PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful Weber!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

BEagle
18th Feb 2010, 17:31
JST - that lamb looks great! Good to see that you don't resort to gas-faggotry either! But what sort of a barbi' driver doesn't have a tinny or a stubby in one hand whilst Weber-ing???

MrB - I hope that the genial old rogue D'rekly was in good form! Hope he's keeping well; do give him my regards next time you're in Foat Wurth.

Howabout
19th Feb 2010, 05:13
Beagle, you are a dead-set champ, but your taste in beer sucks. My eldest just got married and has declared his house a VB-free zone. If you turn up with Vomit Beer, you'll drink it warm because it ain't going in the fridge.

I bought him a Weber. There's a heap of stuff young newly-weds can't afford, so I thought I'd get him an orb as an extra. I hinted beforehand that I might do that. His response was along the lines that gas is for the terminally demented and ballet dancers with tights and crotch pieces.

His intimation to me, when I asked if he'd like a Weber, was 'Provided it's not GAS and provided it's black.' Thank you very much.

It's Friday evening, the temperature is still hovering around 29C, the pool is glistening and the orb is chugging with a lovely slab of lamb. The aroma keeps coming into the house. The gassers just have no idea.

Everyone has some degree of weakness BEagle, and so do you. Quit drinking Sh2t beer and you'd be close to perfect - like me.

L J R
19th Feb 2010, 06:42
VB is the best Beer Full Stop......Don't listen to them...!

..apologies for the free advertising. (and no I don't have Shares in Carlton United Breweries)

Tim Mills
19th Feb 2010, 13:01
Coopers Sparkling any day if out of range of a pint of warmish, flattish real ale bought in a non gastro pub in the old UK! And agree with lamb, also Christmas turkey, chooks, roast pork (with crackling ) on our non gas Weber. But it is red, not black, in spite of which it seems to work OK providing the driver is sufficiently lubricated with Mr Coopers best.

birrddog
19th Feb 2010, 19:02
I just couldn't resist.

This ones for Beagle.

That rib measured 30" across.

http://files.me.com/birrddog/13giet

jindabyne
19th Feb 2010, 20:29
Magnificent - where's the basting fluid?

This week, have new fencing, shed and other tarty garden bits. An early ignition of gas is looming - maybe a slow roasted lamb, courtesy of that electric rotational thingy.

But beware of UK 'Outback' product. On the surface, it appears similar to its Oz brother in appearance: it isn't. Cr*p wood, burners, metal, and grill too close to 'coals' - ie UK tat.

brickhistory
20th Mar 2010, 22:51
Ahhh, the first day of spring lived up to its name:

75 degrees (F), CAVU, rum drink dispensing person in gear, grilled fowl, asparagus, cauliflower, onion.

Thank you, deity.

London Eye
10th Apr 2010, 19:35
The primordial cooking device (well, certainly invented many years BG (before Gas!)) is looking a little tired on close inspection today :( and though a refurb is possible I am inclined to commit retail. I will keep the old girl for the odd indirect-cooking moment and for bigger gatherings that require the extra space, but I think that she deserves a rest from everyday use. The problem is which model to buy. Is the "Gold" model worth the extra moolah, or is the improvement over the "Silver" (which is the model I have had for the last 20 years) so marginal that it is not worth the extra beer chits? The painful bit is that I will probably have to buy in the UK or online!

Any advice gratefully received,

LE

BEagle
10th Apr 2010, 20:08
Funny you should bring this up today - I've literally just been checking over my trusty blackfellow and the area of corrosion around the front leg mount is giving cause for concern....the front leg is now getting rather too wobbly for comfort.

The 'One-Touch Silver' looks fine, but the 'One-Touch Gold' also has that neat ash-collector jobber. 18.5" (47 eurocentimeters) Silver seems to be about £100 (around 3 times what I paid in the USofA about 21 years ago), but I've found a good price for the Gold - must check whether it includes delivery though. What is the 'hinged cooking grate' like - is it any good or is it a solution to a non-existent question.

flipflopman RB199
10th Apr 2010, 22:53
Beags,

Having purchased the aforementioned 'Hinged Grate' to replace the tired and slightly rusty one piece grate on the trusty One Touch Bar-B-Kettle, and having used it for the first time today, I can only sing its praises. I does actually do exactly as it advertises and allowed me to refuel twice, whilst still cooking. An ebay bargain at only £18.99 :ok:

Flipflopman

kluge
12th Apr 2010, 06:00
bunch of Jessies

This is what I'm having built - Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/pompeii_oven.html)

and you can grill in it (doesn't use gas or solid poo)

dctyke
13th Apr 2010, 10:45
It is with great sadness that I announce the demise of my Weber 'NAAFI Star Buy Laarbruch 1977'. After being constantly used year in, year out and three overseas tours it has finally succumbed to the dreaded 'bottom cancer' and lost a leg. NAAFI Star Buy will be buried in Scarborough Municipal Tip (metals skip) this afternoon. I request that mourners send no charcoal but donate to the 'Real Men Against Gas BBQ's Society'

Will be sadly missed.

'We had you longer than the kids and you were a lot less bother'

RIP

BEagle
23rd Apr 2010, 19:26
Well, the wonderful weather of this past week, apart from a trace of Icelandic volcanic ash, has doubtless tempted many of us to bring the Sacred Black Orb out of hibernation.....:ok:

After Ned the groundsman had trimmed the verdant acres around BEagle Towers last night, Old Scrotum (my trusty wrinkled retainer) served the first Pimms' of the year. A pint thereof....:uhoh: This was followed by a ritual firing-up of the trusty blackfellow; on this occasion it had a Germanic flavour as Bratwurst mit Bratkartoffeln were duly prepared. Washed down with Paulaner Hefe-Weißier, naturally.

This weekend looks like an ideal opportunity for Man to practise Fire and Beast once again - at least it does here in British West Oxfordshire.

Happy Weber-ing to one and all!

To keep trolls happy, I saw a VC10 flying today.....:\

Dengue_Dude
23rd Apr 2010, 20:05
The Weber is dead . . . long live the Weber!

After 21 years the corrosion was getting scary - being a boring old fart, I went and bought exactly the same model again last Friday - £80.00 in Argos.

Brilliant . . .

dctyke
23rd Apr 2010, 21:22
Re mail 764, I still have the modern type ash collector in very good condition ( rescued from Incerlik when we bailed out). It will fit in place of the dish type collector so if there is anyone out there east of York wants it give me a pm............... it's free!

stbd beam
29th Apr 2010, 15:18
Well folks, it is with much pride that I present the lovely old gal that prompted this thread four years ago & who comes of age this year - 18 and still going strong. She had a clean up this morning, the patio furniture has been looked out, I'm in shorts & t-shirt (bloody frozen though) and we're ready to burn things that used to have a face & a Momma....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4563421068_e8f474da11.jpg

BBQ on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39974791@N03/4563421068/)

Go on - show us your big shiny one....

bubblesuk
29th Apr 2010, 16:00
Can anyone else see the irony in the multiple fire extinquihers next to the BBQ?:)

Jumping_Jack
29th Apr 2010, 16:50
....look suspiciously like 'service' extinguishers in a civie garage too!! :=

BEagle
29th Apr 2010, 20:24
18? Pah - get some in!

Lots of life left in the old gal yet, I would guess.

Not quite sure why you need quite so many 'first aid fire appliances' - normally a quick sploosh of beer does the trick.....

Ah - but I was forgetting that you're posting from Jockistan! Throwing beer over a conflagration is probably alien to your creed?

bubblesuk
29th Apr 2010, 20:49
Be nice they have only just discoverd fire!:}

Flying Lawyer
29th Apr 2010, 21:28
BEagle

I think the One-Touch Gold is well worth the extra money. The difference in price isn't much when you take into account the many years the Weber will last. I bought a second-hand 18½" Gold on eBay (from someone a few streets away) and liked it so much bought a 22" for our house in Wales.

The Gold's ash-collector is superb - no mess whatsoever, just so easy. The ash-plate on the Silver may be fine - as long as you don't have any wind in British West Oxfordshire. ;)

If you only do quick foods (no low'n'slow and no smoking) then you're unlikely to use the hinged cooking-grate. I do both so find it very useful because you can add charcoal (and wood chips) without removing the grate.

The Baron
29th Apr 2010, 22:19
A question for the experts. How do you get get the skin to turn to crackling when you do a pork rack? Weber owners only please.

BEagle
30th Apr 2010, 06:27
Hi, FL! Thanks for your gen regarding the ash-collector. The 'disc' on my old One-Touch now looks like rather a battered old-style hub cap - fiddling with it and the little spring retainers is indeed something of a PITA!

I would imagine people come from far and wide throughout the Principality to gaze in awe at your 22" 'Wbr brbcw' and mutter "Now, there's posh, isn't it?"

Or perhaps they flee in terror, thinking that a UFO has landed at Tudor Towers?

Can't help with the pork crackling from personal experience, but this site Tips For Perfect Pork Crackling Every Time (http://www.barbecue-smoker-recipes.com/perfect-pork-crackling.html) gives some tips which sound spot on. High indirect heat, scored skin salted prior to cooking is certainly what I'd try.

Gainesy
30th Apr 2010, 08:11
I can do perfect crackling, every time.

But I don't own a Weber.:p

kluge
30th Apr 2010, 08:20
same same here but different :}

brickhistory
1st May 2010, 23:52
Ahhh....

Everything grilled - chicken, veggies.

Drink dispenser attentive.

Able to overlook the yard spent sweating in all day, site located far enough but not too far in the approach - departure today - end of IAD so some jet noise to look up and admire.

Today, I am content.

Dan Winterland
5th May 2010, 04:33
My Cobb last night.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/IMG_3612.jpg

And what's inside?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/IMG_3614.jpg

Recipie:

Season chicken with salt, pepper, tarragon and paprika. Stuff a large folded sprig of fresh lemongrass and a half a lemon up it's bum.

Pour some cheap white wine into the well in the Cobb.

Light.

Put chicken on roasting rack.

Go to the pub.

Come back 90 minutes later, and eat the best roast chicken you've ever tasted!

Kluge - we must to the beach bbq soon. When are you off to the Lion City?

Jumping_Jack
5th May 2010, 14:14
I'm toying with the idea of retiring my faithful Smoky Joe to be replaced by a Cobb...are the Cobbs as good as the PR says?

Dan Winterland
5th May 2010, 15:17
I think so. I had a Smokey Joe but it rusted through at the bottom. The Cobb is different. It's less of a traditional bbq in that it has a cooking plate with just a few holes in it, so it tends to roast a bit more tha broil. But it's a lot more flexible. We have most of the gadgets. the roasting rack, the griddle plate and the frying pan.

It roasts perfectly, does seafood well, bakes, does mst things including fried breakfasts and pizzas. It stays cool on the bottom and can be used on a table top so it's great for Korean style bbqs.

It's also very portable and great for picnics and beach bbqs. If you use the Cobb fuel blocks, it's at cooking temperature in less than 10 minutes.

BEagle
5th May 2010, 17:20
it's great for Korean style bbqs.

Presumably you get the fire up to temp, then throw a piece of meat towards it whilst calling "Catch, Fido!"

Woof, sizzle, whimper....:uhoh:

Ever wondered why there aren't many stray dogs in Korea, Dan?

Flying Lawyer
9th May 2010, 22:57
BEagle

They don't come from far and wide throughout the Principality but I have noticed that neighbours do seem to come round 'just for a chat' when they sniff bbq in the air. :)
Their favourite and mine is North Carolina Pulled Pork (with NC vinegar sauce) http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/phyncke_graphique/Smilies/Yummy.gif.
That's closely followed by smoked turkey (Easter bbq) with beer-can chicken probably next most popular. Now you see why we need a 22" in Wales.

