundant in 2020 under the reemployment policy - wide body / ATR and Tiger also. As time goes buy one would think that most would have made their bed and if they aren’t back then probably not coming back - albeit the right of return is there till 2026.

skypilot646
11th Sep 2023, 08:39
Who else got an invite for assessment centres? I didn't get one until April. Were there earlier dates available?

belongamick
11th Sep 2023, 22:03
Correct. As well as any other pilots made redundant in 2020 under the reemployment policy - wide body / ATR and Tiger also. As time goes buy one would think that most would have made their bed and if they aren’t back then probably not coming back - albeit the right of return is there till 2026.

Probably a thread drift, but I wonder how many of those made redundant have chosen to stay away from aviation ever since, how many have made their bed somewhere else, and how many have actually come back. The opportunities for everyone to come back have been there, but clearly many have stayed away.

snakeslugger
12th Sep 2023, 20:43
Probably a thread drift, but I wonder how many of those made redundant have chosen to stay away from aviation ever since, how many have made their bed somewhere else, and how many have actually come back. The opportunities for everyone to come back have been there, but clearly many have stayed away.

I think that tells you exactly what they think of VA.

boigu_bitch
25th Sep 2023, 02:15
Curious to know what bases are currently being offered for new hires? and what are the approximate wait times for a BNE or PER transfer?

slice
25th Sep 2023, 06:09
Majority SYD and MEL, a few ADL and 1 PER this year. Probably a long wait for Perth, seems to be a stable base. Brisbane- years at this stage.

tigermoth_744
26th Sep 2023, 23:57
VARA 320/F100 spots in PER went to the bottom of the list so thats possible, 737 in PER unlikely.

JonBoi
29th Sep 2023, 15:31
Any insider news of when is the next few 737 courses starting?
Any information will be much appreciated!

JonBoi
29th Sep 2023, 15:35
any information will be much appreciated!

kjvmw
2nd Oct 2023, 11:36
One course a month every month until the end of the year. Not sure what 2024 looks like.

Cancelspeeds
2nd Oct 2023, 11:41
Any information will be much appreciated! Been on hold for over two months still no update

plotplot
2nd Oct 2023, 21:35
I was told they have been put on hold, along with interview sessions, until early next year. No more courses after October. Know of others whom have been fed the same info.

Dewa_Gede_70
2nd Oct 2023, 22:32

SPOT ON MATE !!!!!!!

Red69
13th Oct 2023, 03:51
VA is becoming Australia’s Ryan Air (from a flight crew perspective). People are turning up to get some quick jet time or to get current then move onto a place that treats them with respect and pays them an appropriate wage. Pretty sad state of affairs for what is the second biggest airline in the country.

It’s even sadder hearing young pilots who have never flow a jet before saying that VA isn’t on their radar to apply for as there is no career progression and they pay the lowest. It’s a pretty big fall from once being the employer of choice

LostWanderer
13th Oct 2023, 05:03
VA is becoming Australia’s Ryan Air (from a flight crew perspective). People are turning up to get some quick jet time or to get current then move onto a place that treats them with respect and pays them an appropriate wage. Pretty sad state of affairs for what is the second biggest airline in the country.

It’s even sadder hearing young pilots who have never flow a jet before saying that VA isn’t on their radar to apply for as there is no career progression and they pay the lowest. It’s a pretty big fall from once being the employer of choice

Where are they going exactly? Jetstar is just a lateral move. Rex/Bonza isn't even on the same playing field and QF only take a small number of people...I mean there is the US but 99% of them are going to be stuck going to a cargo operator and living a pretty unpleasant lifestyle or a regional and all the while stuck on temporary visas with no ability to progress. Point is, surely Virgin isn't having that much trouble recruiting and retaining. Theres pretty much nowhere else to go as far as I can see.

