PDA

View Full Version : The CTC Wings Scheme thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

UAU242
26th Jan 2006, 10:08
hi to the guys who were at stage 3 yesterday.

unfortunately i didn't make it through on the 2nd attempt. how did you all do?

mikethebest22
26th Jan 2006, 11:19
hey i didnt make it thru either, readin from the email, wen it mentioned possible failures due to eing general, not presenting examples of motivation well and that i think that was me, i was first in first out of interview if u memba. unlucky u2au242 or woteva it is, lol wots ur next plan

pants2006
26th Jan 2006, 11:42
hey guts, bad luck to those who were unlucky first time round. remember that there is always another chance. i mucked up 6 months ago but got trhu yday so dnt give up. let me knwo how the rest of u guys got on.

michael p
:}

mikethebest22
26th Jan 2006, 11:53
no i have not been eligable for reapplication. its a massive, blow , ill just have to start moving on with other options. i WANT to be a pilot so im gunna hav to do it another way ey , thanks neway good luck to u u lucky sod for gettin on, nice 1

foxromeo9481
26th Jan 2006, 12:51
Can anyone tell me what Sim CTC use, either at Bournemouth or Dibden....?

Thanks!!!!

mikethebest22
28th Jan 2006, 15:27
im looking at airtraffic control and looking all the sponserships i can find, im also looking at self funding it but cnt decide which is best modular or integrated. ne 1 got ne more ideas on the dvs and disadvs becasue modular is soo much cheaper lol. message bak thanks ang good luk mike

pc278
28th Jan 2006, 16:23
Just finished reading this whole thread, it's unbelievable how many people can't be bothered to do this so you end up trawling through the same Q & A's repetitively. It's worth doing though as you do pick up a lot of info!

Big Frank

I was at the phase two selection on the 17th too, thankfully I passed, but have been invited to stage three on 08/03. Good luck to you.

Out of interest when you confirm your attendance at stage three do you receive confirmation that you are expected or do you just turn up? I ask because in the email I was told that earlier dates may become available so am reluctant to book accommodation at this juncture.

Is anyone else attending on the 8/3?

KentDiamond
29th Jan 2006, 19:27
Passed stage 2 second time around on 20th Jan and invited to come back on 22 March. Wondered if anybody else is in a similar boat? Would be good to meet up night before and make the group tests a bit less intimidating. Big Frank still got some lego?:8

WilliDeHavilland
29th Jan 2006, 21:04
3 quickies

1. why people keep asking the same Q's over and over again ? Makes the thread boring and useless. No one answers them anyway ! (rightly so)

2. there's a spelling check function at the top right corner of the screen when you submit a post. Might be handy for some ! :-)

3. I've never been on a dessert island, but I imagine it would be quite easy to survive ! Only downside is, you might get a bit overweight !

LOL

WdH

SMOOTHFLIER
30th Jan 2006, 13:43
Is there anybody out there who like me has failed stage 4? Would like to hear from you if you have please feel free to PM me.
Cheers
Smoothflier

Wannabe24
30th Jan 2006, 14:37
SmoothFlier,

I feel for you bud, that has got to be very dissappointing.

Blinkz
30th Jan 2006, 15:56
I failed stage 4 smoothflier so if you wanna chat feel free to get in touch.

SMOOTHFLIER
30th Jan 2006, 20:01
blinkz check your PMs Cheers.

pc278
30th Jan 2006, 20:20
Here's an interesting question that I don't think anyone has raised.

What is your status when you are training?

Student? Eligible for student loans? (I doub't it, with £60K already hanging over your head)

Unemployed? Can you claim dole?;)

Employed with no pay/Volunteer?

Which is it?:confused:

c_jephcott
1st Feb 2006, 11:34
currently waiting for yesterdays stage 2 results...

stealth77
1st Feb 2006, 12:27
Hi,

Im new to the forum and I have been through many of the pages looking for particular information but can anyone help me with the first stage of application, not the initial application but the questions section.
Obviously I want to give myself the best possible chance and am just curious as to exactly what they are looking for from these four questions. I guess its just saying the right things heh!!
Cheers

c_jephcott
2nd Feb 2006, 09:45
Well, much to my surprise, I made it through stage 2.

Been invited down to Stage 3 on the 7th March, but sadly can't make it then. Will email them later to reconfirm and rebook.

Just wondering if anybody else on here was at Stage 2 on Tuesday, and how did you get on?

Cheers

Chris

regor
2nd Feb 2006, 12:35
To answer foxromeo9481 about which sim's they use for assessment on phase 4, here goes:
99% of Phase 4 selections are done at Bournemouth on a fixed based Kingair B200 Turboprop sim.
If there is a problem with this sim', and there is availability, the Duchess sim is next. However, they now have two shiny new Diamond DA42 sim's as well, so there is a chance it could be on that.
If Bournemouth is not possible, then the sim assessments are held at the Nursling simulator centre on either the B737-300 or B737-700 fixed based sim. In the unlikely event of neither of these being available, then you could find yourself on a full motion A320 or B737-300, albeit with the motion off.
Hope that answers your question!!
If anyone else wants info on the sim's, let me know and I'll do my best to answer. :D

BigBoeing
5th Feb 2006, 14:44
Could someone please tell me how many people interview you and how long it typically lasts? Thanks

JediDude
5th Feb 2006, 16:14
2 people interview you, an HR person and a Training Captain. Lasts about an hour but feels like 15 minutes.

garyogilvie
5th Feb 2006, 18:04
Hi,
Just wondered if anyone else out there was heading down to Bournemouth for Stage 3 on 8th Feb?
I am travelling from Scotland so have to arrive on 7th. If anyone is going to be there the night before and fancies meeting up for a chat over a pint then let me know.I am staying at the Stour Villa B&B, was there for Stage 2 and very impressed.

Regards,

Gary.

freshveg69
5th Feb 2006, 21:35
Hello,

I have read the entire thread and the CTC website and still have some questions that I would be grateful if someone could answer:

- In Stage 2, do the tests consist of just numeracy and PILAPT or is there verbal reasoning, psychometric and visual reasoning parts included?

- Is there a group discussion in Stage 2? Would this be on general topics that are non-aviation related?

- Are the 2 group exercises left for Stage 3?

Thanks

WilliDeHavilland
8th Feb 2006, 12:48
Hello

this is copied from the Bristol GS website (http://www.bristol.gs)

Quote :
Pass Rates Reach New Peaks
We are delighted to announce that our EasyJet and Thomas Cook sponsored students have set a new record for success rates at the ATPL Theory examinations. Their pass rate now exceeds 98.6% proving beyond doubt that our combination of training material and brush-up courses provides you with everything you need to excel with your theoretical training.

I thought only CTC provided sponsored students for them ?

Does anybody know more about this ?

mbcxharm
8th Feb 2006, 13:05
Those are/were the CTC sponsored cadets - on the CTC Wings scheme and preselected for either Easyjet or Thomas Cook.

JediDude
8th Feb 2006, 13:31
Yep, CTC use Bristol for their groundschool.

jb5000
8th Feb 2006, 15:43
Hi everyone,

Is anyone going down to Bournemouth on the 22nd of March for Stage 3?

If so where are you going to stay? Would be nice for a bit of banter the night before to make the next day a bit more comfortable...

Looking forward to hearing from you,

James

freshveg69
8th Feb 2006, 16:52
Hello jb5000,

Would it be possible for you to answer my questions above about stage 2 please?

Thanks

jb5000
8th Feb 2006, 17:30
Hey freshveg,

I'm a bit of an old timer as I originally did stage 2 almost a year ago...! Assuming the format is the same then it is just the pilapt test and the maths one at stage two. No psychometric / verbal or anything else like that. The maths is fairly straightforward if you have all the time in the world and no pressure, but the time constraints are what make the test quite tough.

There is a brief group discussion, can't remember what the topics were on offhand but it's nothing you can revise for, just be yourself!

Hope this helps,

James

freshveg69
8th Feb 2006, 17:38
Thanks! I appreciate your help.

c_jephcott
8th Feb 2006, 17:53
I was there a couple of weeks ago and successfully passed Stage 2...

First of all, is anybody going down on March 7th? I'll be sorting out accomodation ASAP.

Stage 2 basically consisted of a Maths paper. I think you have 15 questions in 15 minutes, basic stuff and multiple choice. Just revise division, multiplication, adding, subtraction... The time pressure is the part that can mess you around, but try to stay as a calm as possible and it's be ok!

And then there's the PILAPT tests. Whereas they are challenging and quite rightly so, the best thing you can do is relax. I was far too nervous for the first test (the deviation indicator!), and as a result, my first 2 attempts at it suffered. There's a few other pilapt tests there which I'm sure you're more than aware of, including trax, concentration and a finding the shapes in a pattern. The only problem I would say all those is to just make sure that you familiarise yourself with the keyboard first of all as it's a different layout. There were 2 or 3 times when I forget this and ended up cursing as I pressed the wrong button!

Aside from that, there was no sign of the supposed group discussion, but I believe this will be at the Stage 3.

Hope this helps!

pc278
8th Feb 2006, 19:59
I have a concern about the date of my phase three selection;

Originally I was invited to Bournemouth Crew Training Centre on the 08/03.

Then the location was moved to Dibden Manor on 08/03. I've double checked the E-mail which correlates.

Thing is I'm booked into Dale Farm House and Chris (the owner) left me a message today saying that they are getting a lot of bookings for the night of the sixth for a selection on the seventh and that it was unusual for CTC to run two selections on consecutive days.

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they were going to a selection on the 7th March but no one has mentioned the 8th.

So is anyone else going for a phase 3 selection on the 8th March?

I'm going to double check the date with Daphne anyway but thought I'd ask the question.

c_jephcott
8th Feb 2006, 22:01
I'm down for the 7th... Just had to check my diary notes though to make sure of that.

Would surprise me if there was something on the 8th too?

super_starmix
9th Feb 2006, 01:40
pc278,

When I went down for my stage 3 selection there was a guy there who had been given the wrong date and had fortunately turned up the previous day rather than the following day so he just came back in on the correct day. Errors do occur, ring up CTC and just confirm the date if you haven't already.

Good luck!!

el dorado
9th Feb 2006, 05:38
Hi

I don't know anything about CTC etc. because I never had anything to do with it but I have met many pilots from all sorts of training backgrounds and I can tell you that not every one that comes out of big training schools and goes straight to the right seat is necessarily better than those who don't. Many have almost non-existent flying skills because they don't go out and cut their teeth by doing a few years of stick and rudder after obtaining their licence. Also worrying is the rumour, probably well founded, that there will soon be a Multi-Crew Pilot's Licence whereby pilots are put straight into a MC environment and essentially never develop the ability to act for themselves. This is a not pleasant thought.

Air_Jamaica
9th Feb 2006, 11:58
Hey peeps!! So who of you is accompanying me on the stage 2 assesment day on Feb 24th?

I've read throught the thread and got loads info so thanx to everyone who posted it! What goes around comes around!!!

I've Got a dilema that maybe you all can help me with. At the mo Im sporting a very fashionable 'Dreadlock Rasta' hairstyle! How do u think the ol' chaps at CTC will like that??

So Im deliberating...Do I cut my hair and conform to the system? Conform to the stereotypical image of how airline pilots should look?

Or do I break the mould, set a new precedent. Make the statement that a pilot should not be chosen by the length of his locks, or the shine of his shampoo, but from his ability in the cockpit!! Cause you see, I have a dream. A dream that one day pilots of all hairstyles: Long, short, curtains, bald head, Mohican and corn-roll, will fly the most prestigeous planes the airlines have to offer!

I tell you what, lets make it interesting! The response from this post will decide my hairstyle on Feb 24th. Enough yes' and i'll keep the dreads, too many no's and they're gone!

el dorado
9th Feb 2006, 13:23
I rest my case.

BitMoreRightRudder
9th Feb 2006, 14:38
Air Jamaica

Keep the dreads man.

El dorado

How did you find out we are all rubbish? It was meant to be a secret. Please don't tell the airlines. Please.

pc278
9th Feb 2006, 19:38
For anyone who read my post yesterday they are running a phase three assessment on both the 7th and 8th March, so stop worrying about turning up on the wrong day!!:cool:

pc278
9th Feb 2006, 19:46
Air Jamaica

You could consider keeping the dreads for stage two and then maybe losing them for stage three if you get through.

