Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

mazzy1026
30th Dec 2005, 09:27
I am all but one of those (I drive a blue Peugeot) :E

And I am not a LAYDEE

Lister Noble
30th Dec 2005, 10:48
Lee,
Nothing wrong with a Peugot,my wife drives one and a lot more reliable than a Masserati.
I didn't really think you were a laydee,did I?
Lister
;) :D

mazzy1026
30th Dec 2005, 11:44
Hehe bet your gutted now :E

GonTek
30th Dec 2005, 16:35
Point well made Mazzy.

Get that GFT done...............

Happy New year one and all ( yes all !)

NT42
30th Dec 2005, 16:56
Unlikely I'll get a chance to say this tomorrow - so happy new year everybody! Hope 2006 goes well for everybody!

Lot's of people in the run for "class of 2006", I hope to see some qualified pilots soon!!

As for myself, need to get a move on with these exams. The target's still June '06, but if I can get the theory done sooner then could be before, though!

Happy new year everyone! :ok:

DiscoChocolate
30th Dec 2005, 19:14
Its like when I met DiscoChocolate, he is a complete :mad:

I am just testing to see if you still read this

HAHAHA!!! Yup i am still reading this, in between my festive alcohol abuse...
'bout time you took that GFT, i want that free flight you owe me ;)

Happy new year one and all and lets hope 2006 gives us all some great flying!

:D

mazzy1026
2nd Jan 2006, 11:06
Cheers Neil - don't worry, you shall be receiving your flight, in return for your generosity :cool:

Hope you all had a great new year, I certainly did! And now that I am sober, I thought I would keep you updated - I am due to be flying a solo flight of approximately 1 hour within the next few weeks, to meet the license criteria - then I will fly a mock test with my instructor, before going onto the final skills test!

Lee ;)

NT42
2nd Jan 2006, 18:38
Good luck with everything mazzy! Sounds very exciting!

I managed to get a flight in today. Needed a quick dual check before being sent off by myself so we did one circuit. It all was fine, apart from forgetting to level off at 1000 feet! Thus resulting in being downwind at 1200 feet! Never mind, other than that everything was ok!

I dropped my instructor off, and called for departure clearance. The plan was a short solo navigation exercise to the south of Newcastle. As soon as I was at circuit height I could see the VRP in the zone, which I was going to navigate from.

Once I got onto my heading and contacted radar, things settled down a little, and I had a quick chance to admire the view! This leg of the trip, to Barnard Castle, was fine. I reached my point when expected, and I did some estimation work (1/3 and a 5 mile thumb), just for practice really. And it worked!

Next leg was a little less standard. Pretty quickly I was off course, and because I wasn't farmiliar with the area there was a lot of frantic searching for something which didn't look like everything else in the area! There wasn't a lot, excpet a windfarm towards the coast, slightly north of where I needed to be. I set off in that direction, being careful not to bust a restricted zone, and steer clear of a parachute drop zone! Both of which I managed (after some zig-zagging!).

As soon as I was overhead Seaham Harbour I called for clearance to enter the zone and rejoin instructions. I was still pretty far away, but wanted to have everything done with plenty of time! I flew past Sunderland and the Stadium of Shi...I mean light, and I was quickly overhead 'the bridges' (VRP), and being told to join left base!

Newcastle airport sudenly became rather busy - lots of inbounds, helicopters buzzing around, lots of airliners waiting to depart, and what I can only assume was a training flight in which an airbus (I think) wanted to depart on the opposite runway to everyone else! But anyway, I was asked to orbit by tower, in present position, which luckily enough was overhead St James' Park - which was very nice! I was then told to proceed to left base, where I orbited for ages, until evuntually being cleared to finals!

At 500 feet on final, you'll be pleased to know I selected the third stage of flap! :} A nice flight was ended with a good landing.

A very good flight overall I think. First time where I've doubted my position a little, but I think I dealt with it fairly well. Total time 23 hours now, so half way there, at least that's the theory!!! Bring on my first landaway (which might be tomorrow!)

Thanks all, and good luck! :ok:

mazzy1026
3rd Jan 2006, 17:19
Cheers John - some very good experience there :ok:

I am no longer able to access Pprune at work since the website was updated, our web blocking software now blocks it :{

Lister Noble
4th Jan 2006, 15:45
Sat and passed the written navigation exam today which is a relief,and I'm now starting on the Meteo which should not take too long.
That will then leave Aircraft perfomance and the R/T.
I have not been flying since 18th December as the airfield has been closed for Christmas and am now getting severe withdrawal symptoms,I have six lessons booked from Friday to Sunday but unfortunately the weather does not look that promising.
On a more positive note, I'm sure I've already noticed a slight increase in the day-length.
Lister:)

GonTek
4th Jan 2006, 16:47
Well done Jon

That first solo nav is daunting and Barnard Castle is very easy to miss.

Keep's you on your toes when there is plenty of traffic about, but ATC is always on the ball at NCLE .

Orbiting is fun (not) did 40 mins on my first solo all 4 corners of both ends of runway,must of upset somebody ?

Chk pm

NT42
4th Jan 2006, 17:09
Cheers!

I had a rather interesting flight (and first landaway) today.

We basically planned to Teesside, knew the weather was a bit dodgy. By the time we got to Teesside it was seriously dodgy. Lots of cloud which was low. No way we could land VFR. The choice was to turn back, or the FI would show me a nice ILS approach. Decieded on the latter, and at 500 feet or so, the runway suddenly appeared! My FI said "you have control" and I finished a good approach by him with a very nice (my best so far since begining) landing. (With full flap!).

Anyway, we couldn't fly VFR out of Teesside's zone, so again he took us out IFR, but once a bit further north we were in VMC and all was fine.

My navigation was ok, but I will have to do that flight again dual. Didn't get much chance to find the airport on the way down!

Got back to Newcastle fine, after a quick look at the Angel of the North, and the Quayside!

My flight yesterday was some more solo nav - MUCH more straight forward in perfect conditions.

Just a very quick post tonight, as I am shattered! Well done Lister! And cheers all.

John.

mazzy1026
4th Jan 2006, 18:32
John - your making some very good progress at the moment, a lot more than me! I am envious of your ILS approach, I wouldn't mind having a go (and making a total cock up) or being shown a demonstration :cool:

GonTek
5th Jan 2006, 16:57
Dont put yourself down Mazzy the first one is always the hardest,we all have to learn !

All part of the learning circle/curve.

MyData
5th Jan 2006, 17:25
A few days ago Mazzy wrote:

I am no longer able to access Pprune at work since the website was updated, our web blocking software now blocks it

I thought of this and so tried to access from work (as I am now) - and bizarrely I now CAN access PPRuNe since the software update - previously it was a 'banned' site.

On the flying front: well done to those with exploits to report. I've been grounded since my GFT back in Mid November! Even though I got my ticket on Christmas Eve I was let down by the weather over the holidays. So fingers crossed for this Saturday PM when my next flight is booked - but the weather doesn't look promising. Low winds but poor visibility. However I'm planning to get some revision time in before taking friends and family up as I feel a bit rusty so I've booked an IMC lesson and the weather might actually be favourable.

Lister Noble
6th Jan 2006, 13:09
Visibilty here a bit dissapointing today.
We manged a few practice short field take offs and landings and simulated forced landings, then had hoped to do some low level navigation towards the east coast but the vis kept coming and going,now I'm home it's improved again but that's flying for you!
I've learned that the experienced call these short intervals of improvement "The sucker's gap" which is quite an apt term.
Anyway I hope better luck tomorrow or Sunday.

NT42
6th Jan 2006, 14:17
Lister - bad luck with the weather, something we need to get used to I suppose! As many people have said "It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying wishing you were on the ground" - or words to that effect.

I'm hoping there may be a free slot tomorrow, (not holding my breath though). Want to get some more landaways done in preperation for the QXC!

And the ILS approach was fantastic! Obviously my FI got us established, and at 700 feet I had lost all hope of us finding the runway, but at 500 or so it popped up in front of us, and I was allowed to take us in to land (once visual). Something very high on my priority list once passed, the IMC. Not only fun, but may turn out to be very useful one day...

One thing I did realise when flying in instrument conditions is my confidence when flying has greatly improved, and I felt like a co-pilot, not a passanger, which could have quite easily been the case.

mazzy1026
8th Jan 2006, 13:37
Sorry for the lack of posting guys - we have had some incredibly unlucky times in the family recently - my dad is not very well at all, so my life has kinda grinded to a halt at the moment.

I am going to continue my flying this month, as intended - so there will be in update in a couple of weeks! Again - apologies for the lack of posting, I don't get much chance now with visiting my dad.

Best wishes,

Lee :ok:

GonTek
8th Jan 2006, 14:08
Hope he's better soon Lee

Family is more important believe me !

Best wishes

Lister Noble
8th Jan 2006, 15:35
Lee,
I'm very sorry to hear about your father,and hope all goes well.
On the flying front,(or non flying front) ,six hours booked this weekend and a total of 35 mins flown!
It is January and I must be patient.;)
How does that song go?
"Things can only get better"

NT42
8th Jan 2006, 15:36
Mazzy, I'm sorry to here that. I've been there myself and everything does indeed take a back seat.

Hope he get's well soon,

Best wishes.

DiscoChocolate
11th Jan 2006, 21:33
I spoke to Lee today and he is hoping to start flying ASAP, so an update will be coming soon :ok:

Safe flying guys.

Vee One...Rotate
12th Jan 2006, 11:17
My dad has also been a bit unwell recently. Very sorry to hear that mazzy.

Flying-wise, it's been an age since I posted in this thread but I did manage to get up on Tuesday morning, after an epic time away from my stead, to re-aquaint myself with what a wing was and why that whirly thing at the front...whirls. Just some circuits, short-field, glide approaches and some x-wind stuff. Been lucky (?) to not have had to deal with much x-wind so far but Tuesday was an eye-opener, crikey.

20 knots surface wind, a large part of it across the rwy in use - instructor demo'd a lovely approach and landing (crab method) despite the gusty conditions. My turn was, ahem, a little more "sporty". Definately a real challenge but I'm itching for more exposure to get me up to speed smartish.

If the wx holds out, my first little real nav flight will happen this coming Saturday. A little triangle between Leicester, Kettering and Rugby. If it goes well, there's the possibility that I can have a go myself the following weekend :) Having only got as far as some departures/re-joins on the solo front, I reckon this will be (if it happens) a GREAT experience :ok:

Bye for now,

V1R

mazzy1026
12th Jan 2006, 14:50
Guys:

Thanks for your posts.. I have managed to grab a few mins to come on pprune. Been a lot of bad news really, firstly about a month before Christmas, my Grandad was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma - something which shocked me a lot and upset me quite a bit. He is doing fine and responding to treatment well so fingers crossed.

The thing which knocked me for six though, was seeing my dad in pain for months (aching joints) etc and coming out in rashes all the time, then to discover about a week ago, that he has "Acute Myeloid Leukaemia". He is in intensive care at the moment and is hoping to return to his ward tonight to continue treatment. He was really bad, but has improved a little. There is only 1.7% of the population that will get this condition, and it is not hereditary - yet his Dad (my Grandad) died of it about 15 years ago, over the age of 60. My dad is 47.

As you can imagine, I can think of nothing else but the above at the moment, so pretty much everything in life has taken a back seat. I am looking after my Mum, who has seen better days.

I am determined to continue as normal as possible, including the flying, and so will see what I can conjure up next week - in the meantime, all my thoughts and time are with my family.

Sorry for such a morbid post - just didn't wanna leave any of you in the lurk, having been so good.

Lister Noble
13th Jan 2006, 18:21
I've had a brilliant days flying!
Very poor vis so we did low level (750ft) navigation out to Orfordn Ness via Framlingham then vis improvd so up to 2000 ,past Woodbridge and around Ipswich across to Wattisham for a MATZ penetration,then a diversion,eventually around Bury St Edmunds then back home.
Around 1.5 hrs flying,a lot on instruments as the vis was poor and I had no horizon.
Strong crosswind take off and landing,and it went to plan.
No flying tomorrow as I'm meeting up with a band to practice for a re-union party/concert at Hylansds Hall nr Chelmsfrd tomorrow night!!!
They have been trying to track me down for months and found me via Friends Re-united a couple of weeks ago!
I haven't played bass guitar for over 40 yrs and haven't seen the other members since 1965,I have borrowed a Fender bass and Laney amp ,and have been practising furiously for last ten days and it's all coming together.
It's really exciting as I haven't met them yet so will meet tomorrow morning for a short practice and I will report back after flying on Sunday.
life in the old dog yet.;)

Vee One...Rotate
14th Jan 2006, 11:30
Good morning of flying for me too :)

Plan was a short jaunt between Leicester, Kettering and Rugby but wasn't going to happen with this wx so my instructor suggested some instrument flight in the murk. This was something new and it sounded like fun! After a short intro to VORs, OBSs, NDBs and ADFs (with the help of a cunningly-designed cardboard instrument panel!) we were off.

Lost the ground at about 600' agl and didn't see it again 'till about the same on descent but in between we tuned in to the Daventry VOR, got a bearing and tracked inbound to it. Once above, we tuned into HON and did the same towards that as well, before flying the 010 radial outbound to take us back overhead Leicester. Made full use of my newly-learned TITS acronymn! One for the gents methinks...

We were up to 4500' QNH at one point and only just above the murk - it was basically all instrument flight. A real eye-opener - keeping S+L and tracking the VOR definately involves being fairly awake! Challenging but seemed to twig it and start to enjoy it up there in the white. Quite therapeutic! Heard a Thomson jet not too far away chatting to Coventry as well, nice (and disconcerting?) to think it was out there in the clag somewhere nearby.

All in all, a great learning experience and it has really given me a flavour of instrument flight. For anybody who hasn't done much yet, all I'll say is:

1. Scan scan scan. Don't get complacent. You're AI is the most important instrument. We had beautifully smooth conditions but it was still amazing how much slow roll you can get in a small a/c like the 152. When you have a real horizon, the keeping level bit is done without thinking as you're eyes see it straight away. Not so in cloud, it's a lot more subtle. Definately an increased workload!

2. As all books and pilots say, trust your instruments above your senses. We were S+L and instructor pointed out that, to him, it felt like we were in a right banked turn but he knew we weren't due to the instruments. I hadn't suffered any body-instrument contradictions up until now but the minute he said it I suddenly felt we were in a turn as well! All very weird...

Anyway, bye for now,

V1R

MyData
15th Jan 2006, 07:44
Just to say... I managed to get into the skies yesterday for the first time since my skills test. What a relief. I was getting concerned that I'd forgotten everything.

I wanted to go up with an instructor just to get me back in the swing of things. To make best use of time I had my first IMC lesson, and landed back in the dark - although the time doesn't count for night flying.

Today is looking good too - I'm going for a conversion flight in a Diamond DA40.

Edit for an update: Diamond DA40. mmm... very nice. A bit odd for taxying as you have to use the brakes to turn but it soon all comes together. 60kts for rotate with the stall warner blaring!!! The 'wobbly' take off run reminded me of my first ever take off as a student. The stall warner comes on at rediculously high speeds, but it is nice to know it is there. So fast, so smooth, and with all the kit in the cockpit it makes a nice change from the usual level of kit in a trainer. Full avionics stack with twin Garmins and an autopilot which was fun to mess around with. Slowing down is difficult, think about cutting power to idle on the turn from downwind to base and glide in. I've passed the check ride now I'm looking forwards to flying this beast in the near future..

Whirlybird
15th Jan 2006, 08:30
Lee,

I just got my PC up and running after the mammoth house move to the Peak District...how did I acquire so much stuff?? Anyway, got back on PPRuNe, and heard the news about your dad. Really sorry to hear it, and I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you both (and your mum), and I hope maybe things are looking a bit better by now. Don't worry about not posting; flying can wait, family come first.

Best wishes,

Whirly

mazzy1026
17th Jan 2006, 17:38
Many thanks Whirls ;)

Well I booked in for my mock test next week - hope all goes well! Nearly there!

Data - you lucky :mad:

:D ;)

DiscoChocolate
17th Jan 2006, 19:13
Wow good luck with the Mock test Mazzy. Looking forward to a thorough write up afterwards :ok:

g0kmt
18th Jan 2006, 22:47
Good luck on the mocks and even better luck on the real thing Mazzy. I have followed the thread from the start with total envy :)
This forum thread has inspired me to get on with the diet and shed the rest of the weight I need to get anywhere near "flying weight". At 23st7lb I have a LONG way to go (lost 1 st 7lb so far) and hope that you will all continue to post on the forum long past Mazzys undoubted sucess, purely as the spark of inspiration and motivation to others that the thread has become.
Plan Z Z plural Z alpha has me starting next year, fingers crossed.
Good luck to all of you already on your way to gaining your PPLs :)

Lister Noble
19th Jan 2006, 12:44
Managed to pass the met exam this morning,so that's one less to worry about.
Re weight loss,I manged to lose 15 kilos last year just by walking for an hour each day and just eating a bit less,no stupid faddish diets which don't really work ,nothing stringent just one slice of toast instead of two etc.
I'm hoping to get some flying in over the weekend,probably my first land away at Cambridge.

mazzy1026
19th Jan 2006, 13:05
g0kmt - welcome aboard my friend - good to have you posting!

I think the key word here is 'inspiration'. I remember many moons ago, I was pondering over whether to save up enough money to complete the PPL, or just start it with what I had. I made a post in the private flying section, to which I received a lot friendly, positive responses, saying that I should go for it and start flying - basically, a kick up the arse, and that if I didn't start then I would always be messing about trying to save etc. So I did - and here I am, nearly complete!

Lister - another hurdle of many - well done!

Like I say, my mock test is on Thursday, so I can 100% guarantee that it will snow, rain, hail and be generally blizzard like conditions all day!

Cricket23
20th Jan 2006, 16:03
....Had the QXC planned for today, but in the end I was beaten by the weather. What was incredibly annoying was that within an hour of it being cancelled, the cold front had passed and the weather was clear :{ Oh well, that's flying in the UK I guess. QXC, now booked for a fortnight's time. In the meantime, it's practice, practice, practice....

Looks like Lister's been going great guns. How many more exams do you have to do?

Lister Noble
20th Jan 2006, 16:28
Wow,what a day,started grey with rain and very windy,the front went through then a sunny clear day although wind was always strong.
I've had around 2hrs 30 mins flying with the CFI, including landings at Cambridge and Norwich,a MATZ penetration at Lakenheath and had four USAF F15 Eagles go over our head 3000 feet above us,they looked huge for fighters.
I also had some practice diversions with no planning,just eyeballing it and estimating heading with windspeed.
It was very windy on approach back home and gusting up to 30knots on finals but straight up the runway,even so quite a handful.
I said to the CFI "I might need a hand here !" but he told me to see how I got on,I managed most of it but it was very turbulent at 50 feet and I felt his re-assuring touch on the controls.
The Stearman was out flying today and it took two of us to hold it back against the tailwind on the ground outside the hangar before we chocked it,it was some wind!
A solo nav exercise tomorrow then my first solo landaway at Cambridge,either tomorrow or Sunday.

I have now passed the Air law,Human performance,Meteo and Navigation exams.
I have Aircraft technical,Aircraft performance and R/T left to do.
I thought the aircraft subjects were one exam but now understand they are two seperate ones.
I find the Airquiz site most helpful combined with reading and doing the exercises at the back of the books.
Now quite tired, but we are out to dinner tonight so I should sleep well!!!!

kookabat
21st Jan 2006, 10:51
the cold front had passed and the weather was clear Oh well, that's flying in the UK I guess.

Not just in the UK!!!!

A few mates and I have been trying to do a group fly-in thingo to a nice little airfield down the coast from here for the last three months - each time we try the weather turns to crap on us so we can it... twice it's cleared up a few hours after we called and cancelled our aircraft bookings.

Try again next week!

Cricket23
21st Jan 2006, 12:14
Well done Lister, as I said, sounds like you're getting on really well. Good luck with the rest of the exams.

For me, well, no flying yesterday coz of the weather, and today whilst doing my checks, one of the mags starts playing up, so again no flying.

However, my instructor has a Pitts, so we jump into that and head off, and what great fun we had doing loops etc. After a while he let me have a go at some flix rolls - me little 'ol me, I was dead chuffed.

