PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful Weber!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

DirtyProp
5th May 2016, 11:01
half way decent: nuts, including little pine nuts and big walnuts; olives [served separately], celery, grated carrot, sun-dried tomato, a few bright pepper strips, little slices of powerful onion, perhaps sweet corn and avocado, and a home-made dressing* in a separate jug.

And some feta cheese crumbles!

PS: by the way, why is this not moved to JB..?
Is Weber considered a "Military Hardware", maybe?

teeteringhead
5th May 2016, 11:17
PS: by the way, why is this not moved to JB..?
Is Weber considered a "Military Hardware", maybe? Been here for more than 10 years - just: 25th April 06 - so that probably counts as a"tradition".

Please don't move it .........

DirtyProp
5th May 2016, 13:35
Please don't move it .........
Don't worry, I won't request it.
Just simple curiosity. I know you old farts would never be able to find it again....:E

langleybaston
5th May 2016, 15:55
Its not the only thing we sometimes cannot find in a hurry.

And yes, the Weber is military hardware, together with a bastard great PX- purchased US lawnmower, 3HP, still going strong as my reserve, all but 30 years old and neglected to the Nth degree.

tdracer
5th May 2016, 18:05
At the risk of riling my fellow Weberites, there is one appropriate 'salad' when doing proper BBQ, and it does have some green stuff in it:
Coleslaw :ok:
I don't know why, but the flavors of coleslaw and slow smoked pork complement each other very nicely. In fact a very popular BBQ dish is a pulled pork sandwich topped with coleslaw. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it - if the cook knows what they're doing it's wonderful :E

Courtney Mil
5th May 2016, 19:56
Yes, tdracer, I think you're right. Coleslaw works well with BBQ'd food.

The Weber at Chateau Courtnage has been busy this Spring. My local butcher makes the best marinated brochettes, so I'm being a bit uncreative at the moment. But very happy. It means I can be composing and recording right up until cooking time. The only prep so far has been putting a few pommes de terre, the hottest spring onions I've ever had and some big red tomatoes.

langleybaston
6th May 2016, 18:45
My beloved has retrieved large Kangaroo steaks for Sunday.

No VB in stock however.

langleybaston
11th May 2016, 20:42
Kangaroo was great, last of stock for the moment but ...............

NOGO this weekend. Anywhere in NW Europe.

CoffmanStarter
11th May 2016, 20:58
Langley ...

What's this I hear that a Funnel Cloud frequented Oxfordshire today ? I hope BEagle's 'Orb' hasn't been sucked up into oblivion :eek:

teeteringhead
15th May 2016, 14:55
Orb functional check satis (very! :ok:) yesterday.

Nothing special - only Milady T and self - so a beer-can chook with some "spiralized" butternut squash (using Milady's latest toy .......) and corn on the cob.

Veggies done whilst chook was "resting", squash in a baking tray "indirect", while the corn did nicely on "direct" heat at the orb edges........ Yum!

BEagle
8th Jun 2016, 15:17
Nope, CoffmanStarter, my trusty blackfellow hasn't been sucked into the heavens. But the recent thunderstorms have made it a bit of a guessing game here in British West Oxfordshire.

Waitrose, the rotten barstewards, have stopped selling Bratties :( . But I've tracked some down in the Oxford Tesco - a fearful place infested with lower orders from Blackbird Leys....

Still, the weather-guessers have alleged that it'll stay dry this afternoon, so there's a piece of pork fillet having a swim in some marinade for later....:ok:

Gas gays won't be concerned at this, but the latest sack of lumpwood charcoal I bought 'tother day seems to have a much higher calorific value than hitherto - I hadn't seen such a high reading on the blackfellow's thermometer as I saw on Monday evening!

CoffmanStarter
8th Jun 2016, 17:36
BEagle ... BBQ Inter-Flight banter aside (for the moment :E) ... Very pleased to hear your equipment remained on the pan ... Clearly it was properly 'chocked' :ok:

But ... Obtaining provisions from a place called 'Tesco' ... I hope you went under the cover of darkness and wore a suitable disguise ;)

tdracer
9th Jun 2016, 00:25
Wife's friend gave us a ~15 lb. frozen turkey recently. I really wasn't planning to, but it was taking up so much room in the freezer that I decided to smoke it last weekend.
Stuffed it with my favorite dressing recipe, then 8 hours in the smoker at about 230 deg F with plenty of hickory wood chips.
Ex-cellent :ok:
Problem is the wife doesn't each much turkey so I've got a lot of leftovers to deal with :}

Wander00
9th Jun 2016, 08:32
Turkey curry?........

son of brommers
9th Jun 2016, 11:37
Waitrose, the rotten barstewards, have stopped selling Bratties . But I've tracked some down in the Oxford Tesco - a fearful place infested with lower orders from Blackbird Leys....

Our local germanic-owned price-efficient outlet does a very good range of bratties. The "lower orders" are offset by '16 plate Mercs and Range Rovers so it can't all be bad.

BTW, they also do mini-kegs of weiss at the moment.

BEagle
9th Jun 2016, 12:42
If that's the L-place, I gather that there's one of those not far from here. I have to take a wrongly-delivered parcel to someone on that side of town (same address, wrong village) later today, so might risk taking a look on my way back..

Wander00
9th Jun 2016, 13:13
And why is just about everything "spiralised" now - what will be the next fad?

langleybaston
9th Jun 2016, 15:51
There are two L-shops within range, and we have become fortnightly swoopers in the Stamford branch.

Decent quaffing red at prices unseen elsewhere for a year or two; bratties; Kanga, and a good range of "de Luxe" with black/white labels such as pates, bikkies for cheese .................

Boys toys on Thursdays, pre-advertised on internet.

And yes, definitely a two-type clientele, a weird sensation. If I go there straight from up a ladder or gardening in Compo mode, I belong.

If I go in jacket & tie with hat, I merge with t'other.

Makes no difference to the bill either.

Recommended.

BEagle
9th Jun 2016, 16:06
Thanks, son of brommers, brattie hunt was successful!

Also a box of 6 different Belgian beers....:ok:

3 x BMW (although 2 were diseasel) plus one other Merc in the car park. As well as some Audis.

Quite a few tatty old Corsas and a few white vans though...:uhoh:

Wander00
9th Jun 2016, 16:28
If you L shop does them I recommend the Toulouse sausages

langleybaston
22nd Jun 2016, 17:49
I think I know what has b*ggered the UK weather.

My beloved and I re-laid an old patio area [she does the grafting, I supervise] and made a good level and ample area, with lovely old mellow brickwork as a backdrop. Facing SW, a sun trap.
New bistro set, and repainted old ones.
Moved umbrellas into position.
Had one swift BBQ.

and the rest is history.

Question is: what must we do to undo the offence caused to the sun-god? Sacrificing virgins in Lincolnshire easier said than done .............................

downsizer
22nd Jun 2016, 19:04
LB

and we have become fortnightly swoopers in the Stamford branch.

Soon you'll have one even closer then!

BEagle
22nd Jun 2016, 20:44
'Flaming June' hasn't allowed the faithful blackfellow to perform much Weber magic of late.

The weather-guessers managed about 5 hours of suckers gap sunshine on Friday 17th, just enough to cut the rolling verdant acres around BEagle Towers, then a quick bath before an evening barbi' featuring Bratwurst mit Senf-Mayo und Bratkartoffeln.... Then came the rain again...and on Saturday, Sunday evening, Monday etc. etc.....

Back in the late '50s " 'tis they bombs" was the locals' opinion down Zumzett way when the weather turned bad. But we haven't had any atmospheric testing for ages now :confused:

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jun 2016, 20:48
Yes ... But some nutter in North Korea is playing with some Medium Range Rockets :uhoh:

salad-dodger
24th Jun 2016, 19:51
Question is: what must we do to undo the offence caused to the sun-god? Sacrificing virgins in Lincolnshire easier said than done .............................

You could just stop blathering on about a weatherman back in the the 60s/70s / 80s and get on with life :)

langleybaston
1st Jul 2016, 15:09
Might just get one in tomorrow 2nd July .............. pretty desperate stuff though, sunny intervals, showers, Max 18, gusts 30.

Need to get on with things or some of the grub will be out of date.

We are told that temperatures are about average for the time of the year .............. so why do my short fat hairy legs not want to come out and play?

Wander00
3rd Jul 2016, 16:30
Just been in Spain for son's wedding and a few days' R&R (4 day wedding party!) in Nerja. Lovely. Now back in France - it is cold, and even tried to rain this afternoon. Where is "Summer 2016"?

BEagle
4th Jul 2016, 06:44
Indeed! I blame that bag of wind Boris Johnson and his 'Brexit' cronies...:mad:

But summer appeared in time for the blackfellow to demonstrate the magic of the black orb again last evening!

Willard Whyte
4th Jul 2016, 10:07
I blame the gloom and doom on the dour blinkered bremainers.

Anyway, obviously bought a Weber Genesis to celebrate Independence Day.

Pontius Navigator
4th Jul 2016, 11:15
Did a leg of lamb last weekend. Much better smell of roasting lamb waffling around the garden

langleybaston
4th Jul 2016, 13:31
We managed to hack it between showers, with bratties and sauerkraut for a starter.

Sister-in-law is a bit nesh so we ate in the conservatory with all the doors and windows open.

Huge volume of Becks consumed by my prospective grandson-in-law, quite remarkably he appeared sober throughout.

BEagle
2nd Aug 2016, 20:23
The glorious British summer strikes again....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Wx3Aug2016_zpsy20hykpm.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/nw969/media/Wx3Aug2016_zpsy20hykpm.jpg.html)

Image from the excellent RTÉ website RTÉ Weather (http://www.rte.ie/weather/charts.html)

What have we done to deserve this? The black orb has been distinctly underused of late :(

langleybaston
2nd Aug 2016, 20:53
It was nothing to do with Brexit because the rot had set in earlier!

orgASMic
4th Aug 2016, 07:04
I don't even bother with the oven for legs of lamb any more. They always go in the Weber in indirect mode. Lumpwood charcoal only, obviously. I must experiment with doing roast spuds in the foil drip tray this weekend.

BEagle
11th Aug 2016, 18:38
Well, the weather-guessers have been muttering about some decent summer Wx next week, so with any luck there might be more than a few Weber-tastic days...

Pork, chook and (tonight) bratties mit bratkartofflen und mayo-senf have found themselves on the sacred black orb of late - fingers crossed for a few more decent days yet!

langleybaston
14th Aug 2016, 23:03
Your duty weather-guesser is back in the UK from places south and east so he also wishes for clement wx and a following wind.
I have designs on a massive loin of pork done rotisserie-wise propelled by 2 D cells.
Because you're worth it.

superplum
25th Aug 2016, 11:33
I have a dilemma and am seeking expert advice from experienced ‘Weber’teers on here. My trusty black One-Touch is, due to age (Xmas pressie – RAFG 87), poor maintenance and neglect, rumbling towards the recycler. A leg is loose and drops out if carried, the wooden handles are rotting (one just fell off) but it does have a nearly new grill and still works perfectly. Should I repair it and soldier on, or should I break this out from my garage rafters: My “new” One-Touch Plus (Red with wooden handles) bought as a WMR spare on repat to the UK in Dec 90.

:confused:

BEagle
25th Aug 2016, 12:11
I recommend that you check the 'new' Weber first, to be certain that it hasn't also rusted in the 26 years since it's been sitting under your garage roof....

Is the oldster's wobbly front leg just loose in the socket, or is the socket itself rusting away where it attaches to the kettle? If the later, it will need rather a lot of repair work, which doesn't really seem worth the effort, given that you probably have a serviceable 'new' barbi' ready for use.

Wander00
25th Aug 2016, 13:43
I reckon that is a "first" - a guy with a replacement barbie nearly as old as my youngest son, and bought when I was under 50!

langleybaston
25th Aug 2016, 16:09
Our first Weber disgraced itself "in the middle" in Portadown Way, JHQ. In summer there was a weekly gathering of the willing, under an old brake chute strung between the trees.

To save drinking time most people lit up at home an hour before the trysting time and then trundled the cooker out into the middle.

As did I, not noticing the wobbly leg .............. which fell off at the critical moment and spilled the fuel onto the dry grass and set it alight.

Most of Portadown were too busy laughing to do much fire fighting.

The current bright red one exhibits similar vice but I am ready for the bugger. Once bitten twice shy.

BEagle
19th Sep 2016, 07:20
A commemorative firing up of the black orb will take place at BEagle Towers, as soon as the weather gods allow, to salute the passing of CoffmanStarter who is sadly no longer with us.

RIP

BEagle
23rd Sep 2016, 20:41
And indeed the ceremony took place.

I hope that CS spotted the commemorative smoke, flames and general barbi' mayhem from his place in A Better Place and raised a wry smile.

sittingstress
24th Sep 2016, 17:04
I had the same idea Beags but the weather has turned sour here. Maybe next weekend will be better.

Although he literally has the moral high ground now he is still a gassist and I shall raise a plastic glass of Babycham to him :)

BEagle
24th Sep 2016, 20:10
Hey...

u7RFYEe42VI

A toast to the late CS!

BEagle
9th Apr 2017, 16:27
The sun is shining, the grass has risen and the birds have announced that Spring is well and truly here!

