PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful Weber!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

CoffmanStarter
14th Jul 2014, 16:33
SS ... How are you old chap ... clearly up to mischief as usual :ok:

Wander00
14th Jul 2014, 16:36
SS- how do you think I escape to UK for a couple of weeks at a time to glide, and go to airshows..................

smujsmith
14th Jul 2014, 19:20
Did a double sitting chicken yesterday. One wore Bud, the Other Stowford Press. Both done at the same time, we and our guests could detect no distinct flavours from either, except that the Stowford did appear to have more moist breast meat. I am now debating whether our lack of lumpwood, and use of the emergency briquettes could have masked any subtlety. Not a problem, we are already planning a repeat test, using proper charcoal, with the same guests. Three good tries so far, and every one a winner as they say, a great way to cook a treat. Thanks to all on this thread who introduced me to the delights.

Smudge:ok:

Akrotiri71
14th Jul 2014, 20:00
I agree, for quick grilling lumpwood can't be beaten. But for a long cook, I find briquettes are ideal, & easier to regulate the temperature.

Mrs Aks bought me one of these to replace the beer-can. The dome is filled with liquid of your choice, put the spikey thing on then put your chook over it. Next put the cap on. Very little steam comes out the top of the chook.

The cone holds the poultry upright, which allows the pan to catch all the juices that can be used for basting or making a delicious gravy.

http://imgbin.me/image/EVVMOQMW.jpg

smujsmith
14th Jul 2014, 20:09
Akrotiri 71,

I'm using these myself, stuff your beer of choice in the middle and off she goes. Not done a bad one yet, and, not bad for a tenner each. My SWMBO insists it's the best chicken she has ever sampled. Praise indeed.

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/outdoor-living/barbecues-outdoor-heating/barbecues-accessories-covers/cooking___cleaning_tools/Beer-Can-Chicken-Holder-12718601?skuId=13239307

Roadster280
14th Jul 2014, 20:46
Akrotiri 71,

Odd, I find briquettes to be hugely inferior to lumpwood. The briquettes are full of sawdust, coal, saltpeter etc, and generate a huge amount of ash. I remember the days of using the lever thing on the bottom of a Weber Kettle trying to get it all out. High quality lumpwood (I use Nature-glo or BGE brand) is much superior. Much reduced ash burden, far superior consistency of heat (as the lumps are MUCH bigger than briquettes) and much better recycling of unused fuel. If you jog the unused fuel about with an ash tool, the loose ash falls off to the bottom, and the unburned charcoal is ready to live another day. Briquettes are too small to do that with. Once it's alight, it's almost certainly going to burn through, or be so small as to make it not worthwhile re-using.

Here's a comparison of various charcoals and Kingsford briquettes.
(http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm)

Akrotiri71
14th Jul 2014, 21:27
Smudge. That looks a fine beer-up-the-chuff device! Good price to. Good job sir. :ok:

R280. Having never tried BGE charcoal/briquettes, I cannot comment. But I have always found Weber 240 minutes Long Lasting briquettes more than adequate for my needs for a long cook. I did a 5 hr smoked pork sheet-rib on a 1.5 chimney. (I am not adverse to buying a bag or two of BGE lump and trying it out. And I will. I'm always open for hint/tips etc). That link was superb, just my thing...:ok: (Anorak).

With regards to briquettes living for another day. Close off all vents as soon one is done cooking, and the remaining briquettes extinguish quickly, and can be used for the next grill. (Load them up in the bottom of a chimey, hey presto!).

I'm trying to coax SWMBO that a BGE is a must! But apparently she thinks that having a 57cm Pro/Smokey Joe/Smokey Mountain are sufficient. I have started to use utilise the Smokey Mountain to make my own Biltong. The first two attempts have been not bad at all.

Happy grilling. :ok:

CoffmanStarter
15th Jul 2014, 09:05
Akrotiri 71 ...

@ #1506

I reckon if you hooked that up to a waveguide it would work very satisfactorily on the S Band :}

Flying Lawyer
15th Jul 2014, 19:14
I agree with Akrotiri71.

Lumpwood for quick grilling and good quality briquettes for low'n'slow because it's easier to control the temperature. (Not the cheap supermarket briquettes which tend to burn too quickly.)

The porcelain coated (non stick) Weber poultry roaster costs more than a basic frame-holder but the benefits are worth the extra. It also works well for smoked chicken if you have a 22.5" grill.

For more flavour, season the chicken with a paste under the skin or a rub on the outside.

Roadster280
15th Jul 2014, 19:30
You guys must have different lumpwood from that which we get here in the US. I would use briquettes in the absence of proper charcoal, but only for "quick grilling". No way would I use them for a long smoke, especially in view of all the extra garbage in them. Perhaps the lumps are a different size or something.

Flying Lawyer
16th Jul 2014, 07:55
Roadster

Although not impossible, it's not easy to obtain good quality lumpwood charcoal here.
Most bags sold at supermarkets, DIY centres, petrol stations etc contain some larger size pieces but mostly small pieces which burn quite quickly - too quickly for low slow cooking and smoking.
Better quality charcoal, sometimes called 'Restaurant Grade', is available but from far fewer outlets.

Briquettes burn more evenly. They create more ash but I've never found that to be a problem. The built-in ash container of the Weber is more than adequate for a long burn.

Akrotiri71
19th Jul 2014, 17:35
Did a double sitting chicken yesterday. One wore Bud, the Other Stowford Press. Both done at the same time, we and our guests could detect no distinct flavours from either, except that the Stowford did appear to have more moist breast meat. I am now debating whether our lack of lumpwood, and use of the emergency briquettes could have masked any subtlety. Not a problem, we are already planning a repeat test, using proper charcoal, with the same guests. Three good tries so far, and every one a winner as they say, a great way to cook a treat. Thanks to all on this thread who introduced me to the delights.

This article might be of interest to you, with regards to the lack of detecting any distinct taste. :eek: Makes perfect sense.

Debunking Beer Can Chicken: A Waste Of Good Beer (http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html)

Looking at the chook holder you have, it looks to me that you could put a cut-down beer can in the bottom so the top of it is just below the stop ring. Slide the chook to the stop-ring at the bottom, thus exposing the beer can to your heat source, and hopefully it will boil the beer/wine etc., and infuse the chook. Just a thought.

Edit: I'm currently doing a beer-can chook, on an infuser. I put some hickory wood chips in boiling water for half hour. Then put the hot water into the infuser. Let's see what happens.

smujsmith
19th Jul 2014, 19:40
Akrotiri 71,

Thanks for that, and the link. How interesting, I'm now convinced that the holder is a good idea, the beer inside not so good. I do hate the thought of wasting good ale. Perhaps more contributors would read that article and comment. I'm actually considering at our next attempt a beer can in one, and nothing in the other, might be a more relevant comparison. One thing I do know is that I must get good quality lumpwood charcoal, the briquettes are the pits for me.

Akrotiri71
19th Jul 2014, 22:40
Smudge.

Did the beer-up-the-chuff-chook this evening. Filled up the dispenser in the bottom of the diffuser. After the chook was cooked there was a marginal reduction of fluid in the diffuser. No noticeable additional flavour. Which confirms that the fluid does not boil! Which debunks the whole beer-can chook flavouring myth in my opinion. Cased closed?

Roadster280
20th Jul 2014, 00:24
Very interesting. I have always enjoyed beer can chicken, but completely buy the debunking in the article. I will say that the Sittin' Chicken or Sittin' Turkey is mucho better than a can. The aperture is much bigger than a can, and much lower in the bird. But, it still can't get any hotter than the inside of the bird, and unless that's 212F or higher, it ain't gonna boil. Or can it? The thermal conductivity of water must be better than the organic mass of the bird, but again, I've never noticed much of a fluid loss in the can or Sittin Chicken. I do my birds at 375F, so maybe it does release a tiny bit of steam.

Perhaps the improvement over horizontal grilling is simply that the fat renders out into the drip tray under the bird. As it goes, I'll be doing one tomorrow, but using a beer can.

Having recently bought a gas chamber, perhaps I should get a rotisserie for it, and do one bird on the BGE and another on the rotisserie. That would be a fair comparison.

Watch this space in about a month...

teeteringhead
20th Jul 2014, 16:22
I do hate the thought of wasting good ale. ... maybe that's why Bud was suggested ......... ;)

hat....coat ...etc

Akrotiri71
20th Jul 2014, 17:06
The thermal conductivity of water must be better than the organic mass of the bird, but again, I've never noticed much of a fluid loss in the can or Sittin Chicken. I do my birds at 375F, so maybe it does release a tiny bit of steam.

Precisely. If the fluid in the can doesn't reach 212F it aint gonna boil. But it may release a tad of vapour. Which lends itself that the fluid in the can doesn't reach the required temp to boil & infuse the chook. Buggah!

GemDeveloper
20th Jul 2014, 17:24
I have experimented over a good few years with 'chicken on a beer tin', and, indeed on a frame like Akrotiri 71 illustrated... and also with duck on a beer tin (recommended in a long-previous post, as the fat gently drips away, leaving one with a beautifully moist bird with that hint of smoky flavour). I even save small ginger ale tins and half fill them with amber brew before inserting into the chook frame.

And... I have not confined my experiments to beer, having tried a modest volume of a suitably robust red...

I am going to say that I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference what one uses, and I have now reverted to, guess what, water, and keep the beer for moi... it seems to me that the flavour in one's meat comes from the rub and the braai fire... and the main function of the beer tin is to provide a reservoir of steam which keeps the meat beautifully moist from inside.

Anyone else tried just using water and keeping the beer for one's own insides rather than those of the steaming bird over the fire?

ROTORTREE
20th Jul 2014, 17:34
Gem
I agree whole heatedly
Cold beer in me.........hot water in the bird of choice:ooh:

BEagle
20th Jul 2014, 20:14
...a beautifully moist bird...

Hopefully, as with other things, nicely tanned on the outside, pink in the middle, but with no signs of blood?

(Steak, I mean.....:E)

sittingstress
21st Jul 2014, 00:31
BEagle,

With comments like that I am drawn to believe you might have resided on the Blackbird Leys Estate.

BEagle
21st Jul 2014, 07:13
Is there a good steak butcher there?

CoffmanStarter
21st Jul 2014, 16:17
Is there a good steak butcher there?

There is down here ... just for you BEagle ... Good quality unadulterated Sussex Rump Steak ... just starting it's journey to perfection :ok:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/SAM_2636_zps78b90a19.jpg

As I alluded to @ #1487 ... Industrial (Gas) BBQ'ing at the weekend here at Coffman Towers. To celebrate young Coff's 21st Birthday, his Graduation and landing his first career job, with some of his Uni mates and Familiy :)

Kicked off at 13:00A Saturday finishing "outside" at 01:00A Sunday (Standard Noise Abatement Procedures ... adjourning inside to the lounge until about 04:00A) ... 08:30A Sunday Bacon Sarnies ... 12:00A Sunday, Dad and Mum left to clear up :eek:

It was positively frightening the amount of meat cooked ... but it all went (as you surmised BomberH) ... so did the 72 Pints of Sussex Ale and a couple of cases of wine ... a good time appeared to be had by all :)

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/20140716_165525_zps0e663838.jpg

PS. The Rump Steak was a treat for young Coff to mark the end of a three year student diet ;)

PPS. The "Bespoke" Naga Chilli sausages weren't for the faint hearted (Roland P) :}

Courtney Mil
21st Jul 2014, 21:45
Nice to see a Workmate finally put to good use, Coff. Good man! :D

Roadster280
22nd Jul 2014, 11:55
Splendid, Coff!

To continue the chook debate - I did a spatchcock chicken on the green orb of loveliness last night, now it's finally quit raining. It was originally going to be a beer can job, but these hallowed pages saw to that. I have to say, it came out quite well. Every bit as juicy as a beer can job, and quite a bit quicker too. I'd smoked some ribs for 3 hrs prior to the bird, so they got some apple juicing in foil at the same time as the bird. Chicken and ribs for dinner. Most excellent.

Sittin Chicken & Sittin Turkey will be retired, methinks. Now I'm torn between the Weber vertical roaster and a rotisserie.

langleybaston
22nd Jul 2014, 13:17
Slightly off piste here, but I saw some very nice Webers in an Austrian hardware shop last week.

Are they REALLY that expensive now?

I used to own three:

Smoky Joe
Medium size black boy
Massive scarlet one

and, dollar equivalent/ sterling/ Deutschmarks did not total more than about £100.

And this was only 24 years ago.

I shall cosset the survivor [scarlet] even more carefully now!

[replaced hardwood handles last year, need new baskets now]

Roadster280
22nd Jul 2014, 16:03
Langley -

I rather think the cost of the Weber is entirely dependent on where you buy them.

