PDA

View Full Version : The CTC Wings Scheme thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

dragonfly6
14th Sep 2006, 08:37
Hello,

am out in NZ at the moment, been out here a while now. Thought i could offer some advice r.e the girlfriend issue. Anyone is allowed to bring girlfriends/partners out and a couple have done, although the accomodation is out of town and is basically an en suite room plus fridge and microwave. You also have to appreciate Hamilton is not the most happening of places. Also, CTC will only issue one magnetic key card per room. Spouses/girlfriends would definately need a car of thier own. The course is quite intensive and engaging, i would suggest unless the partner had an engaging job here it would be unlikely that they would last the course of the stay. In addition, and on top of delays to the flying schedule, rumours would suggest that in future, the CPL and IR might be done here as opposed to bournemouth so you may be here longer than planned. Hope this helps.
Good luck to anybody doing selection.

dragonfly6
14th Sep 2006, 08:40
You would also have to purchase a double bed unless both of you are incredibly small.

Stall-turn-Go
14th Sep 2006, 08:58
Thats a bit harsh dragonfly, Hamilton is a lovely town and ideally located to go and do anything you could possibly wish to in NZ.

BitMoreRightRudder
14th Sep 2006, 09:53
Nah I'd agree with dragonfly, Hamilton is a nice enough town but it doesn't have a large centre and therefore has a limited number of places to go on a night out. Nine months is a long time to spend in Outback. Even Coyote's got a bit average after the tenth visit. There isn't a great deal to do nearby so you need time and money on your side to head out further afield and do other things on the weekends. If I had my chance again I'd spend more time in the South Island.

One of the lads on my course had his gf out there for about 4 months. She found casual work fairly easy to find but she did admit she got a bit bored hanging around RAF Peachgrove and often their plans for a weekend away were destroyed by the flying schedule. Personally I left the Mrs behind in the UK and took the hit on phone cards!

For those about to head out to NZ I must warn you if you haven't already heard, Kiwi beer is "different" - I'm being diplomatic there. My personal favourite was Speights, but I'd stear clear of Tui. Just a suggestion.

Enjoy, and Good Luck.;)

squawkident.
14th Sep 2006, 10:26
Hi- carrying on the topic of girlfirends out in NZ, I actually broke up with mine last night.

Really annoying, but she was finding the thought of the whole long distance thing too difficult to handle, although I wont be leaving until Dec anyway.

Pretty crap really; im sure this must be a frequent topic with a lot of airmen/women with the whole long distance thing.

On the plus note Hamilton is getting closer so thats something to really look forward to.
If guess if its meant to be...Que Sara sara

Caracul
14th Sep 2006, 11:00
For those about to head out to NZ I must warn you if you haven't already heard, Kiwi beer is "different" - I'm being diplomatic there. My personal favourite was Speights, but I'd stear clear of Tui. Just a suggestion.
Enjoy, and Good Luck.;)

MMMMM....steinlager ;)

X-Plane
14th Sep 2006, 11:07
Hi,

To everyone on CP42, where are you all staying on the 27th? I havnt booked my accommodation yet, just wondering if anyones got any good deals. Also I whats everyone planning on wearing seen as they dont want us in jeans?

Cheers,
Ant

Pazu888
14th Sep 2006, 11:24
I'm train-ing it down, so I'll be tired and bleary eyed for the first part of the day...

Gonna have to be up at 6am!

Pazu888
14th Sep 2006, 11:26
And I'm wearing smart trousers and a shirt I guess...

glasgowfly
14th Sep 2006, 11:31
Hi,

To everyone on CP42, where are you all staying on the 27th? I havnt booked my accommodation yet, just wondering if anyones got any good deals. Also I whats everyone planning on wearing seen as they dont want us in jeans?

Cheers,
Ant

Hello fellow cp42er I have similar thoughts. Earlier on some were suggesting that we go in pink polo shirts. I do have a couple of pink polo shirts but don't know if I will wear one. I think I'm going to wear cords and a polo shirt or short sleeved shirt.

With regards to accommodation I have not chosen anywhere yet. I'm leaving that down to my sis, who is coming down with me. I usually go for a travelodge or travelinn as you can book them online. I'm driving down on the Monday and spending a few days down there as a short break before I go to NZ.

Also to anyone flying down to Heathrow from Scotland on the 4th I recommend BA from Glasgow or Edinburgh as they allow 30kg luggage + 1 laptop and 1 hand luggage which is good for £35.

G

Jimbo_P
14th Sep 2006, 12:06
S-I, sorry to hear about the breakup mate. Going away for this long won't be easy on any of us, let alone the friends/family/girlfriends we're leaving behind.

I'm booked to stay at the Dale Farm House, as it's not far from the pilgrim and only 5 mins walk from CTC in the morning. Also, at £35 a night it's not bad either.

I sense a CP42 tradition of pink polo shirts in the offing....?:ok:

rusty_y2k2
14th Sep 2006, 12:19
Sorry to hear that Squawk. Just consider that if the relationship couldn't survive even the thought of you moving out to New Zealand for a while then it probably wasn't meant to last anyway, and better now than half way through your course! At least now you can go out there a single and worry free prospective pilot and enjoy flirting with the natives guilt free!

My GF actually had a year out in the south of France last year as part of her Uni degree, so now it's payback time ;).

Pazu888
15th Sep 2006, 00:26
S-I, sorry to hear about the breakup mate. Going away for this long won't be easy on any of us, let alone the friends/family/girlfriends we're leaving behind.

I'm booked to stay at the Dale Farm House, as it's not far from the pilgrim and only 5 mins walk from CTC in the morning. Also, at £35 a night it's not bad either.

I sense a CP42 tradition of pink polo shirts in the offing....?:ok:

Surely not!!

We... we can't let that be the tradition... can we??

I'll get one tomorrow...

glasgowfly
15th Sep 2006, 07:24
So I guess we are all wearing a pink shirt then ha ha? Definately not long to go now!

BitMoreRightRudder
15th Sep 2006, 08:18
MMMMM....steinlager ;)

I wasn't a fan of that mate, but it's worth an honourable mention:D

In fact that reminds me, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES drink the Guiness in NZ. Just don't do it.

trainee99
15th Sep 2006, 11:07
Mine's an Export Gold - sweet as! There's a load of websites with photos etc. taken during training that CTC applicants might find useful/inspirational/interesting/none of the above but nice to look at regardless..
www.ctc19.com (http://www.ctc19.com)
www.cadetpilot.com (http://www.cadetpilot.com)
http://theflying.********.com
http://airjaime.********.com
www.thepilotslounge.co.uk (http://www.thepilotslounge.co.uk)
I'm sure there's more...

X-Plane
15th Sep 2006, 11:30
pink shirt it is;)

Pazu888
16th Sep 2006, 11:13
Sorry lads, haven't had time to get the pink shirt (it's not something I would normally own!!)... going on holiday today and getting back on the 27th so its looking unlikely!

Maybe when we're out on the beers in Hamilton I'll wear one.

This has sort of become a CP42 thread now... looking forward to meeting you all :ok:

EGPFlyer
16th Sep 2006, 11:38
I'm afraid the pink shirts have been done before.... you know who you are!:ooh:

Have fun out there.

ezy_3
16th Sep 2006, 12:00
Hi all,

first of all - thanks very much to everyone who has contributed to the forum (some really useful information here...)

Just writing to check if anyone is booked in for stage 2 on the 29th of Sep?

Cheers,

:} ezy_3

RS999
16th Sep 2006, 17:40
Hi all,

first of all - thanks very much to everyone who has contributed to the forum (some really useful information here...)

Just writing to check if anyone is booked in for stage 2 on the 29th of Sep?

Cheers,

:} ezy_3

I'm on 13th Oct:ok:

Volant77
16th Sep 2006, 18:44
My phase 2 is on the 29th too!

Bigaircraft
17th Sep 2006, 14:25
Hey there all
Could anyone shed some light on the pahse 3 interview, I know its a good thing to know a thing or two about the airlines involved, but when the subject comes up in the interview, is it in the form of "What do you think of XXXX's Business model" and "what sort of aircraft to YYYY fly?" i.e. asking you for snippets of information on a particular airline, or is it in the form of "What can you tell us about XXXX?" so you end up reciting everything you have learned (or can at least remember!)? I'm not bothered either way, I'm just interested to know, as probably are several other budding stage 3ers!:}

By the way, anyone who has stage 2 coming up and wishes to ask questions I'm more than happy to give my take on it :)

BigA/C

The Mixmaster
17th Sep 2006, 15:16
There was nothing as in depth as tell us about X airlines business model. The question's they asked me relating to their airline partners were:

Can u name the airlines with which we have links?

Is there one particular airline with which you would like to be placed, why is this? (I said Thomsonfly)

We have especially good links with Easyjet, what are the difference's between Easyjet's operation and that of Thomsonfly?

I'm not saying they'll ask you this specifically as every interview isn't the same as the last but I hope this helps:ok:

Jimbo_P
17th Sep 2006, 18:18
So the CP42 uniform is pink shirts and chinos.... Who needs epaulets and a hat these days?

See you all in the 28th, with my pink shirt, chinos.....and aviators! :cool:

spaceman18
17th Sep 2006, 19:55
Have fun out in the tron cp42... speak to Cat in the Bank, she makes some weird and occasionally wonderful shots:ok: When you get bored of Coyote and the Outback, head north to Globe in Auckland-great fun, and whatever you do dont ever, ever, go to Monkey Feather in Hamilton:eek: And enjoy the kiwi summer... long days of atpl study on Raglan/Tauranga beach....tricky.

pilotdude85
17th Sep 2006, 20:19
Hello all,

this is my first post on pprune, although i have been reading the posts for years. I have now finished at leeds uni and am going for my stage 2 on 6th October.

So i'll see JAW656 and leigh logan there. Good luck lads.

:) Pilotdude85

iamtheone
18th Sep 2006, 10:41
Hi all, got through phase 4 last week, anyone else flying to NZ on 1st Nov? Im on the long foundation course. Cant wait to get cracking!

IATO

Bigaircraft
18th Sep 2006, 10:48
There was nothing as in depth as tell us about X airlines business model. The question's they asked me relating to their airline partners were:

Can u name the airlines with which we have links?

Is there one particular airline with which you would like to be placed, why is this? (I said Thomsonfly)

We have especially good links with Easyjet, what are the difference's between Easyjet's operation and that of Thomsonfly?

I'm not saying they'll ask you this specifically as every interview isn't the same as the last but I hope this helps:ok:

Thanks for the info, much appriciated. Right, time to get swotting:8

NickS
18th Sep 2006, 15:53
Hi there,
I'm booked in for stage 2 on the 29th. I'll be driving down from Leeds on the 28th and staying in the Travel Lodge in Bournemouth (£26). If anyone needs a lift down from somewhere along the M1, or if anyone else booked on the 29th wants to meet up for a lemonade on the evening before, send me a PM.

Bigaircraft
18th Sep 2006, 18:15
By the way, any stage 3ers staying at Dale farm house on the 26th?

sicky
18th Sep 2006, 18:17
bigaircraft - pm :)

ChocksAwayUK
18th Sep 2006, 18:24
Mine's an Export Gold - sweet as! There's a load of websites with photos etc. taken during training that CTC applicants might find useful/inspirational/interesting/none of the above but nice to look at regardless..
www.ctc19.com (http://www.ctc19.com)

I'm sure there's more...

Haha.. what's the sample in the Flash intro to that site? Or did someone really record ATC during my CPL skills test?

Oh, just googled. It's Airplane, obviously.

Jimbo_P
19th Sep 2006, 11:16
Good luck to those having phases two and three this week :ok:

ramon76
19th Sep 2006, 11:22
jimbo, did you do ATPL groundschool in London Guildhall? just wondering...

Jimbo_P
19th Sep 2006, 11:30
jimbo, did you do ATPL groundschool in London Guildhall? just wondering...

Haven't done my groundschool yet. I'm down to go to Bristol GS with CTC around May/June.

Ah, if only I had already done the groundschool!

FlightDeckDave
19th Sep 2006, 14:32
Well I don't want to sound too geeky but yeah go for it, from my experince blasting away at some fellow peer can be quite satisfying and stress relieving.

