PDA

View Full Version : From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

stickandrudderman
5th May 2007, 16:14
Well done you!
Now you can go off and start the real learning process!
Congratulations:D

GonTek
5th May 2007, 17:29
Just a quick line to say well done for keeping this thread going Lee.

Hope the world is treating you better than of late.

Safe flying

Gontek:)

Miraz
6th May 2007, 10:01
Woohoo....tail dragger solo today after 3 flights and 2.5 hours, followed by a damn near perfect sunset - just beautiful.

Perma-grin now firmly in place...seems a shame to have to go to the office tomorrow :)

kookabat
6th May 2007, 12:24
Took me about 5 hours in the Citabria to solo. Beat the pants off me Mr Miraz!!

Congrats! When dya wanna go for a burn with me?? :} :ok:

michaelthewannabe
12th May 2007, 16:45
Hi everybody.

Well, it would appear I'm joining this club! After five consecutive weather cancellations, I finally got my second lesson in (the first was a jolly in Cornwall nearly a year ago).

successfully achieved: primary and secondary effects of controls

must pay more attention to: getting a feel for using the rudder to maintain balance and compensate for things inducing yaw (like power changes). I just don't "get" it yet: unlike elevator, aileron and power, it's not intuitive for me.

For the full blow-by-blow account, see the blog: http://mp-technical.com/ftd/?cat=1

cheers,
mtw

mazzy1026
14th May 2007, 07:55
Why have I missed these posts! :\

Firstly Woot - very well done. Your first passenger will bring it all home :D

Tek - thanks mate - things are getting better thanks, would still like to be flying more but now I am in my second year, I am managing to keep current and still find victims. Hope all is well with you ;)

Kook - you can ask me that either when I go to Aus or you come here :p

Mike - trust me, in a few weeks time you'll look back at the post you made and wonder why the hell you asked such a question. I did that all the way through the PPL, right from wondering how to say "Golf Sierra Alpha goodbye" all the way to imagining what it must be like to fly a plane for 3 hours by yourself. Fear not, they are all good questions :8

Hope you are all doing good - time is flying :)

Best regards
Lee :ok:

michaelthewannabe
15th May 2007, 07:08
Had my first lesson yesterday with Fly-in-Spain in Jerez. Revised effects of controls, then moved on to straight-and-level flight. Took a bit of practice to maintain attitude and re-trim when lowering/raising 10 degree flap, but nothing in the air was especially difficult - until it was time to level off from the descent into the zone at 1000ft, and everything got waaay too fast and bumpy for my brain... shortly followed by "I have control" in my headset.

The most difficult thing, perversely, is taxying! I think there's something funny about the shape of my feet that makes it difficult to apply enough force on the toe brakes, so any attempt at braking is usually accompanied by total loss of directional control...

I hope that I'll figure out a technique that works. Back in the sky this afternoon!

Lister Noble
15th May 2007, 12:11
Initially,I had great problems keeping straight on the runway when taxiing,I even tried using the yoke as steering wheel!
Then they let me play about taxiing for 20 mins or so, when they were not busy,and that cracked it.
Best thing was they didn't charge me!
Same as the taildragger course,first of all lots of over input with controls and then suddenley you get it,or most of it;)
Good luck
Lister:)

michaelthewannabe
15th May 2007, 17:34
Then they let me play about taxiing for 20 mins or so, when they were not busy,and that cracked it.

That's a very smart idea. Might try that one if I'm still having trouble after another couple of lessons.

Had another lesson today, and the taxying is coming a little more easily now (but not easily enough for the instructor to give me control anywhere near the other parked aircraft, after we landed!). Climbing and descending is all going to plan, and 20 degree turns too. All that lies between me and pilothood is... a heap of overconfidence after today's great lesson to embarrass myself with in front of the CFI, tomorrow :}

http://mp-technical.com/ftd/?cat=1

Good luck and happy flying, everybody.

mtw

michaelthewannabe
17th May 2007, 07:19
Well it turned out that my lesson yesterday wasn't with the CFI after all, but a different German instructor. I now understand some of the comments that people have made on other threads about the lack of English fluency getting in the way of effective instructing at Fly-in-Spain. Well, there's nothing I can do about it other than make the best of it. And I did learn a lot yesterday!

The lesson was extremely demanding, and it was my first exploration of rudder co-ordination. At last, I am starting to understand the Great Mystery of the Rudder (bear in mind that I started my flying on flexwing microlights!). I'm getting it right a little over half the time - but I'm finding it very difficult, especially since the response is very very asymmetric. Left rudder never needs more than a feather-light dab, and right rudder needs constant pressure with a hefty shove if I want to actually bank in that direction. I understand that the propellor slipstream introduces some bias, but do you think that's normal for a C172 at moderate power settings?

The other problem yesterday was nausea from the sharp banking exercise that we started the lesson with. It wasn't incapacitating, but once it had started it never really went away, and it was extremely distracting and uncomfortable. It was all very hard work.

And now, it's time to do it all over again! Happy flying.

mtw

mazzy1026
17th May 2007, 08:40
Left rudder never needs more than a feather-light dab, and right rudder needs constant pressure with a hefty shove if I want to actually bank in that direction. I understand that the propellor slipstream introduces some bias, but do you think that's normal for a C172 at moderate power settings?

Correct - The propellor will generate a slipstream that provides constant airflow on the left side of the tail, causing the nose to want to swing to the left, and the tail out to the right. To counteract this, you need right rudder. The higher the RPM (I.e. when your in a climb or want to go around etc) the more right rudder you need to keep the aircraft in balance. You will also notice this the other way round - if you chop the power for a descent, then the nose will swing gently to the right, and inertia causes it to go too far if you like, so here we need left rudder. It can be quite difficult on the ground when starting the takeoff run, especially in Cessna's as the rudder works on a spring and is not directly linked like it is in Pipers.

One more thing - next time you are doing the walk-around, stand in front of the spinner and notice how the engine is 'off-set'. This means that the engine is mounted in such a way as it points to the right (looking from the cockpit). This is again to counteract the 'pull' to the left when you are flying!

Hope that helps - and remember, have a look at the slip indicator (Turn Coordinator) - ball to the right means right rudder needed and so on.....

michaelthewannabe
17th May 2007, 12:41
Thanks for that, Lee! All makes sense.

Had another good lesson today. This instructor is demanding, not great at communicating, and sometimes a little presumptious - but what he teaches is solid gold. I still didn't quite have the rudder co-ordination sorted, so we did a bit more of the banking exercise. Turns out that I hadn't been looking at the correct thing at all, when I was doing it before, which was why it was going wrong! After a bit of discussion with the instructor, to try to understand what I was doing wrong, everything fell into place. Now, I can make co-ordinated turns! A very rewarding outcome.

The remainder of the lesson was dedicated to identifying attitudes visually, instead of by reference to the instruments. It makes flying so much easier to know 80 knots straight and level, 100 knots 50 fpm descent, 70 knots climb, etc. - by the view instead of the dials. Very, very helpful.

So we had an extremely circuitous route in the zone, with various holds, until we finally got onto approach. Holding 100 knots, 1000 ft and making the manoeuvres is fairly easy now. On short final, the instructor grabbed control, and made what turned out to be an extremely hairy crosswind landing. I have a hunch it was outside the limits. Oh well, I'm still alive.

More tomorrow...

michaelthewannabe
6th Jun 2007, 17:57
Been a little while since the last update - but it's all good! Had a couple of lessons at Oxford since I came back from Spain, and yesterday, it was my first time in the circuit.

This is quite hard! I haven't yet managed to free up enough brainpower from trying to keep the aeroplane pointing in the right direction, to be able to concentrate on getting the round-out right. It's very, very intense...

http://mp-technical.com/ftd/?cat=1

But got plenty of lessons booked over the next couple of weeks, so hopefully things will fall into place with the concentrated practice.

happy landings...

mtw

Miraz
5th Jul 2007, 06:11
This thread has been quiet for a while, so I'll throw in an update.

I took a month off work between jobs in the hope of getting in a reasonable amount of flying....as can be expected the weather gods decided to break a ten year drought and the weather has been terrible. Still I've managed to squeeze in a few hours between storms which have been going reasonably well.

Spent a couple of hours over the last two days getting a basic introduction to instrument flight which is the last mandatory requirement before I can attempt the GFPT flight test which will allow me to carry passengers within the training area.

Conditions were a little interesting this morning - the TAF sorta speaks for itself really.

CAMDEN YSCN05:02 UTC, 05/07/2007TAF YSCN 050502Z 05061827025G40KT CAVOKFM12 25015G25KT CAVOKRMK FM06 MOD/SEV TURB BLW 5000FT TILL 12FM12 MOD TURB BLW 5000FTT 12 09 07 07 Q 998 1000 1002 100405:43 UTC, 05/07/2007SPECI YSCN 050431Z AUTO 28025G41KT 9999NDV // ////// 14/01 Q0997 RMK RF00.0/000.0

Due to the conditions we opted to leave the Citabria in the shed and take a Warrior up instead and spent a bit over an hour under the hood being bounced around all over the place.

I'm finding the instrument flight tricky - it is really an exercise in spinning plates, too much time spent looking at any one thing results in lots of crockery getting away from you. It was trickier today than normal as the DI was U/S, the compass was out of sight when wearing the hood and the AH didn't seem happy either.

If the weather calms down a bit then I'm hoping to get another flight in tomorrow, then back to work again next week.

kookabat
5th Jul 2007, 11:51
'Allo Miraz. Good to run into you out at CN the other day... some interesting winds aloft that day!! And not forecast to get any better for the next few days either... I was crewing on a job in an R44 this afternoon and oh boy did we get whalloped. 45kt on the nose at one point; ludicrous.
Meanwhile... I should be signed off for basic aerobatics (in said Citabria) in the next few weeks. Woohoo!

i.dingbat
6th Jul 2007, 05:00
Kookabat - aerobatics endorsement? Now that makes me jealous.

Miraz - good choice of aircraft and instructor. I see there are now *two* orange Citabrias there.

I've been absent for the last few months for reasons largely outside my control, but looking to slot in a few lessons in August. I was one area solo away from sitting my GFPT, so hopefully I haven't forgotten everything I learnt.

I did borrow a 182 with a mate a couple of weeks ago and we flew out to Cootamundra for a pie. We picked the one perfect cloudless calm day in weeks of rain and wind so feel pretty lucky!

http://www.iainhosking.com/images/2007/06/23/warragamba_20070623.jpg

Miraz
6th Jul 2007, 05:19
Woohoo - passed the GFPT this morning!

One of the orange Citabria's is a stand-in whilst the blue one is offline.

kookabat
7th Jul 2007, 00:21
Noice work Geoff!!!
Said blue Citabria is getting some sort of mod on the wings from what I hear. This is good because it means they won't fall off in a loop.... :ok:

Back out there in a week or so... stall turns here I come! :8:ooh::}

i.dingbat
7th Jul 2007, 07:11
Congratulations Miraz! :ok::ok:

Hope to see you out there one day. Meanwhile, enjoy the navs.

