Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Stansted-4

Old 4th Apr 2023, 17:47
  #921 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: stockport
Posts: 474
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The number they have on order I would think so but not this year maybe next year or year after.as they will operate the Canary Islands and longer haul heavy lift flights.
One of the older A321ceo has already moved to BHX as G-SUNB is due in MAN on Thursday from EMA where it is having stencils put on
chaps1954 is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 18:34
  #922 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not so many places currently
Age: 59
Posts: 3,695
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More of a reason to keep them up North for the longer legs and the NEO engines are still less reliable than the CEO models.
Are their many first wave slots available for increasing the number if based frames to 20? Wouldn't make business sense if you can't get them earning money before 9AM.
pabely is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 20:37
  #923 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 35,000ft
Posts: 972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JW95
Great news! I would not be surprised to see a 20 a/c base at STN at some point given their expansion at STN in recent years. How does this compare to EasyJet's peak capacity at STN when they had a base here?

I'm also wondering whether we may eventually see some of the new A320/21-NEOs based at STN at some point?
Iím pretty sure EZYís base consisted of around 6-8 based units, with a lot of inbounds from BFS, GLA & EDI similar to what happens now.
pamann is offline  
Old 5th Apr 2023, 00:42
  #924 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 42
Posts: 1,507
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster the Bear
16th Jet2 airframe to be based this summer. https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/...nsted-capacity
Fantastic news, and how wrong I was thnking they couldn't compete in Fortress Ryanair.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 5th Apr 2023, 14:55
  #925 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Last summer, Niceair chartered an A319 from Hi Fly Malta to fly STN to Akureyri in Iceland. They managed to operate a couple of flights before the CAA told them to sod off because the UK-Iceland bilateral doesn't allow EU carriers
Niceair said they would return. They won't - Icelandic news reports Niceair are shutting down
https://www.ruv.is/frettir/innlent/2...le-a-starfsemi
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 5th Apr 2023, 15:17
  #926 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 35,000ft
Posts: 972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
Last summer, Niceair chartered an A319 from Hi Fly Malta to fly STN to Akureyri in Iceland. They managed to operate a couple of flights before the CAA told them to sod off because the UK-Iceland bilateral doesn't allow EU carriers
Niceair said they would return. They won't - Icelandic news reports Niceair are shutting down
https://www.ruv.is/frettir/innlent/2...le-a-starfsemi
Iíve seen some niche routes in my time and that was certainly one of them. No real surprise.
pamann is offline  
Old 5th Apr 2023, 16:23
  #927 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Outer London
Age: 43
Posts: 595
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pamann
Iíve seen some niche routes in my time and that was certainly one of them. No real surprise.
Itís a shame, the area around Akureyi is pretty incredible and quite distant from Reykjavik. Itís got good potential but really needs someone like EZY dropping in a couple of times a week from their bigger bases, the cost of running a dedicated airline is always going to be an uphill battle. Transavia have served it for a few seasons, Egilsstadir to the east had German package flights in the past.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 6th Apr 2023, 11:59
  #928 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 35,000ft
Posts: 972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like SunExpress may be moving their London ops from Luton to Stansted come October?

Thanks to SeanM1997 on Twitter.



pamann is offline  
Old 6th Apr 2023, 13:59
  #929 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not so many places currently
Age: 59
Posts: 3,695
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As they are owned jointly by Lufthansa & Turkish Airlines it was a little of an odd ball for Luton but I think TUI used to block book seats. Perhaps TUI have decided to use someone else so the need to use Luton has disappeared? Pure speculation.
My thought is Wizzair will be itching to connect more Turkish airports at Luton anyhow once Blue Air slots become available for bidding by the administrators.
pabely is offline  
Old 6th Apr 2023, 14:32
  #930 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Near EGSS
Posts: 472
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Competing with Pegasus on that route. Not very convenient flight times either.
ea200 is online now  
Old 6th Apr 2023, 17:34
  #931 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: london
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sun Express

Looking at the Sun Express website, seems their Luton - Antalya service is also not available to book for the winter 23/24 period, so no LTN flights at all, possibly been moved to Gatwick or potentially also switching to STN ??