SA242
19th Sep 2006, 19:13
Hi guys, well done to all of you who got through and are off to NZ. Enjoy it!:ok:

I need a little directional orientation to Bournemouth if someone could help. I am going to be coming through at the end of the yr after I eventually finish my degree, for stage 2 from South Africa. What is the easiest way to get down from London. I was thinking the Southern train service through Clapham Junction? Do I get off at Christchurch or Bournemouth station? Any help appreciated....

Rgds

Andrew

Jimbo_P
19th Sep 2006, 19:28
Hi guys, well done to all of you who got through and are off to NZ. Enjoy it!:ok:

I need a little directional orientation to Bournemouth if someone could help. I am going to be coming through at the end of the yr after I eventually finish my degree, for stage 2 from South Africa. What is the easiest way to get down from London. I was thinking the Southern train service through Clapham Junction? Do I get off at Christchurch or Bournemouth station? Any help appreciated....

Rgds

Andrew

Go to Waterloo. From there you can sometimes get a train which stops in Christchurch, but more frequent are those which stop at Bournemouth. Christchurch is a couple of miles closer to CTC, and would therefore save you a little in taxi fare. It's sometimes easier to get the train to Bournemouth, and then catch a local train back to Christchurch.

Good luck!

SA242
19th Sep 2006, 20:33
Excellent, thanks a mil for the help:ok:

X-Plane
19th Sep 2006, 22:04
Yeah im up for the multiplayer thing, spent a few evenings at uni getting drunk and playing medal of honour multiplayer and it was good fun, go for it.

Reverand Lovejoy
21st Sep 2006, 06:42
Morning all,

Had my stage 3 resit yesterday, am now waiting for my email and boy is it nerve racking. Good luck to everyone else as well. Let us know how it went

The Reverand :bored:

sam109
21st Sep 2006, 09:28
Dear all,

I have just registered at Pprune today. interesting indeed. need to ask if anyone out there is going for stage 4 on the 28th of september at bournemouth airport. Any tips from those who already passed this stage would be very welcome!
I am very hopeful at this stage! Have my medical tomorrow. Hope all goes well cause I am borderline in astigmatism!

hear from you :)

Jimbo_P
21st Sep 2006, 10:41
Good luck Reverand,

Let us know how it goes mate!

The Mixmaster
21st Sep 2006, 10:46
yeah good luck Rev, I'm doing my reassesment for phase 3 in 6 months time, how did it feel second time around?

Bigaircraft
21st Sep 2006, 14:21
Good luck Rev, I'm doing stage 3 next week and I'm not looking forward to the time in between finishing and getting the email! Kinda have these images of me going insane before they can email me, ha ha!

Let us know how u do mate :ok:

Reverand Lovejoy
21st Sep 2006, 14:48
Did it lads. Got through to stage 4.

Will be in touch to give some feedback when I've calmed down (read sobered up). Not only that but my university mate got through also and will be joining me on the 28th at dibdon so I am super stoked.

Standby 1:ok: :ok:

The Reverand

iamtheone
21st Sep 2006, 14:52
Final Destination.....! Are you on long or short foundation? Im going out on Nov 01st on CP43 for a long foundation! Are you all set? When you get there you will have to email some pics of the rooms in the new accomodation. I believe there is a walk in fridge there too :D

Bigaircraft
21st Sep 2006, 15:03
Did it lads. Got through to stage 4.

Will be in touch to give some feedback when I've calmed down (read sobered up). Not only that but my university mate got through also and will be joining me on the 28th at dibdon so I am super stoked.

Standby 1:ok: :ok:

The Reverand

Well done :D bet its a good feeling

:}

Jimbo_P
21st Sep 2006, 15:16
Final Destination - Are you going out to New Zealand after the rest of us? I'm going out on the 4th, which by my reckoning is only 13 days away!!!
Hope I haven't ruined your schedule!!

Reverand - Great news mate, really pleased for you. One last hurdle and hopefully we'll be seeing you in NZ!

iamtheone - There's a video of the accommodation (albeit before it was finished) on cadetpilot.com !!!

scotty.mike
21st Sep 2006, 15:26
Fellow CP42ers! I too leave on the 4th Oct, unfortunately I don't get to use pprune frequently enough, looks like i've already missed out on plenty of (pink shirt) bonding.

I already know Pazu as we went through the selection stages together. Look forward to meeting the rest of you on the 28th.

Scotty

pre3mhjt
21st Sep 2006, 17:11
Yup, So me and the Rev are through (and I couldnt have done it without him). Never thought a phonecall could make me so happy, but there you go. Anyways, not counting chickens etc....got stage 4 on the KingAir with RW on the 28th.Thanks for all the help and advice guys. MHJT

Anybody else in Bournemouth 08:30 on the 28th? (for stage 4 that is?)

sam109
21st Sep 2006, 21:05
hey mates,

I am going for stage 4 on the 28th! I am new to this thread and I don't know how I managed to do it without all these 'tips' on pprune! Anyway see you guys on the 28th!

I will be stayin at Stour Villa guest house. Any of you are staying there for the night?

Sam

sam109
22nd Sep 2006, 12:37
HI!
Yeah I will be at Bournemouth on the 28th for the last stage! Where are you going to stay for the night?

X-Plane
22nd Sep 2006, 14:16
Well done on getting through to stage 4, enjoy the sim assessment, its really good fun, especially the landing at the end. Nobody ever does everything they ask you to do perfectly, just relax and listen, they are looking for trainability not perfection.
Cheers,
Ant

dragonfly6
23rd Sep 2006, 03:01
X Plane:

Check your Pm's ASAP.

Delta452
23rd Sep 2006, 14:37
Hey guys and girls.

Ive just booked myself in for stage 2 on the 13th October, really looking forward to it! Anyone else attending their stage two on that day? Ill be staying at the Stour Villa guest house and will be driving so if anyone wants a lift in the morning ill save you the cab fare ;)

Reverand Lovejoy
24th Sep 2006, 11:42
Guys,
If anyone is going for stage 4 on the 28th that lives anywhere along the M1 and wants to car pool then let me know.
2 stages in one week with hotels and the price of fuel is crippling. Trains start at around £95 and a flight is £173 so I guess Im left to the car again.
The Reverand (I'll be asking for more donations at this weeks collection ;) )

glasgowfly
24th Sep 2006, 18:01
Fellow CP42ers! I too leave on the 4th Oct, unfortunately I don't get to use pprune frequently enough, looks like i've already missed out on plenty of (pink shirt) bonding.

I already know Pazu as we went through the selection stages together. Look forward to meeting the rest of you on the 28th.

Scotty

Not long to go now, look forward to meeting you all at Dibden on Thursday!

11 days to go!

G

sam109
25th Sep 2006, 11:05
Dear Reverand Lovejoy,

I will be arriving from Malta on the 27th at Gatwick airport and go to central London from where I will take the bus to Bournemouth. At least this time the bus tickets were not so expensive! But I guess we cannot meet before the assessment day. In two weeks I had to fly all the way from Malta - pretty expensive - but it's all worth if we will be in NZ soon! Really hope so!

Where will you be staying for the night??
Good luck!

Reverand Lovejoy
25th Sep 2006, 15:56
Myself and another lucky sod (you know who you are MT are staying in the avon causeway. Will be arriving there around 2pm on the 27th if your in the area. This applies to anyone else who ends up down there on the day. Oh yeah just a quick question for you all - How many people end up on the sims in one day? 4? 8? 12? Just curious as to how much waiting around may be involved.

Many Thanks
The Reverand:sad:

sam109
25th Sep 2006, 16:30
As far as I know there will be 4 participants. At least this is what one guy who is in NZ told me. I will arrive in Bournemouth very late (at around 22.00) Well I didn't pay anything till now so I can always change my mind and stay in Avon. How much are you going to pay?

m_flyer125
25th Sep 2006, 18:21
Was wondering how everyone got on in phase 2 on the 22nd september??? it was quite a good day in the end - especially checking hotmail on the phone every 2 minutes all the way home!

wish they'd ordered more sandwiches from the 'bun run' for us though lol

I'm heading down for the 18th October - any of you guys coming down? what's everyone doing about travel? don't know if I could handle another 7 hour train ride :sad:

sicky
25th Sep 2006, 19:31
At least you don't have to do 6hours in the car!!

Infje
25th Sep 2006, 20:44
I was down there on the 22nd for phase 2, passed and will be there on the 18th!

Took me 7 hours to get back, stuck on the M3, M25 and the M1. I had visions of coming back from the nightmare drive to an e-mail saying I'd failed. Its been worth it so far tho!

FatboyTim
26th Sep 2006, 07:29
if you need to do the wakefield to Bournemouth trip again I would avoid the M25 at all costs (and the M1 for about 30 miles north of the M25 too for that matter)

It might be worth taking the M1 as far as the A42 then taking that to link you up with the M42, then onto the M40, then A34 towards Oxford and Southampton, from here you can pick up the M3 towards Bournemouth

Of course it all depends on the time of day, but bear it in mind!:ok:

ps. flybe also fly to Southampton from Leeds/Bradford. Not sure on the frequency or prices though!

Reverand Lovejoy
26th Sep 2006, 11:42
SAM109,

I am paying £50 per night for a single which is a little pricey but I'll be there all day so it kinda works out. If there is only 4 of us then it is you myself, my friend and another candidate. I am getting mixed feedback from people regarding passrates for this stage.

However, CTC say that it is measured the same as any other of their stages, ie, against THEIR marking scheme and not each other. This means if we're all good we all go through. This would be awesome.

One final call for advice on stage 4 guys. I am so nervous and don't want to be. The nerves have kicked in because I can taste nz and dont want to let myself down. I'm currently going through Trevor Thom edition 5 on instruments and am scrubbing up on my scan. What else can you do??

See you soon
The Reverand :ok:

bjkeates
26th Sep 2006, 12:38
Just try not to let nerves get the better of you. I know it's easier said than done but once you're in there it'll fly by. You will be shown all the instruments before you go in and their functions will be clearly explained. The best advice I can offer is the same as I've given before.

1) Early night
2) Good breakfast
3) Relax

Also, it's true that all can go through from one stage 4 day. There were 6 on mine and they all went through. Also, I believe none went through the following week. If you're good enough, you'll do it. Best of luck.

Wing_Bound_Vortex
26th Sep 2006, 12:41
The Rev,

Best thing is to try and relax when you're in there, listen to what the instructor says, and try to apply it to improve on each go. Not much you can revise for, like you said, if you've been looking at the basic radial scan then you'll do fine!

ANC is the priority ( aviate, navigate, communicate ), which you'll hear quite a bit in the training, i.e when they start asking you questions whilst flying, the priority is to fly the plane, then think about answering the question.

Have fun!

WBV

Reverand Lovejoy
26th Sep 2006, 12:51
Thanks for the advice. Alot of common sense which can be put to one side when focussing on one thing.

I guess thats exactly the point - keep the scan going and ANC.

I have only one concern now though and that is the fact I have about 130 hours including an IMC which I have never used! Will they put the thumb screws on me because of my experience?! Also due to this lack of currency I have forgotten the reason behind "reversing" the approach technique. What I mean is that I was always taught to control airspeed with elevator and trim and then move the aiming up and down the windscreen with power. However, on a precision approach airspeed is controlled with power and the elevator controls the glideslope?? Anyone fancy a stab at this one? Sorry it's off topic.

The Reverand :ok: :ok:

sam109
26th Sep 2006, 13:57
Dear Rev, same here.
Cannot relax! Now that we are so close we cannot loose it kind of. It would be great if we will all make it!! Hope all goes well! Have a nice trip tomorrow, to you and your friend! take care. cya in bouremouth

Mister-Sheep
26th Sep 2006, 16:52
Rev, check your pms

Mister-Sheep

squawkident.
26th Sep 2006, 19:37
Hi Rev- I found the sim flight to be quite fun actually although the rest of the day was fillled with nerves.

In my case, the examiner was a current training captain (not sure if he still flies with an airline although i suspect he does part time).
He clearly stated at the beginning that if you have any questions then ask him and thats exactly what I did.

Their real job in CTC is training pilots and I found him to be very patient and helpful. However this doesnt mean to say that he'll do everything for you - rather that if you have any questions such as power=descent rate /attidue = speed then do do do ask.

I also found it was useful to talk outloud but then I find that helps me with my flying generally.