Cheers

Dingbat

thirtysomething
7th Jul 2007, 11:39
Hi ,

Not knowing one flying school from the other , take my reccomendation as being from somebody slightly " naive " in terms of how things should be done . That being said I am very glad to have chosen FIS , Jerez , which despite some " charms " does what it says on the tin in a fairly relaxed manner with instuction that for me has been clear ( although you do have to push a little to get a good brief before getting in the plane which i think is pretty much a common complaint in many schools ) . I just completed my first 13 hours in 10 days and this morning managed an entire flight from start to finish including the landing ( which i was a bit apprehensive about ) :) :) , such a huge confidence boost . I cant claim any great natural ability since on my first take off a week a go i seemed determined to give it a bootful of rudder that wanted us of the runway !

They like a lot of flight schools are tight for instructors but very positively i have seen some people come to get " checked " and despite their existing team going flat out ( there have been some instructors depart recently ) they are not filling empty slots with anybody and have told us they would rather not fly than send us with somebody they werent entirely happy about.

So far i can only pass the advice to people to watch the time of year when you come here, FTE next door are well behind due to rain for the months of March / April and now its hot and bumpy ( im told if i can manage this ill manage most things ). What this has meant there was a " rush " to get the morning slots before it became too bumpy for people in their early hours with the odd sortie coming back in because it was impossible to learn. Then in the afternoon some of the guys who would have gone solo if it were calm had to take instructors with them ( as insurance I guess )

The other thing I would say to anybody whos looking at attractive adverts to do your PPL in the sun in 3 weeks ( from some flight schools in Florida in particular ) , seems to me that it would be extremely hard work esp if you were doing exams aswell. I reckon with the exams ill be done ( all things going well :) in about six weeks which i have allowed ( gives me the odd day off which is for me important to assimilate and come to grips with so many new experiences).

I cant believe im sitting here typing this , for me this is a childhood dream come true and very often I have to pinch myself. Did I really do the lot this morning , do an echo VFR departure , communicate with Seville approach , practice landing procedures, go back to Jerez tower and rejoin the circuit and pull of an / approach landing that didnt have the instructor turn pale ( although I did go to hold off a little high ) ?? :) :)

Yup , and i get to have another go at it tommorrow ,, now for Air Law :sad: .

Wibblemonster
9th Jul 2007, 09:42
Went Solo in the circuit for the first time yesterday at Newcastle flying school - amazing feeling, still on a high today :}

big thanks to my instructor too

NT42
10th Jul 2007, 07:13
Get in Wibble, I'm chuffed for ya! We'll have to have a chat soon and you can tell me all about it! Well done!

What's the crack with "an instructor" going to the airlines, too? I'm missing everything over here!

And lee, sorry about the lack of communication. What's yer skype address, I'll give you a buzz sometime and tell you everything you need to know about it over here!

Wibblemonster
10th Jul 2007, 11:22
Cheers John, I'll give you the full scoop on MSN soon :ok:

definitly one of the best experiences in life so far! i wasn't singing, I was just grinning from ear to ear , and still am i might add!

can't wait for my next lesson, the idea of going out of the zone on my own is a bit nerve wracking though.. (thankfully not for a while yet) :}

thirtysomething
15th Jul 2007, 10:56
Hi,

I have now aquired 24 hours " block time " in FIS, jerez. ( To me the idea of logging block time when at a commercial airport seems slightly silly given the taxi times but i digress ). I did 12 landings in relatively calm winds and just before I started to get comfortable with it i was moved to an afternoon slot to start landing in cross winds which have me struggling a little bit. The average wind in the afternoon here seems to be 90 degrees off at about 12-15 knots. For two sessions now I have just told the instructor i wanted to stop after 5 or 6 circuits. Each time I have walked away from the school feeling slightly despondant questioning my abilities. The entire circuit and approach is fine , but crossing the threshold seems to precipitate a lot of huffing and puffing from the instructor. On your course did you find cross winds tricky ? What did you learn to use , crabbed or wing down ??

aviator84
15th Jul 2007, 12:48
i must admit circuits can become quite tedious and tiring, ive done about 6 lots of 5/6 takeoffs per session and i found 5 was more than enough, around half of those where crosswind landings and these are what really tired me out afterwards & some days as you said i would walk away feeling quite despondant about my abilities in handling the ac in a crosswind landing, its a bit of a challenge crabbing her in then straightening up before touchown and throwing some into wind aileron in but you do feel accomplished when you can pull it off and the Instructor is happy enough, but any landing you can walk away from is a good one as they say :D, keep at it,

Bahn-Jeaux
15th Jul 2007, 14:21
Havnt posted for a while and this years flying has been sporadic to say the least.
Was just about ready for my test at christmas but weather, work and instructor illness intervened to make sure that the undercarriage stayed firmly on the ground.

Sooo, with only 5 hours flying this year which included a couple of hours revision work, I took my test yesterday (sat 14th).

Passed, ..........:)

Wibblemonster
16th Jul 2007, 08:56
congrats fella!! :D

mazzy1026
16th Jul 2007, 12:01
Well, what good news I see from so many posts!

Miraz - congratulations mate, enjoy the buzz, it never wears off ;)

Wibble - same to you, don't forget it's more dangerous driving home, when your mind is still "up there"!

JWF - how offended :{
Just kidding mate - I'm on [email protected] (anyone can add me) :p

BJ - Good work - nice to get it done isn't it, especially when it's not been plain sailing all the way (like most things in life).

In 2 days time, this thread becomes 3 years old - I am still well chuffed - thanks guys.

The next miracle is me getting an FI rating/CPL - anyone got a spare 25k so I can follow my dreams? Looks like I am stuck in a desk job the rest of my life :{

Have fun all and safe flying (especially you kook ;))

NT42
22nd Jul 2007, 02:58
Mazzy, is it instructing you're wanting as your career, or airlines after a little bit instructing? CTC may well be an option if it's the latter you're aiming towards.

Chat soon about it all.

mazzy1026
23rd Jul 2007, 08:46
JW - 99% towards instructing (proper flying :p;):ok:)

CTC is very a very tempting goal, but months away with no job, won't pay the mortgage :{

Miraz
7th Aug 2007, 09:06
Another update...

First NavEx over the weekend in a reasonably windy conditions - flew a simple box Camden->Mittagong->Goulburn->Crookwell->Camden without many problems. Mainly just enjoyed flying outside the local training area for a change - the final leg back over the mountains was all downwind which meant that the PA28 was making >150kt GS @ 7500'

My wife decided to hitch a lift in the back with a camera, it's a good feeling to have someone volunteer to ride in a plane that you are flying...going to try to squeeze in another couple of flights before heading over to Europe for a month.

http://www.miraz.com/gallery/d/5027-3/IMGP2112.JPG
http://www.miraz.com/gallery/d/5049-2/IMGP2119.JPG

kookabat
7th Aug 2007, 13:11
Ahh Miraz!! First nav always fun. That wasn't Sunday was it? We were supposed to go from Camden up to a place near Newcastle (one of three fixed wing and two helis) but forecast 35kt gusty crosswinds put paid to that... no fun in a taildragger. We stayed on the ground!!

Miraz
7th Aug 2007, 13:26
Yup - was a little windy wasn't it? I'd originally booked a Citabria, but changed it for the PA28 when I saw the forecast.

Landed on the rough grass strip at Goulburn - headwind was so strong that we stopped within a couple of plane lengths, and needed 1800rpm to taxi the rest of the way up the runway.

There were a few hardy souls doing x-wind circuits in the Citabrias at Camden though....

i.dingbat
8th Aug 2007, 07:35
Hey Kookabat and Miraz, I passed my GFPT today :}

http:///www.iainhosking.com/images/2007/08/02/citabria_20070802_2_600x400.jpg
(in MIU, though the photo above was taken last Thursday, and isn't me)

Now I have to work out how I can afford the navs :hmm:

Miraz
8th Aug 2007, 08:08
Congrats - keep telling yourself that you need to get the navs out of the way before summer comes along....

kookabat
8th Aug 2007, 08:58
Awesome news Iain!

Who'll be your first pax?? ;)

The only problem with the navs... they cost more because you're now doing 2-3 hrs in one hit. So nice to go for a fly out of the training area though.

(What's Miffy like to fly?? That's what we were intending to take to Newcastle... apparently she has shall we say 'character'... ;))

i.dingbat
9th Aug 2007, 05:08
Kookabat

I hadn't flown in Miffy at all till yesterday, but it was fine. It felt very different from RRW (for which I have a soft spot), and even from WKM. I liked the retro feel of the single channel radio.

It behaved fine in the stall with no apparent tendency to drop a wing. We didn't do a spin recovery as it has wooden wings.

Any difficulty I had keeping it straight on the runway I will put down to a combination of exam nerves and a developing crosswind whose strength I didn't fully recognise till the last couple of circuits...

My 9 year old son is very keen to come with me on my next flight, but I suspect his mother may be slightly less keen. However, I believe he can legally occupy a Warrior back seat during a navex, which should be OK all round.

Jools66
10th Aug 2007, 14:57
At last, a thread for people like me with limited experience!! Woo hoo!!

I had my first lesson at Fly-in-Spain in Jerez last week, and it was everything I´d hoped it would be and more. At the moment I can only afford one lesson a month, but my instructor assured me that these hours are all logged towards my 45 min hours for the PPL, regardless of how long it takes. I just can´t wait to get back in the skies again! My instructor was great, really laid back, and I was surprised at how often (and how soon after taking off) he gave me control. I have to admit it was scary the first few seconds but once I realised that the plane would do what I told it to do I relaxed and really enjoyed myself. I also had a problem with the foot brake, I´ll make sure my seat´s further forward next time as even for the rudder controls I was really using a lot of pressure, maybe this will help.

Anyway, back to reading the rest of this thread. Ié read the first 10 pages and then skipped to the last 10 so now it´s time to join them up and read the middle! I´ll be a regular reader of this one now I´ve found it, I´ve always felt a bit intimiated when reading some of the others, like I´m not entitled to comment, but this one´s great!

Happy flying everyone!!

Lister Noble
10th Aug 2007, 18:36
Welcome aboard Jools,
We were all where you are at some time, many of us including me not that long ago.
This forum is great because you can ask what may seem a silly or trivial question to you, but you will not get too many sarcastic or bulls**t replies.
Good luck.

Jools66
11th Aug 2007, 19:20
Thanks Lister. I do have one question - what exactly are the exams involved and at what stages will I have to do them? I know air law is one of them, but what are the others and what are the best books to buy to study for them? Sorry, but none of my friends over here are interested in flying and Jerez is a 3 hour drive away so I can´t exactly pop in and ask!

Miraz
12th Aug 2007, 12:32
Managed to get out for my second nav flight today....in a rash moment of extravagance I decided to combine the CSU endorsement with the nav training.

So today's aircraft was a shiny new C182T complete with a G1000 and all the associated toys. I spent the first half of the flight trying to get my head around the differences, but it started to make sense for the return flight.

I learnt that autopilots and all the other gubbins makes life much easier, but ultimately felt that I was cheating and that I would have learnt more by flying something a little less automated.

The nav work itself has been simpler than I anticipated thus far - not sure how long this will last though...

