Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

August 2019 AAIB Bulletin

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

August 2019 AAIB Bulletin

Old 8th Aug 2019, 14:42
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Nigeria
Age: 55
Posts: 5,120
August 2019 AAIB Bulletin

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib...cureuil-g-plmh

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib...-as-350-vp-cih

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib...y-s-92a-g-ckxl

212man is online now  
Old 8th Aug 2019, 14:58
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Inside the Industry
Posts: 863
On the WDL, 7.6nm EBRA to BRAB vs 13.5nm EBRA to BRAA, didn’t the sector time seem a little short?
industry insider is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2019, 15:28
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Nigeria
Age: 55
Posts: 5,120
Originally Posted by industry insider View Post
On the WDL, 7.6nm EBRA to BRAB vs 13.5nm EBRA to BRAA, didn’t the sector time seem a little short?
My thoughts too!
212man is online now  
Old 8th Aug 2019, 23:08
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: uk
Posts: 248
Bet he / she was busier than the proverbial one-armed paper hanger doing this shuttle as a LTC with a newbie, also having had the intervention on the previous deck his / her mind might have been focused on the approach and lost sight of big picture.
finalchecksplease is online now  
Old 9th Aug 2019, 00:53
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Inside the Industry
Posts: 863
Bet he / she was busier than the proverbial one-armed paper hanger doing this shuttle as a LTC with a newbie, also having had the intervention on the previous deck his / her mind might have been focused on the approach and lost sight of big picture.
3 stops is not really a shuttle. Hard not to recognise the BRAA, always stands out with the 2 derricks. Don’t they carry EFBs with plates?
industry insider is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2019, 09:02
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Aberdeen
Age: 65
Posts: 2,052
I think it is ridiculous to tie up the AAIB resources on such a trivial thing. Landing somewhere isn’t an accident, and only an incident if you are the oil company lobby looking to moan about something. It is a shame the AAIB didn’t consider what the actual risk of a WDL was. There have been loads, and never has there been an actual safety issue. So it is all just a bit too hysterical.
HeliComparator is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2019, 09:41
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lost again...
Posts: 682
Originally Posted by HeliComparator View Post
I think it is ridiculous to tie up the AAIB resources on such a trivial thing. Landing somewhere isn’t an accident, and only an incident if you are the oil company lobby looking to moan about something. It is a shame the AAIB didn’t consider what the actual risk of a WDL was. There have been loads, and never has there been an actual safety issue. So it is all just a bit too hysterical.
Please don't confuse "never has there been an actual safety issue" with "never has there been an accident".

Landing on the wrong deck is a huge safety issue for a lot of reasons. That it has not yet led to a FOD event, Crane strike, Mid-air or any one of the other possible hazards is nothing more than good fortune.

"there have been loads" - Oh - that's all right then - must be fine if it happens all the time!
OvertHawk is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2019, 12:41
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Aberdeen
Age: 65
Posts: 2,052
Originally Posted by OvertHawk View Post
Please don't confuse "never has there been an actual safety issue" with "never has there been an accident".

Landing on the wrong deck is a huge safety issue for a lot of reasons. That it has not yet led to a FOD event, Crane strike, Mid-air or any one of the other possible hazards is nothing more than good fortune.

"there have been loads" - Oh - that's all right then - must be fine if it happens all the time!
But you don’t have any supporting evidence for your scaremongering. Where is the risk analysis? If WDLs were a significant safety issue then oil companies would have taken proactive steps such as installing red and green “traffic lights” on helidecks, making their names easier to read and less cryptic. But they didn’t bother because actually, it isn’t a big deal. Human pilots will always make mistakes given enough exposure. Giving them a hard time and using the taxpayer funded and overstretched resources of the AAIB to pressure them doesn’t help to reduce the probability of a recurrence because no-one does it deliberately. WDL have always happened and will continue to happen so long as all blame and responsibility is dumped on the pilots. Fact of life, get over it.
HeliComparator is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2019, 16:54
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 308
Well said HC.
roundwego is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2019, 17:11
  #10 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 13,516
I once landed in the correct place, but a month early. Not my fault, someone in the tasking cell thought that the seventh month was June, rather than July. No-one died.
ShyTorque is online now  
Old 9th Aug 2019, 22:36
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lost again...
Posts: 682
Originally Posted by HeliComparator View Post


But you don’t have any supporting evidence for your scaremongering. Where is the risk analysis? If WDLs were a significant safety issue then oil companies would have taken proactive steps such as installing red and green “traffic lights” on helidecks, making their names easier to read and less cryptic. But they didn’t bother because actually, it isn’t a big deal. Human pilots will always make mistakes given enough exposure. Giving them a hard time and using the taxpayer funded and overstretched resources of the AAIB to pressure them doesn’t help to reduce the probability of a recurrence because no-one does it deliberately. WDL have always happened and will continue to happen so long as all blame and responsibility is dumped on the pilots. Fact of life, get over it.
Fair enough then.

My mistake

Carry on!
OvertHawk is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2019, 01:04
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Inside the Industry
Posts: 863
Nice to see you back HC.

Of course, this can easily be explained. It’s actually the oil company’s fault for using the old fashioned S-92 without the built in WDL warning.

Had the oil company selected 225 for this contract with its superior built in WDL envelope protection, this kind of thing wouldn’t happen and the pilots could be absolved of any need to identify the destination.
industry insider is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.