Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

Training in the UK for IAA issued EASA FCL Licenses

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Training in the UK for IAA issued EASA FCL Licenses

Old 4th Jun 2019, 21:21
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 8
Training in the UK for IAA issued EASA FCL Licenses

Good Evening Everyone,

Firstly, I profusely apologise if this question/s are blindingly obvious to others and I hope others have trained this way before and are able to provide me with advice. Before I begin, allow me to provide some background and context. I am just about to embark on my flight training journey towards (hopefully) the fATPL. I have recently changed my SOLI to the Irish Aviation Authority due to medical hiccups with the CAA (I am based in the UK). I have received authorisation to sit my Initial Class 1 medical exam whenever I like (If anyone can recommend an AME in the UK that is rated for IAA C1 Initial's please do get in touch! Otherwise I have to wait months just to get an appointment in Dublin!).

My question/s is as long as I complete my training at an EASA Approved Training Organisation, can I complete my training in the UK? If so, what kind of things would I need to travel back to Ireland for? (My current thinking is things such as Theoretical Exams and RT Exams? Or would I be able to sit these in the UK? Also, if anyone knows, would I need an IAA approved examiner for my practical flight tests for each license or are some of these already based in the UK?

I have queried most of this to the IAA but correspondence isn't instantaneous and I'm rather excited and impatient as a result.

Again,
Apologies if some of this is glaringly obvious and I have missed all of this. If anyone could help and provide some advice I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you.
Pricey95 is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2019, 06:26
  #2 (permalink)  

 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: White Waltham, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 68
Posts: 3,817
Yes.

I've always found that you can ring the IAA and talk to somebody sensible,

Phil
paco is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2019, 08:56
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 8
Ha, not a truer word spoken!
Pricey95 is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2019, 13:05
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
Posts: 597
I know a couple of UK FE's who also hold IAA FE approval (or did). Is practical training at a UK approved ATO not then for issue of a UK CAA Part-FCL licence though? As suggested, best check with the IAA.
Reverserbucket is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2019, 08:08
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,444
The last time I checked, the IAA would not accept UK theoretical knowledge examinations for the issue of a PPL. It will be worth checking this before commencing PPL training.
BillieBob is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2019, 13:01
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by Pricey95 View Post
I have received authorisation to sit my Initial Class 1 medical exam whenever I like (If anyone can recommend an AME in the UK that is rated for IAA C1 Initial's please do get in touch! Otherwise I have to wait months just to get an appointment in Dublin!).
Have you tried Charter Medical in Dublin? I only had to wait a couple weeks for mine. You could also call Dr. Killeen in the Mountjoy Family Practice; he's the same doctor Charter use.

Originally Posted by Pricey95 View Post
My question/s is as long as I complete my training at an EASA Approved Training Organisation, can I complete my training in the UK? If so, what kind of things would I need to travel back to Ireland for? (My current thinking is things such as Theoretical Exams and RT Exams? Or would I be able to sit these in the UK?
Yes you can complete your training in an EASA ATO in the UK. There's nothing I can think of you'd need to travel back for. Once you sit all 14 exams in the UK you'll be accepted.

The IAA tests for RT during the PPL skills test. You don't sit a separate exam. You might need to enquire how to go about this.


Originally Posted by Pricey95 View Post
Also, if anyone knows, would I need an IAA approved examiner for my practical flight tests for each license or are some of these already based in the UK?
No, an EASA examiner will be fine. Just make sure you notifty the IAA of the skills test. They'll give you the procedure. There are schools across Europe who test under the IAA system using their national CAA examiners.


Finally, give Margaret a call in the IAA licensing department. She's best to contact by phone and is very helpful with any queries you might have.
ShamrockF is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2019, 08:30
  #7 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 8
ShamrockF Thank you ever so much for your reply it's been very useful indeed!

I am beginning my PPL this morning in the UK and will most definitely be giving Margaret a call!

Thanks once again,
Pricey95 is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 08:59
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 44
I'm in a similar situation except i'm doing my PPL training in Poland. Did you find any information on the RT exam ? From my understanding the isn't part of the IAA testing. Also did you find out if you can do the ELP test in the uk or do you have to go to ireland ?
asmith474 is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2019, 18:58
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by BillieBob View Post
The last time I checked, the IAA would not accept UK theoretical knowledge examinations for the issue of a PPL. It will be worth checking this before commencing PPL training.
Since writing my earlier post I found out the IAA may not accept the 9 PPL exams from the UK, but I don't believe there's any issue with the 14 ATPL exams. The best way to find out is to just call them.

Originally Posted by asmith474 View Post
I'm in a similar situation except i'm doing my PPL training in Poland. Did you find any information on the RT exam ? From my understanding the isn't part of the IAA testing. Also did you find out if you can do the ELP test in the uk or do you have to go to ireland ?
You can do your ELP exam in the UK, but it must be with an ELP examiner.

Here's a link to the info:
https://www.iaa.ie/personnel-licensi...age-assessment
ShamrockF is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.