Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Airlines, Airports & Routes
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel

Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel

Old 2nd Dec 2020, 12:15
  #2381 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
but the Canaries are requiring evidence of a negative test now?
Yes. But we are in the midst of the second wave. I am talking about S2021.

Consider that around 60 Tory mps have just voted against the new tier system on economic grounds and that is against the backdrop of hundreds of people currently dying every day.

One more point. I have listened to countless hours on tv and radio regarding the vaccination. I have not heard mention of a certificate.
DC3 Dave is online now  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 12:17
  #2382 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: U.K
Posts: 782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
but the Canaries are requiring evidence of a negative test now?
Lots of places are currently demanding proof of a negative test. That is somewhat different than demanding proof of medication.
The96er is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 12:40
  #2383 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: SYD
Posts: 525
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of politics on this thread today. I'm particularly amused by the notion that one's views on Brexit can be presumed to imply a certain set of views on masking-up and vaccination protocols. Perhaps some are trying too hard to stereotype an ideal bogeyman adversary to despise in their own minds? The reality is diversity of views as broad as society itself.

My thoughts turn to more practical matters. I'll be having my vaccination as soon as practicable once I'm invited up for my jab. Hope that comes sooner rather than later, but I'll respect the principle of prioritising groups by risk and will patiently await my turn. But my understanding is that HMG's vaccination tiers reach a cut-off at age 50, with younger folks not currently included within the plans to receive an innoculation. What are the implications of this with regard to international air travel? We know that U18's are unlikely to gain any tangible benefit from a vaccination at all, so it makes sense to exempt those in this age group. But adults aged 19-49 appear to be left in a Limbo by this. Will they be expected to pay for private vaccinations if they wish to travel or go to the theatre etc? Whilst over 50's are innoculated for free? We need a plan for all this ... especially across the airline industry. And we certainly need an international agreement on what documentation requirements will be mandated for crossing borders. Preferably a common standard which will be recognised and accepted at all frontiers.
OzzyOzBorn is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 13:07
  #2384 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I also say that when called for vaccination I shall be there.

But as it has been pointed out, fit healthy people in their prime will be waiting some considerable time before vaccination. I have heard twice today that it is highly unlikely vaccination will be available privately in the foreseeable future.

So are governments going to wait until all have been offered the vaccination before requiring certification for crossing national borders? Or are some of you happy to sit at home while I’m relaxing around a pool in the Costa del Sol? I will send you a postcard.

Can I just add, a former director of immunisation has just said that it may be that the most vulnerable should be given one of the vaccines with 95% efficacy. Those in low risk may end up with one with 60% efficacy. I should get one of the former. Should I be entitled to a priority queue at the airport?

Last edited by DC3 Dave; 2nd Dec 2020 at 13:18.
DC3 Dave is online now  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 13:21
  #2385 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stockport
Age: 56
Posts: 352
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OzzyOzBorn

These are just the priority groups as they are most at risk. I would be very surprised if under 50s weren't included in the next phase on the basis that under 50s can still spread the virus. The government will want well over 50% of the population vaccinated to achieve herd immunity so I think all adults will be offered the vaccine at some point.
DomyDom is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 14:19
  #2386 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: U.K
Posts: 782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There’s currently no evidence that any of the vaccines can prevent the spread of the virus. Only prevent you from developing serious symptoms.
The96er is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 14:37
  #2387 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,803
Received 199 Likes on 92 Posts
Of course there isn't (yet).

It would be more than a tad optimistic to expect that vaccine trials to date would be able to quantify their effect, if any, on third-party transmission.

However absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

What can we expect from first-generation COVID-19 vaccines?
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 16:52
  #2388 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Outer London
Age: 43
Posts: 600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OzzyOzBorn

I did try to make clear it’s not an absolute guarantee. But the evidence is there in plain sight on social media and if you take Parliament it’s even a matter of public record as many of the most vocal MPs resisting restrictions are one and the same as members of the ERG.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 17:00
  #2389 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: U.K
Posts: 782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That may be partially true within the political arena, but within my own circle of acquaintances, the ones who are a pro lockdown are also the amongst the most hardened Brexiteers. I myself are sceptical of the narrative (not to be confused with a COVID denier or anti-vaxxer), yet I’m also a very pro remainer. I don’t think the two issues can be linked as easily as you suggest.
The96er is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 19:29
  #2390 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 290
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Such as? the constant veiled suggestions make you sound like one of the 'tinfoil hat' brigade...

