Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Manchester-2

Old 31st Jul 2018, 22:04
  #2101 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by ZOOKER View Post
The statistics posted by Scottie Dog are, as always, interesting. As opposed to pax departing to all these destinations, are there a complimentary set for arriving pax?

How many travellers, for each destination, start and finish their trips at EGCC, as opposed to those pax starting and finishing, 'at the other end', and going home again?

No real axe to grind, but as a 'human geographer', just curious as to where everyone's going?
This is a very interesting question. I would suspect that while the route figures at an aggregate level are commercially neutral (given they have to be reported to the government) the level of detail to answer your question is commercially sensitive. Therefore, the only data points available is experience, which is always a fun way to kill time at the airport or on the flight.

A passing ear to the languages spoken might give an indication, though I am fully aware people may just be speaking their mother tongue and I do not begrudge them this! Language and identity go hand in hand, and it doesn't give any evidence to their residence status. However, in the absence of anything else it's a fun way to pass the time.

As a very small sample: the flights to Charleroi are pretty balanced language group wise with a split of English, French and Flemish on the flight, so an even mixture of in and outbound.

Eindhoven on FR: I heard a lot of Dutch the past 4 times I took the flight, more so than English. Though weirdly the advertisement for lottery cards and Duty Free was in German. Therefore assume a bias towards inbound to MAN.

Amsterdam on KLM: heavily dominated by Far East traffic, non-native English speakers. Judging by volume of luggage checked in, possibly long term. Students returning home? Mixture inbound and outbound.

Amsterdam on easyJet/Flybe: English dominates, so imagine outbound tourism.

Cathay Pacific: hard to tell as it's a bigger plane, but English and Australian accents were common.

The flights to Orlando, though, appeared to be nearly 100% solidly local accents heading outbound.
boredintheairport is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 08:31
  #2102 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 37
Posts: 306
The statistics posted by Scottie Dog are, as always, interesting. As opposed to pax departing to all these destinations, are there a complimentary set for arriving pax?
Great point IMHO,one of the reason's MAN's US flights have faltered to a degree is that with Thomas Cook offering so many good deals to the US, the US legacies have taken a hit which means their ability to offer year round connectivity bringing in business and dollar spend in low season is further impacted. Norwegian does have some US POS but I would be willing to bet they, and Primera are heavily ex EU centric and hence taking money out of the country !
Happy to be proved wrong if someone can quantify?
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 09:16
  #2103 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Where the next project takes me
Posts: 103
This subject has always interested me over the years and - as 'boredintheairport' has mentioned - it's a good way to kill time on the journey.
I guess the answer is, it depends.

As already mentioned, if you are on one of the 'classic' sun routes to Majorca, the Costas or Orlando you can understandably expect near 100% UK nationals. However it has often surprised me how many foreign nationals are on other flights to/from Manchester. I remember waiting to board an EZY flight to Thessaloniki a couple of years back and listening to the languages and looking at passports, it was amazing to realize that this was not really a 'sun flight' as might be assumed, as there were not only plenty of Greeks but also Macedonians too (the FYROM kind).

Lots of Germans on LH flights etc. I would say a majority of Scandinavian flights have majority Scandies on board - Manchester's light seems to shine brightly in those parts.