So today the trusty black orb has emerged from hibernation to salute the season. Nothing too ambitious today though - just some Boche-nosh of Bratwurst mit Bratkartofflen und Senf, washed down with Hefe-Weißbier of course!

Cooked over lumpwood charcoal, not that fuel of Satan's backside...:=

Pontius Navigator
9th Apr 2017, 16:40
Best stow it away again this evening.

Mind you, BiL used his massive gas range cooker last month in the rain as he is the one that cooks steak.

langleybaston
9th Apr 2017, 18:33
Max temp forecast was marginal here in S Lincs: lovely sunny day BUT overseas tours in hot places have thinned the blood. [The word is "nesh" in Yorkshire ............ I am nesh to the nth degree]

Settled for roast pork in the conservatory with the door open.

Anyway, the OFFICIAL start to BBQ season is/was 1st May, running to Christmas Day.

Lots of nice smells from braver neighbours sausage burnings though.

Roland Pulfrew
10th Apr 2017, 11:37
Anyway, the OFFICIAL start to BBQ season is/was 1st May, running to Christmas Day.

Bugger! May have gone off early then. As Channel 9 might have said the Shires were officially Scorchio on Sunday. Pre-season jet wash of the orb, followed by a couple of pints at the local and ended the day with chicken and steak over lumpwood! 2017 season currency check complete. :ok:

teeteringhead
10th Apr 2017, 11:43
Black orb to be rolled out for 2017 this weekend.

Son-and-heir, Teeterettes and Grand Teeters all assembling at Teetering Towers for Easter.

Even the veggie Teeterettte will get bbq-ed fishcakes - by way of lump wood charcoal of course!

Roadster280
10th Apr 2017, 12:38
Max temp forecast was marginal here in S Lincs: lovely sunny day BUT overseas tours in hot places have thinned the blood. [The word is "nesh" in Yorkshire ............ I am nesh to the nth degree]

Settled for roast pork in the conservatory with the door open.

Lots of nice smells from braver neighbours sausage burnings though.

Nonsense. All year round, thank you.

Admittedly less so when the clocks are not forward, but it's lovely to have the smell of charcoal on a cold winter day, and better yet to eat BBQ smoked food in the depths of winter. I wouldn't bother with it for a couple of sausages, but for a beef joint or a bird, it's very rewarding.

gearontheglide
10th Apr 2017, 12:40
Over here in the Fatherland it has been BBQable for over a month now and various cuts of the bovine and porcine kind have been suitably grilled.

Mate and Mrs mate from Blighty inbound to the Towers (Turms? / Schloß?) on Wednesday bearing gift of a leg of lamb. Thursday evening, the heady smell of BBQ'd lamb shall permeate through our small corner of Deutschland that shall forever (well temporarily) be British. :ok:

Roadster280 agree - a BBQ is not just for the summer - Grilling Christmas large fowl with snow falling is wonderful.

langleybaston
10th Apr 2017, 14:18
I did make the point that the season runs until Christmas.

My extended family all cook the Turkey [or whatever] on their Webers. It was the norm in JHQ because gas pressures fell abysmally on PutenTag .

tdracer
11th Apr 2017, 23:27
We've had one of the wettest winters on record around here (which is saying something for an area known for the "Seattle Rain Festival":}), with a lot of wind thrown in.
But it's finally starting to get better they've got some nice looking pork loins at Costco so the smoker will be getting some action soon - perhaps I can convince the wife that smoked pork loin is an appropriate Easter dinner :O

langleybaston
12th Apr 2017, 12:55
Pork loin is fabulous on the BBQ ........... best if it can be rotisseried I think.

Good luck, and, by the way, Eastern UK is having a very dry spell, such that the spring gardens are a bit careworn. Our aubretia, of which we have a great deal, usually lasts late March to late May, but is already looking a little past its prime.

As am I.

sittingstress
13th Apr 2017, 08:46
Orb and man fire deployed and serviceable here in the borders to the Eastern Flatlands.

The "gentleman" along the road has a gas fired implement. His lounge is also incredibly well dressed with colour coordinated soft furnishings.

Roland Pulfrew
13th Apr 2017, 09:25
Orb and man fire deployed and serviceable here in the borders to the Eastern Flatlands.

The "gentleman" along the road has a gas fired implement. His lounge is also incredibly well dressed with colour coordinated soft furnishings.

Sometimes I wish PPRuNe had one of those trendy "Like" or :ok: buttons.

salad-dodger
13th Apr 2017, 09:29
^^^ what he said, it made me chuckle too ^^^

13th Apr 2017, 11:14
Does he bowl from the pavilion end as well?.............

langleybaston
13th Apr 2017, 16:25
But he plays for the other team I understand.

Wander00
14th Apr 2017, 09:06
B@ggere - that's another keyboard.....

BEagle
14th Apr 2017, 10:36
Oh dear, it seems that the manufacturers of the manly black orb, fired by the only true fuel, have finally accepted that gas users need to have their limp-wristed apparatus available in the appropriate colour:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/pink%20barbi_zps4clk35xd.png (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/nw969/media/pink%20barbi_zps4clk35xd.png.html)

Perhaps the 'gentleman' with the colour-coordinated soft furnishings already has one though?

Roadster280
14th Apr 2017, 14:21
Oh dear, it seems that the manufacturers of the manly black orb, fired by the only true fuel, have finally accepted that gas users need to have their limp-wristed apparatus available in the appropriate colour:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/pink%20barbi_zps4clk35xd.png (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/nw969/media/pink%20barbi_zps4clk35xd.png.html)

Perhaps the 'gentleman' with the colour-coordinated soft furnishings already has one though?

You'll need a suitable apron to go with that :O

https://img0.etsystatic.com/039/0/9575774/il_340x270.610890468_rotl.jpg

14th Apr 2017, 21:34
I don't think that is in fact the style of apron that such 'gentlemen' might find attractive unless I have missed some subtlety in the 'downstairs' department.

BEagle
14th Apr 2017, 22:17
Indeed - the 'downstairs' area of that garment does seem to have something of a....Bugis Street element about it....:ooh:

The weather guessers don't seem to have conjured up much in the way of barbi' weather for the holiday weekend, sad to say...:hmm:

sittingstress
15th Apr 2017, 02:04

I shall not be returning to find out. Suffice to say the manner in which I discovered the quality interior decoration of his lounge shall remain confidential.

Yours very manfully

15th Apr 2017, 06:21
Doesn't count if you don't push back or after 3 days at sea as a Bootie once told me:)

langleybaston
15th Apr 2017, 12:49
If we aforesaid weather-guessers could make weather happen, we would always be right, rather than almost always.

[Beagle had to make do with our cast-offs and the B-team].

Happy Easter, victims.

18th Apr 2017, 14:30
Back to webers - I used some weber hickory wood chips (soaked for a couple of hours in water) and added them to the coals when using the indirect heat method to cook a whole chicken. The hickory taste was certainly there but the skin of the chicken was like leather, brown and tough - too much wood chip??

BEagle
18th Apr 2017, 14:59
And I thought that you'd admitted to liking a bit of brown...:ooh: ??

Chook has to be bone dry for the skin to crisp. You can faff about with a dry rub if you're feeling cheffy - using the beer can up the backside (of the chicken) technique also helps, I gather.

langleybaston
18th Apr 2017, 15:21
that's up the fowl's backside, as I understand it?

I am glad of the clarification by Beagle.

Relieved, one might say.

BEagle
18th Apr 2017, 17:23
Should you wish to attempt an alternative strategy, that would be entirely up to you...

Or perhaps that should read "..entirely up you"?

:ooh:

GlobalNav
18th Apr 2017, 18:18
You'll need a suitable apron to go with that :O

https://img0.etsystatic.com/039/0/9575774/il_340x270.610890468_rotl.jpg

I thought the "heat" was supposed to come from the coals, but apparently not. :eek:

GlobalNav
18th Apr 2017, 18:21
Back to webers - I used some weber hickory wood chips (soaked for a couple of hours in water) and added them to the coals when using the indirect heat method to cook a whole chicken. The hickory taste was certainly there but the skin of the chicken was like leather, brown and tough - too much wood chip??

I smoked a turkey last Thanksgiving and I think the use of a "mop" and basting every 40 minutes helped maintain the moisture.

Roadster280
18th Apr 2017, 20:51

Unlikely to be the smoking chips, they generally add flavor and that's it. Not enough of them to add any significant heat. Probably just a bit too warm in there. No higher than 350F is my rule for birds. Preferably, 300F for longer. And brine the bird overnight first.

Various double entendres are available :)

19th Apr 2017, 06:48
Thanks for the replies - I have done plenty of turkeys and chickens on the weber before and had good results adding the woodchips in halfway through the cooking.

This time I put the woodchips in right at the beginning and wonder if that much smoke, before the skin has had a chance to cook, just turned it into a kipper.

The meat itself was nice and moist (fnarr) so the temperature (about 170 deg C) must have been OK.

I'll go back to adding the woodchips halfway through and see if normal service is resumed.

And, just for Beagle - I'll try to force a bit less wood into the hot bits and hope the bird doesn't get too brown on the outside:)

SnowFella
19th Apr 2017, 08:38
Usually do my chooks up around 225C and they come out with nice and crispy skin so it likely wouldn't be to hot. Though I'm not a webber user, rather an Akorn Kamado user.

As for violating the poor bird with a beercan up the clacker, only real benefit is having the bird standing up as it cooks. Whatever is in the beercan won't really add anything to the flavour. Once tried it with a chilli mix that could of stripped paint and didn't get a hint of chilli flavour in the meat.

For a chook I just brine it for 5 odd hours the afternoon before (salt, brown sugar and some spices) and then rinse and park it upright in a bowl in the fridge overnight to dry out the skin. Light touch of olive oil to make the spices stick to the skin and in it goes on a beercan stand sans the can of beer.

19th Apr 2017, 18:01
Snowfella - you and Roadster both mention brining - is it as simple as soaking the bird in salt water or is it rubbing the skin with salt to dry it out?

SnowFella
20th Apr 2017, 00:00
Fully soaking it mate. Leave mine in a zip-lock bag with enough water, with salt, brown sugar and some spices, to fully cover the bird for around 5 hours before rinsing it off and drying the skin off in the fridge overnight.

The brine helps tenderizing the meat and also adds some moisture and flavour.

The brine mix I tend to use, cut from another site.
Gourmet BBQ Brined Chicken
This is without a doubt one the best chicken recipes you will ever try. You can also adapt it for the Xmas Turkey simply double the quantity and brine the turkey for 8 hours instead of 4-5. The length of brining will determine the saltiness of the bird and how moist it will be, if you are going to smoke cook it, you could brine it for longer. My experience is 5 hours is perfect for chicken and 8 hours for a turkey.

1 #14 - #18 Chicken
Brine
1/4 cup salt (was 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup brown sugar ( was 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon ground garlic flakes
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 ½ litres water
Method
Mix brine ingredients together in a glass bowl Place chicken in a Ziploc bag and pour in brine solution. Seal and place in the fridge for 4-5 hours. Remove, rinse with fresh water, pat dry and stand upright over a dish or tray in the fridge overnight to let the skin dry.
Preheat the Q on high for 10 minutes. Roast the chicken indirectly on a roasting trivet

20th Apr 2017, 06:39
Excellent Snowfella, many thanks, I'll give it a try:ok:

SnowFella
20th Apr 2017, 09:23
Just don't do what I did once and nod off on the lounge after starting the brine, 4-5 hours turned into near 10 before I woke up and realized. That chook was a touch on the salty side :rolleyes:

Had 2 in a few days ago for an easter Sunday picknick with the family, turned out fairly ok.

As they went in. Just some chicken salt rubbed on the left and Portugese chicken spice on it's neighbour.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2868/33915127011_8fec54e123_b.jpg
(https://flic.kr/p/TEXTFa)DSC04903 (https://flic.kr/p/TEXTFa) by Johan Olsson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/153053144@N04/), on Flickr

Came out looking alright and still juicy
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2873/34004974656_4d47ea7d89_b.jpg
(https://flic.kr/p/TNUofu)DSC04907 (https://flic.kr/p/TNUofu) by Johan Olsson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/153053144@N04/), on Flickr

Roadster280
20th Apr 2017, 14:49
I use a similar but larger brine solution. The bird goes in a big covered pot, fully submerged in brine, and then in the fridge overnight.

I generally add some cheap bourbon to give it a bit of flavour too. I have a "Sittin Chicken", and it stands on that for an hour or so to warm up to room temperature and drain off any remaining brine. Spray with oil, rub with favorite mix and we're off to the races.

The rub has a small salt content too, but it doesn't really penetrate the skin too far. The rub provides subtle flavor nuances, rather than outright taste determination.

langleybaston
28th May 2017, 15:04
At last, the first proper BBQ of 2017!

Hitherto, mundane factors such as weather, idleness or pressing engagements has stymied us.

Lamb [the stink is OK out of doors, apparently. SWMBO objects to lamb cooked indoors]

Bratties/onion

Spare ribs

Corn on cob

Baby new potatoes and peppers etc, served hot in a little olio

Salad

Stella, Ozzie red.

