PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful Weber!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

teeteringhead
22nd Jul 2013, 12:49
Six sausages wrapped in bacon, . . . . and asparagus wrapped in foil even better, wrap the sparrowgrass in bacon (no foil needed) and chuck it on the grill.

Wrap in a spiral (helix for pedants ;)) to cover virtually all of the spear. Best to use that very thin bacon/smoked ham of Eye-talian origin (the name of which escapes me for the moment) or alternatively thinly cut streaky from a good butcher.

I can smell it now! Mmmmmmm! :ok:

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 14:03
Courtney ... Nice Bird Strike ... been cooking with a Spey :D

Courtney Mil
22nd Jul 2013, 14:39
Coff,

A friend in Germany hit something similar many years ago. Problem was it was still sitting in the tree. The Speys sawed it all up, turned it all to charcoal and sprayed it all over the North German Plain.

BEags,

I hope you also noted the BBQ heat source.

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 16:04
Nice one Courtney :ok:

Good to see you back in the circuit ...

Roland Pulfrew
29th Jul 2013, 12:11
Well the monsoon seemed to arrive a little earlier than expected in mid-Bucks this weekend; still, thank goodness for the brilliant design of the black orb. Wheeled up to the back door, lid on, it still performed brilliantly despite the torrential rain. Although BEags probably wouldn't approve beautifully BBQ-ed corn on the cob steam bbq-ed inside its leaves (why have the big supermarkets resorted to "peeled" corn only?) followed by chilli spiced spatch-cocked poussin and all washed down with a bottle or 3 of that fine aviation-related Kentish brew...

sittingstress
29th Jul 2013, 16:16
http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/841/f3d5.jpg (http://imageshack.com/photo/my-images/841/f3d5.jpg/)

This cheeky little item is rated as flameproof. I will be using it when the orb is fired up in an hour or so. No need to worry about the rain.

I will state the Waynetta tealights dangling either side of the structure have a purpose. My daughter is blind and when she bashes into them she knows not to go any further or risk getting scorched by the manly, magnificence of the mighty orb.

She has made a mental map of the entire house. She doesn't seem to find it as amusing as I do to discover chairs/tables/vases have been moved immediately prior to her coming home from college for hols. :ok::eek:

CoffmanStarter
29th Jul 2013, 17:50
SS ... nice set up old chap ... for a charcoal user that is :E :ok:

BEagle
30th Jul 2013, 07:12
Although BEags probably wouldn't approve beautifully BBQ-ed corn on the cob steam bbq-ed inside its leaves (why have the big supermarkets resorted to "peeled" corn only?) followed by chilli spiced spatch-cocked poussin and all washed down with a bottle or 3 of that fine aviation-related Kentish brew...

I certainly would approve, Roly! Sounds delicious.

SS - perhaps you could consider some wind chimes attached to your, err, magnificent erection :ooh: ? That might help your daughter to mind map the barbi' gazebo, before actually encountering the tea lights. A change of ground texture near the site might also help - such as some paving stones set into and flush with the gravel?

My black orb is currently resting at the back of the garage; since returning from the Land of Bier und Bratwurst last week, the weather in British West Oxfordshire hasn't really been suitable - but it looks good from tomorrow!

And yes - it does seem to be more difficult to find corn on the cob in the main supermarkets these days, Roly....:(

CoffmanStarter
30th Jul 2013, 07:23
How about some full frontal pictures of your machine in action BEagle :ok:

sittingstress
30th Jul 2013, 09:31
BEagle - thank you for the suggestions. The Barbizebo is on stones and daughter does have a fair warning once she has left the lawn. Per Ardua in action!

Wind chimes? I shall leave that sort of thing to the gas faggoteers. I am certain they could place them next to their Sodastreams.

S/BY for thread drift - I have had a plan and will need some help. Please can all BBQers, of whichever persuasion, have a look at the Someone needs a bit of help thread?

Advice needed, thank you.

sittingstress
30th Jul 2013, 09:38
How about some full frontal pictures of your machine in action?

Ask and ye shall receive

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/7/nuza.jpg

CoffmanStarter
30th Jul 2013, 10:31
There again you Rocks like to communicate through Smoke Signals :E

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/willow/smoke-signal0.gif

BEagle
30th Jul 2013, 11:17
SS, yes, windchimes might be a bit lentilista, but if they would help your daughter to know when she was approaching the barbizebo....

I don't know what witches brew you were cooking up in that blackened pot*, but I don't think I'd fancy trying it....:\ Double, double toil and trouble; fire burn, and caldron bubble....

*OK, I know that it's actually a gas-free barbi' lighter....

CoffmanStarter
2nd Aug 2013, 15:40
Saw one of these today ... very tempted :cool:

http://www.extremebarbecues.com/graphics/hog-roast/hog-roast.jpg

Designed for purpose with its dual burner bars it can cook a 75kg pig in 5 hours. Up to 150 servings off one roast ...

But even with £400 off the normal retail asking price of £2250 :eek: ... OC Sanctioning Committee still wasn't impressed :hmm:

Just This Once...
2nd Aug 2013, 17:38
Does it do 'long pig' too?

CoffmanStarter
2nd Aug 2013, 17:55
JTO .... No no no :=

sittingstress
2nd Aug 2013, 18:33
It looks like it has been fashioned from one of those Iron Lung thingies my grandad told me about.

CoffmanStarter
10th Aug 2013, 15:01
Looks like BEagle's Summer Bash in Oxfordshire is off to a good start ... The Wilderness Festival 2013 @ Charlbury :ok:

http://cdni.condenast.co.uk/646x430/a_c/Cotswolds13_CNT_5nov12_pr_b_646x430.jpg

langleybaston
10th Aug 2013, 15:49
in passing: my son-in-law shoved an opened can of Boddingtons up his chicken's arse last week.

Bird was fortunately past caring, so he said. Nevertheless ............

Turned out fine.

Red Weber job.

New to me

CoffmanStarter
10th Aug 2013, 16:01
LB ... Common BBQ method in USA and Australia :ok:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/image_zps93c12901.jpg

Done here with American Kidney Wash :}

langleybaston
10th Aug 2013, 16:25
its OK so long as a live chicken doesn't get any ideas about me. Hide the Bods, for Gawd's sake. And keep the trousers up.

sittingstress
10th Aug 2013, 19:27
Coff,

A couple of points for you:

1. The chickens are being held up by a pre-fabricated piece of American tat

2. The chickens are clearly garnished (a disgraceful practice) with leaf.

I put it to you that you are a salad serving, gas faggoteer of weapons grade quality.

Case for the prosecution rests m'lud.

langleybaston
11th Aug 2013, 17:04
I am AC/DC with regard to Weber versus breath of Satan's arse.

However, my Weber could not have spit-roasted [battery driven] a hunumngous [miss-spell but its an even better word!] mighty 12" loin of pork, half-price from Tesco, started at 1115, consumed at 1330 as centre-piece of Sunday roast lunch in conservatory [feeling a bit delicate] with a Bods beforehand and copious red biddy during.

Time and a place for everything.

I still have my doubts about the ethics of ravaging a chook's arse with a can of ale, though.

BEagle
11th Aug 2013, 17:26
I still have my doubts about the ethics of ravaging a chook's arse with a can of ale, though.

Presumably, in order to avoid the need to retrieve small pieces of part-cooked chook from the neighbouring acres, one is supposed to open the beer can first?

Pork loin sounded nice - but no doubt tasted of the breath from Satan's bottom...:(

langleybaston
11th Aug 2013, 17:33
Yes, tin opened and, if necessary, modified.

I THINK I MIGHT JUST TRY AN UNOPENED ONE INSERTED DOWN THE END OF THE [LONG] GARDEN THOUGH. JUST FOR THE EXISTENTIAL EXPERIENCE.

CHICKEN CANNOT FLY FAR, CAN THEY?

GemDeveloper
11th Aug 2013, 19:00
Per Coff's observation, a much used practice amongst the western and antipodean colonials...

Can also recommend the same practice for duck... it has the great advantage that the bird cooks slowly and the fat gently drains out so that one is left with tender and grease-free meat... beer is good, but even better, save a tin from a previous evening's session, and then use it filled to about a third with red vino collapso and let that gently do the business up the bird's chuff... :ok:

ex-fast-jets
11th Aug 2013, 19:15
Has Brussels approved this method of cooking chicken?

CoffmanStarter
11th Aug 2013, 19:17
BomberH ... It's up to what veg you serve with it :E

Courtney Mil
12th Aug 2013, 10:27
I've got to have this...

http://www.xtrainradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/amazing-terracotta-stone-outdoor-kitchen-natural-stone-countertop-terracotta-kitchen-cabinet-metal-barbecue-tool-metal-oven-small-fireplace-.jpg

Wander00
12th Aug 2013, 12:21
You could cook for an army on that!

son of brommers
12th Aug 2013, 12:35
with any more cut-backs, you could cook the army on that! Gas of course...........................:E

CoffmanStarter
12th Aug 2013, 18:04
Cracking performance from my AWT Mk2a BBQ this weekend ... :ok:

First ... a surprise 50th Birthday Party for Mrs Coff at a local hostilary Saturday evening ... which finished back at Coffman Towers @ 03:30 Sunday morning. We kicked off again bright eyed and bushy tailed at 08:30 Sunday morning. Fired up the BBQ for the first session ... Breakfast Bacon Rolls, which required 4 Kilos of prime smoked back bacon, for all those staying with us and invited guests (everybody who came to Mrs C's Bash).

The BBQ then performed perfectly from 11:00 through to 15:00 cooking the majority of the local butchers shop. We finally finished at 18:00 Sunday evening ... out of respect to some of our friends who still had to work Monday morning :}

Perfect weather and a great time had by all along with enough aluminium in my recycle bin to re skin a F4 and enough glass to re glaze the local church.

Best ...

Coff.

Courtney Mil
13th Aug 2013, 12:38
Good effort, Coff.

CoffmanStarter
13th Aug 2013, 14:23
Thanks Courtney ... :ok:

Roland Pulfrew
13th Aug 2013, 15:04
Courtney

That isn't a BBQ. That is a kitchen where someone has knocked the walls down!! :eek:

BEagle
13th Aug 2013, 16:00
But Roly, don't you find it rather......Cheshire?

CoffmanStarter
13th Aug 2013, 16:07
don't you find it rather......Cheshire?

Nah ... No coach lamps visible :)

AR1
13th Aug 2013, 16:19
I'm a tad late to the barbie, but last years missed summer was my opportunity to relieve B&Q of a really big Weber at a really low price.
I'd always coveted my USAF brother in laws machine and finally I got there. Love it.

Far cry from a 30 plus barbie at the old MQ at Lyneham. Cheapo great mills job just didn't cut it, so I went down the Oil Drum route. With no cooking grill, I visited the BDR store and got a big sheet of mesh used to patch up the reflector on Watchman RADAR head.

Folk arrived, beer flowed, we're cooking on gas (well charcoal actually..)

The more knowledgeable among you may now be thinking 'Whats the melting point of Dural mesh as used to repair the RADAR antennas'?

I don't know, but I do know that it melts about 5 minutes after you put the food on it. :O

Courtney Mil
13th Aug 2013, 17:10
That isn't a BBQ. That is a kitchen where someone has knocked the walls down!!

Can't argue with that, Mate. But it's just so cool. I know a simple black orb would be quite sufficient, but if I worked on that premise, I wouldn't have a 500 watt stereo with tons of knobs that never do anything useful - a bit like the House of Commons.

Anyway, my next house move is certainly going to feature a custom built barbecue area - clearly not as grand as that one, so any ideas gratefully received.