Good luck to you anyways

SIdent

SA242
27th Sep 2006, 07:42
Rev, good luck with stage 4 mate - Sure all will go well!:ok:

Just want to find out, is it cheaper to hire a car in Bournemouth or to take a taxi. Everytime I seem to take a taxi this horrible feeling of getting blindly ripped off comes to mind...

rgds

SA242

JRT
27th Sep 2006, 16:37
Hi

I was wondering if anyone is going for their phase 2 selection the 13th october from london. If so it would be nice to take the trip together.

Jan

dragonfly6
28th Sep 2006, 01:23
rev check your pm's

Troy McClure
28th Sep 2006, 13:41
Anybody heard their result for Stage 3 on 26th September?

PM me.

sam109
28th Sep 2006, 14:41
I made it through phase 4!!
I was offered to go to NZ on the 1st of November. Any other CP43ers around?
Sam

squawkident.
28th Sep 2006, 14:53
Well done Sam. Congrats on making it. Are you long or short course? Im CP44 long course.
Now begins the admin paperwork trail- enjoy!!
See you in NZ,
SIdent

iamtheone
28th Sep 2006, 14:56
Sam check PM's

Bigaircraft
28th Sep 2006, 15:57
got the email 2day, passed stage 3 on the 27th! anyone else going to stage 4 on the 5th oct? :ok:

BobbyK
28th Sep 2006, 16:28
Booked myself in for the 20th october on phase 2- anyone else?

pre3mhjt
28th Sep 2006, 20:38
Passed stage 4 today, I think im gona be short course CP43, leaving 27th December. Rev and Sam, CONGRATULATIONS! I spose its my turn to start rallying the 43 troops prior to departure!? MHJT

sicky
28th Sep 2006, 20:49
got the email 2day, passed stage 3 on the 27th! anyone else going to stage 4 on the 5th oct? :ok:

As you already know, my big part scottish part boltonish friend, i'm the same. See you on Friday 5th!!

Reverand Lovejoy
28th Sep 2006, 22:15
Evening All,

Past my stage 4 today and have been placed with CP42 for the meet and greet on the 26th Oct and flying out on the 22 November. A massive congrats to pre3mhjt and sam109 who were also successful today but have been placed on CP43 (don't blame yourself lads - bring on the Cp42/43 banter!!) I think I got CP42 coz my paperwork was ready to go and I'll only need a short course. To the best of my knowledge the CP42 long course are going out real soon, I'll have to drag my way back through this thread to find the departure date.

Oh yeah, and whilst I'm here - I have a fabulous pink polo shirt so I hope I fit in with the rest of you guys........... allbeit a bit late. Eitherway cant wait to meet you all and contribute to the ever expanding team that is CP42.

The Reverand:ok: :ok:

TheSquire
29th Sep 2006, 08:48
Well done to those cadets who got through on 27th - I made it through to the next stage of the ATP which is the AQC... was an enjoyable day all round! Good luck to you all. :ok:

Jimbo_P
29th Sep 2006, 11:54
Rev, good to have you with us!

We had our meet and greet yesterday and we're off out for the long course on the 4th.

Cracking day yesterday lads, see you all in the Terminal 3 bar next Wednesday afternoon!

JP.

sicky
29th Sep 2006, 16:30
Well done to those cadets who got through on 27th - I made it through to the next stage of the ATP which is the AQC... was an enjoyable day all round! Good luck to you all. :ok:

Congrats!! Hope it all goes well!

Bigaircraft
30th Sep 2006, 00:00

Well done! Had a good day too. Glad to hear you got through, maybe see you in the future :ok:

Mindie
30th Sep 2006, 07:30
Well Done Sam, so happy that you made it. :ok:
:D

NickS
30th Sep 2006, 14:26
Is anyone else booked in for stage 3 on the 25th October? Feel free to PM me if you are.

Happily I passed stage 2 yesterday. Those pilapt tests are nasty.

sam109
30th Sep 2006, 15:56
Thanks squakident!

Will definately meet in NZ!! When are you going to leave?
Have really of paper work to fill, and phone calls to make!!!

Hope I will manage to finish everything in time cause mine was a bit of a short notice. hahahahah.

Thanks again and good luck to you!!
Cya in Hamilton

Samuek

glasgowfly
30th Sep 2006, 19:13
Rev, good to have you with us!

We had our meet and greet yesterday and we're off out for the long course on the 4th.

Cracking day yesterday lads, see you all in the Terminal 3 bar next Wednesday afternoon!

JP.

Was an excellent day everyone, see you all on Wednesday. I'll be in the bar from 2pm onwards!!

G

squawkident.
30th Sep 2006, 20:05
FinalDestination,
Check your PM's

jb2_86_uk
30th Sep 2006, 23:06
Hey guys. I am new to the forum, and looking forward to making my mark!

Heard about the forum and how great it is from Volent77 when we met before our phase 2 ctc tests on the 29th.

Very unfortunatly, I did not succeed, very gutted but not too suprised. I found them quite difficult and the instructions (especially for the concentration test) were god-awful.

I am definatly going to reapply, there isnt a thing in this world that is going to stop me becoming a pilot, Ill even sell my mother and fund it all myself - well that will get me a lesson or two anyway ha ha.

I have a question for other ctc-ers - what kind of percentage of prospective students who fail initially at phase 2, eventually go on to get on the course? Bob at Stour Villa told me they get alot of people returning to resit the aptitude tests and interview stages.

As long as it is offered, I expect to do a helluva lot better if I may resit the aptitude test, my nerves were off the rails while I was there and I was becoming very overwhelmed. Now I know what to expect and understand the tests, I belive I can produce some much better results!

Ill keep battling away, destined to be a pilot I am certain!

John

bjkeates
1st Oct 2006, 01:31
I found them quite difficult and the instructions (especially for the concentration test) were god-awful.

They're meant to be difficult. There wouldn't be much use in setting tests which everybody simply breezed through. Also, a fair few people pass them, as evidenced by the number of people on the course, so the instructions can't be that "god-awful".:rolleyes:

Streety
1st Oct 2006, 03:41
And what makes you so sure you're destined to be a pilot??

spaceman18
1st Oct 2006, 04:15
jb286uk...plenty of people fail stage 2 first time and go back and get through... there were 3 on my own course of 8!
You seem determined to get through, and quite positive... all good signs, precisely the sort of things they look for in stage 3.
Yeah the tests ARE meant to be hard... nobody finds them easy. Theyre looking for improvement more than anything else
Best of luck:ok:

pre3mhjt
1st Oct 2006, 08:09
jb2_86_uk,

I second what Spaceman says, but would also point out that if you were "nervous and over-whelmed" at stage 2 then stage 3 really could be a potential nightmare! You got to try and relax at these things if you really want to perform to the best of your ability.

Pre3

Jimbo_P
1st Oct 2006, 11:11
jb,

If I were you I wouldn't be too disheartened. At least you now have the experience, and you'll be better prepared for it next time around. Phase 2 tests can be practiced online (and perhaps Dr Kawashima can help..)

You show exactly the right kind of attitude, so I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

Good luck mate!

jb2_86_uk
1st Oct 2006, 14:10
Thank you for your kind comments :O

Streety: I am sure I am destined to be a pilot as I cannot see myself doing anything else as a career and I will not stop trying. I can be a very determined little man when I want something this badly.

BJKeates: Specifically, the only instructions I was annoyed with were for the concentration test. After reading them through I thought I knew what to do... then almost passed out as I sat watching the practice session do its thing, seemingly in absolute chaos. I figured it out part way through the first go and found it to be simple enough once I knew what I was doing. After speaking to a couple of guys after the tests, I was not alone in my inital reaction to this test.

pre3mhjt: I am generally ok with interviews, I have always remained calm and relaxed in a face-to-face interview environment in the past. Whether I still will be saying this if I get to the satge 3 tests I do not know, but I would rather sit an interview and put myself across as a person, rather than sit tests and just be a set of figures on a screen to them.

Please dont think I am moaning about the tests (well apart from the moan about the concentration instructions above... lol) I understand why the tests are so hard and I absolutly do not think they need to be made any easier. I am looking forward to resitting them, hoping I will be alot calmer, cooler and collected. I am definatly going to make sure my second bite of the cherry is a sweeter one.

JB

Bigaircraft
1st Oct 2006, 16:09
Hey guys. I am new to the forum, and looking forward to making my mark!

Heard about the forum and how great it is from Volent77 when we met before our phase 2 ctc tests on the 29th.

Very unfortunatly, I did not succeed, very gutted but not too suprised. I found them quite difficult and the instructions (especially for the concentration test) were god-awful.

I am definatly going to reapply, there isnt a thing in this world that is going to stop me becoming a pilot, Ill even sell my mother and fund it all myself - well that will get me a lesson or two anyway ha ha.

I have a question for other ctc-ers - what kind of percentage of prospective students who fail initially at phase 2, eventually go on to get on the course? Bob at Stour Villa told me they get alot of people returning to resit the aptitude tests and interview stages.

As long as it is offered, I expect to do a helluva lot better if I may resit the aptitude test, my nerves were off the rails while I was there and I was becoming very overwhelmed. Now I know what to expect and understand the tests, I belive I can produce some much better results!

Ill keep battling away, destined to be a pilot I am certain!

John

I assume u were invited back, in which case you will get to re-applly. but as the others have said, its good experience and you'll have a better chance of getting through the 2nd time because you know what to expect and had the chance to prepare! It may also help you in stage 3, they will ask you about your motivation, and it'll work in your favour to show that you werent detered by getting knocked back in stage 2, and had the motivation to keep trying.

I was knocked back at stage 2 on feb, was invited back in 6 months, and this week im off to stage 4! Dont give up, you seem to have a good attitude so I dont think there is any danger of that! best of luck :ok:

squawkident.
1st Oct 2006, 20:51
The training at BGS is about half way through the basic phase. For me this is 7 months into the NZ course, but i am on the long foundation course.
As far as im aware, its 2 weeks revision, then 1 week of exams.

The second set of exams are after the basic phase (about 2 and a half months more) and is in the same format as before. That being 2 weeks of study then 1 week of exams.

Im not so sure about the "training" though. I was under the impression that the ground school was all distance learning, and that the 2 weeks prior to the exams were revision weeks, rather than actual training or learning sessions.

SIdent

gareth08
2nd Oct 2006, 00:01
Not sure how it's working now, but when i went through CTC, you did the ATPL distance learning course where you read the manuals in your own time, and then submitted online progress tests to BGS. Most of the groups tend to head back after about 5-6 months for the first set of exams - basically usually a week off, followed by a week 'brush up' course at BGS (who admittedly are AWESOME), followed by another week off, then a week of exams at your chosen CAA exam venue.

The date for the second set of exams is a little more flexible, just depending on when you finish the training syallabus in NZ, but the admin staff at CTC organise the bookings of the exams accordingly. Whether it's still the same now i'm not sure, but that's how it was up to the end of 2005.

BIG MISTER
2nd Oct 2006, 02:01
CTC say in their FAQ section :-

Q I am just over 34. Can you make an exception to the age limit?

A Sorry, there are no exceptions. You have to be 33 or below, or only just 34 (within 3 months of your 34th birthday) to apply.

However The Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006, which come into force on October 1st 2006, make 'ageism', discrimination on the grounds of age, unlawful and says:-

Among other provisions, the new legislation will make it unlawful to:

Specify that candidates for employment should be above or below an given age

Discriminate against workers under the age of 65 on the grounds of age

Make someone redundant or bar someone from promotion because they are too old or too young

Dismiss an employee or deny them the training opportunities on the basis of age.

I guess a fair few webmasters will be at work later than planed this week ???

Bra
2nd Oct 2006, 03:56
What's the passrate in comparison with the number attending first stage selection? (By passrate, I mean those who actually go onto course acceptance)

Also, roughly how many places are available a year?

Thanks guys
Bra

Maximum_Smash
2nd Oct 2006, 08:55
... However The Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006, which come into force on October 1st 2006, make 'ageism', discrimination on the grounds of age, unlawful and says:-
Among other provisions, the new legislation will make it unlawful to:
Specify that candidates for employment should be above or below an given age...
If you look very closely, the answer here is in the question. They are the "EMPLOYMENT" Equality (Age) Regulations 2006. As CTC Wings is an independent Sponsorship scheme, in no way "employing" their cadets then they are free to take people on whatever criteria they choose (other relevent legalities permitting of course). A delicious little loophole for the young and vibrant if you ask me :)

Streety
2nd Oct 2006, 09:20
Max_Smash,

Not necessarily, as the regulations also apply to vocational training courses equally as they do to 'employment'.