I must admit that I was feeling a bit sick tho' so we headed back. But what an excellent morning after all.

C23

Lister Noble
21st Jan 2006, 16:59
Lovely day,blue skies ,little cloud and lightish winds.Lots of interesting aircraft in and out of Old Buckenham today,hopefully a sign of Spring around the corner?
Did an hours solo nav in Norfolk and Suffolk,it was great to be on my own again,all went well and according to the plan,completed with a 90 degree crosswind landing, but ten knots so not too demanding.
Tomorrow is my first land away at Cambridge wearther permitting.

Lister Noble
22nd Jan 2006, 15:12
No land away at Cambridge as vis not too good,maybe better luck next week.
So we spent an hour at 2500ft in cloud using the Clacton VOR and Norwich ADF ,very interesting and time well spent.
Even so,I've logged 4.5 hrs in the air this weekend.

mazzy1026
23rd Jan 2006, 20:06
Great to see so much decent flying going on - a flight in the Pitts eh, I would love that (then again I would love a flight in everything, something which cannot be achieved) :{

Still looking good for me on Thursday so got a lot of reflective concentration to do, so I can make sure I get things right :8

:ok:

Lister Noble
30th Jan 2006, 09:39
I had a bit of a problem yesterday on my first land away to Cambridge, the visibility was excellent with some scattered cloud at 1500 ft.
Approaching Cambridge from the east I could not locate the airfield, I over flew Cambridge and although I knew where it should be, I was concerned about the patchy lowish cloud and thought it best not to fly around hoping to locate the airfield in busy airspace.
I called Cambridge and explained my problem, the tower asked me to squawk and gave me an SRA bearing to steer for the airfield, I ended up at the airfield and had a trouble free landing.
The Tower was very helpful and I think (hope) I was calm re the SRA guidance.
After landing the tower spoke to me and asked what the problem had been and I explained that my navigation had been spot on to Cambridge but I just could not see the airfield, although I must have flown almost over the top of it!
I was told that it happens about once every weekend and was asked to call my instructor before I departed to make sure they were happy for me to continue the exercise.
They were happy and so was I, and the rest of the flight worked out according to plan including a MATZ penetration over Lakenheath.
When I got back I was half expecting some sort of talking to but not at all, I was de-briefed at length and told that I had done exactly the right thing, if in doubt don’t fly around hoping it will all somehow work out OK.
So how do I feel about it all?
I am a bit disappointed ,feeling a bit low and it has dented my confidence, not so much in my navigation, which has been spot on to date, but in my awareness of the terrain.
I told my instructor I would like to do the Cambridge trip again although not to land, I think it will restore my faith in myself.
He does not think it necessary but said if it made me happier then it is no problem but it will just cost me a bit more, although I need the solo hours anyway.
I spoke to a friend who is an airline pilot also ex instructor ,he told me I had done the right thing and that it happens to everyone sooner or later so it was good experience.
Lister

Blinkz
30th Jan 2006, 15:52
Lister, your flight just proves that things can and DO go wrong. Don't feel bad about it, the best plans flown by the best pilots will not always go as we think and you handled the situation well. Don't knock yourself about it. Good job.

Mazzy, any more flying yet?

Chequeredflag
30th Jan 2006, 21:09
Hi everyone,
It seems that I've not posted here for ages though I've not had much to say really!! I last flew on the 22nd December when I got my solo landaway in the bag (EMA/Turweston/back to EMA via Podington. All went fine, and subsequently waited for a break in the weather for my QXC. The break never came - every slot booked was canned through low cloud etc etc. Then it was Xmas/New Year, and then hols for a couple of weeks (Caribbean), back on Saturday last. I'm pleased I didn't book anything this week, 'cos the jet lag is really killing me, and flying would not be a good idea in this state (don't know why it's got to us this time, we arn't generally affected) It does make me wonder how long haul pilots get on though!.
Now I'm off to Spain for the rest of the week (business), so can't do anything until next week, AND of course I'm now out of landaway currency, as well as stalling/PFL etc!! I'm booked for a couple of hours next Tuesday to regain currency on these things, and get in some circuits to get me up to speed, and HOPEFULLY get my QXC done next Thursday.
I'll believe it when I see it!! I've got my medical renewal on saturday, at least that shouldn't be canned by the weather.
Good luck all
CF

Cricket23
30th Jan 2006, 21:23
Chequeredflag, this is exactly what happened to me. Got my solo landaway in at Lydd on 23rd Dec, and then nothing for a month. Grounded due to weather, Aeroplane going tec (twice), and no slots available. Thenof course as you say out of currency.

However, unlike you I didn't go suning myself in the Caribbean (sounds good), and went flying on Saturday. So, I now have my QXC booked for this Thursday. Redhill-Goodwood-Southend-Redhill.

I'll report back in due course.

mazzy1026
31st Jan 2006, 20:08
Yet again I am overwhelmed at how this thread is still going strong, even with my severe lack of input - thank you all :cool:

I did manage to get my mock test done (it's more of a "this is what you'll do on your real test" than a mock really). We did everything, including a successful nav, but I won't go into detail tonight - more tomorrow!

My MSN and Skype links should be uner my prune name now, so if anyone would like to join the party, feel free to send the invite :)

NT42
1st Feb 2006, 13:04
Quickest of quick posts - my computers knackered for now, so have to rely on school to keep up to date!

Great to see all the progress, congrats everyone! For those grounded - bad luck! I symathise, very annoying eh. Hope you all get up soon!

I'm currently at the landaway stage - got two solo landaways planned and then it's the QXC! Planning on getting met and nav. exams done soon, so currently studying for them!

Good luck everyone.

John.

mazzy1026
1st Feb 2006, 20:39
Right then - mock test/GST walkthrough.......

With all the recent happenings in the family, it felt like an eternity since I last flew. When I arrived, my instructor was out flying, and he had left me this instruction:

"Take us to Lichfield".

Lichfield is a small disused airfield on the north west tip of Birmingham - I thought it was quite a long leg, pretty much the same distance as the first leg of my QXC. This was an area I had not flow in precisely before, so I would have to pay special attention to features along the way (Crewe, Telford etc). The wind was 25 knots and from the north east, so it would be a slow initial leg. The vis was, well, rubbish - the corona effect of the sun was apparent, and this was to prove highly problematic later on.

I done all the planning - which was minimal to be honest, one leg and a return plan. I knew he would throw us off course for some dead reckoning so I wasn't worrying about the return journey too much. When we got about two thirds of the way down he said:

"Ok, take us to Welshpool".

I found it on the map and my initial thought was:

"(insert four letter expletive here) that's a long way off!"

It was about 50nm. He took control whilst I drew the line on the chart and estimated a heading to fly based on the wind. Bearing in mind that the length of your thumb from tip to first joint is approximately 10nm and 7 minutes flying time on a 1:50,000 chart, I gave him my estimations and off we went. When we turned onto the new heading, we had our first shock (well I did). Couldn't see a thing. The sun was dead ahead and the mist/haze meant that we could only see what was directly below us - meaning I had to work extra hard. I think the flight would have been considered legal for a PPL as we were not in any cloud and could see the ground - but anyone flying solo without training in this would be a fool.

I contacted Shawbury for a FIS and MATZ penetration without hitch and to my surprise, we were actually tracking exactly as intended, picking out features close by as we went. Welshpool is located (near or in I think - Neil will know?) a valley, so once we had this in sight, my instructor was happy with everything, it was time to do some radio nav. He said:

"Take us to Sleap".

"Great" I thought, Sleap is hard enough to find in full VFR, never mind in these conditions! However, to my relief, I remembered that Sleap has an NDB on the airfield, to which I promptly tuned into, identified, tested and followed (TITS !!). Before that though, I was asked to give a couple of position fixes using the VOR, which again went very well. After a few minutes - Sleap was dead ahead and as we turned overhead, I was asked to climb to 3000 feet for some upper air work. My feelings at this point were relief and excitement, as the Nav had finished and handling was about to begin - something of which I have not done in a long time, after all this navigation training!

First thing's first - stalling. Carb heat on, power at idle, ailerons level, apply enough back pressure to maintain height (not go up or down) and keep level with the rudder. "RECOVER" Nose down, full power, carb heat off (I forgot this the first time) and climb away. I was a little too gentle on the first attempt, having remembered my first attempt at stalls about a year ago, when on the recovery, I shoved the controls forward, and as the centre of pressure shot backwards to the trailing edge of the wing (I hope you are still up to scratch on your theory ladies and gentlemen!!) the aircraft literally took a dive, and our heads hit the top of the canopy. In the Tomahawk, simply by removing the backward pressure on the controls, is enough to get the nose down to a recoverable position. A few more later, including with flaps etc and it was onto steep turns. These went well - always remember to apply power as you turn, not once fully developed - I was duly notified!

A couple of rate turns (15 degree turn through 90 degrees should take 30 seconds I think (off the top of my head)) later and an attempt at a PFL (the visibility was shocking, and kept losing the field - may need to do one or two of these again) and I was asked to take us home, using only local knowledge for navigation. This wasn't a problem, as we were pretty much over Wrexham, so it was a case of heading north for a rejoin at Chester.

The approach was exciting actually - we were asked to keep it tight, having been given number one with a 737 on long final. The approach was diagonal all the way to over the numbers - very strange indeed! A successful landing and debrief, followed. My next flight will be a couple of PFL's with a solo on the end (I opted for solo circuits to keep up to scratch).

Until then, thanks for reading.

Waldo_Pepper
2nd Feb 2006, 14:08
Hey mate only just joined these forums, but great topic. I'm about 30 hours into my ppl but havent flown since July, so reading your earlier posts is good revision! Sounds like you're blazing ahead with it, should have no trouble with the test, look forward to reading about that! Cheers

Waldo

MyData
3rd Feb 2006, 09:04
Mazzy

Sounds good - and quite tough!

Did you do any recovery from spiral dives?* The other area I was tested on was slow flying. Bimbling about at 60kts (IIRC) and also climbing at that speed. Otherwise good luck in the coming days when you do it for real.

*I hadn't practiced for this either, but it came up in the test. So I did what I thought was appropriate: throttle back (carb heat on), wings level, pull back to level flight.

Lister Noble
6th Feb 2006, 12:37
I flew on Saturday with the CFI, practising glide approaches,power failure after take off and aborted take off's,and had hoped to get some more nav exercises in yesterday but vis was not too good.
But a bonus is that I passed the aircraft general exam this morning,which leaves just aircraft performance which I will take on Thursday and R/T which a few of us students will do as a group at the club, when we fix up an appropriate tutor/examiner.
I'm now thinking and talking seriously about what to do after I actually have the licence,I'm very keen to be involved with vintage stuff and offers of local groups and aircraft are being made and it is all becoming very exciting.
Lister:) :) :)

mazzy1026
6th Feb 2006, 16:25
Waldo - good to have you with us! Hope you can keep us updated with how you get on :ok:

I reckon I will be having my test in about 4 weeks (pending a few things) so am looking forward to that :\

Cricket23
9th Feb 2006, 17:40
Wel, I finally did it, after 2 non-starters due to weather.
But, almost a non-go today. Having planned Redhill-Goodwood-Southend-Redhill, there was too much cross-wind to land at Southend.
So, Redhill-Sandown-Rochester-Redhill instead. Lovely clear skies, and not too much trouble from the wind aloft. So, great viz, but will I spot the two grass airfields?! Yep, sure did, and without too much effort - I must be getting better.
Two concerns on the way: (1) I had the wrong frequency for Sandown -yep I used the freq from the 2004 Pooley's, but when it was all too quiet, a quick check on the map revealed all - one to remember in future. Concern number2 was the light. I had agreed a turn-back point with my instructor, and got there with 5 mins to spare.
Still, all in all, a lovely flight. Portsmouth harbour looked fantastic with the sun glinting off the water.
So, some revision to do now and then the skills test.
Safe and happy flying all.
C23:)

mazzy1026
12th Feb 2006, 20:57
Cricket - superb mate! What a great feeling eh? I was made up doing my QXC - I remember sitting in the briefing room a few months beforehand and thinking "How the hell wil I ever do that"?! Yet here we are, nearly qualified!

It's strange how we have to do Nav again in the test, having passed the QXC, which is the real navigation test - what are people's views on this? Would you rather it be a general handling/safety check for your skill test or do you agree with the current requirements?

Cheers,

mazzy1026
15th Feb 2006, 17:33
Well, I am seeing my instructor tomorrow evening to make a plan of action, and it could very well be that I take my skills test within a few weeks or so...

We will basically decide whether there is anything else I need to do (got 40 mins solo left) and discuss whether I am happy to proceed with test etc. I have been reading up on the AFE book about the PA38 - it includes all the notes for ground calculations like weight and balance etc, and this will be a good revision for the "day" !

Whirlybird
15th Feb 2006, 17:41
Wow!!! Go for it Maz. But does that mean this thread will end? The Private Flying forum just won't be the same without Mazzy's thread. :(

mazzy1026
15th Feb 2006, 17:47
Well, I was thinking of renaming it to:

"From Zero to 45 - THE PPL Diary"

If BRL permits this of course :ok:

mazzy1026
20th Feb 2006, 17:55
I have been reading through the CAA website, and came accross this: http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=90&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1206

It's a PDF document detailing the skill test etc - a worthy read for anyone taking their test!

I spent an evening at the flying school last week, going over things with my instructor. I am booked in for this Saturday to go over a PFL and only have to do 15 mins solo before the test (which is booked)!

So, hoping to get a writeup done for you by Sunday :ok:

GonTek
20th Feb 2006, 18:02
Well done on the qxc Lee, you will pass GFT no probs so just go for it...

Regards All

mazzy1026
20th Feb 2006, 18:14
I hope so tek - we shall see :eek:

Lister Noble
21st Feb 2006, 09:07
[QUOTE=mazzy1026]I have been reading through the CAA website, and came accross this: http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=90&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1206
It's a PDF document detailing the skill test etc - a worthy read for anyone taking their test!

Lee thanks for that,I've decided on doing the JAR/PPL rather than the NPPL and I'm getting near the test so it should be a helpful read.

Good luck with yours!

mazzy1026
21st Feb 2006, 17:43
That's good Lister - it leaves you open to options if you want to add ratings or take your PPL further - good on ya ;)

NT42
22nd Feb 2006, 16:59
Hello all,

Well I've finally managed to get flying for the first time since...28th of Jan!

I turned up at the club today not expecting to get flying. 10 knot crosswind, what seemed to be very low cloud with poor vis. Snow and rain showers forecast...it didn't look good. Never mind I thought, might as well go down anyway.

As soon as I arrived I got the ATIS, which was cloud at 3000, 20KM vis and 11 knot wind 30 degrees of the runway. Not too bad after all... So I got the wind and plotted my route. All was fine, but my FI was away examining somebody, so a stand-in checked everything over with me, and I was good to go. Rang Teesside tower, faxed Newcastle, and was about to step into the plane when I was told there's not enough fuel.

No worries, so we rang the fuel company and they said they'd be a couple of minutes....one hour(!) and another phone call later we were becoming annoyed, and make the choice to taxi to the helicopter area to refuel. So I got in the aeroplane to get it started. But for some bizarre reason it wouldn't! I played around, tried everything and after a while I was off.

Once I'd got enough fuel I started (which it did straight away making me a lot more confident - was going to call it off). Before I knew it I was whizzing along the runway and flying. Right hand turn, leaving Newcastles zone via the "Tyne Bridges". The route itselfs pretty straight forward - follow the A1 until it veers off to the West, at which point Teesside should be in front of you. Luckily I got there with no worries, and was given my instructions - left downwind for 05 - which was fine, but I was having trouble orientating myself. Couldn't work out if I was left or right for 23 or 05! Quickly got my pooleys photocopy out and got my head around it, luckily I ended up in the right place! There was a slight crosswind and Teesside too, but it didn't cause any problems, and I got her down nice and gently!

I shut down, and began the marathon to Teessides main terminal to pay the landing fee - really is a long way...

After a (minging) sandwich from the main terminal cafe, I was ready to go back to Newcastle. After a quick inspection from imigration I checked the aeroplane out, and got my taxi clearance. I got my departure clearance and was ready to go. Full power, everything seemed good, so off I went into the blue yonder. The cloud appeared to be lowering, so I decided to fly at 2100 feet, and was promptly handed back to Newcastle radar, and already I had the city in sight. It was becoming a little bumpy now, but nothing to worry about. One of my favoutie things when flying is coming back to Newcastle, being greeted by the Angel of the North, the Sage and Baltic...but most importantly, St James' Park. I know I'm home when I see that! But anyway, I was transfered to tower and told to orbit a while, when some airliners came into land. After a few minutes I was told to continue approach to right base, for 07. There was still a crosswind, but it had died down a little my now - in the region of 8 or 9 knots, so I elected to go in with full flaps. Now flyers from Newcastle will know what I'm talking about here: The aeroclubs "turn off" is pretty close to the threshold of runway 07. I've landed on 07 twice - both times dual and both times not managing to land in time to turn off. (If your not familiar take a look at Pooleys - runway 07 taxiway F.)

However, this time I was set up perfectly. Wing down to counter the crosswind, good speed straight down the centre line - I was going to do it - nice soft landing, flared a little too early but managed to stop before missing the turn in - YES! (To most pilots this will not seem like a big achievment - but I'm very proud of myself doing that, especially in a crosswind!).

So that was that. My first solo landaway and first time I've managed to not miss F! Very happy indeed tonight! Was great fun - after a fairly long time out I'd forgotten how good it is!!

Thanks all!

Mazzy - good luck with the test! And cheers for that link, haven't yet looked at it but I'm sure it's very helpful!

Someone mentioned earlier whether a navigation test should be needed saying as we'll have done the QXC. I've thought about this for a while, and I guess it's probably best to have a test - there may be a useless instructor sending his students away on the QXC who aren't good enough. Not very likely, but could happen. So I suppose it's right to have the navigation part of the flight test...in my opinion anyway.

Cheers and good luck everyone!

John.

mazzy1026
22nd Feb 2006, 21:32
JW - excellent writeup! Sounds like the perfect day out - all in good stead for the QXC !

NT42
24th Feb 2006, 15:58
Hello all, just a very quick update, took (only my second) exam today - navigation - and passed with 80%. Hadn't done much of the confuser so was very unsure as to how I'd do, but I passed so I'm happy enough! Next is met - next week sometime. Then I can do my QXC.

Thanks everyone.

mazzy1026
24th Feb 2006, 21:02
You done well there John - I found Nav to be the most challenging exam of the lot (read my post on it) :{

Now that I have finished the exams, I need something else to read - I quite enjoyed studying the subjects, on the train to work or of a night etc. Could always re-read Air Law :sad:

MyData
24th Feb 2006, 21:50
Mazzy, if you want something else to read you could try "Mechanics of Flight" by A.C. Kermode which is an excellent supplement to the stuff you will have already covered.

Other books I read during my training include 'The Killing Zone - How and Why Pilots Die' :oh: and 'Stick And Rudder'. Both are excellent reads.

BTW - I was out again the in DA40 last weekend and on returning to Sheffield found that the airport was CLOSED. Quickly had to identify a diversion airfield, calculate heading and distance, fuel remaining, and daylight remaining (only 45 mins!). Doncaster wasn't so far away so I would have gone there, I orbited for about 15 mins then Sheffield re-opened. There had been a training accident in one of the helicopters - I understand nobody was hurt. But it was good to see my diversion training being put into practice.

Although I had my trusty 1:500,000 chart, things were made easier with the dual Garmin GPS stack. A host of local airfields, ranges and directions was soon available :ok:

mazzy1026
24th Feb 2006, 22:03
Hi Data :ok:

Yeah I have heard about a couple of those books, especially "Stick and Rudder", I will look into those....

Can I ask - what were you initial thoughts when you first realised the airfield was closed? Was there any initial panic, or was it simply a case of doing exactly what you had done in training? I suppose it answers my debate as to whether or not Navigation should be covered in the skills test!

