Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

KLM resumes daily flights from Amsterdam to Madrid,Barcelona and Rome.

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

KLM resumes daily flights from Amsterdam to Madrid,Barcelona and Rome.

Old 5th May 2020, 02:49
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if the case fatality rate is proven to be as low as 1%, an appreciably high percentage of patients as high as 50-60% are quite miserable for as long as several weeks.
Lake1952 is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 03:03
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: UK
Age: 70
Posts: 288
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have a dog that wasnít scared of traffic.
Pinkman is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 06:20
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 724
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back to subject:
klm was flying a minimal schedule consisting of about 85 intercontinental flights per week, and about 20 european flights per day. The euro flights are now being expanded.
Check out this list of automatically updated operating flights:
https://jdenuijl.com/flights/index.p...ate=2020-05-05
fox niner is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 06:52
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 297
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Australian government ministers are saying the international travel ban could last well into 2021.

There won't be an airline industry left.
Guptar is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 07:05
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Borders
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People really do seem to want to stick their fingers in their ears and not face the inconvenient truth, which is that the world economy has been destroyed to protect against a threat that causes at worst a mild illness in the vast majority of people. Most of us will get it at some point because strict control measures cannot be imposed indefinitely without a total breakdown of society. There is no scientific consensus that either effective treatment or an effective vaccine will be found. It is something that we are going to have to learn to live with, and we will have to accept that some of us will die from it. In the meantime, the direct and indirect impact of the lockdown measures imposed will be felt for generations to come.
guy_incognito is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 07:55
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: australia
Posts: 172
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by guy_incognito
People really do seem to want to stick their fingers in their ears and not face the inconvenient truth, which is that the world economy has been destroyed to protect against a threat that causes at worst a mild illness in the vast majority of people. Most of us will get it at some point because strict control measures cannot be imposed indefinitely without a total breakdown of society. There is no scientific consensus that either effective treatment or an effective vaccine will be found. It is something that we are going to have to learn to live with, and we will have to accept that some of us will die from it. In the meantime, the direct and indirect impact of the lockdown measures imposed will be felt for generations to come.
The ones who are sticking their fingers in their ears are the likes of you! It isn't just those over 60 who are more susceptible, there is more than enough literature out there pointing this out. From babies to the elderly, I guess these idiots also do not have relatives who would be affected? I work with three pilots who need to be careful and two of them have grandchildren who need to be very careful.

If you feel you're not at risk, please go out there and do your utmost to get it, I hope it's a life threatening event for you.

Last edited by exfocx; 5th May 2020 at 08:11.
exfocx is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 08:38
  #27 (permalink)  
ZFT
N4790P
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 73
Posts: 2,272
Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by exfocx
The ones who are sticking their fingers in their ears are the likes of you! It isn't just those over 60 who are more susceptible, there is more than enough literature out there pointing this out. From babies to the elderly, I guess these idiots also do not have relatives who would be affected? I work with three pilots who need to be careful and two of them have grandchildren who need to be very careful.

If you feel you're not at risk, please go out there and do your utmost to get it, I hope it's a life threatening event for you.
I recall he is married to a nurse so maybe be a tad nicer?
ZFT is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 08:38
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 0
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good grief, the imbalance is astonishing . KLM, where ? Why ? Heard of Social distancing ? How you gonna do that in the check-in area, after check- in area . pre- boarding area, on board area ? Crew ? Capt & F/o to be fully kitted or at least 2 metres apart, or is it one metre...at all times ? Cain crew in the galley. really ? My Daily read, yesterday, showed BA flight full of punters, three in a row. Cabin crew in masks & gloves but bumping into each-other. Blimey. I do , almost, give up. And where, why. Are we still not in global lock-down ? Flights banned ? Easing up I know, but, look, here's the thing. The flu virus in the N Hemisphere is over and that particular virus hates warm weather. That's why the infection curves a flattening out. Watch out Southern hemisphere because what is quite normal will be described by the WHO as "The second wave " !

Nasty little EXFOXCX, death wish ? You sound a lovely little fella . How many folk do you know have died of the Virus. I mean Covid 19 ? Name one please . I mean,listen up Foxy, I mean, OF THE COVID 19 and NOT.............."related, underlying symptoms"...........Anyone ? NO, didn't think so. C'mon, just one. I know of no-one. People I ask the same question to know of,..........NO-ONE.....! You might have C-19 on the death Certificate but I bet there were " underlying symptoms" .

People get the flu, every year, in huge numbers. Medically challenged (other symptoms ) die. In HUGE numbers. Was it the flue or underlying conditions that could not resist the flu. Think about it.

Foxy. Cheer up. I am in the Age over 70 threatened group. I survived Pneumonia shortly after birth which has left me prone to flu, Bronchial problems, couple of near-death pneumonias etc , but still here. Didn't get CV-19. But I think this winter, I will, again, get the flu because no-one Social Distances with that silly little virus . To put a smile on that little Ozzzzzzzzzy face, this time, I might die too .

