Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Gatwick-3

Old 27th Nov 2022, 21:28
  #901 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ballymena
Posts: 1,377
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see from the BA site, when I have been considering some bookings, that the A321 is appearing on routes out of Lgw.
True Blue is online now  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 01:03
  #902 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 41
Posts: 1,219
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is BA EuroFlyer actually getting it's own AOC and callsign? Maybe by next summer?
When was the last summer BA had 28 based short haul
aircraft at Gatters?
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 05:23
  #903 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot View Post
Is BA EuroFlyer actually getting it's own AOC and callsign? Maybe by next summer?
When was the last summer BA had 28 based short haul
aircraft at Gatters?
I believe in Summer 2019 during peak times up to 32 Airbus aircraft were operating from Gatwick.
There is enough snack in the short haul fleet with relatively few aircraft retirements, new deliveries and still some in storage. It all depends on the timeframe being considered.
Likewise with slots they have enough when you consider those temporarily leased out to others. At the moment they appear to be using about 52 slot pairs daily next summer( mainline and Euroflyer). They potentially have 80 to 90 slot pairs available when leases to others are taken into account.
I believe A321 aircraft are due to start operating from Gatwick for BA from next February.
vectisman is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 11:44
  #904 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 284
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vectisman View Post
I believe A321 aircraft are due to start operating from Gatwick for BA from next February.
That will be fun. There are barely enough fit/legal/rested cabin crew to get 3 on a 319, let alone 5 on a 321.
I suppose Heathrow will come to the rescue once more.
USERNAME_ is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 14:18
  #905 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USERNAME_ View Post
That will be fun. There are barely enough fit/legal/rested cabin crew to get 3 on a 319, let alone 5 on a 321.
I suppose Heathrow will come to the rescue once more.
Actually recruitment is going quite strongly for next Summer.
vectisman is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 19:55
  #906 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 41
Posts: 1,219
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vectisman View Post
Actually recruitment is going quite strongly for next Summer.
It's holding onto them that's proving the problem as it's mainly hard days of there and back with next to glamorous nightstops. They have a staff retention problem I understand.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 21:10
  #907 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 284
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot View Post
It's holding onto them that's proving the problem as it's mainly hard days of there and back with next to glamorous nightstops. They have a staff retention problem I understand.
Exactly that. Recruitment isnít an issue. In fact, they are churning out a few new entrant courses per month. The problem is, for both first time flyers and experienced crew, is that that after a month or two of flying, most of them decide itís not the place for them.
USERNAME_ is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 21:37
  #908 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 4,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

Originally Posted by USERNAME_ View Post
Exactly that. Recruitment isnít an issue. In fact, they are churning out a few new entrant courses per month. The problem is, for both first time flyers and experienced crew, is that that after a month or two of flying, most of them decide itís not the place for them.
I guess remuneration factors highly?
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2022, 09:28
  #909 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 284
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster the Bear View Post
I guess remuneration factors highly?
That certainly play a part in it. The schedule doesnít help, and according to most, that plays a larger part it in. The scheduling is dire, but progress is being made, even if painfully slow.
USERNAME_ is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2022, 18:30
  #910 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Under the flight path
Posts: 2,548
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick has been intermittently closed due to snow today. Diversions have gone to Luton, Stansted, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Manchester and Liverpool.
LGS6753 is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2022, 23:31
  #911 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 41
Posts: 1,219
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One inch of snow.
Gatwick Airport completely closed.
Twitter account wrongly says "unforecast snow".
TAF and airline forecasts disagree.

This country no longer plans for even basic contingency. Every single thing is shareholder value. See also "British" Airways and Manchester "Airport".
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2022, 23:43
  #912 (permalink)  
ZFT
N4790P
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 72
Posts: 2,202
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of deicing vehicles doesn't help the situation either.
ZFT is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2022, 23:59
  #913 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The EU
Posts: 593
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lack of snow removal equipment might be a justified excuse given how rarely they are needed, but aircraft need to be de-iced more mornings than not for about three months of every year.

Itís pathetic, but alas no longer unexpected in this country.
Vokes55 is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2022, 17:13
  #914 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 7,326
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part of the issue is that runway/ramp clearance is down to the airport operator, who only lose landing fees if cancelled, and thus in the financial equation it seems not worthwhile to spend on kit and training. The big financial loss is to the airlines, but they don't make the decisions. There's nowhere else that Easyjet or the others can practically or commercially go to if they want to serve the market, and the airport owners and investors know that.
WHBM is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2022, 17:40
  #915 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 847
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There’s plenty of snow clearing equipment. It’s been sitting out ready for weeks off the end of pier 6. But not sure exactly what went wrong yesterday, presumably not enough people to operate it, just like the de-ice trucks
FlyboyUK is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2022, 17:48
  #916 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 7,247
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Part of the issue is that runway/ramp clearance is down to the airport operator, who only lose landing fees if cancelled, and thus in the financial equation it seems not worthwhile to spend on kit and training. The big financial loss is to the airlines, but they don't make the decisions. There's nowhere else that Easyjet or the others can practically or commercially go to if they want to serve the market, and the airport owners and investors know that.
I think the airport operator might point out that the airlines get what they pay for.
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 12th Dec 2022, 18:12
  #917 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Danunder
Age: 48
Posts: 96
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Part of the issue is that runway/ramp clearance is down to the airport operator, who only lose landing fees if cancelled, and thus in the financial equation it seems not worthwhile to spend on kit and training. The big financial loss is to the airlines, but they don't make the decisions. There's nowhere else that Easyjet or the others can practically or commercially go to if they want to serve the market, and the airport owners and investors know that.
The airport operator also potentially misses out on passenger retail spend and car parking revenue, depending on how and when flights are being cancelled relative to STDs and customers pushing for refunds.
UnderASouthernSky is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2022, 21:33
  #918 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not so many places currently
Age: 59
Posts: 3,019
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
I think the airport operator might point out that the airlines get what they pay for.
So what is their excuse to Emirates for diversion of A380 to AMS? Do they pay LoCo landing & handling fees?
pabely is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2022, 06:33
  #919 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 7,247
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pabely View Post
So what is their excuse to Emirates for diversion of A380 to AMS? Do they pay LoCo landing & handling fees?
"Airlines" - collective, and between them they don't pay enough to keep the airport open 24/7 in all weather conditions
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 13th Dec 2022, 09:41
  #920 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 41
Posts: 1,219
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What % increase in airport charges would allow a major airport like LGW to remain open 24/7/365? It would be pennies over a year?
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.