PDA

View Full Version : From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Lister Noble
1st May 2006, 14:16
Mark,
I'm very fortunate on the sickness front,must be all those years of sailing,but I certainly would not whack a steak sandwich down me before flying,I usually have tuna mayo sandwich but I suppose they could be a bit slippery!
Well today I went up with the CFI for 50 mins and went through the things that went wrong on my test.
He said "if you had done that on the test you would have passed",it's a so and so isn't it?
Probably the result of a mixture of nerves and a poor nights sleep.
Might do the re-test next Friday or Saturday if things work out,including the weather.

We have a bit of a strange atmosphere at Old Buck at the moment as a 27 yr old parachutist client at the parachute school decided to throw away his helmet and cut through the 'chute harness on the way down.
A strange way to commit suicide and not very fair on all those who are now involved who should not have been,especially the pilot and school.
Anyway we are all sorry for his parents etc.
Lister

1d2d3d4d
5th May 2006, 15:43
Mazzy and friends Hi,

What a fantastic thread!!! It's taken me 3 weeks to read it, things like eating, sleeping and work got in the way oh! and a bit of flying. This must be one of the best contributions to GA since the Wright brothers. People have received knighthoods for less than this.:ok: May be the moderator could give it special status so it stays at the front of the forum. It really is that important.

I had my first real flying lesson on April 23rd 2005 and am now approaching 40 hours. I am due to do my second solo nav tomorrow weather permitting then its QXC dual, solo, revision & skills test. I should have found this thread moths ago!

Hope you don't mind but I posted a link to this thread on my club forum in the studes section.

Please don't stop Mazzy I can't wait for the next installments of what really happens when you have your poo coloured licence.

Best wishes and fly safe Chris

Lister Noble
6th May 2006, 11:05
Well,I turned up at 9o'c for the skills test on the section I failed last week,the weather was just about do-able although not brilliant but I decided to give it a look.
We went up to 4000 ' but there was no horizon and vision was quite hazy,even the clouds did not have a clear base.
So I decided that trying steep 360's without any horizon was giving myself a hard time and told the examiner that I was not happy to continue.
Once she was sure that I had made the decision and ended the test, she told me that I had made the right choice.
So I may go back later today if the wx improves,if not have next Friday and Saturday booked.
Lister

Happyeater
6th May 2006, 11:08
Made the right choice again, my friend. There's no rush at all, rather be a safe pilot than the alternative. Hope the weather clears and you get the pass you deserve.

Lister Noble
6th May 2006, 11:10
Happeater,thank you,I'm sure it will all work out in the end.
Lister:)

Bahn-Jeaux
6th May 2006, 13:21
Well did over 2 hours of circuits trying to perfect my landings.
Didnt get one of them right, arghhhh, so frustrating.
Approach was fine each time but can I hell as like get the flare right.
Too soon, too late, you name it I did it and when I did get that bit right, I didnt hold the nose up long enough, luckily Richard, my instructor got me out of bother each time.
Just to end the day nicely, after my final landing, I had to sit and wait on the runway for about £30's of minutes waiting for a Ryanair 737 to taxi to runway and backtrack from the same exit I was waiting for.
Dont know why he didnt use holding point Bravo like everyone else does.
Instructor was shaking his head but who are we to question ATC.
They must have had their reasons, expensive ones for me though.:confused:

Cricket23
6th May 2006, 15:48
Unlucky Lister, it must have been frustrating, but it sounds like you made the right choice. I was up earlier this afternoon in the Redhill area, and it was pretty naff. No point in adding to the pressure, better luck with the weather next time.

C23

Andy_RR
7th May 2006, 08:34
A big week of flying for me this week - I managed to get my QXC done (EGBT-EGSC-EGBG) on May day (don't say that over the radio!) and then my Skills Test on Friday - what a beautiful day for flying! :)

I'll try to write up my thoughts in a wee while, but unfortunately, I've got a plane to catch to India this afternoon.

Before then though, I'm trying to get all my papers in order and send it off to CAA. Can anyone confirm that the £159 fee for the licence application includes the FTROL application, or do I need to pay the additional £63 for the "separate R/T grant or renewal"?

Sometimes I think the paper war is more difficult than the flying!

A

MyData
7th May 2006, 09:57
Andy

Big congrats. I understand the R/T licence is included if you submit all the paperwork together. That is what I did, I passed the R/T theory in July and submitted the paperwork with my application November all for £159. A bargain. ;)

Andy_RR
7th May 2006, 14:52
MD, thanks and thanks! I've got it all ready to go off in the post now. Not that I'll get to use it in anger for a while. Back in the UK in August.

A

mazzy1026
11th May 2006, 12:09
Well what can I say? I have not even logged into pprune for about 4 weeks and I have missed all these wonderful posts. Welcome aboard to anyone that has joined us, all's I can say is that I am truly impressed that people are still posting here, especially as the author isn't !!

To update you all, I have started a new job, and now work in Deeside in Wales/Chester - so that has been another reason why I have been so busy. Been at the hospital every night with my Dad (who is on a ticking clock) and not had the chance to do anything remotely normal really!

Well, saying that, I have clocked up 2 hours and 5 mins as a PPL - the second flight was with my Uncle, who loved every minute of it. I was in deep concentration towards the end when ATC reported the wind as 180 13kts (on runway 09) so after we landed reasonably OK, the tension in my stomach disappeared!

I am sorry I have not been replying to individual posts like I usually do - I am sure you can understand. All's I will say is that I am made up with people's progress and newcomers and all the posts still being made in here - and Lister, keep up the good work mate - chin up :ok:

Best wishes to you all,

Lee :ok:

Lister Noble
11th May 2006, 16:06
Mazzy,thank for the good wishes,I'm doing the partial re-sit tomorrow morning and wx looks good,so fingers crossed!
I'm sorry to hear that your father's outlook is grim,but hope the new job goes well.

Blinkz
11th May 2006, 16:30
Hey guys, Glad to see the thread till active and with so many new people starting their PPLs, good luck to you all! Its a brilliant experience and everyone here is willing to give you support and help as best we can.

A quick update to what I've been doing, sorry I've not posted in so long. For the past 6 months I've been doing my ATPL ground school and that really did pretty much take up all my life, so much stuff to learn in so little time!!! Finished the exams in April with an average of 95% so was really chuffed with that. Am now in Phoenix, Arizona for my VFR training for my CPL, done 6hrs so far. Highlight of the trip so far has to have been having 3hrs flying in a Cirrus SR20. Its an amazing piece of kit compared to the warriors that I've been flying. Can cruise at around 150kts and has a full glass cockpit with moving map, autopilot, TCAS and lots of other nice toys. Great fun to fly and really impressive to see what 30 more years of desgin can do to an aircraft (yes warriors are really that old!!!)

Sorry that this isn't really suited to the PPL diary, I just thought I'd give you all a quick update, I have more time on my hands now so I'll try and post more. Good luck to you all!

kevmusic
11th May 2006, 19:13
Bags of confidence! You know you can do it - enjoy yourself! :ok:

Kev.

mazzy1026
12th May 2006, 07:56
Blinkz - I don't know whether to say "nice one" or "you b**tard" hehe! Very jealous indeed - all the time on the ground has finally paid off for you! Try and get some pictures if you can and stick em on photobucket!

Here is the link again to my pictures:

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/mazzy1026/

Cheers,

Vee One...Rotate
12th May 2006, 09:56
Hi guys,

Booked my Skills Test for mid-June :) :bored:

Solo time is fine but still need to squeeze in another 5-6 hours before then to get the 45.

50% excited, 50% daunted!

V1R

Lister Noble
12th May 2006, 11:59
Yep,I've done it this morning,passed my partial skills test.
I'm now going back to club with copy birth cert etc to get my PPL application in the post this afternoon.
Hope to write more later,if I'm not too pi**ed!
Lister.

MyData
12th May 2006, 12:14
Lister

That must be the most understated 'I've Passed' message ever!

Congrats!!!!!

Cricket23
12th May 2006, 13:50
Well done Lister, I can feel the relief from here!

kevmusic
12th May 2006, 15:18
Knew you'd do it, old boy! :) :ok: I'll have one or two on you tonight!

Kev.

Lister Noble
12th May 2006, 15:47
Thank you all for the congrats,it's only now I realise what I have done and it now seems quite an achievement,I imagine all you old hands felt that after the test?
I have just booked a table tonight for Mrs N and myself at the Fox and Goose ,Fressingfield,an excellent local eatery,as a little "thank you" to her for the incredible amount of time I have spent away from home each weekend.
Since last August,she never once actually complained ,just the occasional,"good to have you around" but usually that was when it was raining!
All the stuuff now posted to the CAA, so just a patient wait for a couple of weeks.
But all my mates say "Lister and patience are a contradiction",we will just see how it goes,although I have booked an hour each weekend to keep my hand in.
Lister;) ;)

Aussie Andy
12th May 2006, 17:08
I find balancing home and flyign time on weekends has been a challenge from the start - I think anyone with a young family will find this! But hey, congrats and all that, and its a good problem to have!

Andy :ok:

LysanderV8
12th May 2006, 20:12
Many congrats Lister. Hope you and Mrs N are having a great evening. You both deserve it. Patient partners are a great boon !!

Lysander

Blinkz
12th May 2006, 20:38
Congrats Lister, good job. Just wait till you take up your first passenger!!

Cheers mazzy, hope things are good with you. Here's a cpl of pics I've been taking. Enjoy :ok:

Photos (http://www.iseepeople.co.uk/firemonkey/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4060&)

kookabat
13th May 2006, 06:31
Lister! Top stuff, well done mate.

i.dingbat
13th May 2006, 07:23
Congratulations Lister - well done to you, and to your wife for being so understanding!

To Aussie Andy -

I find balancing home and flying time on weekends has been a challenge from the start - I think anyone with a young family will find this! But hey, congrats and all that, and its a good problem to have!
I have 4 boys, and they play cricket all weekend in the summer, and soccer all winter. I've resorted to getting up at 5am as it's the only time I get to myself. This paid off this morning as the low-lying mist looked beautiful in the morning light. No camera though! :ugh:

My wife's only contribution to flying is suggesting we can only afford 2 hours a month, and asking if my life insurance covers me for death due to flying.:*

One bright spot this morning was that I sat my BAK (a spur of the moment decision) and passed with flying colours. Do they have the same thing in the UK?

kevmusic
13th May 2006, 08:07
and asking if my life insurance covers me for death due to flying.:*

Funny you should say that............
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2576983#post2576983

kookabat
13th May 2006, 12:09
This paid off this morning as the low-lying mist looked beautiful in the morning light. No camera though!

I did when I did the same a few weeks back... or rather my pax at the time did.
http://www.geocities.com/kookabat/DSCI0369-crop.jpg

Gorgeous!!

(nb Mr Dingbat: this is in the general area of the Hawkesbury; up the Bankstown Lane of Entry)

Edit: Sorry, size was a bit excessive, wasn't it?? Made it smaller for you.

mazzy1026
15th May 2006, 07:12
Lister - very well done to you sir - I am made up for you! Thanks for posting all your experiences on here, fantastic! It won't sink in for a while to be honest, it still hasn't for me, but I am sure you will love every minute of your flying (apart from when the x-wind has shot up after departure hehe)...

Very well done - and thanks for the pics guys...

Lister Noble
2nd Jun 2006, 14:34
I had to post his here as nearly all my student posts are on this thread.
I flew 25 mins dual and 35 mins solo today and when I got home the postman had delivered the infamous brown covered licence ,so I can now log my first flight as a real pilot.
What a fantastic feeling.:D :ok:
I had already booked a table at The Wildebeest,near Norwich as another thank you to Mrs N for all her patience with the time I've been away flying most weekends,now it will also be a celebration of the official licence.

mazzy1026
4th Jun 2006, 15:57
Great innit - I bought a nice black leather case for mine, as I don't like the poo colour!

:ok:

GonTek
4th Jun 2006, 18:16
Well done at last Lee,considering the amount it cost's you would think it should be leather bound engraved in gold......

Gontek

mazzy1026
4th Jun 2006, 20:58
A simple letter from the CAA within the envelope saying perhaps "Well done", "Congratulations" or even "kiss my arse" would have been nice!

I aint moaning though, I am made up with what I have!

:E

bencoulthard
4th Jun 2006, 21:00
:rolleyes: scousers, always complaining

Chequeredflag
4th Jun 2006, 22:26
Well done Lister, I'm chuffed for you - a great achievment. The trick now is to keep up the flying. With a busy schedule of other interests, I've found it is very easy to let time slide by without flying. I've only flown three hours in the last eight weeks since passing my skills test - not good enough. I'm off now for 5 weeks on the boat, and will be staying in Guernsey for 10 days as part of the holiday, so I'm taking my licence, log book etc with me, to hire a Warrior over there (with one of their instructors of course)

Well done to everyone contributing to this forum for all their success,

Cheers

CF

mazzy1026
5th Jun 2006, 07:11
scousers, always complaining
Were thieves, not moaners!

Well I have 3.5 hours so far and have been aiming at an hour a month. The flying club has a 30 day currency rule which I have stuck to (give or take a few days) so far, and feel comfortable with this frequency of flying. Any more and I would have zero money and any less, well, that just wouldn't do! :8

Lister Noble
5th Jun 2006, 07:38
In my brand new licence it says I have to carry a document with my photo on it,although I understand that the older qualified pilots are not required to do this.
The only official things I have with a photo are a passport,gun licence and racing car licence,none of which I wish to carry around with me all the time I fly,so what do you do?

Would a bit of card with a photo and some wording this is a true likeness etc signed by a solicitor,doctor etc do?
Lister:confused:

NinjaBill
5th Jun 2006, 10:42
I carry my passport with me. It keeps customs and security people happy if you have to divert to a larger airport.

i.dingbat
6th Jun 2006, 14:01
You don't have photo licences back in Blighty?

:cool:

Andy_RR
7th Jun 2006, 05:32
You don't have photo licences back in Blighty?

:cool:

No, but we don't have ASIC's here either, so it's not all bad! :}

kookabat
7th Jun 2006, 10:17
Ahh we won't get started on photo licences and ASICs and stuff, will we, Iain?? :ugh:

We love CASA!!! :*

(for the record - took 'em three months to get my PPL to me. In that time I forgot how to land. Read the much, much earlier pages of this thread to find out more on that one!!!)

Happyeater
10th Jun 2006, 15:15
Mock Test Report (9th June).
Not since asking my wife's parents for permission to marry (over 17 yrs ago), have I felt so nervous. It's not that I really doubt what I can do, it's that I don't want to let people down. Hopefully, I'm close to the final GST and having to show the CFI how I could perform, played on my nerves. The mock test was to be today at 5pm. I was wide awake this morning at 6am thinking about what I should do, the order to ensure that the flight goes smoothly. The day looked promising and the forecast too looked good for Friday evening. Sun was trying hard to burn off the mist but it was already nice and bright with temperatures rising towards 70 degrees.
At lunchtime, I checked the 'Avbrief' reports for the wind strength and direction. With this I drew a compass rose on the map and added wind speeds and allowances for drift, heading in different directions. The booked aircraft was 'India Foxtrot' and I knew it cruised at around 100 knots with nil wind. By 2.30pm the 'pull' towards the airport was too much and I left for the Club. Somehow, I felt more comfortable there knowing that any car problems, traffic etc wouldn't delay my preparations for the flight, should they have happened. Travelling towards the airport the mist on the horizon was evident and the first nagging doubts entered my mind.
On my arrival at the Club the ATIS was giving the visibility at 8,000 metres. My minimum would be double that and I just hoped that it would improve over the next couple of hours. With the weather out of my control, the pre-flight preparations were done and the flight case arranged to make it easy to get things once airborne. The wristwatch came off to be replaced with the stopwatch and on the other arm went the larger wristwatch with the adjustable bezel, ideal for setting at take off and a back up for the stopwatch. With a few people around to talk to, time literally flew to 4pm when John the CFI summoned me in to his office. Unfortunately, 'India Foxtrot' had been taken by someone else and we had to go in 'Uniform Zulu' not ideal preparation as the plog had been prepared for a quicker aircraft.
John told me what the briefing would include and how the flight would be done including responsibilities and what notes should be recorded and things not to worry so much about. John asked if I was happy to proceed and I said, "No, as the visibility is 8k and I'd want at least 15k to go". As this was a mock test, JC over ruled me and told me we would fly but the viz would be taken in to account where necessary. So after being told to route from Newcastle to Milfield (north of Wooler) then to Lockerbie before heading home via Carlisle, JC checked my plog and off we went.
On the climb out from runway 07, the visibility quoted as 8k seemed to be optimistic as it looked to be about 6k. I couldn't see the coast or Morpeth ahead at all. The plog was to commence at Morpeth on the east hand side. We were quite close before Morpeth loomed out of the mist and I had to turn right to get to where I wanted to be for the start of the navigation leg. With the stopwatch running, I turned to my designated heading and climbed to 3,000 feet. Once trimmed, with no horizon at all and limited sight of the ground I told JC that we'd descend to 2500 feet to give me a chance of seeing more. The airspeed was all over the place as I tried to recognise landmarks and roads to the north of Morpeth. With dipping my wing, the heading was hard to hold and for some reason it was difficult to fly straight and level too. This was hard work. Even though I had spent many hours up here and knew roughly where places were, this was not much fun at all.
Just before Wooler, I changed course as I was half a mile west of where I should have been. On regaining course, the altitude was 500 feet lower than it should have. Up we went again and the new height nominated. Not long after this, as I pointed out a small village with a stream running through it, JC asked for a diversion to Amble on the coast. Normally from here Amble would almost be in view, not today. With the line drawn and the information divulged, we headed towards the east coast and a lot of very low cloud.
The diversion went well, John asking me to continue over the cloud until we could look down and hopefully spot out target. Right on 9 minutes, there, through the clouds were caravans, a well known site just outside Amble. With John happy we headed in land climbing to 3000 feet started the upper air work. Stalls first, flaps, flapless and simulated base to final turn with flaps. Everyone was yawed with the power, not too good at all as not enough right boot of rudder was applied. The steep turns went well, despite no horizon and the PFL also went according to plan but I had to push the nose down a little to get the right approach and we'd have got in, despite a few sheep.
Heading back to base, I called in at Morpeth and was told the circuit was busy and to report at Stannington. Only by following the A1 road could I find it at all. We orbited a few times before having to report and start of downwind, before base and then again on final. John asked for a short field landing and wanted me to land on the 'piano keys'. With full flaps and a good approach, that's exactly what I did! At last the experience ended on a very positive note.
Once inside the building, John sat me down for the de brief. Mostly things had gone well, apart from the height and directional issues on the Navigation leg which, would have been only a partial pass. John said that allowing for the weather, he wasn't too disappointed with it and the diversion was spot on. The yaw on the stalls was simply a right rudder to put right and again in the steep descent, rudder should have been firmer. The rest went well and the landing was just as required. I asked John if I should book another hour with an instructor and he said that I should do my half hour of solo to get me to 10 hours and then decide what I wanted to do after that. Personally, I blamed the poor viz and if that had been improved, I'd have been ok. If today had been the scheduled GST, I'd have cancelled. With the solo time booked, I think the GST won't be too far away.
www.happyflyboy.blog-city.com (http://www.happyflyboy.blog-city.com/...)

mazzy1026
12th Jun 2006, 15:25
Nice one fella, sounds like you done remarkably well considering the visibility - bring on the real thing now, and see how the nerves triple! I went up on Friday in amongst the haze and it was actually quite scary how easy it is to become disoriented and not know where you are - losing sight of features and coastlines is a horrible feeling!