Smokey Joe - $30 delivered

18" Kettle - $79 delivered

22.5" Kettle - $99 delivered

These are using Amazon Prime for the "free" delivery, for a total of $208 or thereabouts.

According to this site, GBP 100 in 1988 is now worth 234 (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html).

GBP 234 is more in pounds than the cost of the three new grills in dollars! Ergo, you either bought better models than the comparison above, didn't buy them in the PX/BX/USA proper, otherwise overpaid, or they've simply become cheaper in real terms.

Even if one bought the Platinum models of the three grills today, I doubt the total cost approaches the $400 or so that your 100 pounds in 1988 is worth today. Assuming of course you buy them from a US source.

langleybaston
22nd Jul 2014, 16:08
They were PX purchase in Germany of course.

Would be nice to be offered Webers at the US prices that you quote!

Rossian
22nd Jul 2014, 18:04
......it is common practice for companies from US who have UK branches, that the dollar price is automatically changed to a pound price with the same numbers.

I bought Veritas tools in Canada once and was so pleased when I found a UK supplier. I called them (yes, it was a long time ago) and was appalled to hear that $30 became £30 just like that. When challenged they said "mumble mumble transport costs mumble mumble". I was less than polite, and got a mate in Canada to buy them for me and mail them. Landsend clothes - same deal. The lady was embarrassed as she knew exactly what I was complaining about.
Barstewards, barstewards they're all out to get you!!

The Ancient Mariner

PS just for fun, Weber Smokey Joe today in UK £75.98. Compare your $30 and weep for us.

teeteringhead
22nd Jul 2014, 19:00
Smokey Joes easily found on t'internet reduced to £47.99

Not $30 but not 75 squid either!

Roland Pulfrew
22nd Jul 2014, 21:10
PPS. The "Bespoke" Naga Chilli sausages weren't for the faint hearted (Roland P)

Glad to hear it Coff. I'm going to have a chat with my local butcher this weekend to see if they might do the honours! If not, I feel a trip to Oxford coming on;)

Akrotiri71
22nd Jul 2014, 21:43
Two slabs of pork ribs done slo 'n' lo tonight. (3 hrs). The slabs were dry-rubbed, rolled and pinned with wooden skewers to save space on the grill. In this upright position they don't require turning on an indirect heat. Initially smoked with mesquite chips, & basted with homemade bbq sauce every 45 mins. Enjoy.

http://i60.tinypic.com/11cgpj9.jpg

smujsmith
22nd Jul 2014, 22:03
Akkers, if I may be so bold,

That looks lovely, succulent and I'm envious of your prowess. Back a second to the "sitting chicken", I'm planning to do one with Bud, and one with water as soon as I can, and will report back. I'm beginning to believe though that the posture, and a good rub might be the answer, in which case my little mountings might prove useful. There's plenty of summer left chaps, and then there's Christmas dinner to come :D

Akrotiri71
22nd Jul 2014, 22:11
If you have a good local butcher, he should comply with your request. I have a local butcher who will make sausages for me with any meat I select, and will incorporate any other ingrediants I bring along. (I have some wild-boar/garlic/thyme/sage snorkers waiting in the wings).

Akrotiri71
22nd Jul 2014, 22:25
Thanks for the compliment. :ok:
It just came to me to put the ribs verticle to save space. (We do chook upright, why not ribs?).
Using a rub inside & under the skin of a chook is definitely a winner!
I still haven't dismissed the beer-can-up-the-chuff-chook…..just yet. I have acquired a full ceramic sittin' chook roaster. It can only go an inch or two up the chook's chuff, still supporting the chook upright, but the base is fully exposed to the heat source. I'm excited! Mrs Akkers just rolls her eyes. She doesn't understand me. But she'll scoff the lot nonetheless. Will report back.

Edit: The ribs were gorgeous. A nice crispy 'bark', & succulent meat.

Roadster280
22nd Jul 2014, 23:40
I use one of these, if I'm doing more than two half racks:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/THEBTLS/DSC00403.jpg

I believe Weber do something similar in stainless. Great idea, smoking them vertically. I'm veering away from a 5hr cook to a 6hr cook on them, but it takes a bit of coordination with Mrs R.

Akrotiri71
23rd Jul 2014, 01:04
Fine looking ribs Sir! :ok:

That BGE looks a beauty! Long live the charcoal!

CoffmanStarter
23rd Jul 2014, 06:36
Akrotiri71, Roadster280 ...

This is what we like to see ... splendid ... and no "Green Stuff" in sight :D :ok:

GemDeveloper
28th Jul 2014, 07:22
smujsmith

Back a second to the "sitting chicken", I'm planning to do one with Bud, and one with water as soon as I can, and will report back. I'm beginning to believe though that the posture, and a good rub might be the answer, in which case my little mountings might prove useful.

Have you yet had a chance to convince yourself that Bud's thicker than water?

Akrotiri71
28th Jul 2014, 09:13
I still haven't dismissed the beer-can-up-the-chuff-chook…..just yet. I have acquired a full ceramic sittin' chook roaster. It can only go an inch or two up the chook's chuff, still supporting the chook upright, but the base is fully exposed to the heat source. I'm excited!

I'm convinced I have busted the b-c-u-t-c-c myth.

Experiment: Did the sittin' chook in the oven this time to ensure a constant temperature, 340F. Once the chook was cooked, 185F on meat thermometer. Within 10 seconds of removing the chook from the oven, I put a thermometer into the fluid, (beer), in the ceramic device. Temperature didn't rise above 180F. And there was no detectable reduction in fluid volume. The fluid does not/cannot boil. I'm therefore convinced that the chook acts as an insulator. However, both myself & guests agree that cooking the chook upright does make the chook more succulent. (Plus, I've bought these devices, & I'm bl**dy well gonna use 'em!). :ok:

teeteringhead
28th Jul 2014, 09:14
Have you yet had a chance to convince yourself that Bud's thicker than water? Cue the "like making love in a canoe" slogan. ;)

smujsmith
28th Jul 2014, 19:13
Gemdeveloper,

My next trial will be on 12 August, I will report back after it, but, until I try it, I'm convinced of nothing. But I've read enough now to wonder what the advantage of warming beer is, if the chicken is as good without it. I would rather drink the beer myself mate.

tdracer
31st Jul 2014, 15:30
I'm still not convinced the beer butt is busted.
SOP when using a smoker is to put a pan of liquid (water, beer, whatever) below the meat. I seldom run my smoker over 230 deg F and I've never observed the liquid boiling, but it keeps the humidity high so that the meat doesn't dry out during a multi-hour smoke. Water doesn't have to boil to humidify the air, and the sittin chicken base is ~4 times the area of a beer can so it'll be absorbing more heat. Then again, I'm looking at it from the point of view of a 4+ hour 230 F smoke rather than at hour at 350 F.

Next time I smoke a chicken, I'll do before and after measurements of the liquid in the sittin chicken (I do see value in starting out with hot water (or beer) instead of stuff out of the fridge).

BTW, first time I had a beer butt chicken, the lady (a relative) that prepared it was a cook at a nice restaurant so I figured she knew what she was doing (and it was fantastic). Then again, we were staying at a ski area at 10,000 ft. and she had it in the oven for several hours (no idea at what temp) - if the beer got to 180+F it was probably boiling ;)

GemDeveloper
31st Jul 2014, 20:54
I think that your assertion that the fluid in the can (wait one for further digression on what fluid), provides a nice humidifying atmosphere for the bird's chuff is precisely the mechanism... I am reminded that one is encouraged to put a large flat dish of water into the oven when baking bread to make the bread crust just that little bit special... the oven probably is at 200 degC or so, and yet there is not a lot of active boiling of the water... but some of the water does evaporate and that's what does the trick. :ok:

So... if one really is providing only a reservoir of something that keeps the bird moist inside (contain yourself, BEagle), and it doesn't really boil, it seems to me that beer is better used to moisten the inside of the OiC the evolution, and water is perfectly adequate for the bird. Of course, if one had a reasonable supply of cheap brandy or the like, and used that, then the evaporation just might be sufficient to flavour the meat.

Courtney Mil
31st Jul 2014, 21:02
Not much active boiling of water at 200C?

Anyway, it's not just the water that evaporates from the beer. It has other flavours to impart. If you're worried about the chef, buy 2 cans. Come on, the recession's over!

Akrotiri71
4th Aug 2014, 09:27
3mm hole - 4mm self-tappers. All three legs sorted. I can now roll the orb around the garden with abandon. :ok:

http://i61.tinypic.com/r7m1au.jpg

smujsmith
10th Aug 2014, 17:57
As promised, and despite some inclement weather, my Weber was put to good use today in, for us, a final experiment with beer butt chicken. We cooked two chickens, both in "sitting style", one with a half full can of Bud, the other with an empty can of Bud. Of the six people eating (a blind tasting, in that none knew which was the one with the beer inserted) none could discern a difference in taste. Both chickens were moist, and flavoursome. We had a long discussion and came to the conclusion that using beer was a waste of good lubricant, and that even the suggestion of replacing the beer with water was irrelevant, as both were equally flavoursome. So, I suspect that the improvement in the flavours and succulence of the chicken is entirely down to the position it is cooked in, and the natural release of juices from the cavity. I rather suspect our next move will be to try without the beer can in place as the trays we have will support the chicken without. I'm sure others may have tried this, but I recommend that the beer be retained for the "chefs" use.

Akrotiri71
13th Aug 2014, 16:17
I have done the chook in the sitting position, no can, and cannot taste any difference at all. Beer is for the chef. :ok:

smujsmith
13th Aug 2014, 20:03
Akrotiri 71,

Totally agreed BTW, if your Callsign indicates date in post, we may have crossed paths. "Keep beer for those who strive to cook, just barbecue pure "sitting" chook".

Best

Wander00
26th Aug 2014, 11:05
That beats the sh1t out of prices I just checked on A....n. Looks like a good deal. They offer a Weber 47cm Compact at that price

However, very satisfied with my Castorama/B&Q clone that cost me less than €60

son of brommers
29th Aug 2014, 11:19
As a relative (2 years) newcomer to Gas Flight, our recent week in sunnier climes cooking on good quality olive wood charcoal reinforced why, in the UK, Gas is the preferable fuel unless one is to spend more than desired on quality charcoal.

Happy for any charcoal drivers to advise of their preferred brand/source of quality product.

ex-fast-jets
29th Aug 2014, 19:35
I know that many of you have been waiting for this...........................

But I did my first "Beer up the Bum" Chicken last weekend!!

SWMBO declared it to be delicious and very moist!!

So................... Success!!

And 'twas very easy.

CoffmanStarter
29th Aug 2014, 19:48
I hope you used GAS Bomber :ok:

ex-fast-jets
29th Aug 2014, 19:53
Of course!!

Is there any other way....................................?????????????

CoffmanStarter
29th Aug 2014, 19:56
Good man :ok:

Roadster280
29th Aug 2014, 19:59
Happy for any charcoal drivers to advise of their preferred brand/source of quality product.

Big Green Egg brand lump charcoal. About $25 for a 20lb bag. From any BGE stockist. Next would be Natur-glo, $3-$5 less, but huge lumps. Burns hotter.

langleybaston
31st Oct 2014, 17:44
Both gas and charcoal are booked to be used on 6 Dec .......... pre-Christmas total 100% clan gathering, some 18 souls on board.

16" of pork loin to rotisserise on the gas, bratties, onions, and, separately, marinaded spare ribs [big red orb]. Will think of something else, no doubt.

If p*ssing down will trundle both BBQs into garage with door open. I expect all the blokes will stand around drinking my free drink and being blokey.

Oh! The joys of being a greatgrandad.

Eau de Boeing
24th Nov 2014, 09:07
At the risk of inciting some charcoal rage here, does anyone have a good recommendation for a small size gas barbeque (this is to supplement the Weber kettle) that can do indirect cooking fairly well?

Have been considering the Weber Q series but the small ones only have one burner so not too sure about temp control for cooking joints etc and being able to use a smoker with it.

Any advice would be gratefully received :ok:

Courtney Mil
24th Nov 2014, 09:13
Had you included all the self-insults and faggotry gags, you may have laid an easier path to a real answer and mitigated some of the possible incoming. But now you've done it! :E

I look forward to some creative posting, or are the burnt wood brigade out of ideas?

tdracer
24th Nov 2014, 17:46
Eau de Boeing, at the risk of generating even more rage then your gas reference, if what you're looking for is a smoker I'd suggest an electric smoker. I got one for Christmas last year and I absolutely love it. The best true BBQ food I've ever done.
You plug it in, set the desired temperature (I usually go for 220F) and time, add the food and wood chips, and go do other stuff. Come back once an hour or so to add more wood chips. I usually set it up for ~4 hours.
Simply fantastic food comes out, and it's close to fool proof.