Landflap is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 09:14
  #29 (permalink)  
kpd
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: galway ireland
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodness me - ? death wishes and discussions on" just " losing a percentage of the population- what on earth do these comments have to do with KLM daily flights? I realise these are very difficult times for everyone and especially those losing jobs but maybe time for the moderators to get serious.
kpd is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 09:22
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Age: 58
Posts: 1,912
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kpd
Goodness me - ? death wishes and discussions on" just " losing a percentage of the population- what on earth do these comments have to do with KLM daily flights? I realise these are very difficult times for everyone and especially those losing jobs but maybe time for the moderators to get serious.
Thank you !
atakacs is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 09:40
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 704
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, life will never be completely free of threats. There are threats in going to mass gatherings (infection, getting crushed by the crowd, falling victim to a mass act of terrorism etc). There are threats to every other activity, including flying. And the solution is not to put all human activity on hold indefinitely and just sit there and wait until we die of something, be it a virus, a fall down the staircase or starvation. The solution is to learn to live with the threats and mitigate their consequences as far as practically possible while still having room for doing things. Just as in flying we accept the presence of threats and do our very best to mitigate them.

Nobody is claiming that the virus no longer exists. Sadly, that's not the case. But the world needs to get going sooner rather than later so as to avoid even greater losses. If you destroy the livelihoods of like 30% of the population just because their jobs rely on human contact or human movement, the resulting losses of life will be tremendous. Not in the last place because there will be nobody to support the state and put into the budget the money which could be used for healthcare or support of the unemployed.
PilotLZ is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 09:53
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by FreemaninHK
I am.

My friends are. Many are now planning next holidays. There is very little Ďfearí in my cohort; mostly frustration at why 99.9% of us need to suffer social and economically for the welfare of the weakest 1%
UK population in 2019 = 66.55 million
UK Covid-19 deaths as of today = 28734

The deaths to date = 0.04317%
SAMXXV is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 10:01
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Planet no. 3
Posts: 108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SAMXXV
UK population in 2019 = 66.55 million
UK Covid-19 deaths as of today = 28734

The deaths to date = 0.04317%
Sorry, and this is getting off-topic, but the real number as per Financial Times is around 50k. This is with a lockdown. Without it you'd probably be looking at half a million. Your point is?
vlieger is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 10:03
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A little South of North
Posts: 275
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PilotLZ, the problem will be that the world will only keep going for a short while before another, possibly more disastrous, wave hits us and sends the economy crashing in flames regardless. Better to keep some form of control than being gung-ho about it.
Pistonprop is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 10:11
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vlieger
Sorry, and this is getting off-topic, but the real number as per Financial Times is around 50k. This is with a lockdown. Without it you'd probably be looking at half a million. Your point is?
My point is that there is a vast difference between the quoted 1% & the true(ish) figure of 0.04317% !!!!
SAMXXV is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 10:29
  #36 (permalink)  

"Mildly" Eccentric Stardriver
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: England
Age: 77
Posts: 4,159
Received 230 Likes on 69 Posts
Come on mods. This thread is getting silly, and not a little acrimonious. Please either close it or move it to Jet Blast, and let the grown ups on here have sensible discussions.
Herod is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 10:44
  #37 (permalink)  
Pegase Driver
 
Join Date: May 1997
Location: Europe
Age: 74
Posts: 3,700
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Herod
Come on mods. This thread is getting silly, and not a little acrimonious. Please either close it or move it to Jet Blast, and let the grown ups on here have sensible discussions.
I second that !
ATC Watcher is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 11:01
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Beds outback
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, below is an example of how we can all end up with the virus very quickly, and I imagine the passengers spilled out unchecked ready to infect anybody they are staying with in London ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-52539141

NorvernSuvna is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 11:02
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A little South of North
Posts: 275
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, arguably, there's only so much you can say about KLM resuming services to three destinations!!!
Pistonprop is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 11:26
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 216
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistonprop
Well, arguably, there's only so much you can say about KLM resuming services to three destinations!!!
But it is a start and we could discuss if there is more airlines could do to get potential customers back in the air.
That KLM is opening 3 routes is a positive step in the right direction. At least they are not just sitting on their proverbials waiting for more handouts of fresly printed readies from their government. But much more is needed. Now they need to come with up and widely promote some new safety measures of their own. If they are keeping the middle seat free, tell people. Are they demanding face masks, annnounce it. It is measures like that that will convince more to fly. Not being coy about what will meet you at the airport.

The flight has to be more than 90% full to make a profit times have gone, for now. It will take time and a lot more knowledge about the status of CoVid19 before that comes back. In the meantime airlines have a choice between just waiting it out or proactively doing something about it. Just complaining we can't adapt to changed times will convince very few to fly. It won't be the airlines that barely survives until normality that comes strengthened out of this compared to the competition. It will be the ones that can prove they have an adaptable business also in bad times.
vikingivesterled is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.