Tbot
13th Oct 2023, 05:18
Where are they going exactly? Jetstar is just a lateral move. Rex/Bonza isn't even on the same playing field and QF only take a small number of people...I mean there is the US but 99% of them are going to be stuck going to a cargo operator and living a pretty unpleasant lifestyle or a regional and all the while stuck on temporary visas with no ability to progress. Point is, surely Virgin isn't having that much trouble recruiting and retaining. Theres pretty much nowhere else to go as far as I can see.

My thoughts too

Colonel_Klink
13th Oct 2023, 06:23
My thoughts too

And now there are multiple former CX pilots (including captains) who are joining.

Virgin is never going to offer the same career opportunities as Qantas, but you’d be pretty naïve to not realise that.

The number of pilots leaving has stabilised - maybe there will be an uptick now that QF are offering more course dates and further interviews. But certainly very small numbers from the left seat at Virgin are leaving.

Despite all the huff and puff of people leaving to go elsewhere - it’s simply not happening. Bonza have just opened a Gold Coast base - I’d almost guarantee none of the commuters from Virgin will leave to go there.

If any of the operators are being used to get current it would be Rex or Bonza. In fact Bonza’s biggest issue with their expansion moving forward is going to be the attraction and retention of flight crew.

aseriesofleftturns
13th Oct 2023, 10:00

19 days off in October and even in Year 2, far out earning a Senior VA FO. Not exactly an “unpleasant lifestyle”.

TimmyTee
13th Oct 2023, 11:40
A mate reckons they are only looking at a max of 30-40 commands for the next 12 months - during a crazy growth period no less. No idea how many are waiting for a command, but at that rate, and no widebodies in sight, it's most likely going to be a looong time until a new joiner's number comes up.
I reckon you'd get a command sooner at every other airline in Aus.
Given the lack of progression or options there, I hope the boys and girls there are in line for a decent pay rise in the next EBA!

Red69
13th Oct 2023, 12:27
A mate reckons they are only looking at a max of 30-40 commands for the next 12 months - during a crazy growth period no less.

They actually said 27 commands for the next 12 months. All this while demand has supposedly peaked. There is no progression (or lifestyle) at VA, especially for new joiners. Hence the reference to it becoming like Ryan Air as a jet time, hour building airline. At least there is progression there.

There are plenty of FO’s, junior and senior who are on the hold file for other airlines. Many are looking elsewhere to regain some form of career progression and/or satisfaction. The number leaving will be increasing imo

plotplot
26th Oct 2023, 00:31
Any word on the company's response to the new EBA proposal?

anonfly
26th Oct 2023, 00:50
Any word on the company's response to the new EBA proposal?

Eye watering

Ladloy
26th Oct 2023, 00:58
Eye watering
whats the current offer?

plotplot
26th Oct 2023, 01:54
Eye watering
care to elaborate?

kjvmw
26th Oct 2023, 02:17
care to elaborate?

That was the CPs response to proposed salary.

skypilot646
20th Nov 2023, 10:28
Anyone heard when the 2024 courses will be? Also any update on the new EBA? Heard anything from 155-190 for an FO, latter sounds very far fetched.

plotplot
20th Nov 2023, 18:06
Kicking back off in Feb, monthly after that.

Cancelspeeds
21st Nov 2023, 02:44
Have February start dates been given yet?

Tbot
21st Nov 2023, 06:07
Have February start dates been given yet?
Feb start date is being allocated this week

skypilot646
22nd Nov 2023, 02:09
Happen to know if there’s many people on the hold file currently?

Tbot
27th Nov 2023, 02:25
I am not sure sorry mate. I know for 2023 people only waited 2 to 3 months once successful to start. The hold file likely is building slightly over this xmas period given slow down of recruitment (only due to the time of year) so maybe expect 3 to 4 months wait for start date. Feb 5 start date has been allocated already mainly for Perth base I hear.

skypilot646
27th Nov 2023, 03:28
Thanks mate, always a nervous wait for the start date. Someone from my interview got a march start date for perth too

bb_turn
4th Dec 2023, 08:38
IMO have you considered becoming a plumber or electrician? You will get paid more, have Christmas off plus other day that are important to you. Is Being paid 1987 rates normal to you? . IMO as someone that took these clowns lies for 10 years run for the F#5ken hills.
it's embarrassing what VA pilots get paid. Shame. Shame.