This is what I got:
Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller : Patio, Lawn & Garden

If you have something like a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop in your neck of the woods, they'll have a good selection of electric smokers.

tdracer
18th Jan 2015, 02:46
I know winter is not high time for outdoor cooking, but I thought I'd post an update based on what I've done over the last month.
As noted in my previous post, I now have an automated, electric smoker - set the time and temperature you want, insert food and woodchips, and go do whatever you want for the next several hours until the food is done.
I've been curious about doing a turkey in the smoker - especially how it would do with "stuffing" (aka 'dressing'). A friend of the wife gave us a small (~4kg) turkey for Christmas (at least small by US standards - most turkeys I see in the store are between 5 and 10 kg, with 10+kg examples not uncommon). So I figured I'd give it a shot - I basically prepped it the same way I would if it had been going in the oven with as much stuffing as I could fit in both ends. I then put it in the smoker at 230 deg F and set the timer for five hours. The result was fantastic - absolutely fantastic.:ok: I really like the stuffing and it was great as well - the mild smoky flavor to the stuffing was a pleasant addition.
Today, I did a 'beer butt' chicken - using the 'sitting chicken'. Put most of a can of room temp cheap beer (Bud Light) in the sitting chicken - dumped the balance that didn't fit into the water in the water pan that goes below the food. 4 hours at 230 F. Also very favorable results - and I used the meat thermometer to do check on the beer in the sitting chicken after I pulled it out. I measured ~185 F in the beer (or what was left of it) - basically the same temperature as what I was measuring for the chicken itself.
As the boiling point of ethanol is about 174F, there is no question the alcohol boiled off in the sitting chicken, and I could readily smell a beer 'aroma' when I removed the chicken from the smoker. Now, this was a four hour low temp smoke, not an hour in the oven so your mileage may vary :E. But at least for the way I use it, beer butt busted is BUSTED :ok:

Eau de Boeing
18th Jan 2015, 04:08
Brilliant, thanks TDRacer that's exactly what I need. Next time I have a US trip I will try and source one.

Just tried the Weber Sear Grate for steaks and very impressed too....:ok:

langleybaston
18th Jan 2015, 15:12
There is never a close season for our kit.

There is always the garage [with door open and car outside] if needs be. Not that I wear shorts and a floppy hat and sunnies ..............

Rossian
18th Jan 2015, 16:41
.....you mean you keep a CAR in your garage> How very quaint and old fashioned.

The Ancient Mariner

CoffmanStarter
18th Jan 2015, 17:41
So in addition to the PPRuNe BBQ Squadron having Gas (Premier) and Charcoal Flights ... We now have an 'Electric' Flight ... I need a lie down and BEagle is probably reaching for his Beta-blockers :p

langleybaston
19th Jan 2015, 09:01
Car is a hangar queen .......... the original shiny bomber. I am lucky enough to have a double garage and one car, so the "other" doubles as a workshop.
When we move house the car insists on being first in, so it bags the space that others would fill with tea chests, MFOs, cases crates and half bikes.

This suits nicely in the winter as the car is warm when I reluctantly set out, hence no cold bum for first 5 minutes.

BEagle
19th Jan 2015, 10:09
This suits nicely in the winter as the car is warm when I reluctantly set out, hence no cold bum for first 5 minutes.

Even my little teutonic tourer has heated seats - although I rarely find any need to use them as the car resides in the garage overnight. As does the wonderful black orb, the only true Weber barbi'!

'Electric' smokers indeed? Why not just wheel the oven outside and use an extension lead....:rolleyes:

The bottled breath of Satan's backside is bad enough - but electrickery :eek:

langleybaston
19th Jan 2015, 10:31
That's two PPRUNERS who use a garage as designed!

Rossian
19th Jan 2015, 14:48
....I never got over quarters garages where it was nigh on impossible to get the car into the garage and then get YOU out of the car. Even when I did get a double garage, by the time I'd installed the bandsaw, lathe, workbench and all the paraphenalia there STILL wasn't room for a car. I've found that the answer has been a carport between the end of the house and the garage.

The Ancient Mariner

langleybaston
19th Jan 2015, 15:05
Yes, now you mention MQ versions ....... OMQ, Portadown Way JHQ were a very tight squeeze for baling out.
Where they WERE useful was for street BBQs and thrashes that involved wet/cold/windy weather ......... a whole row of garages, smoke billowing out, red eyes, coughing ........ drink anyone?

langleybaston
3rd Apr 2015, 15:58
Right, people, all three BBQs serviced and ready for a glimpse of clement weather.

Big red one: new handle, home made. Leg secured [at last, it fell off once too often when being trundled, Weber no use as a bipod]

Smoky Joe: might just last another year. Not too pleased, its only 22 years or so old. JHQ PX. Do they do refunds?

Gas. A spare cylinder of Satan's Backside Breath on standby.

Please report status.

Come on sun.

CoffmanStarter
3rd Apr 2015, 16:06
Happy to report Coff's Gas BBQ passed it's 'Annual' certification after a full service and is ready for action ...

However current Wx Colour State here in E. Sx. UK is 'BLACK' :(

The main question though ... Has BEagle completed the annual hacking of his garden undergrowth ready for commencement of Ops this year :}

langleybaston
3rd Apr 2015, 16:42
BLK? Ice on the patio? Path blocked by crashed wheelbarrow?

A murky YLO here in S Lincs, but drinkies at 1800 so trending RED through bottom of glass.

Lonewolf_50
3rd Apr 2015, 20:06
22.5" Weber is at full readiness now that wheel attach defect has been remedied. This past weekend the following were cooked on the grill with soaked mesquite chunks added for smoky flavoring:

Two sirloin steaks (cooked to medium)
12 hamburgers with secret seasonings only known to certain rotary lupines
4 chicken breasts, they were MOIST after being cooked on the grill! (Seasonings are simple: salt, pepper, garlic, paprika. It's the mesquite smokiness that gives the signature flavor here)
zucchini
mushrooms
fresh jalapenos
fresh red bell peppers

The missus was most pleased, and the local food critic, my son, gave all served a thumbs up. Evolution was conducted under South Texan Weber Standard 3.20, which requires at least two pints of Boddington's (the ones in the magic can with the cartridge in the bottom) and a cigar.

My hopes to you all thawing out soon and enjoying your Webermania! :ok:

cornish-stormrider
3rd Apr 2015, 21:33
Right - tennn chutt.....

I am truly blessed in the change in circumstances, we have moved to Gods Finest Created Work ( Cornwall) and are residing in the countryside.

As I now have junior spanner monkey very mobile and "helpful" I can no longer permit the use of half an oil drum and fire to cuisine with...

I fear I am about to join the breath of Satans Arse brigade and go gas..... Shudder

However, our house cooker is a gurt big oil fired Rayburn and I shan't be cooking on that in the summer - so recommendations for a gas grill please as it is going to get quite a lot of use

Thank you, ease springs

tdracer
3rd Apr 2015, 23:47
We had a really mild winter here (lots of rain though - there is more moss in my lawn than grass :eek:). The mild temps mean the grill has been in use all winter long (one advantage of gas is the minimal tending it requires to get good results, so the time spent outside in the cold is minimized). Did a really nice grilled chicken last weekend :ok:.
Cornish, for my money Weber makes the best gas grills out there (their charcoal grills are top notch too). Not only does the Weber give better results than other gas grills I've used, it lasts. I've had the gas Weber for over 10 years and it's nearly good as new - the only maintenance being replacing the 'flavorizer bars' (metal bits that go over the burners) a few months back. Before the Weber I don't think I had a gas grill last more than 5 years before it would rust out :rolleyes:

BEagle
16th Apr 2015, 08:56
The main question though ... Has BEagle completed the annual hacking of his garden undergrowth ready for commencement of Ops this year :}

If you mean have the Flymo and strimmer been out to cut down the jungle....or rather the few tufts of grass around my shoebox, then the answer is yes.

But the recent sun has also caused the trusty blackfellow to be awakened from hibernation; nothing too exotic yet though, just etwas Bratwurst mit Bratkartoffeln accompanied by Senf mit Mayo....and some Hefe-Weißbier, selbstverständlich!

The weather-guessers have alleged sunshine again today, so some chook is destined for the Black Orb treatment later!

teeteringhead
16th Apr 2015, 11:00
Late on Parade BEags. The Teetering Towers trusty black orb performed for the first time this (calendar) year on Easter Sunday, when it fed 3 generations of Teeters - well, the tinies weren't into steaks just yet, but enjoyed the garlic mushrooms.

I even - Weber forgive me - grilled some veggie sausages for the herbivorous Junior Daughter. :yuk:

Of course, it was wheeled out for the now traditional Turkey BBQ on 25th December .... :ok:

CoffmanStarter
16th Apr 2015, 15:36
A Flymo ...

Good God BEagle ... A 'device' such as that is far too close on the evolutionary scale to those other 'things' that beat the laws of physics in to submission to get airborne ... How could you ;)

Lonewolf_50
16th Apr 2015, 15:51
A Flymo ...

Good God BEagle ... A 'device' such as that is far too close on the evolutionary scale to those other 'things' that beat the laws of physics in to submission to get airborne ... How could you ;)
(In a slight misquote of an old adage)

To fly is human, to hover is divine.

BEagle
16th Apr 2015, 16:48
The Flymo knows its place as a hovercraft - the rotating part is close to the surface and cannot be confused with those awful clattering things which are so hideously ugly that the Earth repels them from its surface.

langleybaston
17th Apr 2015, 16:53
If the earth did not repel a Flymo it would not work, would it? Rather similar to a helicopter one might think.

When in a hole ................

Go on, don't rise to the bait. Grit your tooth.

teeteringhead
17th Apr 2015, 19:01
Grit your tooth. :D l;ss;ds;d ';[; '[';ds d;'dwl;w

Courtney Mil
17th Apr 2015, 20:31
A "flymo"? I cannot imagine what that might be. A homosexual in an airliner?

si.
17th Apr 2015, 21:04
That would add a new dimension to performing a barrel role....:mad:

CoffmanStarter
18th Apr 2015, 08:54
Gentlemen ... We should all have one of these :}

A well executed series of 'Wingovers' after each pass should give one the desired Wimbledon Stripes :ok:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWfqVWC2KI

Coff

Courtney Mil
18th Apr 2015, 09:21
I trust that's a charcoal-powered flying lawn mower, Coff.

BEagle
18th Apr 2015, 11:03
Hmm, I never did like stripy lawns. Always reminded me of the sort of thing you'd seen in an ATCO catalogue of the 'lashings of ginger beer' era of the 1950s, with Father (not 'Dad' in those days!) in his tweed suit puffing away on his pipe whilst mowing happily away. Mother in a deck chair in a sun dress with a glass of said ginger beer, with the rosy-cheeked son in his Viyella shirt, tie, sleeveless pullover and grey flannel shorts and pig-tailed daughter in a pinafore dress. The sort of kids you'd see in a Hornby Dublo catalogue - except, of course, for the girl. Girls had dolls, not train sets - such gender stereotyping was the norm in those days.

Petrol-powered motor mowers of those days all shared a traditional British characteristic - they were absolute buggers to start. Usually because they needed decoking, thanks to the wrong oil:fuel ratio in their diets. To keep you on your toes, they would often kick back if they had starting handles, or catch you on the shins if fitted with kick starts. Once underway they were reasonably reliable though and cylinder mowers could be persuaded to produce those infamous Wembley stripes.

But for sheer malevolent brutality, the daddy of them all was the infamous 'Allen Scythe', a device which can only have been designed by a psychopath. It resembled a small howitzer, but without the gun. It had 2 large wheels, only one of which was driven as a differential would only have been something else to go wrong and was powered by a 150cc Villiers 2-stroke, which incorporated the traditional British starting reluctance until the rope wrapped around the flywheel had been yanked sufficiently for the engine to tire of the game and start with clouds of blue smoke. A clutch disengaged the wheel, but the brute had a pair of scissor-action inter-meshing teeth on a 3 foot wide blade at the front - which were always driven whenever the engine was running....

The Allen Scythe was assembled by people to whom 'precision' was something of an unknown concept. To get round this, they recommended that the brutes should be serviced annually, advice which few owners would heed. With time, vibration and indifferent ownership would add an extra dimension of fun to Allen Scythe operation, entirely due to the clutch. A slot in the clutch lever was supposed to hold the thing out of drive by engaging on a short ratchet device which poked down through the slot. In theory you pulled up on the clutch lever and the ratchet held it in place. But the ratchet teeth soon became worn and the various joints in the linkage became sloppy. So often the vibration of the engine would cause the ratchet to let go when you were least expecting it and the device would charge forward to bury its fangs in whatever was in front of it! Lesson No.1 - never stand in front of an Allen Scythe if the engine is running! But even more fun was that the slop in the linkage was sufficient for the ratchet to move out of its slot, so that when you pulled the lever it would jam against the ratchet and you had to aim the brute at something safe before stopping it by the cut-off - which merely shorted the plug to earth.... Lesson No.2 - declutch early!