From what I could see stage two is just another pre-interview screening exercise whereby if you meet the required criteria on the maths and pilapt tests you go through.

Unless we were being monitored covertly during the day I don't think any account was taken of out appearance or behaviour.

It's up to you though.

FatboyTim
10th Feb 2006, 01:46
El Dorado

Bit negative arent we?? Are you implying that everyone who gets through CTC will almost certainly have none of the skills necessary to fly a plane??

I think the MPL idea is intended to aim the cadet's training into the Airline environment from day 1, not skimp on the flying fundamentals! I could be wrong, I dont know too much about it.

What I do know is that if you are hinting towards or indeed implying that getting into / reaching the end of the CTC training is a "no brainer" method of stumbling onto a flight deck, and "only idiots need apply" my god YOU ARE DELUDED MY FRIEND! Sounds like the all to familiar talk of someone who got rejected during selection, although in saying that, you mentioned you know nothing about CTC...

My God in heaven, I'm amazed.

It shows.

(PS. Taking a cheap "dig" at Air_Jamaica for asking a fairly valid question regarding appearance at interviews, prompting potentially interesting conversation is uncalled for)

:*

Brasher
10th Feb 2006, 02:10
el dorado,
you say that you "have met" pilots from all sorts of backgrounds and also that "Many have almost non-existent flying skills". I had absolutely no idea that you could tell that from meeting someone. I guess you've got some secret knowledge that not even the training captains/ chief pilots who do the sim checks on potential new employees don't have.

So go on, how DO you tell someones flying ability from meeting them?

I agree with Tim, having a cheap dig at Air_Jamaica for asking a reasonable question is not on. I've never met you but at the moment you sound like a bitter, twisted individual who never made it.

Air_Jamaica,
I believe that you can tell a lot from someone's attitude to interviews by the way they present themselves for interview, be it hairstyle or otherwise. Now, of course people shouldn't always feel pressured to "conform" but I did and wore a suit to selection, just like everyone else there. I would have preferred to wear jeans and a shirt and the fact I wore a suit did not increase my test results. Just my tuppence worth. :)

FatboyTim
10th Feb 2006, 02:49
Air Jamaica

Been discussing your little problem with a few of the guys out here, not too sure what to put really, its one of them interesting examples where stereotype, culture and practicality all clash mate! I can be fairly confident in saying that they do have a fairly strict appearance policy when turning up at the airport for a flight, this policy seems to revolve around a smart appearance theme, so much so that I got my but kicked for wearing a brown belt once!

The usual stuff applies, clean shaven or facial hair neatly trimmed, clean and ironed uniform, etc etc, everything to boost a professional appearance typical of not only a Pilot but someone who takes pride in their appearance.

However, this is where the interesting question kicks in, who decides whats smart and whats not?? I personally think Dreads are awesome, and as far as taking pride in your appearance goes, I know that they are not particularly easy to take care of or maintain, therefore, in my humble opinion, it displays positives about one's attitudes. However, different people have different opinions and generally speaking it seems unfortunate that dreads appear to take on a negative aura in society!

It puzzles me.

As far as practicalities go, I will say one thing, Katana's are small aircraft, you take off your headset quite alot in flight to put foggles on and spend alot of time (especially towards the end) flying along with foggles and a headset wrapped around your head, not sure if that would work!

Therefore, my personal opinion is as follows. I am very against people having to conform to one uniform image, it brings nothing but a very clinical, robotic atmosphere to any organisation. However, for practicality reasons, I would suggest a revised hairdoo. Sorry mate.

(ps. you sound like a good laugh, and for what its worth, dreads or no dreads, your personality is the thing that comes accross at the interview stage.)

:ok:

MonarchA330
10th Feb 2006, 05:12
blueplume...

If you were to meet the people on the course, I think you would find that they are all very down to earth people who are ALL very grateful for the opportunity they have been given to 'fast track' to the right hand seat of a jet.

No-one thinks that this makes them better than anyone else, if anything, it makes us appreciate more what other people have had to go through to get to the stage where we will be in a few months time.

I'd like to see evidence of 'High horsing' if you have any. If you do, I apologise.

M330

el dorado
10th Feb 2006, 05:12
On the contary, I have made it very well, thank you. And I wasn't having a dig at any correspendent whatsoever, just stating a view. Too many think that all comments that don't agree with the general view are from "bitter, twisted" individuals. You're wrong.
And when I say that I've met pilots I mean that I have also seen them operate. Do you think I'm going to comment on their flying abilities if I haven't seen them in action? Give me some credit.
I'm not saying that any of you are bad pilots, just that some who go through approved schemes think that they are better all-round pilots because they do so. What people learn is down to them and how much they go into the background knowledge. And how much real life practice they get. You can have the best theory training in the world but if you don't put it to use it doesn't help, does it?
So, with all due respect, maybe some of you need to get of your high horses and take a few hints from people who have been doing it for a while longer. Just a thought, it's up to you.

MonarchA330
10th Feb 2006, 05:15
ah, it appears that 'blueplume' and 'el dorado' are the same person...

my previous post was in response to the above post by el dorado, posted by blueplume... if that makes any sense!!

M330

mo90
10th Feb 2006, 05:59
el dorado,
not really sure why you made your initial post on here;
"I don't know anything about CTC etc. because I never had anything to do with it"
but seeing as you did, don't worry, we already know that...
"not every one that comes out of big training schools and goes straight to the right seat is necessarily better than those who don't."
I doubt you will find any of us claiming to be universally better than all pilots who trainied/are training at smaller schools. I'm having enough fun and games getting an NZ PPL!
Either way I still look at this as an opportunity of a lifetime and feel lucky to be here - many would love to take my place.
perhaps you could start an interesting new thread "all big training schools are pants"?
or maybe you should have left it at
"I don't know anything"
;)
mo

el dorado
10th Feb 2006, 06:46
No secrets as far I'm concerned. Just thought I'd better stick to the first name so it doesn't confuse everybody. Enjoy.
And why should I leave it at anything at all? This is a forum for all opinions, not only yours.

BitMoreRightRudder
10th Feb 2006, 07:49
I hope Air Jamaica hasn't shaved his head with all this going on:(

super_starmix
10th Feb 2006, 09:41
Air Jamaica,

I would by no means suggest that you should be forced to conform to anything you don't want to. But for the purposes of the interview I would definitely say get rid of the dreads, when I went through selection we were told about one guy who had a facial piercnig (I think it was a nose stud...it's been a while) and he was asked to take it out, something about the way you'd look to passengers. So I would suggest getting a haircut for the interviews, you can always grow them back once you get in, just get your foot in the door first.

El Dorado,

You are most certainly welcome to put your view across, and I have no doubt that a couple of the many pilots CTC train do need to step down from their high horses, along with a few other pilots from other training backgrounds. It is the nature of this profession that there will be those who think that they are the greatest pilot to have ever lived but I think you need to meet a few more CTC trained pilots to realise that we are not all like that. In terms of the lack of flying ability...you do realise that we have to take the same flight tests as everyone else before we can step into that comfy right hand seat? So I'm not sure what you are basing this lack of ability on? I understand you made the post just to start a debate, congratulations, you've done alright so far and I'm sure it's relieved some boredom. Maybe you should take up a hobby to provide you with something else to do rather than make totally unsupported comments about a training school you know nothing about?

captainbirdseye
10th Feb 2006, 10:43
Air Jamaica

For my 2p worth - and I havent got a place at CTC, so there are probably those who are better informed. I would keep the dreads for stage 2 if you can somehow make them "smart casual" - can you cut them neatly and tie them back neatly? CTC gives the term "smart casual" as an option for dress code in the stage 2 invitation.

For stage three, i might be tempted to keep them as well, surely they want people with personality / induviduality! And if you say you are prepared to cut them off if you get in, you might get the best of both worlds? They dont expect you to go to the expense of a class one medical before you are accepted -so they might take the view its not reasonable not to expect you to cut off your dreads before you get in.

i think dreads will be a no no if you get in though, have a look at www.cadetpilot.com (not commercial just info is this ok?) shows some pilots out there -they all look neatly trimmed!

My 2p

CBE

Kerropi
10th Feb 2006, 12:57
Could somebody give information about what kind of ATPL questions they ask on the CTC AQC Wings scheme (not the ab intio cadet scheme) in phase 2??

coyoteht4
10th Feb 2006, 13:00
Hi

Anyone going to the stage 2 on the 17th Feb?

Ant tips advice for this part of selection?

Cheers

Colley_316
10th Feb 2006, 13:01
Hi,

Could anybody help me that has recently done CTC wings stage 2, as to whether in the numeracy test you are given a pen and paper or whether you are expected to do it in your head?

I read earlier in this thread somewhere that you are provided with paper but this thread was posted quite a while ago, so I was wondering if it had changed.

Many Thanks

FatboyTim
10th Feb 2006, 20:58
captainbirdseye

nice plug there. Very subtle ;)

dboydan
11th Feb 2006, 15:05
This is my first post and im going to start it by asking what I think is going to sound like a rediculous question, the answer to which I cannot find Anywhere, as I have read every page of this thread and its not even on CTC's website, well maybe it is there somewhere and I have just missed it, but anyway, the question is... What does CTC actually stand for?
I really hope im not the only one to not know this!!!

Wing_Bound_Vortex
11th Feb 2006, 18:38
dboyan,

nope you ain't missed it mate don't think it's mentioned anywhere, CTC could stand for a multitude of things, but i don't think you'll get asked what it means!

Wouldn't worry about it, concentrate on the more important things of selection, enjoy!

WBV

chris2005
12th Feb 2006, 08:48
When the company started out i understand it stood for Cheif Training Captain. Now it dosnt stand for anything

BigBoeing
12th Feb 2006, 11:04
Could anyone tell me the outline of stage 3 please? Is it the group exercises first then lunch then interview??? Also, for travel arrangments, roughly what time does the day finish? Thanks

BB

dboydan
12th Feb 2006, 15:57
Big boeing

Theres tonnes of useful information about stage 3 burried in this thread buddy, you just have to read through it all to find it, its a long process, but actually reading through the whole lot gives you a pretty good idea of whats going on, even though some of it is quite conflicting, you get the jist of what is probably true and what is generally rubbish!

Is anybody going down to Dibdon on 22nd Feb for stage 3 and staying at or near Dale Farm house, would be good to meet up before hand and chat over a lemonade!

BigBoeing
12th Feb 2006, 17:07
Thanks, but I have inwardly digested the entire contents of this thread long before today, and nowhere can I find what time stage 3 finishes, roughly. Cheers

BB

chris2005
12th Feb 2006, 19:51
The group exercises are int he morning then the interviews are after lunch. There were only two pairs of interviewers (well there were at my S3) and each interview lasts an hour so there can be quite a bit of waiting around for those who are last. I was last and i think i finished around 1700 but if your first you could be finished by 1400. Dont hold me to these this is just to give you an idea from my experience at S3

Hope this helps

This was in july and held in Bmth dont know if it is still the same

FatboyTim
12th Feb 2006, 20:16
I think it stands for Crew Training Centre

But I could be wrong

Air_Jamaica
13th Feb 2006, 12:29
Hey guys!!!

Thanks for all the feedback on the 'Dreadlock Dilema' (FatboyTim that was a wicked reply!). I have decided that the dreads gotta go! I have an appointment with the barbers on wed. My girlfriend aint that happy, shes threatening to cut off my supplies, if you know what I mean :{

I started preparing for my stage 2 after reading this thread and I realised that I cant actually do long revision! Its hilarious! I can solve complex PDE's but give me a long division question with a pencil & paper and Ill ask you for a calculator! Therefore I have (very wisely) started thinking a lot about my "plan B". A friend of mine is getting his CPL in California and he recommended a few schools to me. I've also heard that S.Africa is a good place to learn but more expensive. However both of these are considerably cheaper than here! But one has to consider the problems that are inherent with gaining your qualifications abroad. What do you guys think? Do you know anyone who qualified abroad? If you do how did they get on when seeking employment?

