Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Flybe

Old 23rd Nov 2018, 15:19
  #401 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: LHR and beyond
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post
Blind leading the blind was my immediate reaction.
Don't be such a
fast cruiser is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 16:19
  #402 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Botswana
Posts: 703
Virgin’s proven track record at losing money alongside Flybe’s? (The two airlines historically have sketchy records of profitability and historically bankrolled by sugar daddies, both of which no longer there). I’d hardly think that’s an unfair description. (And you won’t find anyone more pro Flybe than me).

Last edited by RexBanner; 23rd Nov 2018 at 20:54.
RexBanner is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 21:53
  #403 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Spain
Posts: 43
VS regardless is continuing to operate successfully with albeit smaller than many but great presence. This injection into FlyBe has to be good news for the VS for connectivity and good news for Flybe to get a different direction.

An option has to be better than nothing. Anyhow - FlyBe’s current strategy is simply not working so better to have it shrink and re grow.... either way it needs to change and someone interested in it - in one way or another has to be good news......

Surely you cannot expect them to inject money and keep running with out cuts or changes as the model at present is simply unsustainable ........
nightfright is offline  
Old 11th May 2019, 12:25
  #404 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 522
Gone fairly quiet at Flybe considering the recent restructuring. Has the dust settled and has there been much effect as a result of the change of ownership?
Okavango is offline  
Old 11th May 2019, 16:38
  #405 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Age: 35
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by Okavango View Post
Gone fairly quiet at Flybe considering the recent restructuring. Has the dust settled and has there been much effect as a result of the change of ownership?
awaiting final European nonsense before they can implement or announce any changes. Should be done by July then will start changes possibly with new virgin style name
plane-driver is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 17:04
  #406 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 31
Do they really check your atpl average?

I got 84 hehe
IFLYyouBREATH is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 17:33
  #407 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 267
If you are a fATPL with no experience, yes.
Reversethrustset is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 17:52
  #408 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
Posts: 30
I’m considering applying DEC to be closer to home, I’m well aware of the many flaws that working for Flybe entails but just wondering if you are effectively a local near a base, if it’s a happy work life balance, dare I say it!
flyboy146 is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 18:57
  #409 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 267
Yep, it is what it is. The problem with pilots is they'll whinge their tits off at the first given opportunity. If you join you're joining a multi base, regional airline. Things WILL go wrong, you WILL be disrupted and you WILL work hard. You can have a life if you go in with your eyes open and remember you should know what you're signing up for, if you don't you haven't done your research.
Reversethrustset is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 19:41
  #410 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Anywhere crewing send me
Posts: 9
TBH expect to work a very hard roster. Not massively long days but I didn’t get a full weekend off last year from March - Oct. The roster is of course random and you’ll be VERY lucky to get more than 3 days off in a row. In some cases expect 1 day off in 9. It is a nice place to work with nice people but that only goes so far.
Bob8052 is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 19:44
  #411 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Anywhere crewing send me
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Reversethrustset View Post
Yep, it is what it is. The problem with pilots is they'll whinge their tits off at the first given opportunity. If you join you're joining a multi base, regional airline. Things WILL go wrong, you WILL be disrupted and you WILL work hard. You can have a life if you go in with your eyes open and remember you should know what you're signing up for, if you don't you haven't done your research.
And it only took me 45 mins to do just that!
Bob8052 is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 20:41
  #412 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 95
Terrible, terrible work life balance. I knew plenty of 20-30 something year old captains opting for part time contracts to try and achieve more of a balance.
vrb03kt is online now  
Old 21st May 2019, 20:49
  #413 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Somewhere in the sky
Posts: 3
other possibilities

I would recommend maybe RYR? 5000 euros and you're in with a normal contract. Not those weird contractor contracts. But... Flybe... specially now that everyone's hiring... not really.
montema is offline  
Old 22nd May 2019, 07:20
  #414 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 267
I found it fine and I was there a long time and flew both fleets in both seats in a fair few bases. You're working for an airline, not a 9-5 office job. Show me a full time job as flight crew that makes pilots happy, they are few and far between.
Reversethrustset is offline  
Old 22nd May 2019, 17:35
  #415 (permalink)  
WMB
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mordor :(
Age: 48
Posts: 60
Reversethrustset, I bet if they cut you in half it would say Flybe all the way through ����. While what you say carries a lot of truth, I must admit the recent mass exodus of flight crew has not helped. I only hope they can turn things around as the last thing I want is to move away from home, and work for a low cost ��������
WMB is offline  
Old 22nd May 2019, 21:22
  #416 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
Posts: 30
Thanks for the responses. What are the chances of being based in SOU or EXT as a CPT? Are part-time contracts easy to come by? I haven't heard great things about the Flybe rostering, but to be quite honest, I haven't come across a single airline where the crew doesn't complain about it. It's what each individual makes of it, but if 1 day off in 9 is true, that is brutal.
flyboy146 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:26
  #417 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by WMB View Post
Reversethrustset, I bet if they cut you in half it would say Flybe all the way through


