Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Stansted-4

Old 6th Jul 2023, 07:02
  #1041 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Norwegian are buying Wideroe. I'm wondering if Wideroe will still be flying Bergen - STN in a year's time
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2023, 18:13
  #1042 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Stansted Airport
Posts: 368
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
Norwegian are buying Wideroe. I'm wondering if Wideroe will still be flying Bergen - STN in a year's time
If you look at the information on the announcement. They are purely buying them off the current owners.

‘Norwegian will acquire Wideroe from WF Holding, with the airline continuing to operate as a separate company with its own brand, organisation and headquarters in Bodo’

Quote above from Business Traveller.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...rrier-wideroe/

STN406 is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2023, 18:16
  #1043 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 5,038
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last paragraphs states a series of Lufthansa flights. https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/...-from-heathrow
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2023, 19:42
  #1044 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 35,000ft
Posts: 983
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster the Bear
Last paragraphs states a series of Lufthansa flights. https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/...-from-heathrow
These flights were announced a couple of weeks back and are to add capacity for Oktoberfest.
pamann is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2023, 19:58
  #1045 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 375
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With STN's passenger numbers rising substantially again this summer, and with the check in area becoming very crowded especially during peak times, I wonder if MAG did make the right decision in relocating the security area from its original central area to where it is now at the far left of the terminal and getting rid of zones J&K? Certainly didn't feel as congested then as it can be now. I presume that where the old security area was is now part of the departure lounge? Assuming the terminal extension gets the go ahead, it'll be interesting to see what MAG's plans are- would be nice if they were to roll back on the shops a bit in favour of more areas for passengers to sit down, as STN's problem now is that it has become almost chocked by the retail outlets MAG have managed to cram in. The terminal definitely felt more spacious even in the last few years of BAA ownership
JW95 is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2023, 20:45
  #1046 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,418
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JW95
on the shops a bit in favour of more areas for passengers to sit down,
I think we all know there is zero chance of that when its even more all about revenue streams now… People never walk with their feet and are quite willing to line up to queue in their masses, complaining when often they've paid less than £100 round trip and bought nothing in any any of the shops.
VickersVicount is offline  
Old 22nd Jul 2023, 00:48
  #1047 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 35,000ft
Posts: 983
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VickersVicount
I think we all know there is zero chance of that when its even more all about revenue streams now… People never walk with their feet and are quite willing to line up to queue in their masses, complaining when often they've paid less than £100 round trip and bought nothing in any any of the shops.
Also the terminal layout before security was relocated, those extra check-in zones were rarely used and were often empty like a ghost town. Even less now I’d say (if changes hadn’t been made) with more of Stansted’s customers using hand luggage only. But the shore-line check-in area will be well received once finished. The old check-in areas do feel dated and cramped as they’re no longer the ‘island style’ of Sir Norman Foster’s design.