One love

Air_Jamaica

blueplume
13th Feb 2006, 15:11
If collective feathers were ruffled I hereby openly apologize if anybody thought I was having a personal dig, have an axe to grind or whatever because I don't.

The problem with faceless communicating like this is that you can't really tell what mood it's written in. I sincerely hope you all do well but don't forget, nothing replaces real time to give you confidence in decision-making.

So :mad: the lot of you:} :ouch: :ok:

FatboyTim
14th Feb 2006, 06:58
Air Jamica

If you are worried about having your supplies cut off now, youre gonna get one hell of a shock when on the course!!! Good luck with the application matey!:ok:

Dont worry about the long division maths stuff, I got in and I have difficulty working out top of descents. I even got stuck on "170-152=?" today. Highly embarrasing! :ugh:

A38lephant
14th Feb 2006, 18:52
Hi all,

Had my stage 2 re-takes yesterday, just wondering if either of the lads (there were only 3 of us) got through? To my suprise I Got invited to stage 3 in a month or so. Not gonna bother asking what to expect as I have trailed 25 pages of this thread (at which points my eyes started bleeding...or at least it felt like it) and have found loads of useful info. Thanks to everyone who's posted!

A38E :ok:

dboydan
15th Feb 2006, 21:25
Can anyone tell me how, if possible, I can read the old CTC thread? I remember reading on this one at some point that someone asked if anyone knew what questions they ask you at stage 3, and the reply was to go back and read the old thread because it gave you a link to the Kent Uni website where someone had listed all the questions they were asked! Alternatively, has anyone recently been for their stage 3 and would care to enlighten those of us who are going for it next?

Port Strobe
16th Feb 2006, 00:54
Last thread was CTC McAlpine thread, search for it and you'll find it, 40 odd pages I think. The link to Kent uni page was dead a long time ago, there's more than enough on those 2 threads to get you thinking though, then you can add your own questions as well.

Cheers

ribena
16th Feb 2006, 10:02
I’ve looked through all the thread and I wonder if someone could please answer a question about the stage 2 maths questions. As I understand it comprises of multiple-choice questions but could someone please tell me how many options exist for each question.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2port
16th Feb 2006, 10:51
Ribena

A: 2
B: 3
C: 4
D: 5

2P

regor
16th Feb 2006, 20:46
Chris2005 was correct about the CTC acronym. The origins of the company name go back to when they provided training on a purely consultancy basis and dealt primarily with 'Chief Training Captains' of Airlines. From this association the company's original name was born: "CTC Associates"

So to answer the original question, CTC no longer stands for anything, its just a historical hangover, which just happens to be the same initials as Crew Training Centre.

Hope that clears up the mystery!

dboydan
17th Feb 2006, 21:00
Thanks for that regor, thats interesting! I only asked the question because it just seemed like something I should know as im about to go for the stage 3 interview with CTC, whoever they are!!! More than likely though it wont be important, and it wont take up much room in my head. So how do you know that anyway?

BitMoreRightRudder
19th Feb 2006, 16:36
Air Jamaica

I fear it is too late but I thought I would make an appeal that you keep the dreads. So: KEEP THE DREADS MAN.

As for long division the only time I have ever used long division is at stage 2 selection. I just bring a calculator to work these days - avoids me having to admit to the captain I'm rubbish at mental arithmetic. Go to stage 2 AND KEEP THE DREADS.

In-epta
22nd Feb 2006, 12:57
Hiya guys

On a slightly different tack, I have just been selected through the Wings ATP scheme for the AQC. Can anyone who has gone through recently give me an idea of what to expect and is there any way you can prepare for the course so you give it your best shot?

many thanks

DrDanny
23rd Feb 2006, 18:33
Is anyone going for Stage II (Cadet scheme) on either the 10th March? Just looking for the best place to stay, it seems like the consensus is Stour Villa. If anyone would like to meet up the night before for a chat that'd be good.

DrD

Xsr8
24th Feb 2006, 16:26
I'd just like say thanks to anyone who has posted information about the CTC Wings scheme and application process. I've just been informed that I've passed Stage 4 of selection and (subject to Class 1 medical) I've been accepted on the Wings scheme. There's a lot of useful information on this thread that, if used correctly, can help an applicant prepare for each stage of selection. Thanks again.

Oh, and to the naysayers and bitter individuals who frequent this thread: Move on with your lives. If the Wings scheme is as disgraceful as your spin suggest then why continue to associate yourselves with it by posting on here. Have some integrity and walk away. The CTC Wings scheme is offering me the best damn opportunity I will ever be offered so I refuse to be anything but grateful for what CTC do.

And to anyone who's applying: Pay no attention to the people who do nothing but snipe at CTC. They know little or nothing of what they speak. I've spoken to quite a few cadets on the scheme and I have yet to hear anything but positive feedback. I believe they know what they are talking about. I wish you all the best with your applications. I won't wish you 'good luck' because it doesn't help. The selection process is about who you are and luck doesn't enter into it. Go to Bournemouth, be yourself, and enjoy meeting others who share your dream.

Take it easy.

Xsr8.

busz
24th Feb 2006, 16:45
Congrats Xsr8! When are you heading out to Hamilton?
You'll have a fantastic time over there! The flying is amazing, and the scenery breathtaking. I believe that they are building new accommodation for the cadets so you might be in luck, although im sure Peachgrove will be missed.

Get ready for many nights out in the Outback.;)

Alex

pc278
24th Feb 2006, 20:33
Well done Xsr8!

I hope to see you in New Zealand sometime soon, as do I guess about another 2 thousand applicants. I've got my phase 3 on 8th March and just doing some reading starting to get a bit jittery, but looking forward to it!

47Club
25th Feb 2006, 08:26
dboydan et al

My understanding is that CTC was taken from the name of the founder one Chris (maybe T) Clarke.

47Club

dboydan
25th Feb 2006, 17:17
Thanks for that 47club but it doesn't matter anymore because I didn't get through my stage 3!

Did anyone else do stage 3 on the 22nd Feb at Dibdon, I would really love to hear who if anyone got through, be interesting to see what sort of people they were looking for, because i've got no idea, other than im obviously not one of them!

raviolis
26th Feb 2006, 12:13
dboydan

I was there and not only I didn't go through, but also was invited not to reapply again ! (Was i that bad ? LOL)
It's a shame, but not everyone can go through, so many applicants and not so many places.
Would be cool to hear who went through, yeah. All the best to those !

Will (the Italian one)

dboydan
26th Feb 2006, 17:32
Will (The Italian one!)

Yeah I was told not to re-apply too, talk about kick you while you're down! what did you make of what they said about not being able to give feed back at this stage? do you think that means no feed back at stage 3 all together or at this time but in a few days they will send some?

So what are you going to do next? if you're anything like me you wont give up and you'll start looking for the next one, and use this as an experience, an expensive one at that, cor all the days off work I took to study and the loss in wages and everything else I and we all had to pay for, I really sacrificed a lot to prepare for CTC as im sure we all did, the least they could do is tell us where we went wrong. Fair enough they gave us those guidlines after telling us we were unsuccessful but all that stuff is just obvious and actually not really that helpfull, Anyway goodluck mate in whatever you decide to do next. If you find youself another decent scholarship or something of the sort then let me know wont you. Im actually looking into Jerez in Spain now, but im going to keep looking.

Just in case you didn't know which one I was, well I was wearing the orange tie and and was from Essex, ha thats probably why I didn't get in!

raviolis
26th Feb 2006, 22:05
Orange tie from Essex : :-)

maybe the reason you didn't make it was the orange tie ! :-)

the way I see it is that they won't give us any feedback at all.
I guess we paid our fees, done our bit and there's no interest in giving feedback.
The invite not to reapply was the icing on the cake, and it really goes against the principle of learning, preparation and training. Learn from mistakes to improve your skills.
Perhaps they are looking for natural "talents" and they don't want your performance to be altered by learned behaviours.
Arguably, I could have been able to fly blindfolded an F-16 inverted and still fail the group exercise ! LOL
Anyway it's always hard to tell, there's lots of demand and very little supply and that will always generate unhappy applicants !
I am gonna look elsewhere but this time I make sure I speak to as many people in the business as I can. When I applied with CTC I knew little about the scheme and I did it partially as a game. To my surprise I made it to stage 3 but as usual as you get a taste for it you want more, so I'll try other ways. Might cost a bit but nothing comes for free after all !

Good luck

Will (the Italian one !)

butair
27th Feb 2006, 10:23
Hi Guys,

I imagine the reason why they don't give feedback after stage 3/4 is to prevent posts here on what you should or shouldn't do in the process i.e. people wouldn't turn up acting like themselves. CTC make it very clear that they want people to act themselves and I think this is very important.

I got through on the 23rd with Xcr8 and like him I can't say how grateful I am to CTC for giving me this chance. There are plenty more options for the guys who don't get through so keep the head up and the chest out!:ok:

camflyer
28th Feb 2006, 13:16
Does anyone know how long it takes them to get back to you after you have faxed them your written questions (second part of application), because its been a while and i have heard nothing?
I'm thinking they didn't receive the fax! :confused:

Cheers

c_jephcott
28th Feb 2006, 14:31
I had sent the application off at 9:00am and had an answer by just after lunch. Maybe they were having a quiet time though?

How long has it been since you sent yours off?

camflyer
28th Feb 2006, 15:36
It has been just over a week, and there is no way of checking with them to make sure they got it is there?

Cheers for the reply

c_jephcott
28th Feb 2006, 15:44
Maybe it would be worth giving them a call to find out if they got it or not... Sometimes fax machines like to pretend they are the devil!!!

Superpilot
28th Feb 2006, 15:49
camflyer,

Don't be afraid to call them and ask, they are really not the kind of people to tell you to go away. In fact, they might ask you why you didn't call earlier!

I sent mine on a Friday and called up Monday morning to ask if it arrived (I don't trust fax machines one bit). She had a quick look through the pile, commented on my hand writing (:cool:) and said she'd get in touch by the end of the day. By Monday 4pm I had an email inviting me for Stage 2.

camflyer
28th Feb 2006, 16:06
Thanks for your help, i did phone them and it turns out they haven't received my fax so i got to send it again.

Cheers,
Camflyer

SMOOTHFLIER
28th Feb 2006, 18:36
Is there anyone who is going to be attending a phase 4 simulator selection soon? Please mail me as i think we could help each other.
Cheers

Reverand Lovejoy
5th Mar 2006, 11:50
Afternoon All,

Just got my pass result for phase 2 which I was sure I fluffed because I came out of the capacity test foaming from the ears and dribbling from one corner of my mouth!! Off to Dibden on the 4th April and would like to know if anyone ever obtained the questions from the Kent Uni website? They are still there but need a password now. If not I've got a basic idea and will just have to continue prepping.

Anyone else on phase 2 on the 3rd March get through. Would be cool if you did.

The Reverand

fokkertje
5th Mar 2006, 12:32
WINGS ATP
I'm off to stage 2 on the 10th of March and very much appreciate some usefull info on the excercises. I just heard the scheme changed and is no longer free of charge. Also the excercises changed?!
Also i heard we have group discussions on current subjects, could someone please post recent subjects that came up during these group excercises? I heard something about bullet-proof doors and air-marshalls.

fokkertje
5th Mar 2006, 12:42
one more:
Whats the dresscode?

Reverand Lovejoy
5th Mar 2006, 15:52
fokkertje
For cadets it is smart casual and although everyone on my assesment were wearing suits I turned up in a jumper and trousers :E I am sure it will be the same for you. Have you not been told? If not then a suit may not be the worst of options.

With respect to the group discussion the topic really is a moot point. The main thing they are looking for is your interaction with others and how you dominate an argument or not, whatever the case is. This is true because although the topics are on recent events, that recent event could be to discuss the moral implications of abortion or whether or not Tony Blair should me Priminister. Obviously they may not even be aviation based. It's not what your talking about or whether or not you can disscus the inner-workings of an IRS system (this is done at groundschool), but how you go about getting your point across. As with any piece of advice you receive on this forum find out for yourself as this is just my 2cents worth.