In short, the answer is probably, watch this space...

Bra,

The passrate, if you want to call it that, is around 4-5%.

Streety.

2nd Oct 2006, 09:41
Employment Law. I love a legal argument, just great. At the moment there is no case law, but if an airline state that you have to do certain courses with certain training providers in order to get employment with that airline and that training provider has an arbitary age limit then I think the age limit by CTC of 34 can mean that the airline can be legally challenged on the grounds of indirect discrimination. The same legal principle already exists on grounds of gender, race and disability so I am very confident that it will cross over to this issue.

I spoke with an airline at the BALPA EOC last month and challenged them on CTC recruitment. They tried to distance themselves until my friend pointed out to them that they specifically mentioned and linked to CTC on their website where it stated in no uncertain terms that if you want employment with us, these are the training providers you need to use. That airline got very uncomfortable under that questioning and I would say they were embarrassed. Hopefully, they might exert some pressure soon and change the age thing at CTC. Moral and ethical trading I think is the term.

The other thing to bear in mind is that bad press clearly hurts airlines. I am not sure how comfortable the airlines and others will feel if CTC's entry requirements remain unchanged. Suppose CTC said, "white males only" - I have no doubt that any airline (certainly in the UK and other western countries) wouldn't associate themselves with CTC because it is against race relations law and also really bad PR, so what is in it for an airline to associate themselves with a training provider who discriminate on the ground of age. Also, rejecting people because of their ethnic origin is just ignorance of the highest order and no one can argue against that - well the same is true of age!

As BALPA says, age discrimination is a totally wasteful practice. There can be absolutely no justification for an arbitary age limit of 34. If airlines want the best people for the job then they have to get rid of their prejudices and seek to cast a recruitment net as wide as possible to seek the more able candidates. That means chosing training providers with no sexist, racist and ageist recruitment policies. Ultimately it reflects back at the airline in terms of PR but also in terms of an overall weakened quality of staff. It is just bad for business and profits if you employ staff based on unjustified and arbitary policies.

If you have a robust selection procedure then you can weed out unsuitable candidates on their ability and not age. Being cheeky now, a quick glance at the above replies suggests to me that me that a lot of you young types can't even do maths, so to use an argument for age discrimination, I would say that only those above 34 should be considered for CTC! Of course that argument is rubbish because you can't say that, in all cases, those under 34 are not suitable for training so why use that argument to exclude people over 34? In fact, my mom says that anybody (except girls) under the age of 30 should be barred from flying passenger jets. Her logic is that almost 60% of all road accidents (help me out on that stat BigMister) are caused by males under the age of 30; "if they can't drive a car what chance of them being able to fly a 737!"

I think the days of CTC's and others age discrimination policies are limited. If they don't change then I know the airlines will select other training providers because otherwise it will cost the airlines dearly.

BIG MISTER
2nd Oct 2006, 10:51
[QUOTE=1711;2883902]In fact, my mom says that anybody (except girls) under the age of 30 should be barred from flying passenger jets. Her logic is that almost 60% of all road accidents (help me out on that stat BigMister) are caused by males under the age of 30; "if they can't drive a car what chance of them being able to fly a 737!" QUOTE]

Sheela's Wheels moving into 737 insurance now ?

I always had problems with the 'young guys have more accidents than girls' national stats as in the 'real world' just as many girls have accidents as lads.

I would have said that in the past that this was possibly due to there being more gents behind the wheel than ladies but thats not the case these days.

I would suggest that the stats are starting to even out these days 'in the real world' but gawd knows where the insurance companies get their figures from. I mean they constantly tell us all on the TV that they can all save us 40% more than the other companied right ?

SO why is it that my 'trusty rusty' BMW 328 is £220 F.comp with one company and £450 F.comp with another ! ! !

Anyway we are off the subject matter - that happends when you are over 34 years old !!!! :}

- Drive safe - back to an aviation thread ! :ok:

m_flyer125
2nd Oct 2006, 16:55
Is anyone going to Dibden Manor for Phase 3 for the 18th October? Was wondering where people are stopping and when they're arriving. I'm flying to Southampton on the 17th and wondered if anyone wanted to share a taxi/car rental???

RS999
2nd Oct 2006, 21:44
Hey guys and girls.

Ive just booked myself in for stage 2 on the 13th October, really looking forward to it! Anyone else attending their stage two on that day? Ill be staying at the Stour Villa guest house and will be driving so if anyone wants a lift in the morning ill save you the cab fare ;)

I'm also booked in for the Stage 2 Assessments on the 13th October. I'm staying at the Rylstone Hotel in Bournemouth (West Cliff Road) but staying for 2 nights (12th and 13th) as I wasn't sure what time the assessments finished (for catching my flight back to Prestwick). It's not too bad though, b&b for 2 nights - £30 per night, return flight from PWK to BOH £28.

If you fancy meeting up for a yap on the 12th or 13th pm me :ok:

dragonfly6
2nd Oct 2006, 21:48
bra -
about ten places a month

squawk ident -
you do your PPL ground school in the class room with the ground instructor. That take about two months. You then do your ATPL's on the computer with the bristol ground school software, its very good - it takes you all the way through in steps. Online tests monitor your performance. this info is sent via interweb back to bristol, and they cover the deficiencies in the two weeks you mention prior to exams. You have to go into CTC to access the software althought they are making it available in the accomodation soon im told.

Captain_Hook
2nd Oct 2006, 22:11
I want to share my little experience...

First of all I would like to mention that I made it thru to stage 3, which I am going to attend on the 25th of October, without knowing pprune and I just realized what an useful source of informations it is, and I wanna contribute as well to help all of you guys wannabe pilots. :p

I failed my Stage 2 in March and been invited to resit stage 2 last week. I was there on the 25th of September, so anyone who was there please let me know whether u passed or not. Before starting me and the guys "ironically" asked if we could resit one more time in case we would gate close to pass, and the lady there (don't know her name, my bad) said we've been very lucky to be invited back, because now the policy of the company has changed and they're not inviting applicants back for reassessments!! :confused: :\

I know this will sound like a big disappointment to many of you who still have to go thru Stage 2, but before setting the alarm I would like to verify facts! Has anyone of you attended Stage 2 over the past 2/3 weeks and been given the chance to resit in 6 months time? Or did anyone of the CTC team mention this possibility when you attended stage 2? (they did when I attended first time)

Also, was she referring just to stage 2 or to all the stages of the selection process? So, same question to anyone who has recently gone thru stage 3 or 4 and failed... have you guys been invited for a resit?

Let's try to make this clear as soon as possible!! :ok:

Best luck to all of you going thru the selection process!!!

Hook

Infje
2nd Oct 2006, 22:11
Is anyone going to Dibden Manor for Phase 3 for the 18th October? Was wondering where people are stopping and when they're arriving. I'm flying to Southampton on the 17th and wondered if anyone wanted to share a taxi/car rental???

I'm there, think I'll be driving down tho. I'd offer to pick you up but I won't get there until late on the 17th (11-ish).

DXman
2nd Oct 2006, 22:54
Hi guys,

I've got couple of questions about phase 4!

1 / Is the sim full motion or just fixed-based?
2 / What's the aircraft simulated?
3 / What to expect from the sim assessment for someone with few hours after PPL(A)?

MP me !
Cheers!
DXman

The Mixmaster
3rd Oct 2006, 01:02
I'm not sure what the policy is for stage 2 but, having taken Stage 3 on 12th September, I've been invited back in 6 months time for reassessment so I guess she was just referring to a change in company policy to Stage 2.

riccioenzo
3rd Oct 2006, 10:22
Hey, would love to hear from anyone doing stage 2 on this date. Where are you flying/driving in from? Where will you be staying, all that practical stuff... Would be great to meet up for a drink the night before.

Enzo Riccio
Paris
[email protected]

Bigaircraft
3rd Oct 2006, 12:20
Anyone got stage 4 this thrusday (5th)? :}

Delta452
3rd Oct 2006, 13:24
Enzo, check ur PMs

raza boy
3rd Oct 2006, 13:51
Hey,
Im attending stage 2 6th October flying from Prestwick on the Thursday afternoon staying at the avon anyone attending fancy meeting up get in touch.

Cheers

Raza Boy :O

flying_tyger
3rd Oct 2006, 14:12
How long from submitting your application forms to hearing from CTC take?
I'm just teetering on the edge of submitting my application!

Bigaircraft
3rd Oct 2006, 14:24

Not that long I don't think, I heard after a couple of days, might be more, might be less, they won't keep you waiting for weeks. Good luck mate :ok:

Delta452
3rd Oct 2006, 14:27
I think for me it was around 10 days, and that included CTC emailing me because they couldnt read my handwritting on my written form

RS999
3rd Oct 2006, 15:47

It took CTC 6 weeks to get back to me after submitting my application. Now on stage 2 on 13th October

RS999
3rd Oct 2006, 15:52
Hey, would love to hear from anyone doing stage 2 on this date. Where are you flying/driving in from? Where will you be staying, all that practical stuff... Would be great to meet up for a drink the night before.

Enzo Riccio
Paris
[email protected]

Hi mate

I'm booked in for stage 2 on 13th. Flying to BOH on 12th. Staying at Rylstone Hotel on 12th & 13th then flying home to PIK on 14th. Would be good to meet up on the 12th. Delta452 is also interested in meeting up then too.

:D:D:ok::ok:

Bigaircraft
3rd Oct 2006, 16:14
I think for me it was around 10 days, and that included CTC emailing me because they couldnt read my handwritting on my written form

That happened to me too! I thought it was good of them, considering they could have just thrown our applications in the bin. :O

Bigaircraft
3rd Oct 2006, 16:19
It took CTC 6 weeks to get back to me after submitting my application. Now on stage 2 on 13th October

Very well, I stand corrected about not having to wait weeks! :oh: just shows that that you never really can tell.

Delta452
3rd Oct 2006, 16:52
my thoughts exactly BigAC. Ive heard nothing but compliments for the CTC staff to be fair, everyone has said from communicating before hand to the actual stages the staff have been really friendly and helpful... makes going to the next stage all the more eagerly (sp) antisipating

Bigaircraft
4th Oct 2006, 00:02
Right, this is the last time I'll be on pprune until stage 4 on thrusday, really really nervous! Anyone esle who is going to be there on that date I'll see you there. Good luck to all whatever stage your at ;)

sam109
5th Oct 2006, 09:07
Dear CP43ers,
Where are you planning to stay on the 25th?? I guess we should stay at the same place with the guests! What about Dalefarmhouse? Hear from you ...
I still have to settle alot of things! Don't know from where to start!
Hope you are settled and done!
Take care
Sam

glasgowfly
5th Oct 2006, 11:08
Dear CP43ers,
Where are you planning to stay on the 25th?? I guess we should stay at the same place with the guests! What about Dalefarmhouse? Hear from you ...
I still have to settle alot of things! Don't know from where to start!
Hope you are settled and done!
Take care
Sam

CP43ers, myself and the fellow CP42ers are in Singapore right now. We'll see you out in New Zealand soon!!

riccioenzo
5th Oct 2006, 11:20
Had to change my stage 2 from 13 to 20...
would love to hear from anyone doing stage 2 on this date. Where are you flying/driving in from? Where will you be staying, all that practical stuff... Would be great to meet up for a drink the night before.

Enzo Riccio
Paris
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?emailimage=ba83b822fdf175d699da35b0d8c322c6

sam109
5th Oct 2006, 12:04
HHHEEEYYY CP42ers!!

That's cool!!! I'm jealous! hahah still have to settle down alot of papers! insurance, bank, disclosure!! Hassle :) BUT it's the best hassel I have ever had in my life and the best I will ever have I guess!:)

Enjoy eh!!! Keep us informed!

How was the flight from Heathrow? Long enough?

Take care! Cya soon! 26 days to go!!!!

Sam

Frank Plummer
5th Oct 2006, 13:10
Hey folks,

New here, just found this post. Been reading a lot of it, but I got some questions.

I myself have NO flying time whatsoever, never been in the cockpit of a real aircraft, let alone fly one. If it helps at all, I am very confident flying on VATSIM (hehe, I know!) in light aircraft. I am thinking about applying for the CTC Wings "Cadets" program. Having read a lot of information about it, I managed to gather you pay around about £165 for the selection phase, and then afterwards, the airline that want you pay for your training.