Courtney

BEagle
13th Aug 2013, 19:46
I wouldn't have a 500 watt stereo with tons of knobs that never do anything useful

That reminds me of the excellent Not the Nine o'Clock News hi-fi shop sketch:

TxQqWSnsHoA

;)

Courtney Mil
13th Aug 2013, 20:09
He didn't ask the most important question.

"How many KPD does it have?"

"KPD, Sir?"

"Knobs per Deuchmark, ol' Son."

"Why do you want lots of knobs?"

"Because I'm paying for it."

John Eacott
12th Oct 2013, 12:19
Oh dear: SWMBO conned me along to some show or other and bought a BabyQ for the motor home.

I suppose I'll get my own back with a Summit 6: it is summer, after all.

BEagle
12th Oct 2013, 12:41
How appropriate that such a piece of gas-faggotry is available in the relevant colour:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Baby-Q-Pink_zps31c0fa7d.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/nw969/media/Baby-Q-Pink_zps31c0fa7d.jpg.html)

;)

CoffmanStarter
12th Oct 2013, 13:16
Completely agree BEagle ... anything PINK connected with BBQ'ing is wrong on so many levels ... unless it's the beef being cooked that is :}

Anyway my Gas powered AWT Mk2a is currently in for it's 5th annual 3rd line service and will remain on QRA over the winter months :ok:

I guess our chums in the southern-hemisphere are fast approaching their BBQ season ... but honestly motor homes and caravans :=

langleybaston
12th Oct 2013, 14:16
you mean you don't do the Christmas turkey on it? Big JHQ tradition, and brought back after tourex by more than a few, and indeed my offspring now do the same.

Roadster280
12th Oct 2013, 14:36
Nothing wrong with Weber Qs, in the correct environment of course. That one's a Q100, although you can't buy them new in pink. There's a cottage industry customising the things. Yes, pun was intentional.

We have a Q120 for the boat. Almost the same, but with side tables and a thermometer to take the guesswork out of it to a degree(!). And a nice dull shade of grey.

I don't expect a charcoal beastie would be the best idea on the boat!

But the Green Egg will be in full force tonight, sirloin for dinner.

EngAl
12th Oct 2013, 15:06
LangleyB.
I often do our Christmas turkey on our Weber. I too caught the habit while at JHQ. I caught it in the mid eighties from the american wife of a harrier pilot (Bill W.) did you catch it from the same source perchance?

teeteringhead
12th Oct 2013, 16:26
Interesting to see mention of "Webering" the Christmas turkey, as I'd been considering it for this year, as likely we'll be entertaining some Teeterettes and some grand-Teeters, the latter of whom will be on solids and in need of education.

Never having enjoyed a posting to JHQ, what tips/pitfalls to avoid can the team provide?

(Milady Teeters thinks I'm barking; no change there then!)

CoffmanStarter
12th Oct 2013, 16:39
Never done it ... But my guess, based on the usual +15lb monster destined for Coffman Towers, would be to give it a good start in the domestic oven first and then finish on a BBQ spit/rotisserie ... with occasional basting so the bird (Turkey) remains moist :8

EngAl
12th Oct 2013, 16:48
You can do up to a 13 to 14 lb one on a 22 1/2 in Weber. I never stuff it and I use the indirect method (catch some juices for gravy etc. in the middle). My record on a windy Christmas morning is 1 1/4 hours (I couldn't believe it either!), but usually 2 to 2 1/2 hours gives you a well cooked bird.

CoffmanStarter
12th Oct 2013, 16:51
Critical T's & P's ...

Cook whole turkey to an internal temperature of 170°F (77°C) in the breast and 180°F (82°C) in the thigh.

EngAl
12th Oct 2013, 17:11
Good point Coffman, I second that. I've got a two pronged electronic temp probe.

John Eacott
12th Oct 2013, 21:20
I guess our chums in the southern-hemisphere are fast approaching their BBQ season ... but honestly motor homes and caravans :=

Oh dear: only the Poms could be so crass as to produce pink Webers :rolleyes:

And only the Poms could fail to understand the distances involved when traveling here and the need for a motorhome so that SWMBO can tow the bike trailer when we get to interesting roads and I can get out and ride :p

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5873-2/K1600+_amp_+trailer.jpg

You only need to do the Nullabor once on a bike. Coming back east and seeing "in 1200km make a left turn" on the GPS wasn't the highlight of the trip, let alone finishing on tyres with a square cross-section!

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5421-3/IMG_0489.jpg

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5450-2/IMG_0839.JPG

CoffmanStarter
13th Oct 2013, 12:18
Oh dear: only the Poms could be so crass as to produce pink Webers ... and other stuff !!!

Sadly John you are so right :ugh:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/06/article-0-0C6FC2EE00000578-725_468x286.jpg

Nice Bike John ... and I do appreciate the distances ... surprised to see GPS works upside-down though :E

langleybaston
13th Oct 2013, 14:20
JHQ Webering was I believe a reaction to low gas pressure on the patch at Christmas, when every gas oven was at "full" blast.

A big centre of this was Portadown Way, a Close of about 25 houses East of the NAAFI with grass and trees in the middle.

In both our tours [78-81 and 90-96] summer Wednesday evenings were a free for all in the middle under a massive brake chute. Christmas Eve was another gathering, using the garages [also in the middle] as shelters. Fire engine delivered Father Christmas with presents. Then a lot of us carted off to midnight mass at St Boniface, the worse for wear.

Turkey on a Weber is quite distinctive as it is a very pale pink flesh and definitely gains from the charcoal process. Fabulous.

And yes, the indirect method is essential, place a half-way reasonable white wine in the juice catcher. Keep an eye on the extremities and consider wrapping them with a bit of foil for the last half hour to avoid singeing.

Thermometer essential for peace of mind, under pressure from hovering half cut Christmas lunchers/ diners unless it is pissing down or blowing a gale.

Wander00
13th Oct 2013, 15:13
I am a great believer in the meat thermometer, but get all sorts of flak from SWTSOTBO (She Who Thinks She Ought To Be Obeyed)about using it with the BBQ - I keep threatening to demonstrate to her personally the effects of not doing so, but have managed to stay my hand so far!

langleybaston
13th Oct 2013, 15:47
The nasty coloured rangerover [?] reminds me of a firms's small fleet of vehicles buzzing around Leeds in the 1980s.

You could not make this up.

Firm was called:

FALLUS Plumbers

and yes, flesh-pink vehicles with bonnet and grille area a suitable shade of purple. I never had my camera handy.

Surely the owner had a great sense of humour, or some norty salesman could not resist.

teeteringhead
13th Oct 2013, 17:57
Many thanks to all for the speedy and helpful notes on BBQ turk. Best I've done so far is some beer-can-up-the-bum chickens.

If the Christmas turkey comes to pass - and I don't want to disown it - I'll try and remember to put a piccy on here.

Wander00 - I too am a great believer in "cook to temperature, not to time". Have an old "remote sensor" one with fireproof wire which is good for t'oven, but have just acquired a pocketable "pointed stick" variety - unbelievably cheap from the famous river - which is great for BBQ (or even griddled) steaks and similar.

Roadster280
13th Oct 2013, 19:03
What's the JHQ connection here? I've been posted there, but did no more or less Webering than elsewhere. As far as I can see, cooking turkeys (or anything else) on Webers has sod all to do with JHQ. Perhaps it was the first opportunity for some to acquire one?

For cooking turkeys, there is this beast:

Amazon.com: COOK'S CHOICE CKC6051 Sittin Turkey Steamer: Kitchen & Dining

I use one with my BGE, I did a 19lb turkey on it about 6 weeks ago. It came out very well, fed the family for a week on it!

teeteringhead
13th Oct 2013, 19:11
Roadster - is that not just a very posh version of the beer-can-up-the-bum?

Searched for Turkey Steamer on the UK site and came up with this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yqH83KwxL._AA200_.jpg

It's a jigsaw of the Constantinople Ferry!

ex-fast-jets
13th Oct 2013, 19:40
May I momentarily continue off-piste and refer to John's piccie of his motorbike in a trailer a few posts back.......................

Here, in Pomland, those who ride such things, tend to have a girth which exceeds the internal width of the trailer depicted.

So I am intrigued by the mechanics of loading the bike in said trailer.

Presumably with a bike of that size, it has to be powered up the ramp and into the trailer - so how does the rider get out, and, perhaps more importantly, get out having connected the tie-downs?

Unless the sides of the trailer rotate downwards................

I have completed a deeply scientific study of the age and weight of the majority of those who destroy the peace and quiet of the Peak District on a sunny weekend, and the conclusion of this study is that the loading of one of those pesky machines in a trailer of that size is simply not feasible!

Back on thread.................

The only reason this thread is seasonal is because of the charcoal brigade. Those of us who are proper Weber afficionados use Propane and operate 24/365 - with Xmas turkeys the norm!!

CoffmanStarter
13th Oct 2013, 19:43
BomberH ... That's you and me in BEagles little Black Book :hmm:

ex-fast-jets
13th Oct 2013, 20:11
Oh dear!:{

Another sleepless night! :*

John Eacott
13th Oct 2013, 20:56
May I momentarily continue off-piste and refer to John's piccie of his motorbike in a trailer a few posts back.......................

Here, in Pomland, those who ride such things, tend to have a girth which exceeds the internal width of the trailer depicted.

So I am intrigued by the mechanics of loading the bike in said trailer.

Presumably with a bike of that size, it has to be powered up the ramp and into the trailer - so how does the rider get out, and, perhaps more importantly, get out having connected the tie-downs?

Unless the sides of the trailer rotate downwards................

I have completed a deeply scientific study of the age and weight of the majority of those who destroy the peace and quiet of the Peak District on a sunny weekend, and the conclusion of this study is that the loading of one of those pesky machines in a trailer of that size is simply not feasible!

:p

Still having a slim (built like a racing snake) figure, I can afford to laugh at that one! I had the trailer built with a roof section on gas struts just for the reason you made, plus a storage area fwd of the bike to allow carriage of Weber and ancillaries when on the track:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5876-2/K1600+_amp_+trailer+2.jpg

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5879-2/K1600+_amp_+trailer+3.jpg

The front wheel is locked in a BikeGrab, reducing the issues of balancing the K1600 while adding the tie-downs.

The Summit 6 (next Weber on the list) along with most current units have areas to add smoking wood to create the 'right' flavour for those who are obsessed by such things, but the other reason for gas BBQs here is that Total Fire Ban laws (http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/mobile/tfb/) preclude the use of anything but gas or electricity for outdoor cooking on TFB days.

Since NSW is in the midst of a large number of bushfires right now, not an unimportant reason to reject the charcoal option!

langleybaston
13th Oct 2013, 21:13
What's the JHQ connection here? I've been posted there, but did no more or less Webering than elsewhere. As far as I can see, cooking turkeys (or anything else) on Webers has sod all to do with JHQ. Perhaps it was the first opportunity for some to acquire one?

Yes of course it was a first opportunity for some, but the practice was going strong at Guetersloh on my first Germany tour.

At JHQ there were those who knew and did, and those who did not. Partly it was geography, partly affiliation. For example it was mostly the RAF who did, whereas the pongoes were often too up tight It was certainly not a rank thing, our circle comprised a GpCapt, 2 x WgCdr, 1 x Lt-Col, a slackhandful of SLdrs and junior officers. And a weatherman.

Roland Pulfrew
13th Oct 2013, 21:15
Those of us who are proper Weber afficionados use Propane and operate 24/365

I object, there is only one kind of real Weber aficionado, and they don't use gas!! := I regularly BBQ, the proper way, with charcoal, 365 - including the Christmas turkey. Don't need gas to do a good Christmas turkey and the real charcoal flavour just adds a little something that you don't get with gas. :ok:

Roadster280
13th Oct 2013, 21:29
Teeters - you're right, it's a posh beer can. However, it is funnel shaped, so the base is far more stable than a beer can. For a turkey, you'd need something like the Fosters "oil can" anyway. If it's going up a turkey's arse, it doesn't even matter that the beer is crap. But the Sittin' Turkey won't splash hot beer alles über when it's done!

