PDA

View Full Version : The CTC Wings Scheme thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

bjkeates
2nd Aug 2006, 09:45
I passed phase 4 in March and they allowed me to postpone my departure until August to enable me to finish my degree. Having said that, they knew I was still in my final year at University when I applied so they must have known I would be wanting to finish it.

If backpacking is your reason, rather than something like a degree which you're already committed to, then I don't know. The application form does give you an option to specify what is the earliest date you would be available for training (if I remember correctly!). I would say definitely go for your phase 2 resit on one of the dates allocated, and then have a word with the staff on that day. They're the best people to ask.

docash1983
2nd Aug 2006, 10:47
Hi bjkeates
I did not know that they allowed you to apply while still at uni. I myself am at uni and would like to approach CTC in the same way. Are they then fairly open minded when it comes to students applying and postponing their departure for NZ? Do you know of any body else who has done this?
Thanks in advance and the very best of luck in NZ.

NickS
2nd Aug 2006, 10:57
I applied in October last year after just starting my masters (1 year course) and I got through the application form and follow up questions stage. As my availability date was October this year, they put me on hold until closer to my availability date, so I haven't been invited to stage 2 yet.

pilot37
2nd Aug 2006, 11:09
Haha - CTC have invited me back for phase 4 after I failed at this stage last time. They want me to pay £100 'process costs'.... I don't think so.

bjkeates
2nd Aug 2006, 11:45
Docash - I think they tend to be fairly open-minded. Most people who I've met at selection days have been in their early 20s and either not long out of uni or still there. Given the entry requirements (good A-levels) and bearing in mind that most people who get good A-levels will then go on to university, I would have thought that they expect a large number of current students to apply. I can't speak for them, of course, but it would seem logical.

Don't let the fact you're still at university put you off applying, but I certainly wouldn't apply if you're not in your final year unless you intend to drop out if you pass selection (but then this might not necessarily look good if you're asked about it in an interview.) As an example, I applied in December last year and had completed the four stages and class 1 medical by the end of March. I had a five-week wait between stages 2 and 3, which is much longer than some people, so if you're considering applying with the intention of finishing your degree first I would personally suggest doing so in January or February of the year you intend to go, and then see what happens. As NickS said, it is possible for them to accept your initial application and then put you on hold, depending on what you specified as your first available date on your application form.

And thanks for the best wishes... I can't wait to get going! Leaving for LHR in a couple of hours... :ok:

Edit to say: Pilot37 - given the high pass rate at Stage 4 and what the course can offer if you do pass, are you really going to pack it in at this stage? Many applicants would give a hell of a lot to be in that position. Not a criticism, just curious.

sicky
2nd Aug 2006, 19:45
FDD - i plan on going in September 11th ( :ooh: ) as it gives me a little more time to plan the trip (it's a long way from Newcastle) and to practice up if i find anything to help me out.

Do you know of any way to practice the area we both failed on?

BJK - I am one of those people that would give so much to be in a similar position to that.

FlightDeckDave
2nd Aug 2006, 20:43
Sicky I'm probably thinking 11th Sept is a better choice for me too, don't think I'm giving myself enough time to see if i can improve any areas of PILAPT if i go for August. I've tried looking for similar progs on the net but with limited success. Now I have read alot on here that people don't think you can do much to practice for the PILAPT tests as either you have it or you dont!! But on reflection from the first time i did them, I think that you can at least try multi tasking programs which must do something to improve those needed skills and especially flight sims to practice keeping cross hairs in the centre of the screen. Just like with anything practice makes perfect.... But then again are CTC looking for practice and dedication or just natural skill?

sicky
2nd Aug 2006, 20:57
I think both are good qualities, for me, it would be more about finding a routine to use that suits me best. I know for the one where you match the colour, shape and whether they line up, i scored 100% because i got myself into a routine and stuck ot it. Im pretty sure if i could do the same thing\practice doing it, it would help me greatly.

I had a look at cockpitweb (£60) and pilapt-prep (£23). They both seem useful, but im the same as you, not sure how useful!

Hope to see you there on Sept 11th! (i swear...all these tests and interviews are making me bankrupt!!)

Reverand Lovejoy
2nd Aug 2006, 21:08
Good Evening All,

Firstly a massive congrats to bjkeates who is now, no doubt, on his/her way to Hamilton!! What I would give to be in that position:ok: All the best :D

My question is that I have got my resit at stage 3 approaching and wondered what the resit questions were like. I studied the economy and aircraft fleet before which from my feedback scored quite well. Will I be asked the standard questions like how many of these aircraft do we have? what routes do we fly ect or will it be a quick........ so what have you done to improve since last time type questions??

Anyone resat stage 3 recently care to let me know? Would just like to know where to focus my time as alot has happened in the last 4 months.

Thanks again
The Reverand :ok:

sicky
3rd Aug 2006, 00:23
I have no experience, but imagine that they would ask similar questions, but maybe concentrate on whichever area it was that let you down the last time.

bjkeates
3rd Aug 2006, 00:56
Good Evening All,

Firstly a massive congrats to bjkeates who is now, no doubt, on his/her way to Hamilton!!

Hahaha, yes I am literally on the way to Hamilton now - currently somewhere up in the air on SQ321! Loving the Connexion by Boeing - it's brilliant! :p

Pazu888
3rd Aug 2006, 10:30
I got through stage 3!!!

I'm absolutely ecstatic!!!

Anyone got their stage 4 on 10th August?

Delta452
3rd Aug 2006, 11:16
Hey guys n girls.

Anyone who has actually progressed through the whole selection, can you advise me the total cost of obtaining a JAR class 1 medical certificate. The cost sheet here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_Med_Aeromedical_Centre_Fees_Jan-2006.pdf) states £435.00 but that includes all the "if needed" tests. Does CTC require all the tests do be carried out or just the minimum specification?

thanks

DANNY M
3rd Aug 2006, 11:59
The cost of a CAA Class 1 medical now stands at £302

I had mine just over a week ago, it takes roughly an hour and a half although this will increase the more of you ther are (there were 5 people when I had mine).

You have to pass the medical with NO EXCEPTIONS

Danny :p

Delta452
3rd Aug 2006, 12:52
lovely, cheers for the info

girl friday
3rd Aug 2006, 15:10
Hi folks, my first post on this thread so please be gentle with me!

Firstly I want to say thanks to all those who have taken the time to post helpful info in here - I really appreciate the effort from all those who have revealed all from the selection process, particularly those who haven't made it but have still decided to share. Thanks.

Anyway, question 1!!
I've just finished reading the previous 50 odd pages of this thread and several people have mentioned being 'sponsored' or 'pre-selected' by one of the partner airlines but I can't find anything that says how you go about getting this sponsorship? All the airline websites just link to the CTC site and say 'don't apply directly to us, apply to CTC'. Can anyone shed any light on it for me (apologies if I'm missing something really obvious!)?

and also...
I am 26, and likely to be nearly 27 by the time I'm ready to apply (financially and personally - want to be sure that this is really what I want before I put myself through all that heartache!). Several people have mentioned that the partner airlines have lower age limits than CTC's '30-on-day-of-application'. Does anyone know if this has stopped older cadets getting jobs at the end of the process, or whether greater age is seen as a disadvantage that you need to overcome in the selection process?

thanks very much - any help very gratefully received!

girl friday

Mooneyboy
3rd Aug 2006, 15:24
Well done Pazu888 just the sim left for you and good luck.

Didn't tell you my username on pprune but I was the guy who gave you a lift in the morning from the B&B. I got through to stage 4 ( also fantastically happy!!) for the ATP section and so did the other ATP guy I knew. Not sure how the Swedish guy did.

Best of luck

Mooneyboy:ok:

1800-how'smyflying
3rd Aug 2006, 15:39
Some people were asking reciently how long people had to wait for an invitation to stage 2 after sending in their fax pack. I sent my fax on June 16th and got an invitation today (3 Aug) to stage 2.

Now to traul through the whole thread to get as much info as possible

NickS
3rd Aug 2006, 16:03
girl friday =>
About the sponsorship, I think after you've applied to CTC and have done the initial training, the airline contacts CTC and asks for cadets, then you (hopefully) get recommended to them. The airline then pays for your type rating and you remain forever in their debt.

I got this from the CTC website and from other threads, but I don't know from experience. Someone'll correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

Also it won't make you feel better, but I feel old at 23 and having not started training yet. From looking at www.cadetpilot.com (http://www.cadetpilot.com), it appears that some cadets are in the older end of the age bracket and secured sponsorship from an airline, so there's still hope.

Pazu888
3rd Aug 2006, 16:03
Well done Pazu888 just the sim left for you and good luck.

Didn't tell you my username on pprune but I was the guy who gave you a lift in the morning from the B&B. I got through to stage 4 ( also fantastically happy!!) for the ATP section and so did the other ATP guy I knew. Not sure how the Swedish guy did.

Best of luck

Cheers mate, well done to you too! I had a feeling you might get through...:ok: I reckon it was the wolves that did it for us...! Thanks again for the lift.

I got a taxi back to Southampton with the Swedish guy and he wasn't too happy, I haven't heard from him though.

Good luck with your ATP, do you have to do any more stages?

Pazu

girl friday
3rd Aug 2006, 16:09
thanks NickS - that makes sense about the sponsorship, think i was worrying that there's a whole area of the application that i'm missing or something!!

as for the age thing, don't worry about worrying me - i'm good enough at doing that myself! i'm sure they wouldn't take applications from people in their late 20s if they couldn't get them jobs, it would just be nice to hear from someone who knows they definitely do.
anyone else out there know of any cadets approaching 30 with jobs lined up??

i'm off to take a closer look at cadetpilot.com (will focus less on the pictures of them all out on the lash this time, hehe)

Mooneyboy
3rd Aug 2006, 16:36
Hi Pazu888

Got stage 4 ( for anyone else reading to avoid confusion this is regarding ATP not Cadet) left which is the last one. For us thats the MCC and JOT again essentially, either on 737 or Airbus A320 lasting roughly 3 weeks. Then hopefully as long as we are successful with that phase we should be picked by an airline then start the type rating. I think its quite full so we should be starting towards the end of this year.

I think wolfy was taking a break that day outside in the sun when we were having lunch!

All the best

mistri
3rd Aug 2006, 19:41
Hi guys,

This forum is great and really helpful. I didn't know anything about it until my phase 2 assesment day when loads of the guys were talking about it!

Congratulations to everyone who has done so well so far.

I am going for my phase 3 tues next week and am a little nervous about it. I've read all the pages about the sort of questions that can be asked in the interview but what if they come out with something REALLY technical?? will they?? I've had like 15minutes flying experience! could anyone who's taken their phase 3 give me an example of a technical question?

this may sound silly but i went out and bought microsoft flight simulator 2004, which gives flying lessons and the theory behind it. it's quite good. i've learnt quite a lot.

one more thing, did anyone stay over at a b&b in dibden? i didnt receive the file of hotel phone numbers/addresses in the correct format from daphne and was hoping someone could recommend a place close by to dibden manor?

Cheers,

Mistri :O

mo90
3rd Aug 2006, 22:58
mistri,

I made the trip down to dibden for the induction day around a year ago now and stayed at a B&B called Dale Farm Guest House, literally 5 minutes drive from the gates of the manor - if you need any more info i should be able to dig out an old e-mail!

As for the interview don't worry too much about the technical questions, there are plenty of cadets with little or no background in aviation and the interviews and sim check were adapted to suit the interviewee.
The interviewers were great and i'm sure it's been said before that it was very relaxed.

I was in the same position as yourself with 1 hour flying experience and no background in engineering - most of the interview was based on questions aimed at finding out about my personality and motives for applying. Have a good read through the website and perhaps those of the partner airlines, but unless things have changed massively don't expect to be examined on the number of cup holders in a 737(unless you wrote a dissertation on this at uni, in which case do worry about it!).

girl friday, don't worry about the age thing - getting on the course is a good indication from CTC that they think they can find you a job when you're trained. And yes there are people here older than yourself with airlines lined up! :ok: by the way...us?lash?never!

mo

Wing_Bound_Vortex
4th Aug 2006, 01:45
Yup don't worry about the age thing guys of 27/28/29 now driving round shiny orange and white tin tubes, and others that are only 21....:eek:
As for the sponsorship, well it doesn't really exist as such. You train with CTC, depositing around 60k with them for the cost of that training, they will find you an airline either before or during your training and then once you finish the type rating that money as a "bond" is transferred to the airline who then pay you a cadet salary. On top of that they pay 12k tax free a year back to the bank ( or to you if you just happened to have that much money knocking around ) to pay the training costs back.
The total of your cadet salary and the 12k tax free just "happens" to amount to a normal FO's salary ;)
So you see it's not actually sponsorship at all, but the benefit is of course that that job offer is pretty much a solid bet, barring war, drought, famine, random acts of god, airline going bust etc etc ( you get my point! )
WBV

mistri
4th Aug 2006, 09:12
thanks mo,

that's settles my nerves a bit! wow i admire you guys in new zealand! how i would luv to be in that position right now!!!
just out of curiosity, are there many girls out there? it doesn't bother me at all coz i studied engineering and i was one out of the very few girls there too...to be honest they all looked half men anyway := that was mean, i take that back.

mistri ;)

Pazu888
4th Aug 2006, 09:14
Hi guys,

This forum is great and really helpful. I didn't know anything about it until my phase 2 assesment day when loads of the guys were talking about it!