All this made the starting ritual most entertaining and it was guaranteed to attract a small crowd of spectators, who would wisely stand well clear. Turn on the petrol tap, tickle the carburettor, apply the choke, set the throttle on the left handle and heave away on the pull starter, whilst holding the clutch lever up. When it eventually fired, you had to release the choke with one hand, wiggle the throttle with the other to keep it going and hold the clutch lever with your third hand.... Wheel speed was directly proportional to throttle setting, so once it was going you aimed it in a safe direction and cautiously let out the clutch - which was somewhat binary 'all or nothing' in nature. Often it would set off at quite a surprisingly brisk pace, much to the amusement of the spectators, as the operator clung on for dear life!

Doubtless elf 'n safety would use the Allen Scythe as a classic example of 'How Not To' - whereas all I have to do with the Flymo is plug it in and avoid running over the cable. Much less terrifying than wrestling with an Allen Scythe possessed of diabolic intent!

But the sun is out; even though the weather-guessers have arranged for an unpleasantly cold easterly breeze, the Black Orb will be performing again this evening!

Wander00
18th Apr 2015, 12:31
I remember the local council workers using them when I was a kid. Lethal looking bits of kit ISTR

BEagle
18th Apr 2015, 12:32
Woody42, the version in that clip seems to be a slightly later model than the infernal device I knew. For one thing, it has a proper moulded plug cap, rather than the screw top plug I knew....

The problem with the screw top plug was that tall greenery would fall on it after being chopped down, efficiently shorting the exposed plug top to earth thereby stopping the engine. Which was almost impossible to restart if hot.

Back in the early '70s, my late father borrowed an Allen Scythe to tackle the triffids in our orchard.

We should have known better.

After it had been unloaded, the first time he started it, it lunged forward in the traditional manner, to take a bite out of the can of petrol/oil mix which had been delivered with it, causing the entire contents to escape.

The following day was a Sunday. Being an idle student down from university for the vacation, I was in bed listening to my father's colourful vocabulary whilst he was triffid-killing in the orchard. We lived in the Old Rectory right next to the local god-shop and I could clearly (and somewhat guiltily) hear the good folk of the congregation happily singing away. At the end of one hymn, they'd just got to the 'amen' at the precise moment the Allen Scythe decided it would stop its engine after a dead triffid fell on the plug..... Unfortunately the moment of holy silence in the god-shop between the hymn and the vicar resuming the service was punctuated by a yell of "YOU BASTARD THING!" from the orchard. I lay giggling like an idiot, in the sure knowledge that if I could hear both my father and the congregation, then they could probably hear him as well...

Howabout
18th Apr 2015, 13:21
Brilliant BEagle - a lovely dissertation on the superiority of British engineering!

Similar to Pommy motor-cycles of the era. I could never figure out why the foot-brake was the same side as the clutch and the gears were the same side as the front-brake (hand-brake on the throttle stem).

These days there are all sorts of warnings by the nanny state to protect idiots from themselves. Given the total illogicality of the British HMI of the day, surely something like 'do not operate this machine if you drink VB' would have been appropriate!

Gas still sucks and I have just cocooned the old girl after her 30th year of faithful service. She'll be back as good as gold after we suffer through another freezing winter.

BEagle
19th Apr 2015, 09:34
Indeed they were!

Here's another clip of the version I remember - complete with the exposed plug top.

watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_DDw0udcOP8

If you weren't careful, when you operated the shorting device to stop it, the HT electrics would take the path to earth through the operator - another endearing characteristic of the psychopathic brute!

In this clip, the operator has cheated and built himself an external electric starter, which looks almost as lethal as the brute itself:

watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tLiNteFXzr0

The shorting effect caused by wet greenery falling on the plug is also seen - as is the device's enthusiasm for finding a location with minimum potential energy, from which it eventually emerges with drooling fangs, taking the operator for a brisk walk. He can also be seen practising the 'Allen Scythe tug-o-war' without declutching first - invariably the brute would win and bury itself deeper in the undergrowth!

A truly diabolical device, the Allen Scythe.

Still, last night's performance of the Black Orb was up to spec.!

Autobahnstormer
20th Apr 2015, 10:26
BEagle,

I had a Qualcast Royal which was two years older than my mother! It was also equipped with a Villiers 2 Stroke engine with a starting handle and a Golden Lodge 2-piece spark plug. It was a complete sod to start but when it finally screamed into life I would have to sprint behind it to stay up with it. I could do the back garden at our old Type IV at Manby in about 7 minutes which left me blowing like a Grand-National winner. It's cast-iron sides and general over-engineeredness made it a complete swine to load into the car/trailer and after it tore my thumbnail off I donated it to my Uncle. Happy memories!:ok:

ABS

langleybaston
20th Apr 2015, 13:36
What about those incredible tiny things with two wheels, cylinder-cut, wooden shaft and T bar handle and push-power only?.

Those bastards only came out, I swear, for Bob-a Job week, so that the sadists could sit in the garden and watch poor little LB struggling with foot-high grass with embedded dog****.

And only a Bob at the end of it.

The experience made the person I am ................

BEagle
20th Apr 2015, 14:09
Those of us who were unlucky enough to be misemployed as slaves during Bob-a-Job week will undoubtedly recall that it invariably coincided with the time that weeds appeared in peoples' gardens.....

Weeding some old bat's front garden (that isn't a euphemism, by the way...) for a mere 1/- for the scouts' funds was hardly fair. But there were other abuses (not of the Jimmy Savile kind) as well - taking a nasty little fox terrier for a walk, for example. The little bastard kept biting my ankles, so I let it off its lead - whereupon it buggered off over the far horizon and took ages to capture using the Spam from my lunch sandwich as bait...... "He did have a nice long walk", the owner commented later, "so let me give you 1/6d instead...." :(

Courtney Mil
21st Apr 2015, 17:18
A little barbecue lunch today. Nothing fancy, just a traditional burger with all the trimmings, buckets of white Bordeaux and a long float in the pool. Sounds lovely. But there are a few things here some of you need to heed.

First the cooker. None of your prefabricated metal monstrosities; this is made from baked clay and cannot be wheeled around the garden. It takes at least an hour to warm the oven to its operating temperature and it cooks slowly and gently.

Next the fuel...

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11148728_10153248690163958_8863988238187520712_n.jpg?oh=f491 8eb031a37ee463dee1866e21124d&oe=55D0C714

This is home made wood charcoal from oak felled from our own trees. No gay "briquettes" from your English supermarkets. Days to render to produce the perfect heat and that delicate flavour instilled into the meat. If gas is the flatulence of satan, then those briquette things are surely his turds.

Lighter fluid home made from our own produce. A mix of olive oil from our trees last year, mixed with my neighbour's "special distillation" from his own vines.

Next, the most important thing of all...

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/10408854_10153248618228958_3592040756604296878_n.jpg?oh=1e97 26afa137b47543e38ca25ae6bc48&oe=55D613D6

To control and correctly mix the charcoal during prepartion, a compressor blade from a Royal Navy Sea Harrier. The first time it's ever done anything useful in its life!

Bon appetit!

CoffmanStarter
21st Apr 2015, 17:31
Well played Courtney ... But I do think we ought to organise a Brewery Air Drop for you :ok:

Courtney Mil
21st Apr 2015, 17:35
Coff, I knew you would save me. Samuel Smiths Old Brewery Bitter would restore me to the peak of perfection. It will have to be at night so I'll lay out the lights for a secret drop zone. You are a star!

Wander00
21st Apr 2015, 18:10
CM - not warm enough yet for the pool here in the S Vendee, but a nice enough day nevertheless

BEagle
21st Apr 2015, 18:37
CM, mon brave, I do hope that the floater in your pool wasn't as the result of le hamburguerre?

Looks pretty damn nice down there in your part of France! And isn't that a Fighting Cocks' apron?

Tonight's barbi' here in British West Oxfordshire was very much low rent compared with yours - just some more Reichswurst und Bratkartofflen mit Mayo-Senf und ein mandatory Hefe-Weißbier.

Although in your honour, I do admit to have partaken of a little cinquante-et-un whilst the charcoal was firing up....:ok:

Courtney Mil
21st Apr 2015, 19:41
FloatING, BEags, not floaters. As well you know. And, yes, very much the chequers apron. As you might expect. I wouldn't want to let you down! :ok:

I trust your barbi tonight is good and not cooked on Satan's turds.

Now, about your language...

Reichswurst und Bratkartofflen mit Mayo-Senf und ein mandatory Hefe-Weißbier.

Cela ne marchera pas dans cette partie de la France, so I shall have to guess...

Sausage of the Reich and baby potatoes with snotty mayonnaise and "you vill enjoys ze beer!"

Right?

BEagle
22nd Apr 2015, 06:39
Yes, the Wurst was standard NATO brattie - although like many other things*, they seem to be getting smaller these days....:uhoh:

No doubt in La Belle France, your snorkers are something ethnic made from the tusks, tails, trotters and testicles of the local sanglier?

Barbi' was indeed fired by proper charcoal, not briquettes! With a few wood chippings added.

Mayo-Senf I make from 3 parts mustard to one part mayonnaise - to add some 'Schnelli' taste. As for the Bratkartoffeln, not baby potatoes, more like 'home fries' jazzed up a little. Paulaner Hefe-Weißbier is naturally cloudy 5.5% AbV wheat beer from Bavaria - beats the heck out of VB or that 1664 stuff!

* such as Wagon Wheels, I meant!

PlasticCabDriver
22nd Apr 2015, 08:38
We even lit up in deepest darkest Aberdeenshire yesterday. Very pleasant it was too.

Oh well, summer was lovely, Autumn started today.

langleybaston
22nd Apr 2015, 13:33
I cannot compete but, to break our duck, we had the swiftest of lunchtime meals [courtesy of the breath of satan's backside]:

bratties, Large lincolnshires, home-made bread, home-made kaisersenf [:one part horseradish, three parts wholegrain mustard]. And sparkling mineral water. We were both driving.

Flash to bang and out the house inside 60 minutes. How the poor get by.

Lonewolf_50
22nd Apr 2015, 14:34
home-made kaisersenf [:one part horseradish, three parts wholegrain mustard].
I love learning, this will be prepped at Casa Del Lobo Solitario this weekend.
I'll add some locally made sausage to the grill as a supplement.
We've been out of town two weekends in a row. SWMBO has requested / directed that Weber Ops shall resume this Sunday evening.
The skirt steak begins marinating Saturday morning in lime and tequila, fresh pablano peppers (from the Saturday Morning farmer's market) will be roasted, and of course onions and jalapenos to round out the veggie contingent. Beer to be named later, but Modelo Especial (http://www.barbizmag.com/images/stories/negromodelo.gif)usually goes well with a fajita dinner.
a quote from our last Weber Operations from my son
"This is better than restaurant food, and cheaper."

Courtney Mil
22nd Apr 2015, 14:37
...and great fun, Lobo.

STANDTO
28th May 2015, 20:57
I now have the best of both worlds - a Weber Kettle (12 yrs old) for the more artisan stuff, and a Weber 330 Genesis for the get-home-and-fancy-a-barbie stuff.

Must say I am gobsmacked with the performance of the 330 - but then again it was ten times the price.

smujsmith
29th May 2015, 21:18
Already enjoyed three hearty menus from the big green Webber. A Sunday Chicken, a pork joint, rendered to pulled pork, and only yesterday a most enjoyable, 5 course Cyprus style evening dinner. Now, I need to get some filfar and Turkish delight. any ideas gentlemen ?

Smudge :ok:

Courtney Mil
29th May 2015, 21:27
Good work, Smuj! Love your menus too.

Chateau Cortney took delivery of a new, small Weber today to supplement the permanent, built-in, larger capacity barbie. The small one is better for lunchtimes when I'm just cooking four hot dogs. First trial outing this evening produced four perfect Toulouse sausages.

CoffmanStarter
30th May 2015, 07:56
Courtney ...

I can't bear to see you suffering like this any longer ... you are clearly being tortured. With no access to proper beer, being denied a Land Rover of required spec and now finally you are being forced to eat something called a Toulouse Sausage ... we need to get you an Air Drop organised PDQ by the sounds of it ;)

Courtney Mil
30th May 2015, 08:17
Thanks, Coff. It is pretty tough, but you know me. I'll just soldier on and try not to complain. Actually, you have just given me a great idea. My neighbour is driving down here from England in a couple of weeks with a big, empty trailer. I could actually do with a proper beer or two. I'll get him on the case. :ok:

Lima Juliet
30th May 2015, 08:29
Courtney, give Parky a call on BBMF to see if he can roster in one if these for you...

http://www.armyairforces.com/download.axd?file=1;215375

It is after all an emergency mercy mission for a Veteran...:ok:

LJ

Courtney Mil
30th May 2015, 08:34
Great plan, Leon. I'll get the drop zone on the south lawn cleared. :cool:

langleybaston
30th May 2015, 16:26
Woe woe thrice woe!