Go further east and when traveling to eastern Europe destinations I have always been in the minority as a UK national. I would guess too that there are other routes (like the Iraqi flights) where there would be almost no UK citizens aboard.
My flights with Hainan have indicated around a 50:50 split (assumed) UK / Chinese in Business Class but it appears to be solidly Chinese down the back - although as always, it's difficult to tell which are Chinese nationals and which are British Chinese unless you see the passport..
What has surprised me most is the number of US citizens on our TATL flights even on TCX routes.
FFMAN is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 10:13
  #2104 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,070
Thanks for that very interesting analysis. I wonder what the splits would be at other airports apart from LHR/LGW.
inOban is online now  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 10:30
  #2105 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Scotland
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by inOban View Post
Thanks for that very interesting analysis. I wonder what the splits would be at other airports apart from LHR/LGW.
From my experience of GLA & EDI, the TATL are close to 80% US & CAN bascically due to the fall of the £ against the respective $s. Itís noticeable that TCX & VS/DL MCOs have had a huge increase in US nationals at Glasgow, where in the day it was single figures itís now around 60-100 pax per flight using the Florida services with corresponding drop in Brits visiting the Land of Mouse. Only Thomson Sanford being more or less solely Brits
GLAEDI is online now  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:00
  #2106 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Where the next project takes me
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by inOban View Post
Thanks for that very interesting analysis. I wonder what the splits would be at other airports apart from LHR/LGW.
It's not analysis - just my observations only.
Let's not do the other airports - it's the Manchester thread not GLA/EDI
FFMAN is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:06
  #2107 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,070
Apologies for going off topic. My interests are in transport in general rather than any particular airport.
inOban is online now  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:46
  #2108 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by FFMAN View Post
This subject has always interested me over the years and - as 'boredintheairport' has mentioned - it's a good way to kill time on the journey.
I guess the answer is, it depends.

As already mentioned, if you are on one of the 'classic' sun routes to Majorca, the Costas or Orlando you can understandably expect near 100% UK nationals. However it has often surprised me how many foreign nationals are on other flights to/from Manchester. I remember waiting to board an EZY flight to Thessaloniki a couple of years back and listening to the languages and looking at passports, it was amazing to realize that this was not really a 'sun flight' as might be assumed, as there were not only plenty of Greeks but also Macedonians too (the FYROM kind).

Lots of Germans on LH flights etc. I would say a majority of Scandinavian flights have majority Scandies on board - Manchester's light seems to shine brightly in those parts.

Go further east and when traveling to eastern Europe destinations I have always been in the minority as a UK national. I would guess too that there are other routes (like the Iraqi flights) where there would be almost no UK citizens aboard.
My flights with Hainan have indicated around a 50:50 split (assumed) UK / Chinese in Business Class but it appears to be solidly Chinese down the back - although as always, it's difficult to tell which are Chinese nationals and which are British Chinese unless you see the passport..
What has surprised me most is the number of US citizens on our TATL flights even on TCX routes.
Some of this is follow the diaspora: there's a big eastern European and Turkish diaspora in the North West, so flights to and from there always seem to be heavily VFR in both directions, hard to disentangle which way round.

I was surprised on a recent Barcelona flight to hear a lot of Spanish spoken, I had assumed it would be heavily outbound sun tourists.

You say that about Iraqi airways, and might say it about Saudia too, but when I've ended up sitting near the boarding queue for both I've heard a surprising number of English accents boarding. Appeared to be oil/industry workers, which makes sense.
boredintheairport is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:50
  #2109 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London
Posts: 2,962
I’ve flown to Bilbao and Granada from MAN a few times and there was a larger tilt towards Spanish nationals rather than Brits.
LAX_LHR is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 14:15
  #2110 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Valencia
Posts: 162
Similar experience on IB from MAD to MCR which is predominantly Spanish
FFHKG is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 22:45
  #2111 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 557
OK, let the speculation begin (and it is just that). Thomas Cook's Scandinavian arm are using the Hi-Fly A380. MT have two or even three flights from MAN to Orlando on certain days next summer. Not sure what the seating configuration is on the big bus but the thought that two of these could be combined on a single A380 thus releasing a couple of A330s has got to have crossed someone's mind other than mine. Lots of other factors to consider of course.
roverman is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 23:09
  #2112 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 557
Originally Posted by RAS_2001 View Post
Presumably the upgrade to the -1000 will maximize the load factor and profitability of the route. As you say, a 94.2% load factor is quite impressive considering how the route itself was called off the first time round, especially since Cathay were using the B747-300/400 back in the day. The capacity of a single -1000 is 366 compared to the 900's 280.