Pics from today can be found here (http://www.miraz.com/gallery/v/flying/training/Navex2/)

mazzy1026
16th Aug 2007, 08:58
Iain - well done mate, top man! ;)

Jools - welcome aboard, always glad to see new diary'ites! :}

Off the top of my head (it does seem a while ago now!) the exams are as follows (I'll put them in the order at which I think you should take them - this is just in my opinion tho, others may advise otherwise):

Air Law
Meteorology
Human Performance
Aircraft Tech / Principles of Flight
Navigation
Radio TelephonyI took my RT exam too soon and came out with a rather large headache - I passed it, but would have done it easier had I gained more experience first. Air Law is one that you may find a little dull, but it is important, regardless of what anyone tells you. As you do more flying, you'll be able to relate to the theory a lot more. The above list may also depend on club requirements, so have a good chat with your instructor.

All the best
Maz :ok:

BOLYBUILDER
17th Aug 2007, 21:37
Hi,

I'm new to this thread, but have followed your progress Mazzy.

I am curently training for an NPPL with an organisation in the north west, with a branch in the Isle of man, I have a question regarding solo or dual flying. I am now into the solo stages of my training and have been informed that even when I fly solo I will be charged dual hire for the a/c, "As I am still being Supervised". Is this the norm? Has anyone elso come across this situation? I would welcome your feedback

Bahn-Jeaux
18th Aug 2007, 02:23
You are charged the dual rate because you are flying on your instructors licence.
If you were due to fly a solo nav ex for example but no instructor was available, you would not be able to do it for the above reason, hence the dual rate.

Miraz
18th Aug 2007, 03:36
This varies from school to school - I paid the solo rate whenever the instructor was not in the aircraft - even for the first few solo circuits

JP1
18th Aug 2007, 18:20
BB,

The other way to look at it is that a (very low paid) instructor who only gets paid for actual flying time (in general), and has given may hours in unpaid briefings, before and after each flight, is recouping some remuneration for his/her "total" efforts in enabling you to reach your goal.

Looked at it from that perspective, and realising how much "advice" has been given when you near the end of the course, I think you will not begrude paying a dual rate (not that I am implying that is the case).

And no I am not an instructor.

BOLYBUILDER
19th Aug 2007, 11:07
Hi,

JPi, the instructors are employed by the company and get paid regardless of there instructing time. I believe they also have other flying duties.

I don't begrudge paying (thats not the point of this debate), particularly if it was going to the instuctors, which its not directly.

Bahn-Jeaux,

I understand what you are saying, but not all flying schools adopt this practice, as apart from Miraz, I am aware of others who have been charged solo rate for EX14.

I guess this could be another point to check with your flying school before you sign up as there seems to be no consistency.

Lister Noble
19th Aug 2007, 13:58
Until you pass all your tests and get the licence I think you will pay for dual as you are flying under the instructors supervision.
This applied to me and even when I had my licence I paid dual for taildragger conversion until signed off.
Seems fair enough to me as the instructor is responsible for you until you are fully qualified.

Jools66
19th Aug 2007, 14:12
Thanks Mazzy for the advice. Better get studying! I must admit navigation concerns me and also radion telephony, for example when to switch frequencies and talk to other ATCs, I watched my instructor doing this all the time on my lesson but was so caught up in the excitement of it all that I didn´t think to question him. It seemed almost as soon as we had levelled out after take off he switched from Jerez to Seville; as they are quite close I suppose you would have to but it´s knowing when that worries me. Having said that, I´ve only had one lesson so I suppose I´ll be taught all that in time.

Anyway, counting down to my next lesson, two weeks to go, going to start writing down all my questions so I don´t forget them this time!

:confused:

JP1
19th Aug 2007, 17:54
BB,

I think generally (in the UK) you will find that solo time is always at a dual rate. I am sure there are exceptions, but in these cases I'm pretty sure that the school has just added the cost elsewhere, either on the cost of the dual trips or shorter briefing time on the ground. I know some clubs book 1 hour flying slots as a 1.5 hr slot. My club is 2 hours, so technically for every 1 hour flight there is also a 1 hour briefing.

I would forget about whether the solo time is charged at the dual rate, and look at the total cost that your club is going to charge for the PPL course. One cost that you need to consider is landing fee. Are you going to be charged one?

Cabair at Blackbushe charge for landing at £10 a go and £3.30 (when I looked) for a touch and go.

I am just at the end of my PPL, hoping to do the skills test in a week or two. But looking at my log book, I have done 60 full stop landings and 166 touch and go's (in 50 hours of training). At Blackbushe that would have been an additional cost of £1148.

Good luck
JP1

norton2005
19th Aug 2007, 18:45
Just a quick question to everyone hear, Im 24 hours into my ppl course nw and i didnt go solo til da 19/20th hour. An i was wondering, is that longer than what you would expect?

christimson
20th Aug 2007, 10:27
I'm on 13 hours. I've now had 4 lessons of circuits and just when I think I'm starting to get the hang on it I had a lesson with a 15kt cross wind. I was all over the place and I feel like a noob again. I really can't see me soloing for many hours yet. :ugh:

PompeyPaul
20th Aug 2007, 12:48
I always thought I learnt to fly in about 3 hours. It just needed 20 hours previous to that to get there :)

I do think that there is to much emphasis placed on solo. I actually prefer flying with an instructor. Every hour I fly solo, I get worse more slowly. Every hour dual, my flying improves :ok:

Whirlybird
20th Aug 2007, 12:51
It took me 48 hours to go solo. :{ At the time I thought that I must be the worst pilot in the history of aviation. :(

But the following year, hiring aircraft with a friend and flying off to different places most weekends, taking a two-day trip to Cornwall, planning my first trip abroad, etc etc, it really didn't matter in the least. And it doesn't. Stop worrying.

Lister Noble
20th Aug 2007, 13:31
Without checking I think it took me around 19 hours.
It isn't a race and because yo do it in 10 hours or less doesn't automatically mean you are going to be a good pilot.
Enjoy your flying.

PompeyPaul
20th Aug 2007, 15:11
flying off to different places most weekends
What year was that ? What I wouldn't give for VFR flying weather every weekend!

WALSue
20th Aug 2007, 16:11
My lessons are going from bad to worse :ugh:
Due to the bad weather and the fact that its a small flying school there was a couple of months between my 4th and 5th lessons so I was told that the 5th lesson would be spent as a 'recap' lesson.

Now my instructor has left - no doubt my 6th lesson will be a start from scratch type thing.

Is someone trying to tell me something!!

michaelthewannabe
20th Aug 2007, 19:51
I must admit navigation concerns me and also radion telephony, for example when to switch frequencies and talk to other ATCs, I watched my instructor doing this all the time on my lesson but was so caught up in the excitement of it all that I didn´t think to question him. It seemed almost as soon as we had levelled out after take off he switched from Jerez to Seville; as they are quite close I suppose you would have to but it´s knowing when that worries me.

hey joolz.

You'll probably find that the point at which your instructor changes from Jerez to Seville is at VRP Echo (a little town with a new motorway going near it, to the east of the airport) or VRP Whiskey (an obscure little hill to the west of the airport) - which are the points at which VFR traffic is permitted to leave and enter the Jerez airport airspace. This is because Jerez only covers the airport airspace and the instrument approaches, whereas Seville provides a radar service for the whole surrounding area.

I think it was on about my fourth or fifth lesson there that I started to understand this, change the frequency myself and generally do all the procedures for getting in and out of Jerez...

good luck! And have fun.

Whirlybird
20th Aug 2007, 20:40
What year was that ? What I wouldn't give for VFR flying weather every weekend!

1998. And I exaggerate slightly. Or rather, I didn't mention the weekend we got stranded in Blackpool due to a line of thunderstorms from Liverpool to Leeds, or the day we gave up the idea of getting to the Isle of Man due to unforecast sea mist, or the times we went from Welshpool to Shobdon or Sleap yet again since we didn't think we'd manage any further, or...etc etc.

high-hopes
21st Aug 2007, 16:26
Now my instructor has left - no doubt my 6th lesson will be a start from scratch type thing.

Is someone trying to tell me something!!

Sue

all part of the game unfortunately.

I started with a 5 hour package and by the 5th lesson I was with an instructor who was sending texts to his mates between glancing at his watch while I am trying to do climbing and descending turns.

Also, had 13 different instructors in my first 45 hours. Eventually the school went bust (mighty Flight Academy Scotland) and yet again changed school, aircraft and instructors to take me thru my test which happened rather soon and successfully.

Fortunately they are not all that bad. But there are some shocking ones that make up for all the good work done by others.

Keep at it, and read the flight training manual to keep yourself right, in the unlikely event that your instructor is of the useless ballast type.

Unfortunately, money can buy ratings but not professionalism

WALSue
21st Aug 2007, 20:06
Thanks for you comments high-hopes.
I've got a few lessons booked for next month - weather permitting!
We'll see what this new guy is like, at least I'm lucky in that there are 4 flying schools within a 40 minute drive where I live.

Still, early days yet...!

Jools66
22nd Aug 2007, 15:01
Cheers Michaelthewannabe for explaining that. Now I understand. How long ago were you at Jerez and how long were you there for? Can you believe we´re getting weather problems here too - August and it´s horribly windy and pouring with rain! At least the chances of it being sunny and calm again in time for my next lesson next weekend are significantly higher than they would be in UK!

mazzy1026
8th Nov 2007, 12:10
Well, looks like I am now starting to fall into the trap.

March 2008 will be my 2 year point - by which I will have no way done my 12 hours. At the moment, I need 2 hours with an instructor, even before I can carry a passenger - then with March rapidly approaching, I will no way be able to fit it in. So after that, it will pretty much be a full retest, with all the usual costs.

I'll tell you the one and only sole reason why this is the case: cost.

I just haven't been able to afford the £100+ each month to do a petty hour, bimbling round Scouseport. The only positive I can gain from this at the moment, is that I still have 3 years left to reach a point in life where I can reasonably afford flying. I can't really go on talking about it because I always knew flying was expensive - but perhaps now it feels more like a tick in the box of life rather than a hobby I'd like to keep up. I've always loved the idea of a group (cracking one at Liverpool, the Chipmunk) and this would have saved me hundreds in the long run - but again, I think this is something I'll have to consider when I'm at a more financially stable point in life (I.e. old and stuck in the rat race).

Sorry - bit of a dull ranty thread to what was once an enthusiastic part of my life :(

WALSue
8th Nov 2007, 14:21
Don't loose heart mazzy!
I started flying at the ripe old age of 30 and so far this year have only managed to get 5 hours in due to weather and a couple of instructors leaving.
Is there anyway you could save up a few bob and go abroad for a few weeks and just hammer the flying? Its something Im considering.

Lister Noble
8th Nov 2007, 15:07
Mazzy,
What rotten luck as you were so enthusiastic and really quite an inspiration when I was a student.
I've managed approx 20 hrs in the first 6 months of my second year but I'm fortunate that I belong to a brilliant Piper Cub group where the flying is really affordable and that makes it a lot easier.
Also I'm a lot older than you with no mortgage or other major debts and a reasonable disposable income, it would have been quite a struggle for me when I was younger.
What about looking around for microlight group or a share in something old but safe,like a Jodel or similar?
Good luck and please keep flying!

Slopey
8th Nov 2007, 15:16
You need to look at getting into a cheap share Maz - that'll bring your hourly costs down by quite a bit, and there's less currency requirement than if renting from a club (but beware being out of 'your' currency - i.e. don't fly alone if rusty!) and you can go up with other group members if you're a little rusty rather than instructors.

mazzy1026
9th Nov 2007, 08:43

I suppose I was having a bad day yesterday, and in hindsight I shouldn't have posted that here, as it kind of invalidates all of the good work we've put into this thread. However, it's reality and it's the truth :suspect:

Ivor_Novello
9th Nov 2007, 09:42
mazzy

can perfectly understand where you're coming from.
I got to the same stage where it's painful not to fly, and even more painful to fly (financially) and you're pretty much stuck in the middle.