Last edited by pamann; 22nd Jul 2023 at 01:10.
pamann is offline  
Old 22nd Jul 2023, 10:39
  #1048 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 375
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pamann
Also the terminal layout before security was relocated, those extra check-in zones were rarely used and were often empty like a ghost town. Even less now I’d say (if changes hadn’t been made) with more of Stansted’s customers using hand luggage only. But the shore-line check-in area will be well received once finished. The old check-in areas do feel dated and cramped as they’re no longer the ‘island style’ of Sir Norman Foster’s design.
I'm surprised you say that, because I remember seeing zones J&K being frequently used by FR prior to being knocked down? Their check in zones always seemed to be busy (more so now anyway!). I do remember reading in the STN press release notes that MAG had identified less pax using check in just prior to the terminal redevelopment, but it now feels as though the check in area is too small and more people are using it during peak times. I agree with you RE. the shoreline check in though, zone 500 definitely stands out as looking smart and modern compared to zones A-F. Is there a timeline for when it will be fully completed?
JW95 is offline  
Old 23rd Jul 2023, 04:51
  #1049 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Stansted Airport
Posts: 368
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JW95
I'm surprised you say that, because I remember seeing zones J&K being frequently used by FR prior to being knocked down? Their check in zones always seemed to be busy (more so now anyway!). I do remember reading in the STN press release notes that MAG had identified less pax using check in just prior to the terminal redevelopment, but it now feels as though the check in area is too small and more people are using it during peak times. I agree with you RE. the shoreline check in though, zone 500 definitely stands out as looking smart and modern compared to zones A-F. Is there a timeline for when it will be fully completed?
No timeline at this stage officially. Probably won’t get anything put out until the extension proposal gets accepted. Even then I’d imagine it won’t be the first project taken on.
But works to expand security begin later this year with the entrance to security moving forward to give more space for the new security lanes and to add more queuing space.
STN406 is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2023, 16:28
  #1050 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 375
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STN406
No timeline at this stage officially. Probably won’t get anything put out until the extension proposal gets accepted. Even then I’d imagine it won’t be the first project taken on.
But works to expand security begin later this year with the entrance to security moving forward to give more space for the new security lanes and to add more queuing space.
Good news RE. security, where is the new entrance going? Hopefully it'll look better than the current one- the white hoarding looks poor. I think MAG must've redesigned the entrance at least twice since the security area was relocated in 2013-14.
JW95 is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2023, 10:16
  #1051 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,472
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lufthansa

Lufthansa look to be extending their ad-hoc STN-MUC service over Oktoberfest with several dates now available over Christmas/New Year and Feb half-term periods.
FRatSTN is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2023, 12:27
  #1052 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: london
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lufthansa

Indeed and with better timings, see they are loaded for double daily on some periods with 1 operated by Lufthansa and 1 operated by Eurowings.

No doubt it would work very well as a year round addition, as would a flight to CDG with AF and a flight to AMS with KLM for both the stand alone and Hub connection opportunities
Paulesx is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2023, 16:24
  #1053 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not so many places currently
Age: 60
Posts: 3,776
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you are thinking of 2015-2017 with Eurowings, RYR are much stronger now. As for AF & KLM, slots are almost impossible to get and risk diluting LHR.
pabely is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2023, 17:42
  #1054 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: london
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it varies , Friday 22 dec example here is one eurowings and one Lufthansa.
saturday 23rd shows two operated by Lufthansa

Paulesx is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2023, 17:56
  #1055 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 375
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulesx
Indeed and with better timings, see they are loaded for double daily on some periods with 1 operated by Lufthansa and 1 operated by Eurowings.

No doubt it would work very well as a year round addition, as would a flight to CDG with AF and a flight to AMS with KLM for both the stand alone and Hub connection opportunities
I second that- it would be fantastic for STN if LH did convert this to a year round operation - connections wise, especially long haul, Munich has it covered well Plus MUC hasn't been served for some time since EZY cut the route, so its about time we had a year round connection again As far as AMS/CDG are concerned, I agree with you there also. AMS would work fantastically well as a feeder route with KLM, although there is an argument that this could potentially cannibalise loads on the NWI, LCY and LHR routes. Similar scenario with CDG, which hasn't been served from Stansted since EZY cancelled it. Surely MAG should be able to attract at least one of these airlines as a feeder operation to STN? I also can't see FR ever responding with their own STN-AMS/CDG services.
JW95 is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2023, 14:43
  #1056 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Stansted Airport
Posts: 368
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stansted Transformation Project

Sent out to MAG colleagues today. More insight into the terminal expansion. ‘London Stansted Airport has submitted a planning application to extend the back of the terminal by 16,500m2.

This scheme will provide increased terminal space to cater for additional passengers and provide a great experience at each stage of the passenger journey, from check-in through to immigration.

