PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful Weber!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

mystic_meg
3rd Jun 2008, 08:21
Bow Inn, thanks for that link

Hmmm... I think 'Kevin' would be more comfortable cooking with the 'G' fuelled variety...:uhoh:

kluge
3rd Jun 2008, 08:54
Castrol R40 indeed sir and its sibling R30.

http://www.racelubricants.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=113&P_ID=462

"Cazzy R" has a wonderful smell of castor oil. I think they may even run Le Rhone's on it - certainly smells like they do.

Adds that certain mystery flavour for the Paulliac pourer.

Gainesy
3rd Jun 2008, 10:00
Gentlemen, The Beast.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/Gainesy/2008general023.jpg

Car battery powered two-speed windscreen-wiper motor revolves spit.

Bambi over oak/beech logs x 4 hours.

kluge
3rd Jun 2008, 10:06
I prostrate myself before you, gnashing of teeth and wailing "I am not worthy"

......suffer the little Bambies for thy pleasure Oh Lord.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jun 2008, 11:27
Can't beat that even with a big stick, Mr Gainesy.:ok:

BEagle
3rd Jun 2008, 15:23
Gainesy - truly awesome!

I bow down before thee!!

Gainesy
3rd Jun 2008, 16:40
Er, steady on chaps it isn't my Beast, though I do drive it on occassion. It resides in my local where the Landlord is called, strange but true, Mark Webber.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jun 2008, 18:42
Have you tried running the beast on a red wine, brown sugar, garlic, rosemary and rock salt mix yet? Makes great crispy ribs and tender haunches and shoulders.

Save Africa - Eat a goat.:ok:

BEagle
3rd Jun 2008, 19:38
Er, steady on chaps it isn't my Beast

Well in that case, Gainesy....

One can always get one's servant to assist whilst cooking a small joint of beef:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/barbi.jpg

I gave him the tail, tongue, testicles and ears later. One mustn't spoil one's staff....

As one might deduce from 't flat cap, he is clearly from some appalling northern ghetto and hence quite used to gnawing on those unmentionable parts of a beast which no self respecting southern gentleman would even feed to his dog!

highcirrus
3rd Jun 2008, 20:33
Er… actually, Beags, in the vernacular it’s ‘t flat ‘at, as worn when rattin’ and when not tramin’ Ilkley Moor bah’t’ at. At least that’s how I remember it from Church Fenton days, before the New World and barbecues were discovered.

Keep up the good work!

kluge
4th Jun 2008, 00:04
The presence of the bellringer adds a fine and fitting touch.

Hear yee, hear yee, oh hear yee, bretheron of the flamed bullock - stop b00gering abart 'cos t'bl00dy things ready 'n all. Aye si thi ya daft pill0ock.

(Finest Barnsley)

BEagle
4th Jun 2008, 04:17
Finest Barnsley

Surely an oxymoron?

kluge
4th Jun 2008, 04:46
Indeed - a genuine immitation

Gainesy
4th Jun 2008, 09:33
Have you tried running the beast on a red wine, brown sugar, garlic, rosemary and rock salt mix yet? Makes great crispy ribs and tender haunches and shoulders.

Er, no, we just picked the bits of orange BMW indicator glass out of its bum.:)

kluge
5th Jun 2008, 09:22
Sprinke it on the side and say its crackling.

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Jun 2008, 10:34
Probably the easiest way to tenderise it, Mr Gainesy. Expensive meat hammer though....:}

Gainesy
5th Jun 2008, 10:48
Its really quite amazing the number of people who clobber deer round here:

"Didn't you see the deer warning signs along the roads?"
"Well er, yes, but you don't expect deer on the road do you?"
:ugh:

kluge
6th Jun 2008, 00:48
Probably blind deer - No eye deer

Or maybe even stupid blind deer - No f...g eye deer

Backwards PLT
6th Jun 2008, 03:04
Lame, blind deer - Still no eye deer.

sittingstress
6th Jun 2008, 06:49
I have been using a hetero Weber charcoal since 1990, yet I have seen one of these and want to try one.

Am I bisexual?

Regards

Curious ss

http://www.rawgarden.co.uk/RawGardenSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=10286&cookie%5Ftest=1

BEagle
7th Jun 2008, 07:16
Dunno - your link takes people to a site which tries to embed cookies:=

But it's easy really. If it's gas, it's gay!

sittingstress
7th Jun 2008, 20:14
Bugger, I mean damn!

That was definately not a Freudian slip.

This is the correct link and i ask again, am i bisexual?

http://www.rawgarden.co.uk/RawGardenSite/product/Barbeques_Weber%20Barbeques%20and%20Accessories_Weber%20Char coal%20Barbeques/10286.htm

Dan D'air
7th Jun 2008, 22:52
i ask again, am i bisexual?

You could try asking your wife and boyfriend. See what answer they come up with.........

BEagle
8th Jun 2008, 12:04
• Uses 450g disposable butane/propane cartridges (good for up to twelve, 10-minute ignitions) (Not included)

Buy the gas-fag cartridges = you're gay!

Leave the gas-fag igniter connected but with no gas-fag cartridges = you're bisexual because you don't know which way to swing.

Unbolt and deep-six the gas-faggotry apparatus, add explosive fluids and fire = red-blooded hetero!

kluge
12th Jun 2008, 05:37
The Weber Performer® Touch-N-Go™ charcoal grill (aka “one’s Blackfellow”) uses a gas ignition system to light the coals fast.

Answer the following;

1. Is the Weber Performer genus a sequential hermaphrodite (in which the individual is made as one sex but can later change into the alternate sex) or is it a simultaneous hermaphrodite (in which the individual may possess fully functional male and female gonads).

2. To which category does the family “Blackfellow” belong;

a. Protandry (male to female)
b. Protogyny (female to male)

3. While some sequential hermaphrodites can change sex multiple times, most can only change sex once. Provide specific examples where you have experimented with your Blackfellow and describe the results.

4. Sequential hermaphrodites possess an ambisexual gonad. The gonad has both a male and a female portion. When an individual changes sex, gonad remodeling occurs. Interestingly, changes in behavior often occur before these gonad changes.
Name the ambisexual gonad on the Blackfellow. For extra bonus points describe the behavioural changes that occur.

5. Based on your responses to the above, answer “is gas gay” ?

BEagle
12th Jun 2008, 05:54
Hmm, sounds like the Weber 'Bugis street special'?

Touch-N-Go? What happens after a touch reveals the 'lady' to be something else....:eek:!

That ambisexual gonad is obviously the gas-faggot dangly bit underneath the Blackfellow.

kluge
12th Jun 2008, 06:06
Not entirely unrelated.....

Banana Slugs are one more simultaneous hermaphrodite example. Mating with a partner is most desirable, as the genetic material of the offspring is varied, but if mating with a partner is not possible, self-fertilization is practised. The male sexual organ of an adult banana slug is quite large in proportion to its size, as well as compared to the female organ. It is possible for banana slugs, while mating, to become stuck together. If a substantial amount of wiggling fails to separate them, the male's organ will be bitten off (with the slug's radula). If a banana slug has lost its male sexual organ, it can still self-fertilize, making its hermaphroditic quality an invaluable adaptation.

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Jun 2008, 06:14
Webers are all a bit metrosexual. They pretend to be hetero but you'll find them using face cream when they think their mates are not watching.

kluge
12th Jun 2008, 06:28
so then the statement "go f....k yourself" is actually not an insult when said to a Weber user ?

kluge
21st Jul 2008, 07:01
Finally the rain has abated in HK such that a BBQ could be held yesterday. It may even be repeated tonight.

The degustation bill of faire was:

- Home made Italian sausages made by "she who must be obeyed"
- Lamp chops
- Jumbo King prawns - al ajillo

- Rabbit food in the form of baby spinach, beetroot with carraway seeds.

All accompanied by lashings of cold San Miguel beer.

Simply marvellous.

Extra Lipitor was also available.

BEagle
21st Jul 2008, 07:42
Prawns ala gambas means 'Prawns in the style of prawns'.....

Shouldn't that read 'Gambas al ajillo'? A true Catalonian delight - big juicy prawns sizzling in garlic, oil and chilli in a cazuela. All you need to go with that is some chilled vino blanco and crusty bread to mop up the garlic and oil after you've woofed the prawns.

And absolutely NO rabbit food!

Anway, time to fire up the blackfellow tonight - looks like the UK might have a few days of summer Wx this week.

:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Jul 2008, 08:20
The Portuguese manner with chili, olive oil, garlic and a drop of beer on a flat metal plate is also good. Camarao and lulas on tomato rice with a good sprinkling of parsley and a chest full of cold cervesa while overlooking the Bazaruto archipelago. Not much to beat it...:ok:

PPRuNeUser0139
21st Jul 2008, 08:42
The Twotter is spot-on.. we've just invested in one of these
Chariot plancha Forge Adour. Plancha basque, chariot plancha, accessoires plancha (http://www.plancha-forgeadour.com/planchas_chariots_fiche.php?id_plancha_chariot=21)
At the risk of winding up all you BBQ addicts, these are the dog's bollards..
Sardines, ice-cold rose, crusty bread...
aah..
sv

kluge
21st Jul 2008, 08:47
:hmm: Cazuela - the area in a tavern where women were segregated in the Spanish Golden Age.

Did they stand behind a one way view (from the outside) glass wall with numbers on them ? :E They still have those in Macau. Must be the Portugese way of serving without the terracotta dish.

L1011GE
21st Jul 2008, 09:04
Just purchased a weber in Manila...I know I should have bought a new one before I left but it was 100 pounds (equivelent) well spent.

BEagle
21st Jul 2008, 09:47
sidevalve, that piece of froggery appears to have rotary control knobs and a suspicious looking pipe connected to it in one of those pictures of jolly grenouilles.

Which can only mean one thing....

GAS

:eek:

Perhaps that's why they're hugging eachother so gaily....:ooh:

PPRuNeUser0139
21st Jul 2008, 13:10
All I'd say is don't knock it until you tried it..!
Always thought gas barbies a bit naff but this jobby moves al fresco dining into a new era (or sumfink!). And yes, it is powered by gas! And those are rotary control knobs..!
sv

RNGrommits
26th Jul 2008, 05:33
In need of the vast array of collective knowledge shown on this thread. Finally entered the 21st Century, turned to the dark side and bought me a gas Weber (some-one could have warned me that it was a 2-man lift and a complete bugger to try and get in the hangar on the ship!).
However, it says that it comes with a gas regulator. Will this fit any UK gas bottles, and if so what type? If not, where can I get one that will or can I just steal the one off Mrs RNGs patio heater?
Hopefully we'll get back in time to test fire it before the British Summer ends (or have you already had both sunny days?)
Thanks in anticipation.

BEagle
26th Jul 2008, 06:51
'Gas', 'bugger', '2-man' and 'ship' all in the same sentence....:ooh:

Can't help with your queery, I'm afraid. But ask around the next time you're in the Blue Oyster and I'm sure a 'friend' could help....:hmm:

OK, enough banter. See Number of briquettes (http://www.wowbbq.co.uk/images/fuelgas.html) The name of that link is misleading, but it takes you to a page which covers your fuel requirements.

brickhistory
31st Aug 2008, 22:43
Took mine out for a last hop (probably) for the season.

Chops, pineapple slices, while consuming spiced rum/pineapple juice. (Leftovers from a Hawaiian party, you see.)
The salad maker kept the fluid level topped off, perfect weather, a good ending to the summer.

A toast to all those out ending another of their summers in not so pleasant places in the service of their country.

BEagle
28th Feb 2009, 12:06
Judging by the solitary purple wildflower that has suddenly appeared on the 'south lawn' here at BEagle Towers, spring must surely be in the air.