Congratulations to everyone who has done so well so far.

I am going for my phase 3 tues next week and am a little nervous about it. I've read all the pages about the sort of questions that can be asked in the interview but what if they come out with something REALLY technical?? will they?? I've had like 15minutes flying experience! could anyone who's taken their phase 3 give me an example of a technical question?

this may sound silly but i went out and bought microsoft flight simulator 2004, which gives flying lessons and the theory behind it. it's quite good. i've learnt quite a lot.

one more thing, did anyone stay over at a b&b in dibden? i didnt receive the file of hotel phone numbers/addresses in the correct format from daphne and was hoping someone could recommend a place close by to dibden manor?

Cheers,

Mistri :O

Hi

I have just passed phase 3, and I was in the same situation as you, had about an hour flying experience.

I prepared for it by reading about all the partner airlines (I learned the fleets, where they fly, when they started etc), the industry in general and also about the course itself.

For most of my interview I was asked about my previous jobs, how I motivate myself, when I have shown good team skills etc. They generally pick up on what you say and ask you more about certain aspects of it, hence "semi-structured". I did not get ANY technical questions. At the end they asked me who I would like to fly for, and what being a pilot involves, which gave me a chance to show my airline/industry knowledge.

I stayed at the Dale Farm Guest House, it was very comfortable, they are on the net.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :ok:

PS. Which stage 2 were you at? Was it on the 21 last month?

rusty_y2k2
4th Aug 2006, 15:57
Just had my Phase 2 today (was anyone else on here there today?)...

A few minutes ago I got an email saying I have passed :eek: I was terrified I had made a right balls up of that final test but evidently not enough to fail me :lol:

Onwards and upwards! Best of luck to everyone else there today and taking phase 2 soon. Best bit of advice is to just relax (easier said than done eh).

squawkident.
4th Aug 2006, 16:31
Hi Rusty-same here. passed as well.
I was the guy in the purple shirt/tie.
I got stage 3 booked for 22nd August but im on holiday then so im gonna try and re-arrange it for sooner hopefully.

Do agree with you in so far as i was sure i failed the last bit as well.
Well done and congrats.

Good luck

S.I

rusty_y2k2
4th Aug 2006, 17:25
Congrats, I was the chap in a black shirt and chinos....

The email told me the 16th for phase 3, but I can't make it so will have to rebook too I guess :rolleyes:

mistri
5th Aug 2006, 13:27
hi pazu888,

ye i was there on the 21st!!!...with my whole family clan!
thanks for the advice for phase 3. it's great to hear that you were successful. good luck with the next phase. i'm sure you'll be fine.

i'll let you know how it went for me. oooo its on tuesday! better get on with my research.

mistri

Bigaircraft
5th Aug 2006, 17:40
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here but i realised there is a couple of you doing a stage 2 re-assessment on the 11th sept, I've just booked my re-assessment for this day, and already i'm bricking it! So glad to get invited to re-apply, was a massive relief to me. I've been practicing the last PILAPT test, the one with the crosshairs the shapes and the counting, I roped a few mates into doing the number count and showing me shapes and stuff while I flew on flightsim with the weather set to "stormy" (those crosshairs do move around don't they?!). For the maths I've been onto the Cabair website, they have a mock test, 10 questions in 30 minutes. Its a longer time but the questions are slightly harder but similar to the ones we had to re-endure! Also well done to the post stage four people on here:D

Also, anyone know the percentage of people who pass stage 2 the second time round?

sicky
5th Aug 2006, 23:47
I might have to try a similar practice!

Did you fail the maths first time around? I was told i don't have to re-do the maths, as i passed last time.

Bigaircraft
6th Aug 2006, 17:43
I might have to try a similar practice!

Did you fail the maths first time around? I was told i don't have to re-do the maths, as i passed last time.

Yeah, failed first time (not enough practice!) :ugh: anyways, glad of a second shot. I have been practicing alot this time though, the only trouble is whenever i close my eyes all i see is numbers!:rolleyes: :ok:

jd8
7th Aug 2006, 00:49
Practice hard cos if you get to stage 4 to the sim check you may find CC asking you the square of 19 or how many months old you are while you are in a decending turn trying to roll out on 315 and level off at 2000ft....

FlightDeckDave
7th Aug 2006, 09:00
Arghh decided to go ahead and book reassesment for Stage 2 on the 14th Aug, didn't want to prolong the agony! Cheers 'Bigaircraft', for the tips to practice think I might get my brother running round the room shouting numbers at me! I managed to find out the stats of people who pass the 2nd stage 2nd time round - 55%. So guess it's worth it! Would really like to know how many of those who pass 2nd time actually make it on to the course but unfortunately CTC didn't provide that.

Right going to download the Pilapt-prep hope its worth it!

dyingforflying
7th Aug 2006, 09:28
did anybody passed stage 3 for the ATP scheme lately? And if yes, when are you going to the AQC?

Bigaircraft
7th Aug 2006, 10:33
Practice hard cos if you get to stage 4 to the sim check you may find CC asking you the square of 19 or how many months old you are while you are in a decending turn trying to roll out on 315 and level off at 2000ft....

Thats a useful insight! cheers:ok: now all i have to do is get there:bored:

Bigaircraft
7th Aug 2006, 10:37
I managed to find out the stats of people who pass the 2nd stage 2nd time round - 55%

Better than that of the amount of people getting through stage 2 the first time round, your right, it does sound likes its worth it:)

dodge123
7th Aug 2006, 10:48
did anybody passed stage 3 for the ATP scheme lately? And if yes, when are you going to the AQC?

I think there is at least a two month wait for the AQC at the moment, followed by approx. three months in the hold pool. From sources within I hear the length of time in the hold pool is due to grow as easy slow down recruitment due lack of trainers.
I also heard rumours that some recent low-hour entrants to easy are spending a couple of months in Ops post type rating before they can commence line training, again down to shortage of line trainers.

squawkident.
7th Aug 2006, 11:40
Hi, Has anybody got stage 3 assesment this wednesday 9th August.
If so where are you staying? Im about to book my accomodation and it would be good to meet up first especially as they are testing our team work skills.

SI

Flies-like-a-chicken
7th Aug 2006, 11:46
Can anybody who is currently on, or has recently finished, the CTC wings scheme give me a more detailed description of the timescales involved for each section of the scheme than is available on the CTC web site?!

Thanks,

FLAC

EGAC_Ramper
7th Aug 2006, 12:29
Greetings sqauwkident,

I'm actually heading to phase 3 9th Augustso will see you there.I'm flying into Southampton tomorrow on good old FlyMayBE from belfast and staying in the Dale Farmhouse.

Regards :ok:

girl friday
7th Aug 2006, 13:45
Flies-like-a-chicken:

if you get a PM response to your query can you post it up here, would be really interested to have a look at that.

or if anyone has a link to more detailed info?:ok:

girl friday

Pazu888
7th Aug 2006, 14:06
Anyone else got stage 4 this Thursday (10th)?

girl friday
7th Aug 2006, 15:37
19th May 2006, 13:25 #797 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2592046&postcount=797) Mooney12 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=62795) vbmenu_register("postmenu_2592046", true);
Over 150 posts! About time I clicked here (http://www.pprune.org/ptorder/ptorder.htm) and ordered a Personal Title.

Well aren't all you 21 year old 757 pilots great!!

I have to disagree though....whats the rush? Go to uni, have a good time, get a degree and then apply to CTC. Thats the best way in my view.

Im 23 now, have a degree (which still may come in useful down the line) and unlike the above people (busz, spaceman18 and boy) Im headed to a proper airline. :E Im not into any of this flying during the night business you charter boys have to put up with;)

Bring on the cheeseboards

- I realise that Mooney posted this some time ago, but was just wondering what people's opinions are on this? CTC seems like the best training option to actually get an airline job at the end of it, but does anyone think i/we'd be better off trying to self-fund training at somewhere like oxford (i know, i know, don't shoot me for suggesting it!) and go for a 'proper airline'?

just considering that any successful CTC cadets are pretty much tied in to the company they end up working for for 7 years, i'd be interested in how people weigh up the two options.

p.s. i appreciate that the fact that other training has to be self-funded can steer people towards CTC as the only option, just interested in people's opionions - the original comment seemed to get less response than i would have expected.

girl friday

edited to try and mark what comments are mine and what are Mooney's more clearly!

fly now
7th Aug 2006, 15:44
hi guys ,
I am staying in Bournemouth on the 10th..
any suggestion about cheap b&b ???
hugs

sicky
7th Aug 2006, 19:16
Is it just me, or are people coming across as being a bit "dis-loyal"?

I'm not trying to have a go, but personally as long as i am stable in a job and happy, then 7 years would be no time at all to stay there. In most airlines you could end up flying through the night, is that not part of the job? Obviousley, in some airlines it is, more than others.

I just don't quite get all of this "proper airline" stuff. I wouldn't be too picky unless i had trhe choice of a few offers! :confused:

Again, not trying to cause any conflict, i'm just a bit confused at people taking this stance.

Also, there are a vast range of airlines that recruit from CTC, including so called "proper airlines"

Wing_Bound_Vortex
7th Aug 2006, 23:22
Think the " proper airline " comment was with tongue firmly planted in cheek! It's just too easy to take the pi*s out of the charter boys, their all nighters and long gangly 757's! ;)

Just what do you consider a proper airline would be anyhows? And Girl Friday don't worry about the whole being tied in to an airline thing, you arn't you can go where you like after 6 months, you're just a normal employee like anyone else. It all comes down to weighing up your options wrt pay and conditions at other airlines.

WBV (again with tongue firmly in cheek )

Wing_Bound_Vortex
7th Aug 2006, 23:23
ps.....and bring on the cheeseboards! :E

WBV

BitMoreRightRudder
7th Aug 2006, 23:32
People just to point out that no cadet is tied to an airline for 7 years. You can leave when you want, accepting that ezy or whoever won't make the bond repayments if you do, and you must then repay your loan to HSBC through taxed salary. You are not contractually obliged to stay in one airline for 7 years. Plenty of cadets have left ezy within the first year of employment.

CTC will almost certainly place you into the RHS of a jet if you pass the course, and that is the advantage of doing your training with them. Whether the airline you go to is considered a 'proper airline' by anyone else's standards doesn't really matter. You are going straight to a jet with 250hrs, and will build experience quickly at a relatively young age, meaning you are well placed to seek employment elsewhere in the future should you wish.

Any airline that operates a sizeable fleet of jets and makes a regular profit is a 'proper' airline in my book!

Good luck guys;)

WBV guessing you're on lates too this week mate!

PS I've given up on the cheeseboard idea

Bigaircraft
7th Aug 2006, 23:47
I have to disagree though....whats the rush? Go to uni, have a good time, get a degree and then apply to CTC. Thats the best way in my view.

You know I did that, and I'm so glad I did, one of the best descisions I ever made and good life experience, plus the qualification of course:ok:

P.S. the fact that I worked on the deli in Tescos during that time adds to the significance of the cheeseboard;)

PPL152
8th Aug 2006, 08:02
Is it true the total costs with CTC exceeds a £100,000 ????

Thanks
PPL152

Superpilot
8th Aug 2006, 08:05
Factor in interest on loan, food and accomodation when on leave and loss of earnings. Yes it does.

PPL152
8th Aug 2006, 08:11
Ok, but initially, how much would you require to pay them? I presume the £100,000 come into play after you get into an airline right?

All I'm interested is how much it will cost from zero, to when I'm placed in an airline... if i have a job... then i'm safe...

Pazu888
8th Aug 2006, 09:08
Ok, but initially, how much would you require to pay them? I presume the £100,000 come into play after you get into an airline right?

All I'm interested is how much it will cost from zero, to when I'm placed in an airline... if i have a job... then i'm safe...

You have to pay a bond of £60,000 to CTC. This normally comes from a bank loan. You then pay this back over 7 years once you have full employment with an airline. If you stay with your placement airline (eg. Easy) then you get the extra money on top of your salary to pay it back. If you go somewhere else, you pay it back from your salary.