Good work .... :cool:

Chequeredflag
24th Feb 2006, 22:44
Hi all,
I've read about half of this oft recommended book. and it certainly does explain the physics of flight in a rather different way! I'll let you decide, but it seems to fit the job better if you fly a tail dragger.
I've now been waiting to do my QXC since the 22nd December. I was away for much of January, but I've been booked in just about every day since the beginning of this month!! The weather in the Midlands has not been at all kind to aviators (especially solo studes), either too windy, too cloudy, too much rain/snow, or too little viz. The frustration has gone away now, and I'm resigned to waiting for better weather - I am, however, really looking forward to getting it under my belt, so that I can move on towards the "big" one!! Everything's plotted, and I'm rarin' to go.
Reading some of the reports on this thread, I am still a bit confused by the different rules applied by different schools. My school is a "stickler" for doing things right - they have a great safety record and are rightly proud of it. There is no way anyone can take any "short cuts", if that's the right phrase. I am however still intrigued that some schools allow a student to do the QXC with only half the exams done. Mine will not allow you to even do the solo landaway without everything but Aircraft Tech. under your belt, and that has to be passed before the QXC. I'm very pleased to say that all mine are well and truly passed now, though like Mazzy, I'm stuck for something to read now. I almost feel as if i'm being lazy 'cos there's nothing to swot up!!
Anyway, I've got lots of slots booked for next week, so hopefully will get the next step done (though the long term forecast is none too promising).
Good luck to everyone, and safe flying. I'l not be posting again on here until i have my QXC report to hand!!
CF

MyData
25th Feb 2006, 06:58
Mazzy

The flight last week was the very first time I had taken my wife flying, so when I found out the airfield was closed I wasn't concerned at all, but I think she was ;)

At that time - I knew where I was (both on my chart and by knowing the surroundings outside), I knew where I was going, I had a good fuel situation, I had enough daylight. I also knew of 5 airfields easily in range that I could land at and had previous experience of landing at. I also had my mobile phone with me so that if I landed away I would be able to call Sheffield to come and collect me.

There were two others also heading for Sheffield and so I made contact and became aware of their positions as they too orbited. At the time the Sheffield radio was off air as the controller was at the incident so we were in contact with Doncaster - but keeping a listening brief with each other and Sheffield.

Now - if I'd been flying cross country to Lands End and got within radio distance to find it closed that might have been a different matter. I would have had to quickly review my chart to get a precise fix. Then review alternate airfields, calculate headings and distance, get information on each airfield etc. and then make a decision. I suppose that would be a whole lot more stressful. It reminded me why I always have my Pooleys to hand on longer flights!

Lister Noble
25th Feb 2006, 08:04
Just had my cross country qualifier cancelled this morning, 33 knots straight down the runway but too much to let me buzz off to Southend and Cambridge on my own.
I could have done some other stuff that is non-essential at the moment ,but they are very busy today so I have the day off and will have to be patient.
Re exams etc,I asked the CFI yesterday about doing exams before first solo ,he said that normally they insist on Air law before solo, although there is no legal requirement to pass before solo and in exceptional cases would waive this.
I hope to pass R/T this week and then that's the lot done.
Oh well,might cut the grass if it's dry enough!

Happyeater
25th Feb 2006, 10:51
On the 'exams before flying' discussion, I had only done Air Law pre my solo and still hadn't done anything else before the land aways and cross country qualifier. With hindsight, I wish I had taken Nav and R/T practical before the QXC and land aways, it would have benefitted me greatly. Everything went ok (sort of) and I managed but, the confidence of knowing what to do instead of 'muddling' through would have been better. I have told our FI this too.

Chequeredflag
25th Feb 2006, 13:01
Like I say, my school is very strict - the CFI and School Principle have their rules and rightly stick to them. Not really sure it's a good idea to send students off on a QXC without having the exams done and dusted. Obviously, however, there are some not so bothered!

mazzy1026
25th Feb 2006, 14:25
Some interesting things here :8

I think that my flying school, with regards to the exams, will look at you based on your performance and your flying skills, not whether you have ticked 20 boxes correctly. If you have done the QXC route successfully to a good standard, and you understand what is going on, then I see no reason as to why they shouldn't let you go - after all, how many PPL's do you think could pass their exams now after years of flying? I know I certainly wouldn't be able to without a significant amount of reading! Having said that, I have always looked at the studying side of flying as an enjoyable thing, so I have an active interest to learn it anyway - I do hear cases where people are completely baffled at the idea of exams and just want to fly - a wrong attitude IMHO.

(I have just noticed that I keep saying "With regards to" so I am not going to say it any more!)

When looking at the RT exam I was of the opposite opinion to Happyeater, purely because I found it quite difficult having not done much flying/RT at the time. If I were to do the test only now at this stage, then I am sure it would be 90% easier than when I took it! It's all down to personal preference I suppose.

One thing I do agree on though, is a disciplined and formulated approach to the PPL. Never disregard the studying!

I just got back from flying today, and have had an amazing time, I will be writing it up very soon (it will have to be, as I will be writing a beast of a thread, sooner than you think!)

Thanks everyone,

Chequeredflag
25th Feb 2006, 19:50
I guess I am at a bit of a loss as to how much the schools differ in their approach to these things. There is obviously a syllabus laid down which the schools have to adhere to - or do they? There certainly seems to be a wide interpretation of the "rules" if there is.

For sure, I will have already forgotten a lot of things learned from studying for the exams, and I'm certainly not being critical of any one person or any school (that would surely never send anyone off on their own if they were not a capable student), but perhaps there should be something of a more concrete timescale to have to follow. For example, I feel there is a lot of information to be learned from studying for the exams (Met and Nav particularly) that may well be of help if flying conditions change,the radio goes down or you simply get lost when flying solo well away from base!

Perhaps I'm just sore that I had to do the exams in the timescale I did!! I've never revised for anything in my life until now!!

Cheers

CF

Cricket23
25th Feb 2006, 22:24
I've read it somewhere on PPRUNE, can't remember where, but the opinion expressed was that some schools may adopt their policy on what exams have to be passed before your first solo, or 1st solo land away, or QXC, based on what restrictions they have placed on them by their insurers.
I guess there must be a laid down 'law' somewhere in the bowels of the CAA website, but I can't be bothered to look for it.

Personally, I was pleased to have completed the RT practical and nav exam prior to my first solo land away, as I felt knew (with my limited experience) what was expected of me. Having got these under my belt, the various instructors that teach me now use the book (ie the 1st principles) as a starting point and then pass on 'tricks of the trade'.

So I guess to some extent it's horses for courses depending on the many variables that exist in the flying world (student, school, instructor, flying conditions, etc etc).
sorry for the rambling post, I'll get my hat, coat etc!

C23
By the way, is anybody going to the London curry/beer suggested by BRL?

mazzy1026
26th Feb 2006, 10:57
That’s a good point actually about the insurance – it may be a requirement of different clubs policies?

Final Dual Flight Before Test

Well, I am nearly there. Today was to be a revision flight, of mostly PFL’s and upper air work. I decided that I wanted to do all my navigation by dead reckoning alone, and did not do any navigation planning before the flight. Today we were on runway 09, which meant a departure to the north at Kirkby or to the south at Oulton Park. It has been a very long time since I departed to the north out at Kirkby, in fact it was my very first dual navigation exercise (remember that one, the complete disaster)?

The wind was all over the place today, very gusty and just off the runway centreline, which meant that when we headed north to Kirkby, a lot of correction was required to stay on track. It’s amazing how you can begin to judge these things for yourself now, and it kind of starts to sink in and become a lot more natural. We headed towards Wigan at first, over Billinge Hill, where we would do our first PFL. It’s a lot more difficult when gliding into a strong wind, because you don’t cover a lot of ground, and what looks like an achievable field, actually becomes impossible as you continue your descent. The advice given to me was that if you are at 5000 feet (which we were at later) then you have a lot more time do plan your descent, and can maybe even spiral down on top of whatever you are on. However, when you are at 2000 feet, you obviously have a lot less time on your hands, and you may find that within a few seconds, you are on your crosswind leg at 1000 feet, therefore, always have a look over your left shoulder to see what’s there.

We then headed north west towards Burscough, where there is a patch of airspace that allows you to go up to around 5000 feet. It was a totally glorious day with perfect visibility and lots of sunshine, and the odd dot of fluffy cloud – we climbed high and got on top of a few clouds and it was beautiful. Obviously we never went into one and were always in sight of the surface, but it was nice to experience it whilst I had my instructor with me. Onto some stalls – in the past I have recovered too early and haven’t let the stall fully develop – this time I would! After a little more back pressure on the controls, the wings started buffeting (who can tell me what this is and why it happens – without looking at your books)? Only then was the back pressure relieved, full power applied and into the climb immediately – it is important to remember that the idea of practising the stall, is to lose as little height as possible, and the examiner will not want you to delay in getting straight back into the climb. We done a few more, with some wing drops and I was happy with everything, so we then done a couple of spiral descents (these are amazing when done right).

In the cruise, gently start a turn without adding any back pressure, keep the ailerons rolling and watch as the nose dives down and the speed runs away very quickly – the first thing is to cut the power, roll the wings level, then and only then, do you apply gentle back pressure straight into the climb. Let the speed bleed off, then when you reach climb speed, apply power as necessary. You can hear the air hit the aircraft as you speed up, it is amazing. A couple of PFL’s later we were on our way back to what would be a flapless (due to strength of wind) and bumpy landing. We had to do quite a lot of orbiting over Garston docks to let some of the 737’s in, and it’s amazing as to how difficult it is to keep a circular shape over the ground when there is a 30 knot wind! Eventually we got lined up and I decided to add a few knots onto the approach speed due to the wind, again, there was no flap. Oh I forgot, before the flight I was in the club listening to the radio and wind shear was being reported at 600 feet on final, so that was in the back of my mind. At about 300 feet – SINK. We went down like a lead balloon to which I immediately applied power, which I think I left in for too long as when we approached the flare, it didn’t want to go down, I reduced the power again (all whilst trying to keep centreline due to slight crosswind and gusts) and then we started sinking again! It was really difficult I have to admit, but eventually (were talking a matter of a few seconds, which seems like an eternity) it went down reasonably ok with no thud! When you see tarmac approaching rapidly, even though the nose is up, it is quite scary, and you start thinking “don’t stall on finals into the ground” etc. overall I was quite happy with the landing.

I was made up with the flight, and not only had I had a good revision but I actually had a good time too, same with any flight really!

I have 15 mins solo to do, and lets just say that I have to do it as quickly as possible as the test is coming up…………

Thanks again,

Blinkz
26th Feb 2006, 11:11
Sounds like a good flight mazzy!! Glad things are coming along (finally!!!) Best of luck for the test, you'll be fine!!

Stall buffet is caused by the boundary layer over the wings becoming turbulant just before it seperates at the stall.

Chequeredflag
26th Feb 2006, 11:37
Well done Mazzy - great write up as always - you're not far off now!! I'm STILL waiting for my QXC, having had countless attempts canned for the weather. I've got a lot of slots booked next week, and so far Wednesday looks the best bet. Problem is though, you can guarantee that will change on the day!!

Cheers

CF

mazzy1026
26th Feb 2006, 18:44
10 points to Blinkz!

Cheq - I know it's really annoying waiting to do your QXC, but believe me, once you have done it, you won't even look back because you'll be so made up!

;)

Chequeredflag
3rd Mar 2006, 18:24
Thanks Mazzy.
I had all the plane booked out every day this week, and still couldn't get the QXC done!! The frustration has now subsided, and I'm happily resigned to waiting for the right weather. This week, I really thought I'd cracked it on Wednesday - the early TAF's looked fine, so I headed off to the school, arriving about 09.00. Checked out the plane, did the full plot, and was in the middle of the briefing when the school boss came in with a long face. The 10/19 TAFs had just arrived, and everywhere was peppered with snow showers and CB's! It was a no go for QXC, so we went for a quick landaway at Nottingham airfield, cup of tea and a sticky bun and straight back again! At least I'm landaway current for the next three weeks.
Yesterday was also canned 'cos of forecast snow (and it arrived here with a vengence) - our house is directly on the flight path from EMA to Turweston, and I can always see if the wife's got any "visitors" cars on the drive as I pass over - keeps her on her toes!
Today looked very promising, light winds, scattered clouds at 3500' and plenty of sunshine once the fog had lifted (early forecasts said by 10.00am). I arrived at the school early again, and got the 3000' winds (020 @ 5kts), and once again plotted averything. Sadly, it was not to happen - at the 10.30 departure time, viz at EMA was still only about 6km, and Cambridge (second port of call) was 0200 in freezing fog"" and VV///. I hung around for a while, but basically ran out of time, the conditions still way below limits by the latest time of departure.
I'm away next week in sunny Spain, and back on Thursday, so I've booked again for Friday (with a possible on Wednesday if I can get away early). So, if any of you are waiting for the weather to improve for a solo landaway, QXC or similar, book it for next Mon/Tues/Weds - I can guarantee it will be spot on!!

Lister Noble
4th Mar 2006, 08:37
Talk about frustrating!
Was all set up to do my QXC today to Southendd and Cambridge,woke up to brilliant sun ,blue sky,no clouds.
Norwich TAF snow later this morning ,so that's out of the window.
I will fly today but not sure what to do,probably some basic instrument practice.

Did some flying yesterday dual and solo which was great as I had not been solo for 5 weeks or flown at all for 3 weeks.
Passed my R/T ground exam this week and have practical booked at Norwich next week and that's all the ground exams done, so all in all progress is not too bad.
I hope for better weather tomorrow for the QXC.

mazzy1026
5th Mar 2006, 08:42
and I can always see if the wife's got any "visitors" cars on the drive as I pass over - keeps her on her toes!

I like that ;)

I have a big writeup to do. I have made a ball's up, however, be prepared for a long post..........

Lee :confused:

mazzy1026
5th Mar 2006, 16:01
Knowing that my test was to be on Saturday (4th March) I knew I had to complete 15 minutes more solo in order to qualify for the PPL requirements. So, after 3 days of bad weather, Thursday was finally the day where I could go up and do 1 circuit. I had been going to the flying school each night after work. My instructor and I decided to have one last chat on Friday evening before the test the next day. I turned up on Friday, only to be told that I was an hour short of the solo time – I was shocked, but knew that it must have been a mistake on their records. I scanned over my logbook for about 30 minutes, and it was then, I realised, what a stupid mistake I had made. On my final leg of the QXC from Blackpool to Liverpool, I had written 1 hour 35 instead of 35 minutes. I was indeed an hour short. It was at this point that my whole world seemed to collapse, knowing that I had to do another hour and that the weather the next day was forecast to be good. The financial implications were in the back of my mind also, but not as much of an issue, knowing that the feeling of being able to be a pilot within 24 hours had disappeared. I know your thinking that the school should have checked this earlier, and maybe so, but it is my logbook for which I am responsible for.

After long discussions and planning, it was decided that I would turn up as normal anyway and just take it from there. My instructor phoned the examiner that evening and I hope he never got too much of a telling off! I have to admit I was mortified, completely disgusted with myself. All of the nerves which I had been feeling for a week had disappeared, because I knew I wouldn’t be doing the test.

Anyway, I turned up at 0900 on the day, and was greeted by the examiner. He is a real nice chap, and understood my situation. The fog was very thick that morning, and it was moving so fast to the south – he said to me that I could take an aircraft, do an hour, come back and then maybe do a partial test. I was feeling happier, but still gutted as I could not walk away in the evening, a qualified PPL. The examiner had slots booked after me, and due to the fog, I decided to wait no more than 2 hours before calling it a day. The fog did start to clear, and I was given an aircraft, however, by the time I was ready to go, I was informed that I should wait for the examiner to get the go ahead. After 45 mins or so, he landed, and told me that the vis was excellent, no clouds and no wind, and that I should go off for an hour and enjoy myself. That I did.

I flew north out the zone at Seaforth, and headed over Ormskirk armed with my camera. Got some cracking pictures – went over Wigan, then towards Southport to practice some steep turns and other manoeuvres. I was initially concerned about flying over a country that was completely white – wondering whether or not I would see the features I was so used to, well I have to admit, it was a bit more difficult than usual, but I managed ok! See my snow solo pictures on my photobucket account here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/d52/mazzy1026/ (http://photobucket.com/albums/d52/mazzy1026/)

It was a really nice flight actually, my first solo bimble! I was directly behind another instructor who was leaving the zone ahead of me, was amazing seeing them flying in front of me. I rejoined at Kirkby and produced a satisfactory landing. By this time though, the wind had picked up a little and was coming from over the hangars, so there was a little crosswind to contend with.

Upon landing, I discovered that the chap who was due to fly with my examiner later on had cancelled, and I was duly informed that we could complete the whole test, and that we would be taking off within 40 mins…….

Lister Noble
5th Mar 2006, 16:33
Great write up Mazzy,what happened next?
Another frustrating day for me.
Clear blue skies,quite a crosswind TAF 12 gusting 23 but not as bad at the airfield and just about do-able.
Spent an hour planning etc,all ready to go ,CFI comes in,my eyes light up expectantly,then the bad news.
The bloody PA28 has starter trouble,the mag/starter switch is u/s and it won't be flyable until next weekend.
The other PA 28 is being repaired after someone force-landed in a field,so all in all a very frustrating weekend.
Mrs N was amazed to have me at home on a Sunday and I spent the rest of the day doing some gardening,which I actually do enjoy!
lister:* :)

NT42
5th Mar 2006, 17:05
Mazzy you can't leave it there, how did it go?!

I had a very nice flight yesterday - solo landaway to Carlisle (from Newcastle). Was great fun, good visibility with no cloud. It was a little bumpy but nothing to worry about. It was absolutly beautiful with the snow on the hills around. The flight itself was enjoyable, two fairly good landings, with slight crosswinds, no RT cock-ups and it it gave me a feeling of what post-student might be like - bimbling around the country visiting airfields.

Anyway, next "lesson" is the QXC - can't wait/ I'm booked in for 0930 on sunday, so hopefully the weather will be kind - can't wait!

So, what happened mazzy?

kookabat
5th Mar 2006, 22:03
So, what happened mazzy?

I reckon he passed and is/was too drunk to do a write-up!:8

MyData
6th Mar 2006, 05:50
Quote:
So, what happened mazzy?

I reckon he passed and is/was too drunk to do a write-up!

Ah! but if that was the case he wouldn't have written up the activity before the test (unless he was doing so with a drink in one hand).

C'mon Mazzy, spill the beans - what happened next? Is this the end of this thread?

Great photos too - I was up over North Yorkshire on Saturday and got some great photos of snow covered landscapes. BTW - I notice on the photos you wearing your hi-viz tabard in the cockpit, following advice from an instructor I now take off the hi-viz on entering the cockpit. Something to do with it being 'plastic' and what might happen in the event of a fire :oh:

mazzy1026
6th Mar 2006, 21:00
I went off into the kitchen and sat down with the Examiner, he briefly told us where we would be going and some information/advice about the test. He was very good at settling nerves! Before I knew it, I had a route planned: from Liverpool, out the zone at Seaforth, then north to Cark. Cark is a parachute dropping site, which is north of Morecambe Bay – I have never even flown more than a mile north of Blackpool, so the whole area was new to me! We went north because of the weather to the south.

I completed all the checks, and we were both sat in the aircraft – I noticed he didn’t have his harness on, and when I prompted him, he didn’t want to put it on, saying it was uncomfortable. I harassed him until he did! I gave him a passenger brief, something along the lines of:

“Don’t touch anything, if you do, don’t panic, just tell me. Don’t talk to me if you hear anything being said on the radios or if I put my hand up (polite for “shut up”). Enjoy yourself, keep a good lookout for me, if you see any other aircraft, just tell me as quickly as possible. If you feel sick, tell me etc etc….”

He also said to me that, because I had a radio license, he was happy to do most of the radios – what a relief! I did do quite a bit though, all the way up to calling Blackpool. The takeoff was to be into 1 left hand circuit. On the way down to the holding point, I noticed the turn coordinator wasn’t working whatsoever, and the red flag was on – he promptly pushed the fuse back in! Sneaky tactics! On the downwind checks, I checked all the gauges, but I didn’t check them properly! he had pulled one of the fuses again, and he pulled me up for not checking them properly – I got the classic feeling of “I have failed already”. We carried on and he said that there would be no tricks in the navigation.