Time to wake the spherical blackfellow up from his winter hibernation soon - anyone been tempted yet?
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

Must do an inventory check of the fire making apparatus - although I suspect that the charcoal might have become a bit damp.

kluge
28th Feb 2009, 13:07
You could always use gas :p

CounterSunk
28th Feb 2009, 18:03
Gas! you heretic. ;)

gearontheglide
28th Feb 2009, 20:45
Having successfully cooked the turkey at Christmas on old faithful, it really was time to retire it. 3 Handle repairs and support to a dodgy leg meant that 24 years service finally came to an end.

It has been replaced by an upgrade (the one with table attached) however still relies on proper fuel. First run out was today for some half time snorkers and bratties during the Croke Park debacle. At least the grub and the copious Fiddler's Elbow was enjoyed!!!

stbd beam
28th Feb 2009, 22:16
phew, thank goodness - little talk of being GAY on the thread just now, does my head in, keep your gas to yourselves laydeeez ....

L J R
1st Mar 2009, 03:59
Oh GOD!.....here we go again..........

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Mar 2009, 10:56
What's wrong with a half oil drum with a steel grid over the top? Furshlugginer metrosexuals and their Webers. Too chicken to bend over to get a beer out of the cooler with you lot on the loose.

I dunno... youth of today.... grump.... mumble.....

BEagle
1st Mar 2009, 14:49
Size isn't everything, is it Mostyn?

brickhistory
1st Mar 2009, 14:52
Four inches of snow expected today. :{

Carry on without me, gents...

fleigle
1st Mar 2009, 14:59
Its persisting hard gain today here on the left coast which means that my hard-wired GAS burning weber will STILL be in use without me starting any other fires in the neighborhood, thus avoiding p1ssing-off the locals and avoiding lawyers.
Lamb chops yesterday, ribeye steaks tonight.
Enjoy you all.:ok:
f:E

BEagle
1st Mar 2009, 15:07
California. San Fagkissco, I presume, judging by the fuel used by your Weber.......:eek:

smo-kin-hole
1st Mar 2009, 15:38
So anyway, I picked up a 55 gal drum to turn into a cooker. I cut a door hole in the top and a vent hole in the side and put it on end in my Dad's driveway. It still had oil residue in it so I grabbed a tin of MEK, sloshed it around the side, and threw in a match.

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM (not poof!)

A tornado of fire, oil smoke, MEK, and burned hair spiralled into the night. This was a crowded suburb. I estimate the height approached 15 feet. After about five minutes, the bottom of the barrel started to glow red and it slowly sank into the asphalt driveway. It took about 20 minutes to go out. The ring mark stayed in the driveway for a good ten years.

Fun, fun, fun.:ok:

BEagle
1st Mar 2009, 15:47
Excellent!

Fire, smoke and fury - that's the way. But preferably without the China Syndrome of your thermonuclear device!

jindabyne
2nd Mar 2009, 13:51
How exciting! Time to dust off the trusty Outback then - just a flick of a switch, eh Beags?!

brickhistory
8th Mar 2009, 20:57
Shirt sleeve weather (finally!), some filets wrapped in bacon, some sort of lemony drink with vodka courtesy of 'her indoors,' fire, smoke, another lemony drink with vodka while on fire watch.

It's a good day...

Co-Captain
16th Apr 2009, 17:22
Chaps,

If I may; does anyone know how much a nice Weber '1 Touch' Silver retails at in the US of A? Or even if they're available in BXs? Unfortunately I don't get out and about as much these days and Google as not been my friend. I wonder if its worth grabbing a bargain?? :cool:

Ta.

inverted spin
16th Apr 2009, 19:31
$89.70 + tax at Home Depot.
Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5 In. Black Charcoal Kettle Grill - 741001 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100012014&N=10000003+90401+503171+2080)

Jumping_Jack
16th Apr 2009, 23:58
Regrettably bargains are few and far between in the States at the moment.....exchange rate is a killer.....

Co-Captain
17th Apr 2009, 00:13
Flip. Its looking like I'll have to fork out £100 of Her Majesty's Finest then, to join the Weber club... Hey ho.:eek:

Roland Pulfrew
17th Apr 2009, 07:19
Co-Captain

22.5" One Touch Silver, BX, $85 just recently. Still dollars for pounds and the exchange rate is back to $1.5:£1.00, so still a reasonable bargain.

Co-Captain
17th Apr 2009, 07:55
Cheers Roland :ok:

BEagle
17th Apr 2009, 08:15
Perhaps worth noting that, to fill the blackfellow with charcoal to the same level, a 22.5 in needs nearly twice as much as an 18.5 in model....

Hissing down here again, so the little black chap will stay cold for the weekend.

Glad to see that your new job has a few perks still, Roly!

bast0n
17th Apr 2009, 11:02
I have got Twin Webers and I am having trouble inserting the sausages. Any ideas........?:)

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/jsf_DSC03760.jpg

BEagle
17th Apr 2009, 11:27
Ah, twin '40 DCOEs.

Like most things Italian, a sexy-looking and overcomplicated method of turning fuel into noise and a marginal power increase.

But hell, they look good!

Gainesy
17th Apr 2009, 11:35
Double wrap in foil then place in the valley next to the plugs about 20 miles in a Land Rover, about 80 miles in that.:)

Howabout
17th Apr 2009, 14:11
What a great thread. Missed it before.

My trusty is now 23 yrs old. These days it gets used once a year and sits out in the weather for the rest of the time.

However, when the Boxing Day Test comes around it gets pressed back into service. Large piece of pork, large piece of beef - both size huge; troops for the use of. Plus, on the side, dozens of fresh bread rolls and salad on a 35 deg day.

The esky, which is a small 180 litre variety, and only gets used as often as the Webber, gets stacked with 15 cartons of cans and 10 bags of ice.

The drunks from my son's grade club, plus 50 hangers-on, turn up to watch the first ball and spend the rest of the day gorging themselves, falling in the pool, and draining the 'small' esky. However, for the most part it's about the cricket and we have a TV outside so that everyone can eat, drink, swim, drink, eat, swim and watch us hammering the opposition. Well, that was until those bloody South Africans taught us that we may not be as good as we thought we were. Bustards!

Notwithstanding, the success of the day, which my son says is now a tradition (8 yrs worth- and he started it), is all down to that glorious piece of metal. Nothing cooks finer than a joint on the Webber. Or two joints.

Any true believers in the real game (one-day sucks and 20/20 is for the mentally challenged - those that use gas Webbers), who may be travelling the world are welcome to drop in next Boxing Day. However, if you are South African, please keep gloating to a minimum. And don't bring any of that p1ss you call beer.

Great thread!

brickhistory
17th Apr 2009, 21:33
I have got Twin Webers and I am having trouble inserting the sausages. Any ideas........?

Usually those are used as compensation for a lack of sausages, aren't they? :}

kluge
18th Apr 2009, 04:53
....and that's why it's called an old banger :}

bast0n
18th Apr 2009, 08:27
OLD BANGER!!

How dare you Sir.

I enclose a picture of The real Old Banger in the Pyrenees..........

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/jsf_Spot_Pyranees12.jpg

Also my Twin Weber is one of the fastest ways to go and get more bangers, and I do not need to lay mine down along the top of the engine to get it started - the banger I mean not the car...............I think...........?:)

Keep oiling your bangers chaps...............

kluge
18th Apr 2009, 08:45
I'm sure that you enjoy your ride very much sir.

......and I hope that you avoid burning your banger :ooh:

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Apr 2009, 11:35
Beags:
California. San Fagkissco, I presume, judging by the fuel used by your Weber......

All Webers are somewhat light in the loafers. The fuel is is just an indication of screaming or closet.

Howabout:
However, if you are South African, please keep gloating to a minimum. And don't bring any of that p1ss you call beer.

About time we stuck it to you bustards...:ok: Quite agree with the SAB dreck. Enough to make a skunk gag. This stuff is nectar though..... Gilroy Natural Beers - Brewery, Restaurant, Bar, Beer Garden, (http://www.gilroybeers.co.za)

Any time you're in SA give me a shout and I'll walk ya through the brewery (slowly and with a pint pot in each hand). The brewer and owner is a good mate.

BEagle
19th Apr 2009, 12:11
How the country which invented Swan and Castlemaine XXXX (it's spelt that way because 'beer' is a bit challenging to some...:p) can insult SethEfrikan beer....

Amusingly, back before they let Nelson out when our yarp chums were viewed with deep suspicion by the tree-huggy UK lefties, down at RAF Ascension Island O's Mess we quaffed many a cold Lion (RIP) or Castle - went down well with some beast grilled on the mess barbi' whilst looking out for the 'green flash' as the sun went down. KWV Roodi' Red used to slip down a treat, as well.

Always amused me what the Sunday Pinko might have thought of us all helping SA's apartheid economy back then!

OK chaps, chapesses and chap...others (gas users). One thing I think we can all agree upon is that our colonial chums over the pond can make a damn fine idiot-proof barbi' which works even in the tropical climes of a UK Spring.... But as for their beer? It is not said for nothing that Budweiser 'beer' is like making love in a canoe - 'F*****g close to water'.....

Although Sam Adams is OK-ish, I grant you.

Roadster280
19th Apr 2009, 13:46
OK chaps, chapesses and chap...others (gas users). One thing I think we can all agree upon is that our colonial chums over the pond can make a damn fine idiot-proof barbi' which works even in the tropical climes of a UK Spring.... But as for their beer? It is not said for nothing that Budweiser 'beer' is like making love in a canoe - 'F*****g close to water'.....

Although Sam Adams is OK-ish, I grant you.

Ah, the perils of stereotyping. Budweiser, I grant you, is near the bottom of the pile. Along with Coors and Miller. Mind you, the situation is no different in the UK. If a foreign visitor's first taste of English beer was "Fuller's London Pride", as served on the BA flight inbound, they would have much the same opinion, no doubt. Then pitch into Wetherspoon's on every High Street and get a pint of Foster's (brewed in Leeds). Swiftly followed by something more discerning, having made the initial mistake!

Sam Adams being OK-ish? Which Sam Adams? I believe they make 46 types of beer (some seasonal).

Coca-cola's mantra is "universal availability, uniform quality". Hence I prefer Wobbly, Beck's or Heineken Export. Available the world over, always the same.

The odd Boulevard goes down well, as does a Corona mit lime.

Have you not heard the similie between (receiving!) BJs and beer? No such thing as bad, only some better than others.

VMD+12
19th Apr 2009, 16:53
There used to be a beer brewed in Washington state that was sold in O Clubs on the West Coast and elsewhere called Olympia. It stated proudly on the can 'It's the Water'. This was a very accurate description!

STANDTO
19th Apr 2009, 18:00
Fired up the old girl TWICE, on my newly constructed sundeck. Standard fayre on saturday, but did a whole chicken for the first time today. Bloody outstanding.

extpwron
19th Apr 2009, 19:33
Weber Newbie.
Bought my first Weber during the Easter weekend and have now used it twice. Big improvement over my £6.99 Lidl special that I have to replace each year!
Have been using lumpwood because that’s what I have been used to but notice that Weber seem to recommend briquettes.
Any thoughts from you Weber experts?

BEagle
19th Apr 2009, 20:41
Go for the briquettes - more consistent and less ash. They also burn hotter.

Actually, anything but gas will do - but briquettes are the easiest to deal with. Follow the Weber instructions precisely and you can't go wrong.

Jumping_Jack
20th Apr 2009, 00:12
STANDTO, ever tried 'Beer Butt Chicken' on the Weber? Take small can of beer (NOT DRAUGHTFLOW) drink half. Stick half full can up chicken's 'jacksie' and stand the chicken up in the barbie.....cook. Beer boils and steams the chicken in beery fumes....top notch....:ok: You can even get little stands to put the can in and chicken on....

kluge
20th Apr 2009, 04:22
I think that's how Budweiser came to be known as Buttwiper :hmm:

Ruddles County for me please or "Scruttocks Olde Bastarde" if on the apple juice :ok:

I've found great success to be had from using one of these Giant Reversible Grill/ Griddle 46cm - LeCreuset (http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-Range-uk/Cast-Iron/Grills--Grillits/Giant-Reversible-Grill-Griddle-46cm/) despite it being French.