The foundation course costs £3000-4000, which every cadet has to pay, but you get refunded money (per-hour I think) if you don't need the full-length foundation.

The living expenses (I was told at stage 2) total about £5000.

Both the foundation money and the living expenses money can also be loaned from the bank.

Therefore the only money you need to pay is for stage 2 (£160), travelling between the different selection stages, and possibly a bit when you get back to UK for the latter stages of the course.

Think that's all correct?

bjkeates
8th Aug 2006, 10:16
You must deposit a cash bond to CTC which is paid (usually by HSBC if you opt for their finance) in instalments. This is initially £60,000 but by the time you actually get round to start paying it back, it has gone up to £84,000 with interest. The repayments then work out at £1000/month for 7 years.

So, in answer to PPL152, let's call this bit £84,000 as that's what you'll actually be paying, whether it's directly from your salary or through the airline's repayments when you're on your (reduced) cadet salary.

So far, other costs to me have been:
Insurance - £600+
Foundation course - £4100
Class 1 medical - £302
Various trips to Bournemouth and Dibden (inc Stage 2 fee) - wrong side of £500 (and that's low compared to some people)

Accommodation is provided, including (I think) bills when living in the provided houses in Bournemouth (I'm about a year of getting to that stage yet so I don't know) but food and other living expenses are not.

I'd say it's definitely upwards of 90 grand in total, but you can't put a concrete figure on it because that depends very much on your lifestyle. One thing that is very important to remember, though, is that although it may seem a lot the debt is all manageable - far more so than in many other courses. The £60,000 bond is unsecured, meaning you won't have to go and remortgage your parents' house to pay for it like you would with some other schemes. There are no up-front payments, and HSBC take care of all that side of the finance for you once you've signed the forms. You won't start repaying it until you start working for an airline, and although people may argue that it's not true "sponsorship" because in effect you'll be paying for it through a slightly reduced salary, it's definitely the most manageable and affordable way of getting into one of the best FTOs with the best career prospects on offer.

The main concern to me was raising the money for the foundation course, for which CTC do not pay - which is pretty much the cost of a PPL. With regards to the £60k bond, it doesn't matter whether you go through CTC and their method of doing it or another FTO and take out a bank loan independently. It's going to cost you a hell of a lot of money wherever you go if you want the best prospects of a job; the main difference is the way you pay it back. If you don't like the sound of getting in nearly £100k of debt (which I will be, taking my student loan into consideration as well) then you'd be better off getting a job elsewhere, doing modular training and working your way up through the industry rather than entering on jets.

Essentially, although it's expensive, you get what you pay for.

And to those of you wondering whether or not to apply - from my experience so far, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. It's absolutely fantastic out here, the whole set-up is just absolutely top notch.

jd8
8th Aug 2006, 10:21
You are gonna pay for your training whatever way you do it. This way you don't have to front up the cash, but you still pay.
There are pro's and cons but I don't think anyone will complain that has got thru and is sitting in a nice shiny jet.

I missed on the sim and am in a better position financially for it, but had to do it on my own which was harder.
With only £18000 of debt now (with no interest accruing) and a good job I am not complaining.
It's not a jet yet (and yes I fly passengers) but I'll be a better pilot personally for it.

And no its not in the UK or a third world country...:ok:

p.s, It's a great scheme run by great people so good luck to ya all.

PPL152
8th Aug 2006, 10:59
Thanks for all replies,

The CTC scheme seems to be the best on offer as regards to job prospects. I also have a PPL with 80 hrs and more, so the foundation course, I hope would not cost me that much.

I'm entering first year Unversity studying B.Pharm next October, and the course takes 5 yrs. However I'll save as much money I can for the extras (foundation, etc) and when I've got 'em, I just go and do it if possible.

bjkeates
8th Aug 2006, 11:06
You have to pay the cost of the full foundation course regardless of whether you do the long or the short course; then, for those on the short course, the refund for unused time comes later. So it's still going to cost you an up-front payment of NZ$12,000 regardless of whether you have 80 hours or not.

Also, your PPL hours need to be fairly recent. Some people come out having logged 40 or 50 hours but none for a few years and take the long foundation course because the learning curve is quite intense and being on the long course helps.

PPL152
8th Aug 2006, 13:37
Thanks, this seems the best place to be then... no questions about it I guess... it's the kind of school I've been looking for... unsecured loan and very good job prospects...

duklaprague
8th Aug 2006, 15:57
I have recieved confirmation of passing stage 1.

What percentage of people get through to stage two? Is it a simple way for ctc to get as many £175 as possible?

I admit i do not know enough about the scheme so excuse my ignorance, if this isnt a justified question.

sicky
8th Aug 2006, 17:04
I'm pretty sure phase 1 is used to simply filter out the people who aren't suitably qualified and possibly experienced. Just something along those lines anyway.

BobbyK
8th Aug 2006, 18:37
Bjkeates - what airline are you going through with? If you wouldnt mind could I pm you with a few questions about the application process? I dont want to knwo what they ask just more interested in how it all came together for you

bjkeates
8th Aug 2006, 22:09
BobbyK - I'm not assigned to any airline yet, as is the case with all cadets starting with CTC. We don't become assigned until much later on in the course. Feel free to PM.

sicky
8th Aug 2006, 22:27
bjk - what i would give to be in your shoes right now. Hope it all goes well for you!

Pazu888
9th Aug 2006, 08:13
I have recieved confirmation of passing stage 1.

What percentage of people get through to stage two? Is it a simple way for ctc to get as many £175 as possible?

I admit i do not know enough about the scheme so excuse my ignorance, if this isnt a justified question.

If you read the whole thread, maybe skip the first few pages as they are quite old now (its a hell of a lot, took me about 3hrs, but is well worth it) then you will find info on this and lots of other aspects of the scheme. There are descriptions of all the stages in detail etc.

Roughly speaking:

Stage 1 is basic qualifications, whether you meet them etc. Presumably most people who apply have looked at the requirements, but there may be other factors such as age.

Stage 2 is the testing, to decide whether you have the natural skills (aptitude) necessary. As is said so often, if you don't get through it doesn't mean you won't make a good pilot.

Stage 3 is the group exercises & interview. This tests teamwork and lets the CTC people meet you properly for the first time. The interview decides whether you are the right kind of person, eg. motivated etc.

Stage 4 is the simulator assessment, which tests your "trainability" and how well you cope in a flight deck environment.

When you go to stage 2 the presentation will be really helpful (& will also calm you down after the long car/train journey) in terms of what to expect at other stages and the course in general.

Actual pass rates for each stage are hard to determine but at my stage 2 they said the overall acceptance rate after all the stages was about 4-5% of total initial applicants, and they get around 50-60 applications per week.

Just do your best at each stage and hopefully you will be OK!

PPL152
9th Aug 2006, 08:55
check your PM's bjkeates

sif
9th Aug 2006, 10:26
Hi,

You must be between 18 an 30 to apply to CTC Wings Cadet. If you are 28 or older, apart easyJet that accept cadet until the age of 30, which airline partners (between Thomas Cook Airlines, Monarch Airlines, Thomsonfly, Channel Express / Jet2, First Choice Airways and MyTravel) would accept to sponsor you ?

Thanks,

Sif

squawkident.
10th Aug 2006, 10:17
Hello to everybody who did stage 3 selection yesterday on the 9th august.
Just found out somehow I made it through to stage 4 (cadets) so something tells me i'll be paying a visit to the pub in a short while.

Hope you all did well and got through
regards,

S.I.

danielplainview
10th Aug 2006, 11:49
Hi everybody

Good luck to you whatever stage you're at. I'm just wondering what exactly is involved at stage 4.
I read that when you're in the simulator they ask you difficult maths questions, which doesn't seem cool at all...
But if anyone could tell me anything that'd be great.

All the best

DANNY M
10th Aug 2006, 12:16
Hi,

First of all the best piece of advice I can give is to relax, enjoy the day and it will go fine.

It's a very relaxed day, they want you to succeed as much as you do. If you listen, look interested and follow instructions you'll do alright.

The day starts with a brief on the aircraft you will be flying (King Air - Beechcraft). The cockpit instruments are explained, what you will be doing throughout the sim check and what is expected of you.

The sim last approx 45 mins

Your assessor will more than likely take off (well he did for me), and then once straight and level he will had control to you. You will be sat in the LH seat by the way. You are then to keep the aircraft straight and level to get a feel of the aircraft. After that its a few turns rolling out onto a heading that you will be told, these will be done a varying bank angles both left and right handed. Then a few climbs levelling off at X thousand feet and descending again at x feet per min levelling off at a given altitude. You will then attempt climbing turns, descending turns, steep turns.

Once all this is done you will be set up for an approach, as long as you listen and keep the aircraft at the correct decent rate you should hit the deck on the runway but do not worry too much about it of you don't.

As for maths questions, I never got any, all I was asked was general family questions. Have I got a Sister? How old? Etc. All done during you flying just to check that you can multi task.

At points through the flight you will be asked things like;

What altitude are we at?
What is our current airspeed?
What heading are we on?

Just to make sure you can read the instruments correctly.

It really is a good day and if you relax, listen, follow instructions you'll have a ball!

Hope that helps

Danny :ok:

danielplainview
10th Aug 2006, 15:49
Nice one Danny. Thanks!

Pazu888
10th Aug 2006, 16:04
I have just got through stage 4!!!

Can't believe it... fellow 10 August candidate, how did you get on mate? PM me if you have a username. Hope all is well!

Thanks to everyone on the thread for posting such useful information.

Good luck to all future candidates! :ok:

Pazu

Mister-Sheep
10th Aug 2006, 19:15
Hiya!
Congratulations!
I was the other wings cadet pilot on 10th aug. Im through to phase 4 too!:) going down there on the 17th aug, you?

Mister-Sheep

Mister-Sheep
10th Aug 2006, 19:20
Sorry got my dates mixed up in all excitement, Ive just checked mine today as ive just got back, i was the 9th aug btw. Through to stage 4 anyway! hope to see ya there

Mister-Sheep

Pazu888
10th Aug 2006, 21:32
Sorry got my dates mixed up in all excitement, Ive just checked mine today as ive just got back, i was the 9th aug btw. Through to stage 4 anyway! hope to see ya there

Mister-Sheep

Cool well done Mister-Sheep

I meant I have actually passed stage 4 and got onto the scheme. :ok:

Good luck for your stage 4, it's actually really good fun!

bjkeates
10th Aug 2006, 22:44
Congratulations Pazu! When are you heading out?

cparker
10th Aug 2006, 23:38
Hi guys and girls,

I have been reading with interest the recent attention that people have been paying to the Wings stage 4 selection.

I'd just like to end the chit chat that goes on here and also the private messages that (may) flow between people that could worry prospective cadets.

Stage 4, as the selectors probably said to you at stage 2, is a chance for somebody that has had no direct involvement in your selection to assess your ability to :-

1) Learn from instruction provided.

2) Be a good guy/girl that the selectors feels he wants on the course.

That's it....nothing out of the ordinary. Look forward to it enjoy it and do your best.

If they try and ask anything sneaky then I myself would assume that you're capable of doing the task in hand but need to be pushed further!

Strive for excellence!

C

Mister-Sheep
11th Aug 2006, 17:42
Thanks alot Cparker, they are some very welcoming words. Are you on to CTC now?

Mister-Sheep

Mister-Sheep
11th Aug 2006, 17:45
Oh and congratulations Pazu888

Sorry I completely misread your post in all the buzz of passing stage 3 (the one I was really worried about).

Congrats, hope to see ya in New zealand soon!

Mister-Sheep

Mister-Sheep
12th Aug 2006, 13:15
Congratulations final destination, check your pms

Mister-Sheep

waterpau
13th Aug 2006, 18:11
Hi guys,

Anybody out there pass Stage 2 on Friday 11th? Got my e-mail and am heading off for Stage 3 at Dibden on 22nd!

:}

waterpau

X-Plane
13th Aug 2006, 21:24
Hey Waterpau,

I passed stage 2 on the 11th as well, very surprised as I thought I had not done too well on that last test. Going to stage 3 on the 22nd as well, ill see you there!

squawkident.
14th Aug 2006, 12:51
Hi - has anybody got stage 4 selection on the 17th (thursday) for the cadet program?
If so where are you staying as i havnt booked accom. yet.
S.I.

FlightDeckDave
16th Aug 2006, 13:45
Hi Guys,

I can see X-plane & Waterpau have got phase 3 assessment on Tuseday 22nd August, was just wondering if anyone else has and what sort of preparation people are doing for the interview part, and what sort of questions you think might come up? Especially regarding aspects on the industry as a whole, and the future of it. Also how much indepth knowledge is neccessary about all the partner airlines of CTC? I know its been asked lots on this thread, but can't do any harm asking again, and maybe people have some more up-to-date info.

