Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Ryanair pilot strike

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Ryanair pilot strike

Old 9th Jul 2018, 12:04
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 344
Originally Posted by 737 Jockey View Post
Or you could say that all parties couldn’t have ‘succeded’ without the other, and that everyone should benefit from that ‘success
They do from the perspective of risk/reward.

Pilots, and staff for that matter, do not risk their homes and livelihood when they take on a job. people who start companies take huge financial risks with their failies and home and should get the lions share of the reward as a result.

Anyone who doesn't like that is welcome to go and starts their own airline.

Its a curiously British trait of expecting all the rewards from starting a company. without the hassle of actually having to put your home on the line and live off reduced monies in the early days. That's why Silicon Valley could never happen in the UK - too many folks wanting a cut of someone elses company while asking others to take all the risk.
GrahamO is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2018, 12:05
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 60 north
Age: 55
Posts: 1
Dude

Indeed
I have more licences and typeratings then strictly needed.
All payed by the Company I worked for at any given time!
I now regularly fly with 23 year old FOs with a direct investment of 150 000euros.
Last week I had one that started his type 2017 july and had final line check this June.
Except for ca 80 hrs line training pay at a low rate he lived for 11 MONTHS off the Bank.

Anyway
Details! Work in Progress!
Progress! And the BIG picture!!
The future is so bright, were is my Ray Bans?!!
Gone Flying
Regards
Cpt B

Last edited by BluSdUp; 9th Jul 2018 at 12:07. Reason: Selling as usual!
BluSdUp is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2018, 18:57
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by BluSdUp View Post
Indeed
I have more licences and typeratings then strictly needed.
All payed by the Company I worked for at any given time!
I now regularly fly with 23 year old FOs with a direct investment of 150 000euros.
Last week I had one that started his type 2017 july and had final line check this June.
Except for ca 80 hrs line training pay at a low rate he lived for 11 MONTHS off the Bank.

Anyway
Details! Work in Progress!
Progress! And the BIG picture!!
The future is so bright, were is my Ray Bans?!!
Gone Flying
Regards
Cpt B
I imagine you regularly petition your direct management to support sponsored selection and training of new flight crew.
Journey Man is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2018, 21:36
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fairest of them all
Posts: 138
You initial LOCO fellows allowed the likes of ROL and his ilk and their business model to rape and abuse our profession. He devided and ruled supremely by appealing to the greed and desperation of the low time pilots and offering different contracts. My current position 28 years into my carreer is under threat and I may have to move to another country thanks partly to LOCO carrier's..
Unite and fight your own battles as you should of many years ago. For once GROW A PAIR B
Unhooked is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 06:42
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 7,086
Originally Posted by Unhooked View Post
You initial LOCO fellows allowed the likes of ROL and his ilk and their business model to rape and abuse our profession. He devided and ruled supremely by appealing to the greed and desperation of the low time pilots and offering different contracts. My current position 28 years into my carreer is under threat and I may have to move to another country thanks partly to LOCO carrier's..
Unite and fight your own battles as you should of many years ago. For once GROW A PAIR B
If you trawl PPRuNe you find dozens if not hundreds of posts from people desperate to become pilots and to move into airline jobs. I'm afraid they won't help preserve the status-quo never mind fight for better conditions if the alternative is reaching their goal.

TBH the airline business has changed so much over the last 30 years it is hardly recognisable outside of a few National Carriers. Every one can scream and rail about the results but I'm afraid that, like so many industries, the old ways have gone forever. This isn't really a choice between good & evil - it's the way of the world and I don't think it can be stopped
Heathrow Harry is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 10:36
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 280
The heart of this is the entrepreneurial advocacy. They are the sole risk takers & even MOR will have held his breath in the early years. I do admire them as they directly resulted in my career opportunities & advancement. Of course, he has taken advantage of the trend in order to maximise profit, quickly. If sponsored cadet training was the only option, these high flying risk takers would have found ways to profit, even from that. Imagine, say, the Ryanair College of Air Training based at some glorious Irish airfield. All fees paid upfront to final line check. BUT, ....................then......................all fees returned to the company through reduced salary over ten years.(plus interest, of course). There. End of. College expands to take cadets sponsored (similar deal) by other airlines. Blimey, massive money maker, massive profits and applicants lining up from all over the place. Oh, and I should be Principal. Awaiting M's phone call.
Gordomac is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 11:54
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 412
They already did that. You don't really think CAE got the entire 30k for a 73 type rating down do you? Also all the intermediaries that take a slice of the action of the contractors payments. Hard to believe that FR don't benefit in some shape or form from Brookfield or suchlike. I can't imagine they just gave away that income stream for free to an agency wanting to employ pilots without a kick back.
MCDU2 is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 15:35
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Centre of Universe
Posts: 67
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...says-1.3561268