Excellent for searing bits of cow and other sources of protein.

Howabout
20th Apr 2009, 05:52
It's my enduring desire to visit your country. Never been, but have tasted the beer - some of ours sucks as well; whoever said Fosters was good beer needs to be shot, shambocked, or both.

Congrats on your team; the whole series was a joy to watch and the POMs just don't get it at the moment. For mine, the pinacle of test cricket is the competition between you guys and us, although India have rattled us recently.

That Dale Steyn is a standout - so great, on either side, to see some long overdue venemous swing bowling.

When I retire, I might just take you up on the offer.

MadsDad
20th Apr 2009, 08:12
A variant of the 'Beerbutt' chicken is 'Winebutt'. Instead of drinking half the tinny you drink all of it then half refill it with white wine before inserting into the chicken.

Delicious.

BEagle
20th Apr 2009, 08:23
Stick half full can up chicken's 'jacksie'.....

Perhaps worth adding that this works best with a dead chicken which has first been plucked and dressed?

Looks like a nice day, so my trusty blackfellow will be in use later today!

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2009, 08:32
Fired up the old girl TWICE, on my newly constructed sundeck. Standard fayre on saturday, but did a whole chicken for the first time today. Bloody outstanding.

Try a Turkey.

First time I did a turkey some of the pikeys were back for seconds before I had even had a mouthful.

kluge
20th Apr 2009, 09:42
...did you use one of these ?

How to Deep Fry a Turkey - - FabulousFoods.com (http://www.fabulousfoods.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&category_id=223&article=19903)

Fire protective clothing an optional extra. Sensible fuel source though :E

Jumping_Jack
20th Apr 2009, 12:19
Revolting as it sounds, deep fried turkey is actually very good, crispy on the outside and moist inside....cooks quickly too. The fire warning is a good one, the number of decks and houses that are torched out here at Thanksgiving is quite alarming! :uhoh:

London Eye
20th Apr 2009, 13:41
BEagle: Follow the Weber instructions precisely and you can't go wrong.

Follow the instructions supplied with a consumer device; surely the most outrageous suggestion on pprune of all time. After you sensibly advised that any greenery at a barbecue was off limits to all real men as well. You'll find yourself buying a gas model next :}.

jindabyne
20th Apr 2009, 19:42
Calling all gassers - 'bout time you had an input.

Unashamedly - J

BEagle
20th Apr 2009, 21:14
Calling all gassers - 'bout time you had an input.

In Llanddewi Brefi, Daffyd came out as the only gas user in the village:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Gas2.jpg

"I'm with Jindabyne - gas is ever so lovely....... Barbi' round the back at my place, isn't it. You'll be welcome to come to my back door....any time."

kluge
21st Apr 2009, 03:47
Having just fallen of my chair in hysterics words now fail me.

NP20
21st Apr 2009, 04:33
Clean & convenient. Wouldn't have bothered to start a 'real' fire for a couple of Jalapeno Burgers, not worth the hastle. But with the gas, it's just sooo easy.

BEagle
21st Apr 2009, 07:09
If you only want to cook a small meal, put the lid back on your Weber as soon as you've finished searing the beast and shut the air vent. The fire will then self-extinguish without wasting the briquettes....

I suppose jalapeño is probably a convenient excuse a gas user can proffer for having a sore bottom?

bast0n
21st Apr 2009, 08:15
I am beginning to think that if you have been circumcised you cannot join this thread.......................................:)

How about some photos of you, your Weber and a can of that squeezed Weasle that the Yarpies call beer?

Howabout
21st Apr 2009, 08:46
Gas, Gas?

Gas Webers are the equivalent of one-day cricket and would not be allowed in my household. Ponce around in pyjamas all you like young Sirs, but when it comes to real beef, pork and lamb; not to mention roast spuds, your product is but a pale imitation of the Test Cricket of barbeque cullinary endeavours.

A little extra effort is required, plus a a level of strategic planning. But this is far preferable to the inferior product borne of the need for instant gratification. The non-gas Weber is one that allows both process and outcome to be savoured. In short, who the hell remembers who won the last one-day series anywhere??

6Z3
21st Apr 2009, 09:30
Now let me see, Test cricket,; isn't that the one that takes the whole of the first day to get warmed up, needs up to 5 days to any sort of result, normally produces a shedload of very disappointing ducks; and the only one worth watching is called the Ashes during which we usually get thoroughly basted. Right?

jindabyne
21st Apr 2009, 10:02
Only way to go -

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb59/malgrosse/JetBarbecue.jpg

Howabout
21st Apr 2009, 10:58
6Z3,

Ducks on a non-gas Webber are rarely disappointing. There is some degree of finesse involved, but once again it gets down to strategic thought. A well thought out duck is immensly rewarding and, unfortunately, in the shorter and gassed-up version of the game, it's more down to good luck than good management dear boy.

As regards your comment about 'warming up,' I thoroughly agree; with qualification. Time is consumed but, as I said before, process and outcome are both to be savoured; as opposed to the sub-optimal result that comes with gas. Someone once said that 'life is not an end, it's a journey.' A non-gas Webber is testament to that thought:- one-day gas is just an end in itself, whereas non-gas is a life-enhancing experience.

As for the Ashes, I think you will find that when it comes to the ancillary circus that amuses those pyjama-wearing gas-users with limited attention spans, there may be a level of short-term instant gratification - but no one will remember what it tasted like, let alone the cut of meat. When it gets down to real cuisine, they are unlikely to have any real impact in the cordon-bleu stakes that involve non-gas and flannels.

BEagle
21st Apr 2009, 11:27
Jindabyne, the driver / tongmaster of that fag chariot does bear more than a passing resemblance to 'Biker' from 'The Village People'.....:ooh:

I think we should be told......

jindabyne
21st Apr 2009, 13:08
No,no - that's foldingwings's front-seater (nothing to do with back/front persuasion I hasten to add). Please let's not get into the pleasures of back-burners, blow-outs or handy gas-rings - suffice to tell you that I once had a big, black Weber - and it was a bummer. With my trusty Outback (there we go again), I'm on the job instantly, my lady is always well-satisfied, and there's little after-mess - and I can repeat the performance at will. And as for basting, and browning my meat --- it's all achieved without the need for that big, black, soot-filled opening.

kluge
21st Apr 2009, 16:53
"need for that big, black, soot-filled opening" - now then, children are watching. Be warned :=

....without any semblance of a nose or tail wheel I'm not sure which way it goes ? :confused:
Although I do detect a chock on its main wheel - is it rooted to the spot ?:ooh:

Perhaps it's the hermaphrodyte Weber ? :eek:

Where's it's Radula then ?

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Apr 2009, 12:12
KWV Roodi' Red used to slip down a treat, as well.

While playing met-monkey on a certain remote Antarctic base one drove the oenophile radio tech slightly gaga. The cause being the silly bugger didn't bring enough plonk and finding one mixing '81 Roodeberg with Coke to make Catembes was too much for the delicate soul. Probably had a Weber at home too, the poofy barsteward. True believers will never be moved from the trusty half oil drum and expanded steel mesh.

Howabout: Any time, mate. I see you're from the only part of Oz worth inhabiting.:ok: As an aficionado of the Darwin Stubbie you'll really enjoy getting ratted at Gil's.

Invitation stands for anyone on the board who finds themselves at a loose end in JNB. If I'm in SA I'm pretty much on leave and should have no prob making a dent in the monthly production at the brewery.:ok:

BEagle
26th Apr 2009, 19:26
Forgive me, fellow brothers of Weber. For I fear I may have sinned. Perhaps even grievously so.

For tonight, whilst preparing ritual sacrifice unto the black sphere which is the true focus of our divinity, I succumbed to the temptation of Beelzebub. For I prepared a sacrifice which included substance other than the flesh of the beasts of the field, fowls of the air or fish of the deep.

Vegetables. Verily, I confess that, in addition to free range chicken breast from the emporium of Waitrose, I did offer unto Weber that which true believers should normally scorn. To wit, baby corn, sugar snap peas and potatoes with garlic and butter.

Is the start of a diabolical descent into the abyss of darkness? Which, if unchecked, might ultimately lead to the true horrors and awfulness of the bottled breath of Satan’s backside.........gas :eek:?

I seek your comfort and solace at this difficult time of fear and self-loathing.....

London Eye
26th Apr 2009, 20:11
BEagle,

Not only have you committed a cardinal sin today, but you have sinned before in this thread with your outrageous suggestion, at post 328, that a chap might "follow the instructions" of a household item, a Weber no less :{.

I fear that with these flagrant breaches of man laws you may now be beyond absolution :}.

LE

brickhistory
26th Apr 2009, 20:20
Vegetables.

It's both impressive to see and sad to know when someone has just given up societal pressure and doesn't care anymore...

kluge
27th Apr 2009, 05:08
Hebrews 10:6 "In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast ..."

Habakkuk 2:10 "....devised a shameful thing for your house.
Yet that is not the worst; Thou hast sinned against thine own soul, hast endangered it. :=

Penance must be appropriate to the sin my son. Drink five bloody mary's and a hello dolly flagellating thyself with a radish :ooh:

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Apr 2009, 06:18
Beags, there may have been some hope if you'd at least had some nyama on the braai, but chicken? Chicken is considered a vegetable in these parts. Even potatoes are brighter than chickens and have a place on the grill alongside the lamb chops, but chicken...?

The Empire is lost...:(

BEagle
27th Apr 2009, 06:29
The Lord Weber did observe my sin and hath frowned upon it.

For today it pisseth down with rain.

Five Bloody Marys you say? But WTF is a 'Hello Dolly'?

kluge
27th Apr 2009, 09:27
Blasphemer, repent thou must sinner, repent. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth must thou endure for the lord god of burnt offerings is a thirsty diety.......Google be they friend and guiding light

:: Mattoni Grand Drink ...A PLANET OF CONTEMPORARY COCKTAILS :: (http://www.mattonigranddrink.com/cocktail.php?id=679)

It's enough to make you puke :yuk: :yuk: - but then it is penance :rolleyes:

BEagle
27th Apr 2009, 09:59
OK, OK - the Bloody Marys and radish flagellation I can take...

But the vileness of a Hello Dolly :yuk:? 90% of which is non-alcoholic? Is the 'Williams' in the recipe really German Williams pear brandy? Or something from the colonies?

It soundeth horrific. For it is clearly something favoured by those of the gas persuasion...:ooh:

kluge
27th Apr 2009, 10:27
They that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. Romans 13:2

Trust in the Lord Weber with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not := (Proverbs 3:5)

Now make that two Hello Dolly's for your sin :eek: :yuk:

Howabout
28th Apr 2009, 07:12
Isn't it great to have a thread where we can have this sort of banter? I'd never have believed it when I first logged in.

That doesn't mean that you bunch of weasliy, limp-wristed, poor excuses for bbq mechanics can ever equate gas for real cooking.

Kluge is worrying me though. I think he may be quoting scripture a little too much. It's been proven that such an affliction can lead to what has been euphemistically called 'gas fixation.' It's defined as a propensity to return to the Old Testament as a an excuse for delivering sub-standard gas offerings when a little extra effort, through sacred, scripture-approved non-gas, would have gained the blessing of the prophets.

As for Solid Rust Twotter, sorry buddy; yes it was my home, and I lived there three times over 30 years - a couple of times quite extended. Sadly, employment dictated a move(s). So, while NT originally designated where I lived it now, sadly, represents 'not there'. One day I will get back. Too many years and too many fond memories.

Finally, and in relation to Twotter's comments on the Darwin Stubie, who's still around that knows that the actual, original, 1960s Darwin Stubbie was VB (sh@t beer, but that's the case).

Tinpis; anyone??