Buying shares doesn't solve the problem if you're skint lol
It makes you spend less per hour, if you fly a lot of hours, but it doesn't make you spend LESS ! :)

I have given myself 3 options :

1. bite the bullet all the way : get into debt and go commercial and join the club of unemployed pilots until the day one gets paid for flying

2. get a better paid job

3. consider microlights for the time being

At the moment I'm working on options 2 and 3.
Hopefully once 2 is sorted, it might even help with option 1 !

WALSue
11th Nov 2007, 11:18
Things aren't going too well with my PPL'ing at the moment.
My flying school has been without instructors since early September. I was booked for a lesson today but that's cancelled and it looks unlikely they will be flying at any time in the future. :sad:

Trawling round the web at the moment and going to get in touch with Liverpool, Ravenair and Chester - any comments on them welcome!

woottsbj25
11th Nov 2007, 12:27
Awww, that's unlucky Sue, hope you manage to work things out. I've no experience with those schools.
I've been keeping my eye on this thread and it's very interesting to read people's stories, some good, some bad.
I've not really been progressing much recently, mainly due to financial issues. I passed my checkride back in March, which I posted on this thread, but I've been quiet since then. I've been flying once every month or so, taking various family members and friends up, and I'll continue to do that for the next 6 months or so all being well.
When college is done in July, the plan is that I'll then begin professional training. Currently I'm leaning towards the modular route. I have a good friend in Canada who also has a PPL, and the plan is that we're going to meet up in July and do some flying together. I'll then hopefully be able to clock up around 70 hours P1 over there to take me up to the requisite 150 hours total time for beginning the modular course.
Currently I'm planning to go to either Oxford or Cabair, and I'm off to OAT's open day next weekend.
Hope everyone's keeping well! It's nice to see this thread's still well alive.

Chequeredflag
11th Nov 2007, 16:27
Mazzy,
Long time no "speak". I trust you are well. I do hope you find a way of continuing to fly on a more regular basis, it would be such a waste of all the effort, the blood, sweat and tears that went into getting your ppl!!.
Just as a personal update, you may remember we were learning pretty much at the same time, and qualified not too far apart. It's bloomin' expensive to hire at £120 per hour (Warrior), but I've kept it up and have just reached the required 12 hours (with 7 hours P1), so I'm OK before the Winter sets in, though I still have 6 months to go before the second year deadline. It's nevertheless comforting to have the required hours, and the 1 hour with instructor under my belt - I realistically cannot see me doing much more than 25/30 hours in a full year.
The checkride was taken care of when I spent an hour on a checkride with my new flying clubs' CFI, and he will sign off my next two years privaliges after Xmas. I have now joined Coventry Aeroplane Club (following the demise of East Mids Flying School*). Covaero have two virtually new Warrior 161's owned by the members, beautifully equipped with two garmin 430's, and electric backup for suction, an ELT beacon etc. After the 15000 hour tubs I learned on, they are both so taught and lovely to fly. Coventry is not as busy (yet!) as East Mids, but with Thomsonfly and Wizzair increasing services weekly it seems, it won't be too long!!
I started the IMC, and have done about 10 hours to date, though I've let these lessons lapse over the last three months. I'd like to get that up and running again.
Just a thought, at Covaero, members are encouraged to fly together, thereby halving the cost. One is P1 outbound, the other, P1 on the return. maybe that's a way forward?
Whatever, I do hope you do not let your license lapse, and wish you the very best for your future flying,
Cheers
CF
* Rumour has it EMFS have a purchaser, and may well be continuing at East Mids - I very much hope so, they are a great organisation

Blinkz
11th Nov 2007, 16:59
Since it seems to be a little bit of a reunion going on I thought I'd poke my nose in here! Glad to see that you are all still about. Sorry to hear your struggling to keep flying mazzy, I know your pain! Its so expensive to just even stay current let alone fully enjoy the licence we all worked so hard on! Hope you manage to find away through it, are you still considering getting an FI? That would be one way you could fly and not have to pay for it? Although you may need to get a CPL first if any school will actually allow you to teach, I don't really know how it works!

Update from me is that I'm going to be starting with Ryanair on 26th Nov and will be flying the 737-800, so am looking forward to doing the TR and then getting in the air in the real thing early next year!

Happy landings and blue skies to you all!

Chequeredflag
11th Nov 2007, 19:50
Wow Blinkz!! You have moved on a lot, 737/800, absolutely fantastic, very well done. Congratulations to you - the nearest I get to Boeings/Airbuses is via several friends who fly for the airlines - Virgin/BMI/BA. I keep telling them it's not a proper job, just a paid hobby.

Very envious, and the very best of luck,

Cheers

CF

PS I don't get high enough for blue skies!!

Miraz
12th Nov 2007, 03:10
Good to see this thread resurface again - my update:-

I've been making good progress and flying regularly - this coming weekend is the big one. PPL Theory and final Solo Nav on the Saturday, Flight Test booked for Sunday.

I've got endorsements for tail-wheels and wobbly props signed off and will be starting to work on NVFR, retractable u/c and possibly some multi-engine over the next couple of months.

Mikehotel152
12th Nov 2007, 08:33
I don't think it's particularly important that you go solo as soon as possible in your training. Yes, it is a milestone in your flying career, of course, but there's no need to rush it. Trust your instructor's judgment.

I was dreading my instructor getting out and saying I could go solo. The first time he did it I told him I wanted to do another hour of circuits. It was the end of a day in which I had done 2 hours of flying. I was tired. I was also fixated with flying a perfect circuit and approach, followed by a 'greaser' of a touch down. I knew I couldn't do that, but what I didn't realise is that it wasn't important at this stage. Safety was paramount. I was safe, but I wasn't confident.

I exercised my fledgling 'airmanship' and said no, but went solo the next day on 17 hours.

james747james
14th Nov 2007, 15:14
hey everyone! How does this keeping current thing work??
Would you need to do a certain amount a year or is it a month??

James :ok:

Slopey
14th Nov 2007, 15:19
To fly with passengers you must have completed 3 landings within the preceeding 90 days. If taking pax at night, one of the 3 landings must have been at night - that's called "keeping current".

If hiring club aircraft, many clubs insist that you have flown previously within the last 30 days.

As far as renewing your JAA PPL(A) licence is concerned, you must, in the 2nd year of your licence, complete 12 hours as Pilot in command one of which must have been with an instructor.

See Lasors 2007 (search Google for the pdf).

(I think! ;) )

Note that although going up and doing 3 circuits every 3 months, while it does satisfy the currency requirements for pax, probably won't do your flying any good! ;)

Chequeredflag
14th Nov 2007, 15:22
Most flying schools/clubs have a 30 day rule. ie you must have flown in the previous 30 days, or you have to go up with an instructor for a (usually very quick) check ride. It's to do with insurance cover I believe.

james747james
14th Nov 2007, 15:26
Ok cheers guys! So i could probably get away with at least 2 landings a month or is my maths bad from getting up at 4am to go to work at heathrow?!?!

Not that im just gonna do 2 landings a month i wanna do as much as possible, depending on how much overtime there is :}

James :ok:

mazzy1026
21st Nov 2007, 07:37
ie you must have flown in the previous 30 days, or you have to go up with an instructor for a (usually very quick) check ride.
That's the problem sometimes, when they insist you go up and do 2 hours to go over the whole syllabus!

Don't get me wrong, nothing is better than experience, but I think sometimes the club goes a bit over the top...

Whirlybird
21st Nov 2007, 08:17
Mazzy, hi! I haven't visited this thread for ages, so nice to see it's still around.

Maz, if a simple checkout is taking two hours, something is wrong. Either you've forgotten everything you ever knew, or the instructor wants the hours. :( I don't know which it is, but if the second, find another school.

You're not all that far from Sleap, are you? Much cheaper hire than Liverpool, no landing fees for home aircraft, and....YOU ONLY HAVE TO DO A CHECKOUT WITH AN INSTRUCTOR IF YOU HAVEN'T FLOWN FOR TWO MONTHS! Friendly little club too - I miss it. :{ It might be worth the extra drive for you.

Another option is to take off to France for a few days and do some flying with Sue Burgess-Virr, a British instructor who lives near Limoges and practically specialises in getting Brits their 12 hours - it's how I got mine. See www.nearlyheaven.com.

If none of that works, bite the bullet and revalidate your PPL by test. A friend just did it and said it was no big deal - no nav, and about an hours general handling...and Bob's your uncle. He said he's always going to do it that way. He did it at Sleap - I have no idea if all flying schools and examiners are the same. But it's certainly cheaper than flying 12 hours for the sake of it.

The other option is to give up flying till you have the money, then renew by test. If you don't leave it too long, it should be no big deal. Again, there's no point in flying simply in order to be allowed to carry on flying! Stopping for a few months or even years really isn't the end of the world.

Hope some of that helps at least a little.

Hang in there. :ok:

Whirly

1d2d3d4d
21st Nov 2007, 19:46
Hi Mazzy,

2 hours for a check ride!!! My skills test wasn't much longer than that. My last club check ride (post knee surgery kept me grounded for 10 weeks:*) was about 40 minutes. Slow flight, steep turns, unusual attitudes and a PFL plus a couple of t & G's.

Hope you can keep flying Mazzy, I must admit finances do limit my aerial activities some what, but then thats part of the challenge. If it was as cheap as chips the world and his wife would be up there. God forbid the skys become as crowded as the roads.

Thanks for the tip Whirly my sister has a house near there. Me thinks cheap holiday and cheap(er) flying must be good for the soul.

Chris

mazzy1026
3rd Dec 2007, 09:25
Thanks guys ;)

Whirls, I think you've summed up my plans there pretty well - I am gonna wait a while and then think about taking it all on board again (I have something in the pipeline at the moment which should soon - wont say too much yet) ;)

I've never had a bad thing to say about my club, and I hopefully never will, but one thing for sure is that they love getting the hours in for their customers (natural I guess - they are a business). I can pretty much guarantee, that when I come to re-validate by test, it will be the full works - nav and all. Now, as some have you have pointed out, you've not had to do this, however, I've never disagreed with getting experience - I just feel a little down hearted sometimes when I know they may be shafting you for cash at the end of the day, it's the CAA that make the rules and the clubs that bring the money in (I've worded that last sentence carefully there, as the CAA do make money).

Whirls - I have even considered moving to another part of the UK where I can get the 'Sleap' type of flying - we are very limited up here in the north west...

Keeping the positive vibes - onwards and upwards - I'll get there in the end :cool:

Cheers

Chequeredflag
3rd Dec 2007, 14:17
Mazzy,
I recently had a situation where I had not flown for 6 weeks, outside of the 30 day rule. All I had to do was 2 circuits with an instructor, total time brakes off/on, 20minutes, and I was immediately cleared to take the plane (went straight out!)
Maybe I misread your post, but you should not be having to do 2 hours just to get 30 day current,
Cheers CF
PS, I'm 75% through the IMC and it looks like it's being canned by EASA - great!!

