The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Brisbane Airshow

Old 29th Jun 2021, 12:30
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2
Brisbane Airshow

Just me, or has the Brisbane Airshow miraculously moved from this weekend to a weekend in October?
dtr1966 is offline  
Old 29th Jun 2021, 18:55
  #2 (permalink)  

Victim of a bored god

Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 1996
Location: Utopia
Posts: 6,788
https://www.brisbaneairshow.com.au/

16 - 17 October 2021. Seems logical in anticipation of possible Covid lock downs in July and an increased percentage of inoculation in October?
tail wheel is offline  
Old 29th Jun 2021, 21:41
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,056
They announced on Facebook and other media that it has been postponed due to Covid.
Squawk7700 is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2021, 14:10
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Ex-pat Aussie in the UK
Posts: 5,327
They announced on Facebook and other media that it has been postponed due to Covid.
Well, there isn't any effective covid in Australia ... so it's been postponed due to paranoid autocratic government and a population led to a position of fear.
Checkboard is online now  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 01:48
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,056
Originally Posted by Checkboard View Post
Well, there isn't any effective covid in Australia ... so it's been postponed due to paranoid autocratic government and a population led to a position of fear.
Really? You havenít been to a karaoke bar in Coober Pedy of late have you?
Squawk7700 is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 06:31
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Great South East, tired and retired
Posts: 3,477
there isn't any effective covid in Australia
How effective do you want it to be? A huge fork-up like the UK, US, Indonesia, China?

We are quite happy having less than 1000 covid deaths for our 25 million people.
Ascend Charlie is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 08:35
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 286
Just got the news that Ausfly is now cancelled, Events are dropping like flies !

mcoates is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 08:42
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 944
It's a bloody disgrace! The lunatic politicians are keeping the fear and hysteria active to a high degree so every organiser is sh1i scared!
machtuk is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 15:38
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Ex-pat Aussie in the UK
Posts: 5,327
We are quite happy having less than 1000 covid deaths for our 25 million people.
1500 - 3000 people die in Australia each year due to Influenza. The lockdowns this year meant that there were no flu deaths.

Influenza isn't going to go away (like COVID) - so do you advocate that we live with flu, as we have done since Federation, or Lockdown into the stone age to avoid those deaths as well?
Checkboard is online now  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 00:37
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 1,305
Originally Posted by Checkboard View Post
1500 - 3000 people die in Australia each year due to Influenza. The lockdowns this year meant that there were no flu deaths.

Influenza isn't going to go away (like COVID) - so do you advocate that we live with flu, as we have done since Federation, or Lockdown into the stone age to avoid those deaths as well?
I'm pretty sure NO ONE is advocating this, we're advocating that until we can get to this point we need to keep having lockdowns. Put it into perspective, 180million people worldwide have caught Covid19 (Probably many more due to lack of testing being available) and out of that about 3-4million have died (Once again, probably many more), this means 2% of all people that catch it have died even with all the extreme measures we have taken to prevent it. If we allowed this to spread throughout Australia and everyone caught it like Influenza this would mean around 500,000 deaths, so about 166x worse than Influenza. This is the number we're not willing to accept. Until we get a high enough level of Vaccination this is what we're trying to avoid.

Keep in mind that this figure doesn't even take into account the mutations that can occur, think of Influenza each year when a new strain appear and we have a bad year, think of what Covid could be like in this case. You also need to factor in what happens when the Hospital system crumbles under this weight and people start dieing of things that would normally be preventable. Another factor to consider is that as you said, we've been living with Influenza since Federation which means our bodies have had a lot of time to learn how to defend against it.

Don't get me wrong, the Government have much to answer for in their handling, the H1N1 Virus should have been our wake up call to prepare for these sorts of things and the Vaccine rollout is far slower than it should be along with terrible information from ATAGI on the real risks of the AZ Vaccine as (like any government Org they're scared paralysed of being liable), but make no mistake that we have come out the other end of this far better than just about any other country and the Vaccine rollout is starting to finally accelerate so we can get to a point soon of living with this like we do the Flu.
Ixixly is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 03:51
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Posts: 4,393
Originally Posted by Ixixly View Post
I'm pretty sure NO ONE is advocating this, we're advocating that until we can get to this point we need to keep having lockdowns. Put it into perspective, 180million people worldwide have caught Covid19 (Probably many more due to lack of testing being available) and out of that about 3-4million have died (Once again, probably many more), this means 2% of all people that catch it have died even with all the extreme measures we have taken to prevent it. If we allowed this to spread throughout Australia and everyone caught it like Influenza this would mean around 500,000 deaths, so about 166x worse than Influenza. This is the number we're not willing to accept. Until we get a high enough level of Vaccination this is what we're trying to avoid.