Best of luck for the test - perhaps the last full writeup in here ;)

MyData
12th Jun 2006, 16:26
Coastlines? COASTLINES? Eeee, the PPL of today. When I were a lad we had to follow disused railway lines. And tiny rivers which blended into the yellow blob of a conurbation. And keep a sharp lookout for derelict powerstations.

You'll be after one of those new fangled GPS devices next. ;)

Although I must confess, the Humber estuary is a reassuring sight when flying over Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

Happyeater
12th Jun 2006, 20:44
I've got an hours solo tomorrow and I'll be working hard to iron out the glitches. If I then feel confident enough, I'll book the test. If not, I'll book another lesson, there's no hurry.

mazzy1026
13th Jun 2006, 06:58
Sometimes I think it's hard to know yourself if your ready, so I think that you should just go for it. Your instructor wouldn't send you for it - and after all (as said many times here) you won't be doing anything on the test that you haven't already done to a good standard with your instructor.

Saying that, my CFI loved pulling fuses! :ouch:

Happyeater
15th Jun 2006, 20:07
Advice taken, Mazzy.

mazzy1026
16th Jun 2006, 08:10
Is that a hint at a test date or have you done it ?????

NT42
16th Jun 2006, 12:35
Good day all!

Been a long time since I've posted, so hope you're well Mazzy, (and everyone else!).

I've been slowly plodding along with my training. On 36 or 37 hours TT. 12 solo, so I'm getting there! Revising for the GST now, so getting rather excited!

Without wishing to bring up the "exams before QXC" debate.....I've got tonnes of exams to do :ugh:

Literally just passed RT practical. Leaving me with quite a few writtens to do. As soon as I've finished the dreaded A-levels they'll get done quickly.

So hope everyone's keeping well and getting lots of flying in!

Good luck Paul.....whenever it may be ;)

Cheers all.

GonTek
17th Jun 2006, 10:13
JW Get the exams done soonest or the GFT sneeks up on you big style,Happyeater has a disc that helped me out and if you cant get hold of him I can do you a copy,it is much easier to understand than confuser's.

Give me a ring if you get stuck

Mazzy hope your hope your dad is ok...

GT

Happyeater
17th Jun 2006, 10:16
Is that a hint at a test date or have you done it ?????

Date arranged, mate.

:ooh:

GonTek
17th Jun 2006, 10:18
you got nothing better to do

Revision?

Happyeater
17th Jun 2006, 11:58
you got nothing better to do
Revision?
Har har. Actually, I am.:8

Vee One...Rotate
18th Jun 2006, 17:18
Nearly two years and an obscene amount of money later and it's finally done.

Passed the GST today :)

Emotionally, physically and financially exhausted :eek:

(Captain) V1R :ok:

Happyeater
18th Jun 2006, 17:43
Wow, congratulations, Captain Vee. Another success in 2006, seem to be coming thick and fast now. Are we going to get a write up?

Well done.

NT42
18th Jun 2006, 19:33
GT - cheers, HP and I are sorting the disc, thanks very much! :ok:

With a bit of luck it shouldn't be too long before I can get them all done! (Just juggling A-level exams and flying exams at the moment!).

And WELL DONE VeeOne!! Very well done indeed!! There are a lot of passes this year, it's excellent!

1d2d3d4d
19th Jun 2006, 19:20
Hi All,

Did my QXC on Sunday not sure wether to post here or Bens. Thought I would post it here as it is towards the end of my PPL.

The route was to be Wellesbourne to Cambridge via Sywell. Cambridge to Leicester. Leicester to Wellesbourne via Rugby to avoid the ILS approach at Coventry.

Did the first leg, Wellesbourne, Sywell, no answer from Bourn, found Cambridge, all went well one of my best landings and got signed off with good for RT and landing. Then on to Leicester, as soon as I got on track I realised that the vis on this leg was not so good, though the flight went well untill I got to Corby, flew over Rockingham raceway searching for an airfield and then it appeared, on time and slightly right of track. Called field in sight descended to 2000ft QFE, only it wasn't Leicester. I am now orbiting a disused field, call Leicester, they tell me to call East Mids App. The very nice man there tells me I am orbiting Melton Mowbray disused airfield and gives me a heading for Leicester.

When I get to Leicester I am told the runway is 22. Now I am used to the best part of 1000 metres of runway, to me on the approach calling finals runway 22 looked like the deck of an aircraft carrier. http://forum.wellaviate.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_surprised.gif Touched down on the numbers and didn't need half of the runway. Got a good for RT and landing here as well.

On the flight back to Wellesbourne passed a light aircraft, he was below and in front crossing my path left to right. Immediately after he passed Coventry asked me to orbit my present position, and whilst I was doing so told me to continue my original course as the target they were trying to contact was crossing the approach to their runway 23 with a 737 coming into land!

Arrival at Wellesbourne was some what embarrassing I got the frequency wrong on the plog, in fact on 2 plogs and Coventry did not correct me when I read it out so I ended up joining and landing with no radio, and got my wrist slapped for incorrect circuit procedure. http://forum.wellaviate.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif I got backwith out bending anything, especially me and with my QXC signed off great.

Regards Chris

Happyeater
19th Jun 2006, 21:51
Well done, Chris. You seemed to have it under control. Wouldn't worry about those 'learning experiences' they're vital as we move towards the PPL licence. It's a great feeling being allowed to go off on our own, the satisfaction on completing it safely, is marvellous. :ok:

davidatter708
20th Jun 2006, 10:16
When I get to Leicester I am told the runway is 22. Now I am used to the best part of 1000 metres of runway, to me on the approach calling finals runway 22 looked like the deck of an aircraft carrier. http://forum.wellaviate.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_surprised.gif
Just be glad you didnt get 24 :E shortest licensed runway in the UK and downhill

Blinkz
20th Jun 2006, 17:05
Congrats to everyone that is passing their PPLs, good job! It so good to see everyone who has been active in this thread actaully get the licence!

I'm currently in Phoenix AZ doing my CPL, weather here is great, altho the heat is mind blowing. 45c is not uncommon, and the warrior really doesn't like climbing when its that hot! Photos here (http://www.iseepeople.co.uk/firemonkey/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4060) if people are interested!

Vee One...Rotate
21st Jun 2006, 14:43
Just be glad you didnt get 24 shortest licensed runway in the UK and downhill

And don't forget it's grass to boot (which could do with a cut!).

V1R

davidatter708
21st Jun 2006, 16:07
V1R what do u fly at leicester or are u a humble student like me

mazzy1026
23rd Jun 2006, 11:57
A nice revival of this thread!

JWF - good to see your progress, it seems like 5 mins ago when you were starting out! Keep up the good work (and yes - do the exams boyo!!!) :p

V1R - superb, another addition to the class of 2006 - need I describe how good the feeling is when you hear those wonderful words ("You've passed") :D Very well done, and look forward to that write-up :E

1d2d - thanks for the writeup, very good. Sounds like you learned a lot that day, all part of the process. I don't think there is anyone out there who didn't have a hairy moment or ten on their QXC. Best of luck to you in the remainder, and let us know how you get on!

Blinkz, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw your name in here again - are you trying to regain top spot? :ok: Pics are superb, looks like your having a great time, keep us informed as to how you get on! Will speak to you soon (getting t'internet set up at home in a couple of weeks (bought my first house with the GF and only moved in a few weeks back) so will be on MSN like the old days)....

Thanks for the good wishes,

davidatter708
23rd Jun 2006, 15:31
Hey people had my first lesson today instructor very happy with me already talking about getting solo. Its nice to finally getting the ball rolling after a year of just flying with mates
David

Lister Noble
23rd Jun 2006, 15:41
David,well done ,it seems to be going very well for you.
I had my first lesson around just under a year ago and have now had my PPL for 4 weeks.It's is very well worth all the effort!
Re this excellent thread.
There is so much good stuff in here it would be worthwhile someone putting the lot into an electronic type book,:) with chapters for all the different topics.
It sounds like a lot of work, but are there any computer buffs out there who would have a bash at it?

Vee One...Rotate
23rd Jun 2006, 18:18
V1R what do u fly at leicester or are u a humble student like me

I was...until last Sunday :)

Still have to sit the practical R/T and bundle the application for that off with the PPL paperowork (cheaper apparently...bonus) but the final skills test is passed :ok:

I'm guessing your in a 152? PM me if you have any questions about, well, anything!

Leicester's a friendly club.

V1R

P.S. That GST write-up may happen...bogged down with stuff at the minute though in prep for starting professional training :bored:

Happyeater
29th Jun 2006, 18:39
Well, the GST was passed this afternoon. I'm knackered but very happy and there's a bottle of Moet open if anyone wants some.

I'll get the write up on here as soon as I settle down....

NT42
29th Jun 2006, 18:45
Just to add on to what I've said....

WELL DONE PAUL!!!!!!

Very many congratulations!! I'll have some of that Moet...! :}

Very well done man, hope to see you flying at Newcastle as a qualified pilot very soon!

GonTek
29th Jun 2006, 21:34
Captain Happyeater !!!!!!

Well done Paul (easy init)

Catch up with you soon.

Happyeater
29th Jun 2006, 22:39
Here ya go.

THE BIG DAY

My General Skills Test was actually scheduled for Thursday the 22nd June. I had spoken with Alistair Stevenson, the Flying Examiner the previous day and received the route and a briefing over the phone. Unfortunately, the weather was against us and despite being at the Club for most of the day (poor Alistair had to come backwards and forwards from Carlisle twice) until we eventually called it off at 7pm. The winds had been gusting to 40 knots and even in the late evening the ATIS was giving the wind at around 17 knots. The GST was re-scheduled to the 29th June 2006.

This time Alistair called me, as arranged, the night before to make sure I was ok with everything and to give me a few ideas once again as to what the test would involve. On the Thursday at 1.30pm, Alistair called to confirm that all seemed ok and we would rendezvous at the Club at around 2.45 - 3pm. I was feeling ok until Alistair said,

"A beautiful day, great viz, little cloud, no wind....no excuses!"

I had already done the plog from the information supplied by Avbrief and most of the rest of the stuff was done in preparation the week before. so, one last check of my flight bag and I was off to the Club. Only stopping briefly at Tesco for a couple of bottles of cold water, I was at the Club inside half an hour. After saying hello to the instructors and my friend Dave (dogs bollock's dad) who was there for a bimble down to Humberside, I checked the NOTAM's and prepared myself for the flight.

Alistair arrived not long after and we went through to the briefing room to finalise the plan and to fill in a bit of paperwork. Our chariot was heard arriving back from Carlisle and I was told to go and check (Juliet Victor) out. As we were doing the walk around, Andy one of the Flying Instructors came out to say that the pilot who had returned JV mentioned that the rudder seemed 'spongy' and Andy offered to take it for a run around the apron to check things out. With safety in mind, of course, I agreed and Alistair and I went inside to wait for the prognosis.

After 10 minutes, Andy came in to explain that the rudder did seem spongy in its feel but he'd checked all linkages etc and it looked to be fine. I was offered G-BMUZ instead but elected to take Juliet Victor. The booking form was faxed to ATC and the technical log checked to ensure we were within legal aircraft hours. Out we went to finish off the checks and I backtracked a little on my checklist to ensure nothing was missed. Alistair stood at the end of the starboard side wing, in the brilliant sunshine, as I went through the external stuff and as I was climbing in Alistair asked,

"What colour light is at this end of this wing"

"Erm green" I replied, after working out that I was sitting in the doorway facing the rear of the aircraft and the right hand wing was now on my left! I was right, thank heavens. In we got and I slowly, methodically said the checks out loud. Alistair nodded and said all was well before I asked for clearance and we moved to the Foxtrot hold for power checks. Trying hard to remember all the little things I moved through the list and we were ready to go. I gave the passenger brief and the emergency procedure, just in case and called for our departure instructions. When I was ready, I took a couple of deep breaths and a long drink of cool water out of my flight bag.

"Golf Juliet Victor ready for departure"

After a short hold, we backtracked on runway 25 and before we'd turned, received clearance to take off. After checking with Alistair to make sure he was ok and comfortable, power was applied and we accelerated along the tarmac and lifted clear. Climbing to 500 feet, checking the instruments, ensuring that we were at 80 knots, we turned north for the navigation leg of the test. The first leg was to Wooler and at 3500 feet I trimmed and did my first FREDA check.

As I was familiar with this stage, I took time to settle in and arrange the map, plog and get pens ready before the hard work begins. With the aircraft trimmed and staying where it was put, I actually began to enjoy the experience. We arrived two minutes early at Wooler due to stronger than forecast southerly winds pushing us along. We approached my first turning point and we noticed a fast military jet down to our right, hugging the ground at incredible speeds. Just as I was about to say, "They normally come in two's", a second jet passed right across our tail and turned right before descending on our left hand side below the wing and out of view below us....WOW!

Turning at Wooler and re setting my stopwatch, we made for Duns in Scotland. Newcastle asked me to call Scottish FIR and then come back to Newcastle once we return back in to their airspace. My first radio call to someone other than an airport. We got a Flight Information Service and travelled north north west over the Scottish border at Coldstream. The big meandering rivers made navigation easy and before long we were at Duns and turning for Dumfries. Using a large disused airfield on my left, I used a main road to follow to a small town called Earlsdon before Alistair asked me to divert to Beadnell on the North East coast.

"105 degrees, 35 miles, 22 minutes at 3000 feet". And off we went, towards familiar territory again. At this point I noted that the direction indicator was precessing and had to reset it. Good job those FREDA checks worked although I could have done more really. Keeping the Cheviot Hills on my right we passed Millfield and Wooler before sighting the coast in the distance. Holy Island to our left looked fantastic bathed in early evening sunshine. Bamburgh Castle shone like a beacon just a little way down the coastline as we moved towards Beadnell, then on time loomed the small village we'd been aiming for, excellent stuff.

"Confirm it is Beadnell using any aid you wish" asked Alistair.

Using the VOR and DME at St Abbs Head, I confirmed the position with the Vortrack purchased for such an exercise, it was spot on. And we climbed and headed south as Alistair explained that he was now responsible for navigation and radio as the upper air work was going to begin. Then after following the St Abbs VOR at 105 knots, we turned to head south.

We climbed to 4500 feet and started with the three stalls which were good. My steep turns went well as did the spiral dive recovery and steep gliding turns. I had a large mouthful of water before starting a gentle descent to 2500feet to do a PFL. Then after following the St Abbs VOR at 105 knots, we turned to 180 degrees.

The power was pulled and the aircraft was trimmed for 75 knots and a couple of fields pointed out before the restart checks, simulated MAYDAY and an approach was done. Shut down was said out loud and then I realised that I was too high and swapped for a field to the left, further away and a better option. Alistair was really helpful all the way around and he called for a climb away at 500ft satisfied with a "Really good" PFL. On climb out, the power was pulled again.

"Oh no, another engine failure" He smiled as I pushed the nose down and aimed for another field. Again this went as it should and we climbed away to head back towards Morpeth.

"You now have the radio and navigation, take us back and we'll need three circuits".

So, I asked Newcastle Radar for a rejoin and three circuits. The rejoin was given but I was asked to speak to Tower for the circuits. Changing frequency to Tower, I asked them for permission and they were approved. Alistair said that if there was a problem, he'd intervene to "Mark his authority" on them, which gave us a good laugh. With the airfield in sight, a full flap landing was requested. ATC then asked us to get in early as there was another aircraft on a long final. Down went the nose and we shot along towards the runway. When we were close, I pulled back the throttle and got some flap in before turning base. Full flap was put in at 400 ft and down we went. The landing was a little hard but it wasn't too bad at all. Full power and up we went for a flapless approach.