Langley- I think you may have led a sheltered life. In my street of 12 houses in Willich, we took turns on who was doing the barbie that day. All were Webers, and all were Army. There were 3 or 4 barbies a week April-October (exercise/ops permitting), and the odd one in the cooler months!

teeteringhead
14th Oct 2013, 08:02
Roadster thanks for the steer anyway. :ok: I've managed to find one in the UK - called a "Turkey Sitter" but priced at about £27 ($43) which seems a bit much.

P'raps I'll go for the Fosters "oil can" first - better than drinking the stuff. Even the lager drinking son-and-heir turns his nose up at Fosters - unless there's nothing else of course!

langleybaston
14th Oct 2013, 08:29
Langley- I think you may have led a sheltered life. In my street of 12 houses in Willich, we took turns on who was doing the barbie that day. All were Webers, and all were Army. There were 3 or 4 barbies a week April-October (exercise/ops permitting), and the odd one in the cooler months!

WILLICH!
Life in OMQ at JHQ was far from sheltered but it was FUN!
Walk/cycle to work. Lunch time at home. Ditto cycle to Mess, wobble home, wife in bed, dinner in dog. Ditto walk to church. Ditto to the Fuchsbau and Balkanland pubs. Medcentre handy. Cinema. Acres and acres of well kept parkland. Duty free everything. Almost all of Europe one day drive away.

Tough but someone had to dp it, and we managed nearly 9 years in two goes.

I must confess I have just had to look up Willich on Google, and it was a bit too far to get home for lunch on foot I reckon.

Roadster280
14th Oct 2013, 12:40
Well Willich was halfway between Krefeld and JHQ, where I spent my BAOR/BFG years. Both now closed :(

You've described pretty much everyone's experience in der Vaterland, although as you say, Willich was a bit of a drag for lunch. On the plus side, there were only a few qtrs in Willich, so we got to interact with the Erichs quite a bit.

Howabout
8th Dec 2013, 10:45
To whomever resurrected this thread thank you, as it's coming into summer now. The old girl, who's now just past 27 and cooks a joint as well as the day she was born, looked at me quizzically today when I stoked her up on our first decent warm weekend. I couldn't resist the sweetheart as the pool was sparkling, the beer was cold, the butcher had cut me a great roast, and we were kicking the crap out of the Poms at the cricket.

She looked at me, because it's been a long romance, and said 'promise me you'll never leave me and will never, ever be a gasser; you know that would break my heart. Please tell me that you are not going to trade me in on a younger model; a trophy BBQ?'

It's been a clandestine romance: my wife suspects, but doesn't really know; although Miss Red has been with us for so many postings - she's done two overseas.

I looked at her and said 'do you honestly think that I'm like BEagle, who doesn't just entertain the thought of drinking VB, he actually does it?'

When you see a VB in my hand, which is never going to happen, then start worrying about me being a gasser and you getting traded in.'

L J R
24th Dec 2013, 11:29
The warm summer, sea breezes, christmas lights, late sun-sets and drinks. The BBQ season is upon us, and the smell of out-door cooking spreads over the suburbs!.... The Weber is working well, as are the heat beads within it. It is Christmas time, and what a fine way to enjoy with a BBQ and Beer.....:ok:

teeteringhead
24th Dec 2013, 17:01
As I posted in October....

Interesting to see mention of "Webering" the Christmas turkey, as I'd been considering it for this year, as likely we'll be entertaining some Teeterettes and some grand-Teeters, the latter of whom will be on solids and in need of education. Looks all systems go for tomorrow, the weather will be reasonably kind in the shires ......... allegedly.

Only one Teeterette and the newest grand-Teeter - he's only 6 weeks old, surviving purely on draught! The S-i-L is a Weber man too, and is looking forward to acting as Sous-Chef and Merlot sharer.

Only 4 grown-ups tomorrow, so a small turk - about 8 or 9 lbs in old money.

If not a culinary and/or weather disaster, I may post piccies!

smujsmith
24th Dec 2013, 19:11
Teeteringhead,

Felicitations of the Webering season, and, like you, I'm preparing to feed our crew form the rotund one. In our case a large leg of salt marsh Lamb from a local butcher. All the trimmings will also accompany the lamb on the Barbie. smujsmith Junior is looking forward to assisting and an early start should ensure a very, merry, meal. Best of luck for yours, and a very merry Christmas dinner to all.

Smudge:ok:

John Eacott
24th Dec 2013, 22:00
And with 30C forecast today, the turkey is now basting on the BBQ to keep the heat outside and the kitchen (relatively) cool :cool:

Merry Christmas to you all :ok:

teeteringhead
26th Dec 2013, 12:38
Success!! or just about anyway....

...... the younger generation(s) were late arriving from The Smoke, so meal was a little later than planned. No problem, apart from my entertaining the spectators by wearing my headtorch in the latter stages ......:)

About two-and-a-half hours cooking, then a final "smoking" with a handful or two of woodchips and herbs to finish off. Despite the size of the bird, we fed well and at least as much again left for a cold supper tonight!

Smoke on, smoke on, GO!

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/teeters_photos/db65622e-9f9c-4e16-b995-6f530bfa15e6_zps147c6239.jpg?t=1388064154

The Finished Bird ......

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/teeters_photos/4d65e84b-8f6b-4945-bd38-a80737a1845e_zps6e8c64f2.jpg?t=1388064293

..... which tasted as good as it looked!!

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/teeters_photos/e232d1c6-a3ce-4bf7-8764-4762624fb22f_zps11294ea6.jpg?t=1388064366

This might just become a Teetering Towers tradition.......:ok:

Easy Street
27th Dec 2013, 01:04
This year was my third go at cooking the Christmas turkey on the trusty charcoal-fired orb. For those wondering if they should give it a go next year, I wholeheartedly recommend it. I find it much easier than oven-cooking the blighter; it takes half the time (2.5hrs for our 14lb bird vs 4.5-5 in the oven) and needs far less attention during that time (only 1 basting given, and judging by how moist it always turns out I think I might even risk none next time). 25 briquettes each side keeps it going long enough to finish the job without a refuel. Oven can be run nice and hot to get the potatoes done without the shelf-juggling dance.

The only downside to BBQing the turkey seems to be the gravy; the pan juices come out excessively smoky and even this Weber aficionado has had to abandon attempts to use them. I have been using a drip pan between the coals on the lower grate with the bird sitting directly on the grill above; does sitting it in a tray instead make the juices more palatable, anyone?

Dengue_Dude
27th Dec 2013, 12:09
I've done large chickens this way for several years. I don't baste them as they seem perfect without it.

The hardest thing in the world is to walk away and leave it to do what it does best.

You won't be disappointed.

teeteringhead
27th Dec 2013, 13:45
The only downside to BBQing the turkey seems to be the gravy Agreed - in fact I didn't use the cooking juices for the gravy.

I made a slow-cooked onion gravy - complementing the sage & onion stuffing - using stock made from the turkey giblets and neck.

Good cold turkey (of the literal rather than metaphorical sort) yesterday, will finish off the remains later today with a Turkey Chaat - not quite the same as a turkey curry .......

smujsmith
27th Dec 2013, 19:48
Boxing Day family feast.

Just a quick report, the 3kg leg of salt marsh lanb, done to perfection, along with all vegetables and accompaniments. Further to that Mrs Smudge popped the two year old Christmas pud in and that too was spot on. She bailed out on the brandy sauce, but came up with a "reasonable" substitute from the house cooker. All in all, after 20 plus years service, the Weber is still by far the best cooking device at Smudgedormitary, and hopefully will see the memsaab and myself out. Wishing all of the Weber persuasion, happy eating, and particularly accompaniments.

Smudge :ok:

teeteringhead
27th Dec 2013, 20:39
Smudge

regards -and respect - to you and yours too!!

best wishes

Teeters

smujsmith
27th Dec 2013, 23:41
Teeters,

Likewise, sounds like you and yours had a good time too. All the best for the New Year, and "Lang May your Weber reek" as our Pictin pals often say !!

tdracer
29th Dec 2013, 19:48
Question for those of you who grilled/smoked a turkey:
What did you do for the stuffing/dressing?

I got a new smoker for Christmas. With my old smoker I couldn't hold temperature well enough to make smoking something big like a turkey realistic (it would always get too hot and cook the food too fast for good smoking). This one makes it a breeze to hold a temp +/- 5 deg. of target and has already turned out some wonderful ribs and pulled pork.
So, now a turkey is realistic but I worry about what several hours in a smoker would do to the stuffing? I've got a great recipe for stuff - it might be the best part when I roast a turkey - but will it work if I'm smoking the turkey?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

NutLoose
29th Dec 2013, 20:53
Ok, I dammit it, I admit it, I have an xbox one and 360, on COD Ghosts there are several Webers in the game :)

NutLoose
8th Jan 2014, 21:27
I was browsing eBay and noticed this... thinking of the Turkey's I have seen on here, I thought I'd show you, basically it's cooking a Chicken with a can of lager..

Beer Bird | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beer-Bird-/321268780844?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item4acd1c8f2c)

Btw, I am not involved with this, I just thought what a cool idea.

sittingstress
8th Jan 2014, 23:00
I was browsing eBay and noticed this... thinking of the Turkey's I have seen on here, I thought I'd show you, basically it's cooking a Chicken with a can of lager..

At Stress Towers that is known as an Up the Bum Chicken. A coke can half filled with fluid of choice (red wine/lager/water) and left to cook as normal. Very moist result as well as the chicken tasting great too ;)

GemDeveloper
9th Jan 2014, 05:21
Quote:

Nutters,

Pay attention at the back! Lots of discussion about this in August last year... see posts 1269 - 1278... including mine about the merits of the technique for duck http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

CoffmanStarter
2nd Apr 2014, 07:17
Gentlemen ... The season is nearly upon us ... So for those that need to polish their "orbs" ... or adjust their "regulators" ... best get the pre-flight checks out the way early :ok:

Wrathmonk
2nd Apr 2014, 08:55
Pre-flight checks? Three AF/BFs have been required already!

Courtney Mil
2nd Apr 2014, 08:59
Good call, Coff. I am getting set up for a summer of BBQs, but as a result of continuous poor weather and BEag's mounting pressure concerning the improper use of C3H8 in this this respect, Mrs C and I have been forced to take drastic measures. Therefore, we have sold our house and BBQ at RAF Finmere and have purchased a chateau in the south of France which has a properly constructed charcoal affair in the garden. Pictures and further reports to follow.

Courtney

PPRuNeUser0139
2nd Apr 2014, 10:02
Good move Courtney!
We changed our Weber for one of these (http://plancha.forgeadour.com/plancha_product/chariot-hetre-pour-iberica-sukaldea-600/) soon after moving here..
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRT3M1IKgOqQ6bmRe-fSrTeiUOuOisK2D4JWGroNLSLVdcrJYK5w
Brilliant for meat and even better for fish..:ok:

BEagle
2nd Apr 2014, 10:30
Good to hear that the French have more sense than to cook using the bottled breath of Satan's backside, Courtney!

I hope that your move went well and without too much French bureaucracy....:eek:

My trusty blackfellow has been hibernating at the back of the garage this year, but the first foray with the Flymo and the strimmer is now DCO, so I think he'll be coming out to play over the next few days.

CoffmanStarter
2nd Apr 2014, 13:20
Courtney ...