Not a bbq, but a skottel (made in SA by Cadac (http://www.cadac.co.za/index.php)) is an excellent bit of kit.
Breakfast when we were on safari in the Kalahari last year with Rick P-E's brother -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Kalahari18/Bfast109crop.jpg

Jumping Jack
A friend has a Cobb. It's very easy to use but, as Dan points out, it's not a bbq. IMHO it's a good versatile outdoor cooker - provided bbq flavour isn't important to you.

brickhistory
9th May 2010, 23:14
Their favourite and mine is North Carolina Pulled Pork (with NC vinegar sauce)

FL, nice!

This coming Memorial Day weekend, I will journey to North Carolina for a traditional extended family barbeque.

The guest of honor will be a recently dispatched porker slow cooked over oak and hickory wood. The rite of passage into manhood back in the day was being allowed to stay up all night "helping" with the cooking (ok, fetching beer for the real grown-ups), getting treats of cracklin' or pork.

The next day, the meat is taken from the beast, it falls off actually. Course chopping, followed by liberal addition and mixing of the meat with the homemade vinegar sauce.

Not nearly as adventerous as the Kalahari cook-out admittedly, but damn good nonetheless.

Flying Lawyer
9th May 2010, 23:41
Sounds wonderful! I wish I lived closer - I'd try to get an invite. ;)
A porker is way ahead of my experience - I use pork shoulder which I think may be called Boston Butt in America. I haven't yet tried using wood - but I add (soaked) hickory chunks to the hot charcoal which produces that lovely smokey smell and flavour.

I'd be very interested to know what's in your homemade vinegar sauce.
I use cider vinegar, brown sugar, rock salt, red pepper flakes and ground black pepper. I added a little mustard today as an experiment and we liked it. I've heard people in Eastern NC add mustard, and ketchup in Western NC. Is that true?

brickhistory
9th May 2010, 23:46
Can't speak to the western abomination.

The extended family is in eastern NC. Alas, the recipe is theirs, I'm only free grunt labor, but the reward is worth it. Your ingredients sound pretty close.

Didn't see beer in there though.

I'm pretty sure that's a requirement as well.

Jumping_Jack
10th May 2010, 10:44
Hmmmm....I found the 'Pulled Pork' NC style a bit disappointing....may have been a duff batch* but the vinegar just over powered the flavour of the meat....give me slow cooked pork with just a little marinade any time (is that more of a Texas style bbq?).

* Had it at the Strawberry Fair just south of Virginia Beach....so southern Virginian rather than North Carolina I accept!

BEagle
10th May 2010, 10:58
FL, that Yarpie device looks suspicious - is that a gas cylinder or two I see...:eek:

Next time I fire up the noble orb, I'm going to try chook boobs marinaded in 'Reggae Reggae' sauce - supposedly very good, err, coooooooool, man!

brick, that slow cooked porker sounds delicious!

L J R
10th May 2010, 11:12
Hello Lawyer.

The reason that the BBQ picture (loose interpretation only for the conversation) is a FAIL is outlined below:

1. Not a Webber
2 GAS (need I say more!)
3 No Beer in sight
4 No male mates offering advice
5 Women being too close
6 Woman seemingly overly interested
7 Beer cooler empty (of beer)

...Hope the scenery was worth the visit to wherever it was performed...:cool:..

forget
10th May 2010, 11:22
Popped into North Carolina once. My only memory is of everything tasting of vinegar --- and something green called collards. :confused:

brickhistory
10th May 2010, 13:28
My only memory is of everything tasting of vinegar --- and something green called collards.

The penny didn't drop on this?

Gainesy
10th May 2010, 16:33
Er, Pickled Collards?:confused:

Flying Lawyer
10th May 2010, 21:39
LJR
1. Not a Webber - Nor even a Weber. ;)
2. GAS (need I say more!) - Embarrassing I admit, but only for a breakfast pit-stop. A leisurely braii (wood) every night.
3. No Beer in sight – Breakfast, and lots of driving to do before sundown.
4. No male mates offering advice - I stopped while taking the pic.
5. Women being too close - But not allowed to touch or 'advise'.
6. Woman seemingly overly interested - Only seemingly, no interest in cooked breakfast. (Not healthy apparently. :rolleyes:)
7. Beer cooler empty (of beer) - Beer coolers in the car ready for the evening. :)

forget
I agree too much vinegar sauce can overpower the meat. Properly prepared (a tasty rub, left for 8 hrs min) and then cooked using hickory wood to smoke, pulled pork is just as good with only a little sauce or even none - although I doubt if they'd agree with that in NC. :eek:

kluge
11th May 2010, 13:25
@Dan Winterland - leave June/July. Currently in the land of the rising sun and rain and then Bang-a-Lulu next week. So no BBQ'd cow for me there either :mad:

Looking fwd to the beach bash and especially a sail on your new racer :ok:

New place has a communal BBQ thing and is near a hobie/laser club.The BBQ pit isn't gas powered so I guess I'll have to get into the habit of scraping my knuckles and growing back hair so I can fit in. Hope they don't drink those S..Sling things though. Tiger's more my tipple.

METAR: WSSS 111300Z 22001KT 9999 FEW018 BKN280 28/26 Q1006 NOSIG

Dan Winterland
11th May 2010, 15:27
Typical Singapore weather. No wind!

Not great for sailing - and your bbq smoke won't disperse, But at least the air will be clear to start with!

Will call regarding a bbq/sail date. Enjoy Bengalaru.

BEagle
11th May 2010, 16:42
You should be looking at what's outside my hotel window right now if you want some wind:

The current TAF:

111550Z 1116/1212 23010KT 7000 BKN020CB TEMPO 1116/1117 26025G45KT 2000 TSRAGR BKN006CB TEMPO 1117/1118 4000 TSRA BKN012CB BECMG 1118/1120 RA BKN012 BECMG 1120/1122 NSW BKN020 BECMG 1202/1204 30005KT RA BKN012 TEMPO 1204/1207 4000 BKN004 BECMG 1207/1209 NSW BKN020

:hmm:

And the latest actual:

111620Z 24019G36KT 110V240 9999 TSRA SCT050 BKN080 19/09 Q1001

The lake has gone from almost flat calm to sea state LOTS in about 3 minutes flat!

sittingstress
12th May 2010, 08:44
I stopped being a Rock a couple of years ago and joined the ranks of the pointy helmeted upholders of the law. Recently at a meal out with work collegues, and in between courses of Krispy Kreme, kebab "meat" and fried chicken wings I suggested a BBQ at my place on a rest day.

I have somewhat of a reputation for looking after my guests in the food and beverage department and expected the idea to be a bit of a goer. Imagine my utter amazement when the following responses to my invitation where given:

a. I'm not too keen on BBQ food
b. Why not just go out for an indian?
c. Have you got 2 grills as I'm a vegetarian
d. You've got a Wii to play on haven't you?

For the few who did express an interest I decided to explore their sexuality by posing the gas v proper fuel question. Answers:

a. Charcoal is too smoky and makes my hair smell (from a male)
b. Charcoal is too much bother to get rid of
c. Gas is better, it is quicker and you don't get a smoky flavour on the food
d. Gas, as charcoal smoke might upset the neighbours

The only person who unreservedly answered "Yes I will be there and bring beer" and "GAS? which poof said that?" is an ex Irish Guardsman and is therefore not allowed in the house.

I am truly at a loss.

Suggestions please.

Typhoons in the overhead now

L J R
12th May 2010, 08:47
Suggestions please.

.....Change your mates.

sittingstress
12th May 2010, 08:53
I referred to them as colleagues for a reason.

BEagle
12th May 2010, 10:27
1. Tell the veggies that they can eat some of the hickory wood chips if they like. Or perhaps some halloumi.
2. Invite only non-gassing, meat-eating blokes - and some fit lady piglettes to hand out the beers.

And yes, there most certainly are some very fit lady police officers. One 'Yakkity' who used to PPRuNe looks absolutely gorgeous in her police uniform. I think she's a sergeant now and her blokes would follow her anywhere!

forget
12th May 2010, 10:31
Suggestions please.

Re-open the guest list and stick it on here.

rusty_monkey
12th May 2010, 11:56
any of you passing through the eastern med I have upgraded my kettle weber for a somewhat larger version curtesy of an american friend so for reasonable offers and providing you have your own timmy or herc you can collect. just pop into the air movs office the advert is in control.

Also does anyone own a charcoal kiln as the new beast needs a small forest to get going!

kluge
12th May 2010, 14:17
rusty_monkey - kindly refer post 763

This is a kiln and hence you can make your own charcoal in it and not have to put up with that freeze dried and flavoured excrement sold to the Piltdown club as briquettes.

So if you're somewhere sane like godzone then you'll be in heaven as it were. Fine City on the other hand :(

fit lady police officers the ones I've seen have buffalo butts.

Hopefully someone will post pics to prove this statement wrong :E

Geezers of Nazareth
17th May 2010, 19:28
The 'Live' magazine/supplement in the Mail on Sunday (16th May) had a review of various barbies. Not a scientific review by any measure, but it does provide some comparisons.

Out of 15 models listed/reviewed, only two acheived a 5-star rating ...
one was a 'Swiss Grill' costing £1300 from Harrods (!:ooh:) - but it's gas-powered, so doesn't really count; and the other was the Weber Compact Kettle costing £100 from Lakeland.

Roland Pulfrew
17th May 2010, 19:49
Good to see Weber BBQs doing well on tonight's Gadget Show with a Weber coming out top in their test of 25 BBQs. Unfortunately it was a, ahem, gas powered Weber!!

Jumping_Jack
18th May 2010, 07:51
....and it was £2300!!!!!!!!

BEagle
26th Jun 2010, 09:45
EGVN 260850Z 16004KT CAVOK 22/13 Q1017 NOSIG

EGVN 260712Z 2609/2709 13005KT 9999 FEW045

Looks like it's time to fire up the faithful blackfellow again! But I'm Bingo1 on VB...:eek:

(That should annoy 'crumblywhitemuttpoo' or whatever the miserable git's nom de PPRuNe is...)

cornish-stormrider
26th Jun 2010, 12:34
I am sad to admit after five years faithful service as a steak and swordfish cooking device and also spending its spare time as a blast furnace my beloved Oil Drum is failing.

I am either going to have to steal another drum or else I'm actually going to have to spend money.....

Also Beags, what is this VB wuftywuss drink you are prattling on about??

Gas is for American cars and Pussies (unless its LPG in which case it goes in V8 land rovers)

SOSL
18th Oct 2010, 16:20
Bought it in Cyprus - too ashamed to use it - continued using charcoal in a big tin. Got it home, used it once, got divorced - still trying to get custody.

SOS

Roadster280
18th Oct 2010, 16:23
Life's too short to worry about stuff like that. Wish her well with it, and buy yourself another one. Make sure you get a better model, and smile to yourself every time you use it.

Not that I have any experience in this matter....:E :ouch:

Beer can chicken last week, flank steak yesterday. :ok:

SOSL
18th Oct 2010, 16:42
You're so right. I'll stick to charcoal in a big tin and enjoy the caveman feeling.

SOS

dctyke
18th Oct 2010, 17:51
I tried a few months ago but got no takers, as this thread is back at the top I'll have another go:

Does anyone want the later type weber ash bin (the one that replace's the alloy dish between the legs) I have one in v good condition and it's FREE! I'm in the Leconfield or York area.

BEagle
18th Oct 2010, 17:55
Seasons of mist and mellow...and all that - one's trusty (and increasingly rusty) blackfellow is keeping the mower company in the garage until spring doth once more warm the parts.... Hey ho - where did summer go?

As an Ozmate once said "English summer - isn't that an oxymoron?"