This time the approach was flatter and the landing a really nice one on the centre line. Alistair was happy and up we went again for our last left hand circuit. A comment about how well the circuits had gone without interruption by other aircraft was bound to spoil my last landing, and it did.
"Orbit left as one aircraft on final" requested ATC and we smiled. Ah well, it had to happen, I suppose.

This approach was a glide approach and it was one of the best I'd done. We taxied to Foxtrot, thanked ATC as we vacated and closed down the aircraft. Alistair had said that I'd handled the landing well and then said, "Congratulations" as he offered to shake my hand.

Wow, a lifetime ambition had been achieved, what a feeling. We opened the door and the cooler air was a relief as the aircraft had been incredible. As we walked across the apron, I was grinning like a complete loon! Inside the club house, I was congratulated by Phil and we went to the training room for a de brief and to complete the paperwork.

Alistair pointed out a few things which will improve me as a pilot and the paperwork was finished off before he said "Goodbye" and headed home, after we got Phil to take a celebratory photo.

So, thirty eight years after getting the 'bug' on that flight to Jersey and fifty nine hours in to the training, I'm now a pilot. A lifelong ambition reached and I am incredibly happy that now I am free to explore the skies with and family members or friends brave enough to get in an aircraft with me. What a journey....

davidatter708
30th Jun 2006, 08:15
Well done Happy eater! Your making me jelous now and scared as ive got to do that in a couple of months anyway i best be off I have a flying lesson to go to
David

mazzy1026
30th Jun 2006, 08:15
Paul - I am absolutely made up for you my friend - very well done to you. I remember what seems like ion's ago you sending me your progress and remember you had several concerns etc - look at you now, I bet it doesn't sink in for months yet (well, I still wonder sometimes how I managed a pilot's license!).

Best wishes, and thanks for the write-up, very well written!

Happyeater
30th Jun 2006, 13:09
Lee - thanks a lot mate. Its amazing how it all just comes together. Even a few weeks back I didnt feel ready, on test day, I knew I'd be fine.

David - There is nothing you'll be asked to do that your FI's haven't asked you to do. Once they're confident to let you do the GST have confidence that you are good enough. Also, its been said many times on here, the examiner really really wants you to pass.

Paperwork sent today having been all signed off this morning. :)

Biggles_77
30th Jun 2006, 19:44
Hi all,
i've just come up to my 16th hour with the PPL - but it feels like i'm progressing really slowly. I'm onto my 2nd instructor now as my last landed a job with the Airlines. When I was younger I started out flying and managed to wind up 8 hours - at the time i could'nt really afford it and so had to stop. But now i'm older and wiser with a bit more cash and so have recently started back up again. I'm up to 16 hours now but it feels like i'm progressing slowly - mainly due to the weather but it has also taken me a while to grasp stalling - is this normal ?.. When I first started stalling I was nervous - but now after 3 or so lessons i'm there.. Can any-one tell me ?- should I be starting on the radio work yet ?? - i'm eager to, but have'nt been shown the correct procedures as yet.. I'm currently having 2 lessons a month which is as far as my budget can go at the moment.
Biggles

LysanderV8
1st Jul 2006, 10:34
Well done Happyeater and thanks for a great write up !

Lysander

Lister Noble
1st Jul 2006, 16:56
Excellent write up Happyeater ,and very well done!
Took Mrs N flying today,my first non-pilot passenger,and she absolutley loved every minute of it despite a tricky cross-wind landing.
The viz was a bit hazy but we flew over some of our old sailing haunts in Suffolk and Norfolk,and picked out some favourite overnight anchorages etc.
It was quite amazing flying along over estuaries and backwaters with her beside me,we both said "Who would ever imagine we would be doing this?"
I'm really glad she liked it because we can now plan some longer trips for the future,maybe with an experienced pilot beside me at first.
Brilliant stuff this flying,isn't it?

Lister:) :) :)

Cricket23
1st Jul 2006, 23:18
Well done Happyeater.

Lister, I was due to head up to Old Buck yesterday (Sat), but on taxying out the oloe leg collapsed! And such a nice day for flying as well!

Oh well, another day perhaps.

I note from your blog that there was a tricky cross-wind. Out of interest, what runway were you on and what was the wind?

Cheers,

C23

MyData
2nd Jul 2006, 07:13
Well done HappyEater!

Happyeater
2nd Jul 2006, 09:04
Now the dust has settled a bit, here is my own self-appraisal of the skills test and maybe a few lessons for the studes coming through to practice or take note from.

Firstly, everyone says that the examiners really want you to pass. Its a strange concept to grasp that you'll be flying a test with someone positive and pilot friendly. You know what? Its true. My examiner was fantastic, the pre test brief was comprehensive and thorough. If anything its there to build your confidence before the flight and to put you at ease. Everything is explained, slowly, in detail with lots of opportunities to ask questions and discuss things. For example, where and when to brief the examiner, what order things will happen, how the plog will be examined and what he/she is looking for. Blimey, how easy and helpful can people be?

Then there is the GST day. My examiner called me the day before and a few hours prior to the test to make sure I was ok, happy with the weather and generally to put me at ease. It sounds formal, it wasn't at all. It was professional but very friendly and helpful.

You can (and probably will make mistakes....I'll go through mine in a moment) these are accepted as 'understandable' in certain circumstances, some are simply silly and some may or will fail you. The ones which may or will fail you are the ones where the examiner has absolutely no alternative than to take control of the aircraft or you show that you have no idea of what you're saying or behaving. This is not likely given that your Instructors and CFI have said you're ready to do the GST!

OK, to the problems I had, and the lessons I learned. Perhaps I should say that I was fortunate enough to gain some experience from an expert...because that is true. We learn all the time, even in the test.
So, what did I do that could have been better;

1. At the hold for power checks I turned the aircraft towards the wind but not in to it. Why not? Well the Foxtrot hold at Newcastle is quite narrow and runs north to south. The wind was southerly (behind me as I approached the hold) I should have swung the aircraft 180 degrees instead of 90. As it was a warm day, the engine wouldn't have cooled sufficiently as I did the checks and held there for traffic. I have never turned the aircraft 180 there nor have I ever seen it done. The aircraft in front of me did the same thing (with instructors aboard) turning 90 degrees to wind. I will swing in future and next time in the club will inform the instructors too.

2. FREDA checks. Familiarity is a bad thing. When in the area where I had done most of my training, I didn't do enough FREDA's. Do them, its habit forming. My DI was precessing during the nav leg and I found it and rectified it after every change of heading. Yet after steep turns and a spiral dive recovery, I didn't check it. Why? because the upper air work was in 'home' territory. Do the FREDA's complete and often. Btw, I was checking the T&P's and applying carb heat often, just not addressing the precessing DI.

3. On the VOR/DME position fix I tuned the VOR to show 'from' St Abbs Head and took the fix. After the fix, I was asked to track directly to the VOR at 105 knots indicated. So, nose down, power up and off we went. The VOR indicater needle moved a little right and so I turned a little right too. The needle mover further right.....hmmmmmmm. Not until I turned the indicater to 'to' the VOR was I flying accurately. It was like flying backwards, luckily I realised something was wrong quite quicky as we'd have been heading for Norway had I continued like that!

4. Be tidy. During training the FI will often take control to allow you to draw a line, do a fix etc. It may not happen in the GST so, be tidy, have everything to hand and remember to keep a look out, often. Its easy to get your head down and the aircraft decides to spiral!

5. Take some water with you, its thirsty (and hot) work.

6. Enjoy it. You're flying...its what we want to do.

Just a few of my experiences from a very enjoyable but stressful day. Believe me, it's worth it.

Lister Noble
2nd Jul 2006, 18:14
Cricket,
I was on 07 and the wind was at around 70 degrees to runway,maybe 10 + knots and gusty.
Sorry I can't be more exact , there was a small crosswind on take off,but it was a lot stronger and had moved round on landing, I was told wind on finals but can't remember exact figure now.
Look forward to seeing you at Old bBuck someday.
By the way 07 is quite uphill at the beginning of runway,I have been told it's better to land further up the runway but it's strange to accept this concept of the use of less runway,especially when it's not of an immense length anyway!

GonTek
4th Jul 2006, 19:19
BIGGLES 77 : You are going through nothing unusual,if you read back this thread you will find everybody has the same things to go through at roughly the same times in their training as you progress, it is a natural thing and a good thing to be aprehensive and thing's will become second nature after a while but complacency should not be.
You will get there in the end as we all have/ or are in the process of...

Regards all

GT

mazzy1026
11th Jul 2006, 12:09
Firstly, apologies for not posting in so long - I changed my address in my profile and the activation email didn't come through for about 2 weeks!

davidatter708 - thanks for the post mate, how are you getting on since your last post?

Paul - how's the flying going, got your poo wallet yet ? :cool:

Lee :ok: vbmenu_register("postmenu_2672444", true);

1d2d3d4d
31st Jul 2006, 20:02
Hi all

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on Ben's, so I thought I'd go for the original.

Skills test, Sunday July 30th. The nav section was at first glance fairly easy from Wellesbourne to a overhead a grass strip near Bristol and then to a Valley town in South Wales. I must admit I was nervous for the first section despite everyones words of encouragement, including the examiners. The weather didn't help, it was pretty bumpy and with the cloud base at just over 3000 ft I couldn't climb above it for the nav section and had to fly most of it at 2500. Height control was not easy it was thermic and windy so take your eyes off the horizon say for a FREDA and by the time you got back to the altimeter you had a height correction to make. With this and being so nervous I felt as if I was 10 seconds behind the aircraft untill I got to the grass strip and positively identified it. We were early which may also may have made me feel slightly behind the aircraft, but I did recognise we would be early and gave a revised ETA on the outward leg. After that I calmed down and flew the second leg better, positively identified a waypoint and then came the diversion.

The diversion was to another grass strip more or less on the way home and with a lovely range of hills, the Malverns, to aim at to confirm my heading the diversion was easier than expected. Luckily I spotted the wind was almost on our tail so I got the ETA pretty well spot on.

I was quite pleased with my general handling, I was just asked to do a second steep turn to the right, and that one went pretty well, oh and I had to use my undershoot field on my PFL but the examiner said I would have got in OK.

The circuit work was hard work. It was so :mad: choppy on final approach that I forgot to select second stage flap I was so busy trying to keep the aircraft on line and steady in the approach. I think because I was tired after 2 hours of flying in bumpy conditions and because the approaches were difficult my landings were not as good as I would have hoped but they were sound.

The main thing is I got a pass:) :) :) and I've been wearing this big silly grin since.

Regards Chris.

PS Would love to fly in to Tattenhill on the 19th but I will be driving down to Devon.:{

MyData
1st Aug 2006, 07:05
Mazzy's famous thread refuses to go away! :E

Chris - congratulations! Well done, it can't have been easy. I was up in the air over the weekend, at 4000ft it was smooth flying but descending through 3500ft it was some of the choppiest weather I've ever been in. My approach and landing at Sheffield was 'interesting'. I wouldn't like to have done my skills test in such conditions.

Happyeater
1st Aug 2006, 12:13
Congratulations Chris, the grin lasts ages. Get your paperwork in and await the poo brown package to arrive. That makes the grin even bigger!!

Lister Noble
1st Aug 2006, 13:50
Well done Chris,it takes a while to sink in before you realise exactly what you have achieved.
Did with me anyway!;)
Paid for my share in the Cub last night and will be doing my tailwheel conversion the weekend after next,I was in the hangar late afternoon inspecting the aircraft in the diffuse sunlight and it made me realise why I had learnt to fly.

1d2d3d4d
1st Aug 2006, 20:36
Thanks guys,

MyData I was pleased to hear you say it was choppy on Sunday, I thought it was me! I did 3 solo circuits on Saturday to get in the groove for Sunday because I hadn't flown for nearly 3 weeks and severely dented my confidence because it was difficult to fly the circuit accurately perhaps it was choppier than I thought!

Got to do my RT practical, then I can send off for my licence. Scary thought I can take non flying pax, and I feel I know nothing.:eek:

Still grinning though:D :D :D

Regards Chris

mazzy1026
4th Aug 2006, 07:51
Chris - very well done to you :cool:

The feeling you get after taking your first passenger is superb - it all fits into place then on what you have achieved! :ok:

await the poo brown package to arrive
No, that's before the test ! :E

Cheers,

MerseyViking
5th Aug 2006, 12:09
Hi everyone,
I've got my first flying lesson this Monday at 1500 with Liverpool Flying School. I'm really excited! After reading almost every post on this epic thread, I feel like I've known some of you for years!
So if anyone will be at EGGP Monday afternoon and fancies buying me a beer for being a piloting virgin, let me know :)
I'm off to run around the house with my arms outstretched making aeroplane noises... :}

-J

mazzy1026
5th Aug 2006, 12:52
Mersey - welcome! Suppose the thread isn't what it used to be, as so many of us have passed but glad you found it a good read...

Who is your instructor?

Cheers,

MerseyViking
5th Aug 2006, 13:39
Hi Mazzy,
I spoke to Bill on the phone yesterday, but I don't know if he's going to be my instructor.
Understandably this thread isn't what it was two years ago, but I know a few people who've trained with LFS have posted, so I decided to share my excitement :D
Besides, this thread has got a reputation for being "the thread that wouldn't die", which needs upholding :ok:

-J

mazzy1026
5th Aug 2006, 15:05
hehe cheers ;)

Bill is a top bloke but unfortunately doesn't instruct anymore - he works the desk. There are some very good instructors there, if you manage to speak to Dennis, give me a mention :ok:

1d2d3d4d
8th Aug 2006, 18:35
Hi guys,

RT practical done and dusted, log book checked, stamped and verified. All forms filled in, signed with log book, medical certificate and passport all on it's way to the CAA.

Still grinning:D :D :D

Regards Chris

PS As this thread refuses to lie down and stay down. What is everyone now doing post PPL? Mazzy any more stripping?

kookabat
9th Aug 2006, 07:42
Me, post PPL:
1) Numerous flights over Sydney Harbour for various people. I really really need to find something new to do.
2) A couple of 'for the hell of it' jollies in company with some mates in other aircraft, or just around to the nearest couple of airports for 'something different'
3) Scared the bejeebus out of myself in an aeroplane at least once

At the moment - flying just enough to stay competent (as opposed to 'current'), aiming to move on to taildraggers in the near future (once the required $$$$ come through!)

mazzy1026
9th Aug 2006, 08:34
Mazzy any more stripping?
I would post some pictures but wouldn't wanna scare you off!

Well if you remember a few pages back I made a rather sad post about my father, well his funeral was on Monday, so in short, the past 12 months have been the worst of my life - it's funny because I have also achieved some good things, but not been able to celebrate them as much as I would have liked to.

As a result, I only have 4.5 hours total, and have not been up in about 8 weeks, simply not had the time with recent events etc and lack of motivation at losing my Dad so young.

Anyway, things are settling down somewhat now, so my aim is to get up with my instructor soon and get my currency back, before taking to the skies once more (and give some better replies on here - again, lack of time to pretty much anything!)

Sorry for the negative post, just wanted to get a few things off my chest (you know what I am like for doing that ;) )

Best wishes,

MyData
9th Aug 2006, 10:21
Mazzy - sorry to hear the sad news.

On the post-PPL front I've carried on learning and looking for opportunities to improve my flying:
- Started IMC training and have five hours under my belt. I'd recommend this to many people as it is a great way to hone your flying skills and improve your safe flying.
- Flown family and friends all over Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.
- Spent last weekend circuit bashing (I kid you not). I found I was lacking confidence in some of the basics after doing lots of flying around so hired a machine and did some circuits, slow flying and PFLs.
- And to top it off I'm now learning in helicopters, with 2 hours so far. Now there is a challenge for anyone, hovering is sooooo difficult to master, I'm up to 45 seconds before the thing decides to oscillate wildly and its time to say 'You have control' to the instructor!

Kookabat

Numerous flights over Sydney Harbour for various people. I really really need to find something new to do.

That sounds awesome, but I know what you mean about finding something new to do. Our nearest big landmark is the Humber Bridge with a span of about a mile. It is cool to see it from the air the first time, but after taking everyone for a flight there I'm starting to feel like a tour guide and looking for somewhere else to go.

MerseyViking
9th Aug 2006, 10:21
Hi Mazzy,
I'm really sad to hear your father has passed away. I spoke to Dennis on Monday, and he said he saw the obituary in the paper and wanted to pass on his condolences to you. You're right, he's a top bloke.
My first lesson was absolutely superb. We flew over the Wirral and along the North Wales coast, before turning back at Llandudno. There's an awful lot to take in, but Dennis's calm demeanour put me at ease right away. We were no. 5 as we were coming in, so it was 10 minutes of orbiting around the garden festival; 30 degrees bank is much steeper than I thought! I'm not sure I'm looking forward to doing steep turns :eek:
And to top it all off, I picked up the complete set of Trevor Thom books from eBay for £50 :D
I hope your skies get clearer from now on, Mazzy; it'll be great to see you back in the air.

Sincerest regards,
-John

mazzy1026
9th Aug 2006, 10:37
Thanks for the kind words all ;)

John, we really must meet up! Don't worry about 30 degrees, and when you come to do steep turns, just remember one thing (well a few things) you need to increase your power to counteract the loss of airspeed as a result of increasing the angle of attack! That will make more sense in later hours and as you read on, but that's what is being looked for in the flight test (as well as being safe throughout your flying days of course).

PM me your email and I will be in touch...

Cheers,

EK4457
9th Aug 2006, 15:41
A fantastic thread- can't believe that I've never seen it before!!!!

I know it's a bit of vague question, but....

I've just completed my QXC (Barton-Wolverhampton-Blackpool-Barton) and after an hour or so of 'brushing up' I'm going to do my skills test next week.