Charp, watched recordings of England beating Safas last ball, Arsenal beating Chelsea .........
Pity about the Grand Prix though.

downsizer
28th May 2017, 17:11
Stella? Good god, disgusting swill water. :hmm::rolleyes:

Eau de Boeing
29th May 2017, 05:03
Stella Langley? I bet you watch ITV as well......

langleybaston
29th May 2017, 15:27
What is ITV please?

spooky3
19th Jun 2017, 11:58
Come on, i look forward to the Weber thread every year, the weather is good so lets hear the banter.:D

Lonewolf_50
19th Jun 2017, 12:50
The thread is alive and well here (http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/223303-my-beautiful-weber-92.html#post9785353).

ShyTorque
19th Jun 2017, 12:52
I no longer have the Weber. I've changed over to fuel injection.

Pontius Navigator
19th Jun 2017, 15:24
Too hot I guess.

langleybaston
19th Jun 2017, 15:52
We are too busy outside, catching a panic-tan and porking out.
Nice to be missed though.

Tankertrashnav
20th Jun 2017, 10:57
Lamb [the stink is OK out of doors, apparently. SWMBO objects to lamb cooked indoors]

That's odd, I had never heard of anyone complaining about the smell of lamb cooking until a couple of weeks ago, and now there's a second reference to it. The smell of lamb roasting (in an oven in our case) gets me drooling in anticipation of the succulent meat to come.

ShyTorque
20th Jun 2017, 11:39
As they went in. Just some chicken salt rubbed on the left and Portugese chicken spice on it's neighbour.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2873/34004974656_4d47ea7d89_b.jpg
(https://flic.kr/p/TNUofu)Oh look - a twin Chook Weber!

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
20th Jun 2017, 13:42
They look like headless frogs !

BEagle
20th Jun 2017, 13:50
Regrettably the only place where one can buy Bratwurst in this neck of the woods is a certain LoCo German owned supermarket....

Where I briefly went today, to buy more bratties for tonight's Feast of the Black Orb.

But I'm sure I spotted some lard-ar$ed Untermensch females waddling around the store with little Kylie and little Chlamydia in tow and another fairly imminent for both, who were the spitten image of those 40 DCOE creatures perched on the barbi'!

Carpenterfish
20th Jun 2017, 14:32
Those bratties any good? Local German fete guy won't touch them and insists his are imported from the fatherland....

langleybaston
21st Jun 2017, 08:39
I don't think there is anything to replace a brattie eaten standing at a schnelly, but the L*dl versions are acceptable.

The Morrisons ones would be disgusting if they tasted of anything at all. Never tried the competition though.

As a digression, German packet soups are in a class of their own. When we come back into UK after a Germany excursion, we import substantial numbers of bottles of sekt, and of Asbach. In addition to their superb taste, German soups make excellent packing to cut down the death-rattle of several dozen bottles ...............

gearontheglide
21st Jun 2017, 08:50
Even here in the Fatherland, Bratties from that certain LoCo chain are popular with the locals. The choice from other purveyors of Wurst are varied and one is doing ones best to sample the lot. However, Weisswurst and Sweet mustard is a taste experience that has so for defeated me :yuk:

Regular Bratties do need assistance from echte Mittlescharfer Senf for that genuine Schnelie experience though.

langleybaston
21st Jun 2017, 12:30
On the subject of varieties of wurst, there is [used to be?] a wicked variety which included cheese. An incautious prod with a fork could project a jet of molten cheese all over the victim. Never offer one to the boss, or the boss's wifey.

FinelyChopped
21st Jun 2017, 20:55
That'd be Käsewurst. A danger to anything it comes into contact with. A local supermarket (southern Germany) also offers the things as pigs in blankets, and my daughter can't get enough of 'em.

sittingstress
22nd Jun 2017, 10:49
Fellow Weber afficionados I have some sad news and I am in one hell of a quandary. Read my plight and please offer advice;

I have been planning my upcoming retirement (4.5 years hence) and made the decision to sell everything, buy a whacking great motor home and re-invade Europe. I intend to spend at least 18 months touring before returning to Blighty. I have picked my steed of choice (Burstner Elegance i910) and I am well into the research of the legalities of insurance, residence etc. All this is unimportant because I have noticed a perplexing option on the vehicle which is causing me extreme doubts about continuing the process.

I can have installed an "external gas point" which the salesperson explained was to facilitate the easy and regular BBQing which will inevitably take place. A gas powered BBQ? Laughingly I dropped him with a flurry of blows and left his establishment. However on returning to the house I did some reading and it became increasingly clear that a lot of camp sites are not too keen on proper BBQ'ers using the correct fuel. The correct fuel can be hard to find and is difficult to transport back to the vehicle on a bicycle. Ye Gods!

My options are now:

1. Purchase the option and a suitable BBQ thus accepting I am a turncoat and will probably need to wear a dress and attend a gender reassignment clinic in Thailand. Additionally the public use of said BBQ will admit to Europeans that I am one of them.

2. Ignore the option and maintain my natural English masculine superiority yet exclude myself from many sites.

Please help.

PS The option also includes a set of scatter cushions and 2Kg of pot pourri.

BEagle
22nd Jun 2017, 14:46
This is indeed a tricky situation for someone intent on becoming a new age gypsy...

First, make sure that the vehicle is kushti and not some cast off from the Third Reich when the external gas point was used in the opposite direction. Perhaps placarded "Achtung! Nur für Zyklon B!". Use of an orifice in other than the maker's intended direction would seem to be common amongst gas users though...:suspect:

The aversion to the only true fuel in some parts of Europe is probably because, as the summer progresses, the sites can become more inflammable than a London tower block as the trees and general bondhu become tinder dry.

There must be some website which lists those sites which allow you to use the only true fuel provided that you also take a couple of red boys, stored pressure water, for use in case of emergency? But if not, then I'm afraid that you'll be stuck with recycled bottled ar$e exhaust and getting in touch with your gay side? Or just say that you're temporarily using your kitchen cooker in the open air?

But you'll probably meet some 'interesting' friends who will admire your scatter cushions, pot pourri and chintz curtains....

langleybaston
22nd Jun 2017, 14:46
I should bite the bullet, concentrate on the product, not the production process.

Find a way to disguise the gas thingy: I suggest a strap-on replica of a big Weber to place between the onlookers and the thingy. Or, the cheapo option is a placard, saying in several relevant languages:

"This may look like a gas BBQ but it is an authentic charcoal-burning Weber in drag".

As a footnote, some 20 years ago [as a long-time Weber afficionado] I went to stay with friends in Australia. Not only did they have an ELECTRIC BBQ, just about all of their neighbours had lecky or gas ......... I never saw a proper BBQ either then or in 4 subsequent holidays.

langleybaston
22nd Jun 2017, 14:50
Even here in the Fatherland, Bratties from that certain LoCo chain are popular with the locals. The choice from other purveyors of Wurst are varied and one is doing ones best to sample the lot. However, Weisswurst and Sweet mustard is a taste experience that has so for defeated me :yuk:

Regular Bratties do need assistance from echte Mittlescharfer Senf for that genuine Schnelie experience though.

Have you tried Kaisersenf? Whole grain mustard and best top strength horseradish in proprtions about 4 to 1? We mix our own, being cut off from Monschau where we used to purchase.

tdracer
23rd Jun 2017, 03:52
Grilling on a Weber heated by that evil substance is still better than most kitchen prepared food - just don't call it BBQ (BBQ is slowly smoked over low heat for several hours - not what you do on a grill).
I'd suggest you get something like a Weber Smokey Joe:
Weber Smokey Joe Portable Charcoal Grill-10020 - The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Smokey-Joe-Portable-Charcoal-Grill-10020/202818702?&cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|B|0|B-BASE-D28I+Grills|&mid=rqOybULN|dc_mtid_8903vry57826_pcrid_73873450790550_pkw__ pmt__)
When you're somewhere that they allow proper charcoal grilled food, break it out. Otherwise make do with that propane powered thing - it's still better than frying...

BTW, best brats I ever tasted was when I raced at Road America, Wisconsin many years ago. After we were done racing for the day, they had a brat feast. I was late - I had to address some mechanical issues in preparation for the next day's racing - and they were closing up but I still managed to get one brat. Brat, bun, a touch of good mustard - fantastic! Sadly I have no idea where they sourced their brats so I don't know where to get more.

gearontheglide
23rd Jun 2017, 06:13
Have you tried Kaisersenf? Whole grain mustard and best top strength horseradish in proprtions about 4 to 1? We mix our own, being cut off from Monschau where we used to purchase.

Now that sounds tasty! One shall have a furkle in the various emporia in the region.

son of brommers
23rd Jun 2017, 07:46
Depending on available space, you could always opt for one of the bi-fuel machines that are available..........................curious?

ex-fast-jets
23rd Jun 2017, 11:46
Definitely get the external gas connection - plus a lengthy gas pipe so you can position your BBQ downwind such that the smoke drifts onto your neighbour's pitch, rather than detracting from the smell of your pot pourri.

Bit worried about this bicycle thing though - if it's a proper sized motorhome, you really should be towing a Smart.

tdracer
30th Jun 2017, 22:27
Put a "Sittin Chicken" (aka beer butt chicken) in the smoker about an hour ago, along with some chicken/bacon sausage I picked up at Costco. The sausage is strategically placed such that any drippings will fall on the Sittin Chicken :ok:.
Planning for a four hour smoke at ~100 deg. C - it should be tasty!

FOGII
30th Jun 2017, 23:15
Sitting,

Similar problem while being stationed in Japan and living out in town. Wood was not allowed due to fire hazards (plus hard to obtain).

My solution was a three burner gas grill with both regular gas burners and IR burners. Add wood smoker boxes with wood chips of choice. Mostly steak, beer butt chicken, and pork ribs.

Set up one side with gas burner and smoker boxes. Put meat on far side over IR burner.
Use only the gas burner underneath the smoker boxes for majority of cooking.

Beer butt chicken and rice I take out burner underneath the chicken and collect the drippings in a pan to reduce and add to the rice. When the chicken is done take it off to let rest. Re-install IR burner and heat up drippings for sauce of choice, let’s you burn excess off the grate, reduce/finish the drippings, and rest the meat.

Steak and ribs similar. Just use the IR grill for final sear.

Enjoy the experimentation.

S/F, FOG

ACW418
2nd Jul 2017, 15:03
ss

As a regular charcoal using Weber owner (two actually) my last two caravans have had one of the plug-in gadgets. In a weak moment I purchased a Safari Chef and I am ashamed to say it is very good. Webers are all very well but where do you put it in a motorhome/caravan? If you have a Go Outdoors handy they are not very expensive and are very convenient to use. Recent trip to Normandy it was used every night excluding the one with a Mother of All Thunderstorms.

ACW

tdracer
30th Oct 2017, 04:37
Local grocer put pork roasts on special, so I picked up a pork loin (actually two - one's in the freezer for later).
An overnight soak in salt water, a dry rub with Louisiana Cajun Spice and "Dillow Dust" seasonings, then 4 1/2 hours in the smoker at ~220 deg. F with 'fresh' apple wood smoke (I'd just trimmed the apple tree in the back yard so I had a good supply). It was so tender I literally cut it with a fork and the taste was, well...
http://1.darkroom.shortlist.com/980/29728416b571fd7eeb5294ecd7eeb664:1fb5eb9384da66966608d067443 9714e/excellent.jpg

langleybaston
30th Oct 2017, 16:20
Oh Oh! Nostalgia already, but the red peril is under its cover until 9th December, when the belated extended family St Nicholas Day get -together will surely provoke me. Its quite happy to be trundled into the garage [door open] if its master is feeling his age.

langleybaston
17th Dec 2017, 15:37
BBC Headline and article:

Can you cook your entire Christmas dinner on a BBQ?
British BBQ champion Scott Lane from Leicestershire has cooked Christmas dinner on a barbecue for the past nine years.

It includes Brussels sprouts, roast potatoes and glazed parsnips on the grill.

SO ?

DirtyProp
17th Dec 2017, 16:21
Just reminding everybody of the proper procedure before firing up the grill:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2duht9v.jpg

BEagle
17th Dec 2017, 18:56
British BBQ champion Scott Lane from Leicestershire has cooked Christmas dinner on a barbecue for the past nine years.

Over the one true fuel too, not that unnatural breath of Satan's bottom!

Sadly my trusty blackfellow is keeping the mower and strimmer company at the back of the garage till spring be upon us! In about 4 months :sad:...

langleybaston
17th Dec 2017, 19:50
That is perilously close to a weather forecast and exposes you to obloquy and mockery .............. I do know a lot about that.

BEagle
17th Dec 2017, 21:27
About the only element of weather-guessing of which one can be certain for next spring is the time of sunrise and sunset.

Here the sun will rise at 06:07 GMT and set at 18:20 on the vernal equinox - whereas in gloomy December, today it struggled to rise at 08:07 and collapsed with the effort at 15:57....

Anything else requires beetles, fir cones, mumbling, staring at tephigrams and blaming 'waves', 'occlusions' or 'complex areas of low pressure' - all of which guesses will still be wrong!

'A moist unstable westerly air mass will affect the central area....' = 'Yes, it's England!'

4mastacker
17th Dec 2017, 22:03
What's the sauce that bloke's basting the sausages with?

MrBernoulli
19th Apr 2018, 10:58
What's the sauce that bloke's basting the sausages with?

Holy Mesquite-infused water? ;)

This morning I rolled my veteran, all-original, Weber 22.5-inch* One-Touch kettle barbecue out of the shed, for the first time this year, in preparation for some sunshine cooking - yay!

[*For the metricated amongst you, 22.5 inches is 57 cm.]