Keep in mind that this figure doesn't even take into account the mutations that can occur, think of Influenza each year when a new strain appear and we have a bad year, think of what Covid could be like in this case. You also need to factor in what happens when the Hospital system crumbles under this weight and people start dieing of things that would normally be preventable. Another factor to consider is that as you said, we've been living with Influenza since Federation which means our bodies have had a lot of time to learn how to defend against it.

Don't get me wrong, the Government have much to answer for in their handling, the H1N1 Virus should have been our wake up call to prepare for these sorts of things and the Vaccine rollout is far slower than it should be along with terrible information from ATAGI on the real risks of the AZ Vaccine as (like any government Org they're scared paralysed of being liable), but make no mistake that we have come out the other end of this far better than just about any other country and the Vaccine rollout is starting to finally accelerate so we can get to a point soon of living with this like we do the Flu.
Where's the damn like button!!! Well said.
Wizofoz is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 03:53
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Posts: 4,393
Originally Posted by Checkboard View Post
Well, there isn't any effective covid in Australia ...
How do you think that's been achieved? You say it like it's a bad thing!
Wizofoz is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 06:16
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 216
Ixixly,
Whilst I agree with some of the points in your post, that forecast death toll for Australia is completely off the mark. So yes, let's put it into perspective. If you look at the stats in the USA, out of a population of about 330 million they've had 33.7million cases. That means an infection rate of around 10% of the population. Of that 33.7 million cases they've had 605,000 deaths or around 1.8% of those infected. This translates into a death rate of about 0.18% of the population.
Now if you translate those figures to the Australian population of around 25 million, if we'd adopted the same hopeless strategy as the USA our stats would have been around 2.5million cases and 45,000 deaths, which is obviously bad but not 500,000!

We're well placed now to move forward especially now that a high percentage of elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated. We need to push ahead with the vaccines for everyone else and then look at opening up, especially the state borders. The tourism and hospitality, and of course aviation industries have suffered long enough.
IFEZ is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 13:51
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Ex-pat Aussie in the UK
Posts: 5,327
Now if you translate those figures to the Australian population of around 25 million, if we'd adopted the same hopeless strategy as the USA our stats would have been around 2.5million cases and 45,000 deaths, which is obviously bad but not 500,000!
From which you also have to subtract the deaths from poverty, dispair and undiagnosed cancers CAUSED by lockdown. Lockdown is not "free" - you have to pay for it in lives lost that would have gone on without it.

... and if you count in "years of life", then the young lives lost due lockdown begin to outweigh the old lives lost in covid.
Checkboard is online now  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 23:25
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: earth
Posts: 121
Sooo...
about the airshow ....

weather would have killed today anyway.
cbradio is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 00:23
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SEQ
Age: 52
Posts: 465
Too true, let's hope that the poor old organisers catch a break and it's 3rd time lucky.
spinex is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 03:27
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Posts: 4,393
Originally Posted by Checkboard View Post
From which you also have to subtract the deaths from poverty, dispair and undiagnosed cancers CAUSED by lockdown. Lockdown is not "free" - you have to pay for it in lives lost that would have gone on without it.

... and if you count in "years of life", then the young lives lost due lockdown begin to outweigh the old lives lost in covid.
I'd be amazed if you could find any statistics that backed that idea in an Australian context.
Wizofoz is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2021, 11:13
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Ex-pat Aussie in the UK
Posts: 5,327
Hi Wiz.

So, I'm in the UK - which has had more deaths, obviously. Here is the situation on the death toll due this pandemic in the UK:



In the UK during the lockdowns, one of the things that stopped was normal breast cancer screening. We know this picks up unknown cnacers at a statistical rate, so we can see the death rate that cost society:

Undetected breast cancers during the lockdown screening programme pause:

England – 7,374;
Scotland - 676;
Wales - 450;
Northern Ireland – 155.
In total 8,655.

Those women will present much later, with more developed cancer and greatly reduced recovery rates. They will not be on average aged 82 like Covid19 deaths. They will in fact be aged in their late 40's with decades of quality life ahead of them and often still caring for children.
https://breastcancernow.org/about-us...FtxX3oiMRe6TqM

That's not counting male cancers.
That's not counting poverty (children growing up with bad nutrition, home abuse, suicide, higher crime rates).
That's not counting drug & alcohol abuse increases, etc etc...

Lockdown isn't "free" - it costs lives too. Smart policy should be balancing these, not ignoring everything for one "medical expert"s opinion on one issue.
Checkboard is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.