Thanks

Reverand Lovejoy
16th Aug 2006, 14:40
Fligth Deck Dave

I have followed this post closely and I guess you passed your stage 2 reassesment as your now asking about stage 3. I am also going to stage 3 shortly for my reassesment but haven't arranged a date yet because I was going to wait until after the pprune seminars!! If thats your plan let me know and we can meet up down there and grab a beer and a chat as we are in similar positions.

Chow for now

PPL152
16th Aug 2006, 14:56
It's common that we aviation-oriented people like hanging around with each other, drinkin beer and flurting with women... this is the European Dream :p

I'll be applying with CTC in about 5yrs time lol

FlightDeckDave
16th Aug 2006, 15:03
Reverand,

You guess correctly, I did pass Phase 2 on Monday and have now gone ahead and booked myself for next Tuesday for Phase 3. However I am slightly kicking myself thinking that I should've waited for the seminar to obtain more information, and allow myself more time to prepare, but on the flip side the longer I leave it the more it builds up and I just want to know my fate! :eek:

Will try and meet up anyway at the seminar definately like the sound of a beer or two. See you there

FDD

sicky
16th Aug 2006, 15:34
Fingers crossed that i also pass phase 2 resit in september :ooh:

FlightDeckDave
16th Aug 2006, 15:52
Sicky,

Good luck with it, I certainly found it easier second time round knew exactly what to expect. And I found pilapt-prep to be very helpful in learning the counting down number exercise and the hands task (man with circle or square). As for the rest of it just concentrate! They have removed one of the tasks from when i did it last time, and thank god for that. It was the grid with all the numbers and you have to choose the correct odd/even numbers in decending order - well you don't have too anymore!

Stall-turn-Go
16th Aug 2006, 16:14
Hi All,
This thread certainly makes a very interesting read. I only hope I progress as well as many of you have.
I'm down to Phase 2 in september too, which date are you heading there Sicky? Sounds like i need to learn long division and fractions again, smashing!

Bigaircraft
16th Aug 2006, 16:47
They have removed one of the tasks from when i did it last time, and thank god for that. It was the grid with all the numbers and you have to choose the correct odd/even numbers in decending order - well you don't have too anymore!

Good news ;) I'm doing it on the 11th, so i still have it to look forward to. Well done FlightDeckDaveon getting through stage 2!

sicky
16th Aug 2006, 17:17
ill be there september the 11th, who else is there on the same date?

NickS
16th Aug 2006, 19:09
When did you guys get your dates for phase 2? I've put my availability date as the 24th September (day after seminar) but no invitation yet to the second phase.

See you at the seminar.

rusty_y2k2
17th Aug 2006, 10:55
Just got the news - i'm through phase 3!

Was anyone else here there yesterday - How'd you do (PM if you like)? Cracking bunch of lads so I hope you all did okay!

As for people with phase 3's coming up, don't worry about it too much - they are all nice people and do their best to put you at ease. The group exercises are good fun and if you just get stuck in you'll almost forget you're being assessed.

The interviews are a bit more scary and it'll pay off if you've done some research into the industry and the planes, but if you're serious about a career in the aviation industry you should be doing that anyway. Just be yourself and relax (applies to the group exercises too).

Oh, and dayum - Dibden Manor is nice!

Bigaircraft
17th Aug 2006, 14:48
The interviews are a bit more scary and it'll pay off if you've done some research into the industry and the planes, but if you're serious about a career in the aviation industry you should be doing that anyway.

When you say industry do you mean the airlines involved in ctc (like their history and stuff) or the industry as a whole? Suppose it'll be a good idea to research both anyway but I thought I'd ask.

Congrats on getting through stage 3!:ok:

Bigaircraft

Pazu888
17th Aug 2006, 15:44
You never know what you're going to be asked, but I prepared for my interview by learning about the CTC partner airlines (history of each one and fleet information), and also reading up about the aviation industry in general, e.g. what are the current "hot topics".

The level of technical questions I think depends on your experience; the ATP guys on my Stage 3 got asked much more technical stuff, where as my interview (cadet) was about teamwork, leadership etc. as I have very little flying experience.

Apart from that there isn't much you can 'prepare' for. You don't want to sound too parrot-like. Have a few examples ready to back up what you want to say, know about your subject and be yourself. You will inevitably get a question you hadn't thought of, and how you cope with that will be important.

Good luck!

Stall-turn-Go
17th Aug 2006, 15:58
I'm down for phase 2 on the 8th Sept. Good luck to the people on the other days. Anyone else down on the 8th?

FlightDeckDave
17th Aug 2006, 16:19
Pazu,

I'm trying to learn about the history and fleet information about CTC's partner airlines for phase 3 interview, and I'm wondering what sort of questions were asked about them? Also was the interview conducted with lots of questions or just a few more indepth ones and it depended on how you answered the questions and giving you the opportunity to show how much you know. I only ask because I know I'll forget to say stuff when in the interview but come out saying "Why didn't I say that...etc!" But then that goes the same for all interviews I guess, and is just practice.

squawkident.
17th Aug 2006, 17:08
POW POW!!
Just found out i passed stage 4 of cadets.
Im am seriously going out of my mind now with happiness-3 years of literally obsessing over flying schools has now become a reality.

Really i just wanted to add my two-pence to this forum as its been extreemly useful thus far for CTC and other flying schools.
My advice for CTC is really what has been said so many other times before in this thread: be yourself and try to relax.
The people are really nice and friendly and as was said to me in stage 3 is that they're not trying to fail but rather trying to pass people.

Im really excited now and so im going to the pub; if anybody has any questions about the application procedure then send me a PM.
Only right to put something back into this thread.
Good luck to all

SI.

Bigaircraft
17th Aug 2006, 19:04
Thanks Pazu888 for putting my mind at ease, i was speculating so much!

Pazu888
17th Aug 2006, 21:15
Pazu,

I'm trying to learn about the history and fleet information about CTC's partner airlines for phase 3 interview, and I'm wondering what sort of questions were asked about them? Also was the interview conducted with lots of questions or just a few more indepth ones and it depended on how you answered the questions and giving you the opportunity to show how much you know. I only ask because I know I'll forget to say stuff when in the interview but come out saying "Why didn't I say that...etc!" But then that goes the same for all interviews I guess, and is just practice.

I learned about when the airlines started, & 5-6 key facts about each one (e.g. Thomsonfly used to be called Britannia), & what aircraft they fly. I wanted to be as prepared as possible, so I made lots of effort in learning all this.

When I got there, the whole interview was about me, how I motivate myself, how I have dealt with certain situations in the past (this is when it's handy to have examples in your head).

The interviewers lead on from what you say, aking what you did, what was the result etc. hence "semi-structured" interview. You do most of the talking, it is your chance to show them what you are like.

I was then asked right at the very end about the aviation industry, and which airline I'd like to fly for (:) ), which gave me the chance to show all my knowledge...

I also had a couple of things in my head that I knew I wanted to say and made sure I said them.

Just be as prepared as you feel you need to be, but also be yourself. And don't worry too much about it, the CTC people will make you feel relaxed!

Pazu888
17th Aug 2006, 21:16
Well done squawkident!!! :ok:

See you in NZ...

Bigaircraft
17th Aug 2006, 21:27
POW POW!!
Just found out i passed stage 4 of cadets.
WELL DONE!:D

squawkident.
17th Aug 2006, 22:22
Thankx very much Pazu and BigAC.

Aint really sunk in yet but im sure it will in a couple of days.
good luck to you as well

SI

dannyboy13
18th Aug 2006, 00:23
I have two questsions which I don't think have been asked before:

1. If I was successful and got onto the CTC scheme.... but shortly after completing the course (and joining an airline) my eyes were to fail the medical 6months into my 7 years with that airline..... Would I then have to pay off the £60,000 bond myself?! I assume that the airline would no longer be interested in me as I cant fly planes....and so they wouldnt pay me....and so the bond wouldn't get paid off!

2. I see that a lot of CTC's partner airlines include airlines such as Kuwait airlines or arabian airlines...or other airlines which are based a long way away from the UK. If one of these airlines were to select me...would that mean that I would be required to live and work in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia for 7 years until the bond was repaid?!

Thanks for your help

Regards

Dan

jb5000
18th Aug 2006, 00:52
1. It would be a good idea to get loss of medical insurance up to about 75 - 80k in case that happens. It is in fact compulsory to start the course!

2. I think you are looking at CTC's client list where they have done consultancy / other work for them. If you go to 'CTC Wings' then 'Partner Airlines' or something like that then you will get a list of airlines that you could potentially work for!

bjkeates
18th Aug 2006, 00:52
Answers to your questions:

1. I very much doubt it. You would take out insurance cover which covers loss of medical certificate. There is a policy which must be taken out to cover this sort of occurrence during the training; I would hope that a similar policy exists for when the training is complete and you're with an airline (can anyone confirm that?) The insurance is expensive, but you'd be foolish not to take it.
(There are exceptions of course - if it's your own fault, e.g. drink-driving, drugs, etc then the policy is void.)

2. There is a difference between a "partner airline" and an airline customer. You're confusing "partner airlines" (http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/0405.html) with "corporate clients". (http://www.ctcaviation.com/0501.html) Partner airlines are those who would normally have a contract in place to take cadets and ATPers from CTC's training scheme. Remember CTC offers far more than just the Wings course, there's a whole range of other services it can provide to airlines which are nothing to do with Wings. "Corporate clients" are those airlines which would have taken advantage of such services.

Put it this way, I'm on the course and I don't expect to be getting sent to work in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia for seven years, and I don't think many of the others here do either! I don't think my girlfriend would be too impressed... :eek:

EDIT sorry jb, looks like we posted at the same time!

dannyboy13
18th Aug 2006, 08:48
Cheers fellas...thats great and clears that up for me

Dan

Troy McClure
18th Aug 2006, 10:23
Incidentally, there is a bug in the CTC website. 'Page not found' when you click 'CTC Wings Airline Partners' in the 'Clients' menu.

You'll find the page here:

http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/0405.html

bjkeates
18th Aug 2006, 13:27
No bug here - it works perfectly fine. Unless CTC have already read this and corrected it...

Mister-Sheep
18th Aug 2006, 14:53
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Just passed phase 4 and have been offered a place on CTC!!!:)
Flying out to New Zealand on the 25th october, not long to go!

Mister-Sheep

Troy McClure
18th Aug 2006, 15:13
Ah. Link only appears to be broken on the CTC Wings pages. Works fine from other pages on the site. Only a typo in the hyperlink anyway, no biggy.

Pazu888
18th Aug 2006, 15:38
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Just passed phase 4 and have been offered a place on CTC!!!:)
Flying out to New Zealand on the 25th october, not long to go!

Mister-Sheep

Well played! :ok:

It's quite a feeling isn't it...

All being well I'll have been out there for about 3 weeks by the time you arrive. Only a few weeks to go... loads of stuff to sort out!

The Mixmaster
18th Aug 2006, 16:55
Through to Stage 3 on Sept 12th at Dibden...sweeeeeeet. I'm off to get munted:ok:

airbuske
18th Aug 2006, 19:27
I'm invited to the phase 2, 1st september. Anybody else going there?
- on aptitude tests: are they interested in your improvement or in your best score?

smudge123
18th Aug 2006, 20:24
Hey,

Does anybody have the latest information about the timescales involved for gaining a place on an AQC and beginning Line training with Easy Jet.

I have been led to believe this may take several months and wondered if anyone had some hard facts.

Cheers

Adrioun
19th Aug 2006, 06:54
Hey there !

Eh Gazz are u the guy from Glasgow from yesterday (18th) ?
It seems like I'm also going to Phase 3 as it says I've passed on the CTC website though I still haven't received any confirmation via e-mail !

If that is true, i can't wait to go through Phase 3 !!!

Good luck to you all, see you soon.

Adrien, FR

EI-Shamrock
19th Aug 2006, 12:20
I know that most people who get on the CTC Wings Cadet Scheme are at least 20, but have there been any/many 18 year olds who have passed selection?

Shamrock :ok:

CPL_Ace
19th Aug 2006, 14:10
- on aptitude tests: are they interested in your improvement or in your best score?

I'm there at 13:00.
I know all about the PILAPT software but need some help as I understand that they combine a lot of the tests together. Can anyone help or give me a clue how they do this. Perhaps any memories of what you had to do on your tests? I know there's a link to the old CTC thread but that's fairly old and I'm :mad: if I can find it!!

I need to get some practice in as it's been a few months without flying - minesweeper just doesn't cut the mustard!