Am I right in saying that, or has it changed?

Tiger_ Moth
5th Oct 2006, 15:58
Well done Reach! I am excited for you!

I know this has been a bit done to death, but as someone who has stage 3 very soon would you mind posting what it entailed and what you think they were looking for?

Do they still have the desert island scenario and the lego one?
Is the interview mainly based around you personally, with only limited questions on the industry and partner airlines?

Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks

dahawg123
5th Oct 2006, 23:36
As a current CTC cadet can I please ask that people stop spilling their guts about the selection procedure? CTC have a great deal of trouble with people doing this as they are constantly required to change the selection procedures to avoid substandard people getting through.

Now I know you are only trying to help fellow aspiring CTCers but the best way to do this is to let the selection do its job!!! There is no point in faking it if you arent going to cope out here in NZ.

Also, be aware that CTC read this forum and are not impressed. If you do something like use your own name for your pprune ID then they will hold you to account for what you say. So just be aware.

Here endeth the lesson.

robtherower
6th Oct 2006, 10:45
Edited 6/10/6: I see now that one of the offending posts has been deleted - good call, and therefore - rant removed.

Good luck to all those applying

BobbyK
6th Oct 2006, 13:45
Hi Enzo,

Im going for stage 2 on the 20th too but im driving down on the morning, an early start for me! Just hope the traffic isnt too bad!

NickS
6th Oct 2006, 13:47
CTC have a great deal of trouble with people doing this as they are constantly required to change the selection procedures to avoid substandard people getting through.

Are substandard people getting through, or are they just upset to be changing selection procedures?

raza boy
6th Oct 2006, 18:19
Hey,

Anyone outthere still waiting on results from todays stage 2?

Raza boy :ugh:

Bigaircraft
6th Oct 2006, 22:38
passed phase 4! woo!:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

iamtheone
7th Oct 2006, 08:39
Well done big aircraft! Awesome feeling isnt it? See you out there!

Bigaircraft
7th Oct 2006, 15:48
Well done big aircraft! Awesome feeling isnt it? See you out there!

your telling me it is! the facts haven't sunk in yet, too much to take it! don't know which CP I'm on yet, hoping to find out in the next few days! ;)

SA242
7th Oct 2006, 15:54
passed phase 4! woo!:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Hi Bigaircraft, well done there! :ok: check your pm's,

rgds

SA242

sam109
7th Oct 2006, 16:52
Well done bigaircraft! I know the feeling :) :) :) It's great!
Will definately meet in NZ!!
I'm off in 25 days!

Wing_Bound_Vortex
7th Oct 2006, 22:27
Guys, and esp. dahawg123,

Wouldn't worry about CTC having problems with people knowing what goes on in the selection, it still comes down to how you do on the day, and CTC are smart enough to understand and see through the prep you've done beforehand.

You get various types of people getting through, it's quite interesting to look at the guys that have made it as they seem to fall into two distinct personality types ( guys who's been through it all will understand what i mean! ) CTC know the type of people they want, and they will either spot that in you or not, you can't worry about it too much.

PS faking it and NZ isn't the problem, NZ on the whole is good fun and really not too challenging, it's when you get back to the UK that it really starts winding up, all still good fun but a lot harder work!

WBV

Roo Boy
8th Oct 2006, 03:19
Hi Guys, a huge congrats to those who have recently passed phase 4.

I passed in June and will be Joining the CP41 short course on October 27th. Is anyone else out there flying to NZ on the 27th????????

JAW656
8th Oct 2006, 07:26
Hi raza boy

I got my stage 2 result that evening, im going down for stage 3 on november 8th.

:}

geturwingover
8th Oct 2006, 11:42
I find it interesting that a current cadet is telling people not to talk about the selection! There is nothing you can gain from this thread that you wouldn’t from preparing for any competency based selection process, whether for a pilot cadetship or a marketing grad scheme, for example.
Pprune has been around for years, I first heard about it back when I was sitting in the old BA office waiting for my first round selection for their cadet scheme. How many CTC applicants and current cadets do you think found out about the scheme or chose to apply based on info from this very site? Quite a few I would imagine.
Secondly, CTC can't condemn preparation, as they themselves prepare cadets when they have interviews for airlines, and in the case of one airline, the have some very intimate knowledge when it comes to selection!
Thirdly, I don't think the selection has had any significant changes since its conception; the beauty of competency and teamwork based interviews is that it is based on intuitive action, and any amount of preparation can't completely conceal the actions and responses you will make in the interview stage. I have been on both sides of the fence for this type pf selection with other organisations, and trust me, it is very effective. So talk about what you like as far as I'm concerned!!
More interesting was the comment from Wing Bound Vortex about 2 distinctive types of personality on the scheme. I actually hadn't such a clear distinction, however it wouldn’t surprise me, the last company I worked for had exactly that, with a similar selection process. The basis for the distinction there was mostly on their attitude toward the company and scheme, some defined themselves on their position in the company on a prestigious scheme, and therefore developed quite arrogant tendencies, and some were just happy to be there. I wouldn’t be surprised if a similar thing was present in CTC.
The only comment I would make about this thread is that all you guys thinking about applying or who are in the selection are much more concerned about getting in than getting more details on the scheme. There are A LOT of cadets on here at various levels of training and in the airlines, who would be happy to give you very honest answers on what goes on in NZ and in the UK, job prospects, etc. So use the resource!
Try reading this for starters.http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239054&page=4

Rj111
8th Oct 2006, 16:03
Hi people, i'm new here. I've been invited to stage two, though haven't booked yet.

I hear it's a seminar an interview and an aptitude test.

What is the interview like?

I've never had a proper job interview before so i'm quite curious. Do they ask some awkward, put-you-on-the-spot questions. Or is it more of a amicable just getting to know you type thing?

I'm very enthusiastic about the program so i figure i just need to get that message across.

jet2us
8th Oct 2006, 20:39
I know this question has probably been answered hundreds of times and if someone has a link to the section where I can find the answer it would be great, but can anyone give me a brief inside into the tech part of assesment? Am I right in saying there is only a 15 questions in 15 minutes maths section? Or is there Physics as well?

If so can anyone give me rough outline of what I should be brushing up on.

OAT selection has both and just wondered how it differs?

Cheers,

PS Well done to all those just got through - Hope NZ goes well!!:ok:

casino335
9th Oct 2006, 00:23
Hi,

Is it true that CTC has just changed its policy on not inviting applicants back for stage 2 resists? - to be honest, if it has, i kinda think it's a good move as they would now be just testing for innate ability rather than familiarity (i've had 3 cracks at pilapt, and many goes at the pilapt-prep which is a nice program, and i've improved my scores upon each attempt: i'm still useless thou:E). Also, the info on here regarding stage 2, is a massive give-away as to what you are going to face :)(i sorta feel i've sat stage 2 even thou i haven't applied yet:O).

i've been through all 70 odd pages of this forum and i can't find out how many people CTC take on yearly for their cadet scheme, except something on the pass rate being horrific like 3% :uhoh::uhoh:: anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

Tall Boy
9th Oct 2006, 15:05
Well, now it's up to approximately ten cadets per CP and the CPs are pretty much sent out monthly i'm going to say about 120. Don't take this to mean that 120 people have been training over the last year - the CPs were significantly smaller up until CP 34, generally six per CP IIRC... :D

BitMoreRightRudder
9th Oct 2006, 16:35
WBV only two categories?! :}

And as for comments made by the "current cadet" I'll echo WBV and mr wingover - absolute rubbish. This thread is here to help those going to selection and its continued growth and popularity is testament to the fact that it is doing just that - helping applicants understand some of the process before actually attending a stage 2/3/4 day. If you don't meet the standard you don't get a place on the scheme. If you do get a place on the scheme you still may not make it all the way to an airline job, it has nothing to do with people 'faking' selection.

It isn't the first thread on the Wings scheme either, there was a similar one that spanned the first couple of years of the scheme's existence and it contained masses of info that helped all those applying. This thread is the continuation and it is just another form of research for those applying. It's about helping your fellow potential aviator; I received plenty of help from various posters when I was applying a few years ago, and I hope I might have given some useful advice to those who have PM'd me asking about the scheme since I finished it.

Thats what pprune is for!

Wing_Bound_Vortex
9th Oct 2006, 17:58
Yeah i'd say there were generally two sort of personality types, with the odd exception of course!

And you were always a special case old boy.........:}

Ditto the coments by BMRR and Wingover, preparation is the name of the game and helping a fellow potential aviator is just good manners and expected.

WBV

JAW656
9th Oct 2006, 18:41
Hello

Im going for stage 3 on the 8th. Ive trawled through all these pages many'a time but the timetable of what happens on stage 3 varies with different posts. I was wondering if anyone thats been down recently can provide me with some sort of idea as to the days organisation. Please :}

Cheers in advance :ok:

speedtapeking
10th Oct 2006, 10:04
hi guys n gals

With the new age discrimination coming in, how do CTC go on with there restriction of being less than 34 now stand ? do they have to remove this ? Or will it just mean that all those over 34 automatically will fail before they finish all the tests?

Deano777
10th Oct 2006, 10:15
Simple

They are a training organisation, they are not employing you, so they can set whatever criteria they like

This has been answered on here a few times before

Streety
10th Oct 2006, 18:55
Deano,

Sorry, but you're incorrect. The regulations apply to providers of vocational training courses as much as they do to employers.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/discrimination/age-discrimination/page26492.html

Regards,

Streety

casino335
10th Oct 2006, 19:45
Hi,

From my understanding, the new age discrimination laws mean that age cannot be taken into consideration when hiring, training or promoting people (i guess within reason). I suppose, if you argued that CTC is solely a training organisation and not technically an employer, and thus somehow exempt from the law, then i guess you would have to turn to easyjet (for example) who is involved indirectly with CTC and who do discriminate on age on their website (just a thought).

Whether age discrimination is a good thing or not, it's law and a fact of life now........ho hum:bored:

Anyway, enough gloom....has anyone heard of CTC not inviting applicants back for stage 2 resists (something to do with a change in policy)?:E

Tiger_ Moth
10th Oct 2006, 22:22
When I went to my stage 2 a few weeks ago CTC said they are not allowing resits. I don't know why, but they definitely aren't.

FlyingSpanner
11th Oct 2006, 07:30
Hi Guys,

I realise this has been covered before but I cannot seem to find it in the thread and was wondering if someone knows or can point out the pass rates for the various sections of the selection process.

I have managed to make it through to phase 3 and was wondering how many people fail at each section of the phases.

Thanks in advance.

Spanner :ok:

Bigaircraft
11th Oct 2006, 15:22
Hi Guys,

I realise this has been covered before but I cannot seem to find it in the thread and was wondering if someone knows or can point out the pass rates for the various sections of the selection process.

I have managed to make it through to phase 3 and was wondering how many people fail at each section of the phases.

Thanks in advance.

Spanner :ok:

Hi, I'm not able to back this up but it is to my understanding that the pass rate of phase 3 is around 50 tp 60%, and the pass rate of phase 4 is around 85%

good odds eh? ha ha, although odds really dont have anything to do with it, its all down to you! well done on getting to phase 3 :ok: and good luck!

Bizjets
12th Oct 2006, 08:10
Hello,

Any chance to get more information about the interview at EGHH - Phase 2 ?
Is that only an interview or are there some tests too ?

Thanks, see you later !
Biz :)

Sky Wave
12th Oct 2006, 08:50
Bizjets

Suggest you read through all 1447 posts of this thread.

Phase 2 is not an interview.

SW

Reverand Lovejoy
12th Oct 2006, 09:16
To the best of my knowledge (which is limited on a good day),

Stage 1a - Application. Fill in online, wait a while. This one is simple (for CTC to select) as you either make the grade on paper or dont. Pass rate way up in the 70's I would guess. Probaly higher bearing in mind if you dont make the advertised standard then why apply?

Stage 1b - 4 questions sent to you and you have to hand write the answers and fax them back. A bit more tricky to analyse but still a relatively high pass rate.

Stage 2 - Computer based tests in the form of PILAPT software, then a maths test (could be in a different order). Figures are compared against roughly 2500 other pilots scores and then you are given a risk banding for training. I got a low risk for training but I know people in NZ that had Medium-low with no problems. Pass mark is about 20% and a new rule says no opportunity of a resit.

