PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful Weber!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

taxydual
15th May 2009, 20:49
CirrusF

It's banter, pure banter. Sorely needed sometimes.

Howabout
16th May 2009, 00:03
BEagle, a few entries back, in relation to your brother, you said:

She even started putting food in the beer fridge

And they are still married?????:eek:

Cirrus F, lighten up - we do this for fun. Plus the thread is the embodiment of 'popular demand.' If it wasn't popular it would have died.

And, by the way, it's not just the RAFor the POMS; this is a Global fixation.:ok:

BEagle
16th May 2009, 07:00
As in black globe!

Yes, the food was soon evicted from the beer fridge, much to the delight of the spaniels who intercepted much of it, and normal order was soon restored!

Howabout
16th May 2009, 07:25
Then, BEagle, I trust that she was suitably chastened and has not re-offended. At the very least, I would have had her on probation for a year. To defile a beer-fridge with food beggars belief. It's akin to holding the short form of game above the longer; or, dare I say it, using GAS in the mighty orb.

Come to think of it, that's another connection. I wouldn't mind betting that the GASSERS, who slavishly follow the pyjama game, are so under the thumb that they meekly allow their 'partners' - and I use that term because I have to make allowances for the possibility that some of them are same-sex couples - to use a fridge supposedly dedicated to beer for other purposes. Talk about lack of moral courage.

BEagle
16th May 2009, 07:51
Yoy probably have a point there - I imagine that those who are converts to the fuel of Satan's bottom are probably equally fond of the pyjama game.

Floodlighting, white balls, and powder blue or cerise pyjamas? Despite KP's efforts, it simply isn't cricket.

Solid Rust Twotter
16th May 2009, 18:14
My home team have just booked themselves a Super 14 home semi final as well as being top of the log. No doubt much revelry will follow around (real) braais tonight, and the fatted calf will be suitably dismantled and lightly tanned with just a hint of chili and garlic.

As is usual in that neck of the woods, those mincers who use a Weber will be made to sit with the women and drink rotten fruit juice while the men discuss the game over a few jars.:}

Howabout
17th May 2009, 12:23
SRT,

Firstly,

Congratulations on the Bulls' result - thoroughly deserved. They've been the standouts this season.

However, there is a strong rumour doing the rounds that you are going to withdraw from S14 and play in the girls' competition. Something to do with time zones. Tell me it ain't true. There's three countries that play Rugby like it should be played - not the 10 man variety with endless kicking, and some poof that clasps his hands together.

As regards the Weber, and your comments; I hope you enjoyed your 'braais' and the lack of women. If you prefer males, I understand totally, and that's your choice.

Just ain't my scene.

Solid Rust Twotter
17th May 2009, 12:47
Howabout.....

The thing has been sorted. We appear to be sticking with the SH. Not sure where the glitch snuck in to make it appear SA was going to be playing with the girls. Could have been a rumour spread by the Ozmates to nobble the competition. Sneaky bugger, yer Ozmate.....:suspect:

Ladies go to a braai to eat the salads they so lovingly prepared and to carp at the blokes about their beer and meat consumption on the way home. They tend to gather in their own flocks to kvetch about their boyfriends/husbands, leaving the blokes to get ratted and frighten their doctors with the amount of cholesterol consumed.

Howabout
17th May 2009, 13:15
OK, SRT,

Once again, congrats on the result. I will be supporting the team this end. We don't have a finisher, so we have to pick one as I have a house full of rugby nuts.

I need a variation on the beer I drink when I arc up my beloved Weber. We can now get all varieties. I even had some Red Stripe (West Indies - James Bond and all that).

The local importer has all types. So, I am figuring on arcing up the mighty orb (non-gas) for the final when the Bulls get through - which they will.

So, as much as it pains me that we don't have a team in the finals, I have to have a side and figure that when I watch I should also be drinking an appropriate brew.

What should I seek?

Solid Rust Twotter
17th May 2009, 13:24
As far as the tinned stuff goes, give Windhoek a try. It's a Namibian beer brewed according to the reinheitsgebot and probably the best of the commercially brewed disasters.

Should be an interesting game. If there's a Saffer butchery in those parts, try to get a yard or three of boerewors. Don't overcook it or it becomes dry. Slightly undercooked is best. Tomato and onion gravy and a wedge of sadza completes the effort. Enjoy and spot you in the long grass for a jar or twelve some time.:ok:

BEagle
17th May 2009, 13:45
God knows when I'll next be able to spark up the noble blackfellow.

There's a low pressure area like a zebra's ar$ehole just to the west of Ireland right now - and all we've had is cold weather and rain from the Atlantic for the past 6 days.... With more to come.

Still, there's lots of VB in the beer fridge! You can get Windhoek in the UK, but it's about 60% more expensive than VB; real German beer is much about the same price as VB.

Solid Rust Twotter
17th May 2009, 15:52
You can get Windhoek in the UK, but it's about 60% more expensive....

Nothing dumber than a homesick Saffer when the beer and boerie lust is upon it....:}

BEagle
17th May 2009, 16:34
Ag, bru....

There's a little place a couple of miles from here which sells Windhoek at £1.35 (17.7 Rand) for a 340ml bottle - and Baynhams traditional boerewoers for £7.99 (104.8 Rand) per kilo.

How does that compare with your prices?

Pontius Navigator
17th May 2009, 16:57
One thing that picked our curiousity from time to time ws the carriage of the BBQ briquettes. Every time we came back from Kef the backend was always full of briquettes and BBQs.

One flight though the skipper threw a wobbly and refused to allow the BBQ lighter fluid on board. :}

And then the steaks. Pure bliss, but that was pre-BSE.

BEagle
17th May 2009, 17:23
Unfortunately, after a particularly greedy Nimrod crew virtually cleaned Kef out of steaks, the Commissary was put off limits to Brits...:hmm:

I wasn't keen on 'self-lighting' briquettes being brought back from the States(particularly before smoking was banned) - but the only thing I ever refused to bring back was solid rocket propellant!

And for the bitter and twisted idiot out there, you don't have to read this thread. And it's 'Weber', not 'webber', by the way......

Wrathmonk
17th May 2009, 17:32
BEags

I suspect your use of the phrase

And for the bitter and twisted idiot out there, you don't have to read this thread.

may just come back to haunt you..... at least once or twice :E

BEagle
17th May 2009, 18:01
Not really, Wrathmonk....

There's been a serial troublemaker about in recent days who is determined to cause problems. However, I understand that his IP is known and a watch is being kept in case he appears again.

Others might noteice that certain people have disappeared of late - it is so naive to think that a PPRuNe identity is completely anonymous.

Anyway, which particular aspect of beer, braais and banter does NOT have anything to do with military aviation?

Solid Rust Twotter
17th May 2009, 18:08
Fook Oi sideways, Beags!:eek:

That's about three times the price of the stuff in SA. Place close to me by name Mader's makes boerie as thick as a baby's arm. Shove two foot of that in a baguette with half a bottle of Colman's Hot English mustard and yer done for the day.......:}

jindabyne
18th May 2009, 16:23
Sitrep

Oz mates have been and gone. VB was voted truly excellent by Poms 'n Aussies alike. Weather was c**p, as (oh, I hate to say this) was the non-coal barbi - only its third outing but, unlike its Oz cousin which died after 13 years, it is a dog (Outback rubbish). Hate to say this, but may have to consider the acquisition of another black thing. Or maybe a better, and more expensive, gas baby? Advice SVP.

L J R
18th May 2009, 17:21
As far as coal/heat beads, briquettes are concerned - you cant beat them, but DONT get the 'flavoured' ones - I'm getting a little sick of the 'mesquitte' taste of a nice bit o' meat....and just 'cos the package has a map of Oz on it, it doesn't mean that we actually use that type of stuff. - the same goes for BBQ brands, beer, some wine and other 'outdoor' products.

I'm Oz and proud of it - and I don't do GAS!, although I sometimes cannot hide the effect of a slab of VB the following morning.

BEagle
18th May 2009, 19:45
.....the non-coal barbi - only its third outing but, unlike its Oz cousin which died after 13 years, it is a dog......

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord Weber!

If you look at the official Weber-site Home - Weber Barbecues & Products (http://www.weberbbq.co.uk)*, you can get the latest info about all available Webers, even those powered by the fuel of Satan's bottom....

Basically, I would recommend that you accept no imitations!

Incidentally, I'm glad to report that the VB is really rather good - thanks for the recommendation!

* This is a link to an information site, NOT an advert!

Howabout
19th May 2009, 07:24
Congrats BEagle on taking up the challenge. While I will disagree and still think it's P155, you were gutsy enough to give it a go. Consequently, I respect your (somewhat puzzling) conclusion.

As for:

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord Weber!

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd May 2009, 15:13
Home final for the Bulls. It's going to be a hot time in the old town tonight. Pretty much IMC with the smoke from all the braais. The beer will flow like Mosi o Tunya and boerewors will be consumed by the nautical mile.:ok:

birrddog
23rd May 2009, 21:11
SRT, just make sure you follow the appropriate Braai Etiquette
vq2SOmwzjUU

Solid Rust Twotter
24th May 2009, 11:58
Not with that girlie braai involved. How can you take those okes seriously when they obviously have no idea about real braais?

Bloody Castle drinkers. End up looking like this...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Lardbeast/CastleDrinkers.jpg

BEagle
24th May 2009, 12:40
Ag, bru, the film was made in London, Engalnd; digging up the garden and using left over bits of building site to build one of your ethnic braais wouldn't have been very popular with the neighbours!

A Saffer mate reckoned that some of those at the braai were probably, shall we say, gas lovers...:ooh:

Well, Dame Nature has at last decided to smile once more on British West Oxfordshire, so the noble blackfellow has been getting a fair bit of exercise over the last couple of days.

I'm almost down to my last 6 stubbies of VB as well....:eek:

How was the game, SRT?

Hi CB, see you and your lovely 'Tin Triangle' next weekend!*

*Tenuous link to military aviation to keep AIDU and his various alter egos happy!

Solid Rust Twotter
24th May 2009, 13:06
Didn't see the game but got the updates on line as it progressed. Got a bit nail biting but all worked out OK.

Gas lovers, eh? Figures. Definitely don't want to drop your sosatie with those folks hovering about in the background.......:}

Ramshornvortex
24th May 2009, 19:40
Hi CB, see you and your lovely 'Tin Triangle' next weekend!*

Looking forward to it BEags, I'm not sure the cafe at WM is a good substitute for the trusty Weber though!

But we can give you a good helping of AVRO's finest.....:):):)

CB

Maisiebabe
25th May 2009, 09:30
Hmm, my boss recently admitted to polishing his lid, is this normal behaviour?

BEagle
25th May 2009, 10:16
It sounds like the first step in the downward spiral to accepting the use of the fuel of Satan's bottom, to my mind...:eek:

Charlie Luncher
26th May 2009, 03:50
Beags
I do hope you were wearing your blue singlet(vest), stubbies(too short too tight shorts) and thongs(flip flops) whilst consuming the Bogan juice known as VB.:}
As a pukka true blue little aussie the discerning ale drinker of downunder would go for one of the Cooper's families nectar drops or a Little Creatures collection.
Net nanny has just highlighted Beagle and thong????:(:=:sad:
Charlie sends

BEagle
26th May 2009, 06:28
Nope, the full 'Donk' lookalike costume might be OK in Walkabout Creek, but not here in British West Oxfordshire!

Where it's b£oody raining again....

A misunderstanding once arose when an Oz mate described the hot weather we were experiencing as "Singlets and thongs weather" - he hurriedly explained that 'thongs' in Oz often means footwear and not those bits of coloured dental floss worn by some women......:eek:

gearontheglide
26th May 2009, 16:19
My fellow Weberists (and devotees of the one true fuel),

I believe I have just experienced what could possibly be described as the perfect weekend. Took Glide Junior to Twickers for the weekend to watch the IRB Sevens. Having dispatched Australia in the Cup Semi-Finals, we watched as England duly dispatched the Kiwis in the final. Slow trip home to Glide Towers on Monday where, upon arrival late PM, one discovered that not only had the Salad Maker done just that, she had also replenished the stocks of Fiddlers Elbow, obtained flesh for the grill AND cut the grass:ok::ok::ok:

Rugby (winning), Beer, a lit Weber, and somone else mowed the lawn. I submit to you the perfect weekend?

kluge
26th May 2009, 17:17
Indeed. And what perfect bank holiday weekend wx it was too.
My first UK spring in nearly 20yrs, grilled cow with Spitfire(*) ale to boot listening to rythmn and blues. Simply sublime.

Is this really the England of my youth. Nay lad.

It was pi$$ing it down first thing this morning. That's more like it.

Solid Rust Twotter
26th May 2009, 18:18
They're even producing blue boerewors in honour of the Bulls taking on the Chiefs in the Super 14 final on Saturday...

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v653/107/27/1269383399/n1269383399_30476024_523810.jpg

Fortunately most of the boerewors yardage will be grilled on the real thing and not in The Devil's Scrotum.

kluge
27th May 2009, 07:57
Wonder if it causes blue poo too ?

"To be celebrated at weekends and at both ends."

Howabout
30th May 2009, 12:18
SRT,

We have just finished our warm-up for the final, which included a hunk of beef, plenty of roast potatoes, non-Gas Webering, and, for the information of BEagle, non-VB beer.

Despite your predeliction for your 'braais,' and your reluctance to follow the one true faith in devotion to the glorious orb, I wish the Bulls well: it'll be 0130 before we see the game here, but I'm staying up, or maybe lying down, to watch it.

Damn, I wish I could have got some of those boerewors for the atmosphere, but we don't have the practitioners here.

Anyway, good luck to the Bulls. Hope you enjoy the game.

BEagle
2nd Jun 2009, 06:25
Excellent day it was on Sunday! Thanks to the kind generosity of ramshornvortex and his colleagues, I had a great time showing some ex-ULAS folk around his mighty Vulcan at Wellsebourne Mountford - XM655 is in fine form!

Then back to spark up the trusty blackfellow and sample a VB or two whilst waiting for the True Fuel to come up to the right temp to cook a couple of Bratwurst and some Bratkartoffeln.

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Jun 2009, 07:34
Ta, Mr Howabout...!:ok:

A great game by all accounts. 61-17 the final score. I missed the game being out here in the desert in my little container and all but not too sorry I missed the huge hangovers that followed.:E A yard of boerie and a sosatie would have been nice though.