The weather here ist sehr schlecht, only managed one "sit-outside to eat BBQ" and its almost June.

OK so I am nesh ........ 3 years at Nicosia buggered the body for anything less than 22 Deg for sitting outside. Not seen 22 Deg since last year.

Enough to make one pull one's pork.

Courtney Mil
30th May 2015, 16:33
...but pulling one's pork isn't something we like to discuss here, Langley. :=

Lima Juliet
30th May 2015, 17:01
Apparently, Kerry Katona will do pulled pork for £1.50, but unfortunately your wood has to be fired first! (at Iceland):

https://www.iceland.co.uk/_assets/images/cache/autoxauto/6451.jpg

LJ :ooh:

Courtney Mil
30th May 2015, 19:45
You forgot to give us Kerry's phone number, Leon.

smujsmith
30th May 2015, 21:31
Steady lads, wasn't it Sqdn Ldr Kerry Katona, that VC10 driver, made up to fit the LH seat ? :rolleyes:

Langley, get some kit on lad, and get your Webber going. Ignore the weather, it's only the construct of those met men.:rolleyes:

teeteringhead
31st May 2015, 14:12
Absolutely Smudge!

Weather's never too bad - you're just not properly dressed!

[Applies to a number of outdoor activities! :E]

langleybaston
31st May 2015, 15:43
If you are sure ....................

ex-fast-jets
31st May 2015, 17:23
If you're using GAS - the very best BBQ fuel, then 24/7/365/366 BBQ'ing is ever so easy!!

CoffmanStarter
31st May 2015, 17:27
Well said Bomber :ok:

smujsmith
31st May 2015, 18:45
Langley, without a doubt weather is the weakest most feeble excuse for not doing a Barbie that could be envisaged. I offer short example. During my time as a Hercules Ground Engineer, I was allocated to a route that had a night stop Gander on night one ( nothing unusual there), however, on arrival Albert decided that a certain part of the No1 engine was unable to continue with the route. A signal was sent and the reply forecast delivery of the replacement part in 36 hours. The night stop was pretty standard, Pizza delight and a few screech and cokes, but on arriving at breakfast the next morning, our Captain informed us that we had been invited to a Barbecue with the RAFLO, at his home, that afternoon. We were to arrive early. Now, I should explain, it was February and the OAT was around -15, a Barbie ?

On arrival, we were given snow shovels and told to start digging Fred's back garden. Sure enough it was around 15 ft deep in snow, and certainly made us sweat to create our Barbecue area. Once cleared Fred rolled the ever faithful Webber out and the charcoal blaze began. Just as well really because we had turned up in our finest shorts and t shirts (we were on our way to Belize ISTR) and after the snow removing exertions, we're starting to feel the cold. Webber did a great job, cooked the food well and kept us warm, despite ambient.

Langley, ignore the weather, get out there young fella and barbecue !!! Trust me, I'm an ex GE :eek:

PS. I did Christmas Dinner for the last five years in the rain, the only addition required to the wet weather garb is the half bottle of a reasonably good brandy. For some reason I don't remember the dinners too well !!

November4
1st Jun 2015, 08:41
Went to a demonstration at my local garden centre by Weber the other week. They asked who prefered using gas or charcoal then said it makes no difference whatsoever. They both supply heat. The taste comes from the fat hitting the heat source producing smoke and the caramelising of the food. In fact most of their cooking was done using indirect heat effectivly making the BBQ an outdoor oven.

langleybaston
1st Jun 2015, 11:02
Its not that I have not cooked the Christmas Turkey under the red orb. We did it routinely at JHQ [gas pressure very low on the day, and oven too small], and the Portadown Christmas Eve street party and barbie was an annual event, but what I am whingeing about is the current lack of warmth to stand/ sit outside and socialise with jug in hand.

Grandpa stuck outside supervising a chook whilst all the family are inside watching is not my idea of fun. Sometimes they don't even bother to watch.

Courtney Mil
1st Jun 2015, 11:43
Langley,

I always thought you guys could fix the weather. But now it's starting to sound like, rather than choosing the weather and then telling us what you chose, you simply guess what it's going to be. Over 50 years of labouring under another misapprehension. :{

langleybaston
1st Jun 2015, 14:01
Beagle knew all along ........ "weather-guessers"!

When we retire, we hand in crystal ball[s], seaweed, fircones and casting bones, along with the various IDs and passes. Thereafter we are victims of fickle fate

BEagle
1st Jun 2015, 15:00
Managed a quick barbi' last night in the sucker's gap between the vileness of yesterday until late afternoon and today. Charcoal, of course! Chook tit marinated in teriyaki, plus a mix of spuds, baby corncobs, sugar snap peas and peppers under foil in a shallow roasting dish with garlic and oil - tick VG!

Weather guessing:

1. "There is a wave developing on the front" = "It'll be dogsh*t, but we don't know when..."
2. "Developing occlusion" = "It'll be generally dogsh*t, but quite how bad we don't know..."
3. "Likelihood of a trough developing" = "The seaweed has blown away, something has eaten the fir cones, so we haven't a clue. But this is England, so expect the weather to turn dogsh*t without any warning!"
4. "An anticyclone will move into the area over the next 24 hours" = "I'm going on leave!"

son of brommers
2nd Jun 2015, 08:04
Having removed the trusty braai from its winter shelter, was rather miffed to find that the internals had joined the WI and knitted themselves a nice pair of shreddies, albeit in a very fetching blue/brown camo pattern. This despite a carefull cleaning at the end of the last display season.

Easily fixed, full power for 25 mins and all the (now) crispy stuff brushed off rather nicely.

Now waiting for the guessers to provide a suitable window for operations to resume.................

langleybaston
2nd Jun 2015, 09:17
"We flap but we don't fly" [Met men are penguins]

"When I'm right no-one remembers, when I'm wrong no-one forgets"

And even so they paid me very well, and the pension is good ........

son of brommers
2nd Jun 2015, 11:44
good point, well made LB
To be honest, I wouldn't know if my isobars were high, low or indifferent! I'll stop looking for excuses..............
If you're using GAS - the very best BBQ fuel, then 24/7/365/366 BBQ'ing is ever so easy!!

langleybaston
6th Jun 2015, 18:44
We got one in today although the wind blew the froth off my beer.

That would be the isobars.

Spare ribs, marinated lamb, genuine bratties with Kaisersenf, chicken thighs, Mrs LB's secret veg mix in secret spicy sauce, and topped off with strawberries in Sekt.

Followed by a charp.

smujsmith
6th Jun 2015, 19:30
Langley,

Bloody good scoff by the sounds of it. We managed a venison steak, prawn skewers and a beer up the bum Chicken this evening. All enjoyed with homemade bread and a smashing mixed salad. My son and his wife said it was "top nosh". Keep firing it up, ignore the met men.

Courtney Mil
6th Jun 2015, 21:01
Langley, Smuj is right, good scoff. What we need now is some creative met recipes. Or should I say "through". The simple answer may be Cyclonic Chicken or simply Tournados. I wonder if any PPRuNeRs remember enough of their met studies to come up with some suitable met-flavoured ides?

ACW418
6th Jun 2015, 21:17
Chicken mammata?

ACW

CoffmanStarter
6th Jun 2015, 21:18
Aanabatic Pork :}

Go figure ...

Courtney Mil
6th Jun 2015, 21:25
...at least twenty people are on Google about that, right now! :ok:

langleybaston
7th Jun 2015, 10:26
chicken with a shot of Grand Marnier up its castellanus perhaps?

PS Kaisersenf: 3 or 4 parts whole-grain mustard, one part max strength horseradish cream.

spooky3
12th Jun 2015, 20:00
Very quiet on the BBQ front hope this changes with the better weather as I do enjoy this thread.

Ali Qadoo
13th Jun 2015, 13:30
So presumably, if the wx gets worse and fog descends then this thread will have to be renamed "Grillers in the Mist".

Hat, coat etc.....

langleybaston
13th Jun 2015, 15:01
no C A T on the menu, thankfully.

And no icing on the bratty either.

Wander00
13th Jun 2015, 15:43
AQ - damn you, I spilt my coffee, fortunately not on the keyboard!

Roadster280
14th Jun 2015, 01:11
Went to a demonstration at my local garden centre by Weber the other week. They asked who prefered using gas or charcoal then said it makes no difference whatsoever. They both supply heat. The taste comes from the fat hitting the heat source producing smoke and the caramelising of the food. In fact most of their cooking was done using indirect heat effectivly making the BBQ an outdoor oven.

Arse!

Weber themselves sell the "Smokey (sic) Mountain" smoker. It runs on charcoal and is an indirect cooker rather than a direct one. The whole point of such things is to inflect a smoky flavor into the meat. The bog-standard Weber kettle that this thread was founded on is capable (but not very good at it) of the same thing.

Direct cooking, I agree that the heat source is not as much of an issue as the actual heat. But in the higher-end Weber gas models (i.e. not the Q series), they have "flavorizer bars", the point of which is to burn up the fat which drops onto it.

For a couple of bratties, it's a bit ridiculous to fire up a charcoal BBQ, especially a reasonably-sized one, and the Genesis on my back deck does a great job of those. But I wouldn't dream of putting ribs, a pork loin, or whole bird on it.

Lonewolf_50
15th Jun 2015, 15:05
This weekends ops were standard:
Chicken with a bit of chili powder and mesquite smoke.
Hand made burgers with my own spice mixture.
Seared tuna steaks.
Variety of veg and peppers and mushrooms.

Something about soaking the mesquite and smoking it all is just tasty.

smujsmith
15th Jun 2015, 20:56
One for Langley,

Dry Adiabatic Chicken, slightly overdone (hence dry) that cools at a constant rate dependent on its distance from the barbecue. Hope all is well on the cooking front.

CoffmanStarter
16th Jun 2015, 08:09
That cools at a constant rate dependent on its distance from the barbecue ...

Cor ... The application of the 'Inverse Square Law' while BBQ'ing ;)

langleybaston
16th Jun 2015, 08:49
The weekend here was such as to make saturated adiabatic chicken more likely but it was dreary, cold as well as moist so we settled for an old-fashioned indoors roast and a sleep in the afternoon.

The gravy was seriously naughty, substantial amounts of red wine therein, and a viscosity to make it feasible for the chicken to walk across it.

BEagle
16th Jun 2015, 08:56
Roadster280 wrote: Arse!

Rather a risky call on this thread - the lurking gas gays might take that as an offer...:ooh:

Now that the weather-guessers have conjured up some reasonable weather, the black orb has been busy again this week. Hopefully it won't need to go back into the garage for a while yet.....:ok:

Courtney Mil
16th Jun 2015, 15:51
This weekend I have been mostly cooking kebabs, pork chops and a roast chicken. Five barbies in one weekend. Lost count of many people catered for. I love barbies!

Roadster280
16th Jun 2015, 16:09
This weekend I have been mostly cooking kebabs, pork chops and a roast chicken. Five barbies in one weekend. Lost count of many people catered for. I love barbies!

I had no idea, sorry. Here you go:

https://fashionprovocateur.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/barbiencmuseumhistory.jpg

Second from left, for me.

Beer can chicken at the weekend, beef kebabs tonight!

langleybaston
16th Jun 2015, 16:21
Barbie? I'll raise you a Susannah with twangers.

Courtney Mil
16th Jun 2015, 22:12
Second from left? Are you blind? Eyes too close together and does not look like a girl that would clear up whilst the master chef "cleans" the Weber and finishes off the bottle that was accidentally opened just before the guests departed.

langleybaston
17th Jun 2015, 13:52
you have those bottles too?

One for the road and one for the ditch.

sittingstress
1st Aug 2015, 19:28
I am posting this as I tend the black orb. I am trying to enjoy man time with a beer as I cook. Two doors down there is something called a Hen Party taking place in their garden.

There is a cornucopia of ladies dressed as nuns with their lingerie and decolletages exposed.

Stress Towers is three stories high and affords a good view from which to record and report any untoward behaviour. I may be some time.

CoffmanStarter
1st Aug 2015, 20:01
Coordinates ? :}

sittingstress
1st Aug 2015, 21:11
Pointless sending you them as you are a gassist and therefore completely disinterested in the activities.

On reflection I will send you them when the male stripper arrives.

Dear God the view, the view!!!

BEagle
1st Aug 2015, 21:25
sittingstress wrote:
There is a cornucopia of ladies dressed as nuns with their lingerie and decolletages exposed.

Mate, your post is as nothing without photographic proof!

(And I do NOT mean 'Fireman Sam' and the other male strippers - who would only be of interest to either the drunken hens or the limp-wristed gas faggots!