Anyway, I hope the kipper fleet mates will still have an opportunity to go a-route stealing somewhere in the world after whatever cuts come tomorrow - the legacy of Trust-me-Tone and Incapability Brown....:mad:

Jumping_Jack
19th Oct 2010, 10:31
Just had to wake up the Weber from hibernation while we wait for Medieval Housing Solutions to get their act together and fix our cooker (2 weeks and counting so far). Beer Butt Chicken still tastes good in Autumn and the Weber helps keep me warm as I cook!!

BEagle
8th Apr 2011, 21:57
Well, here we are in the UK's barbi' season again, it seems!

But, sadly, what a lot of changes since the last post on this thread....:{

No more Harriers or Nimrod MRs, pilot training slashed, navigator training canned completely, dozens of WSOps out of a job....

...and yet there's a North African ar$e-kicking party in full swing?

Not much to smile about in Aunty Betty's Flying Club these days, so a few hours of practical survival training involving the Sacred Black Orb, bits of raw beast and beer a-plenty might perhaps at least dull the misery.

A question. When was the last time that someone was able to bring a Weber back from 'tother side of the pond in the back of their jet?

Charlie Luncher
8th Apr 2011, 22:26
We still have some frames in the colonies and it is always the right weather somewhere on the big rock. Still fill up the back of our chunky chariot regularly with all sorts, but alas she not a jet and it does get rather bumpy in the clouds:yuk:.
But Beags VB (very bogan) really old fella, try a little hahn premium or a jimmy boags, the beast is warming up for a Mc Charlie breakkie:ok:
Charlie sends

Siggie
8th Apr 2011, 23:00
Charlie,

watch those eyebrows

Rigga
9th Apr 2011, 20:29
Used mine for the first time this year today - still retains a Goch BX price sticker on the legs.

Tankertrashnav
9th Apr 2011, 21:04
Welcome back My Beautiful Weber! I have always found this a most useful thread. Whenever one's remarks on other threads in this forum provoke the comment that they have little to do with military aviation, I always cite the continuing existence of MBW as proof that the ROE are meant to be bent, as even the various ways of cremating food are permitted as a topic.

I should state that I have never at any time cooked a meal on barbeque, not have I any intention of ever so doing, but I defend to the death your right to do so, and to discuss it ad nauseam if that's what pleases you.

Good luck MBW - see you next year :ok:

Just This Once...
10th Apr 2011, 05:29
Ahh the beautiful Weber; 22 inches of black glory. She's 16 years old now with a couple of minor dints on the rim and a little rusty in parts but she can still cook a very fine meal. Minor session on Friday for the first BBQ of the year, followed by a full-thrash event on Saturday.

The Weber herself has been rewarded with a new rack (I like the 'new' flip-up sides) a good clean, screws tightened and some spray polish for that mirror-black look.

Roland Pulfrew
10th Apr 2011, 08:22
A question. When was the last time that someone was able to bring a Weber back from 'tother side of the pond in the back of their jet?

BEags. In answer to your question, for me just over 2 years ago in one of the aircraft you mention as having left service :( (although it wasn't from 'tother side of the Pond, unless you count it arriving at the Sig BX from 'tother side before I procured it). A nice new One Touch to replace my then 22 year old one lost to me when Mrs RP and I split. I was just looking at the replacement yesterday whilst cutting the grass and thinking it might be time to fire it up. Today's local TAF 230/08 9999 FEW030. Maybe the One Touch would be excessive when cooking for one, but the Smokey Joe .......

BEagle
10th Apr 2011, 08:57
Well, Roly, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm on my way to ARSAG, I'd be getting the trusty blackfellow out of hibernation today.....

....and might even have got around to cutting the grass..:bored:

Since the quantity of sharkhole needed increases (I think) with the cube of the radius, I opted for an 18.5" as it's fine for one or two people. Put the lid on and shut off all the vents after use and you can use some of the coals the next time!

Hope you'll be getting a new job somewhere soon?

Dan Winterland
10th Apr 2011, 09:40
100900Z 24010KT 9999 FEW025 27/18 Q1015 NOSIG

Doesn't get much nicer than that here. The Cobb's fired up and ready to start cooking, but not for the first time this year. Have even got some ''squeeky cheese'' to put on it.

BEagle
10th Apr 2011, 09:48
Have even got some ''squeeky cheese'' to put on it.

Ah - those were the days! "Who halloumi, who liver??"

I wonder what the Akrotiri kebab houses are making of SDSR....:uhoh:

Just This Once...
10th Apr 2011, 10:15
I wonder what the Akrotiri kebab houses are making of SDSR....

With 200+ extra people from Waddington alone working their way through the extensive 'full kebab or half kebab' menu the kebab houses are responding to the 'post-SDSR universe' rather quicker than the British government.

Roadster280
10th Apr 2011, 17:14
I recently gave away my Weber Performer, which was a bit of a wrench, but I needed the floor space on my deck for...

...two Big Green Eggs. There are far and away the best grill I've ever used. No gas, no briquettes, just plain old lump charcoal. They use sod all fuel, and produce wonderfully juicy meats, nicely cooked. Certainly not cheap, but then when has quality ever been?

Slowly smoked roast beef for dinner!

Rigga
10th Apr 2011, 20:02
Two trees that didnt make it through the long winter felled, logged, shredded and or mulched and spread over forest vista of Northern patio.
Webber fired up for 2nd time this weekend and wine/guiness served as appropriate.
Due to the coolness of Dusk, previous logs used for chimnea.
Good end to a productive weekend, but...

...only 40 trees left for next winter!

kluge
11th Apr 2011, 02:58
'10,000 years and no one's improved on the idea of meat on a stick!' :ok:

Henry09
28th May 2011, 15:17
This appears (to me) to be an excellent article on cooking the perfect steak. My mouth is watering all ready.

How to Grill Great Steakhouse Steaks - KitchenDaily (http://www.kitchendaily.com/2011/05/25/how-to-grill-great-steakhouse-steaks/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing8%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk1%7C66695)

jindabyne
28th May 2011, 15:45
I hate to say this, especially to BEagle, but I've just flogged my Outback and purchased a 47cm one-touch Weber - avec coals lighter. Very nervous - have I done the right thing I ask myself? :confused:

Henry09
28th May 2011, 15:50
Jindabyne

100% yes! A pain in the ass to clean, takes longer to light and go, but the flavour is just worth it every time.

BEagle
28th May 2011, 17:11
Glad to hear that you've realised the errors of your previous ways, Jinda'; welcome back to the straight world!

Hopefully the weather will be good enough for the ritual burn-in and sacrificial offering of a few pieces of slaughtered animal soon!

Still quaffing VB?

Henry09
28th May 2011, 18:34
Roadster

You've had your 'Big Green Eggs' for a month now, are they really as good as I am reading? What size and how much are they. There is no price information on the BGE website.

Charlie Luncher
28th May 2011, 22:45
Henry
"A pain in the ass to clean"
Real men don't clean you just go thermonuclear to sterilise, unless your boyfriend cleans it thus the pain:sad::=:E.
I'll get me coat:D
Roast Beef for lunch on the beast washed down with a Coonawarra Cab Sav.
Charlie sends
from a chilly colony

galaxy flyer
28th May 2011, 22:52
Henry09

I've had a BGE for over a decade, no better grill, period. Company is also good to deal with as a customer. About $550 US for the large--18 1/2 inches.

GF

jindabyne
29th May 2011, 17:57
BEagle & Henry,

Haven't had any of the Victoria nectar for a year or so, but I'll be washing down my inaugaral Weber feast with the stuff, along with some sort of Oz Merlot or Cab Sav - hopefully this next weekend :ok:

BEagle
29th May 2011, 18:15
Unfortunately VB is now 4.6% ABV, rather than 4.9%.....

But it's still great on a hot day with whatever you've cremated on the coals!

jindabyne
13th Jun 2011, 14:45
DCO last Saturday! Decision to give away my crappy Outback for ten quid well-vindicated. The results of my neat little one-touch 47cm kettle, along with that coal igniting thingy, were excellent - and my Canadian device for hanging drumsticks, roasting sausages and vegetables fitted a treat. Previous Ways very happily forsaken.

Not overly impressed with the VB this time though - have to admit to reverting to Boddies, followed up with. Lindeman Cab Sav. This weekend promises a roast sheep.

Roadster280
13th Jun 2011, 14:57
Henry, my apologies, I didn't see the request for BGE feedback until just now.

However, to concur with Galaxy Flyer, they're outstanding. I have two "larges", which is actually the same size as the "smaller" Weber kettle at 18".

I worried it would be too small, hence I bought two. I needn't have bothered on that score, it's big enough. However, it is useful to have two of them so one can be smoking ribs all day long, the other for hotter temps.

Having been a BBQ fan for the last 25 years or so, I didn't worry too much about the cost, I knew what I wanted. I paid quite a bit more than Galaxy Flyer, about $750 each. Worth every penny.

My family now slathers at the mouth when I come home with a rack of ribs ready to cook the next day.

Beer-brined and butted chicken is rather excellent too.

The amazing thing is that it uses sod all fuel, and leaves very little ash.

The one thing I've struggled to master yet is steak, that either gets too charred outside or is under done inside. I'll keep persevering to get the right temp.

The family's eaten like royalty since I got these things!

Aeronut
18th Jun 2011, 16:46
Weber related but anticipating accusations over the questionable virility of this propane proposition.......

Has anyone ever imported a gas grill from the U.S?
I'm wondering if the gas attachment for the propane tank is the same in the UK, or possibly easily modified? (What could go wrong with that?!)

I'm liking those very expensive Weber grills, like this:

Summit® E-470 (http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/summit-series/summit-e-470)

Peter Carter
18th Jun 2011, 18:35
We brought back our gas grill from my USAF tour; had to chop the hose off and use a UK Calor cylinder and regulator. But that was over 20 years ago! Now the proud owner of a Weber Q300 - best grill we've ever had.
PC

ex-fast-jets
19th Jun 2011, 07:10
The connector for a US Spec gas grill is identical to the UK Calorgas propane bottle. The Orange one. No need to chop pipes - and propane works better at low UK winter temperatures that Butane.

BEagle
19th Jun 2011, 07:29
Enough of this wretched gas faggotry!

Charcoal, the true fuel of the black orb, does not suffer from such nonsense as pipes and connectors - and is universally compatible.

Now all we need is some weather to fire it up!

kluge
19th Jun 2011, 08:29
Sounds like a case of scraped knuckles.

Gas - the pragmatic ALL WEATHER fuel.

You know it makes sense :ok:

AdLib
19th Jun 2011, 09:42
PRAGMATIC!

You'll be coming out with obscenities like 'Risk Assessment', 'Health and Safety' and 'Data Protection Act' next. Let's not get confused between 'BBQ' and that unique British experience, 'British BBQ'.

From Encyclopedia Britannica (probably): British BBQ (arch). Requirements: One dead-carbon-based-lifeform-powered black orb ((c) Beagle 2011), a light drizzle/heavy downpour and a group of friends/taunters watching the wretched process from the safety of the back door with a hop based beverage.

Remember - all problems are soluble in alcohol. Now let's have no more defeatist (aka gas faggot) talk.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thewolverineblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/keep-calm-and-carry-on.png&imgrefurl=http://www.thewolverineblog.com/2010/09/20/keep-calm-and-carry-on/&h=600&w=426&sz=38&tbnid=uh7g1PXCq6IFqM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=96&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dremain%2Bcalm%2Band%2Bcarry%2Bon%26tbm%3Disch%2 6tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=remain+calm+and+carry+on&hl=en&usg=__WcYPOewZ9mqAgKKYviCx9QU5SaM=&sa=X&ei=xcL9TfOeGMaY8QO-9cSqCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHIQ9QEwCw

BEagle
19th Jun 2011, 09:57
Those of you who were at ARSAG 2011 will recall a tale told by an OzAF Gp Capt. He'd been over in the UK and his hosts had held a barbi' in his honour. As he stood around shivering in shirt and pullover with the wind battering at the flames, his hostess remarked, whilst persuading a languid snorker to cook, "I suppose you have quite a few barbecues in Australia".