We departed via Seaforth, and he said that I was quite confident on the radio, I said, well I enjoy using the radio’s so that is always a bonus. I gave Woodvale a blind call, and also Warton – they were both closed. He then contacted Blackpool, who initially didn’t want us in the overhead at 3000 feet due to traffic, but he persuaded them and they let us through! Just past Blackpool was our half way point, he was very helpful and made me feel at ease the whole way. I was a little concerned about my height keeping – but it wasn’t too bad and didn’t go outside the limits. Now then, I was about to experience something which I had never experienced before – a pretty strong downdraught. With full power set, and lots of back pressure, I was having difficulty making the thing climb, in fact, it was just about staying level. This was do to the fact that we were very close to the Lake District, and the wind was head on, which resulted in the down draughts coming from the mountains.

Cark wouldn’t let us in their zone (well, they told us they were dropping at that time and please would you not go in)! I had to turn early, and intercept my next track, which was from Cark to Leeds Bradford. My times were all within a minute or so – I was made up with that. I knew I wouldn’t be flying to Leeds, and that the divert would be initiated. We got about 10 miles into the leg, and then decided to establish our position over Ingleton – a lovely walk which I done a few years ago with Jane, my g/f. Loads of you have probably been there. It is worth mentioning that we were over quite high ground, and it felt like we were really low! We had a bit of a laugh actually, trying to find the blue caravan on the top where they serve tea etc. my divert was to be over Blackpool – I drew the line with him at the controls, I was relieved to see that he was willing to fly it for me. I estimated the track and time/distance etc, and again to my surprise/relief, it actually worked – got us right over the airfield. It’s amazing how this dead reckoning works.

When we got over Blackpool, I knew the navigation side was coming to an end. He asked me if I would like to land……….

mazzy1026
6th Mar 2006, 21:32
After saying that I would not like to land he said to me:

“I am pleased to tell you that you have passed your navigation”.

Major relief at this point – I was chuffed as it had been so successful. I must admit, he did show me a different technique when looking out for aircraft in the climb. In the past, I have just lowered the nose, whereas he prefers to gently turn to the right whilst in the climb (to the right because this is the direction both aircraft turn in the event of a head on collision path) take a good look, then as you are turning back, look to your left. After the overhead at Blackpool, we headed a few miles out to sea to do our upper air work. The first thing was the stall, where he wanted to see me do my HASELL checks (height, airframe, security, engine, location, lookout) and for the LIFE of me I could not remember the last L – such an important one to miss! He duly prompted me, and from hen on I did not miss it out. It’s weird because I KNOW this, yet I seemed to miss it out so easy! The first stall I executed went well, however I didn’t apply enough back pressure and we lost about 50 feet – he was adamant that we were to not lose any height – so I done another one. Then, I did not enter the climb quick enough, so I had to do another one. The last one was perfect, and just to prove it, he made me do another, all with complete HASELL checks, which was fine.

Then it was onto stalls in the turn and on final approach, these all went fine and at one point I thought we were going to be in a spin – the attitude he made me recover from was mad! A couple of spiral dives later we headed back over land. I knew what was coming next. The PFL. He was very keen on me talking about what I was doing and what things I should be doing etc, especially in the PFL. I told him that the first thing I would do is put the carb heat on – lets just say we had a friendly debate! I kept missing things out, only little things, and every time he corrected me, I just kept thinking that I was failing or losing points etc. Anyway, started the PFL and was happy with the approach so far. He asked me:

“Where is your 1000 foot marker”?
“THERE”
“Where is there”?
“The small farm, 45 degrees out from the end of my field, which is THERE” pointing franticly!

I made an approach which would have meant we would have made the field. After I applied power, he cut it again! I shoved the nose down and muttered “nose down, 30 degrees either side, commit to land”. That’s what he wants to see.

We climbed, and once we were back up to 2000 feet, he covered up the view with his chart and I had to do 2 - 180 degree, 15 degree bank turns, left and right. I lost the bank angle a bit, and he made me do it again. It was at this point that he pulled one of the fuses again, which meant all my electrical dials went dead. I wasn’t letting him get away with it this time though, and quickly told him! It was time for some positioning using the VOR’s. He asked me to tune into the POL VOR – 112.1 and track to it and then away from it, then also the Wallasey VOR 114.1. After that, it was onto some ADF tracking, and I was happy with the way all this went – I was just wondering whether he was happy with all this! It was at this point, he asked me to take us home and I was starting to worry, wondering whether I had done enough or not. I found Kirkby and performed a standard rejoin to the circuit. He told me I had to do a flapless OR a glide approach, to which I chose flapless. After we settled on final, I was finding it difficult keeping the correct speed and attitude, but eventually it did settle. I landed, having reduced the power a little early, to which he promptly told me about after we took off again! This was to be the final circuit to land, and it would mean the end of my test. Now I remember on the first circuit at the start of the test, he pulled the fuse on me and had to remind me to use the carb heat – STUPID mistake, one which I have never done before, and will never do again, yet when you are under pressure on a test, the simplest of things become the most difficult. I landed successfully, not the best landing of my life, but certainly not the worst, with no bounce or float. I started to turn off the runway a little too fast, which he was quickly to remind me of. The very last thing I do is to not slow down enough.

I wasn’t drunk on Saturday night……….

benhurr
7th Mar 2006, 00:03
you was absolutely bladdered.

congratulations.

Sounds worse than my CPL.

Oh bugger please dont think about "My CPL diary..."

MyData
7th Mar 2006, 05:45
Mazzy that HAS to be a pass???

Congratulations!!!!

That examiner sounds like a tough cookie - but I liked the way he pulled circuit breakers, that would really focus the mind ;-)

And the EFATO after the PFL was just cruel, you just get relieved to have got the thing down and then that happens!

mazzy1026
7th Mar 2006, 08:48
You are right - I was very drunk - I passed :rolleyes:

Lister Noble
7th Mar 2006, 10:14
Lee/Mazzy,well done mate!
Lister:D :D :ok:

Whirlybird
7th Mar 2006, 10:17
CONGRATULATIONS:ok:

After several pages of congratulations, does that mean this thread ends? :{

Cricket23
7th Mar 2006, 11:45
Congrats. Well done for passing (and for keeping the thread going for so long!)

kevmusic
7th Mar 2006, 12:15
CONGRATULATIONS:ok:

After several pages of congratulations, does that mean this thread ends? :{
Nope. cricket's got to get there yet. ;)

Kev

BRL
7th Mar 2006, 12:21
Nice one Lee, well done mate. :):ok:

Lister Noble
7th Mar 2006, 12:45
Nope. cricket's got to get there yet. ;)

Kev

And me!
Lister:O

Hampshire Hog
7th Mar 2006, 13:40
Well done Mazzy! I don't much fancy the sound of your examiner - what a prankster!

I haven't had time to post here for ages - things have just gone mad at home and work, with just enough time for some flying as well. I did my first dual cross country the other week, in murky, wet, conditions: Wycombe Air Park to Newport Pagnell (which for me brings back memories of Frank Spencer and the flying lesson!). I was also amazed to find that this dead reconing stuff actually works - won't stop me buying a GPS for backup when I pass!

Waiting to do cross-country 2, from WAP to Bournemouth and Blackbushe, but the weather doesn't look like it's going to oblige this week. I understand where Ch. Flag is coming from. Looking forward to the solo cross countries as well and I'm determined to finish in the next couple of months.

In the meantime, I got on and passed the rest of my exams (save for air law which I have to retake because I've taken too long to do the others! Plan to do that on Thursday if I can't fly.)

HH

NT42
7th Mar 2006, 15:34
Mazzy, just to repeat what's already been posted and what I've already said to you - very very very well done! Dead chuffed for you!

Congratulations. Do the night rating or something and keep the thread alive though!

John.

DiscoChocolate
7th Mar 2006, 15:46
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Well done Lee!!!!!!!! Very very very pleased for you!!
Its pretty strange I can remember meeting you in the lounge of Ravenair before your first lesson almost 2 years ago, and now here you are PPL in hand and a fantastic diary to boot!!
WELL DONE mate!:ok:

HiFranc
7th Mar 2006, 18:01
Congratulations on your pass!

cessna l plate
7th Mar 2006, 19:31
Many congratulations.
Hopefully I will be joining you in the ranks before the summer is over

Well done again!

mazzy1026
7th Mar 2006, 20:43
Thank you all so much for the kind messages. It still hasn't sunk in yet properly really. I have had a fantastic time obtaining my PPL, and I remember early on when it seemed impossible. I recall pondering over whether or not to start the PPL, and I am so glad I did.

I cannot thank you all enough for making this thread such a success, without all of your input it would have been nothing. :ok: Not sure what will happen to the diary now really, I know there are a lot of people who are in the process of training, who have been making a lot of posts here, so who knows!

I think now is the time to organise a proper get together and meet up for a drink (or ten) one weekend......... PM me if you would like to do this one Friday or Saturday evening, probably in late April or May, let's see what the general consensus is - I was thinking of Oxford maybe, as I know a few of you lot are at OAT at the moment.... By PM'ing me I can build a list of people and keep you all informed of dates/venues etc.

Many, many thanks once again - it feels kind of weird now knowing I wont be making any more diary posts ("pheww" I hear you all thinking!) - my first diary entry started:

Flight time 0915. My new instructor is a real nice guy,

Happyeater
7th Mar 2006, 21:43
Yay, well done Lee, sooooo chuffed for you, mate. Great achievement and a tremendous thread too, it's given a pile of advice and hope to many students, including me.

Brilliant stuff and hopefully we can meet at a 'fly in' once I get my ticket?

maggioneato
8th Mar 2006, 07:27
Lee. So pleased to hear your good news. Congratulations. How about a new thread, diary of a new PPL. :E

kookabat
8th Mar 2006, 09:01
I second that, maggie! Nice idea.

Lee - top stuff mate, well earned and about time too. Wish I could join you for a drink or two...
Where to from here? And will we ever see ya downunder?

Adam

Chequeredflag
8th Mar 2006, 17:49
Well done Lee, a massive achievment!! I've just got in from overseas, and have to shoot straight out again, but look forward to reading the full monte tomorrow.

Really well done!!

CF

mazzy1026
8th Mar 2006, 20:46
How about a new thread, diary of a new PPL.

Don't tempt me! It certainly will be strange not writing anything after each flight. Do not worry, I won't bore you doing so haha

Lee :rolleyes:

GonTek
8th Mar 2006, 21:17
Well Done Lee.

PPL at last !!!!!

Happyeater and JWF soon ?

A V 8
8th Mar 2006, 22:31
Mazzy,

Very many congratulations chap. I was only introduced to this site about a week ago and have spent the last few days reading this thread. Your every work kept me clinging to the edge of my chair! Ever thought of being an author? I've picked up so many little hints and tips reading this thread posted by everyone active on this thread - invaluable.

Well done once again mate :ok:

AV8

Bob Stinger
9th Mar 2006, 10:11
Well done Mazzy , now youve done it ,drop me a pm if you want to meet up somewhere i usually fly three or four days a week.

Happyeater
10th Mar 2006, 07:42
Well Done Lee.
PPL at last !!!!!
Happyeater and JWF soon ?

Got to get my last couple of exams done then see if I can still fly after 5 months on the ground. Hopefully in the spring, sometime.

Young JWF could well beat me to it!!

NT42
10th Mar 2006, 08:25
With a bit of luck it won't be too long. As for beating happyeater to it - I doubt it! 2 exams and 30 hours isn't good! Next week that'll hopefully be 32 hours and 4 exams though!

Lister Noble
10th Mar 2006, 10:05
With a bit of luck it won't be too long. As for beating happyeater to it - I doubt it! 2 exams and 30 hours isn't good! Next week that'll hopefully be 32 hours and 4 exams though!

We could start a book,with betting odds.:) :}
I am 44.5 hours towards the PPL,done all exams except R/T practical which I do next week.
Was due for QXC today but beaten by the weather.

The weekend met does not look promising and I'd much rather be doing the QXC in excellent vis than struggling around with min vis requirement.
Seriously though, it is not a race,is it? .;)
No pressure then!

Happyeater
10th Mar 2006, 11:25
It is a race for some. I'm in no hurry really, want to learn properly than rush and do something daft in the air. I think I've done it the right way, quite comfortable with how it's gone so far (apart from the QXC episode!).

NT42
10th Mar 2006, 16:21
Nah it's not a race for me either, as long as I've got the ticket before I up sticks to university (or job) I'll be happy. I've a massive summer holiday this year, so I can get it all finished up then if I haven't already.

But yeah, not a race by any means (I have got 5 pence on happyeater beating me to it though!).

I'm now officially depressed though, the weather on Sunday looks terrible, so I'll probably have to wait another week for the QXC...I'll revise for met instead!

Lister Noble
10th Mar 2006, 16:28
JWF,looks like we both have the same prob with weather for the QXC.
It is definitely not a race for me or I would have gone to the US,I have enjoyed the last 8 months training and hope to have my licence by early Spring.
I think we will all miss Mazzy's literary input,I for one am not too good at the written word and admire anyone with that gift.
Am now just going out to do a little sun dance for tomorrow and Sunday.

Lister Noble
11th Mar 2006, 07:54
The sun dance didn't work for today and it looks bad for tomorrow, so no QXC, but here's hoping it's a good one next W/E.
Lister

mazzy1026
11th Mar 2006, 16:33
I remember going through a phase of frustration concerning the weather (apart from waiting to go on first solo). All the solo navigation exercises I had to do (out the zone, north trip and south trip) were canned so many times due to the weather it was unbelievable. However, I think it has been balanced out, in the relatively quick time I completed the QXC and for the fact that I completed the skill test first time without having to weather it off! I think all the bad luck with the weather will balance out in the end, so don't worry, when you qualify, I am sure you will be as ecstatic as I am now :D

Lister Noble
11th Mar 2006, 17:51
Thanks for that Mazzy.
I am reasonably laid back about it as I have been lucky with the weather overall to date.
The bonus is I spent the morning in a hangar on a private strip on friends farm just up the road.
In the hangar is a private collection of a P51 Mustang,a Harvard,an Auster,a Stearman and a modern Cessna .
The Cessna is used for business trips ,the rest for fun!
The P51 was having a service and a lot of the panels were off,I could stand underneath the engine with a lot of room above me,it's not until you are up close that you realise how large they were.It does aeros over here during the summer ,when it sounds and looks great.
Sadly,just a bit out of my price range!

mazzy1026
11th Mar 2006, 20:19
In the hangar is a private collection of a P51 Mustang,a Harvard,an Auster,a Stearman and a modern Cessna
When can I come :E

Hampshire Hog
15th Mar 2006, 10:21
Did my 2nd accompanied cross country on Monday. I wasn't expecting to, given that we were going to visit Bournemouth and Blackbushe, both with east-west runways, TAFs showing the wind as 160/17G28, but my instructor thought we'd give it a go. As it turned out, it was quite a nice trip. Out of Wycombe, to Pangbourne (West of Reading), through the Boscombe MATZ - I can't believe how complicated it all becomes when you have to start talking to more people! As we got closer to Bournemouth, over the New Forest I was too busy enjoying the scenary and suddenly discovered my instructor was tapping the HI and asking me where on earth I was going. Very professional ATC at Bournemouth brought me in for my first landing away amongst commercial traffic. I did wonder whether the £47 was really justified for landing, a marshaller telling me where to park (I could have worked it out for myself) and 25 minutes parking. However, we were soon taxying back to the western end of the airport for an easterly departure. I was really pleased with my take off (with the cross-wind still blowing strong) but soon found myself having lost the heading again. I failed to read back the much more detailed clearance I received from the Boscombe MATZ controller (I hadn't expected such a detailed one) but then had no trouble navigating to Blackbushe and talking to Farnborough (MATZ). The nice thing was that my wife brought the kids to see me at Blackbushe (my local airpfield) so my little boy was able to see what daddy keeps disappearing off to do with his (not so spare) time. Much better landing fee at Blackbushe £10 buys a landing and advice on where to park over the radio from Blackbushe Information! A quick cup of much needed coffee followed. Finally, a short hop via the Woodley NDB back to Wycombe and landing on runway 17 which, in all the time I've been flying there, I have never used. The Wycombe controller tried to confuse us by giving us a straight in approach when we were well south west of runway 17, but we got that sorted. Enormous fun - can't wait to terrorise my friends doing this. Hoping to to my first solo cross country on Monday.

With hindsight, I was left with several questions. If we learn all the standard phraseology for the radio exams, why do we then get told it's too much in practice and use less standard sentences? And why do ATC give so many non-standard answers? Not criticising - just curious as to why the procedures are not updated to reflect accepted practice.

Happy flying all.

HH

MyData
15th Mar 2006, 10:49
Mazzy and others... you may recall last summer I got the opportunity to visit the A380 fabrication plant in Toulouse. Well, on my most recent visit I went one better. Apologies for posting this here, but this seems to be the most natural place for such a posting amongst my virtual friends and an inspiration for those wanting to move onto bigger aircraft after getting their PPLs ;-)

Well, the early bird etc.... I had to be up and out by 0730 local time in Toulouse (0630 UK time). My hosts had been asking favours from friends of friends and so this morning I got a personal tour of the A380 by Robert Lignee (one of the chief flight test engineers). While waiting for him to get his coat (-2C in Toulouse) I was also introduced to one of the test pilots who flew on the maiden flight.

Firstly was a tour of the outside, close ups of all the huge undercarriage assemblies and the absolutely massive wings. Although I've seen the A380 numerous times, and also been on board B747s is isn't until you are standing right underneath one of these machines that you appreciate the scale of the production.

Then through the secure controlled door at the foot of the boarding stairs and up to the first deck. A quick look into the cockpit - but it was very busy as the engineers were going through the pre-flight checks, and then an internal tour where I've never seen so much cabling, pipework, computer kit etc. Robert showed us his seat at the control and monitoring station - it looked like something from the control suite of a nuclear powerstation with multiple screens, keyboards, dials, switches. And the stuff they can do there with the computers during flight is quite impressive - much more than simple monitoring...

The interior is vast. Oh, and here is a hint for those who like to look out of the window on flights - don't ask for an overwing window seat on the lower deck during check in. All you will see is a mass of wing. And I mean a mass - it totally obscures any downward visibility but it is an awesome sight to see such a large wing.

Amongst all the cable and computing kit there are seats strategically placed along the deck. These are for the test engineers to sit in to monitor lateral and vertical movements to ensure that the flight will be pleasant for future passengers. Vibrations are automatically damped by computer controlled ailerons, and there are multiple independent ones on each wing. The roll / damping and counter-damping was explained to me but it was a bit beyond my engineering capability to understand it all.

Up the stairs at the rear of the cabin and onto the upper deck. Again - very wide and long. Much better views though, especially of the other A380 parked next to us. Down to the front where the cabin is kitted out with more seats. I must request that next time I'm around I can get on one of the test flights in one of these seats ;-)

Back down the front steps and a final cockpit check before disembarking. On the ground the Trent engine that had been looked at was now with its panels back on - and it began to spool up for a power test. Quite an impressive sound. I asked if a photo would be possible (they are not allowed). A sneaky camera phone shot might have been possible, but certainly not with a regular camera and definitely certainly not when there are engine tests underway. We finished off with a driving tour of the rest of the Airbus complex. Saw the first and last Air France Concordes, both sitting in prime positions, the other monster buildings for all the other A320, A330, A340 etc. fabrication and paint plants. It is a bizarre environment, probably only here and in Seattle where so many huge machines are made on such a large scale. There isn't anything to compare with it.

I was impressed by the passion and enthusiasm of everyone I met. And especially grateful that they could take time from their busy schedule to give me a tour before taking to the skies for yet more in-flight testing.

Mazzy - if / when we have the thread pub meet I'll be able to give a proper update. Back to the PA28 / DA40 at the weekend - they will look so small and simple after this visit!

mazzy1026
15th Mar 2006, 15:41
HH - £47 !! That is a bit steep! When you do your first solo cross country, you will start to appreciate the true value of what you are doing - especially when you land and take in what you have just accomplished. Then onto the QXC - an even bigger/better feeling! I got my receipt from the CAA the other day, informing me that they have received my £159! Can't moan about landing fee's really when you are paying that sum of money just to have your license issued. They must get paid a fortune in that place!

Data - that sounds brilliant. Takes me back to my cadet days when we used to get tours around various hangars at RAF stations. I will never forget RAF St Athan - one of the busiest bases in UK. We were guided round all the hangars and visited several different squadrons, seeing all the aircraft stripped down and being tested etc. Amazing.

Not had much regarding the pub gathering to be honest, may have to post it in the bashes forum (saying that, last time I did that, I failed miserably).