Roland Pulfrew
28th Apr 2009, 17:37
Oh No! BEags now has me worried, for I have been doing vegetables, well a particular vegetable, on my stout black fellow for years. :O

Mine was an East African favourite in that you take corn on the cob, or maize in African parlance, with all the green leafy bits on. Throw on BBQ alongside some gently searing flesh of beasts. When green leafy bits have nicely charred on the outside, a couple of minutes per "side", take off BBQ peel back charcoaled outer leaves along with still green inner leaves and twist to form a handle. Smother steamed and slightly smoked yellow corn with butter and freshly milled black pepper and hey presto meat and 1 veg. Goes well with an ice cold beer!

Only problem nowadays is finding a (super)market that stocks corn with the leaves still on!!

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Apr 2009, 17:49
Prefer it slightly more processed, ie, sadza.

Can't have a braai without a lump of sadza and a good chili, tomato and onion gravy to dip it in. Use the hand to grab a lump, mould into a ball, make depression in ball with thumb and use it to scoop up the gravy and meat juices. Ambrosia.....:ok:

BEagle
28th Apr 2009, 20:11
Howabout, I did rather wonder about Kluge and whether he'd got a copy of 'Dr Ian Paisley's Primer of Religious Rhetoric - Godbothering for the Gullible', particularly with his entreaty for me to consume that horrible 'Hello Dolly' thing.... But I'll let him off, as he also suggested no less than 5 Bloody Marys!

The 'Hello Dolly' sounds rather like eating the by-products of a teenager's face....:yuk: Perhaps understandable if you're a teenager of the opposite sex, with more hormones than discretion, 'dancing' in a dark room whilst indulging in somewhat optimistic fumbling and groping, but not for those of more mature years.

Roly, trying to find the vegetable you describe up in the land of the DFMB must surely be a problem? But as your recipe undoubtedly stems from the days when most of the map of Africa was still coloured Empire Red, I think you might be forgiven for your vegetablist lapse!

As for SRT's rather third-worldly ethnic pap, thumb and gravy thing......:hmm:

kluge
29th Apr 2009, 04:17
.....ok back down to earth now chaps after that quasi religious sojourn - have been BBQ'ing whole sardines recently (must have something to do with the alchemy of loaves and fishes - recession proof eating etc). But it's all ok now. The twitch is subsiding slowly and I shaved my beard ;)

In the Sterns' Encyclopedia of Bad Taste, Surf 'n' Turf epitomizes culinary kitsch: "the point...is to maximize hedonistic extravagance" by ordering the two most expensive things on the menu; that is, the menu is guided not by aesthetic concerns, but for the sake of vulgar display.

Which of you are guilty of "vulgar display" on a Weber ?

It is time to confess.....

......for you shall burn in the fires of ...........sh!t the twitch has come back - down boy

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Apr 2009, 11:47
Oi! Woss wrong wiff us effnics then...?:}

BEagle
29th Apr 2009, 12:26
I'm sure your ethnic mielie pap, sheba and mopani worms are probably quite lekker, bru....:eek:

However, I shall leave you to it, thanks!

Tonight will see some pig (if it ever stops sneezing) being sacrificed to the Lord Weber, I think.....:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Apr 2009, 17:54
I'm sure your ethnic mielie pap, sheba and mopani worms are probably quite lekker, bru....

You betcha, bwana...:ok:

Try snoek on the braai as well. Paint the flaked open fish with a mixture of butter and apricot jam and place on the grill skin side down for a few minutes with a layer of foil over it. Use the fingers to pull chunks off and devour with fresh mielie bread.

750 ml (3 cups) fresh sweetcorn, cut from the cob
45 ml (3 tablespoons) cake flour
7,5 ml (1/2 tablespoon) baking powder
30 ml (2 tablespoons) butter
15 ml (1 tablespoon) sugar
5 ml (1 teespoon) salt

1. Mince the corn in a meat mincer or food processor. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.

2. Sprinkle extra cake flour lightly on a damp cloth and spoon the mixture onto it. Fasten, allowing room for the bread to rise. Or turn the mixture into a greased pudding mould or tin with an airtight lid.

3. Steam for 2 hours in boiling water

4. Cut into slices, butter while still hot and serve.

BEagle
29th Apr 2009, 18:52
SRT, some of your last post was dangerously close to...........gas
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

I mean, a recipe? Blokes do TLAR*, not recipes! And as for something which has to be boiled for 2 hours? Surely one's servant does that??

Snoek. Snoek?? As far as I'm aware, that creature hasn't been sold here in the crucible of Empire since the end of rationing.... Or so my late parents told me.

Anyway, tonight's pig bits (medallions annointed with copious chilli and teriyaki) were brilliant!

Hope you're still digging pits to cook enough food to keep your township well fed?

*That Looks About Right

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Apr 2009, 21:03
One has been told biting cows in the face before setting fire to them for dinner is tres infra dig. Apparently SNAGs (sensitive new age guys) get more tottie than us Neanderthals so one is holding the pose in order to con a nubile young ntombezaan with big mazumbies within range.

The snoek will have been caught bare handed and snatched from the jaws of a shark by the chef of course. None of this frozen stuff if you please.

The mielie bread makes a good lining for more beer while the ntombezaan does the dishes.:E

Howabout
30th Apr 2009, 06:53
BEagle,

Brilliant. While I didn't exactly have the analogy right in my head, the 'eating the by-products' comment sort of nails it for me. I agree: I'll give 'Hello' a miss and progress straight to the Bloody Marys. It won't be the first time I've fasted to satisfy Kluge's prophets in pursuit of absolute purification.

Also, as a dedicated afficianado of the longer form of the game, I could never, ever countenance a Weber being used for something as base as 'grilling.' I think you are right Moriarty (BEagle), regarding heresy on the part of SRT. I, too, suspect that the abomination, known unto the Lord as gas, may have gripped his soul.

And the fires of damnation will descend upon thee, SRT, if thou does not mend thy ways and, yeah, surrender this vile and base pusuit of instant (and short form of the game) gratification........ Jeez, Sorry, I didn't realise that Kluge's affliction was contagious and could be transmitted via the net. And I was worried about a 'flu pandemic.

As for Ian Paisley, I always thought that Dave Allen was a much more believable Ian Paisley.

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Apr 2009, 10:51
Gas? One is pure, being of the ascetic persuasion and using only that ordained by the fire gods to perform the ritual of tanning a chop or three. Only the most pure are able to use the half oil drum and strip of expanded steel with any success, unlike you bunch of gaylords and your Weber abominations.

I fear a schism is imminent....

GPMG
30th Apr 2009, 11:35
I guess I'll have to throw my hat in with the Gas brigade.

I recieved a large Outback BBQ for my birthday (after having asked for it) Cost in early January: £99.00. Now on sale for £229.00.

Sprinkle on some Oak chips for that smoked taste but none of the prehistoric problems of charcoal.

I still use charcoal now and then on holiday, it just reminds me how good a decent gas set up is.

BEagle
30th Apr 2009, 12:54
I guess I'll have to throw my hat in with the Gas brigade.

I guess that'll be a brown hat then?

GPMG
30th Apr 2009, 13:17
Don't knock it until you've tried it :)

Checkboard
30th Apr 2009, 17:21
Back on page 5:

What is salad?

Food is what goes on the Barbie. Salad is what food eats.

Charcoal from a packet, lighter fluid, gas - all on the gay side IMHO.

Pile of bricks stacked up, or objects made of steel reconfigured (especially with welding equipment) and wood, lit with wood (and perhaps a bit of paper.).

sittingstress
1st May 2009, 09:16
BEagle,

Vegetables? Instruction manual?

My sources inform me you are now the owner of a diesel fuelled vehicle. Care to confirm or deny?

Solid Rust Twotter
1st May 2009, 09:44
Checkboard

You're not my long lost twin, are you?

BEagle
1st May 2009, 10:03
Diesel..... DIESEL?? Hell, no. Diesel might be OK for tractors and farm machinery, but it is simply NOT an Officer's fuel!

My motor has a 354bhp supercharged engine, which runs on petrol - for which it has a thirst of Oliver Reed level!

SRT and Checkerboard, the Ethinc Twins, whilst making fire (other than with 2 sticks) might well have only been a recent discovery in your parts of the world, using left overs from old building sites for your 'braai' might be rather eco-freako-recyclo, bordering on the 'green'.... Besides, who needs to fire up such a furnace just to cook a few snags?

Diesel indeed..... Still recovering from that insult!

GPMG
1st May 2009, 10:34
At least he didn't accuse you of owning a Hybrid.

I imagine that you would be both choosing your pistols from a felt lined, oak case at dawn tomorrow if he did.

BEagle
1st May 2009, 11:34
Very true!

Actually, a fellow PPRuNer has a car which runs on either petrol or bottled fart - but the latter is a ruse to avoid paying more tax to Incapability Brown and Idiot Darling, so I'll let him off.

But would any PPRuNer admit to owning a Totyota Penis or whatever that half-milk float thing is called.....:eek:

Jumping_Jack
1st May 2009, 16:28
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3922/att4068892.jpg

Just picked up the new grill! :ok:http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3922/att4068892.jpg ("http://www.pprune.org/

Solid Rust Twotter
1st May 2009, 17:58
Always knew you soft Air Force types were a bit suspect. This Weber thing just proves it. :E

Who said anything about snags? They're for girls and English cricketers. Two yards of pofadder wors and a 4kg Blue Bull steak flung onto the braai while clutching a cold beer in the other claw should just about do the job.

Gainesy
2nd May 2009, 15:16
while clutching a cold beer

Essential, how else would you measure cooking times except in elapsed tinnies?:)

airborne_artist
2nd May 2009, 16:07
Actually, a fellow PPRuNer has a car which runs on either petrol or bottled fart - but the latter is a ruse to avoid paying more tax to Incapability Brown and Idiot Darling, so I'll let him off.

I run my boring week-day car on used chip oil - so Broon and Darling get no duty at all on it. I reckon I do them out of £750 a year, quite legally :ok:

Howabout
3rd May 2009, 09:17
I am not a total abolitionist; only when it comes to the Webber. If the Gas Fairies had read my previous posts, they would realise that my comments were directed, strictly, to the use of that orb of Godliness. My rules, handed down from the Old Testament - Barbeques 7:16 - are immutable. As follows:
Never, ever, cook anything other than a joint, roast spuds and crackling.
Never, ever, desecrate a Webber with steaks or chops - it just doesn't work.
Never, ever, put the heat-beads in other than the sides of the Webber.
Never, ever, stick said beads in the centre - see unsuitability for steaks/chops.
Never, ever, use gas to do number uno above - you've just wasted your money.Finally, Yaweh does smile on sinners. I do steak, chops, bacon and eggs and mushrooms on the gas bbq (hotplate and grill) that sits next to the Webber.

London Eye
4th May 2009, 15:42
Bank holiday and its raining: quelle surprise. At least there was the bonus of Battle of Britain on channel 4 and a certain Section Officer Maggie Harvey to warm things up. Not great for barbecuing though even if you were a gas man :}.

Where does the standards committee stand on instant lighting charcoal? A little bit gas :\, or a sensible choice for a man in a hurry. I have to say that as an amateur but enthusiastic pyromaniac it doesn't really do it for me but I have succumbed on the odd occasion. I will have a pre-emptive Bloody Mary just in case.

BEagle
4th May 2009, 16:00
Sorry about the rain - 'tis my fault for I did both cut the grass and fire up the blackfellow yesterday. Which is 2 incitements to precipitation; had I washed the car as well that would have made the hat-trick.

Still, that was a good excuse to have a gander at a certain Section Officer today!

Howabout, I'm afraid your rules don't count as you clearly swing both ways....:ooh:

London Eye
4th May 2009, 18:19
I wondered why the gas barbecue took my eye at the recent trip to the Burford Garden Centre. I thought that I was just doing rather well avoiding escorting Mrs LE around the various flora, and that the attraction to the Outback was just a size thing. The monster was big enough to scare my mere 22.5 inches:ok: (or 57 cm as many insist on describing the Weber today:() and would have terrified the Smoky Joe. Even though I came quickly to my senses and avoided the foul temptress I have still just lit a log fire and poured a pint of Spitfire so that I might feel a bit better.

jindabyne
4th May 2009, 19:12
Oh, the joy of gas!