The scheme includes:
  • Replacing the existing check-in islands with a shoreline configuration, providing a more spacious environment, enhanced technology and additional queuing space.
  • Expanding our security hall, providing additional security lanes fitted with next-generation security equipment.
  • Extending the departure lounge, providing more space for passengers to relax before their flights with a wide variety of shops, bars and restaurants.
  • Constructing new ‘skylink’ walkways to directly link the terminal to the satellites.
  • Increasing the capacity of our immigration hall and baggage system, including additional reclaim belts.
Following an extensive review of design options, the extension provides the space and capacity we need, where we need it in the most timely and efficient manner. Subject to receiving planning approval, work on the extension is expected to begin next year.’



No plans or applications has been uploaded to the local council’s planing application page as of yet. Would imagine it would come on after the weekend now.
STN406 is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2023, 15:33
  #1057 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 35,000ft
Posts: 983
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STN406
Sent out to MAG colleagues today. More insight into the terminal expansion.‘London Stansted Airport has submitted a planning application to extend the back of the terminal by 16,500m2.

This scheme will provide increased terminal space to cater for additional passengers and provide a great experience at each stage of the passenger journey, from check-in through to immigration.

The scheme includes:
  • Replacing the existing check-in islands with a shoreline configuration, providing a more spacious environment, enhanced technology and additional queuing space.
  • Expanding our security hall, providing additional security lanes fitted with next-generation security equipment.
  • Extending the departure lounge, providing more space for passengers to relax before their flights with a wide variety of shops, bars and restaurants.
  • Constructing new ‘skylink’ walkways to directly link the terminal to the satellites.
  • Increasing the capacity of our immigration hall and baggage system, including additional reclaim belts.
Following an extensive review of design options, the extension provides the space and capacity we need, where we need it in the most timely and efficient manner. Subject to receiving planning approval, work on the extension is expected to begin next year.’



No plans or applications has been uploaded to the local council’s planing application page as of yet. Would imagine it would come on after the weekend now.

Overall I’m pleased as it’s about time some money was spent by MAG on improvements at Stansted.

One thing to note however

  • Extending the departure lounge, providing more space for passengers to relax before their flights with a wide variety of shops, bars and restaurants.
Relax clearly doesn’t include more seating. This is what’s desperately needed. Relax in MAG’s terms is to fleece the passenger of their dosh with more shops and restaurants. Stansted resembles a shopping mall as it is. What is also needed is more lounge options. The current lounge is woeful and lacks any feeling of exclusivity. It feels like you’re in a canteen in some factory basement.
pamann is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2023, 15:40
  #1058 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,512
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by pamann
Overall I’m pleased as it’s about time some money was spent by MAG on improvements at Stansted.

One thing to note however

Relax clearly doesn’t include more seating. This is what’s desperately needed. Relax in MAG’s terms is to fleece the passenger of their dosh with more shops and restaurants. Stansted resembles a shopping mall as it is. What is also needed is more lounge options. The current lounge is woeful and lacks any feeling of exclusivity. It feels like you’re in a canteen in some factory basement.
Ah, the standard response - hard to believe, but people actually like bars, restaurants and shops in airports, and it gives the airport operators chance to make up for the low fees airlines pay. I'm sure that if fares and fees went up the airports would be happy to shuffle people through the terminal as quickly as possible, with minimum investment.
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 4th Aug 2023, 15:42
  #1059 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 35,000ft
Posts: 983
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Ah, the standard response - hard to believe, but people actually like bars, restaurants and shops in airports, and it gives the airport operators chance to make up for the low fees airlines pay. I'm sure that if fares and fees went up the airports would be happy to shuffle people through the terminal as quickly as possible, with minimum investment.
Maybe it’s a standard response because it’s true 👍🏻
pamann is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2023, 15:46
  #1060 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Ah, the standard response - hard to believe, but people actually like bars, restaurants and shops in airports, and it gives the airport operators chance to make up for the low fees airlines pay. I'm sure that if fares and fees went up the airports would be happy to shuffle people through the terminal as quickly as possible, with minimum investment.
People are too addicted to the low headline fare for airport fees to be raised significantly. We see the "fly somewhere far away for pennies" advert, and it's only when we get to the airport that we remember the whole experience.
davidjohnson6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.