Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Ryanair - 9

Old 13th Jul 2017, 18:33
  #3961 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by fairflyer View Post
The fear is that the UK government will use access to UK market for aviation as a bargaining chip in their armory of 'bargaining chips' and therefore what we end up with will be unresolved and unclear until the 11th hour and 59th minute, at best.
Then goodbye to the need for a new runway at Heathrow...............
racedo is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 18:36
  #3962 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by 116d View Post
What was interesting was his swipes about a lack of goodwill within the EU towards the UK being a barrier towards a deal and accusations of France and Germany doing one over the UK when given an opportunity.
Surprises me not at all.

He may be the one shouting loudest but given that WW of IAG was also at said meeting he indicated nothing to disagree with MOL.

IAG will find itself impacted as well given EU Ownership rules, EU airline had to be over 50% EU owned.................... UK will I believe want to operate same criteria.
racedo is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 21:01
  #3963 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,101
Originally Posted by AerRyan View Post
Or do what all airlines do, allow bookings, and the discontinue booking closer to the time if a resolution has not been made.
I think the outcry is quite different if a couple of flights are involved or thousands of flights.

The main issue, however, is that the airlines will not want to have aircraft sit idle on the ground. So at some point when they cannot plan ahead they will need to enact a Plan B - and once that plan is implemented, no capacity will be left that could be redirected when the ship of fools in Downing Street come to a last minute solution. Hence MOL remark that they will shift capacity away from the UK at some point.

Originally Posted by AerRyan View Post
Few people book a flight that's a year away.
There is always a group of people who book as soon as flights are released. Hence the frequent question "When will airline X release its winter/summer schedule"?

Originally Posted by AerRyan View Post
Also, I can't see any Ryanair routes for sale for next summer.
That's why MOL was mentioning September 2018. However, most airlines release flights 360 days in advance. Try BA, for example.
virginblue is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 21:11
  #3964 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,582
I think only longhaul legacy carriers do. The European shorthaul LCCs operate to a much shorter, more flexible timescale.
inOban is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2017, 08:27
  #3965 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chobham
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by inOban View Post
I think only longhaul legacy carriers do. The European shorthaul LCCs operate to a much shorter, more flexible timescale.
Yes, however, the schedule planning kicks off well over a year ahead of release of schedules - in many cases up to 18 months ahead of first flight.
fairflyer is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2017, 08:31
  #3966 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,582
Planning yes, release no. And with the uncertainty over Italia, there must be some short-term contingency planning going on...
inOban is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2017, 08:52
  #3967 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,101
I think only longhaul legacy carriers do. The European shorthaul LCCs operate to a much shorter, more flexible timescale.
Almost all non-LCC do.

LCCs tend to open bookings later, but not much more. Ryanair and Eurowings most recently opened booking for winter 17/18 in early March, i.e. 7 1/2 months before. easyjet in the past up to 11 months. However, they do not start scheduling only a week before they open bookings.
virginblue is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2017, 18:49
  #3968 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 288
Twitter user who made anonymous bomb threat against Ryanair must pay ?200k in damages - Independent.ie

Nice win here and Twitter user should now be on US No Fly list so guess he will never get to Europe.
racedo is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2017, 19:36
  #3969 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,455
Always have QM2!
AerRyan is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2017, 20:01
  #3970 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by AerRyan View Post
Always have QM2!
Lol
After paying that fare even the Woolwich Ferry would be expensive............
racedo is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2017, 20:04
  #3971 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,455
Not as expensive as the settlement they have to pay Ryanair!

I love outcomes like this, people get away with too much.
AerRyan is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2017, 23:43
  #3972 (permalink)  
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 64
Posts: 9,432
Interesting:
Ryanair wins £220,000 from Twitter user who posted terror threat | The Independent
Every character in Brian Lake’s 130-character tweet has cost him £1,700
PAXboy is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2017, 01:09
  #3973 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Asia
Posts: 2,374
£55 000 in costs and legal fees for Ryanair. A worthwhile investment, assuming it won't be recovered, even if it only makes one other idiot think twice from pulling a stunt like this.

This amount pales in comparison to the cost of a real incident with aircraft grounded and massive disruptions.

Definitely a new addition to the no fly list.
Metro man is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2017, 13:54
  #3974 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 957
Bad publicity on Ryanair's random seat fiasco must be generating a lot of negative energy for them and hurting their brand. Wish it wasn't the case.
Sober Lark is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2017, 14:01
  #3975 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,455
Ah here, have you seen the 'bad publicity' (AKA O'Learys good publicity) Ryanair has had through the years?
AerRyan is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2017, 21:17
  #3976 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,188
Bad publicity on Ryanair's random seat fiasco must be generating a lot of negative energy for them and hurting their brand. Wish it wasn't the case.
It's been in the media for around 6 weeks and now sign of slowing down and they appear to be getting more irritated when been questioned about it by media or even people online.
EI-EIDW is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2017, 08:13
  #3977 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: France
Posts: 90
Yesterday on an Irish radio programme RyR's statement was -

"the reason there are no "good" seats is they are booked (from 2€, repeated several times in the press release) other seats are allocated "randomly"

So, as expected, if you buy you get what you want, if you don't buy you get allocated randomly...

Move on, nothing to see here.
barrymah is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2017, 08:51
  #3978 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: manchester
Posts: 268
Originally Posted by barrymah View Post
Yesterday on an Irish radio programme RyR's statement was -

"the reason there are no "good" seats is they are booked (from 2€, repeated several times in the press release) other seats are allocated "randomly"

So, as expected, if you buy you get what you want, if you don't buy you get allocated randomly...

Move on, nothing to see here.


Except that's not true. They don't allocate randomly. They allocate you deliberately into poor seats, close together, usually the middle of the three. There is nothing 'random' about it.


On my last two flights, i saw a large number of people simply swapping seats once everyone was on to sit next to the people they were flying with. At some point it's surely going to cost Ryanair time and therefore money.
GavinC is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2017, 18:25
  #3979 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Under the flight path
Posts: 2,400
With EasyJet having acquired a licence in Austria, will Ryanair acquire a UK licence in preparation for Brexit, or do they already have one (Buzz)?
LGS6753 is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2017, 18:49
  #3980 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 8,378
They have used London European Airways when they took over that airline and kept its name.
LTNman is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.