Strange that you wish to ignore the science bit regarding the peer review of testing.
racedo is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 20:12
  #2391 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 290
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
southside bobby

Ah the old "I believe in free speech" bit, only provided you agree with me and don't question anything the medical profession say that agrees with my viewpoints.

You are quite free to take any vaccine you like, others are quit free to question its "rigourous" testing, the detailing of its short and long term side effects and its impact. Amazingly how quickly a Govt that has shown full incompetence from the start, rushes approval through so quickly. I want to resume flying but a smiling snake salesman in a new suit and hair cut is still selling a snake.
racedo is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 20:18
  #2392 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 290
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1
I assume in that case you are strongly anti-Brexit and wish to see it reversed, as that is removing rights we already have (right to live or work in 27 other nations, right to stay +90 days etc).
The right to live and work still exists in the EU and will still exist in the 26 EU member states. The only requirement is that in common with other non EU countries is that if you wish to stay beyond minimum term or work then you apply for a Visa.
racedo is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 21:11
  #2393 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,840
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I imagine a few here will be very disappointed when we start getting back to a normal life so they can no longer peddle their conspiracy theories.

Last edited by LTNman; 2nd Dec 2020 at 22:36.
LTNman is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 21:35
  #2394 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: U.K
Posts: 782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And which conspiracy theories would these be ?, because as far as I can see on this forum there is a general discourse and a challenging of opinions and ideas. I'm not sure anybody on here has mentioned anything along the lines of "It's all a myth", "5G theories", "Aliens"..... and so on. I often feel that when people have to resort to belittling tags and insults to end discourse that they themselves lack the ability to engage/challenge/be open to other ways other thinking. It's the 'not only am I correct', but the 'you must be demonised' mantra that seems to have taken over all forms of social media.
The96er is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 21:44
  #2395 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,840
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hang on, someone called me vile the other day. I was still laughing an hour later so maybe they couldn’t engage.
LTNman is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 22:01
  #2396 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Uk
Posts: 238
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep that was me after you called all of those who dare to question you or the vaccine 'wimps'

You really need to grow up
Yeehaw22 is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 22:35
  #2397 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,840
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearly you haven’t taken on board The96er comments.

Vaccine rumours debunked: Microchips, 'altered DNA' and more https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/54893437

Last edited by LTNman; 3rd Dec 2020 at 04:25.
LTNman is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 08:25
  #2398 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Outer London
Age: 43
Posts: 600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racedo
The right to live and work still exists in the EU and will still exist in the 26 EU member states. The only requirement is that in common with other non EU countries is that if you wish to stay beyond minimum term or work then you apply for a Visa.
Quite, thank you for confirming that existing rights are indeed being lost.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 08:26
  #2399 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Durham
Age: 79
Posts: 302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Covid vaccine is free, however you probably will have to pay for the certificate.
oldart is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 08:33
  #2400 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Outer London
Age: 43
Posts: 600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The96er
That may be partially true within the political arena, but within my own circle of acquaintances, the ones who are a pro lockdown are also the amongst the most hardened Brexiteers. I myself are sceptical of the narrative (not to be confused with a COVID denier or anti-vaxxer), yet I’m also a very pro remainer. I don’t think the two issues can be linked as easily as you suggest.
I agree with you though what you say and and what I’ve said aren’t mutually exclusive. To be a ‘hardened Brexiteer’ and pro-lockdown is a consistent position because both involve loss or restriction of existing rights. Clearly there are far more ‘Brexiteers’ than there are hardcore ‘anti-maskers’. But the ‘freedom/rights protecters’ are overwhelmingly hardened Brexiteers and that is what I am saying is a contradictory position.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.