I purchased this barbecue in the BX at Lajes AFB in 1991, them being the days when the Weber kettle barbecues were relatively rare, and a lot more expensive, in the UK. Given that it will be 27 years old this year, it has done damn well!! I have a very vague recollection that I paid the equivalent of £90, or was it US$90? Today they go for £169.99 direct from Weber UK (https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/original-kettle-series-/1341504.html?cgid=217#start=1).

Anyway, I have again been admiring it's classic lines, with wooden side and lid handles (thankfully not the grey plastic variety that Weber replaced them with ...) and 'aluminium hubcap' ash catcher. I am pretty sure the posher, enclosed ash catcher as seen on the more recent Master-Touch series didn't exist at the time.

Does anyone else ever line the interior of the kettle with kitchen foil, to reduce cleaning effort? I place 3 or 4 strips of foil from the charcoal grate upwards to the rim of the kettle (folded over the rim), just to save time and effort on the cleaning of the interior - works well. Of course, you still need to clean below the charcoal grate, including the One-Touch ash sweeping vanes.

Roll on lunch time! :ok:

BEagle
19th Apr 2018, 12:41
Hi, MrB! Great minds think alike - my trusty blackfellow was woken up fromLhibernation on Monday, which was also the occasion of the first Flymo walking session of 2018.

Mine is smaller than yours :ooh: at only 47cm (or for brex****ters, 0.0023364 of your Little Englander furlongs). But it has the clever ash catching thing, a vast improvement over that blasted hubcap on spring clips of my original version - which was also bought in a BX and lasted around 24 years before succumbing to wobbly front leg syndrome and daylight around the leg supports about 6 years ago.

First light-up will be this evening and will be accompanied by a litre stein of Hefe-Weißbier, I think!

For some odd reason, Weber seems to have stopped selling the 47cm One-Touch Premium model with the ash-catcher though :confused:... Bearing in mind that the volume of a Weber is proportional to the cube of the diameter, the 57cm model needs much more charcoal than the 47cm model!

MrBernoulli
19th Apr 2018, 15:14
Hi, Beags! My Weber is in remarkably good nick for it's age, still competely steady on it's aluminium legs. There are a handful of tiny spots on the lid exterior where the black porcelain coating has been chipped, and the chrome base triangle between the legs has a somewhat rusty surface. But the base of the kettle is absolutely solid, no holes, and the One-Touch cleaner handle and vanes are sound. It certainly doesn't owe me anything!

I note that, in the UK, the 57cm Master-Touch, which has the enclosed ash catcher and a thermometer in the lid, at £269, is £100 more expensive than the current equivalent to mine, the 'Original' kettle series version! Blimey, thats an expensive ash catcher and/or thermometer! :ooh: And if you want the Special Edition, which is merely a red paint job (otherwise it is available in black and 4 other colours ...), you pay £299. Holy whats-its - another £30 for the red, why?

Have just returned from a trip to Houston (we departed IAH on the very day, 48 years ago, that Apollo 13 splashed down!) where I met another pilot who is this week expecting delivery of a new, leviathan, gas-powered £1000 monster Weber. :yuk: He was very excited about getting to grips with the Weber iGrill app on his phone, which will tell him the temperature of his steaks whilst he sits and supps his beer. Ho hum, horses for courses, LOL!

Anyway, a great lunch has been consumed, accompanied by 8/8 blue skies and several glasses of fizzy, so I really have no need to be anything but chilled!

EESDL
19th Apr 2018, 17:01
Admiration to you Weber Stalwarts/diehards.
My last Adana BX-bought Weber (thrown in as a deal with the trampoline that adorned all Truckie gardens) did not recover from the last house move - it has been reduced to surviving as a mere patio heater for those long evenings spent talking rubbish after the sun has vanished.
I succumbed to the built-in gas-fired monstrosity just to keep Missus Eesdl happy - she thought it was ‘progress’ but I think we all know how wrong she got it.

langleybaston
19th Apr 2018, 18:25
BWeberbugger!

First one of the season midday today and I then made the mistake of bragging on Wotsit to middle daughter.

"We are having our second one this evening!"

We kicked off with truly excellent Bocks from Lidl [actually more tasty on the BBQ than Bratties IMHO.]

jindabyne
19th Apr 2018, 18:38
The fantastic gas griller was about to surface this weekend, until the good 'ole met office got it wrong, again. As with the pattern of the past five years, will probably have to wait another few weeks!

Go Gas:ok:

BEagle
19th Apr 2018, 18:53
But jindabyne, old blue noter, surely by now tha' knaws that 'tis grim oop Nawth? Hence barb'i opportunities are inevitably somewhat few and far between.

Anyway, my first spark up of 2018 went well, as did the Paulaner Hefe-Weißbier. Memo to self - more from Mr. Magestic needed!

I've also found a source for 47cm Weber One-Touch Premium grills - amazon des Deutschen Reiches still has one - but for €299.97 :eek:!!

jindabyne
19th Apr 2018, 19:04
BEag,

Aa doos knaw that 'tis grim oop Nawth. 'Tis far better in Calahonda and Canberra; but 'twer int' other lives. And 'ere Aa bees.

langleybaston
19th Apr 2018, 20:34
Those in the north of England can be comforted: its not Scotland.
I went there twice; the second time was to see if my first impressions were correct.

19th Apr 2018, 20:51
I fired my Weber up for the first time this season yesterday. It was bought in the Rheindahlen BX in 1988. The main problem is that my local sainsbury's sell charcoal that is 99% smoke, just to annoy the neighbours, so I'm having to think about succumming to a gas monster....

langleybaston
19th Apr 2018, 21:15
Looks like your monster is the same as mine, and we bought ours in the JHQ PX [not an impressive emporium] 2 years after you. We ran a Smoky Joe for years as a sidekick, but it has gone to Weber heaven.

Stick with it!

I do have gas as a backup/ supplement for a big thrash [the Bell Ringers annual BBQ is for about 25 souls] and also for very spontaneous quickies, but there is nothing like a Weber meal.

tdracer
20th Apr 2018, 04:06
I note that, in the UK, the 57cm Master-Touch, which has the enclosed ash catcher and a thermometer in the lid, at £269, is £100 more expensive than the current equivalent to mine, the 'Original' kettle series version! Blimey, thats an expensive ash catcher and/or thermometer! And if you want the Special Edition, which is merely a red paint job (otherwise it is available in black and 4 other colours ...), you pay £299. Holy whats-its - another £30 for the red, why?
You guys need to do a better post Brexit trade deal with The Donald - I did a quick Amazon check and the basic 22" Weber Kettle grill goes for $99 - the red special edition you noted was $149 - both with free shipping (I'm on Amazon Prime). That's easily half what you're quoting even with the dropping value of the pound.
I did another pork loin in the smoker last weekend - threw in some chicken thighs as long as I had the thing going. Pork was really good, but the chicken may have been even better (pork makes a better sandwich though).

MrBernoulli
20th Apr 2018, 08:20
If there is anyone out there seeking a change from bratwurst, find yourself a butcher that stocks boerewors, a sausage that comes from South Africa. Boerewors, translated, literally means 'farmer's sausage' (no sniggering at the back ...). Made properly, it contains a coarse-ish mix of quality meats together with aromatic spices such as coriander seed, cloves, nutmeg, pepper and allspice. It is perfect for barbecues. How do I know this? I may just have been born and raised in African climes. :ok:

... so I'm having to think about succumming to a gas monster....
Noooooooooooo!:eek: And there are always other sources of charcoal!

And what is that 'spike' in the lawn next to your 'racing red' Weber. Were you grounding the thing in case of lightning strikes, LOL? I also see the temperature gauge next to the lid handle - that was available on a 1988 model?

You guys need to do a better post Brexit trade deal ...
tdracer, it has long been an issue here in the UK that we have had to deal with the rip-off culture. Those prices I quoted are straight off the official Weber UK website. Hunting around elsewhere on the web can produce discounts, but not at the levels you mention. Which is why my trusty Weber kettle was purchased in a USAF BX! C'est la vie!

PS: The last time I was up in Everett, during a layover in SEA, I was taking a drive up to the Mt Baker area, and stopped in at the Future of Flight Aviation Center for a little visit. The weather was like it was here yesterday (and today!) - horizon to horizon blue and temperature in the mid-20s Celsius. I do envy your Washington state mountain and sea views when the weather is good ...... but there are other times when that Pacific Northwest weather is enough to drive a man to alcohol abuse! ;)

son of brommers
20th Apr 2018, 08:26
If there is anyone out there seeking a change from bratwurst, find yourself a butcher that stocks boerewors, a sausage that comes from South Africa. Boerewors, translated, literally means 'farmer's sausage' (no sniggering at the back ...). Made properly, it contains a coarse-ish mix of quality meats together with aromatic spices such as coriander seed, cloves, nutmeg, pepper and allspice. It is perfect for barbecues. How do I know this? I may just have been born and raised in African climes. :ok:It is indeed the sausage of the braai gods! Now, do we try and convert people onto pap and chakalaka?:ok:

"Braai is an art-form, BBQ is a form of cooking"

MrBernoulli
20th Apr 2018, 10:08
Now, do we try and convert people onto pap and chakalaka?:ok:

Chakalaka I can accept, but I have to admit that pap (sadza as it is known where I was raised) doesn't really 'turn my crank'. I suspect that your average Brit or American would not be overly impressed with it, but I acknowledge it's place in the southern African kultur! Horses for courses! ;)

It is a marvellous day out today in the southern UK, is it not? Do I fire up the Weber again? Hmmmm. Those of you from elsewhere on our Blue Marble might wonder why we enthuse so much about a couple of days of warmth and sunshine - it is rare here to sustain such weather, that is why. Ordinarily we might awake to blue skies, consider a barbeque, followed by a long walk with the dogs, only to find that within 30 minutes the wind has picked up and there is 8/8 cloud cover. And it remains so for the rest if the day.

I do miss those wide open African skies and empty spaces ....... but I don't give a damn for African politics. :}

Tech Guy
20th Apr 2018, 13:28
Does anyone else ever line the interior of the kettle with kitchen foil, to reduce cleaning effort? :

Cleaning the BBQ! :eek:

Stuff some extra charcoal in there, go for a beer and everything will eventually burn off. :ok:

BEagle
20th Apr 2018, 14:22
I must admit that it did cross my mind that MrBernoulli isn't the sort of chap I'd normally have thought would be overly fussed about barbi' cleaning....

Once the whirly spinny thing has got most of the ash into the catcher and I've emptied it, I just take off the grid, give the inside a quick brush down and then turn the black orb upside down over the wheelie bin.... Every few months being sufficient.

Regarding Saffa delicacies, there's a place near here called Farmoor Stores which sells boerewors, biltong, ostrich, buffalo and zebra steaks - even braai pap. Perhaps also popcorn, chewing gum, peanuts an' bubble gum, ice cream, candy floss an' eskimo pie? Or even n***** balls an' licorice, Pepsi Cola, ginger beer and Canada Dry?

MrBernoulli
20th Apr 2018, 18:06
Cleaning the BBQ! :eek:I must admit that it did cross my mind that MrBernoulli isn't the sort of chap I'd normally have thought would be overly fussed about barbi' cleaning....The point of the kitchen foil is to make cleaning easier at the end of the barbecue season, prior to the kit being covered and tucked away at the back of the shed. Cleaning helps to prolong the life of the barbeque, and I offer my 27 year old Weber as evidence of that! ;)

Regarding Saffa delicacies, there's a place near here called Farmoor Stores which sells boerewors, biltong, ostrich, buffalo and zebra steaks - even braai pap. Perhaps also popcorn, chewing gum, peanuts an' bubble gum, ice cream, candy floss an' eskimo pie? Or even n***** balls an' licorice, Pepsi Cola, ginger beer and Canada Dry?
LOL, Beags, fancy you being familiar with Jeremy Taylor? "Ag pleez Daddy won't you take us to the drive-in ..."

On my way home from a trip I sometimes stop in at Farmoor stores, to pick up a stick of biltong and some droewors!

BEagle
20th Apr 2018, 18:59
A schoolmate in the late '60s was from Rhodesia and brought 'The Ballad of the Southern Suburbs' back to school one term.

Even then the expression 'n****r balls' wasn't allowed! Later, snowflake-friendly versions of the song use 'Snicker bars' instead...:rolleyes:

langleybaston
20th Apr 2018, 20:44
Even then the expression 'n****r balls

surely there is an * missing? Or are we not on the subject of Gibson's dog lacking something?

tdracer
20th Apr 2018, 22:38
PS: The last time I was up in Everett, during a layover in SEA, I was taking a drive up to the Mt Baker area, and stopped in at the Future of Flight Aviation Center for a little visit. The weather was like it was here yesterday (and today!) - horizon to horizon blue and temperature in the mid-20s Celsius. I do envy your Washington state mountain and sea views when the weather is good ...... but there are other times when that Pacific Northwest weather is enough to drive a man to alcohol abuse!
Sorry for the thread drift - but if you're in the Seattle area again, you can do far better than the Future of Flight museum - you can even do much better at Paine Field. The Seattle Museum of Flight is located at the southern end of Boeing Field and is very, very good - IMHO, in the USA second only to the USAF Museum in Dayton and the two Smithsonian Aviation museums around the other Washington.
Around Paine Field in Everett there is the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor museum (Paul Allen of Microsoft fame's private collection turned into a museum) at the south west end of the airport. On the south east side of the airport is the Historic Flight museum - much smaller than the Flying Heritage museum but still has some really cool aircraft (mainly WWII vintage). My understanding is that Historic Flight is also some rich guy's private collection - but they're rather coy about who it is. They just don't have that outdoor deck view that the Future of Flight does (been to a few parties on that deck at the Future of Flight - it is a wonderful view on a nice day).