He replied that indeed they did..."Except that in Oz, we normally stand around in T-shirts and thongs", he added.

There was a somewhat astonished silence.....until he explained that 'thongs' are worn on the feet in Australia - we call them 'flip flops'.

A mental image of a group of stubby-clutching hairy-arsed Ozmates wearing footy singlets and the other type of thong is too awful to contemplate!

Aeronut
19th Jun 2011, 14:20
Gas - the pragmatic ALL WEATHER fuel

He's right. The reality is that with a gas grill you will simply BBQ more.

Probably 10 x more than with a swarthy spherical crematorium which admittedly appeals to cave man instinct, yet when it comes to results is too variable.

Using a cast iron smoke box in a gas grill with soaked mesquite chips and getting good wide caramelised grill lines (not possible from those skinny wires in the swarthy globe) and the 'only' difference is better taste and control of cooking.

I know it's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase, but it has to be about the food at the end of the day. Which is why I have added a triumvate of Dutch Ovens (aka cowboy cookers) to the ensemble. Imagine your guest's delight when your serve fresh bread or cinammon rolls for dessert.

kluge
20th Jun 2011, 03:52
You'll be coming out with obscenities like 'Risk Assessment', 'Health and Safety' and 'Data Protection Act' next

God forbid. But here is what pragmatic means in the context of the debate -

prag·mat·ic/pragˈmatik/Adjective
1. Dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.

Now then Dutch Ovens - isn't that when you pull the duvet (doona for the Aussie thong wearers) over memsahib's head after farting in bed? :E - guarenteed to cause fireworks :ouch:

But Cinnamon rolls do sound a bit err - foo foo :suspect:

BEagle
20th Jun 2011, 06:07
It's only a small step from cinnamon rolls to fairy cakes....

...appropriate enough for those who insist on using the fuel from Satan's backside!

Charlie Luncher
20th Jun 2011, 07:04
Did someone mention Cinnabons? Sugar, Lard and extra sugar in the chocolate sauce at least two major food groups.:E:ok:
Charlie sends

birrddog
25th Aug 2011, 15:13
BEagle, nice cameo as the England supporter :E

ET2ZGLliuuQ

Helol
25th Aug 2011, 16:06
My other half makes charcoal from scratch.

Living in woodland, this is easy peasy, and the aroma from the BBQ is fantastic. None of this briquette/gas/throw petrol on the BBQ nonsense.

If you have the chance, make your own charcoal - there's no going back.

L J R
25th Aug 2011, 20:46
...But the charcoal cannot be sourced from last weeks burnt sausages, and discovered in the old pile of last weeks embers/dust/powder at the bottom of the device.

...an Beags, I always shower on Det with my thongs on...

jindabyne
25th Aug 2011, 21:21
When in Oz, I did most things with my thongs on-----:)

BEagle
26th Aug 2011, 07:37
Good video, birddog!

I've just looked outside at the forlorn-looking black orb sitting there with the rain piddling down over it....:( Hopefully it'll get some use before I have to put the faithful old blackfellow into hibernation.

'English summer'? That's an oxymoron!

jamesdevice
28th Aug 2011, 01:24
the only environmentally friendly fuel for a barbecue is dried cow pat.

birrddog
28th Aug 2011, 01:26
BEagle, any serious Braaier accepts no such thing as hibernation.

A committed Braaier will Braai year round, rain sleet or snow.

(Admittedly it can be less motivating in the winter, though in England the winter weather is the same as summer)

fincastle84
29th Aug 2011, 06:53
I've just invested in a cast iron griddle for my trusty Genesis Silver. Having performed the Weber recommended blackening & sealing ritual using 1/2 lb of suet, I'm now producing my finest ever steaks. The heat that the griddle generates is truly remarkable.

I've also invested in a new brolly for protection from the liquid sunshine!

Aeronut
30th Nov 2011, 09:16
If you ever BBQ you simply must have a day here;

Weber Grill Academy, Oxfordshire (http://www.grillacademy.co.uk/)

I just attended Thrill of the Grill Part 2.

I'm betting even Beagle would learn something and be impressed.

They feed and 'water' you, very, very well.

Rossian
30th Nov 2011, 15:48
....how much did it cost?

The Ancient Mariner

muttywhitedog
30th Nov 2011, 22:16
FFS - Not this one again....Even Burke & Hare wouldnt have managed this many exhumations!

I'm off to find a few older and more pointless threads to bump....

kluge
1st Dec 2011, 01:02
Up the close and down the stair,
No one is safe from Burke and Hare.
Burke’s the butcher, Hare’s the thief,
Knox, the one who buys the beef.

Wonder if Knox used gas or charcoal? :hmm:

ex-fast-jets
1st Dec 2011, 16:06
I use gas and charcoal on my quite old Weber. It's fire-engine red!!

The gas quickly and effectively heats the charcoal from many years of delicious bbq'ing which has accumulated on, under and around the grid, and all around the base/side/lid. The wood smoke box is still working, and might even have some rust under the well-established coating of blackness. But it is hanging in there!

Probably would not pass a H&S inspection, and its offerings would almost certainly be restricted for public consumption. But I'm not dead yet, and it does still do a great job - all year.

Even did the Xmas turkey on it one year!!

langleybaston
2nd Dec 2011, 15:56
Portadown Way, JHQ Rheindahlen was mostly RAF, attached civilians [me] and a few carefully selected army, who were to a degree house-trained.
The woods in the middle of Portadown had a clearing, with brake parachute canopies.
The Season began with a Maypole dance: usually p*ssing wet, danced in yellows and wellies.
From then on, every Wednesday eveing was enlivened by the unstable trundling of a dozen Webers [the secret, as any fule kno, is to remove the lid]. Those in a bit of a hurry cadged space on a biggy used by a couple.
Later on, whole eggs were consumed [a certain Group Captain Eng's fault].
All-day affairs occurred on German PH's, none of which I seem to recall in totality.
A halt was called late September when Safari Suppers took over.
Christmas Eve was the BIG Weber day. In the garages if inclement, massive bonfire etc. Station Fire Engine brought Father Christmas along.
Later, much later, Midnight Mass at St. Boniface. As I was at times Churchwarden, I had the task of evicting drunks [the very obvious ones you understand] from the upstairs gallery.
Next day, everyone cooked their turkey on the Weber because
a. it tasted better and b. gas pressure fell dramatically on the patch.

Fast forward: we still have it, use it, and it will be doing the turkey as ever on the 25th.

Happy Christmas

Roadster280
2nd Dec 2011, 16:03
I find it odd that a civilian enjoying the British Forces Germany tax-free benefits would have the rudeness to insult service members.

Still, as long as you enjoy your Weber, eh?

langleybaston
2nd Dec 2011, 16:25
Do lighten up there!

Insults?

By 'house-trained' I compare them with several of their fellows at JHQ who, variously, allowed a pony [it might have been a horse] in the lounge on occasion, another who, when frying a meal managed to set the walls of the kitchen alight [ALL THE WALLS] so encrusted with fat were they, and the officers and gentlemen who ruined what was the RAF Mess when it became "Churchill" by stealing Oktoberfest steins [purchased by mess-members individually, beer for the use of] and walking on tables [and worse] at Oktoberfest, and allowing their under-age brats to make the gents so impossible that locally-engaged civilian cleaners walked out.

Yes, the Portadowners were a cut above.

But then I was only a bloody civilian.

BEagle
1st Apr 2012, 15:26
Well, there's not a cloud in the sky today here in British West Oxfordshire; it might only be +12ºC, but 'tis time to rouse the trusty old blackfellow from his winter sojourn at the back of the garage....

Unfortunately the trusty old thing has become something of a rusty old thing after 23 seasons of charcoaling. The front leg is now decidedly wobbly and daylight can be seen through the bottom of the bowl; rust also tends to jam the 3-bladed cleaning system thing. Which means air will get in and the charcoal will continue to burn even after the vents are closed. I fear that the time has come to pension the old chap off and to find a more youthful model with which to replace him.

Which will undoubtedly be another Weber 18.5" (or 47cm in Roman Catholic)sacred black orb. But is the One-Touch Premium with ash-catching jobber worth the £30 extra cost compared to the hubcap and spring clips of the One-Touch Original?

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
1st Apr 2012, 15:33
On following this thread I purchased the slightly larger one, Beags with the wee ash catching tin underneath: can recommend it highly, makes clearing the ash out a doddle. Mine is the Premium 57.

nice castle
1st Apr 2012, 16:02
Ditto, well worth the extra in my opinion.

Courtney Mil
1st Apr 2012, 16:48
BEags,

I hope the old chap had the sense to stay on AFPS75 and that have arranged a suitable handover period. :cool:

Flying Lawyer
1st Apr 2012, 17:20
But is the One-Touch Premium with ash-catching jobber worth the £30 extra

Yes, well worth the extra.

jindabyne
1st Apr 2012, 17:49
Well worth the dosh BEagle - VB again?

BEagle
1st Apr 2012, 18:53
OK, so the Weberisti reckon on the ash-catcher. Blond genug, I will follow corporate guidance when the time comes to pension off the old chap.

He did well tonight though - chook boob teriyaki with (OK, I know...veg on the barbi' is one step short of gas) sugar snap peas, baby corncobs and potatoes with garlic and olive oil.

Am at Bingo 2 VB right now, Jinda' - just waiting for Majestic to open its new boozatorium in the town and then I'll be off to replace stocks. I had to settle for chilled Vino white-o tonight.

Courtney, the old fellow will cetainly be on the best pension deal available. As a mark of respect, his wheels will probably end up on the new Weber - the new wheel design is a bit 'street' for my taste. Innit, bruv'?

ex-fast-jets
1st Apr 2012, 19:04
Go gas, young man!!

You know it makes sense!!

And reduces your carbon footprint!!

And saves trees - even though they be dead ones!!

Less time pfaffing, and more time to enjoy a glass (or two) of red!!

And even fewer burnt off'rings, which will please SWMBO greatly!!

BEagle
1st Apr 2012, 19:17
Go gas, young man!!

Nope, gas, the bottled breath of Satan's backside, is GAY!!

And to hell with tree-huggy 'carbon footprint' or other such global warmist greenwash!

ex-fast-jets
1st Apr 2012, 19:33
My dear chap!!

You seem to have had too much of your white stuff!

With gas, you would have had time to pop to your local BP Station to top up with red. They would have welcomed you as they probably aren't selling petrol. At the moment!!

Embrace the future, & be not luddite!

Gas is great!!

BEagle
1st Apr 2012, 19:39
There's plenty of red in my wine rack, thanks. I don't do red with chicken though.

Neither will I ever be convinced to try 'the other way' of gas faggotry.

So who else fired up their sacred black orb today?

langleybaston
1st Apr 2012, 21:50
my big red b*gger with thermometer, wheels, ashcatcher etc etc has done 2 BBQs already ...... today was only frantic slab-squirting before the hosepipebanjobby starts.

I confess I have a big gas item as well, used for large gatherings twice a year. Once for retired metmen and spouses, once for bellringers and ditto.

At JHQ the tripod kept falling off when trundelled, so I jammed it with a bratty wrappy, still in place.

22 years old and in good nick. [me, not the big red b*gger].

polyglory
1st Apr 2012, 21:59
Weber Geneis working a charm in the last 8 years, in all seasons magic:ok:

Lima Juliet
1st Apr 2012, 22:41
I used to be a fervent Weber user - 57s and Smokey Joes. I used to replace them about every 3 years as they would never survive the UK's winters if kept outside (oddly enough my garage is for cars and motorbikes!). Then I discovered Char-Broil...

http://0.tqn.com/d/bbq/1/0/x/a/char_broil_quickset_2_burner.jpg

I bought this off of a mate posted to Leuchars back in 2001, although mine has a cooker ring and temp gauge as well - it came out of the Nellis BX. Always kept outside for the past 10 winters and she is still in great condition and cooks fantastically (Gas is the King and charcoal is for those that like to give their guests food poisoning!). I will never buy another Weber again; they kind of remind me of US Muscle Cars and Harleys - look good but fall apart, rust and lack real performance!