Sounds like a good day out Beags. A coupe of kasegriller and a barrel of weissbier would have rounded it off nicely. One is particularly fond of the Thuringi bratties.

BEagle
2nd Jun 2009, 08:12
Normally I'd indeed have had some Erdinger Hefe-Weißbier, but it was a choice between VB and Stella 4% as I'd run out!

I haven't found anywhere in the UK which sells Käse-Griller, unfortunately.

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Jun 2009, 09:10
Yerssss....

Can't even get a Russian and chips at the corner cafe in your neck of the woods.:suspect:

A Namibian mate owns a brewery near where I live and turns out a very nice weissbier. His rauchbier is a bit dodgy but I prefer the weissbier in summer in any case. Just wish the local purveyors weren't so bloody lazy and cleaned out the pipes more than once a week. I've taken to getting it direct from the brewery as the dirty barstewards in town can't (or won't) keep their beer pumps clean.

taxydual
2nd Jun 2009, 09:28
BEagle, seek and ye shall find.

- Welcome (http://www.currywurst.co.uk/)

Now, rapidly trying to find an aviation link to that site to avoid the wrath of PPRune Pop.

BEagle
2nd Jun 2009, 11:04
Well, yes - except the minimum order is half a pallet! Much as I enjoy the occasional German snag or two, even I would baulk at £1185 worth of Deutsche-porkers as that's about 1500 of the things!

Tenuous link between German beer and military aviation (to keep AIDU and his various alter egos quiet):

As a PPL Examiner for the Brize Flying Club, I was empowered to set the RT exam for any military pilot who needed a pass for his commercial licence as one did back then. I did quite a few - then one day a fast jet mate from Germany got in touch. He was on exchange with the Luftwaffe and was about to leave the RAF to join the airlines. Having assured him that I could certainly set him his exam, he agreed to come over to Brize to do it. So, one fine day he grabbed an innocent WSO, got his squadron boss' approval and flew his Tornado on an airways flight to Brize. Then did the exam and flew home again - once again via airways. All that just to satisfy some absurd CAA requirement!

The price for the exam? "Bitte ein Bit!" - or rather, einige!!

Jumping_Jack
2nd Jun 2009, 13:37
BBQ RULES
We are about to enter the BBQ season. Therefore it is important to refresh your memory on the etiquette of this sublime outdoor cooking activity . When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of events are put into motion:
Routine...
(1) The woman buys the food.
(2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.
(3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.
(4) The woman remains outside the compulsory three meter exclusion zone where the exuberance of testosterone and other manly bonding activities can take place without the interference of the woman.
Here comes the important part:
(5) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.
More routine...
(6) The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.
(7) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is looking great. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he flips the meat

Important again:
(8) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.
More routine...
(9) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces, and brings them to the table.
(10) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:

(11) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.
(12) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed ' her night off ', and, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women. :)

BEagle
2nd Jun 2009, 14:12
BBQ RULES - AMENDMENT

(1) Delete 'buys' and insert 'is intructed what meat to buy. Greenery may be at woman's discretion'.

Insert new para 2A 'The woman will watch the fire making process without making any superfluous comments such as "Mind you don't burn yourself"'

(7) Delete '..and asks if she will bring another beer..' and insert '..and holds out his hand for another beer..'

(8) Insert 'AFTER HACKING BITS OFF TO TEST IT....' before 'THE MAN..'

Rev I. Tin
2nd Jun 2009, 16:52
Beags and for all those who remember RAFG try:

German Deli (http://www.germandeli.co.uk)

Schoen...

L J R
2nd Jun 2009, 17:38
BBQ Rules AL-2

Preamble section, insert just after the index, and before Rule # 1:

NO GAS BBQs PERMITTED,

....standing by for urgent amendment staffing thru Handling Sqn... (just to keep the relevance in the mil thread).

GPMG
2nd Jun 2009, 18:13
Probably not manly enough for the Braaimasters here but I managed to make my best burgers on Saturday.
Thai chilli burgers using scotch bonnet chilli's. (very very hot, but still keeping great taste).

Also put together some good homemade sate turkey skewers, which was pleasing.

Yum, just need to find a local supplier of VB, one of the guys said that Sainsbury's sometimes do it.

Itoooooooooons
2nd Jun 2009, 18:19
As if any OIC BBQ would dare get a gas BBQ!

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Jun 2009, 18:54
Got me drooling, Mr Gimpy. Nothing beats a goodly dab of chili on dashed near any meat. Bit of a shortage in these parts but one is making do with achaar and curried chilis.

The best burgers are those done on the grill over white hot embers for mere seconds on each side. Make 'em thick and juicy, slap on a bun and shovel it down. The salad has only one function:- to be used as bait to attract the next course.

Oh, and hot English mustard. Can't do without it...:ok:

BEagle
2nd Jun 2009, 19:08
SRT, your fundamental orifice must glow in the dark with that sort of diet. Be careful lest there are gas fags around attracted by the glow!

GPMG, try Majestic Wine 84-88 Park Street Camberley GU15 3NY - they certainly sell Vicky Bravo at that location. Should go well with your thermonuclear burgers!

Rev I. Tin - thanks so much! Lots of tasty Boche-nosh at that site and well worth a punt!

LJR - totally correct. Gas...., well, it just isn't done!

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Jun 2009, 19:18
The trick is to smuggle ducks in passing and rot their sinuses with the foul efflusion. The real trick is not to blow out your skiddies like a flash bang near open flames when doing it.

That German deli looks the business. Worth seeing if they have sugar cones to throw together a feuerzangbolle around the braai next time it gets cold and miserable in those parts, which should be in oohhhh, about three days....:E

https://www.germandeli.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=154a2579eb8b26b/shopdata/0207_Baking/0427_Sugar/product_details.shopscript?article=0230_Zuckerhut%2B=28SU003 =29

Yup! Zuckerhut - they do have them. Now you just need a tub of gluhwein and a large bottle of 80 proof Stroh rum.:E

jindabyne
2nd Jun 2009, 21:08
BBQ Rules - AL3

Insert (2a)

- Coals men waste valuable drinking time in preparation and
lighting of said fuel

- Gas men hit the igniter and consume extra glass of VB

PS: Re my post521, small mod to my Outback has resolved the issue. Today's rendering (and the VB) much applauded by yet another Oz visitor. Go Gas

knowitall
2nd Jun 2009, 21:45
"Coals men waste valuable drinking time in preparation and
lighting of said fuel"

it is possible/compulsory to drink whilst performing said task

perhaps gas users just can't multi task?

John Eacott
2nd Jun 2009, 22:36
they certainly sell Vicky Bravo at that location

Oh dear oh dear oh dear :rolleyes:

VB or Green Label, old chap, please :ugh:

Jindy 2a :ok:

Howabout
3rd Jun 2009, 09:24
SRT,

No sweat. While I am partial to nationalistic sentiment, the Bulls deserved their day in the sun. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and the best S14 side came away with the laurels. Notwithstanding, we'll tan your hides next year (maybe).

As regards Jindabyne's comment as follows:

Gas men hit the igniter and consume extra glass of VB

I'd forego the 'extra glass of VB' because it would take longer to vomit than to light the coals of the sacred orb.

As knowitall also points out, we non-gas users happen to be multi-skilled. I cannot recall a single instance where arcing up the orb created a problem with my consumption of beer that was of the non-VB variety. Admittedly, if I was solely reliant on Vomit Beer (VB), there may have been complications. Thankfully, we have alternatives.

kluge
3rd Jun 2009, 15:23
It’s been Pleasure And Pain all day with no Current Bun.

Duchess Of Fife not around so no chance of a Barn Owl and I’m Pat Malone.
Fed the Cherry Hog and Brown Hat and I’m stuck in the Mickey Mouse.

Checked the Gordon And Gotch, it’s Harry Tate and it’s time for a steak Tommy Tucker and that's Just the Bat And Wicket.

There’s a wx window – do I need an Auntie Ella - 'Well punk do you? Do you really feel that lucky?”

With my Mince Pies it’s Major Stevens - time to Scapa Flow.

Get the Aristotle, Arthur Scargill a Tiddlywink and make sure the cow is well ’n’ truly Brown Bread.

Fire up BBQ, get the hot plate hotter than Ding Dong Bell, throw on the cow and Bended Knees that cost more than a Lady Godiva and Babbling Brook it like we all know how.

…....60 mins later it’s all in the dishwasher no worries matey shame about my Brixton Riot.

Second bottle of Tumble Down The Sink on the way and we’re all getting Elephant's Trunk, all ready to PPrune.

And it’s all so, soooo - easy, peasy, Lemon Squeezy ……….and WHY ???

Cos it woz don wiv GAS - Guv'nor.

Accept no substitutes in the Tropics - or you’d be Marbles And Conkers
You know it makes sense and that’s no Porky Pies.

And as for a link to military aviation, it's all in there my son. :ok:

BEagle
3rd Jun 2009, 16:48
Harry Tate...

My UAS QFI's grandfather was killed in one of those in WW1 - they didn't know about spin recovery in those days and the RE-8 wouldn't recover of its own volition.

kluge
3rd Jun 2009, 17:24
Truly extraordinary men and nearly a hundred years ago.

"The Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8 was a British two-seat biplane reconnaissance and bomber aircraft of the First World War. Intended as a replacement for the vulnerable B.E.2, the R.E.8 was much more difficult to fly,"

I had the privilege of seeing this – and before the airshow.

B.E.2, Avro 504 and Spitfire debut at Omaka news - Aeroplane Magazine - History in the Air (http://www.aeroplanemonthly.co.uk/news/BE2_Avro_504_and_Spitfire_debut_at_Omaka_news_281474.html)

You will appreciate the lineage, of course.

Although I am not too sure about the link to Webers ;)

Howabout
4th Jun 2009, 06:09
The link, Kluge, is bleedingly obvious. No pilot, in those early, risky and gutsy days of aviation would have lowered himself so far as to be a Gasman, nor would the poor bloody observer. If they were here today, I have no doubt that they would be committed non-gas practitioners who would abhor instant GAS gratification and pyjama cricket. In fact, they may even question (although I can't because it's not PC these days) the orientation of individuals who follow such deviant practices.

kluge
4th Jun 2009, 12:37
Perhaps, but then gas had a more sombre meaning and application back then didn't it.

The modern application of propane does solve the wx window challenge more efficiently than coals though, Jon :ugh:

jindabyne
4th Jun 2009, 12:43
In fact, they may even question (although I can't because it's not PC these days) the orientation of individuals who follow such deviant practices.

I spent four years in your national capital as an aviation gunrunner, and became an AFL devotee. Not the best team I know, but I supported the Raiders and socialised with some of the players, all of whom were practising gassers. They also quaffed copious VB:D. I can imagine the resultant shape of your hooter if you'd dared to challenge their orientation! Also followed the Bulls:uhoh:

kluge
4th Jun 2009, 12:52
.......but they were sh!t :}

sorry had to be done - :ok:

Howabout
5th Jun 2009, 05:10
Jindabyne, old sort, I now understand where you got your handle.

Unfortunately, Rugby League players are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Have you ever seen a game where the scrum was lost on the feed, where the game plan was anything other than 5 tackles and a predictable bomb to the right-hand corner - over and over? Consequently, I agree with your contention that I'd get punched out - what else would a brain dead knuckle-dragger do?

So, I will extend the linkage as follows:

Rugby League = Pyjama Cricket = Short Attention Span = VB = GAS.

Whereas Rugby Union = Test Cricket = Knowledgable Observation = Decent Beer (from any continent) = non-gas.

L J R
5th Jun 2009, 05:44
That is about the most tedious link I have seen Howabout - but everyone is entitled to their opinion of course...!

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Jun 2009, 08:23
Reckon I'm with Howabout on this one.

VB is cat urine, league is boring, pyjama cricket is a waste of good braaing and drinking time and gas is definitely suspect.:suspect:

All Webers are suspect but using gas or charcoal merely indicates the difference between flaming and closet...:E

Howabout
5th Jun 2009, 08:25
LJR,

Thank you; one must keep the best thread going on this famous forum. I am not one to be picky; but, if you GAS, follow league, watch the pyjama game and drink VB, then your use of 'tedious,' when you probably meant 'tenuous,' is entirely understandable.

No offence intended. :}

Howabout
7th Jun 2009, 05:55
SRT,

I originally missed the small font.

I am reading a good book at the moment by a rather eminent historian who asserts the following:

'The Boers greased their bodies to ward off fleas and covered their floors with cow dung to discourage other vermin. They slept communally under buckskin karosses etc etc'

If the choice between being a non-gas Weber practioner and a braais afficianado means I must be either be a closet queen or grease my body daily to ward off bugs, as well as share my sleeping space with other greased bodies, then I'm off to the nearest women's clothing store poste-haste......once I can find those damned black stilletos, and matching suspender belt, which cost me a small fortune.:}

GPMG
7th Jun 2009, 07:14
Well it's been a 'no go' for outdoor cooking round here. I need to get a gazebo set up so even snow stop play.

I did manage to get hold of 24 VB though, thank you very much Beagle for the heads up. Memories coming back at each swig. Now if I can get a bottle of that pre mix 'Bundy' and coke, I'll be back at the Beach Club on Hamilton.

BEagle
7th Jun 2009, 08:50
GPMG, yes, I know what you mean. It's been pouring down since Friday; the blackfellow is getting a good wash though...:uhoh: Although the hubcap thing which normal catches True Fuel by product is full of water....:(
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

Glad you found the clue for the VB! I'm down to my last 9, so a trip to the local booze warehouse will be due soon.

You can certainly buy Bundy rum in the UK; however, I doubt whether the 'alcopop' premix with coke is available. I gather that Clueless Kevin in Oz has introduced a tax on such things; paradoxically people are now drinking more alcohol as a result because most will mix their own to a rather stronger proportion than the premix strength.