BEagle
21st Apr 2018, 07:24
And if you do go to Seattle, visit Microsoft and give the geek who inflicts Windows 10 upgrades upon us a hearty kick in the slats!

Could it be another black orb day today? The weather-guessers are predicting showers later today, so who knows?

langleybaston
21st Apr 2018, 14:52
Take no notice of them ............ all gone downhill since, shall we say, 1997.
Can't think why.

son of brommers
23rd Apr 2018, 07:47
A schoolmate in the late '60s was from Rhodesia and brought 'The Ballad of the Southern Suburbs' back to school one term.

Even then the expression 'n****r balls' wasn't allowed! Later, snowflake-friendly versions of the song use 'Snicker bars' instead...:rolleyes:

On that note, Wrex Tarr would have been a hit too! Very non-PC nowadays............................:mad:

Basil
23rd Apr 2018, 09:09
Ag pleez deddy .. .. .. Takes me back a few years.
Getting on thread, Mrs B doesn't trust my BBQ skills; must be because it's an old gas job (the BBQ).

tartare
23rd Apr 2018, 09:48
Clean it????!!!
That would eliminate 99 per cent of the seasoning and conditioning.
Once one fires up said outdoor oven - heat is increased to max briefly to kill any nasties.
Then smoke from accumulated barbies past lends delicate flavour to whatever is being cooked... ;)

MrBernoulli
25th Jun 2018, 19:58
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/500x677/bbq_20180625_e26c764de6110e43dd4fb1e06ea84a4ed80beb90.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/905x500/helo_formation_20180625_8fb6da5cb8942ebeb2e66cc65cd78ed85610 b5d7.jpg

A nice day for a barbeque, was it not? With horizon to horizon blue, and the thermometer steadily climbing throughout the day, the answer was a resounding “Yes”! So the shed doors were flung open and out came Mr Weber’s finest 22-and-a-half inch kettle, and various charcoal arranging/lighting (none of your gas nonsense here!) and cooking activities ensued. We had already consumed the small pepper-encrusted steaks and pork and ginger burgers, and whilst I was working on the next round of minted lamb kebabs and sweet chilli sausages, I became aware of a low frequency beat, rapidly rising in volume, somewhere off to the east.

In just a few seconds our afternoon reverie was shattered as over the ridge came a loose, low level formation of HM’s RAF eggbeaters – 3 Pumas with 6 Chinooks right behind! A lone Puma trailed the formation at a short distance – perhaps this singleton was the camera/spare/whip ship? One of the Chinooks was clearly wearing the 28 Sqn 100th Anniversary scheme.

What a racket! They circled the village and disappeared back east over the ridge, and the now less obtrusive sounds indicated they had likely landed at RAF Little Rissington. Shortly thereafter the idling engines could be heard winding up again, and a repeat audio thrashing of the village ensued, but this time the formation of nine was much tighter and neater, and they continued west out of sight.

My attention had, of course, not been entirely focussed on the barbecue in those few minutes so the kebabs, in particular, suffered from being rather well done on one side, ha ha! No matter, as they ended up tasting just fine, and with the sounds of rural Gloucestershire returning to normal once more, we resumed our afternoon relaxation, finishing off the meal with a rather good rhubarb, strawberry and orange pavlova. The entire meal was, of course, helped down with a very pleasant bottle of medium dry cava!

Cheers to the rotary folks, and thanks for the chest-thrumming, ear-slapping flypasts! Do I need to put in a heads-up call to RAF Benson or RAF Odiham for when I next have a barbecue? ;-)

BEagle
26th Jun 2018, 15:24
Looks like you bought the same set of barbi' tools from a BX which I once bought, MrB! The knife which came with the set looked like it would have been suitable for disembowelling a small dinosaur and would doubtless be illegal these days. Mine is no more as I broke it when trying to hack down an ivy branch with it. The burger flipping jobber and fork weren't a lot of use either and I've only got the tongs left now - another classically useless 'route steal'!

Those clattering things didn't come this way though, but quite a rare and unusual sight to see any 9-ship except RAFAT these days. On the subject of spinning things, Weber tell me that the excellent ash-catching device is no longer available on the 47 cm model (that's 0.00234 furlongs for Brex****ters who hate metric), which seems rather daft as it makes life very much easier than the infernal hubcap and finger pinching spring clips.

Anyway, the trusty black orb will be back in use again this evening!

RedhillPhil
26th Jun 2018, 22:03
Looks like you bought the same set of barbi' tools from a BX which I once bought, MrB! The knife which came with the set looked like it would have been suitable for disembowelling a small dinosaur and would doubtless be illegal these days. Mine is no more as I broke it when trying to hack down an ivy branch with it. The burger flipping jobber and fork weren't a lot of use either and I've only got the tongs left now - another classically useless 'route steal'!

Those clattering things didn't come this way though, but quite a rare and unusual sight to see any 9-ship except RAFAT these days. On the subject of spinning things, Weber tell me that the excellent ash-catching device is no longer available on the 47 cm model (that's 0.00234 furlongs for Brex****ters who hate metric), which seems rather daft as it makes life very much easier than the infernal hubcap and finger pinching spring clips.

Anyway, the trusty black orb will be back in use again this evening!

I'm an 18.5" man, Furlongs are so yesterday.

langleybaston
27th Jun 2018, 16:31
Boasting!

as for those spring clips, the wheeze is to rotate one around the Weber leg, thus freeing up the hubcap ready to drop ash all over the patio.

tartare
27th Aug 2018, 05:58
Woodists and charcoalists take note:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/esoc-cwc082318.php
Those that cook with the breath of Satan's bottom shall outlast ye...

tdracer
27th Aug 2018, 18:35
Woodists and charcoalists take note:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/esoc-cwc082318.php
Those that cook with the breath of Satan's bottom shall outlast ye...

We've had issues with air quality around the Puget Sound area off and on for the last several weeks due to numerous wildfires in British Columbia and eastern Washington state (reportedly over 500 wildfires in BC :eek:). News said Seattle air quality was worse than Beijing...
There have been several days where the air quality was so bad that charcoal/wood fire cooking was banned. :=
Satan's breath was still allowed...:p

tartare
28th Aug 2018, 06:42
...presumably one could hang one's spare ribs in the open air and get roughly the same effect...?

Straight Dave
25th Feb 2019, 05:31
Hi guys, I’m new here so building my post count so I can eventually post URLs, which in the main will mostly be YouTube clips of some of the greatest Winston Churchill speeches.

Anyway, I’m really into BBQ and recently bought a Pro Q Elite smoker.

I’ve had one descent low and slow pork shoulder from it in 10 attempts.

I’m struggling to maintain temp for long enough to cook the meat and losing patience. This normally occurs after 7 hours plus.

Question is, do you smoke meat, if so how?!

Any advice appreciated. Thanks gents.

Saintsman
25th Feb 2019, 08:37
Perhaps you should add a shot of Avtur...

NutLoose
25th Feb 2019, 10:07
This might help, all things BBQ

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/223303-my-beautiful-weber.html?highlight=weber

F-16GUY
25th Feb 2019, 11:06
Hi guys, I’m new here so building my post count so I can eventually post URLs, which in the main will mostly be YouTube clips of some of the greatest Winston Churchill speeches.

Anyway, I’m really into BBQ and recently bought a Pro Q Elite smoker.

I’ve had one descent low and slow pork shoulder from it in 10 attempts.

I’m struggling to maintain temp for long enough to cook the meat and losing patience. This normally occurs after 7 hours plus.

Question is, do you smoke meat, if so how?!

Any advice appreciated. Thanks gents.

SD,

I also started out with the Pro Q Excel smoker. From my experience you should always use good quality briquettes like Heat Beads. Du not use charcoal or coconut shell charcoal as they do not contain enough energi and tend to give you more ash then heat. Save the charcoal to the day when you step up your game and acquire a kamado grill.
In the Pro Q I will normally smoke the meat for 16 to 18 hours with the temp gauge in the lid around 105-110 degrees celsius. I will start op by filling about 10kg of Heat Beads stacked in the minion method mixed with lumps of wood (smoke). If its cold outside I might have to fill 4 or 5 more kg of Heat Beads in the basket after 10 or 12 hours. While doing that I will remove all the ash as it clogs up the air circulation. If you want a tool to help you maintain a steady temperature, you need something like the Flame Boss Pit controller that I've got. Pretty neat kit but expensive.
Normally I will check the water level every 4 to 5 hours. It normally takes some refills during the cook.
Hope my tips are useful.

Minion metod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6bit_h--lg
Flame Boss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuokni5TOL8

MATELO
25th Feb 2019, 11:31
The quickest and best method I have found for cooking stuff is to reheat it

SASless
25th Feb 2019, 11:48
We use either electric or propane style Smokers in this part of the world.

Wood Pellet Smokers come in third place.

The real difference is whether you want to cold smoke or cook and smoke....where keeping the Temperature down to 250 degrees F or less for Cold Smoke.

Cold works better for fish and other delicate food items... and hot smoke works better for red meats...beef, pork, goat.

Hit that shopping place named after a South American River and do some searching.

Charcoal fuel is not a choice by the way.

Here is a good place to start as well.....the important thing is to read the Reviews/Ratings and consider what kind of smoking you are wanting to do.

https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-grills-smokers/bbq-smokers

My next investment for my Cottage at the Coast is this Gas Grill.....built locally and comes with a Life Time Warranty on the Gas Burner.

The Builder will ride his Harley to your front door and replace the burner if it every goes bad.

Perhaps not if you live on the other side of a saltwater divide.

We take our cooking serious in these parts!

https://www.grillmangrills.net

tdracer
25th Feb 2019, 16:39
I like good smoked meats - pork (ribs or loin), chicken and turkey, heck just about anything is tasty if properly smoked.
I'd struggled with getting good results until my sister gave me one of these for Christmas a while back:
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20071117-Digital-Electric-Smoker/dp/B01JGF97D0/ref=sr_1_6?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1551115887&sr=1-6&keywords=smoker

It's close to fool proof - you put in the prepped meat, put some water in the bottom pan, add some wood chips, set the desired cook temp and time, and push start. About once an hour I go and add some more wood chips - other than that just let it go until it's done.
Most stuff I smoke at between 200F and 220F, and between 3 and 6 hours. Have a good meat thermometer on hand just to make sure it's properly (i.e. safe) when you're done.

cavuman1
25th Feb 2019, 21:40
Hail and Well Met, Sir tdracer and other smoked meat aficionados!

My bride and I have exactly that same smoking apparatus and are pretty happy with it. We do eight to nine pound bone-in pork shoulders and four to five pound beef briskets for ~ 8 hours at 220-225 F. We rub the meat liberally with a top secret preparation and let it rest in the 'fridge for a day or two before throwing it into the smoker. I add hickory, apple, and/or cherry wood every hour and spray the roast with apple cider during the same interval. The result is delicious and pull-apart tender, but I am unable to obtain a nice darkened bark. Having given up cigarette smoking several years ago (and breathing cannulated oxygen 24/7 thanks to "Big Tobacco" and my own idiocy!), I need another proven carcinogen with which to flaunt the fates. "Outside" pork seems just the ticket! Are you able to suggest a methodology by which I can attain it? Perhaps the last hour of the smoke should be done at a significantly higher temperature? Any suggestions are appreciated, and do say hello to Mr. Gates for me.... :ok:

- Ed ;)

SASless
25th Feb 2019, 21:51
Cavu.......try this sometime and see how it works out.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/the-beefiest-juiciest-brisket-what-am-the-smokyokie-method-207187

cavuman1
26th Feb 2019, 01:48
Oh Epicurean SASless! That recipe looks fantastic! Apparently, the secret is searing the meat as a preliminary step, which makes nothing but sense. I'll give it a try as soon as spring arrives and let you know the result, Thank you so much for your considerate reply. :ok:

- Ed :)

son of brommers
26th Feb 2019, 13:11
At the beginning of last display season, a charcoal powered variant was added to supplement the now "historic" LPG Radiant. Sadly (depends on which side of the fence one sits), following a squadron relocation to a new base, the LPG suffered CAT5 damage as the result of a loadie not following the SOP and dropping it off a tail-lift. On the plus side, space has been created in the hanger and suggestions are invited for suitable short-range (2-3 engined) replacements.

tdracer
26th Feb 2019, 17:24
Hail and Well Met, Sir tdracer and other smoked meat aficionados!

