Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

British Airways Direct Entry Pilot

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

British Airways Direct Entry Pilot

Old 23rd Feb 2024, 10:15
  #821 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: England
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, can anyone that has passed the recruitment process back end of last year/ early this year/ anyone on the inside of BA shed any light on how long weíre expected to wait in the holdpool currently?
JackyP is offline  
Old 27th Feb 2024, 08:57
  #822 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lady Speedbird,

Yes I was. Unfortunately I’ve missed that boat now. If my current sim wasn’t so damn expensive to hire (long range business jet) I would just convert now by doing a UK ATPL skills test. That’s all I need. Unfortunately my pockets aren’t that deep.

I wonder if I could just go to an ATO and get a basic me-ir back at a flying school.
maxed-out is offline  
Old 27th Feb 2024, 10:05
  #823 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by New_Pilot
I am also interested.

There seems to be a fair number of applicants interested in this. If anyone does have information related to the assessments it would be beneficial if its a public post as it would help a lot of other people as well. Thank you in advance!
Did you get any response to this? I am also interested!
Jamiesonmj is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2024, 10:26
  #824 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamiesonmj
Did you get any response to this? I am also interested!
Itís all in here buddy, nobody is replying to these requests because you need to do the homework, it has been shared several times in detail. So 42 pages of it and search function button. Good luck 😉
Raph737 is online now  
Old 29th Feb 2024, 09:58
  #825 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raph737
Itís all in here buddy, nobody is replying to these requests because you need to do the homework, it has been shared several times in detail. So 42 pages of it and search function button. Good luck 😉
Completely endorse that.Some time ago on the previous BA thread,I read through 196 pages,making notes.
It paid off.
Phantom4 is offline  
Old 29th Feb 2024, 13:39
  #826 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Above
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! has anyone been offered a position as a EU national? How does the visa sponsorship (if that's a thing) work?
Inaere is offline  
Old 29th Feb 2024, 14:28
  #827 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: somewhere in the middle
Posts: 338
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can't be bothered to look through this thread for generic advice, you're going to have a bad time at BA.
thetimesreader84 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2024, 11:48
  #828 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Centre of Universe
Posts: 370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi what's the deal with 'reserve' (month?) at BA - notice periods, are you on continuous standby, do you just get the weekly rest etc
Thanks
Twiglet1 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2024, 13:13
  #829 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On SH a reserve block is 6 days long with two fixed days off before and one after. Expect to be contactable up to 8pm the day before and either be assigned a trip, home standby or airport standby. Some periods can be very quiet some you can work every day. In practice, things are generally assigned earlier than 8pm and rarely changed. It is also possible to have a preference for certain length of trips or more standby etc. Not always granted but seems to work ok when it's quiet.

LH reserve periods are 10 days long with four fixed days of either at the beginning or the end. Only difference is that there is no airport standby on LH.
yanny is online now  
Old 1st Mar 2024, 13:41
  #830 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yanny
On SH a reserve block is 6 days long with two fixed days off before and one after. Expect to be contactable up to 8pm the day before and either be assigned a trip, home standby or airport standby. Some periods can be very quiet some you can work every day. In practice, things are generally assigned earlier than 8pm and rarely changed. It is also possible to have a preference for certain length of trips or more standby etc. Not always granted but seems to work ok when it's quiet.

