PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Pilots : The fight back begins.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 10:10
CW247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have written to my MP (Labour) and left him a voicemail on his Parliament voicemail, here is what I wrote:

Dear MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR LOCATION

I left a voicemail for you. I am a constituent of yours based in LOCATION. By profession, I am an Airline Pilot. I like so many others have become unemployable due to Brexit because of the UK government’s complete mishandling of aviation related affairs.

Since Brexit, the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) has effectively null and voided our flying licenses meaning we can no longer operate aircraft on behalf of European carriers. Yes, UK nationals no longer have automatic employment rights to Europe but this is not the subject matter here. Allow me to explain…Our European licenses became "UK only" licenses overnight and we are now barred from flying aircraft we were happily doing so just 8 months ago even for European airlines with a presence (a base of operation) In the UK! Such operators are allowed to operate and expand their business in the UK. Though they can only employ those with UK working rights, they are still required to (by EASA) to only hire pilots with valid European licenses. The resulting situation is as follows:
  • If you are a European national with pre-settled status, you are employable by such companies in the UK
  • If you are a British or Irish national with a European license (for some reason you took the gamble to convert), you are also employable
  • If you are a British national with a UK license, you are not employable by such airlines.
    • Only an airline with a UK AOC (Air Operators Charter) can hire you (the same airlines that are downsizing or bleeding right now)
The week and ineffectual UK CAA has granted European license holders special approvals so that they can continue to fly UK registered aircraft. However, the opposite situation where UK pilot license holders are able to operate European aircraft is completely missing.

Robert Courts MP, Aviation and Martime Minister does not seem to acknowledge the gravity of the situation he's government has created and neither does our Transport Secretary, Grant Shapps. My ask from you today is to take this question to parliament and ask them why they have presided over such a terrible and one-way deal that locks British pilots out of jobs in their home country. Surely, it is within their power to threaten EASA to demand they reinstate equal rights or their (European license holder) pilots lose access to our job market?

Here is more from the pilot community:

Ryanair experienced pilot recruitment - UK licenses

Titan

U.K. parliamentary petition

EASA-to-UK pilot licence conversion

UK ATPL to EASA - moving on

Regards…