Good Luck
The Reverand:ok:

quadlogic
6th Mar 2006, 08:37
Morning all,

Congrats Lovejoy I also just found I passed stage 2, though i'm not at dibden till 5th April and if anyone has any useful info on stage 3 would be much apreciated.

For whoever might find it useful this was lay out of my stage 2 day;

a.m. (10 - 12) presentation teliing people about the scheme
lunch for half hour (£160 for a sandwich, what a rip!)
p.m. was split into two groups, some people did the following in opposite order but for me
12.30-12.45 simple numeracy test 15 questions in 15 minutes basic maths although the questions had to be extracted, (e.g. if an aircraft decends from 10000 feet at a rate of 1500 feet per minute to 4000 feet, how long does it take to decend?)
Then quite a bit of sitting about waiting to start the capacity test.
2.00-3.30 capacity test, the previously mentioned pilapt test, (uses 7 different modules) this wasnt to complex until the last test, it involves using a joystick to center a crosshair on the centre of the screen, simple shape identification, number recognition etc (simple tests using combination of either keyboard, joystick or a mouse as inputs and headphones and a monitor as outputs)
3.30-late, a long train journey home!

Everyone there was wearing a suit except for one in a jumper who im guessin was reverand lovejoy!
thanks to anyone posting advice on this forum, very useful
dan

aaron wilmott
6th Mar 2006, 15:10
hey. well done for getting through to stage 3.

I recently attended a stage 3 assesment day. Unfortunately i didnt get through but was asked to reapply as i was very close.
stage 3 is a good day, involving group problem solving and an interview with a pannel of selectors. it is a relaxed atmosphere and you should try to enjoy it. good luck!:ok:

captainbirdseye
7th Mar 2006, 09:23
Hi

I am off to stage 4. Anyone got any pointers? I have a rather rusty ppl - actually more rusted solid as i have not taken the controls for 3 years now!

Dont know if its of use to go and get some sim time?

Any advice, especially from someone whos been there and done it would be great.

cheers

CBE

Reverand Lovejoy
7th Mar 2006, 12:25
Well done Birdseye,

Can you give advice on the stage 3 questions as there seems to be alot of change in the last few months. Was it 2 group discussions and an interview? Were the interview questions based on technical aspects of flight or economic? I ask this because my friend did the same recently and he claimed they asked him what the 5 step process would be in setting up a new airline?! If this is the case I'm done for!!

Before anyone starts having a go I'm not interested in specific questions just whether or not they are tech or economic based.

With respect to the stage 4 assesment are you in the 73- or the king air? Either way there is an average of about 85% pass rate at this stage and the guys are only looking for an improvement in your ability to fly the afoermentioned aircraft. If all else fails, enjoy the sim time as it's probaly the last time you'll see the left hand seat of a King air or the 73- for some time. (please don't read that as an insult!!)

Oh yeah - to answer your question, I wouldn't bother shelling out for sim time as it's the improvement and learning capability these guys are looking for! If you go in and ace the first try you'll only set yourself up to fail the second (comparison) flight. With this being said and done it's not worth flunking the first to get a good second. Are u lost yet?!?! Primary piece of advice is to do your best at whatever is thrown at you in the sim. Don't plan for it and just deal with it at the time the best you know how. This is what will give you the best chance at passing. Please note I am only at stage 3 - but this is how I would deal with this matter.

The very best of luck!!!

The Reverand :ok:

busz
7th Mar 2006, 13:39
Very good advice from the Reverand.

PilotNotFlying
9th Mar 2006, 14:49
something entirely different:
I suppose most of you get to bournemouth by train right?! What would be the best connection from london?
I thought of renting a car, but every car rental says one has to be at least 25, is that true?

Thanks,

Chris

Sky Wave
9th Mar 2006, 16:09
Where are you flying into? Heathrow?

You need to get to London Waterloo station and then you can get a direct train to Bournemouth.
If not I believe there is a coach service from Heathrow and Gatwick.

SW

jb5000
9th Mar 2006, 17:27
PNF,

I had a look a while back at easycar.com and if I remember right the minimum age is 21 on some of the smaller cars!

Hope that helps,

James

his3dmw
9th Mar 2006, 22:47
Good evening all,
This is my first post, but everything seems relatively friendly, which is all good.

Just wondered if anyone else was doing stage 2 on the 24th. Ive looked through the pages and pages on this thread and feel I have a good grasp on what to expect. If anyone would like to give any advice, however, I wouldn't say no. Im going to drive down night before but not sure where Im staying yet, so If anyone would like to meet up the night before, exchange notes!?, probably make each other more nervouse, I'd be happy to. Also if anyone is going from the leeds area and would like to share petrol pls speak up.

Otherwise I look forward to meeting some of you there.

dllcooper
10th Mar 2006, 21:35
Could someone be kind enough to offer me some advice on stage selection process:

1 - X
2 -X
3 - What were a few of the interview questions and what were the 2 group tasks?

Kind regards - David Cooper

c_jephcott
10th Mar 2006, 23:03
For some queries, there are new threads.

For everything else, there's the "CTC" Thread. There's a lot more details in there :}

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144926

PilotNotFlying
11th Mar 2006, 00:26
sky wave,

I think I'm gonna fly into Luton, but not sure yet. And I'm planning to go over there on march 31st.
I think it would be wise to get a credit card because without it I can't book a flight on easyjet or rent a car on easycar.com.

thanks for your help.

Chris

*Globex*
11th Mar 2006, 17:29
Hello everyone,

Another first post. I am thinking of applying for the CTC wings ATP scheme and I have some questions regarding the terms and conditions if you are placed with an airline under this scheme.

As I understand it you are not required to pay up front for the type rating,but the airline takes out a loan which is then repaid with a monthly deduction from your salary. Is this correct?
If so how big roughly is the monthly deduction,and is the salary before any deductions the same as for someone who joins with a type rating or is it less?

I understand that this will differ from airline to airline,but if someone could give a rough idea of what to expect I would appreciate it.

On the subject of finances: does stage 2 and 3 now cost £160 or are they still free?

Thanks for any replys
Globex

Xsr8
13th Mar 2006, 13:15
The next test is the pilapt behind the computer. You can not practice this. Just make sure you are well rested. Maybe take a red bull before entering so you're mind is quick and clear. You need to do a couple of eye hand coordination tests and some multi-tasking assignments. Maybe you can find something about pilapt on the internet.

There are no group discussions in phase 2. The day starts with a presentation of CTC. Then lunch and thereafter the tests.

Cheers

No group discussion? That's interesting. Every stage 2 day I've read about and my own stage 2 all included a group discussion. No actual group exercises, they're on at stage 3 but there should definitely be a group discussion about some random current affairs topics and other stuff. Maybe they've updated the process very recently, can anyone enlighten me?

Also, I think the comment about red-bull is what's known as 'bad advice'. Red Bull may help you feel more 'awake' but it will not increase any of the attributes that the pilapt tests are examining. Also, a large dose of caffeine combined with sugar is definitely not a good way of helping your body perform to its highest potential. Not to mention the inevitable crash that follows a caffeine/sugar high could seriously decrease your hand-eye coordination and concentration and leave asleep at the joystick so-to-speak. A quick google search will give you a lot of information about how bad for the body Red Bull really is.

And besides, even if there was a drink (Red Bull or otherwise) that increases your awareness, concentration etc. without having any negative effects, I think drinking it would constitute 'performance enhancing'. If you can't pass the pilapt tests without an 'energy boost', then you shouldn't be given a place on the scheme.

This is only an opinion after all, feel free to flame.

Xsr8.

newbie008
13th Mar 2006, 13:35
Been trauling through the CTC thread but there are far too many pages on there!! Does anyone recommend anywhere I can practice my numeracy for stage 2? websites books etc.. also what are the group discussions like?? many thanks

scroggs
13th Mar 2006, 14:19
The whole point of putting all the CTC (or other FTO) threads in one place is so that you know where to look or to ask your question, and don't litter the forum with duplicates of questions or discussions held earlier. Please put just a little effort in to reading this thread; you might actually find out stuff useful to you.

Scroggs

his3dmw
13th Mar 2006, 15:08
Cheers for the advice mate, I'll take it on board. Is there any need for long division as some have suggested? Just that it's been about 10 years since I've used it, so will have to give it extra practice, considering the test is only 15 mins long.

Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but are the exchange rates provided or are we expected to have a rough idea?

newbie008
13th Mar 2006, 18:30
also is there any fractions pythagarus etc.. or is all simple stuff, ive been going a bit overboard if its just + - x and /!!

Reverand Lovejoy
13th Mar 2006, 19:25
newbie008,

You have the potential to view loads of advice, regardless if you've read 30 pages of this thread or 3.
Been trauling through the CTC thread but there are far too many pages on there!!
God help us all!! You can't help anyone who doesn't want to help themselves.
also is there any fractions pythagarus etc.. or is all simple stuff, ive been going a bit overboard if its just + - x and /!!
This is exactly the point..... why not see fractions as division tasks and pythagarus as sqaures, ie multiplication. Yes........division and multiplication are required even on a decimal level, so as has been mentioned before....scrub up. They are not hard in their own right - just in the time frame given.

his3dmw
are the exchange rates provided or are we expected to have a rough idea?

The exhange rates are given to make them a decimal division/mulitplication example. I.e. "you have 26 quid, you go to America where the echange rate is 1.6 dollars to the pound, you spend nothing then go to france where the euro is 0.8 to the dollar. How many Euros do you have"?

Good luck to you both.

The Reverand :ok:

aaron wilmott
13th Mar 2006, 19:37
Hey. Ive read alot of this thread. Seems to me that there are few people who get through stage three. If there is anybody who has got to stage four or further, is there any chance you could let me know what you think you did right. ive been asked back after narrowly missing out at stage three. im picking my brains trying to think what i can do in the four months left before my interview again.I want to do something that will improve my chances. i was thinking of getting a few hours of flying in.
Any advice would be greatly received. thanks azzz.

his3dmw
14th Mar 2006, 10:37
I appreciate your somewhat condescending advice. However, I merely asked whether exhange rates were provided. I don't think there is any harm in trying to get the best grasp of what to expect on the day. With regards reading through the thread, I have done that thoroughly and at no point is there a mention of the answer to my question. My question was a response to anothers post.

I'm sure you'll know about the elements of stress going into each of the phases. What reason is there for patronising comments from people who have managed to get themselves through to the next stage?

Congratulations for progressing as far as you have and good luck in future.

Superpilot
14th Mar 2006, 11:38
Anybody here applied to CTC whilst doing their ATPL Theory Groundschool? (Distance Learning or Full Time). I've been going for a few months but do not have any exams done yet. Anyone know if this is a big no no or not?

Wing_Bound_Vortex
14th Mar 2006, 14:20
Superpilot,

Think it would be an advantage to be honest, you've already got a head start with the theory, which makes the whole process a bit less stressful! I know of at least one guy on the scheme who had done all this Atpl exams ( via University ) before starting in Nz. Lucky bugger only had to think about the flying when he was there, more time for spending on the beach too!

Shouldn't be a prob

WBV

Reverand Lovejoy
14th Mar 2006, 16:30
his3dmw,

At no point was any condescending tone aimed at yourself. After reading your post I edited mine to make sure that any judgement was aimed at newbie only. If it was mistaken, I'm sorry. Your question was valid which is why I did my best to answer it.

It just frustrates me when people spend alot of time answering questions only to be asked it over and over again because of the "I can't be bothered attitude".

Also, your u/name is similar to a leeds Uni login - r u there?

The Reverand:ouch:

air_wolf
14th Mar 2006, 16:34
got the stage 4 sim check coming up soon. any advice from somebody who has recently done it? was it in King Air 200 or the DA42? and what they did want you to do - circuits, straight and level, turns etc?? any help very much appreciated.

re getting through stage 3, would suggest reading up about the airlines involved, basic mechanics of why a plane flies and show your enthusiasm and determination to become a pilot. read a couple of books about flying, some magazines e.g. Flight International, Airliner World, go to the boeing and airbus websites etc - all give good info that you can drop into the conversation. need to show that you are motivated and knowlegable about the industry. good luck!

kileA
14th Mar 2006, 18:05
This is a bit of a random question, but to all of you who managed to get through the CTC evaluation/testing phases, what did you get in your A-Levels? Bit of a strange question i know.

cparker
14th Mar 2006, 18:53
BCC and a 2:2 at loughborough uni

all the best

Superpilot
14th Mar 2006, 20:23
I've been PM'ing people about this but seem to have conflicting views!