Had a couple of sessions with the trusty old blackfellow this week - real charcoal, of course!

sittingstress
1st Aug 2015, 21:58
I have just tunnelled back into my garden from theirs. Unfortunately they have retired inside. I can hear the delicate screams as they swear and glug Lambrini.

I will make further attempts to gain photographic evidence as the night progresses.

The mere whiff of my manly charcoal burning bought out these sorts. No doubt telephone numbers will be pushed through my letterbox later. Can't really blame them, a proper BBQ'er AND a Rock :)

CoffmanStarter
2nd Aug 2015, 14:33
That's it ... Now you've had some fun ... Kindly put your BBQ grill away until you're allowed out again ... there's a good chap :E

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/30/article-2080050-0EEA068800000578-35_470x537.jpg

Image Credit : As shown

BEagle
2nd Aug 2015, 19:30
CoffmanStarter, I presume that's one of the male strippers you gas-faggots invite to entertain you at your vile, perverted breath-of-Satan's-bottom events?

:ooh:

CoffmanStarter
2nd Aug 2015, 20:12
Nice try BEagle ... Look closely as that's 'Real Charcoal' in use old chap ... ;)

BEagle
2nd Aug 2015, 21:26
Quite so - the male stripper is simply showing you limp-wristed gas-faggots the superiority of real men's charcoal!

Lonewolf_50
3rd Aug 2015, 17:04
This weekend, for Saturday dinner, the missus made an oil and basil and garlic and parsley and red pepper marinate/soak/rub for the chicken breasts that she was going to bake ... but which I offered to grill on the black ball.

We were rewarded with two thumbs up.

The usual sunday plan was put into action, with some Texas sirloin and some chicken breasts doctored up per my usual spice and smoke method.

Two thumbs up yet again. We do regret, however, that the red wine that had been given to her as a birthday present, some "organic" Zinfandel from somewhere in northern California, did not really pair well with the steak. :mad:

She had such hopes, and had purchased those steaks for that express purpose.

If that's all that went wrong this weekend, then I admit to being one lucky man.

mmitch
3rd Aug 2015, 17:08
Have you guys seen Steve's cartoon on his Rotorheads Nepal thread?
http://www.pprune.org/9068515-post3061.html
mmitch.

CoffmanStarter
7th Aug 2015, 17:28
Gentlemen ...

Putting aside for one moment our usual inter-Flight banter, I thought a few of you like minded BBQ Chilli Fans might appreciate a recommendation. I understand for some distance might be a bit of a problem, but the Chilli Fiesta 2015 at West Dean in West Sussex, has two days remaining (today was Day 1). The Met Man also predicts CAVOK Scorchio for the remainder of the weekend :ok:

The event has been running for 20 odd years ... Mr & Mrs Coff have never visited before ... but were not disappointed with our first visit today.

So if you are thinking of picking up some 'interesting' sauces, rubs, marinades or oils for BBQ'ing ... then the event is really worth a visit ;)

Just a selection of what we picked up today ... including 'Weapons Grade' Black Naga Sauce and Satan's Sausages

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/CL0V-XqWgAEUXey.jpg-large_zpsde4kgbyv.jpg

Image Credit : Self

More info here ...

Chilli Fiesta 2015 (http://www.westdean.org.uk/events/outdoorevents/chillifiesta%202015.aspx)

In addition ... the sight/sound of two Spits and a P-51 in the circuit at very nearby Goodwood was magic :)

Best ...

Coff.

Courtney Mil
7th Aug 2015, 18:39
Loving the selection there, Coff. Wish I could get there.

sittingstress
8th Aug 2015, 12:12
Coff,

Apologies for the tardy response, I was only discharged from hospital last night. The climax of the nun saga resulted in severe muscle fatigue and dehydration.

I am somewhat miffed at your blatant breach of PERSEC. How did you get a picture of Frau Stress?

Temp is good, precipitation is zero, wind is light, all conditions met for a blaze up in the orb...but Frau Stress has decided we must go to a place called Milton Keynes to do "shopping". You have seen her, would you argue?

Yours unhappily

CoffmanStarter
8th Aug 2015, 14:33
Sittingstress old chap ... You have my sympathies ... MK all those roundabouts, its enough to make one quite dizzy :uhoh:

I tried very hard to source a pic of a Barbary Macaque BBQ'ing ... sadly nothing ... yet :E

You take care until the next bout of Banter :}

BEagle
30th Sep 2015, 06:58
Well, despite the Indian summer we're currently enjoying in Blighty, 'tis the time of year for the trusty blackfellow to go into hibernation at the back of the garage...sunset is now before 19:00 local, so it's a bit too dark for an evening barbi'......:(

Despite the allegedly hygroscopic nature of the true fuel, I've found that, provided it's kept off the floor and the bag is wrapped, it'll keep until next spring. What are other users' experiences?

That ash catcher on the current black orb is excellent - much less fuss and mess than with the old model!

As for gas.....: bhSa38NzYnA

Fluffy Bunny
30th Sep 2015, 07:32
Like you Beags, I find that the black stuff does indeed keep fairly well if kept away from excessive cold and damp. It might take a little extra encouragement to light after long periods of storage, but, on the whole does sufficiently well if emergency grillage is requried in the closed season or as a starter for the new.

However, with the current met for the weekend, are you sure there's not one last burn left in your trusty blackfellow?

Roadster280
30th Sep 2015, 12:22
I just keep my charcoal bag inside. No need to worry about it then. If it does get damp, the moisture is released is as steam once you've got the thing going, and the steam lifts the normal smoke into much larger clouds.

Far preferable to avoid in the first place by keeping the charcoal indoors. This is for proper lumpwood charcoal rather than those nasty briquette things. I've no idea about keeping those, I moved on from them years ago to the real thing. Far less ash, no binding glue, sawdust or other garbage in lumpwood.

langleybaston
30th Sep 2015, 14:47
Both my alternatives [big red Weber, Satan's Arsebreath Beef-Bandit] are still at readiness. Were it not for various appointments we would have lit the blue touchpaper today.

In any case, a bbq is never far from our thoughts as both are needed for St Nicholas weekend [5/6 Dec], annual family parade here. Turkey on the Weber, loin of beef rotisserie-ing. The aroma brings forth gentle grumbling from starving neighbours.

The St Nick gathering de-stresses Christmas [bugger off all 17 of you, we want a quiet one!] and allows catch-up and exchange of presents, thus defeating the Parcel Post.

BEagle
1st Oct 2015, 11:57
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Zoey_small_zpsfnr6bwjp.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/nw969/media/Zoey_small_zpsfnr6bwjp.jpg.html) wrote: However, with the current met for the weekend, are you sure there's not one last burn left in your trusty blackfellow?

Unfortunately I won't get the chance. Besides, would anyone really trust a weather-guesser's prophesy that far ahead??

John Eacott
1st Oct 2015, 12:15
Out of hibernation last weekend as a trial run for the footy Grand Final shindig on Saturday. A balmy 28C forecast, then daylight saving and 30+ for a few days.

Hopefully without an early fire call or two :ok:

langleybaston
1st Oct 2015, 13:12
Pleased with Beagle's revelation that he trusts the weather forecast for a limited, unspecified period which is less than three days.

Progress indeed.

BEagle
1st Oct 2015, 13:14
Well, with the Cray Twins working flat out, you lot can probably forecast nightfall with reasonable certainty these days.....;)

Army Mover
1st Oct 2015, 18:27
We keep our charcoal in a 7.5 litre steel drum with a seal-able lid; pop any left over lighter blocks on top; the fumes from the blocks seem to permeate into the charcoal and make it very easy to start.

Roadster280
1st Oct 2015, 20:03
... the fumes from the blocks seem to permeate into the charcoal and make it very easy to start.

That's exactly what you don't want. The petrochemical smell becomes a taste in the food, particularly if you're smoking meat.

Top tip - use plain old isopropyl alcohol for lighting fluid. Use a wood-resin firelight block, a couple of ounces of alcohol and a match/lighter. Leave alone for 5 minutes, some back to red coals. The alcohol creates only water, and the wood block just burns down into ash. No nasty smell, nothing to go bang (assuming you use a small amount of alcohol!)

langleybaston
1st Oct 2015, 20:50
Pine needles and cones for starters ............. nature's finest.

Get the grandchildren to collect, and keep for best part of a year.

Magic

[don't keep the grandchildren, return them to parents]

smujsmith
2nd Oct 2015, 18:51
I've always found that industrial methylated spirit was a superb accelerant for lumpwood charcoal on the Weber. Pour on a reasonable amount, allow a couple of minutes to "inpregnate" a lighted match, and off we go. No residual aftertaste, a guarunteed start and as clean as it gets. And no need for brats !!!! Though Bratties might feature.

CoffmanStarter
4th Oct 2015, 14:26
Need to light charcoal without accelerant 'tainting' ... Gas is the answer :ok:

You need one of these ... available from most Garden Centres in the UK ... the Weed Wand :}

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B1x1J5IaL._SY355_.jpg

Heap your black stuff into a mound ... ignite the Weed Wand (striker provided on the handle) poke hot end in to charcoal heap and after a few mins ... Bob's your Uncle. Spread the embers out and you can then continue to use your pagan cooking technology to your hearts content :E

PS. The Weed Wand also makes a satisfying 'Thwack' sound when closing off the gas ... akin to a V1 running out of fuel (so I'm told).

BEagle ...

Do my eyes deceive me ... but are you trying to stuff poor old Fluffy Bunny in a microwave in that picture of yours ... shame on you :=:=:=:=

BEagle
4th Oct 2015, 15:05
- no, she was being weighed. Place Teddyzwergkaninchen in bowl, then weigh. Release bunny, weigh bowl, subtract from first result.

I'm sure the weed wand actually makes a 'pouffe' sound when shut off.....which confirms all our suspicions about using the gas-faggotry of Satan's bottom breath.

Has it been a barbi' weekend in Blighty? I've been at a meeting in southern France; it was supposed to have been in Tarbes but had to be moved to an hotel in Lourdes. Which is a thoroughly wretched place with what seems like a year-round Hajj for left-footers....:uhoh:

glad rag
4th Oct 2015, 15:16
"moved to an hotel in Lourdes"

:}:E:}:E:}:E:}:E:}:E:}:E

langleybaston
4th Oct 2015, 17:50
not many of us left doing "an hotel".

My opinion, Sir Beagle, has [despite your reflexive but feeble Met-baiting] gone up a notch.

Help yourself to a free Actual next time round!

smujsmith
4th Oct 2015, 20:55
Mr Beagle,

Happy to record a smashing afternoon with family in "pig atop hill" today around our charcoal loaded orb. A full Sunday roast, vegetables, and even a Rhubarb crumble and custard were enjoyed (though SWMBO insisted on producing the custard in her gas thingy). A very pleasant day, hope you enjoyed your "pilgrimage" :rolleyes:

BLOGGSON
20th Oct 2015, 10:21
I have seen the dark side and it is not pleasant. Just returned to the fold with the acquisition of a gleaming new three legged dome of awesomeness. I must have been under the influence of the heat of the Arabian sand pit when I bought a gas Weber a couple of years ago, and I have paid the price in self loathing and profound frustration at its irredeemable ****eyness.

Her indoors insisted on a coloured example so we have a lush green behemoth with the lid support thingy and the removable saucepan type catcher of ash at the bottom. Had a go at effects of control straight away and had to debrief myself for poor preparation. Must remember to allow charcoal to die back a bit before attempting to nuke sausages etc. Get longer tongs, and have cold beers at the ready, always.

Also bought a chimney starter device and gazed in wonder at the humungous jet of flame attempting to set light to the 20 foot high tree immediately above it.

I am a born again Weber aficionado and it feels good to be back. A salutary lesson to anyone thinking of dabbling with the satanic vile puny over complicated trash that is gas cooking.

Would appreciate the customary advice on lumpwood V briquettes. Now that winter is upon us and the killer humidity is on the wane, I'm ready to log as much stick time as possible.

PS. Would have posted a pic of the behemoth taking shape but I am refused permission to add attachments. Apparently.

CoffmanStarter
21st Oct 2015, 17:48
After today it's purely an academic question as to which fuel, charcoal or gas, is best ... by 2025, one will only need to offer up one's steak in the general direction of Hinkley Point and it will be cooked almost instantly ... along with the rest of the population :uhoh:

teeteringhead
21st Oct 2015, 19:35
Would appreciate the customary advice on lumpwood V briquettes. Now that winter is upon us and the killer humidity is on the wane, I'm ready to log as much stick time as possible. I always go for lumpwood, one never quite knows what goes into the briquettes ........ :eek:

As winter draws on, the mind concentrates on the Teetering Towers Christmas BBQ Turkey (now a tradition).