Track5milefinal
4th Dec 2023, 09:47
IMO have you considered becoming a plumber or electrician? You will get paid more, have Christmas off plus other day that are important to you. Is Being paid 1987 rates normal to you? . IMO as someone that took these clowns lies for 10 years run for the F#5ken hills.
it's embarrassing what VA pilots get paid. Shame. Shame.

Unfortunately in Aus its an absolute race to the bottom not helped by an ununited front to improve T&C's by the pilot group. Everyone is happy to undercut the next bloke in line, management play them like the absolute fools they are.

Glad to have flown that coop long ago!

Icarus2001
4th Dec 2023, 10:36
IMO have you considered becoming a plumber or electrician?

Once said pilot gets to experience crawling through a roof space at forty degrees or clearing a blocked sewer line then the almost white collar job in air conditioned comfort, sitting down and being fed and watered looks pretty good.

Ladloy
4th Dec 2023, 20:34
Unfortunately in Aus its an absolute race to the bottom not helped by an ununited front to improve T&C's by the pilot group. Everyone is happy to undercut the next bloke in line, management play them like the absolute fools they are.

Glad to have flown that coop long ago!
It's the Australian way. FYIGM.

Cancelspeeds
11th Dec 2023, 04:22
Thanks mate, always a nervous wait for the start date. Someone from my interview got a march start date for perth too

Anyone know when April start dates are going to be given?

Skippy69
12th Dec 2023, 02:31
My Application has been moved on to the Chief operations officer and is under review, been like that for about a week, any time line from application to hearing if moved onto the next stage?

Red69
12th Dec 2023, 04:39
Think long and hard before joining this mob. If you want career progression, a supportive training environment and good pay and rosters, this isn’t the place for you. Consider any other jet operator and you’ll likely have a much more fulfilling career.

Red69
13th Dec 2023, 10:02
And in more news, VA just applied to fly adl per dps and ool per dps. No idea where they’re going to get the pilots to fly those routes when they can’t even manage their current schedule. Don’t think there will be many pilots keen to fly that pairing either.

skypilot646
17th Dec 2023, 23:38
My Application has been moved on to the Chief operations officer and is under review, been like that for about a week, any time line from application to hearing if moved onto the next stage?

I spoke with a Checkie, being in a similar situation, he said to expect a start date in second quarter 2024. I assume April starts will probably be given out early Jan, as they usually try and give about 3 months notice

SOSIJ
18th Dec 2023, 08:23
Think long and hard before joining this mob. If you want career progression, a supportive training environment and good pay and rosters, this isn’t the place for you. Consider any other jet operator and you’ll likely have a much more fulfilling career.

Care to expand on that or are we just meant to take your word for it?

Tbot
18th Dec 2023, 08:57
I would just ignore him. Most of his posts are incoherent geriatric ramblings aimed at VA.

Red69
18th Dec 2023, 22:53
I would just ignore him. Most of his posts are incoherent geriatric ramblings aimed at VA.

Incoherent? What parts would you like me to clarify? If you think I’m rambling, go and talk to any VA pilot and ask for their genuine thoughts. Morale at VA has never been lower for many reason.

plotplot
19th Dec 2023, 21:11
Incoherent? What parts would you like me to clarify? If you think I’m rambling, go and talk to any VA pilot and ask for their genuine thoughts. Morale at VA has never been lower for many reason.
I'd be happy to see you have crack at clarifying all of it, if you are in the know. With facts would be great, not just hearsay.

I've heard differing figures on progression. Time to command being anywhere from 10-15 years depending on who you talk to.

Regarding pay, 13 x 57.5 x 182 = $136,045. In another thread it was mentioned recently that it was not uncommon for crew to credit 1000 - 1300 hours a year. At the lower end of that, 1000 x $182 FO hourly rate = a salary not to turn your nose up at, I would have thought.