WALSue
7th Dec 2007, 20:14
Received the letter today that my flying school, Cheshire, has gone in to liquidation :sad:

Sadly the number of lessons canceled due to this years bad weather had a lot to do with their problems which is understandable, I had twice as many flights cancelled than I actually had!

My main problem now is getting my training records so I can transfer them to my new flying school

mazzy1026
8th Dec 2007, 10:44
Funny that Sue, LFS have just acquired a 172.....

I have to admit, that however painful it is that I haven't flown - I think the weather has actually helped me in this situation. In all of my 25 years, I don't think I can ever remember such a bad 2 years or so of weather!

It's a really nasty forecast for all of the UK this weekend....

WALSue
8th Dec 2007, 11:10
Last I saw of the CATS 172 it was parked up in Hawarden but I wouldn't be surprised if its the same one now at LFS

Hopefully weather will improve early next week, got another lesson booked for Monday, I've not been out since Sept

mazzy1026
15th Mar 2008, 22:22
Well - what can I say!

It's been a very long time since I posted here - I decided to log in to prune and see some of my old posts.I havent logged in for a very long time (in pprune terms!) and I thought it only right to let you know what's going on.

About 2 months ago I was in search of a new job (wanting to climb the career ladder and all that) - we also put our house up for sale, again, looking to move up the ladder. So, the house goes on the market on, lets say Saturday.......here's the good bit.....

By Tuesday we get a call saying wev'e had an offer (which was accepted) and on Wednesday, I found out I had got this great new job. I had to control the excitement, knowing that if I got too carried away with all the good progress, I'd end up doing something stupid.

So where is this going (after all, I did say at the start of this thread that I wouldn't talk about life and all it's struggles etc)? Well, the new wage, and lack of having to travel about 4 hours per day, may very well mean that I can start flying again. 9 days ago was the 2 year anniversary of my PPL flight test, which means that I dont' have the 12 hours required. HOWEVER this may not be a bad thing. Rather than waste lost of money bimbling around, I can now spend some quality time with an intstructor, working on my skills in order to get my 'wings' back :)

(By the way - nothing wrong with bimbling around) :ok:

Sorry to re-incarnate this old thread, but after so many dedicate posts, I only see it fair to say Hi and let you know how things are,

Congratulations to Blinkz and DiscoChocolate, who are now flying for Ryanair, it doesn't seem that long ago since we were talking about Air Law :8

See you in the air...

Cheers

Chequeredflag
15th Mar 2008, 22:31
Hey Mazzy, good to hear from you. This is a "Classic" thread that should never be allowed to die!!

Hopefully your new circumstances will see you back in the air soon. I am still flying out of East Mids occasionally, though mostly out of Coventry these days in new Warrior 111's. As we spend much of the Summer in Chichester, I'm just about to start flying out of Shoreham too, converting to a very nice new 172 - will make a change from the PA28's.

Best of luck,

CF

Lister Noble
16th Mar 2008, 11:06
Hi Mazzy,
Good to hear from you and the good news re job,house etc.
I am due for my two year renewal with instructor flight before 11th May and will be doing it in a Stearman sometime in April.
I fly most weekends in the L4 Cub ,weather permitting, and we have also just moved house to a smaller property about 3 miles from our previos place, so that we can keep the same friends etc.
Good luck.
Lister:):)

i.dingbat
16th Mar 2008, 12:41
Welcome back to your thread!

Congratulations on your improved circumstances. Perhaps a new job is the key.

I still don't have my PPL - might be going for some kind of record time - but now I have my GFPT I'm able to take passengers around the training area.

Had a lovely flight this morning in a Warrior with enough cloud around to make it interesting - saw our shadow on the clouds with a 360° rainbow around it. Beautiful.

Now saving up for navs. Done one so far but probably best to complete them close together rather than one every month or two!

Lister - that Cub sounds nice. I love the Citabria for solo flights but it's not so pleasant for the passenger in the back.

WALSue
16th Mar 2008, 23:01
Good to see the thread running again!

i.dingbat - so far I've had 8 hours over one year, anywhere near your record? :}

1d2d3d4d
17th Mar 2008, 21:03
Hi Mazzy, good to hear from you again.

Congrats on the new job, house etc but most of all for getting airbourne again.

My renewal comes up this July. I should have the hours in, just, thanks to our wonderful weather, so seriousy considering an IMC rating. Scraping the bottom of the piggy bank and poking in the corners for the neccessary.

Blue skies, light winds and sufficient funds to all.
Chris

BRL
17th Mar 2008, 21:21
Hi Mazzy, well done with the job and all that, good to see you back here. :ok:

(you still owe me a pint by the way) ;)

mazzy1026
17th Mar 2008, 22:29
(you still owe me a pint by the way)
Hehe - I politely ask you to review your post, all that time ago, where you offer me a pint :ok::ok:

It's great to see you guys still here, and sending very positive replies as always - you're a good bunch :cool:

Well, today's been a bit of a mind blower - that's the one thing about aviation, when you need to know something, or start to look into your options, it's a minefield of information and options (trawling through LASORS is difficult enough, but everything is in there, so please do refer to it if you need an official answer) - some good possible outcomes to follow though - I will keep you posted ;) I actually have a meeting with a group of people this week who fly a rather interesting aircraft - I will say more later in the week...

As is the nature of this thread, I shall be keeping you up to date with my experiences of 'getting my license' back; who knows, in 40 years time, one of my posts (in this very thread!) may begin "How to get your medical at the age of 65"....

Cheers

BRL
17th Mar 2008, 22:39
Hehe - I politely ask you to review your post, all that time ago, where you offer me a pint
I knew that would make you smile!

Carry on posting on this thread though. There are so many new users coming to this forum, some of them will be looking for something like this for advice on what to expect etc.....

stickandrudderman
17th Mar 2008, 23:06
Mazzy, how come you're still 25?:D

mazzy1026
18th Mar 2008, 20:13
Mazzy, how come you're still 25?
It's been less than 12 months since I was 24 :E Not long to go though ;):ok:

I've been reading LASORS - the only requirement for me to get my license back, is to have (and pass) a flight test with a certified examiner. That's it.

As long as I complete the test satisfactorily, and have the examiner sign me off (as well as send the correct form to the CAA (with no fee by the way!)) then I'm good.

There's two ways you can look at this:

a) Wow I only have to do an hour to get my ticket back!
b) I can take this as a valuable opportunity to get some training done to make sure I know what I'm doing, then breeze the test.

Obviously, option 'b' is the choice here (you were all thinking that weren't you?) :E

As long as the license hasn't expired by 5 years, you're ok (although you'd be surprised at the startling similarity in requirements to the above, if you have gone past 5 years). When I was training, I never really thought about renewal at all (I never thought I'd be in this situation) but it has cropped up for me now. It's often difficult to find a straight answer as to the requirements, however, as anybody will tell you, LASORS is a must - have a look at section F1 here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2008%20(Bookmarked).pdf

It's very simple to read - the hard part is actually finding the bit you want, but the first 2 pages has it all....

Now I have to put all this in practice :8

Cheers

Lister Noble
17th Apr 2008, 12:35
Hi Mazzy,
How is it going,did you do the flight test?
I have still not done my two year renewal flight with instructor,either weather ,dentist or work in the way.
I don't have much time left now,runs out 11th May but I have all next week free so hope for a good day.
Good luck.
Lister
PS
Just keeping this thread alive

PPS how come my laptop says time 13.37 yet posting says crack of dawn?

nissangaz
18th Apr 2008, 14:56
Quick intro
Hi I am 42 and currently doing my training for my PPL 18 hours so far and thanks to all your advice on this thread I have just nailed my first consistent good landings. Had some great ones then a bump then ok well you know what im getting at

Been reading this from page 1 for just over a month and the best bit of advise came off the page and made me think "thats where i have been going wrong". Wish my instructor had said it 6 hours ago when I first started doing circuits.

Can't remember who mentioned this but it goes something like this. A pilot should not LAND an aeroplane, you just configure the approach and hold off and it will land itself.

My problem was not with the configuration on final, I was getting that pretty consistently in all configurations, dont ask me why but as soon as I was above the numbers then it was throttle back 50ft 100ft 200ft It didnt matter, I was trying to LAND the aeroplane. Most of the time it went ok but I now realise that it was more luck than judgement. Hope I may have just sussed feel of landing.

I had the last lesson of the day on Tuesday gone and my instructor said if I can do that 3 times in a row then I will be going solo next lesson. Unfortunately due to weather, money, work, it looks like it could be next month.

Thanks for the great read, and the invaluable hints and tips, and it does make a difference to us fledglings to be able to find people thaat have been or are going through the same learning curve.

Once again thanks for the great thread. Kindest regards

madgav
18th Apr 2008, 19:24
Hi nissan/all,
I'm in the same age group, about to turn 40 in July :eek:
Just started last summer (wife bought me a trial lesson!), solo'd 25/10/07 after about 18½ hours. Sadly I have been suffering the frustrations of the British weather with only 4 out of 11 lessons flown this year so far :sad:. I've had *no* second solo yet, after nearly 6 months! Just had a frustrating lesson today in gusty x-wind.
Have to admit I also read mazzy's thread right through :eek: - gave me a great understanding of what was ahead. I'm very thankful to mazzy and all of the other contributors to this thread!
Regards,
Gavin.
www.madgav.org (http://www.madgav.org)
PS Don't forget to post about your first solo.......

Mike744
19th Apr 2008, 12:20
Hi Madgav/all
I'm not in the same age group at all!! turning 65 in October :ooh:
I was inspired by the sheer thrill and reading Mazzy's posts - thanks Mazzy.
My first flight also in a Piper Tomahawk as a birthday gift last year. I took some time after that to put some cash by but now I've had my first lesson (last tuesday) which was fine, next one on tuesday. Going for the NPPL so today I've got my head buried in Air Law :confused:

Mike

Lister Noble
19th Apr 2008, 17:44
Mike,
I'm turning 65 in May,got my PPL two days after my 63rd birthday.
Good luck,enjoy it ,it's not a race to solo in x hrs,I think it took me around 19 hrs then it all went quite quickly after that.
Lister:ok:

Mike744
19th Apr 2008, 21:56
Lister,
Many thanks for your sound advice. I've no expectations on time - just to do my best and enjoy it. My first lesson was fun, mainly checks, taxying and getting used to the controls in flight plus trimming out. The hour went far too fast but now I'm truly hooked and can't wait for the next lesson. In hindsight I'm really glad I read up about the PA38 beforehand otherwise I wouldn't of known what (for example) an 'alt static' was:eek:
Ground school is good for waking up those grey cells & getting into a learning routine again.. I'll just take my time and enjoy the ride.
Mike:cool:

WALSue
20th Apr 2008, 07:12
Mike744, I'm on my 13th lesson and find it just as much fun as there first!
I've found it worth while picking up a book specifically about the PA38, AFE do a good one, albeit rather old now so you may have to get it second hand.