LH reserve periods are 10 days long with four fixed days of either at the beginning or the end. Only difference is that there is no airport standby on LH.
Interesting, thanks for the information. So for a commuter that is less than 1 hour flight away how would this generally work? (not very well I assume) If it is generally 8pm the night before then you could stay at your home and get the last flight to London (which there are a lot). How late can they call you for a flight the next day? Or is it possible to call on the same day?
flyerflyer1 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2024, 14:06
  #831 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South East
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not designed for commuters, so you have to plan on being near Heathrow for the full duration of the reserve block, that's the official answer. Anything else would be questionable.
HidekiTojo is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2024, 16:00
  #832 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Commuters should plan on being within the vicinity of heathrow, both the night before standby starts, and on the day of any HSB. You can be called up until 8pm for an early start the following day. There have been audits in the past where commuters have flown in on the last flight, and BA have deemed they have had insufficient rest. Disciplinary action has been taken, and in some cases, where long haul commuters have flown in on the day of a flight, their contract has been terminated. Be warned!
As a DEP long haul pilot you should probably plan on a 10day standby block every 3-4 months
SkyRocket10 is online now  
Old 1st Mar 2024, 18:34
  #833 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyRocket10
Air Commuters should plan on being within the vicinity of heathrow, both the night before standby starts, and on the day of any HSB. You can be called up until 8pm for an early start the following day. There have been audits in the past where commuters have flown in on the last flight, and BA have deemed they have had insufficient rest. Disciplinary action has been taken, and in some cases, where long haul commuters have flown in on the day of a flight, their contract has been terminated. Be warned!
As a DEP long haul pilot you should probably plan on a 10day standby block every 3-4 months
Thanks for the warning. I am not trying to navigate FTLs and operate illegally, only to figure out how it works and what a normal example is. Thank you for the information on the 10 day standby block, I am assuming that reserve and HSB are different and operate on different FTLs anyway. Any other information about rosters that you think is pertinent is always welcome thanks.
flyerflyer1 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2024, 20:34
  #834 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flyerflyer1
Thanks for the warning. I am not trying to navigate FTLs and operate illegally, only to figure out how it works and what a normal example is. Thank you for the information on the 10 day standby block, I am assuming that reserve and HSB are different and operate on different FTLs anyway. Any other information about rosters that you think is pertinent is always welcome thanks.
A reserve duty assignment must be notified by 8pm the day before. They CAN change it till 8pm the night before but it is generally pretty stable 2 days out.
A duty can include a flight, day off, home standby (2hr callout) or airport standby (SH only).
I think you'll do one every other month as junior LH (i certainly did last year!). Susceptibility to being assigned reserve is "banded" meaning pilots get double or triple points with more years in the company. But anyone can bid for reserve which can be a useful way of getting a few particular days off.
White Van Driver is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2024, 21:38
  #835 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by White Van Driver
A reserve duty assignment must be notified by 8pm the day before. They CAN change it till 8pm the night before but it is generally pretty stable 2 days out.
A duty can include a flight, day off, home standby (2hr callout) or airport standby (SH only).
I think you'll do one every other month as junior LH (i certainly did last year!). Susceptibility to being assigned reserve is "banded" meaning pilots get double or triple points with more years in the company. But anyone can bid for reserve which can be a useful way of getting a few particular days off.
Again thanks for the information, how would a reserve block work towards the cap of hours needed per month? What happens in the 10 days if you get days off and stbys? Would that mean you need to make it up the following month or does it just magically end up working out through the system in the end? It also sounds like experience in the system is going to be the main way to understand how it works.
flyerflyer1 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2024, 22:27
  #836 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Slough, UK
Age: 35
Posts: 281
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each day of the reserve block is given a notional credit for CAP calculation purposes during roster building. Your actual duties will attract the correct credit for the trip or standby duty and the company cannot exceed a total credit for that reserve block without paying you NCP. The figures vary slightly between SH and LH.

In other words, you donít need to Ďmake upí work if you have a quiet reserve. Youíll just receive slightly less in flying pay and allowances as you wonít have flown much but your basic pay will be unaffected.
champair79 is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 05:50
  #837 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flyerflyer1
Again thanks for the information, how would a reserve block work towards the cap of hours needed per month? What happens in the 10 days if you get days off and stbys? Would that mean you need to make it up the following month or does it just magically end up working out through the system in the end? It also sounds like experience in the system is going to be the main way to understand how it works.
champair has described it well - I'll just add that the reserve block credit is exactly Cap/days in the month down to the minute.
So if cap=90hrs in April, the reserve block gets 90/30=3hrs per day. The block is 14 days (4 fixed days off and 10 reserve available days) so the whole reserve is worth 42hrs of credit on my example.
White Van Driver is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 06:52
  #838 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Austria
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyRocket10
Air Commuters should plan on being within the vicinity of heathrow, both the night before standby starts, and on the day of any HSB.
As a commuting junior FO on LH with those standby periods, is it still reasonable to expect that it is possible to spend less than 183 days a year in the country for tax purposes ?
Bah76f is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 11:13
  #839 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 444
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah76f
As a commuting junior FO on LH with those standby periods, is it still reasonable to expect that it is possible to spend less than 183 days a year in the country for tax purposes ?
Would it make a difference? I'd have thought as a PAYE employee, your tax is deducted at source, regardless of where you were?
A320LGW is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 14:42
  #840 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 6,547
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It may make a difference as to whether you are considered resident in the UK tax purposes or not, and as a result exactly how much gets taken by the UK authorities through PAYE.
wiggy is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.