BTW - chicken never a problem, straight from the fridge and not a dodgy belly for one of my guests ever...:ok:

BEagle
2nd Apr 2012, 07:40
So you've come out of the closet, have you Leon?

But if that piece of gas-faggotry helps you to recognise your orientation, so be it....

Weber + charcoal. Accept no substitutes! Fortunately there is enough room in my garage for the Teutonic Tourer, as well as the Weber, various grass hacking devices and all the $odding recycling bins we're now required to use.

obnoxio f*ckwit
2nd Apr 2012, 08:54
Last week in sunny NE Scotland, a record 23 deg, black orb very confused at being dragged out so early in the year, this morning it's got snow on it. Bloody weather!

Pub User
2nd Apr 2012, 09:02
I used to replace them about every 3 years as they would never survive the UK's winters if kept outside

Mine has lived outside since 1996 and is still fine.

Whenurhappy
2nd Apr 2012, 09:38
LJ - Like you, I used to have a Weber, then we purchased a Char Broil 10 years ago. It has survived three overseas moves and 2 changes of the regulator on the gas hose (but safely back on US bottles).

Cooked a couple of rather nice corn-fed hormone enriched steaks last night without any problems - and it's survived a winter where temps dropped to -25C.

WP

L J R
2nd Apr 2012, 11:41
...and back here at sunny 27 degrees South, the summer has not finished (nor has it finished since re-locating back here since leaving Vegas). The Weber is always on the go (with charcoal), and the VB always cold.....
...aaah how I love semi-retirement back home.

...Hope the UK Wx is Ok for your retirement Beagle....

kluge
2nd Apr 2012, 12:04
Glad to read that the educated ones are taking full advantage of 21st century all weather grilling technology.

The manufacturers of the black orb themselves have seen the light and use “Traditional Gas” in their product range.

Still I guess there will remain a small market for the neo-Druid lunatic fringe and their Beltane rites, maypoles and general knuckle scraping. :rolleyes:

A short step from this to the Wicker Man. :=

Wing warping and rotary engines had their followers too but ultimately gave way to superior technology.

Whenurhappy
2nd Apr 2012, 12:40
Next you'll say Puttees have been done away with? Where's my damn batman? Haven't seen him for years...

BEagle
2nd Apr 2012, 13:36
A short step from this to the Wicker Man...

Well, if that includes Britt Ekland (as she was then) dancing about the room wearing just a smile, that's fine by me.

Yes, I know it wasn't actually her who writhed against the door in the film...:\

But gas? You might as well just move your kitchen cooker outside....

ex-fast-jets
2nd Apr 2012, 14:46
But gas? You might as well just move your kitchen cooker outside....

NO, NO. NO!!!

SWMBO pays close attention to the cleanliness of the kitchen cooker - but considers outdoors cooking to be a "man thing"! So she never looks at the cleanliness of the barbie - which is a good thing!!

My gas weber has at least one decade of accumulated blackness, which is what adds to the flavour of the off'rings. And it spends all winter outdoors, in use, and not closeted at the back of the garage!

If I scrubbed it with bleach/oven cleaner/brillo, it simply would not be the same.

Just like using fresh charcoal every time!

A mature gas barbie is a thing to be cherished.

langleybaston
2nd Apr 2012, 14:59
The thing that jerked me into the modern world was my first trip to Oz ..... 14 years ago. ABSOLUTELY NOBODY USED OTHER THAN GAS.
If it was good enough for rufty tufty inhabitants, surely it must be OK?

Ubehagligpolitiker
2nd Apr 2012, 17:02
Not when I was there - typically a wood fire with a few stones supporting a sheet of corrugated iron - not even a Weber.

L J R
2nd Apr 2012, 20:53
I am THERE, (in OZ) and use the coals in the Weber....:ok: ..not 'flavoured' ones, or hickory chips like my south west US friends...:=
Have used the coals for 35 years.......(not in the same Weber though - I have made the occasional trip to a Bx).

Lima Juliet
2nd Apr 2012, 21:15
Beags

Weber + charcoal. Accept no substitutes! Fortunately there is enough room in my garage for the Teutonic Tourer, as well as the Weber, various grass hacking devices and all the $odding recycling bins we're now required to use.

Yup, but the Beamer-built machine and my Trumpy don't fit with a black orb or any other BBQ. The only other Webber in the garage runs on petrol/air and is substantially more to buy than a black orb :ok:

Nope, charcoal is dead and gas is the King - no more to say about it really. It's a bit like jet vs prop, diesel vs petrol, chip bag vs SD Hat, brown lightweight flying boots vs black flying boots...personal preference :ok: (that said, I'm not at all keen on faggotry)

LJ

Pub User
2nd Apr 2012, 21:16
If it was good enough for rufty tufty inhabitants, surely it must be OK?

What? You mean the shandy-pants geezers that can't cope with a UK winter, and live on 'manly' brews like Fosters?

SWMBO pays close attention to the cleanliness of the kitchen cooker - but considers outdoors cooking to be a "man thing"!

The kitchen cooker would no longer be such a thing if it was outside.

A mature gas barbie is a thing to be cherished.

Just like a well-kept chilled lager is something to be savoured - in a GAY bar.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Apr 2012, 21:22
Welcome back My Beautiful Weber! I have always found this a most useful thread. Whenever one's remarks on other threads in this forum provoke the comment that they have little to do with military aviation, I always cite the continuing existence of MBW as proof that the ROE are meant to be bent, as even the various ways of cremating food are permitted as a topic.

I should state that I have never at any time cooked a meal on barbeque, not have I any intention of ever so doing, but I defend to the death your right to do so, and to discuss it ad nauseam if that's what pleases you.

Good luck MBW - see you next year http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

The above posted last April. Just to say welcome back again and happy BBQ-ing for this year. I'm happy to report that I have managed to survive another twelve months without being forced to attend a barbeque.

Enjoy your summer!

obnoxio f*ckwit
14th Apr 2012, 08:05
Beags, have you been to Oz recently?

Man drank 50 cans of VB, then drove | Adelaide Now (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/man-drank-50-cans-of-vb-then-drove/story-e6frea6u-1226326315625)

cornish-stormrider
15th Apr 2012, 10:25
Are you pathetic heathens STILL prattling on about which device you BOUGHT is best.

huh, you'se are all a bunch of Puffs. Wimp's the lot oh yeh, an yer mother is a trout and your fathers smelt of elderberries or summat......

Build yer own, shandy drinking wooftahs.

I am onto my third custom oil drum, upgrade model 1.3, powered by wood. Gas is for central heating and indoor cooking. Propane is devilry

BEagle
15th Apr 2012, 12:15
I am onto my third custom oil drum, upgrade model 1.3, powered by wood...

How charmingly ethnic and third-worldly. Do you hunt dinosaurs with a spiked wooden club as well?

The Beautiful Black Orb is merely your peasant device brought forward a couple of centuries. But I agree about the bottled breath of Satan's backside!

50 cans of VB??!! One, maybe two stubbies is about my limit with chook boob and some veg plus potatoes (you'd like those, cornish-stormrider, they come from the New World) on the grill.

Roland Pulfrew
28th May 2012, 08:58
After some time away, missing most of last year's BBQ season, and a recent move from one end of the country to the other, this weekend's weather was just too good to miss. Welcome back Smokey Joe; I really enjoyed cooking al fresco again. (Probably should have had fewer of Arran Breweries Blonde Beer (5%) and more of the H2O though).

And some great aircraft flying over the house as well to keep me entertained; 1 x Jet Provost 5, 1 x Hurricane, a couple of Chipmunks and lots of other light new and vintage aircraft (tentative link to aviation).

Now (hopefully) to get your big brother out again next weekend for the BH!!

BEagle
28th May 2012, 16:59
Well, after a long and distinguished career, I'm afraid that after 24 years my trusty blackfellow has finally had to be pensioned off.....:(

Despite a change of wheels, leg tip and the spinny propeller cack-extractor jobber, rust finally became terminal:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/rust.jpg

Not only was the old chap becoming increasingly wobbly on his pins, but air was getting in with the vents closed and my sharkhole was being consumed at an excessive rate. So tomorrow he'll be off to the Holiday Home for Old Webers at the local recycling place for a well-earned retirement.

But on the bright side, he has now handed over the responsibility for barbi' duties to a brash newcomer - a 47cm Weber One-Touch premium:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/oldandnew.jpg

The ash-catcher is excellent and I'll even forgive it for the nylon handles rather than the old wood ones. As for the luxury of a temperature gauge, whatever next!

Which part of the world are you in now, Roly?

Good to see the Voyager flying into Brize again today whilst I was assembling the sacred black orb - it's certainly been racking up some hours of late. But not with pods fitted........:uhoh:

langleybaston
28th May 2012, 17:26
Best of both worlds attempt number 1.

Yes, Weber is best BUT .............

At 1230 Saturday erindoors wondered aloud if we might have al fresco bacon, eggs, tomato etc, and a glass of something see-through, but we needed to leave the house in less than an hour.

All whilst topping up the melanoma risk.

Not very practicable on a Weber, piece of the proverbial on a gas jobby.

Warm plate, fried bread, the lot.

And no wasted charcoal at the end.

Best of both worlds.

BEagle
28th May 2012, 19:54
At 1230 Saturday erindoors wondered aloud if we might have al fresco bacon, eggs, tomato etc, and a glass of something see-through, but we needed to leave the house in less than an hour.

"Yes, woman, give me a yell once you've cooked it! I'll be sitting outside in the sun with a glass of something cool."

If she can't give you enough warning for you to be able to fire up a proper straight charcoal barbi', then she should expect to have to use that expensive machinery which lurks, or so I understand, in the 'kitchen'...

Whatever one of those might be.

Wander00
28th May 2012, 20:28
68 and just used a Weber for the first time in my life, in a rented summer house in Denmark.. BRILLIANT. Must get one!

thing
28th May 2012, 21:51
I thought this was about carburettors...:(

nice castle
28th May 2012, 21:58
Ah...the other fire-spitting device. A bit less reliable than a charcoal bbq, though.

thing
28th May 2012, 22:10
Gas man myself although I do have a chimnea and have looked at the wood embers a few times and thought about knocking up some kind of griddle to slip over the top. Mind you by the time it gets to 'cooking embers' state it's around midnight....

BEagle
28th May 2012, 22:11
I thought this was about carburettors...

Oh yes, of course you did......:bored:

The Weber carburettor was an absurdly complicated Italian device designed to turn petrol into noise and little else. The mere mention of 'twin forties' was expected to make petrolheads moist.

Then came fuel injection. Arrivederci, Italia!

thing
28th May 2012, 22:12
Not seen this thread before Beags, don't lurk here that often.

sittingstress
28th May 2012, 22:33
I suppose it is the modern way of the world for men to come out so openly as gas users.

My outrage level was boosted when I received a reply from LOCOG (Fire Bearing and Transportation Division) regarding my request for my daughter's Olympic Torch to have the gas burner removed and a lump of lit charcoal mounted in its place.

Apparently they do not accept that a charcoal briquette soaked in lighter fluid and set on fire is an alternative to the entirely effiminate gas monstrosity that it is currently fitted with. I have instructed my daughter to walk with the torch held at arms length and with a look of disdain on her face.

In order to help her through this gas based experience I shall be having a party to celebrate her 21st the previous evening. My large black orb will be sparked up and items animal, various, gunners cooking and eating for the use of, will be offered to the fire god within. The smaller black orb is to be used for those who do not partake in meat and are subsequently light on their loafers and will need to share a bottle of "salad dressing".