However, I'm a bit unsure of weather I'm ready for it. All of my instructors say that I am (about 6 in total!!!) but since I (obviously) haven't done the skills test before, I don't know exactly what standard is required and what to expect.

Did anyone elese feel the same or is it just me?!!!

EK

MerseyViking
9th Aug 2006, 16:32
I'm probably not the most qualified person on this thread, but it sounds like you've just got pre-exam nerves. Your instructors wouldn't say you're ready if you're not, they don't gain anything by it. It seems everyone who's got to this stage and have posted on this thread, have gone through exactly the same feelings of unpreparedness. Most of them surprise themselves by performing well on the day, but even if you do fluff up some parts of it, you can still get a partial pass, which gives you the opportunity to brush up on the bits you failed on and take the remainder.
If you're really feeling unready, then another option may be to ask one of your (many!) instructors to take you through a mock test, just so you can get a handle on what you need to do, and any sticking points you might have. If your instructors are anything like mine, they'll want you to pass.
Go on, you can do it. No, really, you can!

-J

Lister Noble
9th Aug 2006, 17:47
EK,
I was very worried before my skills test and managed only a few hours sleep so was really tired before I started.
It is a long test around 2.5 –3hrs and although my navigation section was OK I was absolutely knackered when we got to the flying exercises and only managed a partial pass, thankfully when I re-sat the failed section it was OK second time round.
I wish I had taken a mock exam of the whole skills test, having said that, I never asked and I suppose if I had it would have been allowed?
Anyway wishing you good luck.

Mazzy,
I’m sorry for your distress and know a little how you must feel.
My father died when I was 18,and I still miss him,my mother died when I was around your age so for a lot of my life had no parents to share things with
We had a small engineering business and dad would have been interested in my journey through life, I really missed not sharing my various exploits into sailing, motor racing, now the flying and of course also my career which although agriculture based has also been strongly linked to engineering..
Luckily I have had fantastic friends and partners, and now a good wife who has shared a lot of my pains and pleasures over the years.
I’m afraid I don’t believe in the afterlife but know that we live on through our deeds, so your father will live on for you through his influence on your life.
My best wishes for the future
Lister

1d2d3d4d
9th Aug 2006, 19:36
Mazzy, I really am sorry to learn about your Dad. I paid for my PPL training with my inheritance following my Dad's death, he never knew his son was a pilot. I bet your Dad was really proud of you!

EK4457, If your instructors reckon you are ready you'r ready. It's like your QXC, only you have a passenger. If you would be uncomfortable with the weather for a solo flight don't go. You are the Captain, it's your call. If you drift from height or heading put it right. If you make changes to height, heading ETA tell him and tell him why. If you see other aircraft tell him.

It's a long flight without a break and with general handling at the end you will need to brush up PFL's, EFATO's, slow flight, stalls, steep turns etc if you havn't done any for a while. Plus a few circuits with normal , flapless and glide approaches. It dosn't have to be perfect, just demonstrate that you are safe.

I was really nervous for mine but in hind sight it was because it is the first excersise you do without practicing with an instructor. You'll be fine:ok:

Regards Chris

mazzy1026
10th Aug 2006, 09:32
EK I will second exactly what Mersey has said, and no matter how much prep you do for it, you somehow never feel ready. No matter how many times you go over the mock, like Mersey said, you are being sent for it because your instructors think you are ready. You won't do anything in the test that you haven't already done in the training (well, that's not quite true for me!).

Best of luck and let us know how you get on,

Edit: Guys, looks like were posting at the same time - I really do appreciate those kind words, they mean a lot....

Happyeater
10th Aug 2006, 11:36
Mazzy, I'm so sorry to hear of your sad loss. Your dad would be proud as punch of you anyway, I'd bet your exam and PPL success just added to that pride. He'll be smiling down on you from IMC land somewhere!!

Hope to see you back in the air very shortly, mate.

EK4457
10th Aug 2006, 16:53
Thanks guys,

Just wanted to know if it was normal to be a bit apprehensive. Seems it is!!

Mazzy, I don't belive in the afterlife either, but your old man would most definately have been proud.

EK

Flik Roll
10th Aug 2006, 20:20
You can request to do the skills test in 2 parts. I did due WX; but you can request to do the nav on one day/trip and then the general handling on another.

1d2d3d4d
6th Sep 2006, 20:10
Hi all,

Just to let you all know I am now the proud posessor of a CAA poo coloured wallet complete with PPL.

Now what do I do?

Regards Chris

ormus55
6th Sep 2006, 20:17
many congratulations.
now go and get a 100 quid burger.

mazzy1026
7th Sep 2006, 08:31
Top notch 1d ! Now get out there and take your first victim flying!

How did the test go ?

Hampshire Hog
7th Sep 2006, 10:36
1d2d..

Congratulations. I bet it wasn't as bad as you were expecting!

I completely failed to report my ppl pass on here. It was back on one of those incredibly hot days in July. Had a brilliant NAV section in the morning, followed by a general handling session during which I entered a spiral dive from my first attempt at a steep turn and nearly exceeded Vne on recovery:suspect:

Nonetheless, my examiner clearly thought I got enough right to pass me. The circuit work was very interesting, because it was so hot that my pa28 was practically scraping the trees at the end of Wycombe's runway, during the touch and goes.

I have taken two victims flying so far - a friend who had flown quite a lot before, followed by my father in law, who was pretty nervous.

My wife wants a trip next week - but she's always really calm, so should be fun.

I think it's really important to select your first passenger post qualification carefully. You will be a little tense yourself (all that new responsibility) and the last thing you want is to get distracted having to calm someone down. If you can, I would really recommend choosing someone who is comfortable flying in small aircraft and knows what to expect.

Mazzy, sorry to hear about your dad. My dad passed away long before I took up flying, which was a shame because he was in aviation himself. He worked on the Comet testing programme and Concorde development at Farnborough.

Happy flying everyone.

HH

mazzy1026
7th Sep 2006, 11:53
Thanks HH - I am sure these things are either punishment, or something that is sent to test us - perhaps a bit of both!

Cheers,

Lee ;)

1d2d3d4d
7th Sep 2006, 18:47
Thanks all

Mazzy I reported on my GFT a page back. Got an aircraft booked for Sunday morning for my first flight as PIC on my own license, Wx permitting, but the forecast is pretty good so far.

Regards Chris

mazzy1026
8th Sep 2006, 08:07
:\

Sorry 1d - slip of the mind there!

I always find that a great part of the flight is when after you have landed, and you disembark the spamcan, and just take a step back and reflect on what you have just done!

Enjoy!

mazzy1026
20th Nov 2006, 15:06
Bet you got a shock then when you got the email telling you about a new post in here ;)

The reason I am re-incarnating this thread temporarily, is because I am about to host this diary on a site of my own.

I have thought of a lot of ways of doing this, and have come up with a few ideas. Originally I was going to display all of the diary posts of my own, I.E those which documented all my flying. However, I thought it would make more interesting reading, if I simply posted everything by everyone.

So - would anyone object to me doing this? It will show your usernames....

BRL - any objections from you or the powers that be?

How are we all doing? Feel's like years ago since I last posted here :ooh:

1d2d3d4d
20th Nov 2006, 18:43
No problem with me Mazzy. What are you up to now? Keep us posted.

I have not flown for over 10 weeks because of knee surgery. I've only flown twice since my skills test:{ . Still I've got a check out tommorrow so should up up and away from now on.

Regards Chris

mazzy1026
20th Nov 2006, 18:50
Cheers Chris :ok:

Well what a year it has been! Lots of good and plenty of bad!

I now work in Deeside - North Wales (yehaa) in a Pharmaceutical firm (Every time I meet another pilot they are never surprised I work in IT :rolleyes: )

So far, I am averaging an hour a month, which I am happy with considering I bought the house in May. It is just a money eating machine! It is difficult keeping up the hours, but all the more enjoyable when you do fly. Hope your doing ok with the knee recovery...

Hope you are all well,

Lister Noble
21st Nov 2006, 18:13
Hi Mazzy,good to hear from you and no probs at all with me and your proposed website.
Re - flying I now have approx 85 hours total including 28 hrs solo in PA28-180 and Piper Cubs.
I'm averaging around 1 hour per week in the WW2 Piper Cub of which I have a very small share!
Mostly local flights around East Anglia but it really is great fun and well worth all the stress,hassle and expense of getting there.;)

Best wishes ,good luck in the new job and keep us posted

Blinkz
21st Nov 2006, 18:41
lo mazzy,
no problems here either. For those that care, I'm just getting towards the end of my commercial training, got just over 200hrs now, currently 2-3weeks away from the IRT :yuk: Passed my CPL test in September so am now offically a commercial pilot :ok: Hope your all good and enjoying your flying!

1d2d3d4d
21st Nov 2006, 19:16
Hi All

Checked out by AME so my medical is revalidated and had a club currency check today which was ok so I can now go flying again:p

Chris

i.dingbat
22nd Nov 2006, 00:22
Mazzy

I was a lurker and possibly rare contributor to your thread, but I really enjoyed it. I've put all my own lessons on a public website, which is actually pretty bold as the domain name is my name (those were more innocent days). According to the pprune forum rules I'm not allowed to use my real name here, so I guess that means I can't post a link to my site :confused: .

I have nearly 40 hours, but stalled somewhat after a runway excursion landing after my first area solo (blooming tailwheelers).

Vey interested in Lister flying around in a Cub, as on Flight Sim I find the Cub harder to handle than the Citabria I use.

Actually I'll be back in Blighty in a couple of weeks (mainly Scotland). What's the weather lilke for flying in the middle of winter? I might just try a 172 out of Cumbernauld or somewhere for perspective and to remind me what I'm missing. And at least it won't try to swap ends on me :bored: .

Let me know when your diary shows up. If anyone wants a laugh at mine they can pm me.

mazzy1026
22nd Nov 2006, 07:11
Good to see you guys doing well - Lister, I am very jealous of your achievements, I would give my left arm for a decent share like that at Liverpool! There are one or two, but training is the problem (I.e. Chipmunk). If the Citabria ever comes back to Liverpool, then I am right in there!

Chris - feels like years since I saw "Blinkz" on here - glad the training is going well, and don't forget my jump-seat ride when you reach the top :ok:

Ding - I haven't seen such a ruling that doesn't allow you to post your own name! Send me the link to your diary and I will check it out...

As far as my online version goes, I have spent what seems like an eternity, organising and sorting out the diary. When I eventually get round to generating this site, there may well be a facility for you all to put your own up there - watch this space .....

Cheers

P.S. I was gonna give a few insults to Neil (DiscoChocolate) to once again see if he is still lurking about in here - Chris - if you chat to him, please pass on my good compliments :p

MyData
22nd Nov 2006, 07:42
Mazzy

I've no problem with my contributions going on your diary. You might just want to get confirmation from the PPRuNe powers that be that you can effectively lift and drop content from this site to yours.

My diaries are also on-line (a search for my PPRuNe name will find the site), the PPL one is complete but now I'm doing IMC and PPL(H) which is keeping me busy as the posted diaries need to be tidied up and edited.

Went for a 'short' flight from Sheffield to Hucknall at the weekend, but the long way - tracking VOR radials across South Yorkshire / Derbs / Notts. And a land away at a small grass field - great fun! I've around 75 hrs now and 8 on rotaries. Slowly but surely making progress with no great rush.

Whirlybird
22nd Nov 2006, 08:15
MyData,
I enjoyed reading your PPL(H) diary. ;)

mazzy1026
22nd Nov 2006, 09:01
Hiya Helen ;)

Data - I must be in the wrong job - what have you done in life to be able to afford all that :confused: :ok:

MyData
22nd Nov 2006, 09:32
Whirlybird - glad you liked the diary - I really do need to tidy it up now that I know you are reading!

Mazzy - same line of work as you, but with a few more years behind me :(

LysanderV8
22nd Nov 2006, 11:31
Hi Mazzy

Feel free to use whatever I have posted. I have not made it up to Speke yet, but will soon I hope. I'm up to 146 hours TT now and bought an old aeroplane in August. It's a 1967 PA-28, but it does have a rather nice 6 cylinder 235hp donkey. Tis a bit thirsty though at 48l/hr leaned, but hey. Done 25 hours in it since August.

Pure luck that it came up for sale at Shoreham, my home airfield, and with a place in the hangar. The previous owner had just finished building a Europa and so didn't need the PA-28. He still flies it occasionally as do the other two guys who rented it before, so it helps with the fixed costs.

I have not started my IMC rating yet due to lack of time, but did venture across the Channel for the first time last Saturday. Went to Le Touquet via Lydd and Cap Gris-Nez. Loveley weather going out at FL55, with a bit of rain over Boulogne, but nothing much. Decided to return direct from Le Touquet to Seaford and ended up dodging about between rain clouds at 3,000ft, but no real issue. We couldn't make a full day of it, of course, because of the light, but it's another box ticked :)

Good wishes to one and all

Lysander

BRL
22nd Nov 2006, 14:45
Hi Mazzy. Thumbs up from here regarding lifting the thread but you will need permission from all who have contributed, that is the difficult part!

The rest of you who have other sites, you can link to them in your profile so when someone clicks on your name, they can click on the weblink there. :)

Wibblemonster
22nd Nov 2006, 14:53
just thought i'd say Hi and introduce myself, I'm currently at around 13 hours on my PPL course and am doing circuits in a PA28 -160 at Newcastle airport.

I've only just started reading this thread today and i have to say its excellent, its really helped me to see I'm not the only one making mistakes and of course get things right!

A big congratulations to all who have passed their PPL's - I hope to one soon! :D

cheers

Craig

Whirlybird
22nd Nov 2006, 15:39
MyData,

Please don't worry, I only skimmed it, and probably won't have time to do much more than that. And I certainly won't have my critical instructor's hat on when I read it, I promise!!! ;) :)

Chequeredflag
22nd Nov 2006, 16:47
Hi everyone, it's been months since I posted on here, and I'm pleased to see the Mazzy thread is still going strong. Firstly Lee, I'm so sorry to hear of your fathers passing - it's something we all have to face at some time, and I know what you are going through.
I hope you get your flying activities up and running again soon. I too have not spent too much time in the air since achieving ppl, averaging only about an hour a month, simply following my Garmin 296 around the Midlands. As such, I was falling into the trap of just flying to stay current, which is easy to do, so decided I needed to do something to get motivated again. Hence I've embarked on the IMC course, again out of East Midlands.
Guy's, I can thoroughly recommend the IMC course, it's absolutely fantastic!
I've had just three hours to date, flying on instruments alone and navigating by way of VOR's/DME, The best bit so far? Two full ILS approaches into East Mids in rain and poor light/viz. What an experience, I felt like a Boeing pilot!! I was allowed to look up, only at decision height. It took a few seconds for my eyes to settle to the outside world again.
I have found that the many hours I've spent on FS2004 doing blind approaches in virtually zero viz has given a tremendous grounding and understanding to instrument flying.
I have found it really sharpens up your flying - you HAVE to maintain steady height and direction, though with constant scanning, it's actually easier than when flying VFR. The first 30 seconds after entering cloud is quite strange, almost claustrophobic, and it is of course 100% essential you believe your instruments, no matter what your body senses are telling you. To date, I've had no attack of the leans, though it's probably only a matter of time!!
I can thoroughly recommend this course - it's exhilerating and great fun, but I do find at my age, I'm pretty tired after an hour of staring at instruments alone.
I was due up today for my third lesson, but my instructor was off with family problem, but I'm up again next week, so I'll update you. He reckons I should be ready at the minimum 15 hour stage - hope so, to keep the costs down.
Once again, I cannot recommend the IMC course enough - It's worth having a go!!

MyData
22nd Nov 2006, 17:21
Chequered - I'd concur 100% with what you say about the IMC. I've had around 10 hours now and it is such a good way to consolidate the PPL experience.

Doing ILS approaches is very rewarding - I use Doncaster rather than East Midlands and have been fortunate enough to have some of my lessons in real IMC conditions where focussing on the instrument scan is vital (I have veered off the straight and narrow a few times - it is so easy to do!).

I had the leans just the once. On about my third or fourth hour. We were in contact with East Midlands and heard the Emergency Response Helicopter crew return to base due to poor viz. I was being tossed about, in cloud, no reference to the ground and not feeling so great - then the leans kicked in. Quite unsettling!

Whirlybird - No problem, once it is tidy and more complete you can read at your leisure. :-)

kevmusic
22nd Nov 2006, 17:54
'Scuse my ignorance - what the hell are 'the leans'? :confused:

Kev.

mazzy1026
22nd Nov 2006, 18:53
Cheers BRL - I think for now I will do just mine, then perhaps a link where it will be possible to download the 'lot'! And you still owe me that pint ;)

Craig - I am shocked. A new member to my diary, not had that for a very long time! Thanks for posting, glad you enjoyed the reading - feel free to let us know how you get on - you can be in the 'New Breed' :ok:

Cheq/Data - Very tempted to sign up for the course having read what you have said (stop getting me to spend more money on training!). Thanks for that, sounds excellent....thanks for the kind words also Cheq...

Kev - from what I understand, the leans is when your body tells you that the aircraft is doing one thing, when in fact it is actually doing another. Think of VFR flying, when you look out the window, your brain and your vision will match, as you can see out the window. However, when your in cloud, you don't have the vision to rely on and MUST trust your instruments. I have never experienced this myself, but try putting your head down and staring at the floor in a moving car (not while your driving of course :uhoh: )

Cheers all - good to be back :ok:

kookabat
22nd Nov 2006, 20:54
And a big thumbs up from me for using my posts on another site.

Miraz
22nd Nov 2006, 22:23
another delurk....just fnished reading this thread with much interest

am currently about eight hours into my ab initio training and it is nice to have been able to gain some insight into the road ahead...