For the moving cross task. Were the joystick controls normal, or traditional pilot type? i.e. were they:

up for up, and down for down?

or

up for down, and down for up?

Thanks

air_wolf
14th Mar 2006, 20:56
towards you for up, away from you for down i.e. like in a plane.

Reverand Lovejoy
15th Mar 2006, 10:21
Maybe the confussion lies in what is actualy moving. There is a circle that has a fixed cross in it. Overlapping this is another cross hair slider that moves around the screen.
If the moving cross is in the top left quadrant then a correction input from the joystick would be back/down and right.
It is completely different to an aircraft because when I fly the needles I am correcting the fixed cross on the CDI towards the moving cross (ILS needles), where as here I am correcting the moving needles towards the fixed cross.
A simpler example would be to think of the sense as being the same as when you calibrate a joy stick! Back is down and forward is up.
Clear as mud I pressume :confused: - I'm not very good at explaining things am I

his3dmw
15th Mar 2006, 11:36
Fair enough, let that be an end to the matter.
Yes this is a Leeds uni login, Im in my final year. I use this as it is easy to remember as I use it everyday. R U at Leeds uni yourself?

P.S. Ive noticed you removed my u/name from the top of your post. Cheers for that. Also, at the risk of contradicting myself, I have to say that I slightly agree with you regarding newbie. I'm all for trying to get as much info as poss, but to expect others to do the work for you is a bit poor.

SMOOTHFLIER
15th Mar 2006, 12:13
anyone going to stage 4 this week or soon ?????
good luck to the guys going to stage 4 tomorrow! let me know how it goes please as i have my stage 4 coming up soon, pm me is better if you are not comfortable posting in this forum.
cheers
smoothflier :ok:

Xsr8
15th Mar 2006, 13:05
I hate to contradict, but the way the Reverend describes the use of the joystick is incorrect. If the moving cross is in the top-left of the screen, in order to move it back to the centre (down and right on the screen) you would need to push the stick forward (away from you) and to the right. Just like if you were manoeuvering the nose of an aircraft down and to the right. I can't understand why there's been so much debate about this, it's the same way all aircraft/flight sims work and it's not that complex.

While I'm here: Has anyone recently passed selection and been assigned to CP36? My induction's on 06/04 and I was wondering if anyone who frequents here will be there.

Stay frosty.

Xsr8.

Reverand Lovejoy
15th Mar 2006, 13:49
Now I've confused myself!! I thought the CDI test was how I described it and the "correct" sense test was the plane through boxes!

Whichever the case - it will be made perfectly clear to you, with the test runs before hand so don't worry. By the time you get to the capacity test it will need to be automatic anyway coz you wont be focusing on the cross hairs!

Xsr8 - I noticed you said there is a group discussion about I never had one on the 3rd March, nor did candidates on the 24th February. I think this is going to be a permanent change.

Superpilot
15th Mar 2006, 14:32
I'm not surprised if the group discussion part of Stage 2 has been taken away. Far too many people for the assessor to keep track off. My session went a bit chaotic at one point. Lot's of people dieing to get a word in edgeways! :O

kileA
15th Mar 2006, 16:39
Hi,

I am currently in 6th form and am about to finish my first year. I am taking 3 A-levels which are Geography, Sociology & Business Studies. I am hoping to apply for the CTC scheme as soon as i finish 6th form next year. So what i would like to know is out of the people that managed to get through the selection phases, what did they manage to attain in their A-levels and whether they went onto university.

Thanks Very Much. :cool:

cparker
15th Mar 2006, 17:19
Your multi tasking is not great is it? :}

I replied to your other post on the CTC Wings thread re A level results.

Charlie

kileA
15th Mar 2006, 17:23
I know and appreciate it, and that gives me some info on the topic of grades and if uni is a neccessity. But i just really want to know from people who have managed to get through the phases of selection and just see what they managed to get in the way of qualifications. I am just starting to "pull out hairs" over the fact that i think i won't get what i need to in my A-levels. :ugh:

A38lephant
15th Mar 2006, 18:10
C,C,D - (at this point of my life I was more interested in girls than that boring education thing) and 2:1 Law degree - :D

Whilst i'm here, there is much debate as to who actually has involvement in taking wings graduates (I mean airlines). The website states easyjet,TCX, FCA, Monarch, Jet 2, MYT and Thomson fly. I've also heard rumours that BA have signed up. Can anyone clarify the present situation?

Cheers
A38e :ok:

kileA
15th Mar 2006, 19:09
A38elephant, are you going through CTC at the moment, or doing training somewhere else?

Thanks.

c_jephcott
15th Mar 2006, 19:32
Ok then, time for a little plea! :)

I'm doing the Stage 4 next Thursday (11:30) at Bournemouth and am staying Wednesday night in Stour Villa.

So is anybody else out there doing the same? Or am I on my own?

Cheers

Chris

NickS
15th Mar 2006, 21:37
Hi there,

Just finished reading all 33 pages of advice, banter and insults; I was meant to have done lots of work tonight, but never mind.

I applied in mid October last year, passed stage 1 but am now on hold probably until I finish my masters in October. Reading all of your comments has really made me want to get through the selection and (fingers tightly crossed) succeed.

Anyway cheers for all the comments and advice that sounded useful, I'm sure I'll be reading it all again before I go to stage 2, if I ever get to go.

Cheers

Nick

alfredo sauce
16th Mar 2006, 04:16
hahaha
hi i dont qualify for the CTC Wings program because im not an EU national, but ive been following this thread and all i have to say is that there is so much useful info here you guys should take it all and publish a book!!! this thread is not only helpful to those that want to apply to this particular program but also to those applying to other avaition programs where a selection process is involved
well thats all i got to say.
good luck to you all

SMOOTHFLIER
16th Mar 2006, 19:27
Air_wolf check ur pms please.
cheers

air_wolf
17th Mar 2006, 11:05
just found out that I passed stage 4 and am on the wings cadet scheme. just wanted to say a bit thanks to all who have posted on this thread - the odd bit of info here and there has really helped. hell, without the posts i wouldn't have even known about the scheme! as for stage 4, not a whole lot you can do to prepare apart from playing some flying games on your playstation. PM me though if you've got specific questions. all the best to those who are doing there stage 4 in the next few weeks.
cheers again.

bjkeates
17th Mar 2006, 12:26
Air Wolf, were you there yesterday? Which one were you? Congratulations! :)

I was and also have just found that I've passed Stage 4 and, subject to class 1 medical and the other various formalities, will be offered a place on the course. Was really shocked - I didn't think I'd done well enough in the sim and was convinced I'd be going back in 6 months. Absolutely over the moon about it now! When are you going? All being well, I'll be heading out to NZ in August.

c_jephcott
17th Mar 2006, 14:50
you're all making me jealous... ;)

Give me a week or so and I'll see what I will be doing next year!

KentDiamond
17th Mar 2006, 17:53
Just a quick note for the guys I met yesterday at stage 4, I passed as well (even though I broke the sim and preferred grass to tarmac when I landed). Daphne called me today at work so I didn't have to wait all day but they want me to leave on the 12th April so am now frantically packing bags!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice on here, its been said plenty of times but it really helps you feel prepared if you read it through. Hope to see some more of you soon in NZ, PM me if you want to get in touch before we head off!

bjkeates
17th Mar 2006, 18:12
Congratulations mate! 12th April - wow! Have a fantastic time, and see you out there hopefully!

newbie008
17th Mar 2006, 18:38
congratulations lads wish i was you! Got my stage 2 coming up, so cramming in the revision. Any tips for it?? Im slightly worried about the spatial awareness tasks if there are any? Anyone used the pilapt prep? Looks rather simple from the internet site but ive ordered it anyway as im so keen to get all the way through, but lets wait and see hey!

bjkeates
17th Mar 2006, 21:28
There really isn't a great deal you can do to prepare for Phase 2. What I would advise is listen very carefully to the presentation - should you get through to Phase 3, there are some very interesting pieces of information given in it that you might find useful for your interview. Also, make sure your basic maths skills are up to scratch.

Other than that, good luck and just do your best on the day. Remember you're in competition with CTC's high standards, not each other. If you're good enough, you'll get through (and likewise if you fall short of what they expect, you won't.) And from what I've seen of the application process having been through it, the likelihood is that if you've practised loads on sample PilApts and therefore got some kind of advantage over the those people who haven't and made it through to Phase 3 solely on that basis, they'll probably weed you out at Phase 3 or 4 anyway. It's not just at Phase 2 where you have to demonstrate aptitude and ability to be a pilot - such qualities need to be evident the whole way through the process. I don't mean that in a big-headed way from the view that I got in - it's just pretty obvious from the very low application success rate. The selection team are not stupid - they have very high standards and know exactly what's expected, and they'll spot a fake coming a mile off.

jaimz1982
18th Mar 2006, 14:45
Hi everyone,

First time post on here, Ive read as much as possible almost all 30 odd pages.

I am just about to reply to the faxed part of the application form (CTC WINGS) problem is, I've not really considered flying at all before I simply thought of it as a kid, went to Uni, did degree then masters and then got friendly with a 'Nigel' from BA and thought I would love to do that profession. Im not up for sitting in an office.

So I'm not sure what to put when they ask about 'what have I done to become an airline pilot? and What do I think are the attributes of a pilot of the future? My background is in Business, Marketing and Research.

Also do they mind you've never flown? and another random one, one the BA site it says that a pilot has to be between a certain height think 6ft3 is the max, well in shoes in about 6ft6, if I ever get selected for an interview will they take one look at me an go 'nope sorry mate you won't fit'

Can anyone help?

Thanks for any help and advice

Jaimz

fat_albert
18th Mar 2006, 23:01
Congratulations to those of you who have been offered places on the course.

Were you able to choose a course start date or did you have to take the date they offered? Only reason I ask is that my employer could require 3 months notice before I leave :eek: (I'm hoping they let me off for good behaviour!)

Tall Boy
18th Mar 2006, 23:16
Daphne will ask you for your availability when you go for your stage 4. Having to give three months notice shouldn't be a problem, I know of at least one guy who had to do just that before he could start.

Tall Boy

captain_murray
19th Mar 2006, 22:54
:cool: Hi, this is my first post.

Just back from phase two on friday! Found out i got through at 3pm this afternoon waiting in the airport to go back to glasgow! great news!

Anyone else there, did you or know if anyone else got through?

Got phase 3 on the 18 of april and pretty excited! anyone else going then give me a shout

cheers

FatboyTim
19th Mar 2006, 23:58
MARK HEG

check your PMs mate, very belated reply to your message, sorry!:ugh:

FatboyTim
20th Mar 2006, 00:08
....actually, I just realised I did reply to your PM, so now you have another PM saying roughly the same thing as the first...sorry.

Captainbirdseye:

Same thing mate, didnt know whether or not I had replied to your message so I sent u one anyway...turns out I did reply....so now u have 2 messages.

God, I'm useless!

This is what CTC does to your brain! :{

Superpilot
20th Mar 2006, 10:28
Anybody going for a re-sit of Stage 2 anytime soon?

PM me if you want.

Nordams
21st Mar 2006, 15:24
Anyone had any news yet?????

:confused:

Flies-like-a-chicken
21st Mar 2006, 15:32
Hello everyone,

I attended my phase 3 interview in March and, after watching neighbours and Bill Oddie for several hours before my interview, fried my brain to the point that I could barely answer the preliminary questions like name and age. Fortunately someone saw through my vegetable state and offered me the opportunity to re-apply in 6 months. Can anyone who has done this or known of others in the same position help me out and let me know what to expect?! Do I need to re-do phases 1 and 2?

FatboyTim
22nd Mar 2006, 15:34
no, normally straight back into phase 3. I guess it depends on individual circumstances, but normally you just get another shot at the phase you failed at. As for what to expect? Same as last time my friend!