JAW656
19th Aug 2006, 14:15
Hello to the forum, tis my first post :p

Im 18 and have just applied to the CTC scheme, ive got my PPL but have only done 80 hours. Can anyone tell me what to expect in stage 1 if they accept my application, ive read through what people have put here but is there anything no ones mentioned here etc. What are the people like there, are they nice or evil. :ok:

Cheers in advance

Mister-Sheep
19th Aug 2006, 16:18

Hi.
Some of the tests are designed to measure improvement, others to measure best score. ones that measure your improvement give you three runs at the test and rate you on a scale of 1-10. However, dont got too hung up on the improvement thing. For the deviation indicator test (where you have a crosshair that tries to move and you correct) I only got 5-6-5 and I still got through.

Mister-Sheep

Mister-Sheep
19th Aug 2006, 16:29
I'm there at 13:00.
I know all about the PILAPT software but need some help as I understand that they combine a lot of the tests together. Can anyone help or give me a clue how they do this. Perhaps any memories of what you had to do on your tests? I know there's a link to the old CTC thread but that's fairly old and I'm :mad: if I can find it!!

I need to get some practice in as it's been a few months without flying - minesweeper just doesn't cut the mustard!

Hi CPL Ace.

The tests where they combine a lot of tests together measure your multi-tasking ability. They take one of the tests you have tried earlier, and then integrate a second test, and then a third. They get quite difficult, but dont worry almost everyone there at my stage 3 thought they had blown their chances at stage 2 with that test. To be honest, If I were you i'd spend most of the time practicing mathematics. Try this site it is fantastic http://www.thatquiz.com/. Once you are up to speed with the maths itself, get a book on numerical reasoning ( but remember alot of the numerical reasoning exercises are irrelevant) which contains questions involving simple mathematics worded in a way that gets you thinking.

Mister-Sheep

Mister-Sheep
19th Aug 2006, 16:33
Hello to the forum, tis my first post :p

Im 18 and have just applied to the CTC scheme, ive got my PPL but have only done 80 hours. Can anyone tell me what to expect in stage 1 if they accept my application, ive read through what people have put here but is there anything no ones mentioned here etc. What are the people like there, are they nice or evil. :ok:

Cheers in advance

Hello

Stage 1 is the application itself. If you have completed the online section, they will send you a sheet with four quesitons. You must fill these in and fax them back. If they accept your application then its off to bournemouth for stage 2. Oh and btw, the people are lovely!

Mister-Sheep

JAW656
19th Aug 2006, 17:23
Thanks Mister-Sheep (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=130527), im faxing the questions to them tommorow as soon as im up.

airbuske
19th Aug 2006, 17:53
Thanks for the advice Mister S.

I got to be there at 13h as well for the ATP. But I believe that's all mixed up with Wings as well.

The accommodation suggested in Christchurch can according to CTC be:
1) stour Villa
2) Grosvenor Lodge
3) Druid House hotel
4) The fisherman's Hunt
5) The Avon Causeway Hotel

Anyone a good suggestion? 1 to 5? I want a good night rest!

thanks for the link on maths! Is the test on all subject referred to on that site. (sinus, cosinus, x3?)

Mister-Sheep
19th Aug 2006, 20:11
Thanks for the advice Mister S.

I got to be there at 13h as well for the ATP. But I believe that's all mixed up with Wings as well.

The accommodation suggested in Christchurch can according to CTC be:
1) stour Villa
2) Grosvenor Lodge
3) Druid House hotel
4) The fisherman's Hunt
5) The Avon Causeway Hotel

Anyone a good suggestion? 1 to 5? I want a good night rest!

thanks for the link on maths! Is the test on all subject referred to on that site. (sinus, cosinus, x3?)

I stayed at the Avon Causeway, that was a fabulous place, beautiful, cheap, comfy bed, quiet and fantastic food. Highly recommended + you have the novelty of having your breakfast in a train carriage! Have to give them a 5.

As for the maths, just concerntrate on the first section arithmetic. Thats all the test consists of. Its worth noting that the maths test consists of 15 questions in 15 mins. You are given a pen and you can make notes on the paper. each question is multiple choice with 3 options. Also there is no penalty for guessing answers so if you run out of time or cant figure out a question just make a random guess

Mister-Sheep

sicky
19th Aug 2006, 22:45
i stayed there aswell and i agree its lovely, breakfast was nice too. You can find cheaper places if you book early enough, though

smudge123
20th Aug 2006, 09:45
Hey Again,

Does anybody have the latest information about the timescales involved for gaining a place on an AQC and beginning Line training with Easy Jet.

I have been led to believe this may take several months, due to training delays and wondered if anyone had some hard facts.

Cheers

CPL_Ace
20th Aug 2006, 11:40
Thanks guys for all your help. (mister Sheep esp.)
Might give that B&B a go too.
:D

BearAirhead
20th Aug 2006, 19:33
Ok peeps, I did not pass the 15 q's maths test at CTC the other day. But they're kindly allowing me to take a resit next week. so...

... can any1 who's taken the test remeber what the questions were like? i kinda blanked out during the test. so i need some advice on where to target my revision this week.

and can u remeber specific examples? rather than just "revise long division" coz thats all that the previous posts seem to be saying.

feel free to PM me.

and many thanks in advance.

From The Bear

The Mixmaster
20th Aug 2006, 19:58
Easy Bear, same thing happened to me on Friday man, I passed aptitude test but have to retake the maths test at Stage 3 on 12th Sept. Having got pretty much no sleep the night before I'm pretty chuffed to get through to phase three tbh, thought PILAPT was pretty tough.

As far as I can remember there was a question on currency conversion eg. The Exchange rate is $1.9 to the euro and 1.6 euro to the £. If I have $80 how many £'s do I have.

There was one on converting to US gallons, still not sure if that was a trick question or not.

As for the rest I can't really remember other than you're average long division and long multiplication. Good luck with your retake man:ok:

BearAirhead
21st Aug 2006, 09:54
Much appreciated Master Mix... yeh im getting flashbacks of those sorts of questions.. so if anyone else has any little gems like that then plse do PM me!

Bear

leigh_logan
21st Aug 2006, 12:28
Hi,

As you guys have already done stage 2, could you please give my abit of info about it.

I know about the maths and the aptitude tests, but is there any english tests.

Flies-like-a-chicken
21st Aug 2006, 15:09
Hi,

I know about the maths and the aptitude tests, but is there any english tests.

There are no English tests. Ho ho ho...

Mister-Sheep
21st Aug 2006, 15:58
Leigh Logan

I refer you back to page 48 of this thread where remotecUK posted a break down of all sections of stage 2 (original post of this was around page 5-6 but i cant be bothered finding that). This is a very accurate description of the sections of pilapt. things have changed a little since then, counting exercise and the shapes one are not included on their own now, but are still included in the multi-tasking exercise at the end.

Mister-Sheep

ndw22
21st Aug 2006, 19:27
Quick question... for the CTC maths tests (and any others for that matter), do you get pen and paper for rough working? Could be seriously screwed otherwise!

Cheers! :)

Mister-Sheep
21st Aug 2006, 19:30
Yes you do. Look at the previous page I posted quite a bit of info on the maths paper

leigh_logan
21st Aug 2006, 21:11
Cheers guys, thank god (no english test) one less thing to worry about!!!!

dannyboy13
22nd Aug 2006, 14:02
I soon have my stage 3 assessment with the group exercises and interview. Does anyone know if a presentation forms part of the group exercise?...or do the assessors just assess your interaction with others rather than your presentation skills?

Thanks

D

invisiblemoon
22nd Aug 2006, 15:50
I am already type rated (737) but unable to secure a job. I'm contemplating now the idea to apply to this sheme. What do you think about my situation regarding the selection process ? Am I still qualified to apply and what would they think about it ?

Borat Pilot
22nd Aug 2006, 17:21
All,

"Greetings from Kazakhstan and wonderful city of Almaty. I have recently travelling to most great country of United Kingdom and attend the "Phase 3 Selection Day" at CTC's most prestigious Dibden manner in Southampton which is English coastal town. Here you will see my reportings on what to expect on this day. I hope you like!!! Jagshemash!"

Here is a complete and in detail run down on what to expect at the CTC Phase 3 selection day.

Day Start
You will be asked to arrive at CTC's Dibden manner at 0845 for an 0900 start. Dibden manner is easy to find by car – not sure on public transport.

The day will start with you giving you introductions to the rest of the candidates for selection. CTC make out that they "are on your side" and are "here to select and not reject." This sort of puts you at ease but in some respects gives the impression that the process is really about box ticking - provided that you tick all the boxes then you will be selected.

I hope that this guide will enable you to tick all the boxes!!

There are four people from the CTC assessment team that will be monitoring you throughout the day. Two HR type people and the other two airline pilots. All have been in the game a long time ex BA etc and the airline pilots are the old school types with modern day recruitment training.

Introductions
Some people kept theirs quite short and sweet but my advice would be to tell them everything about yourself. This seems to go down better. After all the day is about you! So feel free to go into detail about your hobbies and interests, flying experience, achievements. The interviewers will make notes on this.

I would think about what you are going to say beforehand and ensure that nothing negative comes across. Its easy to ramble on about something and then think afterwards that what you said didn’t sound too good! Make a few notes the night before about the things you want to introduce about yourself.

Introductions Key Points:
- Make some notes beforehand on what you want to say about yourself.
- Make sure its all positive.
- Don’t be afraid to go into detail above positive hobbies, achievements etc.
- Emphasise interest in aviation.

Group Exercises
When you arrive at CTC you will be given an itinerary for the day ahead. It will indicate the teams that you will be split into (typically around 4 people) for the group exercise. This is a nice number as its easier to interact with a smaller amount of people. For the group exercises you will be monitored by two of the CTC team for exercise one (a HR person and a pilot) and the other two for exercise two. All group exercises are timed. There are no right and wrong answers for the exercises and its more about how you interact than the solution you come up with.

Group Exercise One - Desert Island
Plot Summary: You are out on a dive boat, the weather turns bad, you are getting washed towards some rocks and a remote island. You have to choose from a list of items what you will take with you. Each person can only carry so many items.

This is a timed exercise split into two/three sections (cant remember). The first section you have to choose what to take with you. The next section you have to choose on how to use those items and also they give you a list of things to put in order of priority e.g. take people to hospital, organise food etc. Again no right and wrong answers – its more about team interaction and how you go about prioritising things.

Group Exercise Two – Building Blocks
For a start it’s not Lego! I can’t remember what its called but its hard to build anything meaningful with it! This exercise is also split into sections. The first of which is to ascertain what you have available and how you will use it. The next section is building as a team, the following is building in silence and then CTC will throw in some spanners such as design changes etc to see how you handle it. Not to hard.

Group Exercises Key Points
- No right or wrong answer.
- Don’t try and dominate the group – they do not ask you to assign a team leader.
- Don’t be afraid to make your points to the other team members as long as you can back them up.
- Don’t be afraid to make decisions or say “I think we should do this….”
- CTC are assessing leadership potential but you cant be seen to dominate.

Interview
The interview is split into two sections. Competency based questions and flying based questions. There wont be an obvious split between the sections. Both people will talk to you, the HR person and the Pilot. They will both ask flying related and competency based questions.

A bit of background on these types of interviews: Its really a question of box ticking – I personally don’t think its any harder than that. The way these things work is that one person asks questions not really listening to what you say but often going "yes, that’s good" and "ok" and "thanks for answering that". This does not mean that you are answering the questions well!! The other person will be noting down what you say not what they think. They will then get together afterwards and discuss your answers.

Interviews of this type typically score each question on how you answer it. You have to be sure that you give a real world example and not what you "would do" if you were in that situation. If you haven’t had that experience well that’s fine – what can you do? You could just say “No I have never led a team but am fully prepared to do so”.

You can prepare for this type of interview quite easily. If you feel that this is a weak area then you can buy a book on common interview questions. Not perhaps to use the text book answers given but to prepare for the questions that they are going to ask and to think about the answer you will give. Why not be prepared than come up with something that will possibly sound negative on the day? You can guarantee that the usual questions will be in there:

"Tell us about a time you disagreed with someone."
Think about this carefully – you don’t want to be negative. They will follow it up with “what did you do to resolve the disagreement”

"Tell us about what makes you angry"
Do you get angry - dont we all?? Again try not to be negative or at least portray your anger as wanting a positive outcome.

"Why do you want to be a pilot"
Of course you do? But why!!! BUT WHY!!!! Is it because of the fit totty cabin crew you will be working with, the chance to travel, your status as a pilot when your down the pub. Well dont say any of the above. How about oppertunity to travel, chance to become a captain, meeting an ambition etc etc.

"What will you do if you don’t get this job"
Its highly likely that some people will be put off for life if they dont get the "job" with CTC due to the high costs. This is not what CTC want to hear!!!!! Make sure you tell them that you will bust your balls to become a pilot no matter what and happily sell your granny and mortgage yourself up to the eyeballs or whatever to become a pilot. The reality is probably very different for a lot of people!