I am splitting my training between two flying schools - in melbourne and sydney as my current work commitments keep me split between the two cities - I have been managing to squeeze a couple of hours a week in the evenings after work.

mazzy1026
23rd Nov 2006, 07:28
Shemy/Miraz - welcome :cool:

Shemy - drop me a line next time your down, I will nip over to Ravenair ;)

Miraz - Kookabat is the guy to talk to about flying in Australia :ok:

Miraz
23rd Nov 2006, 10:07
Thanks - I've been reading his postings, I am sure you don't want another bitching session about the glacial state of CASA's licensing process....been waiting over a month for my student license, security check, etc to go through - current estimate is another 6-7 weeks.

I have another round of circuits booked for tomorrow afternoon down in Melbourne...nice way to spend a Friday evening.

I used to fly Gliders in the UK many years ago, which is helping immensely with the basic handling training...it is interesting learning to fly repeatable manouvres by the numbers, and adopting a different mind set about flying the a/c. I have discovered that a sharp intake of breath from the RHS on final approach means that I have judged my flare for a glider with no undercarriage. :-)

oscarmike
23rd Nov 2006, 16:09
Kev - from what I understand, the leans is when your body tells you that the aircraft is doing one thing, when in fact it is actually doing another. Think of VFR flying, when you look out the window, your brain and your vision will match, as you can see out the window. However, when your in cloud, you don't have the vision to rely on and MUST trust your instruments.

Correct! I experienced this during my IMC course, and I think most people do.

All your built in sensors (middle ear etc) with no visual references will tell you that the aircraft is banked left or right (most commonly) or even climbing or descending (less common) but your instruments tell you different!

You HAVE to trust the instruments, and sometimes it ain't easy!

Good luck with the IMC course anyway! :ok:

MyData
23rd Nov 2006, 18:07
You HAVE to trust the instruments, and sometimes it ain't easy!

Do this is cloud - total visual sensory deprivation from the outside world. No cues of up / down or straight / level...

Ears and stomach say: "We are turning left, make a correction to maintain heading"

Eyes: "No, we are straight, and level"

E+S: "No, can't be, I can feel it, put some right stick in"

Eyes: "No, look, the heading bug isn't moving"

Cue battle of the senses, until the newbie VFR PPL makes the common sense judgement and turns the aircraft to the right.

E+S: "There - thats better we are flying straight and level now"

Eyes: "Oh no we're not, look we are turning"

E+S: "We can't be turning, this 'feels' nice and straight, I'm not leaning due to turning forces anymore"

Eyes: "Look, there, look, we *ARE* turning, the AI says so, the HSI says so, the compass says so"

E+S: "Mmm.. you may have a point there..."

Another battle of the senses, IMC student takes over and turns the aircraft to the left to align the instruments. Maintain the instrument scan. Everything is OK again.

E+S: "Woah! Don't like this, we are turning again, look, I'm even leaning over to counter the forces"

Eyes: "Aw, just shut up and look at the instruments"

And so the battle continues... all the while the instructor is probably having a quiet chuckle.

But it does get tiresome and confusing. And it is so easy to get out of line if you don't maintain that instrument scan all the time! Even short actions such as radio changes and VOR idents etc. can throw everything off course.

kookabat
23rd Nov 2006, 21:43
I've been reading his postings, I am sure you don't want another bitching session about the glacial state of CASA's licensing process....

Awww geees I'm not THAT cynical am I???? :O :O :* :E

See what bringing the thread back to the top will do... suddenly we get all the Prooners who joined since it was last 'in swing', so to speak, de-lurking. Good stuff!!

Meanwhile, I'm off to watch the Ashes :D :E

mazzy1026
24th Nov 2006, 09:43
Data - excellent description there - I like it ;)

Kook - now you would go and mention the Ashes! :ouch:

kookabat
25th Nov 2006, 13:40
:E :E :E :E :E

Yep, I would... and DID!!! :ok:

Chequeredflag
25th Nov 2006, 14:56
Do this is cloud - total visual sensory deprivation from the outside world. No cues of up / down or straight / level...
One of the things I had to do was hand over control to the instructor, then close my eyes, whilst he put the plane through a series of turns, climbs and descents (in cloud), all done in a relatively gentle fashion. I had to describe to him what these manoeuvres were as they happened eg "we're turning left now" "Now we are climbing" etc. When he had finished, I was convinced that we were flying straight and level, but when I opened my eyes in order to recover the aircraft, I was amazed to find we were in a descending left turn!!
Another time (again in cloud) I had to close my eyes whilst he put the plane through a series of more aggressive manoeuvres, to simulate bad turbulence in cloud (which can be disorientating), finishing by putting the plane in a steepish descending right turn, which I had to suss out and correct into straight and level flight, with only reference to instruments.
Aas I said before, all great fun but damned tiring!!

Wibblemonster
26th Nov 2006, 12:56
well the weather has been awful in the North East recently (well on the days I'm booked to fly any way! :E)

I managed to get a lesson on Thursday but the wind was horrendus, ATIS and ATC was saying 15kts but my instructor reckoned it was more like 22kts!

anyway, up we went and my god was it bumpy.. we flew up to the training grounds north of Morpeth for some PFL's - this is the first time I'd done PFL's, (it was too windy for circuits) I managed to pull off one decent one but unfortunately there was a lot of military activity going on & it was decided what we head home. Landing was very interesting to say the least. I knew the crosswind was going to be bad but it still didn't prepare me for how much rudder and opposite alieron was needed, suffice to say I cocked it up! I really need to get these crosswind landings nailed.. :{

kookabat
26th Nov 2006, 23:41
Hello Miraz,
We're planning on going to the "air museum a couple of hours away which is having a flying day" this weekend as well... look out for us!

Check your PMs...

K

mazzy1026
27th Nov 2006, 09:07
Good stuff guys - all this IMC chat is making me want to start the course :ugh:

What a glorious day on Sunday in the North West - went down the Welsh Coast with a friends (and yes it was actually the first time I have ever done this! (people who fly from Liverpool know that route all too well:p ))

I have to say it was one of the best flying days I have had - not a cloud in sight. Crosswind was there, but made all for a challenging landing - my friend loved it.

Here's a question for you - I don't know about you but I am the type of person that loves to pass on knowledge, so every time I take someone, I find that I want to teach them something, so they have gained a lot more than just fun sight-seeing. Is anyone else like this?

Cheers
Maz :cool:

And to top it off, went straight to the model flying club, to get some flying in of a different kind!

kookabat
3rd Dec 2006, 05:24
Dammit!!!
Weather was crappy, as expected, and our 'back-up' IFR lift failed to show... so never got to that air museum out west. So I went and did my first hour in a taildragger instead - and (sadly for the bank balance) I might just be hooked... :ugh:

PompeyPaul
3rd Dec 2006, 19:53
Could an admin pull out the hours lessons and post them in one locked thread ? It's very interesting, but 83 pages to get to the hour lessons is really slow.

NT42
3rd Dec 2006, 20:04
Hello all,

Apologies for the lack of posting!

I'll skip to where I am - haven't flown since mid Sept :{ but have the GST booked mid Dec!!

I'm at university at the moment, so haven't had much time to fly. With a bit of luck though, I'll get the ticket. Had one test cancelled already, so fingers crossed for the second.

I'm slightly worried about the lack of currency, but I'm going up with my FI (who happens to be CFI) and doing some revision!

Fingers crossed and best wishes to all!!

BRL
3rd Dec 2006, 22:32
Could an admin pull out the hours lessons and post them in one locked thread ? It's very interesting, but 83 pages to get to the hour lessons is really slow.
That would take some time to do. Remember this site is run in our own time, it would take ages to do something like that. I do believe Mazzy has done something like that anyway for his website-to-be.

Mazzy, please check your PM's dude... :)

mazzy1026
4th Dec 2006, 08:05
Yes I have a test site up and running now, and as soon as I get a few issues sorted and the domain name registered, it's all yours!

JWF - good luck on the test, it seems like ages since we last chatted and I completely lost track of your progress. Don't forget the full write-up at the end!

Cheers

i.dingbat
4th Dec 2006, 12:51
Kookabat

Well done! Did you go to Curtis? I presume you flew one of the Citabrias - they're responsive aren't they?

Cheers

Dingbat

kookabat
4th Dec 2006, 21:57
G'day Mr Dingbat,
Certainly did - MWY all the way!! We were sitting at Curtis waiting for either that IFR 'back-up plan' to arrive or the weather to lift and neither happened (was intending to take Cherokee LJL to Temora) so I figured, there's an instructor - there's an aeroplane - why not!

Quick thoughts from an hour in the circuit in a Citabria:
-Power to weight is much higher than the Cherokee... this thing can scream along if you want it to - and it's very easy to let it creep a couple of hundred feet high without realising...
-Following numerous 172s and Jabirus, that are flying ridiculously large circuits, around is easy if you slow her riiiiiiight down.... 50kt on downwwind, anyone??:D
-Roll is particularly heavy but you're right about the control responsiveness, the 'dead spot' you get in the middle of a Cherokee's controls is not there!!
-Rudder!! Rudder!! Rudder!!! KEEP IT STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ugh: It'll take a bit of getting used to for a dyed-in-the-wool Cherokee driver like myself.
-Doing everything with 'the wrong hand' will also take some getting used to I think.

All in all though, awesome fun and yep, I'll be back for some more once I have a few dollars to spare.

Kookabat

Miraz
4th Dec 2006, 22:05
I had to abandon my trip too....cloud base being lower than the mountains does not make for good VFR conditions.

So ended up flying more circuits at Bankstown in the Warrior for the afternoon - seemed to go reasonably well...not what I would describe as pretty though.

I am going to be in Europe and the US for most of Jan, so I am going to try again for the Feb flying day at Temora.

mazzy1026
5th Dec 2006, 09:09
Flight cancellations are all too common on this student thread :{ :p

kookabat
5th Dec 2006, 11:54
That's right Mr Miraz - and they looked like pretty good circuits from where we were standing - flapless too!! ;)

Roll on February!

Wibblemonster
6th Dec 2006, 08:30
why is the weather is great today when i'm stuck in work? :( it's been awful the last couple of times I've had lessons booked. I'm desperate to get the circuit cracked, hopefully the weather will be good this weekend.. :ugh: :E

I'm trying to use the lesson time for exam study if its cancelled, hopefully this will mean I'll be ready for the airlaw exam by the weekend...

Chequeredflag
16th Dec 2006, 16:18
To bring this thread back on to the front page!!
I did my third IMC lesson today. The winds were pretty bad, and the turbulance was, well, "sporty" as my instructor put it! We left East Mids with worsening conditions forecast, (Prob30 3000 in RADZ PROB30 BKN700), and headed South, initially VFR with a Sierra Whiskey zone departure. I then spent an hour flying near Leicester with a partial panel, navigating here, there and everywhere using the compass, turn co-ordinator, rate 1 turns, and stopwatch only. It really works, and is a confidence booster (and possible life saver) if heaven forbid, you ever lose suction, and as a consequence, HI and AI).
It was not easy in the bumpy conditions, which had the compass dancing round all over the place, and for sure it was not easy to achieve an accurate heading within 5 degrees of that required. Fine adjustments at 3 degrees/second thereafter, getting us onto the heading required.
The weather really closed in for our return, which was in cloud most of the way (and at 16.00, really dark too!) so we asked for (and got, from the ever helpful controllers at E.Mids) vectors for an ILS approach. We joined on a 12 mile final at 3000' (QNH), and boy was it rough (my instructor wrote "extreme X-Wind" in the notes afterwards)!!
Keeping on the localiser in such conditions took immense concentration, with the plane crabbing some 20/30 degrees off runway heading (27), and bouncing around really badly (worst I've ever known it).
The ILS approach is made considerably faster than the normal 70 knots (we were doing 105 knots), so I had to dump a lot of speed for crossing the threshold.
The landing was OK too, though the instructor "nudged" me for a bit more 'into wind' aileron in the flare, and all this in view of an Easyjet airbus' plane load of passengers at the hold! Hope I didn't frighten them too much before their flight!! To the non-savvy eye, it may well look as if we were about to crash!!!
These ATC Vectors and ILS approaches (especially in such conditions) are frankley the best fun I've ever had flying since my GST. I was absolutely knackered when I got back home, but I am REALLY loving every minute of it.
RECOMMENDED!!

Lister Noble
16th Dec 2006, 18:02
Chequered Flag,
Brilliant write up,I was there along with you.
I've gone along the vintage taildragger route,no amazing trips,mostly local within East Anglia but some pretty amazing landings!!!!
Anyway at least we are using our new licences to the full, whatever the new found route or discipline.
Happy Christmas/Holidays all 0-45 thread readers.

mazzy1026
19th Dec 2006, 09:23
Great posts thanks :ok:

I haven't had a chance to catch up on prune - am in Altrincham on a C# course at the moment (boring I hear you say!). I am booked in on New Years Eve to take my 10 year old brother flying for the first time - he's getting the bug and reminds me of me when I was that age - he is gonna love it!

Have a great Christmas and New Year all...

Bes wishes

NT42
23rd Dec 2006, 17:40
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, many apologies! Hope everyone is well! It's also been a long time since I've been flying, but luckily I've managed to get 2 flights in over the last few days. For the benifit of those who haven't seen or don't read flyer, here's an account of yesterdays flight:

I hadn’t flown in three months due to university, so desperately needed to get flying. After about 5 cancelled lessons I wasn’t holding much hope for joining the class of 2006. Luckily though, weather was good enough on Thursday to get flying, and I did just that.

Had a lovely revision flight with my instructor, and all went to plan just about! I rang my examiner that night (whilst Christmas shopping :mad:) and we were set to go, if the weather held out.

Woke up at 0830 and saw the weather – it was to be cloudy and not too nice. Spoke once again with the examiner and decided to go for it anyway, if worst came to worst we’d just do the skills section.

I had my route to plot, and had it all sorted. Once I got to the club I went straight to check the weather and wind forecasts – variable. Not the best I’d hoped for, but never mind.

I met my examiner, a very nice chap, we chatted about weather, maps and all sorts of wonderful things. Weather wasn’t brilliant, but “sod it”, we’d waited long enough.

Took off, left Newcastle’s zone and routed pretty much to the North. ¼ and ½ way points on the leg looked excellent. I actually remembered my FREDA checks for once and I was beginning to relax, which was greatly helped by the superb attitude of my examiner.

I arrived at my point a minute before I’d expected (terrible planning, eh). Unfortunately the cloud was becoming a nuisance, and I pointed out that had I in fact been solo, I probably wouldn’t have continued. We decided to carry on as we both felt safe though.

15 or 20 miles into the next leg I was told to divert. Quick moment of madness trying to find a pen that actually worked on my chart (good timing as ever), eventually scribbled a line on it and got an ETA. Off we went towards the coast, dodging a glider and a GVS. About half way in it as decided that my work load wasn’t high enough and I needed to fix our position using 2 VORs. Fair enough, I duly did so being very careful to get the right ones! Got my fix spot on(ish), and a few minutes later I saw where I was supposed to be heading . . . but I wasn’t heading towards it. Grr quick correction and we were fine though.

Got there and it was time for a 180 in “IMC”. No real troubles there except I couldn’t get my watch from under my jumper arm, so scrambled a bit but managed to get it accurate enough.

So, that was the end of navigation. Luckily the weather was good enough and I was quite chuffed to get it out the way!

“Time for a PLF” so says my examiner, and he pulls the plug. No problems really until it was decided that I needed an engine failure on go around too! Nose straight down and a nice field straight ahead to land in.

After a scaring a few cows like that it was decided we’d climb to 4000 and do some stalls. Eek, I do not like stalls – never have. Not because of what they are, but the recovery always seems so rushed! But anyway, I have to do them, so I just went for it. Unfortunately I went for it without doing the checks, which I was promptly reminded to do! Clean configuration was fine. Base turn not quite so good but I got away with it. With approach configuration I managed alright too.

Next we did a steep gliding turn, no worries there. And then a recovery from a spiral dive – fun! I’ve always loved these, not quite sure why but this was no exception and it was fine.

It was now apparently time to head back to Newcastle, “what, already?”. Examiner asked if he had forgotten to test me on anything . . . Steep turns! So we climbed back up to 4000 and did them. Good job I’m honest! To be fair though, I really like steep turns and I thought I handled them quite well.

Now it really was time to go back to the airfield. Slight obstacle in that there was some low cloud, but we skirted underneath it. Only consequence of the cloud was that we did bad weather circuits. After asking nice Mr ATCO for three circuits, we were rather rapidly on finals for only my second time in 3 months :sad:, and my landing certainly wasn’t the best in the world. Ditto the second. And ditto the last. But they were safe – that’s all that matters, right?

And that was it, “well that’s a pass” from my examiner and one happy smile on my face! Got an obligatory picture with the aeroplane and my FI / examiner and then attempted to tackle the paperwork.

Apologies for the length, but it’ll be nice for me reading this one day too! All in all I had an excellent flight, flew reasonably well and really enjoyed it.

As you can imagine, I'm a rather happy John at the moment!

Just a quick thank you to all who have posted on here. Especially Mazzy, this thread has often given me the motivation to carry on when it "just wouldn't click". And I've learned a lot through it, too.

Cheers everyone, hope to see you all sometime!

Merry Christmas to all, and I hope you all have a great new year full of happy (and safe) flying! :ok:

JWF.

Chequeredflag
23rd Dec 2006, 20:01
John,
Many, many congratulations - a great Xmas present. You were lucky to have avoided all the recent fog. A very enjoyable write up too. It'll take a few days to sink in, but it's a GREAT feeling innit!! Have a few beers over Xmas (and I'll have several for you too).