Good luck:ok:

YYZ
22nd Mar 2006, 19:45
And you just leave all wondering what happened!!

Congrats on the Stage 4!
Enjoy......:cool:

Nordams
22nd Mar 2006, 21:49
Cheers mate.

Here's hoping you make it too

Good luck

jb5000
23rd Mar 2006, 21:00
Hi everyone,

Would be interested to hear from anyone from stage 3 last wednesday (22nd). Is anyone going to stage four next thursday?

All the best to everyone on the day, hope to hear some good news from you all soon.

James

SMOOTHFLIER
23rd Mar 2006, 21:54
HEY ANY OF YOU GUYS JOINING ME FOR STAGE 4 ON 6TH APRIL IN BOURNEMOUTH?
REALLY HOPING IT GOES WELL THIS TIME :eek: :sad:
IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED :{ TRY TRY TRY TRY TRY AND TRY AGAIN. :E

c_jephcott
24th Mar 2006, 08:27
I am now waiting for the results of yesterdays stage 4.

Talk about nerve wracking... I don't think I have any finger nails left at all.

It was a challenge and I could have done much better... but we will have to wait and see what happens...

But this is worse than the wait for the Interview at stage 3!!!

Cheers

Chris

Superpilot
24th Mar 2006, 10:04
I thought you guys had the results there and then? :confused:

c_jephcott
24th Mar 2006, 10:05
not this time!

Some people in the last couple of weeks got the phone calls after a couple of hours. The others had to wait for a few hours into the next day. Which is very nervewracking! I'd have loved to have had the results straight off!

FatboyTim
24th Mar 2006, 10:29
smoothflier

let me know how your phase 4 resit goes mate

good luck

(with any luck you will get to do it in the 737 sim - awesome little toy!!!)

captain_murray
24th Mar 2006, 13:57
ok guys well done to everyone who has made it to and passed phase 3!

Instead of asking questions on what they are looking for etc whic is some youe ither are or arent I thought i'd see what we can do on bits you can work on. YOUR INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE!

So i've got phase 3 on the 18th or april and i've been trying to swot up on my knowledge. heres what i've been looking;

the obvious http://www.boeing.co.uk/ and http://www.airbus.com/en/

just to get us started, so if anyone whos is either preparing for or done pase wants to put up what they've been doing i'm sure alot of people would appreciate it. Random facts would be appreciated to for example;

'Overall, the entire 737 family is the best-selling commercial jet in history, winning orders for more than 6,000 737s.

thanks alot people anyone want to get in touch your more than welcome particularlly if you are going to Dibden on the 18th

cheers
captain_murray

captain_murray
24th Mar 2006, 14:00
hey, just read over that post i made and noticed how badly its typed! Just though i'd apologize been workign on my thesis for liek 4 hours straight!

c_jephcott
24th Mar 2006, 16:36
Guys,

I failed stage 4. With no chance of a resit. That is the most gutting experience of my life. I can't even begin to describe it.

Yesterday was just generally the biggest disaster of my life.

At 9:15 I got a phone call from CTC asking me where I was. The email I had recieved had said 11:30 for a 12:00 start.

Then as I had got dressed in an absolute hurry, I drove to the airport at Bournemouth and then couldn't get across the bridge as two cars were pointed nose to nose in some bizarre road rage incident. Making me another 30 minutes late.

Then driving home on the motorway that night, I had to utilise my first aid skills on an accident on the M1 as a car infront of me flipped over pretty much.

And then finally, to top it all off, I got dumped when I got back home.

Well... I guess that's just one of those days. I'm not overly surprised I failed the assessment. To be told not to reapply though is the most horribly horrible gutting feeling that I could ever imagine.

Cheers
Chris

Superpilot
24th Mar 2006, 19:11
Hi mate, really feel for you. So close yet so far! :\ The events that took place on that day (as you've described) clearly show that luck is also a required to get into these schemes. Only the extremely big-headed ones here think they get onto these schemes due to their own hardwork! But, hey that's life. I'm sure you'll find another way. :cool:

c_jephcott
24th Mar 2006, 23:04
Yeah. I'm off to Oxford instead. :cool:

Well, if they don't want me, I'm sure I'm going to make a damn fine pilot somewhere else.

It is all about luck. Luck of the assessor, luck of the day, luck of the sim. It just didn't go for me on Thursday. Am I upset? Yes. Totally. Surprised? Not really. It's just one of those things. I know that on my day, I could pass Stage 4... it just wasn't my day this time.

Above all else, good luck to those who get this far. It hurts to get kicked back at this stage. If anybody wants to PM me with their experiences of it, please do!

raviolis
25th Mar 2006, 11:36
jephcott

sorry mate, sounds like a truly awful experience.
I got kicked out at stage 3 and, although it hurts, like all rejections, everything happens for a reason.

CTC told me I have the aptitude (I passed stage 2) and I like to think I would have passed stage 4 (I am only training but I can fly an airplane quite well and learning very fast as my instructors say) so that means the bit I fluffed is the multi-crew environment and team work exercises (quite funny since I have years of corporate work experience with very positive achievements on my CV) which doesn't really mean you can't become a professional pilot.
The fact that the interviews were not in my native language didn't help either, I guess (are there many non-British cadets on the scheme ?).
Last but not least I wouldn't really worry about the so-called "technical" questions of the stage 3 interview. Any plane-spotters can tell a 737 from an A320 so why couldn't a wannabe pilot ?
I don't understand why they ask you in the interview what kind of planes do easyJet fly (I was tempted to answer "they're big, white and orange") whilst there could be many more questions that could really separate the men from the boys at the interviews.
What really annoyed me is the fact they invited me not to reapply, but, to be cynical, why would they want me back when there's thousands more applying new and fresh (and bringing in a 164 quid golden hello ?)

Anyway I look at my CTC failure in a positive way, they proved me I can do it. It actually motivated me to get training seriously and at my expenses. It's gonna cost a lot, but it's well worth it. It's just a matter of priorities !

Regards

cparker
25th Mar 2006, 12:21
What really annoyed me is the fact they invited me not to reapply, but, to be cynical, why would they want me back when there's thousands more applying new and fresh (and bringing in a 164 quid golden hello ?)

Good point. But, the £164 covers the cost to selecting the thousands of people that apply.

It's gonna cost a lot, but it's well worth it. It's just a matter of priorities !

Regards

You have priorities...so do CTC hence my first point.

All the best for the future.

Pha02ajw
25th Mar 2006, 12:50
hi

We talk alot about ctc here but has anyone been down to the skills assessment at OXford and can shed some light on the whole experiece??

I've been down to ctc, failed phase 3 but expecting to go beck down in next few weeks.

Please post your question on a thread relevant to OAT. Do not take this thread off-topic.

Scroggs

raviolis
25th Mar 2006, 13:26
Good point. But, the £164 covers the cost to selecting the thousands of people that apply.

hey there's no bitterness in my words, only saying why retargeting someone when there's no shortage of fresh meat. The money thing is part of the game, we all have to make a living.

You have priorities...so do CTC hence my first point.

All the best for the future.

Thank you. I am sure they do have priorities and I didn't match theirs.
One of my instructors is a former BA Captain and for the time he's been knowing me (much longer than the interview time) he doesn't see me as a potential training risk for a FTO.
Everyone is entitled to have their opinion (the CTC panel for stage 3 is made of former cabin crew members and former flight deck crew, no former BA pilots from what I can recall from the presentations) but I am just saying that been knocked off at the selection stages shouldn't put anyone off the idea of succeeding. It actually did quite the opposite with me.

Charlie Parker was told by his teachers he would never become a good musician ! :-)

Regards

cparker
26th Mar 2006, 00:18
raviolis
Sorry to take this of subject....but funny you should mention the music thing. I was told at school that I was not good enough to play the sax. Seriously though, I wasn't - i was awful!
Your right about the selection process. They do make it clear that just because you dont pass the CTC selection it does not mean that your not suitable to be a pilot. Thats the main thing to bare in mind.
Best of luck with whatever you do in the future.
C

newbie008
26th Mar 2006, 13:51
having failed the ctc selection process what are the options available? they make it quite clear how hard it is to get a job just having a fatpl. its a real knock back and im not sure what to do or even if im good enough now to be a pilot? any help much appreciated

c_jephcott
26th Mar 2006, 15:04
Newbie, just don't give up hope. That's the worst thing that you can do.

If you are serious about still wanting to go for it, go to Cranfield and sit their initial pilot inspection/assessment. That way you'll be able to see your weak spots and be able to advise what you can do to improve.

And yes, it is difficult to get a job with an (f)ATPL, but keep optimistic. Sometimes it is worth the gamble just to see what happens. :) And that's what I'm doing...

Cheers

Chris

A38lephant
26th Mar 2006, 17:00
Everyone is entitled to have their opinion (the CTC panel for stage 3 is made of former cabin crew members and former flight deck crew, no former BA pilots from what I can recall from the presentations)
Had stage 3 two weeks ago and the two Pilot assessors were retired BA747-400 captains who had been through the BA sponsorship scheme. :ok:

A38lephant
30th Mar 2006, 10:35
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/waikatotimes/0,2106,3605942a6579,00.html

Taken on 16th March '06.

sicky
30th Mar 2006, 13:37
i was at stage 2 on 3rd march aswell as a few others i notice, did'nt get through but got invited to reapply in 6months. to be honest i think i'll be looking at other options and if i have nothing sorted in 6months time i'll reapply

SMOOTHFLIER
30th Mar 2006, 18:00
hey guys was there any body out there at stage 4 today? if there was could you pm me please, would like a chat just,
cheers

Hullabaloo
1st Apr 2006, 17:22
Hi there,

This is my first post on the CTC forum despite reading a lot of it over the past few weeks, very helpful I might add! Thanks to everyone that has posted on it.

I have my stage 3 coming up and was wondering if anyone who has attended stage 3 recently could tell me of any questions that were asked at the interview? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Hullabaloo

fat_albert
2nd Apr 2006, 22:35
Has anybody heard anymore about the CTC Wings Cadet scheme becoming an integrated scheme? There was talk about it towards the beginning of this thread but I haven't heard anything since.

Hullabaloo

Your question on Stage 3 has been asked many times already on this thread. Have a search and you'll find a few gems. I would suggest researching the industry you hope to join and the course you hope to undertake as well as the standard questions all interviewers ask.

Good Luck

sicky
2nd Apr 2006, 22:37
As far as i know the CTC Wings scheme is integrated. :) Thats certainly the impression i got when i was at my assessment.

bjkeates
2nd Apr 2006, 23:06
I have my stage 3 coming up and was wondering if anyone who has attended stage 3 recently could tell me of any questions that were asked at the interview? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hullabaloo
I've just got on the CTC Wings scheme and am off to NZ in August, and I'll give you the same advice as I've given others that have asked for it...

I know it's been said millions of times, but seriously just BE YOURSELF. There's no point going to your interview with pre-prepared answers - most of what I got asked was based around what I'd put on my application form, about my jobs and extra-curricular activities and so on so there's no point in me telling you the actual questions because they'd be completely different for you. You do need to show evidence of being able to work well in a team and the amount of technical stuff asked appears to depend on your flying experience so far - I got hardly any but one or two others on my day got quite a bit. Do a bit of research into the airlines CTC places cadets with. And really, just relax and enjoy the day as much as possible. I was nervous and I expect most people who do it will be, but even though you have to keep in mind you're being assessed, your true personality will come across best if you really get stuck into, and enjoy, the group exercises.

Just do your best on the day, and try not to get too nervous about it. Very best of luck.

EDIT: Fat Albert, the scheme is now definitely integrated - they make this clear at the Stage 2 presentation as far as I can remember.

sicky
3rd Apr 2006, 00:54
well if i'm still not sorted by september, i'll be reapplying for the ctc wings scheme. Hopefully i'll get all the way next time around, if needs be.

Superpilot
3rd Apr 2006, 09:17
How can the scheme be called integrated when there is still flexibility on how much time you spend in NZ for the basic (PPL) phase? An integrated course is one where you have to redo your entire PPL training, CTC are still allowing flexibility on this remember. Furthermore ATPL ground school is still distance learning based. I’m not so sure your information is correct! ;)

Port Strobe
3rd Apr 2006, 10:55
The course as it stands just now is modular. It should be changing to integrated in the very near future, and I guess this is why applicants at stage 2 are being given this information now because if successful they will be joining an integrated course.