"Why have you only become interested in flying only now"
You need to have a good answer for this.

"Tell us about a time you have led a team"
See above.

"How do you deal with conflicts"
Again get across a positive outcome and have a positive way of dealing with conflicts.

Interview Key Points
- Practise your interview technique beforehand - use a mirror to judge facial expressions etc.
- This is a competency-based interview.
- Use real examples not what you think you would do.
- Its ok to say that you haven’t yet achieved something but are ready to do so.
- Take time to think about answers – this is acceptable. Use this time to think up positive examples.
- Practise answers to common questions and ensure you get the right answer across.
- Body language is important in interviews.

Feedback – or lack of it !
From feedback I have received from other candidates be warned that CTC do not give any feedback what so ever on your performance on the day. If you dont make it through then you will have absolutely no idea on the areas that you need to improve upon for future interviews. This in my opinion takes the p1ss a bit.

I think that you have easily covered CTC's costs with the £170 you have paid - the least they could do is offer a few lines of feedback!! If you are desperate to see the feedback I’m pretty sure that you are entitled to do so under the data protection act.

You will shortly hear from CTC (next day) if you have been successful or not.

End
I hope that you have found this summary useful. This is my personal take on the process. Others may have found it different. All the above however is true – or was when I went through it in terms of what to expect. As for the interview stuff above Ive tried really to cover off what to expect and how I think it should be handled.

Id prefer questions to be put on this thread but I think I’ve more or less covered off Phase 3. Hope this helps!!

Borat

The Mixmaster
22nd Aug 2006, 17:49
Do you need plough experience?

CPL_Ace
22nd Aug 2006, 18:17
Are there marks lost for contraversial stereo-typing of other very helpful candidates??:=

Adrioun
22nd Aug 2006, 18:27
The question is: did you pass Stage 3 ?

Thx for the tips, which are quite obvious but it is still good to have other's experience and feedback. And genrerally speaking as well. I don't think the last post from CPL Ace was very nice. What Borat said was obvious but good to keep in mind. Of course, playing a role and acting like a bot during an interview is definitly the wrong way to go. All Im saying is that feedback from people is good to have, just take out whatever seems useful to you.

Assessors are looking for the "little special" in every person that can make the difference and that s what it is all about !!

Thank you borat anyways,

:)

CPL_Ace
22nd Aug 2006, 18:34
Apologies, my message was aimed at Mixmaster not Borat.

I've kept this info on a private document for future use

Well done Borat!

The Mixmaster
22nd Aug 2006, 19:40
Sense of humour transplant needed for CPL ACE...anyone? anyone? You ever seen Borat mate?

Borat Pilot - cheers for the useful advice man:ok:

FlightDeckDave
22nd Aug 2006, 20:04
Borat you weren't there today by any chance were you?

15sabu
23rd Aug 2006, 08:18
To the people who were on Stage 3 yesterday down at Dibden - good luck with the result today!

Didn't get much sleep last night, don't know about you guys! :bored:

waterpau
23rd Aug 2006, 08:30
Good luck to you too, 15sabu. Same here with the sleep - I've got bags under my eyes the size of potatoes...

waterpau :bored:

FlightDeckDave
23rd Aug 2006, 09:05
The waiting is killing me....:}

X-Plane
23rd Aug 2006, 09:10
Its gonna be a long day.......

Adrioun
23rd Aug 2006, 09:44
keep us informed guys !!
by the way, any of you know statiscally speaking how many people actually pass Stage 2 ? and stage 3 ?

thx, and good luck with the waiting, must be horrible !! :)

Borat Pilot
23rd Aug 2006, 10:24
"Greetings English friends from greatest city Almaty in Kazakhstan. I pleased my advise has been liked and my reportings from English city Southampton and grand Dibden Manor house have found been much useful."

No offence taken from anyone in the replies :). When writing in the style of Kazakstan's most famous reporter you sort of expect it!! Despite that I glad people have found my advice informative and useful.

Thx for the tips, which are quite obvious but it is still good to have other's experience and feedback.

Yes, I agree that the tips are obvious - but everything is obvious once you know! Its worth refreshing them for people that...

a) dont have interview experience
b) have not had a competency based interview before

... and its good to know what to expect. :)

In answer to questions...

Did I pass Phase 3 - I can neither confirm or deny this. :)
Was I at Dibden yesterday - I can neither confirm or deny this. :)

Good luck to everyone awaiting their results on Phase 3 today !!

Borat

"If you wish to see more my reportings from around world please visit www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) and search 'Borat'. I hope you like!! I like !! "

waterpau
23rd Aug 2006, 10:42
Not only is the suspense of receiving my e-mail from yesterday killing me, but I'm now baffled as to which of yesterday's candidates could possible have taken on Borat's identity to write these pieces.

I'm picturing the faces, but I can't decide which one of you it is.

Intriguing :hmm:

CPL_Ace
23rd Aug 2006, 14:35
Sense of humour transplant needed for CPL ACE...anyone? anyone? You ever seen Borat mate?

Borat Pilot - cheers for the useful advice man:ok:

After careful analysis and a smack in the face - I was indeed hasty. Little did I know that BORAT was a fictional character. Apparently I do need to stay in more and get a "sense of humour transplant". Soz guys, I did think it weird that his english radically improved over the course of the post :oh: :O

This aside, there is now a big mention about Easy Jets recruitment policy and CTC on there recently updated site.

Bigaircraft
23rd Aug 2006, 15:29
To the guys/girls going for stage two re-assessment on the 11th sept.

Hows the preparation coming along? I'm not so bothered about the aptitude tests myself, I'm sure the point on which I failed was the "hands" one, I misread the instructions and didn't do as was asked :ugh:. It's the maths test thats bothering me the most (yes I failed that too!;) ) ha ha. Hope u guys arent stressing too much!

15sabu
23rd Aug 2006, 15:44
I can't believe that I have not recieved a result from yday's stage 3 yet!

Im hoping there isn't a trend here - I was the VERY last to be interviewed and its increasingly looking like I will be the last to hear my result.

Come on CTC bring it on!

Adrioun
23rd Aug 2006, 17:23
no news, good news ! Don't worry buddy you'll be fine !

sicky
23rd Aug 2006, 18:02
To the guys/girls going for stage two re-assessment on the 11th sept.

Hows the preparation coming along? I'm not so bothered about the aptitude tests myself, I'm sure the point on which I failed was the "hands" one, I misread the instructions and didn't do as was asked :ugh:. It's the maths test thats bothering me the most (yes I failed that too!;) ) ha ha. Hope u guys arent stressing too much!
well i got some terrible news today which has put a damper on my preparations but that's another story. My biggest problems is the cost to get down there, along with the £180ish for the test it's going to be roughly the same again. I don't fancy a 9hour drive each way but flights aren't cheap either...and the nearest i can fly to is southampton!

Not to worry, i'll be there no matter what!

Bigaircraft
24th Aug 2006, 18:18
well i got some terrible news today which has put a damper on my preparations but that's another story. My biggest problems is the cost to get down there, along with the £180ish for the test it's going to be roughly the same again. I don't fancy a 9hour drive each way but flights aren't cheap either...and the nearest i can fly to is southampton!

Not to worry, i'll be there no matter what!

Yeah I found that a problem too, the only flights to BOH from Scotland go from Glasgow Prestwick which is probably the hardest place to get to!
Not sure what would be the easiest way from Northumberland. I flew into Southampton last time and its not too difficult getting to Bournemouth from there. But with the costs added on its a bit of a nightmare isn't it? With regards to the news you got, I hope your ok.

Adrioun
24th Aug 2006, 19:28
why not take the bus. Book it online on Nationalexpress.com. Pretty cheap, comfort is ok. I've done this twice so far and they are always on time, very frequent buses. Great way to get anywhere. And if it is any cheaper for you, just fly over to Heathrow and take the bus from the central bus station.

Adrioun
24th Aug 2006, 19:38
by the way, how about all the guys that went through Phase 3 the other day ? Any of you got the email from CTC ?

Keep us informed guys !

15sabu
24th Aug 2006, 21:08
I received my email today from CTC!! After two unbelievably long days of constant email checking and sleepness nights, I am glad to say I passed Stage 3 (from the other day) and am through to stage 4!

Can't wait for it!

Good luck to all inolved on any stage of the CTC assessments :D

sicky
25th Aug 2006, 01:21
To be honest i'm looking for a quick way to get there, so as to preserve energy and stay fresh, but it looks like the easiest and cheapest route is an 8hour drive each way!!

The train is the same amount of time, 3 changes including a tube journey, and £170

Flybe to Southampton is £70 each way plus journeys to Bournemouth.

Petrol and a hotel seem to be the best options for me :ugh:

mattd2k
25th Aug 2006, 07:01
Received the best email ever yesterday afternoon telling me I passed Stage 3 on Wednesday. :)

Would love to hear from the other 5 there on the 24th, I think I made a mistake on the email address I gave Andreas. Must have been the stress of it all! :\ Hope you all made it.

Good luck to all those going through the whole process. This thread is a goldmine of useful information.

Matt. (The older one!!!)

pre3mhjt
28th Aug 2006, 11:29
Anybody got Stage 2 booked for this Friday? (1st Sept) PM me, might be good to meet up before hand?

flyhiguy28
28th Aug 2006, 14:38
Hi all,

I've just been reading the CTC Wings threads and found them most interesting! I've just completed my online application and am faxing the answers to the four questions tomorrow.

It sounds as though you guys are all a stage or two ahead of me so i'm reading with interest!

I'm new to the avaition industry, got 350 hours military flying but absolutely no knowledge of civvy stuff.

I'll be following all of your posts with interest... cheers!

Luciferus
29th Aug 2006, 17:38
I'm in for stage 2 this Friday, would be happy to meet up with anyone else who is taking part on that day. I will be staying at the Avon Causeway Hotel.

NickS
29th Aug 2006, 17:47
flyhiguy28 =>
Is it the cadets scheme you've applied for?
Let me know what date you get for stage 2, I'm still waiting for an invitation, but I'm sure they'll let me go soon.

Reverand Lovejoy
29th Aug 2006, 18:34
Guys,

I'm booked in for a resit at stage 3 on the 20th sept. Is it really £100 for the resit? I thought the only charge was at stage 2??!! Anywho - obviously I'll be there!!!!! Good luck to the stage 2 guys this friday, especially pre3mhjt........go-on mike!!!!!!!!

The Reverand

Streety
30th Aug 2006, 08:56
flyhiguy28,

Was in a similar situation to you albeit with about 100 less hours, and I leave for Hamilton next week. Let me know if you need any specific advice.

Streety

pre3mhjt
1st Sep 2006, 19:22
Lovejoy, I love ya!Thanks for all the help mate you've been a star. So I made the long journey to Bournemouth today, did the tests and made the even longer journey home, but am very pleased to say that I made it through to stage 3 on the 20th Sept. If anybody has any questions I can help with concerning this stage then please ask now while its still fresh in my mind, Ive got so much out of PPRuNe Id love to give something back if I can. Reverand, I'll see you there in 3 weeks!

Reverand Lovejoy
1st Sep 2006, 20:01
Ay up m8,
Well done M.T. You haven't got to thank me mate, stage 2 (like the rest) is all down to you. Congratulations on getting through. Now you have experienced THAT last capacity test you can see what I was talking about!!!! Did you end up a dribbling wreck too?
Glad to hear R.B got through also. Hope all goes as well for stage 3 as stage 2!! Maybe we'll get on the same CP group!! I know A.H, S.C and D.W made it onto the same group and should be in Hamilton now. If you read this guys please let us know how it is going.

Just to fill you in I've got my medical and my criminal record check so should have two less things to do. Only thing now is to pass my stage 3 resit and have a go in the sim. Long road ahead but I feel as though I could actually pull this off!

Anyone else out there going for stage 3 on the 20th? Lets meet up for a beer (or a coke!!) and get over those icebreaker nerves. Drop me a p.m if your resitting like me and we may be able to give advice to people running at it for the first time (not too sure if that's a great idea seeing as I failed it.)

Either way - good luck all!!

Mister-Sheep
1st Sep 2006, 22:02
Hey Streety.

Are you on CP41 by any chance?

Mister-Sheep

Streety
1st Sep 2006, 22:13
Certainly am mate. Looking forward to 24hrs on an aircraft next week...

Did I meet you yesterday?

Troy McClure
2nd Sep 2006, 11:16
Anyone from the afternoon Stage 2 session yesterday got an e-mail yet? PM me when you do.

Troy.

raza boy
2nd Sep 2006, 15:05
Hi everyone, Iv been reading the threads for weeks now finally plucked up the courage to post one Myself! I no Its ages away but has anybody out there got phase 2 On October 6th?