Stage 3 - 2 group excercises and an interview. Pass mark here has been quoted as 50-60% but I failed it first time round and passed the resit so not sure on the overall pass rate. You can be offered a retake but by invitation only and you must be close to the cut-off. CTC make it quite clear if you were close to this or not.

Stage 4 - FLight Breifing and Sim ride. Roughly 85% pass mark and a damn good day. You can be given a resit here if by invitation and you will find out the result by telephone call from someone at CTC.

Stage 5 - Not officially a stage but in my eyes is probaly the biggest hurdle. You get about 1000 things to sort out before you leave in terms of administration and paperwork, medicals, bloodtests, being measured for uniform, opening up bank accounts with specific banks at specific branches, insurance ect. Pass rate for this stage has to be somewhere in the low1% as it is a nightmare. DB at CTC will help though, she is an admin genius, which is good really as I very rarely have a clue as to what is going on :sad:

dahawg123
12th Oct 2006, 10:48
Wing Bound Vortex et al,

I see your point but I am sure you will agree that some of the posts on here go past mere preparation. I am 100% sure that everybody who applies to CTC prepares themselves in some way, shape or form, but being spoon fed the exact rota for each selection stage seems a little beyond that.

It is indeed true that CTC read and are interested in what goes on here, the subject of prune has come up in a number of staff-cadet meetings and the tone has generally been one of derision, prune generally being populated by bitter people (are you reading this, anyone from OAT ;) - just kidding before the flame war starts!) and wild speculation regarding the selection proceedure.

Erm...anyway...back onto what I was originally saying, by all means help fellow cadets out, but somethings are best left to initiative. My own personal top tips are:

Stage 2:

Cant really practice for the PILAPT, except maybe a bit of flight sim? Practice some mental arithmetic for the test.

Stage 3:

Read up on partner airlines and be damn sure you know why you want to become a pilot!!! For the team exercises, be yourself.

Stage 4:

Relax, listen and enjoy!

And to finish, someone a few pages back asked if substandard people are getting in, well far be it for me to comment if anyone is substandard (I got in somehow!) but my point remains that the CTC selection is there for a reason, it is well designed, isnt there to catch you out and is very effective!

wildweasel81
12th Oct 2006, 12:01
(are you reading this, anyone from OAT ;) - just kidding before the flame war starts!)

Are you proud of that comment? Being honest, out of 10 what would you give yourself for maturity, for that comment?

...my point remains that the CTC selection is there for a reason, it is well designed, isnt there to catch you out and is very effective!

Eh... it is. The whole point of selection is to select the people who will make it through training and to catch out those who won't. :ugh:

It is not rocket science.

Bigaircraft
12th Oct 2006, 12:22
Stage 5 - Not officially a stage but in my eyes is probaly the biggest hurdle. You get about 1000 things to sort out before you leave in terms of administration and paperwork, medicals, bloodtests, being measured for uniform, opening up bank accounts with specific banks at specific branches, insurance ect. Pass rate for this stage has to be somewhere in the low1% as it is a nightmare. DB at CTC will help though, she is an admin genius, which is good really as I very rarely have a clue as to what is going on :sad:

I know what you mean, I'm wrestling with the bank as we speak. DB's on holiday though so I'm on my own for a bit! 1%? god i hope not ha ha!

bjkeates
12th Oct 2006, 12:45
Are you proud of that comment? Being honest, out of 10 what would you give yourself for maturity, for that comment?

Actually, wildweasel81, knowing dahawg123 I would rate him 10 out of 10 in terms of maturity. Can you really not take a joke (which it obviously was)? I think the point he has tried to put across in his last few posts about posting too much is actually very valid, and one you might not necessarily appreciate until you're actually out here. I know I didn't at first (yes, I've endured the endless mickey-taking from others out here about posting from aboard SQ321 on the Boeing Connexion service - you learn the hard way sometimes!), but I certainly do now.

Eh... it is. The whole point of selection is to select the people who will make it through training and to catch out those who won't. :ugh:
It is not rocket science.

I would agree that, in my experience, the selection process is designed such that it will prevent people who aren't up to the standard from getting through and on to the course; at the same time, however, I do agree that posting intricate details of everything that happens on a selection day is possibly giving some people an unfair advantage. No matter how rigorous the selection is and how diligent and informed the selection team are with what they require, if people can actively prepare for something specific that they've been told on here and are able to offer an account of themselves which may not completely reflect the "real thing", besides giving a misleading impression they are also putting themselves at a fair amount of risk. The selection process is there for a reason, i.e. to filter out candidates who are not suitable. If unsuitable candidates manage to give a false impression going on intricate details they've learned from this forum and get on to the course, they are honestly doing themselves no favours and are merely devaluing the selection process for everyone else. It's not a question of rocket science, it's merely a question of common sense.

I would be lying if I said I didn't read PPrune before I went to selection and tried to pick up as much as I could; I also am willing to offer a certain amount of advice in the same way that dahawg123 did above and also with things such as travel arrangements and accommodation for the selection days, and also what things are like out here in NZ. I don't see anything wrong with that and I appreciate the views about "helping fellow potential aviators" as people have mentioned earlier. I do think, however, that posting every single little intricate detail about every selection day is going too far and in some ways defeats the whole point of it.

scroggs
12th Oct 2006, 13:11
Too much detail is a waste of time. I have been involved in recruiting in many ways, including interviewing wannabe pilots, for many years. I could tell you every question I have ever asked (if i could remember them), every test I've employed, and every indirect selection procedure I've sneakily adopted, and the same people would fail as would if that information was never available.

There are no 'right' answers to interview questions other than name, age and address. All else is negotiable, and it will be your attitude and the thought that goes into your replies that will determine whether the interviewer thinks you are worth investing in or not.

Aptitude tests evolve and develop, but it's fairly easy to spot those who've had some practice. Many aptitude tests are intended to measure (or at least indicate) your ability to learn and improve. Not much scope for that if you've spent several days and nights practising the tests!

Group exercises and discussions are constructed to watch you as part of, or leading, a team. We look at your overall character, your response to provocation and pressure, a sense of responsibility, evidence of some thought going into your actions, and an awareness of the consequences on others of the course you choose to take.

Inevitably, the vast majority of wannabes are young. You are inexperienced at life, and your responses to inputs are rarely polished or complete. That is taken into account; if FTOs were looking for fully-rounded, mature individuals, no-one under 35 would get a look in - and with the new legislation in place, that's a possibility!

You cannot learn to pass these selection procedures. If a little bit of information helps offset the unfamiliarity of the situation and gives you a little bit of an extra confidence boost, that's fine. But you will be seen through if you are a bulls*tter, cocky, arrogant, know-it-all, or in any other way demonstrably unsuitable for our field. That doesn't mean the selection procedure can't make mistakes; it can - and you will meet the results of those mistakes throughout your careers. But it's still a very good filter (in most companies and FTOs), and it will see through those who've inappropriately over-prepared.

Scroggs

wildweasel81
13th Oct 2006, 10:42
I'd also add that when a candidate does a PILAPT/COMPASS test they achieve the score that they are capable of - however, even if they had another go or more practise, theoretically they can only ever improve by one point. So in that regard, you either have 'it' or not.

And as scroggs said, if you're an arrogant tw*t then it's very difficult to hide - most people like that don't see anything wrong with themselves!

Also, I can take a joke, but, the CTC vs OAT slagging match is quite immature and unprofessional - and usually only continued by those who are either wanting to get on the courses or have been denied a place. I would have expected a cadet to rise above that kind of stuff. I know it's supposed to be a joke but there's no smoke without fire...

Rj111
13th Oct 2006, 12:40
I have practised a few apptitude tests recently to determine if i was actually capable or not before i spent 176 odd on stage 2. Judging by that i have decided to give it a go but will this now effect my scope to 'learn' within the assessment? :(

Troy McClure
13th Oct 2006, 13:53
On the couple of tests where it gave a score and said you had to improve each time, on one I dropped a point on the second attempt, and on the other I got the same score each time.

I passed.

If you're not so good but show improvement, you may pass. If you score highly throughout, you're bound to pass, so do the best you can.

Delta452
13th Oct 2006, 14:52
Well Ive just returned home from stage 2 this morning to an email confirming Ive passed stage 2 and Im invited to stage 3 on the 25th :} :} :}

Anyone else from my group heard anything back yet? I was the big bloke wearing the blue shirt and maroon tie.

Johnny1981
13th Oct 2006, 18:35
Well Ive just returned home from stage 2 this morning to an email confirming Ive passed stage 2 and Im invited to stage 3 on the 25th :} :} :}

Anyone else from my group heard anything back yet? I was the big bloke wearing the blue shirt and maroon tie.

I was the one that spilt your water....got invited to phase 3 on the 25th as well...well done for getting through and see you there!! :ok:

Bizjets
14th Oct 2006, 09:08
Great, thank you all for your kind replies :)
See you !
BizJets

RS999
14th Oct 2006, 20:01
Well I've just arrived back home after my stage 2 assessments yesterday. Looked at my emails a wee while ago and didn't pass. I'm unbelievably disappointed especially now that there is no resit opportunity at this stage. Can you apply again?

CTC are sending me feedback within the next month so I'll have to wait and see what they say (not sure if it'll make a lot of difference though).

Anyone know of any other FTO's running sponsorship schemes just now?:( Especially any who have an age limit up to 30ish yrs old (I'm 29 in January)

Delta452
15th Oct 2006, 01:56
RS999,

Commiserations mate, I truelly am upset that you didnt make it through.

As far as I am aware there are a few other organisations that offer training for wannabe pilots, check ur PMs.

Johnny1981
16th Oct 2006, 08:20
Well I've just arrived back home after my stage 2 assessments yesterday. Looked at my emails a wee while ago and didn't pass. I'm unbelievably disappointed especially now that there is no resit opportunity at this stage. Can you apply again?

CTC are sending me feedback within the next month so I'll have to wait and see what they say (not sure if it'll make a lot of difference though).

Anyone know of any other FTO's running sponsorship schemes just now?:( Especially any who have an age limit up to 30ish yrs old (I'm 29 in January)

Sorry to hear you didn't get through...hopefully you'll get another go or find another route

Cheers

sam109
16th Oct 2006, 12:26
Hi Mike! I guess you are on the CP43 as well! Please check your PM's

jeffspideyman
16th Oct 2006, 13:46
oooo, it's short notice...I'm going for stage 3 on the 18th October (2 days)...Is anyone out there who is also going from London in the wee hours of wednesday morning...driving, or training /taxiing who needs their petrol/taxi costs halved. I do have a bumper pack of confectionary...we could play guess the revels.
Ta.

NickS
17th Oct 2006, 10:46
Has anyone else got stage 3 on the 25th? I'm driving down from Leeds the day before. If anyone wants to share petrol costs from somewhere along the M1, let me know.

flyhiguy28
18th Oct 2006, 10:34
Hi everyone,

I've got Phase 2 on the 27th, anyone else on here going to that one?

Any top tips from people who've done this before would be great.

Cheers,

Smudge

STOOP
18th Oct 2006, 20:41
Hello, I'm new on this forum. I've been invited to phase two for CTC in a month. I'm sorry if this has been done to death but i was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to expect when i'm down there? What i should be studying for etc and just any general information from any of you guys who might have been there recently? Is the pass rate into phase two really high in order to make money from applicants or is it a genuine achievement to be asked down? Really appreciate any advice you could give me. Cheers. :) :ok:

akindofmagic
19th Oct 2006, 03:35
I would suggest that you read this thread. Myself and many others have at various times posted information about all phases of the selection process. Use the search function if you can't find the time to read the whole thread.

bjkeates
19th Oct 2006, 07:39
Not wanting to sound rude here, but phrases like...

Any top tips from people who've done this before would be great.

I'm sorry if this has been done to death but i was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to expect when i'm down there?

...are too vague to answer properly.