Glad to hear that the move has gone to plan for you :ok:

Presumably we will all now need to shout ...

Est-ce qu'il y a un coq combats dans la chambre ?

Best ...

Coff.

langleybaston
2nd Apr 2014, 14:06
I have 15" of thick pork loin on standby for the rotisserie treatment Easter Sunday for tribe.
Cook VERY slowly over a dish of white wine and herbs, which serves as the basis of the gravy.
Bugger! I can smell it now!

es gibt keinen Hahn im Schlafzimmer

teeteringhead
2nd Apr 2014, 14:22
Easter plans falling into place and Weber will be on duty Sunday and Monday.

Doing a 24 hour pork shoulder for the family gathering on Good Friday - that's in an inside cooker!

But it's sooooo tender you can "carve" it with a blunt spoon - and the World's best crackling!!. Mmmmmm! :ok:

Courtney Mil
2nd Apr 2014, 16:42
Est-ce qu'il y a un coq combats dans la chambre ?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sidevalve, it's a big stone built-in thing with a chimney and some other stuff. Haven't really checked it out yet.

This is all your fault, BEags!

sandozer
2nd Apr 2014, 19:57
Summer was here last month, and Orbus clocked further air time. Ignore the stainless steel modulating mechanism, nothing to do with increased max mil on the C gauge :cool:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandozer/13587726543/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandozer/13587718493/

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Apr 2014, 23:15
In the midst of a two day Icestorm, with no power for 20 hours at that stage, hot food last night came courtesy of my neighbour's BBQ (mine was under 7 foot of snow). Sod the recipes, it tasted GOOD.:ok:

p.s. this week's Uxbridge Dictionary definition: Snowfence - a dealer in stolen snow.

See 0:25.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRvwWcUsrE8

BEagle
3rd Apr 2014, 06:51
Courtney wrote: ...it's a big stone built-in thing with a chimney and some other stuff.

Mate, that sounds rather disturbingly Third Reich.....:eek:

everynowandthen
3rd Apr 2014, 16:06
Please somebody, tell me how to control the temperature of a charcoal bbq, I beg you. I've been told you leave the top vent open & adjust the one at the bottom but never seem to have much luck. Also, for those of you cooking things for hours, I presume you top up the coals from time to time. How do you work out when to put more coals in? I have so many things I want to cook but am getting fed up of eating dried out roasts etc.

ex-fast-jets
3rd Apr 2014, 16:33
Easy!

Forget the dinosaurs.

Dispense with carbon pollutants which need constant attention and are too hot, or not hot enough, or take too long to light, or are just right when the cooking is over, or zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Go gas!

Instant control - summer and winter - as long as you use propane not butane.

It's been the way of the future for the 30+ years that I have been using it!

CoffmanStarter
3rd Apr 2014, 16:57
Hear hear BomberH ...

Incoming ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... :}

sandozer
3rd Apr 2014, 17:37
"Please somebody, tell me how to control the temperature of a charcoal bbq, I beg you. I've been told you leave the top vent open & adjust the one at the bottom but never seem to have much luck. Also, for those of you cooking things for hours, I presume you top up the coals from time to time. How do you work out when to put more coals in? I have so many things I want to cook but am getting fed up of eating dried out roasts etc."

I take it you have a temperature gauge on the lid? If not fit one. Find them on Ebay. ( I had to fit one on my Weber, see my earlier post/pic).
Indirect cooking method :- To get it it off to a flier use a chimney starter for the coals. Have the bottom and top vents wide open for maximum initial heat. I do smoking as well as roasting. Leave bottom wide open and control the temperature on the top vent, (175C to 200+C easy to control) close to around half again according to your required temperature. More air = faster burn higher temps. I do a chicken roast in an hour twenty, add wood chips half hour into roasting for that lovely aroma I use aged cherry tree wood from pruning in the garden. For chicken get hold of a "beer chicken" style rack and add beer to the tray for moisture. On an hour and a half burn, the coals will last that time with no topping up, again see earlier pic.
Happy BBQing ;)

ex-fast-jets
3rd Apr 2014, 18:57
Your response says it all.

I take it you have a temperature gauge on the lid? If not fit one. Find them on Ebay. ( I had to fit one on my Weber, see my earlier post/pic).
Indirect cooking method :- To get it it off to a flier use a chimney starter for the coals. Have the bottom and top vents wide open for maximum initial heat. I do smoking as well as roasting. Leave bottom wide open and control the temperature on the top vent, (175C to 200+C easy to control) close to around half again according to your required temperature. More air = faster burn higher temps. I do a chicken roast in an hour twenty, add wood chips half hour into roasting for that lovely aroma I use aged cherry tree wood from pruning in the garden. For chicken get hold of a "beer chicken" style rack and add beer to the tray for moisture. On an hour and a half burn, the coals will last that time with no topping up, again see earlier pic.It's all too difficult using Satan's pooh offerings.

Gas is the answer to all your problems!!

Canadian Break
3rd Apr 2014, 19:04
pas que nous pouvons voir!:ok:

CoffmanStarter
3rd Apr 2014, 19:30
CB ...

I'll bet he's still unpacking ... give the old chap a chance :ok:

Roland Pulfrew
3rd Apr 2014, 19:35
Gas is the answer to all your problems!!

This isn't BBQ-ing, this is just roasting and can be done in a normal oven. There is only one way to BBQ and that involves wood or charcoal;)

CoffmanStarter
3rd Apr 2014, 19:51
Glad to see the usual quality of pre-season banter between the Gas Flight and the Charcoal Flight remains strong and healthy :}

ex-fast-jets
3rd Apr 2014, 19:58
Sorry Coff..........

This is not banter - it's much more serious.

Gas is good.

Charcoal is for dinosaurs.

Gas users do it 52/24/7

Charcoal users.................occasionally!

sandozer
3rd Apr 2014, 21:06
gas bbqs?? :* seen just what you are cooking with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp04J6Fzd6c

Gasmen, if you are so distressed and confused by fire, for clean simplistic cooking you should really move up to an all ELECTRIC BBQ , Weber do make them. Comes with a pretty picture book and concise Murphy proof plug and play operation.

Roland Pulfrew
3rd Apr 2014, 21:07
Gas is for people who don't know how to BBQ

Charcoal users do it 24/7/365 not just 52 days of year. ;) I really have never understood why the gas users think that gas allows you to BBQ any more than charcoal does?

BEagle
3rd Apr 2014, 22:41
Quite right, Roly! Gas faggots might as well wheel their kitchen appliances outdoors.....:bored:

As for 'electric' barbecues - how simply dreadful an idea is that!

langleybaston
3rd Apr 2014, 22:42
relax, peoples!

Why not have BOTH at your disposal [indeed, I did have three but my SmokyJoe has succumbed to old age ...............]

Flexibility is all, as you reach a certain age. I remember when it was much less so.

Rhubarb or celery does make a reasonable splint ......................

tartare
4th Apr 2014, 02:02
I assume the point has been raised that gas is usually found in the vicinity of coal from which charcoal is derived.
Therefore it is possible to use gas in one's Weber, not be gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) and experience the essential maleness of playing with fire, grilling raw meat like a caveman while skolling a brewski and chatting to one's best mate about manly stuff, all cleverly veiled under pretense of helping wifey out with the domestics.
Tartare Towers has a small, and somewhat metrosexual gas Weber baby-Q out on the back porch.
Still makes an extremely satisfying "wooommmpphhhhfff!!!' when lit with a redhead, at which point I raise a Cooper's long neck to the sky and toast my dear global warmist friends (not).
It is, after all, powered by finest exquisitely fracked 100% natural organic gas. :E

tdracer
4th Apr 2014, 03:16
It's all a matter of time and (human) energy. Some people have the time do "proper" grilling/BBQ/smoking using entirely wood based products. I'm jealous :rolleyes:. Some of us can't afford that luxury.:uhoh:

My new smoker is electric and I love it. Plug it in, load it with the appropriate meat, liquid, and wood chips, set the correct smoking temperature, and go do whatever else needs to be done. Once an hour or so I add some more wood chips. Four to twelve hours later (depending on what meat, etc. I put in) I've got fantastic tasting food and I didn't have to most of the day attending to it.

Similarly, I agree charcoal results in better tasting grilled food. But if I only grilled when I had the time to deal with charcoal, I'd grill less than half as often. With gas, I light the grill, spend the next 10 minutes finishing up the food prep, and then I'm cooking. I can literally do in on a whim - not so much with charcoal. And with gas, short of a blizzard, I don't give a rip what the weather is - I've literally grilled every month of the year. Heck, often times when I'm doing a recipe that calls for the meat to be 'browned', I grill it on the gas grill instead. And while it may taste a bit better had I used charcoal, it still tastes way better than if I'd cooked it on the stove :=

sittingstress
5th Apr 2014, 11:30
Cooking using charcoal demonstrates: skill, knowledge, subtle nuance, style, panache, good looks and the appreciation of fine things.

Cooking with gas demonstrates: dog wee circles on your grass, 12 item bargain bbq meat assortments from Asda, Lambrusco, pieces of motor vehicles strewn about the place, ugly friends and loud opinions about association football.

The choice of fuel indicates so much more than the preferred method of cooking.

Gas, how incredibly manual labour :)

PPRuNeUser0139
5th Apr 2014, 14:22
There's clearly a sub-text to the choice between charcoal and gas.. that would keep a major psychiatric convention occupied for a couple of weeks.:}
Ye gods..

Roland Pulfrew
5th Apr 2014, 14:37
sittingstress :D :D :D

Flying Lawyer
5th Apr 2014, 17:09
For me it depends upon the time available.

Weekends/holidays: No contest - Proper grilling, or smoking, on the charcoal Weber.

After work mid-week: Weber Q - simply for speed/convenience. Charcoal gives better tasting food but a suitable rub goes a long way towards offsetting the difference.

tdracer
Which smoker have you bought?

Smoking on the Weber gives good results (especially with a Smokenator) but I'm tempted to buy a 'set it and leave it' smoker one day.

redsnail
5th Apr 2014, 19:53
sittingstress :D

At the redsnail/checkboard towers, we have the Big Green Egg. It is checkers toy and only he cooks on it. :ok:

If you have the cash and have an eye for the finer things in life, it is a worthy purchase. :D

tartare
5th Apr 2014, 22:09
Sittingstress, how could you?;)
Tartare Towers has an immaculate front garden, with finest ornamental shingle beds - not a rusted car part in sight.
The chariot of choice is a late model Volvo (definitely middle class because the f%cking thing is so god-damned expensive to fix - 6 hundred knicker for a bugggered fan for godssake - more fool me - I am considering buying a Landcrusher).
We do play and watch football in this house, but this is the Southern hemisphere; where football is called, shudder, soccer and considered alternately a bit posh, and a bit girly.
Football related opinions are voiced in the front room lined with books, but basically they are usually expressed in a civilised manner, and confined to how vulgar it is to support Manchester United.
Other topics being anything aerospace related, science, militaria, firearms etc.
Both demon spawn are at private schools - which hoover another Volvo's worth of cash out of one's pocket every year, and keep asking for more.
To get back on thread, meat for said man-oven is finest aged Orstraylian, purchased from Castelcrag Sydney butcher boys (http://www.sydneybutcherboys.com/).
And wine to accompany it is either the nectar of the Gods, New Zealand Cloudy Bay Chardonnay, or one of many Australian Reds that are as rich and velvety as this sunburnt land, wine which gentlemen, I would recommend you try if you haven't already, because they're a darn sight better than any of that watery French or Italian muck.
Or failing that - as mentioned earlier - a glass of the amber liquid - but nothing too nancy and boutique brewery like - when in similar minded lad-like company standing around the steak being grilled.
Now - you've got my inner snob thinking.
There's a definite dissonance in choice of fuel here.
I may just start looking at au-natural fuelled devices.
Although I will struggle to give up the delicious feeling that I may be inducing more pants wetting in any fool who believes in anthropomorphic global warming, as I put flame to CNG. :)
I toast you all and shall continue to monitor this fine thread for quality discussion and debate, tinged with the odd laugh out lad utterly laddish observation or insult for which I value Pprune so much.

smujsmith
6th Apr 2014, 21:54
Had a smashing haunch of venison on the charcoal Weber today, to celebrate our Ruby wedding. No finer beast has ever graced the grill, even SWMBO was taken by the quality of the cooking and flavour. Looking forward to summer, and polluting a bit more of the atmosphere.