Superpilot
3rd Apr 2006, 11:03
What does that say about the basic phase and the refunds that are currently offered to those with post PPL hours? All going to change?

sicky
3rd Apr 2006, 22:32
i'm pretty sure when i was at phase 2 that they mentioned the ground school was taught classroom hours and not distance learning

ask26
3rd Apr 2006, 23:20
They have what is a structured modular course - the G/S is done over in NZ via distance learning Bristol, which currently procludes the CAA from giving the course integrated status. Only Cabair, OAT, FTE and WAAC are CAA approved integrated courses.

Reverand Lovejoy
6th Apr 2006, 09:31
Mornin' All,
I had my phase 3 two days ago and unfortunately failed. I sat there in the interview and mummbled sh!te about all sorts of things and never gave any real specific answers....... idiot! Anywho, they have called me back as one of the two interviewers must have seen something! My question to anyone in the know is what is the pass rate after an initial fail? I would pressume I have a better chance now than I did then but still not sure. Who else is/was in the same boat? I still have my degree to finish off so the 6 months isn't an issue but I am considering other avenues. CTC have been very reserved in there feedback and I am wandering if the next interview will be the same i.e start again or a case of just asking what has changed between then and now. If you've also failed stage 3 and were given a second chance can you let me know what the deal is? If your out there now congrats........and the best of luck to colley_316 who is probaly in the kingair sim now doing his stage 4!! Lucky sod :=
Many thanks

jb5000
6th Apr 2006, 09:59
Rev,

Check your PMs!

Sky Wave
6th Apr 2006, 10:42
Rev

Sorry to hear that you didn't get through this time.

Did you turn up in Jumper and Trousers again or did you wear a suit?

Do they specifically tell you that you failed the interview section or could it have been the group exercises?

Regards

SW

Reverand Lovejoy
6th Apr 2006, 11:06
Sky Wave
This time I wore a suit. I had never owned a suit before so purchased one for the occasion. At least I will wear it once more this year in October! They didn't give specific feedback due to limited resources but did give a list of things that could have gone wrong and by my own admission noticed that it would have been the interview that did it. I have never had a formal interview before as all my previous jobs were of the cash in hand nature or for family/friends!!

Jb5000
Thankyou for the advice it instills yet more confidence and those group exercises weren't difficult but due to everyone trying to make the same points and tick the right boxes it is hard not to step on anyones toes.

I did well on the tech questions but never once sold myself to female HR interviewer. For some reason I thought that because they had my application in front of them I wouldn't have to go over experiences I had put on it and ended up rambling on about general points..........not good. When I left I even went back through it in my head and the BA captain even tried to give me prompts at one point to expand on a piece of experience which I glossed over and moved on. I cant beleive it, but over the last 48 hours have learned alot about airline interview technique and would happily take the stage again tommorrow. However, there is a wait now till I finish Uni so not all bad. Be aware guys/gals that the interview is semi-structured and they want you to be yourself. Also remember that you are being interviewed by professionals that know exactly what they are looking for, so never forget to stop selling yourself aslong as you can justify your confidence with well thought out answers and experiences. Good luck to those currently going through the process and I will see some of you again in October for stage 3. If you are lucky enough to get through this stage congratulations, if you get the opportunity to resit then do it. Even though I hated myself yesterday and felt sick it really isn't the end of the world to be offered a second attempt. Best of luck to SMOOTHFLYER and COLLEY_316 who both had stage 4 today. Be sure to let us know how it went even if, like me, it didn't quite work out. Ding Ding........ bring on round 2!!

quoc
6th Apr 2006, 20:58
Hi all!

Just spent the last few days reading the 37 odd pages on this thread. Boy are there alot of info! I still have a few questions though...

My eyes are as follows:

Aided = VA right 6/5, VA left 6/5
Unaided = VA right 6/10, VA left 6/7.5

I have had a look at the JAR class 1 visual standards, but do not understand some of the technical terms. I have asked my optometrist, but she was extremely unhelpful.

It says:

"Must be at least 6/9 in each eye separately and 6/6 using both eyes together...with or without glasses"

Does that mean I pass the visual standards? I don't want to book phase two and spend 164.50 if I dont stand a chance in passing the medical. Apart from my eyesight, I am healthy and fit, and see no reason why I would fail the JAR class 1.

The dates that have been given to me for phase 2 are the 5th of May or the 12th of May. Anyone here planning to go on either of these two days? Where are you planning to stay?

Also, for phase two, apart from brushing up on my Maths is there anything else I need to do, like read up on the industry etc, or is this more for the third stage. I am currently in my final year of uni, and the phase 2 test is also during my examination period. I do not see myself being free enough to study up on the industry. If they are looking for knowledge of the industry and flying in general at this stage, I think it may be best if I ask them to provide me with a later date.

Anyways, I hope you guys/gals can answer some of my questions.

Thanks in advance,

Quoc

mbcxharm
6th Apr 2006, 21:46
Maybe best to ask that question in the medical forum, but it sounds to me as if, yes, you need glasses, but with the glasses your eyesight is fine. Top number bigger than the bottom number means that your eyesight is better than average and vice versa. You haven't quoted a figure for 'both eyes together' but since you are 6/5 in each one with glasses I can't see that being a problem...

Flies-like-a-chicken
7th Apr 2006, 08:08
Reverand,

I had my phase 3 at the start of march and failed due to my frightening ignorance with regards to the aviation industry. They've said I can re-apply in 6 months (septemberish) so I'm gonna try get a job at Leeds Bradford airport after I graduate and become a plane nerd! What have you learnt about the 'resits'? is the pass rate favourable second time round or not? If you still have the email saying you failed could you paste me the bits about what I should concentrate on...I deleted it in anger stupidly!
Thanks,

FLAC

A38lephant
7th Apr 2006, 11:21
Anyone out there doing Stage 4 on 13th April? :}

captain_murray
7th Apr 2006, 12:01
anyone got phase 3 on the 18th of april?

FatboyTim
7th Apr 2006, 12:12
SMOOTHFLIER

how did u get on???

SMOOTHFLIER
7th Apr 2006, 17:34
Hey tim im pleased to say that i have been offered a place on the course, im so glad and cant wait to start. Im back in belfast now and taking the weekend to celebrate its been a long process. I hope to meet you at some stage and buy u a pint or 4 as ur a legend for the advice you gave me, it really helped.:ok:

gazathompson
7th Apr 2006, 23:11
Hi there,

I am new to all this, I am currently at about the 40hr stage through my ppl and considering applying to the CTC wings scheme. I was wondering what the weight restrictions. I am overweight, but not to bad, but what is the extremes of acceptance for someone of height 5ft 11" and how does weight affect the class 1 medical?

Also, when is it best to apply to CTC, is there ongoing stage's or is there certain dates that are advised for you to apply?

sicky
8th Apr 2006, 00:54
Reverand,

I had my phase 3 at the start of march and failed due to my frightening ignorance with regards to the aviation industry. They've said I can re-apply in 6 months (septemberish) so I'm gonna try get a job at Leeds Bradford airport after I graduate and become a plane nerd! What have you learnt about the 'resits'? is the pass rate favourable second time round or not? If you still have the email saying you failed could you paste me the bits about what I should concentrate on...I deleted it in anger stupidly!
Thanks,

FLAC

Could you give an example of why you think you were "ignorant"? I'd just like to know what sort of level of knowledge they expect you to have. Thanks

Flies-like-a-chicken
8th Apr 2006, 09:36
Well I may have read the interviewer incorrectly but when he asked about current "hot potatoes" in the aviation industry the best I could come up with was terrorism! Had I known about the pprune before my interview then obviously I would have been a bit more contemporary with my answers. They also asked leading questions about their clients and the more you know the better really.
Godspeed wannabe!
FLAC

sicky
8th Apr 2006, 17:23
To be honest i wouldn't have a clue what to say to that either, i don't even know what he means by "hot potatoes" really.

Any recommendations on what to research for these sort of questions, or where to look?

Flies-like-a-chicken
8th Apr 2006, 17:54
I would recommend you browse the other pprune forums and see what things are topical. I looked the other day and there was talk of strikes over pensions and sympathy for the pilot who landed at the wrong airfield in Ireland. It just shows you have a bit more knowledge than your typical Daily Mail reader would.

Pha02ajw
9th Apr 2006, 12:29
Can anyone tell me how the gound school is structured and also if you get a type rating??
If so is the tpye rating paid for by the sponsoring airline?

Ash

ChocksAwayUK
10th Apr 2006, 14:40
No aviation knowledge needed.
Maths test is 15 questions in 15 minutes. Simple long division and multiplication.

OK, this concerns me. Firstly when is long division ever simple?! Secondly, is there really long division - this goes against other reports I've receieved? Anyone know what's up?

Flies-like-a-chicken
10th Apr 2006, 15:17
I did the tests 2 months ago and while there is some "long division" it's nothing more taxing than you would give to a 15 year old to distract him from his Linkin Park cd. Plus it's multiple guess so there's usually only two answers that are vaguely plausible. It's really not worth worrying about!The aptitude tests on the other hand...

FLAC

FatboyTim
10th Apr 2006, 15:31
I agree

focus your attentions on the PILAPT stuff, the maths questions shouldnt really break you out in a sweat, but half an hour on them computers chasing dots and counting coloured objects etc etc, you will be a quivering dribbling wreck, slowly growing a heightened respect for everyone in the past who ran the phase 2 gauntlet!

Have fun boys and girls

Antilles
10th Apr 2006, 15:37
Not sure I agree entirely...

The ability to perform mental arithmetic and quick calculations easily is a pre-requisite - otherwise how would you work out top-of-descent points, distances to fly along arcs, fuel burn calcs... the list is endless. Aeroplanes - especially modern jet airliners - fly on numbers.

Whether you're tested on fundamentals like this or not is irrelevant, take the career seriously and if you feel you have a weakness in an area like mental arithmetic then improve it. You are going to need it at 35,000ft blasting towards Geneva at Mach 0.85 more than sitting behind a desk at CTC being tested. That's why they test you.

raviolis
10th Apr 2006, 16:57
If they were looking for people with a real brain for maths, sure the test would be more difficult. Or the same test would have to be completed in 5 minutes, not 15.
It's just a basic screening to make sure you're not a complete dafty !
So you can get to stage 3 and FAIL, like I promptly did ! LOL

Superpilot
10th Apr 2006, 17:28
I'm quite surprised with the types of responses regarding the Maths tests. I'm guessing those who reckon they're a doddle only left school/college/uni in the last 1-2 years. Long Division and Multiplication can be difficult to re-master if you're in your mid to late 20's, or even early 30's and have never bothered to do a long winded calculation on paper since school/college/uni. It took me some time to get back into it and although I have an A' Level (which is part of the problem, you forget the basics) I scraped it through the CTC test! Without knowing what to expect I wouldn't have passed.

high-flyer
10th Apr 2006, 18:06
Come on guys, if you need to revise long division and multiplication then google long division and long multiplication and you will find a plethora of useful pages devised for pre GCSE level that helped me to revise it. I have been to uni (not needed long division), i have worked at high level in engineering (not needed long division), so i needed to revise. The sites i found will have you dividing 3 digit numbers into 4 digit numbers in 20 mins guaranteed. It's not rocket science, just a simple process to follow.

And yes, you do need the ability to think with numbers when flying. Give yourselves the best shot guys, but don't worry too much about the maths paper.. the PILAPT, now thats another matter!

There will be some good people at these selection centres, give yoursleves the best chance by being as prepared as you can for every stage. When you get to stage 3, do more research than the next guy, work out your answers to the obvious questions, practice delivering them, but don't learn them. Work out where you can shine above the others and go and do well.:ok:

high-flyer

captwannabe
11th Apr 2006, 10:16
How much does it cost from 0 - fATPL with CTC?