What would really work would be TK mainline coming back on the STN - IST route, filling the Atlasjet void and enabling their IST
hub to pick up so much potential for onward traffic to the likes of CIS and Asia / Far East, demand is def there, same can be said for KLM reintroducing their AMS route as an onward hub.
Paulesx is offline  
Old 6th Apr 2023, 19:36
  #932 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 5,034
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sun Express only operate around Christmas and New Year at Luton due lack of slots apparently.
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2023, 10:14
  #933 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Under the flight path
Posts: 2,620
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Sun Express have been constrained by lack of slots at Luton, hence the move.
LGS6753 is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2023, 11:07
  #934 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 7,608
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
Fantastic news, and how wrong I was thInking they couldn't compete in Fortress Ryanair.
I don't think Jet2 from Stansted (who I used this last week) are directly competitive with Ryanair, despite their northern background they are now a national brand whose only operation from London/South East is from Stansted. Their base load is from their package holiday side. I suspect their market would follow them whichever London airport they used. It was however a sensible choice for them, I suspect if they could get slots at Gatwick they would operate parallel flights from there.
WHBM is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2023, 15:48
  #935 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 809
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
I don't think Jet2 from Stansted (who I used this last week) are directly competitive with Ryanair, despite their northern background they are now a national brand whose only operation from London/South East is from Stansted. Their base load is from their package holiday side. I suspect their market would follow them whichever London airport they used. It was however a sensible choice for them, I suspect if they could get slots at Gatwick they would operate parallel flights from there.
MAG Group discounts will play a significant part in Jet2 and Harp decisions

That said Jet2 do operate block charters from Gatwick

Agreed they arenít a direct head on competitor of either Ryanair or Easy being very much a hybrid tour company with airline attached business with limited back fill from sales largely targeted at the second home and Airbnb crowd.


Rutan16 is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2023, 10:29
  #936 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulesx
Looking at the Sun Express website, seems their Luton - Antalya service is also not available to book for the winter 23/24 period, so no LTN flights at all, possibly been moved to Gatwick or potentially also switching to STN ??

What would really work would be TK mainline coming back on the STN - IST route, filling the Atlasjet void and enabling their IST
hub to pick up so much potential for onward traffic to the likes of CIS and Asia / Far East, demand is def there, same can be said for KLM reintroducing their AMS route as an onward hub.
I think there could be a reasonable chance of TK resuming its STN-IST service once AnadoluJet is spun off into an independent airline - as you rightly say, there is wealth of connection opportunities available from the main Istanbul airport with TK that currently aren't accessible via STN.

As far as KLM is concerned - this has been previously flagged up, and discussed earlier in the thread. With just 2 flights available to AMS with EZY, this is a far cry from when KLM, and later Buzz served the STN-AMS route, which I believe at its peak stood at 6 daily? KLM UK had a hub at STN back in the early 2000s and even had its own dedicated lounge in satellite 2 for business class passengers. Certainly they would be a welcome addition to STN for MAG I'm sure, especially given KLM's vast network from AMS. However, no doubt KLM would be mindful of how a return to Stansted might influence its passenger through flow from LHR and LCY. I'm doubtful we would ever see a return to a 6 daily service to AMS, but perhaps they could make a double-daily AMS flight work to begin with and adjust accordingly?
JW95 is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2023, 12:20
  #937 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 294
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JW95

As far as KLM is concerned - this has been previously flagged up, and discussed earlier in the thread. With just 2 flights available to AMS with EZY, this is a far cry from when KLM, and later Buzz served the STN-AMS route, which I believe at its peak stood at 6 daily? KLM UK had a hub at STN back in the early 2000s and even had its own dedicated lounge in satellite 2 for business class passengers. Certainly they would be a welcome addition to STN for MAG I'm sure, especially given KLM's vast network from AMS. However, no doubt KLM would be mindful of how a return to Stansted might influence its passenger through flow from LHR and LCY. I'm doubtful we would ever see a return to a 6 daily service to AMS, but perhaps they could make a double-daily AMS flight work to begin with and adjust accordingly?
It would probably also cannibalise their Norwich route so all in all, fairly unlikely
jdcg is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2023, 12:24
  #938 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdcg
It would probably also cannibalise their Norwich route so all in all, fairly unlikely
Difficult to say RE. Norwich - as Norwich has been a well-established route for many years, and was being flown at the same time KLM UK flew STN-AMS at 5-6 daily in the early 2000s. So who knows? It would be nice to have them back, as I can't see EZY ever expanding beyond the current 2 daily flights to AMS, as they more-or-less gave up on STN in favour of LGW and LTN in 2020.
JW95 is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2023, 12:42
  #939 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not so many places currently
Age: 59
Posts: 3,695
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With AMS movements restrictions / reductions coming soon subject to EU courts I can't see any scope for anything new from STN, even for 2/day are any prized early morning / late tea time slots available other than the Loganair ones currently?
pabely is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2023, 21:05
  #940 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 5,034
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/...e-covid-levels
Buster the Bear is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.