Roadster280
7th Apr 2014, 01:52
RedSnail, how right you are.

It only works on charcoal too :)

Mine dished up a fair supper of flank steak, camp-fire potatoes and mushrooms this evening. Very little to clean up too!

Have you tried pizza on it? It cooks in about 4-5 minutes, acting as a brick oven. I'm not generally a pizza fan, but the Egg does a good job. Just make sure you get a Nomex gasket if you do. DAMHIKT.

tdracer
7th Apr 2014, 03:09
Flying Lawyer, I didn't buy this one - it was a Christmas gift from my sister. But I'm pretty sure it's this one:
Amazon.com: Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Electric Digital Smokehouse Smoker, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden

No idea if there is 220 volt version for the UK :sad:, but as I noted I absolutely love it.

teeteringhead
7th Apr 2014, 08:56
At the redsnail/checkboard towers, we have the Big Green Egg. Oooh - lucky you reddo!!

I'd love one - but can't quite justify the expenditure just at the moment - but watch this space. ;) 850 sheets (for the size I want) is a step or three too far at the moment. :sad:

redsnail
7th Apr 2014, 09:15
Yep, the big fella cooked some steaks on it last night as well as an assortment of veggies. :ok:

Roadster280
7th Apr 2014, 12:30
Teeters - I don't know what size you're looking for, but the "Large" BGE, 18", is plenty big enough. I know it's smaller than the 22" Weber, but it seems a lot more effective. The whole thing gets hot for starters, not just the area under the fire. Then there are a myriad of racks you can get for it to maximize the space available. Nearly all the accessories (and there are many) are sized for the Large too.

I had various 22" Webers of the years, culminating int he Weber Performer, which was a great piece of kit. But it can't compare with the 18" BGE. Of course the BGE is more expensive, but my point is that unless you have a family of 12, the 18" BGE is sufficient. The Extra Large just wastes coal unless you're cooking for the Mess.

redsnail
7th Apr 2014, 13:12
roadster, yep, ours is the "Large" and can cook enough tucker for 8 hungry folks with lots left over. :ok:

Can't recall a pizza - yet. The bloke does all the cooking on it mainly because there's fire, outdoors and a general air of danger. Actually, he does nearly all the cooking mainly because he's good at it. :ok:

teeteringhead
7th Apr 2014, 13:21
'Tis indeed the Large BGE I aspire to, but that's the one listed at £850! :eek::eek:

I'm sure there are deals to be be had/done, but not this time of year with a good forecast!

Have also seen the "Kamado Joe" which seems very similar to the BGE - but about 250 squid cheaper! (£600 for an 18") Any experiences of that/those??

Roadster280
7th Apr 2014, 14:10
I've heard good things about Primo grills too.

One thing you should be aware of - the purchase price is just the start of it :)

Then there are different grates (the cast iron one is a must to take advantage of the BGE, as is a "plate setter"). You'll need a stand/table thing. I made one, but you can buy them too. Then there's the fuel. You should not use briquettes, just lump wood charcoal.

At the end of it, you'll have spent a fortune. And enjoy fantastic meals for many years. Ribs that have been smoked for 5 hours are absolutely delicious!

redsnail
7th Apr 2014, 14:33
Teeters, message "Checkboard" - he did all the research on the two. :ok:

teeteringhead
7th Apr 2014, 16:22
Thanks reddo - wilco (as we aviators say!) ;)

PM finally sent - late shift last night!

DON T
15th Apr 2014, 20:17
Two weeks ago the Smokey Joe emerged from the shed and would you believe it there is a rust hole where the leg rivet enters the BBQ body.

The BBQ still functions but is wobbly.

I purchased said BBQ at the BX in Rheindahlen in 1988 so I would have expected it to last more than 26 years even though it has been in VERY frequent use. Should I report this failure to Weber?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. I do think the wooden handle on the lid is much better than the new ones. Health and Safety should be informed.

Akrotiri71
16th Apr 2014, 19:25
Just getting fired up.

http://i57.tinypic.com/21mdwkx.jpg

Tools of the trade. 1. Chimney. 2. Wire brush for getting rid of last season's mould. 3. 3mm plywood wafter. 4. Radiator roller, for distributing hot coals. 5. Tumbler of "plonk." (Wine glass too fragile for manly pursuits).

http://i62.tinypic.com/2rdkmiq.jpg

Weber baster w/homemade BBQ sauce.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2lu80le.jpg

Merguez snorkers and yesterday's sirloin doing fine.

http://i59.tinypic.com/outtp0.jpg

Isn't she lovely? NB. No Gas in sight.

http://i57.tinypic.com/21ou976.jpg

Thank you.

langleybaston
17th Apr 2014, 19:40
Sunday is forecast to be a tad moist: I can see me setting light to 16" of quivering pork loin in sou'wester and wellies, with a cast of a dozen rat-arsed hearties watching from indoors ..............

SNAFU

[me in the wellies, not the pig]

BEagle
17th Apr 2014, 20:08
langleybaston wrote: Sunday is forecast to be a tad moist...

Well, with that 3 day forecast from an ex-weather guesser, Sunday will very probably be 'scorchio'.....

Fired up the trusty blackfellow for a quick dinner of skewered lamb meatballs, red and green peppers with salad in pitta bread this evening, with a little yoghourt/mint/onion/shredded lettuce on the side . As good as ever, with a little red wine to quaff whilst the kebabs were cooking....

Now for some strong black coffee and Grand Marnier for that 'almost Cyprus' authenticity!

smujsmith
17th Apr 2014, 20:25
That's the spirit Beagle, and certainly your fare of last evening awakes memories of Halils in St Andrews Street, Limassol in the early 70s. Get em out chaps, and ignore the weathermen, its time for the weber.

cuefaye
17th Apr 2014, 21:26
Given Sunday's forecast (not v difficult Metmen), I'll be Webbering a couple of ribeyes and some WW2 sausages (as spoken of on Radio) from my local butcher in Walmer Bridge.

I've got the kit BEagle, but after years of trying, I'm still unable to brew that continental coffee that is found in all German and French caffs - seems as tho' that is something that can't cross the channel. Brought loads of brands back, but it's never the same. Help

CoffmanStarter
18th Apr 2014, 12:14
Cuefaye ... I also appreciate strong black coffee of the "continental" type ... having experienced the same trials and tribulations as your good self ... I have found the best solution, at reasonable cost, to be the (sounds like Espresso but with an additional N) system and coffee from their Intenso "Grand Crus" Range (a No: 10, 11 or 12).

Just saying ... :ok:

CoffmanStarter
18th Apr 2014, 13:33
Good to see that members of the PPRuNe BBQ Squadron Charcoal Flight are making a few tentative sorties :ok:

Thought I'd give the Beer Can Chicken "method" an air test (see previous posts). Unfortunately I was unable to source BEagle's Antipodean Tipple as recommended by Mr Torode ... but a couple of random American Kidney Wash Buds worked just fine. Sumac is available in the UK and can be sourced from any supermarket beginning with a W, S or even a T!

Excellent results ... good smokey lemon taste with the breast meat moist and tender :ok:

Oz Recipe/Method ...

John Torode's beer can chicken recipe is a classic Australian recipe which is cooked by putting a whole can of beer into the chicken then allowing the beer to evaporate into the meat as it cooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5b72eOKNNQ

Here are two I prepared earlier (last Wednesday evening) ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/2014-04-16170620_zps5c5e5c91.jpg

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/2014-04-16180505_zps3dd76b1f.jpg

I intend to experiment further ... possibly using some decanted Brakspear Oxford Gold :)

All we need now is for Courtney to unpack his Tongs and fire up his new French Behemoth and share a few pics :ok:

Best ...

Coff.

langleybaston
18th Apr 2014, 13:42
I was introduced to the "can up the chicken's arse" method by a son-in-law.

I couldn't help wondering if it hurt [I'd had a few Bods by then].

"Its past caring" quoth he.

But it does seem a gross indignity to inflict on the poor parrot.

Roadster280
18th Apr 2014, 14:10
Coff - what on earth is that thing you've shown in the pictures with the food on it? I can't see any charcoal.

CoffmanStarter
18th Apr 2014, 14:25
I'm not biting Roadster old chap ... embrace "diversity" I say :}

BEagle
18th Apr 2014, 15:13
Roadster, his kitchen doesn't have a roof.....

:rolleyes:

Roadster280
18th Apr 2014, 15:43
Well, it does look veeery similar to one I bought about 8 years ago. It met a rather spectacular death, bursting into flames alles über. I didn't intentionally torch it, it just took an early bath of its own volition, giving me that most welcome opportunity to say "sod that, I'm never having one of those again".

A week later, I was very poor, but very happy coming out of the Big Green Egg shop.

sittingstress
18th Apr 2014, 19:35
Coff,

A WOK!!! A shagging WOK!

That is all

Akrotiri71
18th Apr 2014, 19:56
A wok that has....veggies in it....:eek:

sittingstress
18th Apr 2014, 20:27
Akkers,

The man is nothing short of a disgrace. He posts on here pedalling his "alternative" lifestyle using thinly veiled threats of embrace diversity or suffer the pc tongue lashing.

I am happy to stand up to this, this person who lives so far south he is nearly a Frenchie.

Coff, I expect you are the sort of person who nobs the cheese thinking he is being avant garde and then comments on wine using phrases such as "hint of nutmeg" or "bouquet of roasted salmon gills".

Gas = cult of like minded whiffers who really wish they had been in the first XV at school.

Bill Macgillivray
18th Apr 2014, 20:46
Oh,for heavens sake guys!! "Niazi, more kokkinelli, please!!"

ex-fast-jets
18th Apr 2014, 20:57
Outrageous previous comments.......................

Ignore them..................

The authors clearly have no concept of anything that is of importance......................

Back to your nice piccies.....

I have not tried that way of stuffing a chicken, but I need to learn from your obvious expertise and your understanding of the value of GAS.

I assume you stuff a full can of beer or whatever up the bottom of the uncooked chicken, and put it on the barbie. How long do you allow? Or, given the ultimate flexibility of GAS, do you just see how it goes, and adjust the temperature accordingly?

I feel the need to give it a go!!

smujsmith
18th Apr 2014, 21:01
Coff,

I must say, the chicken/beer method looks very interesting, on a proper Weber, would cooking with the lid in place be a better method ? I must say though, not too sure about that Wok of worms you have on your cooker, was that for a pet ?

CoffmanStarter
18th Apr 2014, 21:30
Evening all ...

SS ... glad to see you are "firing on all four" as usual :ok:

One has a side burner for the onions Smudge old chap :cool:

BomberH ...

The trick is to keep an eye on the T & P's ... I used the far left and far right burners at about 60% with the central burners at idle ... then it took about 45 mins (hood down) to achieve the perfect result. As with everything ... precise temperature control is key. That's a full can of open beer ... otherwise you might experience some distress (or the chicken will) :E

Best ...

Coff.

ex-fast-jets
18th Apr 2014, 22:12
Thank you - I shall give it a go!

langleybaston
19th Apr 2014, 14:51
if you are a Bitter man, Bods cans are a bit big so your chicken needs to be likewise [or a small one with a big arse].

