PDA

View Full Version : The CTC Wings Scheme thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

neil209
11th Jul 2005, 19:04
Hi all, just booked stage 2 on the 9th august. is anyone else going down then? if so where are you staying? I booked into the Stour Villa, I got a cancellation so I presume its now full, I was wanting however to stay ina hotel with other candidates and have a crack the night before instead of crapping myself in my room :yuk: cheers

neil

FlyingGal2609
12th Jul 2005, 16:09
Hi Neil,

I'm going to the stage 2 selection day on 9th August - just booked it today, i am really nervous already!

I'm staying at Druid House, they seemed nice when i phoned up.

Do you know what to expect on the 9th? I'm dreading it, i've bought loads of books on aptitude tesing and numerical reason but i have a feeling it isn't going to be useful!

Katie x:D

dream to reality
13th Jul 2005, 23:24
geezajob, sach and anyone else who was there on tue,

first things first, geezajob, well done mate, THAT WAS NOT EASY!
Sach, thanks for giving me and geezajob a lift in the morning and commiserations for not passing, I know how you must have felt!:{

when I got that dreaded e-mail, the first thing that popped into my head was: you're not good enough, you can never do it. So I thought **** it all, and I went out and got absolutely Pi**ed.

When I got home, as I was lying in my bed in my drunken state, I saw an ant trying to carry a fly twice its size up the wall and out of the window, he got half way up the wall and then fell, he went down, stumbled around for about 2 minutes, found the fly again and tried to get it up the wall once more, this went on and on and on. I counted how many times he tried: 33 times, (I am a bit sad, huh?) I thought my god, if an ant is that persistent...

geezajob, thanks for your text, give us a call whenever you are down from Edinburgh, or if you want to find your way to London LOL!:D

geezajob
14th Jul 2005, 00:01
Thanks Dream, very chuffed to get through obviously. Was sorry to hear about you, Danny and Sach, thanks for the lift. And Danny thanks for the lift to Guilford - a great help! All is not lost, there are other avenues and I might yet join you phase3 is still a long way to go.

For anyone going to phase 2 in the future, just try and relax. Easier said then done but everone there with me seemed really sound and the ctc folk are all really nice and put you at ease all that.

Anyone coming from Scotland, I'd recommend Ryanair, Prestwick to Bournemouth the day before and Flybe Southampton to Glasgow/Edinburgh at about 2000 on the night of phase 2. Book at least 2 weeks in advance though as prices go up if you don't. I didn't but had a night in London with my brothers earning a frightful hangover! But then its 30 odd quid to get back to Bournemouth on the train. And 20p just to go to the toilet in London train stations!

One word of caution: I put myself down for a cheese and onion sandwhich amd got cheese and onion crisps aswell so it wouldn't have too nice sitting near me in the afternoon!

Good luck to everyone!

Sorry Dream if I sent my previous attempt to reply to this as a PM by mistake. If not its just my internet playing up again. Its not the best!

p.s My phase 3 is on the 03/08 so if anyone out there is coming down then it would be good to hear from you.

Blinkz
14th Jul 2005, 00:31
I've got my stage 3 on 3rd August. Gimmi a PM and we can have a chat :)

neil209
14th Jul 2005, 15:19
Katie check ur PM

speros
18th Jul 2005, 12:51
Hi,
Firstly would like to thank all who have posted here as it has been a great help for me so far. I have my stage 2 on the 2nd of august and was wondering if anyone else did, would be good to hear from you.

pillowcase
19th Jul 2005, 03:06
Hello,

I understand there is a personalilty test to get through for the CTC process. What kind of personality are they seeking, analytical/deep thinker/spontaneous or well organised/plan ahead/ instinctive?

I also have some concerns regarding the very first stage of CTC. I understand their academic requirements are quite low, 5 GCSEs and 2 A levels so most that apply i am thinking, exceed these quite considerably. Will they cut people if they have made the minimum but don't exceed it like most others?

For those that got through the initial very first application stage, would you consider yourself to have the following,

1) Strong academic background.
2) Hold solid well respected jobs.
3) Can demonstrate success in extra curicular activities.
4) Generally successful and above average.

Also, during the CTC process, is there a stage where you have to deliver a presentation?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Timeout
19th Jul 2005, 08:47
Pillowcase,

Once you have achieved the minimum education standard I doubt very much that it would affect your application in anyway.

Very briefly in reply to your questions :

1. Not really, I only got a 2.2 in my degree and there are plenty of guys out in NZ with no university qualifications.

2. No, I never held a respected job before CTC.

3. Yes.

4. Not really.

5. No, you will not have to give a presentation during selection.

In summary I wouldn't worry about it. Answer the questions truthfully, and get prepared for stage 2. I would recommend getting a book such as, "How to pass atiptude tests." There is plenty of detail with regard to what to expect during selection on the CTC website and this PPrune thread.

The CTC course is a good laugh, and I've enjoyed it, so stick with application.

Good luck

Timeout

pillowcase
19th Jul 2005, 09:41
Timeout,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I shall give CTC a try and your comments have given me greater encouragement.

Hope all goes well with your training and with your future!!

rse
19th Jul 2005, 12:06
Geezajob & blinkz,

Am a newbie to posting but not pprune and will also be doing Phase 3 03/08 - whereabouts are you guys staying?

Cheers.

Blinkz
19th Jul 2005, 12:27
Hey mate,
Avon Causeway probably, I stayed there for stage 2 and they were fine, right next door to CTC!

Simon_Sez
19th Jul 2005, 13:09
Hello all,

Started this topic quite awhile back when I was going through the process of applying to CTC. Unfortunately, Stage 3 was my lot and I was resigned to the fact that I would not become an "orange FO" anytime soon...not through the Wings scheme anyway!

However, hours and hours of research, bank meetings, visits to FTO's and even 6 months in full-time employment have come and gone and I am now a PPL holder and a few short months away from sitting Module 1 of the ATPL's with Bristol Groundschool.
I started down the modular route with The Pilot Training College of Ireland in January this year, giving myself 18 months 0-fATPL and am pleased to say I am still on course for that target.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that of not getting too down about being rejected by CTC. It is a fantastic course, providing superb opportunities for the wannabe airline pilot, but there are other ways of succeeding!

Good luck to everyone currently applying, relax, BE YOURSELF and enjoy every minute. You'll meet some great people along the way.

Regards,

Simon.

geezajob
19th Jul 2005, 13:46
rse, I stayed at the avon causeway for phase 2 aswell and will probably do the same again. nice enough rooms and really close to CTC.

Caracul
19th Jul 2005, 17:47
Timeout - sheesh!!! you got a 2.2? What went wrong? And CTC still took you?

There you go boys and girls - must have been the sparkling personality.

Then again, I got a 2.2 as well. Must have been the bribe!

busz
19th Jul 2005, 22:01
And they took me without even getting a degree! You'll have to use your imagination to guess what i had to do to pass the selection! :E

Weeman

renright
21st Jul 2005, 11:00
Hi All,

I've got phase2 on the 16th of august and looking into staying at Avon Causeway anyone else heading to phase2 on that day??

If so where are you staying?

thanks,

Roy

Brasher
21st Jul 2005, 12:05
busz - I don't want to know but I can imagine!

rob83
22nd Jul 2005, 14:11
Hey Roy,

I've also got stage 2 on the 16th August (Just about to book it), unfortunately, can't advise on where to stay around there as I'm gonna travel the same day - only live about 2 hours away.

I can help on finding CTC Aviation if anyone needs directions 'cause I've just finished at Bournemouth Uni and have so far done all my flying lessons at Bmth Int Airport, so know it quite well.

Looking forward to meeting you and all the others.

Rob

rse
22nd Jul 2005, 15:06
Ok, geezajob and blinkz, it's booked. See you there I hope! When did you guys do Phase 2? Just wondering how many made it from my group.

To all the up and coming Phase 2s, don't panic - they put you at your ease really well. In fact my group bonded pretty instantly - probably something to do with all being so apprehensive.

rse.

geezajob
23rd Jul 2005, 16:48
rse,

Ahoy! I did my stage 2 on the 12th July. Was in the red group. The less bald of the 2 bald guys!

When were you there?

Give me a PM if you want to get my email or anything before hand.

see you on the 2nd

FatboyTim
24th Jul 2005, 13:28
If it makes u feel better weeman, I got in after not going to uni and working several DEAD END jobs including night shift in one of the worst petrol stations in Manchester, and a 2 year stint as a shuttle driver! The public service industry sucks eh? Who would even think about joining it! ;)

Moral of the story ladies and gents, its not what you have on paper that makes you who u are. People here have come from a huge range of backgrounds, some guys had awesome well-paid jobs, some like myself had crappy jobs! The number of zeroes on the end of your last paycheck doesnt appear to determine your place on the course!

In addition to showing a certain capacity for learning (trust me it comes in handy for the ATPLs!) Personality, teamwork, the ability to get on well with others and a general positive spirit are often essential yet overlooked qualities for someone who wants to make it into the industry!

I can only assume that the minimum qualification requirements are a generic filter, a simple yes / no situation in which you either have the grades or not, if you have passed stage 1 with close to the minimum requirements, this doesnt put you at any disadvantage later in the selection process.

alknibbs
25th Jul 2005, 12:36
Hi there,

I'm very interested in the CTC Wings Scheme but just wanted to get some feeback from you people who are on the course or have been on the course. Basically can you tell me what are the positives and negatives of this course.

Regards

Al.

etops1
25th Jul 2005, 17:31
Do you know what they expect from you at phase two?
Heard it was maths and stuff like that??

geezajob
25th Jul 2005, 22:19
etops1,

they expect maths and chat and apptitude. everything you need to know is in the previous 18 pages of this thread.

feel free to pm me or you can read the info here

neil209
26th Jul 2005, 10:16
Anyone going down on August 9th for their stage 2?? PM me, would be good to meet up night before

Chitty's Leader
26th Jul 2005, 15:59
Hello all!

I was just wondering how long it took for those that have gone through the process to find out if you were successful or not at Stage 3???

The days are now gone when you found out at the end of the day!!!

Thank you!

avianca
29th Jul 2005, 18:02
Just out of curiosity,

If you failed Stage 3 the first time and they say on their feedback that you can come back down again for a re-try in 6 months, do you contact them or do they contact you?

Thanks,

20VT
30th Jul 2005, 12:12
good question, I failed stage 2 around 7 months ago but they said I was close to their parameters for selection - therefore I would be invited back for another go in 6 months. However I haven't heard anything as yet.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone failed stage 2 and got through the whole process on their second attempt?

neil209
30th Jul 2005, 20:41
Hi Everyone, Need to know accurately what time does stage 2 finish? Im planning to fly back to Manchester from Southampton. Mary from CTC said around 1545 but just wondering what time people who actually done it had finished. Quick reply much appreciated!! Cheers

BitMoreRightRudder
31st Jul 2005, 10:07
20VT

I got knocked back at stage two and wasn't told anything about re-application so I gave up on it and got on with my back up plan. Six months later out of the blue I got a call offering a chance to have another crack at the pilapt. Ummed and ahhed about it - another hundred and sixty whatever quid etc - but decided to have another bash. Two weeks after getting the call back I was quitting my old job and packing for NZ. That was a while ago, I'm getting my hands on a Boeing 737 shortly.