(And BRL - you still owe me that first solo beer)

Lister Noble
15th Mar 2006, 16:07
Lee,
There are quite a few of us nearing the end of our tuition and hoping for our licence soon.
Maybe when we have them that would be a good time to meet up?
Don't want to pay a £47 landing fee though;) ;)

mazzy1026
15th Mar 2006, 16:17
Excellent idea Lister - lets see the class of 2006 a big one :cool:

Chequeredflag
15th Mar 2006, 20:08
No Guys, not my QXC, still waiting for a hole in this lousy weather, 22 attempts canned so far!! (honestly!), though I'm too pretty laid back about it now.
I now belong to the Daventry Flying Circle (set up just before Xmas by a bunch of flying enthusiasts from the Daventry area) - it's great, we meet once a month for a meal, and usually have a guest speaker etc. The group is mixed with a couple of local Virgin captains - 747/A340 - and others flying all sorts from gliders to Dakotas, and many from GA. Anyway, one of the chaps phoned today to see if I would like to go flying in his virtually new Robin DR400 (he's also got an R44 and several vintage planes). Obviously I leaped at the chance. What a fab plane the Robin is - 11/10th inside and out, autopilot equipped and quick for a fixed u/c job at 135kts cruise.
We flew from his private strip near Banbury and went to Shobdon where a great bacon sarny and a cuppa was very welcome.
On the way back I flew it - it was very different from the normal Warrior, and flying with a stick, and from the right hand seat felt very odd indeed. I made a bit of a hash of the circuit back into the strip before I handed over, off centre line (stronger than anticipated wind on base), too high and too fast (it just wouldn't slow down, it's a very slippery aircraft), so he had to go around!!
Oh well, I guess I had plenty of excuses!! All in all a great day out.
Good luck all, and well done again Mazzy - hope I'm not too far behind yoy,
CF

Penguina
16th Mar 2006, 13:56
Hey! You've done it! Glad I had a quick look now! Many congrats to you Mazzy. I might be seeing you in the sky oop north in April if you're there?

:D :D :D

Back to the revision...

BRL
16th Mar 2006, 14:40
There are quite a few of us nearing the end of our tuition and hoping for our licence soon.
Maybe when we have them that would be a good time to meet up?

How about meeting at the gliding thing we are sorting out at the moment. May 22/23rd?

Lister Noble
17th Mar 2006, 17:45
BRL,
I hope to have it by then,but it might be worth waiting a bit longer so we have more bods involved.
It wouldn't stop some of us coming to the glider do anyway.

mazzy1026
17th Mar 2006, 20:51
Yeah that would be a good idea - look forward to that one ;)

I just got my ticket today, it arrived recorded delivery and I can't believe how quick it has been processed! It still aint sunk in yet :8

Lister Noble
18th Mar 2006, 09:59
Mazzy,don't stop posting.
You could start one "My first 45 hrs with PPL"
Lister;)

mazzy1026
18th Mar 2006, 12:22
Pengy - thanks loads, t'has been a while! I look forward to meeting you again, and yes hopefully for a flight oop north!

Lister, I have just got the feeling back in my fingers after all this writing! I am gonna put the my diary posts in a word doc and see how big it is.......

:8

BRL
18th Mar 2006, 12:54
Mazzy, maybe you could have a word with the people at Loop Aero, the free newspaper that comes through the letterbox, and see if they will publish the main bits every month or something like that.

Anyone from Loop reading this, what do you think?

Chequeredflag
22nd Mar 2006, 18:24
This thread has lost it's momentum since Mazzy passed his Skills Test, but I though I would post on here that I have at last managed to get my QXC under my belt today.

Three frustrating months of weather delays (22 attempts canned), were finally put to rest today with a lovely clear day, and a great QXC (EMA/Turweston/Cambridge/EMA). All went smoothly, but as I had to do several solo circuits first, in order to regain solo currency, I was well knackered by the time I got back!!

Feelin' good though. Now for the next big one!!!!

Cheers all

CF

MyData
23rd Mar 2006, 08:17
Congrats Chequred! After all that waiting it must be really satisfying. I had to wait just a few weekends and that was so frustrating.

I was well knackered by the time I got back!!

Me too - it is surprising how much running on adrenaline can take out of you.

Lister Noble
23rd Mar 2006, 08:28
Very well done Chequered,the end is in sight!
I hope to do my QXC on Sunday and have also had quite a few canned due to poor weather.

mazzy1026
23rd Mar 2006, 18:00
Cheq - I can almost sense your grin from here mate :D Very well done, and keep up the flying honours.

Well, I have my first flight booked for saturday with a friend from work (he is brave) unfortunately my dad couldn't make it as he's not fit enough to do so, but still looking forward to it anyhow. It will be the first flight that only costs me £50 !

Cheers,

Chequeredflag
23rd Mar 2006, 20:33
.....for the congrats everyone - it was a good day indeed. I did some pre test flying today, sort of a mock skills test, and I have been put forward for the GFT. The dates not finalised, and even if it was, I wouldn't tell you!!

Wish me luck over the next couple of weeks or so however (unless the bloomin' weather gets in the way again)!!!!

CF

mazzy1026
24th Mar 2006, 17:58
Best of luck mate - fingers crossed for ya! ;)

benhurr
27th Mar 2006, 14:09
Hi CF,

Just to let you know that I am hoping that the weather is good on Thursday...

I wont tell anyone why I am hoping for good weather on Thursday, don't worry your secret is safe with me...

Happyeater
27th Mar 2006, 15:17
Good luck for the weather, CF. No idea why though!

mazzy1026
27th Mar 2006, 19:06
What's this you speak about?

:E

Mark 3:16
28th Mar 2006, 17:46
Hi guys,

I'm just about to begin my PPL training at Barton following a trial flight so I am right at the start of this thread. After reading the first 5 hours I just HAD to jump to the end to see what happened! :ok:

I'll be honest, I am cacking it about what lies ahead but unbelievably excited as well. So I'm feeling what you felt Mazzy right at the start, and if it ends up like it did for you I'll be very pleased. Well done!

I'll be reading off each of your hours' 'logs' as again as I reach each equivalent stage myself - the thread will prove very useful for bits and pieces of advice and clarity. What I have found heartening is the support, advice, and the camaradary and community that has built up during the course of this thread and Mazzy's journey. It contrasts wildly with some of the other forums on PPrune, where it's almost a no go area for newbies like me wanting a bit of information or needed to ask a stupidly simple question. :oh:

I shall enjoy reading again. Safe flying guys......right, off for hour 1! :eek:

Cheers
Mark

dublinpilot
28th Mar 2006, 19:55
Mazzy,

Congrats!! :ok:

I'm truly delighted for you! I hope, and am sure that you will, get as much enjoyment and pleasure from your PPL as I do mine.

Not sure I'd have liked to have your examiner though! An awful lot of circuit breakers being pulled! And I really wouldn't have appreciated having to point out local 'landmarks' during a PFL! Those things are tricky enough at the best of times without having to give a guided tour!

But you obviously made light work of it. Well done! Many congratulations!

When you decide that you want to fly across the water, make sure you let me know! A congratulations pint is in order ;)

dp

Chequeredflag
29th Mar 2006, 13:56
.........I have a small announcement to make,
"This is your captain speaking".....Yes.....I PASSED the GFT this morning!!!
Feels bloomin' good, doesn't it Mazzy!
Cheers all
CF

kevmusic
29th Mar 2006, 14:34
WTG CF! :D:D:D:ok:

NT42
29th Mar 2006, 18:07
Very many congratulations CF! That's fantastic, well done!

There's hopefully a few not going to be too far behind you!

I myself am waiting on the QXC, 5th time lucky?! Hope it doesn't reach 22!

Well done! :ok:

mazzy1026
29th Mar 2006, 18:13
Cheq - bloody well done mate - good job! Bet you are as chuffed as I still am! Get your papers off to the CAA with £159 and in less than 14 days you should have your poo coloured ticket! Well done again and enjoy the feeling - it still aint sunk in for me yet!

Mark 3:16 - welcome aboard mate, great to see new people even though I have officially finished writing diary entries! Good to have you with us and hope you enjoy reading. Don't worry about what lies ahead - think of it as more of a fun challenge rather than a hurdle and you'll do well. There are a few difficult things along the way, and at times you can feel like giving up but don't, keep going and before you know it you'll have your nice coloured ticket also. I notice your at Barton - I am only 30 mins away in the car at Liverpool so would be nice to meet up for a beer or ten! I am due to be visiting Barton soon actually for a trip in the 172 or Citabria which is part the group that has formed there, so may see you.

What I have found heartening is the support, advice, and the camaradary and community that has built up during the course of this thread and Mazzy's journey

Me too Mark - superb isn't it. I never expected anything like it and am really made up - glad to see it still happening also (watch Neil come on now and sl*g me off!)

Calum (hope I spelled that correctly) it has been a while my friend - many thanks for your post. I was very envious of you when we met and you told me that you had come across from Dublin - alone - and not above 4000 feet (I think that's what you said due to restrictions/traffic at the time). Quite an achievement, one which I would like to mirror myself.

Well done again Cheq - hope to meet you soon for that well earned beerage!

Thanks all,

29th Mar 2006, 20:10
Cheers Lee :ok:

Would be good to meet up with you for a chat/ale when you are over at Barton and if I am there. Medical - Class 2 - booked in for Monday, hoping to get booked in for a couple of hours flying the following weekend weather permitting.

Feel free to PM when you are going down and I'll let you know if I am there. If not, I'll be the short, bald, bespectacled Harry Hill lookalike walking around and fumbling everything nervously! :8

Cheers
Mark

Happyeater
29th Mar 2006, 20:38
YEEEEAAAAAAAAA way to go CF. Congratulations, my friend.

Enjoy your freedom of the skies and safe and happy flying.

Looking forward to the write up????

benhurr
29th Mar 2006, 20:56
Congratulations CF,

I can't believe your test was brought forward a day because of thursday's original forecast!

So what aeroplane are you going to buy then?

well done again

Chequeredflag
29th Mar 2006, 21:33
So what aeroplane are you going to buy then?

Thanks BH. Not sure planewise - I do like the safe, benign and pedestrian style of the Warrior, but was mightily impressed with a mate's group owned Robin DR400 - really quick, 140kt cruise. They are trying to sell me a 1/4 share!!
Cheers
Mike N

Chequeredflag
30th Mar 2006, 06:41
Not sure if I should do this on here, but a very BIG thanks to everyone at the East Midlands Flying School (especially my instructor Morris). Their professionalism, patience and help were of the highest order, and I can highly recommend them - if they can teach me to fly, they can teach anyone!!!!.
Cheers all
CF

benhurr
30th Mar 2006, 06:56
Mike,

I'm considering a 182 this time, again at East Mids, I might consider loaning it out!

BRL
30th Mar 2006, 10:33
Congratulations CF, are you going to be writing it up for us???

Well done :)

MyData
30th Mar 2006, 15:57
Congrats CF! The class of '06 is already getting well established, and yet another write up to look forwards to. Will your examiner take the coveted 'toughest tester' award from Mazzy's???

Mazzy - we really do need to have a fly in or beer meet to toast all our successes at all stages, May time would be good. Is the fly-in to Tatenhill still a possibility?

Pilot RatBoy
30th Mar 2006, 16:10
Well done on your PPL Mazzy. Just out of curiosity, who was your instructor and examiner because i fly with RavenAir too and your examiner sounds like a certain person i know!!

mazzy1026
30th Mar 2006, 16:34
PRB - It was Phil R.....Welcome aboard, don't recall any other posts from you :ok:

Tatenhill would be a good idea, it's just numbers really - perhaps a booze up first would be better before we all crash in at the same airfield :}

Chequeredflag
31st Mar 2006, 13:41
Congratulations CF, are you going to be writing it up for us???

OK, I'll do that. Actually, for my own benefit, I've written it up on Word on our PC......is there anyway I can paste it onto the forum? I may be a PPL now, but still somewhat computer illiterate!
If not, give me a couple of days and I'll redo it here,
Cheers
CF

HiFranc
31st Mar 2006, 15:16
OK, I'll do that. Actually, for my own benefit, I've written it up on Word on our PC......is there anyway I can paste it onto the forum? I may be a PPL now, but still somewhat computer illiterate!
If not, give me a couple of days and I'll redo it here,
Cheers
CF

The simplest way would be to open the word document and then press ^A[1] to select all. You then press ^C to copy. You open the text box here and then press ^V whilst your cursor is in the box to write a message to paste.

[1] That means CTRL and A together.

Chequeredflag
31st Mar 2006, 17:07
I had completed my solo land away on the 22nd December (East Midlands/Turweston/Podington/EastMidlands) after having several attempts canned by, yet again, the weather. After the QXC, all that would be left was Skills Test revision and the Skills Test itself.
Firstly, Christmas intervened, then, there was poor weather in the first week of January, then two weeks of winter sunshine (hols), then a business trip to Spain – and that was the month of January accounted for!! So into February – well the month came and went, and still no QXC. It was either wind, fog, low visibility, rain, snow or any combination of the lot you care to choose! Next, I ran out of currency for solo flights, then the same on solo land away, needing time back with the instructor (twice) for each of these.
So, now we were into March, and once again attempts were canned, weather again, until you’ve guessed it, solo currency ran out again!! By now, I had 22 attempts at the QXC cancelled because of weather, and to be honest, it was starting to get to me. It was being built up in my mind as a sort of barrier, a big deal. I found I was starting to worry about things like the approach and landing at Cambridge – no ‘rhyme nor reason’ to it really.
However, on the 22nd of March, the weather was within limits for three or four solo circuits, to regain currency. On the journey up the M1, I received a call from my instructor – make all haste, looks like the QXC may happen today!!!! Blimey, I suddenly had to get myself psyched up for this surprise. I arrived, and immediately set about plotting the QXC route (EMA/Turweston (land)/Podington/Cambridge(land) – never been there before, and back to EMA).
I downloaded the TAF’s checked the 214/215’s, the Notams, Royal Flights etc (only one restriction in the Southern North Sea - blimey, if I bust that, I really would be lost!!) I checked out the Warrior on its return from another students 09.30 lesson - my favourite G-CDON – all was OK, and it was off to do the circuit work. No problems, no orbits, number one all the way. The second landing was a bit of a bump, but the rest were fine (why can’t I ever seem to grease it on the runway these days?) Happy with that, and another 30 minutes solo under my belt (which should put me over the 10 hour required after the QXC time is added), I returned to the school for a coffee and Mars bar (I’m into healthy food!) to up the energy levels. I received all the paperwork for signature and off I went with the best wishes of everybody at the school – brakes were off at 11.40. The viz was pretty good at 9999, but the 3000’ winds were a bit fluky – variable, at 15 to 25 knots – not the easiest for planning headings!! Nevertheless, it all started fine, zoning out to the South via Sierra Echo. Once clear of the zone and its 2000’ limitation for VFR flights, Approach gave me FIS and I climbed to 2400, taking care not to bust the 2500’ lower limit of the controlled airspace there.
Clearing the Markfield VRP and the lower section of EMA airspace, I climbed to 2800’ (trying to avoid the even/odd numbers that many pilots choose, as an additional safety precaution) and requested, and got, the OK to change to Coventry Approach for FIS. They were as helpful as always (in my experience anyway), giving me their standard FIS squawk of 0250, and telling me to call overhead Daventry. The heading was working fine, and I continued Southwards to Daventry, and right overhead our house! I had told my wife roughly what time to expect me, and I could clearly see her in the garden waving – strangely emotional that! I resisted the temptation to weave or waggle my wings, and kept on the heading.
I called Coventry again, and they gave the OK to change frequency to Turweston Radio, who advised there were two others in the circuit, gave the QFE and the runway (09). I chose to join downwind, rather than the rather lengthy process of a standard overhead join (it’s a very wide circuit there for noise abatement reasons). The landing was pretty good (for me!!), and I was advised to backtrack at my discretion as the grass taxiway was pretty wet. I could see/hear nobody on base or final, so backtracked as suggested, keeping a good look out as I did so.
I parked up (at 12.25), shut down and set off to the tower to pay my fees, and most importantly, to have my form signed – the controller gave me a “good”, so I was happy with that. I didn’t stay long, had a quick pee (important at my age!!), decided against a cup of tea (a diuretic), and instead, had a swig from my bottle of water. A quick check of levels, and a walk around, saw me starting up and departing from runway 09 at 12.55, using one stage of flap for a short field takeoff (not strictly necessary at Turweston, but good practice). Overhead Silverstone Circuit, I called “goodbye and thanks” and changed frequency to Cranfield, who gave me a FIS, and told me to call when overhead Podington. They were quite busy with a lot of school traffic in their circuit, but nothing to bother me.
Something, however, did not feel right – the plane seemed to be struggling somewhat, and wanted to climb all the time – why, I wondered?
“You prat” I called out aloud, and put away the first stage of flap that I had used (and subsequently forgot about!) for take off ten minutes ago!!! I gave myself a b*****g (well, lets say a telling off!) and began looking for Podington. This should be coming up on the nose in the next four minutes, but, for some reason I couldn’t see it. Mmmm, what’s happened here? I rechecked the time, the heading and assumed it was a bit late due to having lost a little time with the flap episode. Still, no sign – looking anxiously around (calm down now and think) I saw it off to the left, about a mile north of me. Why? I still don’t know what happened, I know I was definitely on heading, which had worked spot on for the first half of the leg before going awry. My only explanation was the flukiness of the wind – perhaps at that point I had got a 25 knot “shove” rather than the 15 knots at the bottom end of the forecast. Anyway, forget it now, I’m back on track. Cranfield called and suggested I now speak to Cambridge Approach. I told them I wanted to call Bourne for any traffic information they may have – all approved, and they bid me “good day”. I tuned into Bourne and listened, but there was nothing at all going on, so gave them a miss and went straight to Cambridge Approach.
Cambridge said they had me on radar, to continue my approach, and call when the field was in sight. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, something caught my attention – it was a glider, going from my right to left, probably only about 300/400’ higher than myself. A bit of a shock, and right out of the blue – I convinced myself that he had probably had me in sight with his better visibility, but it made me resolve to keep a better look out. With the field now in sight, Cambridge advised to expect a standard overhead join and to go over to Tower on 122.20.
Now my earlier Cambridge demons came back to haunt me – what exactly did they mean by a standard overhead join when approaching, as I was, from the deadside? I checked out the template for the field, and surmised they meant for me to be overhead the upwind threshold to join the circuit downwind. However, I did not fancy descending to 1000’ on their deadside, ie overhead Cambridge city. I called the tower, and asked if they were happy for me to approach over the city - they were, as long as I stayed above 2000’. Ah! Now I get it, no problem, overhead the downwind threshold at 2000’, maintaining that height to turn back North, and then commence descent on the deadside. That way, the descent is further away from the city centre, with sites for a ‘land clear’ in the event of any engine problems. I joined the circuit and landed comfortably on runway 05 at 13.35. I was directed to park in row ‘G’ of the GA park. I shut down again, and hoped my approach had been OK, ‘cos I now had to get my form signed! No problem they said, my approach, landing and R/T had been fine, and they gave me a “good” again.
I thought I had better give my wife a call to let her know that I was still alive and well, and now in Cambridge – she sounded relieved, and put the insurance policies back in the drawer. This time, I had a quick coffee, and another Mars bar to keep the blood sugar and energy level up (does it work by the way?) but by now I was feeling a bit tired. Two pees later (to be sure!), I said my goodbyes to the GA staff, and booked out with ATC (by fax to the tower from the GA centre) for my return to East Midlands, the longest leg at 66 miles. Fuel/oil levels were all OK, and everything looked fine, so I fired her up and was ready to go.
I was told by the tower to taxi (brakes off at 14.15) to the holding point for runway 05, where I went through pre-flight and power checks. I was cleared for take off and departed towards the North East. I then turned west towards the A1(M), tracking around the North of the city, before turning onto 310 degrees and towards home base. Tower passed me over to Approach who gave me a FIS, until I requested frequency change to Cottesmore (MATZ). Cambridge said “goodbye”, and the Military guys granted a continued FIS.
It was now becoming rather bumpy as the plane was reacting to various thermals. At one point, the VSI showed +1200’ per minute, and the little plane ballooned upwards with no assistance from me! A little concentration was needed to maintain height for a while before things settled down again. My track was to take me directly over Leicester airfield, so I said goodbye to Cottesmore in order call Leicester on 122.12 for any traffic information. I was advised all was quiet there, so I changed back to East Midlands Approach for FIS, and a Zone rejoin. I was cleared to approach the zone boundary, and to call before arrival, but when the time came, I could not get a word in edgeways – the world and his mother were talking to Approach, so I had to break off and orbit just South of the zone boundary (at Shepshed). Eventually, I got through, and was cleared for rejoin and to a right base for runway 09. Eventually I was given clearance to final as number 2 to a Ryanair 737, remembering to keep high and upwind of him to avoid his vortex.
I landed at 15.05, and was cleared to taxi back to the school, where a (relieved?) instructor was waiting with outstretched hand. I was very pleased with my overall performance (apart from the flap issue, and getting a bit too close to the glider), but I suddenly realised I was absolutely knackered. I had been actually in the air for a solid three+ hours and it started to catch up on me. Another Mars bar, and a strong coffee saw me recover and begin to contemplate my next exercise, the Mock Skills Test, which will be…..
….TOMORROW? Blimey, I’m off home to get some sleep.