Alcopops are rather too close to gas for my taste though...:eek:

Howabout; yes, it is hardly a difficult choice. Roll about greased up and naked in the cow dung with your chums like a Royal Mar...., sorry, a Boer before using leftover bits of native village for your braai - or pay homage to the noble black orb? No real need for the suspenders and stilletos - unless, of course, that's your thing.....:suspect:

Oops - need a link to aviation. OK, how about today's TAF for hereabouts:

070746Z 0709/0809 05008KT 9999 FEW012 SCT040 TEMPO 0709/0711 SCT022 TEMPO 0711/0720 6000 SHRA SCT020 BECMG 0721/0801 6000 BR BKN007 PROB40 TEMPO 0801/0806 3500 BR OVC005 BECMG 0806/0809 SCT020

Oh joy........ No barbi' today then.

Howabout
7th Jun 2009, 12:50
BEagle,

The TEMPO is a slight worry, but it should not preclude the use of the mighty orb. Arc it up in the wife's sewing room. Where's the temp by the way? It's f'ing freezing down here. I know you have crap weather, but surely the thermometer is on the rise.

I gave up on the shopping expedition. I really did think about covering myself in grease, like SRT, and trying the braais. But, at the end of it, I looked at the beautiful orb, felt ashamed with the thought of betrayal, stuck on the stilletos and, would you believe it, snapped a heel.

John Eacott
8th Jun 2009, 01:43
It's the Queen's Birthday long weekend here, and the traditional Ski Season Opening Weekend. No skiing, just an excuse for Social Gatherings in the Alps.

Delighted to report that with constant snow for the past two days, the electric BBQ works well out on the balcony :p

And James Boags finest is the current Ale of choice :ok:

Howabout
8th Jun 2009, 05:16
Electric JE? I'll say it again; Electric JE??. BBQs ain't electric. I have one of those electric hotplate/grill thingys, but would deserve stoning if I referred to it as a BBQ. It's a convenient piece of kit that's useful for a quick fried feed in the morning, and an occassional snag in the afternoon - but it ain't no BBQ; regardless of whether it's used inside or out.

However, I cannot take offence because you are a Boags devotee. Superior beer made from crystal waters.

BEagle, a further challenge - get some Boags, then compare it to that p155 called VB. I think that you will find that the combination of a non-gas Weber (returning to thread) and Boags Finest - made with pure, unpolluted, spring water from Tasmania and the finest hops - will prove to be a very satisfactory combination.

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Jun 2009, 12:05
Electric? It's getting worse.:ugh:

Next thing you bunch of mincers will be going around wearing shoes or something....

I dunno, nick their rugger trophy and they all turn into a bunch of big girls' blouses....:rolleyes:

kluge
9th Jun 2009, 05:49
Swimmers and wellies seem to be appropriate given the weather today.

VHHH 0906/1012 19010KT 9999 FEW015 SCT025 BKN060 TX31/1006Z TN26/0922Z TEMPO 0906/0909 VRB25G35KT 2500 TSRA +SHRA FEW008 SCT012CB BKN040 TEMPO 0909/0912 3500 SHRA TEMPO 0918/1000 4000 SHRA=

Green ones too no doubt for those sarf of Watford. :rolleyes:

But if there is a 30 min wx window there's ample time to BBQ - BUT ONLY WITH GAS :ok:

Howabout
9th Jun 2009, 08:03
Kluge,

30 minutes won't cut it. GAS or non-GAS, you can't do anything decent on a Weber in 30 minutes. John Eacott's electric griddle would be more practical to do a few snags.

However, apart from the cloud, the showers and the TS what are you complaining about? I could arc up the beast in an environment that's got those temps, with a little bit of cover, and without any problems.

Did it many a time in SEA. Hell, if you can't improvise son, in Honkers summer weather, then I don't doubt that you're a GASSMAN.

BEagle
9th Jun 2009, 11:48
Well, I reckon about 45 min for the minimum 'match-to-scoff' time using the True Fuel.

Electrickery? Good grief - indirect heating is simply NOT barbi'-ing. Any way, don't people in HK have servants for such menial tasks as indirect heat cookery? Which, it has to be said, is rather girly.

James Boags can easily be obtained over here from on-line booze purveyors; I could well go for a mixed case of Weißbier and James Boags once the present beer stock reaches Bingo 2.

My, the temperature here today has reached a stunning 14 deg C - yep, this must be our 3-day Summer!

By the way, Kluge, is there anything north of Watford? Strange people who eat pigs' feet and other unmentionable animal parts which a southern gentleman wouldn't even feed to his dog, by all accounts. Tha' knaws....

kluge
9th Jun 2009, 18:12
you can't do anything decent on a Weber in 30 minutes

Yes, I thought so too. So glad that you finally agree old chap.

That’s why you need a lesson in GAS power and hot plates (non leccy of course) my son. You know it makes sense – and especially in between SHRA in S.A.R summer when the Ama/boatgirl/maid has boogered off. Where did I put my rickshaw cane ?

Now then. The noble, magical, humble piggy, from nose to tail, beard to butt, all useful, a walking, snorting, squealing specialty store of flavour.*

Hark – do we have a gastronomic heretic amongst us or could it be Marco Porcello ?

* has been known to cause flu

John Eacott
9th Jun 2009, 23:06
Electrickery? Good grief - indirect heating is simply NOT barbi'-ing. Any way, don't people in HK have servants for such menial tasks as indirect heat cookery? Which, it has to be said, is rather girly.

Ah, but the mud crabs tasted delicious, cooked and lightly chilli'd on the electric thingy, albeit with snow falling outside the balcony ;)

(and keep the Boags at a suitable temperature :ok: )

http://gallery.me.com/johneacott/101554/DSCN5192/web.jpg

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Jun 2009, 23:07
Owning the larger product of the Weber factory powered by the proper fuel I have this week had the experience of lighting it for a luncheon BBQ which got cancelled into becoming an evening dinner party.

Two bags of charcol lit at 11.30hrs were closed down at 12.45hrs and then brought majestically into life again at 18.10hrs without any intervention. Thats most flexible in my view. And still cheaper than gas. And still better tasting.

Coupled with the top top grog from naked wines (put it in google and prepare to amaze your taste buds without alarming your wallet - best value wine in the UK bar none) it was a fine event.

dctyke
10th Jun 2009, 06:50
My weber was purchased at Kalkar px in 1977 (mad dash from Laarbruch when word got out that they had stock in)............. still going strong after a return tour in RAFG and many many camping trips...........
Refurbed with bits I 'claimed' when we did a mad dash out of Incerlik 26 years later. Legs are getting a bit unsteady now (mine and the weber:-)

Howabout
10th Jun 2009, 08:16
dctyke,

A lovely story in dedication to the Orb. 1977 must be some sort of record - can anyone do any better?

I trust that the 1977 version remains a 'manual,' as opposed to the heathen 'automatic' version used by GASSERS. Unfortuately, their short attention spans, dedication to pyjama cricket and Rugby League, and inexplicable liking for a P155 called VB puts them in the 'tragic' category. But we must be charitable, as my dear mother always said, towards those that stray and indulge in deviant behaviour. Hence, we must have sympathy and love for the poor, misguided souls in the hope of eventual salvation.

WWW,

Spot on! Ain't coals so flexible - done the same myself and the beast arced up beautifully after a similar timeframe. I'll take the flexibility (isn't that one of the Principles of Airpower? - memory is dimming - but it injects some relevance for the Mods), and, more importantly, the taste, any day.

Eacott,

Your capacity for upsetting fellow correspondents has reached new heights. You totally ruined my evening with your reference to Chilli Crab. Do you have no heart man??

Kluge,

Get with the program! Hot-plates on Webers? I wouldn't insult mine with such a perversion. It's designed for joints man! joints! Maybe you should get one of those Dancocks that were referred to a few pages back!

As regards Australia's unceremonious dumping out of the Pyjama Twenty/20, I couldn't give a rat's. If I was a GASSER I'd probably be weeping in my VB. As a non-GAS practitioner, I only care about the real form of the game. It's the Ashes that will sort out the men from the boys.

dctyke
10th Jun 2009, 08:34
Howabout,

But of course it's coal powered, it's just not the same with gas! Just been out to take a pic of the ol gal. Note the mod with the ash collector (the bit I 'rescued from Incerlik'.

................er ok, how do I send a pic by url?

Howabout
10th Jun 2009, 09:42
dctyke,

I sympathise. I can post from external sources, but am buggered how to extract pictures off my drive to post on PPrune.

However, I need that picture of the 1977 Weber.

JE, seeing how you tortured me with the crab, and posted a picture of the chalet, what's the chance of giving dctyke a pointer.

No smatassed replies from GASSERS regarding my aged, technological incompetence thankyou.

kluge
10th Jun 2009, 16:32
...regarding my aged, technological incompetence...

Never will there be any comments regarding your technological incompetence sir. := After all this is PPRuNe. :E

An interesting snippet.

"The process of grilling must also be defined in terms of the fuel used. There are several different types of grills, but gas and charcoal are by far the most common. They are also the source of the great grill debate: efficiency versus flavor (and don’t we know it). Today, gas grills represent about 60 percent of sales to household consumers. It is clear that they have their advantages, the most touted being ease of use, not having to add more fuel during long cookouts, and a juicy end product :D . Grilling purists, however, argue that hardwood charcoal gives a better flavor, and a smoky, drier character :rolleyes: . The fuel source for charcoal grills has been recognized for at least five thousand years. No one is certain who discovered charcoal, but evidence of early use has been found all over the world. :zzz: What most consumers may not know is that charcoal is actually wood; it is created by heating wood to high temperatures. Charcoal does provide a distinctive flavor that is not easily reproduced. :8 And with the use of hardwoods like hickory, cherry, and mesquite, the flavor profile of the final product may have infinite variety :zzz: . It is a tough decision for many people: :confused: the convenience of a gas grill :ok: against the flavor of charcoal.” :rolleyes:

In the context of this and the evolution of mankind – how many non gas users continue to scrape their knuckles whilst walking?

Finally – let’s hope that you don’t use Biomass briquettes - they are made from agricultural waste :suspect: . Gives your steak that certain nutty flavour :eek: :yuk:

Howabout
11th Jun 2009, 07:23
In the context of this and the evolution of mankind – how many non gas users continue to scrape their knuckles whilst walking?

Absolutely none Kluge. As I have explained before, GAS = instant gratification = short attention span = pyjama cricket = VB = rugby league. Rugby League is the code of the knuckle-draggers on this planet, particularly in this country. The expression 'thick as two short planks' comes to mind, but in their case it's probably closer to four, or five, or six.....Hence, GAS use, by extension, can also be legitimately attributed to the slow-learner category in the population.

After all, it was a well known rugby league player, who was in NZ for a game, when quizzed by a journalist over breakfast about the amount of bacon on his plate, said that 'yes it was a huge plate of bacon,' but that wouldn't dent the supply because NZ has 'plenty of bloody sheep.' The man was obviously a knuckle-dragging GASSER.

In comparison, the more discerning, and thoughtful, Weber devotees considered both options, performed a mental appreciation process (of which knuckle-draggers are incapable) and came to the conclusion that the flavour of non-gas was far preferable to the (alleged) convenience of GAS.

BEagle
11th Jun 2009, 08:09
Regarding posting photos on PPRuNe, see:

http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/203481-image-posting-pprune-guide.html

Very simple - easiest way is to put your photo onto some free photo hosting website such as Photobucket, then copy the URL into your post.

So simple that even someone with the attention span required for jim-jam 20/20 cricket or cooking with gas could probably follow it!

What's that strange yellow thing up there in the sky? Could it mean that my noble blackfellow might get some work this evening?

dctyke
11th Jun 2009, 10:25
Thanks BEagle, lets hope it works via photobucket!

kluge
11th Jun 2009, 12:25
Absolutely none

Howabout - Now, now, wearing gloves is cheating. :=

Not sure what logic base you are using old chap but it's certainly not Boolean, Ternary, Venn or even OODA in origin. :suspect:

Please don't inhale the fumes from those Biomass briquettes. :yuk:

This chap in Godzone you say, from the Western Isle was he?

kluge
11th Jun 2009, 15:41
It’s all gone very quiet from the non-gas users (nGU's) - smoke inhalation perhaps?

Or is it because;

1. Primitive Man (nGU) = (perceived flavour - history_lesson) + (scraped knuckles/gloves) / Biomass briquettes

or

2. Juicy end Product (GU) = wx_window_advantage(clean+ ease_of_use + less fuel + more_efficient)

Answers as an equation please correcting for density altitude.

John Eacott
12th Jun 2009, 07:55
Anyone notice a trend here? The knuckle draggers:

Have a penchant for Fosters (or had, until steered in a better direction)

Call Green Label "Vickie Bravo" :yuk:

Put beer in the freezer :eek:

Those with the CDF to use gas:

Cook decent tucker (crab, crays, prawns, etc)

Drink decent ales, eg Boags, Coopers, etc, suitably chilled in the beer fridge, failing that stick it in a snowdrift ;)

Wash down the red meat with suitable wines, eg De Bortolis, Hensche, or Penfolds Bin 95. (Look up the Bin 95, BEags: you'll appreciate it :ok:)

It's now Friday Night, time for a wee dram of Dalmore to get the evening going :p

ps at least one knuckle dragger eats at Jimmy Watsons, so there is some hope ;)

kluge
12th Jun 2009, 09:14
Entirely correct.

And with nGUs consistently banging on about their “blackfellows” which inevitably deliver a lesser juicy end product it seems that the tables are now well and truly turned.

Indeed the case has been made and is substantiated - Non GAS Usersare gay.

Q.E.D

Howabout
12th Jun 2009, 12:15
Yep Kluge, I'm as gay as all get out. Gay that the joint turned out so well tonight (family get together), gay that I didn't have to drink VB p155, gay that rugby league wasn't on the TV, and gay that I don't have any fixation for mindless pastimes, like the pyjama game, that fixate GASSERS.

There's a big difference between being gay, in the real meaning of the word, and a fairy that uses GAS.

As for you JE, I'm surprised that you've been inside. As a GASMAN, I'd have thought Pizza Hut was more your style. No waiting - instant gratification.

angels
12th Jun 2009, 12:47
Oh dear. Into the Dragons' Den.

I started a barbie thread on JB, little knowing of this thread -- to which I was pointed.

Must say, I was going for gas. But (without checking 600 posts) I reckon that the simple fayre I want to cook, bangers (snags), burgers, small steaks etc would be better enhanced by the use of charcoal.

If I grill them using gas I may just as well do it 10 yards away on the oven, right?