Mister-Sheep
3rd Sep 2006, 01:42
Certainly am mate. Looking forward to 24hrs on an aircraft next week...

Did I meet you yesterday?

Great. Well i'm on CP41 too:)

you didnt meet me yesterday, I will be doing the short foundation course and am flying out on the 25th October with two other guys from CP41 doing the short course. I think they are doing a seperate meet and greet on the 28th Sept for the short foundation course people. How many were there yesterday?

Cheers. Look forwards to meeting ya in October

Mister-Sheep

Luciferus
3rd Sep 2006, 11:54
I was informed this morning that I passed stage 2 last Friday, and I just want to thank everyone on this forum who provided such great advice, THANK YOU!

If anyone else is in for stage 3 on the 26th, please PM me, it might be of advantage to get together on the day before the interview.

Jimbo_P
3rd Sep 2006, 18:55
Hey FD,

I'm down for CP42 too! Where did you hear about the 28th? Guess I'll see you there!

JP

Depster
4th Sep 2006, 10:06
:ok: Congratulations Luciferus

I got the same happy mail:) .....see you on the 26th

Pazu888
4th Sep 2006, 11:13
Hey FD,

I'm down for CP42 too! Where did you hear about the 28th? Guess I'll see you there!

JP

I'm also on CP42. Heard about 28th from CTC, gave them a ring about a few things.

4 October... so close!!

Anyone else on CP42?

Streety
4th Sep 2006, 11:27
Great. Well i'm on CP41 too:)

you didnt meet me yesterday, I will be doing the short foundation course and am flying out on the 25th October with two other guys from CP41 doing the short course. I think they are doing a seperate meet and greet on the 28th Sept for the short foundation course people. How many were there yesterday?

Cheers. Look forwards to meeting ya in October

Mister-Sheep

There were 9 people there yesterday, including one guy who's on the short foundation course with yourself. Was a good day - covered some interesting stuff.

See you in a few weeks.

dyingforflying
4th Sep 2006, 12:57
is anyone going to AQC on the 16th of october? and does anybody have some more info? where it is, when you know if you fly boeing or airbus? and can you prepare yourself? anything is okay.

ramon76
4th Sep 2006, 16:54
Hi all!

I need help from someone not english, n order to fill up the ATP wings application..... I am spanish, and I am finding it quite difficult....
the grades, subjects, etc are different......
please, any help?
I would like to be in touch with non uk citizens to make clear things a bit....

cheers!

Volant77
5th Sep 2006, 16:47
Hola,

I am French and I always adapt my grades. For GCSE I wrote the sujects that I took at that age and adapted the grades. In Frnace we used to get a grade out of 40. So if for example I got 36/40 I write down an A, if it's 31/40 a B etc...
I've always done that for all my jobs applications in the UK, and people know it's different so they are ok with it.

Happier?

Volant77
5th Sep 2006, 16:50
By the way, just found out that I'm going to stage 2 on 29th September. Anyone else?

JAW656
6th Sep 2006, 17:28
Im going down on 6th october! huzzah, lol :} Anyone else booked this date?

FlyingSpanner
6th Sep 2006, 19:13
Does anyone know if the Radar Screen test is used for the CTC stage 2. Have it on a prep disk but cannot see if it is used.

If it is used do you need to remember the co-ordinates or can you use a bit of paper to write the directions down. Bit much for my brain to remember, especially if they are using the 8 directions!!!

Cheers
Spanner :ok:

JediDude
6th Sep 2006, 19:27
No, its not used. At least it wasn't last year when I was there.

viggi_pilot
6th Sep 2006, 20:16
Hi all
Anyone else here booked for the stage 3 on the 12th September? Would be good to try and meet a few people before hand!

And does anyone have any advice on what to expect for it? I know there is loads on here about some parts of it all (Thanks Borat! - Loads of info from one of your previous posts!) But do they ask you questions about the partner airlines and the CTC facilites/fleet etc...???

Cheers.

squawkident.
6th Sep 2006, 21:30
I know its a bit far off but is anybody enrolled on CP44 by any chance (long course)

Would be going sooner but family commitments mean i have to stay for a while in the UK first.

SI

Pazu888
7th Sep 2006, 09:29
Hi all
Anyone else here booked for the stage 3 on the 12th September? Would be good to try and meet a few people before hand!

And does anyone have any advice on what to expect for it? I know there is loads on here about some parts of it all (Thanks Borat! - Loads of info from one of your previous posts!) But do they ask you questions about the partner airlines and the CTC facilites/fleet etc...???

Cheers.

There is loads of stuff on here already about the interview, but generally speaking:

They will ask you a few questions (probably towards the end of your interview) to check your general knowledge of the aviation industry and the partner airlines. In my case this wasn't very extensive.

They asked me which airline I would like to fly for, and asked me about current/future important issues in the commercial aviation industry.

I didn't get anything about CTC fleet etc.

rusty_y2k2
7th Sep 2006, 15:53
Sadly I didn't get through stage 3, but i've been invited back in 18 months time !! What is the point in that?
Gaz

18 months does seem a bit excessive..... If they think that you are good enough to potentially be successful at a second pass of phase 3 then you would have thought they'd be keen to give you another go sooner rather than later. Did you try asking about the time seperation, the reasoning, and whether it was negotiable?

Bad luck anyway chap, I hope it doesn't deter you from chasing your dream!

Jimbo_P
7th Sep 2006, 16:24
Sadly I didn't get through stage 3, but i've been invited back in 18 months time !! What is the point in that?

Gaz

Gaz,

If it's any help to you. I failed at phase 3 16 months ago. I went away and did some flying, got a job in London to sort myself out financially, then reapplied last month. I leave for New Zealand on the 4th October.

Never give up hope mate :ok:

Bigaircraft
7th Sep 2006, 21:38
Right I'm setting off for "the south" tomorrow to resit phase 2 on monday, anyone else who's gonna be there on the 11th I'll see you there! Good luck to all
Ba/c

Neo_450
8th Sep 2006, 13:20
Hello to everyone
I'm going to phase 2 on september 22nd.I don't know where to stay it would be nice if can share accomodation.I'll be in bournemouth the 21st.Hope to have some news.see ya

Adrioun
8th Sep 2006, 13:37
hey guys

i've also failed phase 3 on the 6th and also invited back in 6 month.
I'll work and my own feedback, and start my plan B to come back and succeed hopefully in 6 months from now.

I'm glad to see someone who has been invited back just got through Phase 3 finally, good job there !:ok:

Good luck to all going through the selection, and for those failing as me, we gotta try to keep it up !!

Ciao ! :ok:

X-Plane
8th Sep 2006, 15:40
Just want to say thankyou to everyone who has posted information about the scheme and the selection process on this thread. If everything goes to plan (medical/loan application etc) I should be leaving for NZ on Oct 4th. Anyone else going to NZ on this date. Also, is anyone else going to the meet & greet on sept 28th?

Ant

FlightDeckDave
8th Sep 2006, 16:13
I should also be going out on the 4th and have the meet & greet on the 28th so see you guys there.

FDD

Jimbo_P
8th Sep 2006, 16:35
I see there's quite a few of us already for the 28th and the 4th!! So far I count Final Destination, Flight Deck Dave, X-Plane, Pazu888 and myself!

Any more CP42'ers out there? :ok:

leigh_logan
8th Sep 2006, 17:37
Hi all,
Anyone else here booked for stage 2 on the 6th october? it Would be good to try and meet a few people before the group discussion!

Regards
Lee ;)

JAW656
8th Sep 2006, 17:40
Ive gone through all the posts and got some contradicting info, just wondering do you actually have a 1 on 1 interview with anyone at stage 2, talking about experiance etc? :confused:

The Mixmaster
8th Sep 2006, 18:13
There's no interview at phase 2, you've got that all to look forward to at phase 3 which I'm headin down for on the 12th. I'll see you there viggi_pilot and everyone else!

JAW656
8th Sep 2006, 18:15
cheers mix master, im going down for stage 2 on the 6th too lee.

Stall-turn-Go
11th Sep 2006, 10:16
Hi All,

Great to hear everyones progress, Congratulations to all that have recently passed different stages.

I passed Stage 2 on the 8th and have Stage 3 on the 20th!!! so not much time to cram (any help much appreciated). If anyone else is booked up for this day it'd be great to get chatting ASAP.

Great thread, keep posting everyone. Would be really good to hear from recent graduates of the programme to hear what lies ahead in the big wide world of employment and what they think of the programme now they've finished.

Regards

The Mixmaster
11th Sep 2006, 14:29
Anyone know of any good sites where you can print off practice mental arithmetic tests? Got my retake at phase 3 tomorrow and wouldn't mind doing some last minute cramming.

Stall-turn-Go
11th Sep 2006, 14:59
Hi Mixmaster

Found these quite useful practice stuff:

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/mathstest.htm

http://www.excitingfutures.com/numericalreasoning.htm

http://www.assessmentday.co.uk/Practice%20Graduate%20Aptitude%20Test1_numerical.htm

Some are for use with a calculator but can be done easily enough with pencil and paper, just forget the time limits they suggest.

Enjoy:ok:

The Mixmaster
11th Sep 2006, 15:13
legend:ok:

Mister-Sheep
11th Sep 2006, 16:34
Mixmaster,

Try this site for maths practice, just do the arithmetic section.
http://www.thatquiz.com/tq/practice.html?arithmetic

Mister-Sheep

JT26
11th Sep 2006, 17:04
Hi all,

I'm just about to start my 2nd year at university at the tender age of 19, studying Psyschology and naturally my thoughts are somewhat occupied about what I'm going to do at the end of my 3 years (the thought of a desk job or law which is what I'm expected to go into makes me a die a little inside). I've been interested in being a commercial pilot for a number of months now having been exposed to the lifestyle by my girlfriend's mother who is a captain for BA (lucky person) and absolutely loves what she does, seeing lots of fantastic places.

Doing research and sifting through all the propaganda leaflets provided by the Aviation schools that offer Ab initio APP courses has brought me to the conclusion that they're all the best and that they all offer me a better chance of employment than each other :ugh: .

Reading this thread, a lot of people seem very positive about CTC and I have a few questions. Firstly, does the fact that I have no flying experience affect my chances of entry onto CTC programme?
Secondly, does my having a host of A's and A*'s at gcse and 3 A's at A level (in Business Studies, Biology and History) put me in better or worse standing than other candidates or are the grade requirements merely a way of separating the wheat from the chaff? I also got a 1:1 in my first year so am pretty confident of at least a 2:1 after the 3 years.
Thirdly, is a Wings graduate tied to whichever airline sponsors/takes them on for type training for a number of years? If so, how many and does this bother you? Lastly, which airlines take on Wings graduates and is it common for one to stay with those airlines for an entire career?

Answers and comments to this would be most appreciated and I confess that I'm quite new to this so any help would be fantastic.

Cheers :ok:

NickS
11th Sep 2006, 17:20
JT26=>
I'm still waiting to go for stage 2, so don't think I speak from experience, but if you read through the thread, there are people who got onto the course without flying experience. However, I think it's worth giving it a go if you have no flying experience at all. I got a bit bored while doing my masters this summer and just went for a trial flight on a whim. It was just fantastic. It also convinces you that flying is the career for you and gives you determination to fight for it. I also thought they'd ask in the interview why I never bothered getting at least some flying time and there's no real answer to that.

I can't say whether your grades'll put you in a better position in terms of selection, but they won't hurt your chances.

Have a look at the CTC website for your airline related questions. You get to turn down an offer of employment, but only a limited number of times. You're financially tied to your airline for 7 years, but I think it's only financial.

Reverand Lovejoy
11th Sep 2006, 17:41
NickS,
You get to turn down an offer of employment, but only a limited number of times.
Hmmmmmmmm....... true to a degree because CTC say "While you are not allowed to choose your emplyer, you are allowed to turn down an offer from a partner airline. You get two chances to do so and thats the limit."

"However, if you turn down this opportunity then it is unlikely we will offer you another opportunity"

All this info is straight off of the CTC website FAQ section so have a filter through.

The bit about bonding is true also. You dont have to stay with your partner airline, but if you leave early you will be responsable for the loan repayments.

In fact here you go - fill your boots mate. Hope all your questions are answered here------------> http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/040204.html

Hope this helps

The Reverand:ok:

sicky
11th Sep 2006, 23:55
How did everybody else get on with their stage 2 resits yesterday? (Monday 11th)

bjkeates
12th Sep 2006, 01:59
Reading this thread, a lot of people seem very positive about CTC and I have a few questions. Firstly, does the fact that I have no flying experience affect my chances of entry onto CTC programme?

Absolutely not - that's one of the main points of the Wings Cadets programme. Desire and motivation is far more important.