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Dec 2006, 20:04
I was told to divert. Quick moment of madness trying to find a pen that actually worked on my chart (good timing as ever), eventually scribbled a line on it

Yeah, bit of an artificial exercise, that, with the instructor/examiner doing the flying whilst you mess around with pens and maps and stuff.

In real life you may have to do it in your head, you won't always have a passenger who can do straight-and-level whilst you use your hands for other things like drawing lines.

(Last real life diversion I had, I did have a passenger but it was a foreign schoolgirl with limited English and it never occured to me to get her to do the flying. I just glanced at the map and guessed. Yeah, maybe the navaids would have helped ... except that nothing much was working on that aircraft that day, just the DME IIRC.)

Blinkz
23rd Dec 2006, 20:51
Congrats John, great job. Welcome to the club!

Yeah, bit of an artificial exercise, that, with the instructor/examiner doing the flying whilst you mess around with pens and maps and stuff.
In real life you may have to do it in your head, you won't always have a passenger who can do straight-and-level whilst you use your hands for other things like drawing lines.
(Last real life diversion I had, I did have a passenger but it was a foreign schoolgirl with limited English and it never occured to me to get her to do the flying. I just glanced at the map and guessed. Yeah, maybe the navaids would have helped ... except that nothing much was working on that aircraft that day, just the DME IIRC.)

hmmm you must have had a nice examiner! In both my PPL and CPL I've had to do the calculations whilst flying the aircraft!! I just put it in a orbit and do some hasty sums, more guesstimates then anything else. Once I have the initial heading I set off, the rest of it you can work out on the way. Happy christmas everyone! Hope the weather improves for some winter flying. I passed my 170a last week and will be sitting my IR early january, wish me luck! :sad:

Whirlybird
24th Dec 2006, 06:57

A VERY nice examiner! As I understand it, you can ask the examiner to draw a line for you, having told him/her exactly where you want it drawn. This is in a helicopter, anyway. Everything else, you do yourself. That's reasonable; in real life, you'd either have a passenger who could draw a line, or you'd have an empty seat with all the stuff on it, so it'd be slightly easier to do it yourself. But once you've drawn your line, you estimate headings, times etc. Nobody should be doing the flying for you.

It's tough, which is why in real life I like flying with another pilot if possible. :ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Dec 2006, 09:28
Aor you'd have an empty seat
Ah yes, I've used that line with an instructor on a test: "Can you just do this for me please, if you weren't sitting there I'd be able to do it myself because I'd have the gear ready on your seat".

1d2d3d4d
24th Dec 2006, 13:24
JWF Well done indeed. Welcome to the class of 2006! The grin should last well into the new year. Merry Christmas everyone.

Chris

mazzy1026
24th Dec 2006, 20:24
John my friend - very well done, I am made up for you. A superb post too, thanks :ok: As others have said, the good feeling lasts a lifetime, and is boosted even more when you take your first passenger. It is then that you will feel a real sense of responsibility and realise that all those hours you spent training were worthwhile - you won't have you instructor with you any more ;)

In my test, the instructor done the handling whilst I calculated the route. I suppose however, if he see's that you can put the aircraft in a decent trim, and have relatively relaxed flying, then I suppose you could do the same should you be on your own. Interesting debate though - I do see both sides...

Well, very best wishes to you all - I have seen this thread close a few times and am always made up to see people posting once again. Suppose when you've spent about 2 years of your life doing something, you kind of miss it when it goes (but that's the stella talking) :p

Take care everyone,

NT42
28th Dec 2006, 16:40
Many thanks everyone, it's much appreciated! And certainly very nice to join the club - even if I'm yet to be given the licence from the money grabbers. . . .

As for the diversion - examiner took control. I asked him whether he would or not, and didn't seem to mind either way. However I agree, it's not totally realistic. I've had to divert solo two time (albeit not over massive distance). A scribble on the chart and basic heading did me. I had near to full tanks so didn't need to make any decisions fuel wise. Once on route I started thinking about how long it might take.

So, what's next? At the moment I'm going to build as much P1 time as possible - I'm determined to go on long(ish) trips. I'm very much hoping to go commercial in the very near future (OAT if I'm lucky), but money is a problem. So for now I'm just going to enjoy the PPL!

Anyway, thanks again everyone, hope to see you sometime!!

Wibblemonster
28th Dec 2006, 19:52
well done John, I;m looking forward to flying with you in the very near future!

NT42
28th Dec 2006, 23:47
well done John, I;m looking forward to flying with you in the very near future!

Likewise!

And many thanks. Won't be long until we're congratulating you on a flying milestone I feel!

GonTek
1st Jan 2007, 16:55
Well done John. All over at last !!!! :D

Give me a shout if you want to share a flight.

Regards one and all

Safe flying in the new year :ok:

Flygirl_
2nd Jan 2007, 10:28
Hi all, I'm a new pruner!

The site was reccommended by a trainee pilot where I'll be flying (Biggin Hill) - been reading the threads from those keeping diaries and expressing their experiences whilst doing their ppl and its been a treat to read to see what's in store for me!! Really helpful to know it wont all be plain sailing! And it's great to know experienced pilots are ready to give advice...

Perhaps you'll be hearing from me as I embark on my ppl over the next few months... :)

Cheers

mazzy1026
2nd Jan 2007, 10:35
Hi Flygirl - welcome to pprune, and welcome to this thread! There's a good bunch of peope on here (apart from Neil :E ) who are glad to help!

Let us know how you get on and enjoy the training ;)

christimson
4th Jan 2007, 10:50
Hi,
Great thread, very enthralling.

I'm about to start my PPL out of Sherburn. Just had my 40th birthday so I'm ready for a long challenge.

I've had a lifelong facination for all things that fly. I've been wasting my time flying model aircraft (fixed wing and helis) for the last 10 years so it's about time I threw the toys away.

Anyway I've nearly completed reading the 'Flight Training Book -1' so I can't wait to get up in the air next saturday.

mazzy1026
4th Jan 2007, 11:47
Chris - welcome :ok:

Just one thing on your reading - use your flying training book as you go along, you will find it much better that way. For example, the night before you do the steep turning lesson with your instructor, read the steep turn chapter. That way, you won't get caught up with other parts of the syllabus and worry about them etc. Best to start looking at Air Law (I specifically never used the words "get it out the way" :ouch: ) as a lot of school's will require you to have passed this exam before your solo - also, it will get easier as you start to relate the theory to what your'e doing in the air etc...

Oh and don't throw your model plane's away - if you have any gear you don't want I will buy it from you :ok:

christimson
4th Jan 2007, 12:45
Thanks for the advice Mazzy.

Model aircraft can be great fun but unfortunately I don't have much time for it as my 3 year old daughter and 4 month old son demand alot of my spare time and I have other interests as well.

It's all about weighing things up and deciding what to do. I love flying things and motor racing. When things are on a budget you have to decide what you will get the most out of. Learning to fly is something I've always wanted to do so why wait any longer?

I'm beginning to think that life is too short to do everything.

mazzy1026
4th Jan 2007, 13:51
I'm beginning to think that life is too short to do everything.
Chris I'm 24 years old and I have already learned that in a big way.

I once wrote a thread on pprune a few years back, asking for advice as to whether to begin lessons and pay or save up first blah blah rubbish......

Someone said to me - LISTEN go do it now - if you don't start you never will. And here I am now.

Go learn to fly - you'll never look back (unless your keeping centerline) :E

1d2d3d4d
21st Jan 2007, 21:01
Hi all,

Another milestone today, my first non-flying passenger.

I took my young sister (well young to me!) for a local bimble. The idea was to fly from Wellesbourne over Worcester check out the Malvern hills and back again.

The take off from runway 23 was fine and the trip towards Worcester was reasonably smooth at 2500'. However the closer we got to Worcester the bumpier it got. The Malvern hills are up to 1350' and due west of us and with 2000' winds at 280/30 we were appraoching the ripples of the mountain wave effect from the hills. We aborted the Malverns and just did a couple of orbits of home then headed back. An uneventful circuit with a nice landing with just a touch of cross wind and one very happy sis.

Chris

NT42
21st Jan 2007, 21:16
Sounds great, and a good, quick PIC decision too, by the sounds of it!

I'm hoping to take my first passenger up soon too - my "other half" will be the victim. And then my granda (who flew a bit at my age (20sish) but never has since, in small AC).

I'm really looking forward to it!

Glad you enjoyed your flight!

Hampshire Hog
22nd Jan 2007, 15:40
I'm sure I posted something to this effect on here before, but I'll mention it again. It's worth selecting your first non-flying passenger very carefully. Taking a loved one, or someone you want to impress, can put quite a lot more pressure on, when suddenly you're the commander with real responsibility and things are not necessarily going to plan.

It's worth re-reading the human factors stuff on flying with passengers and what to look out for in terms of their wellbeing. Also, make clear right from the start that you may - for a number of reasons - need to abandon the flight or plan. That reduces the pressure of disappointing someone.

I actually took a really calm friend who had done the odd flying lesson before and knew what to expect from a light aircraft. He was still slightly nervous at first, although that improved after my near perfect landing at our destination:D

I later took my father-in-law who is ex RAF, so had some idea too. Notwithstanding that, he was nervous as anything - something about the older generation having to put their trust in the younger - relative life roles etc. I was glad I'd taken my more relaxed friend up first!

Finally, make sure you're current and that you've flown enough recently to feel comfortable with your practical skill level. The recent weather has been so bad, I got to the point of deciding not to take any more passengers until I had flown again with an instructor (which I did today, yes!!!)

It's fun though - and a great step in the transition from student to PPL. Have safe flights all.

HH

mazzy1026
23rd Jan 2007, 09:00
Some good points here chaps!

Just a little note about flying near mountains. It was on my skill test that I discovered how dangerous it can be. With the examiner, approaching an area south of the Lake District - found that we needed near enough full power and lots of back pressure just to keep the thing level - scary at the time but didn't last very long!

I was lucky with my first passenger, in that he was very calm. I have taken up some 'hard as nails' people who just turn to putty in the air - quite funny actually :p

Cheers

NT42
23rd Jan 2007, 13:50
HH - thanks for that! I've actually started a thread on another forum, about this very subject. I've come to the conclusion that I'm happy enough with myself to take a passenger up now, providing my hour with a FI is alright. However, only in good weather and well within my limits. And the flight will be a local route - around the area which I trained in.

Just about flying near mountains - I'm very keen to go to the lake district at some point, but think I'll be going either under instruction or with someone more experience in those circumstances for that very reason - I wouldn't like to be solo in a situation which mazzy described!

Thanks all, hopefully my first passenger(s) will enjoy the flight! (As well as me!!)

bonniejack
23rd Jan 2007, 17:45
This seems like the best place to announce my solo. Not really the first as that was 30 yrs ago but a milestone still in my new attempt to reach a NPPL. Actually been ready for ages but weather or never ending commercial traffic at Newcsatle always got in the way. Beautiful flying weather day today so we went to Carlisle did about 4 touch and goes and then one on my own. Cup of tea and fly home. Just how a day off work should go. Really glad to get this hurdle behind and move a little nearer completion

NT42
23rd Jan 2007, 19:23
A fellow Newcastle..er! Excellent, and well done on the first solo in this batch of flying!

Check yer PMs!

mazzy1026
25th Jan 2007, 09:44
Gotta watch out for these Newcastle folk - they steal your cars and burgle your houses.........

(****, that's scousers innit) :p

Well done and thanks for the post - I bet your first solo was just as good as your first, first solo!

Looking at getting back into the game myself soon - gonna book in with my Instructor and get up there (ahem) :E

Wibblemonster
29th Jan 2007, 07:37
Congrats on the solo, i'm a fellow student at newcastle & i'm right on the verge of my first solo - its so close i can smell it! :E

bonniejack
29th Jan 2007, 08:48
Thanks to you all. Truth is just like the first time around the first solo I did not find that exciting. For more important in my memory was the solo circuits for an hour or so a couple of days later. It is just more fulfilling to walk to the aircraft, preflight etc. and not wait for the instructor to jump in. I sorta sat there for a while thinking when is someone going to tell me to call for taxi. I have had two solo circuit sessions now. The first brilliant in absolutley flat calm conditions. The second I scared myself a little as whilst calm when I took off between the first and second landings the wind swung right around to about 80 deg off and picked up in strength before dropping and backing for the third landing. The second landing spooked me because althougth touchdown was good and tracking nicely once the noswheel touched it started darting from side to side. I assume that as I was holding a lot of rudder in to counteract the wind the nosewheel would be cocked to one side when it touched hence the dart off towrds the edge. After that I think the weaves were me overcontrolling the pedals with fright. Just goes to show the landing ain't over until you are stopped. Left with a mixture of confusion over the incident and pride that the touchdowns had been well sorted in what was the highest crosswind I have coped with yet. Starting on navigation exercises this week.

mazzy1026
29th Jan 2007, 13:28
The second landing spooked me because althougth touchdown was good and tracking nicely once the noswheel touched it started darting from side to side.
Sounds like you were still flying a little sideways when you touched down - remember, keep the nose straight with the rudder, and then reduce drift with the wheel (cross controls). This is hard to do at first, but will come with practice (hey i'm no expert like!) :E

bonniejack
29th Jan 2007, 13:58
May be right Mazzy but at the time I was sure the drift was neutralised. Only when nose lowered did things go all exciting. It was a freaky little squall for a short while. At the time I wondered if it was wake turbulence as I landed behind a departing 737 but I made sure to be down well before his point of rotation. Anyway with such a wind the vortex even further down would have drifted off very quickly. (just been reading up on this) Of course my landings are so smooth as to be undetectable so Mazzy is probably right and I was still flying:rolleyes:

mazzy1026
29th Jan 2007, 15:14
Bonnie - could be nosewheel "shimmy" - quite a horrible vibration of the noswheel on the ground. If this is the case, try and keep the nose off the ground as long as you can, and when it is down, if this happens, keep the controls well back to take as much pressure as possible off the nose, then just use gentle braking. ;)

bonniejack
29th Jan 2007, 16:47
Now there's a thought. I have heard shimmy on one of the fleet before but can't remember which one. Whatever I will be looking for some dual when the wind is a bit sporting to make sure. Thanks for the input Mazzy. Think I better change my user name, I use this on lots of sites, its the name of two of our dogs but when abbreviated to Bonnie - well it doesn't suit a baldy old coot like me.

mazzy1026
30th Jan 2007, 07:21
Cheers Bonnie :p :ok: :ok:

woottsbj25
5th Feb 2007, 17:51
Hey guys,

I'm very very new to these forums here, and I came across this awesome thread. I've not read it all by any stretch, but what I've seen looks very interesting and informative.

I've just turned 17 and I'm well on with my PPL training at Blackpool in PA-28-140s. I went solo about a week after my 16th birthday, but due to the terrible weather you know we've been having, I've only managed to get about another 4 hours of solo in since then. I've got just over 40 hours total under my belt so far, and I'm down to advanced nav work now, and beginning to look at land-aways.

I've not yet done any solo nav work, but with the weather set beautiful tomorrow it looks pretty hopeful indeed.

I'm a little nervous about it - presumably that's to be expected? It's not so much the fact that I can get lost, because it would be very difficult to in an area that I know so well, and if you do get uncertain, you can just head towards the big "W" and you'll eventually hit the large Blackpool tower, hopefully in a metaphorical sense anyway. It's more the fact that there's so much more to think about doing nav work than in the circuit. For example, the flight my instructor's given me involves a left turn if runway 28's in use, which takes me straight into Warton's MATZ. It's a lot to think about, talking to Warton, trying to get MATZ penetration, maintaining your climb, thinking about turning onto your heading, getting the time, checking the chart etc.

Then of course, there are major problems that I know I could be faced with. Surprisingly, it's not so much something like an engine failure that I'm worried about, because I know there you just maintain your 75 knots and put it down wherever the heck you can. It's more something like a radio failure, where you can still fly, but I don't have a clue what to do. Blackpool doesn't seem to have any special non-radio procedures associated with it, so do I simply squawk 7600 and return to Blackpool, joining on a base leg to whichever runway I took off from and landing, hoping there's no traffic very close to me that I've not seen?

Are these normal thoughts to be running through my head at this stage of the training? From what I've read, it seems everyone goes through slightly tougher patches in the PPL training.

Also, has anyone got any quick tips before I take the plunge tomorrow?

Thanks for any help/advice, and I might just stick around here!

mazzy1026
6th Feb 2007, 07:34
Hey Woot - welcome aboard - glad this has been of use for you!

Some very good questions there, and a few concerns which I can relate to also. I flew in and out of Blackpool a few times, including on my QXC and the things you mention are typical of the area. The key to dealing with Warton, is to be prepared. After take-off, I woulnd't just call them up with "G-LFSA" I would actually give them a few more details as quick as possible so they knew exactly what I was doing:

"Wharton Radar, GLFSA, out of Blackpool for Liverpool climbing 1500".

You may not see it in CAP413 like that, but IMHO it makes perfect sense, especially as you have to say goodbye to Blackpool, change frequency etc etc. You will also find you get a quicker, more informative response - the controller knows that you know what you are doing...

Your worries of a radio failure are perfectly normal and we all share them, however here is my 2 pence worth. If you have a radio failure around Blackpool, then the first thing to do is remian CLEAR of controlled airspace. Blackpool has a lot of heavy commercial traffic, so you don't wanna be hanging around there with no radio. If it was me, I would quickly SQK 7600 and head over to Woodvale (you know where that is without a map don't you!!) circle overhead at 3000 ft (to keep out of there airspace - dont wanna hit any of those kids in a Tutor (I can say that, I used to be one ;) ) in theory, Blackpool, or whoever you were in touch with last should by now get the idea that you want to land there, and give them a quick call to let them know. Wait a few minutes and see if there are any green lights - if so your ok if not, then its purely your discretion. If it was me, I can imagine I would wait to see if there was any traffic, and if not I would plonk it on the runway.