Mike744
20th Apr 2008, 10:34
Hi WALSue,

Thanks. I got one off Ebay about a month ago, it's an ASA publication by Jeremy Pratt with N-EDNA on the front cover. :hmm: It's turned into my bedtime reading now:ooh:
Expect it's not too long until you solo? Are you looking forward to it? It seems a long way off to me now but already my expectations are mixed excitement and apprehension, hopefully the apprehension should mostly evaporate later with further training.. its early days yet.
Mike

WALSue
20th Apr 2008, 13:33
Thats the one I have. Find it very useful to have information about the particular aircraft you're flying.
Hopefully not too long until I go solo, just need a few more circuits but the weather hasn't been too great here, very windy.
The apprehension does go with experience although we see how it is when I'm lined up at the end of the runway on my own for the first time!
Good luck with your flying. I'm sure your first solo will suddenly sneak up on you

nissangaz
21st Apr 2008, 22:12
Hi Mazzy/Madgav/Walsue and everybody else in this forum, looks like the weather is going to be ok tomorrow (Tuesday) and it would normaly be my flying day. Got a call from the guy who covers my day off from work, "Hi Gaz just to let you know I am in spain, will do the weekend for you instead". Needless to say I am gutted. Phoned for a lesson at the weekend and the school is fully booked.

Im not suprised that very few of us have flown this year due to weather, can't seem to hit a decent day yet. However I notice that a few of the people on here got there PPL in their sixty's so I still have another 20 years or so to pass the licence.

Wonder how many times I will have to take that damn air law test!!

WALSue
21st Apr 2008, 22:28
Nissangaz - thats a pain! I know the feeling, lovely sunny day then the school ring to say the instructor is ill.
We should run a book see how many different excuses we get for not flying!
Don't loose heart, I've managed around 8 hours in the last 2 months and have half my R/T course out the way. In the previous year I'd only got 4 hours done.

Good luck with the air law exam, I have that...erm excitment..to look forward to!

Lister Noble
22nd Apr 2008, 13:21
I had an hour in the Cub this morning,first time I've flown since 9th February and I was slightly worried how rusty I might be.

When I arrived I checked the airplane did my run up etc.and I felt quite at home.
There was slight crosswind but the take off was quite good,I flew for an hour and it was brilliant to be up in the air again,I even managed a decent landing apart from one small bounce. Which I shall blame on the molehills!

It made me realise why I learned to fly,blue sky,warm sun,not too windy.

I was nearly hit by a hawk of some sort just after take off around 400 feet,I think it was as suprised as I was.

nissangaz
22nd Apr 2008, 14:27
Thanks Lister,
ever heard of "kick a man while he's down" well I'm down here at work on my day off. Weather looks great today for a jaunt, and to top it all off the School has just been on the phone to say that they are definitely fully booked for the week-end. Loads of voucher flyers on Sunday. Hope none of them gets a nasty cold and has to cancel. Still there is always next Tuesday to look forward too. Not even going to check out the 7 day forcast cos that would really brass me off.

"May your landings be as soft as your first kiss":D

Gary

snapper1
22nd Apr 2008, 14:58
Lister Noble,
Remember to check for RA(T)s.;)
If that hawk was a big red one with a white stripe, it probably came from Scampton! Did you see another eight of them close by?

Mike744
22nd Apr 2008, 20:43
Hi WALSue and Nizzengaz/ others,

I felt for you Nizzengaz. My very first lesson last Tuesday went okay, today was my second lesson. I begun to think I may have preferred your cancellation when things started going pearshaped - an accident on the road meant a long delay arriving late at the air club. As luck would have it the lesson was held off by the arrival of some royalty or other. It was about an hour later the instructor told me to go to the PA38 on the apron to do checks and he'll join me later.. guess it was one of those days as I spent what seemed an age just hunting the panel for the vacuum gauge!! the tasks I'd completed on my first lesson okay seemed to go right out the window today:*
Quite a bit of turbulence after take off (heard comments over the radio about that) but it proved to be a very interesting lesson to brighten my day - the effects of propwash & flight controls at different airspeeds, demo of carb iceing & carb heat plus the CFI switched off the engine for a while just to show me that the plane really did glide, it was very odd staring at a stationary prop:=
I hope things come together better for my next lesson as I couldn't even taxy in a straight line today (but I'll blame that on the wind...)
I suppose because I'd spent most of my life sailing on ships it's going to take a wee while being used to being in the air.

Mike

markp123
23rd Apr 2008, 12:37
Hey guys, im new to the forums here. This thread made for some excellent reading, especially Mazzy's type up of his skills test...which im absolutely :mad: myself about! Taking my JAR PPL at Blackpool, and about 33 hours into the course. just been given the all clear to start my solo navigations. done nearly 4 hours solo circuits and 35 minutes so far of solo nav. all seems to be going wel. only done 3 of the 7 exams at the moment..college work seems to be taking over my life :( happy flying to u all though :)

nissangaz
24th Apr 2008, 16:56
Hi Mark
I will be at Blackpool end of next month, not flying though just drinking. May see you in Yates's telling everyone you are a pilot (lol) I know I will be.;)

Lister Noble
25th Apr 2008, 14:21
I did my two year renewal flight today in a Stearman PT17.
We did general handling ,stalls and steep turns,then we did a loop,and then I did one on my own.
We also did a stall turn but I had not heard the commentary well and we were running short of time so we headed home.
I flew the aircraft all the time apart from take-off,the first loop and the landing when I followed through on the controls.
A cracker of a day and one to remember for the rest of my life.
I'm still grinning ear to ear.
Lister
:D:D

WALSue
27th Apr 2008, 08:17
Mike744, you always get days like that!
I remember my (unlucky) 13th hour, nothing went right. Couldn't even get the thing started.

Mike744
27th Apr 2008, 15:27
WALSue, thanks... I'll try to avoid the 13th of anything :suspect: My next is on the 30th so thats okay. Wx cavok, hope it stays awhile.

nissangaz
1st May 2008, 22:18
Had another lesson last Tuesday and it was going great until I started sharing the circuit with a big black cumulus. The more circuits we done the shorter they were getting. Fourth one was a glide approach turning as soon as I had started my downwind checks. Felt well under pressure as it was work work work all the way. Very tricky trying to get the aircraft in a trimmed glide while there is lightning, thunder and heavy rain. Must admit though a great learning experience, and although it has been a while since the last lesson the landings were still good. One was definately the best one yet.

1d2d3d4d
23rd Jun 2008, 20:25
Hi Guys

I decided to bite the bullet a couple of weeks ago and start training for an IMCR. I needed to move up to a PA28, an hour of general handling followed by an hour of circuits, then booked my first session on instruments. It's like starting over, you know, levelling out, power attitude trim but now your heads inside the cockpit and the horizons only a couple of inches wide. It took a little while to get an efficient scan going AH, altimeter AH, DI, AH Altimeter etc. We did climbs and level out, straight and level, rate one turns onto a heading both ways. We did a rate one turn through 360 and timed it on the stop watch. We did recoveries from too steep a turn (angle of bank beond rate one) unusual attitudes and also from an approaching stall (sudden increase in altitude rapid loss of airspeed). I was really surprised on how much my flying accuracy improved in just an hour. By the time we started the return to the airfield I felt I could control the heading and altitude, then my instructor "Vectored" me into a base leg join while I was still under the hood, making all the changes of heading, altitude and of course power all on instruments.

I thouroughly enjoyed myself, my flying improved no end and I can't wait for the next installment. I'd recommend all PPL's to have a go, use your next bi-annual with an instructor as an IMC taster thats what I did! I'll let you all know how I get on in the next lesson

Cheers all Chris.

liam548
23rd Jun 2008, 21:01
some interesting reading, although not had chance to read the whole thread!

I am due to have lesson number 3 (4th hour but 1st lesson was a trail flight) at Sherburn in a PA28. I had lesson 1 in a AT3 but last week had my secong lesson in a PA28.

Ive read half of book 1 (flying training) not sure if this has helped or not up to know.

Ive had goes at taxiing, didnt have chance to take off last lesson due to side winds.

Just seems so much to learn, but i guess its like anything new, it seems impossible until you learn how!

:)
Liam

PompeyPaul
24th Jun 2008, 08:33
Just seems so much to learn, but i guess its like anything new, it seems impossible until you learn how!
Yes it does.

I remember thinking I was never going to get the hang of the take off roll, then climbing out and trimming then chaning radio frequency and then climbing to the cruise.

You do get the hang of it in the end. Recently completed my first return trip to L2Q.

At times it seems overwhelming. But with enough hours (and of course ££££££££) you'll get there.

WALSue
3rd Jul 2008, 06:31
Well my flying school seems to have folded.
So far I've seen off three instructors and two flying schools.
I've not even managed to do first solo yet!
I think someone, somewhere is trying to tell me something :ugh:

BRL
3rd Jul 2008, 17:36
Sorry to hear that Sue, did you loose any money?

Mike744
3rd Jul 2008, 18:22
Thats really bad luck Sue. Its obvious from reading your posts just how much flying means to you. I'm sure you'll move heaven and earth to do that solo one way or another. I really hope you're not too much out-of-pocket by all this and are able to carry on .... and whoever it is trying to tell you something - tell them they are definately wrong :=

Mike

WALSue
3rd Jul 2008, 20:37
Hopefully I won't be out of pocket, should be getting some more info from them soon.

Despite loosing money when my first school went bust and despite reading several times on here not to pay up front, I thought I couldn't be unlucky twice on the run and pre-paid for 10 lessons.

As tempting as it may seem to save a few bob by pre-paying, don't do it!

madgav
25th Jul 2008, 23:11
Hi all,

Been a while since I posted here, hope everyone is well & getting at least some flying in over the course of this mediocre summer :eek:

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having WALSue :sad:

Just had a particularly 'interesting' lesson:

Link (http://www.gmcc0266.plus.com/ppl.htm#egaa1)

Not bad for a first landaway :}

WALSue
26th Jul 2008, 07:09
Well, it seems my school were doing some erm, interesting accounting.
A month or so after closing they've re-opened under a new name. Popping down there soon so hopefully carry on from where I left off. Hope I'm not too rusty after the break!

eek, Madgav!
Sounds like you were having fun there!!

GonTek
7th Sep 2008, 09:47
Hi All

Can anyone reccomend a flying school in Liverpool,I will be in the area this week and would like to fly .

Thanks

Gontek

mazzy1026
7th Sep 2008, 09:54
GonTek

I've flown with LFS, Ravenair and had one flight with CATS in one of their Robins. They are all at Liverpool John Lennon and share the same apron. I chose LFS for many reasons discussed in here but I'm sure you'd get on fine wherever! :cool:

Don't forget the Southport airshow this weekend, there will be restrictions in place...

Cheers
Maz :ok:

GonTek
7th Sep 2008, 10:39
Thanks Mazzy

I had a feeling it would be you who replied,and boy did you start something with this thread. It is a long time since I have been on here and it gives me a good feeling to see it still carrying on and everybody going through the same things to gain a PPL,Nothing's changed !

I will be in Liverpool Mon/Tues and hope to fly the sights in the city,weather permitting and if so will post here.

Thanks again my friend and take care.

Fly safe all...

mazzy1026
7th Sep 2008, 11:21
Thanks Tek - enjoy the flying!

I'd love to come and join you, but there's no way I'd get out of work :uhoh:

GonTek
7th Sep 2008, 11:29
I wish Mazzy ! IT would be nice to meet you,but as you say it's not to be.
If I get down there again maybe who knows.

Take my friend fly safe.

Paul .:D

GonTek
13th Sep 2008, 13:54
Hi all.