Think it's actually 334 seats in the 3-class A35X they'll be using on European runs, but still a good increase over the A359. Currently only showing the up-gauge for Dec-Feb but surely got to be a longer term capacity rise in the pipeline, given the high load factors which this route has sustained.
roverman is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 23:14
  #2113 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Manchester
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by roverman View Post
Think it's actually 334 seats in the 3-class A35X they'll be using on European runs, but still a good increase over the A359. Currently only showing the up-gauge for Dec-Feb but surely got to be a longer term capacity rise in the pipeline, given the high load factors which this route has sustained.
Yes, however that is high density.
RAS_2001 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 23:32
  #2114 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: A warm pub
Posts: 1,139
Originally Posted by roverman View Post
OK, let the speculation begin (and it is just that). Thomas Cook's Scandinavian arm are using the Hi-Fly A380. MT have two or even three flights from MAN to Orlando on certain days next summer. Not sure what the seating configuration is on the big bus but the thought that two of these could be combined on a single A380 thus releasing a couple of A330s has got to have crossed someone's mind other than mine. Lots of other factors to consider of course.
Itís approx 400 Economy, 60 Business and 12 First IIRC, same config as itís former life in SQ, so unless Kestrel are willing to swallow a serious cost on free upgrades, totally unsuitable for their operation I would think bar emergency cover like itís doing for them now at Rhodes after the airports IT system collapsed.

And credit where itís due, pax badly affected by the IT issue at the airport, and rather than pulling a LOCO ďoutside of our controlĒ move, they hired a super to get their customers home. Well done Thomas Cook.
Una Due Tfc is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 10:08
  #2115 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Manchester
Posts: 44
I'm highly doubtful as to whether we will see a hi-fly 388 in Manchester anytime soon. However, that's not to rule out the possibility of it operating TransAtlantic routes from Manchester i.e. flights to the Caribbean, or destinations like LAX and SFO.
RAS_2001 is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 10:08
  #2116 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: leeds
Age: 59
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by RAS_2001 View Post
Presumably the upgrade to the -1000 will maximize the load factor and profitability of the route. As you say, a 94.2% load factor is quite impressive considering how the route itself was called off the first time round, especially since Cathay were using the B747-300/400 back in the day. The capacity of a single -1000 is 366 compared to the 900's 280.
Just had my CX 216 booking on Monday Dec 10 to HK cancelled offering me 9 Dec, 11 Dec, or via Paris on 10 December. Dont know if it is the only change yet?
forbesd is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 12:11
  #2117 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: stockport
Posts: 74
You only need an A330 to go tech for a couple of days and it would sort it very easily
chaps1954 is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 12:35
  #2118 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Manchester
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by chaps1954 View Post
You only need an A330 to go tech for a couple of days and it would sort it very easily
Good one...

chaps,
RAS_2001 is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 12:55
  #2119 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: In front of a computer
Posts: 1,787
If you are driving in from the east tomorrow I believe Ringway Road (past the Moss Nook) will be closed and airport traffic will be using a part of the new dual carriageway from near the Shell station. Best take it slow as there will be lots of confused passengers getting lost down Shadow Moss Rd
ETOPS is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 19:15
  #2120 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by forbesd View Post
Just had my CX 216 booking on Monday Dec 10 to HK cancelled offering me 9 Dec, 11 Dec, or via Paris on 10 December. Dont know if it is the only change yet?
CX have a series of one-off cancellations over the Winter 18-19 period. Here's MAN schedule for December. It looks like you had some bad luck there!

01DEC18-28DEC18 MTWTFSS MANCHESTER /HONG KONG
11DEC 1234567 MAN HKG 1130# 0705 CX 216 351*C
09DEC 1234567 MAN HKG 1130# 0705 CX 216 351*C

(sorry, I can't format this any better - it just shows that the current schedule ends on 9 Dec and commences again on 11 Dec)

CDG/FRA/MXP/LGW and even LHR have short term or one-off cancellations through this period too.
110Cornets is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.