Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) If you are regularly a passenger on any airline then why not post your questions here?

Tarmac delay

Old 12th Aug 2019, 01:14
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,503
I think the reasons why you were boarded are well covered by previous posters. It is a prudent thing to do.

As for service on the ground, at my carrier we do water services in these situations, it's just good customer service. Offering a full service is not impossible but can be challenging due to needing to guard the doors and then there is the need to be ready to go at a moments notice. But again, it does happen at my carrier from time to time.

For a route of the that length (3 hours), refreshment vouchers should be handed out if in the terminal. If onboard, a complimentary drink and/or snack is warranted. Two hours delay is the threshold for shorter routes. Again, at my carrier though, the senior crew are empowered to offer complimentary service, if they believe it to be warranted, on delays shorter than those. And yes, it's an LCC.
easyflyer83 is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2019, 14:25
  #22 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 934
Originally Posted by easyflyer83 View Post
I think the reasons why you were boarded are well covered by previous posters. It is a prudent thing to do.

As for service on the ground, at my carrier we do water services in these situations, it's just good customer service. Offering a full service is not impossible but can be challenging due to needing to guard the doors and then there is the need to be ready to go at a moments notice. But again, it does happen at my carrier from time to time.

For a route of the that length (3 hours), refreshment vouchers should be handed out if in the terminal. If onboard, a complimentary drink and/or snack is warranted. Two hours delay is the threshold for shorter routes. Again, at my carrier though, the senior crew are empowered to offer complimentary service, if they believe it to be warranted, on delays shorter than those. And yes, it's an LCC.
I contacted the Commission for Aviation Regulation just now and they state Under Regulation EC261 Article 6 subsection 1a and Article 9 care and assistance it states what is expected of the airline in case of delay. However if the aircraft is on stand with doors closed under the EU regulation (in this case of providing water/juice and a light snack) is not enforceable. If the airline does not board the passengers care and assistance is enforceable.
Sober Lark is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2019, 20:56
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,419
I guess RYR must be aware of that then and, as they don't care a damn about their customers, will take full advantage. Fortunately most (if not all) other airlines have a more humane attitude towards their customers. Time for a rule change?
Hotel Tango is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2019, 08:24
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Siargao Island
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by Hotel Tango View Post
I guess RYR must be aware of that then and, as they don't care a damn about their customers, will take full advantage. Fortunately most (if not all) other airlines have a more humane attitude towards their customers. Time for a rule change?
And if my name had been Mr Ryanair I would have done exactly the same thing.

I've been out of this malarkey for quite a few years now but in the old days, as an Operations Controller, the rule would be 'light refreshments' in excess of a 2 hour delay ... But in those days and average air fare was higher, with more fat, than the likes of RYR are charging today.

It was regular, as soon as we may hit a 30 minute or 60 minute delay a handling agent would be on "the passengers want food and drinks" and my regular response would be "Didn't these idiots eat before they left home?".

If they want food and drinks then pay for a fare where there is some fat to afford it or else fares increase and everybody has to pay more, kind of like RYR's wheelchair surcharge.



Harry Wayfarers is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2019, 13:22
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Europe
Age: 69
Posts: 172
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick Harry. Food was never the real issue in this thread. However, water was. For me it's not an issue of fare paid but of a basic health requirement if stuck in a metal tube for 3 hours with no other alternative. Remember that (apparently) pax were not even offered to purchase water!

Last edited by Sobelena; 17th Aug 2019 at 14:37.
Sobelena is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 04:31
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Siargao Island
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by Sobelena View Post
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick Harry. Food was never the real issue in this thread. However, water was. For me it's not an issue of fare paid but of a basic health requirement if stuck in a metal tube for 3 hours with no other alternative. Remember that (apparently) pax were not even offered to purchase water!
Perhaps I did get the wrong end of one stick but the stick that I had been reading was the suggestion that RYR has exempted themselves from EC261 etc. by boarding the passengers and closing the doors even though they weren't going anywhere.

What you're suggesting Sobelena is that it may have been better handled to prewarn the passengers that we're going to board you even though it is likely that you're not going anywhere for 3 hours so if you want to go and buy your sandwiches, bottles of drink etc. then do so now.

I think that would have made the situation worse, some refusing to board whilst others angry that they are expected to provide their own food and drinks for their incarceration, the cheaper the ticket then the worse the passenger and it would only take a few mighty mouthpieces to wind up the others and a situation whereas security would need to be called could easily develop.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.
Harry Wayfarers is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 12:23
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Europe
Age: 69
Posts: 172
Did I suggest that Harry? I don't think so. The thread has become confused. Here is a recap on my stance: Yes, board the pax in hope of an earlier slot becoming available. If that doesn't materialise then (if you're a lousy LCC as opposed to a good LCC) at the very least offer the option for pax to purchase water. For me, food is not an issue. My only beef is the non provision of water, free or not. Serving water in plastic glasses is also not an issue for a quick getaway should one be required. Whatever, being made to wait for 3 hours in a tin can without liquids is scandalous. I wonder if the FD n cabin crew went without too? I very much doubt it!
Sobelena is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 23:34
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Siargao Island
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by Sobelena View Post
Did I suggest that Harry? I don't think so. The thread has become confused. Here is a recap on my stance: Yes, board the pax in hope of an earlier slot becoming available. If that doesn't materialise then (if you're a lousy LCC as opposed to a good LCC) at the very least offer the option for pax to purchase water. For me, food is not an issue. My only beef is the non provision of water, free or not. Serving water in plastic glasses is also not an issue for a quick getaway should one be required. Whatever, being made to wait for 3 hours in a tin can without liquids is scandalous. I wonder if the FD n cabin crew went without too? I very much doubt it!
Well that in itself would cause a problem for me as a pax Sobelena because if they are doing a drinks service then, I wouldn't want water, I would want a beer but having previously experienced RYR's warm beer and their prices I would be asking to return to the terminal where I could sit at a bar supiing a nice pint of cold draught.

I flew RYR one round trip to/from VST (because I had business at VST airport and only RYR flew there), all VST trips thereafter I routed via ARN with legacy carriers, I swore then that I would never utilise RYR again, yes I got what I paid for but it wasn't the product for me thank you very much, on this occasion also these pax got what they paid for and it is for them to decide how they may travel in the future also.
Harry Wayfarers is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.