See my post 1327 on page 67 for my first effort 2 years ago - for this year I have acquired an "extension" for the black orb (sort of a metal ring which raises the lid) - which should allow the Turk to sit upright a la "beercan-up-the-bum" routine.

Stand by for further pix come St Stephen's Day.......

Edited to add:

Pix (not mine) of the "extension":

http://www.barbecuestacker.com/img/Dual%20Grill_small.jpg http://www.barbecuestacker.com/img/Beer%20Can%20Chicken_small.jpg

BEagle
21st Oct 2015, 20:13
BLOGGSONE, how reassuring it is to read that those tempted by vile, unnatural practices can be successfully cured and rehabilitated from such deviance!

Lumpwood is preferable, but briquettes provide a more consistent burn - but they don't really add to flavour. Either are clearly better than that awful breath of Satan's backside though.

teeteringhead, the bum and thighs of that turkey bear a striking - and horrific - resemblance to a person-formerly-known-as-WRAF officer who served at BZN in the mid-1980s :eek: 'BFA' for those in the know..... Once greeted by the late RFK with the words "With an ar$e like that, you must pack a mean fart!". "What did you say?", she replied, to which he repeated his earlier comment only rather louder...:ok:

RIP, RFK.

Wander00
21st Oct 2015, 20:26
Beagle, that is another keyboard you owe me!!

Mach Two
21st Oct 2015, 23:00
I think my bbq weather has gone for this year. Time to clean up, wrap up and store for a few months. Mind you, I'll be deploying again shortly, so there may be some opportunities before the wonderful British Spring.

Lonewolf_50
22nd Oct 2015, 15:20
I always go for lumpwood, one never quite knows what goes into the briquettes ........ :eek:

http://www.barbecuestacker.com/img/Beer%20Can%20Chicken_small.jpg The turkey only needs the newspaper to look like he's perfectly at home on the throne, a moment of quality time captured ... I must get an extension, will be checking the Weber web site for details.

Why didn't I think of this before?

As to lump wood, I find that if I build a base of briquettes, and then add a half dozen lumps of presoaked mesquite or hickory, I get a nice flavoring from the wood and the more or less even burn.

We did pork tenderloin, steel head trout, and chicken on the Weber last weekend with soaked Mesauite. Added a bit more clove and paprika to the rub for the pork this time ... got rave reviews from Lady Wolf and Son Wolf, as well as Daughter Wolf and her husband.

tdracer
22nd Oct 2015, 17:41
Need to light charcoal without accelerant 'tainting' ... Gas is the answer

Don't you guys have electric charcoal starters on that side of the pond? Sure, if you're at the park or out in the boonies somewhere you'll need some other way of starting the fire. But in the backyard, just stack the charcoal around the electric starter, plug it in and wait about 10 minutes.
No worries that the electricity will taint the taste :E

Lonewolf_50
22nd Oct 2015, 19:30
Don't you guys have electric charcoal starters on that side of the pond? Sure, if you're at the park or out in the boonies somewhere you'll need some other way of starting the fire. But in the backyard, just stack the charcoal around the electric starter, plug it in and wait about 10 minutes.
No worries that the electricity will taint the taste :E I use a bit of newspaper in the bottom of one of them chimney things.

langleybaston
30th Nov 2015, 15:50
Does not look too good for St Nicholas family gathering next Saturday. Seems like the "breath of Satan's backside" gas rotisserie will need to be fired up inside, in the garage to avoid gales.

This is a bugger because the garage is attached, with easy egress for delicious pork loin aroma to permeate the house, thus attracting a dozen half-drunken family members and two dogs to stand around the beast.

That means I will need to placate them with bratties done on the side.

Please can I have a little calm slot around mid-day on 5th December? My crystal ball is ballsed, seaweed withered, pine cone burned, and mystic casting bones dried up.

Woe woe thrice woe.

Bratty, anybody? With or without onion?

CoffmanStarter
1st Dec 2015, 07:20
Langley ...

My crystal ball is ballsed, seaweed withered, pine cone burned, and mystic casting bones dried up.

Whilst I'm a mere novice with this Meteorologicos stuff ... You seem to be using Long-range Forecasting technology there ... I thought Short-term Forecasting was more 'eye of newt' with a close examination of 'animal entrails' ... With the odd bit of mystic chanting ;)

Hope all goes well ... Although 'someone' is bound to pop up and berate you for using gas :rolleyes:

langleybaston
1st Dec 2015, 10:17
Thank you! Worst of wind and rain may be over by light-up time about 1100Z.

Elf n Safety suggests that Weber [big red variety] in garage is NOT a good idea, gas slightly less dodgy.

As it is, extinguishers fire, two of, and buckets water, one of, will be handy, and the shiny car well outside.

Courtney Mil
1st Dec 2015, 11:13
Shocking news leaked from POC21 last night. An unintended consequence of stopping nations, especially India and China, from burning coal and its derivatives, it looks like charcoal for barbecues is going to be banned by 2018. Only gas, solar and nuclear will be legal.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p633/Courtneyon/image_zpsffzyvict.jpeg

CoffmanStarter
1st Dec 2015, 12:19
Courtney ... Does that mean there will be a 'Black Market' for charcoal post 2018 :}

langleybaston
1st Dec 2015, 14:12
dare we tell .... ....you know ..........?

BEagle
1st Dec 2015, 14:13
CS, hopefully by then the ecofundamentalist bull$hit of the doom-mongering warmists will have been proven to be complete and utter bolleaux....

?v=1ZSKvgfnyHI

teeteringhead
1st Dec 2015, 14:20
Only gas, solar and nuclear will be legal.

One rather fancies - in theory at least :eek: - a nuclear BBQ....... :E

On QI recently one saw a 1950s (US of course) kids' "Nuclear Chemistry Set" which included U 235 and Polonium......... :eek::eek:

CoffmanStarter
1st Dec 2015, 14:58
That's what we all like about good old BEagle ... He doesn't sit on the fence :D

CoffmanStarter
1st Dec 2015, 15:25
Anyway ... Back to more important considerations ... BBQ Crew Training for 2016 :ok:

Sadly my fourteen year old BBQ Co-Pilot, Harvey the Black Labrador, passed away earlier this year. Some will have seen him featured in earlier pics I have posted. He could track a cooked sausage under full IFR conditions with his acute nasal radar.

After a short interval Mr & Mrs Coff have begun training this young chap ... Arthur the "Dark Earth Camouflage' Labrador ... now twelve weeks old. Whilst still going through IOT (not house trained just yet), we expect him to pass on to the OCU (without holding) in the early Spring. Signs are encouraging ... he displays good visual tracking, intelligence and good/developing nasal radar ... and he seemed to like the froth of my beer last night ;)

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/FullSizeRender%20copy_zpstf8clbhd.jpg

Yes ... we had a spot of snow a couple of weeks back !!!

Best ...

Coff.

PS. I'd also add he's pretty adept at producing methane ... so he too might be in trouble with the Doom-Mongering Warmists BEagle mentions :}

BEagle
1st Dec 2015, 16:09
Sky News once asked for suggestions for the disposal of post-Christmas Dinner sprouts...

One suggestion was that any self-respecting Labrador would scoff the lot.

I rang them to warn that Labradors are well-known fireguards and if anyone risked feeding one with sprouts, they should be careful to ensure that the dog was subsequently moved without delay to a safe distance well away from any open fire.....:eek:

Kay Burley could hardly keep a straight face when she read it out on air...

langleybaston
1st Dec 2015, 16:52
Our dear old Lab/Collie cross, Katy, used to produce silent methane with added flavours WHEN HUNGRY.
She became very hungry when serving as Nav Radar, seated on back seat of car, in centre, facing forward, passing occasional comment and smearing both side windows with labradrool.

Wander00
1st Dec 2015, 18:13
Murphy, our "Heinz 97" - looks like a flat coated retriever with dachshund undercarriage- was judged by the vet to be overweight - advice was to halve the amount of dog food and make his feed up with haricots verts (here we buy them in 4kg tins). Since then Murphy has become a significant contributor to global warming - and fortunately our fires are all woodburners so his methane cannot be ignited by the fire - hopefully

langleybaston
6th Dec 2015, 14:10
Pleased to report the garage cooking went well: I strung Christmas lights up to entertain the rabble as they checked on progress.
If food poisoning were to have happened I would have had feedback by now.
Astonishing quantities of cheap red were consumed, whereas beer stocks got off lightly.
My eldest daughter, in traditional first-born prefect mode, warned about carbon monoxide poisoning, my youngest said she was RGN RHV with a surgeon in tow so could treat any such lurgi. Middle daughter said that she understood beer was the antidote.
Roll on Christmas.

Pontius Navigator
6th Dec 2015, 14:49
Funny you mention BBQ, we considered a BBQ for lunch as it was so warm. I reckon near 15 out of the wind.

Mrs PN wants the BBQ on standby on the Day in case of power cuts.

smujsmith
6th Dec 2015, 19:11
Our Turkey is on order from our great local butcher. Our "children are invited with "Ollie". The green globe has sufficient stocks of good lumpwood, and all systems are on standby for the 25th. As last year, smudge central will be once again enjoying the output of the Weber ! I present my sons Sprocker (springer/cocker cross) as we are on that subject.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/ca49562734622eacccb3103acbe2496a_zpszdtjfxdc.jpg
This fella loves his seasonal meal !!!

Best to all for a happy Weber winter

teeteringhead
26th Dec 2015, 10:57
As promised, evidence of yesterday's efforts.

Before:

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/teeters_photos/PC250533_zpswqxmdleh.jpg (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/teeters_photos/media/PC250533_zpswqxmdleh.jpg.html)

After:

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/teeters_photos/PC250537_zpsqdnheqi4.jpg (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/teeters_photos/media/PC250537_zpsqdnheqi4.jpg.html)

A small-ish Turk - about 11 or 12 lbs - as we were only 4 for dinner. Plenty left over for family gathering tomorrow! :ok:

Took about 2 1/2 hours, with one refill of charcoal. Added (pre-soaked) hickory chips for last half hour, prob a bit too long; fine pour moi but Milady found it a bit too smoky. Skin a bit rubbery, which might also mean over-smoking. Interesting that the top seems more done than the bottom, but that may be because there's less meat at that end.

Heat stayed for a further hour-ish, enough for the stuffing(s) and to finish off the (pre-prepared, half cooked) roast potatoes ........ Yum!;)

smujsmith
26th Dec 2015, 19:52
Teeteringhead,

Great post there sir, SWMBO and myself have just enjoyed our cold turkey and "bubble and squeak", left over from yesterday's smashing days production on the charcoal driven Weber. It was a bit damp during the cooking phase, suitably garbed in shorts, a GE T shirt and wellies. More than recompensed by a couple of samples of Scotland's finest single malts. Ollie joined us for Christmas dinner, and to my knowledge, has not quite driven his owners to their gaspirators yet. Happy cooking to all, it beats working for a living !!!

DirtyProp
26th Dec 2015, 20:49
Turkey??
Seriously? The most insipid, tasteless meat ever? That's like getting a Ferrari to do some grocery shopping!
How about this:

http://www.casaledelchienti.it/en/images/stories/demo/places/bistecca-alla-fiorentina-1.jpg

Now, that's a proper use for a Weber...

BEagle
26th Dec 2015, 21:42
Personally I prefer a steak to be free of fat, lightly tanned on the outside, moist and pink in the middle, but without any blood.

Rather like a certain other source of much pleasure....:E

But that Bistecca alla Fiorentina from Casale del Chienti is far too rare for me - and don't pretend that you cooked it on a Weber, DirtyProp - Google Image is my friend!

kaitakbowler
26th Dec 2015, 22:21
Ribs and brisket tomorrow, smoked Tx style, no direct heat. Yum Yum.

Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Smoker | Academy (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-wrangler-smoker?repChildCatid=653608)

PM

tdracer
27th Dec 2015, 04:37
For Christmas dinner, a six pound turkey breast spent eight hours in the smoker at ~230 deg. F.
As Monty Burns would say: "EX-cellent":D
I'm partial to the white meat, and the wife doesn't much care for turkey, so I figured I was better off with a breast than a whole turkey - although it did force me to alter my normal prep a bit. When prepping a whole bird, I boil the giblets in water to make a broth for preparing the stuffing and gravy - with no giblets with the breast, I trimmed off some of the rib bones to use to make the broth. Obviously with only a breast, the stuffing couldn't go inside, so I used a casserole dish to hold the stuffing and put the breast on top - the juices dripping from the breast made a tasty, moist stuffing :ok:.
I was a bit surprised, the wife usually skips the turkey and sticks with the 'fixings', but not only did she take a good sized slice of the smoked turkey, she actually went back for seconds of both turkey and stuffing :E

DirtyProp
27th Dec 2015, 08:07
Guilty as charged, Mr. BEagle!
I truly wished to be the creator of that culinary masterpiece, but alas I am not.
Sadly, in the country where I'm living now (ex-commie block), wurstels and hot dogs are considered a great meal....and I thought that Yanks were bad!

