PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2018, 22:04
boredintheairport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOOKER
The statistics posted by Scottie Dog are, as always, interesting. As opposed to pax departing to all these destinations, are there a complimentary set for arriving pax?

How many travellers, for each destination, start and finish their trips at EGCC, as opposed to those pax starting and finishing, 'at the other end', and going home again?

No real axe to grind, but as a 'human geographer', just curious as to where everyone's going?
This is a very interesting question. I would suspect that while the route figures at an aggregate level are commercially neutral (given they have to be reported to the government) the level of detail to answer your question is commercially sensitive. Therefore, the only data points available is experience, which is always a fun way to kill time at the airport or on the flight.

A passing ear to the languages spoken might give an indication, though I am fully aware people may just be speaking their mother tongue and I do not begrudge them this! Language and identity go hand in hand, and it doesn't give any evidence to their residence status. However, in the absence of anything else it's a fun way to pass the time.

As a very small sample: the flights to Charleroi are pretty balanced language group wise with a split of English, French and Flemish on the flight, so an even mixture of in and outbound.

Eindhoven on FR: I heard a lot of Dutch the past 4 times I took the flight, more so than English. Though weirdly the advertisement for lottery cards and Duty Free was in German. Therefore assume a bias towards inbound to MAN.

Amsterdam on KLM: heavily dominated by Far East traffic, non-native English speakers. Judging by volume of luggage checked in, possibly long term. Students returning home? Mixture inbound and outbound.

Amsterdam on easyJet/Flybe: English dominates, so imagine outbound tourism.

Cathay Pacific: hard to tell as it's a bigger plane, but English and Australian accents were common.

The flights to Orlando, though, appeared to be nearly 100% solidly local accents heading outbound.