In summary; gas is wrong and even makes the noise POOF when ignited.

Roadster280
29th May 2012, 00:54
But on the bright side, he has now handed over the responsibility for barbi' duties to a brash newcomer - a 47cm Weber One-Touch premium

Expliquez-vous, s'il vous plait.

47cm? WTF is that? Traditional Weber grills come in two sizes. 18.5", and 22.5". I assume you got one of these (http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/charcoal-series/one-touch-gold-18-1).

47cm, indeed. American grills are sized in inches. End of.

BEagle
29th May 2012, 06:37
Dear old spams and their obsession with the imperial system - about the last remaining legacy of having been civilised by the British a few years (in historical terms) ago. That and speaking a weird form of English.....alooominum and all that.

The 0.0023364 furlong One-Touch premium is similar to the one in your photo, but being a European model it doesn't have those rather Marilyn Monroe white wall tyres. That's 'tyres', by the way, not 'tires'. It also has a heat guard for the top handle and an integral thermometer, plus a nylon grip on the air vent control.

Also available in 0.0028409 and 0.003375 furlong sizes (57cm and 67 cm or rather 22.5" and 26.75" for colonials who like to dress in turquoise crimplene or trousers (not 'pants') made from old office carpets).

jamesman
29th May 2012, 08:23
Aprat from the good 'traditional' sizes, when posted out in the good ol US of A my boss asked me to get him a proper sized Weber and if memory serves me it was a 42 incher! Looking on the webiste though apparently they only now do a 37.5", a baby by comparison! However it does boast a full 1104 sq inch cooking area.....what for I don't know....a cow??? For me I am on the fence (well she wants one type of bbq and I want the other!), I still have my Ramstein bought normal Weber, a Smokey Joe (both 1993 and still with original grills and been outside for most of their happy lives), a cyp bbq (great for kebabs) and a gas one as Mrs Jamesman always complains when I start putting food on the real grills at 2200! Can't see the problem there.

cornish-stormrider
29th May 2012, 13:45
Spend money on a fire god containemnt device - you lot are still all a load o shandy drinkers.

I will permit, those of you who by their nature of being, ahem "sky gods" could not be trusted to actually fabricate their own, to purchase the correct fuelled FGCD. any engineer will tell you - the one they built is always superior - I must make a note in the diary to have plenty of animal sacrifices this summer/autumn.

Roadster280
29th May 2012, 15:07
Ah, the delicious irony of denigrating Americans, on a thread in praise of... well, never mind, you get the picture. Not that I'm a SPAM yet; later in the year, all being well.

Anyway, I had the pleasure of beef & pork kebabs with a Moorish marinade, with red potatoes, mushrooms & onions on the lake yesterday, cooked on my Weber Q120. (http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/gas-portable/weber-q-120-1)

Of necessity, it's gas powered. Burning coals and boats dinnae mix, cap'n.

Motleycallsign
29th May 2012, 15:18
A bit different to the cooking skills of a bv in a BV in Norway then Roadster!

Roland Pulfrew
29th May 2012, 15:22
#1. Best of both worlds attempt number 1.

#2. if we might have al fresco bacon, eggs, tomato etc..........

Not very practicable on a Weber, piece of the proverbial on a gas jobby

Breakfast? On a BBQ? Proof in #2 of a fail in #1 if ever there was one!! :ok:

Roadster280
29th May 2012, 15:25
Indeed so!

I'm pondering what to make with the 1/2lb (sorry, 250g) each of ground beef and pork sausage meat I have in t'fridge. Some form of patty/burger thing, but currently lacking inspiration. Any preferred recipes out there?

BEagle
29th May 2012, 16:35
Mix it all together with plenty of chilli, garlic and herbs, then make some albóndigas?

Or one rather large one?

Roadster280
29th May 2012, 17:51
Gracias, Señor Beags. I'll give it a bash. Never tried them, so we'll see. Sounds bit like Ćevapčići.

Aeronut
29th May 2012, 18:25
http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/life/recipes/

BEagle
29th May 2012, 18:39
Actually, ćevapčići in pitta could be good!

Just had the inaugural burn of my new barbi' - chook boob teriyaki with baby corn cobs, sugar snap peas and spuds. Excellent!

Thermometer showed about 170°C after 25 min of waiting for the sharkhole to do it's thing. After cooking, I closed off the vents and now, about 30 min later, it's down to 90°C - so hopefully the coals have been extinguished....

Roadster280
29th May 2012, 19:23
Dunno about Webers, but my BGEs will reliably continue to burn at 200 deg F, which can't be far off 90 deg C. Absolutely fantastic ribs, when slow smoked at such a low temp for several hours.

I'd leave the mofo overnight just to be sure. What is it there, 8.22 at night?

BEagle
29th May 2012, 20:22
It was when you posted!

Barbi' thermometer now showing off-scale low, sharkhole extinguished!

kluge
30th May 2012, 03:01
BEagle – being the good sport that I am I’m pleased that you’re enjoying your new purchase even if it looks like a pygmy Dalek sans skirt. But WTF is a "sharkhole" ? :suspect:

By coincidence I too purchased a BBQ recently – an Outback Hunter SS+ - nothing Bologna about this bad boy :ok:

Hunter Stainless Steel Plus | BBQ Grills, Gas Grills Singapore - Outback Barbecues (http://www.outbackbbq.com.sg/new-products/hunter-stainless-steel-plus/)

After it's been delivered some “all weather time-to-grill” trials might be in order.

cornish-stormrider
30th May 2012, 12:47
1400 shamoleons - geez some of you people really have more money than sense.

So you need to barbeque for how many years just to justify the outlay, let alone the costs associated with your poof fuel.

honestly - it is a pretty bauble but not for that price. I surmise it comes down to a lack of endowment in the trouser dept*

* this fact proved by the fact you need poof fuel - for that price I would just eat at a restaurant more often.

stuckgear
30th May 2012, 13:18
Dammit ! i thought this was a thread about carburettors.

Roadster280
30th May 2012, 13:46
In the end I made some patties with the meat, threw in some spices & herbs (pepper, chili, oregano, garlic) and chopped onions. They were quite delicious!

As an aside, years ago, in the land of good bier and adult movies, while taking the weekend off from repelling the Soviet hordes, I bought a vegetable chopping whatsit. Made by Börner, it works very well, and makes the task of slicing or dicing veg child's play.

Roland Pulfrew
30th May 2012, 14:21
meat, threw in some spices & herbs (pepper, chili, oregano, garlic) and chopped onions

This I get, but

slicing or dicing veg

this I don't. We will be mentioning the S-word soon if we aren't careful. :E

Roadster280
30th May 2012, 15:02
Point taken, it was used for the itty-bitty onion chopping!

cornish-stormrider
30th May 2012, 15:32
Why are we averse to metioning steaks?

As I recall the correct method of garnishing a steak was either another steak or a big arse alien space weevil (langoustine, to those in the know)

Anything else is irrelevant.

BEagle
30th May 2012, 17:03
c-s, the $1399 price was in LBFM dorrah ("Me ruvv you big time, onry 50 dorrah"), not spam money. That Outback gas mobile kitchen thing is about £450 in the UK (still a crazy price), which works out at LBFM$900....

I suspect Roly was referring to a different 5-letter S-word, but still with 2 vowels and 3 consonants.....

Roland Pulfrew
30th May 2012, 20:33
I suspect Roly was referring to a different 5-letter S-word, but still with 2 vowels and 3 consonants

Beags

Spot on. Nowt wrong with steaks (very pleased that my new village has a good local butcher); I was indeed referring to the ladies contribution to the BBQ as you describe. :}

Roadster280
30th May 2012, 20:54
Nothing wrong with a bit of salsa :)

langleybaston
30th May 2012, 21:22
..... sauce!

kluge
31st May 2012, 02:49
(LBFM)..... and still PBR it seems :E

........Sambal is close but no cigar.

The cost of living in Asia's Fine City is much higher than London (8 vs 18 per 2011 rankings) but I suspect that this will fly over the heads of some :rolleyes:

whiz
31st May 2012, 12:56
Afternoon all,
I've been an ardent charcoal fan for many a year and only last weekend indulged myself with a 57cm one touch wonder from Weber, however my budget wouldn't stretch to the deluxe version with the charcoal catcher thingy. It's been sparked up 3 times now and the grub has been top notch but I do have an issue with the time it takes for the coals to take on the grey hue that signifies it's time to slap the meat on the grill. Once fired up, grub loaded and lid in place the thermo will quite comfortably sit at or around the 180-200C mark for an hour and a half to 2 hours whilst I cook a whole chook. After said chook is removed and I treat the offspring to a hotdog and or burger with the coals glowing as red as a para in a spelling test the bloody thing goes off the scale again temperature wise, strange indeed. I'm familiar with having to adjust vents top and bottom to control the temp but even with the bottom vent/one touch cleaning device fully open and the lid off it takes at least 45 minutes to reach a temperature that I feel is high enough for me to start cooking ... any thoughts?

Roland Pulfrew
31st May 2012, 14:02
even with the bottom vent/one touch cleaning device fully open and the lid off it takes at least 45 minutes to reach a temperature that I feel is high enough for me to start cooking ... any thoughts

2 thoughts spring to mind.

1. Try keeping the lid on during the warm up process to get a blast furnace effect which can get the coals burning more quickly.

2. Treat yourself to Weber charcoal starting "chimney" definitely works like a blast furnace and usually has coals from cold to cooking temperature in 20 minutes or so (I seem to remember someone posted a picture of one on this topic somewhere - best present my ex-father-in-law ever bought me!!).

This will of course have the gas aficionados howling with laughter and bragging about instant heat etc, but don't let that put you off - it doesn't make it right. My advice for the charcoal experience is: get beer, light charcoal, chill drinking beer, ensure resupply of beer and cook when ready. It's all about planning really.

Roadster280
31st May 2012, 15:21
It's all about planning really.

Amen to that!

On the charcoal 45 minute thing, one thing that's confused me in the past couple of years (since I've had a BGE) is this:

Weber mandate the use of briquettes. Preferably Kingsford. They're manufactured with constituents other than just wood.

BGE mandate the use of lump wood charcoal. Pure black stuff.

In my experience (better part of 20 years with Weber, 2 or 3 years with BGE), the charcoal lights more quickly, has a greater burn range (~200-700 deg F), and most importantly, leaves very little ash. I see no advantages to briquettes at all.

Why does Weber prefer briquettes over "proper" charcoal?

BEagle
31st May 2012, 16:25
The 'Charcoal Grill Owner's Guide' actually advises the quantity of fuel to use for all Webers using either charcoal briquettes, beechwood lump charcoal, mixed wood lump charcoal or Weber heat bead briquettes.

They supply a charcoal cup with which to measure the correct amount of fuel; for example, for the 47 cm kettle use 30 briquettes or 1 cup of lumpwood charcoal.

I reckon on about 25 minutes from lighting to starting cooking, using the briquettes from the local supermarket.

Aeronut
31st May 2012, 17:21
any thoughts?

Chimney starter is a must.

Weber teaches on it's "Thrill of the Grill" courses that vents should ALWAYS be fully open (unless extreme turbulence is affecting the burn) and lid always on.

Instead control temp with charcoal quantity (and quality).
good quality charcoal briquettes will burn for 4 hours.

Also consider the Minion Method of adding unlit coals (and wood for smoke) from the start, next to burning coals for prolonged and steady cooking over long periods (eg 6+ hours for ribs)

Backwards PLT
31st May 2012, 18:37
As a neophyte compared to most on this thread, I humbly come asking advice.

I am looking at dipping my toe in the world of Weber gas (yeah, yeah) BBQs. I am looking at getting a Spirit E210.

Any thoughts or advice?

On the gas / charcoal debate, I prefer charcoal for occasional cooking but for regular use (several times per week over months) it is just too much hassle. Sorry.

