Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Edinburgh-4

Old 9th May 2024, 08:51
  #2341 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 393
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ATNotts
Or maintain the one they've got properly. But when you're in hock to shareholders (as are most UK airports) proper facilities and maintenance rank below return on investment. Thats the UK for you.
Iím sure itís due to get completely resurfaced soon
A350Saltire is offline  
Old 9th May 2024, 08:57
  #2342 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,169
Received 492 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by A350Saltire
Iím sure itís due to get completely resurfaced soon
Perhaps it was "due to be resurfaced" previously but deferring it was a better option for shareholder return. The result will likely be a bigger bill than might otherwise have been the case.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 9th May 2024, 09:23
  #2343 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,525
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
It was indeed due to be fully resurfaced (I think it was 2021) but deferred due to the pandemic.

In other news, I see BA CityFlyer is advertising for Edinburgh-based direct entry Captains. The base - another pandemic casualty! - must be reopening, which is an interesting move. I canít think that will do any favours for other airlines and wannabe airlines trying to retain and recruit for Edinburgh bases.
Flightrider is offline  
Old 9th May 2024, 11:24
  #2344 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 276
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A350Saltire
Iím sure itís due to get completely resurfaced soon
Not until winter 25/26! Too far away IMO - perhaps logistical not practical but real could do with being completely redone this winter!
Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 9th May 2024, 15:17
  #2345 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,831
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts
why not do it in summer - the nights are very short , its warmer and you'd get twice the productivity................
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 9th May 2024, 15:29
  #2346 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Posts: 750
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are BA CityFlyer to re-open the Edinburgh Airport base ??? I didn't see any advert for 1st officers or cabin crew for Edinburgh base , just captains I read on the job advert.
fjencl is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 02:10
  #2347 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More runway resurfacing works tonight aswell.

NOTAM out for 0300-0500 local
NotanAVGeek is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 06:48
  #2348 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,783
Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
why not do it in summer - the nights are very short , its warmer and you'd get twice the productivity................
Might impact the productivity of your major customers in their busiest period!
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 07:30
  #2349 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,831
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts
Well constant diversions will have the same effect - and it'll be worse as they're unplanned
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 07:48
  #2350 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,169
Received 492 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Flightrider
It was indeed due to be fully resurfaced (I think it was 2021) but deferred due to the pandemic.
.
The pandemic would gave offered the perfect opportunity to close the airport for two or three months and do a proper job.

Obviously contractors might not have had the capacity to drop everything and do it though.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 07:58
  #2351 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,783
Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
Well constant diversions will have the same effect - and it'll be worse as they're unplanned
If the diversions were constant, yes. Shifting the last wave of arrivals and first wave of departures would have a massive impact.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 08:55
  #2352 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 235
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATNotts
The pandemic would gave offered the perfect opportunity to close the airport for two or three months and do a proper job.

Obviously contractors might not have had the capacity to drop everything and do it though.
In hindsight, that's true but it's not that simple. The works are to cost £20m. It would have been a brave airport management team that sanctioned such a level of expenditure in the depths of the pandemic. There are several mail and parcel flights overnight, which continued to operate during the pandemic. They would have had to have moved somewhere were the airport to have closed, with consequences for the ground transport of the cargo carried by those services.
tartan 201 is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 09:24
  #2353 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,169
Received 492 Likes on 289 Posts
tartan201,

Short term pain, long term gain. All those cargo ops could have been relocated to GLA or NCL for the period.

I'm sure the driver for not doing it was simple, money and the bottom line. Investors think long term is the next quarterly statement!
ATNotts is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 09:36
  #2354 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,783
Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts
Yes, a big investment when you have no income and an uncertain future. Would the world be the same, would aviation come back? Hindsights a wonderful thing
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 09:55
  #2355 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,169
Received 492 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Yes, a big investment when you have no income and an uncertain future. Would the world be the same, would aviation come back? Hindsights a wonderful thing
By mid to late 2020 the direction of travel of the pandemic was pretty clear, with both treatment and vaccination. Nobody seriously thought there was going to be "commercial aviation armageddon" so while some hindsight may be in play its mainly a case if risk averse private investors. I feel sure that had airports been treated as vital infrastructure the necessary work would not have been deferred.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 10:14
  #2356 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 235
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pegasus twice-weekly to Istanbul:
​​​​​
tartan 201 is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 10:44
  #2357 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,461
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting. Seems to be a reasonable product. Not sure what market theyíll be after with twice weekly but may just be testing water. They do have a reasonable local connection network. Wonder, where they've competed with TK elsewhere, what effect if any it has on TK numbers, as both offer relatively cheap fares already.
VickersVicount is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 10:58
  #2358 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,783
Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by ATNotts
By mid to late 2020 the direction of travel of the pandemic was pretty clear, with both treatment and vaccination. Nobody seriously thought there was going to be "commercial aviation armageddon" so while some hindsight may be in play its mainly a case if risk averse private investors. I feel sure that had airports been treated as vital infrastructure the necessary work would not have been deferred.
So do it as the sector is recovering and you are trying to make up your losses. Brave.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 11:28
  #2359 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 884
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VickersVicount
Interesting. Seems to be a reasonable product. Not sure what market theyíll be after with twice weekly but may just be testing water. They do have a reasonable local connection network. Wonder, where they've competed with TK elsewhere, what effect if any it has on TK numbers, as both offer relatively cheap fares already.
Connections onto Ercan (Northern Cyprus) and Antalya are key onward destinations for Pegasus . They will also get you onto much of the Middle East and Karachi. They compete aggressively against THY
Rutan16 is offline  
Old 10th May 2024, 11:45
  #2360 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,169
Received 492 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
So do it as the sector is recovering and you are trying to make up your losses. Brave.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Private capital is risk averse and generally very short term in its outlook. It has wrecked more than a few businesses.

There are issues making private money responsible for airport infrastructure. I don't think you need to look much further than EDI's passenger terminal or indeed the debacle at BHX to see good examples of that. I would add that I base my view on EDI largely from posts on this very thread.
ATNotts is offline  
The following users liked this post:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.