As a fence-sitter par excellence I often use my big red Weber and a gas barbie on the same day .......... the gas one has a good battery-driven rotisserie for example, and excels at impromptu lunch al fresco with negligble flash-to-bang time; the Weber cannot be beaten for adding carcinogens to carcinogenic red and processed [sausage, bacon etc] meat, and is brilliant with trout or salmon.

Tomorrow is not promising for weather, and I will use both .......... the Weber has a good secondary duty, that of warming the chef's b*llocks in the chill NE'ly half gale.

Either way, people, have a great Easter Sunday!

CoffmanStarter
19th Apr 2014, 15:42
Same to you LangleyB :ok:

Roadster280
19th Apr 2014, 18:54
Drink some of the beer, and replace it with lemon wedges and some seasoning. Also season the bird with a rub, inside & out before you insert the can.

Better yet, get a sittin' chicken. (http://www.cookschoice.com/store/sittin-steamers/sittin-chicken-steamer/)

smujsmith
19th Apr 2014, 21:38
Forget the "sittin chicken", Something about Coffs beer up the kazoo offers a really interesting way of cooking a chicken. I'm certainly going to give it a try, I suspect my son and wife will be impressed with my "novel" methods. I apologise in advance for stealing the kudos due to Coff. Weber large kettle, indirect method with lid on should do the job nicely, and thanks again Coff.

Smudge :ok:

CoffmanStarter
20th Apr 2014, 08:48
Smudge ... I claim no originality ... Just wanted to give the "method" a go :ok:

Coff.

PS. Keep watching as I feel the need to respond to SS's banter on the previous page ... something he will appreciate as one of the RAF's "rugged square jawed good looking (his words) Rock God (Rock as in Ape)" :E

sittingstress
20th Apr 2014, 09:03
The "up the bum chicken" method has been tried for several seasons here. The best results I have achieved so far have come from drinking the bier (brown morris dancer's liquids are not allowed) and replacing it with red wine. About a third of a can will do it.

The taste is subtle but the meat is very moist. Agree with Smuj, cook the chook using the indirect method with a closed lid.

LangleyB as you appear to enjoy both sorts of BBQ would you consider yourself bi?

Coff I cannot help how I look!

tdracer
20th Apr 2014, 18:53
I haven't tried the 'up the bum chicken' on the grill - I usually just grill the cut-up chicken. But I've had chicken cooked that way in the oven, a friend of my sister (who's run a restaurant and is a fantastic cook) fixes it that way and it was quite good.
So, ordered a sittin' chicken and I'll be trying it. Perhaps a 'side by side' - fixing one on the sittin' chicken on the grill, and one in the smoker and doing a taste test :E

November4
21st Apr 2014, 20:16
Beer can up the bum chicken....I don't cook chicken any other way now. Even it do that way for the Sunday roast. Use a tray to catch the juices and add the remaining beer to them for a great gravy or jus as it seems to be called nowadays.

Roadster280
22nd Apr 2014, 01:14
The problem with beer can chicken is the beer gets boiling hot (obviously), and the chook on top of it is unstable. When that mofo falls over and the boiling beer spills everywhere, it is a little inconvenient to say the least. Hence the sittin chicken, which is flared at the base, and much more stable.

For those with (charcoal) Webers, for sure you need to use the indirect method. The direct method would be far too hot. With a BGE, there's a ventilated ceramic plate between the coal & the grate, so it works as a smoker at the same time.

I've done dozens of these chickens. We got a new stove about 2 years ago. I don't believe it's seen a chicken. Much cleaner!

Flying Lawyer
22nd Apr 2014, 07:07
I was given a Weber poultry roaster which works well and eliminates the risk of the bird falling over.
The porcelain coated (non stick) base catches the juices so there's no mess and is perfect for gravy/sauces.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m7hwqYDxrqM0vn8iptMKkqg.jpg..........http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/cKXxYw48HP4/mqdefault.jpg

For best results, season the chicken with a rub, inside & out, as Roadster says.
Cajun chicken is delicious.

It also works well for smoked chicken if you have a 22.5" grill.

son of brommers
28th Apr 2014, 10:50
Gas flight managed to produce a rather impressive inaugural chook o'can display at the weekend. It will now be a regular feature of future displays.

If you're after a seminal book (IMHO) on cooking using either form of satans' produce, I highly recomend "Braai the beloved country", available from all good purveyors of rivers. :ok:

CoffmanStarter
28th Apr 2014, 11:32
Well played Brommers :D:D:D:D :ok:

son of brommers
28th Apr 2014, 11:50
Thanks Coff, radiant burners at full throttle for 10 mins, got the cobwebs sorted and the tin foil parcel of hickory smoking nicely. Throttled back to 25%, assaulted chook with can, closed the canopy and had a very easy hour and 5 flight. :ok:

tdracer
28th Apr 2014, 15:01
Stumbled upon this variation of beer butt chicken. For those of you across the pond (or the lake :E ), Famous Dave's is a chain of BBQ restaurants in the US - pretty good BBQ by 'chain restaurant' standards.

Famous Dave's Beer Can Chicken Que Tips - YouTube

Jumping_Jack
29th Apr 2014, 18:41
if you are a Bitter man, Bods cans are a bit big

For God's sake don't use any 'draught flow' can!! The burnt plastic doesn't have nearly the quality aroma that you are looking for!!

orgASMic
30th Apr 2014, 07:06
Good to see that members of the PPRuNe BBQ Squadron Charcoal Flight are making a few tentative sorties

Some of us never stopped, but then we did have a very dry winter. I am really getting the hang of indirect cooking in the Black Orb and can now produce some excellent legs of lamb, beer can chicken and, just this Sunday, a turkey (left in the freezer from Easter as we ended up in a hotel instead of at home. Christmas dinner will never be the same!). Anything that goes in, comes out delicious and is cooked quicker than in the useless bottled-gas cooker in the kitchen (no mains gas on my street). Lots of experimenting going on with different wood chips, herbs, etc and the most outrageously juicy citrus fruits, both in the Orb and on the souvla machine. And I can get real beer here as well these days, though Keo/Leon will still do the trick while waiting for the meat.

langleybaston
30th Apr 2014, 09:41
Portadown Way, JHQ Rheindahlen SOPs were turkey by indirect .............. the mains gas pressure fell at Christmas and the issue ovens were very small and poor and best kept for marching out!

I never saw beer-up-the-bum perpetrated during my total of eight years there. [Well, not on a dead bird, as it were].

sittingstress
4th May 2014, 18:20
Sitting here under my gazebo looking over the south terrace to my barbezebo, quietly enjoying a bier, all I can hear are the birds twittering and the spitting of the fat dripping out of the up the bum chicken in my coal fired Weber.

The long haired general, the blind child and her boyfriend are on the first floor watching tv. I don't care as I am a MAN providing for them.

Gassists...with a change in your lifestyle choice you too could be awash with testosterone and smug self satisfaction.

Coff, obviously you are on the cusp. Leap and you shall fly my son.

CoffmanStarter
4th May 2014, 19:11
Good evening Sittingstress old chap ...

With the Wx looking good for tomorrow ... the beer and wine stocks have been duly replenished today and are now chilling nicely. Visited the local butcher yesterday and plan the following Bank Holiday Monday menu for the Coff family ...

Done this a couple of times and really worth the effort :ok:

BBQ'd Butterflied Lamb courtesy of Mr Jamie Oliver

1 leg of lamb, butterflied and opened up like a book
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
a large bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
a large bunch of fresh mint, chopped
1 x 410gr tin of chickpeas, drained
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 x 500ml tub of natural yoghurt

Score the lamb on both sides. Using either a pestle and mortar or a food processor, grind or whizz up the coriander seeds with the garlic, fresh coriander, mint and half the chickpeas until you have a paste. Season the paste or "marinade" with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then add the lemon juice and yoghurt. Place the flavoured yoghurt in a large plastic bag and add the lamb. Tie the bag up to seal it and turn it around to allow the yoghurt to coat all the lamb. Leave to marinate for 24 hours in the fridge (I've just put it in).

Remove the lamb from the marinade, then place the meat directly on the BBQ rack and then cook the meat to your preference.

I will also be doing the Beer Can Chicken (the versatility of Gas don't you know :E) ... Mrs Coff will be doing some "Green Stuff" to accompany.

If all goes to plan ... pictures will be provided :}

Best ...

Coff.

PS ...

Picture as promised :ok:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/20140505_141558_zps0a20ae83.jpg

The lamb was pink and perfect with the chicken moist and succulent ... If I may say so myself :)

tdracer
4th May 2014, 21:13
Did the beer butt chicken yesterday, using the 'sittin chicken' and a nice pale ale. Did it on the grill, with some apple wood chips to add a bit of smoke flavor and a Cajun dry rub.
It too a bit longer to cook than I expected, but the result was quite tasty and amazingly moist (almost annoyingly so), although I couldn't taste much of the rub (it was so moist I wonder if much of the rub 'sweated off'?).

Not a bad first effort although I'll probably go more aggressive with the dry rub next time - and I'll probably try it in the smoker to see what that produces.

son of brommers
6th May 2014, 11:31
Gas flight has now got to grips with the "smoke on/smoke off" routine and turned out a hickory smoke slow cooked pork shoulder routine on Sunday.
BH Monday was a more demure routine of burgers, chook thighs and mielies.

Coff: another impressive display from Gas Flight :D Either Charcoal flight have coverted to the better bottled stuff and are being quiet or it's still too early in the season for them (in the UK at least);)

Food for thought: Braai is a cooking method, BBQ a flavouring

Roland Pulfrew
6th May 2014, 11:57
Either Charcoal flight have coverted to the better bottled stuff and are being quiet or it's still too early in the season for them (in the UK at least)

Calm yourself young Brommers. I can attest to the fact that at least one correctly fuelled black orb was in use again this weekend at Pulfrew Manor. := However as a traditionalist who would never convert to cooking his food using the breath of Satan's bottom, I have never really understood this fashion for posting pictures of one's supper on social meeja. ;)

I've also yet to receive any logical explanation why gassers think they are any more likely to BBQ in slightly cooler temperatures than those who use the correct fuel. :=

teeteringhead
6th May 2014, 12:24
I have never really understood this fashion for posting pictures of one's supper on social meeja. But Roland, consider how much you would have spent on stamps, sending postcards to all your "friends" telling them what you had for lunch ..... .... oh ... hang on....

And the Teetering Towers black fuelled black orb was functioning over the BH weekend. Only a butter, orange zest and tarragon rubbed chook - but 'twas only for Milady Teeters and oneself........ :ok:

I've also yet to receive any logical explanation why gassers think they are any more likely to BBQ in slightly cooler temperatures than those who use the correct fuel.

I refer the House to my earlier post #1328 with photo of Christmas Turkey!

BEagle
6th May 2014, 14:38
Chickpeas and yoghourt? It'll be sodding tofu next from the gas-faggots...:(

With their obvious interest in matters of the botty, it doesn't surprise me that they're so obsessed with this perverse way of cooking chook. Personally I don't bother with bony bits of chicken aileron PFCU or undercarriage leg and simply go for boobs, suitably annointed.

Lamb kebabs here on Saturday - a few too many hickory chips on the coals though as it went rather India Mike for a while. Some Cyprus-style nose-warmers wrapped around the koftas and peppers, with some token green stuff. Not bad at all.

son of brommers
6th May 2014, 15:32
Beags, hickory chips are the way forward, koftas and peppers always good.
Being of the opinion that a BBQ ain't a BBQ without some form of animal protein, tofu is a step too far. HOWEVER...............................if you so insist:

To grill the tofu, prepare a very hot charcoal fire (it’s ready when you can
hold your hand over the rack for only 2 to 3 seconds) or heat a gas grill to
high

CoffmanStarter
6th May 2014, 19:20
Tofu ... NEVER !