There are countless pages and posts on this thread which deal with exactly these things. It has, as STOOP puts it, been done to death. What sort of "general information" are you after? If it's information about travel arrangements, arriving at the centre, where to stay etc. then I'm quite happy to help. But asking for general "top tips" is very difficult to answer - what kind of answers were you expecting? Read this thread in its entirety and if you still have any specific questions after that, feel free to ask (can't absolutely guarantee they'll be answered, but feel free to ask anyway! :))

My personal opinion - and I stress, it is my opinion - is that there is very little you can do to prepare for Phase 2 other than have a good night's sleep beforehand and make sure you look smart and presentable (everyone else will be.)

m_flyer125
19th Oct 2006, 12:27
hey, wondered how people got on in phase 3 yesterday. just got the email and i passed so am very very happy to say the least!
does anyone know a nice place to stop in Bournemouth? the hotel i stopped at in phase 2 wasn't too good.

Infje
19th Oct 2006, 12:53
Got through as well, over the moon!

Because I'm away next week my phase 4 will be on the 2nd of November, anyone else going then?

I can recommend Stour Villa (its on the list), very friendly people and good accomodation.

Flik Roll
19th Oct 2006, 14:29
I spent the best part of yesterday trying to fax of the handwritten part of the CTC inital application only to be met by a constant engaged tone. I don't have easy access to a fax machine, so was wondering if anyone has a snail mail address I can send it to or an alternative fax number? Or even a phone number I can call to let them know thieir fax is playing up...

Cheers,
Flik :}

SA242
19th Oct 2006, 16:04
I spent the best part of yesterday trying to fax of the handwritten part of the CTC inital application only to be met by a constant engaged tone. I don't have easy access to a fax machine, so was wondering if anyone has a snail mail address I can send it to or an alternative fax number? Or even a phone number I can call to let them know thieir fax is playing up...
Cheers,
Flik :}

Hi Flik,

try this link: http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/wingscontact.html

or the email: [email protected]

rgds

SA242

Flik Roll
19th Oct 2006, 16:28
Muchos gracias! :cool:

Delta452
19th Oct 2006, 16:58
fao anyone doing their stage 3 on the 25th Im booked into stay at the Lyndhurst hotel so if anyone is in the area on the 24th and fancies a chat over a cold one feel free to drop me a pm ;)

BobbyK
20th Oct 2006, 15:05
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone on here was at todays (20th Oct) Phase 2 and how they got on? Im through to stage 3 on the 15th november - anyone else got that date?

Rob

Bra
20th Oct 2006, 17:54
Exactly how many costs do you incur during the scheme?

By this I mean things that are not added onto a bond/lone, but actual things you have to fork out for yourself.

Best,
Bra

Tiger_ Moth
21st Oct 2006, 10:02
You only have to pay for your food and drink. Also you are given a car and a minibus between a few of you in NZ and you have to pay for its petrol. You will also have to pay for a Class 1 medical if you don't have one.

We were advised that we might need £6 -£8K a year for living expenses and that £6K might be a bit spartan.

concordski
21st Oct 2006, 10:18
fax machines?!? application form part 0.1 is devising somewhere to find a fax machine!

extra costs? travel to all three stages, phonecalls and postage while you do all the forms, transport to the airport when you go, stopover in singapore, medical insurance, travel insurance, loss of earnings, 00's worth it must be.

when you're there don't kid yourself - it will add up.

apparently if you spend any more time studying after A-Levels in a lifetime you'll also be down on your basic pension contributions (geared from when the government thinks you should start work) and have to make up the shortfall over the course...another expense then.

JAW656
21st Oct 2006, 10:23
Hello

Im probably going to be stopping the night of the 7th Nov in the dale farm house B&B, anyone else going to be stopping there?

:ok:

Captain Spam Can
21st Oct 2006, 15:55
I tried the CTC selection around 3-4 years ago but failed at stage 2. I would really like to give it another shot but i never did recive that email inviting me to back for re-assesmnt. I have just logged in an all my details are still there and i updated everything however i couldnt re-send it. I was thinking of emailing them to ask if i could re-apply but after reading the FAQ's its says that if you dont get the email inviting you back its tough #### basically. Has anyone had any success sending them an email asking to re-apply seen as it was years ago or is it a hard and fast rule that if you dont through first time dont bother again? (before any asks i tried the search, but my eyes started glazing over as there are so many pages :\ )

jb5000
21st Oct 2006, 23:24
Just email them. What's the worst that could happen?

dahawg123
22nd Oct 2006, 00:57
I failed at stage 1 about 4 years ago and was in the same position as you. I emailed them to ask to be allowed to reapply, and four months later i was out here in New Zealand! Go for it!

SA242
22nd Oct 2006, 06:48
You only have to pay for your food and drink. Also you are given a car and a minibus between a few of you in NZ and you have to pay for its petrol. You will also have to pay for a Class 1 medical if you don't have one.
We were advised that we might need £6 -£8K a year for living expenses and that £6K might be a bit spartan.

Where does this £6-8000 come from? Just wondering if the money is apportioned from the loan taken out at the beginning of the course?

rgds

SA242

NickS
22nd Oct 2006, 08:34
From the FAQs on the CTC website:

"How can I pay for my living expenses?
If necessary, the bank will be prepared (subject to applicant suitability) to loan money for living expenses during training, up to approximately £5,000 per year."

Don't forget you'll need to pay for the foundation course on top.

SA242
22nd Oct 2006, 16:10
From the FAQs on the CTC website:

"How can I pay for my living expenses?
If necessary, the bank will be prepared (subject to applicant suitability) to loan money for living expenses during training, up to approximately £5,000 per year."

Don't forget you'll need to pay for the foundation course on top.

Ok I see, thanks for pointing that out. Its been one of those questions which hadn't really occurred to me until now. If you have previous experience they will refund the balance of the foundation course that you have already completed.

Flik Roll
22nd Oct 2006, 17:09
fax machines?!? application form part 0.1 is devising somewhere to find a fax machine!

Well, I found a fax machine... tried AGAIN on Friday but got the 'engaged' caption on again all day.
Have emailed using the address and online form... but no response (since Weds and Fri).
Is there no snail mail address? The phone number is a SOTON one.

Dude~
22nd Oct 2006, 19:05
Damm fax machine still engaged...:suspect:

FiiS
22nd Oct 2006, 19:11
Lasts a nerve wracking two hours or so!! Enjoy!

man T2
22nd Oct 2006, 20:46
Hi everyone,
I am currently studying my A-levels in Statistical maths, Physics and French. I have 9 GCSE's at A*-C. I have come to the point where I need to make the decision whether to go to uni to study what probably would be French. Providing I get all B's in my A-levels (which I am on course to do) will a degree in French really be an advantage when applying to 'ctc wings'. I feel that doing a degree would just be a waste of time and money, and I would be much better off just applying to ctc without a degree but good A-levels.
Should I go on and do a degree, or just apply straight away once I have completed my A-levels. Some help please!

Tiger_ Moth
22nd Oct 2006, 23:29
For people who have a fair amount of flying experience and who therefore only need the short foundation course the deal is quite helpful.

This is because everyone has to pay for the long foundation course regardless of experience. The hours not used are then refunded back to you at the end of the foundation course.

This means that those with lots of flying experience get most of the foundation course fees back and these can then be used to help with living expenses.

Flik Roll
23rd Oct 2006, 14:33
Fax machine is apparently back up and running :ok:

With the foundation course, am I correct in thinking that it also encompasses aspects other than just getting a PPL? I already have a PPL at total time of around 300hrs now (Inc. 100+ SLMG and 100+ Military EFT and flying), I imagine if I *did* get selected (In the big hypothetical world!) I would do the short course, but was exactly does it involve?

Cheers in advance,

Flik
:ok:

Tiger_ Moth
23rd Oct 2006, 15:29
Flik,

As I understand it, for someone in your position the short course would probably involve little more than familiarisation with the plane you will be flying (Katanas or Alpha 160s) and a few navexes to get accustomed to the local area and procedures. This might only take 5- 10 hours so you would get the rest (Full course is 67 hours) refunded back.
You only use the hours they feel you need.

spaceman18
23rd Oct 2006, 23:49
Hi everyone,
I am currently studying my A-levels in Statistical maths, Physics and French. I have 9 GCSE's at A*-C. I have come to the point where I need to make the decision whether to go to uni to study what probably would be French. Providing I get all B's in my A-levels (which I am on course to do) will a degree in French really be an advantage when applying to 'ctc wings'. I feel that doing a degree would just be a waste of time and money, and I would be much better off just applying to ctc without a degree but good A-levels.
Should I go on and do a degree, or just apply straight away once I have completed my A-levels. Some help please!

I faced a similar problem.... in the end I applied to Uni (also to do French), and took a gap year. So applied to CTC during the gap year, while working to save money for uni.
i was lucky enough to be accepted by CTC so cancelled my uni place, and disappeared to Oz for a few months with my uni money! But my uni place was there as a safety net incase i didnt get CTC.
A word of warning though, if you're applying without flying experience, as was my case... then make sure you've got something up your sleeve to show that you've got what they're looking for.... motivation, commitment etc... which a degree could demonstrate. But they're are plenty of other ways of doing this.
Sometimes I wish Id have done the uni thing, but I forget about that once I get to 'the office'!

Best of luck:ok:

Flik Roll
24th Oct 2006, 15:59
Finally managed to fax off my 4 answers...
Next question - I take it that it's about 3 weeks before you hear anything post-receieving the answers?

Also, PILAPT, what sort of level are the SDT maths Q's? Are they generally easy numbers? And how bad is the long div? Overall, how do they compare to the miltary aptitude, and in comparison, does a pass at the military aptitude equate to the pass level required for CTC? Or is the standard for CTC lower/higher?

Flik

Bigaircraft
26th Oct 2006, 14:50
Hi everyone,

I think Spaceman18 has the right idea. Apply for a degree course and either go through with it or use it as a back-up plan. I decided to go and get a degree, towards the end of it I applied for CTC and got in, so two success stories for u, one with a degree, one without, but the point is both spaceman18 and I had a degree course in place. A word of advice though, I would advise u to at least get a good few months of degree course behind you, one of the guys who I did stage 3 with was just about to start a degree at that point, and he failed but was invited back, he was told to re-apply after he had done at least some of his degree, so its definately worth your while. Just my point of view, though its entirely up to you, and remember a degree is a degree, even if you do french it shows that you have the capability to undertake studies, which is 1 of the things they're looking for!:ok:

good luck!

Bigaircraft
26th Oct 2006, 14:54
Anyone else doing the long foundation course on CP44?:}

Delta452
26th Oct 2006, 21:30
Well its the end of the road for me as far as CTC are concerned. Had a really good and enjoyable day at Dibden Manor but I was not sucessful in my Stage 3 and am not being targetted for future selection. I must admit Im bitterly disappointed and would really like to know the reasons for me being turned down, even as a means by which to better myself for the future but as CTC say, they dont have the resources for it. As im sure the other fellas in my group will admit, we thought we did pretty well in the group exercises... not being too dominating or submisive and working well as a team so looks like, for me atleast, it was the interview that let me down. Ive lways said if I dont get into the CTC course ill try somewhere else but tbh CTC runs the most comprehensive scheme out there and employment prospects, from what ive read and heard, arent nearly as high with CTCs competitors.

All in all, however, its been a brilliant experience and I dont regret it whatsoever. I highly recommend anyone thinking of going for this scheme to do it, the benefits far outweight the potential loses

concordski
26th Oct 2006, 21:47
Bigaircraft: "...I would advise u to at least get a good few months of degree course behind you...he was told to re-apply after he had done at least some of his degree, so its definately worth your while..."

You say CTC suggested getting a few months of a degree? Worthless on paper, you could spend 3 months going out and never attend a single lecture. Decent work experience would demonstrate this better and earn you some £. Don't just go through the motions of spending all that cash at uni only to drop out after 5 minutes just to prove a point!

You do not need practice at dropping out! They'll be looking for evidence of commitment and dropping everything just to go off on the latest adventure will achieve the following: "well, he/she is obviously a bit of a butterfly, realistically how long will they stick it?!"

Even if you stick it through 99% of a degree and then fold you've still wasted all that time/effort/money. Pointless. Counts for nothing until you get that scroll.

Either do it properly or don't do it at all! Discuss.

DANNY M
27th Oct 2006, 01:27
Anyone else doing the long foundation course on CP44?:}

Yeah, I am on CP44 and doing the long foundation... I was accepted back in July, it's been absolute murder waiting for the start to come round but now it is nearly here!!!