My bride and I have exactly that same smoking apparatus and are pretty happy with it. We do eight to nine pound bone-in pork shoulders and four to five pound beef briskets for ~ 8 hours at 220-225 F. We rub the meat liberally with a top secret preparation and let it rest in the 'fridge for a day or two before throwing it into the smoker. I add hickory, apple, and/or cherry wood every hour and spray the roast with apple cider during the same interval. The result is delicious and pull-apart tender, but I am unable to obtain a nice darkened bark. Having given up cigarette smoking several years ago (and breathing cannulated oxygen 24/7 thanks to "Big Tobacco" and my own idiocy!), I need another proven carcinogen with which to flaunt the fates. "Outside" pork seems just the ticket! Are you able to suggest a methodology by which I can attain it? Perhaps the last hour of the smoke should be done at a significantly higher temperature? Any suggestions are appreciated, and do say hello to Mr. Gates for me.... :ok:

- Ed ;)

I wonder where BEagle is hiding - I depend on him jumping in to condemn any use of electricity or gas for outdoor cooking :O

sittingstress
27th Feb 2019, 04:41
I wonder where BEagle is hiding - I depend on him jumping in to condemn any use of electricity or gas for outdoor cooking :O

There is no need to wait for BEagle. I shall say it, the use of anything other than the correct BBQ fuel shows your hand as a supporter of Fiona Onasanya. Indeed I would hazard a guess you change your interior soft furnishings to match the season, and you are a sailor :)

ShyTorque
27th Feb 2019, 05:27
I no longer own a barbecue. All I’d say, for the sake of personal health, is enjoy but watch out for those PAHs and HCAs that can be the result of over cooked meat.

BEagle
27th Feb 2019, 09:01
Almost tempted to return my trusty blackfellow to operational service with the recent spell of nice weather - but the evenings aren't quite light enough, just yet.

Using the breath of Satan's arse for cooking is bad enough, but electricity for outdoor cooking? Why not just wheel the cooker out of the kitchen?

Poncing about with 'dry rubs' :ooh: and cooking half a dinosaur for a week seems to be something of a colonial thing - for a smoky taste I just bung some wood chips on the one true fuel and that works just fine.

Some years ago on a States Trainer, we flew back with a goodly number of Webers in the back. But there was also something which looked like a nuclear missile silo - it was some route-steal meat smoking device. I can just picture the rapturous welcome the owner's spouse would have given the wretched thing when she clapped eyes on 6ft of aluminium tube...

sittingstress
27th Feb 2019, 10:38
I can just picture the rapturous welcome the owner's spouse would have given the wretched thing when she clapped eyes on 6ft of aluminium tube...

Point of order, I was unaware spouses were allowed to make comment on any BBQ related topic. Please correct me if I am wrong, or if you are too scared to agree :)

SASless
27th Feb 2019, 10:50
I am pondering the notion a Brit can inform either Americans, Australians, or South Africans about how to do outdoor cooking.

In the past two months....I have attended the preparation of such meals beginning with the meat being on the Hoof to include both domestic and feral Hogs, Black Bear, Mule Deer, Elk, Clams, Oysters, Trout, Flounder, and Crabs.

I have seen them boiled, fried, smoked, grilled, stewed, roasted, and done using wood, propane, and electricity....even micro-waved but no charcoal.

So Beags.....tell us again how it is to be done!

The one thing my countrymen need educating upon is Beer!

I am trying to pass some of that along based upon my first hand study while living in the UK.

BEagle
27th Feb 2019, 10:55
How very ethnic and third-worldly!

Over here we have 'butchers' and 'supermarkets' who will readily supply whatever is to be sacrificed on the Black Orb. No need to go out with a club to despatch a passing dinosaur....

SASless
27th Feb 2019, 10:56
There is a very personal reason Beags endorses the protection of Dinosaurs I am thinking!

sittingstress
27th Feb 2019, 11:02
Agreed, one has staff to go and kill the food.

SASless you make mention of the term Brit. In this context it might worth pointing out I am English and therefore better in all respects then any of the damned skirt wearing log chuckers, daffodil snaffling sheep botherers or sunlight bereft funny hockey players. As for Americans, Australians and South Africans, when they can win a good game of conkers or cheese rolling they might be allowed an opinion.

tdracer
27th Feb 2019, 18:20
Poncing about with 'dry rubs' https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/icon25.gif and cooking half a dinosaur for a week seems to be something of a colonial thing - for a smoky taste I just bung some wood chips on the one true fuel and that works just fine.
BEagle, there is a very fundamental difference between 'grilling' with some wood smoke, and proper BBQ - done at very low temperature for several hours with smoke from various wood types. The results simply are not comparable.
While grilling can produce very tasty meat when properly done (and in general is quicker and more practical than actual BBQ), proper and well done BBQ is simply another level of delicious and has the extra advantage of being able to turn sub-par cuts of meat into mouthwatering meals.
Proper BBQ has enjoyed massive growth in popularity here in the colonies - a couple decades ago you needed to look long and hard to find good BBQ outside of the southeastern US (and if you walked in, and there wasn't a grisly old black guy doing or at least supervision the cooking, you probably wanted to go elsewhere). But today good BBQ is readily available in nearly everywhere in the US (for the best stuff you probably want to avoid the chains, although some of the chains such as 'Famous Dave's' do a decent job and have the advantage of consistency).
Next time you're on this side of the pond, you should check it out. As the old saying goes, don't knock it until you've tried it...

langleybaston
27th Feb 2019, 20:09
As far as I am concerned, a BBQ [the process, not the kit] is to provide good food in an attractive social context.
For some it borders on an obsession or a cult or a religious practice.

The ENGLISH weather being such, a BBQ is often a last minute decision, and squeezed in between monsoons. Thus we tend to be simple processors and consumers, rather than devotees, supplicants, acolytes and fanatics.

Relax with a beer, not a dead bear.

MrBernoulli
4th Mar 2019, 10:38
I am pondering the notion a Brit can inform either Americans, Australians, or South Africans about how to do outdoor cooking.
Not forgetting the Zimbabweans, they can do a good barbeque (when the wuckfits now running the country allow any food to be in the stores ......). And just for clarity, South Africa and Zimbabwe (the former Rhodesia) are not the same country, though I am still encountering folk who think one is a province of the other. :rolleyes:

The one thing my countrymen need educating upon is Beer! I am trying to pass some of that along based upon my first hand study while living in the UK.
I agree. Though in terms of variety, things certainly have improved in North America in the last 20 or so years. But why, oh why, do the micro brewery outlets insist on making the vast majority of their beers so damn alcoholically strong? I still travel regularly to cities all over North America and it annoys that often the more interesting flavoured beverages come with ABV (alcohol by volume) content that closely approaches that of wine, for Heaven's sake! How can anyone enjoy a couple of pints of 'wine' without falling over, and then having to give serious thought to whether one could end up unfit to operate the aircraft home the next day? :ooh:

The ENGLISH weather being such, a BBQ is often a last minute decision, and squeezed in between monsoons.
Got something against the English, have we? Because the weather in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales is always just so peachy? ;)

langleybaston
4th Mar 2019, 14:09
Got something against the English, have we? Because the weather in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales is always just so peachy?

Not so: I am English [don't claim to be British, both sides of family back to 1700 AD English solid] so would not dare to be rude about the weather of the outlying tribes.

langleybaston
24th Mar 2019, 18:26
On my way back home from bell ringing this Sunday morning, sun shining, birds singing, all the signs of spring were present: bees, ladybirds, butterflies, unseemly flesh on fat persons, the ice cream wagon.
I think I detected a strange stirring and rustling under the cover of Big Red One.
Better check the stocks.
Standing by.

BEagle
24th Mar 2019, 18:40
Flew back from Munich a couple of weeks ago; whilst in the airport I found some proper bratties - 10 of which have been in the freezer ever since, pending the next firing up of the trusty blackfellow. Using the only true fuel, of course!

condor17
24th Mar 2019, 20:30
Was working today , so BBQ not poss . Between sorties , fuelled behind an RV with a young couple .
Me '' Are you staying for a CA lunch ? 'cos queue is out the door into the carpark '' .
'' No , we've got to get back quickly . We've an hangar BBQ at our strip '' !

Best of all worlds ; taildragger RV , grass A/D , blue sky , sunshine and a BBQ to go back to .... Oh brain fade ....

Forgot to mention 'bootiful co-pilot .

rgds condor .

BEagle
22nd Apr 2019, 09:37
Well, the recent spell of great weather has caused my trusty blackfellow to emerge from hibernation again, at last!

Nothing too adventurous though, but the Munich bratties have proved to be very good indeed!

Might manage another session on Tuesday, but the weather-guessers with their beetles and fir cones seem to think that the usual UK spring weather will be back later in the week.... :(

langleybaston
22nd Apr 2019, 23:05
Totally missed out. Major family gathering in what resembled a commune/kibbutz ........ oldies and 3 branches of family and their children and children's partners and a total of three dogs. Great fun in Cambridgeshire but no BBQ.
Always another day.

langleybaston
1st Jun 2019, 22:14
At last!
Latest in a year ever since buying the first little smoky joe.
Disgraceful.

sandozer
4th Jun 2019, 17:27
As we all knew,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NgLK4WTUoE

Gas has a great place in our kitchens...... :)

sittingstress
6th Jun 2019, 08:57
sandozer

I cannot believe you have had the audacity to openly post a film showing 3 Dutchmen indulging in a meat feast! I have not seen such acts of disgracefulness since 2 x Sqn tours in RAFG in the 80's and 2 x FI tours (in the 80's). I must admit the quality is better than the VHS and then DVD items I was forced to watch, repeatedly.

Ye Gods I am outraged that such a heathen perversion as cooking with gas is now socially acceptable to view in public and is no longer consigned to secret gatherings of like minded individuals in back gardens, sheltered from view and with an abundance of car keys and pampas grass within easy reach.

I would write a letter to the PM however I cannot be bothered typing 11 copies.

Roadster280
7th Jun 2019, 17:47
Was pleased to see that they used charcoal and not the compressed-garbage briquettes. No nasty starting fluid either. Good deal!

BEagle
29th Jun 2019, 12:45
From this week's Which?: Charcoal barbecues beat gas for taste

Summer is here and it's great weather for a barbecue. Which? explains why charcoal has the edge when it comes to flavour.

See: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/06/charcoal-barbecues-beat-gas-for-taste/?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=3795773-C_WS_EM_290619_WK5 (https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/06/charcoal-barbecues-beat-gas-for-taste/?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=379577 3-C_WS_EM_290619_WK5)

To those unfortunates still cooking over the bottled breath from Satan's backside, I say "Read it and weep!".

Firing up the true black orb again tonight!

SASless
29th Jun 2019, 13:43
Webers......junk!

These are "grills"!

We know "grills" in this part of World!

https://grillmangrills.net/index.html

https://grillmangrills.net/images/EastWake1.jpg

BEagle
29th Jun 2019, 20:10
Good grief, not only do those things have arse-breath bottles attached, but also what I understand is a 'towing hitch'?

More likely to be found in travellers' camps than in civilised areas....

langleybaston
29th Jun 2019, 20:58
Good grief, not only do those things have arse-breath bottles attached, but also what I understand is a 'towing hitch'?

Gross! It looks like a communal planet polluting gathering, with yet another trundling in.

And what idyllic surroundings for a barbie!

Spare me.

farefield
30th Jun 2019, 07:32
My 30 year old Weber 22" has finally croaked but I noticed that Hilliers Garden centre has 20% off them at the moment. Offer until tomorrow. Bought one yesterday for £151.

Glevum
30th Jun 2019, 07:48
Weber + LOX, what could possibly go wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bjvj5FjUPE

tdracer
1st Jul 2019, 01:35

BEagle, big (and I mean big - usually used for commercial purpose) grills and smokers often have a propane burner to get the charcoal (or other wood) fire started quickly so they can get cooking quickly. Once the fire is going properly, they remove the propane burner. Having a towing hitch means they can move the thing to where the customers are.

BTW, I've never claimed propane tasted better, just that it's so much more convenient that I grill far more often than I would using charcoal - even grilling when it's cold and rainy outside. And grilled - even over dragon's farts - tastes better than cooking it on the stove...

SASless
1st Jul 2019, 12:47
The Grill that sets on my Porch....the Grill Beags and Baston denigrate so.....has a Charcoal Tray Insert for those occasions I entertain those who insist upon their Steak being "seared".

It also has a "Chip" tray for smoking roasts, poultry, fish, and other selections.

I can even bake on the grill....breads, pies, cobblers, whole fish, poultry.

Try that in your wonderful Webber....ever try to regulate the heat in one to provide a constant pre-determined heat and have any success?

We must remember...the British adopting anything American does not mean they get it right or do so without crafting their own idea of how it should be used.

For crying out loud....they even stock red canned Budweiser in Pubs and call it Beer!

There is no explaining some folks thinking on matters!

BEagle
1st Jul 2019, 13:46
Budweiser of the American variety is like making love in a canoe - f**k**g close to water.

Whereas the real Budweiser from České Budějovice which I once tried in the Czech Republic is excellent!

son of brommers
16th Aug 2019, 15:25
Despite the "glorious" weather, the red orb produced 2 magnificent slow cooked pork loins this weekend gone. Brined overnight in spiced molasses brine and then 2 hours indirect with whisky chips added for the first hour.
Discovery of the year, a meat thermometer, get the loins to 65C and then rest for 15 mins in tinfoil.

Lyneham Lad
16th Aug 2019, 19:27
Budweiser of the American variety is like making love in a canoe - f**k**g close to water.

As duty driver when hosting overseas colleagues one evening, ordering at the bar I requested an alcohol-free beer - the barman replied "sorry Sir, we have run out - pause - but we do have Budweiser..."

langleybaston
16th Aug 2019, 19:47
Budweiser. Having had a very few in various places non Czech, I bought half a dozen of the real thing in the home country, and slowly drank them on the hotel balcony. My wife put me to bed. There was a bottle or two not consumed.