Looks like we might need to start issuing Master Green Cards for use during hickory chip ops in the future :ok:

ex-fast-jets
6th May 2014, 19:49
Nice piccie - your chicken looks very happy and content, and very tasty. Your arrangement of its legs was artistic and worthy of the Tate Modern at the very least!!

But I am concerned by two things.....................

You say you cooked lamb, but your chicken's friend looks like a duck that was unable to escape from the crematorium!! Are you sure it was lamb?????

And secondly, your BBQ looks way too clean for proper gas BBQ cooking and healthy eating. In another 20 years, if you don't clean it too often, you will be amazed by the flavours that are imparted to your food!!

But thanks for the update.

I really must give this beer-up-the-bum cooking a go!!

BEagle
7th May 2014, 05:41
BomberH, ...proper gas BBQ cooking... is an oxymoron.

redsnail
7th May 2014, 14:43
The big fella Checkboard is going to cook some steaks on the BGE. Mmmmmm :ok:

I have directed him to this thread as he is an outstanding cook but he feels he shouldn't post as he's not ex-mil. ;) (Neither am I!)

sittingstress
7th May 2014, 19:27
Tofu ... NEVER !

Protesting too much?

Do you drive a french car?
Have you ever owned a SodaStream?
Does your house have wheels?

All are as socially acceptable as bloody tofu!! :}

Once I have finished policing the Metropolis and I am on my days off I will be firing up the Orb of Muchness and experimenting with a leg of lamb and herbs from my garden. Until then it will be sandwiches (cutlery optional :)).

Roland Pulfrew
7th May 2014, 19:31
Do you drive a french car?
Have you ever owned a SodaStream?
Does your house have wheels?

No; No; No!

There is no excuse for owning a French car nor a shed on wheels!! :eek: Ambivalent about the SodaStream though!

Courtney Mil
7th May 2014, 19:41
This month I'll be mostly driving a Peugeot 308. :ouch::ouch::ouch:

BEagle
7th May 2014, 19:48
1. Do you drive a french car?
2. Have you ever owned a SodaStream?
3. Does your house have wheels

1. Nein! Aber das AMG Teutonic tourer geht gut! Mit 354 bhp...screw you, Al Gore!

2. Yes, but in the 1970s until it died 25 years later. I also have an electric carving knife from that era.

3. Oh purrleeeze. No. But kushti bok to those friendly Romanies I remember from my early life in rural Somerset in the early 1950s!

CoffmanStarter
7th May 2014, 19:51
Apparently the "in thing" amongst all you charcoal fanatics is the use of a Gas Weed Wand to start your heap of black stuff :}

http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/550_large.jpg

I understand that this dispenses with all those petrochemicals you need to ignite your BBQ's giving you a vastly improved "Flash to Bang" time :E

I also understand that when turning off the Gas Weed Wand there is a rather satisfying "thwack" sound similar to a V1 when it ran out of fuel ...

Sittingstress ... I've never owned any of those dubious devices you mention :=

CoffmanStarter
7th May 2014, 20:40
Courtney ...

I think you need something a little more sporty on the transport front now you are living in France :ok:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/image_zpse4b8fbec.jpg

But we'll all know that you are really keeping 43 Squadron alive :)

Akrotiri71
13th May 2014, 16:28
Stop yer lump dropping through the grate.
Two pieces of chicke-wire layed 45〫on top of each other...job done. (Not req'd if using briquettes......or gas).

http://i61.tinypic.com/fabgw8.jpg

CoffmanStarter
13th May 2014, 16:35
Looks like something RAF Fylingdales might strap to their mast ... nice mod :ok:

CoffmanStarter
15th May 2014, 08:41
Gentlemen ... I hope those that can are "grabbing their orbs" or "checking their pressures" as the WX over the next 48 Hrs is looking great here in the UK ... And possibly France ... Wander00 and Courtney no excuses please ... Fire Up chaps :ok:

Wander00
15th May 2014, 10:03
Funny old thing - just assembled my new B&Q (bought from Castorama) CHARCOAL kettle BBQ - will be running this weekend - pork leg or a chicken, not decided yet! (But on Saturday planning to go to Cabane de la Patache at Portes en Re; overlooks the sea, a stunning small bay and the approach to Ars en Re - beautiful place)

Akrotiri71
15th May 2014, 15:13
Just waiting for my Smokey Joe Gold to be delivered.

The 1-Touch 22.5" is a bit big for just me and the Mrs. (But will be primed & on stand-by for entertaining at short notice).

Two fresh monkfish tails I did last night for tea. (Marinaded in olive-oil, rosemary & a shed load of fresh ground black pepper....gorgeous!!).

http://i59.tinypic.com/28qus8i.jpg

Gonna try pulled pork this weekend, utilising the Minion method.

langleybaston
15th May 2014, 15:22
makes you go blind ............

smujsmith
15th May 2014, 19:31
Langley B,

Spot on, pulling pork will always have that effect.

langleybaston
16th May 2014, 23:22
On Sunday my good lady promises pulled pork. What have I done to deserve this? Time was ..................... !
Question: is this a Weber jobby or a gasser? Or both?

CoffmanStarter
17th May 2014, 08:05
LB ... I think you know the answer to that Question :ok:

Akrotiri71
19th May 2014, 15:26
First attempt at doing indirect bbq'd pulled pork at the weekend went quite well.

Started cooking the pork shoulder about 12:30 on a 6hr marathon. By 3pm I was half trousered! Fire/temperature management is very thirsty work!

Quite tricky at first trying to regulate the heat between 225F-250F. But managed to get it down to a tee with the vent settings and the amount of coals required. Bottom prop/vent about a 1/3 open, and the top one about 1/2 open. 7-8 coals required to maintain a constant temperature, and a squirt or three of fresh apple juice.

I had to employ the services of my Smokey Joe & chimney to keep me supplied with fresh coals.

http://i57.tinypic.com/f21t0p.jpg

If I may say, the result was delicious having used my homemade dry-rub.

http://i62.tinypic.com/fz3ng4.jpg

Next week, a big slab of ribs. :)

teeteringhead
20th May 2014, 11:18
Must try the pulled pork on the BBQ. I do a (very very) slow roasted pork shoulder which the family often crave when they return to Teetering Towers.

At present I do it in t'kitchen, as it takes 24 hours (basically 1 hour @ 200 C - for the crackling - followed by 23 @ 100 C) - but even a dedicated chef comme moi won't sit up all night feeding coals to the black orb.

But 6 hours would be manageable .........:ok:

smujsmith
31st May 2014, 22:09
Oh Dear Chaps,

Just when you thought that peace and serenity had come to " My Beautiful Weber" along comes this, from Britains most followed newspaper;)

Charcoal barbecues have met their match with those run on gas topping sales for the first time | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2644417/Charcoal-barbecues-met-match-run-gas-topping-sales-time.html)

Someone please confirm that this is just propaganda paid for by the users of the evil gas machines.

teeteringhead
1st Jun 2014, 08:54
Smudge

Well ....... if it's as accurate as most things in the Mail ........

Slightly surprised their line isn't:

"Illegal Immigrants use of Charcoal drives down House Prices Shock"

CoffmanStarter
1st Jun 2014, 09:13
Now where is that Conspiracy thread :E

Flying Lawyer
1st Jun 2014, 11:09
smujsmithSomeone please confirm that this is just propaganda paid for by the users of the evil gas machines.

Or propaganda paid for by retailers of (more expensive) gas machines?
Despite the misleading headline, the information in the DM article comes from one source: Homebase.

teeteringheadMust try the pulled pork on the BBQ.
Steve Raichlen's recipe for North Carolina Pulled Pork works well.
I've got one of his excellent books but the recipe is readily available on the internet.

Abbey Road
1st Jun 2014, 11:34
Ah, there was me thinking I had seen

"Immigrants use of Immoral Gas Barbecues drives up Charcoal Barbecue Prices Shock"

:ok:

langleybaston
1st Jun 2014, 16:08
A slight digression please:

I bought my super scarlet orb in the PX at JHQ Rheindahlen in c. 1990, and a week later bought a massive Murray Lawnmower, 3 1/2 HP, huge blades, no hover, no motorised forward drive, just huge cutting power.

This morning my very nice but temperamental John Deere decided to oil up the plug, meaning a delay while drying out took place.

BLX says I, into the shed, primed the reserve, 35 little squirts, WHOOF !

and we were away. Maintenance? One plug [ever], an oil change every other year, rinse the filter, and talk to it nicely.

Two fabulous bits of USA kit.

CoffmanStarter
1st Jun 2014, 16:39
Hayter (By Appointment) ... The only acceptable English law mower LB :ok:

OMG ... Now look what you've started LB ... BEagle will no doubt extol the virtues of the charcoal powered Flymo ;)

smujsmith
1st Jun 2014, 21:38
Coff,

What an interesting comment. On the day that mrssmudges flymo finally gave up the ghost. With only a small lawn to cater to, does Hayter do a suitably small machine, so that she can do a better job in the future. It's hard to take grass mowing seriously for me, as an ex engineer, I like to think that when I've fixed a job, that's the end of it.:rolleyes:

salad-dodger
1st Jun 2014, 21:52
Hayter (By Appointment) ... The only acceptable English law mower LB
Really. Paint something British Racing Green and some mug will but it. If you want a good mower, you buy a Honda, end of! Just look at what most gardeners use.

S-D

Courtney Mil
1st Jun 2014, 22:10
Well, guys. I have to say that this summer has put the entire gas vs coal debate in the shadows. The place we're renting for the summer before moving into Chateau Courtney has THE WORST barbeque ever. I have used all sorts of outdoor cooking facilities and some were awful. But nothing compared to this. As some of you may recall, I'm looking forward to a super, built in, mega outdoor grill, cooker, oven. I may have to go and secure an interim facility.

Just for now, I cannot start to tell you how irrelevant the gas/coal debate has become for me. I'll get back into line soon, though.
:sad::bored::(

Roland Pulfrew
2nd Jun 2014, 06:45
Just look at what most gardeners use.

Well as I walk/ride to work through some of the London Parks and Gardens they all seem to use Hayters. Maybe it's something to do with them being remarkably quiet as well as giving a good cut!!

CoffmanStarter
2nd Jun 2014, 07:00
It looks like we might need to Air Drop some BBQ kit to our man in France ... :ok:

CoffmanStarter
2nd Jun 2014, 07:09
Remarkably quiet as well as giving a good cut!!

Spot on :ok:

PS. Smudge ... Have a quick Google old chap otherwise I might get jankers from the mods :ok:

smujsmith
14th Jun 2014, 21:04
Coff,

Mission accomplished, SWMBO now motorised. Back on thread, I'm to treat my family to beer up the rectum chicken tomorrow on the Weber, and I hope that I have taken in all the tips from contributors to this thread. Wish me luck, I will report back.

smujsmith
15th Jun 2014, 19:41
Just to say thanks to all for the "sitting chicken" recipes. Just enjoyed it as the main course of our Barbie. Never had better chicken, I used Budweiser, but might be inclined toward "old speckled hen" next time. Otherwise glorious, thanks again all.

Smudge:ok:ŵ

CoffmanStarter
15th Jun 2014, 20:00
Well played Smudge :ok:

Flying Lawyer
15th Jun 2014, 20:17
Pleased it was a success. :ok:

You might want to try a Cajun rub next time.