A miserable day, village fete a disaster, but back for the barb. Whole chicken on the (electric) rotisserie, sausages and bits of sirloin underneath - close the lid, brollies up, and light the GAS. Out with the VBs (just to remind me of gas times in Oz). Ticks all round.

Unashamedly,

JB

BEagle
4th May 2009, 19:34
....village fete a disaster....

Llanddewi Brefi?

't interweb describes VB as a full flavoured brew, less malty in character and slightly darker than Carlton and United Breweries' traditional lagers. A gentle fruitiness in the aroma complements the sweet malt on the mid-palate balancing perfectly with a robust, hop bitterness.

I'm sure that most Ozmates would have a rather less gay description of what sounds like rather a nice beer....

Bloody weather, typical of UK bank holidays!

Wibbler
4th May 2009, 20:40
Oh beagle give it a rest. This has bugger all to do with military aviation and the rest of pprune think you are theeee most boring person here. Get a life and stop writing about a damn barbecue. It's tedious and they don't want to read about your hilarious, and I write that very loosely, exploits with your barbecue.

YOU ARE BORING MAN. GIVE IT UP.:ok:

BEagle
4th May 2009, 21:20
Another one bites the dust........

Howabout
5th May 2009, 00:31
BEagle,

I'll let your comment slide. Mainly because I can't think of a decent retort.

On the subject of VB, it's the beer equivalent of using gas on a Webber. After a South Australian abomination, or is that an atrocity, that goes by the name of Southwark, it is the worst tasting p155 you could come across. As regards it's odour, think back to your callow youth when you woke up in that gutter after barfing all over yourself following a good night out with the boys.

If I am forced to 'party' with the wife's relatives I make a point of taking a carton of the dreaded stuff for them and Bundy for me.:E

L J R
5th May 2009, 04:28
Just returned from the 'Stan, and the Weber was fired for the first time this year with the full fillet of Beef (Relatively Cheap here in Nevada) for Mrs LJR and the little ones... Perrrfect Weather this time of year in Vegas.

The VB was cold as well.......

Bundy with Coke fantastic.

Pool was 'nice'

Not a Gas Bottle in sight!

For those who don't like it like that, feel free to do it yourself when you visit (I am after all the Sqn BBQ Officer....)

miles magistrate
5th May 2009, 07:07
Thought I would treat the Memsahib to some Roast Chuck with all the trimmings, cooked of course on the mighty and trusted Weber. The beer can trick seemed a pretty cool idea so I thought I would give it whirl. Took a couple of cans to get it just right - but hey the waste not, want not principle ensured that I had a few warmers in the bank. Flashed up the machine, shoved the Chuck on (Indirect method) and sat back to wait with a few tinnies and a good Shiraz - when disaster struck. My trusty Weber, which has given me over 15 years loyal service, had a serious malfunction. The front leg failed at the joint. Leg fell off. Barbie fell over (Definitely a CAT 5 disaster). Chuck fell into hot coals, beer can exploded and beer and snot flew everwhere. Laughed until I fell over – but chaps the question is where is the best place to find a new and trusty friend?

Howabout
5th May 2009, 09:58
Oh, Oh! I just did not detect it, and it was there, right in front of my face. This is a conspiracy of the worst order. Vomit Beer (VB), for the information of BEagle in particular, is the preferred tipple of a significant portion of the GAS addicts.

I had no idea. Now I am in the depths of a dilemma. Could all of this argument about GAS actually be a clever ploy that masks the real intent of convincing , and converting, GAS users to drinking Vomit Beer? In short, GAS and vomit go together - they actually do complement one another.

Is all of this thread, then, just a slick marketing ploy? I am devastated and disappointed that my love of a simple coking method could be hijacked by vested interests that promote a beer with the quality of rhino p155.

I feel used.

Checkboard
5th May 2009, 11:16
Wibbler - given this has gone to 20 pages, I think you're outvoted old chap. If it has annoyed you to the point of going through the effort to register a new addy just to post that, then at least it hasn't been wasted! :D

New barbie - you could try a different solution to the Weber:

Barbecook website - dealers page. (http://www.barbecook.com/en/dealers/index.asp)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2qEGdrZGVnw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2qEGdrZGVnw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Have to say, I like engineering solutions to improve things - and note NO GAS, NO Fire lighter fluid. :ok:

Yes I know you'll hate the music, and the fact the company is Belgian, and not having a hood for smoking the food (in the USA this would technically make it "grilling", not "Barbecuing") ... hmmm perhaps I shouldn't have bothered ... :8

BEagle
5th May 2009, 11:17
'twas Jinda's suggestion, Howabout. Now I know that he swings with the ways of the fuel of Satan's bottom, but as an ex-Hunter* and ex-Bucc* chap, I did actually trust him regarding beer!

miles magistrate, sorry to hear of your loss - but what a way to go. Style!! A new memsahib shouldn't be too hard to come by; however, a replacement front leg for the old and trusted friend can be sought, provided it is only the leg which has failed, not the joint. Typically, a new front leg (part no. 76205) can be obtaned from a web-based Weber parts supplier for a mere £4.88!!

Otherwise, on-line prices vary from £80.99-ish for the basic 18 1/2 inch 'one-touch silver' up to a staggering £314.99-ish for the 26 inch 'one-touch gold'......

Weber only give a 2-year warranty for the legs - mine have lasted for 20!

The only beer to which I have an aversion is that black Pope's pi$$ called Guinness. The reason being that I first tried it at the end of a memorable University Air Squadron* dining-in night some 36 years ago, or thereabouts. The fact that it had been preceded by copious gin and tonic, white wine, red wine, port and post-prandial beer was probably quite coincidental. It lasted 29 seconds - the precise time it took from first sip to gazing at my knees in trap two at ULAS* THQ....:yuk:

Although it does make a very fine base for a hearty autumn beef casserole - shall have a go at doing that on the blackfellow later this year, I think. NOT from any recipe or instruction manual, of course.

* tenuous links to military aviation for the terminally dull!

Gainesy
5th May 2009, 13:40
Hmm. Clean out the barbie bowl, chuck ingredients into bowl, light fire under bowl= barbie casserole.:)

Howabout
5th May 2009, 13:49
Ah, BEagle, if thou were a practicioner of two of the most beautiful aircraft that ever flew, then I am willing to accept your comment on 'swings both ways.' It's an insult, but I cannot take offence from one that has been there and done that - particularly on the Bucc.

As regards legs on the Webber, mine have lasted 23 yrs. The plastic tips have gone, but the legs themselves have proven to be hardy little buggers. Particularly since the orb sits out in the weather unsheltered for the whole year.

As for the perfect brew to accompany the perfect product from a non-GAS Webber, I disagree. I first sampled the black brew many moons ago in the west of Ireland. I did not mix it with anything else, but I drank 12 pints on a particular New Year's Eve. I walked to the pub (15 mins) and crawled home (4hrs), but I was a convert.

I have a permanent cache in the fridge, (outside in the garage) that is dedicated to booze, and I've always got a pack of those ingenious cans.

That's the thing about non-GAS Webber users; there's some appreciation for what grog is appropriate for what dish. Guinness goes with everything! Give it another try.

In comparison, the Gassers 'drink for effect,' given their short attention spans and their devotion to the short form of the game. I'd guess that most of the Gassers would be consumers of some form of bulk wine out of a cask; possibly a disgusting French sauterne that couldn't be unloaded on the Belgians.

In conclusion, this thread continues to make an important contribution to a global exchange of ideas on an issue that is paramount in the minds of all aviation professionals - what cooks it best?

avionics dude
5th May 2009, 14:19
22 1/2 black with wooden handles.Once used in about 15 years.bought in american shop in Rhein'dahlen.Must put it to use.Inspired by reading on here.Always enjoy Beagle's contributions.

BEagle
5th May 2009, 17:43
Howabout, whilst I might have flown both Hunter and Buccaneer myself (the latter not very well), 'tis Jindabyne who is the true FJ mate with zillions of hours on both types, as well as on others! Which is why I trust his opinion on beer!

avionics dude, thanks for the comment. Perhaps the reason you've only used your 22 1/2 inches in 15 years (!) is because the blackfellow's hunger for sharkhole increases in proportion to the cube of the diameter? So a 22.5" needs 1.8 times as much as a 18.5" - and a 26" needs 2.8 times as much as an 18.5....:eek:

Co-Captain
5th May 2009, 19:11
Apologies for the shameless plug, but I've just had my BBQ delivered from these chaps:

Weber Barbecues (http://www.gardenandleisure.com/pages/Weber.htm)

Cheapest prices on the net, courteous and efficient staff with lightning quick delivery. NB, most other sites have put their prices up for summer, but these guys haven't. Yet??

Trumpet_trousers
5th May 2009, 20:33
Co-Captain: They may be cheapest on the net for UK delivery, but when you look at delivery outside of UK, it becomes somewhat less of a good deal. (The delivery charge to here [sunny Espana] is more than the bbq itself!!) I have recently had my new "Andrew Lloyd" delivered from these chaps: Weber One Touch Gold 57cm Dark Blue Charcoal barbeque (http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/bbqworld/products.asp?productname=OTG22D&productheader=OTG22D)
Excellent service, and rapid delivery.

Beagle dear chap, you really need to move with the times - "blackfellow" is so yesterday - you will note from the above link that they are available in other more aesthetically pleasing colours too.

p.s. It is Weber with one b :ok:

Howabout
6th May 2009, 08:47
Co-Captain and Trumpet Trousers

One hopes that in ordering your respective Webers (yes, I made the mistake of two Bs - but the little thingys on the wheels that had the name are long gone) you did not commit the cardinal sin of ordering the GAS version. If the converts have now been swayed by GAS, then things are looking pretty bleak. In short, this signals the rise of short attention span Twenty/20 devotees - and make no mistake, the two are linked - over the traditional form of the game.

avionics dude

You truly do not know what you are missing. The greatest thing about the sacred orb, apart from the taste of the product, is the minimisation of labour. Initially, a bit of buggerising around is required getting it lit and getting the joint on; but after that it's plain sailing. Drink p155, for the next two or three hours, and then get the wife to dish it out - on the pretence that you've done 'all the bloody cooking' and deserve a rest. But, and this is the big but, do not be swayed by the GASSERS. They preach a false line that GAS is as good. It ain't - my brother-in-law has one and the food, in comparison to the true way, sucks. It's like eating McDonalds.

BEagle

I accept that you have an understandable level of admiration for Jindabyne and, with his hours, he must be somewhat of a legend. However, hours in a Bucc do not necessarily translate to preeminence in judging the quality of a beer.

So, the challenge to you is to go out, source a carton of that putrid VB P155, drink it and come back with your opinion. Is that a fair contest?

To the whingers who say that this thread doesn't belong

I have always been an avowed republican for our antipodean nation. That doesn't mean I don't admire (certain) members of the Royal Family.

So I'll quote a much maligned member, Princess Anne - 'Naff Off'

kluge
6th May 2009, 10:08
"barbie" "barbie"

Gainsey - this is not you is it ? :hmm:

Barbie and Ken Doll Clothes | Sew Fourth of July Clothes (http://www.bestdesignercrafts.com/dolls/barbie-and-ken-sew-fourth-of-july-clothes-for-ken.html)

"Oh yes, I can see it now, he is wearing an apron - He is happy and at peace, is enjoying the company of friends, and plans to have a great time." :ooh: :eek:

bayete
6th May 2009, 10:18
For those consdering their first Weber purchase beware...
Don't be tempted by the 18.5" compact, I have an in-law who has one and it is good for all things except roasting that large chicken or turkey.