No not really, just an understanding of what industry I'm part of, it was my choice to join them and I did so knowing what I was getting into, there's no point moaning about it afterwards. How many Ryanair pilots sign on the dotted line then whinge how bad they are treated? Well yeah, but you signed up for it armed with the knowledge but if you didn't have the prior knowledge then you haven't done your research. Don't get me wrong, being continually disrupted or continuously night stopping can wear you down but the sooner people accept that there will be the odd disruption and the odd night stop the happier you'll be, it's the same as standby duties, the amount of crew that whinge they've been called off standby is mind blowing, the sooner you train your brain that if you manage to survive the day without being called and you get to stay at home is actually a bonus the happier you'll be. Flybe isn't perfect, but accept it for what it is, it's a multi base, regional airline, things will go wrong, you will night stop, you will work hard, it's the nature of the beast, that of course doesn't mean you shouldn't fight for change. In the long run, it'll do your blood pressure the world of good.
Reversethrustset is offline  
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:48
  #418 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by flyboy146 View Post
I haven't come across a single airline where the crew doesn't complain about it. It's what each individual makes of it, but if 1 day off in 9 is true, that is brutal.
I have never, ever been rostered 1 day off in 9, that would assume a 4 on, 1 off, 4 on or something reasonably similar. I've had the odd 4/1/3 but that was quite rare, however, they are beyond desperate for crew so if there is the odd 4/1/4 then that is brutal but the good thing is they have a pretty robust scheduling agreement so you'll still get your required days off in a calendar month, you can also report a fatigue roster once issued. The rostering and crewing department are in a fight, you couldn't pay me enough to do their job, they get a bad press from the crew but look at it from their perspective, once next month's jigsaw has been built there are still so many missing pieces. I've not long left Flybe, trust me it isn't all bad and I hear exactly the same gripes at my new company as I did at Flybe. As the ol' saying goes, most airlines are the same, it's just the shit's a different colour. (Disclaimer alert, I don't mean my new company is shit, I love it)
The only thing I will say is that the company and management forced me to leave a job I enjoyed, I have zero respect for the senior management, they have screwed the workforce over and forced many great people to leave. The job was great, the people were greater, but a litany of miss management has put it where it is today. Go in with your eyes open, embrace all that is good, but you are and always will be an expendable asset.
Reversethrustset is offline  
Old 23rd May 2019, 06:14
  #419 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by Reversethrustset View Post
I have never, ever been rostered 1 day off in 9, that would assume a 4 on, 1 off, 4 on or something reasonably similar. I've had the odd 4/1/3 but that was quite rare, however, they are beyond desperate for crew so if there is the odd 4/1/4 then that is brutal but the good thing is they have a pretty robust scheduling agreement so you'll still get your required days off in a calendar month, you can also report a fatigue roster once issued. The rostering and crewing department are in a fight, you couldn't pay me enough to do their job, they get a bad press from the crew but look at it from their perspective, once next month's jigsaw has been built there are still so many missing pieces. I've not long left Flybe, trust me it isn't all bad and I hear exactly the same gripes at my new company as I did at Flybe. As the ol' saying goes, most airlines are the same, it's just the shit's a different colour. (Disclaimer alert, I don't mean my new company is shit, I love it)
The only thing I will say is that the company and management forced me to leave a job I enjoyed, I have zero respect for the senior management, they have screwed the workforce over and forced many great people to leave. The job was great, the people were greater, but a litany of miss management has put it where it is today. Go in with your eyes open, embrace all that is good, but you are and always will be an expendable asset.
Well I have to ask what base you were in?
Flybe been massively under crewed. Guys with 15 years experience leaving and more to go. Last year has been horrendous I had 6 on 1 off 5 on at the worst few times last year 4 1 4 that was going around a lot last summer expect the same this year.
As a full timer you are meant to have 115 days off a year excluding holidays. Heard many missed this and received payment instead so worked Days Off with out being asked. At the moment they have been paying double day off pay to keep everything afloat. Crews away a lot worst I heard 18 days with 2 young ones.
However.
98% of the time no deep nights.
Small airport bases and can often get from car to crew room in 10 mins.
Feels like a day out with mates most of the time.
Pay is not bad for Captain.

What would sort a lot is fixed roster.
Airline industry is not 9-5, itís 24/7. As said above a lot seem to forget that and moaners will moan what ever.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.