Check your PM's

Danny

squawkident.
27th Oct 2006, 10:43
Well done Baircraft.
Im on CP44 Long too.
Check your pm's

SA242
27th Oct 2006, 13:45
Bigaircraft: "...I would advise u to at least get a good few months of degree course behind you...he was told to re-apply after he had done at least some of his degree, so its definately worth your while..."

You say CTC suggested getting a few months of a degree? Worthless on paper, you could spend 3 months going out and never attend a single lecture. Decent work experience would demonstrate this better and earn you some £. Don't just go through the motions of spending all that cash at uni only to drop out after 5 minutes just to prove a point!

You do not need practice at dropping out! They'll be looking for evidence of commitment and dropping everything just to go off on the latest adventure will achieve the following: "well, he/she is obviously a bit of a butterfly, realistically how long will they stick it?!"

Even if you stick it through 99% of a degree and then fold you've still wasted all that time/effort/money. Pointless. Counts for nothing until you get that scroll.

I don't think the idea that CTC had regarding doing 3-6 months of a degree before re-application is necessarily a bad thing at all. They are certainly going to want to see your marks and test results over the period in any case. It also certainly helps you in getting some university time under your belt if you do not get through the re-application process, in which case you can continue and complete the degree.

It also has to be remembered that credits gained throughout a degree stand for a period of time (in South Africa I think its 5 years or so), so within that time frame you can return and complete the course if so desired, often as a part time student if you don't have many subjects left. There are plenty people in the working world including the pilot industry who do this. Obviously, if you are nearly finished with a degree then it is certainly worth sticking it out and then going to CTC instead of dropping it midstream.

Bigaircraft
27th Oct 2006, 16:41

Well from what I heard from the guy who failed, he said that they had told him to come back in 6 months after he had done abit of his degree, so it's obviously not just the qualification they're looking at, i think its the life experience as well, I'm only going off what they told him.

With regards to you saying its a waist of money if you dont do it, I do admit that my opinion on whether its worhtwhile or not has been a bit skewed as I went to college in scotland, we dont have to pay for further education, but if your doing it in england or wales then i agree there is a question on whether just starting a course and not finishing it is a worthwhile thing to do. I think CTC told my friend to do at least 6 months of the course because he lives in scotland and it wouldn't be too much of a waste of money to do so. I agree I should have thought this one through:bored:

Still its up to the individual in question whethr they do it or not, and i maintain that having some further education behind you, completed or not can only help you...provided you dont drop out of course!

flyhiguy28
27th Oct 2006, 21:54
Hi,

I'm just posting to see how everyone who attended Phase 2 today (27th Oct) got on.

I managed to scrape a pass, got Phase 3 on 22nd Nov - was kind of hoping it would be sooner!

Anyway, if you're out there, get in touch!

Kris

JC.
30th Oct 2006, 06:56
Hello,

Thank you to all those for the information provided here. It really is very helpful.

As I understand it, assessment day 2 is a series of tests covering numeracy and the PILAPT.

However, is there any type of presentation required by the student on assessment day 2? ie, talking about who they are, hobbies etc? I haven't seen any mention on this, but would be grateful if you could let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

JC.

pre3mhjt
31st Oct 2006, 20:08
JC, No introductions at stage 2, just simply give Daphne your paperwork and go and have a presentation by Lee Woodward/Chris Clarke/Steve Billet/other important person before you do the maths and PILAPTS. Good Luck.

In other news I had my meet and greet on the 26th with some really great guys who will now be on their way to NZ!(lucky ******s) I'm obviously holding the fort back in Blighty until I can join them on the 27th Dec, but am becoming increasinly concerned I'm gona be heading out on my own? Anyone joining me? I'm CP43 Short, but sure I've met everyone else!?

Pre3

Reverand Lovejoy
1st Nov 2006, 07:04
MT

Ayeup mate. I have just had the bad news from DB saying that I am on my lonesome also going out on the 22nd Nov. 24hrs sat next to a random........ god bless them;)

Johnny1981
1st Nov 2006, 10:04
Anyone going to phase 4 on the 9th November?

swisspilatus
1st Nov 2006, 16:01
Hello mates,

Will be at CTC end of November for stage 2, I believe I roughly know what tests to expect but how does it work exactly ?
What do you start with & how do they incorporate additional tests ?
By the way, how many tasks do u have to manage in the end ? (other than joystick ?) How long does it last for ?

Thx for kind replies, cheers & let me know if you are in the area !!
Pilatus

TCX_757
1st Nov 2006, 19:07
Hi ,
I'm currently considering which A-levels to take. I will be taking Phyics Maths, but stuck on a third. I am unsure which of the folowing to take: Geography, Law, French or Business. I want to apply to CTC but obviously want to keep my options open.
Any advice?

Streety
2nd Nov 2006, 06:24
TCX_757,

You should do the subject that interests you the most. You're more likely to enjoy it, you'll be better motivated, and therefore likely to achieve the best grade you can. Then at least you will have kept your options open in an area that you have a liking to.

Suisse Pilatus,

Suggest you read the 1500 odd posts in this thread old bean. You may find the answers you seek, as many before you have. It's a small effort really, if it helps get you more clued up on the selection.

Regards,

Streety.

chrisy08
10th Feb 2009, 00:01
Hi All,

Sent off application for CTC Wings Cadet online.. How long will it take for me to here from them (email)?

Thanks

Kerosine
10th Feb 2009, 05:04
You should recieve a reply in around a week, although this may vary of course.

They wont waste too much time, I finalised my application on the 12th and they confirmed phase 2/3 on the 18th.

chrisy08
10th Feb 2009, 09:04
Depending on the amount of applications bla bla bla.. ok thanks.

When did you first send your application off?

Well done for getting to phaise 2/3

C

chrisy08
10th Feb 2009, 09:17
Also, what are the 4 phases?

dunelmitepilot
10th Feb 2009, 09:28
Stage 2 of the selection process is the aptitude testing i.e the PILAPT tests and the mathematics test. If you are successful at this stage, you will be asked to attend an interview etc in the afternoon which is itself stage 3 of the selection. Success at this point means you then do stage 4 which is the test in a simulator. If you are successful here, you will then have to pass the JAA/CAA class 1 medical exam-and if you pass that, your place is secured (which is then subject to the small matter being able to finance it!)

That's a very brief overview, if you visit the thread here (http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/250640-ctc-wings-cadets-thread-part-2-a.html), it goes into the stages in a bit more detail. You will most probably find all the information you need in the first few pages.

Good luck with your application!!

dunelmitepilot

99jolegg
10th Feb 2009, 09:29
Try their website, it has most of the information you could need....as does this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/250640-ctc-wings-cadets-thread-part-2-a.html

Time from initial application takes between a few days (2-3 days) and 2 weeks. Mine took over a week.

Phase 1: Initial application, I think it includes the written material they ask you to complete too.

Phase 2: Speed maths test, 15 questions, 15 minutes, basic maths functions etc. Again, plenty of info in the thread above. You'll have roughly 75 minutes of PILAPT aptitude tests to complete, they test capacity, spacial awareness, handling skills and orientation etc. Challenging but quite enjoyable when you look back at it.

Phase 3: Same day as the second phase and involves two group exercises. If you pass the above, you'll be called for an interview mid to late afternoon. The interview lasts between 30 and 60 minutes and covers both technical and non-technical qualities. Again, more info in the above thread.

Phase 4: Simulator exercise usually held in a fixed base 737-300 sim at Nursling with one of their training Captains. It is tailored to your experience and they test capacity and ability to improve and learn. The best phase by far!

sx_stavros
18th Mar 2009, 19:46
Hi guys

I just put myself down for Phase 2 on 31st March. Anyone on the same day please PM me. I have also booked a room at the Farm House (sounds preety good as its only 10 min walk from the assessment center and is much cheaper than any other local hotel).

bigjarv
19th Mar 2009, 01:16
Has anyone recommended.. get a head for the sky to you guys yet? It is THE book to pass CTC. Well worth it! Just chuck it into google!

Troy McClure
19th Mar 2009, 20:58
Stavros,

Assuming you mean Dale Farm, a couple of points.

1. There's a potentially muddy track to negotiate to get to the main road, so you may want to put your good shoes in your bag.

2. The road to Dibden Manor is pretty narrow and no pavement. I walked it a couple of times, but it's not the safest. You can duck into the churchyard and out again to miss the worst bit.

(3. It's more than 10 mins....)

In other words, get a taxi or see if Pete or Chris can give you a lift.

Dale Farm's great by the way.

bjkeates
19th Mar 2009, 23:53
There'll more than likely be other applicants there you can grab a lift with as well.

Don't try walking it - you won't give the best of impressions turning up with your shoes and bottom of your trousers caked in mud! As well as the muddy track there is a fast, main road to negotiate and if my memory serves me correctly there's no pavement, just a grass verge!

By the way why has this thread been resurrected? For any new readers, the "part 2" thread is the most up to date. Some of the stuff in this one may be a bit out of date now. Mods - any chance of locking it while still making it viewable?

EvelcyclopS
21st Mar 2009, 13:03
why not just stay at dibden?

kwb911
21st Mar 2009, 17:11
I stayed at Dibden when I completed my sim assessment and it is very nice with breakfast included.

flyingwithwings
25th Mar 2009, 17:33
Hi. At what part in the training/process is the 60k bond transferred to an airline? If, for whatever reasons, employment with that airline ends before the bond is paid-off, what happens to it? Does it return to the student, or is it paid off?

Also, what happens if CTC were to go bust. Not saying it will, but given these uncertain times nothing can be ruled out. Would the loan be written off, underwritten by someone, or would the student be liable?

Also, when on the line training, what sort of work will the student be really doing? If the line training organisation does not take the student on, will the skills/experience learned be useful elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your help

BitMoreRightRudder
25th Mar 2009, 17:59
The word "bond" is used by ctc in totally innacurate fashion. It isn't a bond, it's a loan that is in your name. You will be required to pay it all back to HSBC/DODGY BANK OF SPAIN or whichever bank you borrow from. It is your responsibility, with that in mind I think anyone who is going to pay 60k to do an integrated course with ctc or anyone else right now is bonkers.

Good luck all the same.

TFlexMax80
25th Mar 2009, 21:01
BMRR is absolutely spot on there, both about the 'bond' and the 'bonkers'.

Ollie23
25th Mar 2009, 22:53
with that in mind I think anyone who is going to pay 60k to do an integrated course with ctc or anyone else right now is bonkers.

He's spot on. Unfortunately by the time i realised the true scale of the carnage coming the industries way it was too late for me to pull out, all i can do now is work hard and hope for the best. I'm not sleeping easily at the minute though.
I should have been a little bit more alert to the spin that CTC were pedalling at the time and a little less starry eyed. After working so hard to get accepted, i dived in head first. Wish i'd taken bit more time to think.

Anyway apart from that i'm thoroughly enjoying the course!

Not sure how they get away with using the term "bond" to be honest, very misleading. The debt is yours, always yours and nothing to do with the airline or CTC should either fold.

flyingwithwings
26th Mar 2009, 10:18
Many thanks for the responses - certainly food for thought.

What is the general mood of students on the scheme right now regarding their chances of employment? Second, over the last few months how many graduates are finding employment?

If there are any concerns of students on the scheme, what steps are CTC taking to manage expectations of students on the course, what advice are they giving, and what are they doing to ensure they've an(y) advantage when entering the job market?

If employment is not found, what, if any, on-going support is provided by CTC to aid its students? At what point is the student "on his/her own" competing with the multitude of 250 hour pilots all trying to get jobs?

Again, thank you in advance for your help.

BitMoreRightRudder
26th Mar 2009, 10:20
Glad you are enjoying the course ollie. As an ex ctc-er, I have my fingers crossed for you and all the other guys out there. All the best.

sleggy
17th Sep 2009, 12:27
Hi guys

i recently have been offered a place on the cadet course and i remember during the morning presentation info about insurance. Could anyone give me any info on typical prices or links to view

thanks

XTR_Chris
24th May 2010, 18:52
Hey all,

I am sat here right now with the CTC Wings application form open on a new tab.
At the risk of sounding very soppy this is a 15 year dream to apply for something like this and become a pilot.

I am a little apprehensive as to whether or not I should go ahead with the application right now as I have read somewhere that CTC wings wants £160 to process your appliation????

Is this true? if so why do they want that much money upfront?
If I am successful, when will I have to start paying fees and taking out loans?

Many thanks

Chris