Gainesy
6th May 2009, 11:54
Well I beheaded my sisters Barbie Ken er.. Kluge.:)

kluge
6th May 2009, 15:20
Indeed.

You are not responsible for this line of merchandise as well are you ?

No.1 Assassin Classic Thong - CafePress (http://clothing.cafepress.com/item/no1-assassin-classic-thong/327890319)

Very suspect me thinks :suspect:

Worn under the aforementioned "barbie" apron perhaps ??

Own up now - you have been cornered.

Gainesy
6th May 2009, 15:48
But they don't do an XXL.:p

Co-Captain
6th May 2009, 17:21
Howabout - charcoal of course.

However, as a recipient of the EO brief I must give fellow buyers the option of GAS... If that is how they are so inclined.

Incidentally, I have taken much inspiration from these (red blooded) chaps in the good old US of A. The only gas canisters in their possession will be the ones they line up for target practice in between hunting swamp rats, no doubt.

YouTube - St Louis Style Barbecue Spare Ribs BBQ Pit Boys Recipe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXRScuvjSQ)

Regards,

CC

:}

BEagle
6th May 2009, 18:12
OK, Howabout, challenge accepted. On the assumption that VB can be sourced in the UK elsewhere than in Llanddewi Brefi, I shall despatch the manservant to purchase some.

I suppose that, if it truly does taste as bad as you infer, I could always relegate it to either fire extinguishing duties - or shove it up a chicken's nether regions for 'beer cooked chook'?

TT - darkbluefellow is all very nice and royal, but the true colour must surely be black? BTW - is that aeroplane you're allegedly working on ever going to fly? In the true spirit of EADS, perhaps mañana implies too great a sense of urgency?

But they don't do an XXL.

Gainesy, there's clearly neither need nor demand............

Trumpet_trousers
6th May 2009, 19:34
darkbluefellow is all very nice and royal, but the true colour must surely be black? - or howsabout one of each? :ok:
Regarding the 'plane: it's a good job I'm not employing Gainesy's method of measuring elapsed time whilst waiting, otherwise I would be needing a new liver by now! Oh, and for the record, charcoal - obviously... :}

taxydual
6th May 2009, 19:38
The local supplier of VB (and, funny old thing, located in Covent Garden, London).

kluge
6th May 2009, 23:40
"Although Australia was colonized predominantly by British ale drinkers, the most popular beer style in modern day Australia is lager. This is likely due to the dry, hot climate of Australia whereas Britain is rather wet and cold most of the year."

Says it all really - a Weber can back up your central heating.

Probably whines as well :E

Howabout
7th May 2009, 01:25
Kluge,

True up to a point; lager-style is very popular, and seems to dominate the sales in pubs when it's sold out of the keg.

However; and in line with my premise that 2/3 of the population should not have the vote, nor should they be allowed to breed, my local bottle shop owner informs me that, more than any other canned or bottled beer, he moves more cartons of - wait for it - .......VB. There's just no accounting for taste.

Personally, these days, I try to avoid the bottled or canned beer - too much GAS!. Instead, I have lately turned to a wonderful invention by Heineken. For those that haven't seen it, it's a mini-keg, but not your everyday variety that, once opened has to be drunk. These little suckers have an internal pressure supply and a proper tap on the top. Once opened, the keg is good for 30 days - normally lasts about two - the beer does not go off if consumed within a month. And the pressure lasts to the final pint. The keg sits neatly in my beer fridge and is attacked with gusto while the old Weber is chugging away. Nothing like a true draft beer, out of a keg, in your own home

L J R
7th May 2009, 02:46
Proof that MY favourite beer - VB - 'THE Beer for Blokes' has out-lasted decades of change by other beers to become 'triendy', 'boutique',,,,etc..etc....

Even the look of the can of VB has not changed since I was a nipper.

Say what you want on taste, but you simply cannot beat it...To me it is close to the perrrfect beer - topped only when a buxom lass pours it for you.

kluge
7th May 2009, 03:22
Well perhaps especially if buxom wenches are involved.....but west island beer doesn't come close to this matey;

YouTube - Speights beer ad from NZ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lR1sEn8nMI)

And just to keep it on topic - It is great with a BBQ or a curry.

PPRuNe Pop
7th May 2009, 07:25
Did you know!?

This thread has been running for over 3 years!!!

Its sell by date is getting nearer and nearer and the adverts are getting more and more iffy and all too frequent.

Just to let you know that we are about to be..............:E -- :=

Just This Once...
7th May 2009, 07:53
Pop - The thread may be 3 years old but given the weather over the last few years that only equates to around 3 full-thrash BBQs at JTO Towers.

When my first 22" Weber gives up the ghost [14 years old now] feel free to close the thread.

kluge
7th May 2009, 11:39
So what's being "iffily" advertised that's out of context with the content then ? :confused:

Italian sausages on the Bushman tonight - and a Chianti :ok:

taxydual
7th May 2009, 12:20
And, POP, it's the only thread with a decent bit of banter running through it.

Spare the Weber thread, please.

BEagle
7th May 2009, 14:05
taxydual, funny you should mention that....

Last week I was talking to some aviation chums - they agreed that the PPRuNe Military forum is no longer the pleasant 'e-crewroom' it once was. Too many moaners and spiteful, vitriolic barbs from those who don't understand the difference between the robust good humour of banter and abusive insults.

Remember threads such as "Who's in the bar tonight' and 'The 1Gp Dining-In Night'? Classics!

PPRuNe Pop
7th May 2009, 15:19
OK!!!! You have a point.

But please control the ads. :=

:{

BEagle
7th May 2009, 15:43
Blond genug!

Gainesy
7th May 2009, 16:22
Pop, to be 100% certain we understand, when you refer to Ads, do you mean the links to various suppliers etc?

L J R
7th May 2009, 18:10
...or is mentioning a brand of BBQ whilst drinking a particular type of Beer advertising....?

Co-Captain
7th May 2009, 20:01
The only reason I bought a BBQ beginning in 'W' and ending in 'eber' was down to this thread. Does that make it one big advert?? :E :oh:

Trumpet_trousers
7th May 2009, 20:26
...and for my part, the only reason I mentioned the chaps I bought my "Andrew Lloyd" from - (won't mention them again, don't want to incur the wrath of P. Pop! :E) - was to highlight the massive difference in shipping costs from the guys Co-Captain mentioned, albeit to a non-UK address. BTW, upon opening said W***r, I discovered some damage, which was put right pdq after a quick email to the supplier - top service!!

37 degrees here today, the charcoal could probably self-ignite! :ok:

PPRuNe Pop
7th May 2009, 21:20
I should think the world knows about Weber by now! It is a good BBQ!

No, it is suppliers and such - beer is a moot point. :=

BEagle
8th May 2009, 04:17
A couple of us posted links to on-line Weber sites; I did it to help someone source a replacement front leg and TT just wanted to show the difference between UK and Spanish prices.

Posts now edited. Move along, sir, nothing more to see.......

Howabout
8th May 2009, 06:20
Or, to quote Eccles BEagle, 'moob along, moob along.'

I also support your sentiments as regards 'fun' as oposed to vituperative threads. This one takes some beating and comes down to good-natured banter.

PS Have you sourced that vile P155 of Satan yet?

BEagle
8th May 2009, 07:21
Nope, I'm currently in the land of real beer - Southern Germany!

Howabout
8th May 2009, 07:45
Matter of opinion!

kluge
8th May 2009, 08:42
Hmmm - seems like a non inflationary previous post of mine regarding a "moot point" and not intentional product promotion has mysteriously vanished ?

And it was prefaced "respectfully" too.

PPRuNe Pop - care to advise why please ? :suspect:

"Blond genug" indeed :(

NO! Btw, I am not blond!

INT ZKJ
8th May 2009, 18:52
.............NEWS FLASH..............NEWS FLASH................NEWS FLASH.....

I have heard from a reliable source that STBD BEAM has not had his charcoal monster alight this season yet due to him being too senior in years and too wobly on the old Stella/MooseMilk combination to be trusted with a can of lighter fuel and a match. Furthermore there is a whisper going around that he has been spied in ALDI looking at cut-price bargin special gas appliances. How can this be true?? More scandalous than an MP completing his Commons JPA claim!!

extpwron
8th May 2009, 23:55
My son recently bought a Dancook Kettle BBQ

Dancook (http://www.dancook.dk/default.aspx?areaid=4)

(BTW although the guy in the picture looks a bit iffy but my son is straight.)

Son claims that his Dancook is superior to my Weber.

Any thoughts

Howabout
9th May 2009, 00:16
extpwron,

I think the bit in the Dancook blurb regarding 'the big selection of tools' kinda says it all. One of them appears to be doing the cooking. The author of the blurb would also appear to need a course in remedial English. If their advertising is that sh@thouse, God alone knows what the product is like.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the male model is from that pitiable breed known as GASSERS.

(No offence intended towards your son - he just made an unfortunate selection)

There is the mighty orb and then there are the imitators.

As an A4 lead, inbound to the target, said one day when his wingman alerted him to a pursuing Mirage, who had spotted them when on CAP, - 'he's no threat.'

BEagle
9th May 2009, 04:43
How, pray, do you get the ash out of those things?

I see no Weber-style paddle or ash catcher on that Dancock thing.

Avoid imitations!!

Howabout
9th May 2009, 13:02
BEagle,

Must be by using one of the 'many tools' that Dancock advertises. I'd suggest that the Swedish male model in the dress serves the purpose.

NP20
10th May 2009, 01:18
A couple of shots taken at Nellis AFB earlier today while BBQ spotting:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/NP20_photos/babyq.jpg

My personal favourite

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/NP20_photos/bbq1.jpg

A line of different BBQs on the pan!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/NP20_photos/bbq2.jpg

One for you bluff old traditionalist pyromaniacs.

For the photographers amongst you, I used an iPhone 3G 8Gb version (the one with the black back cover...

I was going to start a separate thread but thought that it would be taking this poor attempt at humour too far.

Howabout
10th May 2009, 01:50
Good call NP20 - a separate thread titled something like 'My beautiful - insert name of Weber imitator here,' would last about as long as a snowball in the sacred orb, as opposed to the three years this one's been running. Can you imagine the clamour (not) to post on a thread titled 'My beautiful Dancock?'

Dan Winterland
10th May 2009, 02:01
Great pictures - gave me a wave of nostalgia. Nellis BX is where my beloved 22 incher came from!

Some of you may recall I posted previously regarding my conversion to gas. I would now like to rescind my conversion and proudly proclaim that "GAS IS GAY"! The gas BBQ's wooden frame got eated my termites an the Weber was pressed back into service. It's far better!

But just as good is a replacement we bought to replace the Weber Smokey Joe which had a corroded bottom. It's a small table top BBQ from Seth Effrica called a "Cobb" and does food better than the Smokey. Mrs W and I have used it every evening since buying it last week. It comes with lots of gadgets. You can BBQ, roast, bake - even do a full English fry up on it! Forget the Yanks and the Aussies. IMHO, there's nothing you can't learn from the Yarpies when it comes to outdoor cooking.

Note to moderators: This isn't an advert. It's advice.

But this is an advert: For Sale: Gas BBQ, no frame, half full gas bottle. Buyer collects from Hong Kong.

Charlie Luncher
10th May 2009, 04:28
Int
I heard from a Chap down the Abbey that Stbd Beam tried to light the Barbie but his drool kept extinguishing the match, you have to feel sorry for missus beam:bored: Aldi is very working class and I know he has not worked a day in the last 23 years
Beags I believe you are being coerced into some sort of leather short wearing, pickled cabbage wind breaking european to declare Bavarian beer over mothers milk, I'm telling spitfire ales on you:=
Charlie sends
from the land of near beer (why would you bother)

kluge
10th May 2009, 06:51
At the risk of having a post removed on the basis of advertising or having a post anonymously edited - you know who you are - the Cobb is indeed a very good piece of kit despite the need for the special circular combustive coal thing that looks like a pineapple ring.

