Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Jet2-6

Old 3rd Mar 2023, 08:04
  #961 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,363
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently flew on a 16 year old Thai B777 and it looked every bit that old, a bit tired, but I also flew on a 23 year old B738 of Jet2 last week & you would think it was almost brand new. Looking forward to flying soon on a 30+year old B757 of theirs. It is obvious their fleet has lots of TLC and reliability has not been affected by age.
Mr A Tis is online now  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 08:51
  #962 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet2 takes baggage handling in-house at Bristol and Newcastle airports | Travel Weekly
SealinkBF is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 13:45
  #963 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 43
Posts: 762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATNotts
You make an argument for withdrawing older aircraft on environmental grounds, but how much is the environmental cost of scrapping and then building a replacement? Computers are totally different to a piece of machinery such as an airframe surely? I don't believe for example that a 30 year old aircraft would have the same avionics kit, same engines etc. throughout its operational life. They are consumables and must to some extent be capable of updating so the age of the airframe itself isn't the whole story. Noise pollution is certainly a more valid argument, but I for one can't tell that much difference between the noise levels of, for example a 737-800 and and 737-MAX - perhaps its down to my "cloth ears". Is a 737-300 really that much noisier than a 737-800? If it was significantly noisier than more current technology then I would be surprised if legislation were not introduced to severely restrict their us, but so far as I am aware it hasn't so far.
I think people are just arguing for the sake of arguing now. A complex aircraft is not comparable to a spade or hi-fi is it? Also, does the spade or hi-fi affect as many people as an aircraft does every day on numerous landings and take offs and of course flying over thousands of miles.

Does 30 years not seem like a good compromise for a car or aircraft? It seems to be the age most aircraft get scrapped so there must be some logic to it. Yes some new items such as electric cars have a huge environmental footprint before they have even been delivered but we don’t have electric planes yet and that’s certainly not relevant to the point I was making. There have been 2 evolutions since the 300s and 800s can be picked up dirt cheap and is the overwhelmingly their biggest fleet. Fleet commonality anyone? 200s might be used in Canada but that’s because they operate from gravel strips and their engines aren’t as close to the ground. It’s still ridiculous but at least there is a proper reason to justify it. Jet2 are only keeping the 300s around as they are paid off and cheap. My personal view is they should be removed from the fleet immediately along with the 757s.

Originally Posted by MDS
I suppose you'll lose your mind when you realise a large number of GA aircraft are 50+ years old. Working wonderfully I might add.
Powered by leaded file and for very selfish purposes. Again, the CAA should put a date in the diary when leaded fuel is banned and any GA not conforming is no longer allowed.

Originally Posted by Bradley Hardacre
There are plenty of 30 year old plus class 08, 37, 43, 47 diesel engines working all over Network Rail, some older than 60 years, and don't get me started on the60 year old C 135, KC 135, RC 135s. Who would pick a user name like Rivet Joint and complain about ancient airframes?
Does no one understand the word context? The railway is hardly a comparable when we are talking about modernisation. Plus the old trains and planes you refer to are for specialist purposes and used sporadically. They aren’t used every day on numerous sectors for commuters. Same goes for the person mentioning old war planes used for a few displays a year.

Originally Posted by xanda_man
My 31 year old "Classic" Mini has just passed it's MOT and met the required emissions standards as set by the DVSA. Your point is completely invalid.

This thread has gone off on a right tangent.
Your “classic” mini that I assume you don’t use as an every day and that has a tiny engine? Ironic you talk about a point being invalid.

Originally Posted by chaps1954
I have a freezer in the cellar that is probably 30 years old and it has outlasted the later ones(2) and still works perfectly should I go and throw it away and buy anther one
Appliances are a different matter and should be built to last or made repairable. In fact, there is already legislation in play that is tackling that.
​​​​​​​


​​​​​​​

Last edited by Rivet Joint; 3rd Mar 2023 at 14:06.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 13:58
  #964 (permalink)  
Gender Faculty Specialist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stop being so stupid, it's Sean's turn
Posts: 1,872
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint
Appliances are a different matter and should be built to last or made repairable. In fact, there is already legislation in play that is tackling that.
Aeroplanes are also repairable. I doubt there's a lot left of a 30 year old aeroplane that's actually 30 years old.
Chesty Morgan is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 15:11
  #965 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Utterly
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint
Plus the old trains and planes you refer to are for specialist purposes and used sporadically. They aren’t used every day on numerous sectors for commuters.
Yes, but the American's B52s are 60 years old plus and still form the main part of Global Strike Command and 60 year old KC135s are in daily use. Without wanting to sound like some sort of train spotter I should mention 50 year old class 313 electric multiple units in daily service on Southern operating numerous daily "sectors" for commuters and therefore I think your 30 year age limit is arbitrary and inaccurate. Remember that modern engineering will probably last longer than current 50 year old engineering and I see Boeing's B737 max aircraft as an example operating well into the 2060s and beyond.
Bradley Hardacre is online now  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 15:12
  #966 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: .
Posts: 460
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet2 are only keeping the 300s around as they are paid off and cheap
And, most importantly, safe.