I've seen a Weber (I'd never heard of them before I started my barbie thread) in the local Homebase, it looks nifty, has a detachable ash tray etc and seems just right.

Does this make me a knuckledragger??!! :}

kluge
13th Jun 2009, 06:45
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/kluge_2006/304075Primitive-Man-Fashioning-W-1.jpg

....and without gloves too.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jun 2009, 07:16
Yep Kluge, I'm as gay as all get out. Gay that the joint turned out so well tonight (family get together), gay that I didn't have to drink VB p155, gay that rugby league wasn't on the TV, and gay that I don't have any fixation for mindless pastimes, like the pyjama game, that fixate GASSERS.

Well, being a Weber user you're merely mincing. The gas users are flaming. Nothing beats hardekool from the bushveld in an old oil drum.

...And I've stopped peeling bananas with my feet, so there.....:}

kluge
13th Jun 2009, 07:26
South African BBQ Etiquette (http://www.spirithouse.com.au/funstuff/south-african-bbq-etiquette/)

South Africans are serious about braaing .
It’s so serious there’s even a hierarchy – first the [B]tong master, then the boerie layer, and finally the fork pronger.

SRT - all sounds very suspicious to me. :suspect:

Sure it's not tongue master? :yuk:

These boerie - pls keep your paraphilia to yourself thank you. :=

And as for fork pronger :eek:

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jun 2009, 07:55
Posers. Probably filmed in Oz or something. Not a real braai - the use of the Devil's Scrotum is a dead giveaway.

kluge
13th Jun 2009, 08:09
Ah SRT - yes you are right, that special primeval fungus....something to do with Biomass I think.

I am reliably informed that the following are images of a certain Weber nGU that posts on this very thread.

Here he is enjoying a joke......

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/kluge_2006/primmtxt2.jpg

.....and then this image was captured when he realised that he didn't quite understand the punchline....................sad really.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/kluge_2006/primmtxt3.jpg

Roland Pulfrew
13th Jun 2009, 09:20
At last I've found a less tenuous link between military aviation and Webers (well BBQs anyway)!

From today's Telegraph:

A man burned his arm when lightning struck a fork he was using to prod sausages on a barbecue. Eric Brocklebank, 64, spent two days in hospital after he was caught in an electrical storm at an air display at RAF Digby, Lincs.....

I was told the only thing I could say as I drifted in and out of consciousness was 'sausages'....

Howabout
15th Jun 2009, 08:28
Kluge, old chap, I feel somewhat let down (in you), in that I thought that you, at least, had some semblance of honour. Portraying me as the equivalent of Piltdown Man, out of something like Lord of the Rings, is a little below the belt; but amusing nonetheless. Desperation, I suppose, as the reality of your shoddy compromise sinks in. I imagine that in the 50's you would have bought an Edsel Ford and parroted its virtues regardless of the evidence to the contrary.

CathyH
16th Jun 2009, 02:48
I protest-unkind to Fat WAAF's
cathy (Ex WRNZAF)

BEagle
16th Jun 2009, 06:26
Never fear, CathyH, there'll be an Air Engineer along to look after you very soon.........

Tried getting some cider (ooh-aah) 'tother day to go with some barbi'd porker. But my favourite tipple is now made by a company called Gaymer...:eek: The ba$tards have changed the recipe and made it sweeter to appeal to Gas fags and London luvvies....:yuk:

So, next quest is to get hold of some 'Natch'. Used to be called Taunton Natural Dry, but Fagmer have taken over Taunton Cider and now market it as 'Natch' - but at least they haven't dared to change it! Proper job it be, nipper! But where can it be found outside Zum'zett......??

kluge
18th Jun 2009, 09:20
Howabout - certainly not intended to be you personally. Although I can see in hindsight how you might think that. There are other nGUs who post on here of course. The images were to visually represent the 40% minority of nGU consumers deduced mathematically as the set 'primitive-man'.

Nevertheless, as a gentleman GU I proffer my apologies for any hurt that this may have caused and will remove the post should you so wish. :)

Now then - Ford Edsels. If you had at least mentioned the Leyland P76 then you could have had the semblance of a thread link. The car designed to hold a 44 gallon drum, which if cut in half (oil drum or the car = same same but different) resembles Gainsey's Beast - Bamby roaster of the gods (see much earlier pic) or SRT's yarpie 'preversions.'*

* Dr Strangelove

Howabout
19th Jun 2009, 00:59
Kluge, old chap, no offence taken. Nothing on this thread is ever taken as being offensive. It's meant to be fun. Your particular, as I regard all posts, was taken as good natured banter; nothing else. :ok:

The P76 - now there was a real dog.

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Jun 2009, 06:11
Back in the land of boerewors and Blue Bull steaks. Maders will have their stocks savagely assaulted this lunch time to make up for ten weeks of bloody dreary Frog cuisine. Having a tin of curry powder in the same building as a stew being made does not qualifiy said stew as a curry, thus the French can never be considered even remotely civilised. They probably use The Devil's Effluence as well.......:suspect:

Although they did beat the All Blacks - How the hell did that happen...?:confused:

Howabout
19th Jun 2009, 12:20
SRT, I must really get some of these boerewors, somewhere.

To keep relavance to a site that is aviation specific, the Springbocks will come here at some stage, which means they have to fly (relevance) so I'd like to have a braais to celebrate when we kick ass and take names.

I get to Sydney ocassionaly. Are there any Yarpie butchers in that area that do the goods?

I can't think of anything better that chewing into a Seth African sausage as George Smith sinks his shoulder into Percy's guts.

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Jun 2009, 12:59
Speak to George about stepping on Pissy's bouncing curls while he's about it and one may consider sending a CARE package your way. Should be a couple of Saffer butchers in they parts. We wither and croak without our meat to sustain us. If you have Kiwi mates there are plenty of Saffer butchers in NZ too.

Jed on ARC RUGBY (http://www.arcrugby.co.nz) refers to Saffers as the Ugly Meat Eaters so that must tell you something. Brilliant rugger commentary BTW. Pity he only does All Black games but you can't have it all I guess.:ok:

kluge
19th Jun 2009, 13:34
I can't think of anything better that chewing into a Seth African Speak to George about stepping on Pissy's bouncing curls
We wither and croak without our meat to sustain us
Gentlemen please. Far too much detail. Get a room. :yuk::yuk::yuk::=:=

Words fail me. :suspect::hmm::hmm:

and even BEagle seems to be confused: :confused:

next quest is to get hold of some 'Natch'More gloves needed Vicar !

BEagle
19th Jun 2009, 15:34
Confused? Moi??

I did write 'Natch' and hadn't left off the 's'. I mean the sort you put to your mouth! Delicious amber nectar of Zum'zett!

Tenuous aviation link - needed a good excuse to have a decent drive to check the car's supercharger intercooler pump, so drove down to the excellent RNAS Merryfield Open Evening last week. Whilst down in the land of Scrumpy and Western, tried to find Taunton Natural Dry and failed - found out later why on 't Interweb.

kluge
19th Jun 2009, 15:51
.......well not too sure old chap.

There's always lots of pink in your posts normally.......

and all this malarky about improving output efficiency and the like..yessss...:hmm:

.... all sounds like too much Botha to me.

Trumpet_trousers
19th Jun 2009, 16:06
Beagle, have you tried these people? They're from Zummerzet..
Thatchers: Home (http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/index_internal.html)

BEagle
19th Jun 2009, 16:28
Yaarp.

But 'tain't Natch!

Heard any more rumours about your aeroplane yet?

Trumpet_trousers
19th Jun 2009, 16:33
But 'tain't Natch! so it's not like we're comparing apples with apples then? ;)
Re: 'plane - no!

kluge
19th Jun 2009, 16:52
thatchers cider company

Maggie's juice.

.....well at least you're talking about the right sex :rolleyes:

Howabout
22nd Jun 2009, 11:07
Just to annoy the haters of this thread.

While the God of bbq's was creating non-GAS bliss on the weekend (haven't done a pork joint for ages), we watched the Wallabies cane the Italians. There's aviation relevance here because the Italians had to fly in.

Next weekend, we're up against the French, who also provide relevance because, they too, must fly in. The French will be a different (harder) proposition, but the Wallabies will prevail and the beloved Orb will be working overtime.

So, for SRT, we are just warming up. I can't wait for the next clash with the world's second-best rugby team.

BEagle
22nd Jun 2009, 12:18
I went to Wellesbourne Mountford yesterday to watch the simultaneous appearance of Avro Vulcans XM655 (taxying) and XH558 (short display). 8 x Olympussies roaring together - :ok:

Whilst walking back to the car past the fast food stands, I noticed barbi'd bratwurst being sold. Properly barbi'd, that is - using the One True Fuel and most certainly not the fuel of Satan's bottom!

John Eacott
22nd Jun 2009, 12:40
BEagle,

Was the barbie from these guys :eek:

http://gallery.me.com/johneacott/100881/DSCN3248_JPG/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/johneacott/100881/DSCN3250_JPG/web.jpg

Munich last year, their 850th Anniversary :ok:

BEagle
22nd Jun 2009, 12:56
It could well have been that Schnelli' operator, John - the barbi' looked pretty much like that one in your photo.

That suspicious looking canister and rubber tube in the bottom right of your second picture is, one assumes, a fire lighting device....??

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Jun 2009, 13:23
That Bavarian braai looks like a good 'un.:ok: Just need to get some real meat on there next to the sausages and other processed stuff. Maybe even some chicken for the vegetarians.:E

I can't wait for the next clash with the world's second-best rugby team.

The Tri Nations kicks off soon. The Wallabies' first game is against the All Blacks so your lot (being third best:E) should be able to have a go against the second best. The best will be waiting for you in South Africa.:ok:

Howabout
23rd Jun 2009, 08:11
SRT,

Touche! Don't have a comeback on that, and had a good laugh.

Our team has awesome potential, after being mishandled by a bunch of dumb coaches, and they will have to fly (relevance) to your neck of the woods at some stage. Robbie Deans is the goods and I don't give a rat's that he's a Kiwi.

However, why is it that Seth African Rugby had the smarts to employ the best running back of the era (Campese), yet our dolts refused to employ his skills. There's only one explanation Kluge, they're GAS addicts.

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Jun 2009, 11:56
I think we got Campese to keep a lid on our halfwitted coach. No idea what he was thinking pulling working combinations off the field and putting in the disasters he had lined up. Came close to throwing it all away. Hope someone stepped on his willy and told him where to shove his coaching methods. I think SA are in the position England were a year or two back - doing a good job despite the best efforts of the fool in charge.

Got the espetada lined up for the weekend. Pork, chook (for the vegetarians) and beef on three foot skewers.:ok:

Gainesy
24th Jun 2009, 13:32
Hmm, that there Bratti Burner looks a good bit of kit, maybe I'll make one after I've built me braai. Already got a skottle lined up, its on a Harrow (av content) parked in the field next door. I mean, shurely he doesn't need all forty or so discs does he?:)

Howabout
25th Jun 2009, 09:40
OK SRT, can we have a decode for some of these terms? They are totally alien - bratti, skottle, espetada? C'mon, give us a break; we speak the Queen's English and you guys are still talking Braille.

By the way, the consumate Neanderthal, Phil Waugh, is back as open-side flanker against France this week. On the other side is George Smith. They are the best combination we've had in years, although I understand that Waugh might be coming off the bench. Just want to see Smith take out Percy - it would make my day.

BEagle
25th Jun 2009, 10:54
Tch...the youth of today....:rolleyes:

Bratti - Bratwurst. Tchermany's most famous sausage! Must be eaten mit Senf (German mustard) and accompanied by a German beer. Or two... Und, vielleicht, pommes mit mayo' :ok:

Skottel - A sort of portable hotplate thing rather like a flattened wok.

Espetada - Large chunks of garlic-rubbed beast on a long skewer with onions and peppers.

Schnelli - Schnell Imbiss - German fast food van. Can be anything from an old VW Caravanette (like, yeah, a Splittie, dude....) to a restaurant on wheels operated by uniformed staff with Teutonic efficiency. At the 1975 Wildenrath Air Show, we had some 90 Schnellis to feed the hungry crowd. Well, there were over 100000 people attending! The Schnellis all arrived in convoy - a hilarious sight watching various Wurstwagens of all shapes and sizes racing eachother down the taxyway vying for the best pitch!

Howabout
25th Jun 2009, 12:54
Sh@t Beagle, I never knew that you'd done the 'chicken run!'

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jun 2009, 13:13
Those are the best skottels Mr Gainesy. Weld three legs on the convex side and a single three foot post with a T-handle on the concave side. Legs about 8" - 10" long so you can slide it over the coals on the side of the fire. Makes great boerie and lamb chops and if you chuck in a bucket of chopped onion and tomato and a good dash of curry powder you can even turn out a decent Ruby. Also great for doing they spatchcocked chooks with a couple of potatoes, onion, tomato and a splosh of curry paste. Good brekkie makers and just the right size for frying an ostrich egg.:ok:

Gainesy
25th Jun 2009, 13:49
Yep, I'm going to base the braii on that of a Mirage mate at Hoedspruit, it had the firedish bit then the skottel, then above that a grill then above that a pot thing hanging on a chain and you could swing each one above the fire as needed.

Made yer basic UK/US barbie look positively Neanderthal.:)

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jun 2009, 15:21
You'll find 'em at most camp sites around here. A post with the various bits on swivelling arms to move in and out of the heat as required. Works like a charm.:ok:

It's what a Weber could be if it paid more attention in class....:}

OFBSLF
25th Jun 2009, 18:20
Bratti - Bratwurst. Tchermany's most famous sausage! Must be eaten mit Senf (German mustard) and accompanied by a German beer. Or two... Und, vielleicht, pommes mit mayo'
Here in Boston I've actually found a decent German sausage maker, with bratwurst, knockwurst, weisswurst, liverwurst, bloodwurst, bauernwurst, and more.

I'm still using the Weber kettle we received as a wedding present in 1991. But what I really want is one of these:
http://grillkitchens.com/asccustompages/ProductImages/pjQDd-ILMgG-UKfVP-gourmetss.jpg

BEagle
25th Jun 2009, 19:35
Is that some type of barrel organ which plays 'Tulips in Amsterdam' when you turn the handle?

Tell me it doesn't use the fuel of Satan's bottom!!