Chequeredflag
31st Mar 2006, 17:08
After a somewhat restless night (still on a high after the QXC), I turned up at the school for the mock skills test, feeling tired and jaded. To be honest, I didn’t really feel like doing it, but it was a fine day, with the forecast for bad weather the next day, so it was important to get it done. My instructor explained the score - we would simulate as far as possible the GFT, and I would be on my own, making all my own decisions with him just monitoring.

The first section was to be the navigation. .It did not get off to a great start – I failed to do a FREDA check, and the Compass/HI was some 20 degrees out!! No wonder I was struggling to find the route – after the error was pointed out, I quickly got back on track, and from there on I was OK. I was not really on form and pretty unhappy with my sloppy approach to the task. It was time to pull myself together. I had to get a MATZ crossing approved (Waddington - no problem, crossing approved), which involved passing over Scampton, the home of the Red Arrows - there was no sign of them being at home. I went on to easily find the disused airfield (Binbrook) that I was looking for (not that far from the East Coast near Louth). I was finally beginning to settle down. After the high of the QXC yesterday, I was on relatively poor form today, and feeling tired.

Having successfully found Binbrook, I was told to divert to Coal Aston, a small grass airfield just South of Sheffield, some 40 miles to the West. Not easy to do everything together, fly the plane, find the diversion destination, draw a line, calculate the heading allowing for wind, distance, ETA - a lot to achieve in a short time. At last, however, I was on the button, and got there accurately with no problems, except one rather important one - I couldn’t see the field!! I was sure I was in the right place, but could I see it? Could I “‘eckaslike” as they say in Yorkshire! I was sure I was in the right area; everything else fell into place, but still no airfield. In the end, it was pointed out to me! I WAS in the right place all along, but as it consisted of a small grass strip, and a well camouflaged green “hangar” it was difficult to see from the air.

Next, I was put straight into various stalls, steep turns and a PFL, all of which went fine. I was then asked to fix my position using the Trent and the Gamston VOR’s, again not an easy task when flying the plane in a cramped cockpit, to accurately draw the lines, It was OK though, and I was within about a mile or so of actual position. We then headed back to East Midlands for debrief. I was really tired, which I think hampered my performance, and I made quite a few mistakes. I comforted myself with the thought that that’s what mock tests are for, but I was not over pleased, and turning in a fairly average performance like that, was just adding to the pressure of the upcoming GFT. I perked up a bit though when the instructor told me in his opinion, I did enough to get a pass, so perhaps it was not TOO bad after all.

I was then told that the GFT would be on the following Thursday, 31st March. Bugger, is it really only a few days away? I’ve waited for that day to come for months, but now it’s here, oh my gawd!! I made a pledge to do a lot of thinking/revision in the time I had left, and arrived home for a whiskey (or two) and a very long sleep.

Chequeredflag
31st Mar 2006, 17:11
During the early part of the week, the weather forecast did not look too promising – the general outlook for Thursday was wet and windy. With my recent luck with the weather, it was bound to be canned. On Tuesday afternoon, I phoned the school, and they suggested that the next day, Wednesday (29th) looked promising, and did I want to pull it forward if the examiner was available. The pretty straightforward answer to that was “yes”

The nerves were really jangling now – a call came to say the examiner was free, and we would start at 10.30. I had spent the previous few days going over and over things in my mind, HASELL and FREDA checks, when to do them and in the right order. The PFL procedure, going through it in my mind step by step etc. “Relax, and enjoy it” came advice from the forums - Oh yeah? This is something I’ve been working on for 12 months now, and an awful lot rides on this one final examination, and I’m supposed to relax and enjoy it - GET REAL PLEASE!

I decided to stop revising at 18.00 on the Tuesday evening, and try to forget it. I went to bed fairly early and read a non aviation book before lights out. I actually went to sleep quickly, and slept well, but awoke pretty early the next morning. My stomach was churning!! I made a cup of tea, watched teletext, and generally tried to forget it was D Day! I packed all my things, ensured I had everything and left at 08.00, arriving at the school one hour later.

The instructors were busy refuelling the planes, and one by one wished me luck. The phone rang, it was my examiner saying he would not be able to arrive until 10.00am but gave me the route to plot and his weight. Basically, I was to zone out to the South to Markfield VRP, then head for a disused airfield in Bedfordshire, before turning west for another disused field in Oxfordshire, and back to EMA. Having committed the route to paper, I marked on all the Frequency change points, FREDA points (as reminders) and put the 3000’ wind direction/speed on the chart (260 degrees at 20kts), then I completed the flight plan. I carefully noted down all the frequencies I might need, and those either side of the route in case of (!) any diversion.

I also noted the Cranfield and Daventry VOR frequencies. I checked the Notams, Royal Flights, got the TAFs and METARs. I then checked the TAS (103 knots), distances, times en route, fuel requirements, weight and balance calculations, and the myriad of other things you have to do pre flight - I was busy, and feeling a bit more relaxed.

10.00am arrived very quickly, but I had everything covered except pre flighting the plane. I went outside to check out Oscar November, only to discover, that in the last half an hour, the skies had darkened, there was now low cloud, and it was raining! I DON’T BELIEVE IT!! I completed the pre flight checks, set up the necessary radio frequencies for the first part of the flight, and punched in the planned VOR frequencies. I returned to the office, met my examiner (who’s day job is flying wide bodied Airbus A300’s, lucky so and so!) and suggested that if I was going solo VFR, I would consider cancelling the flight due to the weather. Thankfully, whilst acknowledging my caution, he indicated it would be fine!

I went out to the plane and got settled in, shortly followed by the most important person in my life at that precise moment! I explained that I would treat him as if he was my neighbour, who has never been in a small plane before “That’s fine” he said “Has she got big tits?” I roared with nervous laughter. I’m going to like this chap – he cracked another couple of jokes about Noddy and Big Ears, and it was obvious he was determined to lower any stress level I may be experiencing.

I gave him a full briefing. Do not touch anything, tell me if you do, feet off the pedals, the location of the emergency items (extinguisher and first aid box), safety belt and door operation and asked him to shout if he saw another aircraft in the sky, no matter whether he thought I’d already seen it. I fired up the motor, collected the ATIS (information PAPA, runway 27, QNH 1005, winds 220 at 7, Ground closed), did a full instrument check, T’s and P’s etc, making sure I said everything out loud so he knew what I was doing. I taxied forward to initial hold at Mike Alpha and called the Tower. “Taxi to and hold at Sierra 1 for runway 27, QNH 1005” came the reply. I read it all back and taxied out to S1, checking the compass and HI for correct movement, and the turn coordinator both on left and right turns.

I ensured the compass and HI were properly aligned, arrived at the hold and carried out power checks etc. All was well, called ready for departure, and was told to hold position and line up after the landing 737. Mr Ryanair went passed and I entered 27 and lined up ready to go. I checked everything again, a quick burst of carb heat to be sure, all lights on, everything ready.

“Golf Oscar November, you are cleared for a Sierra Echo departure to the South, not above 2000 VFR” I acknowledged, and heard in return “read back is correct, you are cleared for take off” Oh well, here we go, opened up to full power, speaking out loud “full power, T & P’s OK, speed increasing”

Sixty knots, rotate, and up, up and away! Passing 300’ AGL, I heard “Oh dear, we’ve suffered engine failure!” as he closed the throttle. OK, we have an EFATO eh? Pitch down, full flaps, touch checks only but call them out loud – no problem there’s plenty of runway left to get back down. “OK Mike, climb away” I called the tower to report climbing again and we cleared the boundary. 500’ AGL arrived and I started a gentle 15 degree climbing left turn to a heading of 150 degrees for the correct zone exit. 1000’ AGL, so fuel pump off, transponder on 7000 Mode Charlie. Approaching Shepshed East I called “Golf Oscar November, Zoning out Sierra Echo” Tower acknowledged and passed me over to Approach, who gave me a FIS. The weather was not nice however, low cloud, raining and not much visibility, probably no more than 7000 metres. This was going to be a tough test.

“I think with the cloud level being about 2000’, we had better avoid Leicester City (original route at 3000’ for land clear), so track around the North of the City, and pick up your original route overhead Leicester Airport” Great!! The visibility is pretty poor and I’m now taken off my route and relative comfort zone, but I find my way, and a few minutes later, Leicester Airport came up on the nose. “You pick up your heading and I’ll give Leicester a call” What a nice man my examiner is! I carry out a FREDA check, align compass/HI, all OK.

I calculated a new ETA for the first waypoint, having had 10 miles chopped off the original route, and concentrated hard to stay on track. I changed to Cottesmore for a FIS and they were very obliging, warning of a Harrier that almost immediately flew straight over us - awesome beast that was, pleased we’re not in a dog fight with that!!

Various towns came up on the dot - there’s the A14 right where it should be, a couple of lakes - yep we were smack on it. I couldn’t see far ahead though, and I reckoned the airfield I’m looking for would appear in about three minutes. There it was, bang on the nose - just to be sure I looked for and established a couple of identifying features, and confirmed it to the boss. He’s happy.

I now turned West onto 260 for the next waypoint, some 50 miles distant, stopwatch reset, ETA calculated (16 past the hour) and off we went. The cloud level was still pretty low at 2500’ish, so we were bimbling along at 2000’ on the QNH. I spotted the disused and massive Bedford aerodrome, and the Santa Pod raceway, confirming we were on the correct heading. “OK Mike, do you know where we are?” “Yes, overhead Billing Aquadrome, just South of Northampton” I said confidently. “OK, I want you to divert to Leicester Airfield, do what’s necessary to get us there”

This is never easy, but I grabbed the chart, and drew as steady a line as I could, and calculated 340 degrees, less a bit for the 260 winds, let’s say 330. Distance, according to the thumb was 25 miles, ground speed, near enough 95 kts and about 17 minutes. I calculated the ETA and set off.

After a few minutes, he said “that’s fine, now I want you to track the 250 radial to Daventry VOR”. There’s no rest for the wicked here is there? Right, setting 250 on the clock, I turned a little to intercept the beam at a lesser angle, and wait for the needle to swing. Eventually it started to move into the centre, and once aligned, I set a heading of 250 to track to it. With the wind up here at 260, there’s no need for any substantial heading correction, so I settled in for a slightly quieter time. NO CHANCE!!

“That’s fine Mike, and that’s the navigation bit over with, so now we need to tackle the upper level stuff” The problem was the cloud base, which was still only about 2000’ or so. We headed back north towards Leicester. There was nothing else for it but to climb through the murk, to find clearer conditions. “OK, up you go” he said. Full power and I climbed into the cloud. Now, I’ve done loads of instrument stuff at home on the Microsoft simulator, but to do it for real was something else! Concentrating really hard on the Attitude Indicator, I remembered to rely on the instrument and not my senses. Actually, that home stuff really helped, because I held it nice and steady for what seemed ages, turning as instructed firstly 90 degrees to the left (gentle turn) then to the right, and levelling off at 4000’, still in cloud. “Hmmm, this isn’t much good, OK let’s go higher”. So, up I went again, and as 4500’ passed, we popped out into clear air. There was still cloud above, but we could see off to the East was a nice clear patch with the ground in view, so we headed off in that direction.

We were now receiving FIS from Cottesmore once again, and I was told “OK, whilst you are doing the next exercises, I will handle the navigation and the radio” We went into the various upper air exercises, firstly the steep turn - no problem. Then stalling in clean configuration (I remembered to do the HASELL check!), then with two stages of flap, and in a slow turn as if turning onto final - all OK. Boy I was now actually enjoying it, and there was some good banter inside the plane, but I was getting knackered, AND I needed a pee!!

That section over, we went back down through the cloud (it was great fun doing this IMC stuff, I’ll have to get that under my belt sometime) and down to 2000’. Finding a gap in the rain showers put me onto a heading of 260 degrees (smack into the wind) and the PFL. Again, that went better than expected, a kindly farmer had lit a bonfire to confirm the wind, and there was a perfect field straight ahead! I trimmed for 70 knots best glide speed (drifted a little high to 80 knots a couple of times) and went through the engine restart procedure, called a Mayday, “put” 7700 in the transponder, and at the right time shoved in first stage of flap. We were pretty low by now, and he finally called “OK climb” Phew, that went OK I think, we’ll see!!

We now headed back to East Midlands airport, and I had to demonstrate some slow flying (70 knots clean) on the way. On arrival at East Midlands, he wanted me to firstly carry out a standard rejoin and normal landing (or touch and go). I was told to ask for three or four circuits which were approved. Descending on approach to left base for runway 27 at 1500’, we were suddenly confronted by a very large hawk that flew rather too close to our port wing – I wouldn’t have wanted to hit it, that’s for sure! Cleared to final number two behind another school plane, I concentrated on maintaining a consistent approach speed – the landing? Well it was OK but could have done with a touch more right rudder to offset the light crosswind, so there was a bit of a lurch, not bad, but not good!! I apologised to let him know that it was not my best… “No problem” was the reply.

There followed three more circuits, a flapless landing, a short field landing and, with the towers’ permission a stop and go. I was now desperate for a pee after two and a half hours in the air, but luckily we had finished, so I landed for the last time. I taxied back to the school, and whilst I tidied everything up, he went back inside, even taking my gear with him - told you he was a nice man! Another instructor taxied past and put his thumbs up in a questioning manner. I shrugged my shoulders, nothing had been said.

I went inside and after a much needed comfort break, we retired to a briefing room. Still no answer to my silent question - in my head I was screaming at him “HAVE I PASSED?” After some time filling in forms, he said “Oh sorry, forgot to say, you’ve passed” That was the sweetest sound I have heard for a long time. “You did very well” he said “all in all, a good GFT”. I could have kissed him, but instead offered him a Mars bar from my flight bag, and bought him a coffee.

So that’s it, I’m a pilot! Fantastic!! After fourteen months, 70 hours total and seven exams I’m finally there at the ripe old age of 62. Has it been worth it? Most definitely yes - I’ve had a couple of wobbles along the way, once after a poor days flying (though I was unknowingly sickening for flu at the time), and once after failing the Met exam (my favourite subject), which I passed two days later with 100%

Now what? As I write this, I’m feeling strangely under whelmed by my achievement - almost an anti-climax, strange. I’ve built up good friends at the school, who have been tremendous, especially my long suffering instructor Morris. I intend to hire my mistress out at least twice a month this Summer, and learn to use my shiny new Garmin 296 moving map GPS at the same time, so I’ll be keeping in touch with them all. All the paperwork has now gone off to the CAA, and I eagerly await my lovely new licence.

Finally, my thanks to my wife Marie for her Xmas present that kicked it all off, and her unstinting encouragement over the past year. What a shame she suffers from terrible claustrophobia and will be unable to fly with me…...………well, that’s her excuse and she’s sticking to it!!

NT42
31st Mar 2006, 17:56
Congratulations again! Three fantastic write ups, thanks!

Well done again on such a great achievement, hope you enjoy your new privileges!

MyData
1st Apr 2006, 05:26
CF, wow! Three awesome write ups. Fantastic reading. From now on you will be known as the 'Mars bar and coffee guy' :ok:

Lister Noble
1st Apr 2006, 15:59
CF,three brilliant write-ups all of which are very helpful to me as I'm at the QXC/skills test stage and also 62,until May!
I just hope it all goes half as well for me as yours did.
Well done again and lots of happy and safe flying.

Chequeredflag
2nd Apr 2006, 09:21
I'm considering a 182 this time, again at East Mids, I might consider loaning it out!
BenH - that sounds interesting. Is the 182 a "complex" 172?
Cheers
CF

Happyeater
3rd Apr 2006, 20:13
Finished the Exams yesterday, now got a block of flying booked and I can't wait to get back up in the sky again! Hope to get it all done this Spring.

GonTek
4th Apr 2006, 18:58
Well done Cheq,its all worth it in the end.

you will be nxt Happy......

Safe flying all.

HiFranc
4th Apr 2006, 23:27
Congratulations on passing, Chequeredflag.

Bahn-Jeaux
8th Apr 2006, 08:23
Hi all.
First of all great thread and one which provides motivation and encouragement to us aspiring plank steerers.
I dont have much more to add at this point as I have only just started my training in earnest.
Had my first lesson with my instructor on wed 29th March and have been doing the basics up to now, effects of controls etc and have a total of 7hrs and 20 mins up to now, excluding a 1 hr hands on trial at the end of last year.
I am due to start on Circuits today so once things start to get interesting or I make some cringeworthy errors, I will let you all share my joy or misery, whatever happens.
Happy flying.

Happyeater
8th Apr 2006, 08:53
Welcome to the biggest (and best) thread in flying, BJ. :ooh:

Keep us informed and good luck with the circuits.

mazzy1026
8th Apr 2006, 17:06
Cheq - thanks for that writeup mate, I thought mine were big! I had butterflies just reading that QXC report - a job well done!

Bahn - welcome aboard mate, always nice to see new diary-ites ! :p Best of luck in your training, you will enjoy every minute of it (apart from your first navex hehe) :E

Well, I have officially logged my first hour (and 5 mins) on Wednesday - took the afternoon off work to take a colleague up and we had a great time. Went north then towards Wigan and Winter Hill etc - done a few spiral dives, some climbs/descents and some general handling, not only as good practice for me, but to see the amazement on my friends face! It truly was worth all the training and money to do something so good. I was having butterflies about the crosswind on the way back in, but I managed a decent landing and was very happy with the way things went - the big bonus was that the flight was £10 cheaper than normal as I don't pay student rates any more! Happy days!

Cheers all,

LysanderV8
8th Apr 2006, 17:15
May I just add my appreciation for all the posts on this thread, and particular congrats to Chequered Flag. It is heartening to read the superbly written experiences of someone who is not a youngster. I am 57 and have my skills test at Shoreham on Monday, weather permitting. This thread has helped to maintain my confidence that I CAN qualify after 4 years of sporadic training. Thank you again.

Lysander

mazzy1026
8th Apr 2006, 17:42
have my skills test at Shoreham on Monday

Best of luck to you sir and welcome aboard, glad you have found it useful - you do realise that you will have to provide us with a full writeup now when you have passed :ok:

LysanderV8
8th Apr 2006, 18:36
Thanks Mazzy. I'll see what I can do about the write up. If I pass, one of my targets is to fly to Speke (sorry John Lennon) Airport. I'm a Scouser and in 1967-8 worked in air traffic at Speke. My brother is about a mile from the 27 touchdown in Hale Village, so I'd like to visit by air, if I can afford the handling fees !!! http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/infopop/icons/icon13.gif

Cheers
Lysander

Chequeredflag
9th Apr 2006, 19:05
Yeah, best of luck for Monday, Lysander. I'm glad to see this thread has revived again, I was about to read it the Last Rites!! Let's try and keep it going. I'm still waiting for my licence to arrive - everything went off 10 days ago, so I hope to have it in my hands by Easter!!
Cheers all,
CF

9th Apr 2006, 21:31
....but I had my first proper lesson today at Barton!!:ok: :ok: :ok:

Went well, pretty bumpy, but did plenty of straight and level, pre + post flight checks and seemed to go ok. Surprisingly - for me - I seemed to remember lots of exercise 3 and 4 as well from the trial flight and was very pleased when the instructor told me that I should have no problem in progressing quite quickly. Maybe they say that to everyone!;)

Anyway, looking forward to next weekend when I am back in for more. Just reading Mazzy's first couple of hours seems to map over nicely to what I have done so far - so far so good!