As for BBQs, my sum total this calendar year is TWO. I seem to be always away from home when the weather is good, and planning a BBQ for when it turns out schlecht.

Perhaps the pine cones, seaweed and crystal ball should not have been returned to stores when I retired.

P1ssing down again as I write.

BEagle
4th Apr 2020, 15:51
Spring is sprung, the birds are a-tweeting and the purr of Flymos fills the air, about the only thing flying these days hereabouts!

But bugger Johnson, Brexit and Chinkypox, for 'tis time to liberate the trusty black orb from hibernation, spark up and celebrate the return of the barbi' season once more!

Waitrose have started selling bratties again - so Bratwurst mit Bratkartoffeln und Senf-Mayo it shall be! Mit ein Flasche Hefe-Weissbier!

MPN11
4th Apr 2020, 16:01
Just don’t invite anyone to join your family!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/680x383/2c125041_e715_4484_bc03_c72a6e311531_5eae277eb0ea9cabf833e67 12b3b3fb5f7e76ed8.jpeg

BEagle
4th Apr 2020, 16:26
I am aware of the government's restrictions, thank you.....:rolleyes:

'tis but a barbi' for one.

langleybaston
4th Apr 2020, 21:44
Beagle: good oh! but what kept you about 10 days ago? To be fair, we cooked al fresco a very similar menu and scoffed in the conservatory ....... with the heater on.

Lonewolf_50
5th Apr 2020, 17:36
Our restricted movements have forced me to rub down a sirloin steak, and prepare the Weber for grilling: dinner for two, and we still have some red wine on the rack.
Life could be worse.

ex-fast-jets
5th Apr 2020, 18:16
Here we go again - the emergence of antiquated charcoal orbs from the depth of garages/sheds/cellars.

My "trusty" Black Weber Gas BBQ has been in use throughout the winter months producing many delicious meals for all of those months when the charcoal aficionados are hiding inside their cosy kitchens dreaming of suitable weather to get their thingys out.

To further their irritation - hopefully - I bought a two-bone rib of beef at Aldi, the day after Boxing Day - at 50% discount - and it was one of the best BBQ'd beef meals I have ever had.

And I used to cook on charcoal before I got wise!!

So Stay Calm, Avoid Covid 19, and Use Gas.

BEagle
5th Apr 2020, 18:31
Ah - hopefully not the infamous Rabatt Pferdefleisch with the breath of Satan's bottom to disguise the taste?

BEagle
5th Apr 2020, 19:30
The horse meat scandal was about 6-7 years ago now and affected several supermarket chains - it was down to unscrupulous suppliers. No doubt they're behind bars now?

Since then, very great care has been taken by Aldi and all other supermarkets to ensure that beef is indeed beef and nothing else!

The worst part of the scandal wasn't just that time-expired Dobbin had been burgered, it was that certain veterinary drugs had entered the food chain.

tdracer
5th Apr 2020, 20:26
Like Bomber, my propane Weber was busy all winter long, grilling various beef steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and chicken thighs. The places we stay in Breckenridge, Colorado on my annual ski vacation have communal gas Weber grills which I used to prepare chicken thighs on several occasions (I like grilling chicken thighs rather than breasts - the higher fat content makes them tasty and more tolerant of overcooking - which can come in handy when using unfamiliar grills and it's well below freezing so you don't want to stand there constantly monitoring the progress of the cook).
We fortunately returned home from Breck shortly before the Covid hit the fan and they closed down the ski area (and pretty much everything else).
I did a large pork loin for four hours in the smoker last weekend which was a big hit with the wife.
I won't argue about the relative taste of charcoal vs. gas/propane, but the convenience of Satin's breath means it gets used far, far more often.

jindabyne
6th Apr 2020, 09:21
Well done Bomber - Gas all the way. Stay vertical!

MPN11
6th Apr 2020, 09:29
My charcoal-powered black ball lives outside, and was completely unused in 2019. Perhaps I should try to improve on that in 2020.

Lonewolf_50
6th Apr 2020, 20:37
I won't argue about the relative taste of charcoal vs. gas/propane, but the convenience of Satin's breath means it gets used far, far more often. I grill year round, and I use charcoal. If it's windy, I wear a jacket, and a hat.

tdracer
7th Apr 2020, 00:13
I grill year round, and I use charcoal. If it's windy, I wear a jacket, and a hat.
To be fair, winter in Texas is rather more mild than it is in most places...
Regardless of weather, the convenience of being able to start cooking ~10 minutes after I start means I use the gas grill far more than I would if I was using charcoal. Not just for complete meal prep, but I'll use the grill do things like brown meat before it goes into another recipe that I'll then cook with the stove/oven.

SnowFella
7th Apr 2020, 07:17
Been a charcoal user for years with an old 4 burner gas grill that's been sitting in a corner looking neglected, a near summer long fireban changed that! Gas is deemed ok to use while anything charcoal or pellets is a no-no on full fireban days.
The old 4 burner is still sitting in a corner looking neglected as it was replaced by a shiny new Ziegler & Brown twin burner, with the 2 zones and lid I can more or less cook on it like I used to do with charcoal.

Tashengurt
7th Apr 2020, 07:46
Dragged our charcoal powered orb out at the weekend as part of the ongoing battle against having bored kids.
Somehow the ideal of a long languid afternoon of slow cooked food, beers and convivial (immediate family) company is never achieved, the reality being more light, shout at kids for fighting near the bbq, food on, shout at kids for fighting near the bbq, food off, shout at kids for fighting at the table, eat, shout at kids for fighting near the bbq, give up and go watch tv.

GlobalNav
7th Apr 2020, 21:19
It's gotten sufficiently fair enough in Seattle, believe it or not, to fire up the Weber (22") for smoking ribs. Ahhhhh the aroma.

sittingstress
8th Apr 2020, 07:29
Sunday saw the mighty Karcher powered up to spring clean the Smokey Joe and 22" correctly powered Webers. Unfortunately the sack of correct fuel I had squirrelled away was a tad damp and needed some TLC, but with some perseverance performed as advertised. Just a basic burger, brattie and marinated chicken meal was cooked but the aroma of the correct fuel was welcomed.

tartare
8th Apr 2020, 08:47
The breath of Satan's nether regions shall power Tartare Towers outdoor incineration device, as we in the Antipodes turn clocks back, pull out the warm clothes, and watch the darkness descend.
And only metres away shall smoulder the family Chimnea, happily lighting the gloom, banishing ye virus and merrily contributing to climate change.

cliver029
8th Apr 2020, 11:02
Nothing Wrong with a good bit of horse meat

Ah Beagle alright for the likes of you posh kids from Zummerset, me who grew up on the wild edges of Dartmoor our primary school seemed to be always served lunches frequently composed of a meat known as beef olives which by popular consent were definitely horse meat:eek:

Lonewolf_50
8th Apr 2020, 19:47
First confirmed horsemeat I ever had was in Northern Italy (was it Verona? Vicenza? I forget) in the mid 90's.
It was most excellent.
But as with anything else, one needs to cook a piece of meat properly ... and since they didn't use a Weber. :sad:... just kidding.
It was on a great big rotisserie of some sort. (Arrosto?)

MrBernoulli
2nd Jul 2020, 10:14
Last week,when the UK temperatures soared, we had another BBQ using the 29-year-old Weber 22.5 inch One-touch, with lumpwood charcoal, and a very pleasant meal it was too! This year I have started using these Weber kettle BBQ char-baskets (https://www.weber.com/GB/en/accessories/cooking/7403.html?cgid=498#start=1), and have found them to be very useful for control of indirect cooking, i.e. cooking with the food not directly above the charcoal.

Sit these two char-baskets on the periphery of the charcoal grill i.e. below the food grill, and cook the food in the centre of the food grill, whilst catching all the dripping fat in a foil tray sat between the char-baskets. If you need your burger pattie or sausage a bit more charred, just move it directly over one of the char-baskets!

The char-baskets are a bit pricey, but I still recommend them. Those with some decent tools and a bit of DIY skill could probably knock their own up quite easily for a lot cheaper?

BEagle
2nd Jul 2020, 13:46
Howzit, MrB? Those charcoal holders look good, but pretty expensive?

Mine's only an 18.5 in model, but I just leave the indirect wire things in place and put the lumpwood charcoal either in the centre for direct cooking or outside for indirect. They work just fine!

Weber have stopped making the excellent ash catching device on 18.5s - heaven knows why. Only that useless hub cap thing and 3 finger biting wore clips now.

Fired it up yesterday evening - as quick and easy as ever!

langleybaston
2nd Jul 2020, 19:23
Beagle: the 3 finger biters are meant to be rotated, not attacked. And the useless hubcap, battered and filthy, soldiers on. 25 years if a day, under thechipped bright red orb with gash thermometer.
I know how it feels.

tdracer
2nd Jul 2020, 19:30
Slight thread drift:
For a long time I'd only heard of the 'Big Green Egg' - but lately they've started to show up in the local stores and I'm curious. What makes them so desirable to justify the huge price premium over a similar sized Weber? Yes, they appear to be very well made and should last forever (assuming you don't drop it), but does it make outdoor cooking that much easier or better?

langleybaston
2nd Jul 2020, 22:12
Not heard of the aforesaid egg but to my simple mind the essence of a BBQ is simplicity. Weber [battered or otherwise] for leisurely, pre-planned and best; gas [beagle look the other way] for spontaneous, short notice, I'm starving. The gas one is equally battered, the inside only sanitised by application of heat.

SnowFella
3rd Jul 2020, 04:10
Easier in that it's usually dead easy to keep a low and stable temperature for ages without having to resort to building a snake in the weber. Just pile in the charcoal, light it in one spot and as it comes up to temperature just shut the vents down for a stable cook. I've got a Chargriller Akorn and 10+ hours cooking without having to bother with adding any coal makes pulled pork and similar easily done.
And on the other side of the spectrum you can get them screamin hot if you want to by just leaving the vents open.
Usually hold moisture better too so generally no need to add a waterpan.

Hassle with them is that it's real hard to get the temperature down if you overshoot as they are so well insulated. And they can crack if you let the temperature go up or down too fast.

BEagle
3rd Jul 2020, 07:45
Well if people think that Webers are pricey, that Big Green Egg is considerably more so! I mean around £700 for the smallest?

Getting the back orb fired up really doesn't take that long! Always close all vents after the previous session, so that there'll still be some charcoal left. A quick whizz over with a trowel to remove most of the ash on the coals, riddle with the propeller thingy, empty the cack catcher and you're ready to go again. A single firelighter, some fresh lumpwood and a squirt of starter gel. Then scrap the grille with a wire brush before lighting (only needs one match normally). It only takes about 25 minutes to get the coals up to temperature, which is about the same time as it takes to down a decent sized G&T (80 ml gin, lots of ice, wedge of pink grapefruit and a 150 ml can of Schweppes)!

Easy Street
3rd Jul 2020, 20:20
I swear by my Weber chimney starter. Never a drop of fluid needed. Pile it full, stand it over a lit firelighter (or even just paper) on the bottom grille and come back 10-15mins later to something a blacksmith could work with. Tip it out, top grille on, cook. If feeling bold you can sear bits of steak or tuna over the ‘furnace’ before tipping it out. It transformed my BBQ experience!

Lingo Dan
4th Jul 2020, 09:42
One more vote for the chimney starter here: 25 minutes max from lighting to having the grill hot enough to cook. Also, I read on another forum that kitchen roll soaked in cooking oil works well if no firelighters are to hand.

MrBernoulli
4th Jul 2020, 17:09
Howzit, MrB? Those charcoal holders look good, but pretty expensive?
Greetings, Beags! Yep, as I wrote in my earlier post they are a bit pricey, but given how much money I haven't spent during lockdown, I thought "Ahhhhh, what the heck!" and bought them! :O (And this despite my employer reducing my salary by half for April and May ...)

Mine's only an 18.5 in model, but I just leave the indirect wire things in place and put the lumpwood charcoal either in the centre for direct cooking or outside for indirect. They work just fine!
I have a set of those "indirect wire things" too, but what I like about the char-baskets is the ability to move them around, if necessary, after cooking has started - push them together for a big direct cook, and push them apart again later if you want to. Not really practical to do that with the "indirect wire things". ;)

Weber have stopped making the excellent ash catching device on 18.5s - heaven knows why. Only that useless hub cap thing and 3 finger biting wore clips now.
My 29 year-old Weber is the only one I have ever owned, and it only has the aluminium hubcap which, I agree, is not much cop, being too small and too shallow. Even in a slight breeze, any ashes that have been 'raked' into the hubcap just end up getting blown all over the place. Which seems to be another advantage of the char-baskets - they retain so much more of the ash during the cooking, so a lot less falls into the bottom of the kettle!

However, if I were to buy another Weber kettle, I would certainly go for the fancier ash catcher variety! We don't really need a BBQ the size of the 22.5 inch any more, and I dare say an 18.5 inch would be much better suited for cooking for two of us ...... but the requirement for a proper ash catcher would mean buying the 22.5 inch, which as you have mentioned before, means a bigger kettle space to heat up for cooking. C'est la vie! For laughs, I might just write to Weber and ask why the 18.5 inch kettle doesn't have the proper ash catcher any more.