I can't speak on the training environment. On morale, I've heard there are issues, as everyone is working hard. That is not isolated to Virgin.

Would be happy for you to expand on any and all of this.

mikewil
19th Dec 2023, 21:38
a salary not to turn your nose up at, I would have thought.
Until you compare it to just about every other first world country on the planet.

Cue the "go to the US if its so great" and "I'm not in it for the money" posts. But wouldn't it be nice to be paid even 70% of what the yanks are being paid for doing exactly the same work. Just dream about it for a sec 'being valued for your profession and paid like you should be, even if you arent in it for the money' ahhh wouldnt it be nice....

wasathangi
22nd Dec 2023, 02:03
How about you elaborate on this statement...

Hollywood1
22nd Dec 2023, 03:01
Until you compare it to just about every other first world country on the planet.

Cue the "go to the US if its so great" and "I'm not in it for the money" posts. But wouldn't it be nice to be paid even 70% of what the yanks are being paid for doing exactly the same work. Just dream about it for a sec 'being valued for your profession and paid like you should be, even if you arent in it for the money' ahhh wouldnt it be nice....

Yeah, but you'd have to live in the USA. Been there, done that, and it's not for everyone.

skypilot646
6th Jan 2024, 05:13
Anyone know when April start dates are going to be given?

April 29 dates were given early December, may dates should theoretically be allocated soon

skyhigh4
7th Jan 2024, 04:47
Hi guys,
cant find much information about ATPL theory questions asked on the day? does this still occur?
and what methods do people use to brush up on theory. short from hitting the books.
cheers

Tbot
8th Jan 2024, 06:16
Hi guys,
cant find much information about ATPL theory questions asked on the day? does this still occur?
and what methods do people use to brush up on theory. short from hitting the books.
cheers

It’s all very basic stuff like wing sweep, flap types, braking performance on wet runway etc, I’d say no real study required, the right answer will stand out from the other multiple choices.

No Idea Either
8th Jan 2024, 22:48
It’s all very basic stuff like wing sweep, flap types, braking performance on wet runway etc, I’d say no real study required, the right answer will stand out from the other multiple choices.

I work for VA, joined very early back when it started. There was no real technical interview back then but I still studied just because that’s what you do for an airline interview. I can’t help you with any answers to your questions as I haven’t ever had anything to do with interviews/recruitment but my advice is yes do a fair bit of study because…that’s just what you do…for an airline interview. If your asked a followup question to the ‘standard answer’, you need to be able to talk about topics a little bit deeper. If you can’t, you’re out. The topics mentioned by Tbot are all very applicable but please ignore the rest of his\her advice. If you study for days, weeks, months…whatever, even if they don’t ask any ‘hard’ technical questions on the day, the knowledge of course will still be of benefit. Tbot mentions the answer will stand out from the other multiple choice answers so I am not sure if your question was about a written tech exam or face to face interviews, in any case……I would study if I was you……if you want the job…..

And before I get written off as a ‘fanboy’, I agree 100% with Red69, morale is at an all time low amongst the pilot group. But let’s hope that the new EA and after Bain %#$& off after the float (fingers crossed) it may get better:ugh::rolleyes:

Tbot
9th Jan 2024, 02:06
I work for VA, joined very early back when it started. There was no real technical interview back then but I still studied just because that’s what you do for an airline interview. I can’t help you with any answers to your questions as I haven’t ever had anything to do with interviews/recruitment but my advice is yes do a fair bit of study because…that’s just what you do…for an airline interview. If your asked a followup question to the ‘standard answer’, you need to be able to talk about topics a little bit deeper. If you can’t, you’re out. The topics mentioned by Tbot are all very applicable but please ignore the rest of his\her advice. If you study for days, weeks, months…whatever, even if they don’t ask any ‘hard’ technical questions on the day, the knowledge of course will still be of benefit. Tbot mentions the answer will stand out from the other multiple choice answers so I am not sure if your question was about a written tech exam or face to face interviews, in any case……I would study if I was you……if you want the job…..