Some of my boat neighbours have them and I know the lady who is the distributor in HK.

Unfortunately it appears that I am NOT allowed to mention the name for fear of upsetting the stasi. It also appears that the same don't understand the thesaurus capabilities of Google as well (hi guys) :ok:

Howabout
10th May 2009, 11:41
Kluge, no problems with your Cobb fixation; but this is a thread devoted to the mighty orb.

Looks like it might cook nice for two people on a diet with two kids who are vegetarians.

As I said to NP20, why don't you start a thread called 'My beautiful Cobb!' and let's see how far it goes.

BEagle
10th May 2009, 12:12
Had a snoop around 'tinterweb for the Cobb. In the UK it's pretty expensive and about the same as a 18.5 in Weber One-touch Silver.

Clever design, but somewhere it says you have to 'clean' it :eek:. Huh? Clean a barbi'? OK - I admit to scraping dead beast residue off the grill, which might be a bit....gay, but that's about all!

Back from the land of the lederhosen clad knee-slappers, so the trusty blackfellow might well get some exercise later!

Solid Rust Twotter
10th May 2009, 12:30
The Cobb is one of those eco friendly two briquette type braais that make Sandton housewives feel better about the four wheel drive pavement crushers they use to drop the kids off at school and go to the mall.

Anything bought from a shop or that bears a brand name is suspect.

Bunch of screaming mincers......:rolleyes::}

BEagle
10th May 2009, 13:04
SRT, if you feel happier using something which looks like it was made from leftover parts of the less salubrious end of Soweto, go right ahead, bru.

All hail the Lord Blackfellow!

Dan Winterland
10th May 2009, 13:43
Hey, for a recent re-convert from gas, the Cobb is masculine enough for me! And you don't need that pineapple thingy. It works on regular briquettes.

And it's got a wok attachement as well!

kluge
10th May 2009, 15:47
As I said - the neighbours have them (Cobb's) - I don't. So definitely no fixation there.

And as for "briquettes" - surely invented by someone who never left their friends behind :hmm:

Lederhosen, knee slapping and exercising blackfellows - BEagle - is it necessary to advertise ?

brickhistory
10th May 2009, 22:47
Mrs. brickhistory requested a grill out instead of the traditional Mother's Day overcrowded with everyone else doing the same restaurant hassle.

Fillets marinated since the am in what was in the 'fridge along with copious amounts of garlic and onion, salt, cracked pepper.

Potatoes, baked and mushrooms grilled in the leftover marinade.

Somehow the requested vegetable, broccoli I think it's called, was somehow overlooked during the preperations.

She also left me to my fire ritual of having set torch to pyre, enjoying the requisite two Belgian ales and a good book.

The compliments were copious.

Not bad results from a neutered gas transvestite Weber bought three years ago without my knowledge or consent.

A quick snip-snip and he's fine now...

Roadster280
11th May 2009, 00:13
Ah, I have one of those, the Performer, no? Or just an outright pink propane pussy?

Whichever, I'm envious. I have high cholesterol, it seems, so the departed beast are safe from me, just dead birds and fish for me :(

Howabout
11th May 2009, 08:13
Ah SRT, I see that you also suffer from the 4WD Mums in Jo'berg. They are also a plague in this part of the world. One ran into the back of my son's car - at the time she was on her mobile, while simultaneously eating an icecream.

Nothing against 4WD's; I have one myself, which (and here's the connection with the thread - there's gotta be a connection so we don't have drift) is very close to the age of my beloved Orb - 25 vs 23. However, mine is a dual-cab ute with no power steering - a practical vehicle as opposed to those monsters that are known as Toorak (similar to Sandton in 'status') Tractors. Never been off-road, never will go off-road.

A friend of mine came up with the solution - Governments legislate that 4WD's cannot have power-steering. Radical, I know, but the only reason these women can drive these monsters is that they have power-steering. The majority of them probably have GAS Webers as well.

BEagle
11th May 2009, 09:41
....at the time she was on her mobile, while simultaneously eating an icecream...

Blonde?

These ridiculous 'Chelsea tractors' blight everyone's environment. Worst are monsters like the Porsche Gayenne, the VW Touareg and the BMW X5.....

OK for those who do really need them, but for suburbian bling-bitches to collect their fat brats from school? I think not!

Surely a 'pickup truck', 'ute' or a 'bakkie', such as a Dodge Ram twin cab, is better for taking the Noble Orb on outings to the great outdoors? Mine wouldn't fit in the SchnelLKraut, but a Cobb probably would.

Dan Winterland
11th May 2009, 09:54
The Cobb fits fine on my boat for bbq lunches on beaches unreachable by land!

BEagle
11th May 2009, 10:08
Life sure must be tough these days, Dan!

Regards to Mrs Dan and the junior wookies.

I'll bet you sooooooo regret leaving the RAF..:\..!

BTW, roughly how much did the Cobb cost? They're quite pricey here in Merrie Old Englande.

Stands by to hear how SRT prefers to plunder the local scrapyard for his braai materials....;)

Howabout
11th May 2009, 10:54
Actually, BEagle, you nailed it. She was/is a blonde. Air-head personified.

I supose that's why I've always had an aversion to the brunette variety. Although, I must admit, that the red-heads tempted me somewhat in my youth.

But, to keep it on thread, I can't remember any of those darlings being potential GASSERS, let alone monster tractor drivers.

PS Have you found that VB P155 yet - a deal's a deal buddy!

BEagle
11th May 2009, 14:49
Actually, BEagle, you nailed it.

:eek: 'tis a lie - I've never even met her!

As for the VB Bitter, I can easily obtain a 24 bottle case, but will see if I can find a smaller quantity first, in case it isn't to my liking!

kluge
12th May 2009, 02:42
In HK Cobbs cost (on discount from the supplier that I can't name but which is named after a place south of Sydney and rhymes with 'service bay'):

Stainless Steel: HK$1,200 - GBP102.00
Enamel: HK$900 - GBP76.

Apparently there is a 25% discount on at present.

Not sure the price of "steel black balls" though.

Dan - hope u got the discount. Stink pot or yacht ? Maybe we've passed or raced each other on the water.

Certainly nice weather for it here at present.

Hope the UK wx is good. Will be in the Arundel area and London from friday. "Rules" anyone ?

L J R
12th May 2009, 03:21
Beagle,

Quote:

As for the VB Bitter, I can easily obtain a 24 bottle case, but will see if I can find a smaller quantity first, in case it isn't to my liking!

if that is the case, then send the unused ones to me, as the labelling here is insufficient to sell the stuff at my current abode.

Dan Winterland
12th May 2009, 03:34
That's about what I paid in the 26 floor furniture extravangza at Ap Lei Chau. And I got the discount. As for the boat, neither - it's a beach cat. The gadget goes in a waterproof bag and gets strapped to the trampolene. The beers go in the hull in a cold bag.

Perhaps we should arrange a bring a Cobb and cold tinnies to a remote beach expedition?

Hi BEags, Yep, I'm really miising doing QRA at HMP Mount Pleasant and saulting the flag in near freezing drizzle. Mrs W sends her regards back. Had the 22" black thingy fired up last night to feed some people who who you will remember from old. As for VB. My best advice is don't! It's not bitter, it tastes more like a mild - think Watney's mild from the 1970's and you'll get the picture. My local sells VB on tap to appease the local tamer antipodeans. But it does manage to redeem themselves by also selling an excellent pint of Budowice on tap as well as Maisels Weiss.

jindabyne
12th May 2009, 09:49
BEags,

Throughout four years of being gassed at least weekly in Oz, where I never once came across any charcoal-mates, I was happily weaned onto cold VB (won't tell where I lived as that would cause Howabout to crease himself). Now habitually back on John Smiths (no groaning please) I nevertheless still turn to VB for my barbie tipple, bought in either 6 or 24 pack from my local super. Give it a whirl - but don't be seen doing it, you might be accused of turning (but then I quietly suspect that you did so long ago, Weber or no).

PS: Gas-machine thoroughly minted yesterday, and VB stockpiled in advance of visiting OZ mates' invasion on Saturday. No pi**ing about with coals - waste of good drinkin' time, not to mention that awful pollution and mess.

BEagle
12th May 2009, 10:46
Shall turn the other cheek to that outrageously libellous insinuation, jinda'! In any case, Her Loveliness would soon disabuse you.

In the interests of scientific research, I shall attempt to obtain some VB locally. After it has been chilled, I will give it a try in camera and report back.

Enjoy blowing the froth with your Oz-mates. From Queensland are they?

Howabout
12th May 2009, 11:50
jindabyne, while I think that your practices are heathen, and you would well know my opinion of GASSERS, I, nonetheless, feel honoured to be mentioned in your post, given the cred that BEagle ascribes to you. Nonetheless, GAS sucks and always will.

As regards the VB, have you suffered some accident that's affected the taste-buds? Too much time on full oxy the morning after a dining-in maybe? As I mentioned previously, I'm an antipodeon and an avowed republican, but I cannot support the contention that VB is beer - I'm actually trashing an Australian icon ; viz telling the POMS that one of our beers is rubbish; which it is. My son, who has a mind of his own, described it as 'awful P155' first time he tried it. That was 4 years back and he hasn't touched it since.

BEagle, when you buy this stuff and crack the can/bottle make sure that you have a stout bucket near by.

It's late this end, but this thread encouraged me to arc up the Weber this evening and the lamb's just about done. Mrs Howabout decided she wanted to watch the latest James Bond (hussey!) on pay TV, that I could do the 'cooking' and bugger the lateness.

I know that I will pay for this in the morning and I don't have recourse to full oxy.

Jumping_Jack
12th May 2009, 11:55
Kluge

Cobbs cheaper in UK and with free delivery....:ok: Might get one to replace my knackered Smokey Joe.

c130jtechie
12th May 2009, 12:18
Sad times, after 18 years my Weber is finally being replaced :(, the kettle is fine but where the leg supports weld to the base they have all rotten away, however have just ordered my new Weber Gold 57", hope that lasts as long:ok:.

I did think about a Gas one but..........................just couldn't do it.

My first was bought near Pope AFB and brought home by the mighty Albert.

Howabout
12th May 2009, 12:48
c130jtechie,

Thou art truly one of the converted. To replace the revered ORB - a distressing exercise in itself - to consider GAS, and to then reject the idea, says volumes.

The GASSERS can live in their fantasy land, but nothing beats a (VB-free bbq) joint done with the heat-beads (as we call them here). GAS just doesn't cut it.

It's like the difference between Rugby League and Union. The former is the preferred game for the short attention span GASSERS, while the pure form of the game is generally supported by the more cerebral, non-gas, afficianados.

Welcome to the thread. Please let us know how the first feed, from your Mighty non-gas Orb, turns out.

c130jtechie
12th May 2009, 13:00
Howabout

Thanks, after 18 years without gas I didn't think I would convert and thank goodness I didn't.

Hurrah!!

BEagle
12th May 2009, 13:39
...however have just ordered my new Weber Gold 57"...

And a truly mighty non-gas Orb it would indeed be, at 57". Presumably that's 57 centipedemetres, or 22.5"!!

Enjoy - and congratulations on having shunned the siren allure of the fuel of Satan's bottom!

BEagle
12th May 2009, 15:41
My investigations today led me to discover that neither Waitrose nor Sainsburys here in British West Oxfordshire stock Victoria Bitter. We don't have a Cohen's, so I've no idea whether they sell it.

And so it was that I set forth this afternoon to a bulk booze place in Summertown, whence I purchased a case of 24 stubbies. 2 of which are now rapidly cooling in the freezer, ready for an 1800 tasting.

Jinda', I'm trusting you on this, despite your libellous comment earlier!

John Eacott
12th May 2009, 20:14
BEagle,

VB :hmm:

http://www.crackedkettle.com/store/images/Victoria_Bitter.jpg

Green stubbies are OK at the cricket (or footy), but a bit hard core for barbies.