One question - what books did people use for your ground school exams? I bought Pratt today, only to be told by my instructor that she now hates them and much prefers Trevor Thom. I'll be swapping Pratt for TT next week when they get it in. I have got TT book 2 as well - Air Law and Meterology. It does seem to be set out far clearer than the Pratt book.

Cheers!

Mark :ok:

Lister Noble
10th Apr 2006, 07:51
Mark,well done .
I used the Thom books and thought they were excellent,there is also a brilliant on-line Q&A type website www.airquiz.com ,I think it's £3 per subject and it was a great help for me.
Good luck with your course and keep posting.

10th Apr 2006, 17:44
Lister Noble,

Thanks for the thumbs up and the link, I'll certainly have a sift through those exercises when things begin hotting up. Having read the first chapter of TT2on the train back from London today (it was either that or do some work that I'm actually paid for :bored:) the book already seems clearer than Pratt (for me anyway). I'm going to re-read the chapter tonight and have a crack at the associated exercises to see how well my brain still retains information - it's been a good 5 years since leaving university and things have been somewhat 'dormant'. :confused:

oooh isn't this all brilliant!!!:ok:

Cheers
Mark

RudeNot2
10th Apr 2006, 18:17
I managed to pick up both the Pratt & Thom books on (fle)Ebay I am using them both along with referenced AIC's etc for my studies.

Hope to be taking Airlaw soon and have been practicing with the Airquiz exams as well. £20 for all subjects for 2 years a definate help.

Dave

Lister Noble
11th Apr 2006, 07:58
"it's been a good 5 years since leaving university and things have been somewhat 'dormant' "

You are a mere stripling sir,I left ag college 40 yrs ago and started learning all the Thom stuff last year.
I found it easier actually wanting to embrace all the subjects,even Airlaw, as they are all very important,OK you may forget some of it, but the really relevant stuff will/should remain in the old grey matter.
One of the younger students at our club was quite negative about the relevance of some of the subjects etc ,and failed a couple of times.
A few train journeys to London and you'll have it cracked!

LysanderV8
11th Apr 2006, 09:36
GST, Monday 10 April

I was a bit worried waking up to a lot of snow in Sussex, but by the time I reported to Shoreham at 1030 it was rapidly disappearing.

I picked up the weather and stuff at home from Avbrief before driving to the club wondering where we would be going on this fine sunny day. The examiner wasn't going to be ready until 1100, so I went and took the cover off the Warrior. I had been advised by one of the club instructors that the previous afternoon someone had thrown up all over the pilot's back during a trial flight, and it might be an idea to open the window, even though they had cleaned it up! Fortunately there was no residual pong !,

JC (the examiner's very apt initials) then briefed me about the nav part of the test, leaving me to plan from Shoreham to a turning point at Clipgate (a tiny strip I had never heard of just north of Dover) and then to North Weald. He advised that we would be diverting on the second leg, so don't plan a full round trip.

The wind on the ground was 020/14, straight down the runway. At 2000ft it was forecast 040/20 and there was little cloud to worry about.

Planned the route, frequencies, fuel etc and Sir came and checked it. All OK. Then he explained the general handling part of the test and told me to go an start up the aircraft and he would come out and join me.

I felt daft briefing JC, but it had to be done. I told him that I would use him as a resource, so to look out for other aircraft and so on. I asked him if he wanted me to call out all my checks aloud, but he said no. That pleased me, as I have not been in the habit of doing that, although I know a lot of examiners do insist on this.

Chocks off at 1235, but a delay to get airborne due to a runway inspection after another aircraft burst a tyre on landing. Off at 1248 and heading direct to Clipgate 59 miles away. Fortunately, I have done a fair amount of my training to the East of Shoreham, so I knew area well for the first 50 miles to Ashford. Managed to keep on track and gained 2 minutes, so the wind was obviously not as strong as forecast. Then the problem of finding Clipgate. I knew that if I hit the M2 I had gone too far. I knew I should be in relation to the tall mast at Dover. Could I see Clipgate? Could I heck! I had to do 3 orbits to spot it, and then JC pointed out that there was a race track marked on the map very close to the strip. I had seen the track from the air, but I had not taken note of it on the chart. Doh ! Feeling a bit stupid, off we go towards North Weald.

My planned magnetic heading was not giving me the track I wanted, and this confirmed the lesser winds. I modified my heading and advised the examiner. He agreed with my assessment. We got up towards Sheerness, and he asked me to confirm my position using any two VORs of my choice. I used Detling and Seaford, which I already had set up on the Navbox.

Then he asked me to divert to Old Hay. This is another grass strip just south of Paddock Wood. I have flown over this a few times and knew exactly where it was. Plotted the route and calculated the heading, distance and time to reach it. All worked out fine.

JC then said it was time for a "tea break", so he took control and I had a stretch. Nav bit was over, and now it was general handling. I had control and up we went to 3,500ft. Steep turns was first on the agenda. I do not know why, but I can do a steep turn to the right as if I am on rails, but to the left is a total pig's ear. We started to the left and JC was not happy. I overbanked and lost height. Did one to the right perfectly and then straight in to another to the left. Same thing. This ain't going well, I was thinking. We levelled off and talked about it. I did another one, but spent too much time concentating on the AI instead of looking at the horizon. Angle of bank was OK, but I lost height because I did not pull back hard enough. Levelled off again and climbed back up to 3,000ft. Did all the stalls OK and then we went up to 4,000ft to do a steep gliding descending turn. This was just about OK. Then we go up yet again to do recovery from a spiral dive. I tried to level the wings before chopping the power, so I had to do that twice.

I am getting very tired at this point and worried that my efforts in this part of the test will not be good enough.

Some cloud has developed, and instead of using the foggles, he tells me to climb up into the base of the cloud. With some trepidation, I do so and reach it at just over 5,000ft. After a few seconds he then tells me to do a 180 on instruments, and that's OK. The outside temp was then minus 5 and we had picked up some rime ice on the wings, so we dropped down to 2,000ft fairly rapidly. I mentioned to him that I thought the test was supposed to be done in VMC throughout, but he said that what we did was OK. Fair enough I suppose...

He asks me to head back towards Shoreham and after a few minutes he chops the power for the PFL. I trim for best glide and call out the actions for checking fuel, ignition and carb icing. I select a field at 11 o'clock and start to set up. JC then asks what's wrong with a field he points out at 2 o'clock. I say "nothing, but my selection is better because it is on my side of the aircraft and I am not planning to do a circuit" He shrugs his shoulders and points out power lines running across my track about 1 mile from planned touchdown. I tell him I will be well above them on my approach. We get down to 150ft and he tells me to climb away, confirming that he believes I would have landed safely. Phew !

Back on track to Shoreham for a standard overhead join at 2,000ft and a glide approach to touch and go. This works out OK, flaps up, power on and climb away. 200ft and he chops the power again for an EFATO. Select field at 9 o'clock and call out the actions. Climb away back into the circuit and, as I am turning base, I am asked to do a flapless landing. I set myself up and JC comments that I am too high and too fast. I tell him that it will be fine! By this time I was really looking forward to getting back on the ground and I was in the left hand seat, so I decided that I would be in command and achieve a reasonable landing. He said I should have extended my base leg to lose height, but I ignored him I'm afraid and I did the best landing I have done for a long time. I know that's a bit arrogant, but on this aspect, I felt totally confident.

We taxi to the fuel pumps and then JC walks off to the club without telling me the score. Hmm! Not a good sign I'm thinking as the aircraft is fuelled. I park the Warrior and walk slowy into the terminal. My instructor is hanging out of the window gesticulating - thumbs up or thumbs down? I shrug to indicate I don't know.

Back inside I complete the aicraft log and JC tells me to go into one of the briefing rooms. He proceeds to go through the nav and berates me for not spotting the race track on the chart and using it to find Clipgate. He still passes me on nav, though.

We spend 10 minutes discussing the steep turns in particular, and he suggest I should try having my seat a notch further back. He also wants me to go up with my instructor and practise steep turns some more. Ah, a partial pass I am thinking.

Then he gives me the best news of the decade. I've passed! He is perfectly happy that I am a safe pilot, which is his and my primary concern.

So now I need to build up the hours and my confidence and start going places.

Once again, thank you to all, whose various comments, anecdotes and encouragement to others has helped my confidence no end.

Cheers and happy flying one and all

Lysander

Lister Noble
11th Apr 2006, 10:34
Lysander ,an excellent write up,you had me in suspense, and really well one you!

HappyTrails
11th Apr 2006, 10:44
Congratulations LysanderV8, an excellent account.:D

Chequeredflag
11th Apr 2006, 15:35
Brilliant write up Lysander, and VERY well done. Another for the class of 2006.

NT42
11th Apr 2006, 16:14
Very many congratulations Lysander. Fantastic write up and you must be chuffed! Happy flying! :ok:

Well done.

(QXC canned for the 5th time today due to weather. I hope I'm not going to break CFs record! :ugh:)

MyData
11th Apr 2006, 16:24
Lysander

Excellent post! and congratulations. Is anyone keeping score on the number of PPLs being issued? I'm losing count :)

Some cloud has developed, and instead of using the foggles, he tells me to climb up into the base of the cloud. With some trepidation, I do so and reach it at just over 5,000ft. After a few seconds he then tells me to do a 180 on instruments, and that's OK.

I'm now doing my IMC - which is a great follow up. And I understand your trepidation - going into real cloud is a quite shocking and takes some getting use to!

Happyeater
11th Apr 2006, 16:27
Well done, Lysander. A good write up and a great result. Enjoy your PPL and safe flying. :ok:

LysanderV8
11th Apr 2006, 18:18
Thanks all for your kind words. Just got back from Shoreham and doing the RT Practical (passed). All the paperwork now done and in the envelope, which I shall deliver personally to the CAA at LGW tomorrow.

Roll on the famous poo coloured folder !

Now for a nice glass of Shiraz

Cheers. Hic

Lysander

Cricket23
11th Apr 2006, 21:50
Hello all,

First of all,well done to LysanderV8 and Chequeredflag.

I've been a bit silent of late on this forum as I've been practising for my own GFT which was yesterday and which I'm glad to say I passed. Yippee! thank goodness for that, what a relief etc!! I've never felt so nervous since I did my driving test-I felt like throwing up before we took off!

Anyway, to the flight itself.

The first of 2 surprises was that after the rain and snow at Redhill was that it actually went ahead. The second surprise was that we were using runway 36 for circuits, and whilst I have landed on it, I've never done circuits! Oh well, Murphy's law I suppose.

For those of you who know Redhill, you may remember that the downwind leg points straight at Gatwick and therefore the turn onto base has very little margin for error. Anyway, the 3 circuits (normal, flapless and glide) went ok, but I forgot to brief my 'passenger' regarding what to do in the event of an EFATO, and rather worryingly we were nearly t-boned by a Cessna from another club who wasn't looking where he was going!

So with that over, we were off to Southend. No dramas, got my calls in and with a nice clear day, it was easy flying and actually quite pretty with the snow on the ground. Gave Southend a call overhead,and then off towards Lydd, carefully avoiding the danger area which was active by Sheerness.

After about another 10mins I'm asked to don the foggles and the examiner proceeds to wander around the sky, passes back control to me and asks me to do a few turns. This is ok, but he then asks me to do a position fix with the foggles still on! Dialled Detling ok, but then proceeded to have a 'brain fart' (as he called it), by marking 210 off, rather than 310. Ops, I knew something was up, and after a little helpful prod, I worked it out. Dialled Mayfield ok,and once I'm happy, he lets me take the foggles off and asks me to confirm our position map to ground - thankfully they matched!

So, with our new position identified I'm asked to divert to Rochester, which I plan ok, and head off, calling off the waypoints. Everything starts off ok, but could I find the damn place, could I heck. Anyway, after a comment - about there being 'a nice river down there', it all clicks into place.

That's the nav completed, and like others I've read, I'm starting to wonder if I've cocked things up.

Anyway, put it behind I figure and it's into the steep turns (ok), spiral dives (ok), slow flight at 55kts was a bit ropey, and for good measure he asks me to do some slow turns, and my HASELL checks at the same time. Stalls, Clean (ok), 1st stage of flap - what a prat, I try to pick up the wing drop with the aileron, and rightly get a b@ll@cking, and am asked to do another 2. These and the full flap went ok, and whilst we were climbing away, it's throttle back and into the PFL.

Nose down, but no decent fields visible, so a smart 180, and there she blows! But it's a bit tight, as it was only a stones throw from Tonbridge. However, I manage to squeeze it down without too much trouble, although my workload meant that I didn't brief the 'passenger', and I didn't do the shutdown checks. But at least we'd have got in.

Heading back to the airfield now, and after a bit more VOR tracking we rejoin the circuit and land. Flight time 2hrs and 5 mins

Yep I passed, but was given another talking to on the stall, and the briefing passengers re the PFL.

Regards to all, thanks for the helpful advice, and happy and safe flying.

C23

Chequeredflag
11th Apr 2006, 22:23
Yet another success, well done Cricket, and a great write up to boot!! Fantastic. Now please pray for some decent weather for a mate who is rapidly running out of time to complete his GST, or face having to do ALL his exams again, 'cos they were taken some time ago. The weather has really stuffed him. We need a couple of nice days in the next week. On your knees everyone, he needs some "positivity" from all of us (as Noel Edmonds would say on 'Deal or no Deal'!)
Cheers
CF

Cricket23
11th Apr 2006, 22:31
Cheers CF, and thanks for your comments. I thought your write up was good, and by the sound of it I'd say that you had a tougher test than me. How long were you in cloud for?

Good luck to your mate. I hear that the weather might get better by around Easter Sunday.

C23

LysanderV8
12th Apr 2006, 06:27
Well done Cricket. The ranks of PPLs are growing rapidly !

I have now been advised that my examiner, assuming that he does not fail the candidate, always awards a PWB ! Pass With Boll***ing. Sounds like you had a similar experience.

I have everything crossed for the weather for your mate, CF. I know the feeling, sort of, as I had to resit Air Law 10 days ago because I took it more than 18 months ago when I did my first solo. A humbling experience. It's surprising how much stuff you forget, and I still think some of the questions, particularly in Air Law, are irrelevent to practical safe flying. Ask me anything that I need to recall in the air, but don't ask me about the paper colours of AICs. I can sort that out on the ground. Sorry - end of rant.

Weather this morning in Sussex is beautiful. Crisp and clear, but no flying for me until Friday, when I am up with my instructor getting more practice on the steep turns I did so poorly in the test.

Have a great Easter one and all

Lysander

Hampshire Hog
12th Apr 2006, 11:16
Well done to the recent PPLs!

I was away in Cornwall last week, lovely weather, but wife wouldn't let me go off to Lands End for a fix of flying!

Now I'm back home, I'm supposed to be doing my second solo cross-country tomorrow, but the weather looks quite questionable. Such is life. Hoping to join the ranks of new PPLs sometime in the next couple of months though!

HH

LysanderV8
12th Apr 2006, 12:39
I'm now doing my IMC - which is a great follow up. And I understand your trepidation - going into real cloud is a quite shocking and takes some getting use to!

How soon after you got your PPL did you start IMC training? Should I build up my hours a bit first? What do y'all think?

Lysander

Lister Noble
12th Apr 2006, 14:30
Just back from my QXC,Old Buckenham-land Southend-land Cambridge via Sudbury,Cambridge-land Old Buck via Lakenheath with lots of F16's and heavy's about.
Excellent feedback from MATX controller at Lakenheath,all the militaryt stuff popped up exactly where he said it would
Good visibilty but some light rain showers initially with lowish cloud,the CFI had told me to return if the conditions were not good and I thought,B***er it,I've waited all this time and I'm 10 mins into the QXC and considering returning,anyway it improved and I continued,thank goodness.
I had moderate to strong cross winds for each landing but just within limits and it all went well ,I got a satisfactory and a good at both land-aways so am very pleased.
I was told at one place that the satisfactory was because of my poor R/T,not reading back everything I should have done on approach.
I asked for a QDM bearing on approach to both fields as the exact location was not perfectly clear,they told me that they considered that good airmanship,they'd rather that than have someone flying around in the area trying to locate the field.
A bonus was as I climbed away from Old Buck at the start,an airliner passing high overhead wished me luck,the pilot is a mate next door and was just passing through en route to Europe ,quite a co-incidence and made me feel good through the whole trip.
I called to thank him when I got back home and he was in Copenhagen!
CFI is now looking to get my skills test done asap.
Lister:) :)
Edited to add a bit more content,but not in the class of some forumists!

MyData
12th Apr 2006, 16:53
How soon after you got your PPL did you start IMC training? Should I build up my hours a bit first? What do y'all think?

Errr. Two consecutive entries in my log book read:

Skills Test (passed!!)
IMC General Handling

So from a flying perspective I started the minute I got my ticket. In reality I passed the test in mid November, sent off for the licence, received that on Christmas Eve (nice present) then waited and waited and waited for the weather to clear to go for my first flight. It became my longest break from flying by mid January and I was a bit apprehensive about taking friends up. So I had a word with the CFI - could we go for a short refresher. Instead he suggested we make the most of the overcast weather and so my IMC training began... Since then I've been flying VFR quite regularly and looking to do IMC once a month or so, 3 hours in the bag so far.

Although the IMC course is 15 hours, I need to gain at least 25 hours from my PPL issue before I can claim the rating. At least 10 of the 25 have to be PIC and I think 5 have to be on XC flights. But I'm in no rush at this time. It is something to do to improve my skills and to learn a new discipline.

LysanderV8
12th Apr 2006, 17:36
Thanks MyData. My CFI suggested I start IMC training as soon as I can as well. I suspect this may be sensible as I aim to do a regular run to Haverforwest from Shoreham to visit my granddaughter, so with the Welsh hills en route, an IMC rating could be really useful.

Cheers
Lysander

FlyFreeWbe
13th Apr 2006, 12:37
Congrats Lister! :ok:
Very good news indeed. Sorry I couldn't have helped out before. When you've got the prized poo coloured wallet (it's darker than it was a few years ago.. more like it came from an elephant instead of a cow) we should go on a flight together.

Not to forget all the other achievements as of late ;) Congrats to all and safe flying.

Your resident secret reader
ffw

Lister Noble
13th Apr 2006, 16:56
FlyFW,thanks and we must meet up when I have the licence.
It appears that I may be doing something along these lines this weekend,depends on the weather.
Fingers crossed!
Lister:) :)

Bahn-Jeaux
13th Apr 2006, 19:48
Not much to report progress wise for me as yet.
Twice now I have tried to start circuits and twice had to abort after one touch and go.
Damned weather does'nt want to play ball.
Head on wind virtually so theoretically shouldnt have been too bad but instructor pulled the plug after once around and getting a right buffeting.
Better luck tomorrow hopefully.

MyData
13th Apr 2006, 19:57
Bahn - based on your location, are you learning at Sandtoft? That is where my circuits were brought to life and I never really got to grips with the narrow strip. Doing it on a buffeting day, with the fences, hedges and street lamps to contend with wouldn't make me happy. YMMV

However the weather recently has been strong westerly so perhaps you are out of Humberside or Sheffield?

Sheffield on Saturday was fun with 25kts down the runway. I decided to practice a short field take off, it was the nearest to being a Harrier pilot that I'll ever get :O

Bahn-Jeaux
13th Apr 2006, 20:23
MyData,
Humberside is my home field.
Used the short runway, 27 as the crosswind on 21 would have been too much.
A Cessna took off just before me and it looked like he was stationary in the air at times.
Wind was 18 knots when I started to taxy and 25 knots when the plug was pulled.
Flew a PA28 Warrior as it had slightly bigger wings than my normal steed, a Cherokee, hoping that the larger wing area would make it less twitchy in the winds.
Experienced a lot of sink on approach together with a good buffeting and my insructor even managed to balloon on landing thanks to the wind.
Another PA28 behind us commented on the lumpy ride down and he had aborted his planned flight to return to base.

markflyer6580
13th Apr 2006, 20:34
Its fun on days like that! I hit my head on the roof hard enough to put me right off when on short final for 27,about 35kt gusts at the time.I reckon my gs over the fence was about 25kt pretty much stopped dead on landing complete with bruise! That wasn't too long ago,got its own climate that part of the world.:ok:

mazzy1026
14th Apr 2006, 08:37
Not that anyone will be THAT interested.....
Behave yourself! That's exactly what we like on this thread!