Wat I have said above is open to LOTS of discussion and opinion, but make sure you check out CAP413 here: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF because it is laid out in stone there. If you read this, you may feel a little more relaxed (and that's not cos of the half a bottle of scotch you need to get through it ;) ).

Some people say it's a bad idea to go up with another PPL before the ticketis issued, but if you ever wanna go over anything just get in touch - and thats not forgetting your instructor of course, who is always your first port of call if possible..

Finally make sure you know your Air Law (sqk codes, airfield signals, procedures etc) - this is the stuff that helps you in the air when you get up sh*ts creek without a paddle - however boring at first - you need it :E

What is your QXC route?

Best wishes

woottsbj25
6th Feb 2007, 14:05
Hi there,

Thanks a lot for those comments, they really helped!

Well, just got back from the airport after a fantastic solo nav run. Tower controller got it slightly wrong, he cleared me for a left turnout off runway 10, but I pulled it up and he contacted Warton and got my info to them. It was a slightly busy time after I turned and contacted Warton, and my first checkpoint was under me in no time. I had few problems with Warton, but as things were busy I kept drifting slightly off my heading. I adjusted it with positive fixes to make sure I was on track - I thought I identified Burscough airfield, which was my turning point, but now I'm not completley sure that I did, especially after speaking to my instructor on the ground. it's very (very) disused and, in the bright sunlight and not fantastic visibility, it looks quite a lot like a field. However, I turned there and got established on my heading towards Preston. At that point the controller kindly told me that my radio was almost unreadable. I swapped radio sets, and tried transmitting on the other one, but I didn't hear anything back at all. When I switched sets back and transmitted again, he told me that he heard me much clearer on the other set but that he didn't think I could hear him, which was true. The crackling seemed to sort itself out anyway, he said I was readbility 4 by that time. I missed my first checkpoint on the way, but it was a slightly unclear road/railway crossing which I probably shouldn't have used. However, I positively identified my next checkpoint and reached Longridge successfully. The rest went really smoothly.

Sorry for waffling on, but I'm quite pleased that I've finally done it after a fair old wait :}

With regards to my QXC - think I'll be doing Blackpool - Caernarfon - Hawarden - Blackpool.

Thanks again for the reply!

mazzy1026
6th Feb 2007, 14:37
Sounds like you done really well there, not nice having to worry about a broken radio on your first solo nav - how ironic!

Burscough is an arse to find, especially in poor vis becasue the runway is like a grey-ish colour. I always look out for the big green water tower and the industrial estate, which the airfield is right next to. You can also use Ormskirk as a good marker as it's pretty much 2 or 3 miles north west of it.

My first nav solo was similar - from Liverpool to Leyland, accross to Southport Pier (clipping Warton zone) and back to Liverpool - it was horrible - so much to do in such little time/space. Warton were very good however and like I said before, if you can help them along with decent calls then they will do the same!

Good job

woottsbj25
6th Feb 2007, 14:45
Thanks for the reply!

Nice to know you had similar experiences with that. It's certainly interesting talking to someone who regularly flies around the area.

Blinkz
7th Feb 2007, 16:07
its really good to see this thread still active and lots of people entering the world of aviation! Just to add another dimension, I passed my IR today so am now a fully qualified CPL/IR, all I have to do now is my MCC course. It seems such a long time ago that I was here in this thread sharing my experiences with mazzy on the different bits of the PPL syllabus lol. I now have just over 200hrs, with most most of that being in Warriors, with 30 odd hrs in Senecas. Totally recommend any of you who are considering going down the commercial route, it really has been an amazing experience. I feel I know a lot more about flying then I did when I went out after getting my PPL! (and I don't mean that in an arrogant way!)

Enjoy your flying and happy landings!

Chequeredflag
7th Feb 2007, 22:34
Good to hear from you Blinkz, and congrats on getting so far along the road to a commercial licence. At 63 years old I'm way beyond such ambitions, and got my licence simply for the pleasure of flying. I'm currently doing my IMC which is very enjoyable has sharpened up my flying a great deal.

I know of another occasional contributer who passed his ppl skills test about 18 months ago (I think), and who has just landed a plum job as First Officer on Astraeus' 757 fleet. He's like a dog with two dicks at the moment as you can guess, and I wish him the very best in his new career. I wish I had done the same 40 years ago.

stevoneil
12th Feb 2007, 16:27
i havent read the whole thread yet. working my way through it slowely. Im about to do my second lesson and I was shocked to hear that people are landing on their second hour? landing is one of the most difficult aspects of flying and I cant forsee my instructor giving me the opportunity for a fair few hours yet. oh well i have my second lesson coming up very shortly so il wait and see...but i doubt it.

woottsbj25
12th Feb 2007, 16:58
Hi Steve,
It might surprise you, but certainly in my limited real-world flying experience, and from other people's experiences, I've found that landing, especially in light aircraft, is not really that difficult at all. Certainly lining up and getting the descent right is really quite simple as long as there's not a horrendous crosswind or something, although it does depend on which airfield you're flying from. If you fly from a grass airstrip, it will be a lot more difficult landing there than if you fly at a large airfield with a concrete/asphalt runway.
Of course, the full technique of landing, especially the final parts where you're reducing power, flaring (but not too much, otherwise you'll float), kicking off any crab that you may have because of a crosswind, making sure your descent rate is low enough so as not to give everyone a headache, judging your height etc, all within 3 or 4 seconds, takes a lot of getting used to, and even experienced light aircraft pilots don't get it right every time.
Personally speaking, if I remember rightly, I did my first landing on my 3rd lesson, with my insructor assisting. My first few sessions were when I was very young, and were spaced out a long way, so I probably didn't do my first fully unassisted landing until just before I started proper training about 2 years ago. Of course, my landings at the moment are still very hit-and-miss (if you'll excuse the pun :uhoh:) with only just over 40 hours' experience, but I tend to be able to pull off fairly smooth ones now. Landing a light aircraft is very much about co-ordination and balance.
It's surprising how simple it is to at least get the basics - normal light training aircraft are built to be hurt and thrown around quite a lot, so they can take hard landings very well (especially the robust Pipers), and it's quite difficult to scrape the tail or hit a wing or anything like that. Remember, for your first load of landings, your instructor will be very alert, and he'll be able to tell if anything's going wrong at an early stage, and take over the aircraft.
I wouldn't be surprised, if the conditions are right and you've handled the aircraft well for the rest of the flight, if your instructor lets you control the aircraft during the landing :)
Have fun!

woottsbj25
14th Feb 2007, 19:19
Have any luck with the landing Steve?

I did another solo nav today, and it went much better than my first one. Had a fantastic hour first with my regular instructor, went up to Settle and Clitheroe. For my solo I went up to a bridge near Cark and then along to High Bentham. That leg I was planning to continue on to Settle, but the cloud was fairly thick at my level and the ground was rising so I routed back towards Fleetwood and rejoined from there.

Turns out that radio problem I had over Warton was fairly common with the aircraft. It was just Warton that didn't like our radio for some reason, but everything seemed to work fine today.

Really enjoyed it today, it's given me a bit of a confidence boost. I'm booked in for tomorrow too, although it's looking as though it's going to be a bit windy.

stevoneil
18th Feb 2007, 09:25
heya. 2nd lesson under my belt and I feel as if i really learnt so much today. the first lesson I had a bit of a foggy memory of what happened etc because there was so much to take in but with this second lesson I had a few personal goals to understand and master trim and rudder.

I started by taxiing to the runway. unfortunatly I kept trying to turn with the yoke and resulted in me snaking left and right the whole way to the start point, over compensating with the rudder. when aligned on the runway I aided the instructor by pulling up at 55kt and maintaining 10 degrees. After levelling at 2k i asked about yaw effect on turning as I wanted to master the rudder on turning left and right and know what to feel for. Still need to remember to add a little rudder next time so thats a personal target for then.

After that I mastered trim which I knew I would fathom pretty quickly and feel confident to use now.

We then looked at some other basic effects of slow/fast flying. all of which seemed pretty obvious to me. then I spent a while following simple instructions ie climb 500 ft level off trim and maintain speed and height then turn west down 500 ft and stright and level.

At this point I felt that I was really able to be in control of the aircraft instead of it being in control of me. i had gone from timid movements of the yoke to purposeful and planned movements.

we entered a busy circuit at shoreham and came into land. I aided with aligning up to the runway until about 50ft before the instructor quickly took over.. lol

I taxieed back to the parking space much more accuratly this time although I received feedback to use the brakes next time.

booked another lesson for this morning but has just been canx due to cloud at 900 so i think im going to have to do a sicky on a fine day during the week! hehe

on another note my instructor told me hes leaving so ive got the chief instructor from now on rather than a student one. I imagine this will be much better for me in terms of instruction but I do worry about being less relaxed possibly?

stevo

woottsbj25
18th Feb 2007, 10:00
Congrats on that lesson! Sounds like you had a great time.

Shame about the weather this morning, though it surprises me, it's nice up here. Unfortunately aviation seems to be like that - even with my few hours I've been set back so many times due to poor weather, and it makes training so much slower. However, if you hit a nice spell, it's amazing how quickly you can get on with the course.

mazzy1026
19th Feb 2007, 08:20
I cant forsee my instructor giving me the opportunity for a fair few hours yet
I promise, you will say that about everything in the training, especially the QXC - it is then that you will be glad to be able to land after you've found the airfield ;)

It's really strange - I can't believe it's been a year since I got my ticket. I am reading these posts now and it brings back the memories :ok:

Keep it up :)
Maz :ok:

kookabat
19th Feb 2007, 11:44
Still alive!! Nice work.
My update - currently in the thick of a taildragger endorsement. Top fun!!! I'll figure out what I'm supposed to be doing one of these days, I hope... :O

Miraz
20th Feb 2007, 03:55
My update:-

I originally applied for my student license in October - it arrived in January whilst I was in Europe, so now I am trying to get the medical certificate processed. After 4 weeks of deliberations, I've been informed that I need to get a couple more tests done and that I should allow a further 3 weeks once the results of those have been submitted....which should see me through to mid-March before I can go solo. This is proving to be extremely tedious.

I've been doing a lot of travelling since my last update, so have not had much time to fly - I'm really holding on the paperwork before moving forwards again.

I went up for another round of circuit emergencies over the weekend in fairly challenging conditions - late afternoon, 32 deg, 12-15kts of x-wind.

My instructor and I are both of fairly stout construction, and the combination of our weights and the high temps did not make for great performance. Our Warrior was chasing a 152 around the circuit for most of the lesson, but not really catching it in the way that you might expect.

My judgement of different approaches seems to be gradually improving. I was caught short on one approach by the head wind on the base leg, and over-compensated on the next couple of glide approaches that more closely resembled stuka-stylee dive-bombing runs than landings - but the flare and touch downs were pretty consistent. Although on a couple of occasions I found myself being so relieved after touchdown that I prematurely released the backpressure on the stick and caused the nose wheel to judder fairly violently - but even with the engine randomly "failing" around the circuit I am reasonably confident of a good landing.

I am finding the mental side of it very interesting - I am repeatedly surprised at how easy it is let yourself become overloaded, focus on a single task and allow other tasks to slip. I have a number of other hobbies that require broad situational awareness, whilst multi-tasking but none of them manages to turn my brain to custard in quite the same way.

Hey-ho - onwards and upwards...:rolleyes:

Kerosine
26th Feb 2007, 19:38
Thought I should show my face and introduce myself after spending most of my adult life reading the whole thread (very interesting!).
In a way it's a shame I'm about 2/3 years behind you lot (namely Lee), but I suppose you have huge chunks of advice /wisdom to pass on.

I had my first lesson on Saturday.. It's now Monday and I still have restless 'need to fly, need to fly' legs. Flew from Barton in a lovely PA-28. It felt fantastic, after playing that bloody flight simulator, to actually do it. I even managed to get a little sqeak out of the stall warning on 'effects of controls' rudder inputs!

I work for a large financial Institution, and the amount of times I think 'that pensioner doesnt need £50k, thats daft, spread the wealth you bint!' whilst considering 'would she miss it if it dissappeared?' is dangerous!

Hope all you flourishing PPLs are enjoying it. Living the dream baby, living the dream :ok:.

Dave

woottsbj25
26th Feb 2007, 19:44
Hey Dave!

Great stuff! I hope you enjoy the PPL course as much I as I'm doing at the moment.

I'm booked in for tomorrow, but the forecast is appaling. High winds, low cloud and rain don't mix very well to give good weather for a solo nav :*

Just to let you guys know, I did my QXC route dual last Tuesday - Blackpool --> Hawarden --> Caernarfon --> Blackpool. Enjoyed it SO much, I can't wait to do it solo (no offense to the instructor :} ), I'll hopefully be doing that within the next 4 or 5 weeks.

Hope everyone else is getting on well!

Chequeredflag
27th Feb 2007, 19:48
Well done guys, keep posting to keep this thread alive - it's a good un!. I had an IMC lesson canned today from East Midlands (wx) (but spent 2 hours in the classroom on NDB/VOR/DME approaches). It was more tiring than actually flying the same thing!! I'm supposed to be doing the some tomorrow, but winds are forecast to be 30 gusting 47kts, so I can't see it happening.

woottsbj25
6th Mar 2007, 15:30
Hey guys,
Some news from me. I didn't get up last Tuesday, but I managed to squeeze one in on Saturday, enjoying clear blue skies at EGNH. However, I knew pretty quickly that I wasn't going to get where I wanted to, my instructor had planned me to go up to the south Lakes, and there was thick low cloud right from Carnforth up, at around 800 feet. I got pretty close, and descended a little, but I knew it was a no-go and had to turn back. Still, I got 45 minutes of solo time in, which is always good.

Today my instructor and I went down the low-level corridor between Manchester and Liverpool's airspace. I'm sure most of you are familiar with it, but it's a 4nm wide, 20nm long stretch of uncontrolled airspace not above 1250 feet. Landmarks are few and far between as it is, before you factor in the very low altitude. It was bumpy today too. However, it was very rewarding, and good fun too. Apparently the school's examiner often takes us down there on the test.

Booked my QXC for next week! Can't wait, I really hope it comes off. Coincidentally, I've got Wednesday off college too, so I've got double the chance.

On a slightly duller note, my instructor told me today that he's leaving on Friday for good, he's off to do a type rating. At least I've got very little of the course left now, so I'll just have a couple of different instructors over the next few weeks.

Ah well, that's my rant over for a while :}

EDIT - Actually, one more thing. I'm just about to call up an R/T examiner. My R/T is the only exam I've got left to do (save for my HPL, which I'm ready for and shouldn't cause too many problems). Anyone get any experiences of the exam they'd like to share? How is it? I've still got to read the book.

high-hopes
6th Mar 2007, 17:10
hi

was reading about the sex on first date... I mean, landing on second lesson scenario.
In fact, I see it quite often on the forums an dit makes me wonder if I am retarded, or an alien.... or a bit of both !

I went solo on my 14th hour of training, and up to my 10th/11th hour I felt wanting to get out of the bloody thing for not being able to get it right. Then all of a sudden it kicked in and all became easier. You know the score.

On my second hour I was probably still struggling to comprehend that the 2 pedals in front of me are not for braking and accelerating, and that while taxiing on the ground there's no need to move the control yoke to steer left and right !

Yet someone with no experience at all on their second flying hour can line up, glide down at the correct airspeed and gently touch down safely just a few yards past the numbers !

Of course I must have been hanging out with the wrong crowd ! ;)

Lister Noble
6th Mar 2007, 17:31
It's sometimes a lot of fun hanging out with the wrong crowd!
I think it was in the 60's!;) ;)

woottsbj25
6th Mar 2007, 18:02
high-hopes I'm not sure I see your point - could you clarify please?

mazzy1026
7th Mar 2007, 11:43
Woot - I know the feeling about having your instructor leave. Strange at first, but you'll be just fine when you settle in with the next chap!

See if you can find Ashcroft Farm the next time you leave the low level southbound - it's a small grass strip which we used for my QXC. I landed there also with another pruner last summer - quite a nice place...

Cheers

woottsbj25
7th Mar 2007, 15:52
Lee,

Funnily enough, that's the waypoint we used to turn back to head northbound again - it looks like the best one down there to confirm you're out of the corridor.

I actually thought when I was overflying it that it looks a very nice place to land at - is it private or can anyone land there? I've not got a Pooley's handy.

Regarding the Pooley's flight guide actually - do you know of a free place online with that info on? Or is the AIP Aerodromes section the only place like that. It just seems a bit much to have to buy one and keep updating it, when I'd only be using it maybe once a month at most.

stevoneil
9th Mar 2007, 17:01
hey lads and ladettes i thought I would keep you posted with my exciting 3rd lesson.

After 6 yes 6 cancelled flights over 4 weeks due to weather it was just about flyable today so i seized the opportunity to get up there. There was a strong crosswind just within the aircraft limits of 15kts.

After being introduced to my new instructor I told him what I had learnt etc and off we went. taxiing was fairly difficult getting to the runway as It takes me about 5 minutes to get used to each time. after snaking to the runway startpoint I pulled up at 60knts and we climbed bumpily to 3k ft and levelled out. this lesson was all about straight and level flight and what a difficult task it was with the wind bumping us about all over the place. I managed to master it but it was very hard to know if we were rising or falling as the 'picture' was moving up and down and left and right by about 30 degrees constantly. the instruments were swinging around all over the place and the altimiter needle jumped over 100ft up and down. maintaining a specific aaltitude was very difficult but im glad i had the experience in these kind of conditions because it will be a better test in the long run.