L J R
25th Jun 2009, 22:05
and real men don't need a temperature guage..!

Gainesy
26th Jun 2009, 09:36
Looks like a mobile chip fryer.:confused:

kluge
26th Jun 2009, 10:17
...clockwork powered perhaps :confused:

Could be good sport chasing it around the patio :eek:

OFBSLF
26th Jun 2009, 12:56
Looks like a mobile chip fryer.
Nope, not a fryer. It is a charcoal grill. The fire box is adjustable up and down, so you can vary the temperature.

sittingstress
26th Jun 2009, 20:36
I may or may not have recently attended a friends house for "a great BBQ mate".

Imagine my dismay when I opened my first tinny (some sort of supermarket brand) and wandered outside to be confronted with a bbq attached to a metal cylinder by a tube.

I made all the right polite noises and left as early as was socially acceptable.

During my brief visit I noticed my host had a "Cool Wall" deep fat fryer, a soda stream, and to cap it all a wire vegetable rack on wheels with old newspaper covering the shelves to stop dirt dropping off the potatos.

In hindsight a gas bbq should have been expected.

Tenuous aviation link: all those who attended an opposed Cornish Camping Trip with added bonus period at the end where you got to meet an assortment of interesting people for light chat and one way banter might like to cast their minds back; my 22 1/2" RED Weber was located in one of the rooms there. It had not survived the final domestic move and had been replaced by a mighty One Touch Plus.

jindabyne
26th Jun 2009, 23:21
I may or may not have recently attended a friends house for "a great BBQ mate".

Imagine my dismay when I opened my first tinny (some sort of supermarket brand) and wandered outside to be confronted with a bbq attached to a metal cylinder by a tube.

I made all the right polite noises and left as early as was socially acceptable.

Now gasser or 'tother lot, I think we'd all put up with noshing off either grill if so invited? I imagine that even BEags (the arch opponent of Satan's bum fuel) wouldn't turn his back on an invite to quaff free hooch and Langdale-raised ribeye (well hung), even though it lept from my hideously heated grill. And what were these 'right polite noises'? Surely not gaseous?

Just had notification of my Canberra mate's visit next week - ex-RAAF and now venerable Qantas shag - GAS through and through. Must stock up with some VB and Wolf stuff.

birrddog
27th Jun 2009, 05:14
Coming from the true south (like SRT), I find it amusing that these charcoal diehards scoff at the fuel from Satans bum.

I bet most of them use the easy light fuel pre-soaked with starting fluid! :E

Personally I feel they all have their uses, and I have all types.

For the true die-hards, a proper fire made from the appropriate hardwood, where the coals are then transplanted to the braaing (cooking for you heathens) area is the ultimate solution.

Unfortunately, in these "green" days of "fast living" satans bum fuel on appropriately configured grills, where the fat and drippings drop onto hot "cross beams" where they can smoke and re-flavour the meat do a good job to maintain the flavour (particularly if you have one in your kitchen for the winter / wet wether in areas where appropriate - though the fireplace also has its use).

If you feel you need to cheat you can even put shavings in the appropriate container to get that "wooded flavour", though I dont do this unless I am doing something /experimenting with fish.

Satans bum fuel does not add that wonderful petroleum flavour as many variants of charcoal, and is particularly useful for Spit (Rotiserrie), which is my prefered method of braaing man-sized cuts of meat (like a whole rump/roast, or chicken/turkey for the vegetarians, or a nice rump of port with skin and fat for the appropriate crackling).

My preferred method though is two fires, one preparing propper coal from good hardwood in a seperate fire, and another underneath a whole cow, or pig being turned and basted regularly for a good 8+ hours.

Alternatively a nice poitjie (cast iron pot/cauldren with 3 legs) or a plough blade with three legs welded on (precurser to scottle braai) does a handy job for most occassions.

Satans bum fuel and most charcoal are effectively the same thing.... one in gasseous the other in solid form.

For those who are going to flame me for this sacreligous statement please state in your post what brand / type of charcoal you use and how you get it in your response :ok:

The phrase "horses for courses" comes to mind.

At the end of the day the most important aspects are, did you have a good social occasion, did the food taste good, and did you enjoy your meal! :ok:

BEagle
27th Jun 2009, 07:59
'Big K' sharkhole briquettes from Waitrose - not the 'pre-soaked' type!

Plus a firelighter and some gloop to get it started - burns off in about 5-10 min. Then the fire is ready after about 30 min from time of ignition.

Whilst this may not have the full ethnic authenticity of the voortrekker braaing oxen over native hardwood, it doesn't have any kerosene flavour.

I have a bag of wood chips bought years and years ago; soak a few for a couple of minutes and throw on the True Fuel and they impart a smoky taste. But you don't need many - first experiment had the garden and most of the local area IMC after a few minutes.....:eek:

Rib-eye sounds good, jindabyne! I'm not into that 'wipe it's arse and walk it past the fire' macho nonsense of rare meat though - I prefer a good steak to be like a woman. Lightly tanned on the outside, moist and pink in the middle but with no signs of blood..:uhoh:

What 'right polite noises' did our resident Cornish torturer make when leaving his mate's Satanic-flatulence barbi'? ICATQ!!

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Jun 2009, 09:00
Unfortunately, in these "green" days of "fast living" satans bum fuel on appropriately configured grills, where the fat and drippings drop onto hot "cross beams" where they can smoke and re-flavour the meat do a good job to maintain the flavour...

Sacrilege! You probably support the toothless crab sticks down Durbs way and eat quiche.

Have to agree with you re the ysterhout thing though. Can't beat it. If it rains you just make the fire in a wheelbarrow with four bricks in it to hold up the grid and trundle the thing in and out of the garage as the showers pass through.

OFBSLF
27th Jun 2009, 15:12
I bet most of them use the easy light fuel pre-soaked with starting fluid
Sacrilege.

Chimneys make lighting charcoal easy. Just takes a couple pages of newspaper and a match.

gearontheglide
27th Jun 2009, 15:49
OFBSLF, absolutely, paper and chimney the way to go. perhaps BEags is straying a little close to the 'other side' with his use of firelighters and gloop?:ok:

Just watched Lions lose to the Boks so am a little depressed but nothing a few flagons of ale will not cure. Chimney about to be lit with Bratties, Frikadallen and sections of cow to be grilled. Earlier this afternoon had the delight of the BBMF Spit doing a flypast of a local school fete (Aviation Link :E). Preparing grill on a summers afternoon with the sound of a pulsating Merlin in the air, does not get much better. Oh and Glidette has cut the lawn for me so I do not have to do that as well:ok::ok:

BEagle
27th Jun 2009, 15:56
Sounds idyllic - apart from the Lions' defeat..:uhoh:

Gloop, True Fuel and some bratties later this evening - with a VB stubby or 2 as I'm out of Krautbier, unfortunately.

Wonderful howl from a quad of Olympussies at just before 1400 as XH558 bellowed her way airborne and off to Biggin.

There - does that aviation link keep the latest lurking AIDU clone happy?

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Jun 2009, 17:39
PdV has taken a World Cup winning team and turned them into a bunch of shambling amateurs. What was Schalk (Mong) Burger thinking gouging eyes less than a minute into things? Fecking Crab Stick rugby. Turn the Bulls loose on the Lions to have a real game rather than the charade we have at the moment.

Oh, the shame.....:(

At least we still have boerewors and sosaties with which to drown our sorrows.:}

birrddog
28th Jun 2009, 16:16
That game was not good for my anxiety. 'twas once again a different bok side than the first 60 minutes of last weeks game.

Off to by some hardwood charcoal, at the beach for a few days with my trusty weber that gets the charcoal started by the fuel from satans bum.

Tenous aviation link, that guy who flew past abeam my deck at 30' ASL why don't you come over and we can discuss that maneuver over a braai? (I'm thinking of a spit roast)/

GPMG
28th Jun 2009, 17:31
You want to spit roast a guy? Is this because your near the sea? Or does Weber ownership involve a different type of manliness altogether?
I think there is far too much talk about man Braa 's on this thread.

brickhistory
28th Jun 2009, 18:28
Perhaps it loses something in the translation on the opposite sides of the Atlantic:

One of the joys/rituals of grilling is the application of a match to a well-soaked pile of charcoal and seeing if one is fast enough that the resulting "Whoomph!" doesn't get the eyebrows.

Maybe that's just me...

BEagle
28th Jun 2009, 18:47
Hey, Brick - we'd wondered where you'd been. Still sipping mojitos?

'Spit roasting a guy' does, one understands, imply quite appalling gas practices this side of the pond...

GPMG - man braais!! There's nothing 'Top Gun', sweaty blokes and volleyball about this thread - amongst the True Fuel aficionados, that is!

brickhistory
28th Jun 2009, 19:07
we'd wondered where you'd been.

The thread went all "manly" and soccer, er, football (I think, rugby maybe?), and beer not available here, so I just stayed out of the brai, bra'a, whatever it's called. I translated it to "redneck BBQ" and pressed. Not there's anything wrong with that.

No mojitos for a few weeks. A taste for Belgian ales for the time being.

Some flesh from the oinker on this evening's menu.

Cheers all.

Howabout
29th Jun 2009, 07:03
SRT,

I now understand your misgivings regarding PdV. He ain't Eddie Jones' love-child by any chance? You're right, the Bulls would give any international side a fair run for their money.

Thankfully, under Deans, we are coming out of a prolonged and embarassing slump. Still a lot of work to do, but the team of today and three-years ago is chalk-and-cheese stuff.

I talked to the Weber today and put it on notice that premier performances are expected during Tri-Nations. It channelled, through the dog, that it would cooperate to the max providing I didn't contemplate, ever, converting to the dark side. The dog, in channelling back, had problems conveying to the Weber the connection between 'poof' and GAS. I think he had a degree of confusion between ignition noise and what I actually meant.

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Jun 2009, 08:37
I get the idea PdV is going to lose us the Tri-Nations. The team is not ready to face the Wallabies, let alone the Blackness.:(

Deans needs to remove his digit if he wants to take on the ABs on home turf.

Got a little bag of seasoning at a local spice stall while buying books at the flea market. Bloke guarantees I'll be back for more. One will anoint some lamb chops and have at it later today.

Howabout
30th Jun 2009, 08:20
SRT,

Your first and second paragraphs are somewhat contradictory. I suspect that the little bag of seasoning may have contained some magic mushrooms.

Don't worry about Deans; he's doing just fine. Like a racehorse trainer bringing his charges to their peak for the contests that count. The groundwork's been done; we now work on putting it all together. It's been logical and measured progress and I think we are going to give you guys some very serious problems.

Once we fly in (relevance) and get down to business we'll see who's got the goods.

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Jun 2009, 09:07
Taking note of PdV's coaching achievements I reckon we might just hold the Wallabies but the Blackness may be too much to handle. No contradiction. Bluster and excuses don't win games and hopefully he'll learn that before it's too late.

Bag of spice contains too much aniseed. Non-starter.

Perhaps a couple of pork chops for lunch - salt, pepper, ginger, apricot jam and butter liberally spread on them, wrap in foil then let them stew gently over low heat to the side of the main attraction for an hour or three. Should fall off the bone if done right.

jindabyne
30th Jun 2009, 09:42
Those porkies sound good SRT - I've the ideal quiet, low heat spot on my Outback. Probably give my visiting Canberrian a go this weekend, along with a couple of VBs ahead of the McGuigans. Should enjoy plenty of catch-up gassing -----

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Jun 2009, 10:17
Just keep the rind turned towards the heat source to protect the meat and crisp the rind a little, particularly near the end. Whip them out of the foil for a quick browning if needed and pour the juices over them before serving. Works well in a frying pan as well for those plagued by the three day British summer.

One will reserve comment on the gas thing...

BEagle
30th Jun 2009, 12:53
I blame it on you, jinda'...

Hot and sticky down here; after working all morning the clinking of ice cold VBs in the beer fridge beckoned - so lunch was much enhanced by a stubby of the amber nectar!

Bakc to wrok nwo....hic...:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Jun 2009, 15:12
VB?

Dang, Beags. You have no shame. You probably drink Castle when down south and you're probably a closet gas sniffer.:eek:

BEagle
30th Jun 2009, 15:34
I think it was 'Lion' lager, actually.

Exported to Ascension Island during the apartheid era....:oh: Good job the huggy-fluffies didn't know.....:eek:

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Jun 2009, 15:55
A gnat's pubic hair better than Castle but still pretty vile....

Spent some time on Tristan and the only beer on the island was Harp Lager. It's rare one finds something worse than Castle but needs must. The local blokes would swig a can in three gulps so I guess taste was merely a sideshow to the real business of getting ratted.

OFBSLF
30th Jun 2009, 17:13
One of the joys/rituals of grilling is the application of a match to a well-soaked pile of charcoal and seeing if one is fast enough that the resulting "Whoomph!" doesn't get the eyebrows.

Real men use LOX: YouTube - How to light a grill in 2 seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBLr_XrooLs) :8

Itswindyout
30th Jun 2009, 17:56
I have just seen a "Weber", it a BBQ, thought it was a side arm, or summit like than.

Local Spinneys, has a special display.

Now I can sleep happy.

windy

Gainesy
30th Jun 2009, 21:34
One is confuzzled.

First trip to SA, met at bottom of airstairs @ Smuts by on Maj John Orr, ( RIP) Mirage mate, who proffered two tinnies ( AP days), one Castle, one Lion. I accepted the Castle. "Good " he said "t'other stuff is for feckin Browns, Recce Pukes and Gay Boys".

One noted that Castle seemed to be the tinny of choice in SWA's Ops Area too.
One supposes that since the "enlightenment" and Mandela's Y-Fronts etc, that there are better brews available?

brickhistory
30th Jun 2009, 22:49
Real men use LOX: YouTube - How to light a grill in 2 seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBLr_XrooLs)

Something like that, yes. But without, hopefully, the ring of spreading fire as in the video.

And, while admitting chemistry was not my strong suit in school, isn't LOX pretty close to (at least after the transition) a gas?

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jul 2009, 05:42
One supposes that since the "enlightenment" and Mandela's Y-Fronts etc, that there are better brews available?

I think it all went downhill when they began using mielies to make Castle. Silly buggers even boasted about it on an advert. Ani fule no mielies are only used for sadza in order to grow rugby players to the proper size.