Left Newcastle and went to Liverpool last Monday,drove straight to airport to the sounds of " Your not going flying again are you ? " ringing in my left ear( wasn't listening ) found hanger four, and found LFS and Ravenair no problems (bollocking for no viz,slapped hands should know better ).

Nothing available that day so booked 16:30 Tuesday,Tuesday morning arrived with a nice low pressure front and poor viz,phoned and was advised no flying that day,We only had limited time so was a bit peeved but weather is so predictable I should have known better.

All was not lost,went to nearest pub !
Liverpool : Great place,people nice too.

In the words of Arney "I'll be back "

Fly safe All

Mazzy, I will let you know nxt time and maybe we can meet.

Take care...

mazzy1026
13th Sep 2008, 15:55
bollocking for no viz,slapped hands should know better

That must have been Ravenair! :E:ok:

GonTek
13th Sep 2008, 18:18
Believe it or not No,it was a short and very apolagetic refueller ( I am 6ft 2 in and built brick outhouse style ) I should know better and it was the first and last time I'll do it,He was trying to be helpfull but he did look a little frightened.

Fly safe all.

Cheers Mazzy

Blinkz
2nd May 2009, 19:55
Well I saw the new PPL diary just started in Private flying, and then saw the link back to the original diary here and was shocked that there hasn't been a post here in 2009! So here I am fixing that! Hopefully everyone here is still managing to fly the odd hour what with the economy having destroyed itself!

Its been a while since I posted here so I guess I better update those of you who don't know what I've been up too! As I said before I joined Ryanair and flew just under 500hrs in the 737 before jumping ship and joining a REAL airline (sorry Neil :E) Aer Lingus. So I'm still living in Dublin, flying around Europe but this time Its in either an A320 or A321!

Hope everyone is good, and for those still learning just stick in there! Its worth all the effort and heart ache! :ok:

Lister Noble
2nd May 2009, 21:23
This was/is one of the best and most useful threads on Prune so we should keep it open,well done blinkz.
My news,been flying in a 1942 L4 Cub since I obtained my PPL 3 years back.
Big shock,pacemaker installed 5 weeks ago but hope to get my licence back next week as NPPL,the PPL would cost me around £7-800/year to maintain and that is too expensive for the flying I do.
Flying into Bentwaters ex USAF base tomorrow in an old Condor,should be fun even in the RH seat,but I expect I'll get some stick time.
Keep on posting.
Mazzy,any news?

mazzy1026
2nd May 2009, 21:36
Jesus! I never thought I'd be posting here again :eek:

I still haven't flown I'm afraid. There's been about a million times where I've nearly joined the Chipmunk group (I DEFINATELY will soon - promise!) but never have managed to get the balls to do it. My medical is due in September I think, so I'll get that renewed (what's the avg cost on a class 2 renewal these days?) I've got till March 2011 before my license expires, but all things aside it'll be a SEP renewal regardless of dates etc...

I really do feel so out of touch with the whole aviation scene I used to be in. I miss it quite a lot, and haven't posted on here since last September. I will definitely be going again soon though, that's for sure, whether it be back at the club, or in the Chipmunk. Getting married next year - that tells half the story :E

Blinkz - I didn't know you'd moved airlines - good to see you're doing well, and thanks for the resurrecting post! Lister - a pacemaker hey, that's an amazing thing in itself - I hope you enjoy many more hours of flying to come, and who knows, if I ever do get my ass in gear, I may fly with you one day!

All the best

madgav
26th Jun 2009, 07:33
Been ages since I posted in this thread, but on Wednesday past I successfully completed my solo QXC. Weather was great - warm & sunny but with a not insignificant wind.

QXC write-up from my blog (http://www.gmcc0266.plus.com/ppl.htm#qxc)

Nearly there then :ok:
Gav.

PS Hope everythings going well for everyone else & you're getting plenty of flying done in this good weather :)

mazzy1026
26th Jun 2009, 10:12
Excellent, well done Gav - still buzzing? :ok:

The QXC is (I think) probably the biggest achievement when you think about it. Three hours, on your own, in an aircraft, across the country. I was only thinking about mine the other day...

I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, and have just bought a couple of books, so there's potential for me to be getting back in the air very soon!

:ok:

Chequeredflag
26th Jun 2009, 11:07
Hi Guys. This thread keeps coming back to haunt us!! Quick update on me, now flying out of Coventry in one of two Warrior 3's (two years old and really nice), or lately in the CFI's Archer which he kindly lets me use I guess I only do around 20 hours a year, mostly bimbles around the Midlands for the usual very expensive bacon sarni, but the occasional "long haul" eg to Bembridge.

Had a bit of a shock last year when diagnosed with prostate cancer (removed by op and now completely cured), so did not fly for some 3 months, but all guns firing since Feb this year. With regard to the prostate bit, get yourself regularly checked if you are over 50. Caught early, it's 100%treatable.

Enjoy your flying, and Mazzy, ffs get up there again!!

Lister Noble
26th Jun 2009, 16:55
Hi Mazzy,
I had a pacemaker fitted March 28th,JAR PPL suspended for 3 months but got back flying just six weeks after operation on NPPL.
Do between 20 -40 hrs/year ,all on the L4 Cub in which I have a share.
Did 40 mins spin trainng in an Extra 200,an awesome craft, also had a helicopter lesson and managed to hover ( untidily) after 40 mins,but prefer the fixed wing approach.:)
Get back in the air,none of us get any younger:ok:

Lister

madgav
26th Jun 2009, 22:58
Excellent, well done Gav - still buzzing? :ok:

Still tired!!!!
Funny thing is, after the dual QXC I felt fresh as a daisy, after the solo one I was physically & mentally exhausted :}
A real feeling of achievement though to have it done, only a few more bits to do then I should (finally) have my ticket :ok:

kevmusic
27th Jun 2009, 10:35
only a few more bits to do then I should (finally) have my ticket

I did my solo QXC in September last year: those "few more bits" have involved extensive general handling and nav revision for me - and it's not over yet! :{

WALSue
28th Jun 2009, 08:09
QXC myself soon (after what seems like an eternity!) Crap weather the last few times I was due to fly though.
Getting there....slowly...I'll ignore Kevmusics comment for now :)

mazzy1026
28th Jun 2009, 15:07
Had a bit of a shock last year when diagnosed with prostate cancer (removed by op and now completely cured)
S*it. I didn't know that. The big C has touched my family in a really sad way (as you'll know if you've read my previous sad posts) however I am really glad that you fought it - it's nice to hear a good outcome, and especially as it hopefully hasn't effected your flying.

I had a pacemaker fitted March 28th,JAR PPL suspended for 3 months but got back flying just six weeks after operation on NPPL.
Again, I'm really glad you've come out this well, and can still fly - keep us up to date!

Still tired!!!!
Tell me about it - I get tired just thinking of mine!

The QXC is a funny old how-d'you-do because it's such a big achievement, you say to yourself sub-consciously "I've done it, I'm there" yet you're not! There's a little bit of a lull in between the QXC and GFT, but if you can look at it from the point of view as having a major thing completed (towards the end goal) then you'll do fine :bored:

I'm off to Cornwall for a week - happy days :ok:

Chequeredflag
28th Jun 2009, 19:24
Respect Blinkz! Well done mate, I'm envious. I'm still slogging around in Warriors and Archers, but at the age of 66 don't suppose any airlines would return my calls!!

Enjoy your career

CF

Chequeredflag
28th Jun 2009, 19:31
By the way, I recently did a couple of hours in the BA 737/400 sim, with a lovely young lady as tutor - her day job is First Officer on the 747's. Based ourselves at East Midlands and did ever tougher circuits. The final one was 1km viz, 500' cloudbase, turbulence and a 17kt crosswind.

Whilst doing the IMC course, and did many ILS approaches, but this was truly awesome - made me sweat a bit, but got it in!!

Happyeater
28th Jun 2009, 21:08
I've not flown for a year now. My medical expired last September and I've not got another done. Along with family and work (never mind the weather issues) I've stayed grounded.

Few people fly up here that I could get a ride with so, it looks like unless I get the medical done and fly a dozen hours in the next 12 months, I'll run out of my licence.

Great to see this thread still alive and so nice to see some familiar names still posting too.

madgav
29th Jun 2009, 07:36
those "few more bits" have involved extensive general handling and nav revision for me - and it's not over yet! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

I think it may be like that for me. Still hope to have it done over the summer though.

QXC myself soon (after what seems like an eternity!) Crap weather the last few times I was due to fly though.

All the ebst for it Sue, I had a few weather related cancellations before finally getting to do it. look forward to reading about it on here :}:ok:

mazzy1026
3rd Jul 2009, 21:39
Happyeater - fear not! You won't lose you license, you'd simply have to do a scaled down flight test wih an examiner in order to renew your SEP (the rating part of the license) the PPL is always with you :ok: You're not even required to do any training, but this point is a little daft, as I'm guessing nobody goes straight into a test!

Best of luck Sue - and I feel a dejavu coming up here, but you do know we expect a write-up :}

mazzy1026
18th Jul 2009, 18:59
Today, for the first time since May 2007, I took to the air :}

My first in a few refresher flights with the examiner, with the aim of getting my SEP back. It's an expensive few weeks - medical due soon, membership renewals all on top of the flight!

It's good to be back ;)

Molesworth 1
18th Jul 2009, 20:42
Good for you! Welcome back!

Lister Noble
19th Jul 2009, 07:20
Well done Mazzy:ok:

1d2d3d4d
19th Jul 2009, 18:50
Great news Mazzy.

Chris

madgav
20th Jul 2009, 07:04
:ok::ok::ok::ok:

mazzy1026
12th Aug 2009, 10:01
SEP renewed! :E

Nav leg, stalls, PFL's - a few other bits and bobs and all good to go!

It feels good to be current again - and I will seriously try and not let it lapse again!

Cheers :ok:

Lister Noble
12th Aug 2009, 12:40
Mazzy,well done,I'm really happy for you.
Now you are one up on most of us!;);)

madgav
13th Aug 2009, 07:43
Well done mazzy :ok::ok::ok:

Completed my 10 hours solo last Fri, so only the skills test to do (after a bit of practice). Weather still playing havoc with my bookings :*:sad::rolleyes:

Wibblemonster
13th Aug 2009, 11:55
Well done Mazzy! :ok:

MikeStanton
26th Aug 2009, 14:23
Hi all, I too have just been solo again after first do so five years ago. I never got my licence back then due to financial costs and my school closing. I had did many hours (25 ) before going solo. However after just 4 hours this time I completed 9 nerve racking solo circuits with the plane a 152 (G-flip) and me in one piece ! back to nav ex's and exams again for me.

madgav
11th Sep 2009, 09:20
Hi all,

Finally passed me skills test yesterday!!!! Feels great to have it done!! :ok::ok::ok:

www.gmcc0266.plus.com/ppl.htm#gst (http://www.gmcc0266.plus.com/ppl.htm#gst)

Lister Noble
11th Sep 2009, 09:23
Well done,good to see a happy posting on here.

Blinkz
2nd Sep 2010, 17:47
Yet AGAIN it has been another year since a post in this thread! So again I'm doing the duty of getting it updated!

The main news for me is that I have moved from Dublin back to the UK and am currently living in Guildford, flying still for Aer Lingus on the A320 but based in Gatwick now. I'm really enjoying being back in the UK I have to admit!

I certainly hope all the other regulars here are still flying and enjoying things! Hopefully you'll post again and update us all.