Roadster280
31st May 2012, 19:43
Yes, I have some advice.

Don't.

If you're going to buy a grill for convenience, then why bother buying an expensive gas one?

If you're going to buy a good one, then that rules out gas from the outset. High end restaurants use charcoal. Even the ones that use gas have commercial systems with high heat output. There's also the cleaning of the gas ones to consider. They don't get hot enough to destroy the grease, so they become grease pits. Some have removable parts to help; the dirty bits of my Weber Q120 will go in the dishwasher, but it's no use for a full-on cook-out. Charcoal grills make a bit of ash. Brush it out and you're good to go.

I had a big shiny silver 5-burner, rotisserie equipped gas turd a couple of years ago. I ended up giving it away. It was pants.

There you have it, a completely unbiassed view :)

ex-fast-jets
31st May 2012, 20:16
So many wasted heartbeats!!

Go gas.

It's been the future for years.

Ignore the luddites who cherish the past which was charcoal.

It's no different from rejecting jet fighters in favour of the Sopwith Camel.

Be brave - go gas!!

You'll love it!!

Roadster280
4th Jun 2012, 01:11
A splendidly warm evening here, we have just enjoyed a steak dinner; filet mignon for Mrs R280, a T-bone for me. Grill-roasted garlic red potatoes and half a 6" Portabello mushroom each, with a dish of Chimichurri on the table. Most excellent!

As a side note, I can't buy Cornish Pasties in the US, so I make them myself. I've made the filling tonight, and will be baking them tomorrow. I may well use the grill to do that, I'll report back how they did.

cornish-stormrider
4th Jun 2012, 10:06
Well sir you will be making pasties.
to be cornish you have to be west of the tamar in God's Greatest land.

I might power up the oil drum today, steaks and taters for tea then......

Courtney Mil
4th Jun 2012, 10:46
Check the temperature of your pasties carefully or the VAT man will come knocking.

Roadster280
4th Jun 2012, 12:37
I am most definitely west of the Tamar. By about 80 degrees!

"God's greatest land"? Hmm.

Pasties they will be then.

Roadster280
5th Jun 2012, 00:58
I'm feeling quite pleased with myself, here are the fruits of my labour:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j99/roadster280/IMG_0513.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j99/roadster280/IMG_0512.jpg

It's a shame a couple of them split. I should have let the filling cool a little more, and used bigger discs of pastry. I'll have another bash tomorrow after the filling's been in the fridge overnight.

cornish-stormrider
5th Jun 2012, 10:42
Good effort Roadster - I believe you have succeeded in making Georgian Pasties!

Maybe take em to Savannand find another brit to flog em to.
Oh and if you are ever that far east - try the Tybee Island crab shack!
om nom nom nom

BEagle
5th Jun 2012, 18:38
Theym oggies look proper job!

Although the crimping needs a little practise, if you're going to be truly authentic. But your oggies look a darn sight better than I could ever manage!

Hope you didn't include carrot in the filling though....:eek:

kluge
18th Jun 2012, 04:14
Initial burn-in test conducted last week: Sausages – Mexican Chili, dodgy BBQ (pork/beef/lamb mix) :suspect:

Config (F6): 3xgrills centerline and left/right inboard. Grill plate discarded

Meat Type: (1) Boerewars
(2) 600gram Aussie grass fed Rib Eye with bone 1.5” inch thick (USDA corn fed not available)

WX (approx): METAR WSSL 180300Z 17010KT 9999 FEW018 BKN300 32/23 Q1011 RMK 0230Z Q1011

Test Pilot Condition:
Test 1: 2xWorsteiner Premium before test. 1 during
Test 2: 2xglasses Talisman NZ Cab Sauv. 1 during.
Time of tests: approx half past Harry Tate

Test (1): coiled Mamba
BBQ preheat: MAX burners (3) x 15mins
Burners to idle Boerewars applied.
7-9 Mins turning occasionally hood down.
Memsahib Side Dish: variety of dressed green leaves (name of dish not known)
Result: slightly overcooked but tasty. :D
Time to Eat: 24mins

Test (2): Côte de Boeuf
BBQ preheat: MAX burners (3) x 15mins
Searing: MAX burners 3.5mins per side
Cooking: Burners to idle Bovine in suspended cradle thing, hood down: 5mins
Standing: 10mins
Memsahib Side Dish: Port wine reduction, garlic mash spuds, some green thing, Colmans hot English
Result: The Maillard reaction at its best. Outstanding. :ok:
Other: Pooch got the bone. Post test clean up by Filipino Amah ground crew assisted by porcelain coated grills.
Time to Eat: 37mins

Further tests scheduled for coming weekend. :8

Aviation references embedded.

izod tester
2nd Aug 2012, 10:57
I have been a very satisfied user of Weber kettle barbecues since 1980. However, last Sunday I noticed that it was unsteady whilst cleaning the grill with a wire brush (whilst the firebed still contained burning briquettes). The following morning I cleaned out the ash and turned the kettle over to investigate. The attached photograph shows the advanced state of corrosion around the leg attachment sockets. I was lucky that the leg had not collapsed when the charcoal was burning. That BBQ has been used regularly since I bought it in 1995 and spent all that time outdoors and so is well past its guarantee period.

The point of this post is not to denigrate the quality of Weber BBQs - I have just bought a replacement. However, anyone who has one several years old would be well advised to inspect the security of the leg attachment socket welds from underneath. The failing welds were not easily noticeable from the inside of the kettle.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86388099/weber%20corrosion.jpg

BEagle
2nd Aug 2012, 11:38
Yes, the corrosion looks similar to that which finally caused me to replace my trusty old 1988 blackfellow as it had become rather a rusty old blackfellow.....

The new model with the ash catcher is excellent - such a shame that our glorious summer has meant that it hasn't had as much use as I'd intended.

But on the plus side, VB is now available in the town - Majestic Wine has just opened a branch where Kernahan's used to be!

airborne_artist
2nd Aug 2012, 11:42
(whilst the firebed still contained burning briquettes)

May I remind you that the use of briquettes in a Weber is not really the done thing, though I see that they are sold by Weber. Lumpwood charcoal is the fuel of choice.

izod tester
2nd Aug 2012, 13:26
I often do use lumpwood charcoal when grilling steaks hamburgers and sausages. Last Sunday was roast rib using briquettes stacked each side in the Weber indirect method.

Roadster280
2nd Aug 2012, 18:04
+1 for real charcoal. Very much hotter, much less ash. Better flavour. Winner!

ex-fast-jets
2nd Aug 2012, 19:03
If you still resist the sensible option of going for gas...................

Then it clearly demonstrates why cleaning things is bad for your wealth!!

So, go gas, and stop the cleaning!!

Makes for better taste too!

Just don't tell Brussels!

chopd95
2nd Aug 2012, 19:15
Currently have Oz guests who, as they do, pronounced themselves olympic champions in the art of the barbeque. The ensueing (heated?) debate revealed that they really meant cooking outdoors on a gas - heated metal plate. In true olympian spirit we brought on the trusty black orb - properly barbequed leg of lamb. Another medal for team GB.

(Possibly not for the purist, but the Weber "aluminum tube" fire starting device is a marvel, and deemed to be within IOC rules hereabouts)

sled dog
3rd Aug 2012, 15:48
Once gas, never back ...(mine is a Weber Q200)

Howabout
31st Aug 2012, 06:55
What the hell happened? Yesterday I posted an entirely accurate condemnation of BEagle for being a tragic gasser, a wearer of pink lingerie, and a consumer of Vomit Beer.

My post did not register and I ask 'what is going on here MODS'?

I'll tell you what: there is a conspiracy that has been orchestrated by those that worship gas and wear girls' undies, and BEagle is the ringleader.

Well BEagle - ha, ha. As you slide into winter and your freezing cold, miserable climate, which is also an accurate description of your countrymen, the glorious orb will be chugging.

Think blue skies, 35 deg heat, beer on ice (VB is banned), a Weber gas-free roast lunch, and a pool that sparkles.

The downside is that when the sons bring the bikini-babes back for a swim I must avert my eyes.

Kluge, thanks for the WX from WSSL - fond memories. We are taking the granddaughter for breakfast with the orangutans at the zoo in SIN after we do a cricket gig in PEN (7-9 Sep).

BEagle
31st Aug 2012, 08:49
Look, you can joke about pink lingerie and even about my penchant for VB:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/IMG_0234.jpg

However, your slanderous assertion that I cook with the bottled breath of Satan's backside is simply going too far! My trusty blackfellow uses charcoal and always will! Although I do admit to lighting the charcoal with a gas lighter - presumably you chaps in the colonies simply ask a local to rub a couple of sticks together?

Yes, well the UK has just had its wettest, dullest summer for 100 years...:( . But today it's bright and sunny and the temperature will soon be into double figures - it was only +2°C at RAF Benson last night.

Enjoy your Weber roast lunch - and I hope that you won't get too sunburnt....:cool:

Standing by for more stupid comments from that idiot Jack Russell which insists on following me about with his pointless yapping ....

SOSL
1st Sep 2012, 14:38
Beags, I'm with you on the charcoal/vapour debate. BTW is that somewhere near Weymouth I could see on the SATNAV?

Gone are the days when Navs attracted rations and wasted fuel!

R280, nice work with the pasties, I wonder if Samosas would work on a BBQ.

IIRC I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers and before my last b'day I tactfully let it slip that I needed a new BBQ. I now have three (BBQs that is) but I live in a two bedroomed cottage with a P stamp for a garden. I can only use them one at a time :ugh:.

However that is enough to broil some fabulous, fresh, fat, chalk stream trout from Stockbridge, served with new potatoes, local farmhouse butter, and Hampshire watercress salad, accompanied by a dangerously chilled Chablis. Then enjoy the moment with some old friends.

Happy days.

Rgds SOS

P.S. I can't think why I didn't retire years ago...oh, hang on.....mmm

langleybaston
1st Sep 2012, 15:47
I have checked my legs three, and legs two.

All seem well attached, but the pair seem a little wobbly .... must be something in the water.

About to light up, snags from local butcher for starters.

BEagle
1st Sep 2012, 16:43
BTW is that somewhere near Weymouth I could see on the SATNAV?

Not Weymouth, it's actually Langenargen on the northern shore of Lake Constance. Almost my second home a few years ago, thanks to all the working trips I had there....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Bodensee_.jpg

But I didn't take the VB photo there - who would drink Australian lager with so many excellent regional German beers available!

Succesful barbi' last night, despite the odd spot of rain (weather-guessers got it wrong again...:p). Pork steak and some roasted veg. I might even fire up the trusty black orb again this evening, I think!

However that is enough to broil some fabulous, fresh, fat, chalk stream trout from Stockbridge, served with new potatoes, local farmhouse butter and Hampshire watercress salad, accompanied by a dangerously chilled Chablis.

That sounds utterly heavenly! I remember a good few delicious Test trout with Jersey Royals from days visiting friends at Broadlands many years ago.

Courtney Mil
1st Sep 2012, 17:06
Pork belly on the Webber tonight. Photos to Phollow.

taxydual
1st Sep 2012, 17:49
Royals!! Broadlands!!

Beagle, you name dropper you!

:)

ex-fast-jets
1st Sep 2012, 19:32
Popped out this evening to my GAS Weber (CM - please note only one "b" in Weber!) - Lit it 30 mins before the Memsahib required offering to be ready - threw a couple of Mesquite chunks into the smoke box - had a glass of wonderful Chilean Merlot - carefully placed the fish onto the hot grill - had another glass of Merlot - took the beautifully cooked and gently smoked fish to the table - switched off the GAS Weber - sat down and enjoyed the meal - accepted the accolades of the amazed diners - had another glass of Merlot...............................

And some of you are still spending hours trying to set fire to Carbon!!

Amazing!!