If they haven't called you - call them. Things can change pretty fast in this game!

Good Luck

20VT
31st Jul 2005, 18:09
BitMoreRightRudder,

Thanks for that - amazing story, well done! Will contact CTC asap to find out the score.

Cheers,

20VT

Moffman
1st Aug 2005, 10:32
Just wondering if anyone will be attending phase 4 on the 11th??

Cheers

ask26
1st Aug 2005, 10:53
Is anyone going to the Stage 3 interview on Wed 10 Aug and would like to share a room somewhere in Christchurch as £40/night is a bit pricey. Thanks.

neil209
2nd Aug 2005, 15:18
Could anyone describe how to get back to Bournemouth after the day finishes at CTC? How far is CTC from the actual airport terminal? I need to basically jump in a taxi as soon as the day ends and need to know how long its gonna take to reachthe airport taxis? Thanks for any info

jb5000
2nd Aug 2005, 15:24
I wouldn't worry too much you can grab a taxi straight from the CTC building.

Brasher
3rd Aug 2005, 13:46
ask26,

Stour Villa is a good bet as it offers really good value for money at £25 per night. The website is www.stourvilla.co.uk I think. The number is 01202 483379

Hope this helps.

Blinkz
4th Aug 2005, 14:20
woohoo! just found out that I passed my stage 3 yesturday. Hope everyone else there yesterday does well too, your all a great bunch of guys and I'd happily fly with any of you.

anyone got some recent information on stage 4? I've got mine next week at bournemouth again, so I guess its on the kingair and not the 737 (doh!:} ) Any advice welcome!

moffman, check your PMs.

neil209
4th Aug 2005, 18:59
Stage2
Can anyone PM me some recent info about Stage 2 please. Was just wanting some more info on the group discussion topics and length, also are the tests the PILAPT ones www.pilapt.com? What time does teh day finish? Thanks for your help

neil209
7th Aug 2005, 12:57
Anybody stage 2 this tuesday??

DrRedHead
9th Aug 2005, 18:49
i have still got ampther year of school left before i can even apply, so would you guys have any suggestions on things to take up which may give me that little bit of extra kick, i currently and starting my ppl 7hrs down at teesside (durham teesvalley) with St georges flying school. i mean from what im hearing its like SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard to get in but i am willing to put in the extra work.

ive read through all da posts 1hr :p bt i think its worth it

HAHA
10th Aug 2005, 01:41
Learning to write would be a good start. Yes it's hard, no it's not impossible but you must prepare yourself as well as you possibly can. Doing a few hours is a great start. Lots of extra-curricular activities to talk about in the interview is desireable. If you've still got a bit of time to go before you will apply for the scheme then get started now. They want examples of leadership, teamwork and personal betterment.

Good luck with the process.
H

gliding777
10th Aug 2005, 05:51
HAHA,

Solid advice there, can't agree more with what you have said.

DrRH,

You will, in addition to the above, need to demonstrate some motivation to a flying career. It might be you have a PPL, or were in the UAS, have family connections etc etc.

And yes, part of the selection process requires you to hand-write paragraphed responses to questions, they are testing your ability to use logical, coherent and correct English here.

Good luck!

chocky
11th Aug 2005, 14:42
I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what sort of questinos they ask in the interview for CTC. Any questions to try and catch you out or just a straight forward interview? Cheers

Caracul
12th Aug 2005, 12:31
No trick questions, they are just trying at ascertain your commitment and enthusiasm. Just be your self, and be truthful, and try and enjoy the opportunity.

It won't be an hour long grilling of the entire easyjet fleet, and what type of coffee they serve. More a chat about you. What you enjoy doing, and what you are like.

Technical stuff can be taught. Personality cannot (although I've heard brainwashing can help ;) ).

kennywch
15th Aug 2005, 19:39
Is anyone is having phase 2 on 30th August? I would like to share accommodation!!!

FatboyTim
16th Aug 2005, 11:11
Shacking up with fellow applicants eh? kinky devil!

DJ711
16th Aug 2005, 14:31
Can someone give me an indication of the timescales involved in the CTC programme:-

1. From submitting an application to Acceptance/ Rejection
2. From successful application to Stage 1 interview
3. From successful application to to starting training
4. And finally how long before going to NZ.

Just a rough guide would be great.
Thks for the help. :D :D

Pilot Ginj
16th Aug 2005, 21:25
Tim,

your just jealous because you didnt think of that...no abusing your position now your back in blighty!!

Cheers

Ginj

Ice Magna
17th Aug 2005, 08:44
Hi All
Can anybody give me the latest information on CTC stage two. The breakdown of the events etc.
I will be very grateful.

Thank you

:ok:

MX16
18th Aug 2005, 17:52
I went down to Bournemouth back in July for Stage 3 but unfortunately I didn't make it through to Stage 4. However, I have been invited back to re-sit Stage 3 at the end of the year!! CTC have provided me with some detailed feedback of my performance at Stage 3 and have pointed out an area that I need to improve upon next time around. I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me, or knows someone who has been?

davepearsall
18th Aug 2005, 22:04
Just a question about qualifications.

I know that you need 2 A levels a grade C or above

or

a honours degree at 2:2 or above.

Basically I have 3 A levels, but at grades C,D and E (so only one at C or above)

And I am doing Environmental Science at uni now which I am pretty confident I will achieve at least a 2:2 in but this is a BSc.

Basically I would like to know if anyone knows how flexible they are with these qualifications.

Thanks in advance!

Ice Magna
19th Aug 2005, 09:10
Hi davepearsall

You should call Jo Ward (02380877601) and ask her as you will get the very fresh info with no doubts.

Good luck

Ice

AMiller
19th Aug 2005, 10:40
MX16

check your pm's

andy

davepearsall
21st Aug 2005, 13:09
After reading through all 21 pages of this thread I have gained a hell of a lot of knowledge about the CTC scheme.

Got one more year of uni and then am planning to become a RAMP operative at birmingham airport for a while. This will help me raise the money to go travelling and see some of the worlds finest places.

After this I am definately planning on filling in the application form for the scheme!

Do you think that me gone off seeing the world would be an advantage? Or would they see it as "He's had his fun now has to finally do a REAL job and has just picked this"?

I guess working in an airport would show that I am interested in the industry!

If you pass the application and they invite you down for stage 2 do they give you a date to come down. From what I have read on here it sounds like you have to book a date to come down so does that mean you can choose from certain dates?

gareth08
22nd Aug 2005, 03:30
Fatboy Tim, shouldn't you be studying for those exams instead of mascarading on the internet - you slacker. You'll go blind if you dont stop looking up that stuff :ok: :E

Good luck by the way

super_starmix
23rd Aug 2005, 08:29
Hey guys,
There seems to be loads on here about phases 2 and 3 but not much in the way of info about the sim pahse. Can anyone give me any tips about the final phase? What actually goes on in the sim? And do you get to play captain for the day in the left hand seat? Any advice would be very welcome!
cheers guys,
super_starmix

Moffman
23rd Aug 2005, 09:43
Starmix

i did phase 4 a couple of weeks ago on the sexy 737 down in southampton..was great fun..basically involves t/o..staright and level..steep turns..and a ils to land...while at the sa,me time being asked some maths questions just to really make you sweat!!The trick is to relax and just try and enjoy it..it pays off as im heading off to nz in a couple weeks!

Moffman

super_starmix
23rd Aug 2005, 13:41
cheers for the advice moffman, well done on getting through! I read that phase 4 can also be held at Bournemouth? Am I correct in thinking that if it's held at Southhampton it's the 737 and if it's at Bournemouth it's the kingair?

Ummer
23rd Aug 2005, 17:46
hello there everyone was just wandering if there were any phase 2 people out there going on the 30 Aug
thanks

Caracul
24th Aug 2005, 09:34
Just a bit more information on the Simulator phase. Its mainly looked at as a bit of fun by most people. Having said that, you can still fail, so if you get through stage 3, dont drink too heavily before stage 4 ;) .

Obviously people will get through stage 3 with varying levels of expertise, and so the Sim is based at roughly your level (so if you havent even flown before, dont worry too much about how to approach an ILS etc, it will all be explained).

Basically the instructors at looking at how you cope with a bit of pressure in an environment you will find yourself in. Can you cope, and more importantly if you can, can you show improvement. Once you get there... Enjoy it. And Good Luck.

;)

foxromeo9481
1st Sep 2005, 19:08
Hi Guys,

Anyone going for Stage 3 on 7th Sept?

FR

Matt W
4th Sep 2005, 13:07
Hello All,

This is my first time on Pprune and I've just finished reading the last 21 pages.

Thanks to everyone for all the information on here, some really good stuff.

Anyone going to Stage 2 on the 20th Sep?

Cheers

Matt

speros
5th Sep 2005, 09:51
Yes, i will be at stage 3 on the 7th of september, ive been reading through my life history to see what ive done and wondering if it is any use, at least its vaguely interesting reading i suppose. I will be staying at the Fishermans Haunt the night before, just incase anyone else is. See you there.

joesto
6th Sep 2005, 22:51
hey Mat W :-)

joe here, yeh i am going down on 20th September too, looking forward to it but worried at the same time, PM if u want, if not i will see you down there mate, good luck.

Joe

hi Mat W, im going down to stage 2 on the 20th sep also.

Should see you down there hopefully, check your e-mails.

good luck for 20th

Joe

Ad!!!
8th Sep 2005, 11:39
Hi,

I'm on the 20th september selection day too, and because of this thread i feel semi-prepared but i'm still really nervous. Lots of really good advice here but if anyone has any more usefull info it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and good luck Matt and Joesto.

foxromeo9481
8th Sep 2005, 11:53
Hey Guys,

Just found out i made it through Stage 3 - am so happy!

Right - I'm off to the airport now for my hols. Hope everyone else that was there yesterday got good news today too!

Best of Luck.

FR :ok:

EGTC
8th Sep 2005, 12:26
Hi,

I'm going to Stage 2 on the 20th also. Good luck to everyone else going on the 20th.

See you there

PAJ
13th Sep 2005, 14:42
Hi everyone,
First post coming up here....
Im about to start my final year at uni and have been assessing the industry, FTO's and preparing myself with further flight experience to better prepare myself for future selection. I am very interested in the CTC scheme...although I have been given mixed reviews. Some were excellent, praising the amount of airtime you get and the facilities but a few general concerns are along the lines of the ground school quality. I understand this course is not fully integrated with 800 classroom hrs like other schemes on offer, and this is fine in itself, but a training captain I know said his very high profile airline would not recruit from CTC because it is not integrated and that his personal view was that there was a lot of very clever marketing for a scheme that claims to offer more than it actually does. Other pilots I know have also voiced some concern over the lack of support structure available to students while studying for their ATPL ground exams. I don't know whether I have just been taken in by the marketing but I can't help but think this scheme potentially could offer more than most other schemes, established integrated included. CTC told me that the students generally form study-groups to work together for their ground exams and have an excellent first time pass rate. Anyone's input would be much appreciated!
Selection sounds incredibly tough...sounds like a fair few get through to selection where they take over £160 from you but from there it seems you have to be fairly special to go further. I'd like to think I might have what it takes...OAT offered me a place on APP a few weeks ago so at this stage that is a 'Plan B', as many have recommended is good to have.
I would be very grateful for anyone's info, experiences, opinions etc.
Thanks

geturwingover
13th Sep 2005, 23:48
Hmmm.....personally I would much prefer to be taught my ATPL's by a specialied groundschool that boasts the most successful pass rates in Europe, rather than have lots of classroom time on an integrated course that doesn't help you as much.