Lion no longer being made either. It was reintroduced for about six months using a "new, improved recipe" but the response wasn't good. Plenty of good brews around from smaller breweries now. SAB can't compete with their quality so they spend gazillions on advertising instead.

Drop by Gilroy Natural Beers - Brewery, Restaurant, Bar, Beer Garden, (http://www.gilroybeers.co.za) if you're in town. Owned by a good mate. Great beer and having it served by his nubile daughters just makes it that much better.

WORT HOG BREWERS BEER BREWING CLUB - SOUTH AFRICA - BEER NATURALLY ! (HOMEPAGE) (http://www.worthogbrewers.co.za/index.php) also worth a look. They have an annual tasting fest for members which usually ends up with everyone well oiled and wearing lampshades as hats by 2am. Braai relevance is that pig, ox and lamb on the spit are part of the festivities.

Windhoek and Tafel also reasonable brews if you can get the original stuff from Namibia, particularly the Tafel from Swakopmund (although it is filtered and pasteurised which detracts from the quality).

Howabout
1st Jul 2009, 07:03
SRT,

You could always keep up with modern management trends and outsource. We'd be quite happy to export all of our Fosters and VB - every last can - and then have VB sponsor your cricket team instead of ours.

If Castle is that bad, then there's a certain logicality to the proposal. We'd get rid of rubbish beers; you'd get beers that are less rubbish than your 'national brew;' you'd have a sponsor (Vomit Beer) that's more aligned to the quality of your team :E; and, finally, you'd have beers that approximate to the quality of food produced by methods other than that delivered by the sacred (non-GAS) orb.

Surely this is a win-win for everybody!

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jul 2009, 07:15
Not much to choose between Castle, Fosters and VB. Bit of a Hobson's Choice there. Perhaps CAMRA could mobilise their military wing to have a go at the factories that produce the stuff.:ok:

John Eacott
1st Jul 2009, 07:16
VB is dumbing down to cope with charcoal-burning demand: and it's all BEagle's fault :{

Melbourne Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,25715780-662,00.html)

AUSTRALIA'S favourite beer is about to become lighter.

The alcohol content of Victoria Bitter will be cut by 0.2 percentage points to 4.6 per cent next month.

The price will stay the same, but the reduced alcohol content could save brewer Foster's tens of millions of dollars a year in beer tax.

VB spokesman Paul Donaldson said it was the only way the brewery could avoid raising the price.

"This is all about making VB better value so that when every other beer goes up in price this August, VB won't be," he said.

"The drought has started to really impact brewing. We've had ingredient costs go up 20 per cent.

"I think we buy 30 million kilograms of barley a year from Australian farmers so this is one way that we can keep the costs under control and keep the beer good value."

The change will come into effect on August 1 and applies to all full-strength VB products including stubbies, cans, long necks and on tap.

Punters were not fussed by the change.

Ben Ilett, 24, of Newport, said even a price rise wouldn't stop VB drinkers from buying their favourite beer.

"People who drink VB are diehard VB drinkers," he said.

Lauren Thermos, 21, of Carlton, said reduced strength beer was a good idea.

"If VB was my beer of choice I'd rather a cheaper price with a bit less alcohol," she said.

Malcolm Pfrunder, 47, of Brisbane, said only die-hard full-strength beer drinkers would switch off VB.

"If the taste stayed the same and I drank VB it wouldn't change my buying patterns," he said.

Brian Donnelly, 20, of St Kilda, doubted drinkers would notice the change.

"People aren't going to notice if it's a 0.2 per cent drop," he said.

Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre said the change would not reduce beer sales.

One in four beers consumed across Australia is a VB.

The alcohol content was cut by 0.1 per cent two years ago.

The latest cut means the original 4.9 per cent full strength beer created about 50 years ago is now 0.3 per cent lighter.

Howabout
1st Jul 2009, 08:02
SRT,

Unfortunately the only ordnance that a decent weaponeer (in the widest sense of the term) would use - napalm - probably isn't in CAMRA's inventory.

As for you, JE, this has nothing to do with charcoal or BEagle's perverted proclivities. It has everything to do with your fellow travellers. While you may not be a VB devotee, and your likeness for Boag's attests to that, the fact is that GASSERS are compromisers willing to accept the second-rate, as are the punters who accept a watering down of something that tastes like P155 in the first place. In short, immediate gratification at the expense of quality; not that there is any quality when it comes to either VB or GAS.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jul 2009, 08:13
Yerrrsssss.....

All the fault of those who subscribe to the gas perversion.

How do you think they get the artificial fizz in the stuff anyway?

Now a good braai using ysterhout, a couple of skilpadjies sizzling gently on the side as appetisers while the world is put to rights and the main course marinates gently in red wine and rosemary. Can't beat it with a big stick.:ok:

BEagle
1st Jul 2009, 12:49
Mate, you're welcome to your minced testicle and entrail appetisers! Only those who inhabit the barren wastes north of Watford eat such unmentionable parts of beasts here in the Mother Country!

Main course sounds lekker though.

VB sold over here is 4.8% ABV; will that reduce to 4.6% in future? Even 'Budweiser' is 5% - and that weasel wee called 'Coors Light' :yuk: is 4.5%...

The nanny state is trying to make 4.3% the norm.....:ugh:

birrddog
1st Jul 2009, 17:42
I see there are more and more closet GASSERS here.... with their namby pamby 4.6%ABV Beer.

Real mean drink > 8.5 % beer, like this nice beer with the pretty pink elephants :ok:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Delirium_Tremens.jpg/125px-Delirium_Tremens.jpg

(As an aside, you see more elephants after three or four of these puppies).

From Wikipedia

Awards

Delirium Tremens was named as "Best Beer in the World" in 1998 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998) at the World Beer Championships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Beer_Championships) in Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago,_Illinois), Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois), USA.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_%28beer%29#cite_note-0)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_%28beer%29#cite_note-1) Stuart Kallen gives it the number one spot in his The 50 Greatest Beers in the World.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_%28beer%29#cite_note-2)

Etymology

Delirium tremens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens) is Latin for "trembling madness", commonly nicknamed "the DTs", indicating a violent sickness induced by withdrawal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawal) after alcohol abuse.

kluge
2nd Jul 2009, 09:12
World Beer Championships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Beer_Championships) in Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago,_Illinois), Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois), USA.

Hmmm lets hope they have a better picture book Atlas than the boys who organize the World Series then*. You can spot the nGUs - they wear gloves to protect their scraping knuckles.

Of course viewing an Atlas in itself might be shocking to most nGUs - the world being round an all that.:rolleyes:

*Hint: remove gloves for easier page turning.

BEagle
2nd Jul 2009, 09:34
World Beer Championships in Chicago, Illinois

A beer championship....in America??

Riiiiiiiiggggghhht.....:hmm:

We True Fuel users don't feel the same need to spot one another as you gas users. Presumably you need to be on the look out for people with a similar 'orientation' to yourselves....:ooh:

kluge
2nd Jul 2009, 09:46
.......understanding that you could be the 40% nGU's Brain Trust does not mean that we GU's understand your need to bark at the moon when grilling.

You'll be asking for NH relief on glove purchases next :rolleyes:

Notwithstanding I do agree with your beer championship comment.

John Eacott
2nd Jul 2009, 10:16
I see there are more and more closet GASSERS here.... with their namby pamby 4.6%ABV Beer

I thought the issue is nGU's waxing lyrical about Green Label: once it became apparent that it is counter-productive to put the stuff in the freezer, that is :rolleyes:

:p

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Jul 2009, 11:33
Label?

9% ABV home brew doesn't have a label.:}

Got a kick like a buffalo on speed though...:eek:

Can't wait to give the Imperial Russian Stout a go.:ok:

jindabyne
4th Jul 2009, 11:17
Herewith my preferred headgear for gassing and VB-ing. Note the return to normal Brit climatic conditions. Oz mate's 747 arrived late - now down to 36 hours before we pour him back down to Heathrow. Still, VB now well-chilled for him, albeit might have to forego barbie (mainly thro' need to maintain duration in pub).
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb59/malgrosse/IMG_0688-1.jpg

birrddog
4th Jul 2009, 15:05

What's the problem? They selected a European brew as the winner....

You should give some of the smaller breweries a try... you'll be amazed.

That all being said, I shall now be heading off to knock several dozen back in commiseration for the hiding that the bok's got today. :{

The Lions played very well, congratulations to them for winning, though one would be hard pressed to say the team they played against today were South Africa's finest.

I'm not sure I have it in me to light up the coals tonight... :sad:

brickhistory
4th Jul 2009, 22:58
Pork ribs and, in honor, of my smuggling forebears' insistance on not paying import duties among other taxes, rum drinks.

Happy 4th of July to me!

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Jul 2009, 05:22
Hope you had a great holiday Brick.

Well done to the Lions...:ok: A tough game and they certainly dominated the 'Boks. Not our best lineup but still world class rugby and a determined win by the visitors.

birrddog
5th Jul 2009, 05:42
SRT, the Lions played well, not just this last game but the entire test.

The Boks however, played progressively worse.

I'd rather our side loose knowing they played well rather than the scrap I observed the past two weeks. (I'd rather they win hands down, of course)

How does a side like the Boks loose so many balls in a loose ruck, own line outs, scrums and penalties?

Shocking.

That aside, I need to seek forgiveness tonight.

Wife insisted we go to friends; I insisted on briging steak along for myself.

Had to become a temporary GASSER in order to cook my steak.

Is there a way to seek redemption for this act?

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Jul 2009, 06:44
Agreed. Lions were more consistent. 'Boks started OK and just wound down as they went along. Too much dicking around by the halfwit coach.

You may redeem yourself by building a fire on the ground outside using ironwood. Nick the metal grid from the oven and balance it on four bricks over the coals once they're glowing nicely. Scrape a few coals to one side for the potjie. Squat around the braai with a beer in one hand and discuss rugby. Steak, chops and boerewors are the only things allowed on the braai unless you can find a snoek somewhere. Chicken curry in the potjie.

OFBSLF
6th Jul 2009, 15:25

Riiiiiiiiggggghhht.....
Actually, many of our microbrews are outstanding. It's the mass-market brews like Budweiser that are crap.

John Eacott
11th Jul 2009, 22:29
Without mentioning the Test Match, VB have started a new ad campaign :cool:

OqojGEehfLU&feature=related

Plus a sneak photo of BEagle's offerings ;)

http://www.australianbeers.com/beers/vb/frozenvb.jpg

L J R
12th Jul 2009, 00:12
I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned the Ashes...!

...please note that they did not use Gas to make them!

John Eacott
12th Jul 2009, 01:31
...please note that they did not use Gas to make them!

Maybe an early 19th Century gas BBQ :E

What Ashes? Oh, these ashes? (http://www.rupertswood.com/5560850/rupertswood-mansion-cricket-the-ashes.htm) :p

BEagle
16th Jul 2009, 20:55
Picked up some more beer from Mr Majestic today - pleased to find that the VB is still 4.8% ABV!!

Grabbed a case of Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier whilst I was there - should go well with the next Boche-nosh barbi'! 5.0% ABV and it comes in 500 ml bottles rather than 375 ml stubbies....:ok:

Just need some summer weather now. Forecast is a bit of a joke for this weekend; hope the Tin Triangle makes it to Fairford OK!

Howabout
19th Jul 2009, 07:38
Jeez BEagle, are you into self-abuse by still drinking that p155? As we get older our faculties decay: being incontinent and drinking VB probably seems normal; but they go hand in hand.

Arced up the beloved last night in anticipation of the rugby. Gorgeous non-GAS lamb, from a butcher who knows how to prepare a joint - honey and rosemary; special clients only. And we bloody well lost. Cricket is a disaster as well. However, credit where it's due, and as much as it pains me, well done the POMS.

Maybe we can pinch the British Open. And there's another dilemma - as much as I want to see Goggin do well, I want to see the old man take it out.

One thing the POMS do well is the British Open. It leaves all the other tournaments for dead.

BEagle
19th Jul 2009, 12:26
Personally, my opinion of golf is right up there with Mark Twain and Jeremy Clarkson......

A way of ruining a good walk. Whilst wearing trousers made from old office carpets and/or American suitcase material. "Whack...f**k", then endless boring comments about a tight eleventh at...:zzz:

Lamb sounded good! But rosemary without garlic? Dear me, no. Sounds a bit...gas?

Yes, after following advice from a certain aged Hunter QFI, I have to admit to a liking for VB. Not quite the same as the Franziskaner Hefeweissbier I quaffed last night with a Boche-nosh barbi', of course - but absolutely fine with bits of various barbi'd beast on other occasions!

bast0n
19th Jul 2009, 15:05
BEagle

Golf - how right you are. The following may amuse you...............:ok:

There are some things that are so uncool they become, in a strange way, cool, but golfing is not one of them. Golf is so irretrievably uncool that it comes with its own anti-fashion, including sun visors, horrendous shoes, and shirts with insurance company logos on them. For men, a devotion to golf often indicates a wholesale embrace of middle age, the putting aside of childish things like not being fat or caring about what sort of jumpers you put on. For women, a sudden devotion to golf is often a sign that you have, for reasons best known to yourself, married someone much older than you. Having established that golf is transcendentally uncool, we must concede that it is popular nevertheless. For non-golfers the point of the game has always been a bit of a mystery. It doesn't, on the face of it, look like much fun. It is not, as any non player who has visited a golf course will testify, generally played by the sort of people one wants to hang out with. And yet still people succumb to it. We may conclude from this that golf is in some way addictive. The evidence is certainly there: a staggering proportion of the game's celebrity adherents have been sequestered for addiction treatment in the past. It's astonishingly popular among party-animal rockers who, through no fault of their own, have accidentally lived past 30. Add to this the fact that it’s on a par with darts in terms of physical exertion, and you have a perfect sport for a whole generation of people who forgot to die in a hotel room in the 1980s, and are consequently at a loose end. It would be a harmless way of keeping them out of the way if only it weren’t such an inefficient use of space. If we could only get them interested in deck quoits, then we could house the lot of them in a space the size of a tennis court.:)

kluge
19th Jul 2009, 15:43
Isn’t golf the thinking nGUs sport ? :hmm:
I use the word “thinking” lightly in this context.

They wear a glove, thus scraping only one knuckle at a time.:rolleyes:

BEagle
13th Aug 2009, 14:58
Could it be that the 3rd day of the English 3 day summer might finally have arrived?