To my surprise the instructor suggested that we could still cope with a bit more turbulence! I had a firm grip on the controls at first trying to over compensate the sharp gusts of wind but later learnt that its easier to use just one hand to fly and hold the yoke loosely rather than with white knuckles.

Time to enter the left hand circuit and upon making the final turn we realised that the wind had pushed us way past the runway so we crabbed our way back and had to make a rapid descent so as not to miss it. I had a go at keeping level on the way down but left the rudder to the instructor. it was really strange to be flying towards the runway facing 30 degrees out of alignment and just on Q the instructor took full control at 30ft and whipped off the rudder to bring us in alignment a mere second before touching down.

I enjoyed the lesson and found the added wind made things a lot more tricky. every time i feel like I didnt do enough though. maybe others feel the same at the early stages and its just typical trigger happy newbie syndrome???

After landing I taxied much more accuratly back to the parking spot and ran through final checks.

Then I took a chance at my met exam. feeling I had nothing to loose and I PASSED!! all those cancelled lessons kept my head in the books/CD rom over the past few weeks and it paid off.

finally I settled the bill of £264 for 1hr flight, exam, kneeboard, logbook, checklist, and membership...Then I cancelled sundays lesson through lack of funds :*

Flygirl_
11th Mar 2007, 14:21
Hey there, posted a while back to introduce myself - (currently on straight and level flight exercises- 4 hours in-don't get to do much flying as I'm still trundling along at uni + the recent weather) -bit bumpy this morning but a gorgeous day to fly...my take-off was a little dodgy today-strong winds pushed me off my course as I took off- causing me to drift:uhoh:

My instructor tell me if I tackle straight and level then my life will become much easier! doesnt seem too bad at the mo, but I guess practice makes perfect....

Had the privilege of co-piloting (uninstructed) to Birmingham Int for a school trip, which was brilliant experience -would definitely recommend school trips to those who have the opportunity! especially us baby pilots! you get the time to feel comfortable with the aircraft and learn so much, as well as the excitement of landing at another airport and getting to know other pilots and the instructors...

off to the flyer exhib on sat with some other wanabe pilots to poke people for more information. Iv still got a lot to learn! :8

FG

kookabat
12th Mar 2007, 02:12
***First taildragger solo for me this morning!!! Woohoo!!!!***

:} :) :cool: :8 :p ;) :O :ok:

woottsbj25
12th Mar 2007, 18:26
Good stuff everyone!

I'm booked in for my QXC tomorrow! Weather looks a bit dodgy, but it might turn out nice. I've got Wednesday to fall back on too if it doesn't happen tomorrow.

Anyone got any tips for me on my QXC?

i.dingbat
13th Mar 2007, 01:56
Congratulations! Bet the Citabria went up like a lift without an instructor in the back! Nice weather too.

:D

(I hope to be out there on Saturday.)

mazzy1026
13th Mar 2007, 09:03
***First taildragger solo for me this morning!!! Woohoo!!!!***
You must feel like a kid all over again after the first solo - well done! (still jealous) ;)

All the experiences/difficulties/concerns that are being posted are classic and I promise you all that soon it does just 'click' into place. By no means are you/we an expert, but you will soon be able to think about other tasks (radio, nav etc) without having to give 100% concentration just keeping it flying straight.

I cannot believe I got my license on March 4th 2006, just over 1 year ago - where has the time gone? On Sunday I completed my SEP renewal (compulsory hour with instructor in second year) managed 4 landings and a completely none standard trip over to where I work (Deeside). Left the zone normally at Chester, switched over to Hawarden (who are usually closed at 1630 on a Sunday!) flew right around their zone (Deeside is right next to Sealand gliding field) then headed back in none standard via Neston. My first landing was good apart from the fact I ended up about 75 light years off the centreline on final approach! I did correct it though for the rest, the stonking crosswind didn't help :D

Best wishes

stevoneil
13th Mar 2007, 12:08
just watched the oxford aviation CD for Metearology and after watching once through passed the exam so its for sale as new. RRP £43 but i only had it a week so I think £30 is a reasonable price. PM me

stevoneil
16th Mar 2007, 09:50
HOUR 4 - Straight and Level ii

Well today the weather was fab. taxied out and took off by myself and climbed to cruising altitude remembering more to use the rudder. Did some zooming about for a bit and then came in to land. I got within about 20ft of the runway surface but veered off over the grass so in an instant i heard "I HAVE CONTROL" once again and after a quick adjustment we landed safely. I was really angry and frustrated at not being able to land but i spose it will come with time.

The main thing I noticed was that it took me a good 15-20 minutes to get used to the aircraft. maybe I had just finally mastered the rudder with turns but i started to feel like I was riding a motorcycle and feeling more at one with the aircraft. it clicked after a certain amount of time and I remember feeling the same with other lessons too.

I wonder then If it would be more beneficial to have two 2 hr stint twice a month rather than one lesson a week? each lesson I waste a good 15 minutes settling into the plane and relaxing into fluid movements etc. Can a more experienced pilot give me some advice on this?

Lister Noble
16th Mar 2007, 17:35
stevoneil,
I am not a very experienced pilot but passed my licence last May,
Have flown around 39 hours since then.
I booked 6 lessons ,2 Friday,Saturday and Sunday right through my course,couldn't fly all of them because of weather ,and it took me from August 2005 to May 2006,total 53 hours.
I think if I had only flown once a week it would have taken a lot longer.
Can you manage more ,or is time or finance limiting factor?
If money, maybe borrow it and pay back afterwards?
I whacked mine on the plastic and paid it off as quickly as possible!
Good luck with the flying

woottsbj25
16th Mar 2007, 20:27
Steve - I would imagine that once a week is better than 2 hours every 2 weeks. Apart from the fact that continuity of lessons is better, it is proven that after 20 minutes of concentrating, your mind takes in much less information, and after an hour it's a lot less still. 2 hours of constant concentration is a lot! That's my opinion anyway.

I finally did my QXC! Yay! Blackpool - Hawarden - Caernarfon - Blackpool. Had SUCH a great time, it was awesome! I've done a bit of a report here if anyone's interested.

So, after a fair old briefing from the instructor, I went and checked the aircraft out. I remembered that I hadn't booked out with ATC, which wasn't a good start, so I went back in to the club and did that. After doing my checks, I started her up and spoke to ATC, but the radio was incredibly quiet, even with all the volumes turned right up to the max, which was a little worrying. However, on I went, and I was soon up in the air talking to Warton. The radio was very quiet, and even with a noise-cancelling headset, it was sometimes barely readable at climb/cruise power.

The rest of that leg went pretty well. The landing at Hawarden wasn't bad, but the control column on this aircraft was stiffer than the one I'd flown for the last few sessions, so it was a bit of a 3-pointer when I suddenly realised it wasn't pulling back as quickly as I'd like :} - taxi went fine, and as I parked up, shut down and got out, I noticed the Airbus Beluga sat right overy the other side of the field again! I went and paid my landing fees, had a quick chat to the people in the tower then went, did a quick check around and started up again. As I was taxiing out, the Beluga was backtracking on the runway for takeoff, which was nice! I got an excellent view of its takeoff whilst I was doing my power checks.

Again, this leg went fine, a bit of a longer one this time. For the Menai Straits area inbound to Caernarfon, we have to be at 1400' or below to avoid the Valley AIAA. It's a bit unnerving, flying over quite an expanse of sea, but it's nice to see the land slip underneth you again. My overhead join into Caernarfon was a bit of a mess, as my radio was still being unclear and they like you to do it at just 1300' and circuits at 800 feet. Also, it's an Air/Ground station, which I only used once before. However, once I was settled into the downwind it was fine, and after getting a wind readout I pulled off a greaser onto Runway 20, with a Cherokee following closely behind me. The taxi in was fine, though it's very different parking up on grass! Lots of power needed.

I went up to the tower to pay my fees, and then into the Caernarfon flying club to book in/out and grab a coffee and some chocolate for well-needed energy! After a quick break and a chat, I headed out to the aircraft again. Phoned mum from the aircraft to tell her that I would be a bit late back, which she thought was very weird! Started up the aircraft again, and headed out to the holding point. Noticed on my mag check that the left mag was dropping quite low, but nothing too bad. After a bumpy backtrack, I was given the wind by the A/G station again. Full power, and a bit of back pressure to keep the pressure off the nose, and we were rattling down 20. The guy in the tower gave me a cheery goodbye and I was off again on the final leg. Again up the Menai Straits, back round to Point of Ayr, and then back into Blackpool. The arrival procedure into Blackpool was a bit messy again, because it was very busy and my radio was still playing up. I think it was a fairly new controller too, as I read 2 instructions back incorrectly because I could hardly hear them, but she didn't pick up on them (I know this because my instructor was also in the circuit at the time and he could hear everything). I was fairly unsure of what she wanted me to do, but I managed to use a bit of guesswork and common sense to position myself on the opposite side of the airfield for a right base to runway 28. After that the landing was fine, and I taxiied in and shut down where I'd left off. In a way I was tired and glad to be back, as the last part had been a bit of a drag, what with concentrating for so long, but on the other hand I was pumped and wishing it was 4 hours ago :}

I also took a few photos on my trip, all from the air. Some of them came out a bit bright, but they're not bad to say they were very quick ones taken through sunglasses on a small compact! I decided not to take the dSLR on this trip :}

I've decided not to put them on this forum, but if anyone would like some I can email them to you as a .zip or separately.

Also, if the weather's good (which it looks set not to be) I plan on doing my flight test this next week. I've got another hour of solo flight to do, to make up my 10 hours, and I'd like to do a quick revision flight with an instructor. 2 written exams (R/T and Human Factors) and I should be ready for the flight test. Not got my practical R/T license booked in until after easter, so I can't apply for my license until then, but at least everything else will have been done.

Thanks for reading, sorry if I went on a bit :}

Blues&twos
16th Mar 2007, 21:19
Thanks to all you lot I'm going to be broke for the foreseeable future.

Have just booked my 2nd lesson.

Finally couldn't resist anymore, largely owing to this thread. But I have to say this flying stuff is just fantastic!

WALSue
19th Mar 2007, 22:22
I've got my first proper lesson on thrusday (so far I've had an hours trial) At the mo the forecast is for snow and strong winds - typical!!

mazzy1026
22nd Mar 2007, 12:51
Finally couldn't resist anymore, largely owing to this thread
That's precisely what you need to get going :ok:

Woot - good job on your QXC. Do try and get those exams done, especially the RT ;)

Hi Sue - where are you flying from, Liverpool/Hawarden...............?

I am taking my barbers Father in Law flying on Saturday, he's never done it before and can't wait - he's in a model flying club, so I am planning on converting him to proper flying :E

I fly models too before you shout at me for that comment :p

WALSue
22nd Mar 2007, 13:15
Hi Mazzy.
I'm going from LPL, it was a toss up between the two as Im pretty much central to both but though it would be better from a proper international ariport (tho plenty of landings at Hawarden as they're cheap!)

BRL
22nd Mar 2007, 16:31
Sue, I was born in Wallasey, Mill Lane!!

Lee, I will be up your way around Easter (7th to 13th April) if you fancy going up for a quick spin or something (and I still owe you a pint!!!) :) Let us know if you are available?

WALSue
22nd Mar 2007, 16:34
Small world BRL!

Mariner9
22nd Mar 2007, 17:15
Sue, I was born in Wallasey, Mill Lane!!

BRL, my mother might have delivered you (A Midwife at Mill Lane:ok: )

I lived in Wallasey (St Georges Park then The Oval) for 20-odd years

mazzy1026
22nd Mar 2007, 18:15
A sense of family in the diary - bless ;)

BRL - yes, it will be the nicest tasting pint in the world - good things come to those who've had to wait :p :ok: :ok: Look forward to meeting up, perhaps Mariner, and anyone else who would like to join in - all welcome :cool:

woottsbj25
22nd Mar 2007, 22:29
Woot - good job on your QXC. Do try and get those exams done, especially the RT
Thanks a lot! I've finally done all of the written exams, I just have the practical radio to do and then that's the groundwork done! That's booked in for April 17th, but it's looking like I won't be getting my flight test done before that anyway.
(tho plenty of landings at Hawarden as they're cheap!)
What is a landing costing you at LPL? When I went to Hawarden in a PA-28-140 it cost £18, which seems quite a lot in the scheme of things, but I'm not sure.

mazzy1026
23rd Mar 2007, 09:48
£18? Surely that's only for non members? At Liverpool I pay less than £8 per landing, only as I am member of LFS (saying that the amount of time it can take you on some days to get back, kind of makes up for it) :rolleyes:

BRL
27th Mar 2007, 21:14
How about this then. Drinks in Liverpool or Manchester (might be going to see the Concorde in the day) on Monday 9th April?

Time will be evening and the place to be decided, indicate where you would like to meet up if you want to.

BRL, my mother might have delivered you (A Midwife at Mill Lane )April 10th Mid sixties!!!! Was she there then????????? :)

mazzy1026
28th Mar 2007, 11:58
Liverpool's good for me chief, however, if you really prefer Manchester (boooooo) then I can drive. There's a place at mine for the night if anyone needs it - only £45 including continental breakfast :p

Mariner9
2nd Apr 2007, 12:30
April 10th Mid sixties!!!! Was she there then?????????

She was there from '66 till it closed so possibly BRL. She says she only delivered Evertonians though ;) :E

Can't make Mon 9th unfortunately, will be darn sarf. Happy birthday for the 10th BTW BRL!

WALSue
2nd Apr 2007, 16:04
woottsbj25 - LPL is £7 or £10 (depending on flavour) for members - think its around £22 otherwise

So Mariner9, now we know who to blame for all the bluenoses round here :)

Miraz
5th Apr 2007, 04:47
:ok: First Solo this morning!:ok:

All went well, little worried by a funny metallic tinking noise during the circuit until I worked out that the spare belt had dropped down beside the seat - just relaxed and enjoyed myself from that point on.

Happy Easter all...

BRL
6th Apr 2007, 09:49
Well done Miraz, we can see that smile from here! :D

Congratulations.... :)

Miraz
29th Apr 2007, 10:41
A few more updates:-

2nd solo flight - after a few dual circuits, my instructor hopped out and sent me off for a few on my own again. Very busy circuit with a few aircraft making really big circuits - I followed one Tecnam that was abeam the threshold as I turned downwind, and still had not turned downwind when I reached the threshold despite my slowing to 85kts downwind. Net result - 3 go arounds in an hour due to the spacing going to hell.
Also had my first birdstrike on downwind - can't tell you what it was, except that it looked huge and glanced off the top of the leading edge of the wing after I tried to dodge above it - evidently it decided to climb too. Fortunately no damage to anything other than my trousers...decided to call it a day after that.

3rd solo flight - first flight without an instructor onboard at any point, just pick up the keys and go. Just beginning to think I can handle flying the circuit solo, when the tower decides to reverse the circuit direction and I realise that I'm not sure how to deal with it, so I opt to do a full stop and re-enter the new pattern once it is established again. I sit on the ground for a few minutes cursing quietly and adding more things to the ever-growing list of things that I know that I don't know but should. The rest of the circuits go relatively smoothly - there is almost no wind and the airplane seems to want to float for ever on each landing.

I had a lesson cancelled yesterday due to poor weather, so I was missing my fix for the weekend. My normal instructor doesn't work Sunday's, so I called up another flying school to try flying a tail dragger instead. So I found myself inelegantly climbing into a Citabria this afternoon after being shown round the beast.
Had an absolute blast of a lesson - off to the training area, and few turns and stalls to get the feel for it and back to the field for some circuits - squeezed in 7 circuits as the light was starting to fade all in less than 50 minutes!
Such a different experience from the PA28's....I drive away realising that I'm hooked and will have to go back for more.

kookabat
29th Apr 2007, 12:34
Ahh Miraz you have now been bitten by the tailwheel bug... and it will not let go!!! They certainly teach 'real' flying out there - how to 'fly' a light aeroplane, rather than how to 'operate' one.

Green, blue or orange (my favourite is the blue one - I have it for an hour tomorrow morning in fact)?

Miraz
29th Apr 2007, 21:01
The orange one....enjoy yourself this morning

kookabat
30th Apr 2007, 05:15
That'd be cos the green one is up on bricks!!! as I noticed wandering through the hangar this morning.
This'd be a familiar view for you then?
http://www.geocities.com/kookabat/citabriafinal.jpg
:ok: (that's the back of my ugly mug - my mate had the camera)

mazzy1026
30th Apr 2007, 07:53
Stop making me jealous!

Well done on the solo flying - you sound like you are getting some good experience in there, which will all pay off in the future.

I have thee most fantastic picture ever from my flight on Saturday - I'll try and post it as soon as....

Cheers

Miraz
30th Apr 2007, 11:59
Kookabat - so that what it looks like in daylight...was a bit darker for me - lovely way to end the day though.
http://www.miraz.com/gallery/d/3885-1/IMGP1659.JPG

My other half didn't believe that I would fit in the "silly little plane" as I am a little on the large side - she took this pic as I wandered off to pre-flight with a ladder clutched in one hand.
http://www.miraz.com/gallery/d/3840-1/IMGP1644.JPG

woottsbj25
5th May 2007, 16:09
Well, finally passed my checkride today! Yay!

Flight went without a hitch, and had a fantastic examiner. It's taken quite a while (18 months) but I finally found myself taxiing back and the examiner saying "Aaaaand that's a pass" :} :}

Just gotta wait a couple of weeks for the CAA to send my stuff back, then I'll be off!