Another slight issue with my elderly (but still in very good nick!) Weber is the third leg, the one not on the wheel axle - it occasionally tends to drop out at inopportune moments when moving the BBQ. The legs are only friction fit, but I see that later variants had a spring clip introduced at the top end of the leg to prevent just this sort of problem. So, just after the last barbeque I raided our recycling box, pulled out an empty Tiger beer can, cut out a strip of the aluminium, and shimmed the third leg into place - much better now, ha ha!

Slight thread drift:
For a long time I'd only heard of the 'Big Green Egg' - but lately they've started to show up in the local stores and I'm curious. What makes them so desirable to justify the huge price premium over a similar sized Weber? Yes, they appear to be very well made and should last forever (assuming you don't drop it), but does it make outdoor cooking that much easier or better?
I'd never heard of them until now. Had a look at the website, and concluded that is just stupid money. Probably priced to appeal to those who believe that, unless items are expensive, they probably aren't good quality? I wouldn't pay it, anyway, as there is there is much better value available out there, without having to resort to cheap, and I think my 29 year-old Weber kettle is testament to that!

Easier in that it's usually dead easy to keep a low and stable temperature for ages without having to resort to building a snake in the weber. Just pile in the charcoal, light it in one spot and as it comes up to temperature just shut the vents down for a stable cook. I've got a Chargriller Akorn and 10+ hours cooking without having to bother with adding any coal makes pulled pork and similar easily done.
And on the other side of the spectrum you can get them screamin hot if you want to by just leaving the vents open.
Usually hold moisture better too so generally no need to add a waterpan.
I have had success with cooking and smoking whole chickens using the Weber kettle! Though it takes a few hours, and needs a couple of small additions of charcoal and wood chips, the heat can be controlled nicely with the top and bottom vents, and the kettle lid helps to retain moisture. Does a good job! :)

I swear by my Weber chimney starter. Never a drop of fluid needed. Pile it full, stand it over a lit firelighter (or even just paper) on the bottom grille and come back 10-15mins later to something a blacksmith could work with. Tip it out, top grille on, cook. If feeling bold you can sear bits of steak or tuna over the ‘furnace’ before tipping it out. It transformed my BBQ experience!
The Weber chimney starter is another gizmo that I bought this year and, I agree, it gets the charcoal going in no time flat! :ok:

BEagle
5th Jul 2020, 07:49
MrB, I e-mailed Weber and asked them to reconsider an 18.5" model with ash catcher, but just received a "We will bear your suggestion in mind" response - a TVM & PFO e-mail!

Weber wobbly leg syndrome is a known malady, but in my case the socket rusted so badly that the old Weber had to go when I could see daylight through the bottom!

Let's hope the weather-guessers can conjure up some fine Wx again soon - I'm fed up with this wind and rain!

Paying Guest
5th Jul 2020, 09:56
What goes around comes around. Forty years ago at Rheindahlen the de rigueur starter aid for the Portadown Way Wednesday evening Weber gathering was a catering size baked bean can, courtesy of the mess kitchen, with both ends cut out. Excellent VFM even if it had to be replaced every 4 or 5 years.

GlobalNav
5th Jul 2020, 14:43
Back in the day when I could buy "quality coffee" in a two-pound can, that's what I cut the top and bottom out of and punched some holes in the side. Cheap, worked great, only downside, no handle, so vise-grips.

langleybaston
5th Jul 2020, 14:51
What goes around comes around. Forty years ago at Rheindahlen the de rigueur starter aid for the Portadown Way Wednesday evening Weber gathering was a catering size baked bean can, courtesy of the mess kitchen, with both ends cut out. Excellent VFM even if it had to be replaced every 4 or 5 years.

A fellow inmate!

Our first tour was in number 8, the second in the up-market number 13.
With a brake parachute for cover in the middle.
I remember the bean tin, black as sin.
And the third leg dropping off Webers.
And a certain Gp Capt specialising in eating an egg, shell and all.
Cheese bratties that were a health hazard when poked with a fork.
And Christmas with the fire engine.

langleybaston
5th Jul 2020, 14:52
MrB, I e-mailed Weber and asked them to reconsider an 18.5" model with ash catcher, but just received a "We will bear your suggestion in mind" response - a TVM & PFO e-mail!

Weber wobbly leg syndrome is a known malady, but in my case the socket rusted so badly that the old Weber had to go when I could see daylight through the bottom!

Let's hope the weather-guessers can conjure up some fine Wx again soon - I'm fed up with this wind and rain!

Would that I could, we planned for today and binned it

Paying Guest
5th Jul 2020, 18:39
A fellow inmate!

Our first tour was in number 8, the second in the up-market number 13.
With a brake parachute for cover in the middle.
I remember the bean tin, black as sin.
And the third leg dropping off Webers.
And a certain Gp Capt specialising in eating an egg, shell and all.
Cheese bratties that were a health hazard when poked with a fork.
And Christmas with the fire engine.

Indeed! We were in No 12, 1980 - 83. and the designated provider of electrical power out through our basement window for the floodlight suspended from the peak of the brake parachute. Flood light courtesy of the thespians at Nos 2 and 4. Seem to recall that No 13 had always been the traditional home of the command's chief weather guesser. Fire engine also used to make an appearance on May Day to erect the maypole on the corner at the entrance to Portadown.

langleybaston
5th Jul 2020, 19:56
That weather guesser was I, 1989 -96, a grace and favour abode. We provided the electricity because "you civvies don't have to pay for it!"

The Maypole was certainly in use when we were in number 8: we have a photo taken on a wet May Day with dancers wearing the ubiquitous "yellows" and wellies.
ISTR a weird system whereby the road had one lawn roller, a few lawn mowers, a wheel barrow and a ladder on various inventories ...... perhaps it was an urban myth for we never saw hair nor hide of these items.

I think your next door neighbour was Met 1, a Scottish chap, initials J M.

Great days.

Paying Guest
7th Jul 2020, 14:54
That weather guesser was I, 1989 -96, a grace and favour abode. We provided the electricity because "you civvies don't have to pay for it!"

...but the real double dippers were the NAAFI area HQ types who were paying no tax anywhere, getting free accommodation and access to duty free

I think your next door neighbour was Met 1, a Scottish chap, initials J M.

Not in my time. One side was an RAF educator, the other side one of the duty ops officers from the JHQ basement. No 8 was a Welsh Provost flt lt who used to do our PV interviews! The occupant of No 13 was the diminutive Patrick (Pat 'n Pat).

Great days indeed

langleybaston
7th Jul 2020, 22:10
...but the real double dippers were the NAAFI area HQ types who were paying no tax anywhere, getting free accommodation and access to duty free

Not in my time. One side was an RAF educator, the other side one of the duty ops officers from the JHQ basement. No 8 was a Welsh Provost flt lt who used to do our PV interviews! The occupant of No 13 was the diminutive Patrick (Pat 'n Pat).

Great days indeed

Thank you. I can define the period exactly!
When we were touring Germany and Austria on holiday we were guests of Pat 'n Pat as we passed through. I shudder to think that Number 8 was occupied by a sleuth. In my day the sleuth was a Wg Cdr Retd so presumably entitled to a rather less basic MQ.
In retrospect number 13 was well below what we were accustomed to during private purchase in the UK, and, [I tell the truth] was initially designated as Air Cdre accommodation when first built. This was borne out by the inventory. Latterly, One stars were entitled to wallpaper! Luxury beyond belief!

MrBernoulli
8th Aug 2020, 11:35
Well, what else is there to do on a day like today, in the southern UK? The Weber is out of the shed, and the charcoal has been lit!

BEagle
8th Aug 2020, 11:58
Boerewors on the braai, is it bru?

I will follow your lead later this evening, I think!!

MrBernoulli
8th Aug 2020, 14:49
Nope Beags, no boerewors. 😉

Just burger, smoked pork sausage, marinated pork and veg kebabs, plus chicken breasts for a slow cook in home made sweet chilli and ginger sauce. The chicken is still simmering in the Weber kettle right now!

BEagle
8th Aug 2020, 15:12
Ag - sounds truly lekker! Mine will be simpler - just marinated pork steaks with some charlotte potatoes, sugar snap peas and baby corn cobs steamed with butter and garlic!

Missed you at Ronnie's 'dining out Zoom' - lots of 101 reprobates in attendance though!

(No gas was involved in this discussion!)

tartare
25th Dec 2020, 07:11
Gentlepersons,
I know you're all celebrating a snowy white Xmas (social distancing etc.) up there - but we've had a disaster down here at Tartare Towers.
The Weber - breath of Satan's bottom version - has finally shat itself, so to speak.
On Christmas day - one cannot put a prawn on the barbie.
Even though I'm a kiwi in this wide brown land, it is nonetheless something approaching an un-ostraylian disaster.
Second only to the beer fridge breaking down.
Bugger it, says I. Those lads and ladettes on the prune thing are always talking about the benefits of wood.
As does my Seth effrikin mate Bruce.
Have decided to become a charcoalist, rather than a gasist.
Any particular model you all recommend?

ex-fast-jets
25th Dec 2020, 13:23
Don't even think of reverting to cave-man techniques - you will regret it...........

Stick with a Weber Gas - or, if you want to appease your friendly neighbours, an Outback.

Gas is good - charcoal destroys the environment, kills polar bears, and sinks beautiful tropical islands.

Be environmentally conscious, and stick with gas!

By the way - stay clear of your mate Bruce from Seth Effrika (?? thought they all came from Ostraylia ??) - they have discovered a new virulent strain of this wretched virus down there, apparently - if you believe what the media says.

Stay safe - cook with gas!

sittingstress
25th Dec 2020, 16:39
Don't even think of reverting to cave-man techniques - you will regret it...........

Stick with a Weber Gas - or, if you want to appease your friendly neighbours, an Outback.

Gas is good - charcoal destroys the environment, kills polar bears, and sinks beautiful tropical islands.

Be environmentally conscious, and stick with gas!

Stay safe - cook with gas!

You sir are an utter disgrace. Tartare is an addict who has bravely chosen to change his lifestyle for the better and you are trying to keep him in your filthy mire. Tartare, there is only one brand of charcoal based BBQ and that is Weber. Do not let anyone try and convince you otherwise. Like gassists, these people promote and actively take part in a variety of socially unacceptable practices. Some even wear brown shoes when in town, the rotters. I wish you the best of luck for your new life.

Have a look here
The correct type of BBQ (https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/)

Imagegear
25th Dec 2020, 16:49
Ohh so you want to coat your meat in non-organic mineral particles. If you live in a top floor apartment, forget the barbeque. Weber's are only any good for doing a whole chicken, don't put any good meat in it.

Anywhere else find a place where you can dig a hole. put a few kilos of sand in the bottom. A stone built barbeque can also work. Use proper barbequing wood, or charcoal if you are absolutely desperate. Don't even think of starting to cook until the coals are completely red, and a little white ash is forming.

Get a stainless wire grid and roast it to within an inch of it's life, Place meat with spaces around it, only turn it once at the half way point, and no oil or condiments on the meat until it is virtually ready to eat. Remove meat, let it stand for a couple of minutes, if you have the strength of will.

Enjoy,

IG

ex-fast-jets
25th Dec 2020, 20:53
What a load of rubbish - you, sir, are an utter disgrace......

Short Ribs - proper beef ribs (bone in, of course) - fish of all sorts.........

Chicken, pork, lamb.................

All work beautifully on a proper gas Weber...

Imagegear
26th Dec 2020, 04:24
Gas, says it all really. Might as well use paraffin, I'm afraid you have succumbed to the crass advertising of the energy suppliers.

Let me assure you: Gas (Propane or Town Gas) has never been "clean" and never will be. "Working beautifully" does not equate with best tasting. They are mutually exclusive.

I Sir, am an unashamed purist, perfectionist and barbecue chef of note. I can well imagine that you probably barbeque your meat until it is well done?.

Sacrilege

Ascend Charlie
26th Dec 2020, 07:01
I bought a Family WeberQ (gas) for Xmas, and so far it has cooked giant beef ribs, snags, chops, steak, and yesterday it cooked a glazed ham and a rolled pork roast to absolute perfection. Compliments galore on the crunchy crackle and the moist tender meat.

Love it.

KiloB
26th Dec 2020, 17:02
Welcome to the WeberQ Club. Yesterday mine cooked a 3 1/2 kg turkey to absolute perfection. Just switched it off after the required time (unopened) and left it ‘resting’ for 25 min in the warmth. Juicy tasty and you could have carved with a spoon!

28th Dec 2020, 10:51
My charcoal Weber did a 4Kg turkey on Chirstmas day complete with hickory smoke (just add the chips to the coals) and 4 rib hunk of beef on boxing day - both superbly moist and tasty and both providing splendid juices for the gravy using the indirect heat method.

Charcoal is the way forward for taste:ok:

langleybaston
28th Dec 2020, 14:44
Gas, says it all really. Might as well use paraffin, I'm afraid you have succumbed to the crass advertising of the energy suppliers.

Let me assure you: Gas (Propane or Town Gas) has never been "clean" and never will be. "Working beautifully" does not equate with best tasting. They are mutually exclusive.

I Sir, am an unashamed purist, perfectionist and barbecue chef of note. I can well imagine that you probably barbeque your meat until it is well done?.

Sacrilege

You forgot to add "modest"

Imagegear
28th Dec 2020, 15:18
You forgot to add "modest"

Well - I suppose that's true - I'm not one to blow my own trumpet.:ok:

IG