Why should they have to remove an aircraft, which makes sense for them economically, just because they've reached an arbitrary age?

This thread has gone off into a tangent probably more suitable for Jetblast.
cavokblues is online now  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 15:31
  #967 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Danunder
Age: 49
Posts: 136
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No point scrapping the B757s "immediately" as they don't yet have comparable aircraft that they can bring in to replace them from a capacity and performance point of view.
A321ceo don't offer transatlantic capability and the B757 offers performance to allow operations to/from certain restrictive airports - be it scheduled destinations or those for charters.
UnderASouthernSky is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 15:58
  #968 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: London, UK
Posts: 696
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lady boarding a PBA DC3 asked the captain “Is this old aircraft safe?” To which the captain replied “Yes, madam. How do you think it got to be so old?”
willy wombat is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 17:13
  #969 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere
Age: 41
Posts: 215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ignore the troll
redED is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 18:44
  #970 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Manchester
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-GDFX 7700

Flight from Antalya to Manchester arrived squawking 7700 just..
bobradamus is online now  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 15:11
  #971 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know if the A321's (G-POWN & G-POWU) from Titan will be leased for Summer 23, based at STN ? There are normally 2 or 3 leased frames each year.

Perhaps even G-POWT will see some use, it's currently leased to BA until 5th March.
garry8g is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 16:27
  #972 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garry8g
Anyone know if the A321's (G-POWN & G-POWU) from Titan will be leased for Summer 23, based at STN ? There are normally 2 or 3 leased frames each year.

Perhaps even G-POWT will see some use, it's currently leased to BA until 5th March.
Yes, the current plan for STN includes the two Titan A321s plus HiFly’s CS-TRJ again.
sdbelgium is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 17:50
  #973 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdbelgium
Yes, the current plan for STN includes the two Titan A321s plus HiFly’s CS-TRJ again.
Thanks for quick response.
garry8g is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 19:24
  #974 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Uk
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garry8g
Anyone know if the A321's (G-POWN & G-POWU) from Titan will be leased for Summer 23, based at STN ? There are normally 2 or 3 leased frames each year.

Perhaps even G-POWT will see some use, it's currently leased to BA until 5th March.
per jethros, G-POWT is with BA until MAR24, so unless it’s a typo there’s no chance of that being with LS this summer, I would imagine WM and WU will be though, given the fact they’ve dropped Smartlynx I would assume they would want to keep hold of every reliable ACMI provider they can
azz767 is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 21:30
  #975 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 5,038
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume the recent acquisitions are to make up for the late delivery of the 321 Neos?
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 22:37
  #976 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not so many places currently
Age: 60
Posts: 3,774
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't think so, retirement of older aircraft. G-SUNB A321NEO should be delivered in April and G-SUNC & D are nearing completion in Hamburg.
pabely is online now  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 22:38
  #977 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Co
Posts: 117
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azz767
per jethros, G-POWT is with BA until MAR24, so unless it’s a typo there’s no chance of that being with LS this summer, I would imagine WM and WU will be though, given the fact they’ve dropped Smartlynx I would assume they would want to keep hold of every reliable ACMI provider they can

GPOWN GPOWU and potentially GPOWW on occasions - GPOWT not planned to cover any flying at minute but could potentially cover maintenance etc
irishlad06 is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 22:41
  #978 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Co
Posts: 117
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster the Bear
I assume the recent acquisitions are to make up for the late delivery of the 321 Neos?
no - they have been planned for quite a bit. 6 aircraft in total - 4 more to come. 2 more from SAS and another 2 from Sunwing both with split schimitar winglets
irishlad06 is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2023, 07:51
  #979 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azz767
per jethros, G-POWT is with BA until MAR24, so unless it’s a typo there’s no chance of that being with LS this summer, I would imagine WM and WU will be though, given the fact they’ve dropped Smartlynx I would assume they would want to keep hold of every reliable ACMI provider they can
as per Jethros, it’s 5 March 2023 for G-POWT.
garry8g is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2023, 07:52
  #980 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irishlad06
GPOWN GPOWU and potentially GPOWW on occasions - GPOWT not planned to cover any flying at minute but could potentially cover maintenance etc
G-POWW is currently in Singapore for freighter conversion. G-POWN to follow after the summer 23 season.
garry8g is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.