Mark, the first lessons are always very exciting, and your hunger to fly will grow. My only advice is to enjoy your flying, and work hard at the theory. You will come across times of doubt (like my first northern nav-ex) when you think "Is this really for me"? But believe me now, it DOES start to fit together nicely and you don't have to do 3 hours a day for a year for it to do so. Just be disciplined with yourself and do things as you have been taught - remember your checklists and you will do just fine! Before you know it we will be reading your GST report soon!

With regards to the study material. I have to be honest in saying that I do like the Pratt (AFE) books, however I have not used the Thom ones. The Pratt books are very easy to read and have been written well for the reader who may know nothing on the subject. I don't know a lot about the Thom one's but they do appear a bit more like a manual...... just MHO.

I have to say that I did enjoy the reading (and still do). Aviation is a subject which I love, so it wasn't like trying to learn French at school which I couldn't stand. If you are interested, then you will learn it well and enjoy it.

Lysander - you are welcome to join me any time for a flight into/out of Liverpool!

Best of luck and keep us informed as to how you get on,

------------------------------------------------------------

I actually emailed the above post to myself in work last week in order to make a post at home, as I can't access prune at work. I have only just managed to get on the PC having been at hospital etc but I am really made up to see so much progress. Lysander, Cricket and Lister - very well done to you all and thanks for the fantastic write-ups, I am truly amazed to see this thread still going!

I hope I have not missed anyone out, if I have then I apologise....

Anyway, I got a new job the other week and I am currently working my notice, I am due to start early May and will just have to see how things pad out - the bonus is more pennies for flying but the negative is that I may be forced by the other half to invest it in the mortgage! :{

Thanks again everyone, and happy/safe flying - the class of 2006 is becoming a big one! :=

Andy_RR
14th Apr 2006, 10:32
Well, I enjoy reading this thread, especially since I'm stuck in India at the moment, with an Australian SPL/GFPT and a half-baked JAR-PPL. Hopefully, when I get a week back in the UK in May, I'll get my QXC done, weather permitting. Fingers crossed!

Well done to all you recent PPL-grads, and good luck to those about to GFT.

A tip on stalling demo that an instructor in Australia mentioned to me - don't hold the yoke with a grip as you're pulling back to stall, but pull the yoke back with your left hand placed behind it, but stretched out flat. This helps avoid the temptation to use any aileron input. It worked for me on my GFPT test flight - hopefully it'll work again on my GFT! :)

Best of luck,

A

NT42
14th Apr 2006, 14:14
Hey all,

VERY MANY CONGRATULATIONS to all GFT and QXCers! As already said, there's tonnes of progress, and it's great to read about it!

My computer is being a complete :mad: so I'm missing the posts.

I'm still waiting on the QXC, yet another cancelled yesterday - didn't fancy the 50 knot gusts!

Anyway, happy flying all. (Hope you get flying again soon Lee!)

LysanderV8
14th Apr 2006, 14:30
Hi all

Just got back from doing steep turns to try and improve on the left handers that did not go well in the GST earlier in the week. Only managed 45 mins because of low cloud on the South Coast and some sea fog rolling in. So much for weather forecasting ! Slight improvement I think, but not great. Right handers still far better.

Lee, I will certainly contact you when I get the confidence to get as far as Liverpool. Mortgage - Flying - Mortgage - Flying. No brainer ! I'm sure your other half can get as much pleasure out of it as you do. It's all so well worth the struggle.

My penance is now to do gardening for the rest of the weekend. Hey ho.

Lysander

14th Apr 2006, 17:35
Mazzy - cheers for the words of encouragement mate, and I will be sure to keep posting progress.

Had to cancel tomorrow's lesson sadly, so due back up next Saturday. Trying to nail the Air Law book in the meantime. I'm buggered if I can remember all those bits of ICAO terminology!

Cheers
Mark

Lister Noble
14th Apr 2006, 17:37
I've had a great 50 mins in the air today , practising VOR and instrument flying in cloud at 5000 ft,ending with correcting steep spiral dives.
If weather OK tomorrow I'm off on my own to find my weak points for us to work on for the skills test,so could be up there for some time
Lister;) ;)

Captainkarl
14th Apr 2006, 22:09
Hello All...been a while since Ive posted on here

Congrats to all of those who have joined the class of 2006, today I took another leap to joining you.

A year and a week ago today I did my 1st solo...and today I did my 1st solo cross country from Sibson to Leicester and what gorgous weather for it!!:cool: I did very well didnt get lost and my r/t was pretty good! Was anyone else flying in these areas...Sibson-->Sywell-->Leicester?:confused:

I look forward to being able to fly in and meet some of you guys in the future!

Keep safe in the skies

Captain Karl

Lister Noble
16th Apr 2006, 16:57
Great day,good vis most of the morning and later this afternooon.
Spent 55 mins solo this morning doing clean and flapped stalls,30 and 45 deg banked 360 deg turns at 4000 ft,some standard touch and go's,and glide touch and go's.
Bit of a crosswind but all went well apart from first glide touch and go was a bit tight,so next one thought I'll leave it a bit later before descent and was too high,another couple were OK so I left it there.
Was going to do some more this afternoon but was told by CFI not to waste money,anyway weather looks good so I'm going to do some more stuff tomorrow just to make sure I'm happy and then it's the skills test next weekend.
Out of interest I counted my total hours today and it's 51 hrs including 2 half hour trial lessons,I think it took me around 18 hrs to go solo,so it just goes to prove that how long it takes to solo does not reflect at all on the length of the course.

mazzy1026
17th Apr 2006, 09:41
Andy RR - welcome aboard mate (sorry if I have already said that, I am amazed at the amount of posts recently and have well and truly lost track of all new comers!)

Lysander - when doing steep turns, remember the off-set seating problem. If your in the left hand seat and you do a steep turn to the right, you will be above your instructor and will see a lot of ground over the nose. When you turn to the left however, your instructor is well above you and you will see hardly any horizon over the nose, and mostly sky. This was difficult at first to understand, but after a while it sunk in and helped me a lot :=

I'm buggered if I can remember all those bits of ICAO terminology!

There's a lot of stuff to remember for Air Law, some of which is useless to know in the air, and as said before - I agree with the statement that if I need to know what colour the AIC papers are, I will just look it up on the ground! Best advice is to learn it as much as possible for the exam, and then the bits that matter more in the air (such as airspace restrictions and MATZ distances etc) will all start to fit into place as you experience them in your flying.

Cheers all,

P.S Loads more photo's on my photobucket account:

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/mazzy1026/

The flight with Robbie was my first passenger (he is crap with a camera as you will see!). One of my favorite pictures is the close up of runway 27 on short final - superb.

LysanderV8
17th Apr 2006, 11:37
Mazzy, thanks for that tip. I'm off to Shoreham this afternoon, so I'll try to get me head round it

Cheers

Lysander

Lister Noble
23rd Apr 2006, 09:06
Sadly,since Mazzy passed his skills test we don't have too much on here, so thought I would bring it to the top again.
All ready for my skills test booked for this morning and the weather is rubbish,so will book a slot for next weekend.
Very frustrating but I'm nearly there!

kookabat
23rd Apr 2006, 12:59
Mr Noble - I don't think anyone in the history of aviation, ever, has not needed to cancel a flight test due wx first go!!!:)

Lister Noble
23rd Apr 2006, 16:38
Mr Kookabat,
A very adroit observation;) ;)
I waited three months for my QXC so am used to it,also sailed all my life so know the effect of the vagaries of weather on our hobbies,but it can still be frustrating!:)
Lister

mazzy1026
23rd Apr 2006, 21:40
I flew my skills test on the very first booking, and I didn't even have enough solo hours on the day :E

Makes up for all the cancellations in the past !

;)

Lister Noble
24th Apr 2006, 07:53
Lee,
I have four skills test slots booked from Friday to Monday next weekend so reckon one of those should be OK!
I'm not that wound up about it as there have been so many cancellations throughout my course due to weather,and after all this is what we have to cope with once we have our tickets.

kookabat
24th Apr 2006, 14:24
Once booked five days solid to go flying and finish off some annoying navs that I kept having to cancel due wx..... in those five days I got just *one* hour in the circuit :{

Great fun that!

(oh, and good luck when eventually you do the test mate!:ok: )

i.dingbat
25th Apr 2006, 06:19
Aargh, I discovered this thread last night and read till 3am and still haven't read it all. :zzz:

I'm with you all in spirit, though a long way away (Australia). I did a pre-solo check flight on Saturday in a Citabria with a hugely-experienced tailwheel pilot, and I'm hoping that this coming Saturday I might manage a first solo.

So I was looking for stories of others' experiences when I found Mazza's diary. Wow. Just what I was looking for.

I also found references to Stick and Rudder so I've just ordered a copy through Amazon. It's still relevant to me as 21 of my 22 hours so far have been on tailwheelers (I took a single C172 trip for perspective).

I see there are a couple of other's from Australia here, so hi from Sydney.

kookabat
26th Apr 2006, 05:24
i.Dingbat: Curtis at Camden?

Planning on heading that way shortly once I aquire the necessary $$$ for a tailie conversion... gotta love (almost) brand new Citabrias!

i.dingbat
26th Apr 2006, 12:32
Kookabat

Yes, Curtis Aviation at Camden. They have three Citabrias, all in beautiful condition. I've enjoyed every minute of the training, but I did find it very hard at first keeping the aircraft straight on the runway, especially on take-off.

Anyone else out there doing their ab initio on a tailwheeler?

Iain

P.S. I've also kept a record of every lesson, but I hesitate to inflict it on the general public...:O

FlyFreeWbe
27th Apr 2006, 21:01
My thoughts are with Lister tomorrow .. or saturday .. sunday .. or monday.
Hopefully the weather tomorrow is great :) I should go up for a while at lunch also

Lister Noble
28th Apr 2006, 12:38
Thanks FlyFreeWbe,
I had my final revision flight this morning and am ready for the skills test tomorrow.
Weather looks good,so a light repast and early to bed for me tonight!
Lister;)

kevmusic
28th Apr 2006, 14:48
AND, if I were you, I'd be drinking plenty of pure water (no tea or coffee) & breakfasting on porridge/Weetabix, toast & bananas!

But whatever satisfies the inner man. :) Good luck, Lister! :ok:

Kev.

Lister Noble
28th Apr 2006, 16:16
Normal Saturday/Sunday breakfast is coffee,half a grapefruit and either a kipper or egg and bacon on toast,weekdays it's just All-Bran and orange juice,so think I will stay with the standard weekend one!
I report at 10.00 for test briefing, plannning etc and the flight is planned for high noon!
There is a big barbecue at Old Buck tomorrow lunchtime, so I may try a celebratory Mustang burger and beer after landing if all is successful.
And no, the Mustang burger is not horse meat!;)

LysanderV8
28th Apr 2006, 20:18
Good Luck Lister :ok:

Lysander

NT42
28th Apr 2006, 20:35
Yes, good luck indeed Lister, I've got my fingers crossed for you!

This next bit is lifted directly from "the other place". Sorry, I'm just too tired to type a different post!

"Just returned from a fantastic few hours of flying.

I'm very tired now, so will post a little report tomorrow.

However, I've done my QXC and I'm well chuffed! Because I hadn't flown in a month or so, I needed a checkout. Was decided to do a fairly full one, including steep turns, PFLs, stall, spiral dive and a couple of landings. That was 55 minutes, and my QXC was 2H35. So I am indeed very tired after an enjoyable 3H30 flying! Route was Newcastle - overhead Silloth - Carlisle - Teesside (now known as Durham, very confusing!) - Newcastle.

Well chuffed! Watch this space.

Cheers!"

:D

Happy flying everyone!

i.dingbat
29th Apr 2006, 01:03
First solo today! In a Citabria :D

Iain

kookabat
29th Apr 2006, 08:04
Congrats Iain - you didn't choose an easy way to learn. More fun that way I reckon, should have done the same thing (ab initio on tailwheel) myself.

Tailie conversion coming up eventually.... promise!:O

i.dingbat
29th Apr 2006, 14:32
Kookabat

Congrats Iain - you didn't choose an easy way to learn. More fun that way I reckon, should have done the same thing (ab initio on tailwheel) myself.

You've correctly pinged my motivation - to have fun. I expect it to become a means of transport at some future point, but I've been dreaming of flying for a long time and there's a romance about tailwheelers that's hard to beat. It's also meant to teach good rudder skills.

Of course if someone had taken me aside at the start and told me it would take about a bazillion circuits to learn to keep it straight I might have thought twice. :hmm:

If you want a laugh over some of my earlier efforts, follow the links back from my solo flight here: http://www.iainhosking.com/flying/training/lesson23.php

Iain

Lister Noble
29th Apr 2006, 18:17
Did my skills test today with mixed results.
The navigation Old Buck-Spalding-Little Gransden went well,turned onto Gransden leg and was diverted to Sheperds Grove near Honington via Lakenheath,everything was more or less spot on and I was very chuffed.
Examiner said it was well done afterwards.
Then the flying bit,most of my stuff was OK but I was let down by steep turns losing 300 ft in the first one,I regained it before completing the 360 but that was too late,Stalls I thought were OK but was told I left putting full power on a bit late,then some probs with a couple of landing configurations,lots of crosswind but I normally cope quite well with all of these exercises.
I didn't sleep too well last night,I suppose I was thinking about it too much and the whole test took 2hrs 35 mins so I was absolutley knackered by half way through.
Any way the upshot is I need an hours re-training to sit the three failed exercises again,probably do this on Monday and sit the 1 hr partial test in next week or so.
I am obviously very dissapointed, but as several pilots have said ,I am 90% there and to be glad of that.
Lister (Shattered)

Happyeater
29th Apr 2006, 18:35
You're probably 90% of the way there, Lister. The hard works mainly done, just go and finish it off next week. Well done on the partial.

Cricket23
29th Apr 2006, 19:18
Chin-up Lister, at least you haven't got to do the whole test again. Sounds like you were wound up like a spring. Try to relax more and remember that the examiner wants you to pass.

C23.

FlyFreeWbe
29th Apr 2006, 21:43
People forget that not everyone passes their skills on the first go. I know many who had partials (or nothing at all!) and passed on the second. Maybe lots of different things made up one big thing that meant you didn't fly as you'd like today. After monday, no doubt you'll have it covered :ok:

ffw

kookabat
30th Apr 2006, 01:56
I suppose I was thinking about it too much

Quite possibly... I know I was $hitting myself leading up to my flight test last year.
It pretty much guarantees better performance the second time around I'd say. Having at least been in the whole skills test environment before you'll have no worries this time.

And a partial is better than a kick in the teeth!! :ok:

kookabat
30th Apr 2006, 02:08
It's also meant to teach good rudder skills.

Hehehe.... Cherokees don't have rudder pedals... they have footrests!! :O

Nice write-up there, by the way mate

i.dingbat
30th Apr 2006, 02:52
Thanks Kookabat, glad you liked the writeup.

If you get to Curtis for tailwheel stuff, mention my name - they'll know who you mean.

Cherokees seem very practical. A friend has one, and we're planning a trip up to the Hunter Valley when I'm allowed out.

Cheers

Iain

LysanderV8
30th Apr 2006, 07:22
Well done on the navigation Lister, at least that's out of the way. Steep turns are a bu**er sometimes (most of the time in my case), but I'm sure you will be fine next week.

Keep smiling :)

Lysander

Whirlybird
30th Apr 2006, 09:23
Lister, WELL DONE AND CONGRATULATIONS! You're nearly there, and you will be in a very short time. I know just how disappointing it is; nearly all my tests - PPL, CPL, FI rating - haven't been straightforward; they've been conditional on a bit of extra training, or told I just made it but didn't do well, or something like that. It's common. It's just that after all the build-up, you feel awful about it; the adrenaline wears off and you just feel exhausted and depressed. Been there! And most people don't post about it, so the rest of us don't know. And not all of us can fly for nearly three hours and still be able to keep going - it's a bloody endurance test, not a flying test!!!!

I'd wish you luck for next week, but you won't need it. :ok:

Lister Noble
30th Apr 2006, 11:53
Thank you all for the good wishes,this really is a worthwhile forum.
I feel a lot better today,spoke to CFI this morning and have a flight booked for 0930 tomorrow.
It is a truly beautiful day and I've been gardening most of this morning,just got my old Riley Special out of the garage and after lunch I'm going up to Felthorpe for the AGM and hopefully a flight in the Tiger Moth or Chipmunk.
It's not all that bad is it!:D

Re posting "bad news",I'm sure it must help new bods to know that not everyone passes everthing first time or in minimum hours etc etc.
At Old Buck yesterday there was a Stearman fly in and barbecue, I was talking to several pilots about my partial pass, several said they had or knew pilots who had re-tests,fails etc,so as Whirly says ,maybe the majority of those keep quiet.
I never was too good at that;) ;)
Lister

Whirlybird
30th Apr 2006, 13:46
Re posting "bad news",I'm sure it must help new bods to know that not everyone passes everthing first time or in minimum hours etc etc.

YES!!!!!!!!!

Lister Noble
30th Apr 2006, 18:54
Well ,today went up to Felthorpe and tried my hand at the Moth controls,I've done this several times before but not with a lot of input and not for many months, there was a experienced pilot on board with me.
Really responsive compared with the PA28-180 ,I tried steepish turns etc,and I reckon one could get into a spot of bother without realising it!
The Felthorpe group have a Chipmunk that is one of the Red Sparrows group and I will be going with as a non competing co-pilot to some very interesting airshows this year.
Must pass that last test ASAP.
All good stuff ,but how many r's in interesting?;)

1st May 2006, 11:13
Lister - keep going mate, and I agree about bad as well as good news being posted on this increasingly brilliant thread.

Well, it was finally hour three for me on Saturday, after a cancellation for weather the week before. I remembered some of the stuff, took ages over the pre flight checks, and then got up there.

There was a vague smell of vomit in the plane, and when I questioned this I was told that an earlier trial flight and one student had had some 'problems' due to the turbulence, that really was quite rough. Now, I have never ever had problems with travel sickness, sea sickness or anything, so confidently boasted to the instructor "oh, don't worry about me, I can handle this". How wrong I was.....

We did 30 degree turns, and the move itself wasn't too bad, didn't lose too much height and started to get a good feel for what was required on the controls. And then it hit me. The worst feeling of nausea I have felt in many a year!! The plane was being buffeted all over the place and I had turned green.

Sadly, the rest of the lesson involved me concentrating not on straight and level flight, but on ensuring that I didn't pebbledash the cockpit with the steak baggette I had for lunch. I can't find any reference to this exercise in the Trevor Thom books!! Anyone help?!;)

Anyway, its not put me off and I'm back up next week weather permitting. I'll be investing in some travel sick tablets and plastic bag, just in case!

Cheers
Mark

Whirlybird
1st May 2006, 11:49
What is your instructor doing taking up newish students in weather like that?!!!! It may not have put you off, but it could put some people off.

Next time, tell your instructor how you feel. We're not psychic, and feedback helps. Maybe you could have done something else, or abandoned the lesson and not wasted your money.

Be careful with travel sick tablets. While it's OK legally to take medication if flying dual, you'll find that a lot of fairly innocuous drugs will affect either your concentration or coordination when learning to fly. Stay off them! Herbal tablets are OK if they work for you, as is ginger (the crystallised stuff tastes best). But basically, don't fly in conditions that make you feel ill. It gets easier as you do more flying; trust me on this; I'm a weak-stomached aviator, and I know about it. But knowing you have a sick bag to hand helps, as it takes away some of the tension, so keep one in your pocket or your kneeboard. :ok:

1st May 2006, 14:00
Thanks Whirlybird re: the medication advice. Didn't think of that, and I really don't like popping pills for anything if at all possible.
To be honest, if the instructor had asked me before hand if I was ok to go up I would have said I'd be fine as I never have suffered before. I was warned it would be a bit bumpy, but thought nothing of it.
I agree about the sick bags, and will have a supply next time. My instructor was very sympathetic when up there, and I was fine once we got back down. And I didn't actually 'vom' thank god.
Probably just one of many of surprises and challenges I have ahead over the next many hours to come!! :ugh:
Cheers
Mark