30 flights cancelled - with the way FR work their crews that's what 8 crews on strike........
GKOC41 is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2018, 08:20
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: I wish I knew
Posts: 611
Both sides indicated a willingness at the talks to set up a working group to deal with the issues raised by pilots, which include base transfers, promotion, leave allocation and other areas covered by seniority.
However, Fórsa spokesman Bernard Harbor said afterwards that they failed to agree terms of reference for this group, as both sides came up with conflicting proposals.
"Terms of reference" in other words the Company wanted anyone who agrees with them on the group and the union wanted anyone who disagrees with the Company.. Probably the Company also wanted members to use AVAC days to attend meetings and buy their own water at the meeting!
Avenger is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2018, 08:43
  #30 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: on a beach
Age: 63
Posts: 318
Around 100 of the 350 Irish pilots went on strike yesterday. How come the other 250 pilots didn't go on strike?
This might just be the beginning.
Ryanair pilots, the time is now.
beachbumflyer is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2018, 09:46
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Top Bunk
Posts: 202
Originally Posted by beachbumflyer View Post
Around 100 of the 350 Irish pilots went on strike yesterday. How come the other 250 pilots didn't go on strike?
This might just be the beginning.
Ryanair pilots, the time is now.
Can't help but admire your intentions, however ryr is populated by legions of those sort of people who would sell/kill their mother to get ahead.
O' Misery takes advantage of that. End of story





exploits that
45989 is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2018, 13:41
  #32 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: on a beach
Age: 63
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by 45989 View Post
Can't help but admire your intentions, however ryr is populated by legions of those sort of people who would sell/kill their mother to get ahead.
O' Misery takes advantage of that. End of story





exploits that
I know that, I've seen many of those, but you have to keep on trying, some day some of them will see it.
beachbumflyer is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2018, 22:52
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 35
To the Ryanair pilots currently in dispute, I salute you, your actions defend both the weakest and the strongest in our profession. Thank you.

i hope this is a catalyst for further support.

For anybody on the fence, the time is now..... Unity cannot lose.


Stand up and be counted or bend over and be mounted.
no slot is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2018, 09:47
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: HK
Posts: 7
Why the lack of coordination between the unions in different countries with these strikes? You essentially have other Ryanair pilots coming in to cover for striking Ryanair pilots which is madness. Need to shut down the entire airline for 24 hours not just a few flights out of Ireland.
YellowFever777 is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2018, 15:48
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,309

YellowFever777 , 17th Jul 2018 09:47
Why the lack of coordination between the unions in different countries with these strikes?
Because in part (and has as has been pointed out by previous posters such as Nil further) the differing laws across Europe regarding Industrial Action probably can in some cases make cross border coordination difficult and possibly illegal
wiggy is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2018, 16:13
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: FL Whatever
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
They do from the perspective of risk/reward.

Pilots, and staff for that matter, do not risk their homes and livelihood when they take on a job. people who start companies take huge financial risks with their failies and home and should get the lions share of the reward as a result.

Anyone who doesn't like that is welcome to go and starts their own airline.

Its a curiously British trait of expecting all the rewards from starting a company. without the hassle of actually having to put your home on the line and live off reduced monies in the early days. That's why Silicon Valley could never happen in the UK - too many folks wanting a cut of someone elses company while asking others to take all the risk.

Just to be clear - you do know it wasn’t MOL who set up RyanAir?
Sir Anthony Ryan did that. O’Leary was just a goffer who in fact tried to persuade him to shut it down.
He got a share in the company from Ryan if he’d agree to babysit it and to try out Herb Kelleher’s new business model. Which worked well for him. Thank you Herb!

I see MOL in a very Trumpian style. A bigmouth who inherited money and a good idea, and believes he’s a genius for making it work. His minions regularly outwitted him to make Ryanair a success. He took the credit afterward. So like The Donald. A great self promoter if nothing else.
Don’t be taken in by the bluster.
ROW_BOT is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2018, 17:20
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Florida and wherever my laptop is
Posts: 1,274
RowBot
I see MOL in a very Trumpian style. A bigmouth who inherited money and a good idea, and believes he’s a genius for making it work. His minions regularly outwitted him to make Ryanair a success. He took the credit afterward. So like The Donald. A great self promoter if nothing else.
One of the main indicators of running a good business is to collect minions below you that out wit you, and fire those that cannot.
Ian W is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2018, 18:23
  #38 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: on a beach
Age: 63
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by ROW_BOT View Post



Just to be clear - you do know it wasn’t MOL who set up RyanAir?
Sir Anthony Ryan did that. O’Leary was just a goffer who in fact tried to persuade him to shut it down.
He got a share in the company from Ryan if he’d agree to babysit it and to try out Herb Kelleher’s new business model. Which worked well for him. Thank you Herb!

I see MOL in a very Trumpian style. A bigmouth who inherited money and a good idea, and believes he’s a genius for making it work. His minions regularly outwitted him to make Ryanair a success. He took the credit afterward. So like The Donald. A great self promoter if nothing else.
Don’t be taken in by the bluster.
Yeah, but he didn't copy the way Southwest treats its pilots and employees.
beachbumflyer is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2018, 19:13
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 114
SMT Member, Heathrow Harry and 45989 have it nailed. It's a bit rich for the LoCo crew to ask everyone to support them when they have spent the last two decades buying their jobs and stitching each other up.

There was a lad on here a few years ago seekig his first job. He wanted existing captains to strike until the airlines stopped charging for type ratings, wouldn't have it that those captains had worked their way up without paying for a TR or that the quickest way to stop the trade in buying a job was simply not to buy one.

Sorry but if you are seeking either sympathy or support both are in the dictionary somewhere between 'sh!t' and 'syphillis'.
Right Hand Thread is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2018, 19:50
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by Right Hand Thread View Post
SMT Member, Heathrow Harry and 45989 have it nailed ......

Sorry but if you are seeking either sympathy or support both are in the dictionary somewhere between 'sh!t' and 'syphillis'.
Perhaps the word that you’re looking for in the dictionary is ‘Scab’ ? There’s certainly a vague odor of it, drifting through some of the posts on this thread.


JPJP is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.