Just in case, I've been checking over the faithful blackfellow. Alarmed to discover that signs of age are there now - the odd crack is beginning to appear in the kettle and the front leg retainer is getting rather wobbly....

Perhaps Aradlite might effect a cure? Otherwise it might mean that this summer could be its last and a new one will be ordered for next year. But without any gas faggotry, of course!

But still, there'll be some 'flu-free pork cremated tonight - washed down with some VB, of course!

Oh, better think of an aviation link before AIDU or one of his attempted nom-de-PPRuNes crawls out of the woodwork.....

Just watched a C-17 flying a high speed arrival. Hardly elegant, but looked rather like fun...:ok:

Dan Winterland
13th Aug 2009, 15:03
Just got back from the pub where the landlord sells VB on tap. He gave me a VB by mistake instead of the ordered Budvar. Jesus - how do you Aussies drink that p!ss?

GPMG
13th Aug 2009, 17:37
Beagle, try some JB Weld instead of Araldite, it works a treat. Or just pop it down to the local engineer shop, they may weld up the problems for a slab of beer.

Although you may want to get the new version with the ash collector and variable flame thingy.

sooty655
13th Aug 2009, 19:05
Beagle, if you want it welded, just bring it along on your next visit to the delights of XM655 at Wellesbourne.

Sooty

BEagle
13th Aug 2009, 19:59
That's most kind of you, sooty655, if I can dismantle it sufficiently to fit in the boot of my teutonic tourer, I may well take you up on your kind offer!

Have you now managed to convince RR that 655's engines are all fine?

Not sure whether I'll be able to make it for Members' Day as work might have to take priority....:hmm:

kluge
14th Aug 2009, 01:14
Just typical, nGUs trying to fix it with glue when the correct tool is a gas-axe :E

Definition of gas-axe :rolleyes:: An oxyacetylene cutting torch. So called because it runs on gas, and is useful for chopping things off quickly (albeit none too neatly).

Howabout
14th Aug 2009, 08:44
Dan Winterland, a potentially perspicacious observation, except for one thing. Any discerning Aussie doesn't 'drink that p!ss.'

Vomit Beer (VB) is the total pits and as an Australian I totally disown it.

The biggest worry is that POMS, who have much finer stuff, actually drink this sh!t. I think you have a growing mental health problem over there if people think that this stuff is drinkable.

Anyway, we are looking forward to waxing your asses at The Oval. Also, we are coming out of winter shortly and you'll be plunging back into the cold and 1600 darkness - good luck.

Relevance - the Weber has frozen through winter, although used a couple of times before the Rugby, and said 'I'm ready to go; your faithful, non-GAS server is primed to cater for another cricket season.' What a faithful warrior (now 23 yrs old) - no GAS-induced, prissy, limp-wristed, 'let's watch the ballet' response.

kluge, in comparison, is probably grilling macro-biotic fish on his abomination, with steamed vegetables, before going off to a meeting of the local theatre society; where they do kissy-kissy and dress-up.

As regards the POMMY selectors, who must be all GAS users, are you guys really thinking of recruiting Mark Ramprakash??

Read his letter to his mum at:

Remember me as a proud Ramprakash | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25925631-12270,00.html)

BEagle
14th Aug 2009, 13:11
kluge, no gasaxe needed - just a couple of spots with a MiG (or is it a TiG?) electric chap should do the biz.

Ideally I'd have it bead blasted, the rust removed and new metal welded in, then rubbed down, primed, etched and oven enamelled.

But that's going a bit too far, even for me. Just need something to firm up the wobbly bits.

By the way, walkabout, a couple of stubbies of VB were just the job last night! Fine English ale is for quaffing slowly in quiet pubs - whereas Vicky B* sits nicely on the lips at a barbi'!

*Those who watch 'Fifth Gear' will understand.....:E

Howabout
16th Aug 2009, 04:03
It's Howabout BEagle, not walkabout - you'll give me a complex. Personally, I think you should go the whole hog. I am thinking of similar treatment for my old red darling, currently sitting out in the rain as she has for many winters. But, no complaints, and she'll continue to chug on.

Currently reading Vulcan 607, lent to me by my son. I wouldn't have bought it - I probably would have thought 'yeah another Andy McNab-like thriller.' But this one is seriously good stuff. It's nice to see the NAVs and AEOs getting the credit they deserve. Fascinating stuff - the POMMY ingenuity is something else.

I bet none of these guys were (or are) GASSERS! - too much guts, initiative and class. And they'd puke if you offered them a VB.

On the other hand, I can well imagine the entire English cricket team, with the possible exception of Freddy (and that Swann bloke, who seems to have a good attitude), being captives of Satan's bottom. What a dull bunch - definitely GASSERS.

Yes, I appreciate that you only fail in one area - the P155 you drink and not the fuel you use.

L J R
16th Aug 2009, 05:26
For those who think the British Summer and its three days of sunshine available for the BBQ (whilst thinking about being a Pilot - for PPRuNe justification reasons), whilst enjoying the VB (and despite the protestations from some 'experts') - I wish to add that the temp here in Nevada has remained above 100 Degrees since June!! - BBQ weather!!! - Fantastic...!

Howabout
16th Aug 2009, 05:46
Well LJR, that makes eminent sense. Sand, rocks, cactus, desolation, VB and GAS all go together.

London Eye
16th Aug 2009, 11:22
It is almost warm enough for a barbecue today but I am too busy doing my patriotic duty. I happened upon the Beach Volleyball on Sky Sports :\ and it is sponsored by the Royal Air Force. A man has got to do.........:ok:

kluge
17th Aug 2009, 02:21
BEagle – regarding your spots,I think you’re getting it all confused with arc welding. There, there.

Both MIG and TIG use argon for shielding. And last I checked argon was a gas – indeed it is called a noble gas. :)

But the point that you are missing, by applying a gas axe to your blackfellows wobbly bits, is that you would be doing humanity a favour in their removal.

At that age its far too old to consider firming anything up and even Viagra wouldn't help its cause. Do the decent thing old chap and don't let it suffer any further.

As for its owner........:hmm:

Now Howabout – I applaud your efforts to emerge out of your primordial ooze in your attempts to read. Well done indeed that chap. :D Vulcan 607 is wonderful reading. It even has pictures I recall. But it’s all rather advanced stuff. “Fun with Dick and Jane” or “Janet and John go off to play” might be more appropriate for you at this stage? Just remember it’s easier to turn the pages if you take your gloves off first.

aviation link: TIG is used in aircraft construction.

BEagle
17th Aug 2009, 05:05
My error - I didn't study manual labour at school, so welding is something of a mystery to me.

Just a few spot welds should sort out the old blackfellow's dicky leg and fill in the crack in the bottom....:ooh:....of the kettle, though!

Howabout
17th Aug 2009, 07:21
Ah, kluge old chap. Wonderful to see you back. For a while, I was worried that you might have choked on something like macro-biotic lentils, or been arrested in Honkers dressed (entirely innocently, of course) as an ingenue after a meeting of the local theatre society. I am greatly relieved that neither is the case.

As for reading; yes I do it from time to time. But I tend to read those ones with hard-covers. They do exist you know; but I suspect that literature is probably a foreign concept for the GAS fraternity.

Notwithstanding, 607 is a very good read. I'm actually amazed that someone who probably counts the likes of Clive Cussler in their pantheon of the world's greatest authors to GAS by actually had the wherewithal to read a decent book.

Anyway, good to see you back old fellow. Just stop reading the likes of Cussler, that Seth African git Wilbur-what's-his-name, and the plethora of other rubbish that seems to appeal to those of the short attention span.

You are not beyond redemption.

kluge
17th Aug 2009, 08:33
Clearly you studied double entendre and innuendo. But not such manly topics as chemistry or metalwork it seems. :hmm:

If by his semantics a man be judged then your second sentence is definitely cause for concern. :suspect: Home economics and jelly making more your thing? :eek:

Howabout g’day g’day indeed. Thank you for your kind sentiments, I’m sure. Been "earning a crust" you know - manual labour 'n' all that. :ok:

Having read some of Cussler’s earlier stuff in my yoof I see nothing wrong with the dwelling in which the hero abides.

Notwithstanding Vulcan 607 I would have thought this more up your street - Australian Romance Readers Convention - ARRC09 (http://www.australianromancereaders.com.au/)

Actually I’m an Economist reader with the occasional Spectator, Wired, Nat Geo and of course good old Aeroplane Mntly thrown in for balance. Unfortunately these publications don’t come as hard backs, so not having an opposable thumb may make them difficult for you to hold. Nat Geo does have lots of pictures though. ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Aug 2009, 16:29
Oi! That Wilbur Something-or-other is no Saffer. Hails from Zambia or thereabouts.

One has been doing one's bit to save Africa. Had goat on the menu the last two or three weeks. Have to admit that roast goat is a dashed fine chunk of nyama.

Remember, the damned things are a scourge and contribute significantly to desertification. Save Africa - Eat a goat...

Gainesy
17th Aug 2009, 16:56
Save Literature, Burn a Cussler.

BEagle
17th Aug 2009, 19:05
I rate Wilbur Smith very highly - although that ancient Egyptian stuff in one of his more recent novels was heavy going....:bored:

Wouldn't wipe my backside on The Economist though - but I'll go along with Aeroplane Monthly and Nat Geo!

Vulcan 607 wasn't bad - if a bit simplistic for aficionados. But it told the tale very well to the unwashed genpub - and gas users with the retention span of a goldfish with Alzheimer's....:suspect:

kluge
18th Aug 2009, 04:20
I suppose we have to be grateful that nGUs have an interest in the written word, even if used for a – ahem – slightly different purpose than intended.

Yes yes paper can be used for more than lighting BBQs.

An alternative to biomass briquettes then.;)

Howabout
18th Aug 2009, 08:10
Well BEagle, that kinda explains it. Drinking VB and reading Wilbur-what's his-name probably go hand-in-hand. He's in the same class as Cussler, and I'm very much with Gainesy on this one; so I'd add Wilbur to the list. You and kluge should form a Cussler/what's his-name book club.

Long ago, I had the misfortune to read a Cussler 'novel' - circa 1980 - it arrived from the book club my wife belonged to. You know the deal - 'we're sending you the selection of the month.'

It was a hideous text called 'Vixen 03.' To this day, I refuse to read anything by this bloke (or what's-his-name, for that matter - I ran out of patience after that blockbuster "When the Antelope ****s" was released). In fact, for nearly 30 years now, if I happen to be browsing and find a that book is endorsed by Cussler, or what's -his-name, I won't buy it on principle.

It certainly doesn't surprise me that kluge is an ardent admirer of this dross. However, it's a start kluge, and I do admire the fact that you are trying to read something other than comics. At least you've made the effort to start somewhere; albeit at the LCD level; but I do have hopes for you.

kluge
18th Aug 2009, 11:32
....ok go then - just for a laugh - you know you want to.

submit your reading list please (and do include something aviation related other than Vulcan 607) :zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

An nGU reading list - there's an oxymoron.

Just be careful of accepting any higher order magazines from BEagle. :eek:

kluge
18th Aug 2009, 15:46
Cogniscent of both thread drift and threats of advertising from the stasi, I did come across this : National Barbecue News, with barbecue, barbeque, bbq, bar-b-que, recipes, news, and products and more. (http://www.barbecuenews.com/) (It is in topic so I ask please for leniancy from the powers that be) :)

Although the recipe of the month - "Pabst beer bread on the side" sounds like something the neighbour's cat regurgitates.

Probably the best thing for the beer in question though.

Aviation link: Von Ohain, Hans Joachim Pabst (1911-1998) -
German physicist who designed the first operational jet engine (http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/J/jet_engine.html). He was not, however, the first to invent the jet engine.

birrddog
18th Aug 2009, 20:28
http://files.me.com/birrddog/xxtbqz

Tasted even better after SA beat the Kiwis and Wallabies.

Tenuous aviation link, planes often fly by at low level in line with those trees, as previously mentioned.

Howabout
19th Aug 2009, 07:50
kluge, to list the hard-cover books I read, aviation or otherwise, would just be precocious on my part. And that I ain't. However, I am reasonably confident that my library, on all manner of subjects, is a little superior to your comic and paper-back collection.

I can, though, offer something that may be of some use to you.

When my eldest was 9, or thereabouts, he was still suffering from the depredations of the Aus schooling system and took a little while to spool up with his reading.

Fortunately, we had the opportunity to live in SEA (free from a politically correct society) and he found a complete set of Biggles - which I still have in one of the book cases.

His reading improved remarkably over a very short period, so that he leap-frogged Cussler and Wilbur totally.

This could be a possible solution to your problems. In the spirit of lending a helping hand to the less fortunate, and encouraging a much valued aquaintance in the aviation fraternity, I'd be most happy to set up some sort of arrangement whereby I could send you the Biggles books.

They're also soft-cover, by the way, so you won't feel intimidated.

To add relevance, I'm just up to the penultimate refuel southbound with the K2s. BEagle, no doubt, will pooh-pooh my lack of intrinsic knowledge, quote:

Vulcan 607 wasn't bad - if a bit simplistic for aficionados.

But, on the other hand, he drinks a P155 called VB, so maybe his gyro's have toppled.

Howabout
21st Aug 2009, 06:06
Birrddog, that looks like a nice piece of kit. But I am confused with respect to the fuel. Is that GAS and volcanic rock, or is it the 'pure' fuel? Right-lower looks like GAS controls. The other worrying aspect is that the beer is Corona 'light.' This concerns me. If it's GAS and light beer, then I have to wonder whether you and kluge are a double act.

BEagle
21st Aug 2009, 09:01
Howabout, you may be reassured to learn that birrddog's device runs on the only true fuel. It is a Weber 'Performer' - but it looks as though it's the version which has a gas ignition system....

I agree about that suspicious looking bottle... But is it beer? Or has the bottle been, errm, used for an alternative purpose? Could anyone taste the difference...:uhoh:

Incidentally, amongst my hard-backed aviation books is the first edition 'Fate is the Hunter' I was fortunate enough to come across last year.