I would be interested to hear who teaches the groundschool at OAT, I would guess it is local instructors, in which case the quality of teaching would not be top notch anyway. It's easy to compare course stats for how much lesson time etc, I would look at the results because thats what matters!! Course averages for CTC cadets are usually around 90% :oh:

CTC are meant to be going integrated, I hope for the cadets sake they keep using Bristol groundschool they are the dogs :mad: when it comes to getting through ATPLs :ok:

As for your training captain friend, I would ask him to sit some mock ATPL exams and see how well he does, then ask him again how important differences in teaching ATPLs are in being a senior captain ;) would also be interested in what airline that was :rolleyes:

gliding777
14th Sep 2005, 14:36
Although I only have experience of BGS, I can say the notes are great, there is a support network available back to the UK and the brush-ups and feedback are top notch. Alex and co got me and the rest of my course through first time, our average was something like 92%. Didn't bother me that there was no full-time teaching, would rather crack on with the flying like we did!

wannabe7
15th Sep 2005, 10:39
Well, from what I understand, part of the CTC selection process is to make sure they select cadets who are accademicaly capable of learning the ATPL stuff on their own whilst doing the flying at the same time out in NZ. Bristol Ground School is then used as an intensive revision course just before the exams.

As already mentioned, there is online support from Bristol from the moment the cadets start the NZ phase, so any questions/problems can be solved through that. As for CTC Wings pass rates, since the 1st course there has been a 1st time pass rate of 98.6% with course averages for all the exams around the 92% mark.

As regards the integrated thing, I believe that the Wings course is soon to become integrated.

Hope this helps.

W7

Gingerbread Man
15th Sep 2005, 11:02
Hello, i've just read through the thread and the volume of information and advice given is superb - nice work everyone! :ok:

I do have a few queries that didn't seem to be covered though, if someone wouldn't mind indulging my curiousity.

Firstly, i went through RAF selection at Cranwell in 2002 and passed the aptitude tests for aircrew and apparently did very well in the interview. I was eventually chopped at the medical because I was too tall for an ejection seat, but I don't foresee that being an issue on an airliner :p . I was wondering how well that experience would have prepared me for the CTC selection, if anyone has been through both and can comment.

Secondly, I am currently at university studying aerospace engineering (how many times have you heard that before from a pilot wanabe :zzz: ) and have just completed my PPL (not related to the course). I wondered if you can apply to CTC whilst at uni, or whether you have to be in a position to join them when you apply. The latter makes sense, but I thought there was no harm in checking. With regard to my PPL, I have heard that it is wise to keep your flying hours to a minimum to avoid gathering bad habits - is this a view that is shared here?

Thanks for any information.

Cheers

Ginger ;)

rse
15th Sep 2005, 12:15
Ginger re: the raf. Did OASC for VIth form scholarship, UAS and then after graduating - it is very useful. The processes are not identical and look for different qualities in a potential pilot but I would definitely say it helped me get beyond phase 4. Nobody else is going to give you such exposure to the professional flying lifestyle for free.

RSE.

davepearsall
15th Sep 2005, 16:37
I contacted CTC regarding applying while still at university.

I got a phone call from a lady (can't remember her name now) but she said you could to the first phase (application) and then if you are lucky enough to get through to the 2nd phase you can then put a freeze on the process and then inform CTC when you are then ready to be invited to phase 2.

I'm just going into my final year at uni but am going to first of all work at the airport (hopefully as ramp operative) and then go and do all my sorta student travelling seeing thw world business then am going to apply for either CTC or OAT.

Best of luck

Gingerbread Man
15th Sep 2005, 20:14
Fair enough, thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I think i'll go and get my class 1 before I devote any more energy to this dream - just in case ;) .

Cheers

Ginger :cool:

davepearsall
18th Sep 2005, 13:30
In regards to the JAR-FCL class 1 medical certificate needed for CTC and OAT.

Where can these certificates be issued?

wannabe7
18th Sep 2005, 21:35
Class 1 medicals are done at the CCA place at Gatwick.

The link is www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527

W7

davepearsall
19th Sep 2005, 09:42
ouch £337 :uhoh:

Vee One...Rotate
19th Sep 2005, 16:48
Used to be £400 plus a bit! Must have come down...

V1R :(

FliegerTiger
19th Sep 2005, 18:35
They've stopped doing the EEG now, hence the drop in price.

5 Day Rule
20th Sep 2005, 09:31
Hi All,

am off to sunny Bournemouth for stage 2 on the 4th Oct. Staying at Druid House, if anyone in the same boat fancies meeting for drinkies (coke of course) give me a shout.:)

py2rkcw
21st Sep 2005, 13:27
Im also going down on the 4th oct. Not sure where I'm staying yet though...

Stedders
22nd Sep 2005, 14:28
Hi,

I too am going down for the 4th October and are booked in to Druid House. Not sure what time I'm going to be able to get down there for but would be good to meet for a drink on the Monday evening.

Stedders

foxromeo9481
23rd Sep 2005, 10:12
Anyone going for Stage 4 on the 29th ??

rob_mitch1
23rd Sep 2005, 12:06
Hi all,

I have not yet applied to the scheme but have a question for guys who have completed the course or are currently in New Zealand.

What I need to know is what potential is there to take up some part time work whilst away? i'm really serious about doing this but have a wife, two kids and bills to pay and i'm worried this may be an impossibility if i can't keep some money coming in!

Cheers all, Rob.

5 Day Rule
28th Sep 2005, 14:49
py2, stedders, check your pm's.

Mark 3:16
28th Sep 2005, 20:13
Hi all,

Very first post on PPrune. Apologies if this has been covered previously, but it proved tough to get through all 17 pages of this thread.

Just got through to Phase 3 on the 19th October. Can anyone offer any hints as to how to get through?!

Cheers

Mark

rse
29th Sep 2005, 08:31
Mark,

Be yourself, don't fail to prepare, make friends quickly with your buddies that passed at Stage 2 and the night before; and think 'I can, I am, I will'...all worked for me. Good luck.

Rse

29th Sep 2005, 22:48
Cheers mate - I 'winged' phase 2*, so I'll do the same again. I want it badly enough, and I'll make sure this comes through.

Cheers
Mark

*Clearly no pun intended in any part of this post.

AMiller
30th Sep 2005, 01:32
Mark 3.16

your a cocky little lad aren;t you? My advice for the next stage is to shed that attitude. Lets hope that you edit your post before the selectors see it. Wont be hard for a bit of detective work will it?

Andy

Moffman
30th Sep 2005, 07:51
MARK 3:16...

Was just about to offer you some advice on your upcoming stage 3..but having read your read your last post..i dont think i need to!!Sounds to me that you that you are already a bit of a sky god..and the rest of the applicants are mear hopefulls!!

How foolish...best hope the selectors dont have a look on this thread for a while!

30th Sep 2005, 15:09
Now now lads. No need to be harsh.

I wasn't insinuating that my winging it would mean any further progress. It's all about positive thinking. Certainly won't be cocky - that's not me. It's a fine line between confidence - which I think I'm entitiled to - and cockiness.

If I'm good enough I'll get through. If I'm not I won't. I'll be giving it everything.

God help me. :O

Cheers
Mark

Should have added - any advice greatly appreciated, whether you think I am cocky sod or not! ;)

Cheers

paul2282
30th Sep 2005, 17:35
Hey
Anyone from the phase 2 day on 20th september going for there phase 3 on 5th october. Where you staying?

Paul

scallaghan
1st Oct 2005, 11:31
Hi

I am doing the stage 2 part shortly in a few weeks.

Reading from the website I know you have to do tests.

Does anyone have a chat with you at the stage 2 phase?

Reason I ask is that I have a JAA PPL, almost 150 hours with my CPL C/C complete and almost 30 hours on Complex singles.

Also about to do a brush up course with Bristol in a few weeks for Mod 1. That may change, depending on stage 2.

Cheers

Sean

Forgot to ask, what were the tests like?

Where they computerised and what were the maths questions like....

chocky
3rd Oct 2005, 12:39
Hi there,
Yeh you will have a talk about CTC in general at which point you're able to ask questions and I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunity to discuss any concerns whilst you're there. Somewhere near the beginning of this thread a website is mentioned which shows still images of some of the computer based aptitude tests. The maths is all mental maths so get working on your timetables!

Chocky

Hangar On
4th Oct 2005, 10:05
Hi.

I'm going down for phase 3 on the 19th October. I'm planning on staying in Stour Villa.
If anyone else is going on this date then please send me a private message - i think it would be really usefull to meet up the night before.

Regards

Simone Banfield
4th Oct 2005, 22:55
Wondering if anyone can give me some insight into my situation.
If have just found out about the CTC course and am apply now but I have already done my training in New Zealand. I live here and am hoping to move to UK and do the conversion etc there.

I am about 5 weeks away form getting a NZ CPL and wonder if there is much hope in getting looked at having already done my training.

Any ideas??

Simone

Matt W
7th Oct 2005, 09:51
Hi There,

I'm going for Stage 4 on the 27 Oct, If anybody here is booked in on that date drop me a message so we can meet up.

If anyone from Stage 3 on the 05th reads this, send me a PM a let me know how you got on.

Cheers

Matt

hoody_mcboob
8th Oct 2005, 21:12
Hi,

I have Stage 3 coming up soon and was digging back through this thread and found that kent uni have a web page with the interview questions on. However you have to now be a kent uni student to access the page, is anyone at kent uni and could pass on the info, or does anyone have it allready that they could share?

Cheers

Hoody

chocky
9th Oct 2005, 08:58
Hoody,
I don't know about that kent uni web site but noone's going to be able to tell you exactly what questions are going to come up in the interview. As long as you have prepared yourself fully you'll be fine. Each interview will be tailored to the individual though so you're not going find the questions anywhere.
Chocky

Take-Off05
10th Oct 2005, 08:56
Hey friends

need some help.

how about foreigners in the ctc sponsorship? i read an entry that there are some... but my question is:

# do u have a chance to be invited if u have done ur a-level exams in an eu-state, like germany?

# is here anyone from germany or another state who is interested in ctc program? or have already seen stage 2?

# are university degrees necessary to pass the stages successfully? i saw a homepage about ctc-sponsorship pilots....and it seems that most of them have an university degree like bachelor or masters...

ok thanx in andvance...and sorry for my english :8

ready for take-off

wannabe7
10th Oct 2005, 10:57
rumour has it, there is a German guy out in New Zealand at the moment...

busz
10th Oct 2005, 14:30
It's true......... nice fellow he is too

Take-Off05
10th Oct 2005, 17:33
ok...thanx for the info...

hey BUSZ...

could u ask him where he has done his a-level? has he an english one or a german?

and u seems to be already a student of the ctc-course....is it right that the majority has already reached some university degrees?

bye

@ all

is here anyone who has aplied with a non-english a-level and no degrees? did u get a chance?

cparker
11th Oct 2005, 06:27
wannabe7, i;m here in NZ and yes he is a nice guy.

Next question

wannabe7
11th Oct 2005, 06:45
I know him too, I was joking! Very nice guy.

11th Oct 2005, 12:57
just wondering how long it takes from the day you apply to the day you are accepted?

Have applied and sent my phase 1 and 1a, so long will it take until I know about phase 2

alfredo sauce
12th Oct 2005, 02:57
Hi all!

This is my first post on pprune so I'm sorry if this question was already asked before, but are there any suggestions on preparing for the tests that will be encountered during the phases.

Thank you

My Altitude
12th Oct 2005, 03:08
Nice to see other Canadians on here!

:D

alfredo sauce
12th Oct 2005, 06:09
LOL both Canadian, both from Toronto, both registered in the same month, both checking out ctc forum. what a coincidence!!!

:D :ok:

FatboyTim
17th Oct 2005, 11:03
Theres a bit of info in the previous pages about the stages, plod through it and you will probably find some useful stuff, there is also some information on the 'CTC or Oxford' thread, but to be honest its kinda turning into a warzone over there, chances of salvaging anything out of that thread?? slim to none...enjoy

good luck with applying

(ps, for anyone interested, there are 2 german guys on the course, one in the UK and one in NZ. Both thoroughly nice guys)

WilliDeHavilland
17th Oct 2005, 23:22
Hello

I am totally new with this forum. I am an aviation enthusiast (needless to say since I'm on here) age 26 going for 27. I read about the CTC sponsorised scheme with easyJet the week before my 26th birthday, and back then it was open to under 26s. Now it seems to be open to under 30s.

Looks like lots of people on here have already been through one or more selection stages.
I have VERY limited flying experience (just a few hours on Cessna 152's) but I read that it is not required. But at the same time I read about people spending thousands of £'s even before having been selected.
What is that I'm missing ? Is it really a sponsorised scheme, or maybe I didn't read the small prints ? I know about the 60 grand cash bond but I thought the cash committment would kick in after you've actually been selected.

Also, does it really start with an online application, or will this just get lost down the drain of the world wide web, unless you phone somebody up and move your application to the top of the pile ?

I don't fear the challenge (there's nothing to lose, only to gain), and in the worse case one will fail which is acceptable - the only thing I can't afford to lose is thousands of bucks for no reason.
So will someone who's been there for longer and more focussed than me give me more insight please ?

Thanks a lot

Will

MonarchA330
18th Oct 2005, 07:42
Hi Will,

As regards spending thousands of pounds before selection, you must be thinking about people who have paid for lots of lessons themselves prior to applying. The only money you will have to spend before being accepted is about £180 for the stage 2 assesments - to cover costs of thecomputer tests or something.

This is all you will have to pay until you have been selected.

There are guys out here who had 0 hours flying before applying, so don't think you have to go spending lots of money on random flights just to get some experience.

As regards the online aplication, it is true that it is the only way you can apply, but they do get all the aplications and you will hear from them if they likfe what they see!

Good luck!

M330

woof
18th Oct 2005, 13:50
Is the selection process for the full Wings cadet scheme the same as joining it at the AQC stage (Wings ATP)?

If not, does anyone have any info / advice on the selection process for the ATP stage 2 onwards.

I only ask as the website is unclear.

Many thanks

Woof

martyfly
21st Oct 2005, 14:10
Hi all

Around June/July of this year I went to the assessment day for the Easyjet/Thomas cook sponsorship scheme through CTC, unfortunately I was unsuccessful:( and in my feedback they said that I would not be targeted for re-application, does this mean indefinitely? So now that I have been through the assessment process can I never re-apply to CTC or is there a certain time period that must lapse before I may start the application procedure from scratch?

I’ve been looking through this forum for the answers to my questions and can't find anything so any help on this matter would be very gratefully received

Many Thanks :ok:

geezajob
21st Oct 2005, 14:22
I got KB'd from CTC at phase 3 in August some time. In my feed back I was told they definetley wouldn't want to see me before I finished my degree.

It sounded like they really meant they'd never want to see me again at all but all you can do is prove them wrong.

Not exactly the same situation as yours but I remember Lee saying that most folk 2 chances at each stage. I don't which bit you failed at but I would think that you might be able to try again after a year or 2. That said they are strict at CTC which is why they're held in high regard. Basically I don't really know!

I was told to email when I've finished at uni ("..with a bloody good grade..") and we could have a chat about why I think I'm suited to it.

If they told you where you went wrong then could try and do some things over the next couple of years to rectify it and see what they say. Its sounds a long time to wait, and it is. But there's nothing to stop you applying for sponsorships in the mean time, or trying to save for oat/ccat etc. Easier said than done though!

G

M12
23rd Oct 2005, 03:36
Hi all,

Im heading down to Stage 3 on the 16th November. Just wondering if anyones heading to the same selection day, if so drop me a message if you want to hook up?

Cheers

WilliDeHavilland
24th Oct 2005, 23:11
does the fact you've got a degree really make you a better pilot of airplanes ? :-)

LOL

chris2005
25th Oct 2005, 07:38
No but they want people who are capable of achieving good ATPL results by self study as there are no ATPL lectures, only a four week brush up before the exams. Most people with degrees have the disipline to self study so i would think they see it as lower risk.

Chris

A38lephant
25th Oct 2005, 22:35
I agree with Chris 2005. Having a degree does not improve your aptitude to be a pilot but it proves (so long as you get a reasonable classification) you can absorb large amounts of information and also have the capability to self study. I did a degree with absolutely no relevance to flying but I still think it helped me pass the EZY/TCX CTC initial stage...but sadly not stage 2.
On the positive side though I have been invited for a re-trial. Just wondering if there are many (or any) out there that failed stage two the 1st time but passed 2nd time? Thanks! :ok:

super_starmix
26th Oct 2005, 09:08
A38lephant,
Hi there, I failed at stage 2 first time round and am happy to say that I was invited back for a second chance and was successful the second time round and got through the next 2 stages no problem. I know of a few others who also failed at one or more of the stages but were invited back for reselection and were successful, so it can be done! Just learn from your past mistakes and good luck!

AMiller
26th Oct 2005, 09:20
Chris 2005 is right, CTC cadets have no lessons. Its all self study. They get better results than OAT. Thats why CTC cadets are of a higher standard. Whats the pass rate onto the APP? 40%? CTC its about 2%.
I sadly did not get onto the CTC course. Would not go to OAT though due to their arrogance! FTE is much better just think of the weather!

Andy

A38lephant
26th Oct 2005, 10:20
Cheers super_starmix. Good to hear its not all doom and gloom. Although I was a little confused by my feedback. It said something along the line that maths/group discussion fine and I presented a medium to low risk for the training. However specific piloting abilities were low. It must have been some of the tests in the pilapt bit! However i'll keep on practicing sim ILS approaches and the 'fly through the hoop' approaches (its a nice excuse to play on the sim anyway) and try and improve my hand eye co-ordination.:O

chris2005
26th Oct 2005, 17:00
I think also having a degree helps at the interview stage as they ask many questions about your "life experiences" etc etc. I found I used cases from university to answer many of their questions at stage 3 which i could not draw answers from other aspect of my life. Also my degree helped me answer any technical questions that were raised.

However if you dont have a degree it does not mean you have no chance, as you may have other aspects to your life that may answer their questions - e.g. work.

For those going back - dont give up and try your hardest all over again, many people make it through at the second attempt.

Good luck all

Chris

supercruise593
27th Oct 2005, 10:14
There's also a French chap on his way out in a few weeks...

We even have cats & fish... :D

FlyNavyBoy
27th Oct 2005, 12:40
Hey Guys,

trying to get CTC to even let me into selection, (think I'm getting somewhere) but quick question, how long does it take from initial assessment to getting onto the course? and how many people do they take on at any one time?

cheers

rse
27th Oct 2005, 16:12
FNB,

Applied Apr-ish. Started going down there end of June and was done by end Aug. Holding until the new year.

Delayed my stage 2 for a bit to brush up on industry awareness etc but they fairly whisk you through the process once you start.

Don't wait too long but don't fail to prep either.

RSE.

freightdoggy
28th Oct 2005, 11:27
Hi all,

I have read most of this thread and I am reading much about the people that start this with no or little hours, but almost nothing with more hours that want to go directly to the ATP scheme.

I am actually going through selecion for that ATP scheme. I have 1000hrs now.

I am invited for the two assessment days (phase 2?) and would like to know what I can expect. Anyone that has gone through those two days and is able to tell me something about it and how to prepare?

Thanks!

SMOOTHFLIER
4th Nov 2005, 11:24
Hey guys,
attending stage 3 on nov the 23rd and was wondering if anyone knew the situation with stage 4.
Is stage 4 the next day for successful candidates at stage 3 or at a later date specified by ctc ???

Anyone who has been through stages 3 and 4 recently can you shed some light on specifics of events.

ie for 2 group exercises what were the tasks set? what can be done to prepare?

for simulator in phase 4 what is expected of people with low aviation experience.??

if anybody with recent experience could tell me would be appreciated.
cheers
smoothflier:cool:

Lord Daddy Flash
4th Nov 2005, 21:40
FlyNavyBoy - I got through stages 2-4 in about 2 weeks, then came out to NZ 3 weeks later. They take on all those that are up to standard, the groups are usually 6 or 8.

SMOOTHFLIER - sorry but the stage 3 specifics may have changed since I did it about a year ago, but for stage 4 (I had zero hours), they want to see a learning curve, i.e. see you pick the skills up and get better each time you try. Don't be afraid of stage 4, relax, it's actually quite fun!

LDF

ps SimonSez, you still about? What are you doing now?

We were on stage 3 together.

I think it was your opening line during the introductions that let you down... They slaughtered you for that.... :ok:

rod_1986
5th Nov 2005, 14:11
Anybody from stage 2 on the 1st Nov going to stage 3 on 7th Dec? Just interested to know if i'll see familiar faces...

JediDude
13th Nov 2005, 12:40
Hey folks.

I am just about to send away my form for stage 1a. Lots of useful information on this site.

Does anybody know roughly what the applicant numbers passing through each stage are?

Also when I filled in the form online I applied to 3 different schemes... CTC, Easyjet & Thomas Cook. What is the chances of being pre-selected by one of the two airlines?

I also remember somebody in this thread mentioning that it was possible to get a hold of the PILAPT software to practice with. Is this possible?

Ta

CJ

MonarchA330
13th Nov 2005, 19:48
Jedidude,

Not sure about what percentage get through this stage, but I do know that the overall acceptance rate is about 2% off all initial aplicants.

As for the airlines, once on the course I'd say there is a 99.9% chance of being selected by one of them. Obviously have to cover ones back for any hiden surprises!

M330

A38lephant
14th Nov 2005, 20:42
From what I can remember abut 40% get through to stage 2. About 15% through to stage 3 (not sure about stage 4). Final figures who get whizzed off to NZ are approx 1.5-2% of total applicants. Don't quote me on those though. :ok:

JediDude
16th Nov 2005, 06:35
Just been invited to stage 2. :D

I think I will book for the 6th December. Anybody else going on this day? Would be nice to meet up with folks the night before. Makes the group discussion that bit easier ;)

I've got a hold of practice pilot tests that are similar to the PILAPT tests although not identical. I shall be practicing these constantly until I go for my tests. Does anybody else have any other advice that hasn't been mentioned in this thread? What form do the numeracy test questions take?

Cheers Folks,

CJ

JediDude
17th Nov 2005, 06:53
Thats me booked up for the 6th December for stage 2.

I'm taking the wife down and travelling on the Sunday, making a little holiday of it :D

I'm staying at the Avon Causeway, if anybody else is attending on this day give me a PM and we can meet up.

Cheers

CJ

yellowbert
17th Nov 2005, 11:19
Hi JediDude,

I've been looking around for ages for a software package that is similar to the PILAPT tests, would you mind telling me where you managed to get it from - I've never even seen the PILAPT tests and could really do with some practice just incase I ever get invited to the tests themselves

Cheers,

JediDude
17th Nov 2005, 11:24
Hey Yellowbert,

Here (http://www.cockpitweb.com/pilottest.html) is the software that I ordered. Although not identical to the PILAPT software i think that it will be good for practice.

CJ

Jimbo & the Jet Set
18th Nov 2005, 09:12
To repeat freightdoggy's request, is there anyone who has any info on the ATP side of the scheme. The website is unclear on what those who are post CPL/IR can expect.

Any info anyone?

JediDude
19th Nov 2005, 18:26
Hi crm297

I am also attending the selection day on the 6th December and I am in the same boat as yourself having a wife and a 6-month old baby.

We have decided that if I make it through (fingers crossed :D) we will sell/rent out the house and my wife and son will move back in with her mother while I am in NZ. Harsh perhaps but I believe it is the practical solution.

There is a lot of study involved. When you're not flying you are face first in the text books. How much time do you think you will be able to devote to your partner?

Remember that this will also be a strange country for your partner and that she will have no friends to socialise with. Its only 9 months. A very short time considering what you will be gaining from the course.

In my opinion, bite the bullet and go without your partner. There is always the telephone and MSNM. I'm sure that if you are as motivated towards wanting to be a pilot as much as myself you will realise that it is really a small price to pay for a lifetime of "living the dream" ;)

Hope this helps.

CJ

MonarchA330
19th Nov 2005, 21:02
CRM297...

Check your personal messages

M330

rob152
21st Nov 2005, 10:49
Hello people,

Was reading all your interesting experiences regarding the CTC scheme and was looking for some advice. What are the chances of getting through to phase 2 with my 5 GCSE's and a HND in Aeronautical Engineering? I only ask because I cant seem to fathom what determines success to that phase and what doesn't? I mean technically I would meet their requirements so is their a good chance of passing through the application?

Cheer's everyone, appreciate any advice offered.

Rob152

Vee One...Rotate
21st Nov 2005, 15:46
rob152,

I think, in situations like this, a person can sometimes over-analyse themselves with respect to others.

It's always tempting to try and get a feel for how you shape up against the competition and ask the "What if?" questions but I think the most important thing is to just get on with it.

Be confident in yourself, your past achievements and your abilities and sell yourself to whoever's listening at the time.

Of course others can give you insight into the details of the selection but try not to get too bogged down in second-guessing the selectors is all I'm trying to say I suppose.

Just my 2p.

Best of luck!

V1R :ok:

rob152
21st Nov 2005, 21:23
V1R,
Thanks for your comments and I appreciate what your saying, its just that I will only have 5 GCSE's grade C and above (9 GCSE's in all) coupled with the HND and one or two other small qualifications that I have done part-time. I'm trying to work really hard and have done for the past 2 yrs and will do for the next 6 months when, hopefully I pass everything. I also have about 47 hours flying experience (not really alot I know, in the grand scheme of things), although I'm not sure this will really count to anything?! From looking at all the comments made I really just wanted to get a feel as to what kind of person, and what they have achieved academically, gets past the application phase? I know everyone is different know matter what their personal achievements and we can all offer different skills. I am just trying to, without actually talking to the relevant people at CTC as there is no point yet, see if my academic qualifications would suffice? I did actually speak to CTC last week who advised me to re-sit my GCSE's to bring them up to standard and I guess I'm just hoping that I'll have more of a chance of getting through the application once finished?

Regards, Rob152

MonarchA330
21st Nov 2005, 22:13
rob,
check your personal messages

M330

Epsonite
23rd Nov 2005, 12:01
Hello,

Going for stage 3 selection of the ATP scheme next week. Can anyone who's 'been there, done that' shed any light on the type of questions to expect please?

Are there any technical questions?
Are there many 'please give an example when you showed...'
Do they ask questions specific to the answers you put on the application form?

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated as not sure where to start preparing!

Many thanks

airmemphis
27th Nov 2005, 18:34
I'm sure someone has already answered this but can someone explain to me how financing works in this ctcaviation scheme if one is accepted? Is it a full sponsership deal? The explanation on their website lost me a bit.

Thanks

freightdoggy
30th Nov 2005, 08:19
Hi all,

again, or still, I'm confused. What is called stage 2, 3 and perhaps even 4 when we are talking about the ATP wings scheme?
The way I see it, stage 1 is the application form. Stage 2 is the two days of selection rounds, where the first day are aptitude tests and an interview and the second day are roleplays. Of course this could be called stage 2 and 3, if you split the two days up. The final part is then the AQC (Airline Qualification Course), which could be called staged 3 or 4 by then.

Anyone going for the selection days right now? Are you willing to tell at what date and when it was that you got a positive answer on your application? That give me an idea on what I can expect...

Answers are greatly appreciated.

Captain_Afro
30th Nov 2005, 15:35
Freight Doggie

Took a while to get past stage 1 having sent my application in back in September, but got through stage 2 a couple of weeks ago and just coming up to stage 3 (or 2b as I have seen from one of the posts!) for the Wings ATP scheme.

I understand their pool is empty at the moment, but they do have some stringent requirements.

Got to be worth a punt if you've got about 8 grand lying around looking for a home ;)

freightdoggy
30th Nov 2005, 16:49
Captain Afro,

Thanks for the reply. So right about the 8 grant... and and empty pool is good news..
Today I got the invitation by e-mail to come to the first day on 20 December. If I get through that the second day is on 5 January. Things start to roll now. I hope everything will be fine. Can you tell me what will be happening on the first day?

Good luck with phase 3 (or 2b...:rolleyes: )

T1000
30th Nov 2005, 21:08
Hello there.

FreightDoggy,
Woof

..and other comrades, a question regarding the Wings ATP stage 2 day, does anybody know whether this would be similar to the stage 2 of the Cadet Wings scheme?

I only got as far as stage 3 of the Cadet scheme back in 2003, but now heading back to Dibden Manor with a fATPL and a lighter wallet. Has anybody else done the same?

Good luck to everybody currently battling selection.
T1000

freightdoggy
1st Dec 2005, 08:08
T1000,

I don't know anything about the Cadet selection procedure I'm afraid. What I can tell you is what CTC told was going to happen in Phase 2 of the ATP scheme. I was told that the first day is a possibility to get to know the CTC staff and the rest of the candidates. To ask questions about the scheme and to do a few selection tests. This will take about half a day.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Freightdoggy

Captain_Afro
1st Dec 2005, 21:08
Freightdoggie,

1st stage involves colonic irrigation, full rectal examination and a sense of humour test javascript:smilie(';)')
wink

No seriously, first stage of the Wings ATP scheme is the application form. Stage 2 which it looks like you've been invited to involves a maths test, a general aviation knowledge test and a couple of group discussions.

Nothing too taxing but it pays to be prepared and make sure you're brain's awake on the day.

Good luck. They're a good bunch! If you have far to travel might be worth getting a room at the Manor the night before.

All the best!

The 'Fro :cool:

freightdoggy
1st Dec 2005, 21:16
'Fro,

thanks for the info. Sounds doable... I had to laugh about your first lines, so I guess the humor part is in the bag :ok:

Math, fine, aviation questions, sure.... group discussions..... eehm, better take my valium with me. I tend to be a little too quick witted in these situations;)

JediDude
2nd Dec 2005, 09:27
Right Folks,

This is a last call for all people attending stage 2 on the 6th Dec, I can't believe I'm the only one. Anbody else attending? Anybody staying at the Avon Causeway? I will be travelling down on the Sunday with the good wife so will be available if anyone wants to get together for a sociable drink and chat.

Good luck to all fellow applicants,

Chris

garyogilvie
2nd Dec 2005, 14:54
I was wondering if there was anyone else down for the Stage 2 for the CTC Wings Application on 20th Dec?
These guys seem to be moving fast as I only fax'd down my 4 questions on Wednesday 4pm and recieved a mail on Thursday morning telling me to select a date for Stage 2.
Well if anyone else is down for this then let me know, I am travelling down from Aberdeen so obviously staying Monday night in Bournemouth.

Gary

Top Gunner
4th Dec 2005, 18:59
Hi Gary,

Yep, I'm attending Stage 2 in Bournemouth on the 20th too. Feel free to PM me if you like....

Cheers
Paul

woof
5th Dec 2005, 11:21
Bournemouth?? Do you mean Southampton?

If not one of us has got ropey info.

See you there and good luck.

Top Gunner
5th Dec 2005, 12:43
Stage 2 of CTC Wings Cadets programme is definitely on the 20th in Bournemouth for me. If you're going for the same, the email you would have received asked us to send payment to Southhampton (Dibden), otherwise the day is being held in Bournemouth. If you are going for CTC Wings on the 20th, I'd just double-check where you've been asked to attend (check your booking on the site).

Cheers, and hope to see you there too...

Paul

woof
5th Dec 2005, 13:04
Ah...

I'm off on the ATP scheme.

Good luck for the wings one though.

Top Gunner
5th Dec 2005, 13:10
No worries,

Best of luck with it...

Paul

JediDude
7th Dec 2005, 19:53
Well, thats me just back from Bournemouth. Fantastic couple of days. Spent the day in Bournemouth on the Monday with the good wife, got some christmas shopping done and had a fantastic meal at the Harbour Lights restaurant.

Attended my Stage 2 selection on the Tuesday (Left the wife at the hotel with a book). Fantastic day at CTC, very informative and interesting presentation followed by the group discussion and PILAPT tests. CTC staff were fantastic and very friendly, very good at putting you at ease. Good bunch of fellow applicants whom I got on with extremely well although only one other had heard of PPRUNE but I was quick to spread the gospel ;)

I highly recommend the Avon Causeway hotel, Ruth & Keith were both very helpful and friendly.

To top off a fantastic few days I was greeted with an email from CTC on my return informing me that I had passed stage 2 :D :D :D. I am so chuffed. I have spent the last day convincing myself that I had made an arse of it.

To any of the other applicants at stage 2 on the 6th who happen to find their way here I hope you all had equally good news and I look forward to seeing you again at stage 3 on the 11th January.

I was the Scottish guy in the blue group BTW.

Chris

Rosa
9th Dec 2005, 00:09
I`ll be in B. on the 20th, too.
Feel free to pm me. ;)
Christina

pilot37
11th Dec 2005, 14:49
I've got phase 4 coming up soon - any tips on this? Anyone know the approximate pass rate? I've got around 50 hours experience.

Thanks

Lord Daddy Flash
12th Dec 2005, 01:23
Pilot 37,

Pass rate for phase 4 is high.

My only tip is the bog-standard; stay cool and show 'em what you're made of.... With 50 hours you'll be fine.

LDF

WillCoombe
12th Dec 2005, 10:44
Pass rate for phase 4 is 80%.

I to had around 50 hours and managed to get through it. Just enjoy it and try and do what the instructor asks and you'll be fine.

Will.

mikethebest22
12th Dec 2005, 12:43
hi, your all saying prepare an you'll be fine but prepare on what. is it necessary to revise a level maths and physics work or not. also my aviation knowledge is minimal,what should i know. does any1 have any information sites with evrythin i will need to know for a good knowledge base.
please reply as its like next week im going. lol
good luck

JediDude
12th Dec 2005, 13:09
No aviation knowledge needed.

Maths test is 15 questions in 15 minutes. Simple long division and multiplication.

captainbirdseye
12th Dec 2005, 14:41
jedi, check your pm's.

CBE

MX16
12th Dec 2005, 18:10
Jedidude, congratulations on passing Stage 2, I will be at Stage 3 on the 11th Jan as well. Second attempt at this stage for me after origianlly failing it back in July this year. Very thankful for the 2nd chance and looking forward to getting back down to Bournemouth. Anyone else gonna be there on the 11th Jan????

JediDude
12th Dec 2005, 19:31
Excellent news MX16. Where are you staying? I'll be staying in the Avon Causeway if you fancy getting together for a chat.

mikethebest22
13th Dec 2005, 14:51
So i fi just brush up on my basic maths then.definately no knowledge needed of Pure maths, equations, statistics or mechanics or anything like that then. what is discussed in the group discussion? also the computer absed tests, is it worth buying them of the internet to practice on similar things, or is it just natural ability
thx for previous reply jedi

JediDude
13th Dec 2005, 15:41
To be honest the tests that I bought bore little resemblence to the PILAPT tests.

Dondon
13th Dec 2005, 21:07
i bought some program too and it helped me i thought. i bought it off ebay, just type PILAPT or pilot or something and it will come up. i think there is another one for a higher price. i dont know if it changes ur innate abilities but u do certainly get a lot of practise and do better in the stage.

mikethebest22
13th Dec 2005, 22:59
ok thanks for that. what is the group discussion all about. and is there any other things that i should be aware of. should i make notes on how aspiring i am and all that stuff.
thanks, please reply

mo90
14th Dec 2005, 08:22
mike,

there is little you can do to prepare for mental arithmatic and even less for the pilapt; just make sure that you are thinking straight and on top of your game - don't worry about digging out your old maths notes or playing flight sim until the early hours.
The discussion could be on any subject(literally!) and is orientated on your ability to participate without being overbearing.
Stage 3 requires a little more preparation in the form of background research (into the company, and wings in particular)and answers for obvious questions such as why you want to do it - sounds simple but try explaining it in an interview!

all the best

MonarchA330
14th Dec 2005, 08:49
Yup, I'll agree with what 'Elvis' Mo90 said...

just make sure you are on top form for the aptitude tests i.e. get a good nights sleep before hand, have a good breakfast and arrive with plenty of time.

M330

InTheAir
14th Dec 2005, 08:59
There is now a program that comes quite close to the original tests, I won't advertise it on this thread but if you go to Yahoo (it's not on Google yet) and search for PILAPT Prep you should see it.

A while back I bought something by CockpitWeb? which was a bit pants to be honest and costs twice as much.

I recently failed Stage 2, drat! but have been asked to re-apply in 6 months. :O

MonarchA330
15th Dec 2005, 02:27
Ongoing - altough they do sometimes close the aplication process temporarily if they recieve a large number of aplications in one go.

p1lot
15th Dec 2005, 10:39
ok cheers for that. One last point then is, how long does the application process take and whats the aveage time delay between being offered a place and starting?

P1lot

1pudding1
15th Dec 2005, 10:48
This has probably been asked several times in the last 22 pages of posts but I really couldn't be bothered looking!

Wow, good attitude, hard working AND efficient, you're gonna go a long way! ;)

JediDude
15th Dec 2005, 11:30
I should've asked this at stage 2, there is no specific mention of having to sit PPL written exams on the CTC site. I assume that these must be taken. Are these sat in NZ?

trainee99
15th Dec 2005, 17:18
Yes - one a week for the first 6 weeks in NZ unless you already have a PPL in which case you're only required to sit the air law and frto exams.

mark_heg
16th Dec 2005, 15:00
Any one going for stage 2 on the 10th of jan? pm cool.

thomasa
16th Dec 2005, 15:51
Im down for Stage 2 next Tuesday (20th) so anyone feel free to PM me!

FatboyTim
20th Dec 2005, 05:23
SMOOTHFLYER

check your private messages

flugholm
20th Dec 2005, 09:23
So there's a number of ppruners having the Stage 2 session right now...
Good luck to all of you!

busz
20th Dec 2005, 11:37
Yep, just been to work and saw them all talking to Lynn in reception.

:O

FREDA
20th Dec 2005, 12:17
Busz, hope you managed to get back in time for lunch... free sarnies!

:}

busz
20th Dec 2005, 13:01
Nope, i havent been offered any yet! I think the management are scared of me meeting the new recruits and scaring them off!

mikethebest22
21st Dec 2005, 16:57
Phase 2 Result - 20th Dec
who else has received their email of pass or fail! hope everyone who i met there has done well. i passed but failed the numeracy test so i have to resit it. if anyone has any advice for stage 3 PLeeeeez PM me. would be interested to hear from others who attended on the 20th dec too!! Good Luck!

Michael Rooney ( Pink Shirt) lol

JediDude
21st Dec 2005, 17:13
Congrats :D

But did you really need to repeat exactly the same post on 3 seperate threads?

Mooney12
22nd Dec 2005, 13:26
Jedidude,

Mike needs to repeat the same post on 3 separate threads, just to make sure everybody knows he's the best!

Advice for stage three...

Go into the interview and let them know your the best... :ok:

c_jephcott
4th Jan 2006, 17:11
Ok, time to bump up this thread...

Just been selected for Stage 2 and am currently thinking of a date to go down on, out of the two that were offered.

Anybody else out there in the same position as going onto Stage 2?

Cheers

Chris

JediDude
4th Jan 2006, 18:51
Any other applicants due for stage 3 on the 11th?

I'm staying in the Avon Causeway from Tues-Fri of that week if anyone wants to get together for a chat/drink,

Cheers

Chris

european champion
4th Jan 2006, 19:41
I just looked at ctc website and from what i understand there is no writen tests or aptitude tests for those who have frozen atpl,only thing is required is to do the mcc course and then the advanced handling course and final assessment.can someone confirm this?how long would be the waiting for someone to book a place in their course?

mikethebest22
9th Jan 2006, 14:58
hey any1 been to stage 3. just wondering what the interview is all about. what sort of things they ask etc. any advice appreciated. thanks

c_jephcott
9th Jan 2006, 16:52
Ok then, I am doing my stage 2 selection on the 31st. Is anybody else going down then? Seems rather quiet about CTC at the moment! :)

FrankRiggers
10th Jan 2006, 07:47
Hi all,

Newbie here! Very informative thread so far, going to try and restrain myself from asking questions on every stage!
Just wondering whether anyone was going to Stage 2 on Tuesday 17th??

Frank

super_starmix
11th Jan 2006, 01:29
mikethebest,

I think there's already been a fair amount of info about stage 3 on here but in terms of the interview you basically need to just make sure that you've read up on the airlines, the airline industry, and CTC. Apart from that it's pretty much down to you, to show that you're right for CTC and that you have the motivation and qualities necessary to become a pilot. Then there's the group tasks, once again it's basically up to you to show that you're right for the role. You need to demonstrate that you're capable of working with other people and can make sensible decisions.

Starmix

mikethebest22
12th Jan 2006, 13:42
ok, when u say the airlines, is it just the airlines i have applied for, e.g thomas cook and easyjet. also what info do you need to know other than the obvious fleet size and type. what info is valuable concerning the industry and once again for ctc. sorry but i just want to get it rite. any further help is greatly appreciated. give me some pointers. thanks

c_jephcott
12th Jan 2006, 14:24
There's only one question that I have - on previous reading of this thread, it seemed to suggest that the ground school for the ATPL course would be by self study? Am I right in thinking this?

Dries
12th Jan 2006, 20:25
Hi,
From reading the earlier posts in this thread, I deduced there must be a seperate thread that deals specifically with the CTC Wings ATP scheme. Does this thread still exist or has it merged with this one?
Due to the search function being U/S, I haven't been able to locate it.

SMOOTHFLIER
12th Jan 2006, 22:51
Fatboytim check your pm's

FatboyTim
13th Jan 2006, 02:05
smoothflier, check your pms again mate

FatboyTim
13th Jan 2006, 02:09
c_jephcott, yep, its self study, but it is fairly well monitored by the ground school and CTC, the ground school have a great breakdown of subjects and frequent 'progress tests' at the end of subjects, this helps keep a track of your progress, you also get issued a weekly timetable of studywork to be done.

If youre not used to studying (like me - no uni experience) it hits you like a sledgehammer, but once you get into the swing of it, it flows quite nicely.

sort of.

c_jephcott
13th Jan 2006, 15:19
Thank you very much for your response on this.

So it does all work out in the end? The regular progress tests sound ok, because the worst thing in the world would be getting the wrong end of the stick about a concept and doing it all wrong.

As long as it's monitored, it makes it a little bit better for me!! :)

JediDude
13th Jan 2006, 18:01
Well, I just got the results from my stage 3 and its a big fat no, with no chance of being re-targeted. :(

I sort of knew I'd fluffed the interview, I think nerves got the better of me. I didn't mention some of the evidence of my motivation and made an arse of some of my well-thought out answers specifically examples on leadership and flight deck communications.

Cheers to MX16 for the lift in the morning and the good advice the night before, hope you done well dude.

For anybody else going to stage 3, relax and enjoy it. Despite my failure I still think that the folks at CTC are brand new and very friendly.

Oh well, life goes on. Does anybody have any good Plan Bs for a married 29yo man with kids and a mortgage who's getting paid off in 5 weeks?

mark_heg
13th Jan 2006, 20:22
Hi could any one pm with any details about phase 3 thanks :-)

mo90
13th Jan 2006, 21:20
c_jephcott,

check your PMs.

Mark, check the forum! Stage 3 is about being yourself and showing how much you want to be on wings. The interview is fairly informal, however you need to have a bit of knowledge on the wings scheme - the main airlines involved etc - they won't ask rediculous questions like the wingspan of a 737 :p. Just have a general knowledge of the website.

Apart from that take JediDude's advice - relax and enjoy, and don't start shouting and ordering people about in the team exercise(nor the interview)! :)

best of luck

busz
14th Jan 2006, 01:24
Funny you should mention the wingspan of a 737......Going back to my interview in may 2004 (Was it that long ago???!?!), i was asked what modifications were made to the old 737s (300/400/500) to create the 737NGs. I was searching for an answer, but somehow mentioned new wings....apparently thats correct:) . I then mumbled on about Winglets and was subsequently asked what the advantages of installing winglets to an aircraft were.

Again, I splurted out an answer to do with reducing fuel consumtion leading to either an increase in range or increase in payload that can be carried. Seemed to go down well. Still not sure if thats the right answer, but it got me on the course;) In 3 weeks time im meant to be flying the 73 sim, guess its time to hit the books.

I dont expect any of u guys to be asked anything that technical, just thought id give an old timer's recollection of the interview.

Alex

MX16
14th Jan 2006, 10:29
Sorry to hear you didn't go through JediDude. I got the good news that I made it through to final stage and I’m heading back down to Bournemouth on Friday for my Sim ride. Fingers crossed!! It was nice meeting you and your family the day before and I wish you the best of luck for the future. Checked out your website by the way, very very impressive.

JediDude
14th Jan 2006, 12:49
Thats good news MX16. Good luck on Friday. I'm sure you'll be fine.

2port
14th Jan 2006, 17:35
busz

What's this "searching...mumbled...splurted"
Considering you know every conceivable difference between a 300 and a 400 - down to the number of rivets, I doubt very much that you struggled on the technical aspects in the interview.

2P

Touch'n Go
16th Jan 2006, 12:02
Hey there.

Very motivating this thread to apply for CTC Wings. I have not applied yet but am about to. I just have a few questions about that program and its financing.
If I understood right one has to deposit this bond of 60.000GBP at CTC and they will transfer it to the Airline in case they pre-selected you. When you are done with the training you start to work at that airline and over period of 7 yrs you will get paid those 60K ? Reading between the lines means to me that one will have to work for that particular airline for at least 7 years. Is that correct?
Furthermore how about the TR? Will the company pre-finance it?

Happy to receive an answer....

Superpilot
16th Jan 2006, 12:46
You don't have to work for them for 7 years if you don't want, but then you are responsible for your own payments obviously. As far as I know Easy finance the TR which takes place through CTC anyway.

lewiserz3
16th Jan 2006, 19:22
hello all i am a newbie to this forum but i must say well done to everyone who has posted all the info in the thread!!

i am planning on applying to the ctc wings scheme at the end of my degree, but having read ALL 24 pages :eek: i have a question:

it says on the ctc website that due to the large amount of applications they recieve they are unable to answer specific questions, however it seems a few people have got hold of ctc to ask various questions!?! how do i get in contact with them?

thanks

WilliDeHavilland
16th Jan 2006, 20:59
JediDude
...be grateful you didn't make it through, or you would have found yourself with 2 mortgages on your shoulders LOL

Touch n Go
...by the sounds of CTC's presentation there's no guarantees of being preselected. Chances are you'll enter a holding pool for a couple of months (if you're lucky) and then get hiredand start earning money and repay the bond (which from 60k has in the meantime become 84k.... wizardry ? interest ? LOL). All fine if you go with easyJet, but you could also land a "seasonal" job with Thomas Cook. That was a bit unclear in the presentation.

In any case, if all goes well with the bond, you'll need lots of cash for other things, such as the foundation course (priced 9000 NZ$ on the website, and 12000 at the CTC presentation) , any additional flying hours CTC might see as necessary on top of your training programme, ground examinations, medicals, eating and surviving without work for 2 years (say 5k a year at least ?) altogether I'd say 15-20k before even starting. And unless you're a rich kid, you'll have to take a loan for those as well.

Yeah I guess the pleasure of flying is priceless but a sponsorship to me is more like "you give us your talent and commitment, we take care of all the rest" while here it's all good when they ask you enthusiasm and commitment, but it's a big gamble in terms of money (unless you're a rich kid, again) and us normal people with a normal job simply can't afford certain things, no matter what's the talent and skills we might supply.
A pilot shouldn't take chances with safety under any circumstances, so why should cadets take a big gamble with their (or their families') savings ?

Sorry, maybe a bit crabby - but realistic I guess ?

WdH

FatboyTim
17th Jan 2006, 07:50
...by the sounds of CTC's presentation there's no guarantees of being preselected. Chances are you'll enter a holding pool for a couple of months (if you're lucky) and then get hiredand start earning money

almost every cadet currently in NZ assigned to an airline and new cadets who are currently learning basic stalls being offered jobs with airlines.

Its also not uncommon for cadets to be preselected before they even start. Therefore I dont see much 'luck' associated with getting a job, and as for hitting the holding pool, not much risk of that now is there?

Please post only from reliable sources.

Touch'n Go
17th Jan 2006, 08:27
@WilliDeHavilland

Indeed it sounds a bit negative. But it is always better to not just stare in the bright and very positive direction, at least for an additional perspective.

@FatboyTim

Good to hear that nearly all Cadets were pre-selected. If you are in this group I suppose you will be fine. Otherwise I do not think it makes sense to do the "self-sponsored-hope-scheme". The price is way too high for that.

For those who are interested in another Flight School there is Intercockpit in FRA (Germany). It costs "only" 65k€ which is about 40-42kGBP. So far they have done a good job in getting jobs for their cadets. They have a council of several airlines they are working with. Just to give you an insight about the German market.

Cheers

BigBoeing
17th Jan 2006, 10:22
Just asking for more detail on someone elses post. What other costs are you responsible for throughout training? Does the 60K cover the training and thats it? What about food, accom and transport? Cheers for info

CharlieBarlie
17th Jan 2006, 14:28
Well, I just got the results from my stage 3 and its a big fat no, with no chance of being re-targeted. :(

I sort of knew I'd fluffed the interview, I think nerves got the better of me. I didn't mention some of the evidence of my motivation and made an arse of some of my well-thought out answers specifically examples on leadership and flight deck communications.

Cheers to MX16 for the lift in the morning and the good advice the night before, hope you done well dude.

For anybody else going to stage 3, relax and enjoy it. Despite my failure I still think that the folks at CTC are brand new and very friendly.

Oh well, life goes on. Does anybody have any good Plan Bs for a married 29yo man with kids and a mortgage who's getting paid off in 5 weeks?

Sorry to hear you didn't make it beyond stage 3.

Was just wondering if you'd PM me sometime with details of how to create a good impression on the application for the CTC wings scheme as i'm hoping to apply just as soon as I finish my darned A-levels.

Thanks

WilliDeHavilland
17th Jan 2006, 15:31
Touch n Go
...interesting about the German scene... every 2nd time I'm on a Ryanair flight, the Captain or FO seem to have a German accent ! (unless they are all playing a recorded message LOL)

Ich fliegen Lufthansa !!!

mikethebest22
17th Jan 2006, 16:34
i searched high and dry for info on stage 3, seen as youve been there and done it jus wondering what info u need to know about the airlines and ctc apart frm the obvious fleet size and type. anything else they ask you. what examples of motivation did u use. im struggling for ideas.i really dont want to mess this up. i realise ur a busy bloke butif u gud jus drop an informative email to me or sumthink i would very much appreciate. any info u think i need to no, any links or anythin. please reply, i gotta go down on the 24th jan 2006, email or add me on msn, its [email protected]

MX16
17th Jan 2006, 19:16
If anyone has been through Stage 4 recently I would really appreciate an indication of what to expect. I am a PPL holder but I haven't been current for a long long time.

Cheers :)

harri1888
17th Jan 2006, 20:57
hi guys. I've only just applied to the ctc wings programme since i just turned 18 a few weeks ago and i'm in the process of completing part 1 b).

I would like to spend time going through everthing on this site about CTC however im in the middle of my second year uni exams and my free time is very limited at the moment.

Anyway, i didn't realise before there was a 50/60 grand payment made at the very beggining and was wondering, is this a deposit or a payment?

If accepted by the airlines i have applied for will they pay for this or will they at least guarantee me a job at the end?

funnily enough at 18 i dont quite have 50/60 grand to give and so i would have to take it all out on loan.

I just need to know whether i'm gonna be paying a loan back for the rest of my life or if there's any way i know for certain i will earn it back.

Also - i read on the site all expenses are paid - does that include residences/food/flights to and from new zealand etc.

Oh and also how often will i be able to come home during that year and a half of training (this ones for my girlfriend)

I'm sorry if this post just annoys people who think i cant be bothered to read the rest of the posts but like i say im a busy guy.

Any replies are much appreciated ;)

Dries
17th Jan 2006, 21:10
Hi guys,

I'm going to Southampton the 24th of this month for phase 2 of the wings ATP scheme. I'm not fishing for tips and tricks, just like to know if there are any ppruners going as well? I read we are 15 in total. Good luck to everyone in the running.

FatboyTim
18th Jan 2006, 08:11
harri

as u said, there is already ALOT of info on this, money-wise, CTC put you in touch with HSBC if successful and they provide an unsecured loan of £60k for the training, in addition to this, you can take out £5k per year for living expenses and you will also need to supply CTC NZ$9000 for the foundation course (£3300) which can also be taken via HSBC. If you have any flying experience, you will do a shorter foundation course and get a refund for unused hours. All in all, you end up spending about 7 years paying it back at a grand a month once employed.

Unfortunately, the £5k living expenses must also cater for (in NZ) food, fuel for the cars, your room cleaning when you leave NZ, class 1 medical renewals, travel insurance, laminating of charts and any alcohol related activities.

In NZ CTC Provide accommodation, vehicles, a laptop for your ATPL studies, all your flying equipment, uniform, exam fees (written and flight tests), remedial/extra flying when on the Wings Course (once finished the foundation course) and various other bits and bobs.

When you finish in NZ and you come back to the UK, you get provided with accommodation...thats about it. You have to pay utilities, transport and pretty much everything else. When you finish at Bournemouth however, I believe you get accommodation and food in Southampton. Not sure about the full details on that one.

As for returning to the UK, you spend about 6 months in NZ, then go home for 5 weeks to do module 1 of the ATPLs, then you go back out for about 3-4 months to finish the flying. Then you go to bournemouth to do your second module and the CPL/IR. After that, its all in southampton.

No guarantees of a job, but thats life, anyone who demands a job guarantee is never going to find one. However, its not in CTCs interest to have you sat around without a job and they pride themselves on getting their cadets jobs. People are out here in NZ starting to learn to fly and have jobs lined up back home. Some even have a job as soon as they have been allocated a course number. So I wouldnt worry about that one too much.

WilliDeHavilland
18th Jan 2006, 09:10
...it's great news knowing that cadets in NZ already have a job lined up back home.
It's a bit unfortunate that this wasn't mentioned in the face to face presentation I attended at my stage 2 selection. All they mentioned was the holding pool. Maybe they do it to discourage applicants ?

It's great to know that cadets in NZ already have a dark and cold cockpit waiting for them that only needs to be flown ! I wonder who buys all these brand new 737's and sits them in a hangar waiting for CTC cadets to fly them ! LOL :-)

cheeky !

best regards
WdH

busz
18th Jan 2006, 10:06
It's great to know that cadets in NZ already have a dark and cold cockpit waiting for them that only needs to be flown ! I wonder who buys all these brand new 737's and sits them in a hangar waiting for CTC cadets to fly them ! LOL :-)
WdH

So far its Easyjet, Thomas Cook, Monarch, Thomsonfly, First Choice, Britsh Airways and Jet2.

I was originally White Tailed for about the first year of my training. Was looking at the possibility of going into the hold pool. When I got back to the UK was informed was going to one of the above airlines! Smiles all round. One thing you need to remember is that CTC's customers are the airlines and NOT the cadets. CTC therefore cannot make a profit until they have placed a cadet with an airline. Its in their best interests to find you employment therefore. This is the biggest difference between CTC and any other training provider.

Alex:rolleyes:

jock2fly
18th Jan 2006, 16:30
hi guys and girls,

just wondering if anyone is heading down for stage 3 on 25th jan?

if anyone has been recently could you shed some light on the group excercises? what kind of things did you have to do?

my numeracy result was just below the cut-off so i have to do that again at stage 3! anyone else in this position? i'v done maths to a-level standard but not done that kind of maths since GCSE!! i scored in the high 30% for my aptitude tests, presume thats why they've given me another chance at the numeracy one. anyone know where i can get good example questions? been practicing but hard to find relevant example questions.

cheers

jock

mikethebest22
18th Jan 2006, 16:56
hi your in exactly the same position as me, i ws in the middle 40% for some stuff then for workload etc high 30% wot about u, it also sed medium to low risk but for specific pilot tasks average to low representing a potential training weakness. forward ur success email to me ill have a read, ill do the same if u wnt. i also failed maths, lol but got an a-level, please let me know, if you find a website. dont no wot i will do without it. wen did you go for stage 2. email bak or add me on msn its [email protected]. also what re you researching for ur interview

good luk

WilliDeHavilland
18th Jan 2006, 17:35
....thank god there's only a numeracy test, not a literacy one ! LOL :-)

Donna M
22nd Jan 2006, 19:40
Hi, i'm heading down to Bournemouth on 31st for the Stage 2 assessment day. Does anyone know what the success rate is for this part of the selection process? Is there anything in particular I should be brushing up on for the tests? Just looking for a bit of advice! :confused:
Good luck to everyone who is in the same situation!

garyogilvie
22nd Jan 2006, 22:16
Hi there,
There is quite a bit of Stage 2 info a few pages back, but mainly just go down and have a good day. If you try to enjoy yourself you will do a lot better, and try not to let nerves get the better of you.
There is not much you can prepare for the Pilapt tests, you will either have the skills or you won't. Group discussion, is just a chance for them to make sure you are able to hold a discussion in a normal manner.
You could brush up on your GCSE math skills for the 15 maths questions in 15minutes, but thats about it.
If you make it through to stage 3 then more to prepare but posts on this above.
I was told that of the group at each stage 2 around top 30% make it to stage 3 as an average. Then it is top 50% of them get through to stage 4.
Hope this answers your questions, and all the best for you day.

Gary

MonarchA330
23rd Jan 2006, 04:34
Then it is top 50% of them get through to stage 4.

As far as I'm aware it's not the 'top' 50% that get through, more like 50% of Stage 3 'on average' get through to Stage 4... difference is that you're not competing against each other, but against the CTC standard... anyone care to confirm this? Fat Boy Tim? Busz?

M330

mo90
23rd Jan 2006, 07:12
spot on monarch 'zenden' 330 ('look at me, look at me, i've got epaulettes'),

if you reach the standard your in - so it doesn't really matter what the pass rate is - for any week it could be 100% or 0%! :eek: As for the average success rates, i think both 2 and 3 were fairly low(20-40%) and stage 4 80%. overall it's 2.8% from writing your name on the application form to flight SQ285/321 to sunny(well...kinda) Auckland.

as gary said, theres not much to be done for stage 2 - just try ensure you perform on the day - smile and be positive(easier said than done i know!!) :)

best of luck folks :ok:

c_jephcott
23rd Jan 2006, 11:10
Donna M - Check your PMs in a couple of minutes!

FatboyTim
23rd Jan 2006, 11:15
from what I remember (and I took stage 2 a hell of a long time ago) you dont compete with eachother as such during any part of the selection, things may have changed, however I was told "back in the day" that they could take everyone in the room, if everyone met the standards.

I think the only competition is, as you said, competing against the high standards CTC set, if you meet them at any stage of selection, you move on to the next stage. I know that at stages 2 and 3 it seems like a competition because there is more interaction between applicants, and at stage 4 it is just you and the aircraft, but I think generally speaking, the selection emphasis is on meeting the required grade, not filling a pre-set number of available spaces.

I could be wrong, it was nearly 2 years ago to the day that I went to stage 2! :ooh:

Big Frank
23rd Jan 2006, 15:35
Hi everyone,
Found out that i've got through Stage 2 so naturally pretty excited! Just wondering who else made it through from 17th of January, and whether anyone's going to Stage 3 on the 22nd of March? Be good to recognise a face etc!!

Cheers,

Frank

beeniemac
23rd Jan 2006, 23:17
Just enjoyed reading through the full 25 pages of this (half of it on works time, oops!). Some very intresting stuff :)

One thing I would like to know - if you show superb aptitude and a talent for maths, but aren't as confident as say a standup comedian in the intreviews are you destined for the bin?

I have a natural talent in maths (apparently!) and I do not feel I would struggle with the aptitude tests, however, I am not the most confident person in the world when it comes to interviews. Don't get me wrong, I am no recluse I just cannot stand the atmosphere that always occurs - it always unsettles me.

Is the answer just to apply for lots and lots of random jobs to get into the intreviews and have that kind of situation as a second home?

(Please excuse my spelling, been working on the car since 8am and hands are in tatters!)

FatboyTim
23rd Jan 2006, 23:29
"I have a natural tallent in maths (apparently!) and I do not feel I would struggle with the aptitude tests"

Doesnt sound like you will have any confidence problems my friend! :=

They look for the confidence side of things not only from your interview, but from your group excersizes, if you aim to get along with the people in the group and give suggestions as well as taking suggestions, this would take on a 'team player' feel. You dont have to be super confident to be a Pilot, in fact you need to have a balance, confidence enough in your decision making skills whilst being open to criticism. Over confidence is one of the worst attributes a pilot, and indeed any person, can have. It leads to arrogance and, believe me, no-one wants to multi crew with an arrogant power-mad Pilot. It leads to a cavalier attitude and ultimately accidents.

I think if you went into your interview and kicked back, bragging about how wonderful you are, you would be out of the door much quicker than someone who had the necessary skills and talent, but was a little less assertive than the others.

Best bit of advice, as I always say, is BE YOURSELF. Then you will know for sure whether or not this job is right for you.

Good luck :ok:

(ps. dont underestimate those aptitude tests, they are pure evil and I would never want to do them ever again.

ever.)

PilotNotFlying
24th Jan 2006, 13:22
hi there,

a couple of months have passed since my application to the CTC Wings Scheme and I have passed the 1st stage and I could have gone to the 2nd stage since late october last year.
I am still a bit undetermined as to whether it is reasonable to go there.
There are a few things that hold me back, the costs of the selection process being the least. May be I'm just afraid of failing the process although I don't have much reason to think so.
I'm from germany and I know that there is a german guy down in NZ right now. I dreamed of passing the selection process for the partially funded Lufthansa Pilot Training which I unfortunately failed like about 97% of the applicants do. I passed the aptitude test though, so I am at least one of those few.

After forging an "emergency plan b" in no time I am now a university student of general engineering science with the option to specialize on aircraft systems engineering. Now I'm planning to get the ATPL in modular steps to make it as cheap as possible.

The CTC selection process seems to be very tough too, but as I'd like to grab every opportunity I'd like to give it a shot.
Somewhere in this thread I've read that someone failed the interview because he was a university student and he was told something like he'd better finish university first. Now I don't see why, but is that really a reason to fail the interview?
As for me I never wanted to be a uni student, but I feel forced to because of the apparent situation concerning wannabe pilots.
I don't think much about the fact that I'm not a native english speaker, which I hope you agree isn't such a problem.
Now what should I do? Travel to the UK and give it a shot? I know, actually trying is all you can do.

Chris

Vale Warrior
24th Jan 2006, 20:12
Just a quickie everyone, and I apologise if this has already been covered, but are there any Physics related questions on the Stage 2 tests

Cheers all

VW

JediDude
25th Jan 2006, 06:56
Just a quickie everyone, and I apologise if this has already been covered, but are there any Physics related questions on the Stage 2 tests

Cheers all

VW

No. Simple maths test, 15 questions and the PILAPT.

mark_heg
25th Jan 2006, 12:46
Hi I am wondering if any one could shed some more light on stage 3. I have read through the last 25 pages and all there seems to be a group exercise involving lego. Can anyone pm me / post in more detail what the group exercise involves. Also including how the day is set up and possibly some of the interview questions. Much appreicated. Thanks.

thebeast
25th Jan 2006, 23:03
Hello all,

I have Phase 3 of the Wings ATP coming along very soon. I ve trawled through all 26 pages of this tread and havnt found out alot about whats involved. Can anyone out there give me an idea of what is asked at the interview? Any thoery questions or is it the usual HR stuff that you would get at any job interview?

and also what kind of group exercises are set? (are they just a discussion as in phase 2). Think i read somewhere that lego might be involved!!

Thanks for your help......

super_starmix
25th Jan 2006, 23:51
mark_heg,

Stage 3 will involve two group excercises and an individual interview. One excercise will involve using a lego style kit to create some masterpiece and the other excercise will involve yourself and your team mates deciding how to survive a given scenario, for example being stuck on a dessert island. Then there's the interview, I think typical questions have being given throughout this thread, you'll need to show you know what's going on with the airline industry and who a bit about the airlines CTC supplies cadets to. Basically what they are trying to determine is how much you want to be a pilot, whether you've bothered to do any research and then the rest is pretty much about yourself. When have you demonstrated your abilities as a team player/ leader/ responsible person? That sort of thing.

Starmix

FatboyTim
26th Jan 2006, 00:21
careful not to get the wings course and the ATP course mixed up, not sure if they have the same selection process or not.

For example, I doubt you would be asked about motivation if you are at the stage of doing the ATP course.