And before I get written off as a ‘fanboy’, I agree 100% with Red69, morale is at an all time low amongst the pilot group. But let’s hope that the new EA and after Bain %#$& off after the float (fingers crossed) it may get better:ugh::rolleyes:

To clarify, the 20 or so ATPL theory questions are only asked in the computer aptitude test battery. They are multiple choice basic questions that anyone who has completed their ATPL exams should easily be able to answer with no additional study. I should have expanded to say yes of course study and prepare as much as you can, but the energy is far better spent on preparing examples for the behavioural interview questions and rehearsing the sim profile (both of which are available though pinstripe etc).

No Idea Either
10th Jan 2024, 06:01
Thanks Tbot for the clarification. Like I said I was unaware of the actual process..

chuq
11th Jan 2024, 03:09
Do VA really hire pilots at 500 hours? VA's website says 500 hours is the minimum but will they actually give you a job? As someone finishing high school at the end of this year this seems like it's too good to be true. Although the position requires 200 hours of multi engine time (which seems to be a problem for a lot of new pilots) I can't wrap my head around this. Will they even look at you without a degree or loads of hours?

kjvmw
11th Jan 2024, 22:19
In short, no they probably won't. The closest they have come to hiring someone with those minimums are the cadets they rehired. They all have had a bit more then 500 hours but no multi time.

​​​​I was hired without a degree and 3000 hours and I was one of the least experienced (in terms of total hours) in my group

Biatch
17th Jan 2024, 08:13
For another perspective….

Current FO, earnt over $200k last financial year… and I’m relatively happy. (Note I don’t commute)

12 DDOs a roster is pretty good. Work them if you want to, or dont!

Yes the base is down at $135k odd, but with regular 80 hour rosters and a bit of undertime still to be had, it’s pretty easy to earn more.

Morale? 🤷‍♂️ On the line, sector to sector, I’m pretty happy. I have close friends at other operators and it could be said that morale is ****** there too… so it’s all relative. Company politics are **** no matter where you go. Does it affect you day to day? Only if you left it.

It’s a domestic airline, have your eyes open. 4 sector days. 12 hour duties. A bit of back of the clock here and there. It is what it is. Don’t like it, shoot for QF/JQ and enjoy long haul. Horses for courses.

Some have left, many haven’t. Some have left and come back!! Most redundant pilots who want to come back, have. Some may be holding out till 2026 but not many.

Good luck with the application. Look forward to seeing new people out on the line…

airdualbleedfault
18th Jan 2024, 06:24
Do VA really hire pilots at 500 hours? VA's website says 500 hours is the minimum but will they actually give you a job? As someone finishing high school at the end of this year this seems like it's too good to be true. Although the position requires 200 hours of multi engine time (which seems to be a problem for a lot of new pilots) I can't wrap my head around this. Will they even look at you without a degree or loads of hours?
This low hours thing has historically been so the airlines can hire ex military pilots who, depending on the frame, are lucky to do 100hrs a year, so unfortunately no as someone else implied, you wouldn't be hired with 500 hours and especially with no multi

skypilot646
2nd Feb 2024, 00:18
Is it true that all type ratings are now in perth?

chuq
2nd Feb 2024, 05:37
This low hours thing has historically been so the airlines can hire ex military pilots who, depending on the frame, are lucky to do 100hrs a year, so unfortunately no as someone else implied, you wouldn't be hired with 500 hours and especially with no multi

Thanks for the heads up. never really thought of accomodations for low time military so that actually explains a few things.

Colonel_Klink
2nd Feb 2024, 21:39

Most seem to be in Perth with the occasional one in Brisbane. Not sure if they are still sending people to Europe for the type rating. Plan long term is to do it all internally.

Stretch06
24th Feb 2024, 12:47

some yes, but also still sending people to Milan too.