Superpilot
11th Apr 2006, 12:11
The 'cash value' of the entire course is around £75k (inc Type Rating)

mbcxharm
11th Apr 2006, 12:19
I ended up borrowing ~£64000 from good ol' HSBC - 60 for the bond and the rest to top up on living expenses for the year (note that I got a few grand from my sponsoring airline for the same and that this was before you had to pay more for the PPL stage).

2 years on and I now owe £48000.

A38lephant
11th Apr 2006, 13:04
So with your repayments, what do you take home a month? Apologies for being nosey.

BitMoreRightRudder
11th Apr 2006, 14:48
Depends who you end up working for mate. Reckon on an average of £1,800 a month but it varies. It is certainly do-able, unless you have a drugs habit.(!)

As for the maths stuff, you only need it if you break the FMC. Moral of the story: bring a calculator to work.

Good luck to all going to selection and those about to depart for NZ, it's a good scheme, most of us look back on it with good memories.

Wing_Bound_Vortex
11th Apr 2006, 21:06
Ah the wonderful calculator.....very useful at the end of an 11 hr day when your brain just doesn't work anymore!

Too true mate

WBV

FatboyTim
11th Apr 2006, 21:41
im sure baz at BGS would have something to say about you using your "Plastic Brain" on the job!

Then again, my calculator started fading half way through my Radio Nav exam - wanted to cry!

waxytudes
12th Apr 2006, 10:13
Hi all, I've run a search for this and didn't show anything up so hopefully one of you can help. I'm just wondering whether anyone who has been through selection could tell me at what stage did CTC request references from the two named referees we all had to provide? Is when you submit online or is it after one of the later stages of selection?

Cheers if you can help.

Wing_Bound_Vortex
12th Apr 2006, 11:22
Ah Baz, total legend! Yes he would have something to say about that but as my wiz wheel has been banished from my flight bag it's the only option!

Radio nav...???? Uggh....... :ugh:

waxy, they do it at the end, after stage 4 if it's all gone well, one of the final things that gets done prior to Nz

WBV

BitMoreRightRudder
12th Apr 2006, 14:46
Baz is a good lad, but I can think of few quicker ways of losing kudos at work than pulling out the trusty whiz wheel. FMC forever!

Waxy they will also ask you if it is ok to contact your referees' before doing so - at least thats the way it used to be.

WBV I know who you are HA HA HA HA HA erm,...:} Hope it's all going well down in friendly Luton;)

Wing_Bound_Vortex
12th Apr 2006, 14:56
I bet you do old boy, few secrets around here! Yup still enjoying smacking the 73 off the wonderfully undulating runway that is luton, they're getting better though.........

WBV

Sky Wave
13th Apr 2006, 14:42
Can anyone tell me if CTC pilots enter the airlines at full FO pay or if they start on a reduced salary?

I am talking once the 6 months Line Experience Phase is complete.

Is it the same for the Cadet and ATP routes?

Cheers

SW

sicky
13th Apr 2006, 18:50
It's a reduced salary, but you are "given" an extra £1k or so a month to "pay off the loan". So basically, they take the loan out of your salary.

Sky Wave
13th Apr 2006, 19:08
I thought the £1k only went on for the 6 months of line experience. How long does it go on for?
Does the same apply to ATP students. Obviously ATP cadets don't have a loan to repay as such. More confused than ever now:confused:

jb5000
13th Apr 2006, 20:35
Right lets see if I can make some sense:

This is for the cadet scheme, and I would say the most common way of financing as well:

You take out a bond for 60,000 pounds from HSBC. This gets given to CTC. You then go through all your training and start with an airline. After 6 months line training you then start getting paid a salary by the airline. (I believe you may get £1000 a month during line training by CTC).

This is where the bond repayment starts! They repay the bond at a rate of £1,000 a month for 7 years, as this is effectively your money there is no income tax on this so this is on top of any salary that you are going to get. It works out to more than 60k to cover the interest on the loan. Easyjet starting salary is about 21k with about 4k of sector pay on top.

If you completely ignore the bond then (as long as you work for them for 7 years) you effectively get the training for free with a starting salary of 25k.

If you leave the airline before that time I believe all you have to do is continue making the 1000 a month loan repayments but you will now have to start paying it out of your net salary after the taxman has taken a half decent slice out of it.

Not sure about ATP funding tho to be honest, sorry!

sicky
14th Apr 2006, 00:57
That's the detailed version of what i was trying to say! lol.

If you are taken on through CTC, you are on a "cadet salary". I think this applies to all employees currently on an FATPL?? Once you have the hours and are appointed as a F/O, then you get the F/O salary? That would make sense, anyway!

If so, CTC (or other) cadets, would seem to be better off as their bond/loan repayments are "tax free"?

Superpilot
14th Apr 2006, 07:07
I'm not sure if the cadet salary stops once you "have the hours". Are you implying once you hit 1500 hours you then suddenly jump from cadet salary to Direct Entry salary? I was of the opinion the cadet salary (approx 5-8k less than the corresponding Direct Entry salary for each year) lasts for the duration of the loan repayment, i.e. 7 years. Simply because, after that you have nothing to lose by jumping ship and in order to keep you on they have to match your salary, where as before you were receiving an incentive by having the £1k towards loan repayment tax free and they could offer you a reduced salary.

This is why it's not a sponsorship at all, but those who get on to the scheme benefit from a training regime that is supposed to be the best. And the course still provides the best method of getting yourself a paid flying job with an airline at the end.

jb5000
14th Apr 2006, 07:36
Yep you're on the cadet salary for 7 years, however this does increase each year and if you are promoted during that time as well.

Take a look at:

http://www.easyjet.co.uk/EN/Jobs/Pilot/pilotrecruitment_cadetsponsorshipscheme.html

Scroll down a bit and it will tell you the current salaries for F/O (fATPL) - Senior F/O (ATPL) - and Captain all on the cadet scale.

ChocksAwayUK
14th Apr 2006, 07:51
Also the Thomas Cook website details Cadet salaries for years 1-7.

If anyone does know the syestem for ATP candidates some of us would be most interested - this doesn't seem to be as well publicised by CTC and it's clients.

sveno's
14th Apr 2006, 07:54
I like many others have encountered a small set back and what better place to ask for some advice. When at school I explored many other things rather than studying, and realised to late the way i was heading. After a point in the right direction i picked my self up and never looked back. I’ve just graduated with a 2:1 in physics and math’s and relieved to finally continue my dream career. However my results in English language and literature at GCSE (D) were below par. I realise that the minimum requirements state grade C to be obtained, however I have consistently proved my English ability throughout 'A' Levels and Degree?.

I would very much appreciate some of your thoughts as have found all previous posts very informative.

Many thanks :D

ChocksAwayUK
14th Apr 2006, 08:03
I was exactly the same in terms of those crucial school years.. wasn't till I left that I got more focussed.

I reckon you'll be fine Sveno's. I think the mimimum A-level grades when I applied to the Wings scheme were two Cs - I applied with a B and D, and a subsequent 2:1 in my degree and I got through to Stage 2.. so go for it!

Flies-like-a-chicken
14th Apr 2006, 08:16
Does anyone have any suggestions about the self assessment forms at the end of the group exercises in stage 3? Now I'm not one to blow my own trumpet too hard, nor am I a self loathing Goth, and I hate writing long self appraisals so am I doomed?! In the large scale of things are these forms important or just to check you're not a complete egotist? When I did my unsuccessful stage 3 I always finished first amongst my group and while I managed a few lines per question the others were writing essay style answers with methods, conclusions etc...
I have my stage 3 're-sit' in September and I'm interested to hear from those in the know.

FLAC

Superpilot
14th Apr 2006, 09:17
Are the self assessment forms a new thing? I've never heard anyone mention them before!

dogcatfish
19th Apr 2006, 13:59
Phew, read all 38 pages and still have an unanswered question!

With regard to finances, what is the position of those that have just left Uni? The idea of a student loan to pay off, and then chuck a 65k+ debt on top of that sounds a tad concerning! Should be possible, and hasn't put me off applying.

On a more selection related topic, how do they view experience that has been gained on Flight Sims? While it can make you look like a computer :8, and is in some respects very different from life, the modern versions are in fact scarily true-to-life, and I am wondering if that is something worth mentioning? Having started flying online (VATSIM for those that are familiar) where everything is as close to life as possible, and as such I have taught myself radio procedures, navigation, ATC procedures (with live controllers) and advanced flight planning. I am sure most people will have done this at some point, but do you advise mentioning it in an application?

Cheers, and what a helpful (if repetative) thread!
DCF

Pha02ajw
20th Apr 2006, 08:34
Hey, anyone attend the phase 3 yesterday (19th)

How you get on, this is so nerving waiting for an answer!! :{

Ashley

Sky Wave
20th Apr 2006, 10:00
dogcatfish

I would think not. Although I am aware that certain add-ons such as the LevelD 767, PMDG 737 & 744 and the PSS Buses are very accurate from a systems point of view and the VATSIM ATC is also very accurate I don't think it will score you any points with a selection panel, it could just make you look like a :8

You could put a very short bit in your application form as a hobby but remember they'd be more impressed by outdoor activities and team sports than they would by someone saying they sit in front of a PC for 9 hours to conduct real time transatlantic virtual flights.

All the best

SW

dogcatfish
20th Apr 2006, 12:59
:8 Thought that would be the case. Fortunately, I have other strings to my bow that are probably more important to them (and me). It's just a pity it's gonna be over 4 years before I can think of applying...

DCF

Superpilot
20th Apr 2006, 13:12
Sadly, I didn't make it past Stage 3 and am not being targetted for re-application. The interview was probably what they failed me on (guessing at this stage). I must say, even after preparing for it for over 2 weeks, anticipating all those things they were likely to ask me and making the best effort possible I still made myself sound like a boring mumbler. I know they have misunderstood me, but it's up to me to force that upon them. And I failed. Anyway, back to the ATPL books.

Flies-like-a-chicken
20th Apr 2006, 13:14
Are the self assessment forms a new thing? I've never heard anyone mention them before!

I imagine they might be... It's all the rage today to talk about oneself openly. I blame New Labour...I imagine Margret Thatcher is spinning in her grave!

gazathompson
23rd Apr 2006, 18:22
I believe Maggie is still alive and kicking so no grave to be spinning in yet...

european champion
23rd Apr 2006, 21:11
How long it takes from sending the application to be invited for stage2,3 selection?anyone knows when is the next selection?

fat_albert
23rd Apr 2006, 21:42
I sent my application in two weeks ago and have a date of 5th May for stage two. I think they have stage two selection days each Friday.

NickS
24th Apr 2006, 11:42
I submitted section 1 in October/November. Still waiting on a date for stage 2. I did say I'd only be available in October this year though.

bjkeates
24th Apr 2006, 12:32
If this is of any use, my application process went as follows:

Phase 1 - submitted application forms mid-December last year. Received a response on 3rd Jan that I had been invited to Phase 2.

Phase 2 - attended 31st Jan (although had been given the option to go on 17th Jan; however, university commitments made it easier to go on 31st.)
Received an e-mail on 2nd February telling me I was invited to Phase 3.

Phase 3 - attended 7th March. There were people there who had had a waiting time shorter than my 5 weeks. (Not that it mattered to me in the slightest - just an observation.) Received an e-mail on the afternoon of 8th March, inviting me to Phase 4.

Phase 4 - attended 16th March (although I also knew of one person from my Phase 3 who was given a date of 23rd March.) Received a phone call on the train home three hours or so later advising me I'd been accepted.

Overall, the total time for me was just under 3 months, although I do know there are people who've done it in a shorter time - sometimes you get a shorter wait time between stages. Indeed, if I'd taken the earlier Phase 2 option, it could have been quicker for me. Hope that's of use.

dllcooper
24th Apr 2006, 20:59
Could someone please do an increasingly agitated user a word of advice. I have reviewed threads but cant pinpoint acual skills required for Phase 2.

Long division
" multiplication

pythagoras?
object areas?
physics questions?

Any listings of skills tested would be of real help for me to review ready for Friday 28th.

David

dragonfly6
26th Apr 2006, 19:01
Been invited to phase 2 on the 19/05/06

anyone elso going?

got an e mial back from ctc the next day after sending in phase 1. Wasnt expecting such a quick reply.