Even MB (red stubbies) aren't much better:

http://www.fosters.com.au/enjoy/images/img_melbournebitter.jpg

Anyone who uses the barbie on a regular basis will cook with gas, and inevitably have a decent glass of CabSav these days, or maybe a Blonde or a Crownie if it's hot (>35C qualifies :p).

Heat beads/coals are:

1) a PITA
2) a fire hazard on Total Fire Ban days

QED: our nice little balcony barbie :ok:

http://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/media/CB4CDSE-01-lrg.1317.jpg

L J R
12th May 2009, 20:34
Thats Cruel John-----it is 100 Degrees here Today, and I can only Look at the VB..!

and BTW, the Crownies are EXACTLY the same beer... to VB - just priced higher to trick you into thinking it is better.

kluge
13th May 2009, 01:04
Jindabyne and John Eacott - you are speaking from experience sirs.

And especially if you are on a boat. However BBQs on boats in UK would be unthinkable, the tidal range is too wide :8

"Heat beads" sound like a hippy name for "briquettes" - very foo foo. :suspect:

Dan - "beach cat" eh. Super fun. :ok:

Contrary to the idea that pussies don't like getting wet. :E

I'd have to stay off the beach as I draw 6ft. However beach forays are possible via the 3m RIB tender. And we do have onboard fridge/freezer/ice boxes for super cold Little Brown Bottles or Carlsybags and other assorted entertainments permitting overnight and extended blue water operations. Could be a plan in the making. Sounds like you live in "The Truman Show". I'm south side in between aquarium-on-the-mountain and the jockistani-named-zoo-town, not a million miles away from where you sourced your Cobb.

The Baron
13th May 2009, 06:05
I too have a beautiful black 22" weber that's the pinnacle in cooking excellence. You cannot beat the orb when it comes to turkey or a pork rack.
Gas truly is for poofters. VB is more suited to gas users, to those followers of a strange form of football where they get dressed up in multi coloured singlet tops and their little sister's pants. I much prefer a Becks, Spaten or sometimes a good Barossa red.:ok:

c130jtechie
13th May 2009, 06:50
BEagle

You are truly correct, amazing how we exagerate size sometimes :), I just wish I could have bought it in the US and transported it home like the last one I bought in the finest transporter of all time.

BEagle
13th May 2009, 08:30
Well, the VB tasting result.....

1. The first stubby was over-chilled, as was the beer glass. So the beer turned into a muddy slush over a couple of inches of flat amber liquid. It went down the sink.

2. The second stubby had been taken out of the freezer and put into the beer fridge earlier. It was then poured into a glass which hadn't been chilled (is using a glass considered gay by Oz-mate standards?).

It tasted fine, nothing unpleasant at all. Better than the rather tasteless Fosters so common in the UK, certainly. And infinitely better than American Budweiser or that soft drink termed 'Coors Lite' which I saw in Sainsburys.

So, I'm with Jindabyne on this (but not with his gas) - fine as a barbi' beer. This will be confirmed when I try the next one straight from the bottle, whilst having a barbi', in the sunshine and whilst listening to Jono & Dano on WSFM 101.7* to make the beer feel at home.

*http://208.96.14.149/wsfm

Howabout
13th May 2009, 09:19
A rather non-commital reply BEagle. Fosters was ditched by Australians years ago and, as for American brews, Coors and Bud are dead-set P155. The best American beer that I have tasted, and it's still below par, is Samuel Adams.

Notwithstanding, I dips my lid to you for taking on the challenge. And, to avoid thread drift, get one of those Heineken (self-pressure) kegs I referred to earlier. The keg and the non-GAS Weber are natural partners. Beautiful food and real draught beer.

jindabyne
13th May 2009, 09:47
BEags

See - m'thinks there might be just a hint of turning there? Tell me you didn't put your VB in the freezer though! Mates not from 'Queens'land - but that place twixt Sydney 'n Melbun, where Howabout and most other Ozzies who've never lived there would say too much gassing is done. And where coals/heat beads are disallowed for much of spring/summer. Hence my gas persuasion and conversion to thereof.

Welcome to this mad thread Eacott RN - clearly a man with a sense of reality, and a fishhead t'boot. Personally, I deploy my stubbies during the cooking phase, and follow up with your own preference of CabSav (Wolf Blass or McGuigans) during noshtime. Nice website - have a peep at mine.

L J R
13th May 2009, 14:19
Rule # 1 - Don't Freeze your Beer. - School boy error mate!

BEagle
13th May 2009, 14:30
Beer was still in liquid phase when removed from the freezer; however, slight pressure reduction when the cap was cracked, plus the chilled glass, were enough to take it to the solid(ish) phase.....:uhoh:

Second one was fine though....:ok:

John Eacott
13th May 2009, 15:24
http://www.crackedkettle.com/store/images/Victoria_Bitter.jpg

+

http://www.metaefficient.com/wp-content/uploads/whirlpool-chest-freezer-energy-star.jpg

=

:yuk: :=

This from the anti Gas proponent? :hmm:

:rolleyes:

ps Fosters: Australia's revenge on the Poms. No one else would touch the stuff :p

John Eacott
13th May 2009, 15:42
Personally, I deploy my stubbies during the cooking phase, and follow up with your own preference of CabSav (Wolf Blass or McGuigans) during noshtime.

Stubbies are only acceptable when the mercury is north of medium rare, and when stubbie holders are required to hold the temperature down to acceptable levels for the 3 minutes allowed to drain the bottle.

Green label tinnies are a second best option, needing <2 minute turn round times to prevent health inducing temperature increase above 3C.

Preferred reds are De Bortolis, Hensche, or (one bottle only, then onto the cheap stuff) Penfolds Bin 95, which is more Shiraz than CabSav ;) Then serve the De Bortoli cleanskins, excellent value these days :ok:

A classic couple of VB adverts:

Z9pAXl2NCQ0&feature=related

4wfgi9hGx1o&feature=related

Howabout
14th May 2009, 11:22
Mr Eacott,

You and I, unfortunately, must agree to disagree - 50% of the time.

We seem to be in sync with the fact that VB and Melbourne are no better than vomit and that Fosters was the greatest joke perptuated on the world. However, your aversion with respect to GAS is somewhat of a disappointment. Somehow, I didn't picture you as a GASSER who would be content with second best.

While my opinion of your professional ability has not been diminished, my opinion of your taste has taken a serious hit. I just never saw you as a a GASSER.

I also edited this because I meant to reply to the esteemed jindabye.

I have had two opportunites to live in that wonderful place called Melbourne, so I've lived in cold and unpredictable climes. If I had to settle south of the border, Melbourne would be my choice. Sydney is an abomination in comparison. I have attachment to neither but, in my opinion, Melbourne wins hands down.

When I last lived there, many moons ago, I had the same Weber as now - non-gas, and the weather wasn't an issue; the only consideration was the product.

Speaking of Melbourne, I was fortunate to get back a little while ago and revisited Carlton and Lygon St. - had dinner at Jimmy Watson's; was there nearly 30 years ago first time and had a few visits since, but the last was early 90's. It was unbelievably good and my expectations, after so long away, were realised. Sydney just can't match Carlton and Lygon St, regardless of how many trendoid 'Rockpools' and Limp Wristed Celebrity Chefs they may have. There's just something about Melbourne that the supposedly 'superior' city can't get close to. And I've lived there too.

BEagle
14th May 2009, 11:57
Actually, Jindabyne wrote:

And where coals/heat beads are disallowed for much of spring/summer. Hence my gas persuasion and conversion to thereof.

So, I suppose if the nannying enviros ban the Only True Fuel at such times, then the fuel of Satan's bottom is perhaps the only alternative when the ban is in force. But when it isn't......:uhoh:

Howabout
14th May 2009, 12:02
Incorrect. You can actually use the little buggers in an appropriately controlled environment. It's open fires, burning off and stuff like incinerators that are banned. The mighty orb, non-gas, is not.

jindabyne
14th May 2009, 14:10
Howabout

Sort of agree re-Sydney versus Melbun, tho' Doyles at Watson's Bay is a bit special. Either would do very nicely right now!

But the gasser's place to which I was referring was 'twixt the two - and in that place, coal was definitely ruled out in domestic areas for much of summer.

November4
14th May 2009, 15:31
Inspired by this thread and some of the previous links (BBQ Boys etc)....had the meat set out in the sauces, the black stuff ready to light, She Who Thinks She Must Be Obeyed doing the green stuff, the liquid refreshment chilling and.....the heavens opened!! :mad:

The joys of English weather!

jindabyne
14th May 2009, 21:29
Nov 4

Wide umbrella does the trick --- bit smokey, but manageable. Specially with some VB.

BEagle
14th May 2009, 21:41
Nov4 - one of the best barbi's I can remember was when we moved the car out of the garage and pushed the barbi' inside!

But keep the door open!

brickhistory
14th May 2009, 22:47
one of the best barbi's I can remember was when we moved the car out of the garage and pushed the barbi' inside!

Then you either already had the Weber to the coals stage or you weren't trying hard enough.

The first match application should result in a mighty "WHOOMPH!" followed by a cloud that gets STRATCOM's attention...

BEagle
15th May 2009, 06:18
Yes, the flash alone probably causes alarm bells to ring at that place where your spooks are looking out for directed energy weapons and nuclear flashes........:suspect:

November4
15th May 2009, 08:09
You're right jb - a big umbrella did the trick plus a pint or three of Waddys 6X and never noticed the rain.

Beagle - sadly no garage. Mrs N4 decided that the garage would be much better used as a study and laundry room and called the builders in a few years ago when I stupidly told her about a thing called a Gratuity!!

BEagle
15th May 2009, 08:36
Sounds like my brother's place in Yorkshire. Big double garage - but stuffed full of female crap which she will a. Never use and b. Won't throw away.

He once found a Rick Astley LP - it then had an unfortunate accident.

She even started putting food in the beer fridge, despite a large freezer in the laundry room......:eek:

Only the female mind will see the sense in providing a room for a £200 washing machine and a £200 tumble dryer, but will expect a £30000 car to live out in the rain at the mercy of passing 'hoodie-yoof'.

Solid Rust Twotter
15th May 2009, 11:05
Weather? Build the fire in a wheelbarrow with four bricks to support the grid. Trundle in and out of the garage with cooler full of beer under tow as required. Even works for a potjie and you can sit on the cooler while braaing.

BEagle
15th May 2009, 11:58
A wheelbarrow?

Didn't think you approved of softie things like wheels and preferred to use left over bits of Soweto?

Cracking effort by 'Chalkie' Stobbart in capturing the 70 year old London-Cape Town and return record for Seth Efrika!

Solid Rust Twotter
15th May 2009, 15:19
Yerrsssss....

Well done that Stobbart!:ok: Not the first long distance run he's done. He took an old Fairchild (24 I think) with a Warner Scarab radial to Oshkosh from SA as well as an RV7 he built. He also used to dabble in the Historical Flight's DC4 occasionally for trips up to Kilimanjaro and other destinations.

Best thing with a wheelbarrow is just trundling out to the compost heap the following day and tipping the ashes -no mess, no fuss.:ok:

Anyone in town for the Lions tour PM me if you're interested in a few jars at a mate's brewery. CAMRA would approve.

nickxge
15th May 2009, 20:32
My Weber bought in some BX some time ago is now a superb plant holder still mobile so can be placed in various garden locations. I went gas but have returned to coals...it's the taste.

nickxge
15th May 2009, 20:37
Bought my Weber in some BX some time ago and it is now used as a mobile plant holder, easy to move round the patio and is a great feature. I went gas but now use coals....it's the taste.

CirrusF
15th May 2009, 20:45
Every time I check into Pprune "My Beautiful Weber" is the top thread. Do the RAF think about nothing more profound or forward thinking than an expensive american-built, maintenance-intensive chunk of tin? I think Dannat is on the right track....