Lister Noble
2nd Sep 2010, 18:33
Yup,still here flying the jolly old L4.
Lister

Back to hibernation for another year;)

GonTek
4th Sep 2010, 16:01
Hello all. Very long time since posted here but really glad to see all the original faces still flying especially the man himself Mazzy,still manage to keep current after 7 years and hope to for the forseeable future.

Best wishes to all members and safe flying.

mazzy1026
10th Sep 2010, 11:14
This thread is bringing back some memories :8

Glad to see people doing well - each time I write here, I always think it will be the last!

I myself have unfortunately given up my 'wings' (albeit just the fixed ones ;)). I fell into the same group that have done the same routes, ran out of people to take, and not been able to justify the £120 a month just to fly outside controlled airspace for 20 mins. All that said - I would do it all over again if I went back in time. I would never give up the fact that I have achieved the PPL, regardless of the outcome.

All is not lost however....

For a good while now I've been thinking of another form of flying - something that costs around £3 per hour (after initial outlay) will be set up from the boot of my car, is unregulated and gives me 100% freedom. In a few weeks time, I will be taking up this:

YouTube - K2 Paramotoring NO HANDS!!! Powered Paraglider World's Safest, Most Stable & Easiest To Fly!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAytIwb1osM)
YouTube - #4 Paramotoring Spectacular Moab!! Powered Paragliding Adventure!! Backpack Aircraft Are REAL!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9pVm2eDyVo)

I have no particular link to the above videos - I just picked two of the good ones.

I've spent months and months researching this - it's not like buying a TV from Comet. Reviews are sparse and bias, different people just want you to buy their gear, and there's not a lot of people doing it, thus the community is a lot smaller.

Having said that, I'm at a point now where I have a club, instructor and a list of gear I need so it wont be long before I'm up again.

So, if you see a big fella tootling along under a big canopy in the north west region soon, then it may just be me (and please don't fly into me) :E

Cheers everyone - take care,

PS: madgav - really sorry I missed your last post. I would like to wish you belated congratulations, and I do hope you're enjoying your new found wonders...

DastardlyMutley
10th Sep 2010, 11:57
Hey Mazzy

Just wanted to say a quick "thanks" for starting and continuing with the thread

I came across this thread last June/July when I was pondering where to do my PPL training. I had originally (and quite obviously) thought about RavenAir, but after reading through the first few hours of your experiences, decided that Liverpool Flying School (KeenAir) was the place for me ... a quick trial flight later confirmed that decision

Well, after 12 very happy months under Phil Ryan's instruction ... 3 weeks ago my new shiny PPL came through the post :ok:

It's great that people take the time and effort to post up on the internet their experiences, you just never know when you might inspire others to follow

Thanks again, and happy safe flying

D&M

DastardlyMutley
10th Sep 2010, 12:05
Hey Mazzy

Just wanted to say a quick "thanks" for starting and continuing with the thread

I came across this thread last June/July when I was pondering where to do my PPL training. I had originally (and quite obviously) thought about Ravenair, but after reading through the first few hours of your experiences, decided that Liverpool Flying School (KeenAir) was the place for me ... a quick trial flight later confirmed that decision

Well, after 12 very happy months under Phil Ryan's instruction ... 3 weeks ago my new shiny PPL came through the post :ok:

It's great that people take the time and effort to post up on the internet their experiences, you just never know when you might inspire others to follow

Thanks again, and happy safe flying

D&M

MichaelJP59
10th Sep 2010, 12:36
Hi Lee, followed your thread as I was doing my PPL about the same time.

Paramotoring looks fun and gets you up in the air but you can't really go places - have you considered a share in a permit type? Costs can be much, much lower even for a practical tourer. It's no wonder people get bored (and broke) going for local bimbles in a club rental.

Hannah222
13th Sep 2010, 16:36
I've just started going for my ppl and so far have nearly 4 hours!! If I had more time I would read this whole thread about everyones experiences and find out what will happen but I don't have time! It sounds a good idea about making a diary of your lessons and I would but I think I would soon get boring so I won't haha. It's good you started flying again after you stopped too mazzy. Theres probably loads of questions I could ask people but I'll only ask one- don't laugh but whats a ppl look like? I thought it was a bit of paper or like a drivers license but someone said it was 'shiny'. Does that mean it's laminated?? :confused:
Hannah

Lister Noble
13th Sep 2010, 17:27
Ah well,I'm 67,of ample build and slightly balding.
I'm sure there ore other types.

PPL Licence comes in a shiny brown cover.:)

WALSue
13th Sep 2010, 19:08
Ah, that lovely brown cover!

Mazzy - I've seen the powered-powergliders over Wallasey numerous times, looks great fun.

mazzy1026
15th Sep 2010, 18:58
DastardlyMutley - nice one :ok:

Phil is a bloody good instructor (AFI) and you can rest assure you've got yourself a solid PPL there! I actually really enjoyed writing about my flying. I found myself updating this thread as soon as possible, not only as it was fresh in my mind, but I knew there were other people learning too, and it was really great to share everything.

Michael - you are correct, a permit type is considerably cheaper (and arguably more fun etc) but it's just not for me at this point. I think you'd be surprised at just how far you can go dangling from the end of a duvet cover also - in fact, I'll bet I fly further paramotoring, than I ever fixed wing. This is probably entirely because of the cost, and maybe a little bit to do with the increased flexibility/freedom...

Hannah - put it this way, I already had my own cover on order for my PPL, and it didn't last long in it's "attractive" CAA issue wallet!

Sue - you'll have to visit the club one day ;)

Cheers

(Lister - don't go advertising yourself like that - this isn't a dating site haha) :E

madgav
16th Sep 2010, 09:06
PS: madgav - really sorry I missed your last post. I would like to wish you belated congratulations, and I do hope you're enjoying your new found wonders...

Thanks Lee :ok:
Just reached my first 'birthday' as a PPL, the year has gone roughly like this:
Good things: got checked out on a couple of new aircraft, taking friends (still got plenty of them to take up), finally got a trip outside NI, x-water check coming up, hoping to do my night rating next winter.
Not so good: Numerous attempts to get trips further afield haven't worked out, difficult to stay current on 3 different types, once or twice found myself just doing a few circuits to keep current, (un)availability of club aircraft (especially for trips).
Plan for the next 12 months is to get going places!!!

madgav
16th Sep 2010, 09:10
Ah, that lovely brown cover!

Mazzy - I've seen the powered-powergliders over Wallasey numerous times, looks great fun.

Did you get your PPL finished then Sue? I recall reading that you had a lot of problems with flying clubs etc

Pommie Paul
5th May 2011, 02:34
I know this post has been going for years now but I want to express how amazing it is reading all the original posts.

I am currently about to embark on my PPL joureny, doing all my research and reading as much as posssible before I hit the air. REading your first post was so inspiring, I cant wait to get cracking now.

PS I love all the tips and 'perks' if you will by hanging around the school/airfield. Aviation, such an amazing and friendly industry to be in! So a BIG THANKS!!

stevelup
5th May 2011, 12:39
Not so good: Numerous attempts to get trips further afield haven't worked out, difficult to stay current on 3 different types, once or twice found myself just doing a few circuits to keep current, (un)availability of club aircraft (especially for trips).
Plan for the next 12 months is to get going places!!!

All of the above would sort itself out if you got yourself a share, not to mention the fact that you'd almost certainly save yourself a fortune on the hourly rate.

madgav
5th May 2011, 13:35
All of the above would sort itself out if you got yourself a share, not to mention the fact that you'd almost certainly save yourself a fortune on the hourly rate.Funny you should say that.......
I was involved in discussions last autumn about setting up a group with 5 other people. One of the issues that arose however was the very high fixed costs (maintenance/hangarage/insurance) which if shared equally would completely wipe out any financial benefit for me given my anticipated fairly light usage. Unlike (for example) one of the others who intended to use the aircraft for hour building. Costs that would increase further if anyone was to drop out of the group. None of the others wanted to increase the size of the group. In the end of the day it came to nowt :(
It would also have been a sizeable step down from the G1000 C172s I can rent from the club :}

Edit: I love the way this thread never dies :ok::D

MyData
14th Oct 2011, 08:41
I've been reading this thread again recently, it certainly brings back some memories :)

Mazzy, if you are still around, how did the paramotoring go? It is something I've been interested in but haven't got around to taking the plunge yet.

Chequeredflag
14th Oct 2011, 10:15
Mazzy old mate, how good to hear from you!. I just happened to click on the thread, and found you are still alive! Hopefully you will reach for the sky again very soon!
From a personal perspective, I am still flying, and currently have 150 hours on the clock. I still fly Piper Warriors, but now mainly out of Coventry, where the Coventry Aero Club have two almost new Warrior 111's. I still fly the Warrior I learned on from East Midlands (good old Romeo Yankee that's had a recent facelift and is really quite a nice aircraft) occasionally - really love flying from E Mids, the controllers there are so helpful to GA, fitting us in between Ryanair and Easyjet etc. They even held a Thomson 737 the other day to allow me to take off - obviously they know who I am!!
I don't fly that far, this year having visited many midland airports, as well as Isle of Wight, Shoreham, Cambridge (several times) Sherburn etc. I am flying around 18/20 hours a year, and that's expensive enough!
So old friend, get yourself into the sky, and if ever in the Coventry area, give me a shout and we'll go for a bimble.
Cheers

CF

Fantome
21st Oct 2011, 12:00
Agreed, there are some illuminating posts on this long long thread, but also some rather self-absorbed, trite opinions. Excuse me if I sound a testy old fart, but when you pick up books by the eloquent, highly acclaimed, (and exceedingly modest), veterans such as Ann Welch or Alan Bramson, you realise
the reason for their pre-eminence. Bramson, for instance -

At the risk of sounding defeatist I must say that, although the stupid can be
educated, there is very little that can be done about the undisciplined.
Nothing will prevent the lunatic fringe from driving at high speed in fog
and any reader who, deep down, recognises himself as such a character
is advised to put this book down now. There is little point in reading on
for he is hardly likely to accept my advice which would be to give up
flying and stick to golf.

To the keen, balanced, and conscientious pilot who recognises his
limitations and wishes to do better for his own safety and enjoyment
I hasten to explain that this not simply a book telling you how to deal
with emergencies. Its aim is rather to develop habits and techniques that
will prevent the real emergency and all the risks it entails from arising.

I do not claim to have invented the many practices described here. They
find their origins in some of the finest training establishments, civil and
military, where the experiences of talented pilots acquired over many
years has been distilled into wisdom.

BE A BETTER PILOT p. 9-10

mazzy1026
7th Sep 2012, 16:11
Paramotor Lima Mike - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/ParamotorLimaMike/videos)

Lister Noble
7th Sep 2012, 20:23
Mazzy,good to see you still post on here,I have not for ages.
I still fly the L4 now and then and am glad you are again airborne.:ok:

mazzy1026
10th Sep 2012, 17:53
Hey Lister - good to hear from you. I too haven't used pprune for donkey's. Just thought I'd post up a new link for old time's sake, see which one's out of the old crew still read this :)

Hope you and everyone else are doing ok...

Cheers,
Lee

Edit: You know what, I've just seen the other posts from everyone else - how ignorant of me! Sorry about that. If anyone still reads this, drop me an email (address in profile).