Nice cold VB last night with a couple of jumbo snags in a sub roll. 'Jumbo' as in 'large', not made from elephants........I think / hope..:\

Back to gas - do we consider that it is ever acceptable in polite society? Not as the main fuel, quite clearly. But as a built-in ignition method? Or is a gas lighter ( I confess to owning one) the only acceptable use for bottled fart fuel if used in conjunction with normal kindling materials?

Of course, Howabout, I accept that you probably have access to the local tribal elders who can teach you how to make fire without ever needing a match, let alone a gas lighter - but here at the head of the Commonwealth, getting modern health and safety matches to spark up one's true fuel blackfellow can be an utter pain!

birrddog
21st Aug 2009, 15:53
I agree about that suspicious looking bottle... But is it beer? Or has the bottle been, errm, used for an alternative purpose? Could anyone taste the difference...:uhoh:

...snip...

Nice cold VB last night with a couple of jumbo snags in a sub roll.
Isn't that a bit like the pot calling the kettle black?

Rest assured, that Weber was burning true hardwood charcoal.

It has a gas ignition system, which means I don't need to pour petroleum gloup or lighter fluid into my coals affecting the flavor, or use a chimney with newspaper getting newspaper (st)ink into my coals.

Roadster280
21st Aug 2009, 16:14
BEagle:

Howabout, you may be reassured to learn that birrddog's device runs on the only true fuel. It is a Weber 'Performer' - but it looks as though it's the version which has a gas ignition system....

IIRC, there have been two versions of the Performer, both essentially 22.5 standard kettles, and again, both with a propane charcoal ignition system. The earlier one used a larger refillable cylinder, the more recent uses disposable camping canisters.

Definitely +1 for the Performer for me, (as per page 1 of this thread!).

-1 for Corona light though.

On another note, anyone tried one of these?:

Smokenator 1000 (http://www.smokenator.com/)

It's Friday, and Miss Weber will be pleasing me tonight.

Howabout
22nd Aug 2009, 06:34
Outstanding Birrddog, I have no argument with the method of ignition, only the method by which the food is cooked.

Now, get rid of that light stuff!

As for you Beagle; yep I can do that fire thing without matches, but it's a dead-set pain and, if there's damp around, how d'you like red meat?

I also doubt your civilised sensibilities could have handled one of the elders grabbing a 3ft-something-long frill-necked lizard by the tail, whirling it into the ground and throwing it on the coals; previously ignited by the 'no-matches' method. Tasty though, if you can ignore the ash.

I'd give the left one for a hard-back copy of FITH.

Finally, and despite your disdain from an 'aficionado's' perspective, 607 was good. My only complaint is that I'd like to have known where a brave bunch of aviators ended up in later years. I thought that the epilogue might have done that. Where's Tuxford and his crew? I'd really have liked to know what became of the likes of Ernie Wallace, Mick Beer and the Vulcan guys - particularly the back-seaters.

Cornerstone958
23rd Aug 2009, 17:15
As you will no doubt be aware we that is the Pomms have just won the Ashes in 4 days!!
I also note that the Kiwi's beat you at Rugby as well!!
Back to the Thread Celebration in order Webber loaded with CHARCOAL Bears and Wine chilling Sun's still out glad I don't have to go to work in the morning.:D:D:D:D
CS

BEagle
23rd Aug 2009, 18:02
You're grilling bear?

Respect - that's truly hard core barbecueing!

Perhaps the Oz-mates will now ban the gassers' pyjama game and start an Ashes recovery plan?

Howabout
24th Aug 2009, 04:20
CS958,

I humbly eat crow, feathers an' all. Congratulations to your boys on a magnificent win. I must admit, as much as it pains me, that Strauss did a first rate job as captain, led from the front and kept his cool. Broad, too, showed incredible maturity in this game. If he kicks on from here, I think you've got a very good all-rounder in the making.

No excuses, either, with the pitch - it was ordinary, but both sides had to bat on it. My one bitch is with our selectors, who should have played Hauritz. It may not have made a difference, but the pitch was a turner and we went in without a balanced attack. Does anybody have a good recipe for 'barbecued selector?' I think Ian Chappell's out buying the charcoal as I write.

As for the Rugby - gut-wrenching stuff. So near, yet so far..again. Now 4th in test cricket and 3rd in Tri-nations. How low can you go? Maybe we can do something in the synchronised swimming championships to revive national morale.

Oh well, at least we only cry in our beer for a day or so and then get over it.

I agree BEagle - time to ban the pyjama game and prepare a recovery plan. As alluded to above, the first initiative under said plan is to barbecue the selectors, who are clearly a bunch of tossing GASSERS.

kluge
24th Aug 2009, 04:45
BREAKING NEWS:

Security and trade in the Far East is under intense scrutiny since the recently announced reductions in the fleet of Kluge. It is now confirmed that the flagship liveaboard has indeed been purchased by Japanese interests. Rumours of Japan rebuilding its offensive blue water fleet capability have not been confirmed but are suspected. :suspect: As a regional counter balance it is rumoured that the primary pleasure vessel “43 foot blue water cruising sloop” is under consideration from Singaporean interests. Markets have reacted negatively to the news with values of Carlsberg, San Miguel and various Caribbean rum producers plummeting in overnight trade. Global demand for ginger beer is also expected to soften.:eek:

Flag officers of the yacht racing fraternity have yet to emerge from their respective club bars as they debate the serious implications to regional stability and beverage sales. :hmm: Sources close report the mood to be grave but may brighten during the next round of talks.

Anticipation mounts regarding the last BBQ'd meals to be served on the flagship.

Temporarily putting aside differences in fuel sources :mad:, suggestions leading to the last 'end of an era' BBQ meals on board the flagship are invited from the auspicious contributors of this thread

Pictures of the suggested meals with the accompanying tipple may be posted.

The previous evening saw aged Canadian rib eye grilled medium rare au jus with garlic sautéed ‘shrooms, baby asparagus and fresh English mustard. Wine served was a Pio Cesare Barolo. Much pleasure was had :)

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Aug 2009, 06:14
One has been handed the secret of brined pork chops. A real braai will be set up this weekend in a fire pit or an old oil drum and the results will be sampled.

Great win re the Ashes and a not so convincing win for NZ but the results still reflect eight points in the series. Can't wait to download the ARC commentary. Next game will be with live ARC commentary on the net and a pint in one's claw at the brewery.

Howabout
24th Aug 2009, 06:45
Fcuk me kluge. I thought you were crazy, then re-read. Damn!

Temporarily putting aside differences in fuel sources http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif, suggestions leading to the last 'end of an era' BBQ meals on board the flagship are invited from the auspicious contributors of this thread

I honestly don't know whether I can make it. But, she who must be obeyed has just finished work. Tidy (but modest) little extra money. Always loved Honkers, and she deserves a break. This could be a crazy, bugger it, expedition.

I can't quite understand how you might lose the boat - unless it's live-aboard and renting. Regardless, take care.

I'm just about to suggest that we get "really selfish," hop on CX and leave the progeny behind.

I'll see how that works out. Haven't had a holiday in....forget.

kluge
24th Aug 2009, 08:45
er.. steady on old chap. Just looking for BBQ recipes to celebrate the final days on the liveaboard prior to a stint on terra firma.

Sold the boat(s) as part of a cunning long term plan that has a Memsahib approved aviation element to it.

Notwithstanding, if you are ever in HK it would be my pleasure to host you for dinner at one of "my clubs". :) But certainly NOT if you intend to act on your stated expedition goals :eek:

Of course with you being a nGU and the resulting need for me to remain annonymous, my dinner attendance would be via telephone proxy and your meal served by catapult.:ouch:

Looking forward to recipes - "BBQ'd PPRuNes" perhaps. :ok:

Howabout
24th Aug 2009, 09:26
It was a stir kluge!

birrddog
24th Sep 2009, 20:42
When in doubt.... improvise..

http://thereifixedit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/evabbq.jpg

jindabyne
24th Sep 2009, 20:48
Looks DREADFUL!!

BEagle
24th Sep 2009, 20:58
Excellent!

With the the passing of the UK 3-day summer and the recent coming of the autumnal equinox, my faithful blackfellow was today given a pre-hibernation clean up and consigned to the back of the garage....:(

Hopefully the wobbly leg mount will survive the coming months; if not he will have to be put down and another One-Touch will be on its way next year.

Still, there are a few stubbies of VB and lots of Franziskaner in the fridge to keep me happy until barbi' time is here again.

gearontheglide
24th Sep 2009, 21:13
BEags, BEags, why do you consign the old fellow to the garage for the winter?

A bit of cold and damp (much like the summer) should never put off the true fuel devotees. One is already planning for inter 6 Nation Snags and the like, not to mention the old Yuletide fowl.

And a winters coals can also be used to warm through various warming draughts once flesh is suitably grilled and consumed.

Webbering is for life not just a 3 day summer :ok:

jindabyne
24th Sep 2009, 21:14
BAegs

Surely NOT! There are still a few weeks left for normal burning - but far more for night-turning! And, as you must surely acknowledge, better by GAS in the nocturnal timeframe!

Vangelis!!!

muttywhitedog
24th Sep 2009, 21:31
here we go, just as this thread had disappeared over the hill....:ugh:

jindabyne
25th Sep 2009, 09:36
Bit of fun Mutty - but the MA connection's now running a bit thin - perhaps better suited to JB Roj? IMVHO, that is ---

BEagle
25th Sep 2009, 10:50
Jet Blast Nein Danke!

The noble cause of the barbi' is deeply enshrined in military aviation as is the ingenuity of military personnel in firelighting and beast cooking.

Call it practical survival training discussion.

taxydual
12th Jan 2010, 20:42
A harbinger of Spring and Summer on Jet Blast

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/401536-good-marinades-bbq.html

Sorry, MOD's. Couldn't resist.

kluge
13th Jan 2010, 01:03
A venturesome trip to the yacht club for snags, chops and San Migs then :E

METAR VHHH 130100Z 06007KT 030V090 6000 NSC 11/00 Q1028 NOSIG

'marinades' - special tools for BBQing at sea? :suspect:
With happy ending 'rubs' for the charcoal users no doubt? :ooh:

Dan Winterland
13th Jan 2010, 02:40
A bloody big driftwood campfire on a beach to stay warm more like! I've been thinking about sailing - but it's still too cold!

It will soon be warm enough for the inaugural meeting of the PPRuNe South China Sea beach bbq club. I suggest a lunch on a beach on a deserted island (Sunshine Island?) and a small race afterwards. We can try out the merits of the various cooking methods (i.e. driftwood/Weber Smokey Joe/Cobb etc) and the best beverage to accompany.

Where are you moored Kluge?

kluge
13th Jan 2010, 03:25
Yes a tad chilly but nice to see clear skies for once.

Vessel is moored in the place with the Scottish name.

Chau Kung To is apparently a good place to see something called Bogadek's legless lizard. I surmise that they probably don't run very fast therefore might be good BBQ nosh. At the very least it sounds like we could be in good company.

If racing against your slick multi hull you might need to give me a handicap. A day should do it if we go upwind.

Unless I use the Avon RIB :E

Dan Winterland
13th Jan 2010, 03:45
I'm west of you at DB. I also have a small yacht which is a bit more useful for carry lunch supplies. And I also have the use of a powerboat if there's no wind.

kluge
13th Jan 2010, 03:49
Ah the Truman Show !

Charlie Luncher
14th Jan 2010, 02:59
My colonial Fire breather as been consigned to the dump after 6 yrs the bloody thing tried to torch me after a bit of pork fat ignited leaking pipe. Old wobbly leg was straight on the job although my nuts did not require the extra warmth.
Beags I believe sir you have gone all Nu Labour PC and soft if you are packing up for the winter. A bit of a chill wind and you retreat, it has been a bit chilly here too, down to 25c the other day:(.
Charlie sends

BEagle
14th Jan 2010, 04:40
...a bit of pork fat ignited leaking pipe...

A leaking pipe? Presumably that means you were using the fuel of Satan's bottom? Well, we did try to warn you that gas-faggotry is to be avoided!

Yes, the blackfellow is indeed hibernating at the back of the garage keeping the grass mower company until this damn snow goes and the evenings get lighter again. It must be so hard for your chaps in the colonies with overnight temperatures of 38 deg C........

Dan Winterland
14th Jan 2010, 05:59
You can roast in the black orb. Nice winter leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary - great for people coming round for dinner wondering why the bbq is smoking away in the garden when it's snowing!

Use the charcoal rack thingys to hold the coal at the sides, put the roast in a tin tray wrapped lightly in tinfoil, put it on the coal platform on a brick and cook until you are too hungry to wait any longer.

Alternatively, buy a Cobb and use it in oven mode. The fat dripping off the lamb collects in the lower ring where you have put potatoes. So you get very nice lamb and the best roast pots you have ever tasted.

(Can't believe I'm posting recipies on PPRuNe!)

Gainesy
14th Jan 2010, 09:39
people coming round for dinner wondering why the bbq is smoking away in the garden when it's snowing!

Then doing the fastest U-turn in your drive that you've ever seen...:)

BEagle
17th Feb 2010, 21:01
A whole hour of winter sun today, so time to replenish the beer stock courtesy of Mr Majestic...

A case of Paulaner Hefe-Weißbier which is 5.5% ABV and comes in handy 500ml bottles, plus a case of VB....but, horror of horrors, even here in the UK imported VB is now rather a weak 4.6% ABV....:eek:

Another few weeks and I'll be checking the faithful old blackfellow to see how he's survived the winter and whether his wobbly front leg has got any worse.

Military aviation link - nice to see a Harrier flying about this afternoon. First RAF fast jet I've seen this year.....:hmm:

MrBernoulli
18th Feb 2010, 13:06
BEagle,

I was in DFW just last Friday and was barbecuing Texas steaks with 'D'rectly E', by his pool, in the evening, with the bleedin' snow falling! Barely-ferkin'-believable, but true! It snowed for 24 hours but we were not to be out-done ...... later on the electricity went out for 18 and a half hours in his neighbourhood. Shee-ite Mr Sherrif!

PS: I have to admit that his barbecue gizmo was of the "gas-faggotry"variety (bought in Doha?) that you don't like, I know, but the steak was pretty decent. :ok:

Jonny Suave Trousers
18th Feb 2010, 15:53
Here is a you tube video I made a few months back on how to do roast lamb on the Weber. Is the Weber the planets most significant innovation?

YouTube - roast lamb2 mpeg4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypW5KDsTNo)