Delicious!

smujsmith
15th Jun 2014, 21:39
Coff and Flying Lawyer,

Thanks both, it really was good. So good I'm not sure it needs a Cajun Rub, but will certainly give it a try after trying an "old speckled hen" outing. Ahh, I've just rediscovered the joys of the Weber.

November4
15th Jun 2014, 21:47
Beer can chicken - the only way I cook a chicken now.

DON T
2nd Jul 2014, 18:46
Fired up my new Smokey Joe this evening.

Replaces the previous one which was purchased at the BX in Rheindahlen in 1987. I prefer the wooden handle to the new plastic one.

If this one lasts as long I will be 94 when I require a new one.

Ken Scott
2nd Jul 2014, 20:22
I too had the Weber going this evening, cooked some very tasty Vietnamese chicken skewers - you can't beat (spicy) food cooked over charcoal....

Roadster280
2nd Jul 2014, 20:51
I've got the BGE going this evening, but had to use those poxy briquette things. Can't beat lump wood. Smoked ribs for dinner!

ex-fast-jets
2nd Jul 2014, 21:43
My latest gas Weber is now some 20 years old. It works just fine, but we are about to move house and I had decided that it would not come with us. However, I have just cooked a "final meal" on it and I am now all tearful about assigning it to the Council Tip.

I had considered my next BBQ and had pretty much decided what I wanted.

I do not want to get into a gas/charcoal argument.

But I am intrigued with the BGE which I have never seen, never used, and I have never tasted its offerings.

Without getting into the gas/charcoal debate, can anyone who has experience with gas and the BGE offer an opinion about the merits of both so I can make an informed judgement which way to go when we move.

I have already decided that the gas Weber will travel with us, to give me breathing space to decide where our culinary future lies!!

All sensible help would be appreciated!!

Roadster280
2nd Jul 2014, 22:13
I have a gas Weber (little Q120) and a couple of BGEs. I have also had one of those abominable big stainless 5-burner shrine to futility things in the past.

The BGE is far and away the best grill I have ever owned. If mine broke, and a replacement was twice the price, I would not think twice.

The charcoal taste, ease of use, high searing temps, range of accessories, relative lack of grease (a big one!), ability to use it as a "brick pizza oven", etc all are strong factors in its favor.

For those that like to keep up with the Joneses, there is always another, bigger, better shiny thing with a gas bottle at the back. Yours is great, it cost and arm and a leg, but his is better. Not so with the BGE. There's only one standard. You meet it, or you don't. Not that this matters to me, but it will to some.

My one criticism is that if I just want to cook 2 or 3 bratties, it's a bit wasteful in terms of time and fuel to fire it up for that. So I use the Q120 for that.

BGE all the way.

Roadster280
7th Jul 2014, 01:33
Large plate of humble pie for Mr Roadster please.

Despite the very last post in this thread being by me, and extolling the virtues of BGE-ness and charcoal superiority, I fell by the wayside this weekend.

Mrs Roadster hath decreed that we shall clean the deck and backyard this weekend. On looking inside the Q120, it was utterly minging. Mr 2800psi Pressure Washer was brought to bear, and valiant though he was, he did not get the fooker clean enough. And to be honest, it was a bit **** anyway for a family meal.

So I scoured the land of BBQs and came upon the thing known as "Weber Genesis S-310". Not a 5-burner behemoth, but a 3-burner "small but cute" thing. I'd have had the enameled one, but Mrs R decreed that it shalt be stainless. And lo, it came to pass, and it is standing proud on our newly cleaned deck this fine evening.

It served us well, with cream of grilled asparagus soup, beef/pork/mushroom/bell pepper kebabs and maple glazed corn on the cob. Despite being the first run out, I did not burn nor undercook anything, and I find myself satisfied with this "gas" thing.

I can't help but feel dirty, and think perhaps I should go and sign out some female underwear, heels, lipstick & nail polish to complete the Iscariotism.

But then again, I do have two Big Green Eggs and a ****load of charcoal. So perhaps not just yet.

ex-fast-jets
7th Jul 2014, 20:55
Thanks for the honest response - both of them!

I shall stick with gas for the moment because of its convenience but I shall investigate further the BGE which increasingly sounds appealing. Having both seems the best of both worlds. Too many "boths" but I am tired!!

This side of the pond we usually agree with the decision of SWMBO (that's She Who Must Be Obeyed for our colonial colleagues!!) if only to keep life peaceful and simple!! So I understand fully the clean deck, the stainless steel "cute" Weber Genesis S-310 etc,etc.

IscariotismNice word - I had not heard that before!!

smujsmith
7th Jul 2014, 22:07
Aaahhhh, Charcoal,

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/2a2219583af9a808aa4fa656c9d50b4b_zps5e4cb0c4.jpg

Wander00
8th Jul 2014, 08:08
This is probably a remarkably stupid question, but cannot see the answer earlier up the thread - beer can chicken - open the can before b@ggering the chicken with it, or let it !"pop" naturally from the heat?

CoffmanStarter
8th Jul 2014, 08:19
Wander00 ... Open first old chap :ok:

CoffmanStarter
8th Jul 2014, 08:27
Smudge ... Your pic above is "wrong" on so many levels :}

tdracer
8th Jul 2014, 14:37
Having tried the beer bum chicken a few times, I have a question:
Has anyone noticed any difference relative to what beer was used? My initial thought was to use a 'strong' flavored beer - like an ale or a bitter. But the last time I did it all I had handy was a Bud Light, and I couldn't taste a difference :rolleyes: - it was all delicious :E
I've got some 'hard' apple cider on hand - was thinking maybe the sweet apple would give a nice flavor to the chicken, but on the other hand if I can't taste the difference when it's all said and done, I'm inclined to use a cheap beer and drink the good stuff :ok:

thing
8th Jul 2014, 14:41
I'm inclined to use a cheap beer and drink the good stuff

The old adage 'never cook with a wine that you wouldn't be prepared to drink' comes to mind. Wonder if the same applies to beer?

500N
8th Jul 2014, 14:44
Cheap wine isn't as good as reasonable or average wine but you can't taste the difference between average and excellent wine when cooking.

Not sure about beer but I would say Guinness versus an ale will be different.

tdracer
8th Jul 2014, 15:33
Not sure about beer but I would say Guinness versus an ale will be different.

Well, if using Guinness makes for a better result, it would pretty much disprove the 'never cook with what you wouldn't drink' - I can't stand the stuff :}

Lima Juliet
13th Jul 2014, 19:25
I rolled out a 57cm black orb for the first time in a decade today; normally I am a member of Coff's "Gas Squadron".

It was all very quaint and just as fiddly/tiresome as I remember. It cooked just as well as my gas-powered broiler BBQ but it was a bit like jumping in a hand-swung Piper Cub having flown a Typhoon for years! It was good fun, but will not be a part of the LJ household - long live gas!

LJ :ok:

CoffmanStarter
13th Jul 2014, 19:44
Well played Leon :D:D:D:D

Industrial (Gas) BBQ'ing at Coffman Towers next weekend ... Son's 21st Birthday Bash (plus his Uni mates) :ok:

Task List created starting 09:00 tomorrow morning ... Task 1 ... Collect the ordered Ferkin of Ale from a certain Brewery here in East Sussex ... some sampling may be required around Thursday :}

Wander00
13th Jul 2014, 20:04
Did my first beer up the bum chicken last night - very successful, but would have been more stable in the launch position if I had uses a 440ml can! Also would have been better if gite guest had not been 2 hours late, which caused it to dry out a bit!

ex-fast-jets
13th Jul 2014, 20:08
Uni people.................?????????????

Forget any fancy stuff..............

Sausages.

That's what they will want!!

Think of a number, then double it. And they will all go!!

In fact, triple the number you first thought of, and send any surplus to..................there won't be any surplus!!

Best Regards

BomberH

CoffmanStarter
13th Jul 2014, 20:19
Thanks BomberH ...

Good shout :ok:

I've also "commissioned" some special bespoke Naga Chilli Sausages for the occasion :}

Roland Pulfrew
13th Jul 2014, 20:22
some special bespoke Naga Chilli Sausages

Ooh! Where from? Sounds like something I would like to try!!

CoffmanStarter
13th Jul 2014, 20:47
RP ... Check PM's :ok:

Lima Juliet
13th Jul 2014, 22:15
Naga sausages? You won't need a pull-through after those Roland! :eek:

LJ

tdracer
14th Jul 2014, 01:32
Put a beer butt chicken in the smoker today for four hours, with the 'sittin chicken' full of hard apple cider. Again, the results were delicious, but there was a subtle 'sweet and sour' taste to the chicken apparently from the cider (and the left over cider had a definite vinegary smell to it that it didn't have going in).

So what you put up the chicken's butt can affect the flavor of the finished product, however the affect is pretty subtle.

Roland Pulfrew
14th Jul 2014, 05:55
Coff

Many thanks. Your first supplier is 130k away from me but the second one is much closer. Will see what they can provide when I get a chance to pop across to Oxon.

Rgds

orgASMic
14th Jul 2014, 06:19
The wife threw a decent-sized party (ended up with 35 to feed and water) at the House of O on Friday evening and roped in a couple of her chefs to do the business. Their professional tackle consisted of 2x half oil drum charcoal grills (entire bag of charcoal in the bottom of each half oil drum) for the majority of the meat and a small gas grill for the fiddly bits.

For once relegated to the subs' bench, cooking-wise, I took precautions against inactivity and contented myself with running a makeshift bar with proper hand-pumped ale for my thirsty congregation. :)

And a fine time was had by all. The chefs did a blinding job at the grills and did most the clearing up! :D

Akrotiri71
14th Jul 2014, 09:38
I have done quite a few beer-up-the-chuff chook, & I agree that the taste is subtle when using beer, sometimes not even noticeable.

What I have found, to produce imo better results, is to put water in the beer-can. I mix up some butter, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary & fresh pureed garlic into a paste, then spread it thinly under the skin of the whole chook. The steam from the beer-can keeps the chook nice and moist, and the mixture under the skin permeates the flesh.

Wander00
14th Jul 2014, 09:45
Ak71 - I'll try that - thanks

W

Akrotiri71
14th Jul 2014, 10:02
No probs mate.

This was my last effort. Skin was crispy, and the flesh beautifully moist. The aluminium pan in the bottom has about a 1/4" of water in it to assist with regulating the heat. (And it will also catch any fat that drips down).

http://imgbin.me/image/TVRGWDBO.jpg

sittingstress
14th Jul 2014, 15:36
This is probably a remarkably stupid question, but cannot see the answer earlier up the thread - beer can chicken - open the can before b@ggering the chicken with it, or let it !"pop" naturally from the heat?

Opening the can first as suggested by Coff is the method utilised by his "sort".

REAL chaps stoke the charcoal to furnace like proportions by borrowing an implement known as a hair dryer from a lady (or male if the male is under 25 years old) and directing the jet upwards through the vents of the orb. The bu@@ered chook is popped on top with the can unopened.

It is then the done thing to invite the less popular guests to congregate around the orb to chat and mingle. Ensure you gain the help of one of them to hold the hair dryer. Cleverly excuse yourself and await the inevitable.

The lady of the house will be distinctly unimpressed and you will be banished indoors with your laughing friends to "Keep out of the way and grow up!"

Indoors is where the beer fridge.

Trust me, I was a Gunner :E ;)

Wander00
14th Jul 2014, 16:15
SS- Brilliant - I am still laughing, but then SWMBO is away for the night!

sittingstress
14th Jul 2014, 16:26
Wander, the trick is to let the lady of the house think she is winning.

Earlier this year we went for a drive to "explore" a certain part of Norfolk.

Amazing how we ended up in the old MQs at RAF West Raynham. She was too angry to come and reminisce with me as I leapt the fence and wandered round the old camp.

I was gone quite some time :ok: