PDA

View Full Version : The CTC Wings Scheme thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Sky Wave
26th Apr 2006, 20:48
dllcooper

Could someone please do an increasingly agitated user a word of advice. I have reviewed threads but cant pinpoint acual skills required for Phase 2.

Have you really read the threads? I'm sure this has been covered in the past 38 pages.

Plus, Minus, Times, Divide!!

That really is it. The questions are dressed up some what, things like currency conversions but all you need is basic arithmatic. Nothing Else.

SW

akindofmagic
26th Apr 2006, 22:54
dragonfly I'm going for my phase II on 19/5. I'll see you there I guess.

777Kicks!
26th Apr 2006, 22:54
Hello all!

Anybody attending the selection of the 05/05/06?

After reading all the posts I still have a few questions. Does the age limit of eJ and some other airlines in partnership with CTC is still 26? And in that case does anybody know what is left for people from 27 to 30?

Also concerning the pilapt tests, there is one test called PATTERNS and another one that has a matrix involved into it, could someone describe what u have to do specifically in those two?

Thank you! ( Also hope I'm not the only one for the 5th... := )

Triplesevenkicks

camflyer
29th Apr 2006, 17:41
777kicks!

I am going to stage 2 on the 5th May guess i'll see you there!!

Camflyer

michaelpye
1st May 2006, 11:43
Would anybody be up for sharing a twin hotel room in Christchurch / sharing a taxi to the selection centre the following morning? Since this whole thing's proving a bit pricey, thought cost sharing might be a plan. email: [email protected],

cheers,
Mike

bjkeates
1st May 2006, 12:27
Just to let you know, if you stay in one of the guest houses on Stour Road in Christchurch, nice ones of which there are plenty, a taxi to the airport's Eastern Business Park where CTC's Bournemouth centre is located will cost you between 10 and 11 quid. It obviously works out much better if you can share one. In my experience, guest houses seem to be about £25-£30 a night for a single with en-suite, and the two I've stayed at - Stour Villa and Brantwood - both do EXCELLENT breakfast!

JamesTigris
2nd May 2006, 13:21
Anyone who was at the Stage 2 at Bournmouth on Friday heard anything yet? They said on the way out "you'll hear tomorrow". With the bank holiday weekend I assumed that was admin speak for Tuesday!

ChocksAwayUK
2nd May 2006, 13:25
Hi James -

It's strange - apparently they emailed everyone on Saturday, though you're the third person I know who hasn't heard. So you'll have to give them a ring and get them to resend the email.

I found out this morning and have been given less than 24hours notice for a Phase 3 tomorrow - eek. I'm in the process of rescheduling though.

Good luck.

JamesTigris
2nd May 2006, 20:21
Congratulations on getting through to stage 3, all the best in everything that's to come! I'll find out my results tomorrow I guess..

-JT

poss
3rd May 2006, 03:07
Its taken me around 3 hours from 1am to 4am to read this whole thread and im really glad i chose to look into the finer details a lot sooner than i would be able to apply for the CTC Wings, really gives me the time to read deeper into the industry. The information supplied within this thread has helped me understand what there is to do at the different stages, and as for the be your self advice, i cant help being myself anyway.
Anyway my eyes are starting to melt, hope people waiting for their results get what they want!

Reverand Lovejoy
11th May 2006, 16:33
Evening All,

I cant let this ride any longer. I failed my stage 3 about a month ago but received a phone call for a reapplication at this stage in October. After speaking to people on the CTC scheme they claim to know (or know someone who knows!) some people that have been allowed to re-apply to the scheme before the 6 month "cooling off period"

Do you kow anyone who has been allowed to do this. I was very close to passing - this has been said by the interview team. Detailed feedback has been given and worked on and I really feel like I am ready for another shot. Whether or not you agree with this - what are your thoughts? Will it be considered as a good thing or a bad thing by asking to have a go early?

The reason I ask is that I finish Uni in two weeks and want to continue the learning process instead of havign a job for 4 months and then leavining for NZ (hopefully!) and cant sleep for the want of trying to get away with an early resit.

Opinions welcome and don't be shy, I've got leather skin!!

Many Thanks
The Reverand :ok:

sicky
11th May 2006, 17:21
i've been wanting an early go at stage 2 again, but havn't looked into it. I just assumed 6 months was 6 months.

Do you think they'll get in touch when you can re-apply, or is it up to you?

A38lephant
12th May 2006, 10:16
I failed st. 2 and they re contacted me after about 5 months to re-organise. I think that was the shortest period allowed.

JamesTigris
12th May 2006, 10:35
I've also been knocked back at stage two despite passing sections of it. I'm awaiting feedback so would be interested to hear people's experiences on reapplication. As is my understanding, you cannot automatically reapply, you must be invited to do so. Having said that its never going to cost you anything to keep hammering on their door...

SA242
12th May 2006, 12:51
Thanks to everyone whos made this forum possible and for all the contributions! It is really helpful.:ok: I am from South Afrca and finishing off my uni degree this year and have my stage 2 in Feb next year. Are there any other people on the scheme or progressing through it who have come from other countries? If so please let me know how it is going?

Regards

Andrew

future captain
13th May 2006, 10:22
Hey guyz,

Just wanted to know, when you go to CTC do they requir to see your education certs, because at the moment im having trouble finding mine. Ive found my GCSE ones but no luck with A level ones :uhoh:

Any of you guyz shed any light on the matter, cheerz in advance.

bjkeates
13th May 2006, 12:53
Yes they do - they require you to take your passport and your education certificates to Stage 2 (and they require the originals, not photocopies.) If you're having trouble finding them, all I can suggest is that you contact your relevant exam boards and see if they can issue duplicates.

katanapilot
13th May 2006, 13:57
Future Captain,

Don't worry, while CTC say you must have the certificates, it's not the end of the world if you don't (say you had forgotten them, for example). But they will insist on seeing the originals before you sign the training agreement on successful completion of Stage 4. As suggested, contact the exam board and they can produce duplicates (I've got a feeling it's around £15 per subject!!). Or send a nice email to Mary explaining!

Cheers

future captain
13th May 2006, 14:02
Future Captain,
Don't worry, while CTC say you must have the certificates, it's not the end of the world if you don't (say you had forgotten them, for example). But they will insist on seeing the originals before you sign the training agreement on successful completion of Stage 4. As suggested, contact the exam board and they can produce duplicates (I've got a feeling it's around £15 per subject!!). Or send a nice email to Mary explaining!
Cheers
Cheerz for the advice guyz, ill give the exam boards a quick call.
Also my m8's been bugging me to ask for ages, on the ctc site it says 2 alevels at c or above OR honours degree at 2:2 min. Now he has good gcse results afaik 6 a's but his alevels arnt as good, he is taking a foundation year atm, and will have a comp sci degree from good university in 3 yrs after the foundation year to brush up his maths. So with the degree could he apply even though he doesnt have the two alevels at c.

sicky
13th May 2006, 14:41
I managed to scrape my certificates together for my interview, but i have no idea where they are now, and this was only a couple of months ago! :}

bjkeates
13th May 2006, 17:40
Cheerz for the advice guyz, ill give the exam boards a quick call.
Also my m8's been bugging me to ask for ages, on the ctc site it says 2 alevels at c or above OR honours degree at 2:2 min. Now he has good gcse results afaik 6 a's but his alevels arnt as good, he is taking a foundation year atm, and will have a comp sci degree from good university in 3 yrs after the foundation year to brush up his maths. So with the degree could he apply even though he doesnt have the two alevels at c.
Yes, I assume so. If you've got an 2:2 honours degree, it would imply that you probably have the capability to learn and understand what you need to be successful at training, and this is why they specify it. The only thing I would say is that although this would pre-qualify him to enter as far as the minimum requirements go, I don't know how the selection team would react to seeing the lower grade A-levels on the entry form - it's quite clear that they DO look at your academic and extra-curricular activities and achievements. Also, when it comes to airline selection, the lower A-levels may be looked in a less favourable light by the airlines who are looking at higher qualifications than GCSEs more and more. Having said that, computer science is a hard subject and getting a 2:2 at a good university would probably look pretty good. I would point out that I've made it on to the course having got good A-levels and although I'm currently doing a maths degree, CTC haven't specified a certain result of this as a condition for confirmation of my place, so it seems that filling at least one of the criteria will be OK. Certainly with a 2:2 degree your mate would be eligible to apply; if the A-levels weren't good, however, it might not be wise to apply before he's had his degree result confirmed. I was asked about my predicted result in my interview.

If he meets the minimum requirements, I wouldn't discourage him from applying - definitely go for it, it's a great scheme. You really have nothing to lose (apart from the expense of the trips to Bournemouth and the stage 2 day and in the grand scheme of things it isn't that great an amount.)

[pedantic mode] I don't mean to have a go, but good spelling and grammar is also pretty essential - there are quite a few forms to fill out as you proceed through the application process which WILL be scrutinised heavily by the selection team. Might be an idea to try and get into the habit! :) [/pedantic mode]

future captain
13th May 2006, 17:46
cheerz for that mate,

Yes, i have been known for my awkward spelling at times off rush. I will write this one slowly.

Good luck with the course, im sure you thoroughly deserved it and good luck with your degree aswell.

raviolis
13th May 2006, 17:54
If he meets the minimum requirements, I wouldn't discourage him from applying - definitely go for it, it's a great scheme. You really have nothing to lose (apart from the expense of the trips to Bournemouth and the stage 2 day) and in the grand scheme of things it isn't that great an amount.

True... 164 quid for a packet of crisps and a sandwich and a go at a computer game with a logitech joystick is not that expensive LOL

Sorry.. couldn't resist :-)

bjkeates
13th May 2006, 18:05
Hahaha! Very good! Yes, I take your point. It is quite an expensive day out and I'm glad I had my parents to contribute to it for me! But what I meant was compare that amount to, say, the amount one might be earning in a year (granted, I know some people aren't, I'm in that position myself) and think about the fantastic position you'll be in if you DO make it through - I'd happily pay it.

Also, regardless of the £60k bond if you do get on the course - compare the £164 to the NZ$12000 (approx £4100) for the foundation course, £600+ insurance and £302 for the JAA Class I medical. It soon makes that £164 for stage 2 seem even smaller! Although I admit that's not much consolation if you don't pass stage 2.

Delta452
15th May 2006, 11:59
Hi guys n girls,

After reading 39 pages I must say Ive gained alot of information about this program that I otherwise would not have found out so firstly thanks to everyone who has posted their experiences, I had my reservations about this scheme but I am now safe in the knowledge its not purely a plot to weed £60,000 out of people!

My question, which was asked before but was never answered, is is there an upper weight restriction for the JAR Class 1 medical exam? Ive looked on the CAA site but I cant find anywhere that gives exact figures. Im currently 6'3 and 19st and whilst a percentage of the weight is shedable "love handles" there is a large proportion which is muscle I built up from competitive swimming and weight lifting. Has anybody else experienced this problem or know of the upper limit?

Sky Wave
15th May 2006, 12:31
Probably best asked in the Medical forum. I wouldn't imagine you would have a problem.

SW

DXman
15th May 2006, 16:48
Hi guys,

Do you know approx how long would stage 2 last for?

Just trying to arrange a possible flight back to home on same day.

Cheers
DXman

Maurifly
15th May 2006, 16:58
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum.
I ask sorry then, if someone has already given that kind of info, but i were not able to find it anywere:

Is there a way to practice PILAPT test on the net, or with softwares (without costs) like the one on cockpitweb.com???

I was on www.pilapt.com but i cannot visualize correctly the web page, so that i cannot use it!
What is the containts of that page? Can someone give me info about how to find the software?

Thanks!

Maurifly

bjkeates
15th May 2006, 17:13
Hi guys,

Do you know approx how long would stage 2 last for?

Just trying to arrange a possible flight back to home on same day.

Cheers
DXman
Depends whether you get put in the red group or the blue group, and you won't find that out until the day. One group does the maths test while another does the PILAPTs, and unfortunately those which do the maths test first have to sit around waiting until the PILAPT group have finished. Then, they swap over. Those who do the maths test second are free to go when they've finished it - it was about 2:30pm in my case. Those who do the PILAPTs second will leave when they finish that, but obviously that's much later on - I guess it would have been around 3:45-4:00pm (but I'd left before then so I'm not sure.) If you're flying to Bournemouth, you should be OK with a flight leaving after 5:30ish (you'll need to get a taxi from the Eastern Business Park round to the passenger terminal, which is at the other side of the airfield.) If you're flying from Southampton, remember to allow enough time to get from Christchurch to Southampton Airport Parkway and then to the terminal building. I really don't want to put a time on it because I don't want to be responsible for you missing your flight! But if you're getting a taxi to Christchurch station then a train to Southampton Airport Parkway, allow at least an hour and a half. The trains aren't that frequent from Christchurch, only about 2 an hour.

These are only estimates based on my experience - if anyone wants to correct any of this information, please do so.

I was on www.pilapt.com (http://www.pilapt.com/) but i cannot visualize correctly the web page, so that i cannot use it!

Sounds like you might be using Firefox. I've just tried that myself and it doesn't work. Try using an up-to-date version of Internet Explorer instead.

vanderra
15th May 2006, 19:03
I passed my Stage 2 reassessment today (15th May) and have been booked in Stage 3 at Dibden on May 24th. I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who took their assessment today - hope you had the same good news as me :)

Mike (from Bristol)

DXman
15th May 2006, 20:50
Thanks 'bjkeates' for your advices... I will try to organize something... and hopefully would be travelling back home with a good news :ok:

dahawg123
16th May 2006, 11:32
Mike,

good to hear you passed. I made it through as well and I am booked in for phase 3 on the 23rd - looks like they run multiple days at a time. Good luck for the 24th!

Any of the other guys from yesterday (15th) here?

Chris (from Manchester)

tdp01tom
16th May 2006, 12:42
hi dahawg123 (Chris), hi vanderra (Mike),

I'm glad to know you both passed phase 2. Well I already knew Chris did.
I passed myself, I'm really happy with that.
I got invited to phase 3 on May 24th, but i just asked for a delay due to problems at work. I'll let you know if I come that day.

Cheers
Tom

Jimmy123
16th May 2006, 12:49
Hey Guys.

Well i am just about to do my A-Level exams (Maths/Physics/Economics/Geography). However, I would like some advice on the best action to take regarding University or applying to these 'scholarships'. The problem i face is if i dont apply to uni, i may fail during applying to CTC etc, but if i do apply, get a place in uni and at the same time find i could have gone on a scholarship, i wont be able to apply and it will be too late to drop out f uni!
Quite a rut im in at the moment.
Any advice would be gr8.
James

Delta452
16th May 2006, 12:59
@Jimmy123,

Whats stopping you from going to uni and then applying to CTC after you've graduated? Atleast then if you get knocked back by CTC you've got your degree to fall back on

topjetboy
16th May 2006, 13:46
Jimmy 123
I did my A-levels and applied to CTC during a gap year whilst working and travelling. It was great fun, gave me a bit of money but most importantly gave me time for the drawn-out application process and also minutes worth of stuff to talk about in the interview to make them think I was mature. I applied to uni in my gap year just in case. The day I was due to start at Durham I flew out to sunny NZ from Heathrow. I have no regrets about the way I did it - not many ppl get to fly 757's at 21, but I do have my medical renewal next week! Fingers crossed. A degree is a good fall back remembering job security isn't great as low hours airline pilot.
Best of luck with your application if you go for it.
P.S Hello to all the guys still out in NZ and down in BOH, head down, chin up!

spaceman18
16th May 2006, 21:32
Have to echo the ununsually wise words of la boy... i applied to uni and took a gap year. gives you a year off to save up some money to take with u either way...to uni for the booze, or to NZ for well erm... more of the same!

MonarchA330
16th May 2006, 22:54
Jimmy123,

If you have a chance of going to Uni 1st I'd reccomend doing that. I had 3 awesome years at Durham (topjetboy, you missed out mate ;-)) and then started the CTC Wings Cadet scheme as soon as I graduated.

Not only have a got a degree should things go horribly wrong, but also learned so much more than I could have ever learned in a lecture theatre.

M330

busz
18th May 2006, 09:36
I did things a little differently and went to university then applied for ctc half way through my 1st year. Got on the course and left after my exams at the end of my fresher year.

Im the 3rd 21 year old in the last 4 posts to be flying a 757 (well, on the 29th june i will be anyway), and certainly dont regret leaving uni to come on the CTC scheme.

Weeman

A38lephant
19th May 2006, 12:15
For anyone who's interested there is a nice little article in the back of this weeks FI on pilot shortages. Posting this here because one of the main interviewees is Lee Woodward of CTC. :ok:

Mooney12
19th May 2006, 12:25
Well aren't all you 21 year old 757 pilots great!!

I have to disagree though....whats the rush? Go to uni, have a good time, get a degree and then apply to CTC. Thats the best way in my view.

Im 23 now, have a degree (which still may come in useful down the line) and unlike the above people (busz, spaceman18 and boy) Im headed to a proper airline. :E Im not into any of this flying during the night business you charter boys have to put up with;)

Bring on the cheeseboards......

R T Jones
19th May 2006, 14:44
Well I'm just about to do my A Level exams this summer and I've got my gap year coming up. Planning to work at an airport for part of it while applying to CTC. I've got conditional offers at Leeds and Liverpool so if my application is unsuccessful I do have that to fall back on. Must say it is very encouraging hearing successful stories of 21 year olds flying 757's!

LVLCHG
20th May 2006, 17:35
Same boat... I applied for CTC and university at the same time. University is not essential in getting this job. I went out to New Zealand on the cadet scheme when I was 18, and type rated and flying the Boeing just as I turned 20, therefore giving up my university placement to go. I have absoloutely no regrets in doing so, as it has got me where I am such early on, however the only bad thing about it is that there is nothing to fall back on if things go pear-shaped.

The decision to go to university will not be a bad one, as Mooney is right, there is no rush - and if you want something to fall back on later on in life...then you have a choice. As jetboy said... job security is not great anywhere in the business.

Best of luck on the application, and hi to all the guys in NZ/BOH!
LC

SA242
21st May 2006, 10:46
LVLCHG.....couldnt agree more. If you have the oportunity to get a degree, get it. I'm in my final year of uni and it is an experience which would be a pity to miss! Its also very useful as previously said to fall back on in the event you become medically unfit etc. Certain people will go through ctc without a degree but i would imagine you have a better chance with one since you have more to speak about at interviews and a bit of experience out of school before launching into the flying scene.

rgds SA242

Flying_Mantis
21st May 2006, 11:19
I was wondering if anyone can shed a little light on stage 3. What type of technical and non technical questions can we expect.
Any input is welcome.

bjkeates
21st May 2006, 14:00
It depends on a) your experience and b) the information you put in your application form. My interview was tailored to what I had written on my form; there were some people who already had PPLs who were asked a greater number of technical questions than I was.

There is plenty of information in this thread on stage 3 - read back about ten pages or so.

oli463
21st May 2006, 22:52
Hello !

I'm new here and have to say how impressed I am with this site. So much information !!
I am attending CTC Wings Phase 2 on 2 June and have a couple of questions...:)
First of all, regarding the aptitude tests, I am looking at Pilapt-prep and Cockpitweb and curious to know if anybody has any experience with either and whether they are worth purchasing?
Which tests are in the phase 2 tests that are not covered in these programs, if any?
Also the numerical test, I have read that I only really need to know the basics. ie subtraction, multiplication, division etc but would love any advice or information that is more specific.. ?
Much appreciated !

ps. anybody attending phase 2 on 2nd June get in touch ! :ok:
Oli

air_wolf
22nd May 2006, 11:38
flying_mantis - check your PMs.

Maurifly
22nd May 2006, 16:26
Ciao Oli,

Maurifly from Italy, actually waiting to join phase two on June, the 2nd, with you...
Pleased to met you!

Even if it seems you are already well informed the first good thing you can do is just read all about your query in this thread... there is actually a lot of quotes about it!

Have a nice navigation! I discovererd really more than i could expect!!

Maurifly

Hello !

I'm new here and have to say how impressed I am with this site. So much information !!
I am attending CTC Wings Phase 2 on 2 June and have a couple of questions...:)
First of all, regarding the aptitude tests, I am looking at Pilapt-prep and Cockpitweb and curious to know if anybody has any experience with either and whether they are worth purchasing?
Which tests are in the phase 2 tests that are not covered in these programs, if any?
Also the numerical test, I have read that I only really need to know the basics. ie subtraction, multiplication, division etc but would love any advice or information that is more specific.. ?
Much appreciated !

ps. anybody attending phase 2 on 2nd June get in touch ! :ok:
Oli

oli463
22nd May 2006, 18:38
Thanks Maurifly for your reply.

I'm going to give Pilapt-prep a go. Like alot of others, I think you either have aptitude or you don't... But it can't hurt to practice!

Now just need to brush up on my maths skills.... :ugh:

See you 2nd June !

Martin4
22nd May 2006, 19:27
I think you either have aptitude or you don't... But it can't hurt to practice!

This might be interesting, well i found it quite interesting to read ;)

Can Aptitude Be Improved?
Although studies seem to suggest that aptitude test scores cannot be improved, other research shows that that may not be the case. Tests such as the Scholastic Aptitude Tests contain many questions that are content-specific, particularly in math areas. Performance on these specific types of items is trainable.

Some experts feel that short-term cramming might not affect aptitude test scores. However, long-term instruction in broad cognitive skills might improve general test performance. Cognitive theory and research suggest that learning ability can be improved by training students in learning strategies. Improving academic aptitude may be possible through a systematic curriculum that complements direct training in learning strategies with both the development of general thinking approaches and the application of those approaches over a variety of different tasks and content areas.

What has been learned about training to improve aptitude can be summarized as follows:
Attempts to train aptitude must go well beyond practice and feedback. What's needed is intensive training in strategies involved in task performance along with higher level monitoring and control strategies involved in guiding performance and in transferring skills to new areas.
Educational efforts to improve aptitude need to be long-term.
Abilities of students and methods of training interact. Attempts to train strategies must fit the tested aptitudes of students.
Practice and feedback can be effective when students are already proficient in the ability to be trained.
Intrusive training may be harmful to high aptitude students.
Training ability works best when treatment utilizes some of the student's other strengths.
Some aspects of intellectual aptitude may be more easily trained than others.
When i was waiting to take the RAF airman selection tests i bought a few books on aptitude tests and psychometric testing, great to read and has some practical stuff you can try out and practice for the tests. www.amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk) has some great books you could buy.

stockportonealpha
24th May 2006, 08:42
Hi all!

I know there is loads of info on here, but I get the feeling that CTC like to change and alter the format of there selection process!! Just wondering if anyone could give us an up to date account of what to expect at the Stage 2 selection?! Specifically what to expect on the Maths test, which Pilapt tests they are likely to use and what kind of problem solving to expect!!

Thanks for your help!!

Cheers.

sicky
24th May 2006, 17:09
Just read through and check the dates of the posts, it's all recent and up to date

So C
25th May 2006, 16:03
hello, just would like to know what kind of questions does ctc aviation ask for they aptitude test, are they difficult, do you need to revise, what do they consist, got an exam next month, don t really know what s waiting for me.

Thanks.

dragonfly6
25th May 2006, 22:39
Hi tom,

just done stage 2 a week or so ago, i took alot of info off this thread that helped me alot so I feel i should give back....

you need to be able to do long division, multiplication, addition, and subtraction fairly fast (you can jot on the test paper to work these things out) The questions are not at all hard in any way, the hard thing is you only have fifteen minutes to answer fifteen questions, so the second you boj one up, you eat away at the time you have to do the rest. The questions are all along these lines:

your at 9000 feet, you want to get to 30000 feet, you gain hight at 1500 feet per minute, how long will it take? Not exactly that question but they are all like that (working out rates of change). One bit of advice i would give is that its multiple choice so you have 4 options - you dont always have to work out the answer - somtimes the options may vary by a factor of ten so you can estimate and get the right answer without the long-winded calculations.

After that you sit the pilapt test - you cant practice for this. its starts out fairly easy (althought the time you take to respond is taken into account). It increases in difficulty untill the last test which is multitasking to the point of overload. Only advice on this part i can give is get a good nights sleep, get a good breakfast in you in the morning, and chill out big time - the tests are quite god fun - just like a computer game. read the instructions carefully before you start each test and relax and enjoy playing it. Bottom line is there is absolutely nothing you can do to prepare for pilapt - your playing these games for 45 minutes so theres no faking it - you either get a good score or dont. Im sure your aware you can get practice tests off various websites - i bought one- wasnt that helpful. Bottom line is turn up alert after plenty of sleep and try you best.

hope that helps - dont want to tell you exactly what the tests are in great detail - seems a bit unfair on the rest, but even if i did it wouldnt help - the tests are explained to you in great length on the day before you attempt them.

Ive got my stage three next week - its all been a bit fast - faxed off stage one got a reply the same day asking me to come down nezt week. Whent down for stage two and had an e mail waiting for me when i got home asking me to come to stage three the next week! whats wrong with that you say.... i live 400 miles away!! Still, in another few weeks i might be in newzealand...

heres hoping... all the best mate.

dragonfly6
25th May 2006, 22:59
Sorry -

spraphed so much at tom i forgot to write what i originally logged on here to write. Ive got stage 3 at dibden manor on the 31st of may - i have to fly into southampton airport at about nine or ten in the morning the day before hand - hire a car and go and find dibden manor then go to a b and b (not booked one yet). Anyone flying into southampton the day before the interview or flying out the evening of the interview and need to get to the airport after, or want to go to the same b and b (might be an idea to get to know each other before any group exercises) let me know if your interested in splitting hire car cost on any leg of the journey. - dibden appears to be in the middle of no-where and an hour round trip cab ride from the airport seems an excessively expensive way of doing it.

eagle21
26th May 2006, 19:45
Hello everyone just passed phase 2 today I am so happy getting ready for phase3! I would like to hear from other pilots on todays assesment, how did you go?
Pm :)

wilcoluca
27th May 2006, 08:43
DRAGONFLY6

Hi dragonfly, I was looking for another pilots going to phase 3 the next 31st of May. Apparently we are the only 2 here on pprune.

I come from Italy and I will fly to gatwick. I will stay at this B&B : http://www.newforest.demon.co.uk/ashdene.htm

There is another, Dale Farm, which is nearer to CTC but it is already fully booked.

Let me know your plan.

dragonfly6
27th May 2006, 17:45
hi - my plans are as follows

into southampton at 11.00 am

hire car to dibden

staying at four seasons b and b nearby somwhere - not sure where, it was the only one not booked up.

driving back to southmpton airport straight after interview.

wilcoluca
28th May 2006, 18:39
Well, we're quite close. I will arrive at Ashedene Guest House, little bit to the north. We can meet on wedsneday morning or elsewhere if you want...

my email is [email protected] .

tramb
29th May 2006, 19:45
Hello everybody I'm new on your forum, does anyone know if a french guy could succeed to the CTC selections? I've failed in the recent selections in france because of the psychomotors tests (you know wonderful game with two joysticks, calculation and lamps to switch off...) and I would like to know how are the tests of the selection
thank you for your answers!!!

COUZINET
30th May 2006, 14:19
Hello Tramb and everybody (of course!),

I'm french and I have been invited to pass phase 2 in june, but it won't be easy to prepare my trip with my current job tasks. I hope to go later in Bournemouth.
Tramb, I suppose you have failed ENAC these days, haven't you?
I'll be pleased to make knowledge if you are interested in pass this selection.
For everyone, I am looking to work my english (it's not easy when you leave in France and you don't use it) and so I will be happy to exchange with you. I think it's the best way to improve it and avoid mistakes.

Thanks a lot I hope I was not tedious.

See you soon.

MonarchA330
30th May 2006, 19:14
HE-LLO! Tramb...

The answer to your question is yes. There is a French lad on the course right now coming up to the end of his NZ phase.

M330

St. Helier
31st May 2006, 12:45
Hi,
I am only 15 and want some valuable info no getting on the scheme,
I cant wait till I am 18 and start writing filling out the application form,
Im practising already!
I am currently doing my PPL course at the Jersey Aero Club, and my instructor is the chief Instructor.
after that I will be doing the IMC and Night Rating. hopefully I would have brushed up on my maths and ready to apply
anyine out there curruntly on the course who can help me out?

spitglider
1st Jun 2006, 10:39
Frenchy too.

burty83
1st Jun 2006, 17:21
Good evening. First of all I must thank everyone who has shared their experiences of the selection process with CTC. It has proved to be a valuable source of vital information. For those going through phase 2 or 3, read and digest but don't go too far back as things have changed over the last couple of years.

I'm just checking to see how the other three guys from the sim assessment got on today. Received a call this afternoon giving me the good news.

akindofmagic
1st Jun 2006, 17:31
Hi. Just wondering how people who were at Dibden for the Phase III assessments got on yesterday (31st). I got through to the sim assessment for next Thursday:). So near...

MonarchA330
1st Jun 2006, 20:04
St Helier,

Best advice I can give to you at the moment is to concentrate on your GCSE's and A-Levels. If you don't get good enough grades in these then you can forget about applying to CTC! After your A-Levels, Id seriously consider going to University aswell.

You have got loads of time on your side, so maybe during the school holidays you might want to try and get some experience of working in an airport or something aviation based.

Enthusiasm is of course a good thing, but don't get too far ahead of yourself... 1 step at a time!

M330

SA242
2nd Jun 2006, 17:16
St Helier, MonarchA330 is exactly right in what he says. You are extremely young still. To get to flying whether in ctc or another way requires steps and an aweful lot of commitment. Its not all just tapping your fingers and waiting for school to finish so someone can shove you in a boeing or airbus. Focus on each step at a time and make sure you do them properly. This includes school, A levels etc. You will be really glad you did later on believe me! I am in my final year at university doing BCOM Aviation Management and it is something I will never regret. Definately look into getting a degree before flying. It alows for more knowledge and life experience as well as a backup incase you loose your medical etc. Apart from those serious reasons its also a HUGE load of fun.

The only advice I can give you is to focus on what you doing right now even though you may be bored. Doing well in areas like school make or break you later on when the competition is tough and you will be glad you put in the effort!

Good luck and hope you get sorted out there:ok:

Regards
Andrew

FatboyTim
3rd Jun 2006, 11:06
...in addition to this, a bit of life experience would give you something to talk about during the selection phase! Believe me, there would be nothing worse than getting to phase 3 and dropping out because you have nothing to talk about!

By saying this, I am not implying in any way that becoming a Pilot or getting into CTC is an 'for those with age and wisdom' or anything like that, I started flying in NZ with them at the tender age of 21 and I was by no means the youngest on the scheme!

Also, as has been said, do look into university, not only does it give you something to fall back on, it does give you a taste of life away from home and ever more importantly, it also gives you a heads up on the kind of commitment to study that you will have to devote to those dreadded ATPLs.

I myself never went to uni and managed to get onto the course because I spent time productively after college. Also remember that being in an aviation related job isnt a prerequisite of getting in, it does help, and does illustrate your interest in the field of aviation, but just as equally important are jobs which flex your ability to show leadership, organisation, team work, etc etc, all the nice piloty things which would be vital in this industry!

I myself regret to a great extent not going to university, not only because I missed out on cheap drinks at the union, but also mainly because I stepped off that plane in NZ after moving straight out of my parents' house and felt very much in the deep end. Believe me, its one hell of a step up if you have never done it before and I found it quite daunting!

Every stage of the training at CTC comes thick and fast and my advice is get yourself prepared for it in advance!

Just food for thought mate, good luck with everything! :ok:

FBT

wilcoluca
3rd Jun 2006, 13:47
To those who did the phase 3 the 31st of may: have you received any message from ctc?

HighLow
3rd Jun 2006, 20:30
Hey Forum,
just looking for the first step regarding CTC Wings application
my situation = JAA CPL/MULTI IR 250 hours and looking to apply for the Wings Program which I believe is aimed for pilots with hours, and no jet experience.

i've been reading through the posts with interest, many saying what stage they are at etc,

I have a Bsc Degree and I am 27 and looking to complete this course,
some people have mentioned Accom and Travel Expenses paid for, which stage is this for...etc and I know one stage contains a pretty straight forward numerical test...

so its all a muddle for me at the moment, if someone could (not having to go into TOO much detail) as I appreciate peoples time is valuable, but just to give me a rough guide through the process in order to get into the holding pool... and what airlines are currently looking at this pool...

also people have mentioned loans HSBC, this would be for when a student is starting ab-nitio etc. (65-75K). Having spent alot of money (self funded) already, what extra expense (loans) would be involved including any bonds to airlines, as already I have a committment of 100GBP a week, completing this course, will this mean ANOTHER loan on top of these repayments.....

alot of questions here I know, but would appreciate some guidance

many thanks
High Low

future captain
3rd Jun 2006, 20:54
The CTC ATP scheme is for experienced pilots, the CTC WINGS scheme is for cadets with no or very little experince ie maybe ppl.

Sky Wave
3rd Jun 2006, 23:12
HighLow

Why don't you take a look at their website http://www.ctcaviation.com/index.html. You should also look at EVERY PAGE of this thread. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94832

SW

bjkeates
4th Jun 2006, 01:10
The CTC ATP scheme is for experienced pilots, the CTC WINGS scheme is for cadets with no or very little experince ie maybe ppl.

Confusing terminology being used here.

The CTC Wings scheme encompasses both the CADETS and the ATP courses - as described here (http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/). "Wings" is a common name attached to both courses.

Wings CADETS is for those with little or no experience.
Wings ATP is for qualified pilots (further than PPL).

So HighLow, for your qualifications you are looking in the wrong thread - try the ATP one linked to in the post above.

Maurifly
4th Jun 2006, 21:01
Hi guys everyone,

just passed succesfully through phase 2 on June, the 2nd!!! Oh yeah!!

Anyone else from that session with good news?

See you on 5 July at Dibden for phase three!

... and just to understand...
How we can manage to reach Dibden from Southampton without having to pay for a 30 mins taxi ride?? (sound like 30£ at least... Ouch!!).

So that i am available to any other way to arrange for this journey (bus; car rent, by ship, bycicle maybe!!), let me know if interested in!

Maurifly

wilcoluca
5th Jun 2006, 10:13
hi - my plans are as follows

into southampton at 11.00 am

hire car to dibden

staying at four seasons b and b nearby somwhere - not sure where, it was the only one not booked up.

driving back to southmpton airport straight after interview.

Did you receive any message from CTC?

akindofmagic
5th Jun 2006, 10:15
Luca,

I heard from CTC. I got through to the sim assessment on Thursday. If you haven't heard it might be an idea to call or email them. They told me in my interview I'd hear the next morning, and I did.

Jamie

wilcoluca
5th Jun 2006, 10:17
Hello Jamie,

that's exactly what I am going to do. Many thanks, and congrats for your result.

Bye!

dragonfly6
5th Jun 2006, 21:24
Ye, got through phase three,

got the sim test on the eighth of june - am staying in stour villas with jamie. Phase 4... so near yet so far!!!

see you there...

Christa
6th Jun 2006, 13:00
Hey,
Going down to Phase 2 soon...
Does anyone have practice questions/answers for the climbing & descending type questions?
or/and....
A list of general aviation questions?

:sad:

Cheers
Good luck to anyone going for selection.

AeroEng
6th Jun 2006, 14:43
Just a quick general question and im sorry if this has been covered a million times before.

How many CTC wings cadets are taken on and how often.

Cheers

Chris

akindofmagic
6th Jun 2006, 15:42
I think at the moment they're taking on 8 a month and that is rising to 10. Alternatively, it may be they are taking on 10 a month and that is rising to 12. In any event, the take up rate is ~3% of applicants.

Humpty-Bump
6th Jun 2006, 15:42
Just wondering if anyone who is going to stage 3 on 13th June would like to share taxi/car hire to Diben....

I'm arriving at Southampton airport at 16:30 on 12th, and staying at Dale House Farm

Congrats to all who passed stage 2 on the 2nd

Chris

sicky
6th Jun 2006, 23:11
Just out of interest, has anybody who was unsuccessful at stage 2, reapplied, and gone on to get accepted onto the course?

A38lephant
7th Jun 2006, 10:34
Yep, failed stage two ages ago, had another attempt and passed. Think it was my maths rather than my pilapt that let me down. Not 100% sure though. I'm off to NZ in Sept.

SA242
7th Jun 2006, 10:52
A38lephant, out of interest how long did you have to wait before you were allowed to reapply? Apparently its 6 months before you can have another go if they invite you back??

A38lephant
7th Jun 2006, 11:18
That is correct - It was 6 months. CTC contacted me via email.

SA242
7th Jun 2006, 12:24
Oh ok, thats what I thought. Thanks for confirming. What where you doing prior to applying for CTC then or where you straight out of school? It must have been a pain to fill that 6 months trying to find something meaningful to do!

sicky
7th Jun 2006, 17:49
Well i'm working at my local airport :p

Entropia
8th Jun 2006, 10:42
Hi everybody, I'm a newbee to the forum.

I'm going into Phase 2 on Friday 16. I'm coming from Italy, and I'll stay by a friend in South Wimbledon, and will rent a car for a couple of days.
Since I'm not used to drive on the right seat (I mean to drive the car), I ask you how long is to drive from Gatwick airport to the selection place? And from South Wimbledon?

Has anybody undergone the Phase 2? What kind of question and answer test, computer test and numeracy test am I undergoing?

Thank you
F.

bjkeates
8th Jun 2006, 12:33
Gatwick Airport to Bournemouth Airport would probably take you about 2 and a half hours in clear traffic. Unless you plan to leave very early in the morning, I would strongly advise against driving to Bournemouth from London first thing. The traffic will be terrible on the motorways and it doesn't look good if you walk in late. Remember you're supposed to be there for 8:45am.

I recommend you do what a lot of people do - drive down to Christchurch the night before, stay in a Guest House (cheap, very comfortable and the breakfasts are VERY good!) and then drive up to Bournemouth Airport (about 15 minutes drive) in the morning. As well as eliminating the risk of getting stuck in traffic on the motorway, you'll have the added benefit of a good night's sleep which is essential before Phase 2. The computer PILAPT tests require all the concentration you can summon up. You're unlikely to be at your best if you have to get up at 6:00am and then drive over two hours in heavy motorway traffic.

Also, you can get the train from Gatwick Airport down to Christchurch (with one change) and use taxis to get to Bournemouth Airport if that's cheaper than hiring a car for two days.

About the question "has anyone undergone phase 2" - please read through this thread very carefully, particularly the most recent 10-15 pages or so. That question has been asked repeatedly and there is a large amount of useful information on here - all I would be doing by answering this would be repeating what has already been posted.

Best of luck :ok:

raviolis
8th Jun 2006, 18:34
In the past weeks I've read quite a few posts from Italian applicants going for stage 2 and/or 3 selections. I was there myself and failed at stage 3 few months ago so just curious to know how you guys do. Best of luck.
I understand easyJet are opening/have opened a base in Milan so there might be some opportunities there.

Buona fortuna !

Entropia
9th Jun 2006, 12:22
Remember you're supposed to be there for 8:45am.

One more question: you said I need to be there for 8:45, in the CTC webiste it's written 10. Which one is right? Is the selection FIFO?

Thank you
F.

akindofmagic
9th Jun 2006, 14:03
I have recently gone through, and passed the CTC Wings selection process, doing my phase IV simulator assessment on Thursday 8th June. I ship out to NZ in the next couple of months.

Quite a few people pm'd me after a previous post to ask about Phase III of the process and what it entails. Rather than replying to all of those people individually I thought it was probably easier to post in the main forum, so apologies to all those who didn't receive a personal reply to their message.

The day begins (obscenely early!) with what is termed a "selection briefing". Basically, this is just the group sitting round introducing themselves in the "Hi I'm X and I'm an alcoholic" style. I'm not sure if this part of the proceedings is assessed. Don't be put off by the copious notes that the four assessors will be taking; it's all very informal and most people keep it quite light.

After the selection briefing, you will do the group exercises. You will be split into two groups (probably with 4-5 people in each) and will be taken off to different areas of the building by the assessors (two to each group). I won't give away what the actual exercises are. I will say that it's important to play an effective role in the team. This means that you should not sit back saying nothing and equally you should not talk all the time; listen to what your teammates say, and take it on board. However, do not be afraid to put your point across. Your ideas will be valuable and worth hearing. Don't talk over anyone else, don't interrupt and you will be fine. A couple of final points; listen to the instructions, and try to reach a decision as a group at the end of each exercise. Effective communication is not just important; it is crucial!

One final point on the group exercise: You will have to complete a self assessment questionnaire. Just make sure that you write an honest assessment of how you performed in the exercises. Don't worry if anyone writes more or less than you do; only you know how much you need to say.

After the group exercises, which will probably take around two hours, you will be able to take lunch. You should take the opportunity to talk to the numerous CTC cadets who will be wandering around, and the whole day will be quite informal in this respect. If you have a question you want to ask to any assessor, whether during lunch or the break between the two group exercises, just ask it! The impression I got was that they will be more than happy to talk about any aspect of flying with you.

I found the interview quite good fun. There will be two interviewers: an HR specialist and a very experienced (think 20k+ hours) pilot. The HR will ask more general questions, while the pilot will probably ask technical questions. The best advice that I can give is to substantiate your answers to all of the questions. You can probably guess that you will get the standard questions such as "Why do you want to be a pilot?" and "When have you been an effective member of a team?" These questions are just inviting you to take control of the interview, and say what you want the assessors to hear. Tell them anything you think backs up your credentials; anything you think makes you a more attractive candidate should be mentioned. Give examples to back up your responses; in other words, if you say "I am an effective team player" give them an example of the time when you were a member of a committee, or sports team or whatever. This is all just simple interview technique; if you're unsure on this, there will be plenty of information on this website (use the search function), and there are numerous books on the subject available. Just read around!

The technical questions will depend entirely on your prior experience. However, don't worry about them!! If you have an interest in aviation, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure than you have some idea about the background of the various partner airlines and CTC itself; people have failed because they have displayed absolutely no knowledge of the industry. Even reading one of the main flight magazines for a few weeks will give you a good basic knowledge of the major comings and goings in this complicated industry.

None of what I have written above should be taken as gospel. I might, of course, have misrepresented or misunderstood what they're looking for at this stage. However, this post shows you how I approached this stage of the process. The best advice I received before doing phase III was to be myself. Don't try and be someone that you're not, because it's very easy to see through a fake.

Good luck to anyone undergoing selection. I am convinced that it will all be worth it!

Jamie

bjkeates
10th Jun 2006, 10:24
One more question: you said I need to be there for 8:45, in the CTC webiste it's written 10. Which one is right? Is the selection FIFO?

Thank you
F.

Hmmm, actually I'm not sure. The time you should go by is the one in the e-mail they send you. It was 8:45am when I did it in January, but it may well have changed now. If so, apologies for giving incorrect information.

akindofmagic
10th Jun 2006, 22:21
cparker (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=113124)

You misunderstood. I passed phase IV on thursday 8th June, so I've been accepted onto the course. I edited my earlier post because re-reading it now, it is ambiguous and may give the wrong impression. Apologies.

Jamie

Maurifly
12th Jun 2006, 14:01
This is one of them!!

Hi William, thanks, let's hope we're going through!!

Anybody else attempting to phase three on 5 July?

I'm looking for someone available to share a car rent from the airport (Southampton, of course!).

Thanks very much to Jamie (akindofmagic) for the lot of info on phase three!!
That was very, very, very useful!!

MAurifly

In the past weeks I've read quite a few posts from Italian applicants going for stage 2 and/or 3 selections. I was there myself and failed at stage 3 few months ago so just curious to know how you guys do. Best of luck.
I understand easyJet are opening/have opened a base in Milan so there might be some opportunities there.

Buona fortuna !

jaimz1982
14th Jun 2006, 00:50
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask a q about the maths tests for CTC, the 15 qs. Just wanted to know are they all dressed up in aviation language that some of us who have literally just started their PPL will be completely baffled by, or are they just your average equations or sums.

Can anyone give me an example or any help as Im revising for my phase 2 this friday.

Im also dreading the pilapt stuff aswell.

Thanks very much

James

DANNY M
14th Jun 2006, 12:07
Hope that everyone that attended phase 3 assessment yesterday have been successful!?

I've just had the e-mail telling me that I passed phase 3, also inviting me to phase 4 next week!

So near, yet so far (I'm sure this has been said a few posts back!) lol

Danny :ok:

bjkeates
14th Jun 2006, 15:51
jaimz - no, no complicated aviation language. The questions are, I would say, about GCSE standard maths. Don't worry too much about that, if you're at all competent with maths you won't have a problem.

Pilapts are hard work - make sure you get a good night's sleep and a good breakfast before them. That is literally the best thing you can do to help you pass them, no matter how much practice you've had (if any.)

dragonfly6
14th Jun 2006, 15:54
DANNY,

ye it was me who said it! However managed to pass the sim test and am heading out second of august!

trying to complete the moutain of paperwork right now.

davedek
15th Jun 2006, 18:34
Hello everyone.

With regards to the maths test in stage 2, I know that you can't use a calculator (obviously), but are you given a pencil and paper to work it out? Might seem like a stupid question but I would be very grateful for an answer.

Thank you.

DANNY M
15th Jun 2006, 19:20
You get a pen provided... you can do any working out on the side of the maths paper they give you.

Thr maths paper is not that hard, its the time limit that puts the pressure on.

davedek
15th Jun 2006, 20:58
Thank you very much Danny.

Entropia
17th Jun 2006, 08:26
Hi everyobody, I'm going into phase 3 on 5 July. I think I'm flying inbound Gatwick on 4 July. Anybody wants to share a rental car from LGW to Dibden Manor?

Otherwise, have you got any suggestion on different ways to arrange the transportation (train, bus)?

Regards

NOL
18th Jun 2006, 08:42
Hi,
Im heading for the Phase 2 in Bournemouth on June 30th and Im looking for someone to share a rental car etc from Gatwick or Heatrow.

Im flying in from Copenhagen on Easy or SAS on June 29th and Im also trying to organize accomodation for the night somewhere around the CTC center.

Drop me a line on [email protected] :ok:

Nich

ootve
18th Jun 2006, 10:06
Hello everybody,

I'm in for the phase 3 assesment on july 4th. I'll be staying in the Lyndhurst Park Hotel. Anyone else who is invited for the stage 3 on july 4th? Maybe also staying in the Lyndhurst? I'm from Brussels and I'd love to meet some other candidates.

Greetz from Brussels,

T

Jeames
20th Jun 2006, 14:43
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but am travelling from Belfast to Bournemouth on 30th June for phase 2 of the assessment. I have already learned a substantial amount from reading this forum, but was wondering firstly if anyone has any further information on stage 2 (especially if you have recently completed it successfully) and secondly does anyone want to meet for a quick get together on the Thursday evening to acquaint ourselves in advance of any group work that may be involved?

Thanks

Justin

bjkeates
20th Jun 2006, 17:03
What further information are you wanting exactly? I'm always happy to help but so much has been said on this forum that it's difficult to know exactly what information you're after because pretty much everything has been covered over and over again.

NOL
21st Jun 2006, 10:24
Hi Jeames,

Would be good to meet up on 29th. I sent you a mail.

Let me know your travel palns and we can arrange to meet up.

NOL

Aer
21st Jun 2006, 11:50
Just got a place on the AQC with CTC, all I can say is just be yourself and relax, the interviewers are probably the friendliest I have ever met.

Jason Mitchell
23rd Jun 2006, 13:01
Hi All

I will also be attending phase II on the 30th June 2006.

I'm travelling up from Cornwall. Should anyone also attending phase II on this date that requires a lift on route let me know by replying to this thread.

Again I would also be grateful if anyone who has completed phase II has any advice/tips on getting through this stage?

Regards

Jason

RemotecUK
25th Jun 2006, 11:03
Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this very useful and informative thread.

Just wondering, I *think* im ok on the PILAPT type stuff (but time will tell) and the maths is my main concern. Ive been doing some revising but not to sure on the type of questions Im likely to get.

Would someone mind quickly posting some example type questions - obviously not the real ones but the type of questions.

Things I have been revising are addition, subtraction, division, multiplication and also looking at fractions as well e.g. 1/2 * 0.7 and that type of stuff.

Will I be ok or do I need to look into more detail in some of the areas?

Thanks in advance.

Christa
26th Jun 2006, 12:26
Anyone staying at the carrington hotel on 29th? Wanna share a taxi to the airport in the morning? Send me an email.

dragonfly6
26th Jun 2006, 16:40
A few questions have been asked that myself and others have answered in great detail already, we took the time to come back here and give feedback to help others so please take the time to read this thread. All the questions have been covered again and again.

Christa
26th Jun 2006, 16:47
Well that may be the case Dragonfly but it is 40+ pages of stuff to go thru maybe if someone did a really indepth explanation of PhaseI - IV then you might not get so many repeated questions.

akindofmagic
26th Jun 2006, 21:01
Just to second what dragonfly has said; everything you could want to know about the application process for the scheme is covered in detail in the previous pages. It's a long read, but many people have made the effort to go through it all. And if you're really that lazy/short of time, I hear the search function is some good...:}

sicky
27th Jun 2006, 02:10
Even better when you can not only search the site but also "search this thread" (the menu bar at the top of the first post of each page :p) :}

FatboyTim
27th Jun 2006, 06:16
also it seems to be the general opinion that the longer posts are the most useful posts (this isnt a rule, just a pattern!)

so if you whizz down a page quite quickly im sure you will spot the longer posts easily enough. This shouldnt take too long!

The people who post feedback on here spend alot of time doing so for the benefit of others and its a niggling little frustration to see people asking the same questions on every one of the last 44 pages!

I can only assume that this is the reason for the recent lack of replies to such matters. I for one have put a little bit of information on here regarding selectiong (not hints or "answers" for getting in, thats up to you!) but I, and many others, feel that reading this thread has become a little like a needle skipping on a record! Same questions over and over again :ugh:

To summarise, the chances of asking 'can anyone give me any information about stage 2?' and getting a reply are very very slim as it often hints towards 'I cant be bothered reading the thread so can I get a tailor-made reply suited for me?' Please look through the other pages people!!

One last thing, if you think reading 44 pages of a forum is tedious, god, just wait for the work required on this course, PPL books, Aircraft Flight Manuals, Instrument Flying books, JAR OPS, FCL, Air Navigation Order, Cap 413...and thats not even touching on the MOUNTAINS of reading required for those ATPL exams!

I'm not having a moan people, those of you who know me will know thats not my style! Its just frustrating to know that there is some really useful stuff on here and its going to waste!

Happy flying! :ok:

FBT

Entropia
28th Jun 2006, 09:20
This is just to put my 2 cents about phase 2. I passed phase 2 on June Friday 15.

1) Numeracy test. Long divisions, units conversion (instruction and conversione factors are clearly written within the specific question). These are subjects you should firmly know from primary school, and that you probably work with in your everyday life.

2) PILAPT test. I never experienced that prior to selection phase 2. I judged it very difficult, mostly it requires concentration and attention.

My opinion: nobody should worry about the numeracy test, while everybody should consider the PILAPT as a high demanding test, so requiring to face it relaxed after a 8 hours sleep and a good breakfast.

My question: why is everybody so worried about the numeracy test? It's not rocket science, every 11 y.o. student would kick it.

Regards
F.

SA242
28th Jun 2006, 10:57
I agree with Fatboy Tim, everything you need to know is already here and many people have put lots of time into helping others on this CTC post. If people really are complaining about having to read just over 40 pages then dont even bother attempting the flying game. It is a MASSIVE amount of work and weeds those out quickly who dont have the will to study and dedicate lots of time to their careers. Many thanks to all the guys in the past who have posted up here. You have made the forum a potential goldmine of info for those who read it:ok:

rgds
SA242

Maurifly
2nd Jul 2006, 14:33
Hi people,

Once again, but really the last one (i swear, no more stress from me!) i am here to find travel mates for journey... i am leaving from London the 5th early in the morning just to be at Southampton at 8 o'clock. Then i'm gonna take a taxi 'cause no other way's possible to me.
Does anybody wish to share taxi ride/costs from central station with me?
Otherwise; does anybody (and i bless you if that's possible!) have a possibility to give me a lift? I can also leave the train at Southampton Airport in this case if that sounds better for you!

Write me on pm, or just contact me on mobile (+39-3343438860), thanks!!

Maurizio

DANNY M
3rd Jul 2006, 16:51
Anyone form here got their phase 4 assessment on Thursday?

Drop me a PM if you want to meet up for a beer?

Danny :ok:

dyingforflying
3rd Jul 2006, 17:33
is anyone going to fase 3 from ctc on the 18th of july? and how can you prepare for the questions about the companies ctc is connected to? I dont think it is important how many a320's they have. what is good to know about them?

Mach 2.2
3rd Jul 2006, 20:26
I believe it's called initiative m'boy.

Plus, it doesn't exactly take much effort to learn how many a/c each company have, and would certainly show the interviewers how keen you are. Especially when you consider how much you're going to have to learn for those exams...

Pazu888
4th Jul 2006, 13:01
Hi everyone

I have booked my Stage 2 for 21 July, I'm really excited... anyone else on here going on this day?

Big thanks to everyone who has posted on here, I've read the whole thing and it was really helpful to know (roughly) what to expect.

Well done everyone who has passed and is in NZ / flying jets! :D

dragonfly6
4th Jul 2006, 22:46
Dyingforflying,

hi had phase 3 about a month or so ago.... My questions regarding ctc's partner airlines were quite open ended. I just found out what i wanted to know (as a prospective employee) about the partner airlines. That seemed to do the job. However there are different interview panels so i can't speak for everyone. For all i know they guy before me might have had a much harder time.

good luck.

rse
5th Jul 2006, 10:37
dyingforflying
"I dont think it is important how many a320's they have. what is good to know about them?"
Ok then, don't bother finding out but you might be kicking yourself in that interview. How hard you research depends on how easily you're scared by the sounds of silence after they ask you 'so, tell us all you know about X partner airline'. Treat it like going for a graduate job, if you have no knowledge of the scheme then you're out whatever your aptitude scores for having low motivation. Purely out of frustration: please do us a favour, find eJ's annual report and learn what load factor/operating profit/RPKs are!

dyingforflying
5th Jul 2006, 11:59
Thanks for the help guys. And do they ask any technical questions for example about flying and airplanes?

Jambo23
5th Jul 2006, 13:46
I'm off for my phase 2 this friday (7th). Going to be travelling down tomorrow evening from Loughborough. Drop me a pm if you wanna meet up/share travelling. Good luck guys n gals,

Jamie

Pazu888
5th Jul 2006, 15:04
Jambo23 - Good luck, I've got mine in a couple of weeks...

ootve
5th Jul 2006, 15:11
Hello Guys,

I'm in for the AQC programme at CTC.
Just be yourself and try to enjoy it. (is what I did) Very friendly people for the intervieuws. Even if it doesn't work out you can still learn a lot about yourself.
Good luck to everyone,

T:ok:

Entropia
7th Jul 2006, 11:02
Hi guys, I've just been disqualified in phase try, last 5 July. I think that was due to motivation reasons. Anyway the phase 3 moves in a very comfortable atmosphere, they make yourself at home. Really be yourself, as I did, and the interview will lead you to discover quite a lot about yourself, and that will be good even if it reveals something you don't want to hear. My personal experience has been a great experience, I enjoyed every part of it, I met great people and professional assessors.

I will try to explain: apart from arline sponsored programmes (BA, Swiss, Lufthansa, CTC), I never tried to invest personal and economic resources in flying to obtain PPL and CPL privately. I never tried since it costs a hell lot of money, which my family didn't have. I could have worked and paid it little by little, but I didn't do it since there was (and at present is) quite no hope to become a professional pilot in Italy, and I thought it could have been a waste of money and of time. I other words, I never "risked" anything, to become a pilot. This was what the assessors have tried to point out in my interview, from the 3rd question on.

From the selection, from what all the guys in my group said, I understood quite a lot about me and my passion for flying. Which is a pure passion, becoming a civil pilot has only been my greatest dream, but not my "one and only" commitment in life...and maybe not the kind of job I'm "naturally made" for. So I think the assessors sought my person quite in depth, more than examining me they made me discover what has ever been my interest for flying. I'm now disappointed, but I would try to put it as the result was the best for me, for planning my life.

So now I'm landing...
Take care, I wish you all the best!
Filippo

raviolis
7th Jul 2006, 14:01
Filippo / Entropia. I am sorry to hear it didn't go well. However you make a very interesting point. I, too, come from Italy and spent 23 years in the beautiful country before moving to the UK. There is huge differences between the 2 countries and it does reflects in the job market and recruitment / selecion criteria.

I went to the stage 3 interviews with lots of work experience from my own background, business meetings all over Europe, project reviews, high pressure and tight deadlines to meet in my previous job in the car industry. I thought it would be a good example of how I acted successfully in team work environments. Didn't seem to impress them and I was told I should have maybe joined a sports team or something like that to improve my team skills. Now, I have been playing team sports since I was 12 and have often been the skipper of my teams. In my culture and upbringing though, work experiences are more important that your high school sports club.
I have also joined a ground handling company at a major UK airport and work as a dispatcher as a second job at the weekend to finance my flight training and CTC reckoned it's a good move to learn how to work in a team. Now, although correct in theory, this job is the most shambolic and disorganised environment I've ever witnessed. It's far from being a learning experience, although it's good fun and interesting to work at the airport. CTC reckon it's a good opportunity for me to learn team work, after I spent years around Europe dealing with the most demanding customers in the car industry.

So you see, there's always 2 (if not 3) sides to every story. CTC, like every other corporate recruiter, follow an interview checklist and it's a case of tick box and pass or not in the end. It surely works but doesn't necessarily mean that whoever doesn't make it is not right for the job.
Sometimes is more of a case of giving the right answer to the interviewer than actually being the right person. Like everything, passing interviews is a skill too, and my school system and upbringing didn't train me to that.
It can be harder to face this kind of interview if it's not in your native language. Things you'd like to say get lost in translation or maybe you don't get the exact meaning of what you are asked. Still worth a try and a great learning experience anyway.

I went to stage 3 with zero hours and now only few months later I'm near to the completion of my PPL so I guess it was a good outcome for a bad result ! And I have met a few guys knocked back at stage 3 like me, same answer, invited NOT to reapply, and a couple of them are near to finishing their ATPL.. so there's life after CTC interviews !

best of luck to everybody

I will try to explain: apart from arline sponsored programmes (BA, Swiss, Lufthansa, CTC), I never tried to invest personal and economic resources in flying to obtain PPL and CPL privately. I never tried since it costs a hell lot of money, which my family didn't have. I could have worked and paid it little by little, but I didn't do it since there was (and at present is) quite no hope to become a professional pilot in Italy, and I thought it could have been a waste of money and of time. I other words, I never "risked" anything, to become a pilot. This was what the assessors have tried to point out in my interview, from the 3rd question on.

From the selection, from what all the guys in my group said, I understood quite a lot about me and my passion for flying. Which is a pure passion, becoming a civil pilot has only been my greatest dream, but not my "one and only" commitment in life...and maybe not the kind of job I'm "naturally made" for. So I think the assessors sought my person quite in depth, more than examining me they made me discover what has ever been my interest for flying. I'm now disappointed, but I would try to put it as the result was the best for me, for planning my life.

So now I'm landing...
Take care, I wish you all the best!
Filippo

sconno
8th Jul 2006, 00:23
Hi Pazu, ...

I've just booked for the 21st as well. Not sure where I'm staying yet, ... two nights somewhere, though, as I'm flying in from Prestwick.

Anyway, hopefully see you down south,
All the best,

sconno

Hi everyone

I have booked my Stage 2 for 21 July, I'm really excited... anyone else on here going on this day?

Big thanks to everyone who has posted on here, I've read the whole thing and it was really helpful to know (roughly) what to expect.

Well done everyone who has passed and is in NZ / flying jets! :D

sicky
8th Jul 2006, 00:50
Raviolis - I'm working at my local airport aswell, and you can see why people think it brings out the teamwork side of things. However i must agree, that most of the time, you don't witness the different areas working together, you just witness a lot of slagging off.

The handling agents get in our way, we get in their way, the cabin crews moan at us, we moan at them, the dispatcher moans at both of us, we both moan back at the dispatcher (not me personally - i'm not the moaning type) but it's probably all caused by the fact that thee are so many different companies trying to be in the same place at the same time with different rules and similar priorities...but that's a different story.

Like you say, in theory, it should involve lots of teamwork, and develop communication skills. In reality, the main thing you develop is a familiarity with the way things run in and around the airport, which isn't a bad thing really. :O

1CCCC
8th Jul 2006, 11:58
I thought it would be a good example of how I acted successfully in team work environments. Didn't seem to impress them and I was told I should have maybe joined a sports team or something like that to improve my team skills. Now, I have been playing team sports since I was 12 and have often been the skipper of my teams. In my culture and upbringing though, work experiences are more important that your high school sports club.

Join a sports team!
Is that what CTC are after for pilots! Surely it should be more extensive teamworking experience :confused:

Teamwork within for example a football game (or other hobby) is different from teamwork within the workplace. With a hobby people usually enjoy being there and taking part i.e. they do it for fun, which makes team work easier. In the workplace you encounter people that don’t want to be team players, people that come just for the money, people who don’t care, and people who have negative attitudes. To be a team player you need to adapt to these people and from a Leadership prospective you need to adapt your leadership style to suit the individual / situation. Working on an airliner and within the airport is not going to be like a football game, or is it?

Surely the pilot with team working experience from within the workplace would be better suited than someone who can play football.

Now wear did I put them boots! :ok:

MonarchA330
8th Jul 2006, 14:12
1CCCC....

Funny you should mention football, I believe a few new players are needed out in Hamilton!

M330

Sagey
8th Jul 2006, 14:41
Reading through the posts it might be important to stress that there is a fundamental difference between giving examples of working in a team and demonstrating that you are good at working within a team. You need to be able to demonstrate your team working skills. It is one of the reasons why CTC tests team work skills seperately.

S

Lucifer
8th Jul 2006, 15:22
Which is a pure passion, becoming a civil pilot has only been my greatest dream, but not my "one and only" commitment in life...and maybe not the kind of job I'm "naturally made" for. So I think the assessors sought my person quite in depth, more than examining me they made me discover what has ever been my interest for flying.
I would disagree with CTC intensely (within the context of what was written below, with a note that I do not know who is and is not successful in the real world at CTC) - a fixation on the one and only goal of flying is unhealthy and very different from a level-headed approach to ensuring that (a) you have a life if the aviation career does not pan out as planned, and (b) exposure is gained to the world beyond aviation.

I believe strongly that it is very healthy for a wide variety of people of different backgrounds to bring their experiences into aviation, or it risks becoming a clique in which those without a fixation on the industry are ranked second to those who have, closing off the industry from further debate and development.

On the other hand, demonstration of a strong motivation towards a career in aviation through - for example - PPL training is crucial to ensuring that people know exactly what they are getting into in aviation.

Read this however in the context that I do not know CTC's procedure personally and this is in response to comments, but I hope it is a basis for debate.

bigCHRIS
9th Jul 2006, 09:37
Hiya,

Has anyone trained/is training with CTC in Bournemouth?

Am curious to know what is like as am thinking of applying.

Thanks

Chris

MonarchA330
9th Jul 2006, 11:45
Big Chris,

What are you thinking of applyig for? Wings Cadet? Wings ATP?

M330

gabriel m3
10th Jul 2006, 06:43
Hi,

I read a post in which it is said there are some pilaptest on the web.

Please may you give the website address ?

I go to phase 2 of CTC on August 11, 2006.

Thanks a lot in advance
Gabriel

Pazu888
10th Jul 2006, 09:03
On the other hand, demonstration of a strong motivation towards a career in aviation through - for example - PPL training is crucial to ensuring that people know exactly what they are getting into in aviation.

Read this however in the context that I do not know CTC's procedure personally and this is in response to comments, but I hope it is a basis for debate.

It seems strange therefore that CTC do not list a PPL, or even a certain no. of hours as a requirement to apply for this course?

Pazu888
10th Jul 2006, 09:05
Hi,

I read a post in which it is said there are some pilaptest on the web.

Please may you give the website address ?

I go to phase 2 of CTC on August 11, 2006.

Thanks a lot in advance
Gabriel

Just do a google search for PILAPT, you will find the company's website with screenshots of the tests. You can't actually practise them, but I think you can buy them.

Christa
10th Jul 2006, 09:34
I went for Phase 2 Selection at Bournemouth in June 2006, just gonna pass on some words of wisdom:

Getting There
For those of you coming from Scotland, Ryanair run a flight 1355 - 1510 every Thursday and back on Saturday 1535 - 1655 from Glasgow Prestwick(PIK) to Bournemouth(BOH) and if you book 3 weeks in advance(amount of notice you get once booked onto selection) it will cost you £35.94 do not leave it too late as a week in advance this flight shoots up to £114.94. Unfortunately selection lasts just a wee bit too long for you to get back on the Friday. Do not forget your passport as first of all you'll need it for CTC and secondly it's Ryanair's policy to check passports of ALL it's passengers.
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/

The airport has its own train station, and the 80 metre walk from the station to the check in desk is under a covered walkway. Trains run to Glasgow Prestwick from Glasgow every half an hour and the journey takes about 45 minutes. You can use the National Rail website to plan train times:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ Train enquries: 08457 484950
When booking your flight be sure to print off your confirmation email, because when you show this on the train you get half price off your ticket from any train station in Scotland to Prestwick.(You cannot get this discount if you buy your ticket online)
http://www.spt.co.uk/tickets/prestwickairport.html

United Taxis run a service from Bournemouth Airport; when you come out arrivals turn to the left and you'll find the taxi stand. If you do not want to be charged for taking money out at the airport take enough money for the taxi.(Roughly £15 to Carrington House Hotel ont he outskirts of town)
United Taxis: 01202 556677

Accommadation
I phoned Karen Croucher from CTC to organise accommadation as CTC get a discount for using a hotel for a lot of their candidates.
Karen Croucher: 023 8073 7567
She organised a room in the Carrington House Hotel situated on the Bournemouth East Cliff just outside the town centre. It is a 15 min walk to the beach in one direction and 15 min walk to a Walmart Asda/Bournemouth Train Station in the other.
Carrington House Hotel was £45 a night, breakfast included and a £15 taxi ride away from CTC Aviation. The rooms do have an iron for ironing shirts etc. and a hairdrier.
http://www.carringtonhousehotel.co.uk/

The hotel has a free phone to call taxis, (it might be an idea to order one the night before) leave with plenty time in the morning to account for traffic..it took me around 15-20 mins and i'd suggest trying to arrive there for 0930 onwards. Be warned, CTC Aviation is not within walking distance of Bournemouth Airport and not well known to taxi drivers, so i suggest printing off the directions from the CTC website to show the driver.
http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/directions.htm
(More than one candidate got taken to Bournemouth airport making them late for selection!!)

Selection
There was around 20 candidates there for selection at the same time both Wings ATP candidates and Wings Cadets.
(You do get provided with lunch so there is no need to take any with you)

In the morning you get a very informative presentation, i would take a notebook to take notes as it provides a lot of useful information that you might forget and it could be useful for the interview.
There is then a short break before you get split into two groups; one group has lunch whilst the others start the numeracy test and the PILAPT tests.

Numeracy Test
15 Q's 15mins
Rumour is that the pass mark for the numeracy test is 12/15
The maths is of a medium level and is multiple choice...you are required to do calculations such as add, subtract, multiply and long/short division. The questions are in the form of currency conversion, fuel calculation, ascending&descending timing, square root and squaring maths and ratios.
I bought the Trachtenberg book that someone recommended in an earlier thread and yes it has a few useful ideas but I didn't ultimately find it THAT useful. However, I did find this book useful, Speed Mathematics; Secrets of Lightning Mental Calculation.ISBN: 0471467316
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0471467316/026-3761199-1130042?v=glance&n=266239
It is well set out and clearly illustrates a number of techniques that you might find useful with examples and if you email him(there's an email address near the back of the book) he will send you more example questions. I would suggest you read this book well in advance though and do a LOT of practice the more you do the faster you will become.

PILAPT tests
The PILAPT tests last approximately 1hr 15mins and comprises of 7 tests; yes they are difficult but a goodnight's sleep will prepare you better than anything else. My only regret is that i didn't play more flight sims using a joystick, i found it quite alien to use a joystick. You can see screenshots of all the tests on the PILAPT website:
http://62.3.209.83/pilapt/Header.htm

SUMMARY
Stage 1 - Application Form (No Cost)

Stage 2 - Introduction to the wings scheme (Covers both ATP and CADET paths)
Maths Test (15 in 15 mins)

PILAPT tests (7 tests, they take approx 1h 15m).

Stage 2 costs £164.50 for BOTH ATP and CADETS. (the people that got away without paying were the ATP candidates that applied prior to the application process going online.)

Stage 3 - Group Exercises and Interview. (No Cost)

Stage 4 (ATP) AQC course ( Cost approx 7k I think)
Stage 4 (Cadet) Sim check. (No Cost)

NB:

CTC DO read pprune forums so if anyone gives away the specifics of the questions they will simply change the questions.
Remember your passport and your educational certificates!
Be organised and plan for any setbacks beforehand with travel.
CTC understand that you will want to know how you have done ASAP and send candidates an email to say whether or not they have made it the same day, if you don't make it they send you further feedback within 3 weeks.Good luck!

raviolis
10th Jul 2006, 13:35
Geeez

all that fuss for a joystick game and a Primary 7 numeracy exercise !!!!

:-)

bigjarv
10th Jul 2006, 14:01
Christa,

Thanks for taking the time to post the latest update. Very useful and much appreciated!

Bigjarv

Radioherd
10th Jul 2006, 22:07
Ello chaps, just found this forum today... wish i had earlier as its pretty useful info about what to expect etc.

Just graduated from Dundee with honours in Psychology and have only been pursuing the pilot career for the past year, only had 1 hour flying but that was enough for me to apply to ctc.

Flying down from prestwick on thurs for phase 2 on fri, just wondering if anyone's in the same boat?

Hope to see ya there and good luck anyone with any phases coming up:ok:

Pazu888
11th Jul 2006, 11:35
Ello chaps, just found this forum today... wish i had earlier as its pretty useful info about what to expect etc.

Just graduated from Dundee with honours in Psychology and have only been pursuing the pilot career for the past year, only had 1 hour flying but that was enough for me to apply to ctc.

Flying down from prestwick on thurs for phase 2 on fri, just wondering if anyone's in the same boat?

Hope to see ya there and good luck anyone with any phases coming up:ok:

Good luck mate, got mine next week (21st)... I've only got 30mins flying but hopefully that's not an issue... though judging by a couple of the posts above I'm not sure.

Sagey
11th Jul 2006, 11:58
Pazu it is not an issue at all. The desire and determination to succeed is much more important than having x hours.

Sagey

Entropia
11th Jul 2006, 12:51
I do agree with Sagey. Motivation and determination are the issues!

Do not think about "how to prepare" for the selection. The selection, as I just experienced, cannot be affected by any training. Try to face it relaxed (phase 2) and be yourself (phase 3). The selection is conceived to discover you quite in depth, you would not be able to cheat the assessors trying to be "the guy they're looking for". Up to now nobody has completely discovered what they're looking for...while some of us knows what hasn't gone right in his/her interview.

The selection itself will tell you quite a lot about you. Believe me!

Good luck to everybody!
E.

Radioherd
11th Jul 2006, 13:04
Cheers Pazu, ill be sure and give my 2 bob after friday to let you how it all went, but after reading most of these pages it does seem that Sagey and Entropia here know what they're talking about...

All we can do is give it our best, here's to that.

;)

fly now
12th Jul 2006, 17:41
hi everyone!!!
anybody who know better about CtC wing Atp programme???
I am on the second step of the application, and I really need info about their selection programme..if you have any..please
bye bye

akindofmagic
12th Jul 2006, 21:36
There is a dedicated thread for the CTC ATP scheme here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94832

remi1
13th Jul 2006, 21:29
Hi ewerybody
I am a frenchy.

I will go the phase 2 of the selection.
I am really exiting.

Good luck for all.
remi.

remi1
14th Jul 2006, 14:20
hello
I will go to the phase 2 of the selection on the 21st of july.
I will lodge at "the grosvenor lodge"

It could be a good idea to share a taxi from there.

Remi.

Ballistic
14th Jul 2006, 20:30
Bonjour Remi1,

I will also be at the 2nd Stage on the 21st though I won't be staying at the Grovenor. We could arrange to meet. For anyone who han't booked a place to stay I advise you to do it soon. They are getting booked out everywhere.

EGAC_Ramper
14th Jul 2006, 23:32
Just back from Phase 2 assessment for ATP though it is same for wings aswell.I did stay at the Grosvenor and its quite nice.Just for your information the taxi from the airport cost me £9:40.;)

Good luck for your phase 2 assessments!!

Regards:ok:

fly now
15th Jul 2006, 10:07
hi...
i am going to do the Wing Atp scheme.
getting prepared for stage Nì2...
I really need lot of info!!!!!
for example how did u prepare that?
...please..any book or direction?
thank u

fly now
15th Jul 2006, 10:45
HELLO THERE!!!:)
I M STUDYING AS WELL FOR PHASE N^2...
I M A BIT NERVOUS..
DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS??
HOW ARE U GETTING PREPARED???
:\
CIAO
HOPE U ANSWER SOON:ok:

bjkeates
15th Jul 2006, 12:12
Fly Now,

Please read post #913 above - a response to a previous post of yours which you obviously missed.

Although it appears that Phases 2 and 3 are now combined for both Cadets and ATP candidates, Wings ATP is different to Wings Cadets. If you're asking specifically about ATP, you're in the wrong thread.

Finite_World
15th Jul 2006, 17:09
Good luck y'all. Hoping to apply for CTC Wings next year by which time I'll have my PPL (hopefully). Cheers for the useful info on preparation and the general outline of the stages everyone!

Radioherd
15th Jul 2006, 20:54
Ramper which one were you at phase 2 on fri? I was the guy with the blue shirt/suit combo.... how did you get on?

I'm off to Dibden Manor on August 2nd, cyu there?

Pazu, i said i've give my 2 bob and here it is:

Numeracy test: its easy if you know how... in my case it wasn't easy cos i failed it embaressingly enough! Its not that the questions are hard, its just the understanding them in the short amount of time thats the trick, i've got to re-take it at phase 3 in a couple weeks so i'll be practicing answering various questions against the clock, that would be my advice to anyone for this part (hopefully that will be enough to dust the cobwebs from the mathematical part of my brain anyway!)

Pilapt tests: as has been said infinately in this thread, there's basically nothing you can do to prepare for these, it's quite simply a battle between your mind and the computer.... just make sure your mind's at its peak when you take them on, thats all you can do.

Hope thats of use to someone in someway, other than that there's not much else to say.

Good luck to anyone with any phases coming up, hope to see some of you at Dibden in a couple weeks...

Oh and btw the sandwiches are almost worth the application money alone!:D

EGAC_Ramper
15th Jul 2006, 22:04
Greetings Radioherd!

First off congrats:D

I was the chap in the light blue shirt and tie and light trousers.

I'm off to Dibden myself though have been givent he date of 9th August and nothing else to retake.Quite surprised as I was sure I had mucked it all up.
Good luck for phase 3! :ok:

Regards

fly now
16th Jul 2006, 18:05
hi ...i would like to ask you more about pilapt test...i am very worried...
can you give me some example of these?
plaese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i am getting ready for phase 2..
ciao

fly now
16th Jul 2006, 18:18
hi dragonfly...
i am getting prepared for phase 2.
i understood about the math test...but what about the pilapt test'
do u hav to do also a sim check?
at what stage?
please can you gmme more details'
than uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:O

Radioherd
16th Jul 2006, 18:21
Ah good stuff Ramper, i know who you are now... congrats yourself, good that you can just concentrate on the interview in a couple weeks now rather than another test but i only have myself to blame there!

Bit strange that your a week later than me but i guess either you asked to delay or maybe there are a few others in the same position as me booked for the 2nd... anyways hope to see you sometime in the future:ok:

fly now:

http://62.3.209.83/pilapt/Header.htm

this is screenshots and brief descriptions of what to expect in the pilapt's, don't think there's much more to explain really, good luck;)

p.s don't open the link in firefox, it doesn't work in that...

Mach 2.2
16th Jul 2006, 18:25
Yes it's an effort, but reading the previous 46 pages will give you everything you need to know in order to pass the whole of the selection process, including Pilapt.

An hour or so is not much to ask really...

EGAC_Ramper
16th Jul 2006, 18:59
Radioherd

Yeh certainly happy don't have to do the maths again.Well I wasn't offered any other dates other than the 9th so i guess maybe they filled up the previous one that your on.Just got to get on and book the accommodation and flights again! :sad:

Regards

Pazu888
17th Jul 2006, 09:10
Pazu, i said i've give my 2 bob and here it is:

Numeracy test: its easy if you know how... in my case it wasn't easy cos i failed it embaressingly enough! Its not that the questions are hard, its just the understanding them in the short amount of time thats the trick, i've got to re-take it at phase 3 in a couple weeks so i'll be practicing answering various questions against the clock, that would be my advice to anyone for this part (hopefully that will be enough to dust the cobwebs from the mathematical part of my brain anyway!)

Pilapt tests: as has been said infinately in this thread, there's basically nothing you can do to prepare for these, it's quite simply a battle between your mind and the computer.... just make sure your mind's at its peak when you take them on, thats all you can do.

Well done!

Thanks for the info, I'm just about to book my train ticket to go down there.

Roughly how many people were there on the day?

I'm seeing a mate in Bournemouth after the tests so I'll be able to unwind in a pub!

Good luck at stage 3, I desperately want to get through to that stage as you actually get to express your desire to do the course rather than a computer deciding your fate!

Pazu888
17th Jul 2006, 09:13
Also how long did it take for you to find out you passed?

Anyone else going down this Friday (21st)?

Also anyone off to Farnborough? I'll be there, will be cool to see the A380 at last.

Wannabe24
17th Jul 2006, 09:39
Don't forget PILAPT Prep (Yahoo or Google it). An invaluable tool that will at a minimum help you build up your confidence and concentration.

EGAC_Ramper
17th Jul 2006, 12:00
Also how long did it take for you to find out you passed?

Anyone else going down this Friday (21st)?

Also anyone off to Farnborough? I'll be there, will be cool to see the A380 at last.

Pazu,I was on the same course as Radioherd.

We actually had only 9 people on the day for selection which apparently was very small as they usually have 20-24 or so,good thing was we all got our testing done early and then could head off home.

as for the wait to find out?! Well we were told the emails would be in our inboxes by the evening and sure enough when i arrived back I had the email!:ok:

Good Luck for phase 2!

Regards

Pazu888
17th Jul 2006, 12:31
OK thanks, good luck for your Phase 3 :ok:

It would be awesome to actually meet some of you guys out in NZ if we get there...!!!

Radioherd
17th Jul 2006, 16:54
Yeah thats what i'm looking into the now aswell Ramper... decisions decisions, where to stay, how many nights.... lucky for us we have been well trained in multi-tasking activities lately;)

Did you get any confirmation of your acceptance of the date for stage 3 btw? Just that i sent an e-mail to "Daphne" as instructed saying i'd be there but i aint heard back, and it says on the online application that i'm "awaiting selection" for stage 3. (don't wanna book flights and co. then turn up unexpected!)

EGAC_Ramper
17th Jul 2006, 17:31
Radioherd,

nope aint got any confirmation back except a reply to my question about the finishing time,told it would finish by 17:30 at the latest so that leaves me time enough to get to Southampton for last flight saving any extra accommodation needs!:E

Regards

dragonfly6
17th Jul 2006, 17:35
Fly now,

the pilapt is a bit tricky, you can get practice software of the net from various places. I think pilapt will even sell you preparation packages. I think these sort of things give you some idea but to be honest probably do more to alleviate nerves than actually help you get a better score. I think its been said you cant really practice at it i dont think, the test was fairly comprehensive with alot of different exercises. They seem to be made to stretch your general cognitive capacity to a maximum and measure what that is as opposed to measure just how good you are at "pilapt", so i wouldnt worry about the specifics till you get there - in my opinion it wont make a difference, just dont go out and get hammered the night before, that will!

yes you have a sim check but thats phase 4 which obviously comes after two and three so id worry about those first. although the sim test seemed quite easy to me COMPARED WITH THE OTHER STAGES (i have to put that in caps because on pprune somone will post back and call you arrogant). all the advice on this thread is pretty helpful, and i dont think anyone can offer much more than whats already been said here and what is on the ctc website.

good luck my friend.

Radioherd
17th Jul 2006, 21:55
Well thats me booked into the holiday inn express for one night, handily i should make the return flight from southampton on the same day too... now i just hope Daphne has received my confirmation:ooh:

Where you thinking of staying Ramper? The holiday inn i'm at's handily placed half way between Dibden Manor and the Airport if your struggling.

Tally ho!

EGAC_Ramper
18th Jul 2006, 10:59
Got me flights booked Radioherd,good old "FlyMayBE!" lol over from belfast City.Unfortunately to get the cheapest means spending whole previous day in Southampton!:\
Still got to get me digs sorted which i must do today.

Cheers:ok:

Radioherd
18th Jul 2006, 17:20
Lol, yeah i opted for BA on the way down for fear of Flybe's dodgy reputation, altho it was actually cheaper with BA aswell so was a bit of a no brainer...

I'm in southampton for the best part of the day before too and may be hanging about a wee while before my return flight with (hopefully) Flybe.

As long as i make it to Dibden on time, thats all that really matters,

I'll let you know how i get on, hopefully there will be plenty of this::):}:O:E:ok:

FatboyTim
19th Jul 2006, 06:40
flynow

are u applying for the ATP scheme?? If so, I dont think there is a sim check, I think phase 4 for you is the AQC phase.

I think the phase 4 sim check is for wings cadets only.

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

FBT

Pazu888
19th Jul 2006, 11:34
Hi,

Anyone travelling to/from Bournemouth 21/07, the planned rail strike has now been called off.

roxi
19th Jul 2006, 11:56
Hi all, I am off to stage 3 26th July - looking forward to it.. Can anybody recommend the best hotel to stay in down there? I am looking at the Lyndhurst or Heather House? Anybody staying there for the night before the testing?

Cheers :)

Entropia
19th Jul 2006, 15:13
I would recommend Dale Farmhouse.

http://www.dalefarmhouse.co.uk/

Lovely place, cosy atmosphere, great english breakfast!

dyingforflying
20th Jul 2006, 07:58
I just passed phase 3!! I am very happy!!

inner
20th Jul 2006, 08:35
hoi,

i'm going to try the ctc BUT i've tried to fill in their application form. I still don't know what to write about "team-membership". I've never been involved in sporting club or whatsoever. So i really think this will decrease my chances. Did anybody have the same problem and how did you solve this?

grtz

akindofmagic
21st Jul 2006, 20:21
hoi,

i'm going to try the ctc BUT i've tried to fill in their application form. I still don't know what to write about "team-membership". I've never been involved in sporting club or whatsoever. So i really think this will decrease my chances. Did anybody have the same problem and how did you solve this?

grtz

Have you ever been a part of any committee or student council at school or at university? Or have you ever worked in a job that required you to work closely with other staff members? Being part of a team does not necessarily mean playing for the school rugby team. You just need to try and think of some times when you were a team player, whatever the situation.

hangar
21st Jul 2006, 20:50
:confused: Hi all
I was just wondering between all of you whom have applied, done the written part how long did it then take ctc to send you a reply of whether you get to the next stage in bournmouth its just im being very patient now and have been for over a month? Wish i could just recieve the e-mail to yes or no!

any suggestions as to what i should do?
or should i just wait?

cheers hangar ;)

Pazu888
21st Jul 2006, 23:12
Hi to everyone there today... Remi, Sconno, how did you get on? I got through! :)Hope everyone else there today got good news

EGAC_Ramper
22nd Jul 2006, 10:30
Congratulations Pazu! :ok:

RemotecUK
22nd Jul 2006, 10:54
Hi everyone, here is what I thought about the Pilapts...

Ive tried to remember all of the tests so sorry If I missed anyway. Ive rated them out of 10 for hardness with 10 being the hardest.

Hands
Identify if a person is holding a red circle or square in the stated hand e.g. "Left hand square". The people can be back to front, upside down or the correct orientation. It gets harded when they reverse left and right and reduce the time interval for identification. 8/10.

Pattern Identification
Identify shapes in like a pattern of other shapes. You have to count how many times each shape occurs and there are two panels to do it in. All done in a set amount of time. 7/10.

Flying Through Boxes
You get three goes at this and the aim is to improve each time. Reasonably difficult but not hard to improve upon on each go. 6/10.

Deviation Indicator
Keep the crosshair centred in the middle of the concentric circles. This is more difficult than it sounds as they change either the force pushing back on the joystick or the effect that force has. There is a trick to doing this - use slow steady movements and wait for a reaction before reacting again. At some points I found it impossible to center the damned thing despite pushing the joystick hard over. Tip: This can really make your arm ache so take it easy and have a break after each one. 8/10

Counting Excercise
I found this one of the hardest. You have to listen to a descreasing count e.g. 990, 985, 980 and then press the trigger when the sequence changes e.g. 980, 975, 969 <<-- Press Trigger. You then have to identify the new sequence the repeat the process e.g 980, 975, 969 [FIRE] 963, 957, 954 [FIRE], 951 and so on. This is all done in your head. 9/10.

Distractions/Concentration (cant remember proper name)
You are presented with a grid with colours down one side and shapes across the time. In that grid a shape will appear. If the shape for its given position matches the colour on the side and the shape on the top you have to click it. This isnt too hard. 6/10.

Shape Identification
The computer will say "Red Triangle". Loads of different coloured shapes will flash up. When you see a red triangle press the red button and press the number that corresponds to the number displayed in the shape. 5/10.

The Mother Of All Tests
At the end you have to do the following all at once.
- The Deviation Indicator.
- Counting Excercise
- Shape Identification Excercise
This is very hard. 10/10

After this you have been at it for around 1h15m. I make no excuses - I found them very very tough but I suppose thats the name of the game. Please please please make sure you read the instructions carefully before each one.

I also found that I was exhausted by the time I had driven home.

Radioherd
22nd Jul 2006, 17:14
Yeah congrats Pazu, when you off to Dibden?

1800-how'smyflying
23rd Jul 2006, 07:11
:confused: Hi all
I was just wondering between all of you whom have applied, done the written part how long did it then take ctc to send you a reply of whether you get to the next stage in bournmouth its just im being very patient now and have been for over a month? Wish i could just recieve the e-mail to yes or no!
any suggestions as to what i should do?
or should i just wait?
cheers hangar ;)

Hi Hanger,

I'm in the same boat as you, got an email saying everything was safely recieved just over a month ago, but no further word from CTC yet... Let us know when you hear, I'll do the same. Hopefully wont be much longer one way or another

fly now
23rd Jul 2006, 12:12
hi guys...
I just received another e-mail saying I passed and just waiting for the pilot assessment...
i hope that this week they gonna tel us a date, also because i heart that the next aqc is on september so....

i am just impatient as well...
but how are u getting prepared for the stage n 2...
i am doing math test and I q test...u?????

keep in touch
and crossed fingers
ciao!!!!!!!!!!!

Pazu888
23rd Jul 2006, 17:03
Yeah congrats Pazu, when you off to Dibden?

Cheers mate, the date they said was 2nd August. I am really hoping I can make it for that day, probably can.

Got to get revising for the interview...

squawkident.
23rd Jul 2006, 23:52
Hi, im coming down on the 4th August for stage 2 testing.
I'll be driving down from watford early that morning (friday) and if anyone needs a lift and fancies sharing the petrol and ride, let me know. Ill prob go down to the m25 to the m3 so if u live on the way holla at me.

See u there soon

S.I.

mambo15
24th Jul 2006, 19:55
Hi all,
I'm going to apply for the CTC cadet scheme shortly. Anybody has experience of translating French degrees/qualifications into their british equivalents? Or does CTC do that part? In particular, how do you translate the "série" and "mention" of a French baccalaureate, and an engineering diploma? Do you need to specify individual grades or just diplomas?

Cheers

Pazu888
25th Jul 2006, 12:34
Anyone who has passed stage 2, did you get detailed feedback (as well as the "you have passed" email)? If so, roughly how long did it take for this to come through?

Cheers

Sky Wave
25th Jul 2006, 13:57
No detailed feedback if you pass.

You just have to wait for the email telling you where and when stage 3 is.

SW

Pazu888
25th Jul 2006, 14:09
OK thanks, my email about stage 3 was waiting for me when I got home after my stage 2.

Would be really interesting to know exactly how I did in the PILAPT though...!

akindofmagic
25th Jul 2006, 16:05
At the end of the application process (i.e.after phase IV) I received an email with some feedback from the PILAPT and arithmetic tests. It just tells you in basic terms how you did on the tests, and tells you that there may be areas that will require attention throughout the training. It's not particularly detailed or useful feedback- the best feedback comes when you go for a meet and greet at Dibden before you go to NZ and have a one to one debrief with a member of the selection team.

Radioherd
25th Jul 2006, 17:01
Pazu, i did indeed receive this feedback of my pilapt results, telling me what areas i did well and what areas not so well etc, it took about 5 days if i remember correctly, ie, i got the e-mail on the wed after i did phase 2 on the fri...

EGAC_Ramper
25th Jul 2006, 17:03
Although it may be different as I'm doing the ATP side of things,after my phase 2 I recieved the PILAPT feedback within 5 days.

Cheers:ok:

DeeTee
25th Jul 2006, 17:12
Good Grief!! Well I read this whole thread with interest, and it seems the same questions are getting asked over again, with the same conspiracy theories being aired. Funnily enough I cannot believe it was really 6 years ago I went through the old ATP scheme, which has changed its name afew times since then. I luckily managed to get all the way through the same hoops you guys now seem to be jumping through. But, for what its worth, in only 6 years from finishing the ATP scheme I now spend my life looking out of the LHS window of a shiney new Airbus. Only got my LHS a few months ago. I suspect that it is only through CTC and this course that anyone could ever dream of going from nothing to Command of a medium jet in 6 years. Ladies and Gents, the loans and commitments all seem huge when you are at the wrong end of those 6 years, but from my position, they really are not that much.

Keep the faith,

Do the work,

Be yourself,

And remember, you are not the first to ever do this, and when you do get into the RHS of your first jet, then there is a fair chance that the LHS is occupied by someone like you as well, only 6 years down the line.

Blue Skies

DT

Pazu888
25th Jul 2006, 23:11
Thanks, sounds absolutely awesome.

Hope I get to that stage!

Me-Uk
26th Jul 2006, 08:00
Me too!!!! Although there's no doubt that things are starting to look more positive.

Good luck to everyone anyway.

duklaprague
26th Jul 2006, 12:28
help please! how best to answer the attributes of pilots of the future question on the written application??? cheers.

Pazu888
26th Jul 2006, 12:45
Just think about what it will take to pilot aircraft of the future, what sort of attributes you will (and currently) need, and relate that to yourself.

I found that one a bit tricky too.

Mister-Sheep
26th Jul 2006, 13:08
Hi everyone
Are you given a pen and paper for the maths part of stage 2 or is it purely in your head?
Cheers

Streety
26th Jul 2006, 13:18
You could start with 'the ability to think for oneself'...

Pazu888
26th Jul 2006, 14:05
Hi everyone
Are you given a pen and paper for the maths part of stage 2 or is it purely in your head?
cheers

Yes, the maths test itself is printed on paper and you get a pen, so you can do "workings out" on the paper itself.

Mister-Sheep
26th Jul 2006, 14:23
help please! how best to answer the attributes of pilots of the future question on the written application??? cheers.

I think that in that question they are essentially asking you if you have a realistic view of the job of a pilot, have you considered what they have to do and do you believe you would fit the profile. If you are still struggling with this then I suggest you read 'The Naked Pilot' by David Beaty, its a fantastic book, a real eye opener and quite chilling at times. It will give you an idea of what it is a pilot has to do.

Btw Cheers Pazu888

Mister-Sheep

FatboyTim
26th Jul 2006, 15:14

Please please, dont forget that copying answers word for word aimed at what the company want to see puts you into a difficult position, do you really know you have what it takes?? I'm not implying that you dont, I dont know you, but it is very much a 'think for yourself' excersize. What do you suspect would be important qualities on a flight deck and can you contribute to that?

Simply filling in the usual line of 'hard working, team orientated, career focused' etc etc etc wont exactly show that you know what youre talking about, lets face it, answers like that are given as obvious. Really think hard about how you could contribute and what qualities you have that you could bring to the working environment. Questions like this one arent simply a 'right or wrong' answer, its more of what do you think is important and CTC deciding if youre on the right track.

As I have said in the past, the selection isnt giving them the right answers and getting a pat on the head, its showing CTC who you are and what you can do and what attitude you have towards the job and them assessing you on it.

As Pazu888 and Streety said, its basically very much a think for yourself excersize, dont take the shortcut of trying to find out what the desired answers are and spitting them out onto your own application.

Good luck :ok:

FBT

raviolis
26th Jul 2006, 16:01
Just think about what it will take to pilot aircraft of the future, what sort of attributes you will (and currently) need, and relate that to yourself.

plenty of newspapers and snacks to use the tray of your A319 to its best performance !

:ok:

FatboyTim
26th Jul 2006, 16:09
now come on, we all know that those tables are used for making houses out of decks of cards and see who's house can withstand certain little manoeuvres!

Mister-Sheep
26th Jul 2006, 16:43
I have stage 2 on the 28th July. Anybody else?

Mister-Sheep

Pazu888
26th Jul 2006, 20:23
now come on, we all know that those tables are used for making houses out of decks of cards and see who's house can withstand certain little manoeuvres!

:) Haha... What an exciting life you Pilots lead!

I'm quite good at card houses, maybe I'll mention it in the interview...

cirrus17
27th Jul 2006, 15:44
found v good site that appears to cover all aspects of ctc life, training etc.....

www.cadetpilot.com (http://www.cadetpilot.com)

looks v useful:ok:

sicky
27th Jul 2006, 16:45
good find!!

Pazu888
27th Jul 2006, 17:28
Yeah good find... It all looks like a lot of fun

spaceman18
27th Jul 2006, 20:44
yeah that sites a good one, www.ctc19.com is pretty good too. maybe u can settle the big debate as to which is better, cadetpilot.com or ctc19.com.but despite what u see on there, u do work every so often out in NZ!!
Happy days.... hope u guys get a chance to go out there and survive the eye opener that is 'the outback' bar

NickS
28th Jul 2006, 08:22
Can I just ask what the "CP" identifier means. I've not seen that before.

MonarchA330
28th Jul 2006, 08:47
As far as Im aware, it stands for Cadet Pilot and is just the prefix for each course number.

M330

Lidd
28th Jul 2006, 15:01
Just completed the four questions bit of the cadet application. What other documentation do CTC require to be faxed to them along with the completed application, if any?

Cheers

Lidd.

oneip01
28th Jul 2006, 15:15
From memory you only need to fax back the two pages of questions and answers along with the fax covering page.

Sky Wave
28th Jul 2006, 16:09
If ATP they require the last two pages of your log book and a copy of your licence. But just do whatever is says on the application form.

FlightDeckDave
28th Jul 2006, 16:53
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I failed one section of the PILAPT tests in Phase 2 of my application back in January, and now luckily CTC have asked if I would like to resit the PILAPT tests. Now of course I want to be a pilot and I am jumping at the chance to retake the test and hopefully pass however I am slightly concerned as to whether this is just a way for CTC to make money and then fail me again at this stage or further down the line.

I am more than likely to go for as its what I want to do but I am just interested to see if anyone else has been or is in the same situation as me and are considering trying again, and if so does anyone know any statistics of people making it on to the course after failing at phase 2 first time round?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

sicky
28th Jul 2006, 16:57
Not sure on the statistics but i know people have done it. I'm just worried i make it through that stage, there's still a couple of more stages! However, i'm hoping to be invited to retry in september.

Does anybody know of anything you can do/purchase to practice multitasking? :bored:

bjkeates
28th Jul 2006, 17:17
As sicky said, there are plenty who have done it. Certainly if you're serious about wanting to get on the course, then go for it. If I remember correctly, one of the guys on my stage 3 day took stage 2 twice, and he's now out in Hamilton. It's certainly possible.

raviolis
28th Jul 2006, 19:05
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I failed one section of the PILAPT tests in Phase 2 of my application back in January, and now luckily CTC have asked if I would like to resit the PILAPT tests. Now of course I want to be a pilot and I am jumping at the chance to retake the test and hopefully pass however I am slightly concerned as to whether this is just a way for CTC to make money and then fail me again at this stage or further down the line.

are they asking you to pay over 170 quid again ????

sicky
28th Jul 2006, 20:01
You do have to pay each time you do stage 2 :(

BitMoreRightRudder
28th Jul 2006, 23:15
Dave I'd have another go. I remember thinking the same as you after I bombed out on stage two. My flying instructor at the time talked me into going for another bash and it was one of the better pieces of advice I received. Been flying jets for a year now. Do I still think about the extra £170 it cost? What do you think?!

Good Luck:ok:

bjkeates
29th Jul 2006, 01:23
The £170 and other expenses associated with travelling down might seem like a total annoyance and unfair to some; but if you really are that set on becoming an airline pilot and your heart is really in it, and you really want to be a part of CTC, definitely have another go at it.

If you pass, great - it was worth it! And if you make it all the way, believe me, that £170 or so is going to seem like a drop in the ocean compared to the £60k bond, £600+ insurance, £5000+ foundation course fee and (in my case anyway)the prospect of having to pay off your student loan from university on top of it all!

If you don't pass - of course, you're going to feel aggrieved at having blown another 170 notes. But if you really are dead set on entering the industry, and given CTC's reputation and employment prospects, would you have been prepared to give up and go through life thinking "what if?" It's an expensive "what if", but when you consider what might be if you then turn out to be successful - and also factor in what you might earn elsewhere if you're not - I'd say it's well worth it.

Go for it, and best of luck.

cparker
29th Jul 2006, 01:40
bjkeates has summed it up. It's about wanting to be part of CTC and what they offer.

It is interesting to hear people moaning about money spent on selection procedures. How else would you expect to be selected versus what you actually gain from the course?

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

BitMoreRightRudder
29th Jul 2006, 09:34
the £60k bond, £600+ insurance, £5000+ foundation course fee

:eek: It were just the £60k bond in my day! And easy gave us £5000 beer expenses! Times change I guess.

Mister-Sheep
30th Jul 2006, 22:41
Hi everyone.

I passed the stage 2 pilapt tests :) but they wanted me to retake the maths test when I go for stage 3. Could anybody who has done this before tell me, did they give you the same maths paper at stage 3 or a completely different one?
(bit of wishful thinking maybe?)

Cheers

Mister-Sheep

Radioherd
31st Jul 2006, 09:55
Yeah i'm taking the maths test again at stage 3 this wed, a guy that did the same thing last week said it's a different paper (as you would expect), but the main concern for me was that he said he took the test last thing in the afternoon (after both the group discussion and the interview).

In otherwords, when your brain aint gonna be at its freshest... i thought it would've made more sense to do it while others were getting thier interviews directly after lunch. maybe this guy was unlucky, i dunno, anyways i'll let you know what happens for me...

Mister-Sheep
31st Jul 2006, 15:10
Yeah that is quite worrying, im gonna make sure I know my maths much better this time!
Anyway, I would appreciate it if you let me know how it goes, mine is a week on wednesday. Thanks mate

Mister-Sheep

EGAC_Ramper
31st Jul 2006, 17:40
See you there Mister Sheep for phase 3,albeit I'm over for the Wings ATP scheme but we'll both be doing that same group/interview assessment!:ok:

Regards

french frog
1st Aug 2006, 08:02
Why not reapplying?

By this official way you will be sure of the answer,
or give them directly a call :-)

Good luck
Med

docash1983
1st Aug 2006, 10:16
Hi guys
I was wondering how CTC decide whether to bar people from re-applying? I understand that the tests are designed to identify the most likely individuals who will pass the training, but this is something that worries me greatly. I am finshing off my degree and then want to apply for the CTC scheme. However do any of you know how they work out whether you pass or fail? for example must you answer 40 out of 80 maths questions in say 5 mins etc etc. Any info would be much appreciated, and to all of you off to CTC for phases 2 and 3 i wish you all the very best of luck.
thanks
Ashley

Pazu888
1st Aug 2006, 10:32
Hi guys
I was wondering how CTC decide whether to bar people from re-applying? I understand that the tests are designed to identify the most likely individuals who will pass the training, but this is something that worries me greatly. I am finshing off my degree and then want to apply for the CTC scheme. However do any of you know how they work out whether you pass or fail? for example must you answer 40 out of 80 maths questions in say 5 mins etc etc. Any info would be much appreciated, and to all of you off to CTC for phases 2 and 3 i wish you all the very best of luck.
thanks
Ashley

I think this is roughly how it is done:

Maths Test - Basic pass mark, 15 questions in 15 minutes, you must score at least xx. I heard that the pass mark was 12 or over.

PILAPT - This is designed to test lots of different skills ie. motor/coordination, coping with multiple types of incoming information, concentration etc. Generally though it seems to be about improving as you go. You are given a score for most of the individual tests, and you get to try most (though not all) of them 3 times in a row, the idea being to adapt and improve. Like many people have said, there is not much you can do to "practice" for this.

Presumably for the PILAPT, the scores are fed directly into a computer system that analyses how you have done and genrates a pass/fail for each test, as they e-mail you with the result quite quickly (same day).

Hope that helps, good luck for when you apply

Mister-Sheep
1st Aug 2006, 12:15
See you there Mister Sheep for phase 3,albeit I'm over for the Wings ATP scheme but we'll both be doing that same group/interview assessment!:ok:

Regards

Excellent see ya there!

danielplainview
1st Aug 2006, 14:12
Hello everyone.
I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

Just wondering what exactly happens at stage 3. Is it two group exercises and an interview? Is it a problem if you have little flying experience (even for the Wings program?)

Thanks

bjkeates
1st Aug 2006, 14:55
Nope, it's not a problem if you have no flying experience, you are not disadvantaged. Your motivation is far more important. My experience is limited to half an hour in a Cessna 150 and a couple of minutes doing some turns in a T-6 Havard and I'm off to NZ tomorrow.

You are correct about Phase 3 - two group exercises and an interview.

sicky
1st Aug 2006, 15:32
I just got invited to re-apply, so have replied saying i'm up for a bit of that (not in those words :p)

Just need to find a way to improve the back end of the pilapt

danielplainview
1st Aug 2006, 15:47
thanks bjkeates

good luck in NZ - just wondering, the group excercises. I heard that one involves talking about issues in the news or whatever, correct? Is the other one like "you are on a desert island and you can only take two chickens and a can opener..." (you know the type)

Have a nice first class flight to NZ!

FlightDeckDave
1st Aug 2006, 20:02
Hey guys,

Bit of a hypothetical question here - if I do manage to pass phase 2 at 2nd attempt, then pass phase 3 and then phase 4 and the medical.... Do you know if CTC are keen to take students on asap or can you postpone it for say 6-9months if i was to go travelling around the globe? Not that I wouldn't want to get flying straight away but I have the feeling that if I completed the course and had a £60 grand debt, there wouldn't be much left for backpacking! Now I'm sure some of you will say why don't you wait until you come back and apply to CTC then, however as I am being given the opportunity to resit phase 2 with dates only being in Aug or Sept, I wouldn't want to jeapodise my chances of not getting another go at it, and they could change the reapplication process.

And Sicky are you resiting phase 2 and if so do you know when? I think i might go for August, I also need to improve the back end of the pilapt test