BEagle
27th Dec 2015, 08:52
DirtyProp, have you tried cooking up some Cigánypecsenye on a Weber? Or Transylvanian Fatányéros?

Roadster280
27th Dec 2015, 12:11
Guilty as charged, Mr. BEagle!
I truly wished to be the creator of that culinary masterpiece, but alas I am not.
Sadly, in the country where I'm living now (ex-commie block), wurstels and hot dogs are considered a great meal....and I thought that Yanks were bad!

Ribs, chicken wings, pulled pork, beef joints, whole turkeys & chickens are to be found on American grills. Weber-Stephen is of course an American company.

My UK colleagues come over to stay, and are amazed at what can be cooked on a proper grill (with a lid). They are used to flashing their thin steaks on an open grill, and wonder why they end up with uncooked, but burnt, sausages!

A tiny bite there from me :)

DirtyProp
27th Dec 2015, 12:23
DirtyProp, have you tried cooking up some Cigánypecsenye on a Weber? Or Transylvanian Fatányéros?
I have not.
And thank you for pointing them out to me, 'cause I never heard of them before.

..., whole turkeys & chickens are to be found on American grills.I rest my case. :E

langleybaston
27th Dec 2015, 14:38
Turkey on a Weber?

That was fairly common in Portadown Way, JHQ for many years, because the gas pressure for the crappy little MQ ovens was sadly reduced on Christmas Day.
My Big Red One from 1990 is still going strong, but our meal on The Day was an away game this year.

Roadster280
28th Dec 2015, 01:09
Turkey on a Weber?

That was fairly common in Portadown Way, JHQ for many years, because the gas pressure for the crappy little MQ ovens was sadly reduced on Christmas Day.
My Big Red One from 1990 is still going strong, but our meal on The Day was an away game this year.

JHQ was fine for a posting, but sod actually living there. As you intimate, the MQs were arse. All the buildings were arse, come to think of it. No longer an issue, all gone.

Slow-smoked turkey always tastes better to me than plain roasted, so the Big Green Egg's been preferred for many years now. Weber kettles are OK, but the Egg is streets ahead.

tdracer
28th Dec 2015, 03:51
DirtyProp
As I understand it, the 'art' of proper BBQ - slow smoking meat for several hours (and definitely NOT to be confused with grilling over high heat which is all to often mistakenly referred to as BBQ) - originated in the American south. The black slaves discovered that they could take the lousy cuts of meat their white masters didn't want and make them not just eatable but quite tasty by slowly smoking the meat for many hours. Even today, many if not most, of the best BBQ places in the USA have old black guys as the 'head cook' :ok:
It's only been fairly recently that large parts of the middle and upper class have discovered just how good proper BBQ really is, and applied it to better cuts of meat, making it just that much better.:D
BTW, having travelled over much of the world, the only place where I struggled to find a good meal was the UK (until I was told to avoid the domestic stuff and head for the Indian restaurants).:ugh:

langleybaston
28th Dec 2015, 09:25
Perhaps the portions were not big enough?

DirtyProp
28th Dec 2015, 10:58
Thank you, Tdracer.
Yes, culinary-wise the Brits have been a MAJOR disappointment....:E

langleybaston
28th Dec 2015, 13:23
"culinary-wise?"

The simple food is good.

BEagle
29th Dec 2015, 07:47
Regarding the origin of slow-cooked smoked meat in America, would this have been as a result of knowledge the slaves brought with them from their homelands? Given the African climate, surely a way of extending the life of raw meat would have been developed by the native population?

When on detachment to Barksdale AFB in 1979, I certainly recall a meal in a 'Louisiana smoke house' just outside the base. Rather a rough and ready place, lacking much in the way of fancy furniture and fittings, but the ancient black woman who ran the place produced some very tasty food.

On the topic of old black guys, can any of our US PPRuNers confirm whether old Charles Baker is still with us? A few years ago he celebrated his 60th year as barman at the Barksdale O Club. Pilots who first knew him when they were lieutenants would later come down to chat with him as multi-starred generals!

British food? Often dull, bland and unimaginative. In 't North they still eat the unmentionable parts of animals which civilised folk scorn. And as was once said, to eat well in Britain one needs to eat breakfast three times per day!

British Railways dining cars served appalling food back in the 1950s and 60s - Brown Windsor soup, turbot, boiled silverside and bread-and-butter pudding. The buffet car sandwiches - two slices of thin white bread, cheap margarine and a few scraps of ham - gradually developed a dihedral angle proportional to their staleness as the train slowly chuffed its way to destination.

Thank heavens for the Chinese and Indian restaurants which appeared in increasing numbers during the 1970s!

Portion sizes? Try finding a 'light lunch' in a pub these days....:(

Barksdale Boy
30th Dec 2015, 08:24
Beagle

I well remember Charles from GV 80 - a real gent, who looked after us royally. I suspect that previous posters have not been in Britain recently as the food has, to me an occasional visitor, improved enormously. I visit the US about once a year and have to say that the three breakfasts a day rule applies there too.

tdracer
1st Jan 2016, 01:18
I visit the US about once a year and have to say that the three breakfasts a day rule applies there too.
Whatever else may be wrong with the USA, if you can't find a good restaurant meal you're not trying very hard. As a general rule, if you're looking for consistent mediocrity, one of the numerous national chains will do. But if you want a really good meal, look to the local joints.
One of the interesting aspects of BBQ in the US is there is something of an inverse relationship between the restaurant appearances and the quality of the food - most of the best BBQ is sold in hole-in-the-wall joints (similar thing applies to Mexican/Tex-Mex, and to a lesser extent to Chinese/Asian places).

SOSL
28th Feb 2016, 09:47
I've enjoyed this thread, as a non-combatant observer for years. This from MSN today:

For George Stephen, there was no joy in grilling. Every time he fired up his open-top backyard brazier pit, de rigueur in 1951, he "was smoking up the neighborhood and burning up half of what I cooked." A welder at the Weber Brothers Metal Works, Stephen built a solution by adapting materials typically used to make steel buoys for Chicago's harbor. A year later, the Weber kettle was born.

Complete with dodgy American spelling.

Rgds SOS

SOSL
28th Feb 2016, 09:57
Hi Beags.

I travel regularly by train and now that British Railways is a faint memory, on most journeys you are fed plastic food in plastic wrapping from a small industrial trolley. How I long for - Brown Windsor soup, turbot, boiled silverside and bread-and-butter pudding.

Rgds SOS

CoffmanStarter
28th Feb 2016, 11:14
When I was a very young boy (early 60's) my Dad took me to see the Golden Arrow when it called at Dover Marine Station to meet the Cross Channel Ferry ... I vividly remember the sight and smell of the Driver and his Fireman preparing their breakfast that morning ... wonderful !

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/image_zps50ufjqsx.jpeg

Image Credit : Unknown

Not the Golden Arrow ... But you get the picture :ok:

langleybaston
18th Apr 2016, 16:30
Our two versions: big red Weber and Big black Satans backsidebreath, are about to be relocated ............ when I have relaid 40 paving slabs. Looking at the weather [and indeed the forecast] for these parts, I need not hurry the re-laying of slabs.

The freezer is fully stocked with all the favourites, and we would like to celebrate May Day in traditional Portadown Way JHQ style, but I am NOT REPEAT NOT going to light the bugger until the mercury crawls north of 20C.

So there!

BEagle
18th Apr 2016, 16:43
I fired up my trusty blackfellow a couple of weeks ago before the traditional Easter monsoon, but it's been back in hiding at the back of the garage since then....

But tomorrow looks reasonably promising, if the weather-guessers are to be believed.

langleybaston
18th Apr 2016, 19:55
We are not to be believed, believe me.

Courtney Mil
18th Apr 2016, 20:33
Good call, Langley.

But if you want a hand with the paving slabs, just give me a call.

langleybaston
3rd May 2016, 20:15
We have a GO, seemingly.

Now, where did the fuel go? And why did I not clean it after the Christmas parrot?

CoffmanStarter
3rd May 2016, 21:30
Langley ...

I take it you've been consulting those mystical charts of yours to declare a GO status :ok:

MET Office synoptic chart animation 3 May to 7 May 2016 (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1462579200)

I hope BEagle has mowed his lawn with his Flymo device ready for action ?

Looks like the WX might also be good for both Wander and Courtney down in France ...

Let's hope your forecast is right ;)

Wander00
4th May 2016, 08:47
Pretty good here this morning, and getting warmer - kettle BBQ out this weekend I guess - not a Weber, but cheap Castorama (B&Q) imitation, but works fine

sunshiner
4th May 2016, 12:27
I'm an 'Outback' person myself - a trusted steed since purchased when at Episkopi back in 06, and still going strong. Could not help but notice on the last episode of Amateur 'Masterchef' that these professional kitchens are utilsing bbqs at the rear of the kitchen to 'smoke effect' their food - its taken these so called professionals years to work out what we already know and have been doing for donkeys.

sittingstress
4th May 2016, 17:52
not a Weber, but cheap Castorama (B&Q) imitation, but works fine

Do you wear a Polex watch and drive a car fuelled by diesel? :)

I have had the staff tend the lawns at Schloss Stress and tomorrow I will be lighting the Weber. This will be the first time since daughter passed and it will be for her because she loved them. I haven't made my mind up yet what to have killed to be cooked, but that is a decision for later.

Apparently I am required to serve something called "Salad" as well. Any ideas? Satanists will probably know.

CoffmanStarter
4th May 2016, 17:59
Sittingstress ...

Good to hear from you again after your sad loss ...

Coff.

4mastacker
4th May 2016, 18:46
sittingstress,

Salad is what food eats.

langleybaston
4th May 2016, 18:54
Salad.

Avoid green leaves of any kind.

half way decent: nuts, including little pine nuts and big walnuts; olives [served separately], celery, grated carrot, sun-dried tomato, a few bright pepper strips, little slices of powerful onion, perhaps sweet corn and avocado, and a home-made dressing* in a separate jug.

*We are barbarians and use one of the many German salad dressing mixes that we buy in packets each summer. Their prime function is to stop the 2 dozen bottles of Deutscher Sect and the half dozen Asbachs from rattling in transit.

Bugger! I forgot my beetroot!

BEagle
4th May 2016, 19:35
The rolling verdant acres having been flymo'd, 'twas indeed a Weber DCO this evening!

Nothing too OTT - just pork fillet (which had been marinating all afternoon), plus spuds, sugar snap peas, pepper strips and baby corn cobs all cooked together in a shallow tray with butter and a drop of water to stop any burning. Is that 'warm salad'?

Yum.

Was rather good - washed down with some Hefe-Weißbier.

Jägermeister (from the freezer) or perhaps some Asbach later tonight!

CoffmanStarter
4th May 2016, 19:57
Langley ...

You forgot the fresh 'Chilies' (the Naga is an excellent choice) ... But certainly no Green Stuff ... Remember the Human Appendix is a redundant organ ;)

Well done BEagle ... Mr & Mrs Coff will be BBQ'ing tomorrow evening.

tdracer
5th May 2016, 03:23
The wife's sister has been visiting the last couple months. While on a trip through Utah, we had dinner at a "Famous Dave's" (US chain of BBQ restaurants - pretty good by chain standards). The sister loved it - said she'd never even had pork ribs before :eek: (I can understand the pork part - she lives in a Muslim country so pork is rather hard to come by, but never had BBQ ribs? :{).
So a couple weeks ago I put some back ribs and a 'sittin chicken' in the smoker for 4 hours. :ok:
Maybe it's just as well she's leaving next week - she'd probably lose her beautiful hour glass figure if she stayed around here too much longer :E

gearontheglide
5th May 2016, 08:17
Now Glide Towers is once more located in the Fatherland, memories of the JHQ street parties and lots of forecast sun have instigated our first street barbeque of the summer. One of our number volunteered the use of his new, Satan's breath fuelled device. Short shrift has been dispensed and only correctly fuelled black orbs shall abound. Fire and flesh in abundance together with suitable quantities of pilsner, Alt und Weiss beer. The 'damen' have suggested some green stuff might be nice and we agreed so the barbeque is taking place on a lawn😈

teeteringhead
5th May 2016, 09:09
Remember the Human Appendix is a redundant organ

Or in my case extremely redundant as it was removed 26 years ago! Never thought of that before as a reason for dodging salad .......... :ok:

I'm working this weekend, so trusty Weber will be resurrected after Winter layoff next weekend (not used since Christmas turkey - my post #1712 refers...) Fingers crossed for the weather - although I have done Christmas Dinner in the past with the help of an umbrella and a head torch!

Wander00
5th May 2016, 09:26
4m - Brilliant, but you owe me a keyboard!