BEagle
1st Sep 2012, 19:45
Merlot with fish??

Almost as inappropriate as a gas Weber....:=

Pork belly on the Webber tonight

Pink rabbit, Courtney?

SOSL
1st Sep 2012, 20:48
Looking phorward to seeing them!

Rgds SOS

Courtney Mil
1st Sep 2012, 20:52
Sorry. I buggered up the photography. Tonight's photos failed, but tomorrows with the venison will be worth waiting for. There is only one way to cook dead Bambi. It's a serious process. Stand by...

SOSL
1st Sep 2012, 21:05
Standing by - out

Rgds SOS

BEagle
2nd Sep 2012, 14:25
Well, my barbi' was a reasonably accurate recreation of a mini-kebab, with racing chicken, nose warmers, salad, tzatziki and tahini, plus wine.....

So accurate was it that it even included a bout of the infamous 'Akrotiri two step' in the early hours......:(

Which reminds me of the eternal question: http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/77559-kokkinelli-kebab-darkens-stool.html

L J R
2nd Sep 2012, 15:50
I hope those VBs in the drink holder on the dash didn't get warm there.

SOSL
2nd Sep 2012, 15:54
Hi Beags. Recently I had the honour of taking a waz in the gents in the fire section at Boscombe Down. There was chart on the wall, above the tall porcelain things, which was headed "Level of Dehydration".

It was essentially a graded colur chart ranging from pale straw coloured to mahogany.

The idea was when you had a waz you could check the colour and refer to the chart to see how dehydrated you were.

For most of us it doesn't matter, if we are a bit dehydrated we just lie down and take an aspirin, or one of those big fizzy tablet things.

But for firemen whose office is often a burning inferno at a high temperature it seems it's a good idea to know how dehydrated you are before you go into the office. (Not stools but the other things).

Then I had a delightful Sunday lunch BBQ with a slightly strange Clergyman and his family (Think Adams Family with Archbishop of Canterbury blessing). It wasn't a Weber but it was tasty.

Happy days.

Rgds SOS

Courtney Mil
2nd Sep 2012, 19:57
Here we go.

This is how to do venison on a Weber.

First assemble the ingredients for the meat.

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6201.JPG

The venison needs to be marinaded in red wine, a half way decent port, soy and the other things you see here.

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6202.JPG

The Weber is brought up to a low heat to warm the venison in its marinade.

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6204.JPG

And then some cleaning.

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6206.JPG

Whilst it's reheating, prepare the ingredients for the rice dish...

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6210.JPG

Carol and Courtney repair to the summer house to look for their new property in Brittany while everything gets ready.

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6211.JPG

The venison goes on the Weber in its marinade in the chicken roaster my Mum gave me. All wrapped up in aluminium foil...

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6212.JPG

After 12 minutes, the venison has taken up the colour and the flavour of the port and the red wine. The herbs are infused into the sauce.

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6213.JPG

Now the venison goes onto the grill and I add a little flour and seasoning to the sauce. The sauce reduces on the Weber.

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6214.JPG

Now for the rice whilst the sauce reduces. The organic basmati rice has been boiled for 10 minutes. Now I add the chilli and onions.

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6215.JPG

Fry it on the Weber for 5 minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6216.JPG

Slice the venison once it has had 5 minutes to set.

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/temp/Weber/IMGP6218.JPG

And there we go. Perfect. Dark on the outside, pink in the middle.

BEagle
2nd Sep 2012, 20:17
Courtney, old chap, your photos aren't showing using either IE8 or Firefox...

Lightly tanned on the outside, pink and moist in the centre - but with no blood..... Holds good for more than just broiled Bambi....:E !!

Edit - you've unbuggered them now, I see!! Or at least, some of them...

Courtney Mil
2nd Sep 2012, 20:27
I'm getting there Beags. A few minutes...

There, Sorted. Venison a le Courtney au Weber.

BEagle
2nd Sep 2012, 20:58
That does look good, Courtney me old!

Errm, but that looks suspiciously like a Weber 'Q' barbi'? Which uses the fuel of Satan rather than real charcoal, does it not?

Courtney Mil
2nd Sep 2012, 21:04
No idea about the technical stuff, Beags. But I light it with a charcoal lighter. :p

jindabyne
2nd Sep 2012, 23:19
How nice - a Courtney / BEagle love in ---

Courtney Mil
2nd Sep 2012, 23:58
What is your problem, Mate? Why so hostile?

Fg Off Bloggs
3rd Sep 2012, 05:25
Probably the smell of bullsh*t!

SOSL
3rd Sep 2012, 06:39
The thing is, young Bloggs, that this is a thread about BBQs and cooking stuff on them.

When we grown ups retire, relax and continue to enjoy the good things, we like to share stuff - including photos!

BTW CM, I think you may have un-characteristically over reacted to JB's post. Maybe you and he could make up and be friends for ever.

I enjoyed the photos - venison looks phantastic.

I have also just b.....d my photos of the Adams family BBQ. I hope no-one tells them!

Rgds SOS

CoffmanStarter
3rd Sep 2012, 06:54
Courtney ... Nice touch with the 43 Squadron apron ... Recipe now in the Coff BBQ manual :ok:

CoffmanStarter
6th Mar 2013, 18:10
Now I'm sure some will want to issue a Fatwa against me for bringing forward the annual start date for this thread ... But at the end of March last year we had some great weather ... So now is a good time to get the scheduled service done and check "fuel" levels ready for action :ok:

I for one did my annual service yesterday on my AWT 5 Ring Propane monster ... Low Pressure cock fully functional, igniters serviceable, EGT working with limits ... Job done !

Now there is a certain PPRuNer who is a Weber devotee but sadly seemingly reluctant to upgrade his technology ...

Well, today on a trip to John Lewis, I must admit to a mischievous grin when I saw these ...

The Weber S670 at £2,999.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/231110052_zpsae728f8b.jpg

And the Summit S679 at £5,999 with "Social Area".

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/231418897_zpsfbbdab5a.jpg

Come on BEagle it's just like moving from props to jets ...

Best regards ...

Coff.

BEagle
6th Mar 2013, 18:40
Come on BEagle it's just like moving from props to jets ...

Bolleaux it is! You might as well use a microwave as that wretched piece of gas faggotry!!

My trusty blackfellow will soon be coming out of hibernation and the ritual of charcoal, singed fingers and smoky flavoured dead beast will once again be with us.

One HUGE embuggerance though. Majestic no longer sell VB :{

thing
6th Mar 2013, 18:47
VB? Not Victoria Bitter?

ex-fast-jets
6th Mar 2013, 18:53
With proper fuel, you don't need to wait for summer - or whatever excuse for summer this year offers!! - to pop outside and enjoy the delights of BBQing. Kidney of a Horse, Liver of a Cat - sausages filled with a bit of that!! Enjoy winter, spring and all the other seasons we get - gas is great - carbon is sooooo old fashioned!

All tastes great on a proper - slightly grubby - gas Weber!!

CoffmanStarter
6th Mar 2013, 18:56
BEagle ...

Might be worth checking on-line ...

Majestic Wines (http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/product-is-28689)

Coff.

thing
6th Mar 2013, 18:59
If you like Oz beer Cooper's is pretty good (in fact it's the only Oz beer I can stomach) but I don't know if you can get it in UK.

Lima Juliet
6th Mar 2013, 19:06
Sorry to "P" on your BBQ, but BBC Weather are predicting snow next week...http://forums.mg-rover.org/images/smilies/snowman.png

Duplo
6th Mar 2013, 19:08
Standing on the pan watching the team load up their Webers, halcyon days...

Lima Juliet
6th Mar 2013, 19:13
BEags - you mention "gas faggotry", surely drinking Oz pish like VB is "beer faggotry"? :confused:

A nice drop of IPA or a Real Ale is what you need with your cremated charcoal offerings...:ok:

LJ

BEagle
6th Mar 2013, 19:19
Coff, as you will have seen 'Sorry, this product is not currently available'....:(

So I'll have to try some Cooper's Pale Ale, I guess....

I prefer lighter beers with a barbi' - and Old Specky Hen with wintertime British grub.

CoffmanStarter
6th Mar 2013, 19:44
BEagle ... I'm sure stocks will replenish :ok:

Leon ... Don't let your Station Met Man near a TV ... Get him to do his own forecast :E

Lima Juliet
6th Mar 2013, 20:16
Coff

BEagle ... I'm sure stocks will replenish

I'm sure you're right...

http://www.medleague.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/UrineCollectionBag.bmp

...they collect gallons of VB in Nursing Homes nationally!

LJ :ok:

PS - remember that chimps get the weather right more than met men when it's a 50/50 choice!

Barksdale Boy
7th Mar 2013, 05:37
Last year I was on holiday in the US - one week on the magnificent Oregon coast at Manzanita and one week in Colorado split between three days in Buena Vista and four days at Indian Hills, both locations about 9,000' above sea-level.

At Manzanita I used a borrowed Weber with charcoal to produce a good piece of roast beef, after which the talked turned to the merits of both methods. "Ah", said the knowing Pacific coast sea-level dwellers, "wait till you get to altitude in Colorado. Charcoal will be useless there: it's the altitude, you see; it takes much longer to cook with than gas".

In Buena Vista our hosts cooked two acceptable meals for us on a non-Weber gas BBQ. They repeated the warnings of the good folk from Oregon. In Indian Hills, our hosts, knowing my feelings on the subject and I suspect sharing them, had acquired a Weber for me to use. We cooked twice on it - once a general mixed grill and then some steaks, both with excellent results. I have to say that the cooking times at about 9,000' were exactly the same as I would have expected at sea-level and the result at Indian Hills immeasurably better than at Buena Vista.

It's the charcoal, you see.

CoffmanStarter
7th Mar 2013, 07:21
All part of the service ...

For those interested in "Select" Beers ...

Beerritz UK (http://www.beerritz.co.uk/dept/beer_d012.htm)

langleybaston
7th Mar 2013, 09:28
This Metperson spent many a happy wednesday evening May to October under the trees and a great big brake chute in Portadown Way, JHQ.

1800 hours, the trundle of Webers being dragged to the middle. One of my legs [the Weber] always fell off during the trundle.

Those without time for a light-up shared with others.

Virtually no army joined in, almost all RAF and civvies.

Fellow incendiarists included Clive Loader, Jenks Jenkins, Samuels "eat this egg, shell and all" the engineer, the Singletons, the Yarrows ............

Nostalgia .......... not what it used to be.

And Christmas Eve as well, and off to the midnight communion at St Boniface. Wazzed of course, and me a churchwarden

AND DO YOUR OWN 5 DAY FORECASTS, USE THE MET OFFICE WEBSITE, AND ALSO THE RADAR AND RAIN PREDICT FACILITY. BETTER THAN EVER, EVEN BETTER THAN ME AT MY PEAK OF PROWESS whenever that was.

I still have and use the big red one, and I still have and use the massive 3hp lawnmower from the PX ....... started like a dream this morning, after 23 years service.

John Eacott
7th Mar 2013, 09:48
Sorry to "P" on your BBQ, but BBC Weather are predicting snow next week...http://forums.mg-rover.org/images/smilies/snowman.png

Way too blooming hot for BBQs: we're in for ten days with temperatures above 30C, peaking at 38C. Today was 36.

And it's autumn :eek:

L J R
7th Mar 2013, 11:09
Summer here hasn't finished, and the VB is still flowing...despite all of your opinions on its suitability as a form of thirst relief...and the Weber remains mostly warm, thanks to the coals remaining in 'ember' for most nights. :ok:

thing
7th Mar 2013, 14:28
Way too blooming hot for BBQs: we're in for ten days with temperatures above 30C, peaking at 38C. Today was 36.

Son reports that it's been raining for weeks on and off up in Bris. Still warmish though. 19 weeks and I shall be knocking back the Coopers on his patio....not that I'm counting....