Secondly, does my having a host of A's and A*'s at gcse and 3 A's at A level (in Business Studies, Biology and History) put me in better or worse standing than other candidates or are the grade requirements merely a way of separating the wheat from the chaff?

I don't think it's necessarily a deciding factor, but I got similar results and the impression I got is that they notice it and maybe look upon it favourably in terms of your ability to learn and succeed. I'm only speculating, though - I don't know that for certain.

Lastly, which airlines take on Wings graduates and is it common for one to stay with those airlines for an entire career?

There is a page dedicated to this on the CTC website.

akindofmagic
12th Sep 2006, 03:46
NickS,

Hmmmmmmmm....... true to a degree because CTC say "While you are not allowed to choose your emplyer, you are allowed to turn down an offer from a partner airline. You get two chances to do so and thats the limit."

"However, if you turn down this opportunity then it is unlikely we will offer you another opportunity"

Just to clarify; that particular section of the FAQ is outdated, as it deals with the consequences of turning down the offer of a place on the wings course, because a pre-selected place was not offered. These pre-selected places do not exist anymore, as far as I am aware. The decision on which airline people will be offered is not now made until approximately midway through the course. I'm pretty sure that one still gets the opportunity to turn down the offer of placement with up to two partner airlines without any problem.

Reverand Lovejoy
12th Sep 2006, 06:25
AKoM

Thanks for clearing that up. I was confussed a bit too. Is that the only outdated part of the FAQ as I have based a bit of study on this area for my upcoming interview:ugh:

Cheers

Pazu888
12th Sep 2006, 10:21
Firstly, does the fact that I have no flying experience affect my chances of entry onto CTC programme?

Nope, I only had half an hour when I applied, and I leave for NZ on 4th Oct!

If you really want to do it, have a trial lesson (essential) and then go for CTC!

Good luck :ok:

glasgowfly
12th Sep 2006, 13:41
I see there's quite a few of us already for the 28th and the 4th!! So far I count Final Destination, Flight Deck Dave, X-Plane, Pazu888 and myself!

Any more CP42'ers out there? :ok:

Hi there folks, I too am on CP42 so look forward to seeing you on the 28th of September. It looks like that is the 6 of us who are heading out on that date.:)

See you on the 28th. If anyone is near Glasgow we can meet up for a drink before hand?

Pazu888
12th Sep 2006, 14:27
Hi there folks, I too am on CP42 so look forward to seeing you on the 28th of September. It looks like that is the 6 of us who are heading out on that date.:)

See you on the 28th. If anyone is near Glasgow we can meet up for a drink before hand?

Look forward to meeting you mate.

It's getting so close now!

Stall-turn-Go
12th Sep 2006, 14:39
Just out of interest CP42 guys, how long did it take you from passing stage 2 to being awarded a place in NZ?

Stall-turn-Go
12th Sep 2006, 14:54
Thanks Tim,

Really hope all goes to plan over the next couple months then. Best of luck to you in NZ. The Outback bar in Hamilton is a good spot by the way!!!:ok:

glasgowfly
12th Sep 2006, 15:12
Tim think we were both on phase 4 together - you went first and I went last on the sim. Good to see that I've already met one of my coursemates. Glad to see we get 30kg luggage allowance!

I had my phase 2 in early July (10th I think), can't remember the exact date since there has been so many dates for different stages, medicals and of course my friends at the HSBC. It all happens very quickly and now 3 weeks tomorrow I should be boarding a flight to New Zealand:)

Thanks for the advice on the outback bar I look forward to checking the place out.

G

Jimbo_P
12th Sep 2006, 15:27
So that's 7 of us already from the prune!

I'm booked into the Dale Farm House on the 27th. Anyone around for a beer in the Pilgrim the night before the meet and greet?

Incidentally, the Pilgrim has a superb name, especially if you try and walk there from the Dale Farm House!!!

With the timings, you can normally expect to wait 1-2 weeks between phases, and you'll be offered a place (subject to medical, etc) almost immediately upon passing phase 4.

Looking forward to meeting you all, and best of luck to those still going through the selection.

JP.

Pazu888
12th Sep 2006, 15:41
Just out of interest CP42 guys, how long did it take you from passing stage 2 to being awarded a place in NZ?

Stage 2 - 21 July

Stage 3 - 02 August

Stage 4 - 10 August

Found out passed - Same day as Stage 4 (after a nerve-destroying train ride home!)

Stall-turn-Go
12th Sep 2006, 15:44
So long as you sit there and politely do as demonstrated and as your told, you shouldn't really fail phase 4 should you? Does anyone know of people who have fallen at this stage?

Jimbo_P
12th Sep 2006, 15:46
I still can't forget that train ride home.... checking my phone every five seconds and getting increasingly frustrated with the lack of signal in the New Forest!

"She must have called whilst I had no signal, what if I didn't get in? What shall I do now? Oh no it's ringing..... ARGH!":{

Jimbo_P
12th Sep 2006, 15:49
So long as you sit there and politely do as demonstrated and as your told, you shouldn't really fail phase 4 should you? Does anyone know of people who have fallen at this stage?

From what I understand, the pass rate at phase 4 is roughly 85%.

They seem to be looking for someone who can remain calm and show a learning curve. Flying a perfect 3-degree glideslope isn't too important, especially if you've never flown before!!

They'll talk to you whilst you fly, which both calms you down and shows your multi-tasking abilities.

Everyone says just be calm and be yourself, which is exactly right. But try telling that to someone who's sitting in the crew room waiting to be called up...

his3dmw
12th Sep 2006, 15:52
I was at the stage 2 resit yesterday, the northerner with the gold tie. well chuffed when I found out I got through, Howd u do?

Stall-turn-Go
12th Sep 2006, 15:55
Cheers Jimbo,

I'll just crap myself about the interview for the time being then.

If you CP42 guys are able to it'd be great to hear updates from you when you get out to NZ. Successful folk seem to go cold on this thread once they've got through. Or am I missing some other 'on training' thread somewhere.

I guess the point of this thread is the slection process more than the training that comes after but heh, can't hurt can it and it'd certainly help to wet some appetites!

Jimbo_P
12th Sep 2006, 16:05
S-T-G,

There is a CTC Cadets forum, but I suspect the guys get extremely busy once out there. We'll try and keep the forum updated, though.

In the meantime, you might like to check out the website set up by previous groups of cadets such as ctc19.com (CP19) or cadetpilot.com (CP29/30). They've got some great photos on there.

If you need any advice for phase 3, i'd be happy to help - having done it twice!!

JP.

The Mixmaster
12th Sep 2006, 16:37
just had phase 3 selection. Day didn't start to well when I accidently spilt a few drops of water over one of the assessors!!!:ouch: Schoolboy error. Good luck to all the lads that were down there:ok:

glasgowfly
12th Sep 2006, 17:26
Mixmaster - don't worry too much about the spilling of the water incident. I too dropped water all over the table in the group exercise and I start in three weeks. The assessors were really nice about it.

The journey home after phase 4 is quite scary as you are so worried that you are going to be the one that hasn't passed. Although finding out you've passed just before you catch your flight home makes your flybe flight more enjoyable. I don't think I stopped smiling the whole flight!

I've still not booked accommodation yet but will do so very soon.

The Mixmaster
12th Sep 2006, 20:32
glasgowfly...good stuff man. I dunno just get the vibe that it was one of those days that didn't quite go according to plan, we'll see....

cparker
12th Sep 2006, 21:08
£55 per night, it was £50 in my day!

Enjoy NZ i'd go back there tomorrow given the chance, something called a CPL on the horizon to get out of the way first!

Jimbo_P
12th Sep 2006, 21:34
What are you guys wearing?? I just thought of some trousers and a shirt, but no tie?? Any ideas??

FD

Yeah trousers and shirt (polo shirt perhaps) sounds good. Not planning on wearing a tie, but we've been warned off jeans!

Jimbo_P
13th Sep 2006, 05:55
Yeah, i think that sounds good, trousers and polo shirt!! I may wear a pink one so no laughing!!

FD :}

Can't make any promises...:E

FlightDeckDave
13th Sep 2006, 10:04
Hi Guys,

Was just wondering if anyone who is out in NZ or is meant to be going in the next month (4th Oct 4 me :) if i get all these forms filled out) has a girlfriend/boyfriend who you are leaving behind back here in good old UK? If so I was just wondering how they felt about it all. My gf is being very supportive and we have a strong relationship so no problems about me being away, but I can tell she's going to miss me. If there is anyone in a similar position feel free to PM me.

FDD

squawkident.
13th Sep 2006, 11:56
Hi same situation again. Check your PM's.
I think this must be a standard issue with flying and long distance relationships-I know im already starting to feel the strain and I havnt even left home yet!

SI

Pazu888
13th Sep 2006, 13:00
Same situation with me too, leaving my girlfriend behind...

Not looking forward to that particular part of going, but it'll easily be worth it in the future.

squawkident.
13th Sep 2006, 13:29
Really? what work is she gonna be doing?
Not a bad idea that at all - might drop it by the missus later on.

FlightDeckDave
13th Sep 2006, 13:31
Thanks guys for all your responses, have had quite a few PM's so will try and reply to all of them. Its good to see I'm not the only one, and we're all in the same position. I think it makes it easier for the gf knowing i'm off to train as a pilot which is going to involve alot of hard work and not just off for a jolly!! (Well that's what i'm telling her!)

I think the key is good communication with the missus and the prospect of a sucessful fulfilling job at the end of it. I will miss her :sad: but it is short compared to a lifetime :eek:, perhaps there should be some thread or website for partners of trainees/wannabes/pilots?

FDD

FlightDeckDave
13th Sep 2006, 13:39
FD - I just thought it was only spouses that could accompany the trainees? If CTC approve it for you maybe I'll suggest it to the gf, I know she'd love to be out there with me, she's got nothing to do after Feb! Not sure if its a good thing though, could be very distracting and demanding, however if there are others out there, it could be like a club!

viggi_pilot
13th Sep 2006, 18:04
Just found out my results of my stage 3 selection. Looks like its back to the drawing board for me again since I failed misserably!

Anyone else here go the the selection on the 12th? Would be good to hear how everyone else got on?

Good luck to those who have got their stage 4 coming up and to the lucky ones that are off to NZ!!!

Reverand Lovejoy
13th Sep 2006, 18:26
Viggi,

Gutted for you man. I know exactly how you feel. I was in those shoes 6 months ago when I failed but they gave me a second go. Did they offer you a second go or was it a flat no? Feedback given?

Dont worry about going back to drawing board - atleast you wont have a clean sheet start because your experience yesturday will stand you in good stead if you take onboard the advice.

Would you hazard a guess at what you thought went wrong. It might help others on here with their stage 3's coming up. If not I still have the notes from the email that gave generic feedback information if you want it.

P.S - Who interviewed you. Was it M.B or L.W?

Just wandering because M.B gave me phone call with feedback and it may be an idea to contact her. Although I didn't really want to speak to her the morning I got my fail result, her advice has proven to really help.

All the best

The Mixmaster
13th Sep 2006, 19:54
Alright viggi, how'd you get on in the maths test? Sorry to hear you didn't make it man, I too got a no but have been invited back for reassessment in 6 months, some tricky decisions to be made in the near future.....

RS999
13th Sep 2006, 21:57
Hi all. Have just registered to this site and have been reading (for hours) through the thread. I applied to CTC Wings (Cadet) programme in July and was accepted through to Stage 2 on 5th September.

I'm currently a Firefighter but really want a change of career. I've always wanted to become a Commercial Pilot since I was about 5 when my Mother worked in Dubai and I flew out there regularly with Gulf Air, Air Lanka, the fledgling Emirates, BA and Cathay Pacific but have always thought that it was financially out of my reach and now that I'm 28, that it was out of my reach on account of my age. Having read through this thread and every last word of the CTC website that is clearly not the case.

I'm booked on the Stage 2 assessment on 13th October 2006 so I may meet some of you there. I'm flying from Prestwick down to Bournemouth on the 12th and staying at the Rylstone Hotel in Bournemouth on the 12th and 13th October so if anyone fancy's a couple of beers on the night of the 13th after the assessment day get in touch and we'll arrange something.

Finally, thanks for all the advice which is given by everyone in this thread, it has been very very helpful. I'm sure I'll still have questions to ask before going to Bournemouth next month though :ok:.

Also, good luck to those flying out to Hamilton on the 4th Oct, best wishes :D

Bigaircraft
13th Sep 2006, 22:12
I was at the stage 2 resit yesterday, the northerner with the gold tie. well chuffed when I found out I got through, Howd u do?

Hey, I was the Scottish/English guy with the black suit and red tie, I passed too! Went to the local pub in the area i was staying had a nice few celebratory pints of the guest ale ha ha! u going to dibden on the 27th?

Ba/c